SEAT Altea XL consumer car reviews and road tests

SEAT Altea XL consumer reviews by year of make:2008 2009 2011

SEAT Altea XL consumer car reviews

Nick McLoughin, Yorkshire

SEAT Altea XL 2011

Lovely drive, I have previously had three Citroen Picassos, the last being the C4 7 seater DSG, so it had a hard act to follow, but so far, after one year, it is doing a great job. It is easy to handle with very positive steering and excellent pick up when you need to put your foot down. Very responsive. It is very economical, although there is not quite as much internal room as the Citroens, but you can’t have everything. The only trouble is that when my son, who is my second driver, gets hold of it I have to crowbar him out, he can’t get enough of it and his last car was an Audi Quatro 3 litre with tiptronic. He says it is just like driving the Audi, same gearbox, same handling and stability. And to compare the Altea to the Audi, is saying a lot.

Hi Nick, I have bought the Black 2.0 tdi SE COPA XL. 13 plate, What a lovely car and drive, 140ps 236ft-lb -320nm plenty of power when needed. I’m very impressed with all the kit aswell on the SE COPA. sat nav, b.tooth, c.control, auto lights, wipers, alloy wheels, 8 speakers, SD CARD SLOT, 5" COLOUR SEAT MEDIA TOUCH SCREEN, tinted back windows, c.locking, alarm. oh and a 2 tier massive boot. Only selfish thought or wish, it had a better 1st gear. 125 mph top end. shhhh I’ve got 130 mph. (boy with a new toy). - from Herefordshire

Submitted: 2012-03-23 | ID: 47019

M Timberlake, Sussex

SEAT Altea XL Stylance 1.9 TDI 2008

This my third VAG Tdi and my second SEAT. I continue to be impressed by the VAG build quality and the road holding of the XL is surprisingly good. The suspension may be too firm for some and the rear seats when folded do not result in a flat loadspace. What I do not understand is why the performance and emission and economy of the PD engine is such a backward step from the previous 1.9 TDI with conventional injectors. The 105bhp engine provides mediocre performance in the XL which is further reduced to poor performance and thirsty motoring if the climate control is used. The tailgate on mine gets covered with sooty specs which is due to the marginal combustion caused by fundamentally poor fully computerised EGR control - inexcusable on a modern diesel! Add to this the fact that the cambelt, in common with all VAG PD engines, requires changing every 3/4 years and you may think twice before you decide to own one. This car required a new dual mass flywheel and clutch at 8k (under warranty) which is also another component like the second rate climate control compressor with built in failure. My vehicle has only done 15K and I’m disappointed. My two previous VAG vehicles, a Toledo and an Octavia were better performers, were much quieter and used far less fuel. Oh and you will need fully synthetic oil in the PD at £8 a litre.

Submitted: 2010-08-02 | ID: 47018

Alan Hurt, Cheshire

SEAT Altea XL 2008

I have the 2L auto. It is one of the best cars I have driven and the load space is big.

Submitted: 2010-07-05 | ID: 47017

Wull Scott, County Antrim

SEAT Altea XL se 2009

Second SEAT Altea XL I have owned, 1.9 tdi, great car. I am 66 years old, there’s plenty of room for stiff legs, ample room for grandchildren and their luggage going to school. Put your foot down and it feels like a boy racer car, feels great, but when things go past you it makes you realise it’s time to slow down. SEAT is five star motoring at very good prices. If I survive I certinly will buy another SEAT Altea XL to ferry my great grandchildren around.

Hi survived so far, now 70 yrs. old. Have a 2011 Seat Altea 2.0 xl se cr tdi. The best car I have ever owned, a flying machine for a 70 year old. Over 50 miles to the gallon £243 for full comp bonus pro insurance dream car. I’m looking to change to 2013 same Seat model. Don’t forget, Seat make a better car, best dealers don’t take us oldies to the cleaners when we try to change our cars. We have kept you in business for over 50 years. - Will Scott from County Antrim

Submitted: 2010-02-14 | ID: 47015

DAniel Lea, Oxfordshire

SEAT Altea XL 1.9 TDI 2008

Picked up the Altea XL second hand in June 2009 as my family were out growing my supermini! I’ve had a SEAT Leon in the recent past which I enjoyed, nice and perky, lots of grunt but well made, so picking another SEAT was an easy choice. Obviously, it’s a lot bigger than the Leon but I can just about pretend that I’m still in a hot hatch, it’s got good acceleration, looks pretty on the eye too. The TDI engine is great, well it is a Volkswagen! And I get good fuel economy out of it. I don’t keep too much tabs on it but I’m not heading to the petrol station every other day, so I’m pleased about that. Would I recommend one? No! Unless you’ve got a family!! That’s when I would totally recommend it!

Submitted: 2010-02-13 | ID: 47014

• A response has been made to Nick McLoughin (23/03/2012 10:06:00)
  • A response has been made to Wull Scott (14/02/2010 19:59:21)

SEAT Altea XL

2.0 TDI Stylance - SEAT prides itself on making cars with flair, passion and spirit – cars for customers who want to stand out from the crowd. You may or may not agree, but on a more practical level, the Altea XL is an accomplished all-rounder with the biggest boot in its class.

An image of the SEAT Altea XL 2.0 TDI Stylance