Skoda Octavia consumer car reviews and road tests

Skoda Octavia

Skoda Octavia consumer reviews by year of make:2000 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Skoda Octavia consumer car reviews

John, Durham

Skoda Octavia 2005 - 2009

My Octavia Elegance has just had its first clutch change at 187,000 miles and that was only because dmf was on its way out.I am a 61 year old taxi driving for 42 years. Yesterday the engine mounting collapsed, but I had the cambelt changed recently and it could be they never put new bolts in when put back together? But I would never even look at any other car, best motor ever. But it's like anything, there are good and bad of every model car. The car is a 2006 model.tdi 1900.

Submitted: 2014-06-30 | ID: 98759

Mark Power, Cheshire

Skoda Octavia 2008

We bought a 2008 Octavia, from a Skoda dealer with 8,500 miles on it, we have had nothing but problems with it. Firstly the cat. converter broke, which was replaced under warranty. However, since the warranty expired we have spent over 2K on this heap of junk, mostly on injectors, which are constantly breaking. It is currently in the garage with a compression problem on cylinder 3, which could cost thousands now. The worst car I have ever owned in 53 years. Avoid them!

Submitted: 2014-01-28 | ID: 47205

Pat Mulcahy, Oxfordshire

Skoda Octavia 1.9TD S E Estate 2010

Bought from main dealer one month ago, with 55000 approx on clock and full Sk. serv. history. I choose old PD engine to avoid DPF issues & because it’s well proven. Generally happy with car except for road noise which is ridiculously high. I note the last MOT had advisory for wear on rear tyres including heavy edge wear so I guess it’s the tracking issue mentioned by Terry Gibbons, combined with tyre type (currently Dunlop Sport 07s all round). Generally too much road noise but at certain speeds it sounds like a wheel bearing problem - very intrusive ! So far have actually averaged about 52 mpg compared to computer reading of about 59. Rear seat squabs are very thin - presumably to facilitate folding - but wouldn’t be good for long journeys. Equipment level is fairly good and the car is generally good to drive, I’ll change the tyre type when current ones are worn and get garage to check tracking, while under warranty. Overall, I would recommend the car.

Submitted: 2013-09-30 | ID: 47207

Andreas Swindell, Nottinghamshire

Skoda Octavia Laurel & Hardy Kombi 2002

Replaced my VR6 with this for economy. Drives fantastic on 16 inch Vredestein ultrac 5’s. 150,000+ miles on her an still achieves 50+ to the gallon. To improve drivings characteristics all bushes and engine mounts replaced with polyurethane and added a rear anti roll-bar. Being an estate I can keep throwing things in the back without even folding the seats. The car was intended as a stop-gap until my VR6 is back on the road but now it’s my main day to day car.

Submitted: 2013-09-23 | ID: 47206

Anthony Thomas, Cardiff

Skoda Octavia 2.0 litre T.D PD 2005

I will make the final payment in September for the 4 years finance deal that I took out when I bought my Octavia Estate. Normally by now I am itching to get out there and start looking for my next upgraded vehicle, but not this time. I have nothing but good things to say about this car and would definitely recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one to go for it. I have already convinced my dad to buy one and now he is the proud owner of the 1.9 T.D Automatic hatchback version on an 02 plate and like me he thinks it’s the best car he has ever owned. If way off in the future I do decide to upgrade my vehicle then Skoda is going to be my first choice, be it another Octavia diesel or I might spoil myself to a Superb turbo diesel.

Submitted: 2013-03-30 | ID: 47201

Iayaz, England

Skoda Octavia 2003

I bought a Skoda Octavia SDi 2003 with 65000 miles on the clock and finished it at 287000 miles. I’m in the taxi trade. It needed just one battery change and a starter motor. It had full service history with all filters changed at 10000 miles, and the engine was like brand new and will last forever. I still managed to sell it for £250. Now I’m on my third Skoda, an Octavia elegance auto tdi pd 1.9. Us taxi drivers love Skodas, I’m certainly a big fan!

Submitted: 2012-08-27 | ID: 47203

P Davies, England

Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi dsg S model 2009

I’ve owned many brands and driven others extensively and thought of replacing a VW Golf with a Skoda Octavia, having hired and been pleased with a Skoda sometime ago with the same engine. More comfortable,roomier and, in my opinion, better to drive than all the over-rated Golfs I’ve owned and up to 60 mpg!However, I tried to secure a replacement chrome grill one month out of warranty because of premature pitting and the response from the Skoda/VW retailer and from central customer services UK was "just like a Golf", ie rubbish! This manufacturer can only survive against hefty competition from excellent Korean and Japanese suppliers offering 6/7 years warranties if it removes itself from the VW mould of never consciously supporting customers when faced with a stark example of poor quality and/or bad service!

Submitted: 2012-08-25 | ID: 47204

Colin Lloyd Wesson, Newport

Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel auto 2007

I have owned quite a number of cars over the years, including Mazda, Honda, Toyota, which were all good cars. However I now have a Skoda Octavia 1.9 diesel auto 2007 with 40000 on the clock. I am very pleased with my choice, I would not swap for any other car. As regards the dealers at Skoda I can not fault them. First Class.

Submitted: 2012-06-30 | ID: 47202

Walter Bulyga, Australia

Skoda Octavia Wagon 2.0 TDi 2008

Brilliant powerful economical car. I have just clocked 84000km in 4 years. No faults at all. Road noise was tamed by fitting Pirellis. I am planning to keep it for another 5 years and can see no reason why not. A great interstate cruiser returning 5.3 km/100L. The boot is massive. Looking at all the other offerings in this price bracket the Skoda slays them all. Better looking than all the Japanese cars which have been designed by a 16 year old Manga cartoonist and thousands cheaper than the Euro offerings. You cannot go past this car.

How could you have it four years when it s a 2008 and you submitted your report in 2010? - Erik Doe from England

Erik, report was done in 10/3/2012. - D Kerby from Hampshire

Submitted: 2012-03-10 | ID: 47195

Colin, Nottinghamshire

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2005

I have nothing but praise for this car. I have the Eligance model and the only problem I have had is the driver door retaining strap screw kept coming loose.

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 47198

Johnny Mack, Sussex

Skoda Octavia 1.9 Tdi PD Elegance 2008

Just passed 88k miles. Third set of tyres, brakes replaced at 80k, it’s needed a new bulb in each headlamp and the radio turned itself off once for no apparent reason. It gets thrashed daily and still returns 48 mpg average. Comfortable and well equipped. Understated in anthracite - nicknamed ’the stealth bomber’ because it never attracts attention. Suspension a little crashy at times but being a ’progressive’ driver. this makes up for it by being very secure at speed. In short, brilliant. A proper, competent bit of kit, not trying hard to be cool.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-06 | ID: 47200

Scott Wright, Scotland

Skoda Octavia TDi Elegance 2007

I am a taxi driver in Glasgow and all I can say about this car is that I have covered 160,000 miles, never needing to replace a bearing or bush spring shocker. I have serviced it every nine thousand miles and replaced one cv boot at a grand total of £7. What a car! What a taxi!! It really has got that expensive car feel. You can keep your Fords, Vauxhalls, pugs and every other piece of scrap you care to mention. Skoda is the main workhorse for the taxi trade (especially all around Europe).

Submitted: 2012-01-04 | ID: 47199

Terry Gibbons, Worcestershire

Skoda Octavia TDi SE DSG auto 2009

I bought this new in 2009 with the aid of the scrappage scheme, getting rid of an old and much-loved Mondeo, which we were very sorry to consign to the scrap-heap, but you couldn’t say no to £2,000. So the Skoda had a lot to live up to, and has done in spades. We had a very specific requirement for a mid-sized diesel automatic, which narrowed the field down a lot, leaving you with the outrageously expensive (e.g., BMW), the distinctly unappetising (Vauxhall, Ford) or the VW Group. After looking seriously at VW, I thought, why pay an extra three grand for the badge? and went for the Skoda. Best decision I ever made! The car has been brilliant; solid as a rock, very adequate performance (it’s only the 105 bhp diesel, after all), excellent roadholding, if not quite up to the Focus we also had, and the DSG gearbox is quite amazing. 55 mpg from a medium-sized automatic! While it is true that the car shares a drive train with the rest of the VW group, Skoda regularly beats the others in reliability surveys, even the VW itself. We have not had a single fault in 2 years and 30,000 miles, and it has not yet flagged itself up for its second service (first one came up at 16,000 miles). Only one really minor niggle - there is some road noise, the drive train makes a happy warbling sound at speed, which makes you think a wheel bearing is going until you get used to it. I don’t know if this is a standard feature or reflects the tyres it is fitted with, but it has been like it from new. Just had two new fronts at 29,000, rears are good for many more miles. Overall it’s an outstanding car. Highly recommended.

Hi, you will find this is a tracking problem with the rear wheels. An issue it seems with all VAG cars with the same chassis. The tracking drifts out of true and you get uneven wear on the rear tyres. If under warranty the fix is free from your dealer. The new tyres aren’t though. A pair a Barums set me back more than £100. Better tyres than the Dunlops the Octy came with! - Michael Lloyd from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Submitted: 2011-07-15 | ID: 47193

Dion Furminger, Kent

Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9 tdi 2002

OK, I’m no car expert, but I must say this is one of the best cars that I’ve owned from the dozen I previously had. I agree with the positive comments on here, especially with regards to its reliability and economy. It also has a reasonable degree of comfort and feels solid. I have had this car for 3 years now and it has never broken down on the road (as yet) and has always started in the morning, even when completely covered in snow! My next car will probably be a newer version of this, or the Superb and hopefully a Lauren and Klement version, as this is fully loaded with features. If you’re looking for a high performance car or for just for its sporty or gimmicky looks, this is not for you, but for an all rounder, I think the Octavia’s hard to beat, just ask a taxi driver, as half of them seem to be driving Skodas! My only downside is the electrics, as this is where most of its faults have occurred , but I would live with that, rather than the engine or gearbox failing, or breaking down while getting to work, as my some of my other cars have done.

Submitted: 2011-02-22 | ID: 47191

Steve McClarty, London

Skoda Octavia VRS 20vT 2002

I bought my car in 2002 with 30k on the clock, and I have to say it’s possibley one of the best cars I have owned,in terms of bang for your buck. I have a remapped engine, performance exhaust and a few other mods, and would say it has performance to match or maybe beat the 80s-90s classic Ford Cosworth.

Submitted: 2011-02-12 | ID: 47192

Hazel McDowell, County Antrim

Skoda Octavia Ambiente 2008

I bought a 2008 Octavia nealry 2 years ago as I wanted a bigger family car and after driving nearly ever make of car available over the years opted for a Skoda and I can honestly say I made a fantastic choice. I have never had any problems with it, it handles every situation that it is in including all that dreadful snow! I was driving up quite a steep snow covered hill while all the other cars were stuck and reversing back down my Skoda kept going and made it to the top, no problem! Fuel consumption is great, I have been so impressed with the skoda that I am getting a new one on Monday, the 1.6 TDI Elegance, which has lots of features included that you would only get from the top of the range models from other manufacturers. Look after the car properly and it will give years of hassle free driving! My recommendation? Buy a Skoda!

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 47189

Farnworth Mark, England

Skoda Octavia HB 1.8tsi Elegance 2011

Had this just over three years. Bought 1.8tsi as I am becoming dubious about the overall advantages of diesel economy. Ecomomy overall circa 36mpg/32k miles. Pros: Engine is a gem; torquey, smooth & quiet and pretty good economy considering the perfomance available. Boot massive, interior quality of fittings seems good, no dash rattles etc. Well kitted out for price. Cons: Road tyre noise can be intrusive on coarse surfaces (as in much of UK) however, I have recently changed back tyres to Continentals from the original Bridgestone ER300s, seems an improvement. I will do the same on the front asap. Some clunks from tailgate/ on bad bumps, minor irritation. Failed heater fan @35 months(warranty - just) Failed radio antenna @6 months(warranty) Usual mickey takes, Skoda....most in knowing jest!

Submitted: 2011-01-03 | ID: 47190

Jan Markuss, Czech Republic

Skoda Octavia combi 2,0TDI 2008

You don’t know nothing about cars. Do you know that engines in Octavia are the same as in the Passat, Golf, A4 and A6? Did you know that old 1.8 was the same engine as in the Octavia and Audi TT? Do you know that the new Superb is more qualited than the new Passat? No? Please, start read Germans web. Do you know that Skoda has one of the modern technologies in VW group?

Submitted: 2010-10-10 | ID: 47187

Craig Street, Hertfordshire

Skoda Octavia 1.4 16v 2002

Bought the car new in 2002 and replaced it with a new Kia Cee’d in 2009. Got to admit, wish I had kept the Skoda. The Skoda was well built and felt solid as a rock. It had a few reliabilty issues but these always came down to the rubbish coil packs fitted to the engine. At most it cost me £60 to get fixed at a Skoda main dealer. I covered nearly 84000 miles in it and I think that in 7 years it let me down 7 times but it never broke down or failed to start. Even when firing on only 3 cylinders (due to broken coil pack) it always got me home. While my new Kia feels like it was built down to a price, the Skoda never felt like it. It always felt like I was driving a much more expensive car than I actually was. All the parts are raided out of the VW/Audi parts bin. Eveything had a expensive clunk to it, the bodywork felt like it was made out of decent metal. The gearbox was a quality item, the doors shut with a quality thud to them. In fact everything I can slag my kia off about I could not say about my Skoda. The gearbox on th Kia is crap, the doors are cheap and lightweight and shut with a cheap feeling. The back doors feel like they are made out of paper and most of the car has a cheap squeaking feel to it. The 1.4 16v engine is a bit small for the car and you need to hammer it to keep up with the traffic, but despite being a bit puny it was a decent engine. Back seat was a bit strange and seemed to be set at a almost 90% angle. Good car, should have kept it. If the 2010 models are as good as the 2002 models where my advice would be, buy with confidence but steer clear of the 1.4 (it has 80bhp now, mine had 75 but that is not enought for the car.) Make sure you at least go for the 1.6. The car would really benefit from the extra horsepower. I would buy another, I would not buy another Kia. If I buy another new car Skoda Octavia will be miles ahead of Kia Cee’d on my list. Skoda just need to start offering a 7 year warrnty. Their product is much better than Kia offering.

Submitted: 2010-10-03 | ID: 47188

Mark Birtles, England

Skoda Octavia 2.0 Tdi Sport DSG 2007

I see there are a minority of folk rubbishing Skoda on here and I can say with complete honesty.....YOU ARE ALL TALKING RUBBISH!!! I have been using Skodas for 10 years for taxi driving and they are by far the best car for the job, and boy taxis do take some hammer. I have had: 2002 Octavia 1.9 Tdi 90 bhp Ambient A4 Manual 2003 Superb 1.9 Tdi 130 bhp Comfort Manual 2004 Superb 1.9 Tdi 130 bhp Elegance Manual 2005 Octavia 2.0 Tdi 140 bhp Sport Manual 2007 Octavia 2.0 Tdi 140 bhp Sport DSG (Current Car) All the above taxis!!! Yes, I’ve had the odd problem but nothing compared to some of the lads driving Ford and Vauxhalls. It certainly hasn’t put me off. Anyway, it’s not just about the car but how well the dealer looks after me. The Skoda dealers are probably amongst the best in the industry. My mrs has a BMW Z4, BMW dealers are a joke!! Ford dealers are just so uninterested in what you have to say!! Citroen/Peugeot/Renault dealers don’t know what they are talking about!! And yes, I have dealt with them all in 23 years of driving but the Skoda dealers are bang on. If you’re thinking of buying one, take the plunge and give one a try, I doubt very much you will be disappointed!! Take it from a driver who has driven them for 10 years at 50,000 miles a year!!

Submitted: 2010-07-07 | ID: 47166

Eamonn O Regan, Ireland

Skoda Octavia 1.6CR TDi Elegance saloon 2010

If asked to best describe this car, I would say ’value for money’. Consider what you get for £1000’s less than other similarly-spec’d brands: VW - group technology, (clearly visible when you open the bonnet), comfort, fuel economy, more than adequate, if not exactly sporting performance but then I don’t need that, huge carrying capacity, great fuel economy and loads of features. Road tax is low. Residuals are now good. I took all of this into account recently when considering a new 10-reg car and went for the 1.6TDi Elegance, as it ticked all the boxes in what I consider important in a car. I love it,it is easily the best car I’ve ever owned in 35 years of car ownership. Nice one, Skoda!<br /><br />

I agree with Eamonn’s 100% - Chris Wiley from Ireland

Just to add to my review: on a recent holiday in Northern Ireland, which ended in a fast motorway dash at 75mph from Dublin to Galway, the Octavia averaged an astonishing 63.8mpg. I have also discovered that its boot is larger than that of a Mk 4 Golf Estate with rear seats up - Eamonn O’Regan from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-06-24 | ID: 47163

Madelaine McLaughlin, Gloucestershire

Skoda Octavia 2000

Good mid size car that’s comfortable on motorways yet not too thirsty around town. Huge boot for carrying. Visibility for driver not as good as some other cars and electrics can be a little temperamental in older cars - e.g. central locking not reliable and windows may all go down as you walk away after parking up, (with no ignition on, so explain that!)<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-28 | ID: 47167

Bridget Smurthwaite, Kent

Skoda Octavia VRS 2004

This vehicle, quite frankly, goes like stink! It sticks to the road, handles well round bends and accelerates just when you want (or need!) it to! Long distance fuel consumption is pretty good and is in fact better than some smaller engine size cars! Obviously if you’re hammering the hell out of it, the fuel doesn’t go so far! My only gripe would be that the front end is a little low to the ground, but as long as you’re careful, its not too much of a problem!

Submitted: 2010-02-21 | ID: 47168

Robert Evered, Kent

Skoda Octavia 1.9 tdi 110bhp 2000

I bought this car new and have covered 250,000 trouble free miles. It still has the original clutch! In that time I have replaced discs and pads twice, routine servicing only required and the only faults have been one door central locking failure and an auxilliary belt tensioner. It has averaged 65mpg and uses a set of tyres every 45-50,000. What else can I say except I’m passing it on to my daughter as I have ordered a new one.

I had the same model Octavia and a SEAT Toledo with the same engine. That VAG 110bhp engine was brilliant, the performance was good. The emission control was one of the best around and the economy well more than 60mpg + could be achieved without having to worry about having lift your foot. I used to smile as I cruised in the fast lane because I knew that I had a better car using less fuel than most I was passing. That engine in common with many in the Audi’s was the last of its type ITS SUCCESSORS ARE NOT AS GOOD. The injectors of PD and the ’common rail’ engines are controlled totally and electrically by the ECU (car computer) for all its sophistication this form of control and and its poor EGR response complications has yet to equal the previous injection technique in terms of economy. The DPF is another curse requiring a separate addititive or using more fuel to keep it working. So with the 110bhp Tdi you had the one of best engines in one of the best cars for the money. You may find it difficult to get a replacement as good - M Timberlake from Sussex

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 47169

Gerry Cully, Northern Ireland

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI 2009

I bought a new Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI ELG and love it, it’s the best car that I have ever driven. Before that I bought a new 2007 elegence petrol1.6, that too was just fantastic, it’s trouble free motoring all the time. Best cars ever, well done Skoda.

I am expecting to take delivery shortly of a new Octavia 1.4se dsg give me a few weeks and I ll let you know my views on it. Thank you - David Graham from County Londonderry

Submitted: 2010-01-12 | ID: 47174

Steve Wall, Somerset

Skoda Octavia elegance 2.0TDI DSG 2005

The review from Paul Talbot below reasonates with my experience. My prior car was an auto Omega 2.0 GLS and was a beauty to drive, I just didn’t like the electrical fauts it had. The Skoda feels like it is hewn from solid steel it really feels solid - a very reassuring feel when buying second hand. It’s overtaking ability is very good especially with the sutomatic box, and if you want to feel the urge from the 140bhp engine put the gearstick into sports mode and boot it. My wife and I love driving in town and on motorways. I feel a bit sorry for people who pay all that extra for a VW or AUDI badge, as Skoda are a now scoring higher in reliability surveys. Lot’s of TV adverts for VW and AUDI and none for SKODA ! I like the fact that you can set a variable warning bell for when you go over a certain speed, setting mine at 30mph has saved me from a speed camera ticket once or twice. The boot is bigger than the omega and that was big, the stereo is excellent too. The funny thing is I would never have considered buying one were it not for the fact that I needed a car urgently (the Vauxhall Omega died) and the main criteria were it had to be auto and diesel - apart from a Mondeo the Octavia was the only other choice at the time. I think a sign of a good car is that you look forward to driving it every day- the Skoda Elegance does that for me. The only criticism is that I can’t detach the rear aerial and although it folds flat I am dubious about using the local ASDA auto car wash. Can anyone advise?

Stick the antenna to the rear window with a adhesive tape. This is how I solve that problem. By the way; I’m just about to replace my Octavia Elegance 1.8 20V T 2003 with a Octavia Elegance 2.0TDI DSG 2007. I hope I can cope with the fact that the 2.0TDI quite slower than the 1.8 20V T - Peter Wigen Bjarnų from Denmark

Thanks Peter - Steve Wall from England

Submitted: 2010-01-01 | ID: 47171

Martyn Wilkinson, County Armagh

Skoda Octavia 1.9TDi Classic 2006

I bought this car second hand at a year old with 14,000 miles on the clock. When I purchased the car I didn’t realise that it had previously been a rental vehicle so if you’re considering purchasing one of this age / mileage, be sure to ask! I think these are in theory an excellent car, spacious, comfortable, economic, but I’ve had nothing but problems with it, from endless suspension issues, problems with the gearbox and general niggles. The engine is a bit loud, the road noise is dreadful unless you find just the right tyres (in my case pirelli P6000’s), the clutch is weak and the stereo is pretty poor. In the car’s defence, it’s issues seem to be more as a result of unsympathetic rental drivers than bad build quality, but the car is in the dealer’s yet again, and my warranty runs out next friday. Would i buy one again .... honestly, i dont think so, and with the warranty about to expire i’m thinking about getting shot of it before anything else goes wrong.

Excellent car in many respects, except for rear shock absorbers, which were leaking after only 14000 miles. Luckily it was repaired under warranty. - John Bird from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2009-12-10 | ID: 47176

Alex, England

Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI Lauren and Klement 2009

First I must say, stay away from Skoda, it’s by far the worse car I have ever driven! I have driven a vast number of different brands from Honda/Toyota to Ford/GMC to Audi/BMW/Mercedes. I am writing this review so that others may not be misguided as a result of making the same mistake I did. After reading so many reviews about Skoda as being very well rated I picked one my self. I wanted to say this, "how in the world did you come up with these ratings?" I was faced with the decision of choosing a company car and I picked a Skoda based on the reviews I found. These reviews are misguiding for people that have limited time or are not familiar with Skoda brand. I’m confused as to why some people are comparing Skoda with VW, BMW or Audi? Let’s clear this up. This car is simply a Skoda and nothing more! Skoda is built in the Czech Republic and quality is limited. 1. The Engine is loud similar to a Tractor and first and second gears are short and powerless. 2. Road noise is very present and makes driving an unpleasant experience (the cabin insulation seems non-existent) 3. Interior/Exterior: car has lots of plastic materials that look plain and cheap. 4. Visibility issues: Critical Dead Spot- the Left side Pillar blocking driver’s view when making left turns. 5.Diesel Engine: noise is very unpleasant and tiring for long drives unlike Audi, BMW or VW whose engines are quiet and smooth. 6.Seats are very uncomfortable I already have back pains, long drives are horrible. 7.Car is unstable and turbulence apparent especially when driving on pot holes, rougher roads or over 120KM/hr on the highway. Apparently the suspension system is not doing a good job in absorbing the road impacts. Final word: Do not waste your time or money with Skoda, it’s not worth it!

I’m confused - "1. The Engine is loud similar to a Tractor and first and second gears are short and powerless." 5. Diesel Engine: noise is very unpleasant and tiring for long drives unlike Audi, BMW or VW whose engines are quiet and smooth" What you mean like the 2.0 TDi VW/Audi engine that is fitted to this Skoda? - Simon Bucannon from England

You say that the quality is not as good as Audi, VW, BMW, it is based on and built from VAG parts with the same quality control required in ALL VAG factories. I have also owned BMW’s and the build quality of all the makes you mentioned is almost the same as the Skoda. If you wish to voice your opinion you should do so with factual comparisons rather than open ended unproven comments - from England

There is nothing in this report that you couldn’t have found out by taking a test drive or by doing rudimentary internet research. 1. In a 2009 car you probably have the PD engine that has always been criticised for being at the rough end of the diesel scale when pushed hard- newer models have the quieter and more refined CR. You should have discovered this on the road test. 2. Road noise - you should have picked this up on the road test - Octavias are prone to road noise. 3. Interior - did you actually road test before you selected this car? Did you even sit in one? 4. Visiblity issue - yes I agree but... road test? 5. See 1 6. Seats are firm just like most German cars. Did you even sit in one before you selected it? 7. Suspension is firm like most German cars - test drive? The Octavia is not a perfect car and like all cars will have some characterisitics that don’t appeal to everyone and others that some will accept as compromise and others just can’t live with. This is why you do a good long road test! For the record I am about to get rid of my 2006 diesel Octavia Elegance - and replace it with another! - from Yorkshire

What a w####r you are. These cars use VW engines and components. You clearly don’t understand the engineering concept of a world car. You are one voice against thousands who really rate Skoda - Jock Tailor from Northumberland

I’m confused as to why some people are comparing Skoda with VW, BMW or Audi? Maybe you are missing the point of who owns Skoda and which parts bins they use. My 2004 vRS Octavia Estate has the same 1.8T 180hp engine as an Audi TT. It just means that for 136k miles I have been able to transport myself quickly, my family steadily and safely and with as much luggage as my wife can muster. - If you want an honest couple of gripes, from experience rather than spleen, here goes. It’s a l

I have a late 2006 L&K 140 TDI DSG, bought second hand with 57k on the clock. Fortunately, I also bought the dealer’s used car warranty because initially I had two disasters. The first one within 24 hours of owning it, the turbo was faulty and replaced under dealer warranty. The second came 5000 miles later, a cracked cylinder head was identified (both problems are known faults of the PD engine!). After much discussion with the warranty insurers, the dealer replaced the entire head with a preassembled unit. I’ve now driven for a further 7000 miles. The car is BRILLIANT! The DSG box is a delight both in city traffic and on main roads. Using the kickdown, the only problem I’ve encountered when overtaking is the strong possibility of finding one of Cumbria’s ’Safety Cameras’ at the end of an overtaking opportunity. I have tried using the tiptronic option but frankly, I cannot see the virtue of using it except when needing engine braking when going down some of Cumbria’s very steep hills. I use the Sport mode when climbing the long steep and winding hills otherwise like all autos, it hunts between ratios. Fuel consumption is around 46mpg overall so acceptable especially after my SUV which averaged 36 and only 31 if I drove quickly on a motorway. The Climate Control is excellent and really works, even the split ’his & hers’ function. A couple of minor niggles however. One is the sudden onset of power at low speeds in fraffic, a known feature of the PD engine in all its applications - you learn to cope with it but at first, it is a bit unnerving especially as there is no clutch to slip. The other is the waste gate whistle at city traffic speeds. I barely notice it but passengers occasionally remark about it - John Douglas from Westmoorland

I have the 2l DSG L&K. It ticks all the boxes except one! ROAD NOISE. If this can be solved by new tyres could someone please advise - John Wright from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-11-30 | ID: 47178

Warburton Stu, Bedfordshire

Skoda Octavia Petrol VRS 2007

What a fantastic car for the money, I am thoroughly satified with my VRS and wouldn’t swap it for any other performance hatch. I tried all the other cars in the range, from the ST to the VRX and the GTI, for the money, build qaulity, economy, performance and practicality, it can’t be beaten. I travel mainly on country lanes and B roads, and the suspension is a dream, it absorbs everything the roads can throw up. It is economical and I am averaging 37 mpg. I was amazed when I did a trip to cornwall and got 42 mpg, I had to be careful at the pumps, not to fill up with diesel :-) The old image of the rusty, smoky Skoda has long gone, this is a Volkswagon Audi Group car with all the credentials of an Audi or a Volkswagen. Before you buy your next car and are looking for something the size of an Octavia, throw away your badge snobbery and try one, you will not be disappointed; I will buy another VRS when the wife lets me change this one :-)

Submitted: 2009-08-19 | ID: 47186

Madelaine McLaughlin, Gloucestershire

Skoda Octavia 2008

A good value family saloon car. Runs smoothly on motorways & around town. Huge boot for all the families junk & shopping. Only disadvantages are... No rear wiper (I know it’s slanted so rain runs down, but you still need a wiper when it mists up in the cold!). Visibility not great.

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 47209

Gordon McKenzie, Scotland

Skoda Octavia Lauren and Klement 2007

This is the second Skoda I have leased and will have another one. Great build quality and is one of the most comfortable cars I’ve had. Road handling is excellent and performance from the 2.0 litre Turbo diesel engine takes some beating. Having had the opportunity to lease the Skoda Octavia I have no hesitation in buying one privately. The Lauren and Klement variant is packed with everything you could wish for. Don’t let the historical stories put you off. One of the best cars on the road!

Submitted: 2009-04-22 | ID: 47208

Paul Talbot, Lancashire

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDi DSG Diesel 2006

Skoda Octavia Elegance 2.0 TDi DSG - a quick search of Google in relation to Laurin and Klement, told me that two gentlemen founded a car company called Skoda at the turn of the century. Strangely enough, they also produced bicycles and motorcycles but I’m going to concentrate on the car side of things. The name Laurin and Klement has become synonymous with the top of the range of Skoda motor cars and after many models having been produced over the last 100 years or so, it’s now part of the Volkswagen Audi company and is marketed as a brand in its own right, alongside Seat, a car company with Spanish origins. The range of cars offered by Skoda is quite neat. The car I’m reviewing is the Octavia. The model recently won Auto Express’s owner satisfaction survey for the second time and I must admit, this is my second one too. The car fits into the range between the Fabia and Superb and has the traditional five door hatch layout, and an estate can be specified that uses the same floorplan as the hatchback model. It was updated in 2004 with a refreshed front end and "C" shaped rear light clusters together with an updated interior, although there are rumours within the industry that the original model will be re-introduced as a budget buy from 2010. The Octavia now looks decidedly similar to the next car up the four car Skoda range, the more expensive Superb, with its prominent nose, slightly larger length and cosseting ride. The car’s imposing new front and long bonnet give it some executive flair whilst retaining its value for money approach. The doors close with a nice "thunk, a sure sign of quality. The car I’ve got is the 2.0 TDI pump deuse diesel and has covered 36,000 miles in two years of ownership, mainly because I use the car everyday as part of my job. Trim levels range from the rather basic but cheap Classic, to Ambiente, Elegance, Lauren and Klement and sporty Vrs. The engine range from the positively weedy and not recommended 1.4, to the frugal 1.9 TDi and 2.0 TDi. If you’re in the market for a swift model, there is the flying 2.0 petrol that is fitted into the sports variant, the VRs. To give you an idea of size, the car is 1462mm high, 1769mm wide and 4572mm in length. The car is fitted with some factory options such as Sport alloys, sports suspension, xenon headlamps, and exterior courtesy lamps and a boot lip rear spoiler as well as metallic graphite grey paintwork. I chose the car because the layout of the car with its wide opening doors makes entry and exit easy. This model in Elegance trim has height adjustable seats. The passenger seat is also height adjustable and there is a list of standard features that would fill the rest of this article. Here’s a few to be going on with; 6 CD multichanger and multi function radio Climatronic Air Conditioning (works like central heating) Reversing sensors Xenon headlamps Front foglamps Rear spoiler Rain sensitive wipers Electric door mirrors that are also heated Electric windows Driver, passenger, curtain, seat and side airbags 17" alloy wheels Traction Control Stability Control Tyre pressure monitors Alarm and Immobiliser So, I’m sure you’d agree it’s well equipped. All the controls have a positive action and are of the same quality and materials that you would find any of the other Volkswagen Audi group cars. The switchgear has a positive action, the plastics are nicely rubberised and chrome bezels on some of the switchgear mean that it’s a pleasant place to be. From day to day I can cover large mileages and get out as relaxed as when I got in. The view from the driving position is good and the Elegance has parking sensors as standard equipment on the rear so parking is easy too. You may even find that you’ll challenge yourself to get the car in a small a space as possible once accustomed to the sensitivity of them. In terms of economy, the car regularly returns in excess of 40mpg around town and on a long run with the cruise control in operation; a figure of 60mpg is achievable according to the cars on board computer. Passenger space is relatively generous and five people can be carried in comfort and as its front wheel drive, there’s no awkward transmission tunnel hump for the middle occupant to negotiate in the rear. The boot has a relatively low sill and it’s possible for the entire London Symphony Orchestra with their instruments to hide away in there when its shut and nobody would know. Beneath the floor a full size wheel is provided instead of the usual can of filler. The boot also has a cargo net which, unfortunately, has given up the ghost and collapsed, probably as a result of my wheelchair storage. On the road, the car is relatively quiet although I have driven some quieter diesels. The engine is rather heavy but this doesn’t impact upon the steering too much and it’s possible to hustle the car along a favourite twisty road with ease. Whilst it’s not the lightest steering set up that I’ve used, I think that there’s plenty of feedback from it and the six speed direct shift gearbox can either be used as a manual or it can be left in Drive and used as a conventional automatic. The gears have a seamless shift between them and so far, I’ve never needed to use it as a manual as it’s so efficient. It’s perhaps the best gearbox I’ve used yet. The car’s engine is willing and eager, flinging the car forward through the gears with ease. The car is capable of the 0-60 dash in 9.6 seconds and can travel on to a rather academic 130mph, however I value my licence. For those interested in performance figures, the car pulls strongly from 1,750 rpm and has a maximum power output of 140bhp at 4,000 rpm. It drives well and is relatively cheap to run. The car is well constructed and has a sturdy, solid quality feel about it, not to mention the equipment list which goes on and on. I’ve heard of the Octavia covering 100,000 miles in two years easily courtesy of our local taxi service and that can’t be bad. Try one, you might be surprised.

Submitted: 2008-11-03 | ID: 47213

Frank Whitbread, Stirlingshire

Skoda Octavia 2.0 litre TDI diesel 2007

The Octavia is not the best looking car in the world but the appeal for me was that it used Volkswagen technology found in the Golf but gives more space and practicality. The cabin quality is excellent and the ride is comfortable and refined. I plumped for the diesel for the better fuel economy. The seats are the most comfortable that I have ever sat in. Aircon was included as standard. I have now completed over 5,000 miles and had no problems. Skoda have really turned their image around and I will not hesitate to buy from them again.

Submitted: 2008-05-09 | ID: 47212

Andy Murdoch, Ayrshire

Skoda Octavia vRS 2.0FSi 2006

Just bought one of these cars and after one decent drive on our B roads it is easy to see why it fairs so well on motoring surveys. Excellent build quality, good torquey engine and slick 6 speed box. Excellent sound system and the boot storage is massive and so many nice small touches. It puts my new age Impreza to shame in so many departments!! Insurance Group 15 and over 30mpg makes it a great performance saloon. I’m proud to be driving a Skoda!

Submitted: 2008-04-15 | ID: 47211

Peter Rowson, Newport

Skoda Octavia 1.6 FSi 2007

This car is fabulous. Superb build quality, comfortable, great handling & plenty of room inside. Would certainly have another in a couple of years.

Submitted: 2007-10-26 | ID: 47210

• jamal's question has been answered: "And how much would it cost me please? Thank you - jamal from Yorkshire' '..." (07/07/2014 23:37:47)
  • alan's question has been answered: "Get the trouble codes in the computer scanned y a good technician. Your vehicle is trying to give you the information it has stored, that is what the - John Smith from New Zealand' '..." (21/04/2014 13:13:39)

Skoda Octavia

2.0 TDI - Skoda has quietly become one of the jewels in the Volkswagen Group crown over the last decade. Whereas once it was the butt of cruel jokes, it’s now a manufacturer of reliable, practical cars that are proving popular with those in the know. The Octavia has been one of the cars that have enhanced Sko [...]

An image of the Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI