Vauxhall Banner

Vauxhall Astravan consumer car reviews and road tests

Vauxhall Astravan

Vauxhall Astravan consumer reviews by year of make:2000 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Vauxhall Astravan consumer car reviews

Victor, Hampshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2006 - 2012

Lovely motor. 700+ miles to a tank and it shifts when it has to. Brilliant!

Submitted: 2014-11-12 | ID: 106123

JOHN TYLER, Northumberland

Vauxhall Astravan 2006 - 2012

I cannot fault my van ,when i purchased it only had 78000 miles on the clock - only thing im struggling with is the the rear tailgate guard - getting the correct one and how to fit it

Submitted: 2014-10-27 | ID: 105197

Andy, Devon

Vauxhall Astravan SE 204 BHP 2010

Got this van from new, couple of small issues sorted out on warranty, EGR valve and small water leak on roof rail, had it mapped on dyno and kicking out 204HP on dyno with print out. Goes like an Impreza now with massive torque. Awesome.

Submitted: 2014-02-03 | ID: 49124

Steve Burrows, Durham

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7cdti sportive 2008

My gearbox in my van at 112,000 miles has started to whine so death is coming. It has the front fog lights fitted to the front and one dashboard switch for the fog lights. I press the single switch and the rear fog light comes on, but not the front fog lights?

Submitted: 2013-12-01 | ID: 49123

Chris, Lancashire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.9 CDTI Sportive 2009

This has been a fantastic vehicle, now just past 145k under my custody. So far its had the following parts, which is just amazing: 50k on a set of tyres; 2x headlight bulbs; 1 set of wiper blades; 1 set front brake pads; 2 sets of tyres; crank oil seal; cambelt plus aux belt and front right wheel bearing Comments on fuel consumption, I drive enthusiastically and does between 48 mpg and 51 mpg, long term average over the last 40k has been 48.7. I do just over 40k a year. This is the 120bhp 1.9 8v, fitted with satnav, PDC, Bluetooth, cruise and auto lights/wipers. Quick for a van, handles brilliantly. Just a bit of a shame about the noise; I found these reviews whilst looking for a bit of a solution to it!

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 49112

Phil Course, England

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 sportive 2008

First new van I’ve bought for my business and what a mistake! It has been nothing but trouble. Within 6 months a knocking from the front end, so new bushes fitted. Just after a year it started jumping out of third gear, so the gear box was rebuilt. At 18 months the paint on back door blistered from underneath the paint, Walkers of Worksop service manager said this was due to "stone chips mate"! Yeah right, not a blemish on the front of the van - back door stone chips?! Just outside of the warranty the gear box had to be rebuilt again, then the alternator packed up last year. There has been loads of other minor stuff and Vauxhall customer service is probably one of the worst. Not great as a van and not very comfy if you’re tall. On the plus side it looks good,but I’d rather have a reliable vehicle. I Won’t be buying another one that’s for sure!

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 49116

Phil, Northern Ireland

Vauxhall Astravan Sportive 2005

I bought this only to find out it needed a new clutch, flywheel timing belt kit, waterpump heater motor, discs and pads and a few other bits. Make sure you take someone with you who knows a good bit about cars before buying!

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 49115

Johner Roy, Berkshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.9CDti Sportive 120 2009

Went for the Astra because it’s most like a car but cheaper on tax! Nice van for quick driving, but the gearbox does annoy me on most journeys, it’s too notchy and feels reluctant to quick shift. The road noise also lets it down. Trying to have some fun in the snow I also realised you can’t switch off the Stability programme...sad! Negatives apart I can’t think of any other vans that would be as good to live with overall, so definitely a winner.

Yes you can turn off the tc, - Hold Down from England

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 49113

Mark, Lancashire

Vauxhall Astravan SE 150 1.9CDTI 2012

Got the Van from new from Perries of Colne. No locking nuts supplied and the van not perfectly clean, with the nearside passenger mirror case not fitted correctly. I was advised that I did not need the free offer of ply-lining by the sales manager because it is rubber/plastic lined anyway. I now have dents in both side panels of the van because it does need ply lining. Also the diesel cap seems to leak unless you click it shut about 7 clicks/turns; you would think 3 would be enough. Also, the fuel gauge needle does stick on a reguler basis. The shock absorbers went before 20,000 and were replaced free under warranty, but unfortunately the cost of 2 new tyres due to the uneven wear from the broken shocks I had to pay for. I was also told when buying the van that I had 4 years free servicing and break down cover, which I don’t. Other than that I love the van. It handles well and you will be amazed at what you can beat, if you know how to drive that is. Avoid dodgy dealers, get yours ply-lined, check for fuel stains down the side of your van and make sure that the needle isn’t going to make you run out of diesel and I am sure you will enjoy this good looking fast van.

Submitted: 2012-06-04 | ID: 49119

Chris Barrett, Kent

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 Cdti Envoy 2004

Comfortable to drive, solidly built and excellent fuel economy. The cargo area is a decent size to. Great for multi drop work.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-04-16 | ID: 49117

John Rodgers, Norfolk

Vauxhall Astravan Sportive 2012

On the plus side the Astra sportive is quick (too quick at times), but if you are tavelling long distances the seats are terrible. The seat consists of a thin moulded layer of foam rubber resting on a steel bar which runs across the seat under your thigh. There is no polite way of putting this. Your bum drops into the space behind this metal bar and the bar cuts into the underside of your thigh. Obviously some drivers sit in different positions and some may find this seat cofortable. However, as a fairly average sized driver (5 ft 11inch and 13 stone) I find it a real problem. My workmates driving this vehicle all complain of the same problem. It is a shame that an otherwise good vehicle is spoiled by such a poorly designed seat.

Submitted: 2012-04-02 | ID: 49118

Scott, Berkshire

Vauxhall Astravan Sportive 120 2011

Previously had a 2002 Berlingo, which did the same mpg. I missed the height for a while, but not any more. This van is fast and the 2011 model has a sound liner in the back so it’s pretty quiet. All the kit works really well and it handles too. No mods needed on this van, but may go for a bit of dynomat at some point for a bit more peace and quiet. A leather gearknob would be nice too. I bought the load liner which is ok if you tie everthing down, otherwise the load slides around on it. It’s also really tricky to get out as its a tight fit. Over all the best small van out there and I looked around at them all.

Submitted: 2011-11-30 | ID: 49122

Ben, Essex

Vauxhall Astravan 1.9 sportive cdti 2008

Great to drive, fast and handles well but... The gearboxes on these vans are rubbish! Just google M32 gearbox and see how many have bearing failure; mine went at 40000 miles. It starts with a whine on 6th gear and then disintegrates. An expensive design fault that lets down an otherwise great van.

Submitted: 2011-09-26 | ID: 49121

Mitch Jon, England

Vauxhall Astravan Se 186bhp 2011

Had my van re-mapped to 180 bhp and it now goes like the clappers. It is a bit loud inside, but has a nice interior with DVD and sat nav included. It’s done 14000 miles, driven hard no faults!! You don’t buy the 1.9 16v to save fuel matey! It handles well with sport button on and is a good all rounder!

Submitted: 2011-08-11 | ID: 49120

Ray Lucking, Berkshire

Vauxhall Astravan sportive se 2010

I am very pleased with the van, it does everything it says on the tin!!

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 49107

Ross Davie, Fife and Kinross Shires

Vauxhall Astravan sportive se 2008

I’ve had my 150bhp sportive se van for 8 months now and had a few problems. Firstly it needed a new gearbox at 35000miles!!! Luckily just covered by warranty (only had 8weeks left). It has recently gone through its second egr valve, I wonder what will be next?

Submitted: 2011-05-16 | ID: 49108

Simon Templeman, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Astravan sportive se 150 2008

Just thought everyone out there would like to know my Astra Sportive 150 se van has been a bit of a pain for the last 30 months: 3 x EGR valves, 1 x condenser unit, several electrical problems all on a van that’s only done 65.000 miles, yes really 65.000 miles. Yes I am lost for words as well. But on the up side it’s very comfy and quick. The moral of this story is I won’t be buying another Vauxhall van again whilst I’ve got a hole in my wallet!

What were your electrical symptoms? - Dave Askin from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 49109

Jack Sheppard, Kent

Vauxhall Astravan 1.4 LPG 2006

I have a 56Reg 1.4 LPG model. It has been a big disappointment. I have done just over 90000 miles in it and I can’t see it doing many more without another major fault. I had not had the van for 3 months when one of the rockers in the engine snapped, I have never heard of that ever happening. Over the years, I have had several oil leakes due to broken sensors and seals. Clutch packed up around 60000 miles and gear box was just replaced at 87000 miles. I have always had traction problems, never mind what type or make of tyres. Vauxhall servicing is a joke, twice they were caught out by our local machanic. I asked them to check if the van had been serviced, a few days after taking it to Vauxhall, it had not. I personally own a Vauxhall and my wife has one too. They have both been great. What has gone wrong with my Van? Don’t think my boss will get me another Vauxhall after the trouble we have had.

Submitted: 2011-03-17 | ID: 49111

Seaune Hughes, Merthyr Tydfil

Vauxhall Astravan 1.3 2007

Vauxhaul Astravan 1.3 still in Southern Vauxhall after 5 weeks 50,000 on clock, ecu unit gone, turbo gone and it’s taken 5 weeks to repair. No discount on parts or labour. Well done Southern Vauxhall, Merthyr Tydfil, guess I’ll buy a Ford next time.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-05 | ID: 49106

Daniel Hurd, Norfolk

Vauxhall Astravan 1.9cdti 2007

Since I got my Vauxhall Astrvan 1.9cdti 2007 it has been a pain in the back side. All vauxhall do is replace parts and charge you loads of money. I have had a new EGR valve fitted, 4 new glow plugs, a new radiator which had bolts missing so that was rubbing and a radio which still has a fault on it which Vauxhall say they will not replace. I had a old Vauxhall Astravan and that was a very good motor. Vauxhall just take your money and then they don’t give a s**t about you. I still have this motor, I hope one day I can get it right again.

Submitted: 2011-01-04 | ID: 49105

David Salisbuy, Lancashire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7tdi 2006

Had the 1.7tdi for 4 years, drives like a dream I had an Escort before the Astra (load of c**p). This is the best van I have ever had. It’s a bit smaller than the Ford, I have to lay the cement mixer on its side to get it in the van, but that’s the only down side. I had to fit a new alternator, but that’s all.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-11-28 | ID: 49104

Nick Headland, Warwickshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7dti 2000

3000000 Miles on the clock, still drives well, getting 90 miles on a tenner, no rust and pulls well, big thumbs up Vauxhall.

Submitted: 2010-11-09 | ID: 49103

Wayne Spendiff, England

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7cdti 2007

I have just sold my 2003 Astravan 1.7dti 165000 miles was still running well and was getting around 550 miles+ to the tank, good old isuzu engine. I decided to upgrade to a 2007 1.7cdti model which had 63000 miles on the clock. I agree with all that have commented on the road noise but I think British road quality has a lot to do with that. The fuel consumption is not quite as good as the dti but I think the cdti engine is much more responsive, over all still a nice van. One thing I would say is keep your ears open for a whine from the gearbox especially in 6th gear, the bearings are a weak point; just had mine stripped and had the bearings done £800 ouch, but a bigger ouch if you ignore it. I have heard of a couple of exploding gearboxes! New gearbox from vauxhall is £1700 +vat and that’s not fitted.

I have just read Wayne’s report and I have had a similar problem. My 2008 58 plate sportiffe started to whine in 6th gear, the following day the gearbox exploded leaving me with 1st and 3rd only, 87,500 miles and a new gearbox costing £1,700 with no help from Vauxhall who say there is no reported problems - Eric Pritchard from Staffordshire

I have a 1.7cdti sportive van and the gearbox went at 89,000 mile. I got a reconditioned part put in at one of a chain of garages and that lasted a couple of weeks then replaced and now on 119,000. The gearbox would never put me off an Astra van though. I am just about to order a SE 150 as a hard earned and well considered treat - from Lancashire

I have a 56 plate 1.7 6 speed and my gearbox threw the towel in at 69k. I took gear cogs out of another damaged box and made one from two. The first signs of this is the gear stick will have movement when you let the clutch up. It’s a bearing, catch it at this point and it’s much less painful on the wallet - Wayne Stride from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-05-30 | ID: 49095

Johnny Edwards, England

Vauxhall Astravan sportive se 201bhp 2008

Had van chipped from new 201bhp on rolling road, great van, bit heavy on fuel but thats the trade off. Nothing looks better on the market, the extras are a bit pricey but I love it to bits; top end is mental!!!

Submitted: 2010-05-12 | ID: 49094

Lewis Entwistle, Oxfordshire

Vauxhall Astravan 2008

I drive 25-30k a year. The company fleet is Astras, but I also often get hire vehicles, so I try pretty well everything on the market. Like a previous respondant, I am taller than most, and seating is pretty poor for more than a couple of hours. The long load-space makes getting at things a chore. The cab also is cramped, with small door bins etc. I tend to be away on site all week, and need room for odds and ends. On a motorway, yes it’s OK, but the high overall length is a pain to drive and park in London. Has it’s good points, but I’m not a person who goes for a van on it’s looks. The comfort and practicality is a let-down compared to say a Berlingo or Transit Connect.

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 49102

Paul Jackson, England

Vauxhall Astravan Sportive 1.9SE 2009

This only looks like a van. It’s really a sports car, fast and agile with no down sides for me, just great fun and FAST.

Submitted: 2009-11-18 | ID: 49101

Paul Hill, Staffordshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 cdti Sportive 2009

This is my eighth Astravan since starting with an Astra max in the 90s. I have to admit the one problem I have with this latest shape (this is my second) is the noise from the tyres, it’s very noisy but after I have been to the tuners and remaped the ECU I soon forget about it. The van with a remap is fantastic; MPG is better, 5th & 6th pick up is so much better. The one other thing with the Astravan is the reliabilty - I have never had a fault or problem with any of them.

Hi, what’s the name of the garage you went to for a remap? Cheers - Dean Rayden from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-09-28 | ID: 49099

Robert Whitmey, Sussex

Vauxhall Astravan 1.9 2008

I really wanted to like this van as I currently drive a 2005 Astravan 1.7 CDT and I badly need to replace this soon. My mate has just bought a 1.9 Sportive so I had a chance to try before I buy. For a van it has a very luxurious cab with all the toys. Quite quiet around town but it became very boomy on the motorway, more so than my existing model (which has much thinner tyres). But what else can you expect - the 1.9 has large tires and they have a big unsound-proofed box to resonate in ( laws of physics innit). It was a lot more bearable laden. It handles really well and had plenty of power but I came away wondering do I really want out of a van. If I need a sports car I will buy a sports car. If I need a small van the 1.3 CDT might be a more sensible bet as it has 20% better fuel efficiency, it is still powerful enough to carry a full payload - you can drop a gear on the steeper hills if it’s struggling (that’s what gears are for I thought) and it’s probably quieter too.

Very useful comments - thanks. 1.3 CDT for me - James Laver from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 49134

Nick A, Derbyshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.9CDti Sportive Automatic 2007

Why don’t Vauxhall ever quote the mpg for the Astravan? Maybe here’s why... With tyres pumped up to the 40psi max and cruising at 65 to 70mph I’m getting up to 51mpg. But the road noise is unbearable and it’s not at all comfortable (ear plugs required). Drop the tyre pressure back to 35psi and the road noise becomes (just about) liveable with again, but the mpg drops to 40 - 44mpg (my wife’s 2.0litre turbo Saab 93 can manage 40mpg). A bit disappointing as I’d hoped for the 50 to 60mpg that you can get out of the VW 1.9 turbo diesels. However, build quality is good, handling is exemplary, it’s totally reliable... and no-one else makes an estate-car based van.

That’s because no one else makes an estate car-based van. The Astravan is the only one - Chuck Chapman from England

Hi Nick, I have just taken delivery of my new sportive se and yes very noisy!!! I have just had a acoustic bulkhead fitted and had soundproofing put under the floor and pannels made to cover the two holes behind the seats. Perfect it is as quiet as a car. Regards, - Ray Lucking from Berkshire

Does anyone know where to get Ray’s acoustic bulkhead from? - Chris Woollatt from England

Nick, can I ask how many miles you are getting to a full tank of fuel? I own an Astra 1.9cdti Sportive auto and the mpg is scary. I’m working it out at around 30mpg urban. I’m never getting more than 300 miles to a full tank. I’m doing everything to try and keep the mpg down. Any advice would be great. Ta - Phill Walker from England

I have had my 1.9 Auto Astravan for two and a half years and have managed 42-45 mpg always on 60% motorway use at around 70mph. I cannot complain about this - Mark Tucker from England

I have a 1.4 petrol model and I do 300 miles on a full tank. I can get a bit more when on LPG, but still heavy on the juice - Jack Sheppard from Kent

I have an Astra Van 1.9 CDTI 2007 and if I keep it at a steady 60mph and dont rag the buggery out of it on a daily basis it will do over 700 miles to a tank EVERY time! - from Hampshire

I have an Astra Van 1.9 CDTI 2007 and if I keep it at a steady 60mph and don`t rag it on a daily basis it will do over 700 miles to a tank EVERY time! - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-06-02 | ID: 49136

Jeff Harbach, Worcestershire

Vauxhall Astravan sportive auto 2008

I have had 3 model Astra Vans in the past so l think l know a little more than some! The road test doesn’t mention the the amout of outside noise from this model, if you have a passenger and are traveling on the open road, limit the conversation because you will have difficulty in hearing each other, much more noisier that the previous model...Jeff

Submitted: 2009-04-09 | ID: 49133

Max M, Worcestershire

Vauxhall Astravan Sportive 2007

Uncomfortable as hell - can’t move the seat back enough. I’ve had to remove black divider and still can’t stretch my legs and I am 1.85m tall. Unless you have really short legs your hips and knees are going to be in constant pain. Fuel economy is quite poor from a 1.7 - had it as low as 37 mpg, got 48 mpg last summer but that only happened once. Very very noisy in the cabin from all directions. Also there is no arm rest which is a huge disappointment. I drive quite a lot (35 -40k a year) and an armrest is a must. The sports bucket seats are way way to narrow I am a skinny guy but my arse physically cant fit in the seat because it’s too narrow. What’s wrong with the normal seats - it’s not like 1.7 diesel going to shake you out from it. On the positive side it handles well. PS, I miss my Mondeo with the normal seats and armrest.

Maybe you should get a 3 WHEELER!!! - BIG X tight from England

Submitted: 2008-12-15 | ID: 49127

Phil Rudden, Lanarkshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7cdti 2007

I bought this van brand new. It was the size I wanted and it looked a smart van. The cabin itself is not any different from the Astra car and is smart. The ceiling itself is different and has a cheap cardboard feel about it. It is a Sportive model so the air con, heated/electric mirrors etc are handy to have and it’s a nice interior. It is only a year old and has done 14,000 miles. On the road it isn’t that great on fuel. This 1.7 engine isn’t any better than the 1.9 regarding fuel consumption and I only get around 44mpg. The handling is great and I have no complaints there. The engine is not underpowered but there is hardly any response in 5th and 6th gear. The engine is rather noisy at low speeds but becomes a muted hum once you get above 70mph and is hardly heard on motorways. Sadly when you up the pace and engine becomes quieter road noise becomes a BIG issue. Regardless of what speed and road you are on the tyre noise from the rear becomes far too noisy and becomes a major pain when you get faster. This makes the cabin an extremely noisy place and even with the radio up loud it does not shut the noise away. Even with a bulkhead and ply lining the noise is still there. Wind noise and exterior noises coming through the back are a pain. For me a van that handles the road well and has the best interior of any van. But the road noise let’s it down big time and really the headache pills and earplugs are needed. I won’t buy another one as i don’t think it’s worth the money.

Submitted: 2008-12-10 | ID: 49126

Nicholas Golland, Lincolnshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 Diesel 2007

Compared to my last 6 year old 1.7 diesel which covered 120000 enjoyable trouble free miles, never returning less than 55 mpg, my one year old replacement has been a big disappointment. It drives ok but is let down by a crude common rail engine which is noisy and uneconomical. I have yet to exceed 47 mpg which is no where near quoted figures. I believe the last engine was an isitzu unit - why did they change? I have had little joy with my dealer or with Vauxhall. Long journeys are tiresome with the radio full blast - what a shame as the Astra is the only estate based van available.

Submitted: 2008-12-09 | ID: 49125

Geoff Kirkman, Rutland

Vauxhall Astravan 1.3 CDTi 2007

Nothing better on the market in my opinion. Perfect little van that makes use of all its available space and drives like a car. Comfortable and very smart looking. Excellent price and cheap to run. Top marks.

I’m thinking of geting an Astra van 57reg 1.3dirv, are they reliable? - Craig Hardacre from Cheshire

Submitted: 2007-11-21 | ID: 49131

Peter Jones, Cheshire

Vauxhall Astravan 1.7 Diesel 2007

I’ve used Astravans as every day workhorses for the last 11 years. These are fabulous, reliable spacious vans that drive like the car equivalent. No wonder that these are one of the most popular vans on the road in the UK.

1.7 CDTI Sportive - Not sure what your guy’s are doing with your MPG but I get 600 miles to a tank (55mpg) going steady on a long run, 550 miles on average (50mpg) bit of town driving involved and at least 500 miles to a tank no matter what I do (45mpg). Know what you mean about road noise, but a bit of dynomat £55 round your wheel arches soon sorts that out. Cabin is defo not built for people with long legs, could do with a little more room on long journey’s Apart from that 1.7 cdti is still pokey plenty of power when you get the turbo roaring, it does bottom out over 100mph, but so do most diesels. plus it looks prety smart for a van and isn’t as big as a transporter!!! - Dan Parker from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2007-11-20 | ID: 49129

• A response has been made to Nick A (12/11/2014 21:40:33)
  • A response has been made to Johner Roy (28/01/2013 21:54:15)

• " Hi I have a Vauxhall sportive van 2004 diesel and I want to change the seats as mine seem very low and sunken does anyone know what seats will fit..." (george, 27/11/2014 20:48:41)
  • "van judders when starting off from standing start had all engine mounts replaced but no better thank you..." (paul leahair, 21/11/2014 23:04:51)
  • "I own a 07 ASTRAVAN 13 cdti recently changing factory stereo, I tapped into heater switch for switch live, now when I turn my lights on there's a nas..." (S berry, 01/11/2014 20:27:19)
  • "When warmed up, normally after 15-20 miles sometimes the engine stutters misses for a few seconds, the engine managment light comes on and stays on a..." (Rich, 07/10/2014 11:42:03)
  • "Hi my v astra sportive sometimes I get a loud bleeping noise and then on the didital radio display a word called external in appeers at the same tim..." (jayne winslow, 23/09/2014 18:43:35)

• Ben's question has been answered: "Hi Ben,the best way to check the fan is to disconnect the electrics to the fan and make up pair of jump leads using alligator clips,clip the leads to - george from Essex' '..." (27/11/2014 20:36:41)
  • paul leahair's question has been answered: "Hi It sounds like you're clutch may be the problem, try putting it in 4gear and pull away ,if it doesn't stall the clutch may need adjusting or repl - george from Essex' '..." (27/11/2014 20:21:05)

Vauxhall Astravan

1.9CDTi 16v Sportive SE - If you’re looking for a sporty mid sized car derived van you may just have found what you’re looking for. It’s the Vauxhall Astravan 1.9CDTi 16v in Sportive SE trim. The car derived Astravan is based on the same platform as the estate car but comes with a bespoke bodyshell.

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report