Renault Kangoo consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Kangoo

Renault Kangoo consumer reviews by year of make:1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

Renault Kangoo consumer car reviews

stephen, Antrim

Renault Kangoo 1998 - 2003

Can anyone tell me if the 2001 Kangoo vans have power steering?

Submitted: 2014-10-08 | ID: 104245

scott, Northamptonshire

Renault Kangoo 2003 - 2009

Black smoke is coming out when it`s running and it won`t go above 30mph?

Submitted: 2014-09-13 | ID: 103062

Peter Howe, Ireland

Renault Kangoo 1.2 2003

I bought this Renault Kangoo car 1.2 model 03 and I have to say I have had no problems with it so far. With only one owner prior to myself it had only 52000 miles on the clock, was in high spec condition and was well looked after. There is plenty of head room, the cabin is spacious and the seating is high, which offers a great view all round. I drive it every day, it’s lovely to drive and I would not change it for the world. It’s a great family car and the sliding doors are great; when I put my grand chrildren into the car you dont have the worry of the door being wide open on main roads. I think I got a great car for my money and I hope I am trouble free for a few more years. When I bought this car I had it serviced and the timing belt changed, which were included in the price of the car from the garage, together with a full MoT. I hope all the people that drive Renault Kangoo 1.2 03 model are as luckey as myself.

Hi, just been looking at a 1.4 Kangoo car not van. It’s priced at 2695, one owner full service history. It’s ten years old, people saying that it’s too much for a ten year old car. Wondering if any one has any advice pls - Debi Shortland from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 45908

Brian, Ireland

Renault Kangoo 1.2 2003

I have the 1.2 version of this, which I bought second hand two months ago. I have MS and needed something high to be able to sit into. I got this against my better judgement as my previous car had to be scrapped and so was stuck for a car. There were a few things wrong with it when I was buying it: Passenger side window switch was not working, a parking light was gone, the middle air vents were not working and were sealed shut with sellotape! Also there was a screeching noise from the front when starting and moving off and the car was pulling badly to the left. The garage fixed these, eventually; they told us they were all fixed and then we realised that it was still pulling to the left and that air vents had only had the tape removed from them. It is now making a crazy screeching noise from the back when pulling off in first gear, but of course it wouldn’t do it when I tried to show the garage. Apart from that, it is seriously underpowered for the size of the thing, and I curse and swear at it every day on my commute to and from work. On the positive side, it is amazingly roomy and the seat is nice and high for me. I don’t think I would ever recommend one to anyone though.

I have exactly the same problem with my 207. It’s in the garage now, they are going to try changing the lock but think it may be a wiring fault so they’re going to have to strip the door down to look further. If the lock change doesn’t work... which sounds expensive! - Helen M from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-12-19 | ID: 45910

Bryan Foster, England

Renault Kangoo 2001

This Renault Kangoo is the single biggest load of c**p that I ever had the misfortune to set my hands on, I was in the Motor Trade for 30 odd years and in all the vehicles that I worked on and owned I have never before come across such cheap and utter rubbish. Everything breaks, new window switches, new engine mountings, "all of them" new clutch and pressure plate, new front suspension, cam belt, fan belt 3 times "like a elastic band", imobaliser failed, battery draining down to earth over night. I hate this car, I absolutely hate it. I am a seriously disabled person now, and I will never buy another Renault so long as I live, and I fully intend to inform every single person that has a pair of ears what a load of complete and utter c**p they are, how on Earth are they allowed to get away with it??

I too have been in the motor trade for years and although I was dubious about buying a Renault Kangoo 1.5 dci 2003. Never the less I did three years ago an ex-council van and touch wood, I have had very few problems with it. Infact in three years, the only problem with it was a broken wire to the ecu which caused a starting problem but simple to repair. It now has 117,000 miles on the clock and is still going strong - so either I got a good one or you got a bad one - Colin Herdman from Stirlingshire

I’ve got starting problems and can’t find the break in the wire. The van bumps and starts ok but about every 50 or so times it just won’t start. Could you give me any pointers on where to look for the broken connection? The diagnostics show the problem area to be the relays in the ECU area but I have changed them for new and still got the problem. Any help on solving this problem would be much appreciated - Tom Bryan from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Hate the Kangoo with a passion, nothing but trouble will never buy a Renault again. Never, never, never, not a mechanic but I am an engineer and know when something is built like a straw house. Shame on you Renault, I will make it my life’s work to let everyone know not to buy Renault. Tut! - Sean price from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-05-19 | ID: 45903

John Kirk, Inverness-shire

Renault Kangoo 4x4 Diesel 2007

The best 4x4 I have driven; sure footed on our steep fields and good on snow, has narrow tyres and under powered so ideal for bad roads, better than my Mitsubishi l200 in wet fields and ice. Down side: expensive to run, spares for 4wheel drive shaft about £1000 and no bearing to fit shaft so only new shaft; the wife loved the car.

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 45902

Lance Edwards, Flintshire

Renault Kangoo Diesel 2003

Bought from new in late 2003. Alternator had to be replaced 3 times under warranty and then driver’s seat collapsed. Took out a year’s extension of warranty in case disasters continued, but no further problems! Radiator rusted through and cost about £200 to replace, but servicing not expensive and only every 18000 miles. (Haven’t paid main dealer prices but found good local garage). Now just had it MOT’d at 90000 miles and had to spend about £700 for new springs and new cam belt (which we should have had done before). So no complaints. Never failed to start, economical diesel engine, never broken down. Problem is, what do we buy next? Having downsized for retirement want a somewhat smaller equally reliable car, but reading reviews puts me off any replacement!

Submitted: 2010-08-16 | ID: 45907

Anthony King, Cardiff

Renault Kangoo 2005

My renault kangoo makes a knocking noise as I start to go up a hill, otherwise it runs ok.

Submitted: 2010-06-20 | ID: 45900

Farrah Slater, Wiltshire

Renault Kangoo 1.4 RXE 1999

I have had this car a few months now and it is fantastic, it suits me perfectly as I can use it as a van with the seats down or as a car. My model has all of the extras:- a/c, remote c/l, e/w, etc. It is great on fuel, comfortable and very spacious. The only thing I have had go wrong is temperamental electric windows, I think it has a short in the drivers side door, when I bang it, it works again! I had the basic model Renault Kangoo 1.9 turbo diesel a few years ago and it was great as well. I would definitely recommend it if you need a roomy car.

Submitted: 2010-01-30 | ID: 45901

Charles Blascsok, Kent

Renault Kangoo 1.5 dci 86hp 2007

Bought the Kangoo new in August 2007. I drive a 60 mile commute every day and have 26000 miles on the clock. 2 services and nothing but filter and oil changes so far. The engine has so much torque that passing on a country lane is confident and trouble free. Tight corners at speed make you a bit seasick as it wallows a lot so slow down as its not a sports car. Side-winds hardly bother the car, a fact which seems strange considering its height. I’ve driven it on Hungarian motorways at 90mph for hours without feeling insecure in a heavy side-wind (a Honda Accord I owned was much more sensitive, a 69 Volkswagen van used to put me in the other lane.) Since I’ve owned it I have averaged @50mpg and my small son loves the space in the back. Modern vehicles tend to be very claustrophobic but this is such a bright happy car with lots of room for a small family on long trips. The headlights are the best I have ever driven with in a car. Very good spread and length on low beam, extreme distance on high. The brakes are a bit spongy and loud first thing in the morning, but so far this is the only fault I have found in the car.

Submitted: 2009-03-02 | ID: 45916

Joe Flood, Northumberland

Renault Kangoo tetra 2003

I bought this just over a year ago and must admit I have been pleased. That is until I took it for it’s MOT and service. £1142 all told and that is without the 2 tyres I needed. Collapsed shaft bearings, brake disc and drive belt on a car I had owned for less than a year and have never driven off road (it’s a 4x4). It only has 35000 miles on the clock. So, boo to Renault and their chocolate car parts.

Submitted: 2008-09-26 | ID: 45912

Bronwyn Phelps, Northumberland

Renault Kangoo 1.9 dCi Trekka 2005

We’ve just bought this used Kangoo and are absolutely thrilled with it. It’s very easy to drive and is like a tardis when it comes to space. Perfect for a family of 4 with dogs, bikes, buggy etc.

Submitted: 2008-04-14 | ID: 45913

John Simpson, Surrey

Renault Kangoo 2007

We have a Renault Kangoo under the Motability scheme, it is a 1.6 automatic with a drop floor to allow wheelchair access from a company called "Constables" and the conversion and the car is excellent for its use as a wheelchair carrying vehicle. Very good on petrol and is reliable in every aspect of motoring, well done Constables and Renault. Power steering and air con are both very good along with the open vision from the driving point of view, have not found any blind spots at the moment so this car for my use is a terrific little car, the wife Brenda also likes the car and has no problem or regrets in getting it.

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 45914

Samuel Johnson, Kent

Renault Kangoo 2001

The Renault Kangoo is a good Muti-Purpose Car. It is very good at towing as you can not even feel yourself towing a trailer. The Kangoo just cruises along very smoothly along the roads and motorways. The car it self is very comfortable, you can fit 5 full adults in the car without feeling uncomfy, you have the luxury of air-con which cars down the Kangoo very quick in just under 2mins. The car also benifits tall people as it has a very large space for headroom. The driving position is perfect for any driver as it is high up above standard cars. You have got a huge plastic based boot for transporting big loads i.e. large dogs (enough room for our Airedale Terrier & Westie to lay flat out). In the back you have loads of leg room. The rear seats fold up to the front seats so you have doubled the boot space like a mini van, it has tie down d-rings in the boot floor, the boot floor is all plastic. The plastic floor has lots of benifits i.e. going to the dump, transporting dirty loads as it just wipes clean very easy. We have never had any problems with our Kangoo. We have nothing bad to say about it because it is perfect in every way.

Submitted: 2007-11-13 | ID: 45915

• A response has been made to Peter Howe (10/02/2013 12:02:41)
  • A response has been made to Brian (19/12/2011 10:24:36)

• Zemenu's question has been answered: "8135 - shane from Ireland' '..." (19/09/2014 23:32:38)
  • Jim Cleary's question has been answered: "Had an electrician run a seperate ground cable for me, works 100% now if I take the cable out of the battery terminal no power steering, my solution - Imraan from South Africa' '..." (10/09/2014 18:36:41)

Renault Trafic