SsangYong

21 April 2014

SsangYong Kyron consumer car reviews and road tests

SsangYong Kyron

SsangYong Kyron consumer reviews by year of make:2006 2007 2008 2009 2011

SsangYong Kyron consumer car reviews

Ken Rouvray, Australia

SsangYong Kyron 2.7 ltr Automatic 2006

I traded a V6 Toyota Camry to purchase the Kyron new January 2007. Purchased the 2.7 engine over the 2.0 I have driven 105000kms in it, some off road, and generally cannot fault. I consider the Kyron a better vehicle that the so called experts do. I have it serviced as per the service book. The only trouble I have had is the Turbo inlet hose came off in a cloud of black smoke. After re conection I get a noise on the "drift" like a baffe plate has been broken in the exhaust system by can live with it. Drive one then drive a Toyota, lastly if you are still not in favour of the Kyron, look at the price difference for what you get.

Submitted: 2014-02-06 | ID: 47369

Elges Presley, Malaysia

SsangYong Kyron Diesel 2006

I have been driving SsanYong Kryon for almost seven years, there are two problems coming up; The temperature seems to be rising a bit higher than half and secondly the piston-valves make a vibrating sound when starting and running on low-gears, 1 and 2, after that it’s all smooth.

Your air mass sensor on the air box requires cleaning or worst case replacing. When the sensor plays up it sends incorrect readings to the computer and in turn the computer will either enrich or lean off the fuel supply. When this happens you will find the car labour when driving off which will cause the valve clatter and also you will find the car hesitates between 2000 to 2500 rpm. Sometimes you excessive exhaust smoke can be caused by the mass sensor. - John Dummler from Australia

Submitted: 2013-07-14 | ID: 47367

Will Bayley, Australia

SsangYong Kyron 2011

I have been driving Toyota Landcruisers for 15 years and I love them, but I don’t love the price. We looked at many reviews and were amazed at the amount of flack from people who have never driven one. I am impressed with my Kyron from the visual aspect to the seating, which is excellent. I like the rigid chassis in 4wd vehicles and what I save from not getting into a new Landcruiser in diesel and hard cash over 5 years will be around $50.000 plus, including what I will lose on selling a Korean vehicle. I love the drive and the look and my deisel savings, so am I happy? You bet I am! My advice is buy one and give it a try. We service every five thousand ks and have little problems with any of our four vehicles.

Submitted: 2012-06-25 | ID: 47365

Sefik Tas, Turkey

SsangYong Kyron 4x4 diesel A/T 2008

I have 2008 Kyron. It’s great, a reliable and very solid car with lots of luxuries. It’s also relatively silent. The only problem I had was a transmission speed sensor failure. The service guys cleaned up the wire connectors. I’m still checking the car, but so far nothing has happend and I hope will not again.

Submitted: 2011-08-18 | ID: 47366

Kelvin Ramsook, Trinidad and Tobago

SsangYong Kyron 2006

I have a 2006 model Kyron and after 120000km I experienced numerous problems: AC fail, air bag fail, had to replace glow plugs as well as injectors; one glow plug was stuck in the engine. The differential fails; it seem that the Sangyong may have a defect with the differential. At this time I have to repair the engine. The service is very poor and Ssangyong agents are no help.

I have had a Kyron now for 3 years. There are a good few faults that happen to them all. The diff broke in back axle, out of warrenty, this cost 1,500 euros. Window regulator broke and there are 2 solenoides for the turbo that cost 150 euro each and all of them get these faults at some time. Stay away, pile of s**t - Andrew Crowdle from Ireland

Submitted: 2011-05-19 | ID: 47363

Wojtek Bialek, Poland

SsangYong Kyron 2.0 xdi auto 2007

Perfect family vehicle. Relaxed drive, nice comfort and huge boot. Have had it for 3 years already, only minor problems. Mine is off-road tuned with skid-plates, suspension lift and bigger O/R tires, quite capable off-road in comparison to moder SUVs. Would buy again.

Dear friend I’m looking for Kyron lift kit. What did you use? - Mauro B from Brazil

Submitted: 2011-05-12 | ID: 47361

Nomal Wijeyaratne, Sri Lanka

SsangYong Kyron 2008

My motoring life started with a brand new Honda Civic back in the mid 80’s when I was just out of university & working my first business. Back then Honda was decisively ahead in the driving pleasure from other Japanese cars or in the price category. Back then Honda was nick named ’The Japanese BMW’ & I saw why. The next two opportunities would have it that I will end up owning used BMW. From there it would take me to Ssangyong Kyron which seemed an odd one to move on to from what I was driving. Due more to my wife’s liking of SUV’s rather than my decisiveness on the choice, here I was, with a Korean SUV, older Mercedes technology at a price of a car. Though i am more a car person for reasons of driving pleasure & handling, Sri Lankan roading does seem to suit more off road type vehicles. Few weeks on and the Kyron is growing on me. Two years and 35,000km later the vehicle has grown on me to the extent it has become my toy. The firm feel, rolling over the bumpy roads, the leathery soft feel of the 2 lire turbo diesel motor with the help of a X1R additives in the engine oil & the fuel makes the vehicle as desirable to drive as any mass produced vehicle that is on the roads of Sri Lanka today. Kyron to me means motoring pleasure without the financial extravagance & the pleasures of driving enhanced with space technology of the worlds best motor additive to make dreams come true.

Submitted: 2010-03-15 | ID: 47360

Karen Brotherton, Northumberland

SsangYong Kyron 2009

What can I say? Comfort, style, luxury, quality, excellent value for money, very responsive, first car I’ve had with 4wd and it’s amazing, not too bad on fuel either, mine being the 2l diesel. Wow. The only fault I have with this car is the clock on the dash, I hate it being split in two, but that is my only issue, but it’s neither here nor there. Everywhere you go it attracts attention and turns heads, the amount of friends and strangers that have also complimented me on this amazing vehicle is unbelievable. I am well impressed and will recommend this amazing vehicle to all I come into contact with. If you are after a new car, don’t decide yet until you test drive one for yourself, then I guarentee you will be hooked!!! I PROMISE!!!

Recently bought a Kyron (Manufactured in Dec 2008). All reasonable except that the vehicle causes me as the driver and the passenger to become car sick. From all the reports I have read to date, there is a fundamental problem with the suspension tuning, which no doubt is the cause for the motion sickness I am experiencing. Would be interested to know if anyone has had or is having a similar experience. For this reason (problem suspension) could not recommend this vehicle to any prospective buyer. There are better SUV’s available for a similar price - Ludwig Hirche from Australia

Submitted: 2010-01-31 | ID: 47358

Stephen Whitcombe, England

SsangYong Kyron 2007

Hi from South Africa, Ssangyong, not a very popular vehicle in SA, it has however attracted me by the relatively cheaper price in comparison to other SUV’s. The extras are excellent, diesel power is always a better option, seeing the price of petrol in SA. 4X4 power is excellent for trekking off road in the SA bush. Very comfortable, very spacious with enormous amount of space in the boot. Definitely not a car that you see often on the road but then again, why would you want to drive the same old same old as everybody else - Service history all in order - Recommend BIG TIME!!!!!! (Had to select England - SA not available).

Submitted: 2008-12-19 | ID: 47371

Martin Barratt, Nottinghamshire

SsangYong Kyron 2.0 SE 4WD 5dr 2007

This is a really great car, great to drive and very reasonable to run. Looks good and you’re not likely to see one everytime you turn a corner. Well done Ssang Yong.

Submitted: 2007-09-29 | ID: 47370

• "My fob on my SsangYong Kyron will not disarm the alarm but I can still drive the vehicle with the key. How do I disarm the alarm manually please? ..." (Godfrey Hughes, 11/02/2014 10:28:32)
  • "Hi, I’m using a Sri Lankan assembled SsangYong Kyron and I have 2 significant issues.. When I turn the key to start it the engine does not respond fo..." (Tuan Razdeen Amit, 10/02/2014 16:25:53)
  • "Where is the temperature sensor situated on a 2.0 lt diesel auto SsangYong Kyron? It does not appear to be in the usual places?..." (Phid Lynch, 09/01/2014 09:09:50)
  • "My SsangYong Kyron has a problem with starting when the temperature goes below 10c at night. The garage says the battery is fine. It jump starts firs..." (Val Walkinshaw, 12/11/2013 12:11:23)
  • "There is a smell of burning from the engine of my SsangYong Kyron. I mainly notice this after short journeys. There are no lights on in the dash. Any..." (Deborah, 08/01/2013 10:16:56)

• Michael Pett's question has been answered: "Michael, I have had my Kyron for three years from new and have had quite a few electrical problems including HDC problem. It is normally cured by diag - Brian Eardley from Staffordshire' '..." (08/02/2013 07:57:11)
  • Deborah's question has been answered: "Changed the fuel filter and the burning smell seems to have gone. Read that a clogged fuel filter can create fumes and strange smells so I gave it a g - Steve Fay from Lancashire' '..." (18/01/2013 14:51:27)

Vauxhall Antara