Toyota Picnic consumer car reviews and road tests

Toyota Picnic

Toyota Picnic consumer reviews by year of make:1997 1998 1999 2000 2002 2005 2007

Toyota Picnic consumer car reviews

Peter O Connor, Sussex

Toyota Picnic Auto 1997

Excellent workhorse! Current problem is that we have water in front passenger footwell with no sign of the source of the leak... no leaks in door or windows seals, no drips from under dashboard, no water in other footwells. Any ideas?

Almost certainly its the door rubbers. Most have the expectation that they last forever, but its not true. Place a thick piece of paper in the bottom front of the door then close it. If you can easily pull the paper out, then the rain can get in. - Brian Bridle from Suffolk

Submitted: 2014-01-02 | ID: 48264

Williem Sully, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Toyota Picnic 2000 cc petrol 2002

I have had my Picnic 5 years; it’s a 2000 cc petrol with 183000 on the clock. I’ve never had any problems and it still runs well.

Submitted: 2013-03-01 | ID: 48260

Ryan Marjoram, Norfolk

Toyota Picnic 2.2 td gs 1999

Our 1999 T reg 2.2 td gs is now on 194,000 miles. It is still running ok, doors creak a bit now, but it is nearly 14 years old and they get a bit of use! No major problems so far, very reliable car over 8 1/2 years of use. Still averages about 43 mpg. Recommended if you want a cheap people carrier.

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 48261

A Simha, England

Toyota Picnic 1998

I bought this car nearly 7 years ago. It is so good, it has never let me down. I have done many long trips to visit family and it has never let me down. It has carried many heavy items including heavy building material, but it is so strong. It has never given any trouble I love it and even though it is an old car it is so reliable. Toyota is the best!

Submitted: 2012-06-13 | ID: 48263

Aysha Khan, England

Toyota Picnic 1997

An excellent family car that is good on fuel consumption and has never let me down i over 171K miles. A reliable that that has not given me many problems for the past two years and has just been serviced.

Submitted: 2012-05-24 | ID: 48262

Ryan Marjoram, Norfolk

Toyota Picnic 2.2 td gs 1999

I bought this car in 2004 and it’s still running ok on 178,000 miles. Not much goes wrong with these cars, they’re very reliable and mine achieves as overall average MPG of 43. These are great cars for no fuss motoring. Toyotas are brilliant!

Submitted: 2011-11-30 | ID: 48259

Stephen, Wiltshire

Toyota Picnic 1998

We bought our 2-litre automatic 7-seater Picnic new in 1998. As we wanted 6-7 seats and Japanese reliability the choice of vehicle was limited, but we have never had a moment’s regret. The seating may not be as flexible as some newer cars, but the two rearmost are at least proper seats, and when they are removed they leave a vast space. Pity the middle bench can’t be removed or folded flat, but you can’t have everything. Performance is adequate, the 3+1 speed auto box being high-geared and relaxing, but allowing good acceleration when you floor it. Petrol consumption is so-so, as you would expect from a 2-litre auto of this vintage. The car has now done 98,000 miles and has never let us down. It’s been regularly serviced at the recommended 9000 mile intervals, including a cambelt change every 5 years. The alarm became erratic a year or two ago, a fairly common problem I understand, so now I just use the key to operate the central locking. Apart from tyres, exhaust, battery and other consumables the only replacement part has been a set of HT leads last year to fix an intermittent misfire.

Submitted: 2011-03-01 | ID: 48255

Andy Suttle, Durham

Toyota Picnic GS 2.0 Petrol Manual 1998

What a fantastic and economical MPV! I bought one despite never ever hearing of this model before, as it had 6 seats (although I really needed 7) and it’s made a great family runner around. When i got it the original exhaust was blowing, so I replaced it from the catalytic converter back, mid section and rear for £42 plus £12 postage from Germany, and saved a packet compared to UK exhaust prices of over £120. It had been struggling to tick over, idling at just 500 revs, but once I fitted the new exhaust it happily idles at 1000 revs. Gave an oil change, new air filter, oil filter, spark plugs, and (fuel filter if I ever find out where the fuel filter is hiding in order to fit the new one!) and it runs a treat. Currently at 149k miles and for a petrol it’s not showing any fatigue at that mileage. I love it. I just hope that I can find a 7 seater GLS model in the scrapyard so I can swap my middle two seats for the larger ’bench’ style seats to suit 3 people, that way I have the extra seat I needed from the start! Although only 6 seats and not 7, I found that 3 children could sit comfortably on the back seat and installed a lap-belt so we manage. A great motor, but sadly not as well known as it should be.

Fuel Filter you Say? Well it’s behind the Air filter casing up against the back of the engine bay... but a true nightmare to change... had to take lots of bits off to find and replace myself! But I agree, the best car I’ve ever owned! Not pretty but a great workhorse and 100% reliable... got my values worth out of it - hope that helps - D B from England

Hi there, were you ever able to convert your six seater Toyota Picnic to a seven seater? Can the two middle seats be changed to a three seating row? - Nicola McGinn from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-11-22 | ID: 48256

David Britton, Worcestershire

Toyota Picnic 2005

I purchased my second hand Picnic, without ever having heard of it previously, on the advice of the salesman. How glad I am. It’s comfortable easy to drive(automatic). So far it has given no trouble at all so it’s cheap to run. It’s the six seater but I use it with the two back seats removed, which affords plenty of boot space, but when I have extra passengers it’s easy to re-install them. At my age I doubt I’ll need another car but if I did I’d buy a new Picnic. Pity they don’t make them! They are ideal for every sort of journey and living in the country they allow you to see over the hedges. In town they’re good for the all round vision and easy to park. Funny thing; you don’t see many around.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-01-28 | ID: 48251

Ian Douglas, England

Toyota Picnic GLS Diesel 2.2 turbo 1998

It’s a bit chuggy but you get used to it, the driver’s seat is not that comfy, however, it’s done 125K miles so can’t really complain. No major problems, alarm started coming on unexplained so I just lock it with the key now. Can be difficult to get into 2nd gear on changing down even with Slick50 in gearbox and linkages lubed but I’ve got used to it, this is due to a slightly bent selector arm I am told. Seat belts got tired and don’t wind back automatically as well as they did. Bodywork a bit on the thin side but plastic clad bottom half a good idea. Still running on the original exhaust. Regularly seviced at 9K miles with intermediate oil changes (being a diesel). Remarkably good on rattles, shows trim is a good fit/well secured although a bit dull and plastic dominated inside. Standardised air conditioning abs and adjustable mirrors a big plus.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 48252

Richard Hopkins, Durham

Toyota Picnic Manual G.L.S. 1999

I bought the car at 3 years old after 1 previous owner. I have 5 young children all of whome would get car sick in a very short time in normal low ceiling cars. This is not a problem with the model I have, as the moon roof and the sun roof and the extra head clearance makes for a very relaxed journey for them. All of my friend’s have made good comments about the spacious interior compared to their own cars. The only draw back that I have experienced is having to remove the rear seats, so as not to damage the seat fabric. This is not difficult, but to find a place to store the seats is problamatic! The fuel economy is great and actually rivals a diesel engine at a lower CC on long distances, but be aware that driving around the doors with a 2 litre engine is un-economical! The other problem is that there is no manual that I can find to be able to repair the car myself, and this is costly. It is wise though to change the engine oil and the filter on a regular basis. This is not a difficult job and does not have to be done by an experienced mechanic. The air filter is the same. Remember, tyre presures are extremly important if you are using the car for a long distances,as this greatly improves the mpg of the car.

Entirely Agree with your comments but would be grateful if you could tell me the location of the oil filter as soon as possible - Francis Moore from England

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 48253

D, Wiltshire

Toyota Picnic 2.0 petrol 1997

Yep, got to agree. I bought a used one, having previously owned an expensive VW Sharan (Galaxy). The Sharan was great to drive but incredibly unreliable. It cost me nearly £20,000 in servicing/repair bills during its lifetime. And the fuel consumption was dismal. I got the Picnic in the hope that it would provide similar practicality on a budget and it hasn’t disappointed. The 6 seat layout is great and unique in an MPV of its size. It is so much more convenient to let kids climb in and walk to the rear seats through the gap in the centre row, rather than having to tip the centre seats forward all the time. It has been utterly reliable and very economical. Only problem is the engine is worn out at 140,000 miles (lots of small trips). I can’t find any modern MPV to replace it. Even the Avensis Verso doesn’t live up to it. So I’ve bought a low mileage engine which I’ll install when the existing one expires.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 48268

Martin Morey, Northumberland

Toyota Picnic gls 2000

I completely agree. I’ve had two, one from 1993 to 1995 (R Reg) when it got carried away in the same floods that did for Carlisle, so I got another! V reg. Its remarkably good to drive, smooth and comfortable, very reliable, and no rattles or clanks even at 90k miles, and virtually no rust at 10 years. The room in the 6 seater is ideal for transporting teenagers and twenty-somethings - no fights over seats. Dad’s taxi...

Submitted: 2009-04-02 | ID: 48267

DB, Wiltshire

Toyota Picnic glx auto 1997

I agree, I have lots of cars but this one is really good for families. Reliable, fuel consumption is OK but going to be green dreamers car. Lots of space inside, comfortable and easy to drive. OK, it is not a stylish motor but hey, its a good work-horse and will be a faithful servant. Auto box is easy to use on stick/column gear change. I have seen motors with over 200,000 miles and still going strong. I’d buy one of these again before buying another people carrier. Its a no frills reliable motor.

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 48266

Darren Shepherd, Lancashire

Toyota Picnic 2.0 GLS 5dr 2007

I’ve been driving my Y reg Picnic for just under 2 years now and I can honestly say it’s one of the best cars I’ve driven. I bought it out of necessity when our 4th child came along as we needed more space but I’ve actually really enjoyed driving it. Bags of space (of course) and the fuel consumption isn’t too bad for a car of it’s size. A real gem.

Submitted: 2007-10-27 | ID: 48265

• A response has been made to Peter O Connor (24/06/2014 11:56:07)
  • A response has been made to Andy Suttle (22/11/2010 21:48:17)

• "I just bought a petrol 2003 Picnic, I keep reading on internet that the 3rd row removes. I have no manual so just wondering how can I remove the s..." (Celine Hoey, 25/04/2014 22:49:09)
  • "My Picnic gearbox (manual) is very hard to change gear, usually from cold. are my selectors sticking? how and where do i check the oil level and will..." (A. Skingsley, 20/04/2014 08:48:20)
  • "On warm dry days the gears on my Toyota Picnic change relatively smoothly, but on cool, damp days it is taking 10-15 minutes before changing into the..." (Jud Beighton, 31/03/2014 16:06:53)
  • "My Toyota Picnic developed vibration in drive train. No obvious play in drive start. Vibration is worse under power, but mostly disappears with the c..." (Colin Shewry, 17/03/2014 12:24:02)
  • "The power in my Toyota Picnic has gone from the radio, clock and lighter at the same time. Logic says that it is a fuse problem. However, none of the..." (Rob Mechanic, 17/12/2013 14:23:18)

• Celine Hoey's question has been answered: "At the side of the seats in the middle row there are a handle you have to clamp (pull upwards) to get the seats to fold. To remove the back seats - Einar B. Gilberg from Norway' '..." (12/06/2014 11:31:45)
  • John Yates's question has been answered: "I have exactly the same fault. Did you ever find the answer? Thanks - Philip Lelliott from Warwickshire' '..." (08/04/2013 14:58:11)

Renault Scenic