Toyota Hiace consumer car reviews and road tests

Toyota Hiace

Toyota Hiace consumer reviews by year of make:1953 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1993 1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Toyota Hiace consumer car reviews

dave, Derbyshire

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

I bought my van from a dealership and have owned it over 5 years. I have covered over 150k. Still on the original clutch at 202k. It has never broken down jap solid build at its finest.

Submitted: 2014-10-06 | ID: 104168

Bjorn, Netherlands

Toyota Hiace 1983 - 2006

I now own a Hiace 2.4D Van. Before me it was bought new by my Grandfather. It now has 162.218km on it in 18 years. My Grandfather always thrashed it maximum powerr all the time. The beautiful 2.4D engine loves to be thrashed. Now with 162.218 km on it it realy starts to work! Never anything wrong with it. It has been in my life for 18 years... well to me there is nothing better. I love the Hiace, I even call her my Green Queen. I will keep it as long as I can. I don`t want any modern rattlebox. 1. It fires up when you look at it (any type of weather) 2. Good fuel usage (1L for 14km *Diesel* 3. No oil usage 4. Maximum speed 145km.h 5. No problems with a hill. I have driven Merc/Ford/Renault/Iveco Vans, they all fail. Toyota Hiace 2.4D. It's Simply THE BEST!

Never get tired of reading these reviews, I ran a 2.4 diesel Hiace compact for seven years it was a superb van. And you are correct they are the best van on the road, I now have run a 2.5 diesel D4D Hiace for nearly seven years and will only replace it with another Toyota. - Chris Holt from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2014-08-22 | ID: 101910

Tony, Bristol

Toyota Hiace 2006 - 2012

I have the hiace d4d 2007 120bhp model and I have a problem when you first start the van on a morning it starts and ticks over fine but as soon as you pull away the engine sounds as if its not getting oil very tappety tinny sort of sound this lasts for about 5 miles but there is no lack of power still pulls like a train. have put flushing oil through and new oil filter and oil put loads of bottles of injector cleaner in but still the same has anybody out there have any ideals that I could try. as far as im concerned these are the best vans on the road this is the third one ive owned and will deffinatly get another , many thanks Tony

Thought mine was a bit noisy/metallic sounding when I first got it, then I read on the web it was probably the type of injectors (solenoid) had it 6/7 years now and not a problem. also check the steering column gaiter as apparently if this is torn it lets a lot of engine noise into the cab. - Chris Holt from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2014-08-17 | ID: 101658

Griffyn, Australia

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

I bought a 2007 manual Hi Ace for my mobile bicycle repair business back in 2009. I had it for 5 years, it had 36k on the clock & never let me down once. After 180,000 I stalled in reverse & recked the transmission, it also needed new tyres new shocks new brakes new coolant system new thermo & had a heap of body damage repaired, over $10,000 worth & was cheaper to trade up so...... .......I traded it in for the new model & will never buy another brand of van. These things a bullet proof, apprentice proof & dare I say it women proof. I can rate these things high enough they really are the best van on the market. Griffyn Branagh Director No Limit Cycle repairs

I'm a woman and I've been driving my Hiace for 7 years - I love it but it's 96 and the T belt light has just come on. The MOT test and tax are due and it probably will need 3 new tyres. I`m wondering if it's time to finally let it go. Your comments about it being women-proof is rubbish...get over yourself - Selina Harris from Ireland

Submitted: 2014-08-04 | ID: 100878

simon, Cornwall

Toyota Hiace 1983 - 2006

Had my 1996 hi ace for 7 yrs it only let me down once when the battery failed easy fix! it never failed an MOT and i didn't have to touch it, it never ever went wrong, i didn't even have to change exhaust/brake pads/shoes in 7yrs!!!!just servicing , without doubt the toughest most reliable vehicle i have ever owned, even ran sweet on neat cooking oil (when i could get it) alas its achilles heal was its thirst for juice and eventually i let it go for a fiat scudo which is superb on fuel but nowhere near as well built, if i could afford a much newer one i,d definitely have another.

Submitted: 2014-07-24 | ID: 100310

Tim Tickner, Middlesex

Toyota Hiace 2006 - 2012

Tim Tickner, from Edgware, Middlesex Had a hi ace compact van before, did over 150000 miles never any problems except spare wheel jamming up! Decided to buy d4d swb 2010 model last year, have done 53000 miles, in use everyday, had toyota service vehicle no problems only wiper blades & discs replaced, tough robust vehicle, I know it will never let me down, it's old fashioned compared to newer vans on market, noisy engine, but toyota's go on forever,! Unfortunately toyota have stopped making hi ace for uk market. When I come to replace I will look for something else, pro ace is not built by toyota just rebadged van from Renault & Citroen dispatch, reviews are not good. Wish toyota had produced new hi ace put 6 gears & upgraded engine new euro emissions would be far more popular than pro ace they our now offering, had mechanic at work tell me he use to work for toyota & had great respect for hi ace could not speak highly enough of them! A good reliable workhorse.

Submitted: 2014-07-19 | ID: 99997

Frobisher Mudenda, Zambia

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

My 1999 4WD Toyota Hiace Van had oil transmission leaks from the breather on two occasions after driving for about 10Km on each occassion. There were no noticeable changes in the transmission oil level when checked using the dip stick. Could there be a problem in the gear box?

Submitted: 2014-05-14 | ID: 95525

Keith MARSLAND , Hertfordshire

Toyota Hiace 1997 - 2006

Bought my 2002 88bhp gs 7 yrs ago at 104,000 miles. Not one breakdown, misfire or weird problems. Did start to lose water very slowly and when I had cambelt done at 138,000 miles, garage said water pump had very slight leak. New waterpump, diff and gearbox oil change. Had shock absorbers and twin batteries changet last year. Now 150,000 miles with new discs and pads and still on original clutch even though I commute to north London. So easy to drive and pull away. Does 30 mpg or 400 miles to tank in London or 40 mpg/500 miles to south of France. I would rather pay bit more on fuel than heaps of trouble of other makes.

Submitted: 2014-04-13 | ID: 94155

Malcolm Harlin, Kent

Toyota Hiace 2.5 280 D4D 2007

Bought my 2007 Toyota Hiace 2.5 280 D4D, 3 years ago with 28k miles on the clock, now coming up to 57k. Over the time I have had it, I have had 3 seats installed at the back, carpeted the rear of the van with 2 layers of ply on the floor and had windows fitted in both panels on both sides, have taken the carpeted ply panels out of the van as they made little difference to noise, and boxed in the rear wheel arches then filled with spray foam, and carpeted the ply as well. The van has been very reliable, preferred to convert the van, rather than change, as it’s so reliable. The wife likes it as well as she does not get travel sick with the seating being so high and having hard suspension. Only complaint is road noise and engine noise, it is noisy on motorways with tyre noise, and engine is noisy as well. About to have the panels carpeted, now the windows have been fitted, and will have the cab floor carpeted at the same time, does any-one know how I can cut down the engine noise on these vans, as it sounds like the old Transit diesel, especially when accelerating, and how can I cut down road noise, apart from the noise, it is a lovely van to drive, and so reliable, love the tailgate. Any answers please!

Check the steering column gator, they are prone to splitting then let the engine noise through I am about to replace mine for the same reason. - Mark Mancini from Norfolk

Hi Mark, Thanks for that information, very much appreciated, will get mine checked,- Malcolm - Malcolm Harlin from Kent

Submitted: 2014-04-02 | ID: 93548

Neil Powell, Cheshire

Toyota Hiace 2010

Had van now for over 3 years, had one major problem with corrosion on offside rear panel. With 3 small holes appeared where outer skin joins to inner framework. The whole side was replaced under warranty by Toyota. It was very inconvenient as they had to order the panel from Japan and it took ages to arrive. This said I was assured this was extremely unusual, must have just been unlucky and bought one with water ingress. Had van regularly serviced and the only other issue was the fuel filter, van started losing power and missing a beat especially over 50 mph. Hope not to have any more issues as I still like the van. Unfortunately they have stopped making the Hiace so have nothing to replace it. Wish you could get the Japanese version in this country, looks much more stylish and would sell well. Come on Toyota get your act together.

Submitted: 2014-01-24 | ID: 48156

Paul McCormick, England

Toyota Hiace 280 gs d4d 2000

Well I’m amazed at the Hiace. I got a W reg in blue for £500. It needed a bit of work like, but I’ve put a new wing/side door, some 20 inch rims, resprayed the front end, put 3 seats in the back, a roof rack on and it now looks mint, a bit like new shape Trany with a few mods. It has 230k miles on the clock and it’s still like brand new, I’d never go back to Transit. Don’t get me wrong they eat juice, but keep your diesel filters clean and put the diesel fuel saver magnets on your fuel lines and it’s not too bad on fuel. I’ve had mine remapped, so it’s always 4x4 slow up hills, but who cares? It’s going to get me there in the end and in our country you’re lucky to reach 50 mph without getting arrested or hitting traffic. I’ve made my money back 10 times over with this van and had less problems than any fleet vehicle I’ve ever had the privilege of driving. I highly recommended vehicle for a multitude of purposes. Enjoy and happy motoring.

Hi Paul, where do you get fuel saver magnets from and how do you fit them? Many thanks - Tim Tickner from Middlesex

Submitted: 2013-12-24 | ID: 48157

Trevor Hislop, Australia

Toyota Hiace LWB petrol 1996

Bought my 1996 petrol LWB camper with full service receipts and 220,000km. Had never had a breakdown but shocks were replaced for rough road use. Carby and head were damaged (caused by LPG issue) when I bought it. Got another 15,000km before fixing these - symptom was slight tendency to stall and slight loss of coolant - proved to have a cracked head but this never resulted in overheating - amazing. Not as comfortable as a previous VW, but overall the balance of comfort and reliability is OK - can’t be comfortable anyway if you are wondering if your VW will get you home! One irritation - a loudly clunking/rattling side door - hard to explore due to camper furniture blocking access - anyone know the solution?

Loose retainer in the top rail. Open the door and you’ll probably find you need to either A) Tighten retainer where bolted to door or B) adjust rail itself. Check lower rail while there and grease both. - Chas Jones from Cheshire

Submitted: 2013-11-18 | ID: 48154

Don Park, Norway

Toyota Hiace 2006

My 2006 Hiace has 157,000 kms on the clock, and is just magic. Bought as a run-around, it fits the bill perfectly. After getting badly burned with the Series 1 Freelander, we have had Toyotas ever since. Not only are they great vehicles, they are reliable, and the local Toyota garage is excellent. We won’t be going anywhere else!

Submitted: 2013-11-15 | ID: 48153

Ian, Cheshire

Toyota Hiace 2.5 d4d turbo 2003

Thought I’d throw in a 3 year update: 4 years and now 154000 miles and it’s just passed its MoT. Apart from servicing it has consumed a set of front disc pads in 4 years and 40000 miles and that’s it! Apart from diesel and servicing which I do, running the fuel tank full rather than empty helps the ride when not loaded. It gives an average of 40mpg and is a great van that still drives nice :)

Submitted: 2013-10-15 | ID: 48164

Caroline Franklin, Sussex

Toyota Hiace Power Van Diesel 2001

Bought this van with 62,000mls on the clock. Was alarmed when driving it home to see the fuel gauge getting lower and lower. Had Mitsubishi panel van before and that was really ecomomical. Don’t know why all vans don’t have the tail gate, less space needed to open the back and when it rains it also shelters you. Perfect size just what I wanted. Like the height as it means I can load and unload the van by myself as I can just slide out and grab from underneath with out having to bend. (I’m a petite lady) Has always started no problems except when glow plugs needed changing. Love this van but would like it better if the fuel consumption was better, though it has taught me to moderate my driving. I have been putting 48psi in the front tyres and 65 in the back, loaded and unloaded. Can anyone make any sugestions as to why it is so juicy? To answer a question earlier, yes, you can put 8x4 sheet in the back.

Submitted: 2013-09-30 | ID: 48162

Mike Fairman, England

Toyota Hiace 2008

Had my Toyota Hiace for one year now. Bit harder sprung than say VW Transporter, but use mine for private use, no weight in her. Had vans for 40 plus years now and would only buy Toyota , mpg 32 to 39 mpg that running her at between 65 and 75mph service kit if doing yourself is only 60 pounds that’s air filter, diesel filter, oil filter and engine oil plus diff and gearbox oils, 15000 mile last year and not missed a beat. So just the cost of the diesel and the 60 pounds service that was my running cost for the year not bad eh? Good steering lock, comfy, sit up high so good view the mileage on the van now is 63,000. Last one I had 17,800 mile and was still going strong when sold. Think this one might be staying around for a bit lol!

Submitted: 2013-09-23 | ID: 48163

Chris Peters, England

Toyota Hiace SWB Powervan 2001

We’ve only had our Powervan for about a year and it was bought cheapish, due to it’s high mileage (200,000miles!). We only intended to use it as a basic runabout and "camping vehicle", so the mileage didn’t really bother us. However, it has recently developed a whine/howl from the rear diff area. Our "tame mechanic" has taken a look and he’s of the opinion that it wouldn’t male economic sense to fix it(..not even if I sourced a second-hand diff!?). I’m a bit surprised at this, after hearing of all the high mileages talked about and the glowing reports these vehicles get (maybe "our" mechanic is just giving us the brush off?). Thoughts?

Hi there, I also own a year 2000 Hiace and got a winding noise from the diff, but it was sorted by buying a new rubber bushing for it. Try another mechanic! - Chris Monaghan from County Down

Hi. I bought my Hiace with a slight whine and took it to a mechanic - he said I needed a new diff! I was sure that it weren’t the diff and it turned out to be the drive shaft center bearing: Toyota £176 or eBay part £79. My diff mount rubber was also shot, £20 eBay. Pressed the old 1 out and pressed new 1 in; mechanic charged me £10. I changed the diff oil too with Castrol oil. Go to Castrol website put in your reg and it will tell you all the ratio oils for your van. I’m going to change gearbox oil just for peace of mind - from England

Submitted: 2013-09-11 | ID: 48159

Mark Brady, England

Toyota Hiace D4d 2002

Hello. I’ve had my Hiace since new 2002 and not had one problem in 60000 miles. I changed the original batteries last winter and changed bush at the prop. It’s had one new set of brake pads. It’s a very quick van and pulls like a train although a bit thirsty on diesel. I am looking for a change and considering a Peugeot Expert 2.0 diesel as it’s a lot better on juice. I would recommend the Hiace.

Submitted: 2013-08-11 | ID: 48158

Graham, Devon

Toyota Hiace 280 GS 2005

Always been a VW man and bought this Toyota van pre-registered with 25 miles on the clock in a moment of irrationality. 130,000 miles later I can only say that I wish all life’s irrational decisions had been this good. Chipped the fuel to get more drive-ability which means I can stay in higher gears on West Country hills, and also fitted a sound-proofing kit. Goes the length of the country on a tank full if you drive sensibly and about to the next village if you don’t. Only issue has been minor suspension repairs for most MOTs as there are a lot of poorly surfaced roads where I live. Was loaned a Vauxhall van with identical mileage recently and my Toyota drives like a new vehicle in comparison.

Submitted: 2013-07-14 | ID: 48149

John Carter, England

Toyota Hiace Powervan 2001

Had this van for 9 months with 79,000 on clock, genuine purchase from disabled person so its biggest load was previously a wheelchair. It’s carpeted throughout and has always been serviced. It’s slow, noisy has very laboured gears and has just broken down and won’t start. I’ve done some tests and think it’s major. Had a Nissan Urvan for 22 years and it never let me down, wish they still sold them.

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 48143

Pete Smith, England

Toyota Hiace D4d 2008

Hello! I’ve owned my van from new. I’ve covered 56000 miles and not had a problem apart from wear and tear. The original batterers were replaced last year, also a new bush on the prop-shaft, which stopped the banging when you put your foot down. They are a great van and mine has never missed a beat. I have been thinking of changing for a Vivaro, but I’ve been told to stick with it. The only thing I’ve found after sitting in a Vivaro or VW t5 is that they have better seat position than the Hiace.

I have a Hiace with 75,000 and no probs. It likes a fuel filter evere 10000 mls. Looking at Transit custom or Hyundi i load. VW are too much money, Merc poor and rust, vivaro has good warranty and road side recovery 4years; I am told I may need it, my mate has an 150bhp and it eats front tyres as it really wants to go even when you don’t, hence tyre wear. Custom mpg is way in front and at the end of three years 6000 saving against my Hiace. It’s a no brainer. All the best. - John Pirrie from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 48147

Alvin Abanzia, Philippines

Toyota Hiace 2008

5 star rating for super, excellent, hard-working ruggedness. I love the Toyota Hiace 5 ltr diesel engine.

Submitted: 2013-06-04 | ID: 48144

Tomaz, London

Toyota Hiace 2011

I am very surprised by reading all these fantastic reviews as my 2 year old Toyota Hiace has just broken down for the third time! There is major fuel injection problem, filter or pump, and after 2 years they found out that they need to modify this part. Plus points:- Price. Minus points:- Gear box is absolutely useles, these days all vans are fitted with 6 rather than 5, you will feel that especially on motorways. It’s a very stiff gear box that is often difficult to get into first gear or reverse, you may need to attempt this several times; diesel consumption, my previous VW transporter could make nearly 100 miles more on full tank; rear drive, this is again a very bad thing, try to go up a hill in winter and you will know what I mean; sound proofing of engine, the noise in this van is terrible especially on motorways, I can compare as previously I was driving a Transporter and Transit; 2.5 ltr engine and no dynamic movement at all. Overall there are more minuses than pluses. Compared to a VW Transporter this vehicle is absolutely rubbish and I would never recommend it to anyone. I do not know what made me change to it. Perhaps money as I paid £17,800 for this wreck? Major problem with fuel injection made a massive influence of my opinion, but it’s all these "little" things above that are making Toyata the poorest van on market for me and I cannot wait till the finance finishes and I am able to sell this wreck to somebody else.

Hey fella you’ve been unlucky. I had a Hiace for 13 years, did 290k, replaced clutch at 150k, 1 exhaust, tyres, brake discs, pads. Best van I ever had. Better than T4 that snapped a camshaft after 43k! - Colin Elburton from England

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 48145

Trevor Whelan, Ireland

Toyota Hiace 2000

Bought this van 3 years ago with 197,000 on the clock and the van is still flying. Never any trouble and always starts in any weather even in the minus degrees. A little heavy on diesel, but that’s only a small price to pay for a bullet proof van.

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 48152

Patrick, New Zealand

Toyota Hiace Len 1995

I have 5 Hiaces at the moment, all forward control Japanese versions. The oldest is a 4x4 1990 and the newest is 2009. All are diesels and all have high mileage, the lowest being the oldest with 220,000km and the highest with 787,000 km. They have had no engine or transmission work except for cam belts and a water pump at 600,000km. The oldest has had a very hard life, but is always serviced and starts and runs as it did when new. I don’t buy anything but Toyotas! I do wonder how long the d4d engines will go for with their injector issues? I have just bought 2 new Hilux’s and they seem to like fleecing me at the Toyota dealer with servicing! You can’t beat the old L series 2.4 and 2.8 non turbo engines, they just won’t die.

Submitted: 2013-05-12 | ID: 48151

Ian Kirk, Dorset

Toyota Hiace SWB 2.4 petrol 1996

I have owned my Hiace for over ten years and it has been exemplary for reliability - apart from a fondness for batteries (every two years) and lots of rear light bulbs. The front suspension has creaked loudly on full lock ever since I had it. It also needs driving with care in the wet if you don’t want the back end to step out. This petrol version is rare but fuel consumption has been about 28mpg over the years so not too bad - its also a lively van and surprisingly quick. However its wonderful run of reliability came to a sudden shuddering stop last week when the prop shaft broke. I was driving at about 30mph when it snapped, dug into the road, lifted the rear wheels off the road and spun the van around in a spectacular and scary fashion. Fortunately the road was empty of other vehicles. The breakdown driver was amazed. he said he never gets to pick up Hiaces as they are so reliable and he has never seen a snapped main propshaft before. So now it has gone to the scrapyard and been replaced by a Nissan Primastar.

Submitted: 2013-04-25 | ID: 48150

Adrian Calder, Australia

Toyota Hiace 2006

I manage a small air conditioning company (contemporary air conditioning) and service all of Queensland. I purchased 5 Hiace vans with delivery 2006 and I have had all the servicing done. I found that after about 150,000 kms the water pump seals started to leak just a little bit, so I replaced all the water pumps with new seals and they have done over 200,000 kms. The roads we travel on are less than comfortable between Toowoomba-moura-Rockhampton-Biloela-Nebo-Collinsville, actually some are so bad, 80 kms long goat track between Nebo and Collinsville, you wonder if you’re going to make it! However, not a problem (with the exception of a skipping CD as my head hits the roof and my tools play musical chairs) lol. The point is BUY A TOYOTA! They are fantastic vehicles!

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 48132

Fred Phillips, England

Toyota Hiace swb 2008

Mine is 5 years old. I’ve had to buy tyres and pay for a service. It’s slow, old looking, with limited seat adjustment, poor side mirror vision and all that said - I absolutly love it! 40mpg max down to 20mpg if fully loaded and on the motorway. I’ve not even had a so much as a bulb fail. Going to keep mine forever.

Submitted: 2013-03-08 | ID: 48131

Phil, England

Toyota Hiace 2005

Bought our 05 plate Hi Ace after reading the reviews on this site. Brilliant van, tough as old boots. It has just turned 100k and still feels like a new van to drive. Failed its MOT on a blown number plate bulb! Don’t bother looking at anything else if you want 100% reliability.

Submitted: 2013-03-02 | ID: 48130

Bill Kiely, Derbyshire

Toyota Hiace 2008

I’m in the roofing business, so I need a van that is tough. They do not come tougher than this. I had Transits for many years which were ok, when a friend said to look at the Hiace when it was time to change. I could not believe how brilliant it was and did 13000 miles in it before selling it to another friend in demolition who still runs it now (six years later)all over the country; he tells me his men always argue over who gets the Hiace rather than his other vans, which are newer. I bought a Vauxall inbetween because I liked the look of them and the engine blew up at 27000m and cost £2,000 to put right. I sold it the day after I got it back and bought my latest Hiace, which is just fantastic. I’ve had it five years now and would not swap it for any of the new fancy vans. A proper work horse!

Submitted: 2013-02-26 | ID: 48129

Shaun Spindley, Lincolnshire

Toyota Hiace LWB 2005

I have had my lwb 18 months now. The MoT found a break pipe and handbrake needed freeing off. I also had a Zafira for the same time, 18 months, which I was running for leisure use, but this cost me £3000 in repairs over this period. I have just sold it and kept the old basic van over this because of the running costs. I think my van is totally brilliant.

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 48134

Rob Edwards, Hampshire

Toyota Hiace 280 GS 2004

Have had a fleet of six of theses for getting on 10 years. We tried most other brands, Ford, Renault, VW, Vauxhall, Citreon, but nothing comes close to the Toyotas. Vehicles achive 250K+ miles with no problems and are always loaded, I Won’t buy anything else now! My own personal vehicle was a Toyota Land cruiser and at 18 years old had still not one major component replacement. It never broke down. I replaced it with a new Discovery 3 commercial 4 years ago. It’s now at 28K miles and is having to have a £2.7K turbo replacement! I wish I’d kept my Toyota!

Submitted: 2012-12-02 | ID: 48133

Trevor Brandon, London

Toyota Hiace Gs LWB 1998

Purchased my van about 10 years ago. Quite simply the best vehicle I have owned. Only problem being faulty rear internal light bulb (90p) Halfords. 100% reliable now done 122,000 miles. Not the fastest or the biggest, but most certainly the best. Just buy!

Will Trevor get this review? If so which engine is in your van? I am looking at a 2.7 petrol engined 2000 vehicle and cannot find info about mpg. Any guidance gratefully received - Adrian Fielding from Cornwall

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 48136

Jim Watson, Clackmannanshire

Toyota Hiace 2.4D 2000

I had a few Mitsubishi l300 vans which were great, but you will not get a better van than a Toyota Hiace Powervan. Mine is a non-turbo 2.4 D so it’s not the fastest thing on the road but reliability is A1. I sometimes wonder why people even bother with Ford Transits, Renaults etc?

Submitted: 2012-10-07 | ID: 48135

Anthony White, Oxfordshire

Toyota Hiace LWB 2003

I’ve had Hiaces for 10 years. I started off with the 2.4 D then got a 2.4 D4D 2003. I’ve just covered 127K and only had a few problems, mostly due to the fact that it works hard and always weighs in at two tonnes, some times over three. It does not like snow or wet grass on standard tyres, but I have now got winter tyres and it goes anywhere. I’d just got them when we had that hard winter about 2 years ago; I was working in the Cotswolds on unclassified roads and we just drove up them as you would in the summer. We even stopped on a hill to help out a BMW as it was stuck. It may not be as posh as the new vans, but I would keep it over them.

Submitted: 2012-08-04 | ID: 48141

Michael Conaire, Ireland

Toyota Hiace 300 panel van 2005

I’ve had my Hiace since 05, from new, and in that period I have had only to change the diff at the rear and front discs and pads. Mileage is at around 249,000 to date. The van itsself is great in that it is 2.5 litre with enough pull to just about pull above its weight. I have the highest regard for this van. I have found other vans at the price I bought this Hiace at can’t pull the same weight or they are front wheel drive, which if you pull trailers is useless on soft ground and when the trailer is loaded. I would recommend this van for any young professional trades-person as it won’t let you down.

Submitted: 2012-06-19 | ID: 48142

Rich Martin, Ceredigion

Toyota Hiace 2007

A very slow van. I am not able to keep up with the speed of the road. I can get it to about 50mph until I reach a hill, which takes it right down to 30mph again, which is very frustrating! It is also bad on fuel because I’m hammering it all the time trying to keep it going!

Submitted: 2012-05-24 | ID: 48140

Mike Thorne, Cheshire

Toyota Hiace SWB 2005

I have had this van from new and it has never let me down. It now had 140,000 on the clock and I’ve only had to change the diff bar and shock absorbers. I was going to buy a smaller van to get better mpg, but I have decided to stick with my Toyota, at least then I know I won’t have expensive repair bills.

Submitted: 2012-05-09 | ID: 48139

Mike Phoenix, England

Toyota Hiace 2005

Cheap to buy, comfortable and with good fuel economy. I have only needed to replace one tail light bulb after seven years fom new. Buy one!

Submitted: 2012-04-26 | ID: 48138

N Hans, Yorkshire

Toyota Hiace swb barn doors 2000

I’ve had my Hiace 2.4d for about 7 years and it’s just failed mot for the first time, needing two front shocks and anti roll bar link arms, costing £200 plus vat to get these sorted. Its done 93000 miles as a landscapers van, lugging 1 ton bags of aggregates around on a regular basis. It’s the best van I’ve ever had, apart from the Toyota Hilux pick up I had previously and the only reason I got rid of it was due to it being petrol and a bit thirsty. The Ford p100 I had was absolutely rubbish and the Maestro van was like driving about in a hard tyred wheel barrow. I had a vw golf car for the same time as the Hiace and that cost me a fortune (gearbox, springs, suspension, suspension, suspension, brakes, brakes) so when the water pump went, I fixed it then got rid and bought a Toyota Corrola (made in Japan) and it’s far better to drive than the golf and it is proving equally as reliable as the van. I just wish Toyota would make a slightly smaller van.

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 48119

Jase, Sussex

Toyota Hiace 2.4D 1997

I had an R reg Hiace up to a few years ago and it was simply a great van, tough and totally reliable. It had a hard life and looked pretty ragged and had 198,000 on the clock when I sold it, but it had always been reliable and everything still worked, electric windows, central locking etc. The one and only thing that had failed was the remote fuel filler cap release and that’s it.

Submitted: 2012-01-27 | ID: 48118

Richard Lewis, Dorset

Toyota Hiace 280 102hp 2003

I’m on my 4th Hiace now. I had a 95 Granvia Hiace 4WD import years ago, which was fast and comfy, but had terrible fuel consumption, plus the rear seats not coming out easily was a pain. I then got a 99 Hiace 2.4 LWB, which was slower, but I had no issues with in 2 years of ownership. I then got a 08 Hiace 120, which was fast, but a bit too snatchy around town driving, although great on long journeys, uphill and overtaking, but oddly started to rust in various places (perhaps due to a life near the sea) and insurance was a lot higher. I have just flogged that and bought a 2003 old shape Hiace with D4D 102 engine. Of the 4 I have had this seems the right balance of power, economy, insurance group and I prefer the look compared to the post ’07 ones. I had to replace the steering column gaiter on two of them, as this tends to split and makes it noisy inside. All of them seem to clonk on full lock. The dashboard light has also gone on two of them, but it is relatively easy to change. Other than that they just need regular servicing, which is easy enough to do youself. I wouldn’t buy any other type of van, although I do like the look of the Asian/Oz market models.

Sounds like our 2003 D4D 102bhp Hiace campervan... ours is a Hillside Ashover conversion with hi-top roof, done in 2010. Despite the extra weight it drives well and returns 35+mpg, even 40mpg running at 60-65 on long trips. Only problem so far is the very common split steering column boot - a £15 part and a £200 repair. Engine pulls very well between 1200 and 2500rpm, loads of torque for the hilly North! Am getting used to the engine and road noise - I guess its all a bit 'old school' but we do get a funny light rattle on light throttle around 1800rpm, disappears when pulling harder. Any thoughts? Our Toyota mechanic said noisy injectors. Its certainly worse on cheap fuel, better with Millers Eco additive. - from South Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-01-13 | ID: 48117

Paul Wilson, Lancashire

Toyota Hiace 300 95hp 2008

I bought my van 18 months old with 43k miles from a Toyota dealer who had used it from new as their parts delivery van. I had it lined and insulated to soundproof it and then shelved it myself. I am a self employed builder and have only driven it 8,000m in 2 years but I love it. I bought it after reading other reviews here at the time and poor reviews on Transits, Vivaro’s and VW etc. I also spoke to several owners who all had much praise for their vans. I have only had one problem which was a sticking brake cylinder due to water ingress/corrosion which my brother fixed for me. Yes they are basic but I believe they are the best van on the road. I need the long wheelbase and can get in 8’ x 4’ sheets of ply & plasterboard etc, 3m lengths of pipe & timber on an angle and even my 2.5m triple extension ladders (The SWB wont do that). The 95hp engine is plenty powerful enough and I have a 1.3 GVW trailer it tows easily. Fuel consumption averages 27/28 mpg. The best I got was 33mpg when empty and before I had it lined and insulated etc. and the worst mpg was 23 in winter but short journeys and some towing etc. I always have it full of tools and equipment. The biggest fault is it doesn’t like the snow. I couldn’t move in the deep snow the last couple of winters. However, I am very pleased and intend to keep the van for many years to come.

Submitted: 2011-12-22 | ID: 48116

Andy Singh, Scotland

Toyota Hiace 2008

I’m now on my third Hiace. I get 40mpg and it drives and handles like a car. My previous Hiace was a 1997 2.4d with 280k on the clock, which was scrapped because it needed new parts that would have cost £250. I got £350 from the scrappy! The engine was still pulling at 90mph. Having tried the lot I would bet £100million that no country can beat the Japanese in build quality.

Submitted: 2011-12-14 | ID: 48115

Johnny Thompson, Finland

Toyota Hiace 9 seater bus 2006

My 2006 9 seater Hiace bus has 603,000 kms on the clock. There have been no real problems. It is serviced every 20,000km and the oil is changed every 10,000km. Go Toyota Go !! I love it :-)

Can you tell me what the distance on the wheels between hole to hole? Is it about 2 or 3 inches - Stuart Prentice from England

Submitted: 2011-11-02 | ID: 48121

M Deney, Sussex

Toyota Hiace Powervan 2000

I bought this van a year ago when it was 10 years old with only 80,000 miles on the clock. It needed a new wishbone and bushes for the MOT and now needs the glow plugs replacing, but as for a robust and reliable van, I couldn’t have done better.

Submitted: 2011-10-25 | ID: 48120

Dave Sharp, Yorkshire

Toyota Hiace 300 LWB 2011

Do not let anyone kid you, if you’re looking for reliability at sensible money you shouldn’t look at anything else. Simply put this is the best van in its category. I’ve just picked mine up from the dealer having had it on order for 4.5 months (Japanese earth quake etc), but it was definitely worth the wait. I own and run a small MoT and garage business and I just know from experience that this van will last forever. Ok so it doesn’t have fancy gismos and electrics, but who wants them? That’s the very thing that makes this van reliable! When toyota get something right they don’t change things just for the sake of it. The day after I picked it up I did a 250 mile round trip, the van was smooth, quick, quiet and returned 40 mpg. The Toyota was £14,500 + vat (the equialent VW was over £20,000 + vat and read their reviews - terrible) Excellent van!

I’m self employed, I drive a 2006 1-9D Expert van no electrics, the van carries all my Power-washing gear and is very reliable. I must admit it’s not fast but I am getting about 40mpg which is good. My question is, how do I know which Toyota Hiace was made in Japan? I agree with everyone that the Hiace is the best van BY FAR but are they still made in Japan? I’m looking for a 2006 Hiace lwb with no electrics or frills. If anyone would be kind enough to reply, please give year of vans which are made in Japan i.e. 2006, 2007 etc as I live in Belfast and don’t have letters like R Reg. Cheers! - Michael Dickinson from County Antrim

Have a look at the aluminum chassis tag under the engine cover on forward control or under the bonnet on normal control vans and it will tell you the plant it was built in - from New Zealand

Submitted: 2011-08-22 | ID: 48124

Robert Bruce, Renfrewshire

Toyota Hiace 300 gs 2.5 d4d 2007

I have had many new vans provided by employers over the years and the Hiace is my favorite. I am a mobile engineer and it would be my first choice if I went self employed and had to buy a van myself. It has the legendary Toyota reliability and the gearstick from the floor area, which I prefer. It’s easy to maintain and is a good size of van for town use. I love the tinny sounding sliding side door. I currently have a Vivaro just now, which I am sick of as the trim falls off all the time, e.g door handles wing mirror, bits of dash, window winder etc. I’m wanting another hiace again after carrying out some maintenance on a friend’s and I had to take it on a wee test drive. The common problems I’ve found over the years with the hiace (but keep on top of them and they will be like new), are: Steering column gaiter through bulkhead wearing and letting excess roadnoise into cabin at speed; Anti roll bar droplink bushes wearing circa 30k-40k miles- under £40 (dingbro) for both sides for complete droplinks, no need to remove wheels to fit, this dramatically reduces roll and makes everything seem a lot tighter at the front. I have had a few sets of ovaled brake drums, d4d engines EGR valve coking up; I disable the EGR on all my diesels to stop the inevitable. On the 2.4d had a run of worn crankpulleys and they caused wear on crankshaft; the pattern was that they had been to the dealers within a few miles for timing belts so probably had not been torqued correctly. Keep the batteries topped up and the terminals greased along with the regular (10k) servicing. The ignition barrel/key wear can make the steering lock difficult to release on circa 130k vans, but if you keep rotating keys and applying a small bit of grease every now and again this should not be as much of an issue. The cons are: The usual plain dash compared to all others, whole bland interior for that matter, but on my transits etc the more cubby holes = more rubbish in them; Small wing mirrors and poor rear visibility means most of these vans have rear door and quarter damage due to reversing into things; The long wheelbase Hiace has a terrible turning axis and is poorer to drive. I didn’t like the facelift on the last one I had, but it grew on me so the conclusion is that I like a van to be a van and not try to be a car with these dash mounted gear sticks that need constant adjustment and crazy power outputs and low reliability. Transits have constant EGR valve and electrical problems together with fuel pump leaks, gear selectors dropping out of place and general VW engine management issues. The Vivaro has been reliable but sheds some plastic.

Submitted: 2011-08-18 | ID: 48123

Gazza Tarson, Australia

Toyota Hiace Commuter Diesel 2010

The Hiace Commuter is a top van, and everything is good. Note I have given it four stars, the fifth star will be reserved for when, (and I admit I am very picky but I am in the professional passenger transport business and own and drive daily a 2011 Toyota Commuter) 1. The interior noise from the road is lowered. And 2. The suspension is made more comfortable for the passenger. Currently the ride is jarry and bumpy. It should be smooth, noiseless and comfortable for passenger transport; I can’t help but feel that there was little thought to this aspect and the suspension is the same as the commercial van. I transport wheelchair passengers and they need a smoother ride. I am not an expert but the suspension design needs some work for passenger transport.

I can agree with the suspension issues. The passengers complain a lot about the bumps. This is really annoying - Graeme Wallis from Australia

Submitted: 2011-07-22 | ID: 48127

Michael Crawley, Essex

Toyota Hiace 2000

I’ve had my Hiace about 11 years from new. Done 230 000 miles and only replaced tyres and break discs/pads. Best van out there by far. Have to replace it now though because of the low emmisions zone. Boo!

Your Hiace is nice, I want to review them - Govern Kwaramba from London

Can’t believe the LEZ! I love my Hiace van but like you have to get a new van, but looking at a 2003 Hiace that passes. But money I don’t need to spend - from Sussex

Submitted: 2011-07-03 | ID: 48110

Amar, Lancashire

Toyota Hiace 2005

I’ve had my Hiace since 2005 and have covered 288k miles. It’s been regularly serviced I’ve only needed to change the clutch. I also have a 1998 Hiace, which has covered 327k miles and again I’ve only changed the clutch, plus a radiator. It’s still running on the manufacture exhaust and has just past its MoT with flying colours.

Hello. Well I think I would like this but first I want to know how much you want to sell this bus before we proceed. I await your reply at robmanng147@yahoo.com - robinson chinedu from Nigeria

Submitted: 2011-06-29 | ID: 48113

John Tait, County Antrim

Toyota Hiace 1996

Still going strong 168,000 miles, I just look at it and it starts in the morning. There is bit of rust but nothing compared to the Merc vans I have seen on the road. I have one complaint though, the travelling community always want to buy it off me and the police always stop me thinking I’m part of he travelling community. Best van I have ever had; oil flush once a year is the secret and always check the oil and water before any long distance. I don’t know a van that is any good in the snow especially with a bit of weight in it.

I am the owner of a 1992 Mark 3 and am interested in the possible purchase of your van. I would like to discuss it further with you. Would it be possible for you to provide a contact number and/or arrange a viewing? - Liam Mooney from County Antrim

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 48085

Ian, Shropshire

Toyota Hiace Powervan 1999

Bought second Toyota, low mileage at only 150k, two years later not one single problem. Bullet proof motor, no rust, forgotten what its like to visit the garage! First hi ace was a 96 model, 198k off a market trader, sold it to my brother who has took it to 289k so far, again not a hint of trouble. Nothing to touch one of these if you want a good reliable workhorse, tow very well being rear wheel drive, great vans.

Submitted: 2011-05-25 | ID: 48087

Kevin Thomas, Hampshire

Toyota Hiace 120 2009

Owned a Toyota 2.4 compact for 14 years best van I’ve had so I purchased a new one 09. It’s quality, it’s fast, it’s reliable, but I would prefere the model they sell in Japan; after all the Japanese don’t want the English model over there because the English model is too long with the engine up front too wide and with less room in the back and its harder to get in and out. Saying that it is still a good van, power steering very nice, steering wheel uses more diesel as it’s turbo and don’t like having a bulkhead as you can’t get long items inside and gets stuffy in the cab.

Submitted: 2011-05-17 | ID: 48083

Ray Kellet, Lancashire

Toyota Hiace 120 300 2008

Third Hiace I’ve had, the dogs for me. Ok basic, but all you need. Starts every time, minus 15 last year, no problem. I had a petrol Hiace 1989 , sold it with 189000 on clock, met chap who bought it some years later (about 4 years) it had 253000 on the clock and was still running well. Really, no bull! VW Merc and the rest don’t compare.

Submitted: 2011-05-16 | ID: 48084

Jim Byrne, Hertfordshire

Toyota Hiace 2002

Have had the van from 2003, very, very reliable!!! Only problem so far was the batteries failed but they were 9 years old! It starts first time every time and carries a load brilliantly which helps as I carry all types of flooring including carpet and contract vinyl. They are a bit basic but who cares? Less to breakdown. Have friends who drive other makes and constantly complain of high costs for parts and labour. My van on average costs around £300 to service including parts.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 48082

Dave E, England

Toyota Hiace lwb 1990

I’ve had a Hiace van for 16 years. So far still going stong, the best van I’ve had, just wish Toyota would import the new Hiace to the UK.

Hi, are you selling your Toyota Hiace? - Saqib A from Yorkshire

Hi, I have an ’89 diesel Hiace for sale - one owner, 86k miles. Call 0780 298 9137 - Imran Haq from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-03-17 | ID: 48079

Stan Duke, England

Toyota Hiace 280 2011

What can I say so far, other than what have I been missing all of these years?! The price, the build, the spec, the drive, mpg, are all second to none with this van!! And over the years I’ve owned quite a few vans, why aren’t these vans the market leader? Wake up Britain!

Submitted: 2011-03-14 | ID: 48078

Fred Philips, Yorkshire

Toyota Hiace SWB 2008

Having read the reports on this site about the problems with rusty Mercs, the new Transits, and the problems the rest of the vans that you all have reported; I have bought a 08 just in waranty Toyota Hiace. Took it to main dealer for free 2hr check up before it turns 60K and 3yrs. Came out with glowing colours. I drive like the old man that I am and it returns 42mpg !!!! That’s tank top up to top up. No motorways or long journeys not loaded up. Will report any problems But thanks you all for your comments helped me decide.

Submitted: 2011-03-01 | ID: 48096

Colin Liggat, Ayrshire

Toyota Hiace 300 LWB 120BHP 2010

Bought van July 2010, extras inc alloys, front fogs, rear parking, metallic, wind deflectors. Pushed price up quite a bit, (looks much better though) no probs with van, but niggles, needs another gear, very poor in snow, noisy on the motorway, old fashioned switchgear etc. But to be fair build quality is excellent, and I just know this van will last a long time. I traded in my transit (56 plate) 65000miles, a much nicer drive than Hiace, but nothing but trouble, back at ford 8 times, letting in water, egr valve, riddled with rust, remote locking, etc. The Hiace has its faults, but its still way better built than any of the competition.

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 48095

Neil Powell, Cheshire

Toyota Hiace swb 2010

Bought new Hiace swb in September, really pleased with it. Use mine mainly as a car so had to pay the dreaded vat. Still good value though and if you shop around you can get for £10,995 plus vat. Great build quality and hopefully will prove reliable. Was going to buy new transporter but prices ridiculous and poor reveiws so opted for Hiace. Tows my caravan well, fuel consumption not fantastic but reasonable for a van. used mine in all the snow recently and with it being rear wheel drive didn’t like going up hill too much. If you’re looking for a good reliable work horse with electric windows, mirrors, abs and aircon for the price definitely buy a Hiace.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 48092

John Loveday, England

Toyota Hiace lwb power van 2001

Had it from new, now 158,000 miles, passed every mot and has cost me only tyres brake pads. Serviced reg, what a great van! About to get a new one, I hope it’s as good as the last.<br /><br />

Hi, Just wondered if you got the new van? Did you sell the old one? If not, I may be interested. Please call me - 07766 171213. Cheers - Stewart Holt from Cheshire

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 48093

Jules, Devon

Toyota Hiace powervan swb 2000

My last van was a VW t4 and cost £5,500. It was all a bit too posh and sophisticated for me, so I sold it and got my powervan 8 months ago for £1,500 and I love it! It’s done 165,000 miles. Good points: Instant starter even in -15c, fantastic build quality, no rust, can legally carry 1210kg and handles well under a full load, I get 35 mpg, great to drive and feels totally solid and reliable, basic and easy to maintain, low geared so plenty of torque. Bad points: The low gearing makes it unsuitable for those who want to cruise at 80 mph (which is fine for me..I think we should all chill out and slow down a bit!) Overall, I’m happier with this van compared to all the others I’ve had. It’ll last me many years, I wont be selling it. You can keep yer over-priced Transporters and rusty Vitos etc. The Toyota powervan is built to last!

I am looking for this car here in South Africa, I am in the eastern cape province east london - Pumzile Elvis Komanisi from South Africa

Submitted: 2011-02-22 | ID: 48090

Chris Maudsley, Lancashire

Toyota Hiace d4d 280 gs 2002

Owned the van from new and have covered 153k miles. Only the batteries let me down once, replaced them both and no trouble since. Replaced clutch at 83k miles, had started slipping but this was my fault according to mechanic for not using 1st gear to set off! original exhaust, brake discs etc. I have a full service every 12k. I try to limit my cargo, I am a gas engineer so occasionally carry max weight but generally only about 300kg load. I can easy achieve 440 miles off a 60 litre tank which is 33mpg. with galv full length roof rack achieved 400 miles per tank, 30mpg and with cat ladders and triple ladders on rack would only get 360 miles-27mpg. When driving as carefully as possible to achieve max mileage per tank I managed 487miles-36.5mpg. Would not attempt 500 miles per tank takes forever to get anywhere! Very sluggish compared to Renault, Nissan, Vauxhall Vivaro variants but so reliable, I have absolutely no intention of replacing and I don’t doubt that it will be a great servant for another 8 years.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-10 | ID: 48088

Edward Webb, Kent

Toyota Hiace 2002

Hi, I have just purchased my second Toyota Hiace Lwb 300 I just wish that I had done it years ago. The only down side I would say is the fuel economy could be a little better, but just make sure the tyres are well pumped up and drive carefully problem solved. Over all it beats the Vauxhalls, Renaults, Citroens even the VWs that we all know suffer terribly with gearbox problems etc, etc, etc, and will cost you an absolute fortune to maintain. If you read this and are stuck what to buy do yourself a favour buy a Toyota Hiace it will be stress free driving from here on without the worry of breaking down and costing loads of money. I have noticed a couple of complaints from other people on here but everyone likes to moan about something from time to time.

Submitted: 2011-02-06 | ID: 48089

Andy Craig, Lincolnshire

Toyota Hiace SWB 2000

I bought my Toyota van 4 years ago with 130,000 miles on the clock, it now has 202,000 and performs brilliantly. Always starts first time, no mechanical problems at all and a good handling vehicle. Can carry a good load and is quite nippy in traffic. Yes, they are pretty basic vans, but if you want reliability and a well engineered engine then look no further than Toyota.

Submitted: 2011-02-04 | ID: 48100

Ian Irvine, County Londonderry

Toyota Hiace 2003

My son and myself have been driving a Hiace the past few years. Main problems at the beginning was the battery never keeping a charge, been checked in service, nobody really cured. Not easy to work at in general, timing belt a pain and not cheap, engine noisy all times. Biggest problem last month after full service (149k), it blew a big end just after getting of the boat heading to bonny Scotland,s o sad thing is i’ts not worth towing back home with boat costs etc. I was quoted £650 for engine including delivery to garage in Scoland, Is it worth the risk and cost of repair? Going for free to good home.

Submitted: 2011-02-04 | ID: 48103

John Pirrie, Scotland

Toyota Hiace 2010

Done 17000 miles in mine good van keep tyres up to 55 at least for good mpg also run snow tyres in winter they work well had a 50 mph head on smash, van was a right off but I walked away with a sore leg. Great van, buying another one, had vw transporters for 15 years what I have missed out on! Well better late than never. PS Would like 6 gears, even better mpg if they did one, the 120 bhp is the best I think. Well hope this helps you decide when you buy a van, cheap to maintain as well compaired to VW I had.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-01 | ID: 48102

Dave Benyon, Cornwall

Toyota Hiace diesel automatic 1998

I’m writing about a mates experiences with SurfAce, TownAce and HiAce day-vans (or picnic wagons as I call them) VERY BAD although the vehicles were all about ten years old. The automatic gearboxes gave a lot of trouble refusing to change up into top gear until they were hot (old fluid and clogged filters?) Head gaskets blew as the vehicles were apt to boil on steep hills. After one repair the mechanic (not me!) made the gaffe of fitting a new oil filter without noticing that the old rubber ring was still stuck to the block. It was a pitch black night, no moon, no stars and no street lamps where the Ace spewed out its oil. I was called out to tow the beastie back but I don’t think this helped the transmission which was pretty knackered anyway. (Not many transmissions have a second hydraulic pump on the output shaft these days but the old Borg-Warner 35s from the 1960s could be towed OK) On that night all our torches mobile phones and cigarette lighters chose to fail and as those Toyotas are hard enough to work on in daylight over a pit, fixing it in the dark, cold and filth wasn’t really possible. The van survived for a few more months but rolled-over on a bend when the driver over-corrected after nodding off. According to the AA man these Aces are top of his list for roll-over incidents as the track width is so narrow compared to the height. (Japan taxes vehicles on width). There are also no Haynes manuals for these vehicles. Hopefully newer models are better but my impressions of Japanese machinery are that spares are extremely costly and back-up is difficult to obtain.

Submitted: 2011-01-31 | ID: 48101

James Smith, Scotland

Toyota Hiace 2009

Only owned the van just over a month. fantastic van very well made. looked at VW, decided not to due to owning an Audi which has given many expensive problems, in comparison the Toyota is simple and that’s the gem. The van is comfortable and roomy inside the cabin. Everything works every time no computer bleeps. If you’re in the market for a medium van consider your options carefully. I based my choice on many reviews and the Toyota was always rated well. Hope this helps anyone wanting to buy a Hiace. 10 out of 10 and that’s genuine.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 48099

Rob H Healy, England

Toyota Hiace lwb 1996

Well, I’m just selling my old 96 model as I’m lucky enough to have a nice shiny 10 plate on the drive. I didn’t even contemplate another van, nor will I. The only breakdown was the diff went, but the van worked hard over the 8 years I have owned it, pulling around 600kg’s daily. I’m just hoping that the new one performs as good as the old one has.

Hi, I need a Toyota Hiace. Anyone selling one? - Saqib A from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 48097

Ciaran Looney, Ireland

Toyota Hiace panel van 2002

The Toyota Hiace van is simply the greatest van ever built. I bought my first one in 2002, the start of the d4d models and it never once failed to start, in hail rain or snow. I put 230,000 miles on her and she was as sweet as a nut when she left my yard to a new owner. I’m a plumber by trade and the Hiace was ideal for my line of work. With great low down torque it would pull two ton no problem. When my mates where buying the likes of transporters and reno masters and vivaros, they were shelling out big money on the likes of floating fly wheel problems (VW) knackered diesel injectors (Renos)and electrical problems (Opel & Vauxhall) I was motoring away like a mouses heart. To sum it all up I’ve built my business on the strenght of reliability thanks to the Toyota and that’s why I always drive one.

Loved the write up! ESP motoring away like a mouse’s heart - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-01-12 | ID: 48104

Ben Lord, England

Toyota Hiace 280GS 2005

Well, I bought one of these after reading reviews on this site! I must say that if anyone else gets one of these after not having driven a vehicle with solenoid actuated injectors is that they’re a lot noisier than you’ll be used to. I actually took mine to a diesel injection specialist after I could hear an odd tappety rattle which changed tone depending on accelerator position! Turned out to be just the way they sound. It’s been reliable, smaller than a transit, brilliant turning circle and built like a tank. I like the drivers seat and driving position (I’m 6’4) and find it comfortable. It is not the fastest van in the world and if you try to drive it fast you can expect 20mpg, however I drive like an old man and get 35 mpg combined so not too bad. Also, they don’t rust like transits. Vivaros are equally long lived in the bodywork department and faster but cost almost twice as much.<br /><br />

Quick update: I thought I’d check the tyre pressures... they were all about 30 psi! Blew em up to the recommended max psi (65) and hey presto 45mpg on a run at 60 mph. I’m well chuffed and recommend taking 2 mins to check yours - Ben Lord from England

Submitted: 2011-01-06 | ID: 48108

Carol T, Somerset

Toyota Hiace Power Van 2.4 Diesel 2000

Mine was 2 years old when I bought it, apart from a regular service and normal wear and tear, I only had the glow plugs change and 2 new batteries. The AA man said when the batteries went ’we don’t come out to many of these’!!! It was easy and comfortable to drive on long and short trips, plenty of room for all my junk!! and a couple of mates. It had done 121,000 miles but unfortuneately some idiot decided to do a u-turn in the road in front of me and the van was written off (I was very glad to be driving a tank cause although I was injured it could have been a lot worse in a less robust vehicle). Now trying to replace it and seems people never get rid of them!!!! Anyone selling in Bristol or surrounding area????

Hi Carol. Just read your review as I am thinking of buying another Hiace. You’ve probably got one by now but it’s worth mentioning mine may be for sale, 2000 year 95k, owned from new by our family, full history, genuine and straight. Respond to this website if you want - from Cornwall

Submitted: 2010-12-30 | ID: 48106

Paul London, England

Toyota Hiace 2009

I purchased my 2009 Hiace last April after owning a 1996 Hiace for over 5 years finishing with over 200miles on the clock, (the engine was still good, no smoke or oil burn). I was so impressed with the reliability, never had 1 brake down during ownership. The new shape vans are awesome (in my opinion) good mpg 35 round town. the new shape is a huge improvement, delivering much better power and handling is good. Be aware in wet conditions , unladen it is easy to slide the rear end. I bought this van with intention of keeping it for at least 5 years, knowing that resale prices are good! I paid 10K and i reckon i can get 4-5k in 5 years! not bad for trouble free motoring! Defo recommend to anyone!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-13 | ID: 48059

Ed Baker, London

Toyota Hiace 6 seats 2000

Owned for 10 years, bought pair of new batteries, 1 set of tyres, 1 bulb, 1 set of wipers. Definitely has the X factor.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 48060

David Farrell-Wateford, Ireland

Toyota Hiace d4d 2002

Great van, power d4d, little more econ than pre 2002. No major faults like other manufatures. Toyota engineering design and assembley 100%. Bit basic cabin and you would know you’re driving a van compared to some of the Trafics, Vivaros, I’ve driven, but Toyota spend their budget on reliablity rather than looks !!!!

Submitted: 2010-10-14 | ID: 48063

Joe Fungai Muengedzwa, Zimbabwe

Toyota Hiace 2.0 1RZ 1996

Toyota Hiace 2.0 1RZ I dont know how many owners my Hiace had before me because I imported it from japan. Down here in Zimbabwe and most other African countries we use it as public transport, carrying a minimum of 15 up to 22 adults with either luggage in tow or on the roof. It’s anybody’s guess how much tonage the vehicle carries everyday. It starts the day as early as 4am up until around 2200hours 24/7. The Toyota Hiace is amazing, with good regular service the Hiace can go forever. To me its more than a vehicle it’s part of my family. I have done over 300k miles without any major problem using it as above. I wish I could have more of these, but hey cash in a dead economy (Zimbabwe) is not easy to come by.

You cannot beat the Toyota brother. You made the right choice son. Nice choice - Ezra Jibunoh from London

Submitted: 2010-10-07 | ID: 48061

Ian, Cheshire

Toyota Hiace 2003

Had this van a year now bought on the strength of this site and friends experiences with other vans, covered 10,000miles, 122,000 total, well on clock anyway! Great van to drive no problems yet, not perfect, 1st and 5th gear too low, and suspension too hard for normal unloaded use, skitters on bumpy roads unloaded, seems to return about 40 mpg average which is good for a 2.5 turbo, not a fast driver though. Great bottom end and midrange power, no top end so no point in revving it. Friends problems oh dear: Peugeot - blown g/box and another one engine, VW 05 - gearbox! Transit - gearbox. Vito - fast but rustbox; and we only carry motorcycles around!<br /><br />

Ian’s spot on, my 2002 2.5L is extremely reliable. Why I bought this van... 3 yrs ago I asked the boss of CB Motors in Golders green which is a garage and recovery firm in one "which is the most reliable medium size van" and his lightning quick response was "Toyota". I haven’t had a single problem since I bought it in 2007, having already covered 105,000 miles and I’ve done 22,000 miles. It starts first time, everytime, hot or cold but my only drawback is that it is so slow to warm up and defrost the screen. People say it is because it’s a diesel. I do agree that first gear is too low but it’s good for crawling in traffic jams etc, and fifth gear could be a bit higher. Top speed on 88bhp is about 95mph on red line and it will cruise at 80mph but the mpg will drop to 30/town figures.Full tank will give you 350-400 miles at best - Keith Marsland from Hertfordshire

Just changed my ’96 powervan for a ’52 plate. They are the best kept secret. Would not have any other van. Anyway, my point is have you tried a new thermostat? Put a new one in last November after two winters with a poor heater and wow, up to temp very quick - faster than my BMW - Nathan Bray from England

Submitted: 2010-09-18 | ID: 48064

Mark Golledge, Gloucestershire

Toyota Hiace POWERVAN 2.4D 1997

Had all types of vans, new and used over the last 22 years, but the Toyota I have now is the best of the lot! Bought 2 1/2yrs ago with 125,000 and new cam belt, been all over France twice and use it every day for work; I’m a builder. Does everything I ask of it and more,with an average of 35mpg, worst was 30mpg running down France FULLY loaded at 85mph; the best has been an average of 45mpg. Yes, I said 45mpg and that is no made-up figure! Would I buy another? The answer is a big YES, but I think I might have to wait some time until this one goes to the big scrap heap in the sky!

What PSI do you run your tyres at? - Nick Mills from Hampshire

Just read response ; 60psi Front and Rear. Just came back from France again , 180,000 on the clock now , got 32mpg at 70mph(gps) up and back, but 38mpg running around whilst there. Needed serious welding on O/S this MOT , but that was all. Looking for a LWB NOW !! ANYONE ?????????? - Mark Golledge from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 2010-08-22 | ID: 48068

Darren Pickhaver, Cornwall

Toyota Hiace 1996

I have had my van for 5 years and until this year the most I have have ever spent at mot time is about £50 . These are amazing vans get in every morning and it starts without fail very very reliable can’t recommend it high enough. My Mechanic reckons it still has its original exhaust not bad for 135,000 miles. I am now thinking of changing as the Cornish salt air is starting to get to the bodywork ,but after looking around at more stylish vans I have realised that if I want reliability over style it’s got to be another Hiace. I said to a friend, they have not changed much as they have got newer, he said thats because they don’t need to -if something works why change it? Thats why I will be getting another Hiace soon.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-08-21 | ID: 48067

John Wells, England

Toyota Hiace 300gs 1996

What can I say? If you want van that just keeps going, it has to be the Hiace. Ours was just written off but in the 14 years we’ve owned it, apart from regular servicing and general wear and tear such as tires and bulbs, we have only had to change that problematic ball joint on the front suspension (not a requirement with our MOT garage, but it does make it clunky when on rough roads). 475,000 miles and the clutch was just on the verge of needing to be changed. Now, alright, we used it as a car 50 weeks out of the year and only towed any real weight, even then only about a ton, on the occasional weekends but still how many cars go for 475,000 miles? Let alone have the original clutch in it. MPG seems to stick at 30MPG whether its being hammered at 80-85mph up the motorway (one thing I’ve noticed is that most Hiace’s speedos read 10% higher than actual speed) or doing a comfortable 50 on long straight country roads. Even on the basic model power isn’t an issue because you have bags of torque thanks to the low gearing and you’ll find yourself overtaking in some places where a car wouldn’t, though this does make high speed runs damn noisy. In fact, in all honesty, the only negative thing about this van is that it lacks a 7th and a 6th gear, driving in 5th is like having a 3 speed car with overdrive. i.e. 3500 RPM for 65 mph. But the new Hiace (up to 08) has a higher ratio box anyway.

Submitted: 2010-07-12 | ID: 48077

John Wells, England

Toyota Hiace 300gs 1996

What can I say, if you want a van that just keeps going it has to be the Hiace. Ours was just written off but in the 14 years we’ve owned it, apart from regular servicing and general wear and tear such as tyres and bulbs, we have only had to change that problematic ball joint on the front suspension (not a requirement with our MOT garage, but it does make it clunky when on rough roads). 475,000 miles and the clutch was just on the verge of needing to be changed, now alright we used it as a car 50 weeks out of the year and only towed any real weight, even then only about a ton, on the occasional weekends but still how many cars go for 475,000 miles? let alone have the original clutch in it. MPG seems to stick at 30MPG whether its being hammered at 80-85mph up the motorway (one thing I’ve noticed is that most Hiace’s speedo’s read 10% higher than actual speed) or doing a comfortable 50 on long straight country roads. Even on the basic model power isn’t an issue because you have bags of torque thanks to the low gearing and you’ll find yourself overtaking in some places where a car wouldn’t, though this does make high speed runs damn noisy. In fact in all honesty the only negative things about this van is that it lacks a 7th and a 6th gear, driving in 5th is like having a 3 speed car with overdrive. i.e. 3500 RPM for 65 mph. But the new Hiace (up to 08) has a higher ratio box anyway.

Hi, could you tell me from what year to get the ratios for gearing changed? I have a 98 Hiace but looking to replace but want something that will cruise at 70 down the motorway quietly - Dan R from England

Have to concur with the under reading speedo, picked up my Hiace SWB 288 GS 88 yesterday, running at an indicated 70, sat nav said 64 - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2010-07-12 | ID: 48074

Antony Rudd, England

Toyota Hiace 2007

I have had 5 Toyota vans, the new shape is the worst van I have ever had. I was nearly killed by carbon momoxide fumes in my cab, but toyota kept denying it. I took the chief mechanic for a drive and being a combustion engineer took my test analyser, it red between 3-6 parts of co2, lethal. The tyres regularly wear out on the steering, with outer wear on one side. The £1200 ac has packed up twice, now at 70000 out of warranty in 30 degrees. I am pi***d off. Last service was at an independent and he reckons the rear brake have never been checked. At least it stops now! The a/c a waste of money as it came with reverse sensers, that was the package. only trouble is they are in the rear of the van and with a bulk head cannot be heard. My next van I need an auto, so much driving my knees are destroyed, but Toyota doesn’t even offer one so back to the euro market that Toyota has tried so hard to imitate; get the market then imitate it in construction.

I almost passed out passing a lorry on the A1 the other day in my landcruiser lc5 d4d...had to get my Mrs to pick me up and she said she could smell something like fumes (a bit like some sweaty feet) coming out of mostly rhs air vent. I’ve been to the doctor and I’m fine but I could have killed someone and myself. This also happened again today so I’ve booked it in for a check, also the aircon has packed up so I’m not sure it has anything to do with that or not...but very scary!!! - Jim High from Nottinghamshire

Did you resolve this problem at all? I have a similar issue so would be very interested to know outcome - 0783 662 9106 - Ian Gray from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2010-07-11 | ID: 48071

Richard, Australia

Toyota Hiace 2008

Since day 1 the clutch has been too aggresive, unless my gear changes are spot on it slips or grabs badly. I have done 62,000 km now and find I have to feather out the clutch or I have the rear of the van hopping down the road. l have driven for over 35 years and have never experienced anything like that. Reversing is a waste of time, any slight incline and the clutch starts burning, that has happened from day 1. I have reported it several times to my dealership and have been told that it is fine. I don’t bother now, the time I spent with the van in to be fixed cost me more than replacing the clutch. The ride is too rough, the Sydney roads are not the best, but at the end of the day I can’t wait to get out of it. I have the petrol motor, great power at high revs, hopeless at low revs. I carry a few hunrded kilos and with a hill start it is struggling. I try keeping it in a straight line at 100 kph with a slight side wind, no way. With wind gusts it is dangerous, being blown all over the road. The rear diff puts all the power to one wheel too readily. Going around a roundabout in wet weather you have to crawl otherwise the rear wheel is spinning; you guessed it. I think this is a poor vehicle, well made but dreadful to drive. l have had Land Cruisers and earlier Hiace’s but this current bodied Hiace is rubbish.

Richard, I agree completely, everything you have mentioned I have to deal with! Side winds blow me across the roads. I live in Tasy and it’s a fight to stay in a straight line during the winter. SLWB vans are dangerous in high winds, but I wouldnt buy anything else. Reliability is A1. I go through tyres like toilet rolls. It has lots of design issues but, all its good features make up for that. - from Australia

Submitted: 2010-06-22 | ID: 48041

Tim Elliott, Wiltshire

Toyota Hiace 2.5 d4d 280 2005

I’ve had this van for 6 months now and not stopped smiling yet. Thrown every thing at it and it’s not missed a beat. I’ve tried many other used vans, good ones and bad ones, but with the Hiace you know its going to do the job. One down side to the van is that it seems to run out of power on hills.

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 48040

Robby Alcott, Norfolk

Toyota Hiace 1997

I went to the local auction and paid £2400 for a white Toyota Hiace with 130k on clock over 8 years ago (P reg). Taken van around France for 4 months and used as a work horse ever since and at times it works very hard fully loaded. I change the oil every MoT. The only things I have had to replace is one ball joint, one bulb and tyres. Everytime I go to my van it starts and never lets me down. I believe if I keep the van for another 8 years it would not let me down. When I do replace the van it will it would be for another Toyota. Anybody out there thinking of buying a new van buy Toyota because they are simply the BEST!

Submitted: 2010-05-21 | ID: 48043

Patrick Hutchinson, Lancashire

Toyota Hiace SWB 95 1953

Okay, 6 Toyota Hiace’s later, with a mix of Short, Long, 95HP or 120HP, they have never let us down. One went to over 500,000 miles before we got rid and it’s still running with the new owner, the next oldest on a 53 plate just topped 260,000 miles before being written off in an accident. These vans are essentially bullet proof. That said the time has come to look elsewhere. New prices are ridiculous when compared to other manufacturers spec/size. 10K servicing is also a bind on high mileage users like us, and fuel economy isn’t great. Off to try a Citroen having read the shocking reviews of the Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar.

Good luck with your new make of van, you will be back to Toyota. Search the net, brand new Toyota vans for £10995. That’s cheaper than anything I have seen - Robby Norfolk from Norfolk

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 48033

Pete Tindall, Yorkshire

Toyota Hiace 2003

I am due for a new one soon, now on my forth Hiace, this one is the 300 gs. I’ve just clocked 117,000, I’ve changed the oil and filter every 6000 and serviced it myself; I am a builder so it gets a lot of stick. These vans run like clockwork, I cannot wait for the next one.

Submitted: 2010-03-28 | ID: 48032

Dennis Delaney, Ireland

Toyota Hiace 2.4 swb 1996

I’ve had this van three years and when I bought it, it was a bit shook up. Thinking if I got the year out of it I’d be doing well but that wasn’t the case. There is no killing this machine. It will go forever. There is nothing it can’t pull or carry. If it doesn’t fit inside the van it will go on top on the roof rack. I have carried tons of timber on the roof rack. It has a good pickup for speed. I can’t fault the Hiace. When I’m not working with the van I’m driving the Toyota Avensis on evenings and weekends. Toyota all round is by far the best built car in the world.

Submitted: 2010-02-09 | ID: 48039

Richard Pressley, Durham

Toyota Hiace 95 d4d 2007

I have had this van since 2007 it has done a very hard 117000 miles since being with me and it has never missed a beat. It has been serviced every 10,000 miles and has not broken down once. The engine is very strong it doesn’t do too bad with mpg either. Now for the bits I find let the van down a little: The noise from the outside when travelling at motorway speeds is quite loud and I sometimes find it difficult to hear the hands free for my mobile phone unless i slow down to 55 mph; The seats get little bit uncomfortable if on a very long journey as I liked to have my legs stretched and the rear of the seat tipped quite far back. If you don’t have any weight in the back when the roads are snowy or icy it tends to get a bit frisky or will struggle to manage even the slightest incline, which can be very frustrating. And finally I think it could do with a larger fuel tank as they only have a 60l capacity. All in all This has been a very reliable strong workhorse and I would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone (With a set of snow chains handy). If maintained and serviced regulary you will end up with a very reliable van.

Any rear wheel drive will struggle empty on slippery surfaces. The fuel tank should be 75 as mine - Ian Munter from Cornwall

Can you get sheets of 8x4 ply in this van? - from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 48036

Peter Lucas, England

Toyota Hiace d4d 2002

I bought this van 8 years ago new and have had no problems whatsoever. I’ve done 100,000 miles and it’s as good now as the day it was made. I personally would not buy any other type of van. PERFECT.

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 48035

Andrew Rhodes, Yorkshire

Toyota Hiace 1997

I’ve had my powervan nearly 8 years - easy to service myself. The bodywork is unmarked, you won’t find many other vans as strong. The van in front is definailey a Toyota.

What’s the mpg of these vans? I have just bought one and will be doing 300 miles a week, but can’t find any info on them. - James Jacks from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 48047

Terry Alan, Kent

Toyota Hiace 2007

I owned two Vaxuhalls and have had no end of problems with them, then after a lot of reseach I decided to buy a Toyota Hiace. After nearly three years and 45,000 miles it has been faultless. Since buying mine I have met someone who has done 125,000 miles in his and he has never had a single problem, I dont understand why Hiaces aren’t more popular?

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 48044

Martin, County Antrim

Toyota Hiace 2003

I have had this toyota 2003 model for 2 years now, have never had no problems and the only money I have ever spent on this van is servicing. A great work horse that never lets you down and great for pulling heavy loads and Very reliable. Now days when driving a van we expect what we get in a car and the new toyota does this. I am not trying to make this out to be the perfect van but if you want to go to work every day and want reliability choose a toyota hiace. Thanks.

I just bought a Toyota Hiace 2003, 150,000 on the clock, no trouble with it as yet. I always go for Japanese, preferably Toyota - Jeffrey McLucas from County Antrim

Submitted: 2010-01-07 | ID: 48045

Steve Lucas, Bedfordshire

Toyota Hiace 2.5 D4D 2004

I bought this van in July 2005, had been on the dealers forecourt for 6 months as a pre-registered vehicle since December 2004. I had never had a van before, so nothing to compare it against. My views are this: In 94,000 miles from new until I part exchanged it in March this year, it was serviced on schedule, and nothing, and I mean nothing, ever went wrong with it, not even a blown light-bulb!! The only modification I made to it was to supplement the horrible tinny speakers with some nice after-market boxed ones I placed under the seats. This was the GS-Extra version, so had aircon, but not heated mirrors etc. Fuel consumption was probably average only 25/27 mpg, but I don’t like to dawdle so could possibly achieve 30+ Possibly being in the market for a new van again, I have been looking at the reveiws/forums etc for other models. Certainly better looking models with higher spec are available, but this ugly duckling was a fantastic workhorse ! No, I have no connection with Toyota whatsoever, but my research has lead me to the conclusion that for reliability, there is no other choice than a Toyota Van, hope this helps some of you to make up your mind.

I think it has sir, thanks - Steve Wilson from Essex

Submitted: 2009-12-08 | ID: 48049

Bill, Cambridgeshire

Toyota Hiace 280GS 2003

Over 300,000 miles and the most expensive thing I spent over servicing has been a suspension bush £90, wheel bearing £50, and windscreen excess of £80! Even has original clutch. AMAZING VEHICLE that owes me nothing - in fact every morning I go down on my knees in front of it and pay homage. Unfortunately, as a taxi it has to have two doors and new UK Hiace has only one. Even asked my dealer to get one posted from Japan but they won’t/can’t do it. I look at the 3-star rating of the other makes and blanche as I have to change it by local law after 8 years. It 25 years times it will still be going - probably around the jungle in Bolivia, painted a hundred colours with no windows and chickens on the roof - but it will still be going!

Submitted: 2009-10-30 | ID: 48052

Paul Wyrill, Kent

Toyota Hiace 2.4 D powervan 1996

I am the 3rd owner, bought it with 78k miles 8yrs ago. It now has 180k. I do basic servicing every year (filters, lubes and belts) when due. The only mechanical parts I’ve had to change are: glow plugs, water pump and starter motor... Wow what can I say? It’s been an absolute dream... however my dilema is that I need a bigger van... Toyota don’t do the size i require... so, can anyone help? Which manufacturer do I switch to? Gutted to leave toyota :(

Get yourself a Renault Master. They are bullet proof. Comfortable and reliable - Shane Gallagher from Northern Ireland

Keep it, get a tow-bar - Paul Rugman from Gloucestershire

No, you should never buy a Renault or Opel van. I’ve just got rid of my Opel Vivaro. It was great to drive, had the perfect interior but very unreliable with tons of problems: Generator, breaks, turbo, steering, and only after 100,000 miles the whole gear shift needed to be changed costing me 1500 euros by replacing with used parts from ebay, new pars would have cost 4000 the dealer said. That is why I am thinking of buying Toyota. Reviews about Ford Transit are also pretty bad unfortunately. That’s my story - Alpar Benko from England

I would like to buy your old Toyota - Evans Onyeagwara from London

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 48054

Steven, Northern Ireland

Toyota Hiace Commuter 2005

Hi, I am actually in Adelaide South Australia and put Ireland because Id like to go there one day... Anyway, I have had 2 Toyota Hiace Commuters, an 89 and a 95 model, total owning time about 8 years, the 89 model had 166,000 km and the only repair was a starter motor and normal services that I had done once each year... the 95 model had done 760,000 km and same story except no repairs just the yearly services, both vans NEVER broke down and I have now changed to a Mercedes Vito and it has broken down 3 times in 18 months, done about 260,000 km and cost me about 5000 dollars in repairs. I must be lucky but I am definitely changing back to a Toyota as soon as I can. Why wasn’t someone there to stop me from making this very expensive mistake buying a non Toyota van? It didn’t help being ripped off by the dealer when we bought the Vito, It was even from an Australian Mercedes van dealer and they were real F#%*@ so and so’s. Go Toyota!

Submitted: 2009-09-29 | ID: 48053

Eamon McCoy, County Armagh

Toyota Hiace 2009

I have been driving the Toyota Hiace since 1987 and this is my 5th one. I have travelled over 500,000 miles, not one of my vans has ever been in the garage other than for its regular service. The fuel consumption may be a bit higher than others but this is a small price to pay.

Submitted: 2009-08-14 | ID: 48051

Lindsay, England

Toyota Hiace petrol 2.7litre 2001

The Toyota Hiace is a great van. In 8 years of ownership no repairs other than normal maintenance have been needed. The only thing it falls down on is the front suspension ball joints which seem to wear very quickly. However, some MOT inspectors will fail on this and some will not because the weight of the van takes up the play.

Your and other people’s enthusiasm has convinced me to go for a Hiace. I have found a petrol 2.7 2000 but I cannot find info re cambelt change (frequency and cost) or fuel consumption. Also mileage expectancy - do the petrol engines generally go for over 200,000 miles? If you can answer any of these questions I would be very grateful. Thanks - Adrian Fielding from Cornwall

Submitted: 2009-06-25 | ID: 48169

Jeff van Bueren, Renfrewshire

Toyota Hiace 2.4 diesel 2001

Had this van new from 2001. Very reliable van, no problems at all. Made much better than Fords,Vauxhall etc... Engine inside this van is made to last, same engine as used in the Hilux pick up truck they tried to destroy in Top Gear but couldn’t. Also this van is massive in Africa and Asia as it just keeps on going. Buy a Hiace if you want a super workhorse.

Submitted: 2009-04-27 | ID: 48171

Anthony, Devon

Toyota Hiace 102bhp D4D, Twin side loading doors 2002

Always had Mercedes, but went over to Toyota. Brilliant van, comfortable and economical (25 -29mpg fully loaded). I actually like the basic simplicity of the van, as a mobile mechanic it is very easy to keep interior clean with out the worry of damaging electrics. Also the van is robust and it’s rear wheel drive!! If you carry heavy loads, you’ve got to own a rear wheel drive van. Another little feature is the 2 position tail gate struts, allows you to raise the tailgate out of the way, which you can’t do on a Vito. Brilliant, no-nonsense van.

Submitted: 2009-02-16 | ID: 48172

Aidan, Worcestershire

Toyota Hiace 2002

Had to use one occasionally at my old place of work. Very dated looking van inside and out, but it had 180,000 miles on it and performed perfectly, it was very comfortable and had enough power in it (d-4d model), unlike many of the newer diesels it had a good amount of torque at idle like the old transits, if the newer shape/facelift model has a new interior too its well worth a look. Just read about the faults with the equivalent transit, Vivaro, Transporter etc.

Submitted: 2009-01-02 | ID: 48173

Graham Voss, Buckinghamshire

Toyota Hiace Super Custom Limited 1994

What a motor. Having always been a Volvo driver I was dubious at buying this as a campervan version. I imported it from Japan and, with 19,000 miles on the clock at 14 years old, with no rust it was a steal of a bargain. The 2.8 diesel automatic is as smooth as silk, though quite sluggish. There is a turbo model available and worth the extra expense. Fuel economy is rather poor at 22mpg overall. Then again the campervan version weighs over 2 ton so not bad I suppose. The ride comfort is superb, like riding in an armchair. The position is good, high up, though I would have lied more in front of me. The handling is smooth and positive. Parts are readily available despite it being an import and quite old. Maximum waiting time is 2 days for all major bits. This is a vehicle that you change your driving habits with. You have to notch yourself down a peg and enjoy the ride.

Submitted: 2008-11-21 | ID: 48166

Marc Binnie, Angus (Forfarshire)

Toyota Hiace All models since 1996 2008

I’ve worked in the Toyota dealer network for over 10 years now, recently coming away from that to try other things, I’ve run and worked on many of these vans, some with more miles than the enterprise, more hits than the Beatles but still they keep going!! in 10 years I’ve seen one gearbox bearing fail, 2 injection pumps fail, a handful of water pumps, a few vacuum hoses, one coil spring and one exhaust silencer bracket break. most of these failed under warranty. the Hiace can sometimes be a bit sluggish when loaded up, and fuel economy isn’t great. one bad point on these vans is the top arms, the upper ball joint wears, and depending on where the MOT is done it will fail, repair bill is about £600 quid, but only usually needs done once in around 130k miles, a remarkably van, tried and tested and just as tough as a Hilux!

Hi Marc, what kind of milage would you see such wear and how would you check for this? jack her up? I’m thinking of buying a 2004 with 77k on clock, Regards - Alex Mac from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 2008-09-24 | ID: 48167

Dougie Jones, England

Toyota Hiace 2007

Fantastic, reliable van with good fuel consumption and great dealer backup.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 48165

• A response has been made to Griffyn (14/10/2014 11:57:06)
  • A response has been made to Paul McCormick (22/09/2014 11:48:27)

• Clare's question has been answered: "its a smell of burning clutch need to change clutch plate and pressure plate - joe from New Zealand' '..." (14/11/2014 20:15:28)
  • ken's question has been answered: "Gearbox mount - Steve from Australia' '..." (26/10/2014 08:03:26)

Renault Trafic