Volvo

17 September 2014

Volvo V50 consumer car reviews and road tests

Volvo V50

Volvo V50 consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Volvo V50 consumer car reviews

Jim Beale, Ireland

Volvo V50 2.0 Diesel 2006

I have now had the car for nearly two years and I have got used to the good and the bad. The good parts are it has never broken down or let me down, it has heated memory seats that are worth their weight in gold, the two litre diesel is plenty strong enough for nearly everyone, the sound system is great, as is cruise control, climate control and all round comfort on smooth roads, advice on forums. Bad parts are fuel consumption is not that great, like all cars the wind noise can be intrusive at times, it’s a good bit smaller than other Volvo estates, the ’software’ is a concern at times, the dealers are very expensive considering the level of service provided and the A/C condenser is easily damaged by stones; I replaced my own for less than E200, and built a stone guard for the grill.

Submitted: 2014-03-03 | ID: 51589

John, County Down

Volvo V50 SE 1.6D 2007

Have had serious issues with this car since I bought it brand new in 2007. About a year ago the engine (1.6D) started losing power while accelerating. I’ve had numerous small fixes like cracked inlet hoses, air sensor etc. Mechanics have regenerated engine which fixes issue for a while but still comes back. From internet search there is a suggestion the turbo is being impacted by carbon particles from the engine. wonder how much that will cost...

Submitted: 2013-11-07 | ID: 51588

Jim Henderson, Dumfriesshire

Volvo V50 Drive E 2010

Traded in my 3 yr old Freelander TDI in view of economy, and £20 p.a. road tax on the V50 Drive E. This is the entry model so no blue tooth or onboard computer, but what a car! It has the capacity to take two nine gal beer kegs without disturbing the seating and makes little or no difference to the performance. My route to my business in Castle Douglas commences from my home with a very steep mile long gradient, which is before the engine has time to fully warm up. Freelanders, Citroen Picassos, wifie’s Skoda Fabia, all needed a turn of speed to keep their momentum on this hill. The 1.6 Drive needs no such acceleration beforehand and will actually accelerate in 5th gear whilst climbing this! All this and better economy than my almost Classic Mini 30! Yippee!!

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 51562

Brian Norkett, Cambridgeshire

Volvo V50 D 2008

I bought this car (ex lease car) from a dealership in Ampthill. They told me the front wheels needed balancing as there was vibration at 50+ MPH! I had the wheels checked and told no issues, but still had the vibrations as it appears I have air in the fuel line! On a more positive note I use my car for work and responding to emergencies. She is a comfortable ride and holds the road superbly, cornering like she is on rails and thinks nothing of travelling at speeds of up to 120 mph (before the comments she has covert lights insured for blue light response and driver fully trained). I just need to sort the air in fuel lines out. If not for the air problem she would get the full 5 stars!

I’d love to know where you got your covert blues fitted and any pics you might have - looking to do similar with mine! - Nick Foster from Hampshire

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 51571

Angus Allan, Scotland

Volvo V50 1.6 DRIVe 2009

Bought our first Volvo V50 DRIVe with stop start technology a couple of months ago. First impressions are that it is excellent. Has light-coloured interior, feels very nimble for the engine size, outstanding economy, but probably won’t hit the claimed MPG, although it has the most comfortable seats I’ve experienced for a long while. I also looked at the Audi A4, Volkswagen Golf and other small estates, but I’m really glad I bought this one. Very pleased with it. Feels very well put together and attractively-styled interior. Much more interesting design than other makes we looked at.

Submitted: 2013-02-11 | ID: 51573

Jim Henderson, Dumfriesshire

Volvo V50 V50 Drive E s.stp 2010

Traded my 2 yr old Freelander TD Sport for present model Drive E, not without misgivings. Now Volvo have discontinued my V50 model for a newer shape, which I don’t like. My present V50 looks well, drives well and is difficult to beat for comfort, style and economy. In other words, it suits my purpose admirably and I can still get two golf trolleys and bags, plus four passengers in it! Have owned two Volvo 245s in my time, but no longer have need for a car that size. so the V70s upwards no longer appeal, due to their size and certainly do not match the economy of the Drive E s. Looks like I will hang on to my existing model for quite some time, or until a vehicle with similar attributes appear on the market.

I fully agree. The new models leave me cold in comparison to the V50. I’ve very pleased with my 2010 Drive E and see no path forwards with a new Volvo at this time. Niggles, the Stop/Start has stopped (verging on gimmick anyway) and the dealer has failed to resolve in warranty. And I’m about to replace a sun roof seal (at 4.5 years old which I think is poor). This is my 5th sun roof equipped Volvo and each sunroof lasted twice as long, one lasted to 13 years before scrapping - Dave Mitchell from Kent

Submitted: 2012-11-25 | ID: 51574

Nigel Westwood, Sussex

Volvo V50 d5 2.4 se lux 2008

I have inherited my v50 from my father who recently passed on. Before dying he had the 90,000 mile service done at 79,000 and had told us he had had a thermostat changed by a non volvo garage after the car overheated and volvo said, "sounds like a head gasket but we can investigate starting with £100 to analise data and gas check". The non Volvo garage checked the oil cap and header tank and said thermostat was a more likely and cheaper option. All was fine, no problems in traffic, then a few days ago I went into London to drop my girlfriend off at work and the car suddenly overheated, without warning, after five minutes in stop start traffic. After getting the car recovered I decided this was going to need analysing on Volvo’s computer. They quoted me £113 to run a check and change the coolant (1 hr). The data soon showed that the fan was at fault, or the circuit. Then things got a bit silly, they could not try a new fan on the car to see if it was faulty due to their company policy that all parts ordered must be used. They then they said there was just as much chance the ecu was at fault because there was corrosion on the ecu board caused by ingress. They said maybe a pressure washer had caused the problem and this was not something Volvo covered after three years. Then they said they could adapt a different fan to fit just for the test, which would take up to 2 1/2hrs and therfore cost £280 without having fixed anything. At this point I was gutted, a design fault by Volvo had caused the damage and they were not interested in admitting blame. It seems there is info on the net that states this damage is common when vents in the bonnet get blocked by leaves and the like, water then drips onto the ecu and gets in. So I took the car away to think of cheaper ways to deal with the problem. I Found a new fan for £75 and a reprogrammed ecu for £300; a fraction of the cost it could have been, but still a lot of money for a Volvo design blunder.

Submitted: 2012-08-04 | ID: 51565

Andy, Kent

Volvo V50 2.4 SE Petrol 2006

I bought my V50 from new and it’s now in its sixth year of largely trouble-free ownership. It is only a recent aircon problem (leak in the condenser - £900 for the main dealer to fix) that has caused me to look at these sites. But I think one major issue in six years is fairly respectable. I’m pleased with the looks, it is still a relatively rare sight and it hasn’t dated (at least from the front, it is easier on the eye than the new V40 and V60, in my opinion). The size and manoverablity around town suit us well. Performance is strong in this model and the handling is good. The space in the back is limited when I am driving (5’11’’), but it is still adequate for my smallish kids and you can get a lot of stuff in there with the back seats down. The lack of cubbies is a pain, but we all knew that when we were buying! I’m a low mileage driver so the mpg doesn’t bother me too much, but it is pretty poor at around 29mpg in town, due to the consumption of the now discontinued 5-cylinder petrol engine. Against that, it is pretty fast if you floor it and I paid for this car outright a long time ago!

Submitted: 2012-06-28 | ID: 51563

Brian Atherton, Cardiff

Volvo V50 2004

A good car, but it has obvious problems with water coming inside the passenger footwell compartment, and on my 2004 18 cc not a smooth gearbox.

Submitted: 2012-06-21 | ID: 51564

Thomas Porky-Hooten, Cornwall

Volvo V50 1.6D R-design 2012

On the whole I am very pleased with my latest Volvo in a long line. The car drives very well on the whole with a forgiving, fairly powerful diesel engine that not only offers a quick driving response, but also excellent fuel economy. The interior although modern doesn’t feel austere in its design despite it being minimalist. Additionally the seats are extremely comfortable and incorporate more R-design features such as two tone leather. The 18inch alloys give a rather firm ride inside, however, they add to the sporty design outside.

Submitted: 2012-05-28 | ID: 51566

Thomas Barker-Finch, England

Volvo V50 2.5 D5 R-design 2010

The cars overall design is enhanced further with the R-design package, which although makes it look sportier it does affreect the ride as the 18inch alloys mean it is quite firm. THe boot space is adequate for a normal family and our dog is happy to ride the car for long journeys. The interior design incorporates the modern sporty look on the outside further. The floating centre console is finished nicely in a variety of different, unorthodox finishes. Would recommend to anyone wanting a medium-sized family car or for a business executive. We have enjoyed our ownership of the car and expect to for many more years.

Submitted: 2012-05-27 | ID: 51570

George Sabatique, Cheshire

Volvo V50 2.0d se 2008

I have had no probelms with this car despite doing over 100,000 miles in it from when I purchased it in 2008. The 2.0D was the pick of the bunch in the years leading up to 2010, however the release of the 1.6 Drive-e diesel is the one to have if MPG is extremely important. The interior design and fit out is of a very hig standard. The best materials seem to have been used and everything is well screwed together.

Submitted: 2012-05-27 | ID: 51569

Ben Simmer, England

Volvo V50 1.6 d se lux 2012

Great car that is sadly comming to the end of its production despite it being one of Volvo’s best selling cars in recent years. The modern interior, having a sleek and contemporary design was the thing that attracted me most. Having owned Saabs before I can safely say this is one of the cars that is most near in design as it too benefits from scandinavian design. I would reccomend this car to anyone.

Submitted: 2012-05-26 | ID: 51568

Robert Andrew, Northamptonshire

Volvo V50 SE Drive 2009

I drive circa 25K per year in my V50 so in the two and half years I have owned it, it has clocked up 65k. With my previous 1.6 Focus I was getting circa 50mpg with the V50 I am just clearing just over 57mpg and it is getting better as it gets older. It will run for a further three and half years so it will have something close to 150k on it when I finish. Apart from wheel alignment from hitting a hole in the road and tyres (the front last for 35k and the rear 52k) I have had nothing to pay for except normal servicing. It has had two minor recalls and the only warranty item was a rusty cam, so the belt and cam was changed at 50k. Ford quoted 52.4mpg for the Focus and without the start stop Volvo quote the same for the V50 and as I do not do very much town driving that is probably a more sensible figure to use as comparison. The company I work for has circa 2500 vehicles in the fleet and very few get closer that 80% to the mpg quoted by the manufacturers. I find the V50 comfortable, handles well is not too big, but big enough for what I want and pretty smooth. I have the 5 gear original version I believe the new have 6 which would tighten the ratios, but provided the engine does not rev too high as you pull away the car is fine and economical. In my 35 years of driving this sort of mileage I have just gone over the 1M miles and I am quite happy with what I have got

Submitted: 2012-05-16 | ID: 51567

Craig J, Scotland

Volvo V50 1.6D S 2008

A superb car, which has so far given 33,000 trouble-free miles. As a compact estate the V50 is really quite roomy though there’s a distinct lack of cubby space for nick-nacks. A joy to drive once I fitted it with Uniroyal Rainsport 2’s. It goes where you point it and with very little lean in corners. I’m averaging 56 mpg over a tank of fuel on a mix of motorway, A and B roads and when I compare it to my previous car (Smart Forfour 1.5TDi Passion) which averaged 49mpg, I am well please with the Volvo. I had 4.5yrs of trouble-free motoring with the Smart and it looks as if the V50 is heading the same way. Like the Smart, the V50 is none-too-common on our streets and it often draws admiring looks and comments. People who complain about the size or flexibility of this car ought to have noticed this when they test-drove it so it seems odd that they now find it too small for their needs. Personally, I carry passengers occasionally, but mostly it’s just me and my labrador and the car is easily big enough. I like the level of kit that comes on this ’basic’ car though I may opt for cruise-control next time. But I knew it didn’t have this when I bought it and the car is definitely fun to drive and has excellent fuel economy. I love it!

V50 2.0 diesel: not overly impressed with the car after a month of ownership. Traded in a 318i and the quality of the fittings and fixtures was much better in the BMW. Likewise the handling, road-holding and general noise suppression was better in the BMW. I accept that the V50 is a Focus in a party dress and having had a Focus before I was happy to see the Volvo in that light. Diesel engine has great grunt and easily spins the wheels pulling out of junctions and in wet conditions. The heated leather memory seats are fantastic and so is the high performance sound system; my daughter hates the Stone Roses at full belt. First week had the car running up to Belfast perfectly and later was filled with child fallout (old toys) for a run to the tip. All has gone well with the car but I am not sure I will buy another V50, a 520i touring will have to be first choice - Jim Beale from Ireland

Submitted: 2011-11-06 | ID: 51586

Nigel Summers, Surrey

Volvo V50 DS 2007

I bought this tin of rubbish and I am now totally regretting it. It has done 80K and has had: a new starter motor, new manual transmission assembly, crankshaft oil seals, new turbo and intercooler, new DMF, clutch and slave cylinder at 75K and now needs another new one. I had an old 340, which went on for 17 years and was always reliable, but this V50 is a total load of rubbish and a disgrace to what was a good marque. It has to be the noisiest car I have ever driven, which can be very annoying on long runs; anything over 30mph and it drowns out the sound system.

I agree with Nigel, I have a 55 plate S40 diesel euro 4 engine, it has gone through, a new starter motor, alternator, steering lock, the car was stuck on the drive had to be trailered away, and the bills keep coming, a new power steering reservoir last week, £100, and now it’s going into limp mode. The dealer says it’s to do with the diesel particulate filter, even though I had this changed at its correct interval at 72,000 miles, it has only lasted 39,000 miles instead of another 72k. The car has never missed a service admittedly it is now on 109,000 miles but the last two cars I had both Rover 45s were good for 120k plus with only a split radiator hose as a source of any problem. The S40 should not be confused with the reliable Swedish built cars of days gone by - I Connolly from East Timor

Submitted: 2011-08-11 | ID: 51584

Andy Douglass, Derbyshire

Volvo V50 SE Lux Stop Start 2011

First a challenge: To all with more than 1 star for this car, please quote your mpg! I got this car in April 2011 for its economy; at 25,000 miles/year it should be a big saving. How wrong!!! My previous BMW 320D Tourer 170 bhp was fun to drive but only 51 mpg average over the 60k miles I had it, (similar with Passat before that). So the V50 115bhp with 8k on the clock is averaging 52mpg and to get this I am driving like there is an egg shell between my foot and the pedal, with the air-con off most of the time. The car is currently with Volvo (5 days and counting) to solve: 1) Poor fuel consumption 2) Severe "clunk" in the gearbox when changing gear 3) "Reduced engine performance" alarm; this has happened on two occasions so far. In addition it’s already had the dual mass flywheel changed to try and sort out the gearbox clunk. Also, the steering wheel radio and cruise control switches get hot. I totally agree with other posts concerning Volvo claims, which are bordering on lies for the claimed mpg, which were the only reason I went for this car. My advice to anyone is if you are a Volvo nut then OK, but go in with open eyes (and a clunking gearbox), otherwise the BMW or Passat offer more honest claims on achieveable mpg figures and are more fun to drive.

I have had my 61 plate SE LUX for nearly three months now and have covered 5k miles already. As I had a Ford Mondeo 2.0 estate previously I was looking forward to increased fuel economy, Mondeo averaged 42- 46 mpg over 83k miles loaded/unloaded. Chose the Volvo for tax and fuel reasons. Now I know the mpg figures claimed are for comparison only between manufacturers as the laboratory set up bears no relation to actual driving but I am averaging 48 mpg driving very carefully. Over time maybe an increase, but nowhere near the claimed. The whole ’green’ claims by manufacturers to entice people to buy is lies. 74 mpg for combined claim Volvo. Also worrying is I also have the ’Clunk’ from the gear change. If you have not looked into how the offical figures are obtained, it’s worth a read. Looks like a visit to Volvo? - Keith Pilborough from Buckinghamshire

I am having the same problem with mine. It’s a 61 reg and I am not getting the fuel consumption I thought I would. I have only managed to get 600 miles out of the tank before the fuel light come on, yet the car said I should get 800 miles. I am averaging 59-60 MPG on it. I too have had that issue with the reduced engine performance, it has only happened once so far but I often get clunking noises too. So far, the car has done 6.5k miles. When it goes in for a service, I will make sure I get these issues checked! Have you managed to get the issues fixed and get better fuel consumption now? - Michelle Cox from Essex

It will be no surprise to learn I have had a similar experience with my company car: Volvo V50 1.6 Drive. It has covered 18,000 miles now and the story so far makes interesting reading. First thing to fail was the turbo at 8 weeks old! The car was running fine and delivering 65-68mpg prior to this, then the passenger door would not unlock from the inside. The dealer told me no fault found! Guess I will have to provide video evidence! At 9,000, the fuel economy was at best 57mpg but mostly 51mpg. The tick over became rough like a diesel from the 1980s, engine became weak when setting off and a misfire developed. This eventually developed further into noticeable diesel knock and fuel economy never bettered 48mpg even though my use is roads and motorways at 50-70 mph. The dealer reloaded the software for the ECU and did an adaptation run. Tick over now quite good and flat spot gone, much better to drive but alas the MPG is still only 54 and steadily gets worse. Taken back to Volvo and given a T3 2.0 diesel for the day it does 52mpg (3000 miles from new) and the engine is quite simply first class. Sadly I was given my car back and told nothing wrong with it! My own private car is a much larger 4.0 v8 diesel and returns 35-39 mpg in similar use but is only claimed to do 25-29 mpg. Volvo claim this car should give combined MPG over 70 MPG NOT A CHANCE NOT EVER UNLESS YOU FIND A VERY LONG HILL! My message is just do not bother it’s not worth the free road tax! - Andy Davison from Yorkshire

I agree with all that has been said re the mpg. On my 61 plate drive e, I would also add that they are the mosy uncomfortable seats I have had the displeasure to sit in, oh how I wish I had forgot the BIK and gone for the BMW 1 series - Colin Haffenden from Sussex

Submitted: 2011-08-11 | ID: 51579

Claire Janocha, Germany

Volvo V50 2008

I’ve just bought a 3 year old Volvo V50, less than 2 months ago. Last week it lost power to the point of almost breaking down and when I took it to be looked at I was told the particle filter was in a terrible state. The shocking thing is this was bought from a Volvo dealer (Nurnberg) and they must have sold it knowing the particle filter was about to go (either that or they didn’t bother checking it.) We had paid much more than a private deal in order to feel reassured that it was thoroughly checked by the dealer. The particle filter is apparently not covered by the warranty. Who would guess that Volvo are a bunch of cowboys? I’m a very unsatisfied customer who will never buy another Volvo.

Other than the state of the particle filter this review appears to contain nothing about the V50. This review is a (perhaps justifiable) critical report on a very poor dealership. Rather than never again buying another Volvo, it would be totally understandable if this lady chose never again to buy a car from this dealership. However, as a review of the Volvo V50, this is a very poor review and the star rating (which obviously applies to the dealership rather than the car) should be ignored - C J from Lanarkshire

These days it is very common to see that car dealerships do not inform properly about the correct driving of cars fitted with DPF (diesel particulate filtre). That is, diesel cars fitted with DPF are not suitable for mainly or total urban driving (frequent and short trips) because the escape gases do not reach the temperature necessary for cleaning the DPF. The resulting situation is that the DPF gets obstructed with unburnt soot. Urban drivers beware of diesel cars. Petrol engines are better for city use - Minguez Vallejo Eduardo from Spain

Submitted: 2011-08-09 | ID: 51576

David Berry, Durham

Volvo V50 2.0 D 2006

A lovely car to drive, but shocking reliability and eye-wateringly expensive to fix. Just out of warranty the dual-mass flywheel failed. Volvo UK’s inclination to help was going to depend, incredibly, on the number of Volvos we’d previously owned. Two, which in their view, was insufficient to incline them to be helpful. The full whack? £1760. Hot on the heels of this, a complete electrical failure; random error messages; lights , windows, wipers doing their own thing - like driving a clown’s car; immobiliser kicking in now and then for a laugh! We paid for the dealer to pull all the wires apart and join them together again. They had no idea what the problem was and we fully expect it to happen again. The air con gave up at roughly the same time as the flywheel. After looking at other peoples’ stories re the V50’s air con system, I’m not even going to bother trying, I’ll live with it and save the £1000+ for something nicer. Never again.

Submitted: 2011-07-12 | ID: 51561

Jon Fairfield, Derbyshire

Volvo V50 2.0 SE D 2005

Disaster area; this car has done 90K miles, nearly all on motorway so it hasn’t had a hard life, and has been properly serviced. A never-ending series of expensive failures: three wheel bearings; nearside electrics wiring loom; dashboard out for three days to replace faulty air-con component; blocked sunroof drains which trashed the carpets; faulty DPF sensors causing random power loss; cd autochanger packed up; driver’s seat that rocks from side to side. This is what happens when you buy cars built by people who don’t care, using cra**y components from Ford’s spares bins. Wish I’d bought the Mazda 6.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 51560

James, Dorset

Volvo V50 2.0d sport 2007

Is a nice car to drive, but its not put together very well, ours had to have a new starter immediately (was 2 years old) then the aircon never worked and it had a new condenser (£550 fitted at an indy, but went DIY on it and was £200), it has a very noisey turbo which is going to need replacing soon, if you turn on the rear heated screen the radio reception fails. Had to have a new clutch and DMF £1100 and now something feels a little odd when driving in a straight line on changing camber roads. That’s the first year of ownership! oh and it averages 41MPG driven by my wife who is not the most aggresive driver in the world. All that said it’s nice to drive and my wife for some reason loves it, so it could be the car for you!

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 51549

Malcolm Pratt, Devon

Volvo V50 Drive 1-6 Auto Stop Start 2010

Great allround car will cruise all day at 70 mph, nice to have a normal hand brake, much better than the one fitted to our V70. However ride and road noise on our unkept rural roads can be a bit over bearing, a change of tyres may help this. Also whilst we return around 54 mpg no matter what we do short of pushing it with the engine turned of we cannot get near Volvo’s claimed figures of 70 mpg, even if nursed along. Noise and ride apart the car is very relaxing to drive even at 6ft and not very thin. I would not hesitate to suggest it to any one else.

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 51550

Ian Pope, Hampshire

Volvo V50 Diesel Sport 2007

Very disappointed with the quality of this car. Bought a Volvo because of their reputation for solid and reliable build. Six months out of warranty the air conditioning system started condensing into the rear passenger footwell which filled up with water. Dealer could not find a fault and wanted the car for two days whilst they stripped the inside out to find the fault at my expense and Vovlo UK were not interested. Now I’ve had to have the dual mass fly wheel and clutch changed because the flywheel has failed. Flywheel has potential to seriously damage the engine if it fails whilst being driven, it can snap the driveshaft. Am writing to Volvo to complain but on previous experience, they are not too concerned about their reputation. This is not a quality car and I will not buy another Volvo.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-10 | ID: 51551

Samantha Searles, Hampshire

Volvo V50 SE Lux Drive 2010

We are very disappointed in the misleading claims made about the green credentials of this car. We used the VCA fuel consumption figures to make a relative decision when choosing our new car. We wanted the most fuel efficient estate available and compared the Volvo V50 figures to other estates and also our car at the time, a BMW 330D Sport. With the latter we averaged 45mpg against the published combined figure of 42.2mpg, with the new V50 we purchased we are now getting 50mpg against a published combined figure of 72.3mpg. Despite continued attempts to get Volvo to address the issue they have been dismissive and arrogant and worryingly for a company purporting to sell ’green’ cars, they seem disinterested in the problem. We know the figures are to compare cars and that is what we did. But Volvo will not even look at our car and the dealer has said there is nothing wrong with it (in fact they even said that we are lucky with the consumption we are getting because their V50s achieve less!). The VCA fuel consumption tests are intended to allow customers to make informed choices between different cars. That is their function. However, our car was supposed to be the most fuel efficient estate car (by some degree) but it is certainly not, and we are convinced that whichever car went through the tests, it was not the same as the car sold to us.

I have read your review and have had the same experience. I was informed by the salesman that I would achieve an average of 60 mpg and am currently getting 49 mpg! I bought the car on the understanding that I would get the 60 mpg figure. Where do we go next in order to have Volvo answer this failure... I shall contact Which Consumer Association and take their advice! - David Barker from Gloucestershire

I agree Samantha, think yourself lucky to be getting 50 mpg. Ive had mine since September and my 1.6 D manages to give me a whopping 38mpg. It’s a complete lie and I think seriously misrepresents the truth. First and last Volvo I will buy - David Green from Lancashire

I’ve had my V50 Drive S/S for three months now and it’s loosening up nicely. Never below 55mpg and that’s with mixed driving conditions throughout the Highlands. A recent trip from Inverness to Aberdeen on the infamous A96 saw 71.2mpg, that was with a busy road resulting in a journey 15 mins longer than usual. Once I get the cabin temp to my liking I also switch off the climate control, makes a difference. 90% of the time it’s only me in the car as well, all this impacts on mpg. This has got to be one of the best cars I’ve owned - does what it says on the tin with a bit of class and very comfortable. Having traded down from cars like X5s and Disco 3, I don’t have any complaints - Stewart Meikle from Inverness-shire

I am so glad I have found this page. I bought my 59-plate V50 in August thinking I would get to within 10-15% of reported figures. How very wrong I was. I mostly do motorway driving and get 45-52mpg at very best. Very very dissapointed to the extent that I wonder if the reported mpg figures are actually kmpg figures in disguise. Anyone want to contact Watchdog to investigate? Could Volvo be considered as being fraudulent? - Tim W from Cheshire

I’m glad I’m not the only one dissatisfied with the economy on a V50. I, like you, looked for an economical estate and having had a V70 a few years ago went for the V50 this time with the 1.6D engine which has a published combined mpg of 65.2. Having had it six months, I have ranged between 39 and 43. I have complained to Volvo, the garage have said there is nothing wrong, I emailed customer services and they quoted all the Government stuff and went on about driving styles and road conditions affecting consumption. I even wrote to the MD of Volvo UK and he couldn’t be bothered to answer my letter personally, preferring to get the lady that I had received emails from to repeat everything from her emails in letter form. They are not one bit interested. I am now waiting on the lease company to hopefully agree to take the vehicle back so I can go and get a German car - Tierney Mark from Devon

I’m so glad I found this site and read the reviews on the V50! I think the V50 is really nicely styled and looks good on the road but the reliability seems shockingly bad, I must admit that I was disappointed when I sat in one in the showroom and there is not an awful lot of legroom for the driver, I think though that the poor mpg that people seem to suffer from is not only an issue with Volvo but with all diesel cars fitted with DPF (Diesel Particulate Filters) as these are a honeycombe like cylindrical filter fitted close to the exhaust manifold to catch soot particles which are then burnt off using a term called ’regeneration’. This increases exhaust gases in excess of 500 oC, unfortunately it increases fuel consumption hence the low mpg. I had my DPF filter removed from my last car ’Ford Focus 1.6 DHTI and guess what - mpg rose from 42mpg to 53mpg. I am now looking at purchasing a Toyota Avensis 2.0 D4D with a 5 year guarantee, loads of leg room and the most comfortable seats I have ever sat in - from England

Typically I find I can get between 50 and 53 mpg on long motorway trips without too much trouble. More urban leads to 45-50. Switching aircon off and driving the car without a lead boot is critical. The best figures I ever recorded was 66 mpg. Drove from Margate (Kent) to Clitheroe (Lancs) without stopping, using cruise control and never exceeding 70 Mph. I then returned to Deal (Kent) without stopping at 70 mph and was delighted at the results. I think that if you had the patience to drive at 56 mph even better results might be possible. It’s far too boring to contemplate - Dave Mitchell from Kent

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 51552

Holly Jackson, Devon

Volvo V50 1.6 e drive 2010

I am very pleased with my car and love the sporty features in and out. However the 1.6 has 100+ bhp and sometimes I feel it a little lacking in power. Would recommend to anyone.

Submitted: 2010-09-14 | ID: 51543

Harrison Blaxhill, England

Volvo V50 2.4 d5 2005

Love the car definitely a serious contender for the BMW 3 series or the Audi A4. The interior is great with stylish features and the outside of the car looks sporty. Well done Volvo. Have had no problems with it and am very happy.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-12 | ID: 51545

Timothy Giles, Middlesex

Volvo V50 2.0d 2007

Great car no faults. Love the modern interior centre console and the styling on the outside lights. Would reccomend to anybody if they want a practical, safe estate car.

Submitted: 2010-09-12 | ID: 51544

Ben Humphreys, England

Volvo V50 2.0 diesel se lux 2010

Great car very happy with the experience of owning it and loved the interior space and style. The ride is a bit firm with the run flat tyres but the seats make up for the sometimes firm ride. The safety features made this a great car for the family and we found the boot space okay and the little storage facilities were very useful.

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 51547

Nigel Jackson, England

Volvo V50 2.0 diesel se 2008

Great car. I admit its boot isn’t the biggest but compared with the price of an Audi or BMW it is good value. I have looked at the boot size compared to the Audi A4 and found that there is ony a 6cm difference in length and 4cm in depth. The interior is well equipped and I love the clean lines with the sporty brushed alluiminium trim. The interior style is modern with easily used buttons exactly were you would want them. I found the Volvo V50 price the best thing about this car and this makes it the best value car in its bracket.

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 51546

M Timberlake, Sussex

Volvo V50 2.0L Tdi 2004

Considering the short while I owned my V50 I remember it with pleasure. The performance, road holding and economy were very good - 50mpg without nursing. The seating comfort was the best in any car I have owned and the safety features were excellent. The Dolby Pro Logic sound system was superb and the bi xenon headlamps were fantastic. The emission was very clean although the engine wasn’t the quietest Tdi I’ve ever owned. The semi low profile tyres were a nuisance - giving an uncomfortable ride and road noise. The rear tail gate, when open, meant you had to bend low to load anything in the small load area and when letting the back seats down on one occasion they fell forward tearing my watch off and injuring my arm - like dropping two paving slabs. The external body panels were thin and were prey to any careless mum opening a door in Tesco car park. 6th gear was an overdrive, no good for overtaking unless there was plenty of space. But after a long drive you arrived feeling comfortable and that is a pretty good test of a car in my opinion.

Submitted: 2010-08-05 | ID: 51548

Rick McTaggart, Aberdeenshire

Volvo V50 Sport pack turbo diesel 2006

Great car. Tried Audi/BMW before buying but Audi’s ride too harsh and Beemer too pricey for what you get. Have had minor problems (as I’ve had with every single car I’ve owned) but nothing to beef about. You never get the fuel consumption figures that are published because these are achieved (by all manufacturers) on a rolling road with no wind resistance, hills etc. If you think you should, you are delusional. Good driver’s car and you can travel all day and step out with no sore bits. If you’re looking at Volvo don’t be put off by almost every motoring journalist who still thinks they’re ’tweed cap’ - they don’t ever acknowledge Volvo’s successes in saloon car racing and don’t realise that time moves on.

Submitted: 2010-06-02 | ID: 51526

Jonmichael Teare, Shropshire

Volvo V50 2009

A recent convert to the volvo brand I now know why people don’t switch back. if you have been put off by the tweedy old man image then maybe it is time for another look. The styling may not match some more modern rivals but it is far from dated. Once you’re inside, cocooned in Scandinavian safety the comfort and quality grab you. The ride is responsive and belies the fact that this is a small estate. I do long trips in all weathers mainly on motorways but also some rough tracks. The V50 copes with it all. Grunt is there when you need it with this 2.0 diesel model but also good economy over long distances. So it maybe tweedy but then tweed is back in fashion.

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 51530

M Sinclair, Ireland

Volvo V50 F1.8 2008

Nothing but trouble with this from the day I bought it, has broken down now 3 times. 1st time after only 5 days. Customer service was weak, garage since closed!!! Started stalling when stopped at lights, is now a gamble if it starts at all in the mornings.... Fuel economy sitting on 9.8l/100km about 23 mpg, and thats using petrol not bio. Car feels clunky in the gear change,; did i mention £220 for a replacement Pirelli tyre? This car is now a burden and the current climate means I cant sell it. Boo hoo Volvo

This is my third time writing and in response to your article I would like to say that I paid no more than £145 for 18" Pirelli rosso tires from Volvo main dealers. my main dealer put customer service first always - Peter Fearnley from Yorkshire

Your experiences are similar to those of my father who has been a Volvo driver since 1971. His 07 plate V50 has failed him twice - thank goodness the car comes with RAC membership. Both times it has failed him abroad with the nearest garage an hour’s drive away. The RAC have been brilliant but why is it happening with Volvo, hitherto enjoying a good reputation their electrical problems on the V50; my wife’s also suffered ahd had the ingition system replaced and a third car broken down. What has been happening to Volvo since 2006? Faith in the brand has been damaged to such an extent that after 20+ cars one after the other another manufacturer is being considered - Adrian Thompson from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2010-02-07 | ID: 51527

Reuben Smith, England

Volvo V50 D SE 2004

Great when it works - have spent £1300 on new Engine management and 6 months later it has now decided to start intermittently. Volvo dealership is pretty useless, think they just swap parts and read codes until you run out of money! Servicing is too expensive and electronics are very nice but appear a bit flakey. Looks pretty though - something to look at when you can’t drive the so**ing thing!

Submitted: 2010-01-25 | ID: 51542

Gary Brown, Dumfriesshire

Volvo V50 1.6 D 2007

The very best car I’ve owned. Very good looking, comfortable for the whole family, including two teenage boys and the dog. No problems at all. Bought for the safety features and reliability; has not let us down. A very solid car, we live in the country and it has been a positive boon, through the snow and ice, mud, and fallen trees, this car is fantastic.

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 51541

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Volvo V50 DRIVe Stop/Start 2009

If versatility is your goal in a modern motorcar where you need a bit of pep to blow away the blues - qualified with a dash of sense that tells you you’re doing both the planet and your wallet good when you’re driving - you couldn’t do better than to entrust yourself to the new V50 DRIVe. small estate which is based on the Ford Focus - but is so much better buil and starting at £18660 it’s not bad value. It’s the perfect town and country adaptable package combining svelte Swedish lines with commodious estate-like capacity. You’ll feel like a saint driving it, knowing that it’s mpg and low carbon footprint are considerable enough, almost to convince you that you’re doing the planet a favour in owning such a machine. Solid as a Swedish Sunday underneath, its appearance is the epitome of good modern taste. You won’t find Flash Harrys and Harriets fighting over each other to own one of these. Instead, owners are likely to be well-grounded and sensible folk who don’t mind looking good, but eschew vulgarity. Contact with the road is provided by energy saving tyres that have a firm grip on today’s ecological agenda. If owning one of these cars won’t exactly give you the time of your life, it will fit in nicely with the life you are expected to lead in these times. It ticks all the boxes, while managing, at the same time, to box clever - so expect no flash but plenty of dash: verve with the Volvo twist, in other words. The interior is cleverly appointed to combine maximum security for occupants - a prime Volvo aim, of course, - with ergonomically pleasing and functionally comfortable automobile upholstery. It’s an airy cabin that is confidence inspiring and constantly reassuring and you can choose from a number of different trim spec. levels. Everything has substance, and, of course, there’s a five star safety rating. Belt and braces security is born of stability control systems to save the terminally incompetent from themselves and should you finally crash, there are more barrage balloons on board than were used to protect London in the Blitz. One marvel of this car is the combination of aerodynamic and aesthetic efficiency with load carrying capacity that’s adequate - if not huge (enough for all but the antique dealer and his grandfather clock, I suggest.). The eco systems function by switching the smooth and torquey 1.6 litre, 108bhp diesel engine off every time you stop - and being a Volvo you can guarantee it’s going to start up again without any hassle every time. `But surely performance is compromised and sacrificed on the altar of mean spirited money saving, celery eating, greenness. A chap can’t have his cake and eat it.` I hear you say. Well in this instance I’m pleased to report that it’s not, and you can. Driving it is a joy, and if you need to make rapid progress, the car is lively enough - cruising quietly and smoothly at high motorway speeds and zipping about on A and B roads if you need to. Low rolling resistance tyres, low friction transmission oil in the gearbox, lowered ride height, slippery aerodynamics, magic jiggery pokery mapping of the engine management and the ’stop/start system (Which can be switched off) all contribute to the frugality. The only doubt that lurks in the corner of my mind is ’how long will the starter motor and ring gear last?’ - but then since it’s a Volvo they’re probably made of some yet undiscovered metal that is harder than diamonds and will last forever. At this juncture I must tell you about a fifty-five mile Sunday bimble along twisty A roads and quiet country lanes. (The sort of trip that Trusty Trevor and Theresa would make to visit a National Trust property.). Never exceeding 60mph., but certainly not holding up traffic, the economy proved to be inter stellar. A mind disorientating 82.3 mpg showed on the trip computer! (My bicycle doesn’t do that). Immediately I telephoned my MP and instructed him to rush through a Bill consigning all hybrids to the dustbin. Volvo deserves a New Years Honour for producing such a good, solid, sensible - and enjoyable car. Volvo marketing and design people, over the years, have cleverly carved out a niche in the market. Not only that - among motor manufacturers they are indeed ahead of the game, because more than most companies, Volvo have proved themselves the rule makers and mould breakers. There’s nothing quite like a Volvo. Now - let me STOP praising the car and START enjoying driving it. Eco driving has never felt so indulgent.

I used to run a much older Volvo estate. T’was a spacious and lovable wagon, which could have transported the contents of a small house within the commodious boot. Occasionally pressed into service as a rally "barge" it carried out its week end duties without a murmur through a wide variety of on and off road conditions and with approaching 180,000 on the clock,it finally went on in far more rugged hands than mine to be remembered for several years with affection by followers of MAT 1F. I would need to explore the potential of this latest version of a Scandinavian thoroughbred with a swift autobahn sortie to the Black Sea and back in seasonable spring time weather of course - Robert D Hall from Staffordshire

Syd, please,please tell me which road you did this bimble on as I would love to try it myself as apart from going down very long hills on the M62 I have yet to achieve any more than 55mpg in my drive. So much so that I am about to contact my MP and have a bill passed to BAN these disgracefully misleading mpg figures - from Lincolnshire

Well written and witty - well done Syd. I’m just about to take delivery of a 2010 in SE Lux guise, all the toys and the economy to boot. I can’t wait - from Scotland

Submitted: 2009-11-25 | ID: 51537

Len Johnrose, Lancashire

Volvo V50 2.0D 2005

Nice looking car but too small. Handbrake gets in the way when changing gear and head rests impair view from rear window. Elec mirrors and windows sometimes fail to work but biggest problem is the fuel consumption. I’ve had the car for two months and am getting no more than 240miles form a full tank.

I think you may have a problem with your car! I have a V50 2.0D and drive from Devon (Okehampton) to London (Surbiton) every week. I can do the round trip on a full tank (£45’ish). Thats on the A303 with cruise control at 80mph, (2200rpm). It may bw worth having it checked out - Henry Authers from Devon

I just brought a v50 20D 55 plate and have got a intermittent problem with the engine not pulling away. Have any owners had the same problem? If so what was it? And how was it cured? - Mac Macfarlane from Devon

Submitted: 2009-11-10 | ID: 51534

Ben Sayer, Oxfordshire

Volvo V50 1.6D S 2008

I chose this as a company car as I wanted more space and the styling of this estate is better than most in its price bracket. For a base model it is also well equipped, came with climate control, e/w windows all round etc. Chose the 1.6D as I thought it would be economical - I think Volov claim 56 mpg combined. I struggle to get above 45/46 mpg. I think the best I ever managed was 50 mpg when I first got it and ran it is an 60mph. I have pumped up the tyres to the ECO pressure of 36 psi and stick to 70-75 mph on the motorway which is 80 per cent of its mileage, but still the economy is rubbish and had I known, I would not have got it. Previously had a 1.9D Megane and on the same journey driving at higher speeds happily got 50 mpg. Only other problem was that the turbo needed replacing after about six months and I also find that the engine seems to hesitate quite frequently when on part throttle. If you are thinking about buying this for its claimed economy I would avoid it.

Submitted: 2009-10-30 | ID: 51533

Helen Lawson, Northumberland

Volvo V50 2.0D SE Lux 2008

Second V50. Previously owned 2005 2.0D SE. When I set out to look for the replacement I tested Audi and BMW, but when it came down to it the Volvo beat them on price, value for money, specification, and safety features. Bigger mirrors of the revised car, a big improvement and heated/memory seats a great luxury. Overall, the drive is unexplainably better. The clutch is a bit heavy and the gear box a bit agricultural compared to some rivals, but this is a vice I am prepared to live with. No reliability issues from either car, though inexplicably the newer one averages 42mpg after 20 months, whereas the last car got about 47mpg. I drive the 136bhp C class diesel today and it was snail like in comparison. Support previous comments about problems with heater, read the instruction book, the air con system slightly complex, but good if you use it probably. Mill Volvo Sunderland - service excellent.

Submitted: 2009-10-28 | ID: 51532

Peter Fearnley, Yorkshire

Volvo V50 2.0 d e.s sport r design 2008

This is my second review, I bought the car new in Jan 2008 and fell in love with it immediately. The car is definitely a head turner, the ride is firm, the drive responsive and can be fast when you need it. I test drove both Audi and Saab and I must say the Saab came close to the Volvo but lost out on looks. I’ve had no problems with the car and the servicing package was a bonus, as Volvo servicing can be expensive. The down side, if there is one, is that the boot space is a bit on the small side. I’ve done just over 15,000 miles and I reckon it won’t be long before I need 2 front tyers at a cost of £160 each (ouch).

Submitted: 2009-10-13 | ID: 51531

David Eaves, Warwickshire

Volvo V50 T5 2004

I absolutely love this car. I drive long distances and its smooth and comfortable and I get an average of about 34mpg; which isn’t too bad for a petrol. It’s also pretty quick, and you can surprise a few cars at the lights and roundabouts if you want. The overtaking is very good. It’s also proved to be very reliable, only trouble I had was a wheel bearing needed replacing after hitting a very big pot hole but that’s hardly Volvo’s fault. I was a bit sceptical of Volvo before I brought this car due to the image, but would definitely buy another one now, its such a quality car. Would like a go in a d5 as well now!!

Submitted: 2009-07-20 | ID: 51591

Richard Piper, England

Volvo V50 2008

To previous complainer , the throttle taking over engine revs is because you are in too high a gear and the anti stall device takes over. Gone are the days when the car would rattle and shake when you are in too high a gear as cars are so refined these days they compensate for almost everything. Most cars have this feature. As for your air/con try reading the hand book, all cars with air/con or climate control can have their heaters and air/con on together.

Submitted: 2009-07-06 | ID: 51590

Simon Clements, Bedfordshire

Volvo V50 2.0d r design 2008

Had it just over a year now, it is my first company car; didn’t know my boss had got me the r design until it turned up at the office. I was like a kid at Christmas! I drive around 35000 miles a year and it has been trouble free. I drive it quite hard and at 36000 it now needs its 2nd set of rear tyres and 3rd set of fronts. I get 42/44mpg when pushing on, the seats and headrests are fantastic when doing 400 miles a day. The only real niggle is the headlights/fuel filler release/fog light buttons have not survived the conversion to RHD; there is no dashboard light for the front fogs and the button is obscured by the steering wheel. I love the huge torque and have surprised faster cars a few times. I do find the DTSC gets in the way sometimes too. The space behind the floating dash is perfect for my man bag!!!! It looks good in black but is a bitch to keep clean. I would love to try a t5d... Overall I can’t complain... it’s free after all!

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 51592

Fedup, England

Volvo V50 2.0D 2006

Has an intermittent problem with not starting. Doesn’t matter what the weather, time of day, even after a journey. Local Volvo dealer cannot find the problem. I’ve even tried using a different make of diesel.

Hi there, I have (I guess) the same problem. Has anyone given you anything more sensible since writing your review? My V50 2006 2.0D has been in the garage for a total of 5 days (over 2 occasions). They have updated software and tinkered, but still have found no root cause (although I have to say their service is outstanding!!) I’m still getting in the car not quite sure if it will start, which is not a good feeling (especially doing 2.5K miles a month!) - Grant ’Equally Fedup’ from Dorset

Submitted: 2009-01-21 | ID: 51593

James Roberts, Lancashire

Volvo V50 2 litre diesel estate 2008

Has anyone else found the car goes along at 20+ mph without your foot on the gas even uphill, also picks up speed going round corners so much so that I have to brake in the corner which is dangerous. I have had it into my dealer twice but they can’t find the fault on diagnostics and to be honest they do not really want to know. Also, the car steams up badly I can’t keep it clear unless I select the screen button which only works on aircon, then you can’t have the heating on as well, which in this weather is freezing. I am finding the fuel consumption poor - only getting approximately 38mpg on combined usage when statistics claim I should be getting 50+. I am so disappointed with it I am seriously thinking of getting rid, bought it for safety features but it’s the worst car I’ve had.

But this is only because the service level is weak, it’s not even the fault of the brand, but it’s more around its very national management (obviously far away from Swedish and not only Swedish). It’s more about those "pseudo-technicians", totally unexperienced, not knowledgeable and absolutely not eager to learn (in many situations I went through, they even not have a capability to learn anything), I’m afraid - from Ireland

Submitted: 2008-12-30 | ID: 51595

Peter Fearnley, Yorkshire

Volvo V50 2.0d r design se sport 2008

One of the best mid range car I’ve ever drove - comes with loads of extras - also came with a good service package. The car looks the biz . Test drove the A4 - the car was not a patch on the Volvo. Just one down side - I would have liked badges on the back to let people behind know what the car is.

Maybe I should start writing multiple reviews to artificially inflate the average review stars for a car which is quite obviously garbage. I came on here to look at subjective views to gain an overview on Volvo reliability. Just because you don’t agree with everyone else’s opinion doesn’t give you the right to keep writing 5 star reviews now does it? You like YOUR car, we get it! - Harry Hill from England

Submitted: 2008-08-22 | ID: 51602

Jonathan Maitland-MacIntyre, Berwickshire

Volvo V50 D5 2.4 185bhp SE Sport R-Design 2008

Forget the T5 version and certainly don’t bother with the 2 litre engines or the even smaller ones, this is the one to have for sure! With the R-Design spec and the 18" wheels, as well, it’s transformed as ’a looker’ too. Brilliant mid-range acceleration, this will cruise all day and return mid 40s consumption at a steady (illegal) 85 on the motorway. Off the lights it’ll leave much more fancied German machines for dead and all from a wonderfully warble-y 5 cylinder engine. Sure it mightn’t handle through the bends quite as well as some of the Germans but it’ll leave them for dead on the straights and having had Audi Avants (A6s and A4s) in the past you won’t need to spend a fortune on osteopath bills to sort out your jarred bones either! I reckon these are the bargain of all bargains.......

Just about to buy one. I had the 2.0 se sport for three years. What do you get to the gallon on average when driving quite hard around town? Many thanks - Jerry O’Shea from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2008-08-15 | ID: 51600

Markus Fors, County Fermanagh

Volvo V50 V50 1.6D SE 5dr 2007

Cheers: Fuel efficient Comfortable Flexible The total economy makes it a good buy. Jeers: Overpriced Comments: The most environmental Volvo so far beside the C30 1,6D. It’s easy to get a brief overview, easy to reach and easy to use the buttons, they are accessable and approachable. There’s been a lot of talk about the cup holders and where to storage junk but hey isn’t it like that if you don’t have anywhere to storage it, it wont be left there. Overall , it’s exactly what I had expected where fuel consumption, station-wagon,environmental awareness and the overall total economy were my top issues. I went from a petrol driven VW Golf III 1,6 -03 to the brand new Volvo V50 1,6 Diesel and SAVED about a ? 50 a month (I drive long distances). This was one of my best car buys I’ve done. If I wasn’t in need of a station wagon (my dog) I’d go for the C30 1,6D Efficiency that comes out this spring and save even more money. But unfortually that car is too small for us. I will for sure test drive it though and see what I will miss.

Submitted: 2007-12-12 | ID: 51598

David Davidson, England

Volvo V50 1.6D 2006

I like the car very much to be this small engine and low consuming it is nice to drive. BUT several 3times noe the engine have suddenly lost power during driving. the engine dont rev over 2800rpm and max speed is around 60kph The volvo dealer have not been able to trace the error and complain that it is so hard to investigate due to that the error is gone when they recive the vehicle. Problem is temporarly gone when when cykle the ignition - and workshop are never open in the evenings or hollidays when it happens. please could anyone with similar problem send the VIN number so I can Investigate what the solutions have been for your cars d.andersson@hrmritline.se

Submitted: 2007-12-07 | ID: 51599

Paul Rose, Leicestershire

Volvo V50 1.6D SE 5dr 2007

Reliable, safe and pratical, as you’d expect from a Volvo. The V50 is a lot better looking than most Volvos and has some nice sporty details inside. Great to drive and handles perfectly. I’m extremely pleased with this car. I’m only giving it 4 out f 5 because there is a little more engine noise than I would like but I wouldn’t say it’s intrusive. Very good car.

Submitted: 2007-10-26 | ID: 51597

Volvo V50

D5 R-Design - The V50 is, unsurprisingly for a Volvo, an estate, but it’s not the huge slab of car you’d usually associate with the Swedish carmaker. It’s a smallish, but perfectly formed family car that trades some of its capaciousness for a more practical size, making it more suitable for urbanites. Its shapeli [...]

An image of the Volvo V50 D5 R-Design

Volvo V50

DRIVe - Buyers wanting to go green with a Volvo V50 have two choices of the Swedish firm’s DRIVe model: one with the eco-friendly 1.6-litre turbodiesel engine and the other with the same engine but equipped with stop-start technology. The Volvo V50 is based on the Ford Focus, which enjoys a solid reputation [...]

An image of the Volvo V50 DRIVe