Renault Master consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Master

Renault Master consumer reviews by year of make:1998 2000 2001 2004 2005 2007 2008 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014

Renault Master consumer car reviews

stephen brown, North Ayrshire

Renault Master 2010 - 2014

i had a 02 plate master van and it was a good van for me but i decided to ugrade and because the master had been good to me and the space in the back was right i decided to go an get the new shape master, wow big mistake the thing eats diesel, the computers constantly needing reset, the heater in the cab went which is no fun in the winter, after 3 attempts the renault dealers finally managed to get it fixed so now i,m just months out of my warranty an the power steering pump has gone and have been advised my ball joints will need done and also the radio doesnt work properly any more and thats just after 40 000 miles so never again renault with its nissan engine

Submitted: 2014-06-01 | ID: 96670

Paul Woolley, England

Renault Master 2.2dci 2001

Bought this van new 2001 I was scared of buying a French van after having a Transit for nine years and thinking that was good. Was I wrong? What a van! Wonderful to drive, the best van I have ever had. She is 13 in April, has 128 thousand on the clock and I have had only the power steering pump and three bulbs go on me. The one injecter has just started to puff on me, which I am going to have done. She still looks great and the last time I had her serviced the guy thought I had a private number plate as he could not believe she was a Y reg. I like the van, but I am getting old now and I suppose one day I will have to get a smaller van, but it will be a sad day when we say goodbye.

Submitted: 2014-02-23 | ID: 45973

Tony Clifton, Essex

Renault Master 1998

I have just purchased a Renault Master 1998 model, everything on the instrument panel works apart from the speedo which is affecting the mileage. I’m not sure if this is a simple case of a replacement fuse or a bigger problem. Any one out there got any answers for me?

Hi have similar problem on my 1998 Renault master van , I come to the uk every second year and spend 2 months of your summer cruising your beautiful country. After 1 seasons holiday everything seemed normal The next summer the speedo started stopping intermittently. This season 2014 the stops got longer that the goes---- one day it did not work at all. The next day I got lost on a very very narrow road in Wales and had to reverse 400meters down the road. The moment I started going forward the speedo started and went for the entire day with out a hitch!!!!!!!! try backing it may work for you By the way I love the van Has given me no trouble drives like a car, this time I came over it had sat in a barn for 2 years. With out charging the battery it started instantly Tell me how the speedo responds.. Paul Watson - paul watson from New Zealand

Hi have similar problem on my 1998 Renault master van , I come to the England every second year and spend 2 months of your summer cruising your beautiful country. After 1 seasons holiday everything seemed normal The next summer the speedo started stopping intermittently. This season 2014 the stops got longer that the goes one day it did not work at all. The next day I got lost on a very narrow road in Wales and had to reverse 400 meters down the road. The moment I started going forward the speedo started and went for the entire day with out a hitch try backing it may work for you By the way I love the van Has given me no trouble drives like a car, this time I came over it had sat in a barn for 2 years. With out charging the battery it started instantly Tell me how the speedo responds.. Paul Watson - paul watson from New Zealand

Submitted: 2013-12-10 | ID: 45972

Mike Noble, London

Renault Master DCi 100 MWB 2005

My first Renault van, bought when it was two years old, and what a surpise. Fast, economical, reliable, comfortable and relatively quiet. Avoid main dealers - they quoted £390 for a basic service, £1200 for a clutch and £1100 for a cambelt change, almost three times the price that my local garage did the work for. Air con has a slow leak, common problem, but as long as it’s topped up every year it keeps working. Great van.

Submitted: 2013-09-14 | ID: 45971

Nigel Brown, Hampshire

Renault Master Mm2.2 2007

Great van, which I’ve had from new and never had a problem. It has the quick shift gearbox. It’s fast economical and I get it serviced locally as I’ve found main dealers to be liars and tell you that it needs parts when it doesn’t, so beware. I’ve just bought my 3rd van. Love them!

Submitted: 2012-11-17 | ID: 45970

P Ever, Germany

Renault Master l2h2 2.5 2004

They are relativly cheap to buy and don’t rust, but that’s the only positive stuff I have to say about the Renault Master series. These Masters have to go down as the most unreliable Transporters of all time. Mine has been nothing but trouble from day one; gearbox, clutch, engine just cutting out, various fuel and electrical issues. Also problems with locks, breaks, bearings, steering, air con leaking or not working. The driver’s seat has worn out before it should, etc., etc. Virtually everything that can break on a vehicle, will break. This is a Transporter that basically never works right. There is ALWAYS something that needs doing to it. It is more broken than not. I think it’s a scandal that Renault can sell such a heap and get away with it. It clearly has serious faults designed into it. How can a modern company even sell such a faulty object and not go bankrupt? Easy, they don’t admit any fault and let the end user pay for everything over and over again. It’s great for them and it takes a long time for the consumer to realise what a disaster this vehicle is. There is no real way the consumer can be aware of the scale of the problems that Renault have with these Masters. You could not give me a Renault Master, I wouldn’t take it. I’d sooner walk than go through that kind of nightmare again.

Submitted: 2012-09-22 | ID: 45969

David Brown, Staffordshire

Renault Master 2004

We have had this van from new and it has been a reliable vehicle. We didn’t really have anything done to it until 50,000 miles when it had new breaks all round. The tyres average 40,000 miles and we get around 34 mpg as it is always fully loaded; this is very good as our Mercedes Vito only manages 26 miles to the gallon.

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 45968

A, Buckinghamshire

Renault Master LWB 2.5 120 2008

This is our 4th one since 2000, tweaked to 154bhp and it is just as good as the previous ones. Currently on 140k the only parts fitted other than routine service are 3 sets of pads to the front, a set of discs, and a set of pads on the rear. Just removed the tyres off the rear as they had done 130k and we usually get 35k off the fronts.

Submitted: 2011-01-20 | ID: 45967

Matt, England

Renault Master MWB 2005

I have 2.5 DCI 80hp MWB. I bought it 3 years ago with 26k on the clock. I did 35k miles in it without almost any problems. The only thing was o’ring somewhere in the clutch mechanicsm which is hydraulic. It cost me £300 incl parts to change it as whole unit had to be changed. Otherwise no problems at all. Very economical returning 32-33mpg on the motorway if you keep it at 60-65mph. About 24-25mpg in London which I think for the size is brilliant. Loading is easy as the floor is low, handling regardless of the load is very good. Medium heght roof allows to stand freely when loading which is great for my back. The only thing which could be better is noise level above 70mph. Overall a really great van.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-04 | ID: 45966

Peter J Thompson, Lincolnshire

Renault Master swb 2.8 dti 2000

Had van since new and done 225000 miles only - new gearbox and put clutch in as part. Of course it has had many different drivers; used on farm and motorway work and been worked very hard. Only let us down once - fantastic vans!

We have a pair of 2008 Masters, one a LWB 120 (2.5 ltr), the other a MWB 100 (2.5ltr as well). Both on 80,000, both excellent. We ran a 2005 LWB high top for 185,000 trouble free miles and I still wonder why we ever replaced it. Superb vans - highly recommended - John Miller from Herefordshire

I bought an ’07 Master 150bhp not too long ago with 62k on the clock and all i can say is I’m sorry I ever laid eyes on the pile of scrap. It has been nothing but trouble since I got it. Fault lights keep coming on the dash and losing power, running on limp mode, and now I’ve been told that there is a whine coming out of first and second gear and the gear box could be on the way out - from Ireland

hi I'm thinking of buying a Renault master wheelchair minibus 2002. I've test driven it and I've notice that when I partially turn the ignition on there's a humming noise, almost like its running. is this normal? could it be just powering the fuel pump or similar?? - from Cornwall

Submitted: 2008-10-08 | ID: 45974

• "Hi, my van had an accident and is damaged in the front and driver`s side and I couldn`t start it. I changed the fuel pump in the tank but it`s still ..." (karim, 14/11/2014 08:53:29)
  • "My van starts but won`t rev up. I had the ecu checked bit nothing showing, only 80,000 miles and this is first trouble? ..." (chris kavanagh, 09/11/2014 15:45:34)
  • "We have had a recon engine fitted into our Renault Master minibus, a new turbo, new ear valve. We are getting full revs when revving it up but as soo..." (Ian, 07/11/2014 11:48:57)
  • "just started blowing black smoke recently drives perfect starts first time every day does anyone know why this as started happening all of a sudden..." (john, 30/10/2014 19:12:25)
  • "I have a Renault Master converted into a horsebox, I drove her yesterday and on occasions it would not go into 2nd gear - would you know what the fau..." (Sharon, 27/10/2014 10:43:25)

• Mike Culley's question has been answered: "Hi Mike, my husband's van was the same when he first bought his. After quite a few hours of being checked up at the local garage and after testing var - Sara from West Yorkshire' '..." (24/10/2014 10:22:05)
  • bob's question has been answered: "Hi Bob , There is a beeper bulb available on ebay which relaces a reversing bulb and apparently emits a loud beep as you reverse and also provides rev - mike lillie from Torbay' '..." (19/10/2014 19:09:02)

Renault Trafic