Renault Kangoo Van consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Kangoo Van

Renault Kangoo Van consumer reviews by year of make:2000 2001 2003 2005 2007 2009 2010

Renault Kangoo Van consumer car reviews

Pat Fray, Gwynedd

Renault Kangoo Van 2003

I bought a 53 plate kangoo and had it for almost 3 years. It had 87,000 miles on it when I bought it, but later discovered it was on its second engine. I loved this van to drive - getting in and out of the van is made so much easier by the handles on the pillar. I had winter tyres on it all year round and handlng was really good, and got almost 60 to the gallon doing 60-70mph most of the time. But it’s the most unreliable piece of junk I’ve ever owned. The speedo stopped working at about 97k, and so did the odometer/trip meter. Occasionally the engine management light would come on and suffer a drop in power, the van wouldn’t rev above 2k. After a while an owner gets used to a vehicles’ quirks and niggles, but I put up wih this van for too long. When the van was cold, if you switched the ignition off after anything less than 30 mins driving, it would start up but wouldn’t rev. Only solution was to leave the van for at least 4 hours and let something reset. Renault could never find the fault, all they would do is charge a fortune for diagnostics checks and diagnose non existent faults or fail to find real faults! The heater stopped working, and new fuses, new rheostat, new fan motor, new switch did nothing t fix it. Changed the clutch and heater started working again.... But the stereo and reverse light stopped working! I will NEVER buy a Renault again.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 45928

John Morton, Lancashire

Renault Kangoo Van ML19 2009

Being an ex Renault Mechanic, I know what Renault’s are about and what the dealers can be like. I would normally opt for cars from Japan. But on the van front there does not seem to be a van what matches the Kangoo. I have the 105 Model 1.5 diesel, what a great van, great fuel and really responsive. I have done over 10,000 miles now and not even a bleep from the van. I’m just reaching 28,000 miles. Renault’s, in my view, always drive great when they are new and for the money there aren’t many cars or vans that can touch them. I do have a concern over the electrics down stream as they seem to struggle, which for me lets Renault’s down. Over all I can not fault this van, I do not feel there is a van that can match it, including its French friends. Would I buy another? Yes I would actually, just on fuel and ride alone. Just to let you drivers know, always buy the 1.5 diesel and make sure its later then 2005 model because they changed the fuel pump, which gave problems. My other vans I had have been VW T4, Ford Transit and Toyota Hiace. I would say the Kangoo over all drives better and gives better value for money on the whole cost wise. Just make the dealers better then you will have a winning package!

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 45926

Colin Tickner, Gloucestershire

Renault Kangoo Van 1.9d 865 2000

I’ve had my Renault Kangoo 1.9d 865 model for 6yrs and have done 60k now. I have found the vehicle to be a real work horse. Mine is only used for town driving and is now on 90k. My total spend is £1695 for servicing and parts and that’s not bad. It’s a versatile van and great around town for fuel return. It doesn’t have many extras on it, but it does what it’s suppose to do. Granted it’s the older model engine and maybe that’s the reason for less problems?

Submitted: 2012-06-19 | ID: 45927

Dampworks King, Kent

Renault Kangoo Van 5 Door 2010

I should have spent the extra £1000 on a Berlingo or older Connect, this van is plain nasty. It’s a very clean van with only 30,000mls on the clock, but boy the engine is a real dog. It rattles and makes noises, has no power and it does 45-50 mpg at the most. Compared to my new shape Berlingo or the 07-08 and 09 Connects we have it’s a peace of old junk. I think they put a new body on a very old van. It’s ugly, but looked quite nice sign written. I spend 3 hours a day in the cab and it’s a harsh place to be. It’s truly guttless and old school, my Escort van would beat this off the lights. It’s been reliable so far, but I’m not sure I can live with it. Buy a Berlingo for comfort or a Connect for work. Simple.

Submitted: 2012-03-10 | ID: 45925

Henry Hinge, Hampshire

Renault Kangoo Van 1.5DCI 2005

I Bought my very clean Kangoo van privately in april 2011 with 83000 miles on the clock. Very clean inside and out 6 year old van low mileage what could possibly go wrong? Well it lasted 9 days. Big end blew and only then did I start doing the research I should have done before. Have a look how many of these vans there are for sale with blown engines, research the reliability of the 1.5 DCI engine, I’m afraid it does not make pretty reading. Maybe I just got unlucky but scared by the experience I’ve gone to a dealer and got myself a Toyota Hiace having read the excellent reviews on this site. The dealer told me that the Kangoo is the worst small van on the market and he flatly refuses to retail them. Buyer beware.

Thanks for the information on Renault Kangoo, I was about to book a Renault 1.4 7-seater until I read your complaint, I will never consider a Renault, maybe I will go for Toyota mpv. Thanks for feedback - Lawrence Law from Malaysia

Submitted: 2011-05-03 | ID: 45922

Paul Sabin, England

Renault Kangoo Van 2007

This van looks pretty. I have had it put on a dia machine and it says number 3 injector, but number 3 injector is working. It cost me an arm and a leg, put 5 sets of new ones in and van no different. Wish I’d have kept my old tatty van.

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 45924

David Young, Yorkshire

Renault Kangoo Van 2005

I am a courier driver, I did 212,000 miles in 3 years and I never laid a spanner on this van apart from new front pads and disks and of course servicing. Even the rear shoes were original when I sold the van...truly magnificent van.

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 45918

Alan Smallwood, Spain

Renault Kangoo Van 2001

My daughter bought for me a second hand Kangoo van a few years ago. It has been marvellous. A hard working economicai and efficient machine. Last October I lost the ignition key, the only one. I know, I won’t do that again. My local Renault main dealer (Benissa, Alicante) took the van to their workshops and 3 months later sold me two new keys for 1,200 euros. Is this normal? I feel ripped off.

Submitted: 2010-05-24 | ID: 45919

Johannes du Preez, South Africa

Renault Kangoo Van 1.5cdi 2007

I have had this, my Postman Pat (that what my grand children call it), for 4 months now and I can only say that it has been a fun to have. Being 6’5" and with the weight to go with it, I can only say that getting into the vehicle has been tremendous. No more bumping my head or rubbing it against the head liner. The van is economical on fuel 5.8lt/100km runs at a steady 120kph on the highway, what more can I want? My wife and I travel all over with it. Exellent vehicle and now I want to ask Renault to do something for my city of East London, South Afrika "Join Mercedes-Benz and build your factory here!" Thank you<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-10 | ID: 45917

Steve Lawrence, Lancashire

Renault Kangoo Van ML85 A/C + 2009

Bought the van in may and have covered 6000 miles to date. Bought it mainly because we bought a Trafic van 3 years ago which has proved a good buy. All 3 drivers/family members like the van and it has proved economical/reliable/ and easy to drive. Only mystery is why we never see other new Kangoo’s on our travels?

Same as you, love the van. Most people don’t know what it is because they have not caught on here. Everywhere in France, must be the No.1 van in France at the moment - Alex Artson from England

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 45920

• A response has been made to Henry Hinge (03/05/2011 10:35:06)
  • A response has been made to Steve Lawrence (07/10/2009 10:55:56)

• "I am getting a doe test on my Renault Kangoo Van and just seen what I need to know. Do I have to have standard Renault wheels or can I change them? ..." (Philip McCarthy, 03/04/2014 11:55:40)
  • "Hi. I have a 52 plate Renault Kangoo Van and just recently when I heavily accelerate out of junctions etc, the engine management light, stop light an..." (Samantha Fulcher, 03/04/2014 10:09:34)
  • "Hi. Can anyone tell me how much diesel I have left when the light comes on in my Renault Kangoo Van? Thanks for your help. ..." (Frank Williams, 01/04/2014 09:01:17)
  • "I have a rather irritating failure (especially here in Singapore), the heater inside my Renault Kangoo Van is on all of the time. The fan is fine, I ..." (Gordon Lamb, 21/03/2014 11:36:01)
  • "Hello, my steering on my Renault Kangoo van is a bit stiff. Do you know if it has a fuse for the electric pump on it? I have checked the power steeri..." (Andrew Elsworth, 25/02/2014 16:33:59)

• Philip Kelly's question has been answered: "This happens to me when the light switch inside the rear doors gets bumped to on. I never remember touching it - Chris McGuire from Australia' '..." (21/03/2014 16:45:26)
  • Greg Beale's question has been answered: "The brake switch is located on the brake pedal. Place your hand on the pedal and follow upwards and the switch is there. It is a simple fix with a cli - Brad from Essex' '..." (09/03/2014 16:18:58)

Renault Trafic