Skoda Fabia consumer car reviews and road tests

Skoda Fabia

Skoda Fabia consumer reviews by year of make:2000 2001 2004 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Skoda Fabia consumer car reviews

Lionel Rigby, Cornwall

Skoda Fabia 1.2 tsi Elegance 2011

I have had my Fabia 1.2 tsi 105BHP for 18 months, covering about 14,000 miles and it has never put a foot wrong. The 1.2tsi engine is a beaut; free revving, with very good acceleration if you want to get a move on, and very smooth when cruising. The suspension soaks up the bumps and undulations without any bangs or dramatics and gives good road holding. Tyre wear is good, petrol consumption is almost as good as my previous Octavia diesel, servicing is cheap. I bought the Elegance model to get all the goodies but my previous car, an Octavia Elegance had far more goodies on it and was a superb car. My only criticism of the Fabia is that it does suffer from wind noise, possibly from the wing mirrors as the speed goes up and it is just a tad too narrow inside. I am reluctantly changing it as I need an automatic. I would change it for the 1.2 tsi with DSG box tomorrow but that particular model is very difficult to source, so I have to turn to a VW Polo, which is basically a Fabia with a posh badge. Unfortunately VW do not produce a Polo DSG with the 1.2 tsi engine so having to drop down to an old technology 1.4 with only 84 BHP so I am sure to notice the drop in zip. Maybe just maybe the next generation Fabia will be have everything I need.

Submitted: 2013-11-15 | ID: 47131

Campbell Frame, Scotland

Skoda Fabia 2013

I have been waiting for two weeks for my Fabia TDi. I have only test driven, but it was very good. I have had two new cars in the last two years and at last I hope I have found a car at last - by the way, so is the wife!

Submitted: 2013-05-18 | ID: 47130

Jan Husdal, Norway

Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI 70HP Estate Safeline 2007

I bought my Fabia second-hand 3 years ago. While it is certainly no race car, the torque is simply amazing, even at rpm as low as 1200-1500. Fuel economy is good; 65mpg over 3 years on average measured at the pump, even 75mpg on long drives on open rural roads if I drive economically. Lots of space in the boot and it sits two children comfortably in the back; it will seat two adults in the back if they’re not too long-legged. Yes, the 3-cylinder diesel makes some noise and makes the car sound like a Ferrari while it makes it drive like a tractor, but it also feels like a sturdy and solid car. It handles curves and corners well, once you put the right tyres on it (186/60 R14 Hakka Green), albeit under steering is quite noticeable no matter what. As I said, not a race car, but a perfect family car if you’re on a budget and enjoy a rather leisurely driving style, while having no problems keeping up with motorway traffic when you have to.

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 47129

Martin Drew, Staffordshire

Skoda Fabia SE TSi105 bhp 2012

I was looking to replace a ’52 plate Fiesta for a zippy VW based car for the wife. Final selection came down to the Fabia SE TSi 105 bhp, and yes I had help from WhatCar reviews! 10 months old, under 2000miles and £9k and after a quick spin off we went. I had to keep telling the wife not to race off at the lights as it was embarrassing the boy racers in their Corsas. We drove 3k miles in France last summer, complete with roof box, and it was absolutely fab! It pulls well up those long French hills and is very nippy/frugal on petrol, depending on your attitude at the time. The boot is sized neatly for the big, big shop, there’s lots of headroom and the front seats adjust quite high and give a comfy, clear view of surroundings. Heads rests are often pretty dire in cars, either angled awkwardly whatever you alter or hard enough to crack open your skull in a crash. Those in the Fabia are almost as good as those in my 406; I know, because before its second birthday I wrote the Fabia off, walking away with not even whiplash. And before you jump to conclusions, that’s my first ever accident in 42 years of careful driving. So, I have bought another one, same spec and same response; you could say I am a big fan of the Fabia, oh, and GAP insurance!

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 47128

John Leng, Surrey

Skoda Fabia 1.6tdi 105hp 2011

Over the last twenty odd years I’ve had nine Volvo estates and three Mercedes estates. Now I am retired I have bought a 2011 Skoda Elegance estate 1.6 tdi105. What a brilliant vehicle! I love it to bits! 25 years ago Skoda was known as a "skip", I and others would never have even considered buying one. Skoda are now having the last laugh, may they continue with their success. By the way, I should know what I am talking about as I was in the motor trade as an engineer for 50 years!

Submitted: 2012-12-08 | ID: 47126

Lloyd Simmons, Kent

Skoda Fabia tdi 2010

A great car with no faults and only problem - no rear interior lights. Try strapping a baby in chair in the dark!

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 47127

John Grey, Nottinghamshire

Skoda Fabia 2008

I retired at Christmas and wanted a Fabia 1.2, 3 cylinder as I had been told they were excellent on fuel, compared to my 1.6 golf. This is the worst mistake I have made in my 43 years of buying second-hand cars. The sales rep told me I would get 50mpg. On the first fill up it returned 27mpg and the next 24mpg. The best I have had is 31mpg on a 6hour motorway run doing a steady 60/65mph. The main Nottingham dealers where I bought it from put it on their computer, which said I was getting 58mpg and there was nothing wrong with the car, so they won’t exchange it. I do approx 75 miles a week of which 60 miles are on country roads and it does not go out in rush hour. So beware and do not believe their fuel figures!

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 47122

Allan Robinson, England

Skoda Fabia SE 1.2 70 HP 2012

I purchased this Skoda as there was a vat free offer on and after reading all the reviews on every car site. It is returning 51.6 mpg and will get better as it gets some miles on. Everthing works, no rattles or shakes. I would suggest to anyone who wants a motor that does everthing it should to forget the badge and try it. I road tested a Citroen C3, a Peugeot, a Renault 5 and a VW Polo, (which was far too expensive for basically the same car as a Skoda) before making this purchase. I am happy.

You tested a Renault 5 in 2012, they stopped making them in around 1991?! - from Devon

I bought mine BECAUSE of the badge - Simon Hooker from Essex

Submitted: 2012-06-04 | ID: 47123

Adam, Newport

Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo 1.2 TSI 105 2011

What can I say about this car? Sadly it hasn’t been the best experience. It was my first new car and things went wrong from day one. The dealership delivered the car to me (after a 3 month wait) with the wrong specification, wrong alloy wheels on one side of the vehicle (that’s right, my car had 2 different sets!) and over the past 3 months a catalogue of faults that cannot be rectified. Skoda UK have been useless, the finance company haven’t been helpful and the supplying dealer just told me to go away as the car is "fine". The car rattles like a bag of nails, pulls to the left, leaks, squeaks, creaks, loud noises appear from the engine bay when idling etc. Such a shame, I expected more from the VAG group. I guess I’m just unlucky as reports suggest the car should be decent. The car inside is quite nice though, comfy seats, quite spacious (I’m 6’3), but just seems the dealerships cannot provide decent service and with all the issues I’ve had I’ll be selling it to go back to a Japanese manufacturer. Such a shame, it’s a very nice looking car! Needs to be a bit more than that though.

Submitted: 2011-11-06 | ID: 47121

Matthew George, Norfolk

Skoda Fabia vrs 2008

I have had my Fabia VRS for three years now and have had no problems so far, fingers crossed. A great car for the money; all my other cars that I’ve owned before have been golf GTIs. Good mpg at 55+. The tyres can wear quick, but that can be due to heavy right foot.

Submitted: 2011-07-29 | ID: 47120

Graham Joel, Somerset

Skoda Fabia 105 BHP DIESEL 2011

Probably the best money I have ever spent on a car; 20% off the price also off the extras then add in the packages it adds up to one great deal and may I just tell you it drives like a dream.

Submitted: 2011-06-05 | ID: 47119

Dave, Lancashire

Skoda Fabia VRS 2010

I bought the car recently due to my Impreza turbo coming to the point where I was spending more money on repairs than seemed practical and I had been looking for some time to find a car that was at the right price under 16 grand and still had enough poke to keep me reasonably happy. My requirement was for a New car (to prevent me picking up a thrashed 2nd hand car which is always a possibility with any sports model) that could give over 35 mpg, around 7 secs 0 - 60, 5 door hatch and small enough to park in a tight car park for work . As you can imagine I didn’t have much luck in that department for quite some time until this car came along. The only let down for me was the propect of an auto gearbox with no option for manual. For any person that considers driving a pleasure to experience and not a means from getting one place to the next on any four wheels, the idea of an automatic gearbox is enough to make one shudder. However the test drive made me raise my eyebrows in pleasant surprise. The Automatic box has the option of Drive, Sport mode (both leaving the car to make all the gear shifts) or with a flick of the gear lever to the side enabling you to shift up and down gears by tapping it back or forwards (which makes you feel more involved) or using the paddles behing the steering wheel to change gears which makes the gearbox quite pleasant to use. The drive can make you feel like you are driving a much bigger car than it actually is. Normal driving can feel quite lethargic if left to the auto gearbox’s own devices as it changes gear upwards quite quickly to save fuel. From the lights the initial drive engages as though hesitantly from the start but within no time at all you are rapidly sent forward at pace if you put your foot down, especially when using the steering wheel paddles. Road noise on motorways can be rather intrusive but in my mind this seems to be all from the tyres. I have only covered 200 miles but I am seriously considering buying some new, quieter tyres. Build quality is excellent and the sound system far better than many I have heard. The internal space at the front and rear at the same time is very good and not a significant trade off, one for the other. I have quiet a long body and find that there is plenty of headroom to spare in the car. The feel of the road feels just a little remote in comparison to the Subaru (again I think this could be improved by a better choice of tyres) and adds to the big car feel. The car can come with numerous options including parking sensors, Cruise control and Climate control again adding to the big car feel. But trust me when you find yourself parking in some tight spaces you realise just how easy it is to park. All in all I can say It tick enough of the boxes to having made me buy one and would suggest that this car is certainly worth serious consideration on these pricey petrol driven roads. When you realise that this small engined 1.4 has a Supercharger and Turbocharger fitted and has 180 bhp, 0 - 60 in 7.3 and 139 mph available from under the bonnet in a 5 door hatchback (the estate does 140 mph due to aerodynamics) and all this with only £125 road tax to pay each year (no that really isn’t a typing error!) It really is a pretty incredible car. I should add that I test drove several other cars before I bought this car which included a new Corsa VXR, and one point you need to watch for on any test drive is the real fuel economy, not just trust what the manual says. The Fabia gave over 33 mpg on my spirited test drive whereas the Corsa only gave 22 mpg unspirited local driving and a pretty bad headache too, from its overly hard (for our roads) suspension. I also tested the Suzuki Swift, which although a pretty nice car to drive was gutless at 65mph if you need to overtake. Currently (Nov 10) there is a 12 week waiting list for the Fabia VRS and was the reason I bought the demonstrator car! which probably tells you what a good car this is. One point to note is that this Skoda is the same engine as is used in the VW Polo and Seat Ibiza as all come from the ’Volkswagen Audi Group’ Company. However in basic format the Skoda is a couple of grand cheaper if you dont want the pricey badge or extra unwanted gadgets. I would ask you though not to buy one as I like the exclusivity for the moment.

Submitted: 2010-11-08 | ID: 47107

Wilson, Warwickshire

Skoda Fabia fabia 3. 1.4 petrol 2007

The Fabia is a very good looking car and is surprisingly roomy and practical, my car has the under seat storage boxes which are very handy for hiding things away out of view, it has a good sized boot and the seats fold down almost flat. The suspension is soft and compliant and gives a comfortable ride. I like the auto climate control it keeps you comfortable and keeps the windows clear. One let down for me is the gutless 1.4 petrol engine it’s a good job the gear box is smooth and a pleasure to use because you do need to use it frequently if you want to get a move on, and when extended this engine is quite vocal, it makes hurried driving a chore. My previous car was a Hyundai I 10 comfort with the 1.2 engine which has lots of low down poke and although the fabia is larger and more comfortable I miss that instant pulling power, with the Fabia 1.4 it’s push and wait, if you just like plodding along you will be happy with it but if you like a bit of spirited driving don’t pick this engine, with the right choice of motor, overall the Fabia is a decent car.

Submitted: 2010-10-28 | ID: 47108

Keith Hall, Norway

Skoda Fabia 19 tdi estate 2008

I thought I would add some comments as car is 2 1/2 years old now. Has worked perfectly since new, no mechanical related problems. Sports interior gives very comfortable seating. Good on long drives 2200 km in two days during the volcanic ash problems. Excellent road holding on snow and ice (winter tyres) Feels safe and stable even on narrow mountain roads. Fuel efficent, did over 900 km on one tank driving to and from the west coast of Norway. Diesel engine is a bit noisy, but you get used to it. Plenty of room, it feels bigger on the inside than it does on the outside. Would definitely recommend it as a good all rounder and I like the style as well.

Submitted: 2010-10-15 | ID: 47109

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Skoda Fabia VRS 2010

Skoda VRS When a manufacturer puts one of the most up-to-date and best engines into one of the most cultivated hatchback bodies and when they liberate 180 bhp from just 1.4 litres (Thanks to turbocharging AND supercharging) in a small car weighing just 1318 kgs - and when great pains are taken to ensure that all subservient systems from the cutting edge DSG gearbox to the tuned suspension and XDF electronic diff. perfectly complement the 140mph performance: and when provision is made for the driver to be totally relaxed and in absolute control - you have the very epitome of the performance hatchback. That is what the new £15,700 (£17,360 as tested) Fabia VRS is. So - a lyrical interlude in the early autumnal splendour of Somersetshire was keenly anticipated. And with the need to put the VRS through its paces, I looked forward to open roads, uninhibited twisting bends and the avoidance of all that is stress inducing on British highways today. But first I had to suffer a hundred miles of motorway travel along with fellow ’tester’ and highway expert, Dick Turnip. (This time, without his trusty assistant, Slack Bess). We both concluded that whilst the engine was whisper quiet and creamy smooth, road noise was a touch intrusive at normal cruising speed.(Only to be expected, perhaps, with such a sporty set up and low profile tyres). On the day in question, a spell of Indian summer brought fragrant warmth to the bucolic air. In fact, comfortably ensconced in the little five door Skoda (This is a car perfectly proportioned, unostentatiously compact, yet surprisingly roomy) I confess I reached first of all for the air con control and luxuriated in mans control over the elements. Make no mistake: while this is not a traditional sports car of the ’olde sorte’, its eagerness to get up and go is indicative of its perky prowess and perfectly poised road manners. It has a certain cheekiness reminiscent of fluttering skirts and ’hell-for-leather’ gallops: no suggestion of peat moss here - more a suggestion of the ’Stirling’ kind. Press on; work the wheel; drive through the seven gears (which perform any kind of fandango one might wish - at the behest and control of the gear lever, the steering mounted paddles, the electronic brain or even the pilot) and - with a firm ’seat of the pants’ positivity about the suspension and steering, one feels that it would take an angry family of rhinos to deviate one from ones track. And speaking of rhinos, I can tell you that the horn most definitely works - as I discovered in making a countryman who was oblivious to road safety, jump out of his skin. He quickly slapped on the anchors on his rampant tractor with which he was attempting to construct a chicane-shaped dyke across the main road. I think he might have said ’corr’ and even followed that with a ’blimey’ or two. For those who fear that high performance entails extraordinary guzzling applications, I have to report to you that this is correct - but not in the way you think. Rather than displaying an ’Ice Cold in Alex’ type thirst, it sips daintily of the precious juice - which means that you don’t break out into a sweat every time you pull in for fuel. Skoda claim an overall fuel consumption of 45.6 mpg but I managed to get just about 42mpg. After a spell on country roads as darkness descended I stopped at a hostelry and there in the street light free darkness I caught a glimpse of the planet Jupiter shining brightly. I reflected whimsically that our planet could do with a gas giant or two to supply its energy needs. So - I congratulated myself on choosing a car that hit the spot. Not Jupiter’s red spot, I hasten to add, but that very tender spot in your correspondents wallet. However, where fuel is concerned it is not as economical as the previous, sadly missed, VRS diesel with manual gears (The new model is only available with petrol power and the DSG gearbox), which returned nearly 60 mpg. - so necessary in this mean, peevish, money-grabbing land where a chap is forced to extend his plastic card to the limit when refuelling or buying a bag of chips. For those who imagine superchargers went out with top hats and tails, this little wizard will have you waltzing all the way with a whistle on your lips. And you can tell Matilda it won’t hop like a kangaroo thanks to the uprated suspension and splendid steering. It’s a demon of a car ’point-to-point’ and I must tell you readers (In strictest confidence, of course), that on another occasion back on home turf, I crossed from Shropshire into Wales at supersonic speed. The question is, whether ’tis nobler in the mind to settle for yesterdays manual gears, less fuss and more mpg or else face a techno package that packs more punch and wipes most of the opposition clean. In other words, frills and thrills versus a modicum of sense and sensibility. You pay your money and you take your choice. Make no mistake, I love what’s been done to the VRS but miss what has been left behind. But the manufacturers, no doubt, assuredly feel confident that the opposition is right behind - in the rear view mirror.

Submitted: 2010-09-28 | ID: 47110

Kirsty, Lancashire

Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDi 2008

Buying my Fabia is the best decision I ever made... In fact, I only came across this review site as I am looking for brake pads, as over 2 years in, they still haven’t needed changing, so I though that I may get some in to save time when the day comes. It is powerful, comfortable, small enough to park easily and I get about 7-800km to a full tank of fuel. I love my fabia and have been looking at getting a convertible Yeti as my 2nd Car. I love Skodas!

Submitted: 2010-09-26 | ID: 47111

Jake Brigen, Yorkshire

Skoda Fabia 1.6tdi 2010

Well, what can I say about this thing? The test drive went great, but after 10,000 miles this car is such a let down; the handling so bad, tyre wear on the edge of the tyre is a prob, 42mpg at best, the dash rattles and it makes the warning lights come on. If you hit a pot hole the dash lights up! Maybe I got a Friday afternoon car? One thing for sure I will not buy another.<br /><br />

Increased tyre wear on the sides is a symptom of low tyre pressure. On combined cycle, our 1.2 TSI is achieving 6.5L/100km and there is a lot of city driving included. About the rattle, I would contact your dealer if I were you - from Czech Republic

Submitted: 2010-09-12 | ID: 47117

David Kendall, Lincolnshire

Skoda Fabia 2008

Awful car, warning lights keep coming on. Handles terrible, feels like it will roll over when you go around roundabouts. No glove box so no where to put things like sat navs. Manual key locks.

David, I do not know what are you talking about. I drive a Skoda Fabia 1.2,73hp; it is my fourth car so far and I couldnt be more pleased by the car. I don’t know what do you mean about the handling, the car handles perfectly on corners, even at high speed. The esp works perfectly and the tyres are sticking to the asphalt. The steering is extremely precise and the variable servo is a huge help. I don’t know what car you were driving but it certainly wasn’t a Skoda Fabia - from Macedonia, Former Yugoslav Republic Of

Dave, had same problems with mine - Jake Genfield from Derbyshire

What car are you talking about? I have never seen a car of any make without a glove box and my Fabia certainly has one, plus storage boxes under front seats and door pockets with elastic straps for tall items, map pockets on the back of front seats and a large boot. The only disappointment is the gutless 1.4 engine - it has to be revved to get any real power and frequent gear changes are needed if you want to get a move on. It’s a good job the gear box is sweet and easy to use or it would be a chore - Dave Wilson from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 47112

Marilyn Davies, Somerset

Skoda Fabia 2010

My son bought a little Skoda Fabia in 2006. It was the absolute basic model 1.2 petrol. I rapidly became quite impressed with it and after riding in it on and off for four years decided to buy my own. As I was retiring I bought a Fabia Elegance model 1.6 CR tdi which meant £35 a year to tax and lots of miles to the gallon. It certainly is everything complimentary that other reviewers have mentioned. I cannot find anything bad to say about it only that I would have preferred the leather in cream not black. It’s now done a thousand miles and I am extremely pleased with it.

Submitted: 2010-07-09 | ID: 47116

Diane Downie, Lancashire

Skoda Fabia Comfort 2000

I Love Our Skoda, it’s economical, nice to drive and roomy. It pulls our Folding Camper well too. All in all BRILLIANT I want my own one now!

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 47105

James Sebastion, England

Skoda Fabia 2008

I love this car, my partner and I looked at a number of cars and models (including Ford and Vauxhall), but the Skoda ’capped’ them all. We purchased the Fabia 3 diesel turbo, which is the top of the range model with all round air bags, air con, parking sensors, blah, blah, blah... The most important factor (to me) was that I wanted a ’solid’ car, the mainstream variants all felt and sounded ’tinny’. I had two baby boys to consider in purchasing a vehicle, and the Skoda was seen by accident as I was looking at the Mitsubishi, but could not find the salesmen, so the Skoda salesman stepped in, gave us some information, took us for a test drive, and let us have a good all round look and feel of the car. It is not my usual car, it is not fast, but it is a very solid, stable, good looking car with a vert torquey engine that can and does pull anything. I am happy and confident of my baby boys position and safety in the car, which was paramount in my making the decision. I hope that this review is helpful, as the car is brilliant and we got an excellent deal.

I’m looking into getting a 1.4 3 diesel Fabia on an 08 plate. Some reviews say it needs a timing belt after 4 years or 40k miles has this been your experience? - David Mather from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-02-02 | ID: 47103

Hujama, Buckinghamshire

Skoda Fabia 2007

I think it is a really bad car. It has a messed up tank and is too small. The leather ripped after a year and it has been giving me trouble since I bought it, but nobody wants to buy a Fabia. I regret buying it.

Submitted: 2009-12-07 | ID: 47106

John MacKinney, England

Skoda Fabia 3 2009

We have had four Skoda Fabia’s over the years - two diesels, and two petrols. Both petrols suffered from premature piston ring wear resulting in costly repair bills. Best avoided at all costs, unless you want to pay over the odds to have them fixed. Diesels have always been reliable, good fuel economy, well screwed together. We like them a lot, just a shame about the petrols.

I’ve had my Fabia petrol for 9 years and it has never let me down AT ALL. I recently took it to my house in France and I expect it to last another 9 years! - Chris Newbury from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2009-06-08 | ID: 47147

Peter Smith, Leicestershire

Skoda Fabia VRS 2004

The Fabia VRS 2004. Excellent Performance especially on long drives, proving not only to have exceptional torque when needed but providing unmatched economy as well.

Submitted: 2009-05-18 | ID: 47149

Dennis, Warwickshire

Skoda Fabia 1.2 2007

Having looked at, and test driven other cars, I was completely surprised by the Fabia. It is well built, plenty of room inside, the inside layout is what you would expect to find in a more up market car and is a dream to drive. My wife loves it and so do I. I find the 1.2 engine is eager, quiet on long runs, economical and does the job very well. If I change my car in the future, IT WILL BE FOR ANOTHER SKODA FABIA!

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 47146

Anna, Cambridgeshire

Skoda Fabia Fabia 3 1.9 TDI PD 2008

I have spent the whole day test driving cars, starting with the VW Golf which I had all but decided to go ahead with. I was then talked in to trying the Fabia. I reluctantly agreed. My ’brand snobbery’ combined with the fact that it was a slightly smaller car was telling me I wouldn’t like it. I have TOTALLY changed my opinion. The first thing I noticed was that the styling of the car is gorgeous, it has totally lost the boring ’sensible’ shape and has big, seductive feline headlights, and a sculptured bonnet and bumpers. When I got in the car it felt bigger inside than my current 306 and just as big at the Golf - I am 6ft 2in and there was plenty of room in the back for the sales guy. I took it through the town and on a dual carriage way and I am impressed with the handling, the acceleration and the braking. With this car you also get features as standard that you have to pay extra for on virtually all other makes. These include cruise control, climate control, rear parking sensors and alloy wheels, to name but a few. The interior feels just as good quality as the VW, the stereo is exactly the same, and the only difference is that you get more gadgets to play with for your money. All other cars I looked at for the same money were basic models and at least 6 months older, with much more that 5000 miles on the clock (I was looking to buy a used car). If like me you are looking at the Fabia but have the ’brand snobbery’ looming in the back of your mind, lose it. Be proud that you are making the intelligent choice in buying a nice looking car, that is great to drive, with excellent reliability, and all the features you thought you couldn’t have for your budget.

Submitted: 2009-03-23 | ID: 47145

John Caulfield, Northern Ireland

Skoda Fabia 2004

I love my Fabia. Have had her for four years now. Absolutely no trouble. Getting another soon.

Submitted: 2008-10-10 | ID: 47133

Stephen Lewin, Durham

Skoda Fabia VRS 2004

This is probably the best car I have ever owned. I have it from new and the only thing that has gone wrong is a passenger wheel bearing and the rear wash motor. The car now has over 90000 miles. The performance from the 130bhp engine is excellent and brings a smile to your face when you floor it. Overtaking is an absolute breeze and the best part it averages 50mpg around the doors. Take it easy on a run and I have managed over 70mpg believe it or not. This is the last week I will be using the car as I am in the process of changing it for a pro_ceed sport. I only hope my next car is as good as my little Skoda.

Submitted: 2008-09-24 | ID: 47134

John Maitland, Aberdeenshire

Skoda Fabia 1.9 sdi 2001

6 years I had this car and it only required 1 set of brake pads and 1 side light bulb plus 1 set of tyres. It returned 66 miles to the gallon running at an average of 65 miles per hour. Excellent performance Ps I now have a new 1.9 tdi 100up - until now no problems.

Submitted: 2008-08-07 | ID: 47132

Ian Welhiem, England

Skoda Fabia 1.4 TDI PD 80 Estate 2008

Just simply an amazing car...well designed & built with plenty of space everywhere. The 1.4 TDI engine is superb with loads of power, and although not the quietest of units is not obtrusive in anyway and not really noisier than any other modern diesel. It offers a pleasantly reassuring high pressure diesel sound at tick over and I’m getting over 70mpg on a run easily. This car handles bumps and corners really well, and is comfortable over big distances. Comfortable cruising speed is between 75-80mph on motorways and it’ll hold this speed all day up or down hill. I’m happy!

Submitted: 2008-07-28 | ID: 47138

Charles Smith, Worcestershire

Skoda Fabia Elegance Estate 2006

My third Skoda, only one fault in 2 years, wire broke from starter motor - RAC and Skoda assist fixed at road side, they took the car to the dealer and myself home. Skoda supplied a Vectra for the weekend (not a good car). Cruises happily at 75mph on the motorway, albeit with speedometer saying 80 mph, just under 4,000rpm. MPG range from 38/42 around town to 45 on journeys, the only down side is that the engine needs 98 octane petrol, happy with 97 though. Very free revving unit with peak torque at 4,000rpm and power at 6,000 rpm, very easy to hit limiter at 6,500 rpm. Good dealer, with previous Skoda, at a service, changed silencer 4 weeks before warranty out as could have gone before the next 10,000 service!

Submitted: 2008-06-16 | ID: 47139

Rob, Sussex

Skoda Fabia 2008

First of all, I think your original reviewer (Shamus) must be on drugs and that he should indeed have his head stuck in a cement mixer etc. The Fabia is without doubt the best supermini money can buy. It is reliable, cheap to run and very well built. I am on my 3rd Fabia since 2001 and have not had a single fault to contend with in that time.

Submitted: 2008-06-10 | ID: 47140

Shamus Needley, Kent

Skoda Fabia 2007

Recently I sold my old car, a Honda Day. You would have thought that was a good idea, so did I until I test drove the Fabia. Even in comparison with the feeble Honda Day, I felt like a three year old driving a push car. The interior was almost entirely made out of a tacky plastic, the type you would find in a 90’s Korean made car (and a push car). To be honest, the type of person who drives this car is ether a recently escaped convict, or James Cornford. I hope I am neither of the two, and based on that reason, i would have my head stuck in a cement mixer while somebody serves me haggis on a red hot poker via my anus. A bad, no, TERRIBLE CAR. Full stop.

This is not a review but simply a tiresome rant which says a lot more about you than it does about the car. Other people have had different experiences. If you did not like the car then why did you buy it in the first place? Food for thought - FM Hope from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Oh dear, sounds like he’s not a happy chappy. I’ve just sold a year old Yaris to go back to Skodas, now my 5th and its like driving a roller compared to the Yaris - Ray Drury from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-04-14 | ID: 47135

Jenna Knox, Warwickshire

Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI vRS 2007

Fabulous car! Truly a SUPER-mini. Bags of space, surprisingly fun to drive and good price.

Submitted: 2007-11-01 | ID: 47142

Margaret Smith, Fife and Kinross Shires

Skoda Fabia 2007

This is an absolutely fantastic car. Similar in design to the Volkswagen Polo, this is a spacious, with plenty of interior room, and available at an excellent price ( around the £8000 mark ). I chose this over the Vauxhall Corsa and am delighted with my choice. 5 stars.

Submitted: 2007-10-19 | ID: 47141

Marek Berger, Westmoorland

Skoda Fabia 2 1.4 TDI 2007

Fuel economy is disappointing ( less than 40mpg ) though handling and comfort are good. The new car price is very reasonable but I suppose this is really a no-frills choice that is reliable but unadventurous.

Submitted: 2007-10-04 | ID: 47144

Andrew, Northamptonshire

Skoda Fabia Fabia 3 1.6 16v 2007

I test drove the 1.2 model in May, and liked the way the car handled on the road, but found it to be woefully under powered. So I ordered the 1.6 which I got 2 months ago. Driving it I have found that it is very quick and torquey, but I do think that it is a bit low geared, 70mph in fifth gear and the engine is at nearly 4000 revs. I do find that that at speed it is sometimes a little difficult to control due to its fairly high seating position and soft suspension, and this also leads to noticeable body roll in corners, but you get used it. On long motorway journeys it is very comfortable and very quite for a small hatchback. When you first drive one you feel as if the brakes are not doing much, due to the way it nose dives, again soft suspension, but I was very shocked the first time I hit them at speed at how quickly it stopped, although in the wet I sometimes feel that the abs kicks in a little to soon. On the whole I find this to be a great not-so-little, little car, comfortable, quite economical (I average 32mpg but I put my foot down a lot), well equipped, reasonably quick car. I do think however that its price is a little excessive.

Submitted: 2007-10-01 | ID: 47143

• A response has been made to Allan Robinson (04/06/2012 21:13:56)
  • A response has been made to Jake Brigen (12/09/2010 21:30:40)

• "I have just had my back brakes replaced, pads, discs, cylinders etc, now the power steering is intermittent, also after I left car for mechanic it wo..." (Jane, 12/04/2014 15:41:53)
  • "The cigarette lighter has stopped working on my Skoda Fabia which I use for sat nab and phone charger. I realised it must be a fuse so I purchased th..." (Bev, 21/03/2014 14:30:23)
  • "When I lock my Skoda Fabia after a while the 2 front windows come down for no reason? The car still stays locked but the windows are down? (vrs)..." (Tony Williams, 21/03/2014 09:54:05)
  • "My Skoda Fabia`s power steering light comes on when driving and the power steering cuts out. I have been quoted over £800 to fit a new pump. I know t..." (John Hathway, 03/01/2014 12:24:11)
  • "Last week I was driving uphill on the autobahn travelling 120 kph and my Skoda Fabia started losing power before reaching middle way. Speed fell belo..." (Raymond, 23/12/2013 11:07:56)

• Beth's question has been answered: "Had the same issue. Garage replaced door catch, but that wasn’t the problem. In the end it turned out to be the window motor. This is somehow connecte - N D from England' '..." (24/02/2014 21:19:51)
  • Paul Marshall's question has been answered: "Is it a simple case of the fog light switch being on as they will only come on when the headlights are on. On my car it’s a pull out for on and push i - Steve Juden from Surrey' '..." (27/11/2013 19:47:16)

Skoda Fabia

vRS - The hot hatch segment is hugely competitive – which is good news for British drivers, as we tend to be one of the biggest markets in the world for them. And the choice is now even greater with the addition of the hotted-up version of Skoda’s Fabia, the vRS. It might not exactly be the prettiest car [...]

An image of the Skoda Fabia vRS