Skoda Octavia Estate consumer car reviews and road tests

Skoda Octavia Estate

Skoda Octavia Estate consumer reviews by year of make:2000 2001 2004 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Skoda Octavia Estate consumer car reviews

Alex, England

Skoda Octavia Estate Scout 2.0TDi 2011

Bought my Skoda new. There was a long delivery time and the dealer wasn’t very good at communicating delays. When the car finally arrived 11 months later it took me about a month to realise I’d made a mistake. The engine was very noisy compared with other VAG 2.0 CR diesels (my test drive was in a PD version and the dealer assured me that the CR version that I would get would be much quieter - turned out to be about the same). Apart from the noise, there was a clutch pedal vibration and notchy clunky noisy gear change, which spoiled the driving experience. The two dealers I tried were useless for sorting this out too - it seems they need to find a "smoking gun" fault before they can warranty order any parts from Skoda. I also found the front seats a bit narrow and the boot lip very high; it’s not a proper estate car in that respect despite having a big boot. Otherwise it was a good solid car, no rattles, fairly economical (45mpg typically) and towed my 1200kg caravan reasonably well. 4WD system seemed to work well in slippery conditions. I liked the Bolero radio and the parking sensors were good as well. Headlights (not Xenons) were good and the brakes were powerful and predictable. Handling and ride were fairly good. Sold it after about 6 months for a small profit so I can’t really complain.

Submitted: 2013-04-18 | ID: 47232

Peter Green, Lincolnshire

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9TDI Elegance 2004

Submitted: 2013-03-01 | ID: 47225

Kol Eastbourne, Sussex

Skoda Octavia Estate SE+TDI CR 2012

I bought my Skoda Octavia SE+TDI CR on 27 Dec 2012 from new. To start with the rear wiper didn’t work and the heated mirrors didn’t work either. I have now had the car for less than a month, with only 407 miles on the clock yet yesterday a knocking noise from the engine developed. I took it to the main dealers and they sent a report to Skoda. Skoda said that they are aware of the problem (a pre injections fault), but they don’t know how to fix it, so guys be aware!

Lucky it is new and you can use the 3 year unlimited km warranty. - :) Tom from Australia

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 47226

Johnny Fartpants, Sussex

Skoda Octavia Estate Elegance 1.9tdi 2008

Just been through 100,000 miles this week. Car’s bullet-proof. Other than servicing and consumables, it’s needed just two head lamp bulbs (£20).

Submitted: 2012-07-03 | ID: 47224

Anne Rawlings, Devon

Skoda Octavia Estate Classic 2007

A nightmare of a car - very disappointed. I bought this car (classic estate) 18 months ago. I chose it because I wanted a solid reliable eonomical vehicle which would also transport my large dogs in the back. It did not come with remote locking and to open it you have to turn the key once to open the driver’s door and twice for all the rest and the boot. This proved to be a nightmare as it didn’t always work and sometimes would not lock or unlock properly for no apparent reason the windows would open and it drove me insane. The boot catch didn’t always secure properly so every time I shut it I had to check it was properly closed. With the back seats down there are two sharp protrusions where the back seats rest, which are very dangerous if the dogs got knocked against them so I had to invest in an expensive boot buddy to protect the dogs from injury (they are too big for a cage). At Christmas I found the drivers footwell full of water caused by a faulty bonnet cable grommet which cost £100 to locate and repair. The 60000 mile service was £350 then afterwards I was told I would need a new cambelt within 6 or so months at a cost of £450 if I wanted the water pump done at same time (recommended). The driver’s manual is not well written or it has possibly been translated badly. I hate this car and I am changing back to a Vectra Estate ASAP!!

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 47230

Derrick Firth, Yorkshire

Skoda Octavia Estate Elegance 1.8 2009

Now on my 5th Skoda having owned two Felicia Estates and three Octavia Estates, two being diesel, but my current car is petrol. I have not been able to fault any of them; build quality, drive quality and comfort have been first class. I had two Volkswagens prior to Skoda and they just do not compare, being overated and overpriced. My dealer is D.M.Keith Ltd in Ossett, West Yorkshire and nothing is too much trouble for them. Excellent! Will certainly be sticking with Skoda.

Submitted: 2011-12-12 | ID: 47229

Chris Abbott, Hampshire

Skoda Octavia Estate VRS TDI PD ESTATE 2006

I keep thinking I’ll change the car, but it does it all so well. I read a lot of criticism about the low boot floor and the fact that the seats do not fold flat. This is rectified by installing the dual boot floor option which is a good value addition on the VRS and removing the headrests which is easy peasy. I find these store ok under the front seats My full size touring cycle slides straight in and lies flat in the load bay. Plus storage under the floor too. Having owned my VRS from new I have mapped it and fitted Nuespeed roll bars and Bilstein dampers, which has made it quite a quality car. Love it to bits!!

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 47228

David Brennan, Berwickshire

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.8 20v turbo L&K 2000

How can I fault it. I bought this car in 2001, 6 months old with 5000 miles on it. I’ve had it now for 10 years and in that time I’ve travelled all over the British Isles, lived in France and covered most of western Europe. The car is still in perfect body condition and the only major work I’ve had to do was a front offside suspension leg in 2009 and a new clutch in 2010. Still the same exhaust! The car is regularly serviced, not by a main dealer, but by a very good reputable sole owner garage at a fraction of the cost usually associated. In France I found the car hard on tyres (French roads), but here in the UK no complaints. Fuel consumption on a run as high as 43 mpg but stop and start around 33 mpg. And the petrol engine runs as sweet as a nut. I am currently thinking of buying another L&K estate but with the auto DSG box and diesel; unfortunately they seem to be quite rare but that’s how highly I regard the Skoda Octavia. My other car is also a Skoda (Fabia).

Submitted: 2011-08-03 | ID: 47231

Jean Carlyle-Lyon, Devon

Skoda Octavia Estate Elegance 2007

We both love this car. We get fantastic MPG, the car is a joy to drive and all the little extras really help. I love the reversing sensors in these narrow roads in Devon. I drive 12 miles to work every day and get nearly 50 MPG even up and down hills and small roads. On longer runs we average 55 or more. We’ve had very good servicing from the Skoda garage and excellent help as well. Don’t know how long we will keep this car, but will be buying another Skoda.

Submitted: 2011-02-08 | ID: 47218

Peter Stevenson, Hampshire

Skoda Octavia Estate elegance 2010

Fantastic car, been driving for 47 years and at last the perfect car! I love it! I bought the 1.6 desiel, buy one and do yourself a favour!!!

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 47219

Peter Arundel, Staffordshire

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9TDi 2008

After years of driving Ford Focus estates, my new job came with a new car - a Skoda Octavia estate. First impressions weren’t favourable. Firstly, the front doors are very short so if you’re tall, as I am, the driver’s seat is pushed so far back that your shoulder is behind the B-pillar. Getting into the car involves an ungainly fall backwards into your seat. Getting out is equally undignified. Secondly the accelerator is floor mounted - a feature I dislike but which I will conceed may not bother most people. A couple of days later, a few more problems had been come to light. Most of these were niggling features which annoyed me but, again, may not trouble others. The fact that the doors and boot locked themselves as soon as you hit 10mph was incredibly frustrating since my job invovles stopping and removing items from the car and the boot at regular intervals and every time I would find that I had to get back into the car and press the master unlock switch. This feature was turned off for me by my local dealership at the same time as they reprogrammed the car to unlock all it’s doors when I pressed the key fob unlock button rather than just the driver’s door. With the above features modified to my satisfaction I began to quite enjoy the Skoda. It never felt quick but it’s acceleration was reasonably brisk, it’s handling predictable and reassuring (when the ASR system wasn’t causing me to headbutt the steering wheel . . .) and in general it behaved as a car should. Then the low oil level warning light came on. I was a bit surprised at this since the car was less than a month old and had done less than 3000 miles. I pulled over and checked the level. It was low. I topped it back up as soon as I could with the correct grade and kept an eye on it thereafter. This car burned oil only slightly slower than it burned diesel. At the first service I mentioned it. "Oh they all do that, sir, until the engine has bedded in" Well the oil consumption has reduced over the two years I have run the car but it’s still higher than I would expect and it is common across the entire fleet of Skodas run by my company. Once the oil consumption calmed down and the electronic niggles were allieviated, the Skoda became Just Another Car. It was competent but never felt special. And then it broke down. This was caused by a faulty fuel filter which leaked diesel onto the alternator drive belt which promptly shredded itself. In itself, this would be a minor problem fixed in an hour or two but a fragment of the shredded belt got into the camshaft drive belt causing it to skip a notch or ten. Result? A complete new top end; camshaft, followers, valves and guides. Five weeks after I got it back, it threw a rod. Result? Complete new engine under warranty. OK, the car had done 113,000 miles when it threw a rod but that’s no mileage for a modern engine that has been regularly dealer serviced. Also, it wasn’t a one off. Three other cars on the fleet had also thrown rods but they had all done so in the 90 to 100,000 mile range. I’m glad I didn’t buy this car . . .

Submitted: 2010-11-05 | ID: 47221

Richard Collins, Hertfordshire

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.6 TDi SE 2010

Had previously owned a Skoda Felicia Estate for several years as a second car for the Allotment and decided it was time to get a one sensible estate car rather than run two cars. Did my research, booked the test drive and took delivery of the new Octavia 1.6 TDi SE estate at the weekend. Under the current Skoda promotion they paid the VAT and with a few optional extras, i.e. metallic paint, leather intelligent steering wheel, full size spare wheel, I believe I have secured one of the best estate cars available for just over £16K. The engine is responsive with frugal fuel consumption turning in 50+ to the gallon already and only £35 a year road tax after the fist year which was free. The SE level of trim represents excellent value for money with great build quality and finish. Load space is excellent with additional storage areas throughout the car. The 1.6 TDi engine with its turbo charge gives the feel of a lot bigger engine with brisk acceleration and low cruising engine revs. The Skoda slogan to create Happy Customers is definitely their goal. No hard sell from the dealer and nothing appeared to be too much trouble. If only all car manufacturers had the same approach. In 35 years of motoring, this must be the most sensible car I have purchased.

Submitted: 2010-09-29 | ID: 47220

Mary Jones, Surrey

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 TDI 2001

We have owned our Octavia from new and have nothing but praise for it. It has been ultra reliable and a real work horse. In fact we love it so much that we have not been tempted to replace it all these years! Haven’t really found another family estate to match up to be honest. However we are now thinking of replacing it with a.... Skoda Octavia Scout after last winter! Highly recommend it and we are very happy drivers!

Submitted: 2010-09-10 | ID: 47222

Chris Randall, Nottinghamshire

Skoda Octavia Estate 2010

Hi all, just a few words about my Octavia estate, it’s sheer class. I’ve been driving vans for years and I wanted a change, something more comfortable and reliable with better performance to match..well what a car, my octavia is wonderful. I get all my gear in and I’m averaging 46mpg, never missed a beat and the performance is great even when fully loaded. I bought mine from Gordon Lamb (skoda) in Chesterfield, very happy with them and my car, i’ll definitely be buying another Skoda,and from them too. Look past the badge it’s a great car, build quality, performance, reliability, oh and they hold their money really well too. Yes I’m a happy driver.

Submitted: 2010-08-15 | ID: 47223

Iain McNeil, Dorset

Skoda Octavia Estate L&K Tdi PD 140bhp 2007

This is my 3rd Octavia diesel L&K in 6 years. All have been great cars and great value for money. My BIG gripe on my 57 Octavia is the fuel consumption is abysmal. The previous 23,000 mile 55 L&K, with the exact same spec, I was able to achieve up to 57mpg on a long motorway journey. The 30,000 mile 57 Octavia is lucky to reach 44mpg on a similar run. After Diagnostic tests showed all components were functioning normally, Skoda Customer Services washed their hands of the problem, and blamed my driving. NO MORE Skoda Octavias for me in future.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 47217

Kevin Wright, Essex

Skoda Octavia Estate VRS Diesel 2008

After 4 years of running various Jeeps, the (lack of) fuel economy, Road Tax levy and service costs were beginning to hurt! Sitting with my wife whilst we bought her a Roomster, a six months old VRS Estate, a car used by the garages FD, lured me in its direction. Three days and a 1/2 day test drive later I bought it. I thought it would be ages before I could enjoy a family estate but it happened from the word ’go’. Great performance, especially where it matters. like overtaking, build quality as good as or better than the Jeeps, and averages 40mpg, without driving as if I’m always on an economy run! As I write it’s two years old, I’ve had it for eighteen months and, after twice getting stuck on snow covered roads I was hankering after a 4x4 again. Enter the Octavia Scout, I should pick up my new one next week, having lost hardly anything on the VRS. Only two insignificant gripes: The bonnet release handle is tack plastic and not up to the job, every other time I use it it falls off and needs a rebuild; Secondly, the tip of the dipstick is black plastic, nigh on impossible to see the wet/dry oil level mark!

Submitted: 2010-03-01 | ID: 47216

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Skoda Octavia Estate Scout 2009

Few marques have a history like that of Skoda. Once with a high-rolling image to rival anything, Skodas had the prestige and clout to make them the choice of kings. Now you don’t need a kings ransom to own one of the most complete cars you could think of. They’ve given us an improved and enhanced version of the standard Octavia 4x4 Estate which will set you back just over £21,000 - so ’be prepared’ for a good report. In revising the suspension - which is an all important consideration for country folk wishing to venture off the beaten track - and raising the ride height too, Skoda have raised the bar. With the Octavia Scout you’re in good hands. Any Octavia is synonymous with good value motoring and this version builds on that reputation. There’s all the confidence that comes from solid engineering; giving a car that’s suited to most requirements, on and off road. You can go where other estates would either shake themselves to bits over rough terrain or get bogged down in a puddle. Nowhere near as ’rufty tufty’ as a Land Rover or as ’mountain goat’ as a little Suzuki, of course, - but, nevertheless capable of taking you into areas where you would need green wellies and a Barbour jacket: we’re talking here of a ’proper’ country car. You get the feeling that this Scout car is always on the lookout for the driver and passengers comfort and convenience - a testimony to the conceptual planning that’s gone into it. Seats are admirably comfortable and the view from the driving seat is a good one. Light enough to be nimble; solid enough to be reassuring, this versatile transportation package will appeal to many. On motorways, distant horizons beckon: on twisty roads you’re firmly pegged to the ground. This is a sophisticated and refined ’real world’ car with quality to rival any BMW: surely Skoda are on the verge of establishing a new world order. Like all Octavias, the Scout is noticeably well equipped and well prepared for any task. A comprehensive standard specification includes everything from a sump guard to protect when off-road, through comfort features galore like dual zone climate control and special Scout upholstery (thankfully not in khaki), to stylish alloy wheels and solid looking side protection strips plus bigger bumpers for the rough and tumble that it’s likely to encounter - not to mention ESP, ABS, DSR and all the other GCSEs you can think of. A pleasant surprise is yours as soon as you are underway. The diesel engine is refined and has a good and accessible powerband so you know there’s enough power to tackle any situation within reason. Available with a 1.8 TSI petrol engine, generating 160bhp, or a 2.0 TDI PD turbodiesel with an output of 140bhp, both engines drive through a six speed manual transmission and four-wheel-drive Haldex clutch system - the best in the business. This transfers power between front and rear wheels as and when required. There’s even a ’Hill Hold’ control to stop you rolling backwards on a hill start if you’re one of those inept drivers who have poor car control skills. One would think that such sophistication would mean heavy fuel consumption, but I’m pleased to be able to report that my diesel powered test car retuned over 45mpg despite being able to whizz along an autobahn at over 120mph if we had gone to Germany - and cruise control is standard, to make life easy for you on motorway trips. Giving a smooth and quiet ride at all times,this is a car that is relaxing to drive over long distances - and if your journey has taken you into the wilds where boulevard cruisers baulk at the first hint of an unmetalled track, the Scout will get you through. So, loaded to the gunwhales with the contents of a pals flat, we drove to his remote cottage. The Scout was confidence inspiring as we crossed the bleak wilderness of Shropshire’s Long Mynd as snow began to fall. These were treacherous conditions that left all ’ordinary’ cars slip - sliding wildly: the Scout took it all in it’s stride: we were well prepared to go anywhere. Taking advantage of the good ground clearance and broad spread of power we followed a dirt track and the competent quiet progress enabled us to enjoy the panorama of that vast landscape. The Scout is a vehicle that is highly competent offering engineering standards second to none - so it should easily survive the rigours of country use for years. I’m pleased to be able to tell you - the Skoda Scout is a good ’un: honest it is!

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 47215

Neil Munro, Ross and Cromarty Shires

Skoda Octavia Estate vrs td 2007

A great family car. It has the performance, space and spec of a car a few grand more expensive. Like Clare I would find the drop in boot floor a bit of a pain so I spent a few more pounds on a flat boot option. That is my only gripe. 2 years of ownership and no problems at all. Great for overtaking with predictable road manners. Super car, but keep it to yourself or they will put the price up.

Submitted: 2009-10-13 | ID: 47214

David Pratt, Surrey

Skoda Octavia Estate Elegance 2008

Easily the best "family-sized" estate on the road in the UK. So comfortable, everything is in just the right position (I’m 6’2") and so well-built. No rattles, no "zizzes", everything works like a well-oiled lock, and it’s so economical (50+mpg cruising the autobahn at 90mph+) . It is fast, smooth (except at VERY low revs - keep it above 1400rpm) and it cruises at whatever speed (on the continent, officer...!), thanks to it’s very high-geared 6-speed gearbox. And megabucks cheaper than the Passat estate which is probably it’s nearest rival for space and finish. Demolishes the old Skoda image with a vengeance. Well done the Czechs...

Submitted: 2008-11-27 | ID: 47233

Clare Howell, England

Skoda Octavia Estate 2008

Got to be the just about the worst diesel car I have driven. So uncomfortable and the drive is horrible; feels like it has not been tuned correctly. The boot is just terrible; being lower than normal estates which means you can’t put large items in without doing your back in. Electric window switch is too far away a really short person wouldn’t even be able to reach it. Accelerator pedal is to close to the interior so you keep putting your foot on the foot well side panel instead if not careful. Only good part are the brakes. Used to driving bigger heavier cars for very long distances for work so driving this was a big let down and left me with a bad back. If I was given one as a gift I would give it back.

You obviously don’t know what you are talking about, get yourself a Ford KA where you’ll feel more at home - Brian Briggs from Northumberland

Dear oh Dear! What an awful review. You clearly have absolutely no idea what you are talking about as these are quality vehicles. Also you must be tiny....I mean TINY - John Hunter from Essex

Are you absolutely sure you’ve got a Skoda Octavia, Clare? - Kevin Wright from Essex

This has to be a joke! Clare, this is a review page for a SKODA OCTAVIA ESTATE! Not sure what you’ve been driving but it can’t be one of these. I’ve owned a couple of these over the last 6 years and there is nothing that comes close in terms of value and build quality - Alan Duggan from Gloucestershire

Is this report a wind up? How can you be too short to reach the electric window control! I don’t recognise the car at all - Jean Carlyle-Lyon from Devon

I cannot reconcile this appraisal with my experiences at all. Just goes to show that you cannot please all of the people all of the time. Excellent. If Carlsberg made cars... - Tom Marshall from Staffordshire

Wow! Bad review. I’ve driven one and it was great. Mind you I’m no giant with small arms. - from Australia

Submitted: 2008-09-29 | ID: 47234

Michael Anderson, Northamptonshire

Skoda Octavia Estate 1.9 TDI 2008

Solidly constructed, very spacious and heaps of great equipment. A decent drive the performs well in all areas, every bit as good as the Vauxhall Astra and the Ford Focus.

Submitted: 2008-05-07 | ID: 47242

Jon Osbourne, Cornwall

Skoda Octavia Estate 2006

Had this car 2 years from new. 2.0 TDI 140bh. Brilliant car. Good acceleration for overtaking. Comfortable on long journeys. Very large carrying capacity. I grin at Passat and VW drivers who pay much more for what I am driving but mine is under a different skin .

Submitted: 2008-04-21 | ID: 47243

Des Macky, Gloucestershire

Skoda Octavia Estate 2.0 TDI PD vRS 5dr 2007

I can’t fault this car. Skoda have indeed come a long way. Comfortable, spacious, excellent handelling and looks pretty good too. Excellent value for money. Really pleased with my choice.

Submitted: 2007-09-21 | ID: 47244

• "When I lock my Skoda Octavia Estate all of the doors lock except the back door on the passenger`s side. I can still open it and then it sets off the ..." (Vikki Poore, 08/04/2014 16:02:46)
  • "David Rowe from Wiltshire has sent in a question on the Skoda Octavia Estate. When the front doors are opened, Water drips out of them onto ground..." (David Rowe, 03/04/2014 08:31:32)
  • "My husband has had to adjust the handbrake 3 or 4 times on our Skoda Octavia Estate since we bought it second hand about 6 months ago. We bought it f..." (Marianne Postins, 13/02/2014 12:14:23)
  • "I went out in my Skoda Octavia Estate, came back and parked up, went back out to the car an hour later and the car won’t start. It has a rotten egg s..." (Aaron Maynard, 03/02/2014 11:49:26)
  • "The car runs well. It has one big problem. The boot fills with water on a regular basis. How does one stop it? Has any thing been admitted by Skoda t..." (Gordon Farmer, 30/12/2013 18:19:29)

• Les Walker's question has been answered: "If you hold down the remote unlock button for a while, this can cause all windows to open if the control system has been programmed to do so. It is th - Kieron Day from Hampshire' '..." (12/03/2014 15:06:34)
  • David Rowe's question has been answered: "That’s common on many cars. Rain or condensation on the window glass exterior can get past the glass door seal, collects at the base of the door and d - Kieron Day from Hampshire' '..." (12/03/2014 14:56:07)

Skoda Octavia Estate

1.6 TDI CR Greenline - It appears to be a marriage made in heaven, on one side you have Skoda which appeal to the Guardian reading, sensible people concerned with the state of the country and the world, while you have the growing supply of green badged cars into the automotive market. Skoda’s own badge “Greenline” is now [...]

Road Test Reports Says 3.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Skoda Octavia Estate 1.6 TDI CR Greenline

Skoda Octavia Estate

1.8 TSI DSG - Skoda has earned itself a reputation in recent years as a manufacturer of reliable, practical cars that are proving popular with buyers who are prepared to think beyond the old, cruel jokes about the brand. The Czech carmaker has also done consistently well in customer satisfaction surveys over the [...]

An image of the Skoda Octavia Estate 1.8 TSI DSG