Vauxhall Banner

Vauxhall Vectra consumer car reviews and road tests

Vauxhall Vectra

Vauxhall Vectra consumer reviews by year of make:1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Vauxhall Vectra consumer car reviews

SteveB, Berkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2005 - 2008

Had the same dash problem, no temp gauge, no speedo, no rev counter, no fuel gauge, no indicator arrows with my 8 year old Vectra 57 plate bought from new and serviced by Vauxhall every year. Reset mileage back to 0:0 and all the dials now back on working. Why don't Vauxhall address this issue with a notice? Steve B-Berkshire

Submitted: 2014-06-27 | ID: 98545

andrea, County Londonderry

Vauxhall Vectra 1999 - 2002

Best car I`ve ever owned, could plough it through everything, wee service kept it ticking over. I drove a 2012 C-Max and still missed it. Vauxhall are the best cars about

Submitted: 2014-06-08 | ID: 97234

stew, Gwent

Vauxhall Vectra 2005 - 2008

Had this car for 14 months and to say its the most expensive Vectra out there is understatement!!! bought it with 51000 miles on, now its 70500. since buying this car it does 95% motorway miles at 55mph. These are the problems ive had: 1. New exhaust part £150 2. Air conditioning radiator £350 3. EGR vale £150 only then to have it blanked off £20 4. Inlet manifold £400 (optional cam belt kit fitted aswell £135) 5. Injectors taken off and cleaned £125 6. strut bearings £275 7. new alternator £400 8. today new dual mass flywheel and clutch £900 9. potentially needing wheel bearings as well £ god knows. Although when I bought this car it was everything we needed, large volume boot, loads of leg room,cheap insurance and tax and a really comfy drive, I cant help but feel this is the worst car I have ever owned.

Submitted: 2014-05-07 | ID: 95206

Ray Preston, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2sri 2002

Our Vauxhall Vectra 2.2sri is simply superb! Giving so much power in a four door family hatchback, which also returns 40 mpg on a run (outstanding). Will be buying a newer model when finances dictate.

Submitted: 2013-09-23 | ID: 49822

Ray Preston, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2sri 2002

Submitted: 2013-09-23 | ID: 49821

Richard Alan Bell, Devon

Vauxhall Vectra diesel 2007

2007 1.9 tdti 120. Have only covered 28,000 since buying as a used car up to now very good on fuel, comfort excellent, great on the motorway, handles well, test drove an Insigna, not impressed, very poor vision mainly at the rear and blind spots sticking to my Vectra.

Submitted: 2013-09-16 | ID: 49823

Dave, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra GLS 1998

I had this car for 10 years, it was like a tank, did 100k in it. Sadly scrapped it and got a Nissan Primera, which I now hate and wish I still had the Vecky. Best car ever, miss it.

Submitted: 2013-09-11 | ID: 49824

Stephen Kent, England

Vauxhall Vectra LS 1.8 16V 2008

Bought the car from a forecourt for £1000, so I expected to pay money soon after purchase, and I wasn’t wrong. I’ve replaced the pads and discs all round, replaced one rear brake caliper, replaced inner joints on steering rack, and replaced all 4 tyres, had cambelt done by main dealer, and major service by main dealer, so the car now has cost me about £2000, BUT, it was worth every penny, it has done 82000 miles, the paintwork is close to mint and it drives like new. I wouldn’t swap it for the world, it has all mod cons, [air con, cruise con, elec windows, remote locking, anti jack locks]. I love it, the only problem I have to sort is the boot rattles a bit on rough roads, so if anyone knows if the adjustment is something that I could do myself please let me know.... Otherwise, its a SUPER CAR - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Mine rattles aswell. I just pull the rubbers out a bit. It’s the parcel-shelf, my mate’s does it aswell. - Ben B from Torfaen

Submitted: 2013-07-23 | ID: 49817

Bill Turnbull, Australia

Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 vxr hatch 2008

Mine is a 3.2 vxr hatch. No problems. A great all round motor vehicle.

Submitted: 2013-04-07 | ID: 49820

Edward, Lothians

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 dualfuel (LPG) 2003

Bought from new; now 110k miles. LPG is good and still only £0.71/litre. Generally the car is strong, reliable and comfortable, so reasonable value for money, but there have been a number of issues. At 100 miles the steering wheel trim disintegrated, but was fixed under warranty. Immediately after it’s 3 year service the cylinder head failed, but again this was fixed under warranty. At 40k miles the starter failed to engage, so I took it off and lubricated and it has been ok ever since. The windscreen wiper drive mechanism failed, which was fixed under warranty. There was inadequate paint preparation during factory conversion to LPG allowing rust to appear on the rear wing, which was fixed under warranty. The petrol pump failed due to contamination in fuel (as its an LPG car petrol is rarely filled so no idea of when/why/where this occurred?); it needed both the pump and tank replacing, which was not cheap. Various brake pipes replaced as deemed corroded. Front and rear springs replaced as deemed broken. Disks lasted to 100k before needing replacements, but the clutch is still original. Only on the second battery. The paintwork is good despite my daughter putting the car through a barbed wire fence.

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 49819

David Allan, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 tdi Elite 2002

My vectra 2.0 tdi Elite has no power steering and all lights are on, the clocks and rev counter are bouncing up and down and it will now not start!

Submitted: 2013-01-13 | ID: 49816

Rab McKee, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra sri 2.0t 2006

Fab car! Reliable and comfy with great performance and good mpg.

Submitted: 2012-09-22 | ID: 49815

Heaton Stanley, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

The front spring broke and dropped down onto the tyre ripping it to pieces. I was only travelling about 30mpg.

All four springs have broken at in the last 2 years, it’s to do with the way they are manufactured and both front tyres have been ripped to shreds total replacement cost £540 - Gerry Bennett from Sussex

Submitted: 2012-06-30 | ID: 49813

Paul Plested, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0DTI SXI 2006

I’ve had this car for 6 years and excluding servicing I’ve spent a grand total of £150 on parts. This has been the best car I have ever bought; the most reliable and the most fuel efficient. I am very reluctant to trade in, as it’s only got 116000 miles on the clock and is still going strong.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 49812

Martyn Hartnell, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 irmscher gsi 2005

An exellent car. I always buy vauxhall and the v6 are easy to work on, as are the timing belts. A smooth ride with plenty of power when needed.

Submitted: 2012-03-23 | ID: 49808

Mark Coupe, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra Sri 1.8 2007

Just swapped a BMW 116i sport for a Vectra Sri 1.8 vvti and must say, it’s a hell of a better ride than the BM and you get a lot more extras in it too, well pleased with it so far.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-30 | ID: 49807

Mr C, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra Sri 1.8 2007

Very impressed with the car. It drives very smooth a bit different from my old BMW 116i sport that I swapped for it.

Submitted: 2012-01-30 | ID: 49806

Mark Coupe, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 Petrol Sri 2007

Just swapped from a BMW 116i sport and find it’s a totally different drive. The Vectra is so smooth and as quiet as the BMW which is very hard with no room. Very pleased with it so far.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-26 | ID: 49805

Andy, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0t sri petrol 2004

I own an ’04 2.0t sri and have had the car for just over a year now with no trouble whatsoever. I average 30 mpg on combined, but I have had 40+ mpg on motorway runs a few times this year. The only thing that was a slight niggle was the gearbox that felt notchy when cold so I changed the gearbox oil and refilled it to 2.4 litres, as recommended by a specialist and the problem was fixed. It is a spacious, comfortable, fast and reliable car and I still enjoy driving it daily. Apparently the z20net engine, which is a Saab block, is the most reliable in the range, all the problems reported on here seem to stem from the GM ecotec engine range. I owned an Astra previously with the ecotech engine and I did have numerous problems with the throttle, body, etc.

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 49804

Kathleen Crocket, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS 2002

Very good on fuel, driving at 60mph it achieves 47 to the gallon. Mine is a 1.8 LS.

Submitted: 2011-11-22 | ID: 49803

Brian Povey, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI 2006

Generally I’m very pleased with mine. I bought it in Oct 2006. It achieves 40 to 43mpg around town and 50 to 55mpg on a run, depending on speeds etc. Whilst under warranty the gear knob came off and required a new stick and coupling to the gear box. Strange? Then in July this year the knob came off again. I was quoted £278 to replace it, which I had to pay. Because I was going to France the next day I had glued the knob on but forgot to look for the spring that goes under the knob. This was not really safe so resulted in this big pay out for a knob. I wrote to Vauxhall twice and they didn’t want to know or justify the need for a whole assembly. I don’t want to let it go and I doubt I will get anywhere. This is why folks buy Japanese etc. Comments welcome.

Submitted: 2011-11-18 | ID: 49811

Nick, Devon

Vauxhall Vectra 3.2 V6 GSI 2004

I’ve had the car 5 years now. I get 27.5 miles to the gallon combined although some people get far less (sub 20), it depends on how you drive. It’s very smooth and powerful, with plenty of airbags, GSI has lower suspension, ESP plus stability control, comfortable half leather seats, automatic windscreen wipers  and auto dipping rear view mirror. The only thing I would say is that the first gear is a little hard to get right without slipping the clutch and is a little jumpy, but this is meant to be the top of the range sports version so it doesnt really bother me.

Submitted: 2011-10-19 | ID: 49810

Shakeel Sibtain, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

It’s a beautiful car and drive smoothly. I never had any problem and it has been a good runner for years.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 49809

Stephen Scott, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 t diesel 2003

Big and tidy, great economy and I do use the cruise control. Very good all round car and cheap to keep on the road.

2.2 sri Dearest piece of sh*t I have ever owned. Egr valve, steering rack, brake pipes front and rear, drinks oil like no tomorrow. Will go back to Ford me thinks - Nick Barnes from Suffolk

Submitted: 2011-06-21 | ID: 49784

Alex Dalgleish, Cumberland

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI Exclusiv 150 2007

While there’s only ever me in it and I live in a Cul-de-Sac with no driveways, wouldn’t change it for anything. Have wanted one for over 4 yrs (13th car in 12 years of driving). All my driving motorway and dual carriageway despite my low annual mileage. Maintenance peanuts, unlike all other cars ever owned the faster you go, the noise level doesn’t change. Quick, relaxing. Cruise control wouldn’t be without, heated mirrors big safety feature in bad weather. My previous Diesel supermini saved me around £10wk but Vectra not affected by high winds like that was. Economy not overly bothered about. Worst 34.5 mpg, best mid 40’s judging by last tankful that’s about to run out. Do drive quite hard though (should avoid DPF and EGR valve faults this way) but wouldn’t surprise me if car had these replaced in first 3.5 years of it’s life. Only car I’d replace with same again. Still makes me smile 9 months on. Recommended.

Do you know about the dmf fault? - from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 49782

Alan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

I think that Vauxhall know about the juddering when reversing, but are denying it because of the cost of the rectification. If enough people contact them they must respond to our concerns.

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 49781

Mahmood Z, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra Sri150 2006

I bought this at 39k miles and it has now done 63k. The flywheel has been the main problem I have had with the car and also a few minor problems like springs and the wheel bearings which have been replaced twice. Generally, it is quite a good car with decent handling and great power. It will leave most cars in its class standing but it lets in a lot of road noise. Overall, I dont think I would buy another Vauxhall after this one.

I have had a Vectra for two weeks now, can’t say I’m impressed, not sure what they were thinking when designing steering and suspension (although that could just be the appalling roads), it doesn’t feel all that substantial for a big car and a bit weedy. It’s very brittle inside and cheap feeling. TBF engine pulls nice, even for a 1.8, just hoping the clutch doesn’t decide to fail prematurely like so many Vectra parts seem to, looks are okay (6/10) other than that there’s not much to say. Not that I will ever experience it but after-sales/dealerships appear to give an appalling service. I’m sure this car was designed solely to rape and pillage lots of unsuspecting customers. It was built to fail regularly. If you want a car that’s built from sub-standard parts, costs an arm and leg replacing those parts, looks okay with okay performance then buy a Vectra or any other non-descript motor (4/10). Go buy an Alfa, that’s the cars a lot of vectra owners thought they were gonna get. They appear to have ended up with all the unreliability problems that Alfas are well renowned for, all wrapped up in some sort of inbred Vauxhall Chevette - a car that I loved. My Alfa 156 2.0ts Selespeed was easily the most reliable of all cars I’ve owned, easily the most fun/comfortable/stylish to drive. Not many cars that could make you smile at least once a day. No dearer than most cars for parts or garage visits, comparable with Vectras on fuel (if driven sensibly), mine used 1 litre of oil in 2 years. Worst case scenario is you end up getting the same amount of work done that your Vectras have had (but probably cheaper). It’s a poor man’s Ferrari, you gotta try one. Due to Alfa’s ’bad press’ they can be bought for no money at all. Vectra owners must be so disappointed after about a week’s driving - Phil Wikka from Suffolk

Submitted: 2011-03-25 | ID: 49779

Joe, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 Tdi 150PS 2007

Had the car approaching 4 years from new as a company car. Dull but worthy car with good road manners and economy on the motorway but handles like an elephant in a shopping trolley on the twisty bits. Reliability not bad but some very weak points including 3 wiper motors, failed DMF flywheel, AC matrix positioned for maximum stone damage, indifferent Vauxhall service depts and numerous electrical gremlins only surpassed by an 80’s Alfa 33. It’s a car but thats about it...watch for escalating service costs over 100k.

Submitted: 2011-03-04 | ID: 49788

Alan, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Overall a good car but it is juddering when reversing and having only done 37’000 miles the coil pack has failed which is going to be costly even though it’s a 5 minuite job, it’s the parts that cost.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 49787

Graeme McTighe, Australia

Vauxhall Vectra CD 2007

This car is a 2.2l manual hatch somewhere in the mid range for the British public, and while it drives well and uses little fuel, it loves to sip oil. Even from new, surprisingly I have had to put a litre of oil in the engine at 10,000 kms twice in 30,000kms of driving. It has ended up using close to 5 litres of oil every service interval in country driving, and in the city 2.7 litres of oil - only 100,000kms on the clock. Holden who buys these cars, would not rectify the problems. It’s a real problem if you travel the vast distances in Australia and cannot find the right grade of oil at a service station in a small town. This is a real pity because the car isn’t as bad as some UK reviewers have it out to be. I have bought 6 cars in my life - all Opel inspired cars - never again thanks to the excessive oil consumption. One thing - Astras and Vectras have plastic driving lights that yellow and craze terribly - better materials please - if Holden decides to import Insignias and the new Astra.

Submitted: 2011-02-12 | ID: 49790

Chris Meehan, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 dti Elegance 2003

Been a great car only had to have egr valve cleaned in the 2 years of owning it. Also great mpg.

Submitted: 2011-02-08 | ID: 49789

Hugh Carpenter, Herefordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 150 exclusive 2008

I bought this car 2 years ago and being a Vauxhall fan love the car apart from having 2 new fly wheels put in and now it needs a clutch and has only done 28000 miles. It has a 6 speed box in it and am wondering if this is the cause of the problem.The last fly wheel was put in in October 2010 and also had a starter moter fitted as well. Ok it’s still under warranty at the moment but what happens when it runs out? Never had a problem like this on my other ones; 2x sri and a gls.

Submitted: 2010-12-31 | ID: 49786

David Butler, Hertfordshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTi 2007

Great economy and performance on tap but woeful reliability. Been off the road three times this year; inlet manifold swirl flaps and egr valve (warranty), water pump and cam belt (Vauxhall goodwill contribution)and now alternator and battery (hoping Vauxhall will help). AC is also duff. Only done 52k miles so very disappointed and consider never buying another Vauxhall (wife’s Astra also had lots of unexpected failures - coil pack, ECU etc). Vauxhall dealers are inefficient and patronising and Vauxhall just do not get it.

Submitted: 2010-11-27 | ID: 49801

Paul Storr, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra Sri Auto/150 2009

I use a Vectra Sri 150 Auto and cover circa 3500miles a month. I have got only good comments, well balanced, stunning acceleration, cruises at 2000rpm in cruise at 80+mph.(78 miles on £10), it’s always in the right gear. The brakes never fade, give it plenty of road on twisty sections and you have all the mechanical grip needed. In the wet a bit of self generated torque steer can be induced if using to much lock, feather the throttle and it’s glued to the tarmac. The only car I have encountered that’s quicker from a standing start is a 535 sport BMW. A true first by Vauxhall. Interestingly it’s my 4th example, I always get used one’s, when you first get in at about 22/25k miles they seem a bit tardy, once they have a good trial and the oil changed more than recomended they seem to fly!! I also tow with it, curiosly the economy improves while doing so. I am now looking for the next one, this has done 41k Thanks G.M. for a great company hack.

Submitted: 2010-11-14 | ID: 49800

Darren Brown, Leicestershire

Vauxhall Vectra SRi 2010

Hi! I’ve just bought my first Vectra SRi 2.0 140bhp. I find it to be a fast car and a solid family sporty car. I’m not sure what the 0 to 60 is but it flies at 70mph with out a fault.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-10-17 | ID: 49802

Gerry Jones, Scotland

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 VVT Exclusiv 2009

I’ve had mine for just about one year and not had any of the problems mentioned by other contributors. Nor have I experience the supposed handbrake problem. So I’m a happy bunny! Only problem I had was a broken front spring - but that’s down to the (allegedly A Class) roads here being allowed to degenerate to farm track status.

Submitted: 2010-08-30 | ID: 49791

Mike Woodhouse, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2006

Bought mine Oct 07 with 3400miles on clock. Now almost 3 years later and 59000 completed. Apart from a minor problem with CD player when bought has run perfectly. Not really town car but great for anything else. Average 53-55 mpg, great performance from 150bhp engine - confident overtaker. More toys than you can throw a stick at! Tyres last about 22/23k miles; Yes, indicators need careful use fully electronic - RTFM for those who complain. Been to the Alps skiing 3 times and I love cruise control - which you can vary on thestalk, auto light, wipers, dimming mirror, central locking etc.... Underrated.

Hi Mike! I have a 2006 vectra life 1800 and I can only get 33 to the gallon, mine is a petrol model, it has been on a machine to see if there are any faults and it showed that there aren’t any. Local runs I can only get 25 to 27 to the gallon. Vauxhall say that it’s about right, wish mine was like yours on fuel. Is yours by the way a diesel? Cheers - Roy Nicklin from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-08-06 | ID: 49798

Peter Fisher, Fife and Kinross Shires

Vauxhall Vectra 150 nav xp 19 inch 2007

I just bought one last week, love it to drive, very quiet and what a wee kick from when I put the pedal down. I have everything on this car, parking sensors front and back, cruise nav,, dab radio 19 inch alloys. 50k on the clock with a full service history on a 07 plate minted all for 7k, great.

I too have one, it’s brillant to drive and has all the toys - Sharon Glecross from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2010-07-20 | ID: 49793

John Tranter, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

It’s a great car, I’ve had mine from new and had no problems at all. They must be good cars because the police force have them.

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 49792

John, Wigtownshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 vvti 2007

I’ve just got rid of my Veccy after one year due to clutch judder. I contacted Vauxhall and they had never heard of this problem... what? Also, the indicators cancel at will and the gears are very notchy. It is a good car for long distance driving but an effort to drive about town. It also has a good stereo. I have now gone back to the Mazda 6, what a difference! The Vectra felt like a car I might have driven ten years ago.

I have had the same clutch problem, the Vauxhall dealer did not know the reason and replaced clutch assemble £1,068. The pressure plate showed signs of over heating - from Kent

Good timing. Mine had clutch judder three days ago so booked it in the garage ASAP, but before I could get it there, the gearbox smashed itself up (and lots of other bits too). In the garage at the minute, just quoted me £1,150 to fix it and I can’t get it back for about 10 days. This was on an ’07 plate with less than 40k on the clock - from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-07-12 | ID: 49795

Christine Irving, England

Vauxhall Vectra cd sri 2008

I have a vectra 1.9 cd sri and have had a catalgue of problems. The car is 27 months old and as I am a rep have already done 75k. the car is on hire through my company so all of the servicing etc is done by their own mechnics. Recently i took it in for its service and asked them investigate a noise coming from the engine whilst standing.It turned out that the clutch needed replacing. Whilst doing this jib they found that the gear box also needed re-newing. After two weeks I have the car back but now have more problems than before. I am sure the gear box hasnt been fitted properly as it is almost impossible to find 1st gear. Not all of the time but the majority. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? The rest of the gears seem to be fine it’s just first, which can be a problem when attempting to pull away. Other problems with this car to date are the indicators keep knocking themselves off before I have made my move, this apparently is normal. The cruise control only works when it wants to, and the air cond too so that needs looking at also. I’m sure this car was the last one on the production line on a friday..lol

Submitted: 2010-06-20 | ID: 49777

Sheeraz Singh, Middlesex

Vauxhall Vectra Club 2009

Neat looking vehicle. Had problems with fuel injection sensor and now linkage arm on wiper. Vauxhall are, however looking into the problem so I will revise review depending on how helpful they are!

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 49778

Danny Marbella, Spain

Vauxhall Vectra irmsher 2005

Had the car for 5 years, only replaced the brakes and steering rack, done 156,000 miles. Regular servicing is needed in the diesel well oil & filter. I would recommend as a great 2nd car at this age, fantastic.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 49776

Gerry Glover, Neath Port Talbot

Vauxhall Vectra CTDI 1.9 2007

I bought my Vectra 2 weeks ago at auction. Its the CTDI 1.9. Yesterday the alternator went. The car has done 30,000 miles. I like the comfort; the sound system; the power of this 150 HP model, but now I read that this alternator is a common fault and I am worried when it will strike again.

It concerns me why your alternator has gone at just 30,000 miles!! Hopefully, unlike mine, your car is genuine mileage. So many clocked Vectra’s for sale at auction/private these days. Mileages easily disguised as Vectra’s go on and on. Usually for peace and mind you can access a MOT history website that displays all previous mot"s, work carried out, failure notices and mileages but beware car can be easily clocked just before its 1st mot is due and owners will never know the difference - Dave Kerby from Hampshire

I had the same problem with mine at 45,000 miles, got it done for free under warranty - Michael Smith from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-05-06 | ID: 49773

Dave Kerby, Hampshire

Vauxhall Vectra sxi cdti 2004

Great car to drive, in particular on the motorway, expect around 55 mpg at 60mph and 40 around town. I have had the usual problems though, rear suspension arms and egr valve (MOT cost £500) BUT found out my car was clocked 130k instead of 80k on clock so not too bad considering high mileage. Car can be transformed by Tuning box £250, fully recommended for extra power and increase in mpg. All in all ideal cruiser with 6speed and cruise control, I would definitely buy another, maybe the newer shape next time.

Recently purchased a 2004 1.9 cdti sxi with 84000 miles, when I give it a bit of power the engine management light comes on then the engines cuts out. Great comfy car and nice looking car, - just about had enough – Stewart Hughes from Argyllshire

Submitted: 2010-05-05 | ID: 49771

Marc, County Antrim

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 sri cdti 150 bhp with xp 19" alloys 2008

Stunning peformance and great return of an average of 49 mpg since purchased 2 years ago. I have the sri xp version which comes with 19" alloys as standard. These are my real gripe about the car. Look absolutely stunning but its like driving on thin strips of rubber. If you get a flat, do not think of getting it repaired as it’s a new tyre you need. Profile so low you wouldnt even know you had a puncture. Tyres can be pricey too which dosnt help. I have recently bought a 2.0 Peugeot 407 136 bhp and although the ride is smooth, the vectra would absolutely eat it up for dinner with regards to the accelaration and torque pull. The only problem you get with the Vectra when you put the foot down is bad torque steer which means you could end up all over the road - especially in wet conditions. All in all a fun and powerfull machine.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-03 | ID: 49770

Joe McCulloch, Ireland

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti diesel 2010

Comfortable car and nice to drive, but the interior is cheap and nasty and low grade plastics. I don’t think the interior will stand the test of time. I’ve just sold my new model Volkswagan Passat 06 model, I prefer the Opal Vectra for driving and comfort and a smoother engine and gear box, but Volkswagen for interior finish. The Vectra is better for mpg and is quicker.

Submitted: 2010-04-29 | ID: 49768

Linz, England

Vauxhall Vectra SRi 2008

Fantastic car, have had from new. Only probs I have had has been with the windscreen wipers on a freezing day, they go berserk! But apart from that, love the car :) - Linz from England<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-26 | ID: 49769

John R, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI SRI Auto 2008

I bought this two year old Vectra with 27K on the clock and have been really impressed with it. The seats are excellent, it handles well, the auto gearbox is smooth and good to use once you become used to it. It can’t match the economy of a manual car but isn’t crippling like some petrol auto’s. It’s a bit of a Jekyll & Hyde car - very docile when you are commuting but if you really put your foot down it takes off. The interior isn’t as bad as people say. The dashboard is a bit plain but it all fits around you well and all of the controlos are easy to use. The steering wheel feels really nice in your hands and the two-stage indicators are a good idea if you ask me. I’m in a job where I recently used to drive different hire cars every week and this Vectra is as good as or better than any I’ve driven and that includes VW’s, Honda’s, Toyota’s, Ford’s.

Submitted: 2010-04-16 | ID: 49767

Doug Sinnott, Cheshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti Elite Auto 2006

I recently part-exed my 2005 Renault Megane 1.5 dci Estate Auto,for a 2006 Vectra Elite 1.9cdti 150 Satnav Auto,in Lightning Silver costing £69500. It had a full service history being an ex-lease car and had covered 60,000 miles. So far it has been a pleasure to drive, smooth and quiet on the motorway, (unlike the Megane), with an excellent, well built cabin, superb leather seats, really well equipped and seems very solidly built compared to the Renault. I bought one as my son has an earlier 2 litre diesel 02 Elite with 130,000 now covered and the engine is as strong as ever; it looks immaculate in glossy black. I always was impressed with his Vectra but I ignored his advice and bought a Megane 18 months ago, which turned out to be a mistake. Gearbox problems, squealing brakes, worn discs, electrical problems, electric window failure, all sorted under warranty but I found the 4 speed auto box felt like it needed another gear as it was noisy on the motorway and I never felt confident that something wouldn’t go wrong! The Vauxhall inspires confidence and I intend to keep it, it’s a luxurious motorcar with a smooth 6 speed well tried auto box and is a delight on longer drives whilst still averaging 42 mpg!

You bought it for £69500!? - C Petts from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-04-07 | ID: 49765

Vaughan Booth, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 LS Auto 2002

Owned from 6 months old, gentle use 55,000 miles in 7 years. Seals failed in radiator leading to water in the autogearbox which wrecks it. Vauxhall have known about this manufacturing fault for years now and even have dealer instruction sheet. They have not acknowledged letter I sent a week ago. It’s an internal fault you cannot see and it’s not covered by servicing. Looking at the number of scappers with this fault on ebay, they have problem that could be worse than the Toyota issues. you can’t sell a car with a sealed for life gearbox and radiators that fail after 50,000 miles. They go at all different ages no Vectra auto should be bought at any price. Astra’s also doing it, how safe will the Insignia be?<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-16 | ID: 49764

Michael Donovan, Carmarthenshire

Vauxhall Vectra 150PS SRI 2007

I’ve had this 1.9 CDI diesel for the past year, which now has 40k miles. Best car in 40 years driving. A blessed relief from the Skoda Fabia. The Vectra has the power on tap to pass safely, something the Fabia with 70hp wouldn’t do. Massive wheelbase and track provide great ride, yet the lump returns 56mpg! I like the quiet grumble of the diesel at 2000rpm in 6th at around 70mph. Problems? Wipers go beserk when the weather is freezing. There may be a wheel bearing. Tyre wear greater than Fabia. Had a lighting problem with a side light out, but it cured itself before I’d bought a bulb. Looked difficult to do anyway. Suspect the problem is water getting into electrics, maybe through the huge gap between the bonnet and the grille. Why is it there? Engine gets dirty, water gets in. Am thinking of blanking it off with some closed cell pipe insulation stuck on the bonnet lip. As editor of Practical Farm Ideas these probs have to be solved!<br /><br />

How do you replace side bulb drivers side without taking other parts out? Very difficult - Ronnie Simpson from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 49762

Zeshan Ali, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra sri new shape 2005

I had this car for about 10 months and have put in new clutch, flywheel and turbo 2 months ago and now the car is giving me problems again. It loses power now and then when I am pulling out of junction or stopped at traffic lights. I took it to the local garage but the engine light doesn’t show so they can’t find the fault, they saying it might be the fuel pump or the regulators. I have always liked Vauxhall but this one has put me off.

I had the exact same problem with my 06 plate vectra. Turns out it was the exhaust gas release valve or something similar sounding. Had it fixed under warranty. Maybe worth a try? - Lee Beck from England

We have had to replace 2 fuel pumps on the car. It has had endless problems, including a sticky boot lock that loses lubrication. Even the mirrors dropped off the wing mirrors. A nice looking car but expensive to run if you have a 2.2 engine. The only plus was the massive boot space - Z Joyce from Lancashire

It is 1 of 2 things - egr valve or dpf filter - had same problem replaced now sorted - Reg Ralph from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-02-26 | ID: 49758

Cammy Morris, Caithness

Vauxhall Vectra Sri 150 CDTi 2005

We have had this car for 4 years, it is one of the first facelift models. Had a few issues, EGR valve, alternator and flywheel, all of which were repaired under warranty. Other than that, this car has been one of the best we have had. Good performance, good fuel consumption, loads of room, good handling (once you are used to the steering). Also, quite a good looking car in the black. Honestly, I can’t really fault the car. Would be happy to buy one of the last XP models if I could find one.

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 49744

Philip Mitchell, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9sri diesel 5dr (hatchback) 2007

This is my first diesel, I am very pleased with my Vectra, it drives and handles really well. This car is a lot better than my old Vectra Sri, but I have a problem, the indicators, they seem to have a mind of their own. When I indicate to turn left or right they have a habit of knocking off before I have turned, they don’t do it all the time. I rang Vauxhall and told them about the problem.they told me to take my car to a vauxhall dealer .to find out if it was a manafacture fault, they checked the software and said everything was ok. I asked "did you take the car out for a run and try the indicators yourself?" They said no. I like this car a lot it’s just a shame Vauxhall don’t care if you have a problem after you have bought the car.

I’ve just dropped off my car at the dealership as I`ve developed a fault with the windscreen wipers; no power getting to the washers and once only option when you pull the stick down doesn`t work automatically it goes into a manual mode. I have looked on the net and it seems the low temperatures have some sort of effect on it, which i don`t understand!?? - Mark Buchanan from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

I have a 2.2 petrol Design Direct and also had this problem when first driving it. It seems that I hadn’t been pushing the indicator arm down low enough to engage properly. What you are experiencing is a ’first position’ for short term indication (overtaking). There appears to be a ’second position’ which should engage longer for turns etc. ( though it doesnt seem to noticeably ’click’ into place. If I remember this was mentioned somewhere in the manual. Good luck! While I am here could you tell me what tyres you have as I need new ones and am trying to find out Vauxhall standard fit for a Vectra? - from London

The indicators are normal. They flash 3 times when they are touched lightly and when pressed properly they stay on - Nicola Lay from Lancashire

Hi Philip, not sure if you know this but the Cectra has 2 types of indication, if you just lighty push the stalk you will get the motorway indication which means its flashes 3 times an then shuts off this is just for changing lanes on the motorway. If you push the stalk all the way this is a full indication and will stay on until you straighten the wheel or you turn it off. You are probably not pushing the stalk hard enough so it will shut off after 3 flashes. Hope this helps - Carl Taylor from Cheshire

30 years on from the Video recorder and people still aren’t reading the manual properly! Bad enough on something that only costs a few quid and records TV; truly stupid for something that costs thousand and more importantly, trust the life of you and your family to - Susan Fahey from England

Sorry but I have to mention the indicators. Yes there is two positions but even though you push for turning, any slight movement in the wheel can cancel. In addition, if you happen to slightly over touch while changing lanes, you risk the evil of having to manually cancel which involves dangerous concentration on the stalk and not the road, Just watch any Vectra and see the antics of some poor person indicating right, left, right, left while trying to cancel. I don’t think it’s just me as I’ve seen this so many times. I hope Vauxhall have gone back to good old mechanics - Neil J from Ayrshire

Are you sure that you pushing/pulling the stalk far enough? The indicators have two settings for want of a better explanation. There’s the option for overtaking - if you push up or pull down only slightly the indicators will flash for a short period, this is usually used for overtaking on motorways and the like where as if you pull or push fully the indicator will stay on until it is manually cancelled or until it is auto cancelled when coming out of a turn - Mark Harrison from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2010-01-01 | ID: 49745

Danny Lewis, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

I’ve had the car for 5 years, it’s only needed regular services and a steering rack and about 300 quid for other little jobs over the period, also done 160,000 miles.

Submitted: 2009-12-27 | ID: 49743

Ricky Hope, Aberdeenshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 tdi 1998

Hi there. I have a Vectra 98 2.0 tdi in good condition but the airbag/seatbelt light came on the dashboard the other day, I have disconnected the wires under boths seats in the front cleaned them and reconnected them but the light is still on. any suggestions please?

Airbags often need servicing (replacing) every so often. It was every 10 years on my Xantia. Perhaps yours is saying that it needs an airbag service? I hate these (non- cancellable) service indicators, their only function is to generate easy revenue for the manufacturers - George Lamb from Shropshire

Submitted: 2009-11-30 | ID: 49741

Roland Dixon, Sussex

Vauxhall Vectra 6 speed automatic 2005

At 65k the gear box has failed I am at present ready to have it reconditioned at a cost of £2,600 after Vauxhall is refusing to help me. They say the warranty has run out @ 60,000miles and thats it. Sorry but we had your £12,500 18 months ago and we just dont care. That is what your told from a call centre in Hungary, you try and speak to someone at Luton Beds & they just direct you back to Hungary. I was told to write to the Director at Vauxhall by the dealer I bought the car from. I did three weeks ago, still no reply so in my opinion I would advise people not to buy a 1.9 Vauxhall 6 speed automatic as Vauxhall seem to think in this modern age of the car that 65k for a gear box is OK. DONT BUY ONE

The auto boxes seem to be best avoided, from what I can see. There’s another review here that says the same thing, seals going between the radiator and the "sealed for life" auto gearbox, causing failure. And apparently they are well aware, even publishing a dealer info sheet about it. Shame the public haven’t got hold this info yet - Bob Arnott from Bedfordshire

Got 08 diesel 6 speed auto 26000 miles on clock packed up on weekend, don’t know yet what the problem is, hope it’s not serious - Ray Lewis from Merthyr Tydfil

Same thing happened to me last year. Vectra 1.9 cdti SRI Auto, 2005. Car had done 63K and gearbox packed up. Off the shelf warranty from one of the big players refused to pay after 2 examinations as they said the fault was building up and it wasn’t a sudden failure. Vauxhall also refused to help. New box cost £3K and now at 80K and going well but next time will go for a manufacturer that does 5/7 year warranties, as modern autos don’t seem to be as reliable as the 4 speeders of yester year - from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2009-09-16 | ID: 49753

scarletboyambyth, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS 2004

The Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS 2004 39,000 miles. I have read multiple reviews of the Vectra over the last month or so and each seems to contradict the last; very confusing and conflicting reviews. Here is mine: I had always considered a Vectra too big therefore consuming too much fuel and costing far too much to run. I thought they looked good but would be too pricey. I thought a car of Vectra size would be sluggish and have the turning circle of an HGV, I thought they would be insurance group 5673!! However, 3 weeks ago I test drove one as I had seen a real bargain! £3490 for an 04 plate car with 39k miles, air con, remote central locking, CD/radio... I had to try it at least. The car seemed perfect for me. The steering was responsive, the car looked good, it had enough power... I bought it! After owning the car for 10 days these are my conclusions. Steering and handling - responsive and agile for a big car. The turning circle of the car is great considering the length. It banks well at speed and gives you a good feeling of road holding. Power and acceleration - it seems to be sluggish from a stop start compared to others in its class but once getting up through the gears and over 2000rpm it’s full of life and has enough power to jet past Aunty Doris in her Kia Piccanto doing 15mph on a 30mph road. If you’re looking for power at more speed then the Vectra has that too! On a motorway it cruises at 85mph in 5th gear at 2500rpm and can fly by most cars driven by boy racers without any trouble, drop it down a gear and wave as the go faster stripes become a blur. It’s no M3 but it has more power than its credited with! Road noise and suspension - there is more road noise than I thought after reading many reviews but still extremely quiet. You can whisper when driving on the right road and a person in the boot would hear you! The suspension is OK, but not great. It does glide over most bumps but I feel this is an area that could do with some improvement. Interior - plenty of room in the front and adequate room in the back. The gadgets as standard are very good but it still has rear wind up windows! The cup holders up front are handy and the arm rest/storage unit is a blessing - holds all you need in terms of sat nav, phones etc and so comfortable to lean on when cruising! The boot is gigantic!! I could live in it - and the cubby holes are handy also. There is a problem with dog guards fitting though. The seats come back to the window so a general dog guard will not fit. After trying 3 dog guards I finally found one that fits! Its £67.99 at Halfords (on sale for £44.99) and fits onto the rear headrests! Perfect as you can still fit the parcel shelf! MPG - I get around 32MPG around town which for a big car is good! I drive like any other 28 year old man - a cross between Grandad and cousin Chav in his Clio Sport so a real mixture. I have yet to drive at distance on the motorway but am guessing at around 39-40MPG. Conclusion: - I would give my car 8.5 out of 10. It has everything I need and does everything I want - but then if you can afford an Audi then get that instead. This car is the perfect £3000-5000 car for what I can afford but it may be different for you. I have given my honest opinion and hope that you make the right choice for you.

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 49757

Rob Robi, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra LS 2.0 Dti Hatch 2008

Great car! Best one yet!

Submitted: 2009-07-21 | ID: 49879

John Britton, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

Vauxhall want to take the car out for another road test - that makes it three times now. So I will see what they do again on Tuesday. Will they want to keep it again for a few days?

Submitted: 2009-07-20 | ID: 49880

John Britton, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 SRI 2007

I had a oil leak from the clutch area on my car and the clutch was replaced. Now the car makes a noise when you use the clutch peddle - it’s been back a few times and Vauxhall still can’t fix it. I am not happy with the service I get even though i like this car a lot!

Submitted: 2009-07-17 | ID: 49883

Norm, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra SRi VVT 2008

Low profiles and 19 inch alloys make it a firm ride. But it goes round corners like it’s on rails. Plenty of gadgets and a nice stereo. Only slight problem is the accelerator has slight lag and the indicators take some getting used to, but otherwise very pleased.

Submitted: 2009-07-15 | ID: 49884

Chris Penman, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Vectra sri cdti 150. 2006

I’ve always liked Vauxhall but I bought this one 8 months ago and its had 2 EGR VALVES , a WIRE HARNESS fitted and it still has no power at low revs. you need to rely on the turbo all the time but still my turbo seems to hesitate, its been in the dealers 4 times now and they still cant find whats wrong !!!!! I’ve only got 2 wks warranty left and I know im going to have to fork out money when my warranty does run out.

You will probabaly need a diesel particulate filter, they’re a 1000 pound, my car needs one - Ian Wagstaffe from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-07-10 | ID: 49881

Rob, Wiltshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 16v LS 2001

It is a nice all round car, room in the back seats and boot. They are cheap to buy and fix (if you don’t touch the Vauxall dealers, they will rip you off). The 1.8 LS is under powered but there is hardly any noise when driving at 70mph. They come in ranges like box standard, posh, and sports. Just watch out on the electrics, that is Vauxhall’s worse problem. The basic ones are the best to buy due to less electrical things to go wrong.

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 49872

Paul Hary, Middlesex

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 sri nav 2007

Nice looking car, however... interior is made of cheap plastic (squeaky sounds fixed under warranty), the back shelf is making noises on the bumps, noisy while on the road. When the first gear is selected the engine makes funny noise like as if something was tearing inside, the engine is underpowered for a 140 bhp, not very economical in the town. The maps of Europe cost about £100 - I had 1996 Omega 2.5 V6 - I have to say that this 15 years old car was in a better condition than my 2 years old Vectra and far more powerful and comfortable - I would really have a second thought when buying another Vectra - maybe 2.8 V6 engine is better but 1.8 is a crab.

I hear what you’re saying but the comment about the new 1.8 not being as powerful as your old 2.5 V6.... I wonder why you’d be surprised by that! - David C from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2009-06-15 | ID: 49875

Pauly C, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 VVT Life Petrol 2007

I have had Vectra’s for 8 years. I previously had a 1997 1.8 LS. So I bought the 1.8 Life (being the replacement). Although I’m generally happy with the car several issues do annoy me: Clutch - judder is terrible and erratic from standing start or whilst gear is moving and in stop and start traffic. It gets progressively worse. It sometimes seems impossible to pull away smoothly; you tend to get a kind of da da da da (my car does not have T/C). The clucth/ accelerator never seems to have the same sensitivity (I’ve driven 50 or so cars/vans and always quickly got used to whatever I was driving). I was kind of hoping this was due to it being a new car/clutch but nothing has improved. Indicators (touch sensitive) good idea in principle but when lightly touching the stalk to cancel, say L, the R then comes on. The signals cancel early before you’ve gone round the roundabout and then never cancel after turning at a junction. Acceleration is fair/OK but it has been slightly improved by fitting a K&M panel filter (gives a bit more poke) and for gods sake Vauxhall; if you do keep using this engine please put a 6 speed box on the end of it - it seems to rev very high when cruising. Overall a decent car - nice ride, comfortable cruiser and it can be chucked round corners when you get used to the feedback. True MPG from me - motorway; I’ve had 53/mpg but combined is about 38/40 mpg.

Well folks gotta say it after some silly bint crashed into the side of my Vectra and having had a Ford Focus courtesy car for 2 weeks, I’m very glad to get my Vetra back. THANKYOU - Pauly C from Durham

Submitted: 2009-06-10 | ID: 49877

Chris Sperl, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra Elite 2006

Bought directly from Vauxhall Management, so this well-specc’d car had the luxury of every other available option factory fitted. I downgraded from the V6 SRi for tax reasons, and was extremely disappointed with the 1.9 Unit initially. It had to go back to the Dealership so many times that they eventually sent a Field Technician out from Vauxhall directly, and he couldn’t cure it either. Resigned to the fact that I was stuck with a good looking and massively equipped car with no decent performance to match, I took it to the VXr Performance Centre in Banbury.....the result from their Software remap is incredible. Not only do I now get high 40’s/ low 50’s MPG, it rockets from 0-60 in a shade over 6 seconds!! So there you have it - a luxury motor with every conceivable gadget, with a performance that will leave (most) others for dead on a sprint. I was planning on chopping it in after 3 years, but given how much I love driving it, I now plan to run it into the ground...however long that will be!

Submitted: 2009-06-08 | ID: 49874

Simon Burch, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 Cdti Elite 2006

An excellent vehicle which I bought in UK and exported to France. Headlight change was no problem as was re-registration. I found it no problem getting the European Certificate of Conformity from Luton. It gives me an average mpg of over 50 and on long runs even more if you do not use the air con too much. The 6 speed gearbox is magnificent in either mode. I regularly travel back to UK from home in Brittany, a distance of nearly 500kms to Boulogne and it behaves impeccably. I use the cruise control for 80% if the journey and it behaves well compared to the system on my old Senator. I have done two return trips to southern Turkey and it behaved impeccably. Whilst in Turkey the EGR valve needed replacement as the warning engine management light came on. The local Opel dealer in Alanya got the part within 24 hours and all was fitted for half the price in Europe. I even got a full 4th service done while I was supplied with tea and cakes in the showroom! On the downside, I found it took quite a while to get the drivers seat into the right position. Also I am not too keen on the in-built SatNav as you have to buy a Disc for each country so I only use it in UK and use my TomTom elsewhere in Europe. The only change I have made is to replace the Vauxhall badges with Opel Blitzes which are more modern than the Griffin. Prior to my Vectra, I had a Megane Cabriolet which was a problem for my Greyhound to get into and before that a Senator for 10 years. What a vehicle!

Submitted: 2009-06-04 | ID: 49873

Marc Purdy, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9cdti sri 150 2006

Hello all, I bought this car 7 months ago from a local garage and loved it as soon as i saw it. Me and my family went on holiday to Devon and the car let me down massively - I took it in to a garage in Devon and they put it on the diagnostics and for some bizarre reason it had no fault code until it broke down again on holiday. I took it back and they plugged it back in and it came up with E/G/R valve so we phoned Vauxhall dealer up in Plymouth, which was not very helpful at all, but what they did tell me is that the E/G/R valve is a common fault and there is lots on back order so if your cars suddenly loose lack of power engine management light comes on lots of black smoke out the exhaust its most likely to this and was told this might happen again sometime. So, I’m not very happy with this car - steer clear and buy a Mazda, Honda or Nissan; much more reliable cars.

Submitted: 2009-06-02 | ID: 49871

Chico, England

Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2006

Good all round performance from a 1.8. Excellent gadgets and plenty of leg room. Averaging 45 mpg overall covering country roads & fast motorway driving. As Andy (Notts) has said - far better than any Skoda.

Submitted: 2009-05-18 | ID: 49870

Chuck, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra CD 2000

Have had 2 years trouble free motoring. Excellent flexible gearbox, brakes to match and reasonable economy. Interior as good as Mondeo and good sized boot. Handling as good as any in class especially off motorways...

Submitted: 2009-04-28 | ID: 49865

Dave Tyler, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 2008

Fantastic car, comfy, reliable and very economical.

Submitted: 2009-04-20 | ID: 49866

Jamie Aldridge, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 GLS 1998

I bought my Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 GLS for £300. I find it to be a good car; its comfy, it looks nice in and is quite nippy but the only thing that bothers me about Vauxhall’s is that there is always something going wrong with them. My manifold studs have just snapped and I have got to get them drilled out but I think the car is worth sorting out so I will get everything done to it. Normally if something goes wrong with a car I just sell it and get a new one but I want to keep this one.

Submitted: 2009-03-23 | ID: 49869

Paul Anderson, Buckinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 SRi VVT Estate 2008

Painfully underpowered and thirsty as a result. I managed 24 MPG. How anyone can describe this model as lively is beyond me...

Sounds like you should have bought a sports car!! - from England

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 49867

Martin, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra DTi 2004

My first (new) 2004 Vectra had problem with the clutch pedal sticking down occasionally (with the clutch engaged) from new. Local dealer was very helpful and after changing various components the car went back to Germany for further investigation and I was supplied with another new Vectra. I drove that car for 80000 miles without a single fault - it returned nearly 50 mpg in general use and 60+mpg on the motorway (yes - really) and still drove like a new car when I parted with it. I found it well equipped (included cruise control) comfortable to drive even on several 400-mile journeys, quiet, plenty of space for passengers - and the boot is absolutely cavernous - ideal for my work. I was pleased with my previous S-Reg Vectra - this one was superb.

Submitted: 2008-12-29 | ID: 49846

Colin Fairhurst, Conwy

Vauxhall Vectra 1.6 club 2002

The final incarnation of the vectra ’B’ has remained an average family hatchback in an un-involving sort of way. It does most things well enough and is probably as reliable as most other cars in its class. Other than regular maintainance the car has only needed one item due to failure, a coil pack after 5 years! On the plus side the car regularly returns a very creditable 43 MPG fully loaded on a good cross country run and on a personal note I like the BLACK (not grey,beige,cream or any other new fangled colours !) interior colour. The boot is a good size although this is obtained, I suspect, at the expense of rear seat legroom. Overall, this is a good but uninspiring motor suitable for anyone who is not actually a motoring enthusiast.

Submitted: 2008-12-22 | ID: 49847

Lee Mac, Durham

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0dti 2003

I paid 3 and a half grand for it over a year ago with 56k on the clock - now that’s what I call value for money. I tried the Mondeo and it was just too tinny for me - I’ve always hated Ford’s - the Mondeo didn’t even have a digital clock - just a clock that looked something like an old man’s wristwatch. I get around 49/52mpg which is great considering fuel prices and as a tow vehicle it performs well too. I get around 29/31 mpg dragging 1200 kg tourer - now that can’t be bad. People seem too quick to slate it but compare them to vehicles that are far more expensive. Thumbs up from me!

Submitted: 2008-12-17 | ID: 49844

Anthony Foxell, Swansea

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 Ls 2004

I love the Vectra ( 02 onwards), nice looking, refined to drive and there’s something Audi-like about them. Good value second hand too.

Submitted: 2008-12-12 | ID: 49845

Andrew, Fife and Kinross Shires

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 LS 2008

Can’t fault it. Owned for 4 years now. Cheap to run, comfortable and ultra reliable. For those that want a car that drives like a BMW or Audi ... buy a BMW or Audi and pay 3 times more for it than the Vectra. This car is a fraction of the price so ... don’t expect more than you pay for and you will be well rewarded. Mine is now at 55,000 miles with only servicing and tyres to pay for (and timing belt). Had a Jag S Type before this - it cost far more than the Vectra and was THE most expensive and unreliable car I’ve ever had. Also had an Audi before that - nothing but trouble and expense from that too. So the Vectra is highly recommended in my book.

Submitted: 2008-12-08 | ID: 49843

Lech Kluk, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra 2004

Reference tyre noise. I swapped my tyres to Good Year yesterday , 3/12/08 and surprise , the road noise and wobble has gone (for now maybe) Had the wheels balanced several times previously, and made no difference. Also anybody else had coil spring failure. 2nd failure yesterday, ripped front tyre to bits, but fortunately I was only travelling at about 20 mph at the time, so managed to stop. Normally travel on the motorway at that time of day, so what would have happened, I hate to think.

My passengers side coil spring was replaced two weeks ago, roughly a year after the drivers side was replaced due to snapping as well. The gararge where I purchased the car said, it is fine to drive with a snapped spring LOL!!!! You will probably get a kinda scraping noise when you go over speed bumps, but noone can supposedly find a fault. Should be a vauxhall re-call. The fault is the bush, situated to the right of the engine. I now have a loud whirring noise coming from the engine I think, though it only does it when you get to about 3000rpm. This happens in every gear now, just out of the garage where I work and they cannot find anything, said it will have to go to Vauxhall. If anyone can help with this problem please. Would not buy another one ever - from Dumbartonshire

Failed Mot today on fracture off front coil springs 55 plate sri 150, seems a common problem on vectra vauxhall, should help car only got 36k miles and also had to replace alternator maybe get a skoda (lol) anything but vauxhall - David Taylor from Cheshire

Front coil spring went at 33,000 miles, replaced it then a week later the other one went exactly the same and fractured in exactly the same place. Definitely something not right, worth a recall - Alan Young from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Submitted: 2008-12-05 | ID: 49839

Gareth Campbell, County Down

Vauxhall Vectra 2005

Excellent car, very smooth drive. Handles the road very well and very spacious. Very good family car and a pleasure to drive. We bought the Vectra Breeze and are very happy with the purchase.

Submitted: 2008-11-19 | ID: 49849

Stephen Breeze, Surrey

Vauxhall Vectra 2003

It’ll do for me!

Submitted: 2008-11-05 | ID: 49848

Nigel, Dorset

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 gls estate auto 1998

Very easy and comfortable to drive on motorways and country roads alike. Acceleration is very good and the sport switch is useful at the lights. I used to drive a Ford Focus Zetec but find the Vectra more driver-friendly as I am now disabled.

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 49850

Andy, Nottinghamshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 SRI 2007

Fantastic car, very comfortable, lots of leg-room in the back, large boot and loads of gadgets. CD player, cruise control, automatic electric windows from off the key fob, fully loaded. Does very well on fuel, I’m getting around 46mpg. Road noise is a little disappointing, seems to be lots of road noise coming from the tyres. In regards to Mark from Derbyshire’s comment - you must be driving a white stick with a walking stick if you prefer a Skoda to a Vauxhall; and on top of that you need to open your eyes when looking for gadgets because even the most basic Vectra has many, try reading the manual you might figure out where these devices are.

Submitted: 2008-10-22 | ID: 49851

Mick Jenkinson, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra Life 2007

I recently bought a Vectra 1.8 Life - clutch judder when reversing and the accelerator has a slight pause - this is something the dealer is unable to rectify. Good all-round car but spoilt by this fault.

Submitted: 2008-10-15 | ID: 49838

Andy Barclay, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra 2.0 Dti Active 2003

I have recently purchased a Vectra 2.0 turbo diesel. It has had 2 previous owners and only a recorded 38,000 miles on the clock. Overall I have found it to be a good, comfortable car, classy looking with plenty of gadgets to play with. I have been returning about 44 mpg, mostly town driving with occasional blast round the dear old M25. My only concern is the noise coming from the tyres. I have had the steering, suspension, wheel bearings all checked and are ok. The rumble from the tyres needs me to turn up the radio and apologise to any rear seat passengers. Has anyone else had the same problem, and more importantly- what is the cure... new tyres or a change of car!!!!!!!!

Yep, same noise from my Vectra 2.2 probably the big gaps in the alloys. I also have a clicking noise that sounds like a mouse eating my wires away behind the dash but I think it’s something to do with the air circulation valve. Anybody out there had the same noises? If so, any help would be good thanks - Richard Rank from England

I have an XP SRI diesel and the noise is horrific of the tyres, I’m running 19" Bridgestones and had all the bearings, bushes and drop links checked and they’re all okay. I’m thinking it’s the tyres for sure - Allan Mackay from Sutherland

I also have a 2.0dti Vectra Estate (53). My tyres rumble a bit, it’s just the tread pattern in my case. As for the car, superb! I’ve been in the trade since 1963 and once Vauxhall sorted out the body rot problems, they are excellent cars. I have had three Frontera estates, apart from very minor problems as you will get on new cars anyway, they were great cars. As for Vauxhall critics (especially those on TV who have no technical ability whatsoever), wake up! - from Roxburghshire

I have found this to be the tyres, I’ve got the same problem as I am only using budget tyres because of the cost of decent tyres - from England

Submitted: 2008-09-29 | ID: 49832

Richard Mason, London

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 Auto. 2005

For a petrol auto it is good on fuel with 37mpg at motorway speeds. Quiet, smooth, reasonable feedback from steering. Quick acceleration from standstill but less so at higher speeds. Auto box in stop start traffic can change with big "clunks", I had same problem on a 02 model Vectra. Reliability has been good only wiper motor needing replacing & a fuel sensor. Previous 02 car had big problems with ECU & was never really sorted out. This model has an improved wiring loom apparently that has solved the problem. Seats are a minus being hard & uncomforatable. Dash is uninspiring but there are no rattles after 3 years & 50k miles. After 50k miles still just on original tyres previous model needed replacing at 20k miles. Having had the luck to try the Insignia, it really leaves the Vectra way behind but it is even bigger.

Submitted: 2008-09-19 | ID: 49837

Gurdev Patel, England

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti design 2008

I am very happy with my car, it is very smooth and nice to drive. It handles very well. The fuel consumption is excellent. Also the car is very spacious and the car has a spacious boot. Overall i wll give this car ten out of ten. It is superb. I give credit to vauxhall for making this car.

Submitted: 2008-09-15 | ID: 49830

Phil Evans, Wrexham

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8vvt sri hatch 2008

Having moved from the vec b v6 sri to this four pot version I am pleasently surprised - the handling is quite good and the ride is not too firm the steering is lighter but still with a driver feel about it the vvt engine rev well through the gears and can hit the legal limit with ease. I am happy with the driving position as the drivers seat is multi adjustable and the steering adjusts to suit the rear leg room is not as much as i would like for an adult but the boot space makes up for this downfall in my books. Overall I am one happy Vectra owner.

Submitted: 2008-09-12 | ID: 49831

Clive, Essex

Vauxhall Vectra SRI 2008

Very poor - - handling - rear leg room - equipment level - quality. I think Clarkson’s review was far too kind. Plastic is used where metal should be, the interior is just awful. The handling is atrocious, you have to go so much slower round the bends than in the Saab 9-3. Whoever put the SRI badge on this car was having a laugh. Do not buy this car.

You need to see this car for what it is; fast, reliable, with a germanic quality to it and nice alloys. Read the other reports Clive - Jack Williams from Staffordshire

When I read this review I thought it was very harsh, having owned a 1.8 vectra c estate. (18 vvt sri 16v estate) for the last 2 years I’ve had no problems with it, it does what it’s meant to do. It’s a workhorse, loads of space, very comfy, if you push the revs up the vvt cuts in, just means holding in the gears a bit longer and it will perform better. Don’t think people under stand vvt? Low revs mean 120 bhp, high revs vvt cuts in 140bhp, very simple it isn’t rocket science. These engines were made to rev high, yes you have to work the gear box but that’s the fun of these cars it aint a v6 you know? - Geoff Bunker from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2008-07-08 | ID: 49861

Doug, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Vectra Elite Estate 1.9cdti 150 2004

I’ve now driven this car for over 70,000 miles and it has been outstanding. Fantastically equipped, and with an extremely comfortable ride that easily matches the supposed ’premium’ brands. It’s consistently returned over 50mpg without trying particularly hard to drive carefully. The load capacity is enormous. Can’t recommend it enough.

Submitted: 2008-07-02 | ID: 49860

Mark, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Vectra sri diesel 150 2008

Standard equipment is abysmal - no climate control, no cruise control, no parking sensors. CD player only - no aux port, CD player does not play MP3 disks. Interior design by Stevie Wonder. Just switched to this car from a Saab 93 with same engine and gearbox, hoping to get more space and lower tax. Handling is awful, squirms and slithers around like an Austin Maxi (which on balance I’d rather have). For the money - it’s bloody theft. Am opting out of the company car scheme to get away from this atrocious piece of tat. In the past 6 years I still have not driven anything as good as my old 2.5 diesel Skoda Superb. That includes A4 quatros, Holdens, Toyota Camrys, Volvos, Hondas and Saabs.

The cruise control button is on the end of the indicator stalk. Click on the top and the car maintains the same speed and you can give your right leg a rest. use brake or clutch and it returns to pedal control. Re plastic interior; surely you looked before buying / selecting / agreeing? Or was the car provided by your employer? In which case it becomes the butt of your work frustrations! - Mike Don from Carmarthenshire

Well said Don. The Vauxhall Vectra SRi is a beauitful piece of engineering, not only in its handling but in its looks. It’s up there with the German builds as far as I am concerned. Why pay out twice the price for a badge when you have same great, reliable build from Vaxuall. To comment on its handling in a negative way is unbelivable - I cummute 60 miles a day, everyday of the week, up and down the motorway and the car is consistant, quick, comfy and executive. As for its looks, it’s gotta snarl to it, it turns heads, especially in dark blue! If you’re looking for a stupidly fast car that will gaurentee you a fine and the loss of your license then go and buy a 420 BHP monster, thats what they’re for! The Vauxhall Vectra SRi is an executive family car with a sporty edge, NOT a sports car, If your were buying the car, surely you’d have a test drive first, or at least sit inside and look at what buttons do what!? For anyone who might read these comments, ignore the negative ones, this car is top notch! As for Jeremy Clarkson, he hides his deep insecurites behind his big head and Aston Martin steering wheel! Good night! - from Worcestershire

I think you will find it does have cruise control if you look hard enough - Graham Molyneux from Lancashire

Submitted: 2008-06-20 | ID: 49856

Sam Lee, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 design 2006

I bought my Vectra 12 months ago and have enjoyed its excellent fuel economy, it is an excellent car loaded or unloaded, however be aware, Vauxhall have major problems with clutch judder on all petrol range vehicles and it is almost impossible to find a dealership who are competent enough to rectify the problem. This also includes Vauxhall’s warranty department who are the worst people I have ever dealt with, they hide behind phones For only a little bit more more money you can by a Saab, which has a history of excellent customer service, keep in mind general motors own both companies but more importantly has technicians who can and want to rectify problems. I have to travel 15 miles to another dealership to get quality service in Coventry, despite being 2 minutes from a Leamington dealership.

Submitted: 2008-06-17 | ID: 49855

Chris, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 CDTI Design 2006

I bought this car being 9 months old for £12.5k, with 7,500 miles on the clock. It’s the Design variant which is half leather and very well equipped inside. The 6 Speed Gearbox is very smooth and performance is good from the 120BHP engine. Drive it hard and you’ll get 46mpg, take it easy and use the 6th gear whenever possible (55mph+) and you’ll get 50-53mpg. Cruise control works very well and is far superior to the cruise control i had on my previous Mondeo car. The engine is available as either a 120BHP or 150BHP. I went for the 120 purely because i went for a diesel for economy. If i had 150BHP, i’d more than likely use it and defeated the object of switching to diesel! The ECU can be very easily reprogrammed to 150BHP by local specialists. It has a DAB radio fitted as standard which works very well and gives a superb range of station to choose from. The 6 CD Autochanger and FM Radio work well too. First annual service from a Vauxall dealer is £150 and is performed at 20,000 or within 1 year. whichever comes sooner. I’ve had this car just over a year now and i enjoy driving it as much now as i did the day i picked it up.

Submitted: 2008-06-12 | ID: 49854

Jon Barton, Yorkshire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 petrol 2007

Dreadful, awful, appalling car. Noisy, ugly ,fascia looks like a Curry’s Far Eastern hi-fi. 10 years ago it would have been poor, today it’s a sick joke. No wonder nobody pays much for them!

Why did you buy it? - Will Deer from Lancashire

Submitted: 2008-05-28 | ID: 49852

Colin Simmons, Suffolk

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 Elegance 2002

The Vectra handles well but is slow accelerating. I had problems with the cabin dials and knobs but the Vauxhall dealers have not been very helpful... Apart from that it is a decent performer but in hindsight I would probably have gone for a Mondeo.

Submitted: 2008-04-30 | ID: 49864

Turner Roy, Devon

Vauxhall Vectra 2.2 d petrol/LPG 2002

I converted to LPG two years ago and pay 50p per litre with the same consumption and performance as petrol. My Vectra serves as builders van, trailer hauler and touring car Very reliable, cheap to maintain and a good performer.

Submitted: 2008-03-03 | ID: 49825

Lennie Brown, England

Vauxhall Vectra 2007

I am very pleased with my new Vectra. We hired one on holiday a couple of years ago and it was dead slow but this new engine is so much better. It’s really nippy; the only reservation I have is that I feel the accelerator has a slight pause when I put my foot down. Does anybody else find this? I was advised by the engineer that it was OK and said it’s all tight being new and it would loosen up so I will give it a couple of months to see if he is right. It is a lovely smooth quiet ride though.

Submitted: 2007-11-01 | ID: 49827

Dave Smithson, Lancashire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8 2007

I bought my Vectra nearly new and saved a lot on the list price. This is an affordable family car with plenty of space. Comfortable, but not the sharpest drive in its class.

Submitted: 2007-10-24 | ID: 49826

Paul Page, Fife and Kinross Shires

Vauxhall Vectra SRI 1.8 Sat-Nav 2007

Handles like a dream on back roads, drives with total ease on motorways, evan when fully loaded. Most comfortable seats than any vectra and cavalier ive had before.

Submitted: 2007-09-26 | ID: 49829

Gary Pearce, Gloucestershire

Vauxhall Vectra 1.8i 16v LS 5 dr (Hatchback) 2007

Very pleased with my Vectra. Very smooth drive, on both long and short journeys. Handles really well and all the space you need in a family car.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 49828

• "How will I know if the gear linkage is worn? It won`t go into reverse unless I open the bonnet and push it in from the gearbox, then it will go into ..." (bobby, 23/10/2014 02:47:08)
  • "My problem whit it is, im tryng to access the board informatsion [to chek fuel consumtion and so on] but i cant get any access to it. The left adjus..." (sander, 13/10/2014 23:29:12)
  • "Engine overheating. Dashboard warning light continually on. Exhaust manifold gasket "burning away"...." (Alan Aldridge, 10/10/2014 08:53:13)
  • "I had steering heaviness and changed the steering coupling and this has eliminated a lot of the issues, however the steering still gets heavy when tu..." (adrian, 08/10/2014 18:31:35)
  • "I have had a problem with my Vauxhall Vectra with the dashboard dials going off for no reason whilst driving. Looking at your readers` forum it seems..." (kevin slaven, 07/10/2014 22:29:57)

• sander's question has been answered: "I forgot to add it`s 1.8 exclusiv petrol 2007 - sander from Hertfordshire' '..." (13/10/2014 23:38:25)
  • paul wilcock's question has been answered: "Take passenger`s inner wheel arch off, you can get into the bottle from there - neal from North Lanarkshire' '..." (09/10/2014 15:49:15)

Vauxhall Vectra