Toyota Corolla Verso consumer car reviews and road tests

Toyota Corolla Verso consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007

Toyota Corolla Verso consumer car reviews

Malcolm Leicester-Smith, Kent

Toyota Corolla Verso 2.00 T3 D4D 2005

I bought the car in August with 55K on the clock. The build quality is impressive and it delivers a comfortable drive. Within days of purchasing this car the engine mangement light came on then the traction off light and VSC light. It then went into safe mode. Since then the car has done this about 3 or 4 times a day and it’s difficult to predict when it will happen. I’ve been to various mechanics and Toyota dealers, the code that comes up is internal leak yet We’ve had the internal diesel leakage pipe replaced and the injector seals, but it still has the same problems. The car also is difficult to start if it’s parked on a slope. We are still no further forward finding the fault and the code lists approx. 10 problems; replace injectors, replace common fuel rail, replace fuel pump etc., the list goes on. We are now in dispute with the dealer and the warranty company. This is the last Toyota I’m ever buying. I should have stuck to Nissan!

We are in exactly the same boat. Had the car 11 months, done 53,000 miles. THe VSC and TRC lights as well as the engine light are on. Garage says we have to replace injectors and EGR valvle. Warranty company are in dispute!! - from England

Got a 1.8 SR 2009 model. Bought it from new and MMT gearbox has been terrible. Complained to Toyota and they said that there are no faults with the gearbox. Please note that they no longer use this gearbox on any of their range. Now the clutch light comes on randomly and been told by my race mechanic that the vehicles are fitted with a poor clutch and should fit the Celica clutch and that they are manufactured wrong. In my eyes the gearbox is not safe to use due to random gear changes at junctions. After 4 years it’s time to move on - Ricky Theodore from Kent

Submitted: 2011-11-29 | ID: 48019

A Goni, England

Toyota Corolla Verso T-Spirit MMT 2004

I bought the Verso new in 2004. The car is very good for comfort and was the ideal car my family, except for the dreaded problem with the MMT System. 3 years into ownership, it Kept breaking down with the car staying on neutral. I had to pay for a new MMT. Toyota wanted £2800. In the end I paid £1500. Toyota never admitted that this car has a fault with the MMT. They did a customer satisfaction recall, which aparently is not a recall. Mine went in to the garage in February 2010. I was told I was getting a new MMT. This did not perform any better and within a year, apart from the usual jerking when a gear is changing, the clutch started slipping and the car not starting up. I took it in for a diagnostic and I was told the MMT hadn’t been replaced. The Romford Toyota Garage only changed the actuator control box. I took the car to Woodford Toyota and they said the whole MMT should have been changed as the parts fitted when I paid for the MMT replacement in 2007 was the old parts which are faulty. I phoned Customer relations and they agreed to pay for the ECU only. I dad it changed, but it only made the car worse. Woodford Toyota say the actuator needs changing as it is wearing down the clutch. Despite the appropriate work not being carried out during the recall, Toyota customer relations refuse to change the clutch actuator. I am looking at a £2000+ bill!

Submitted: 2011-09-26 | ID: 48018

Wale, Kent

Toyota Corolla Verso 2.0 D-4 2004

Bought this car at 83000 miles in 2007 and the Engine Management lights lit up on the dashboard after about 4 months. Toyota dealers said the diagnosis report was faulty glow plugs and reset the EMU. Lights came on again within days and same diagnosis. I took it for a service at an independent garage and they expressed doubts that there was any problem with the glow plugs. 4 harsh winters later with first time starts every morning, it is clear that there is no problem with the car’s glow plugs but lights have stayed on. A/C unit bearings started failing and car developed a terrible rattle. Toyota wanted £1200.00 to repair. Also Diesel started leaking into the engine badly. Toyota garage wanted £700.00 to replace some rail accross the top of the engine. Took car into independent garage and £40.00 later car is given an all clear in terms of any leaks, EMU is suspected to be causing oversupply of diesel. Another £150 secures a temporaryu fix to AC problem whilst a second hand unit is searched for. AC eventually failed completely and rattle stopped. Bliss. Even if it means sweaty summers. Hey, who cares I saved £1200.00. I can get a lot of Pina Colladas for that. Latest issue is car Shudders violently at start with no fuel supply and engine runs rough with no power. Called AA out, diagnosis, yeah you guessed it, faulty glow plugs. The experienced AA mechanic had never seen anything like it but confirmed there was no way it had anything to do with the glow plugs. I have stopped taking the car to Toyota and accept I have a car that lights up more than a christmas tree. I will run this car ’til it gives up the ghost and will never again touch a Toyota with a barge pole. Apologies to anyone hoping for a resale value on their Toyota. Look on the bright side, it will always have a higher scrap value than if sold as a runner, afterall: AC - £1200 Mystery rail - £700 Glow plugs...who knows but must be worth your while,etc. My Toyota is not going to be your Toyota.

If you search the net, there are many reports of toyota d4d glow plugs lighting up warning lights vsc trc and emu. This happeden me a few years back and dealer said glow plugs. Car was still in warranty but they refused. Now it’s happened again and like a fool I went back to dealer. They said it was glow plugs again and needed to do air bag recall job and would look into replacing under warranty - all positive talk and letting me think it would all be taken care of. On collecting the car, they wanted my credit card and said they had not yet cleared the warranty replacement with Toyota Ireland. I refused and in the argument, his colleague let it slip they are consumables and would not be warranty parts after 1 year use. They would not let me leave with the car so they put old plugs back in. Called me next day to say he found my invoice and it was dated ’03 so there was no possibility of warranty. The car is ’04 and never was the date of previous replacement mentioned before as a requirement to warranty. I had said it was about 4 years ago and initially was just looking for a quote. I believe they knew if they quoted me I would have just gone to independent mechanic. They were generating business in a very cheeky way. I’m in the process of changing them myself and interested in the possibility of it not being a glow plug issue at all. Fitzpatricks garage naas ireland are to be avoided even if it is glow plug issue. That’s sharp practice - Noel Donohoe from Ireland

Submitted: 2011-02-13 | ID: 48016

Damien Kelleher, Ireland

Toyota Corolla Verso 1.6 2005

I have a Corolla Verso, 70k km on it. The engine failed over Christmas and it’s going to cost £4000 to repair the engine. It is 5 years old and out of warranty. Absolute madness! Oil was due a change at 12 months mark but still an engine should not fail if only one month overdue a service. Rightly p***ed off and boycotting Toyota now for the rest of my life. Don’t buy this car, if you have one change the oil every 6 months or it will fail. It’s known that these fail in the trade and the engine never outlasts the bodywork. 4k can buy me a 10 year old Merc with better reliability!

Submitted: 2011-01-20 | ID: 48015

James Lewins, Warwickshire

Toyota Corolla Verso d4d 2006

I have had my Corolla for 4 years and 55,000 miles when the bearings in the gear box went. Toyota wanted £1400 to repair it but did offer to do it for £700 as a gesture. Surely gear boxes should last much longer??? My old Ford Orion lasted for 180,000 miles same engine/gear box and clutch!!

Submitted: 2010-09-29 | ID: 48013

Simon Cooper, Somerset

Toyota Corolla Verso Manual 2005

I bought the verso as an ex demonstrator from a Toyota dealer. Apart from a few minor niggles it was ok until 60k miles. Driving on a dual carriage way with my family the gear box failed dramatically, causing loss of power and violent juddering. I was shaken in all senses of the word. The only reason I went with Toyota was the supposed reliability. I would be interested to speak to others who had similar problems, I think this is a safety issue, Toyota don’t. Please email me simcooper@hotmail.co.uk

Submitted: 2010-09-08 | ID: 48014

Jones Craig, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8vvti t3 manual 2005

I bought this car from new in 2005 and it has been an excellent and reliable family car offering good handling and plenty of internal room. That was until last Friday when at 4yrs and 6 mth old (62k mileage) the gearbox ceased on me in the middle of our high street. I have serviced this car from new with a Toyota Dealer and my driving consists of regular commutes to work with no towing what so ever and would expect the gearbox to last considerably longer than 4yrs. On review it would appear that it is not an isolated incident and there are several other verso owners with manual boxs that have had similar gearbox problems at around the 50-60k mark. I’m awaiting what Toyota Customer Services will do for me and will keep you posted.

Submitted: 2010-01-31 | ID: 48010

Joy, London

Toyota Corolla Verso MMT T spirit 2004

What a waste of hard earned money! Bought new with extras with view of reliability & durability. I was conned and made to believe it works like an automatic by the salesmen at the showroom, however, less than 3 months later I’ve had countless problems with the MMT gearbox followed by recalls i.e., safety air bags etc. ’Til now, no Joy despite recent recall,the car has been back to the garage twice within 6 weeks with the same problem while, some of the staff at the service dept. were very rude & unapproachable at any attempts to get through for assistance. Toyota has now burst the bubble, I’ve counted & accept my loss, as it’s shameful & very dangerous stalling to N on a motorway daily. I,m now searching for a new reliable family car, definitely not Toyota group.

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 48011

Alan Wells, Bedfordshire

Toyota Corolla Verso T3 D-4D 2007

Diesel version with 6 speed box gives excellent consumption. Normally get around 49 mpg. Did a fully loaded run between Boulogne & Dunkirk and returned 74.4 mpg at average speed of 66.6 mph. Check tilt & slide mechanism on rear seats, mine broke on both seats but was fixed under warranty. Turning circle is poor but improved on ’09 models. Toyota no longer fits roof rails and roof bars only mount 2 foot apart, no good for long items! I have to consult handbook to refit luggage cover. I often do 600 mile trips and have ditched the skinny wheel in favour of a standard steel wheel & tyre. Otherwise very happy with the Verso.

Submitted: 2010-01-14 | ID: 48012

Dave Martin, Lothians

Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 T3 2005

Have this family car on a 4 year lease. Comes to an end later this year. Have had no problems at all - Solid, reliable car and have used the 3rd row of seats on quite a few occasions. Ideal for kids. One word of warning - the cover over the boot is a right pain to take out when you use the 3rd row. When I went to car showrooms, I did wonder why this was seldom in place. The only other bug bear is the poor turning circle - not great. One extra I would recommend is the Rear Parking Sensors - makes parking very easy. Really going to miss this car when the lease is up. Will I get another - perhaps.

Submitted: 2009-05-21 | ID: 48026

Don Dewar, Kent

Toyota Corolla Verso 2.0D T2 2005

55 PLATE. I’ve now done 106,000 miles with no problems except in the last 6 months it sticks in 1stvfirst thing in morning, then clears. Great economy, enough room for 2 x 13 year-olds and 2 older teenagers plus the wife, and me. Just don’t expect to fit luggage in as well! A little noisy on motorways, lots of mid range punch and sure footed means I’d happily get another.

Submitted: 2008-07-11 | ID: 48022

Tariq Ali, Kent

Toyota Corolla Verso 2004

It looks very good family car, but how do you feel when MMT stops working in the middle of the road and you can not move. It occurs so often that you have to get rid of this vehicle, as even after changing the gear box, problem persists! and there is no solution.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 48023

Charlie Egan, Somerset

Toyota Corolla Verso 2.0 D-40 T-Spirit 2005

Great family car, bought this used just over a year ago and it’s been one of the best buys I’ve ever made. A really solid spacious car that is totally reliable and very reasonable to run. I’d recommond this car to anyone, can’t see me needing to change it for some time as it’s so durable.

Submitted: 2008-04-20 | ID: 48024

Paul Tytherington, Worcestershire

Toyota Corolla Verso 1.8 VVT-i T Spirit 5 dr 2007

This could be a great car, however, after countless problems with the MMT gearbox (and I know I’m not the only one!!) I have decided to cut my losses and get rid as I am no longer confident for my wife and children to travel in it. Great shame.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 48025

• Ghervack McGuire's question has been answered: "Does the engine indicator light on your dashboard? If so, this sounds similar to a problem I have had twice with an identical car. In my case the prob - NorWind from Norway' '..." (15/04/2014 15:49:25)
  • Kamran Baig's question has been answered: "It’s the little gate valve in the turbo sticking ecr valve. I had same get it flushed out it will be fine. - Bob Smith from Dorset' '..." (19/01/2014 08:44:40)

Volkswagen Golf