Subaru Outback consumer car reviews and road tests

Subaru Outback

Subaru Outback consumer reviews by year of make:2001 2003 2007 2008 2009

Subaru Outback consumer car reviews

Tom Westend, Scotland

Subaru Outback LUX Pack 2001

The Subaru Outback Automatic, What a piece of junk! Words cannot express my disappointment at this so called "car". I have owned many cars over the years and thought I would try Subo (as I like to call them) as they seemed to have a brilliant reputation for build quality and of course the rally wins! Now I have one I can’t get rid of it quick enough! To start this car had a full service history by one doctor owner, I bought it off him. I had hoped to tow a caravan (2.5 litre after all), but the handbook seems to discourage this, mentioning overheating transmission all the time. I have now discovered why - the damn car over heats normally! The steering wobbles manically at 55mph and above, and I have now found out this is a design fault that cant be cured! Even brand new Subo’s have this fault! Don’t even mention the abismal brakes. How the hell do Subaru sell these things? And to so many Doctors!

Whoa lad, hang on. "Even brand new Subarus" have this steering fault of wobbling maniacally at 55mph. Tom, I’m sorry about your bad experiences - but if ALL Subarus are like this sales would stop next week. They just aren’t and it’s very obvious you are filled with gross disappointment that makes your cliche filled review lack any objectivity. Mine is a 3.6 litre 2010 Outback with 53,000kms on the clock that has been faultless, even driving it in dusty outback Australia. Overheating is unknown with Subos (as you like to call them) here. It’s been English cars that traditionally overheat and break apart, hence the lack of a British motoring industry of any note. I know you want to lambast Subaru as a company but how did the good doctor 1st owner manage to hide its faults from you? - Steve Crocker from England

Submitted: 2012-04-30 | ID: 47481

Peter, London

Subaru Outback 2.0 REN 2009

Overall a superb car with considerable engineering integrity. On a recent trip to the Yorkshire Dales, the Outback had no trouble scaling a snow covered 25% gradient without any fuss. It has some annoying niggles such as over eager engine re-immobilisation, distinctly average stereo, gap between 1st and second gear and an overpriced navigation software upgrade. It also has some great strengths including a willing and sonorous (for a diesel!) engine, smooth ride and good handling topped off by understated, but good looks. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a well engineered, rugged estate car with reasonable running costs.

Submitted: 2012-01-13 | ID: 47480

Paul Stewart, County Antrim

Subaru Outback RE 2.0 D 16v 2009

I Love, Love, Love my Outback 2.0D RE! I bought it new in August 2009,and honestly I can’t fault the car in anyway. Mine is a Steel Sliver Met example, and it looks fantastic in this colour. I’d say this colour is the pick of the range! The standard alloy wheels on it look really beautiful, and really smart. Even the spare in the boot is an alloy and the fit and finish inside the cabin of the Outback is of Audi standard. I used to own two Audi A4 Tdi’s one 110bhp and the other 150bhp and I really think Audi’s are rather overrated now compared to the Outback. The real test for the Outback came,when we had that awful cold snap and deep snow that lasted right through ’til well after Christmas! My Outback took it all in its stride, sticking to the road like glue and had no problem climbing the steep hill where I live, whilst Audi and BMW drivers COULDN’T MAKE IT UP!!! The only disavantage is we only have two dealerships in the whole of N.Ireland, but other than that I’m very well pleased so far with my car. would I buy another one? would I recommend one? YES and YES! The only thing I don’t like is the brand new 2010 model onwards, I don’t think it looks half as good as the 2009 model it replaced! I’d score my car 10/10*, it’s the best car I’ve ever owned!

Yes Paul, I’ll agree the 2009 and earlier models look better than my 2010. A concession to the American market unfortunately. But I must say the extra 4 inches of leg room in the back is wonderful when the kids get a little rangier. Also, the 3.6L 6 cylinder motor is a gem for towing a trailer/small van. It gets 7.5litres/100kms on a steady 112kph (70mph) cruise (not towing) which is significantly better than the 3.0L of the earlier model. And the top of the line McIntosh stereo in the Premium version of the car is a lovely classy unit. The car certainly has that premium feel about it - Steve Crocker from England

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 47478

John, Leicestershire

Subaru Outback 2.0d REN 2009

My recent cars have been high spec diesel BMW 5 Series and Audi A6/A4 Estates. Times have been tough more recently, so its been necessary to be a bit sensible. I had often admired the Outback from afar for the practicality it offers, good spec and slightly left field appeal. But why would you have one when you could have a £40k BMW? Well now I can’t, so I did get one. The car has been absolutely great and I have to say that on balance I am not missing my previous car at all. It’s comfortable, practical, has all the toys (which would have cost £7k+ in options on an A4 Allroad), rides exceptionally well, handles great and I got a fantastic deal on it. The quality of the interior is not quite up there with BMW/Audi, but its not like Japanese cars of old and it certainly has a premium feel. I was a little dubious about the claimed mpg, but I have managed to average 52-54mpg on a few longish motorway/dual carriageway runs no problem and I am regularly getting 44-48 in every day driving. It has also proved to be a very good amateur lumberjack’s companion, being great at crossing fields to recover sawn trees for the log burner at home....something the 5 Series was not good at to be honest! Get one, you would not be disappointed. I am not convinced by the new shape one mind you. A backwards step in many ways I feel.

Submitted: 2009-11-22 | ID: 47476

Steve, Yorkshire

Subaru Outback DRE 2008

I bought this car following 8 happy years with a BMW 320 dse. The Subaru engine is a lot quieter than the BMW and is a lot more powerful (my BMW was the 136 bhp version).The build quality of the BMW was seemingly of a higher quality, everything felt more solid, especially the interior plastics, but it had to have 2 electric window motors and a front shock absorber replaced in the first 3 years so perhaps it flattered to deceive. I have had the car for 11 months now & have covered just over 10000 miles. My average fuel consumption is 43 mpg overall which includes about 4500 towing a 1460 kg caravan around France and England. Solo it regularly returns 50+ mpg which I think is amazing for a 4wheel drive car. The car has a very high spec when compared to other cars of the same basic price, BMW 3,Audi A4,Merc C class. Trying to match the Subaru spec on these cars will easily bump the prices north of £30000. The real plus for me was the ’free’ 4 wheel drive.

Submitted: 2009-11-17 | ID: 47477

Dudley Edmunds, Hertfordshire

Subaru Outback H6 2003

All round excellent car. Great specification, very smooth auto box and good performance after my Land Rover. Petrol consumption higher than expected from test reports however.

Submitted: 2008-07-25 | ID: 47483

Art McFall, Oxfordshire

Subaru Outback 2007

Wow, superb in every department except for fuel economy - only 23mpg! I had one on a short-term lease for 3 months while waiting for my company car to be delivered. It’s a stunning car. Great stereo, huge specification: leather, electric everything, it’s very comfortable yet sporty too. Superb build quality, I think this is one of the best value cars you can get. The 3.0-litre boxer six is so smooth, the auto box is a perfect match. If only they could make a diesel so I could get one as a company car.

Submitted: 2007-11-23 | ID: 47485

Gareth Ormond, Flintshire

Subaru Outback 3.0 5dr 2007

I was pleasantly surprised when I first test drove this car, I wasn’t actually expecting that much from it but it’s a really fantastic estate and much overlooked. I will be taking delivery of my new car in 2 days time and I’m really looking forward to driving it again. You really need to test drive one of these to fully appreciate how good it is.

Submitted: 2007-11-22 | ID: 47484

• A response has been made to Tom Westend (30/04/2012 21:37:18)
  • A response has been made to Paul Stewart (13/03/2011 20:50:56)

Subaru Outback

2.0 D RE 2009 - The Outback is the flagship crossover model of the Subaru range and deservedly so. It’s a multi talented estate car with increased ride height, advanced symmetrical all wheel drive and now a fabulous 2.0 boxer diesel engine; the 1st of its kind and it is a masterpiece. It’s really hard to find fau [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report