Renault Trafic consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Trafic

Renault Trafic consumer reviews by year of make:1995 1996 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

Renault Trafic consumer car reviews

vince, Northamptonshire

Renault Trafic 2002 - 2006

do not buy a renault trafic van, they have more faults than my wife.they have inherent problems that the french know all about but they know that they would go bankrupt trying to put things right.be WARNED, this van spends more time off road than on it.

Submitted: 2014-08-22 | ID: 101944

paul, Flintshire

Renault Trafic 2006 - 2014

I bought a brand new traffic last week (28/04/14) 2 days after picking the van up it would not start at all!! Phoned the AA and he didnt know where to begin so i got it towed back to the dealership for them to sort, absolutely shocking ive spent 11000 +vat on a van that cant do 100 miles,

Submitted: 2014-04-29 | ID: 94892

Andy Jackson, England

Renault Trafic 2008

My auto manual Renault Trafic is giving me a huge concern. It goes into neutral each time I stop at the traffic lights and when I want to move it takes ages to get it into 1st gear. It constantly shows a symbol like a horn and until that disappears it will not move. Someone please help because I need to get it running. The other time I tried to reverse and and I caused a huge traffic jam on a busy road.

Submitted: 2014-03-24 | ID: 46815

Jake Kent, Cornwall

Renault Trafic 100 dci 2006

I bought the used van about a year ago from Bristal Trade Commercials. By the time I had driven it back from Bristol I had various problems and lights on the dash, no revs after start up for about 15 seconds, juddering whilst trying to pull away and a nasty whining noise over the engine. I was told this how the turbo sounds in all of them. After paying for a various diagnostics I have so far replaced the boost pressure sensor which seemed to make no difference at all. The alternator then blew up and since being replaced the van no longer whines. Basically it was sold to me with a dodgy alternator, screwed boost pressure sensor and injector problems as well as a knocking in the front somewhere and as rusty old oil filter which split and made one hell of a mess - this is a very tidy looking van with average mileage and a supposed 60-point check before sale. I have now had a diagnostics at a diesel injection specialist who have told me injectors are not right and need bench testing and probably at least one needs replacing. I have taken it once to a Renault garage, Dales of Scorrier, who quoted me £800 to replace my alternator and battery. I bought a new alternator myself for £116 and got a mechanic to put it on for £30 there was nothing wrong with my battery. I have driven myself to distraction trying to get to the bottom of all these problems. Everywhere I take it they want large sums of money just to diagnose the problems with no guarantee it will help or fix the problem or even indicate what the problem exactly is. I have been on every forum and piece of information available on the world wide web and it seems everyone has the same problems with these vans. I conclude they are POORLY DESIGNED and therefore very UNRELIABLE and PROBLEMATIC with most people experiencing the same problems spending large sums replacing this sensor and that flywheel and this part and that and it all largely makes no difference! Renault and their dealerships must know all these problems off by heart but still want a fortune to even look at it charging you at every possible twist and turn extortionate amounts when really it their fault in the first place. My advice is DON’T TOUCH ONE WITH A BARGE POLE unless your have lots of money to waste, the patience of a saint, and a back-up vehicle! I have squandered a year’s savings and a loan from my mother-in-law! DON’T BELIEVE THE POPULAR REVIEWS ONLINE unless they are from actual owners of the vans. Period. Every mechanic I have spoken to at many different garages thinks they are rubbish as are the new T5 transporters - that says it all really - as they fail to properly fix these all the time! Wish I’d bought a T4. Hope you found this helpful. Please don’t waste your money. Rant over!

Submitted: 2014-03-24 | ID: 46814

Steve Mitchell, Hampshire

Renault Trafic 2011

Very nice bus, 118,000 on the clock and still running well. I’m very happy with my Trafic.

Submitted: 2014-03-07 | ID: 46813

John Grey, Surrey

Renault Trafic 2002

I bought my Trafic in 2005. I cannot say enough good things about this van. I agree with other comments about service. Do regular services on the vehicle and it will run forever. I travelled with my rock band around Europe in this van (and without one single problem). I moved back to Australia in 2011 and shipped my Trafic back as well. I have recently sold the van to a friend who was looking at various other vans and was a bit sceptical as there aren’t to many facts about these vans in Australia as it is not main stream. Toyota rules the roost here. Any way after finally taking the plunge to purchase the vehicle he absolutely raves about this van and now says that he should have bought it ages ago. This guys is head over heels in love with this van. I am returning to the UK this year and on the look out for another Trafic. The best medium size van on the market and I myself am a convert to these vans.

Ok, so what should I look for or look out for as I to want one of these and there just is not enough info on them? - from Australia

Submitted: 2013-12-27 | ID: 46810

Ian Clarke, Cambridgeshire

Renault Trafic 2012

I am currently in a dispute between the dealer and tyre manufacturer Good Year. After only 5300 the front tyres started to de-laminate and shed most of the tread and was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem? I have had to purchase 2 new front tyres as this is the Renault UK procedure and after 2 months have received no payment and have been told Good Year have destroyed my tyres. I now have concerns about the safety of the two rear tyres and spare supplied from new. Any help would be much appreciated.

These tyres were your property. I had same problem with mitcelins for my BMW car. They started to shread. BMW sent them back to Mitch but they were lost. I threatened them with legal action also to tell the local press and they gave me 2 new ones. Don't let it drop mate! Dennis - Dennis King from Durham

Submitted: 2013-10-07 | ID: 46812

Zubeer Khan, England

Renault Trafic 2004

Hello! We purchased a 2004 Renault Trafic and within the first 50k miles 3 gearboxes went and the turbo, egr valve, wiring loom etc. It constantly kept braking down and Renault did not spot a leaking drive shaft, which was a factory error. This vehicle was close to driving us to bankruptcy, so we decided to buy a Toyota Hiace, which has been serviced regularly and only needed a light bulb changing. I would never buy a Renault Trafic again and would give it a 0 star rating.

Submitted: 2013-06-30 | ID: 46808

Mary, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic 2011

Had the Trafic for 2yrs, it’s adapted with a ramp for wheelchair access and apart from every time I go round a corner or over a bump I love it. For some reason the doors unlock and light comes on some days it’s like a flipping disco driving round a bend, been back to the garage and they say it’s because of the ramp. The adaptions garage says it’s nothing to do with the ramp. I’m so pleased it’s on motorbility. Other than the doors it’s comfy and I’ve never had any other problems with it. It drives well.

Submitted: 2013-06-16 | ID: 46809

Mark, England

Renault Trafic sl27dci 6 speed 100dci 2004

Just bought a 54 plate sl27dci 6 speed 100dci. It was in private use from new, now its working for a living! The first week the power steering pump cracked in sub zero temperatures. I’ve had it a month now and racked up 2k with no problems, a great drive, but my review is in response to all the "buy a Transit , Vito, Transporter" comments. I had a v220 cdi made in Spain I found out after with Italian electrics (everything you can think of went wrong as its NOT German). You don’t hear about Transporter complaints much due to 60% of Transporters being in private use or in the the VW scene so they never see a hard days work, but a company I contract to never see their brand new one due to constant electrical failures, transits pumps, clutches etc. The moral of the story is all vans are build on a budget so they’re all rubbish.

Submitted: 2013-05-12 | ID: 46806

Lorraine Bennet, Essex

Renault Trafic 2007

Have given my Renault Trafic 1* because there was no option for zero stars. I bought it privately at 2 1/2 years old with 34,000 on the clock, it is not a works vehicle I use it for private use to get me and my dogs to shows, so was pleased not to have to pay the VAT. Within a year of owning the vehicle it had wiring problems (new wiring loom), the air con packed in and I didn’t even bother getting it fixed as I had similar problems with my old Fiat Scudo. At 43,000 it needed a new clutch. It failed the MOT on a problem with the rod arm then the following year failed again because of the rod arm and yes you guessed it it was the other side. I then needed a new gear box and another new clutch. Then my electric window went so needed a new motor for that. Over the past three weeks I have need a new hose, something to do with the water, a new water pump, a new battery - the usual consumables as in a service, break pads and discs. Then to top it all yesterday I found out I need a new starter motor. Oops had problems with the back lights too. The vehicle is now 6 years old and in the last 3 yrs I have spent over £5,000 on it. When I spoke to Renault they said I should have taken it to them rather than have a private mechanic to fit parts and do the work - yes that sounds great, but we all know that would’ve costed me closer to £10,000. Renault what a load of absolute trash. Would I buy another? Absolutely NOT! Would I recommend one? NEVER!

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 46805

Gareth Sloggett, England

Renault Trafic 2.1 diesel 2001

Bought a Renault van for £200 6 yrs ago. It has been to Morocco 4 times, France 7 times, Malta 5 times, Italy twice plus Spain. I have left the vehicle in France for 2 yrs and it has never let me down. It averages 50mls per gallon and the guy I bought it off is fuming as he bought a £9000 Volkswagen, which is always in the garage with cylinder head problems, new injectors and handbrake issues. He is gutted as my old Renault just keeps plodding along. The best vehicle I have ever owned and it cost £00’s.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 46807

Arnis, Newport

Renault Trafic lwb 2007

We have 4 Trafics 3 x 2007 and one 2012. Each vehicle was bought new. Till 150 000 miles there are no problems, but after that you have to sell them. All depends on how you drive. I like this van, it has good fuel economy (7-8 l), plenty of space and drives well. Ours have had chip tuning from 115hp to 150hp. We also have VW Multivan and I have to say we have many more problems with this..

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 46770

Scott Bagshaw, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic 2008

It was at 60k miles when the misfire started. My local garage couldn’t remove the injector and then a mobile injector guy broke the injector in the head, so said it needed a new engine and still charged me! I spoke to Renault and they gave me Sharp Autos number. I spoke to Jack, got the van to him and he removed it and repaired it to drive home. Very impressed with the service provided as this van has been the best I have owned including Transits and Vitos and it would have been a shame to have scrapped it.

Submitted: 2013-03-31 | ID: 46769

Malcolm Saunders, Staffordshire

Renault Trafic LWB Minibus 1996

My Trafic LWB Minibus has done 398,000 miles and I have only had the clutch and thrust bearing/slave cylinder replaced, apart from the usual wear parts ie brake pads/discs. It’s been a great and very reliable vehicle. The reason for this longevity is down to regular servicing. So look after it and it will look after you!

Submitted: 2013-02-11 | ID: 46768

Dave, Cheshire

Renault Trafic 1.9 dcI 2008

I bought this vehicle from new. In the first three years under warranty it had 2 new gear boxes, 4 new gear lever shifts, a new engine, 2 new door window winders and 2 complete new sets of keys. AND I LOOK AFTER MY VEHICLES! After the warranty ran out and with only 36000 miles on it, it’s had a new fuel pump after the original one disintigrated at a cost of £1200 plus new cam shaft sensors at £495, a new pressure sensor at £675 and new load sensor brake compensator valve complete for £390 (the valve works fine but the connecting rod snapped and unlike most other vans you cannot buy a replacement connecting rod which comes at a cost of around £25 on most other vans). All the above and the van has only done 70,000 miles from new. In anyone’s terms these vans are the biggest heap of rubbish on the roads.

I have had my Renault Trafic sport for 3 years and it’s currently done 90000 miles (ninety thousand) and it has had.... er.... an MOT. I’ve had 2 others at a previous company both maxed 100000 miles without a fault. I hear these vans have poor gearboxes but I’ve yet to have any issues at all. Not even an oil leak... Oh hang on I did have to put air in the tyres last week - Si Lord from England

I’ve had a Trafic from new in 2004 and it`s still running well. It blew a turbo 2 weeks after delivery and we thought we had bought a lemon, but it now has 185,000 miles on it with only M.O.T’s, consumables such as brakes, tyres etc to add to the running costs. I have never had to put oil in it between services, it still looks good and is still a great drive. I cannot rate this van highly enough. Let`s face it, it’s difficult to travel 5 or 6 miles without passing one (or one of it’s derivatives) so they can’t be bad!! - Rodger Caldwell from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 46765

Vince Fox, Northamptonshire

Renault Trafic LWB 2005

If you want to empty your bank account buy one of these vans, in other words don’t go near one! I was going to list everything that has gone wrong with mine, but I don’t have all night.

Take your pikey Transit rust bucket and Ford banner back where it belongs mr chav. Trafic, Vivaro outnumbers the dated Transit on the UK roads, this is due to their timeless good looks, practicality and comfortable car like drive, avoid a cheap high miler non historied lemon and enjoy one of the best vans out there today. The injector problem is a well documented easy fix, an hours work to remove the metal scuttle tray and seal it with silicone at the joint and then re bolt (5x small torx bolts)/fix it to the windscreen frame, this keeps the engine bay bone dry and stops water dripping onto the head causing misfires etc. Apart from that poor design these vans are excellent - Adam Ant from England

hey, brain the size of an ant. you are a know nothing plum pal if you think in that tiny space between your ears that the only problem with these vans is the injectors.try gearbox problems,egr valves,clutch slave and master cylinder,injectors that seize in the head,wiring looms that like to catch fire,turbo's that when they pack up destroy a five grand engine.i take it you work for renault uk.THESE VANS ARE NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. - from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2012-12-12 | ID: 46763

Leslie Brown, Spain

Renault Trafic dci150 2008

I have had the van about 1 year now. Absolutely no trouble in 45,000km of driving. It handles well and is comfortable to drive. I don’t have any real major complaints about the stock van. It does seem rather unfinished in the cargo area I have to say. I have put in an industrial rubber mat flooring and it looks much better now. Rear cargo panels are still pretty crude looking. People come up to my van when I deliver a bike, so the finish does matter to me. Wind noise can be reduced substantially by filling exterior mirrors with foam. I also stuck on some curved 90° plastic profile on the inside curve of the mirrors. This helps air flow. Also stuck down the windshield rubber seals with silicone, further reducing noise... I think they really need to re-design the mirrors though as the stock ones make too much noise. I have also sound-proofed the doors and bonnet. But it’s not what I’d call a particularly noisy van to start with so it’s pretty darn quiet now for a work van. I came from a transit connect, which was significantly louder in the cabin. I’ve done some performance and economy modifications to my van and most have improved the ride and fuel economy. Put a few belly pans underneath (middle, behind the fuel tank and all down both sides). I think Renault need to take a serious look at the underneath of the van this as you can get significantly better mileage by installing a decent belly pan, wheel spats and front air dam/splitter. I mean the exterior is pretty aero. Even better fuel economy is totally possible and that would definitely help it sell; I can now get over 1200km on a tank of diesel, probably more as I still haven’t applied all the mods at the same time and filled it up completely. For instance, I got some front and  rear wheel spacers, which improves corner speed. I did change over to metallic turbo pipes also, that made a noticeable difference in performance (seems like less turbo lag, better throttle response). I’m using the OEM air filter, but I did rig up a ram air tube off one of the front fog light holes. I insulated the cold side airconditioning pipes and dashboard and the AC is now freezing (I now use it less, better fuel economy). What else? I did get the van lowered recently, but the ride is now pretty bumpy even with the stock wheels. Had I have known, I probably would’ve left the stock springs on there and saved the €€€. The plus side is the van is easier to get in and out of (cabin and cargo section), better fuel mileage and definitely much FASTER around corners (speed bumps are a PITA however). I do mostly rally-type roads and highway driving in Tenerife, hence cornering ability is paramount. Van is fitted with anti-roll bars stock. Body roll is practically non-existant now! If you do city driving, don’t get it lowered, it’ll just annoy you. Not practical enough. The front speakers are a bit dodgey, however, the sound system doesn’t sound that bad. I’m using the stock CD player. It’s ok. Overall, it’s like all modern cars, if you stuff around removing/modding bits you can break some of the flimsier stuff so it’s better not to touch anything while under warranty. I broke a RHS wing mirror, replaced it, and now the electric motor doesn’t work, but it’s my fault I guess. Overall, I’m not sure I’d buy the same van again. I’d probably look closer at a Mercedes Vito, but at the time it was out of my price range and the deals weren’t as attractive as over at Renault HQ. The only plans for the van are lots more miles, perhaps a rear spoiler from vanstyling and maybe a rear entry platform (I’ve slipped a few times entering the van on the narrowish stock bumper).

Submitted: 2012-10-25 | ID: 46761

Christ Rudge, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic 2005

Well chuffed with van at first, nowhere near as good on fuel as 100 bhp van though. The gear change was rough, it didn’t hold on hills, and had a mind of its own. If in a rush, when R selected, it has been known to flash in R, then go back into 1. That cost me a new bumper! Great to drive, great looks, quiet and comfy, and that’s where it ends. After 130k probs started. New rack needed, then the van stalled in gear. Had to remove changer and replace it. Luckily I had a spare that I came across a while ago and all was good for a month, then bit by bit I ran out of spares for the robot and ended up converting it to a manual. It now Works fine, except no reverse lights now and a mini disco on the dashboard. Best to lease not buy these vans.

Submitted: 2012-09-22 | ID: 46762

Gee Blundell, Lancashire

Renault Trafic 2006

The van’s revs fluctuate between 1000 and 2000.

Submitted: 2012-09-08 | ID: 46757

Niz Hasham, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Renault Trafic sl 115 dci 2010

I’ve had my Trafic from new, one owner driver. At three months from new I had various lights; airbag, seatbelt, engine management and various others, staying on permanently even when the van is switched off and the key has been removed!! The LED display then started showing an oil pressure fault, so I called the dealership who said "drive it down to us". When I said if it would do any harm they said "I doubt it". I took it down and left it with them for a day and had to hire a van myself to keep me going! They called the following day to say it was a loose wire behind the dash! 8 months later it had the same problem! Renault replaced the dash as they said it was PCB fault! By this time the van had only done 11000 miles. At 22000 miles noise from gearbox was gradually getting louder and I was told it was a wheel bearing! It continued to get worse until 24000 miles when I told them to take the van back as I wanted to go elsewhere. They dipped the oil and said there were metal particals in the oil and it therefore needed a new gearbox; this was done under warranty. Two days after having to hire a van again at my expense I got a call saying there was a problem with the water pump housing, which I found out they’d bashed when refitting the new gear box, so that was another day off the road. When I did collect it I immediatly noticed something was wrong with the steering. I took it back and told them. They checked it over and said they were sure it was nothing. Two weeks later it felt like the steering column was coming loose. I took it back and they had a look and told me they couldn’t find anything, but they would order a new steering column! Why? This time I found out about Renault’s buisness promise, and that I should have been given a courtesy van everytime the van had been in! Renault UK organised a hire van on my behalf to be at the dealership at 0800. I got there but no one knew about hire van; it turns out the guy that knew was on a day off and hadn’t told anyone the van was outside. Three months on and the same dash problem has reoccured. Mileage of 27,350 and one owner driver. Piece of junk! I’m currently in negotiations with Renault UK to get out of the leasing contract; 4 months penalty to pay and all they want to offer me is a measily £750 discount of a new Trafic. Why the feck would I want another one??! Never again will I set foot in Arnold Clark, Seafield Road, Edinburgh, or even contemplate another Renault van!

Submitted: 2012-08-06 | ID: 46758

Steve, England

Renault Trafic Sport 2011

No, Steve from England doesn’t work for Renault. He is self employed and relies on his van for work. He has had two Trafic Sports since 2008 neither of which have given him any bother. He just feels the need to balance some of the more sweeping statements made about these vehicles. They are ok in his book. Local main dealer servicing has been reasonable costwise and very efficient. If he had any complaint it would be about Arval the finance people who have been rubbish, but that is not the van’s fault.

Submitted: 2012-07-16 | ID: 46759

Renault Trafic SWB 2010

Steve from England, has lots of comments to make ,does he work for Renault? These vans are rubbish, most of the people who drive them will agree. My vans are serviced by main Renault dealerships, which is very, very expensive and I have driven all these miles personally. The repair bills are very nasty as everything that breaks is not covered by the warranty, no wonder Renault are closing 30% of their dealerships in 2012/2013. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Submitted: 2012-07-10 | ID: 46760

Jim Dixon, England

Renault Trafic 2003

I’ve had my van from new and have only got 66000 miles on clock. In the last week I now require a new gearbox (£2816.00), a new wiring loom and low pressure turbo sensor (1458.00) and today my power steering failed, which will be over a grand. The van is now only worth scrap value. What an advert for Renault and Vauxhall! This van should be given a wide berth.

Submitted: 2012-06-13 | ID: 46756

Brian Still, Wrexham

Renault Trafic Minibus 2008

I purchased a 2008 (58 reg) Trafic minibus with a 2 litre engine. It’s just gone over 200000 miles since new and is on the same engine, gearbox, turbo and clutch. The altenator died at 180000 and except for brakes and wearables it’s been a brillant allround minibus, which I have used for the taxi trade.

Submitted: 2012-06-05 | ID: 46753

Dave Clark, Leicestershire

Renault Trafic 2007

These vans are great, but it doesn’t take long before problems happen. My advice to anybody is once the problems start get rid. I’ve had mine two years and spent thousands. Anything and everything has been changed, but there are still more problems. It doesn’t matter where you take it they will always find more than one fault, which costs £££s and it will still go wrong afterwards. A load of rubbish. Don’t buy one unless you want lots of problems and to spend lots of money to get nothing solved.

Submitted: 2012-06-04 | ID: 46754

Mike, Northamptonshire

Renault Trafic 2005

Now at 145,000 miles with no real major issues. I would just endorse what other people say about regular servicing and driving style. I used to have it serviced at a main dealer, but they missed out too many things; reversing light bulb not replaced, air filter not renewd to the point where it had started to disintergrate! I started to do my own servicing at 110,000mls. I filled the gearbox with as much oil as possible and it seems to be alright so far. I can’t understand on these vans why the reverse gear ratio is so high? It’s like pulling away between 2nd and 3rd gear. I will be selling the van before the end of the year as I can get away with using a combo/connect van if I clear out the load area regulary. All in all I would say that some parts/design of this van are not up to the task of what it is intended for (commercial vehicle).

Submitted: 2012-05-30 | ID: 46755

Tejay Hucksley, England

Renault Trafic ll29 dci100 2002

I bought this van second hand from my friend who had it from new. I had to replace the turbo pressure sensor and the boost sensor together for £90 total. I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder in the transmission bell-housing, cost Approx £40, and recently I had to replace the MAF sensor due to me damaging it whilst doing an annual clean, when I changed the air filter. It is a brilliant van, which I try to service it every 18months. The mileage is 117600 and the van drives without fault. There are lots of bad reviews on these vans, but I can only assume they are from people flogging the vans guts out, people saying "van wont rev passed 3800rpm" well that’s the red line stupid, I never send my van passed 3000rpm. It pulls like a train and I don’t need it to go any more! I believe the vast majority of owners don’t know a lot about these vans, I would recommend you buy one of these vans from someone who services it themselves and can show receipts to prove you need not bother with main dealers unless you have to. My friend bought a Trafic from main dealer second hand and had bad clutch judder when pulling away. The main dealer said is was "characteristic" and told him to get used to it. I decided to investigate and suggested that we have a look at the clutch plate, so started stripping down at 08.00. I took front end off the van and found that the clutch plate was not aligned on the flywheel correctly; I never use an alignment too, l just use my sight and feel around the edges of the plate and the edge of the flywheel for even distance. There was plenty of meat left on the plate so I didn’t even bother changing the clutch, I just re-aligned it and put back together again. At 18.30 the van was up and running with no clutch judder! I really do believe that if you look after any car/van it will not let you down, although my cam belt did snap, but only because I did not change the timing belt when recommended, I did an extra 24,000 and she finally snapped, oh dear, bent valves, cost me £1900. I’m only a DIY mechanic at best and with hindsight I should have got a second hand engine and just changed it. Oh well, we all learn the hard way. To summarise: A good van if serviced. It suffers silly sensor problems, but these are easily rectified, for less than £200 for all the sensors; sensors are the biggest gremlin of these vans, lack of power, starting problems, idling issues are in my experience are all sensor related and all can be purchased from motor factors. I get excellent fuel consumption 645miles on a tank, don’t thrash it, 2000-3000 rpm max, 85mph max. A good van and at least it won’t rust away like a Vito or a Transit.

Where are you and do you repair Renault vans? - from Sussex

Well written mate, there are so many muppets out there who buy a cheap van with dubious history and then moan when they have to replace a part even at a high mileage, what is wrong with these morons? Great van, my Vivaro is a 2005 and looks new in gleaming white and at 65,000 and one year in of ownership has been a dream, I love this van. Previous vans: over 17 years 2x Astra vans = okay; 1x Nissan Urvan = excellent; 1x Scudo = okay; 1x VW Transporter = average; 1x Kangoo = okay; 1x Vivaro= best of the bunch - Greg Hammond from England

Submitted: 2012-05-09 | ID: 46746

Stellar Andrews, Sussex

Renault Trafic 27sl auto 2012

My last Renault Trafic did 130,000 miles in 3 year without fault. Tyres, Service and Brakes is all it ever needed. I drive up and down to Spain every 2 months or so. I slept, ate, drove and camped in it with my three cats. It pulled a 26ft caravan and a disability scooter,(inside) and two people most of its life. I’ve just bought a brand new Renault Trafic, which drives and looks even better than the last one and will be put through the same hectic life style as the other one was. The point is, look after your vehicle and it will look after you no matter what the make or model and it helps to have a good, helpful, and trustworthy mechanic. Despite the stories My Automatic Trafic runs fine. As did My Automatic Ford Transit a few years back. Have fun.

Submitted: 2012-05-02 | ID: 46749

David Aspin, Buckinghamshire

Renault Trafic 2004

This van has been a nightmare from start to finish. I have now had it just over 18 months and it has cost me over £4,000 in repairs; it has needed two gear boxes, clutch repaired twice, pump, netrack rod ends, break discs and pads. You name it! It has almost put me out of business as I can’t afford the repair bills. Run away. Seriously, run!

Firstly you bought it second hand, you don’t really know it’s history. but if the first gearbox went then see the garage that sold you the first one. Same answer for the clutch. The rest, well I take it you bought it as seen? I’ve had a Renault traffic since 2006 then 2009 and now a brand new one. None of them have even seen a repair shop except for services. Yours is very old and near the end of its life. All I can say is choose carefully next time where you buy and repair from - Stellar Andrews from Sussex

I agree with Stellar, I had a 2008 Trafic for just over 3 years and now have a late 2011 Euro 5 model and have not encountered a problem with either apart from 2 recalls dealt with during routine servicing. I think very highly of these vans and would be happy to recommend them. The newer ones have even more relaxed high speed cruising ability and I am getting another 3 mpg too overall - from England

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 46750

Renault Trafic 2007

Update: At 101,000 miles mine has needed new wiper blades, new discs, new pads, new steering rack and a new track control arm. Upon getting it back from the garage, no brakes, a loss of power steering when braking, the new steering rack was faulty and the track control arm loose. All this and a bill of over a thousand quid! You have got to be joking?!! So I have changed my mind, Renault vans are rubbigh, and this one is still under the unlimited 2 years warranty, but the warranty is not worth the paper it’s printed on! They don’t really care, they just take your money and run.

A 2007 model still under 2 year guarantee? - from England

At 101,000 miles needed new wiper blades?? Never!! Quelle surprise Rodney, quelle surprise! This sort of statement just bears out the fact that the sooner the driving test includes a physcological assessment the better! This is just typical of the sort of idiot who thinks that wiper blades should last for years, they should be changed ANNUALLY moron! Dear god, I just hope that he doesn’t have to wear glasses for driving, I can just imagine him moaning that he`s had to clean his glasses again! That’s twice this month, and have you seen the price of cleaning fluid for glasses?? No, I`m sorry but idiots like Will should never even be granted a licence to drive! - Mike Spendelow from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 46792

Renault Trafic 2010

This is an update on my last report on my 2010 Renault Trafic: I have now covered almost 100,000 miles. The only repairs so far are 1 wiper blade and garage said there is slight wear on the track rod end, which is not covered by warranty. I explained to the garage the one on the other side is ok so it’s a manufacturing fault, which we all know it is, so I want it fixed under the terms of the warranty. It’s still running on the original discs and has still never missed a beat. It’s still the most reliable van I have ever driven, but to my dismay there is a rust hole on the passenger door. This will be fixed under the paint warranty. My transport manager has just informed me that my van will be swapped for a Ford Transit at the next changeover. I will keep you all posted. P.S. My van is fully loaded at all times.

One track rod end is worn and the other one is not so "we all know it must be a manufactures fault". Ha Ha! This guy Will has missed his vocation! He really should be on the stage! How the guys at the garage must look foreward to him rolling up with his van, everyone likes a good laugh after all! He stands more chance of winning the lottery twice in a row! What a muppet! At our garage we regularly get all sorts of vehicles coming in for an M.O.T. and guess what? An awful lot of them fail because one of the track rod ends has worn! To my knowledge this has NEVER been due to a fault in manufacturing, simply wear, things do wear out you know and surprise, surprise not both sides at the same time! It would seem that Will is an employee of a company, as a driver, if I were him I think I would keep my mouth shut as sooner or later they are going to realise that they knowingly have let loose a person who is obviously deranged on the roads with something he can do a lot of damage with!! - Michael Spendelow from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 46799

Miles, England

Renault Trafic 2003

I had done 120,000 in my van with all parts going the distance. Problems only arose with replacement parts, getting only 15000 miles from a new clutch and 3000 from a spring! I could go on, but the point is and my mechanic is a reputable Renault mechanic and he agrees Renault are using substandard parts!

Submitted: 2012-01-16 | ID: 46801

James, Essex

Renault Trafic dci100 2002

My Trafic has done 178,000 miles and is still going strong. It starts and runs perfectly. The van is driven only by me, but still gets a good drive, only when warm, and is serviced every 6k without fail. Looking after the engine and greasing wearing parts keeps these vans working perfectly. My father bought the same van at the same time and has had nothing but problems; up to 76k it had issues with the fuel pump, altenator, starting/not starting, elec faults, but it had never been looked after/serviced adequately and does very hard days work. He would never recommend Trafics and he now has an 07 Transit which after 165k has never missed a beat even though it does get abused, but takes it better than the Trafic!

Submitted: 2012-01-04 | ID: 46798

Zaza, Gloucestershire

Renault Trafic 115 2007

Well... 5 out of 6 vans did have the turbo or head gasket replaced at 60K to 80K motorway miles from new (carried light trade tools, not bricks max 400 kg) and achieved 32-35 mpg. Also experienced all sorts of electrical problems and ball joints as standard going off each at 30K. Another company, same Traffic but 2009 model: Endless electrical problems on all 40 out of 40 vans; service lights coming one, or at night-time the headlights start moving up or down, or both headlight bulbs go after just 2 weeks of being newly fitted. Steering has light/heavy dead bands, so you can oversteer. The clutch was adjusted on many of the vans at 50-60K, then new one at 90K. Some vans survived clutch replacement to 100-110K, but no longer. Now a Vivaro, the ball joints, fish bones each needed replacing at 10-15K. Now at 70K and it has black smoke. Heating/air con on all vans above is good but it is impossible to adjust the temperature. Aircon on many vans was out of use by the second year due to leaking gas. All the vans did have problems with door locks and windows lift mechanisms. The radio has poor reception on the Trafic/ Vivaro and is very unstable on cornering. It is also not good on speed bumps when compared with a Toyota Hiace. The good bit is it’s more comfortable to drive than a VW T5, but the Transit has better back support (I bought a Transit for myself).

Submitted: 2012-01-02 | ID: 46797

Brian Ellway, Somerset

Renault Trafic LWB 2002

I have a 2002 Renault Trafic lwb, which has now done 159,000 and has never let me down. It’s reguarly serviced and has only needed: 1 steering pump, 1 ball joint and 2 trackrod ends (I do mount kerbs a lot being a window cleaner), new gear cables, 2 cam belts and I have just fitted an air flow sensor and that’s all. The engine and gearbox are very quiet and still work like new, but fuel consuption for work averages 42 mpg. I do not accelerate too hard or over-load the van, as this will cause gearbox problems and lower mpg. I am a fast driver and still get high fuel consuption. I have had many makes of vans and this is the best van I have ever owned. If you look at all the forums for different makes of vans you would never buy one at the end of the day, but if you look after it and treat it well it will look after you.

Well as time goes on at 164k I have just had all the bearings replaced in the gearbox and slave cyclender at a cost of £930. I have done now 168k but clutch I was told only half worn on that mileage, wow good eh? Then last week broke down wiring chuffing knocked out 3 and 4 injectors £220 for new wiring and connectors, van now goes great no faults at mo, but I have driven the new Ford Transit 08 reg - what a lovely drive and good fuel consumption so when the engine gives up I will scrap my van and go back to Transits, it seems to me Trafics are very good for 100k after that you start to get a lot of small probs and big ones but a great van to drive - Brian Ellwan from Somerset

Submitted: 2011-12-22 | ID: 46795

Ian Grace, Sussex

Renault Trafic 1.9 SWB 2006

Not strictly a Renault because it has a Nissan badge. It now has 180,000 miles on the clock from new April 2006 and it is running smoother than ever. Just a great, great vehicle. It had a new clutch at 145,000 and probably needs an Ambient Air Sensor replacing too, but nothing to be worried about. I’m going to buy another, but LWB on the understanding that they are all built by Renault. However reading the reviews am I sensible to move from the Nissan brand when I understand they are the same vehicle anyway badged by different Manufacturers?

All Renault/Vauxhall/Opel/Nissan low roofs are built in the same place at Luton. It’s really down to what dealership you prefer - from England

Railway tack crock sensor - Thirumalai Thirumalaij from India

Submitted: 2011-12-09 | ID: 46802

David Lloyd, Staffordshire

Renault Trafic 2003

Beware!! This van is the biggest pile of rubbish I have EVER owned. It had 60,000 miles when I purchased it, which should be nothing for a diesel right? Wrong! At 72,000 the gearbox went up the shute, costing £1500 repair. At 80,000 the air mass sensor went costing £400. At 85,000 the power steering pump went costing £500. For it’s M.O.T. it had massive oil leaks and needed the steering drop arm, and ball joints and the load sensing valve for the brakes had just fallen off. All in all it cost £950 in repairs! At 93,000 it had more oil leaks, the turbo oil feed pipes and another drop arm costing another £300. Now, to cap it it all at just over 100,000 the engine has seized solid and no, it’s not a broken cam belt. Nobody has any idea what is up. Renault’s price for a new engine is £2320 plus £800 fitting plus V.A.T. Avoid at all costs!

Same here mate, bought van brand new ’08 plate and now has 89k on the clock. At 36k, it needed a new power steering pump which the dealer replaced under warranty. At around 70k, it was the track rod ends and bits and bobs, no big deal. At 76k, the timing chain snapped and mangled the whole engine resulting in a replacement. After labour and parts (replaced clutch whilst engine was removed), this cost £3,750. I got the van back and after six weeks on the road, a bus hit my rear end and smashed me into the car in front. Fair enough just bad luck nothing to do with Renault. I have again recently replaced track rod ends at minor costs but now the sixth gear is whining badly and that’s with 89k on it now. Bear in mind, I have looked after the van from day one serviced properly personally and valeted once a week. Oh and more thing, the driver’s window won’t go down more than 4 inch. I love driving the van, it’s very comfy and pokey but I hate the reliability and Renault’s customer service. Seriously considering a VW - from Durham

At the company where I work (multidrop delivery), we have two Ford Transit (2008 & ’09) and two Renault Master (2007 & ’08). My Master van 2007: new starter motor, new clutch (hydraulics gone), new brakes, driver’s seat with a hole on the rhs. And new locks for sliding and back door. Only 49k miles on the clock. Ford Transit: both has new starter motors and 2009 has a new power steering pump + new ECU. 2008 has also new lock for a sliding door and the key. Both Transit, no more than 20k - from London

Just thought I would follow this up now I found out why the engine seized. The CRANKSHAFT snapped where at one of the big end journals! Yes, that’s right, broken crankshaft, unbelievable! Do yourselves a favour and avoid these vans because the repair bills will kill you - David Lloyd from Staffordshire

I have a Trafic 53 just gone over 100,000 I’m on my 4th gear box, had new turbo, new head (after glow plug broke at Renault service centre) in total about £10,000 worth of repairs. Don’t touch this van, it will cost you money! - Dennis Johnson from Hertfordshire

Well I wouldn’t want to lend you my Vivaro, if you’ve had 4 gearboxes then doesn’t that tell you something. Try an automatic or let someone who knows how to change gear without shredding cogs drive for you - Jesus Christ from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 46779

Carwyn Edwards, Carmarthenshire

Renault Trafic sl27 115 2011

I have owned it for 9 months now and have done 17,000 miles. I’m very pleased so far. It averages 35.5 mpg (that includes towing 12’ flatbed and small trailer a lot). You won’t get more than 38-39 mph when driving tidy, but doesn’t go below 32-33 very often. It has just had its first service everything seems good, plenty of power when you need it; 80mph is comfortable. All in all I’m very happy with the van. Shame about the dealer/sales rep, as a result I had my service done elsewhere!

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 46771

David, England

Renault Trafic 2002

I’ve had this van from new. It’s always been main dealer maintained and repaired and has been an excellent van. There have been some faults, which have been mainly suspension, ball joints the power steering pump failed and then 4 months later the alternator. The main dealer had me back on the road within 24 hrs every time. Sadly the gearbox and clutch now need replacing at 102000 miles. I would buy another, but I would only ever have it main dealer maintained. It’s cheaper and better in the long run.

Submitted: 2011-10-04 | ID: 46772

Tony Bodycombe, Kent

Renault Trafic 2010

I have a Trafic van and it has been backwards and forwards to Motorline Renault, Maidstone as it keeps failing to start and has had 7 starter motors in the last 9 weeks. Renault are now refusing to carry the works out under warranty despite the face they have not found the problem. They say that once a new one is fitted all is ok. They can not find the cause other than to say we might be holding the key in the on position. Beware as they are now saying I have to pay for the starter motor!!!! What happened to consumer rights? Oh, and Renault UK have closed the case; clearly they do not have a clue and were quick to say that I should get a second opinion from another garage, yet I bought the van new from them??!!

Hi, I have a Renault Trafic at Motorline in Maidstone, I would just like to know how you find their service. I put mine there because my clutch went. At first, they wanted to change my flywheel as well claiming it had a high spot and would make my new clutch judder. When I insisted that my clutch never juddered before and that I could not afford to pay anymore than the £800, they wanted to supply and fit a new clutch and slave cylinder, they said okay. Eventually I went to pick up my van this evening (22 November 2011) and upon arrival at reception, they told me that the van was not taken for a test drive because the technician deemed it too dangerous to drive. I was shocked, I asked why it was that I was not told this when I phoned them earlier and the lady at servicing had told me that the van was ready and all "tickety-boo" as she put it, her reply was that she thought the technician had told me, over the phone whilst he was trying to sell me a flywheel for an extra £300 the previous Saturday. I asked what the problem was and they told me that it was the track rod ends, so I asked to test drive the van, they first refused claiming that people had driven off without paying their bills in the past, so it was no longer company policy, so I then said that I would not be adverse to having one of their employees come with me on the test drive, to which they reluctantly agree. Once I started driving, it became immediately obvious that there was a clunking noise when I turned the van either left or right, a noise that had never been there before. The service manager claimed it was there from before but I know for a fact that this is not true, I have never had a problem with it and it has always been main dealer serviced and maintained. They then said that as a gesture of goodwill and because I had to get onto two trains and as cab to collect the van, they would lend me a vehicle and fix it for me but I would have to pay for the track rod ends. I reluctantly agreed, but I have since been thinking it over and I don’t see why I should. First and foremost the problem was not there when I took the van to them last Thursday, then they failed to inform me even when I phoned them earlier today to ask if it was ready, I mean the lady’s words were that it was all ready and tickety-boo, then I use the van for business deliveries as I am self employed and the vehicle they gave me as a courtesy car is a very small Renault car, I think it’s a Clio or a Twingo. That is completely inadequate for my needs and I cannot do any deliveries with it, losing me even more money. They said that they would need the van at least another day maybe two as no one in the country has these track rod ends in stock apparently. I feel like I have had the p*ss taken out of me big time and to top it all they are even trying to make me pay for it. I believe it is not the track rod ends at all to me it sounds like the CV joints and it sounds like they have damaged them when they pulled out the gear box to replace the clutch, my problem is what can I do about it? I hope someone can help, I answered your post because the fact you went to Motorline Maidstone caught my eye. I would not be surprised if they have something to do with all those parts you keep having to replace. I would appreciate any information you can send my way thanks - from England

Sounds like they have goosed the ns inner cv drive shaft. When you remove it if you’re not careful or incompetent, the spider rollers fall out and drop in the diff/gear box, causing you to strip the box to remove said needle rollers. There are 32 needle rollers per roller bearing 3 rollers per joint. If there are a few missing, this will cause vibration when driving, similar to wheel balancing clonk when the drive is taken up on pulling away - from Kent

Submitted: 2011-10-04 | ID: 46776

Steve, England

Renault Trafic Sport 2008

Just a word of warning for anyone wishing to acquire a new 150. As from September 2011 that engine is not availabe anymore as it does not meet Euro 5 criteria. I am having to settle for a new Euro 5 115 Sport which is more economical, but no more powerful. I guess I will have to get it remapped for that extra oomph that it needs. I have been otherwise very happy with my present 58 Sport so far which is why I am getting another.

Submitted: 2011-09-30 | ID: 46775

Ray, Ireland

Renault Trafic 2.5dci 150bhp quickshift 2007

A most comfortable and spacious cab that is easy to drive, but that’s it. After 2.5 years (70k) the gears disappeared. Then the hydrolic unit was changed under warranty. After another 2 years and approx 70k the same again. The Renault dealer charged £270 for diagnostics and over £3000+VAT to change the hydrolic unit again! Daylight robbery! It’s obviously a manufacturer’s fault. Stay away from Trafics!

Ray, I have exactly the same issue at present and have been left with no option other than to proceed forward with legal proceedings. I purchased three vans 2007 and regrettably two of these were automatics. One vehicle when reached 45,000 had the robotics kit fail and was replaced under warranty. Now the van has reached 92,000 2012 it has failed again and Renault UK say "it is one of those things". To add insult to injury, the second vehicle with 142,000 has a failed robotics kit also now which was replaced by Renault at a cost of near on £3,000 to me to be told a month later that now a slave cylinder has also failed and will require replacing at a cost of £1200. Renault’s comment were give you £500 per van trade in! I will keep everyone updated with how this comes out but if anyone would like to get in contact, I can be contacted on 01795 228083 - Damien Norton from England

Submitted: 2011-09-19 | ID: 46773

Seb Ben, England

Renault Trafic MPV 2007

Never again Trafic, never again Renault or any other French make!!!! I bought my one second hand with 40k miles and have had nothing but problems. December last year the clutch went costing £1,500 to replace. In May of this year I had my timing belt, water pump, front pads and front shock absorbers done at a cost of £2,500 and now a gearbox fault is showing! I have been quoted £3,500 for two gearbox parts and labour and because it’s an automatic one of the parts costs £2,436! I contacted Renault customer service and after an investigation they offered me 20% discount, which I have declined. I am going to pay it off ASAP sell it then and go back to VW.

Where on earth did you go for a new clutch? Main dealer price is only around £700 - from England

I’ve just broke one because a telegraph pole hit the top so have good engine and gearbox + lots more available 0779 402 2369 - Chris Hargreaves from Derbyshire

The Renault Trafic/Opel Vivaro is not a french make. They are built in England! I have one myself. 2005 model, 94k at the moment. OK car - Eirik Hustvedt from Norway

Submitted: 2011-09-16 | ID: 46788

John, Kent

Renault Trafic 2008

The best van I’ve ever owned. Mine is 3yrs old with 170,000 miles on the clock and has just had its first fault; aircon has died. Every thing else is perfect.

Hi,what was wrong with the aircon? - Johhny Denobriga from England

Submitted: 2011-09-11 | ID: 46786

William Crossan, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Renault Trafic 2010

Having previously driven a Nissan Primastar 07 reg, which was a total nightmare. It was in for repair more often than on the road; brakes, discs, turbo, fuel pump, track rod ends, ball joints, steering rack, etc. It was such a total nightmare that when we got a new Renault Trafic I nearly resigned my job! I hated these Renault built vans with a vengence. However, after 15 months use of this van and 80k on the clock with no repairs needed, no breakdowns and only brake pads and service costs; still running on the same brake discs and not even a wiper blade needed, this has to be the most reliable van I have driven in 30 years. I am not joking, you should read my last report on a Renault built Nissan!! My new Renault is, however, perfect, I even had to apologise to my Transport Manger because this van is so good. I will keep you all posted with an update.

Submitted: 2011-08-09 | ID: 46785

Fred, Germany

Renault Trafic dci100 lh29 2005

A good van. Just clocked 108k on a camping holiday around the south cost of Sweden. Filled up on fuel in Puttgarten, Germany, before getting the ferry and then on way home (same filling station); 560+ miles on a tank and still 1 bar left on the guage. Oh and it’s the DC100 LH29 (hightop LWB). It is chipped and pushing 130ps with sports induction - makes a difference to top end power. The build quality is not the best, however, every job I have done on it was not awkward. I have fitted new front wishbones; the previous owner being tight and just replacing the lower ball joint on one side, which upset the chassis and track. Don’t adjust the tracking to compensate for the bodge up, if you have to tweek the tracking then something else is wrong and you need to find route cause. I also replaced the ARB drop links and track rod ends while I was at it. There is a knock from front when the van sways side to side over bumps so need to replace front sub-frame mounts, cast drop link, (2 bolts and they are off). PAS good. The gearbox grumbles so might need to recon it, but all parts are available online for the DIYers. A new clutch and slave cylinder; these are not the best built things, but if you do not replace the plastic feed pipe at the same time expect to be visiting the garage shortly. Have also fitted a new steering wheel, which was not expensive nor the new gater and knob for the gear stick. I have also replace the fuel hand priming pump as the one-way valve was shot thanks to rubbish UK fuel. To replace the hand pump buy just the front section, expensive 99euros, and swap the pumps over, you’ll need a hot air gun and screwdriver, a plumbers freeze spray is optional. This little pump when it fails causes the fuel filter housing to drain back to the  tank and you’ll only notice a problem when starting as it  keeps turning over before it catches. Check if the hand pump is hard, if you need to keep squeezing it every morning then it’s shot. Factory windows for this van are cheap; rear doors £65 each, basic sliding door window £125, sliding opening window £165, don’t forget the rubber strips at £20 each. 2005 Mondeo seats fit nicely, Vauxaull Sintra seat swivels £30, passenger one might be a bit high for some people. The front seat belts are not long enough for the larger sized person. Gears clunk into gear when cold so get the G/box oil replaced and filled with the proper Renault stuff then it’s sweet. Change this oil about every 20k and then you can also check the bearings, if they are going metal shards will be found on the housing sump plug. The rear brake callipers can seize due to the rubber gater perishing over time and allowing water to get in; a recon kit is available on the net or buy an exchange unit for £80. Ensure the retaining clip on the handbrake cable shroud is properly fitted otherwise you will need new pads, disks and bearings. The cam belt is easy; you need to remove the engine mounts, wheel and plastic covers, the crank pulley is on tight so you need to fabricate a tool to stop it from moving while you’re undoing the big bolt! Flush out the intercooler every time you do the air filter, plus take of the EGR valve and clean it, you will be amazed at the debris in there. The older cars had a collection tank, but the new ones take the crank case breather pipe and plug it back into the inlet manifold so it can burn its own rubbish, nice! Oh the curry hook can be removed and replace with another 12volt socket as the power feed is there behind it. My 54 reg van is still on the original battery. If the fuel filler plastic surround leaks, you need to remove and replace the sealing strip with a bead of silicone or draft excluder strip to stop water getting in to the sills from here and freezing in winter. Water can also get in to the other sill so drain them periodically and fill with waxoil to prevent rusting. The fuel tank supply line as it exits can kink at the sender unit! Go under and warm it up and tweek it back straight, don’t be too force full as the replacement pipe comes in two halves now, so at 99-120euros per piece be careful. The air filter can rub onto the injector wires so pull the box off, and fit a few washers under the mounting points, about 10mm/15mm will do it. The mass airflow meter rubs on the aluminium cast air inlet and can rub through it leaving a leaking manifold, also the plastic pipe from the airbox to the inlet can get worn through and allows air to escape causing a pressure drop, which upsets the ecu and the boost pressure sensor/ wastegate control valve, the little black thing mounted on the side of the ecu casing in the engine bay with small black pipes going to it. So, to summarise, there are basic problems with the Renault Trafic, but care and attention plus some mechanical appreciation of the engine etc, will ensure it lasts long enough. Don’t forget all the swb and lwb low roofs are built by British workers! High tops are built in France so these might be better put together then the others. Oh and the VW gearbox is just as bad as the Trafic’s box, but they eat drive shafts. yum!

Regarding fuel priming and the non-return-valve (NVR), I found it easier and considerably cheaper to fit a small new NRV in fuel line next to hand prime pump. Cost £4 ebay and a couple of pipe clips. Also I read that the NRV is in the top of the fuel tank in ’05 Trafic making it a b*st@rd to change - Yeoblade Ashby from Somerset

Submitted: 2011-07-18 | ID: 46737

Craig, England

Renault Trafic 2006

I have had nothing but problems with my Trafic. I think we should all get watchdog on our side and make a stand, it has to stop.

I’m with you on that one they are a disgraceful vehicle and all owners of duff ones should be refunded - brand new or second hand! - Jake Kent from Cornwall

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 46739

Graeme St Clair, England

Renault Trafic 115 dc1 2007

Is it just me then? I bought mine secondhand with a full service history. Other than regular sevices, and tyres and brakes, the only problems I have ever had are: The gear linkage cable coming off (fixed in 5 mins with a cable tie, which lasts about 3 months. Or get new selector cables. I’d stick to cable tie option) and the driveshaft cv joint. My vehicle has now covered 212,000 miles and it’s the best vehicle I’ve ever worked. I did swear I would never buy another Renault after being stitched up with an Espace once, but I’m so glad I changed my mind.

No, it’s me too. I love mine, it is perfect for my purposes and has never given me a moment’s trouble in three years. I will be ordering another next year without a doubt - from England

I’ve had a 2007 Trafic 8seater LWB minibus for 2 years. Had 70K on clock. Best van driving position, best comfort. Now got 120K on the clock and up until last week, I had no problems at all. Then last week, it just cut out. Found out today that the fuel pump needs replacing. £440+VAT new or £340 reconned. Gonna surf the net to see if I can find one cheaper - from Nottinghamshire

Made me laugh about the gear link cable tywrap lasts me a week then when it breaks when ure in traffic have to get out pop hood and tywrap. Also electric windows f*cked so disconnect the motor and now raise and lower windows with my hand something out the flint stones. This can piece of cr*p - from Lanarkshire

My 2007 has done 156k and the slave cylinder has only just gone. We changed the clutch because the box was out anyway but it still had loads of miles left on it. In all, a very good minibus 156k and still going well (for now at least) I am looking at buying another Renault. The 100k warranty is appealing too - Gary Court from Wales

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 46741

Jack P, England

Renault Trafic SL27+ dCi 115 SWB 2007

I’ve been driving a company 2007 Renault Trafic dCi 115 SWB Quickshift 6 from new. I’ve now done 64k over 2 years across UK and Ireland consisting of long motorway journeys as well as lots of local start/stop urban trips as a private user. Good Points: The van is comfy and not bad at fuel if driven professionally. Good brakes/stopping distance when in emergency (ABS, EBD and Brake Assist as standard). Good gear ratios. Bad Points: Above 60mph it is significantly louder inside the cabin and it causes tiredness far quicker over many hours journeys. 115 BHP with a heavy load in the bay is not something that cheers up, causing persistent shifting, 6-5-6, uphills. The front windsreen is horrible as it is not sunlight reflective and with no A/C it’s not much fun to drive in the summer time (open windows makes too much noise). Revolutions are limited to 4k - be aware when downshifting for overtaking or you might end with no torque on wheels. First and reverse gear synchros are starting to be a bit dodgy now (64k miles) despite clutch saving driving and the revolutions matching when downshifting. The indicator stalk tends to flip to counter position during fast steering manevours (itself for sure). Minor oil leaks. One of three bolts holding Power Steering Pump snapped in half. Fuel lines require bleeding if the van run outs of fuel completely - be sure to have proper allan key, syringe, off container fuel and 20 minutes time to be able to get back on track or AA/RAC might tow you away. Generally if looked after and well driven it won’t let You down; not a one breakdown only a few punctures.

Submitted: 2011-06-29 | ID: 46736

Richard Lobsiger, England

Renault Trafic sport 2 litre diesel 2011

I am concerned about the road holding on corners and would have looked elsewhere considering this problem.

Not sure what you mean, mine goes round corners perfectly well and I’ve not heard anyone else complain - from England

I would be more concerned how much you will need to pay for the repairs that you will have to do to it. Slave cylinders, clutches, injectors, gearboxs, fuel pump; the list goes on. Good luck, you will need it - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

I think we’ve got the picture Ashley, luckily it is not the experience of many others on this forum. It has been said that it is more to do with the way these vans are driven - from England

I firmly believe that Watchdog should now get involved with this. A design fault on the Renault Trafic allows water to seriously corrode the injectors making their removal impossable even by their own dealerships. I’ve just had my vehicle pretty much written off by a Renault dealership causing damage snapping off an injector. The vehicle is three years old and just out of warranty but this fault will be eating these injectors as soon as the vehicle leaves the factory, something I wasn’t told when I purchased the van! I would strongly recommend that if you’re looking for a reliable van with quality customer care, you most certainly don’t look at Renault. You will be sorry, you have been warned! - Bryan Tomes from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 46662

Mark, England

Renault Trafic 2004

Absolute utter garbage, never ever buy a Renault! If there is ever one piece of advice to take on board this is it.. trust me! Please, please please, do not waste your hard earned money on one of these over hyped skips. They may as well sell them either new or second hand with a tag saying ’beware this piece of metal your about to buy will require bank rolling’!!! Utter dog muck. If Carlsberg made vans, it wouldn’t be a Renault. Buy a Ford Transit! A proper van made to do proper hard work and won’t let you down.<br /><br />

You must have been unlucky, I’ve had one since 2003 and covered 160,000 miles with no problems at all. As for the Transit, I also bought one of those pieces of sh*t in 2007 and had cr*p from day one till I sold the Daganham dustbin. The transit cost me 20k, one of them stupid sport ones. I had new injectors, new engine, new clutch; the list goes on and its cr*p on fuel - Pat Brennan from England

Can anyone tell me if a the short wheel base version of the traffic can take two pallets comfortably? - Michael Lockwood from Hertfordshire

Hi, I would have to agree with Mark. I have had nothing but problems with my 58 plate, it has gone through slave cylinders like Jordan goes through husbands. It has had four slave cylinders within 120,000 miles and started engine cutting out whilst driving. The brakes and power steering went at the same time once at 50 mph towards a bend. Luckily, it turned on again. My experience is the same, stay away! Maybe I was unlucky but it is getting more common. Power to the blogs - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Just to continue on the Trafic van, I have just purchased the new 115 ll29 and it is far better on fuel than my old 100 dci was. I am now getting 720 mile per tank and I always have a full load if you compare this to a Transh*t, that gets between 450 to 500 per tank. That is a big saving on fuel. With the mileage I do, it works out over 3 years a total of £12,700 pounds that almost buys me another Trafic Sport. You would be mad to get anything else in the current climate, it also drives so much nicer than the old 100 dci and the Tranny - Patrick Brennan from England

Well my 2003 Trafic covered 320,000 miles until this year when I bumped it. Yeah I had the gearbox changed, the power steering pump and suspension wore out several times, new clutch, and I nearly got sick of it with the gearbox but I liked it so much that much I bought another one. Can anyone suggest a van you can park on a high street that is quick goes around corners like it’s on tracks then sits at 80mph on a motorway like its doing 40? The blogs all say service it correctly and that’s my experience. Use the right oil, change the filters etc then the turbo, fuel pump, injectors oh and the engine will be good for miles of trouble free driving. I sold my last one to a friend he repaired the front very easily, changed one sensor and it’s still going strong. One word of advice (maybe two) if you take the gearbox out for any reason, have it checked then change clutch cylinder, it’s very cheap to buy but very expensive to fit. The suspension does need to be kept on top of but again, don’t skimp. I once bought a £25 bottom arm. Big mistake! Buy cheap, buy twice - Steve Thomas from England

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 46667

M Welland, Bedfordshire

Renault Trafic 2007

I have had my Renault Trafic SL27 dCi115 57 just over 4 years. Have never had a problem, has only had new brake pads, done 41,000 miles from new. It’s a brillant van and quick, fuel not as bad as I thought!! Alway full loads at the back.

I agree it’s a dream to drive. Good on fuel return - from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2011-05-03 | ID: 46673

Ian Cuthbert, Lanarkshire

Renault Trafic 2007

29000 miles new engine, replaced rear discs & pads, ball joint, three. Now done 39500 miles needing track rod ends done, sliding door handle, top pin has come out twice. Never again.

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 46675

Gary Laithwaite, Lancashire

Renault Trafic 2004

Bought van new March 04. Looks and drives great, serviced at dealer for first two in order to validate warranty, very expensive, but had it done reg by local garage after that. Normal repairs per service brakes every two yrs on avg etc. New air mass flow sensor at 60k found by AA no power below 2000 rvs had to floor it just to get up a gear, cost £350 at dealer. New boost pressure sensor and diesel hose, diagnostic to find fault £325 at 70k. At 81k and 6yrs the gearbox has gone, apparently this is a common fault on all Renault, Nissan and Vauxhall vans, the cost of a gearbox fitted is £1200 inc vat, but all say do the clutch as well total avg £2000. Timeing belt at 81k avg £400, van is worth in 2011 market £3200. The van still looks great but if I throw the money at it, is it the start of the probs? Shame really the cost outweights the value. The vans are great but enginering lets them down, 6yrs from new isnt long for this to happen.<br /><br />

I have a Renault Traffic in it’s 7th year of service. About half a year ago, I experienced serious loss of power especially in 2nd gear but 1st gear was also not working up to expectation. I have recently changed the air filter, oil filter, cleaned up all the air and oil inlet, changed engine oil and still not getting much improvement on power. I’m wondering if the air mass sensor that you have mentioned was the cause of the low power problem. Any suggestion on what could have being the cause of this problem? This is my 2nd battery, which is I think more than 4 years old already, but I guess this is not the cause of the problem and it starts pretty well every morning anyway. If you have any probable explanation or experience in low power on 1st and 2nd gearing, please advise. Thank you - from Singapore

Hi, all I can say is you’re lucky. I have had four slave cylinders and clutch, also the seat wore out within 60,000 miles. I had a cutting out problem since 18,000 and now at 120,000 it needs fuel injectors as the same. I had it maintained at Renualt and has cost me a fortune, would’ve been cheaper to buy a Merc. I might be one of few but the engineering lets this car down - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Ashley, I think you must hammer your van and eat too much McDonalds, that’s why your seats are worn out cause I’m on my second one with no probs at all - Patrick Brennan from England

Submitted: 2011-02-22 | ID: 46676

Phil Crompton, Cheshire

Renault Trafic 2005

Update to post of 03/12/08. Full service Feb 2010. Mot fail emmissions. New EGR valve. Jan.2011 snapped fan/steering belt. Muscles like like Desparate Dan to get home. Feb 2011 full service & Mot. Fails due to track rod ends and ball joints, again. Egr valve faulty, again. Starts 1st time but no power. Saving up to get shut!! Oh for my old Mitsubishi that never failed 160,000 miles easy to work on L200 4 x 4 no turbo and would pull anything.

Submitted: 2011-02-05 | ID: 46694

Sean Whatley, Hampshire

Renault Trafic Sport 2010

Just been reading all the notes about this van. This is the 2nd one we have owned 39k in one yr no faults whatsoever. Our previous early 02 plate van did 130k with one issue, h.p fuel pump failure. I really rate these vans. My employee likes it too. I run myself a Vito 115 and must say that the Trafic is more comfortable, been looking to replace the Vito. VW want 23k for the same spec Transporter as a Trafic sport, Renault is 13k. New Vito is around same price, no brainer really, what are you getting for that 10k? All these vans have horror stories but at least with the Renault you have saved 10k to start with in savings. My Vito has had more warranty work than the Renaults I have owned.

Hi Sean, I take on board what you have said, well you do need that saving of £10,000. I have a ’58 plate that has been off the road for 18 weeks in total and I have spent £12,000 including main dealer servicing and four clutches and slave cylinders including a cutting out problem which has been with the vehicle from new. Now in the garage having all fuel injectors done for me. Reliability is more important to me than price, I might have just been unlucky - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-30 | ID: 46692

Craig, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic 2005

Please read before you think of buying one of these vans. I purchased the van 5 months ago, highish mileage at 120k, but thought nothing of this as it’s mint and well looked after. It had a recent brand new turbo, egr valve, recon gearbox, new clutch, all receipts for about 3 grand, ouch! I thought I had bought a good van, what else could go wrong? I WILL TELL YOU! 1 week on abs pump packed in sourced second hand part as dealers want over £300. Soon after, glow plugs, both rear wheel bearings, alternator. Now got a slight oil leak , and now for the best bit, engine sounds a bit noisy of late. Yep BOTTOM END. Another huge bill in the pipeline. I may have only had one of these vans and for a short period but I have learned a lot. My mechanic thinks the vans are crap, he had a Vivaro in at same time as mine, bottom end failure. He has also told me he has had a few that needed injectors replacing but they don’t all come out and the head has to come off due to the rain drainage running down onto the engine and staying there; I looked it up and it is a common fault. As I was at the garage a dealer turned up and began to tell me how cr-p they are. A week later I went to a Renault parts specialist to buy wheel bearings, who told me all the faults with them and there’s a lot. Sorry for going on and on but these vans are a joke, only buy one if your rich and all the people who give 5 stars to these vehicles on here, I’m glad you have had some good luck because it is luck!

I wouldn’t of bought the van with that history, it’s got hard life written all over it! All vans need looking after from new if they’re not, this will happen. It’s all about spending time searching for a good one. They are out there! - Paul Van from England

I agree with the above, 120k in 5 years probably means its been worked hard. The post facelift ones seem not to be so problematical, certainly my ’58 Sport hasn’t put a foot wrong so far. I would say that all vans reviewed on this forum are pretty much equal. Try reading some of the horror stories from VW and Mercedes owners! You would think that paying a premium for one of these would be worth it, not so it seems - from England

Just an update on my initial post and replies. I obviously didn’t get the best van given the problems I have had. But I looked at a few before purchasing and all of them were banged, bumped up and the gearbox on one of them was very notchy. However mine is mint on the body work, the cabin looks next to new. One company owner motorway miles, FSH, new turbo, clutch, EGR valve. I get compliments on how the van looks all the time. I really thought I had bought a good one. Love how it looks and drives but that’s it. The gearbox is now very notchy, first and second engine noisy, and there’s not long left in it. Today, the van stopped in the road as it could not engage gear, the linkage had come off. This van certainly has not been very enjoyable so far, especially on my wallet. Hopefully once fully repaired, it will change my view of these and serve me well - from Yorkshire

I agree. Buying a van with 120,000 is like a lottery. Okay, it has had £3,000 slung at it by the previous owner, it’s not what’s just been recently spent on the van that you should be looking at, but more of what the van has been used for and cared for in the past. Has it been serviced on a regular basis? I have had my van from new in November 2004. Just coming up to 130,000 miles, the only fault has been a steering pump at 120k. I have it serviced every year and an oil and filter change at 6 months with an inbetween service, shall we say, costing around £50. I put Worth fuel conditioner in the fuel tank, which cleans the fuel system out every 10,000 miles. This keeps the injectors clean and all fuel parts lubricated. The cleaning action is also a benefit to the EGR valve, which is still the original. The clutch is also original and will no doubt have to be replaced soon although I must say it is not slipping and the bite is still good on the pedal. Apart from a timing belt at 70,000 miles and two sets of rear brake discs and pads, I always get these with the abs ring and bearings already fitted, that way rear bearings get changed with the discs, and in the long run, it is cost effective doing it that way. Only £10 extra per wheel bearing over having just the disc changed, front discs and pads only been changed once. The track rod ends have been replaced this year also. That’s it, the van is very reliable, six-speed gearbox makes it economical to run, and it is very comfy to drive. Air con requires regassing and timing belt at 140,000 miles, I will prob get a new one when I get to 140,000, and what happens to my van, it will go in part exchange and sold to someone who likes to buy a high mileage van at low cost, just don’t expect me to replace the clutch and timing belt because they are due. That’s for the next owner, the van comes with full service history and the next owner should should take into account what it requires to keep it running. My van cost £12,090 + VAT. Spec is full electric pack alarm windows spot lights etc bulk head and air con plus silver metalic paint in 2004 they are very good value for money as today the same van is £12,799 + VAT, and the modern version can carry a bit more cargo too - Geoff Large from Nottinghamshire

Hi mate, I feel your pain. I bought one from new and it has been off the road more times than Jordan’s love life. It has been the bane of my life, ’58 plate no mileage, it now has done 120,000 and I have looked after it. I have done the miles but maintained by Renault, it has had the best life but it has not been kind to me. Maybe there are good and bad ones out there, just gotta be lucky to find the good ones but mine has had four slave cylinders. When they go, you have to change clutch as well as major cutting out problems. I thought I did it alright, just proves it is not only marriages go wrong. All the best - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Hi, it is good news. I got my van back, it cost me £955. I have found out these vans have a real design fault that the excess rainwater leaks onto the injectors and they corrode. Eventually, they pack up and when they are corroded, they’re a pig to get out again. Hope your piggy bank is full, you need it all. To the lovers of this vehicle, wait until it hits your wallet. It will if you keep it long enough - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

We have just bought our fourth brand new 29 swb Trafic (1 x 100dci & 2x 140 dci & 1x 150 dci), for driving, trim, comfort levels, looks well almost everything they are superb...until they go wrong, in fact they go wrong a lot. Three dashboard wiring looms, four accelerator assemblies, two gear boxes (Renault now want £5,000 to replace one!), three egr valves, one turbo, clutch cables (water runs down cable onto boot & gets in), two clutches, four air con compressors (three on one van) first MOT failure! Track rod ends, two steering racks, usual discs, tyres, six wheel bearing sets and anything I have forgotten or managed to blot out of my mind. I would never buy one second hand and we always get rid of ours before they reach 80,000 miles. I pay around £13-14,000 + VAT for each one whereas a similar spec Transporter would cost £19,000 or more and don’t drive nor look as nice as the Trafic (and also have water pump, half shaft issues). Renault support is amazing with deals of up to 70% support on repairs on a four year old (one year out of warranty) van. We had a Transporter T4 before that the dealer did not even want to replace the broken rear springs (a well known fault) on an 18 month old van. Transits are okay but feel like a very old school van and are too wide for the width restrictions in Cambridge. Renault Trafics, love em, but as we are discovering, get rid of it as soon as the warranty runs out - Duncan Cook from Cambridgeshire

Hi I read your comments and my response from Renault customer care is quite different. They were slow and incompetant. I’m on my 4th slave cylinder at 120,000 miles and did not want to find out what was wrong and also had a reoccuring cutting out fault at 18,000 miles and did not see it as the same fault that they never got right and only paid 35% on the parts only. And guess what? Within one month, 5th slave cylinder has gone wrong. I would never never never never never buy a Trafic again. Worst life experience, it has been off the road for 12 weeks in 20 months, pure and utter sh*t and mine is a real life story - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-21 | ID: 46683

Ward Chapman, Berkshire

Renault Trafic sli27 2003

I’ve had five Trafics, three 1.9’s and two 2.0 2003 from new, clutch at 75000 miles gearbox at 140000 miles. I currently own a 2006 1.9 and two 2007’s, which always start. One of the 2007 has stiff gearbox now. GREAT vans!

Stiff gearbox? Is it hard to get a gear... I had that on mine last week, it was selector shalf bearing - major gearbox strip down, new bearing and selector shalf - from Lanarkshire

Hi Ward I am happy for you but I must be one of the unlucky ones. I have a 58 plate 1.9 Trafic and bought it for the reasons you from new and it has been maintained by Renault, but I have had four slave cylinders including clutch. This is due to a manufacturing problem of the slave cylinder and not my driving, also a cutting out problem at speed which started at 18,000. It is now having all fuel injectors done, also has alarm problem and driver’s seat was worn out within 50,000 miles. Maybe I need to go on a diet. At present, I won’t be buying a Trafic again. Any words of wisdom? - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 46680

Geoff, Nottinghamshire

Renault Trafic 1.9 2004

I had my van SWB 1.9 from new in November 2004 on the 54 reg. Paid £11.090 plus vat new , which included metalic paint/air con, electric windows mirrors etc and spot lights and full Bulk head in load area. I have not had a problem in 6 years of ownership until recently, the Power steering pump blew its back off when I put it on full lock one day. But at 116,000 miles in 6 years with a oil and filter change every 9000 miles it has performed very well. It is still on it’s original clutch but put this down to the way I drive and not holding it on it’s clutch on hills. Would I have another? YOU BET! The key is do a mid-service of oil and oil filter every 9000miles and use fully synthetic. As for the steering pump, well you expect something to give after 116000 miles and having read many forums on the trafic van this is it’s weak point power, steering pump or hoses. My front discs lasted until 80,000 miles, but the rears only lasted until 36000 miles? One track rod end and a new hand brake cable.

Wow, sounds great that makes me feel better, I have had four slave cylinders in my ’58 plate and clutches. This is not down to my driving but a manufactoring fault with the slave cylinders, yes, all four. I have also had a cutting out problem since 18,000 miles. I use top grade fuel not cheap stuff from supermarkets and has been maintained by Renault. I did not miss one service, I did all the right things but now it is having all fuel injectors done. I was hoping for at least three years hassle free motoring. I have not had that but at least it did not cost me £27,000. I guess we all can only talk about our own experinces. It was just mine has not been good. Thanks - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 46695

Guy, Selkirkshire

Renault Trafic 120dci lwb 2004

Garbage. Poorly made from poor materials. Can’t stop air getting into the fuel line. Gearbox clearly about to let go. Brake problems. well..they are Renaults.....shoulda known better.

Totally agree with you mate, have your fuel injectors and slave cylinders gone yet? - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-12-17 | ID: 46697

Andy Smith, Kent

Renault Trafic SWB 2003

I work for the NHS who purchased the vehicle. No problems at all until about 3 years ago. Vehicle now done over 90K. We have had problem after problem since. Now, mainly won’t start in cold weather. It’s been to Renault and numerous other garages. Latest, new clutch, new belt, new battery, service, MoT, analysed by AA and Renault, can’t find obvious fault. Just returned from Renault agent after all above, this morning won’t start! Heater plug light comes on intermittantly when driving. Nobody can find the problem. Cold or wet weather appears to cause problems. I would have rated 5* until recent, I’m being very generous and forgiving opting for 3*. Just waiting for garage to turn up!! Buy Ford.

You are lucky, my problems started sooner. With slave cylinders, I am on number 4. Have you had the injectors looked at? They corrode and give you an intermittent problem until they go completely. My van kept cutting out then working and then would not start from cold and wet then go once it has dryed out. Water leaks onto the injectors, get them checked out but don’t go to a Renault dealer, go to a garage that has a hydralic tool to remove the fuel injectors. I rate Sharps of Bracknell, ring and speak to Jack. All the best - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 46700

Anibal London, England

Renault Trafic 1.9cc dci100 Lwb 2005

2005 model, had from new, so far 65000 miles and OK. Full tank 580/590 miles. Every 20000 miles one service in Renault dealer. So far so good. Hope this continues.

Submitted: 2010-11-28 | ID: 46699

Bryan Edwards, Warwickshire

Renault Trafic lwb 2007

I’ve got a lwb, which I’ve had van from new. It’s only ever had only one break down; crank shaft sensor, cost me £30 pound. A very good van, I always floor it, never hang around.

Hi, I am glad for you but you’re lucky. I have had 4 slave cylinders and clutches due to a manufacturing problem, not my driving. The alarming problem is that has not been fixed. Front seat worn out at 50,000 miles because I am overweight. A metal bar is poking out, mmmmmmm, that is for a ’58 plate - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-11-10 | ID: 46702

Kevin McGirr, Oxfordshire

Renault Trafic 2009

My van’s been great, drives like a car, also cheap to run. I would buy another, sorry guys...

Submitted: 2010-10-27 | ID: 46708

Darryl C, Inverness-shire

Renault Trafic td1 100 2003

Bought van at 64000 miles. 2 weeks gear box went. Told it was ready and tested, possibly by a monkey, would not go over 30, took back, was then told the cylinder head had gone. 6 weeks for all that to be fixed. They phoned told me it ready and that I needed new brakes, said no way you’re doing it. Turn up an hour later to be told it wasn’t ready and they were putting old brakes back on. So avoid Renault garage in Inverness!

Submitted: 2010-10-15 | ID: 46707

Roger W, Cheshire

Renault Trafic 2.2 Petrol 1995

Hello, I know this will be of little comfort. I bought my Renault Trafic 2.2 Petrol van new in 1995. I still use the van most days, I feel confident doing 600 mile round trips. Only parts I have had to replace is: the radiator, one rear wheel bearing, window winder, starter motor repaired, front discs. Thats it 103,000 miles still going strong. I always use Fully synthetic oil..burns no oil, still same clutch. Van is fast 100 mph when I cruise at 70 mph can get 35 mpg, from 70 mph to 90mph pretty quick, don’t need to change down. my only Problem and it is a BIG one...What van do I buy next? They all appear to be junk and with lots of problems, and I hate deisels - cannot even spell it!<br /><br />

I had one of these that I ran to 160k when it had to go due to rust problems. Similar to you it was largely trouble-free in all that time and was still running beautifully when I sold it, I believe it was exported to Nigeria by its new owner. Anyway, the point of this reply is that I replaced it with a new 58 registered Sport van and have not regretted a single day of it. It is faster, quieter, more comfortable and is way better on fuel, I get between 32mpg and 45mpg depending on how I drive it and it NEVER drops below 32. So all in all I would swallow your prejudice about diesels and get one, especially one of the facelift models I don’t think you will regret it - from England

Well my old 1995 Trafic, which I owned from new, has left me at 109,000 miles. Due to losing 5th gear and other issues, I kissed goodbye to my truly trusted Trafic. Luckily, I have found a 57 plate Trafic DCi115 with just 6,600 miles from new...wow! I can do a 500 mile trip and it doesn’t even get tired, you cannot hear the engine even at 100mph. With air-con and power windows/mirrows, it’s another world for me. I won’t service at 18,000 miles as recommended; that’s too long for me. I will change engine oil and filters and fuel filters every 6,000 miles and use the very best gearbox oil which will be Fuchs Semi-syn, and hope this van will be brill, and so comfortable and it’s not white. Happy driving - Roger W from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-10-09 | ID: 46704

Bill Luke, Lanarkshire

Renault Trafic 115 dC1 SL27 2008

Well, just had my first breakdown, yesterday, at 81k miles. Bought brand new in May ’08 (57 plate, pre-registered Jan 08), and regularly serviced per schedule. Only previous fault had been a spurious electrical glitch around 50k miles - (radio going on and off, STOP sign on dash illuminating, and trip meter resetting to zero), but van kept going OK. Dealer found there was a faulty earth under passenger floor, and fixed OK. This breakdown was sudden - just died as if stalled, and wouldn’t restart. Plenty fuel, and strong battery. Towed to dealership by Renault Assist (AA) as vehicle still under 100k warranty. AA guy reckoned the diagnostics showed either a throttle valve motor, or fuel pressure regulator. Pump pressure was showing as only 20 bar. Apparently these things need to be at 200 bar for startup, and run up to 400 bar at higher revs. That’s an incredible pressure! Got a call from dealership this morning, confirming fault is the primary fuel pump (apparently there is a secondary pump as well?), and this will be replaced under warranty - should have it back with 5 days. Assuming the van is back to it’s old self, I’ll be happy. I’ll post an update once I’m back on the road. If the breakdown hadn’t occurred, I would have awarded 5 stars, because this van is just brilliant. It’s got such a dynamic chassis, great gearchange, excellent fuel consumption (37-39 typically), good sound system and air-con, very quiet and refined, fast as ****, and looks great. I had heard scare stories about gearbox before I bought, but when I spoke to the AA guy (He was driving a Vivaro 2.0! - that’s what their entire fleet is), he said that seemed to be only the ones on the 1.9 models- he’d not heard of any on the 2.0 models. In fact, he told me mine was the first 2.0 breakdown he’d been called out to. Anyhow, maybe this is the first of many troubles, and I can only wait and see. Perhaps the best thing to do is buy one new, and trade it before 3 years or 100k? But please, folks, get it serviced on schedule! I would certainly buy another one. Oh - and there’s not a hint of rust anywhere.

Hello. As I stand, teetering on the edge of buying my first ever van I’m reading a LOT of internet reviews. FIRST - the industry should be murdered as there are NO really decent credible reviews on line for vans. So I’m reading your real comments as owners with great interest. Bottom line - I have a mate who is an independant garage owner and helping me to avoid dogs. The short list appears to be (used not new) Renault Traffic versus Vauxhall Vivaro. Jesus, it’s a nightmare to decide - the comment from the guy below who got some insight from the AA guy is interesting. I’m tempted to wait until VW bring out a sexy looking new Transporter - whatever VW do it seems to be the winner of its category regardless of what any other manufacturer tries... anyway - to all readers - any comments on what to look out for on Vivaro versus Trafic please????? - from Wiltshire

They are identical, so the only difference in ownership would be if you prefer Vauxhall dealerships to Renault ones! - from England

This is aimed at the guy who responded to the original review. DONT EVEN GO NEAR THAT VW T5 VAN!! I am a cab driver and have a VW Transporter shuttle 130 2.5 turbo diesel on a 54 plate. Bought it second hand with 9,000 miles on the clock, at 14 000 miles the gearbox goes, off the road for 9 days while VW try to find a new gearbox on warranty, so no money coming in! 50 000 we start to get an overflow of fluid coming out the power steering reservoir which we were told by VW was a faulty valve in the power steering pump. So back we go for a new 1 on warranty and off the road for another 3 days! All OK until we get to about 100,000 miles and then all hell breaks loose! Turbo goes pop, as well as the water pump, so that cost’s £1,500 to sort that lot out (and off road for another week!). Then to add insult to injury a couple of weeks down the line the steering pump goes completely again! So the moral of this story is DONT BUY VW they just aren’t reliable anymore!! We have a new Renault Trafic 2.0 dci mini bus with 6 speed quick shift on order for the new year and looking forward to it! - Paul Mitchell from England

Hi, I bought my 58 plate new and started having problems from the start cutting out at 18,000 miles. It stalls at speed. Power steering and brakes go (great fun when coming to a bend at 50mph  - I love to do that). Dealer could not find a fault. The alarm kept going off. The dealer could not find fault. Seat wore out within 48,000 miles with metal poking out from back. Four - yes 4 - slave cylinders. There is a manufacturing problem. You have to change the clutch at the same time. I recently found out that the reason for cutting out is that it has a problem with the common rail injectors. Water leaks onto them and corrodes them. I have replaced them and touch wood, and I mean a wood like a forest - Nottingham will do - it has fixed the problem. It has been off the road 12 weeks in its 22 month life and cost me a fortune. I thought I would get hassle-free motoring at least for two years. Buying new is not my luck. By the way before anyone say it is how you look after it, main dealer servicing at the correct intervals, top notch fuel - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-09-16 | ID: 46712

Kev Blewitt, England

Renault Trafic 2004

I have a Renault Trafic 1.9 dci 100 hp what a van, excellent to drive, driver position is perfect, gears changes are a little too harsh, but if you want to run your van the best you can, use BIO DIESEL!! We average 60+ only thing is you have to change your filters every 6 months to keep it in top notch and on normal diesel we are looking at 40-45. Take care of it and you will be surprised.

Hi, I’m looking at buying one on an 06 plate which has 100,000 mile on the clock, what do you think? I’ve been told they’re a good engine but I don’t know anyone who has one, I’d appreciate your opinion. Thanks - Ian Puddick from Warwickshire

We bought an 04 model second hand 1.9 with 20k miles. At 40k the gearbox packed in. We decided to put in a reconditioned box as it was £700 cheaper and you still get the same 12 month guarantee. 23k miles further on the gearbox is going again! :( Two days ago woke up and van would not start - RAC man told me immobiliser is not working with key - won’t switch off. Have now had to book my van into Renault to reprogramme keys, if this does not prove successful, I will need to have a new set of keys and dash board ripped out to sort out. I wouldn’t touch Renault again! RAC and AA engineers and mechanic mates have all said avoid Renault and instead go with Ford - Peter B from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-09-15 | ID: 46709

Chris the spark Rudge, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic CREWCAB LL29dci+qs6 2006

Bought it on looks and practicality nearly 2 yrs ago with 100k on clock. Looked after and serviced, done 17k since. Went from Hull to Nurburgring and back towing a lotus on a tankful! Auto box a letdown - rolls back on hills, as it is a manual box with auto changer! Been warned, and waiting for the `box or steering pump to go, and now have oil pi**ing out from under van, so no doubt I will find out which one it is tomorrow! - Watch this space!

Submitted: 2010-09-10 | ID: 46717

Ian C, Northumberland

Renault Trafic 2005

Just an add on from the previous note. Set off yesterday for a road trip to europe Ha Ha, didn’t get very far about, 289 miles. The engine started ticking very loudly and then lost all power. I got the van recovered to a garage in London - the engine is now in bits. I have got to ask the question "What did Benfield motors do to the engine whilst it was in their care?" I don’t know if it is a problem with the van or the dealer tinkering with something they know nothing about...

Submitted: 2010-09-10 | ID: 46723

Assad, Essex

Renault Trafic sport 115 dsi 2008

My van has been nothing but trouble - the list of faults so far as follows!!!! Factory recall: bonnet catch; factory recall: lighting rewire; factory recall: back door not opening, gearbox bearings, drive shaft, power steering pump, clutch adjustment, gearbox bearings again! I sent it in for  a dashboard rattle and clutch judder to be told there was "nothing wrong"! Two days later I took a mechanic out to show faults - I needed new clutch dashboard refitted and TODAY!!! THE HEATER HAS STUCK ON FULL HEAT! I think that is about it - I would never, ever recommend or buy another Renault. Full stop. They should all be recalled!

Hi, I own a 2004 Renault Trafic and have spent a fortune on it. Abs pump, gear linkages, power steering pump, masses of warning lights that keep coming up. All I’m saying is never buy a Renault!!!!!!! - Dan Clarke from Bedfordshire

Well I think you guys have been singularly unlucky. Apart from a wiring recall and dash light module that were sorted out under warranty during routine servicing my ’58 Sport has been totally reliable and a joy to drive and own. My experience gives it 5 stars - from England

I have had lots of faults with my 58 plate Trafic 115 sport which I’ve had since new. Most faults have been there since day 1 and Renault have said most of them are "model characteristics" which means they’re design flaws which affect ALL Trafic’s. These faults include:- Clutch judder wobble from front when pulling away, changing into 2nd; clutch bearing noise when depressing clutch; loss of torque at low revs (below 2500 rpm); intermittent 2 stage remote locking; ABS warning lights and "serv" light; door glass getting stuck; uneven travel clonk from steering on full lock binding brakes etc... NOT GOOD - Marc Wood from Essex

Strange, I’ve not had any of these probs. I wonder why?? - from England

Submitted: 2010-09-10 | ID: 46718

J Owens, Derbyshire

Renault Trafic 2007

Bought the van 3 months ago. Crank shaft sensor faulty, but now brilliant. Don’t thrash it and it will be ok. Good luck.

Submitted: 2010-08-30 | ID: 46729

Steve Hicken, Nottinghamshire

Renault Trafic 1.9 2006

Acquired van from new at sunwin Renault, recalled in first yr for handbrake prob, serviced at each specified service period, received the Renault health check each time the van went in to them. Last year creaking from front lower arm ball joint, replaced under manufacturers warranty. December last yr had service and mot. This month, van back in and needs lower arm ball joints, track rod ends, anti-roll bar atc, £900.00 worth of work req’d. Have so called lifetime warranty with Renault, guess what...don’t want to do it under warranty! Make me wonder what they’ve been doing with it past 4 yrs..it’s a joke.

Submitted: 2010-08-30 | ID: 46728

Steve Ellerbeck, Essex

Renault Trafic 1.9 2004

I bought one at 3 years old, and all that went wrong was the electrical management box when the indicators wouldnt turn off. Then at just over 100k miles the gearbox completly went. The reconditioners moaned because it wasn’t usable. Then at 123k miles the gearbox went again. the gearboxes on these can go at any milage but around the 100k mark seems to be most common according to my mechanic who had one in at 30k just two weeks out of warranty and they wouldn’t repair it under warranty. Verdict smart at first, fast, quiet, then service costs begin to kick in . The gearbox ought to be redesigned, it’s not up to the job and it’s widely known now. Give it the boot. So I will probably sell it before it goes wrong again and buy a VW Transporter.

I have heard Transporter gearboxes are just as bad and driveshafts give a lot of trouble too. Seems it is a case of luck of the draw after reading all the van reviews. Fingers crossed... my Trafic is so far problem free but will change it before the mileage climbs too high - from England

Early Trafic geraboxes have a very small oil capacity (later 2007 on are considerably larger) for their size and any small leak will spell trouble - as with any other manufacturers gearbox. So keep an eye on all the gearbox seals and replace as necessary - not a dear or difficult job for a competant mechanic. I change the oil in all our vans gearboxes at every service and have never had one go, not even in my oldest 190,000 miles +. A lot of crap is spoken in the forams about many things and 99% of the time it comes down to how something is used and how its looked after. If I had one van that gave more problems than the rest I would look at the driver - from Buckinghamshire

Hi there, could you tell me what grade of oil is needed for a 2003 Trafic and how much goes into the gearbox? Cheers - Robert Morgan from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-08-12 | ID: 46724

Adam Gibson, Hampshire

Renault Trafic 2.5 DCI 2005

I have the lwb 2.5d ci Trafic 2005 - 40,000 miles full service history. I went through a shallow ford at 5,000 miles and wrote off engine and turbo. At 20,000 miles had new master and slave silenders; at 39,000 miles engine mount broke smashing up drive shaft and now in for fuel problems. What next I ask?

They weren’t designed to be driven through floods! - Mike Smith from Buckinghamshire

You will find your problem is the fuel injectors. Water corrodes them so going through a Ford did not help, but I have had 4 slave cylinders and feel your pain, they are designed to cost you money - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-08-10 | ID: 46733

Jon Banner, Worcestershire

Renault Trafic DCI 140 high top 2004

Bought new in December 2004. The steering rack went at 18 months old and was repaired under warranty. The alternator went at just over 3 yrs old but was replaced by Renault when asked, even though out of warranty. It has been well serviced from new and changed oil first time at 5k. It pulls like a train fully loaded and towing my 18’ caravan. You do pay the price at the pumps, with the big 2.5 lump, 31mpg at best. Only on second set of tyres and replaced pads once; discs, gearbox and clutch original. Think I must have been lucky so far. Considered buying a new Vito next but seen some real horror stories.

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 46732

Stephen Byford, Essex

Renault Trafic 2004

I own a Trafic 04 plate, bought it new. I was very happy with it to start with even though it went back after a week as fuel flap would not open. Problem fixed imediately. Took it to Renault dealer for first service where one of the workers there took it for a joy ride to the local macdonalds. Service cost over £200 pounds, most exspensive car wash ever! Anyway getting to the interesting bit, at 60,000 miles the gearbox got stiff, I took it to my local Renault dealers where they took it for a test drive and said everything was fine but it would be best to change gearbox oil, which cost £130. Three weeks after the clutch went. This time I took it to a very highly recomended family owned independent garage. when removing the clutch they noticed the bearings in the gearbox were shot. Yes you guessed it, I had to replace the gearbox. 12 months later and another clutch, the engine decided to blow up. To cut a long story short the van is six years old now it has had 4 clutches, new gearbox, new engine, 2 sets of bearings and that’s just the bits I can remember. Ok its done 115,000 miles now but it has been looked after and serviced regular. Please take time to read this if you are thinking of buying one. They look good and drive nice on a good day, but be warned. I have spent 8,500.00(pounds)on this van on top of what I paid for the van new. Owning a Renault Trafic can cause serious weight loss to your wallet.<br /><br />

You are so right. I have spent £12,000 on four slave cylinders, clutches, injector, anti-roll bars and the list goes on. They look the part but they don’t cut the mustard. Unless your wallet is fat, stay away - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-07-27 | ID: 46730

Eric Lavagna, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic 2.0 dci 115 minibus 2008

At two and a half years old and 70,000 miles the cam chain stretched and took two teeth off the bottom gear cog. After taking it into my local Renault dealer believing it to be still under warranty, only to be told no because it was over 60,000 miles. They then charged me £119 for doing a diagnostic check to tell me something I already knew and for them to repair it would be just under £1900. Needless to say I had it done elsewhere at just over half the price, I did eventually get a phone call from Renault saying they would help me with the bill but after three letters to them and submiting the receipts for repairs, after about a month I still haven’t heard from them. To make things worse I now have a worn out flow meter, another £200. Contracts permitting, I might be looking to buy a new vehicle. Will I be buying Renault? I was considering the Master minibus but now possibly not...

I understood the Renault Warranty period was 3 years or 100k whichever came soonest. My 58 Sport certainly has that - from England

I am a taxi drive in gateshead, I know of three chains snapping ’round about 110k. All I can say is get it changed - Ian Robson - from

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 46589

Lee Nulty, Cheshire

Renault Trafic 2002

I have an 02 van and its been a pain since I got it 4 yrs ago. It has been looked after well and serviced regularly with only 90k on the clock. When it’s good, it’s a pleasure to drive and if the reliability was better it would be hard to beat for style, comfort and handling. BUT all is not well with these vans. It suddenly decides to 20 mph whenever it wants. I have to turn off the ignition and back on to reset it. I was told the van was going in to limp mode because of a fault, yet no fault was found. The trouble was with faulty glow plugs and several other small faults. Then on a drive from Northampton to the Wirral (approx 1 hundred miles), fluids all checked befor start, and the engine blew. Ran out of oil. Engines for every vehicle from £350 to £650, for these vans they are £850 to £2000. Anyway, we had a totally rebuilt engine fitted and guess what!! It will not start!! Never again.

The random limp mode problem and loss of power is likely to be the EGR valve needing a clean. I have had several DCI vans and this problem has occured on all of them - Martin Pladdys from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 46594

Ian C, Northumberland

Renault Trafic 100cdi 2005

Great van at first. Seat belts stop retracting after 2 years, drivers window so stiff won’t open, keeps snapping the winder handle, and the best is the van starts first time every time, great eh? But I have no power when I depress the accelerator, the van will not move for thirty seconds after starting; I must be honest it only occurs on the first start of the day and it makes no difference what the weather is. I gave it to a main dealer and they had it for 7 weeks, the 1st said it was a computure glitch and reprogrammed the computor but that didn’t work then said it was the injector, sent 3 of them away for testing and came back ok, then said it was the 4th injector the one that doesn’t come out and they would have to remove the head and send it away to have the injector removed. They then informed me that the injector would need replacing as they don’t come out intact, cost approx £1000, told them they don’t know what they are doing and to rebuild the engine and return it to me broken . It’s still the same but it works, sort of.

Glow plugs mate - Van Man 24/7 from England

Submitted: 2010-06-15 | ID: 46592

Geoff Large, Nottinghamshire

Renault Trafic 1.9 2004

I’ve had my van 5 1/2 years from New, November 57 plate, renewed oil after first 6 months then every 9 months after that all its service life added fuel injector cleaner every year. Apart from blocking windscreen washers and a hand brake cable sieze recently the van has been faultless. Apart from air con has discharged though, and has a leak in its system. I would buy another, mine is still on its original clutch at 110,000 mile and front discs lasted 76.000 miles, rears went at 35,000? Look after the engine with regular oil changes and it won’t bite you later on in life.

All I can say is lucky you. Me a 58 plate 4 slave cylinders and clutches, 1 injector seized through corrosion. Seat knacked just at 40,000 miles, ohhh 1 month back and we’re on number 5 slave cylinder and probably the other 3 injectors. Have you had the modification to stop rain water leaking onto your injectors? If not, you’re gonna have fun. Mine has been serviced every 18,000 miles by main dealer and cost me a fortune. It has been broken 12 weeks out of 20-ish months. I am just unlucky - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 46587

Damo, Berkshire

Renault Trafic 2005

I have a 55 plate Trafic. I came out to it the other day after work and started to pull away and it juddered like crazy. I went into it today and the clutch was on the floor so I bled the clutch and it seems fine but after hearing the stories on master and slaves failing I have a funny feeling I’m in for a shock bill. Won’t buy again, should have stayed with my Transit.

My 05 Trafic has exactly the same problem. Clutch pedal flat on the floor. Slave cylinder gone apparantly, which has contaminated the clutch lining. Just been told by my garage (Not dealership) that its gonna cost me £820 - Colin Regan from Somerset

My clutch pedal went to the floor last month. I also took it to my usual local garage and they changed the slave cylinder for £280 all inclusive. Put it up on ramps, removed driveshaft(s) split gear box from engine and angled it just enough to get the new part in. In and out in a day. I know things are more expensive down south but that sounds more like main dealer prices - Peter B from Durham

I have tried to drive away in my 54 plate Trafic this morning and when I pulled away, the clutch went to the floor. After being towed to my local garage, a mechanic said he thought it was the slave and clutch and quoted me £300-£350. <br />I bought the van from an auction around two years ago with the gearbox knackered and this cost me £500 to fix but it was still a bargain all-in-all. <br />Despite this, the van is great to drive and served me well over the time. It has 77,000 on the clock and is overdue to a timing belt and for a service. <br />So I will have to take a hit in the pocket but hopefully this will be the last for a while - from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 46583

Rob Amato, England

Renault Trafic dci 100 6 speed 2005

Bought from new, I’ve just replaced new gearbox at 52000 miles. If I had known about these problems I would have never have bought it. Renault know about these problems but won’t rectify them.

Can anyone tell me if Renault will pay for my bill to replace gearbox? I will write a letter soon to them to see what I can get - Rob Amato from England

Same fault on my 52 place 100dci, New box three years ago at 96000 miles and its just gone again at 113000, not a very happy chappy!!! Had it all done by Renault as well so will be kicking off tomorrow, surely you should get more than 17000 miles from a gear box!? - Carl Price from Leicestershire

I had my van from new 03... only just reached 45k and gearbox just gone. The approx estimate £800/2k to repair or replace... other faults glow plugs, air in take valve/ flow regulator... this van has been serviced by Renault 3 times in its life... feel like driving it through showroom window... oh that’s right, I can’t as it’s stuck on my drive... beware if your thinking of buying... total bag of s***e!!! - Hate Renault from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2010-04-21 | ID: 46579

Lee Booth, Sussex

Renault Trafic 150 quick shift 2007

This is the third Trafic I have had and the same problems still keep coming back; clutch judder, grinding brakes.The only good thing is it starts at 4.30 in the morning and 5 at night but will cost you over 70000 miles.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-20 | ID: 46599

Dave, Lincolnshire

Renault Trafic 51 plate 2002

Bought van December 2009, 100, 27 dci etc., 86,000 on the clock, just been mot’d in October 2009. Jan 2010 back off side caliper seized on, got one from breaker yard .com for 48 quid, have been advised by my mechanic to change nearside as well. Track rod ends replaced, ball joints need replacing, then BAM fuel pump died, cost a grand to sort, hazards packed up and hooter, gearbox leaking had the same thing really hard to get in all gears, topped up at the filler hole and it is now running super smooth, still seems to be leaking in couple of places though. I added some Wynn’s gearbox stop leak, maybe slowed a little but definitely not stopped. Sit at 75 to 80 on the motor way (if you are a traffic Policeman quickly run your eyes back and forth across the screen, that’s right you are feeling sleepy, sleepy, you read my speed as 70 mph and under) and returns between 35 an 40 to the gallon. Fab van when its running as it should, would corner the market if only it would keep running as it should.

Still got same van, done 140,000 now, the gearbox leak eventually sealed itself and no more leaks. Had track rod ends replaced both rear discs need replacing now the air bag service light comes on here and there the power steering pump went a couple of months ago and got one for 35 quid second hand, the rear and side sliding door locking mechanisms went and I still need to get them repaired. Airflow meter needed replacing as went on go slow not able to get to 30 mph, second hand one cost me 20 quid and now works ok, injector no 1 shows fault and can often have a slow spot, sluggish but when revs get up it drives ok, after much more driving and getting used to the van it appears to return 40 to the gallon whether in town or doing 75 on the motorway, I will need to change the belts soon, generally it has been a really good van and is continuing to do so, I change the oil every 5,000 and it runs well - from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2010-04-19 | ID: 46597

Richard Wright, England

Renault Trafic 115bhp 2007

I bought a Trafic 115bhp on a 57 reg second hand on 60k and have done 20k in a year. My gear change has gone stiff 3 times so I can’t get it into gear unless forcing it. Mechanic says it’s some roller bearings on the top of the gearbox, which constantly need greasing and freeing off. Renault have done this twice under warranty then refused on the 3rd time. Now the engine warning light has come on and the van has started juddering like a miss fire. Took it to Renault who say it was a fault with the injectors getting water in and shorting out, which they said they had repaired, only to get it back and its still as bad but with no warning light on the dash and to top it off I had it back 3days and the gear change has gone stiff again. Can anybody help me? This is the worse car/van I have ever owned, never again will I buy a Renault.

I have a Trafic with the same problem of water in the injectors. The work was done under warranty. I also have cltuch judder on first and reverse. Should I have this done under warranty? 57 plate with 61k on the clock - David Hedges from London

Submitted: 2010-04-17 | ID: 46600

Les Tearle, Wiltshire

Renault Trafic Primastar DCi 100 2004

Similar van to the Vivaro, where do I start ... Electrics kept cutting out while driving along – it would just stop. I went into an auto electrician and fixed it for £200; they said a wire was tracking in the loom? OK for 600 miles then went out to it one afternoon and there was no central locking, no immobiliser and lamp flashing on the dash. I called AA, they couldn’t fix it. I started searching on the net - could it be the black box under dash? I took it out wiped the board inside and reconnected it. It started fine for a day then nothing again… I sent the box off for repair as I thought it may be faulty. It was sent back with no faults at all, put it back in and it started again no problem. OK for another day... then nothing again. So I decided to take out the ECU and maybe send off for check. So I took it out completely and put in the garage to pack for sending, went out to the van and guess what? The immobiliser light was flashing on the dash, put ECU back in and drove around the block, OK. Left the van for 3 days, just kept checking that light was flashing, went out to use it and light had stopped flashing of its own accord and nothing ... What next I ask?

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 46596

Andy Way, Devon

Renault Trafic DCI140 SL29 2005

I have had the van from new. Had a few minor issues with it but I have found my Renault dealership (Bristol Street) excellent and would recommend them to anyone. Would definitely buy another one.

Submitted: 2010-04-03 | ID: 46602

Paul Mercer, Lincolnshire

Renault Trafic 2007

I have a renault trafic 1.9 07. Don’t buy one, the gear box is no good. My diff has gone at 71,000miles, the total cost of repairs are £2,800. I’ve had this van from new, it cost £14,000 what a waste of time. Renault will not do the repairs? IF YOU HAVE ONE GET RID BEFORE 70,000 MILES. WARNING DONT BUY RENAULT !!

Can you tell me why Renault would not do the repairs? We have the same problem with our office van and our driver seems to have mislaid the booklets that came with the van about warranties etc. Again we had this van from new and it has done 75,000 and the gearbox has gone and Renault are saying they won’t do the repairs but I can’t check up on the warranty offered with the van in the first place - Helen Peperell from England

The trafic is front wheel drive on my 06 plate, there OK if you drive them properly, but having a diff, what age is it. The Trafic is half the price of a VW but just as good. I do airports with mine, it has covered just short of 200,000 miles, the only thing so far that I have had to replace is the airflow meter, £100 brand new, the Bridgstone tyres last for 67000 miles, discs for 90,000 miles. The only real bother has been wheel bearings but there only £100 for a pair and that includes the discs with the bearing already fitted in them. All in all I think there OK, the CD player packs in when heater gets to hot but I just put another CD in, rubber mats are not made for high heel shoes etc etc... I have a mate who has 300.000 miles on his, so if you use motorways a lot get one - Roy Hebblethwaite from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-03-24 | ID: 46617

Steve Thomas, Sussex

Renault Trafic 2006

The van has a very good driving position and height. Good level of equipment, however, the electrics have been bothersome and power levels are only good if driving on turbo, which then drinks fuel. Would I get another one? No. Get a Mercedes Vito instead.

My mate’s Vito (£28,000 new 5 years ago) is plagued with rust, he says he would never get another. Compared to my ’58 Trafic, it is a rust bucket, be warned! - from England

Submitted: 2010-03-15 | ID: 46615

Tim, Devon

Renault Trafic SL27 2002

I have had the van two years. It’s in good condition and had 47k on the clock when I got it, liked the looks and it drove well, comfy etc. Two turbo boost sensors and an air mass meter went within the first six months. In the Renault garage, out of the Renault garage etc, etc. Thought fair enough, it is second hand. Then the van decided it didn’t want to rev past 1500 revs and went into "limp mode" (?) and then worked and then it didn’t etc, etc. AA followed me to a garage. Garage couldnt find the fault back to renault. More money for the fancy computer test. "It’s the EGR valve", "it’s the Air mass meter", its this - change bits put the original bit back on, blah, blah. No-one seemed to know what it was, which is worrying since they build them. Got the van back, took it up the road, still doing the same thing so straight back in the garage - this time they changed some vacuum pump to do with the turbo as it had blocked up (?) anyway seemed to clear the fault, until it rained. Faults back again. For f**** sake! Told Renault that this fault seems worse during or after a downpour, it doesn’t do it when the weather is dry. They said it was coincidence and told me they changed the engine oil as they said it was too thick and blocking up the Vacuum pump pipes, £100 + notes. Could it be a leaky filler cap; there is water on top of the engine after heavy rain or maybe water running into a sensor causing a short? Does seem odd that its worse after rain? They didnt want to know, what kind of service is that at £75 an hour? Now there is a buzzing noise then from the top of the engine when I turn off the ignition. Doesn’t do it all the time. Anyone got any ideas? PS. Renault had their top mechanic on the fault finding and the van still has the same fault, make up your own minds! I wont be buying another Renault, think I might fork out for a Transporter instead. Can’t afford to have the van off the road and playing up as I am self employed and need it to be reliable. Pity as it is a great looking van.

Do the later 2.0 ltr facelift models suffer from the same gearbox problems? - from England

I had the same fault but had light on dash heater plug one, when the light was on it went well when light went out it ran like old cow. The noise appeared, buzzing noise, the same day the turbo went, say no more £500 for turbo +£75 per hr - Trooot Mcmillan from Ayrshire

I had all those problems myself with my Renault Trafic; mass air filter went, which was changed and helped alot but in the end the wiring was the problem, thank God I have a good mechanic who knows what he is doing and saved me a packet. I wouldn’t go near a main dealer as they would rip you off, so take it to a small garage with a good rep and also look after the van as it will look after you. Five mins prior to going, start it up to warm up the turbo etc., and also on a long journey leave it for a few mins for the turbo to slow down. I have 190,000 plus on mine and I change oil, fuel filter, air filters etc every 6000 miles. So long as you don’t drive like a lunatic in it, it will stand you in good stead. Also, I have had the new 2 litre turbo trafic 2007 model which isn’t as good on fuel compared to the 2004 model 1.9 turbo. One last thing, don’t bother with the big roof racks as the they only weigh you down as they weigh a tonne causing you to eat fuel as well - from County Antrim

The problem with your engine not revving in the rain is caused by water getting into the wiring. The throttle on these things ain’t cable, it’s by wire (electrical). Open the bonnet and on the RHS inner wing you will see where all the wires collect. There is a big green plug in there. Disconnect it and spray lots of WD40 into it and connect back together. Guaranteed problem solved. - from Scotland

I have the Nissan primastar 2 ltr version, exactly the same vehicle, which the injectors have shorted out due to water running down the wiring loom under the bonnet. The injectors have seized in engine, Nissan don’t want anything to do with it; it’s 2 1/2 years old 70k. Water running down the wiring loom under the bonnet but apparently it’s not a fault, it’s going to cost me a small fortune BEWARE DONT BUY THESE VEHICLES THEY ARE ALL A PILE OF S**T - Mark Wilson from Devon

Update on the Renault. The clutch gave up the ghost, had that fixed, then the gearbox started making a racket so I sold the bloody thing. I’m never going buy another Renault - Tim Dale from England

I am with you, Tim. I am a trafic hater and will never buy Renault again - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-03-13 | ID: 46607

Dan, England

Renault Trafic dci100 2005

I buy and sell loads of these, and are great as long as you remember a few things. Firstly, the van is mainly made of Renault components, which being are not built like VW or BMW German vehicles. Secondly, all the vans suffer from gearbox problems; this is due to the oil fill hole being too low in the gearbox and subsequently first and second is starved from oil. The best way to avoid this is to fill the gearbox via one of the joining boltholes. But Renault and Vauxhall will drain to the ’advised’ level during their services (made eh). A lot of courier and taxi companies do this and have achieved 200k plus on each gearbox. Lastly, like any car or indeed anything, which has moving parts, the more stress you put on them - the quicker they will break. These vans can begin to fall down at 60km but have had them owned by odd job old boys, which were like new at 170k. Be nice to these vans and they’ll last, drive them hard and they can be a pain!

How much do you recommend to put in as an over fill will be just as bad? Thanks - John Cooper from Yorkshire

I have a DCI 115 07 and can’t get a gear without a major fight; it is as if something is slowly seizing up, could this be due to gear box oil? - from Aberdeenshire

Quite interested in knowing more about adding extra gearbox oil, how is this achieved? - from England

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 46603

Andy Allen, Leicestershire

Renault Trafic 2006

Bought brand new 3.5 years ago. Had to go back the day after I first picked it up. To date its been in 14 times, its had; 3x new clutches, flywheel, new gearbox ordered*, new steering column, 2x ball joints, wishbone(or similar), resprayed, fuel sensor, airbag light stuck on *not fitted due to legal proceedings. It’s now being handled by my solicitor. I have had an independent report done and it needs £8,500 spending, it’s only worth £4-5. My local main Renault dealership have been a joke. I’m going back to a faithful Toyota Hiace! Don’t be fooled by its looks, thats all they have, believe me!

Hi I feel your pain, I have had 4 slave cylinders, a new seat, a cutting out problem, alarm going off and slave cylinder problem from new. It has regularly seviced by Renault every 18,000 miles. It has been off the road for 12 weeks from new, Oct 58 plate. Customer service has not helped, it had its 4th slave cylinder done at 126,000. One month on and guess what, slave cylinder has gone again. I took it to a garage and they said they never replaced the slave cylinder or clutch? Can your solictor give me any tips or help with my case? - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-03-03 | ID: 46625

Daniel Caulfield, England

Renault Trafic 115 2008

These vans apear to be built to last, 100000 miles and thats it! Parking sensors, alternator, dash lights, £500 needed whole unit, speedo, remote locking, gearbox, windscreen seal all commoly reported faulty on vans somtimes with just 15000 miles on the clock. They are relatively nice to drive however with a smooth gear change and quick steering, if a little over assisted but the brakes seem weak when stoping from speed. The 115 engine is noticably livelier than the earlier 100bhp model but still doesn’t have any suprise punch facter.A well designed cabin is anuther feature of this van but compared to the Mercedes Vito the interior isn’t anything special to look at. As for the outside, even the facelift models are looking dated now, far too common a sight, these vans won’t age well and can get exspensive to maintain with milage. <br />I was glad to have sold mine.

I have experienced none of these problems on my ’58 registered Sport. Indeed the only downside to owning this van is that it seems to be like a red rag to a bull to some Transit owners with go faster stripes on their bonnets. They always seem to speed up when I come to cruise past them! Yesteday I had to back off when I got to a 100mph as I don’t fancy losing my licence for a moments lunacy as he occupied the middle lane. The Transit still insisted on getting passed and then slowing down! Madness!! I should have sign on the back saying ’I am not racing today, thank you’. - from England

Hi Steve, my experience is different started going wrong at 18,000 miles and never stopped four slave cylinders, clutches,injectors, anti-roll bars, seat worn out at 48,000 miles, alarm problems. Looks good but expensive - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2010-02-26 | ID: 46622

Brian Ellway, England

Renault Trafic 100 bhp 2002

Best van I ever bought. It had 96000 on the clock, all motorway driving, when I bought it, all it needed was a new steering pump. Now I have 140,000 on clock, all urban driving, still the same clutch and exhaust; I had to have new track rod ends for MoT at 126,000. Always starts first time, always serviced, 40+ miles to the gallon, lovely to drive, chipped it myself, I will buy another. Please dont hammer it, look after it and it will look after you.

Well I still have my Renault Trafic now with 156k on the clock, it’s never let me down. This year I had new gear cables fitted disc & pads all round track rod end, cambelt + kit mot which cost me £1,000, but it’s like new again but I’ve done 32k since my last service, have to get it done soon. Reading all the reviews, I must have bought a good van that was well looked after by the first owner. I’m still on the same engine, gearbox, clutch, exhaust, and battery. I got a good van here. Bye for now - Brian Ellway from Somerset

Submitted: 2010-02-18 | ID: 46620

Richard Constant, Shropshire

Renault Trafic vivaro 2005

Well, I am on the second Vivaro (same as Trafic) now, the first one was an 03 plate the only problem I had with it was the gearbox bearings (told by vauxhall mechanic it was design fault) at 70k; sold it at 2 years 9 months old with 100k on the clock. I had no other issues with it. Second one is a 55 plate. The day after it was collected from the dealership (104 mile on the clock) it desided not to do more that 20mph, it did not matter if I was going up or down hill or which direction the wind was blowing, it would only do 20mph. Local dealer (who I did not buy it from) were brilliant; faulty ecu replaced. Have still got it and it has 150k on the clock. It has been serviced regularly and I have had no further problems untill today, when it’s decided to loose power intermittantly. I will let you know what it is when I sort it out. Having said that, I will definitely buy another one when the time come to replace it.

Hi there, I would be interested to know what caused the intermittent power loss, if you have the time to reply. Thanks in advance - Tim Baugh from France

My Trafic is an 02 reg and it too just does 20 mph now and then but I have no warning, it just does it when I’m driving along. I just stop the van, turn off the ignition and then start it again. My friend said it was something called limp mode for when there is a fault on the engine. So I’ve just fitted a new engine and can’t get it to start at all... - Lee Nulty from Cheshire

Hi, I have had a few Renault Masters and a common fault is blocked injectors. It is easy to resolve, just pour half a bottle of jet cleaner in your fuel tank, make sure you get the one for diesel or petrol. Symptoms: No power and white smoke like the turbo has blown once it has cleared. Add jet cleaner every 4 or 5 fills and it wont happen again - Stephen Catten from Hampshire

Try taking the plug out the mass air flow sensor, found on top of the air box it should run if so change that mine was the same - Gary Brown from England

Submitted: 2010-01-24 | ID: 46639

Daniel, Hertfordshire

Renault Trafic SL27 DCI 100 2003

I had owned this van for 4yrs 2months. Nice to drive and plenty of space inside. Just traded it it in with many problems raising their ugly head. Have had to replace the following items on it: 2 x Mass air flow meters at £200 a pop, Alternator £400, Power Steering Pump £400. Had the cambelt replaced (£600) 6months ago only to have the job redone when the diesel pump broke costing an additional £1250! Garage told me that 3 out of the 4 glow plugs had stopped working potentially costing £1500 to replace if they had become seized in the head. The gearbox was starting to make noises that the garage said would need replacing at a cost of approx £3000+labour+VAT (Renault main dealer and brand new gearbox). Recon box would have cost £1500+labour+VAT! All this is on a 03 plate with 89,000miles. Has a full service history, so had not been neglected either. Would not buy another one of these vehicles as they are too unreliable!

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 46638

Mel Kemp, Lancashire

Renault Trafic 2.5dci 6 speed qs 2006

I’ve had this van from new, and done 48000 miles trouble free.It’s now out of warranty and the electrical warning light has come on, I can’t select Auto mode and the snow mode button won’t work . Has anyone any idea what is wrong? Renault want 90 quid to look at it, but I suspect they should know what is up and are having me over. The van drives ok using Quick shift mode But I’m worried things will get worse. Anyone had similar problems?

Ref to your query, I had a simalar problem and found one of the heater plugs was faulty, once replaced the fault was cleared - David Rowsell from Cornwall

Submitted: 2010-01-12 | ID: 46644

Phil, England

Renault Trafic 1.9 DCI SL27 2002

I have had 3 of these Trafics, all of them have had major problems inc EGR valves. 1 had a gearbox at 100 miles!!!!!! At the moment the 1.9 dci I have is in my garage (it won’t start at all now) having come back from the dealers after a new head, pump, injectors etc., and its only done 40000! DONT BUY THIS S***t

I have to ask, why, after major problems with your first and second Trafic you bought a third? Surely the old adage applies about ’a fool and his mistakes’? - from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-01-01 | ID: 46646

Alpar Benko, England

Renault Trafic Kombi 2002

I bought my Vivaro van (exactly the same as Renault Trafic) in 2003 and loved driving it. Comfortable, fast, good looking, pretty good gas milage but I got disappointed very quickly by facing repairs all the time. I had problems with breaks front ,back, alternator(generator) , turbo, electrical disorder,light bulbs all the time, steering. The body got rusty duts after 3 years. After 140.000 Km the shifting gear needed to be replaced and even replacing it with second hand parts still cost me 1200 euros. I found out later that this is a serial problem and it is very common among renault trafic and opel vivaro ( as they are the same thing). I sold it and will never buy a French car again. I need something reliable (Ford was an option but the reviews are bad about it as well) so I am gonna go with Toyota (excellent reviews) . I do not recomend renault,opel to any person who’s priority is reliability . I hope my experience will be of use to you.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 46627

David Fellingham, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic quickshift 2006

Good to drive, more like a good car, nice to look at, if you have to drive a van then this is the one. First year: Quick shift packed up and it took 4 weeks to find out why under warranty. First MOT: New back dics required at 30000 miles. At 3 years and 3 months old having done 38000 miles I was faced with a £1200 bill for EGR valve, wiring loom repair & replacement injection computor all at once! Asked was it the injection pump but they did not like to say as they all go at 36000 approx! I ran Astra vans for 20 years without any problems, this new bigger van that I did need has disappointed me from a reliability point of view. The sad thing is that I do enjoy getting into the van when it is working.

Hi Dave, I would be interested to know about the problem and remedy regarding your quickshift. I have an 08 that has had a prob from new, which the dealer is unable to fix - from Devon

Submitted: 2009-12-21 | ID: 46628

Steve, Northamptonshire

Renault Trafic 115 LWB Sport 2008

Just coming up for it’s first service at 18000 miles and I am impressed, this van hasn’t missed a beat. I regularly get mid 30’s mpg of very mixed driving and I don’t take paricular care to be economical. A recent trip of 620 miles involving high cruising speeds, many steep hills over moorland and long traffic jams at motorway roadworks returned over 37 mpg which I consider to be excellent. It is quiet, comfortable, has enough space for my needs (including carrying the odd 8’ x 4’) is very easy to drive, has a great view of the road and will cruise effortlessly for hour after hour at relatively low revs. I have run vans for over twenty years and I can honestly say that buying this van was one of my more inspired moves! I would recommend it to anyone.

I agree with you, amazing van, very comfy. I do over 50k a year and average 720 per tank even using the air con although I don’t hammer it, I normally cruise around 75mph on long runs. It’s a dream - Patrick Brennan from England

Mmmmm well enjoy it. It will not last. At 18,000 miles, cutting out problems. I had it a week, could not find fault and alarm going off. 40,000 miles - the seat worn out and slave cylinder, clutch etch. 70,000 miles - another slave cylinder, clutch and seat worn out. 100,000 - another slave cylinder and clutch. At 120,000 - another slave cylinder clutch. At 126,000 - another slave cylinder and fuel injector which goes back to cutting out problem at 18,000 miles. 127,000 - you guessed it, slave cylinder. Pure quality, it sounds like a bad movie. Will I buy again? Mmmmm, let me think...Noooo. Beware, these can be pigs. Just to say, main dealer serviced it regularly at 18,000 miles. Renault has said it is a manufacturing fault with slave cylinder, not my driving ohhhhhhhhh. It has been off the road for 12 weeks since Oct ’08. Once you have done 120,000 miles, let me know then. Has your’s had the modification done so the rain water does not leak onto the injectors? It’s a known fault. If not, get them to do it NOW! It will cause you problems down the road - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Three years on Ashley and not a single problem. I will be ordering the same model for delivery next year. Guess you just had a load of bad luck mate - from England

Submitted: 2009-12-11 | ID: 46630

Mike Pursell, Cambridgeshire

Renault Trafic dci 100 swb 2002

This is the worst vehicle I have ever come across, if I could give the mark as minus 10 stars I would. Where shall I start? Bought as a low mileage demo from some garage in Portsmouth, second day of ownership a piece of metal fell off from underneath the drivers side dashboard, had it refitted under warranty, it then fell off again a week later, left it off this time. Gearbox crashed after only 60,000 miles. And surprisingly it’s just about to crash again (120,0000). I have a theory on this as it appears to be the top shaft bearings in the box again, I reckon it’s not getting enough oil, I think the breather pipe spits out oil as well as air hence lowering the oil level in the box and it’s not getting to the bearings. I have had the cambelt snapped, 20,000 miles within recommend Renault service requirement, and yes the pistons meet the valves and made whoopy. Quoted £8000 for repair from Renault Carlisle, van value at time £4000 or less, declined their kind offer and fixed it for £480 doing it myself. Alternator packed up. Steering wheel came off in my hands, so beware. Now my favorite, the turbo packed in, it took a lot of money and time trying to track this one down especially as the turbo vacuum switch had packed up at the same time! MAF sensor, just the 4 so far the last one bought in France from Renault (£213) ouch! Brake discs front and back twice each, clutch master cylinder, I have clutch judder as I pull away so new clutch going in at the same time as the repair to the gearbox. But to be even handed I will say the o/side front indicator has never given any trouble!....Please don’t buy a Trafic, get something made in Germany.

Interesting forum. A friend has just replaced the gearbox on her Trafic which had, surprise surprise, just done 60000m. She was told this was a known fault with Trafic/Vivaro/Primastar vans and it cost her £1800 to put right. We went to look at a Primastar on Thursday at a leasing company and they REFUSED to sell us the van. They had just spent £1780 on getting it through the MOT on fuel injectors, MAF sensor, and brakes. It came back from the MOT minus 6th gear and they reckoned it needed a new box. The mileage? 61400m!!! They lease vans to companies and reckon that out of every 10 pre 06 Trafics etc they lease 6 will develop gearbox faults just out of warranty at 3 years or 60000m. The fault lies with the clutch master cylinder leaking corrosive fluid into the box which gradually wears the teeth from 6th thru 5th and onwards. - Van Man from County Down

Mike, my, my you have had a stoke of bad luck with your Renault Trafic, this seems to be a regular occurance with Renault. I have a Renault Master which has caused some considerable stress over the last week as after 4 trips to Renault, my Master has been diagnosed with a doggy turbo - cost $6000 and they say that they can’t say that it will fix the problem as there may be something else too. Doesn’t distill any confidence in Renault here is Aus. I must add that your last comment about your o/s indicator did give my wife and I a much needed laugh after the stresses of this week with my Renault. We are in the process of deciding whether to trade in this piece of s**t and get soemthing more reliable and easier to service. GOOD LUCK WITH RENAULT!!!! - Richard Colton from Australia

Hi mate. thanks for all that info. I’ve got a 80 bhp Renault, the 5 gear one... I was getting worried if it is the 5 geared Trafics that have the gearbox problems... are you saying it hass been the 6 geared Trafics that have had all the troubles... anyone know if the 5 geared ones are ? And do I lose in the economy side of things - miles to gallon etc... Thanks - Daz Day from England

Submitted: 2009-12-08 | ID: 46634

Neil Blundred, Warwickshire

Renault Trafic 115 L2 H2 2009

I ordred my van on the 2nd June 2009 from AUTOWORLD Wolverhampton and was told it was made in Luton (British jobs etc..) with a delivery date of mid July-early August so decided to wait for 1st september for 59 reg. called AUTOWORLD mid August to be told the French are on shutdown for all of August ! The salesman lied through his teeth about it being built in Luton as all high roof models are built by Renault in France. called the lying salesman early September and AUTOWORLD could not find any record of my van or when it might arrive. Mid September I called Renault U.K. and there was still no record of my order. So at the end of September I cancelled my order and bought a Citroen! Stick that in your pipe and smoke it !!! p.s. Very happy with the Citroen.

I wouldn’t have bought a citreon, wait until it starts to go wrong and the dealer can’t fix it - Neil Dixon from Durham

So they told you it was made in Luton, do you still believe in Father Christmas too? - Connie Edwards from England

Low roof, short wheelbase Trafics are built in Luton - from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2009-11-14 | ID: 46658

Duncan Stephen, Worcestershire

Renault Trafic 2007

I have the 57 plate Trafic van, 34000 miles and it needs a new clutch. The slave cylinder has been fixed under warranty but I was then told that the new clutch would cost me £1052. Nothing but trouble.

Why not to try Sale of Goods Act? The clutch, slave cylinder and hydraulic unit seems to not lasting reasonably long enough - Ray Dublin from Ireland

Submitted: 2009-10-21 | ID: 46649

Andrew Wells, Staffordshire

Renault Trafic 115dci LWB 2009

As I own a sign company, the only down side to the long wheel base is that it won’t just take a 10ft board without having one of the rear doors open a little, it could do with being a bit longer. Apart from that the van has been a pleasure to drive, it has been reliable, economical & looks great. I had a good deal when I bought it new, the electric windows & air con are a must, I would recommend the van to anyone. I have heard from a couple of my customers that they have had problems with the gear boxes on their Trafic / Vivaro that have cost them a small fortune to replace. I’m not sure if this is a common fault, would appreciate feedback from anyone with same story.

Mine is just going in for clutch slave cylinder under warranty. Great I thought, then they told me new I need a new clutch costing £1052. Nothing but problems from new 57 plate, 34000 miles. Renault do not want to know - Duncan Stephen from Worcestershire

Hi mate. The gearbox problems with these vans are common because the oil sump is far too small so it is advised to change the gearbox oil far more frequently than usual - from Pembrokeshire

I have a problem with the OPK type gearbox on my Espace 1.9 DCi. Specialists say it’s common, Renault do not. Is your gearbox a PK type do you know?? I’m trying to prove to Renault how common the fault is! Any comments can be sent to pkgearboxfault@hotmail.com please get all who have suffered to send details here as i require the evidence to help prevent others facing these huge repair bills please help! - Stuart Tite from Northamptonshire

If your van is still under warranty get the gears checked, our Renault’s gears started jumping out of gear back into neutral after 25 000 - 30 000 miles!! It is a very common problem with Renault. We had our gear box replaced 1 month before our 3 year warranty expired!!!! Renault picked up the bill!! Look at any forum for Reanult, don’t leave it, you will be sorry!! - from England

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 46651

Peter Young, Scotland

Renault Trafic 2009

The air bag warning light and the service light keeps coming on. Keep away from all Renault cars and vans...

I had the same problem with my Vivaro, it turned out to be all the crap I had stuffed under the seats interferring with the seat belt warning sensor - from England

Submitted: 2009-10-05 | ID: 46656

Ray, Scotland

Renault Trafic dci100 2005

UPDATE on my Trafic. At 198000 miles the 2nd turbo chuck it big time, sucked the engine dry of oil. on the day I replaced the van we were on our way home from Oxford when the Traffic chucked it we got it home, I stopped it and it never started again so i bought another Vivaro, accident damaged 05 model, humped high front, no engine or suspenson damage and only 34k and swapped everything over in one lump. I know it might sound to some a bit extreme but i bought the vivaro damaged for £800+VAT and the local garage took £750 to remove and fit engine and suspension in one and I have still all the rest of the van for parts. And the van I bought to replace the first van is a Nissan Primastar se 2.5 dci150 (ok the badges say nissan) but it is a Renault and it goes well so far but I will keep you informed. Ps. I tripped it on a journey from East Kilbride to Tilbury docks it returned 57.1 mpg, that was at 50/56mph.

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 46648

Paul Crumpton, Gloucestershire

Renault Trafic swb trafic 2003

I’m running a swb trafic and am finding strong smell of oil when travelling on motorway recently. Came off slip road this morning, where i found it impossible to get any gears. reading these reports, sounds like I’m in for a major shock with a replacement clutch!

Submitted: 2009-07-16 | ID: 46851

Mark Boaden, Kent

Renault Trafic 2006

I have eight Renault vans, 6 Trafic’s and two Master’s - had Ford and Vauxhall vans too - but Renault by far the best. The Vauxhall’s spent more time in the garage than working. Ford had a fuel problem - took 10 weeks to fix. No major problems with Renault’s, our vehicles do 80,000 miles per year. Master vans side doors are rubbish though - don’t close properly after the 1st week.

Submitted: 2009-06-04 | ID: 46846

Chris McDonald, Northern Ireland

Renault Trafic 1.9dci 100bhp 2005

I have just bought a 2005 Renault Trafic 1.9dci 100bhp with 50k miles. Drives very good, easy to run and nice to handle. I gave the van a full service and then noticed at road ends the van would stall. Put the van onto the computer and it said broken "fly wheel tooth", at the end up it was a broken wire. Fixed by Renault for £148. A week later the master cylinder to the clutch has packed in so it is hard to know what to think, but will keep you posted.

Hi Chris, I see that your van had the cutting out at junctions. Mine has been doing this for ages randomly, sometimes it goes for ages without doing it, but recently seems to be getting worse. Have you any idea which wire it was that Renault repaired? This is driving me nuts but is also dangerous as it loses steering and brakes when it cuts out. Thanks - from England

Submitted: 2009-06-02 | ID: 46847

Daniel Schofield, Nottinghamshire

Renault Trafic sl29 dci swb 2004

What a crock of s**t. I would advise anybody who is thinking of buying a van with this engine to seriously think again. It is nice to drive, comfy and a great size but the mechanics/electrics are c**p and it is not reliable in the slightest, in my experience. I have had a new gear box, clutch, alternator, EGR valve, air mass sensor plus numerous other bits and bobs. I would stay STAY CLEAR.

Submitted: 2009-05-11 | ID: 46849

Michelle, Scotland

Renault Trafic 2006

DON’T buy this muck. It was the worst van I have bought. I had one which we got and had extra seats and a pull down ramp fitted and parts for a wheel chair to clip into this. It was bought brand new and on arriving at my home the electrics were faulty 3 months later. Renault tried again and again to fix; then the roof started to leak and the power steering went, then the gear box went - all before the car was a year old! What a pile of tin.

Submitted: 2009-05-06 | ID: 46843

Martin Bath, Hampshire

Renault Trafic 100bhp Trafic 2004

I bought this van brand new, my problem was the paintwork (unfortunately I bought a red one) and after 18 months white cloudy circles started to show - first on the bonnet then on most of the panels. I took it to my Renault dealer and the first thing he said to me was "Renault won’t be interested in this" (van still under warranty). I even had a phone call from France, all they did was to cut the paintwork back. It lasted a couple of years. Had to sell it before I wanted to due to deterioration. I don’t rate Renault after-sales or my local dealer (Fish Bros.) and would not buy another Renault ever.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 46844

Mike Lane, Dorset

Renault Trafic 2002

I bought the van in 2002. The current mileage is 100250 miles. I run a small business and (would like to) do 20k miles per year. This van is about to have its third replacement gearbox!! at £1400 each. It has had numerous electronics problems 2x BDC sensors, 1x various immobiliser components ie ’black boxes’. 1x Hydraulic steering pump. 1x Windscreen (stress fractures). And finally just out from having its fuel pump and cam sensor replaced the van is making a high pitch whining sound from the gearbox!!! I will NEVER buy a Renault van again. I also have an 03 Trafic which has had very similar faults. Both have a very poor reliability history.

Submitted: 2009-03-31 | ID: 46845

Steve Le Pelley, England

Renault Trafic Flama 6 2006

I’m from Guernsey, but now live in France. In Dec 06 bought brand new Trafic with 2 year warranty in France. Just 3 days after end of warranty hydraulic pump & cylinders failed. Renault France repaired all for free. On 28/12/08 whilst in Guernsey master & slave cylinders failed for clutch hydraulics. £1350 to repair. Renault UK tell me it’s an occurring fault with the Master range, seems also to be with the Trafic’s, having browsed the web. Renault have offered to pay 50% of cost. This morning had meeting with advocate to pursue through courts as Renault France failed to answer just one question; is it possible that they have inadvertently used parts from their supplier that may have been substandard? I have had many more problems too numerous to mention on this site plus 2 recalls one only just before Christmas; the last regarding a possible brake defect.

Hello Steve, I'm French and have got mechanical breakdown with my Trafic 2.5 dci 06/2006. I live in Tours, France - could you please contact me by phone (Home: 0247665799, Cell: 0683460401)? You have said that you contacted a lawyer, I would be interested in talking to you about this - Emmanuel Francois from France

Submitted: 2009-02-23 | ID: 46840

Jason Kennedy, Kent

Renault Trafic 115psi lxb 2008

I bought a brand new van 26 Oct 2008 and have already driven over 8000 miles. Fantastic drive, very comfortable and am getting over 31mpg which, considering I’m a courier is very good! Much more than my trusty old Sprinter! Driving position and seats are excellent, gearbox is a bit sloppy but the 6 speed is really nice. Good overall torque and performance especially when loaded! Excellent handling even down nasty country lanes, smooth and quite on the motorways too! Have noticed a few rust spots and runs in paint - will mention this to garage but Kent is not frozen all the time so am not throwing my teddy in the corner over it! As I did with all previous vans I will do weekly checks and get the van serviced on time - do this and life is easy!!! It’s a work van at the end of the day!

Submitted: 2008-12-30 | ID: 46842

James Meadow, Lancashire

Renault Trafic 1.9 dci 2008

I have had problems with egr valve - manifold over pressurising fault - loss of power fault until turbo kicks in and handbrake sticking when weather is very cold. Lucky I have equipment to fix it or else god knows how much it would have cost. But... when it runs right its ok to drive, its permanently at max weight as I carry tools all the time, the brakes could do with being more powerful, and the engine has not got enough torque when not in turbo range but when i first got the van and it was empty it drove brilliantly. It also drove well at about 75% capacity but any more and it struggles. It seems that all modern vans are the same; too much electronics to go wrong for nothing and cost an arm and a leg to fix if you can’t do it yourself and if you can you end up with a headache, that goes for you to Mr Mercedes and you Henry Ford; bring back the old Transit - it may have been slow and noisy but it always worked.

Can you tell me how you sorted out the loss of power ’til turbo kicked in as I have that problem? Thanks - Ger Whelan from Middlesex

Submitted: 2008-12-30 | ID: 46823

Sid, Norfolk

Renault Trafic 2004

I had the same problem but I had a rattle so, being under warranty I took it to Renault and they told me it was the dual mass fly wheel making the rattle so they took it in only to find out my van had a solid fly wheel - do they know what there on about? I thought they would of checked the serial number on the van first? So they put it all back together with a new clutch & master cylinder & wanted £1000. I told them they got me in the garage under false pretences & only paid £200 - never trust main dealers. I have a 54 plate that carries its maximum wait every day and I get around 42 mpg which I think is pretty good... and I don’t hang around.

Submitted: 2008-12-12 | ID: 46825

Ray, Lanarkshire

Renault Trafic DCi 100 LWB 2008

Hi, I bought a Trafic DCi 100 LWB, my first new van. It seems to go through airflow meters - an average of 25k each time. I had wiring loom under bonnet replaced - most things covered by the good warranty they have. Fuel economy ranges between 38 and 44mpg, the most I’ve had is 780miles to a full tank. I got 74,000 miles out of rear pads and 87,000 out of the front. It has now turned 3 years old and has 180,000 miles on it and still no real problems. I was going to renew but the resale I was offered was £1500 - so keeping it for the moment. This van runs part loaded at 2750kgs all the time since new. Anyone thinking about getting one - I would definitely recommend.

Submitted: 2008-12-08 | ID: 46820

Phil Crompton, Cheshire

Renault Trafic LL29 140 2008

Got rid of under powered Volkswagen Transporter 2.5 tdi to buy Trafic 140 in February 2005. Climbing mountains whilst working in Europe, Transit was a dog whilst loaded with tools, Renault was a dream. Last year at 20,000miles major service, new track rod ends. Warned that brakes were 50% worn. This year problems with turbo-lag. Foot down; then wait a bit, not good when starting from lights etc... Fuel consumption up, major flat spot at approximately 30mph. No signs of problems on computer read out . Going in the shop Monday the 8th of December 2008 for full service and checks. Relatively low mileage of 37K.

Submitted: 2008-12-03 | ID: 46819

Fraser Muir, Scotland

Renault Trafic 2008

Hi readers, just to let you know. I got my van back; great so I thought. The garage told me that they had painted the car all over - this was a lot of lies - all they had done was use a paint brush and painted straight over the rust now the van looks worse than before. I am now very angry and all the sanding down was done with a course sand paper and not smooth so now the van also has big sandpaper scratches all over the car. I went back to the garage ready to kill someone; these people are like time-share salesmen - always telling a pack of lies. I have a meeting with the owner of the garage and now doing TV and newspaper reports for any readers wanting to buy a new van. I would not recommend it. If you could see the state of my van with your eyes you would run a mile from Renault.

Submitted: 2008-11-28 | ID: 46822

Fraser Muir, Scotland

Renault Trafic 2008

Hi readers - just to let you know that my van has been back in the garage for the last four days and no one has contacted me yet to let me know what is happening to my rust bucket of a new van. I am very angry with the customer service of all the Renault garages so I have contacted customers rights and try to get in contact with radio and TV companies to forward my complaints. These people who work in these garages need a good kick in the back side.

Submitted: 2008-11-25 | ID: 46821

Nenad Koprivica, Scotland

Renault Trafic LH1 dci 100 2003

You can talk as long as you wish, but this is the best commercial vehicle I have ever drive (this is not just mine suppose) !!!!! Good performance, little consumption, very very comfortable vehicle, you can enjoy in drive like in much expensive vehicles!!!!! There was no bigger problems at all, just drive your Trafic in service regularly to regularly services and there will be no problems, and drive him normally with enjoy!! p.s. try to put chip with 30% more power, and enjoy, it’s less consumption, I have this chip more then 2 years and I’m very pleased! ;-)

Submitted: 2008-11-17 | ID: 46816

Nicholas Chell, Staffordshire

Renault Trafic DCI 80 2005

Had the van brand new 2005. Good driving position and quite comfortable to drive and in my opinion looks pretty good. Not that good on fuel though! Probably about 22-25 mpg. Had no problems at all with van until yesterday when clutch peddle fell to the floor and I was unable to drive home. Towed to garage by my mate (same van as me, no problems up to yet!) where mechanic says they will have to drop engine out to see what has gone wrong. Sounds like it is going to be an expensive job!!! Van has done 30,000 miles.

Submitted: 2008-11-10 | ID: 46817

Frasier Muir, Scotland

Renault Trafic 2008

I have just bought a brand new Renault Trafic on the 26 of October 2008. The following day I was washing my van and I noticed there was already rust on the roof so I went back to the dealership and they were not very helpful and they are thinking about spray painting the roof again but now I have noticed there is rust everywhere on the van - how could this car be able to be sold like this or even allowed to leave the garage in this state? Why should I accept the van to be spray painted and all the rust sanded out when the car is brand new. So, I am trying to get a new van which I think I am owed. At the moment I am talking to lawyers so stay tuned.

Submitted: 2008-11-05 | ID: 46818

Dave Balfour, Scotland

Renault Trafic dCi 100 SL27 2004

This was my second Trafic - the first has major fuel system problems (2 new fuel pumps, new injectors, new tank, new alternator, new power steering pump etc etc) but as the dealers were very good I tried a Renault again. Unfortunately this one has had major problems also. As the back brakes were sticking (after being checked 6 times at the dealers), it required 2 new back disks and pads. Just before the warranty expired, it wasn’t starting just as it should for a few months and I thought it was just needing a service (which was due soon). About 2 months after the warranty ran out, it was getting really difficult to start so I had a quick look on the web at the forums - it seemed that it might be a problem with the TDC sensor - a common problem seemingly and about £100 to fix. I put it into the Renault dealer and they said it was a faulty injector at £440 to fix. I complained to Renault UK who eventually said they would cover 50% of the cost as it was just out of warranty. Unfortunately, the cylinder head was destroyed (somehow) and (all of a sudden) the 4 injectors were faulty. It ended up costing (with the 50%) discount over £1,500 to put right. Now a few months later, the clutch is slipping and the water pump is leaking and there is an oil leak from somewhere (I think oil is leaking onto the clutch). I have given Renault 2 tries by buying 2 new vans but although they are nice to drive they are quite greedy on fuel and seem to be catastrophically unreliable. Please also note that both vans did break down because of the EGR valve at least once and had to be towed home. I am never buying another Renault.

I have a 57 Trafic. In the past month I have had 2 fuel injectors fitted and I’ve only had the van 6 months. The dealership customer service is a joke - from Scotland

Submitted: 2008-08-26 | ID: 46827

John Carson, England

Renault Trafic 115 dci lwb 2007

The van is a year old and has done 18,000 miles without a problem. Comfy to drive; great with fuel; only downside is the lwb version isn’t that long. Could have done with being just that little bit longer. Value for money though and I will be buying another in 3 years time.

glad to see a positive about the renault tragic.you have only done 18.000 wait a little longer and i will guarantee you will want to thrash the pile of junk within an inch of its sorry life. - from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2008-08-26 | ID: 46826

Keith Tate, Yorkshire

Renault Trafic 2001

Where do I start? My father has owned Renault cars for many years which prompted me to buy a Traffic. I got it at 18 months old 19250 miles. First day out the power steering pump fell off 2 miles from home, was towed to local garage to be told that warranty was void cause it had missed first service. To cut a long story short I had to threaten dealers with newspaper before they agreed to foot the bill, next thing severe over revving when dipping clutch to change gear, was told this was normal for common rail diesel engines to run - what a load of bo????ks - change of dealer time, to cut another story, 7 trips to Renault at 36 quid each on the machine, intermittent fault that’s cancelled when ignition is switched off. After leaving it with them to look at again whilst in for a service was told that there was a known fault known by Renault and they agreed to do it under warranty (although they hadn’t actually witnessed it). Collect van to see it over revving before I got it out of the car park - took it straight back in which a mechanic came out with me on a test but because I’d had the ignition off it had reset itself. Eventually the mechanic spotted it whilst in car park when we got back and took it straight in whilst I was told to go to reception. 1.5 hours later I was told that the main mechanic was now on the case (now I aint been funny but why the hell wasn’t he on from day one) - 45 mins later was given my keys and told it was done, was also told the computer had finally picked up the problem and it was showing the the pressure switch on the back of the clutch was faulty but he had just changed it, it turned out to be a loose wire on the van side of the switch but I was reassured that I was not going to be charged for the computer - wupeedddo - what about all the other 36 quids????????????????? and the last rant as about the fuel economy or lack of it I was informed that these vans would do 40 to a gallon - what another load of boll???s The guy that recorded that lie must of sat on a oval test track at 55mph in 6th gear because I’ve tested it in many ways, full, empty, loaded, unloaded, driven steady, absolutely caned and the best I ever got was 29 miles to the gallon. To which after buying was told by dealer that that wasn’t bad for a van of its size, tuck up like a kipper should have kept my old Iveco, reason for looking on this forum? Turbo and gear linkage has just gone another hire van on go they love me down there regards AND PS I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER RENAULT

Sounds wonderful. Now my traffic clutch is making a clunking noise when depressed. Now I’m depressed. This b thing is costing me a bomb ever since I have had it - Tim Dale from Devon

Submitted: 2008-07-31 | ID: 46831

Conor Cullinane, Northern Ireland

Renault Trafic 2008

Van is only 2 weeks old. A new master cylinder & slave cylinder are needed. The van has been off the road for a week so far as they don’t have a slave cylinder in stock. I’m very disappointed as this is my third Trafic van & its not off to a great start. By the way there are only 2k on the clock.

Beware, tell them it is unfit for purpose. I have had 4 slave cylinders, clutch go up to 120,000. I have just had it back at 126,000. It has gone again now I am hacked off. There is a major problem, it is nice to have someone in my boat. Contact me and tell them you have someone who has had or is going to have 5 slave cylinders. It will not stop at that. Also has your van had a modification done to stop rain water corroding your fuel injectors? If not, get them to do it. Beware, my van was off the road 12 weeks since 58 oct - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2008-05-19 | ID: 46829

Sam, County Antrim

Renault Trafic LL29 dci100 2005

I have driven this van from new and everything was great until about two years in (just when the warranty expired). The first thing to go was the crank shaft sensor. The next thing, around 95k was the clutch slave cylinder, which I gather from all comments I have been able to find online is a common problem with this and all vans with the same body type (Nissan and Vauxhall). It is not a small job with these vans to fix it either. All that taken into account I would definitely buy a Trafic again, the only change I would make is to get a tail lift door instead. It is great to drive and on long journeys it is not as tiring as a car is. If only Renault would get it together with their customer services for issues that are clearly design flaws, hence the 4 stars instead of 5.

Submitted: 2008-04-11 | ID: 46834

Andy Worrall, Cheshire

Renault Trafic 2005

Going to start good to bad, This van is stylish value for money quick and ace to drive. Like they say it drives as a car would , Big fuel tank for those long miles. Miles let me just say the traffic does not like them, At 40k a new turbo was needed, At 60k 2 new track rod ends now at just 70k the clutch is slipping only 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th, 1st 2nd are ok . I think that R gear is to hi putting a lot of strain on the clutch. Engine at the moment would seem to be sound. The van has been over serviced but it works hard for it ........... After all that, there is only one thing left to comment on. NO RUST well done Renault. Note to all, try putting a set of 17" wheels and low pro tyres on as it goes round a corner like stink.

Submitted: 2008-03-25 | ID: 46833

Steve, Nottinghamshire

Renault Trafic 2005

We have five vans ( Traffic) of different ages from 05 up to 57 ,we now have two in the garage one with 96k and one with 112k that require new engine’s , as this happed to anybody else. The two in question are on three year lease which expires in May 08 Renault have refused to help with the cost of the repair due to high mileage, is it high mileage for working vans ?

Submitted: 2008-01-15 | ID: 46835

Paul Kelly, London

Renault Trafic 2003

Have had a clutch problem on Trafic van since 36,000 kms (21,000miles). Full clutch kit and slave cylinder changed as i couldn’t select gear because pedal would not travel full distance up. 15000 kms (9000 miles) later, i’m getting clutch slippage in 3rd to 6th gears but not 1st and 2nd gears. Renault Australia are dragging their feet. This is my business as i do carpet & tile/grout cleaning. The dealers themselves have been very helpful, but Renault head office are looking for a way out i feel. Apart from this problem, i love the van, it looks great and is so economical. If they fix this problem i don’t know whether to keep van or not, because if it happens again i just can’t afford to have it off the road again. Renault needs to work on customer service, not just future design, otherwise people will steer away from their products.

Seriously, tell them it is unfit for purpose. Get your money back now. I have experienced a bad one, get out now - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2007-12-18 | ID: 46838

Daniel Garret, Norfolk

Renault Trafic SL27 dCi 100 2007

This van really stands out from the crowd thanks to some very stylish bodywork. Getting your company name noticed whilst on the road is not to be underated and this van certainly achieves that. The van itself is very easy and enjoyable to drive and comes with a good standard spec. Excellent value for money.

LOL - Ashley Vass from Berkshire

Submitted: 2007-11-26 | ID: 46836

• A response has been made to Vince Fox (26/08/2014 22:52:52)
  • A response has been made to John Carson (25/08/2014 13:49:21)

• Ian's question has been answered: "Thanks Leon, worked a treat. Nice clear directions were hepfful also. Cheers Ian - Ian from Gloucestershire' '..." (02/09/2014 18:16:15)
  • Sue Randall's question has been answered: "Same thing happened to my 9 seart renault trafic taxi burst radiator garage said a stone must have hit it. warrenty would not cover because they said - Janice from Dumfries and Galloway' '..." (22/08/2014 16:09:51)

Renault Trafic

Sport Van 2.0 D SL27 Dci 150 - French maker Renault introduced the Trafic Sport van as its most stylish work vehicle ever and if you take a look at the pics, the marketing talk may just have had a point. Renault believes that if you spend all day in the driver’s seat, then you should have comfortable and stylish surroundings. The [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report