Volkswagen Fox consumer car reviews and road tests

Volkswagen Fox

Volkswagen Fox consumer reviews by year of make:2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Volkswagen Fox consumer car reviews

Karol, Devon

Volkswagen Fox Urban 1.4 2008

I have owned this car since 2011. My previous car was a Golf mk5 1.6FSI. What I like: large interior (for a city car), easy to park, excellent visibility, comfy seats, good for long journeys, big boot, good engine - 1.4 75BHP, iPOD/aux connection. What I don’t like: plastics/console, only four speakers. I would recommend this car for students, young couples or elderly people. In two years and four thousand miles I’ve had no problems.

Submitted: 2013-04-24 | ID: 50701

Aline, Brazil

Volkswagen Fox 1.0 2006

Great reliable car, never broken or let me down. Only replaced a gas pump for 30 euro. Cheap parts, good ride and good power for a 1.0. Spacy but easy to park; a ride to park anywhere cause of its egg shape on the front. The only thing that can be used against it is all the plastic inside. Few gadgets, but I didn’t need them anyway. I prefer reliable and economical and good driving.

Submitted: 2012-10-09 | ID: 50697

S Elliot, Derbyshire

Volkswagen Fox 2010

A creaking noise when driving on uneven roads and it’s only done 10 thousand miles and is still like new.

Hi. I have a Fox from 2007 and I have started just now having the same problem as you and it`s driving me nuts, very frustating because I haven t a clue from where it`s coming - from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-07-10 | ID: 50698

Jonny C, Northumberland

Volkswagen Fox Urban 1.2 2006

Fab car, upgraded to a company car but still miss my little fox. Nippy around town and capable of driving on motorways, I loved it.

Submitted: 2012-07-03 | ID: 50700

Steve Cardell, Cheshire

Volkswagen Fox Urban Fox 1.2 2007

A surprising little car, the Fox. We were looking for something economical to run and looked at the usual Peugeot 107, Ford Ka and Fiat Panda, but happened across a Fox by accident at a dealer. It is quite a plain looking car, but the styling is neat and it manages to avoid looking cheap when compared to the alternatives. The sheer space inside is amazing considering how small the car is, and Urban spec gets a sliding rear seat which means you can flex the space between the boot and rear seats. It also has electric windows and central locking - all that is really missing is aircon. The Fox is actully very pleasent to drive, and feels much more grown up that the other small cars we tried. The ride is also really comfortable and not jittery like a 107. The 1.2 engine sounds quite characterful, and pulls well around town. It is also bearable on the motorway, but perhaps a little short of puff. The only real downside is the cheap plastics in the interior - not really worse than the competition, but not as good as they should be. The real bonus, however is the running costs, which are rock bottom, and the decent residuals once you trade in. A thoroughly decent little car. Don’t overlook it.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-13 | ID: 50696

Laurence Berry, England

Volkswagen Fox 1.4i 2009

Travelling home from a meeting on Friday 7/5/2010, I was travelling eastbound on the M4 from Bath, when going past junction 13 I noticed in the rear view mirror outside of the car a large plume of white smoke completely covering the rear window. I immediately pulled over to the make an emergency stop on the hard shoulder. I noticed the oil warning light on the dashboard and then smoke appeared from the engine. A passing motorist on the westbound side of the M25 raised the alarm on the extent of the fire, so I immediately tried to escape from the car (jarring my back at the time). I have had a back problem over the last few months which the pain has been easing, and now since trying to get out of the vehicle as fast as humanly possible, I have jarred my back yet again!!!! The motorist was 100% correct in raising the alarm as fluid was leaking profusely from the engine compartment and the flames were getting stronger. I called the fire brigade and they were on the scene within ten minutes. By the time the fire brigade went to work the flames had engulfed the entire front of the car, melting everything including the tyres. Now obviously I did not have time to remove any personal stuff, therefore after the fire brigade doused the flames my belonging in the car were soaked. At the time of the incident I called VW assistance for help. Initially they said there was nothing they could do as my car was on fire and a potential write-off. To my horror they advised me to get the car salvaged and arrange a taxi. I reminded them that my car was only five months old and recently serviced by an authorised VW dealer. I may have been in shock so I hung up and rang back. Again I was advised that the recovery team would not come out to assist me. I had to have a lengthy conversation with someone before the option that VW recovery would arrange a taxi to take me home. Trying to get hold of VW over the weekend was futile. Today they were most ungelpful and even suggested that I may have been smoking! Have there been other cases of a five month old car simply self combusting?

My six month old Bluemotion set itself on fire on the way home in December 2010. I’m still persuing it, there’s been a VW product recall for lots of 2010 models in the US but nothing here... - Danny Pearson from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2010-05-10 | ID: 50693

Gerry Snowdon, Cornwall

Volkswagen Fox 1.4 2007

Only had it two weeks but what a small car, plenty of room, good build, good ride, still can’t cloes the door frist time yet as its so well built. Not many extras but well worth the money.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-16 | ID: 50695

Samantha Lowrey, Kent

Volkswagen Fox 2009

The car itself is lovely, however, I put an order in at my local VW centre back in July and am going to be waiting until at least January for this car. I am getting no compensation, my tax runs out end of October, MOT in January, and when I first bought the car I was told it would be ready by September... it is just not good enough.

Submitted: 2009-10-22 | ID: 50692

Mark White, Nottinghamshire

Volkswagen Fox 1.2. 2008

This is just the very basic 1.2 Fox with no extras - so, it’s manual windows, lock your own doors etc. It does have airbags, PAS and a half decent CD player and the good news is inexpensive doesn’t mean cheap! OK, so the quality of the plastics is not in Passat league, but it’s solid and well screwed together. It drives really well and the 1.2 is fine about town and even holds it’s own on the motorway. It’s really roomy (even more in the back than it’s bigger cousin, the Polo?). It handling is neat and tidy, and as economical, comfortable transport (albeit basic) it’s absolutely ideal. I know other cars in it’s class have more toys, but I’d rather do without the extras for VW quality (and residuals).

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 50702

Lynda Warren, England

Volkswagen Fox 2008

I’ll give it 5, I’m used to Corsa’s and thought I’d never change - after test driving a Fox I was hooked, disappointed that they don’t do a diesel yet though. 1.2 is nippy enough and holds the road better then a Corsa. I was peeved that glove box was a bit small but found a great storage container under drivers seat after a month. Really economical and like a Tardis inside - sooo rooomy.

Submitted: 2008-10-13 | ID: 50704

Patricia Feist, Cheshire

Volkswagen Fox 1.4 2007

I chose the 1.4 litre engine over the 1.2 so that I could have a little more oomph . It gives me plenty of power and is perfect for longer journeys. I can not give the Fox 5 stars as the build is not up to the same quality as the Golf, a car I have recently owned. This is a good and cheap alternative to the Volkswagen Golf.

Submitted: 2007-10-30 | ID: 50703

• A response has been made to S Elliot (10/07/2012 21:16:40)
  • A response has been made to Laurence Berry (10/05/2010 21:31:14)

• "what causes my engine to jerk while driving?i have cleaned the fuel system by the problem is still there.my car is a volkswagen 2006 model,1.4i veloc..." (bamaketse mochedisi, 07/10/2014 20:15:10)
  • "I am unable to unlock the hatch using the key. I have checked the key is not damaged or deformed and althought it is not part of the central locking,..." (Paul, 11/09/2014 21:23:43)
  • "I have a really old VW Fox. It is a great car. The only problem with it is the exhaust. The rubber rings holding it on keep splitting in half,which t..." (Jane Hardie, 09/09/2014 18:57:45)
  • "I have a Volkswagen fox 1990 4 door . My question is the alternator on the car looks like it should have a cover on the one side. I phoned the garage..." (denise, 25/08/2014 09:23:52)
  • "When I run my engine I have a grinding sound but when I remove the V/belt then it`s quiet. I changed the alternator but the sound was still there. Wh..." (cadey, 19/08/2014 13:18:26)

• Craig Brennan's question has been answered: "Looks like a common issue with these is the pipe splitting where it goes from the body to the tailgate inside the rubber boot that stops water ingress - A McClure from West Midlands' '..." (15/11/2014 00:12:32)
  • Donald Saunders's question has been answered: "If the knocking when you turn left or write it's your outer front CV joints but if the knocking is over bumps and turning I also may be the front su - Dave c from Greater Manchester' '..." (29/10/2014 20:31:56)

Volkswagen Fox

The Fox is Volkswagen’s entry-level urban runabout, designed to nip around towns and cities. It’s a cheap and cheerful car, competitively priced (thanks, in part, to being built in Brazil) and basic. That doesn’t necessarily make it undesirable, though. One of the strongest features of the Fox is it [...]

An image of the Volkswagen Fox