Renault Grand Scenic consumer car reviews and road tests

Renault Grand Scenic consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007 2010

Renault Grand Scenic consumer car reviews

Oliver, Berkshire

Renault Grand Scenic 1.5dci 2005

This car was so bad I am never buying a French car again! I had to register just to rate this car. The list of problems was endless, the worst being the injectors! Also had faulty electrics. Probably ok if you buy new and only keep it for 15 thousand miles! Total rubbish! Now driving a Honda.

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 45895

Graeme Scott, Scotland

Renault Grand Scenic dynamique 2005

I’ve had this car since 2006. The first major problem was the disappearing dash, which we managed to get replaced cheaply, after hearing it was a major problem. I’ve had odd niggles along the way, but it was fine for a good while after that, but it’s making up for it all now though. This year it’s needed new suspension and a new parking brake, also the air conditioning was topped up a few weeks ago and has stopped working again. One of the back windows won’t open and now I have a beep and "stop" showing on the dash; goodness knows what that will reveal. Having spent al ot on it this year I think it’s time to say goodbye. Reading lots of other reviews it doesn’t sound like it will get any better anyway. I would have considered another one of these because I love the automatic clutch and the comfortable drive (never had any complaints from the kids in the back). I have had a lot of use of the extra seats, but it seems like too big a gamble. I just want a reliable vehicle for a change.

Submitted: 2012-09-10 | ID: 45893

Sean Boston, London

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 DCI Dynamique 130 2007

Bought this new, had for 4 years. Visits to the garage 12, cost 4k. Issue after issue. Biggest prob FAP filter. Rubbish car. Got rid and in a Honda, worlds apart . Learnt expensive lesson. Would never by Renault again.<br /><br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-08-07 | ID: 45892

David Wesemeyer, Lancashire

Renault Grand Scenic tom tom 105 2010

My 2010 car started giving false error messages from day one until today 1/5/2012; from brakes fault, doors open, switching from brake peddle to clutch peddel to start, not starting, not opening by remote, battery going flat, radio works, but satnav doesn’t or vise versa. Bury Renault have rebooted the cars computers 3 times and today they say it’s the car battery that’s the problem. The car as been returned to me with the electrics working like they’re on mogadon!

Submitted: 2012-05-09 | ID: 45894

Jeremy Woods, Cambridgeshire

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 DCi Dynamique 2005

Quite a clever design, but far too many problems together with poor build quality and too frequent trips to the garage. The electronics and gizmos are far too clever for their own good and were never going to last beyond the car’s first few years. I wouldn’t buy a Renault again as although they’re quite nice to drive, I will say that, they are not worth the bother.

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 45891

Gerry, Cheshire

Renault Grand Scenic 2005

I bought the car with 17k miles on it when it was 3 years old. In the first year I had it the wipers somtimes didn’t work and the windows sounded as if they were about to pack up, although they never have, but the nearside one is jerking now. In the second year the engine started to misfire so I replaced the igintion coils and it has been ok since then. In the third year the car needed all the discs replacing at 40k; I am not a heavy breaker and this is the first car in 30 years of driving that I have ever needed to replace discs. The Check emmission light came on so I had the cam sensor changed as this was the fault showing, but to no effect. The emmisions have been check several times and are ok, but the light still comes The car was also recalled at this time for a handbreak modification. Now in the forth year of ownership the VVT pulley started to rattle so I had it changed and the timing belt. The car at this time had got 50k on it. One week later the car failed its MoT as the parking brake seized in the off position and needs not only a new caliper but the whole electronic handbrake unit, which is very costly. This is the third Renault I have owned, the last one being the MK 1 Scenic from new and I had no issues with that car. Would I buy another Renault again? Never, never, never! When it’s fixed I am getting shut.

Submitted: 2012-01-30 | ID: 45890

Ian, Buckinghamshire

Renault Grand Scenic Dynamique 2004

Owned my Renault for 4.5 years now. The quality of the materials used inside and out aren’t great, the fact that unless your fingers are very thin, long and bend in 4 ways, you will have to get a dealer to change your light bulbs. Other than these minor facts I have been more than happy with my Scenic. The seats are very comfy, the ride is very smooth, the gearbox is a breeze, the 1.9dci engine is powefull enough, the MPG is not the best but ok, but best of all is the space and cubby holes inside, the kids love the fact that we can always get the toy’s, bikes etc. inside on days out. We also own a Mini cooper and MG ZT, but this car has had less problems and always is the first car we jump in on any trip of 4 miles. I guess mine has been lucky so far.

Submitted: 2011-09-20 | ID: 45889

John, Dorset

Renault Grand Scenic 2004

I’ll save you a fortune, don’t buy a Scenic however cheap cause it will cost you a fortune to keep repairing. Renault’s customer service are not interested and the dealers are not much help either. Buy a Nissan X-Trail, worth the extra money and very reliable. If I listed all the problems I’ve had, my iPhone would need charging at least five times. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-08-15 | ID: 45888

Vinnie Reilly, Northern Ireland

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 dci 2006

Bought our car in 2006 from new. The reason we went for Renault is for its safety reputation as we had three small children at the time. Basic advice "steer clear"! The most unreliable car you could imagine. No joke. I don’t know what mileage we have clocked up because we are on our second dash clock, but it’s about 110,000 miles. We are on our third turbo, the back windows won’t work, it’s just bill after bill. Do they still make Ladas? it would be a step up.

Submitted: 2011-06-29 | ID: 45886

Graham Taylor, England

Renault Grand Scenic 2004

Don’t buy a Renault Scenic, too many things go wrong and are expensive to repair; handbrake - £500, turbo - £400, egr valve - £200 and numerous engine mounts to name but a few. I have finally had enough and traded it in for a Kia Carens. Less things go wrong and there are no bad reviews.

Submitted: 2011-06-29 | ID: 45887

William Allen, County Tyrone

Renault Grand Scenic 1.6 petrol 2007

A comfortable vehicle. Just a pity it doesnt work!! 2 rear electric windows, digital dash and engine dephaser system and handbrake system reprogrammed!!! All within 4 months. when you go to the Renault dealer you may as well look for the crew of the Marie-celeste, ’cos they dont care. All they want to do is charge 225 quid for a window winder. 500 for the dash (found out on a forum you can get it for 100 fitted, They wont tell you!) 500 for dephaser kit. For goodness sake !!! I would be better off in a Lada!! Now the handbake is faulty and it’s 400 for a new sysem, which has to be bought as a complete unit. A hand brake fitted including vat is a whopping 650 pounds!! Is it made from gold?! Renault know there is a problem with their c**p electrical components, so why dont they fix them? Or better still, make them correctly in the first place!!!! At least Toyota took steps to repair their faults. Take note Renault, I will not buy another..I have owned Renaults for 15 years.

Just to update you all, the handbrake unit went kaputt. The Renault garage want £805.20p a new one. Does anyone out there have a second hand/reconditioned unit for sale? I wouldn’t mind if the Scenic had high mileage but it has only 40,000 miles and is well maintained. also the heater switch is playing around. If you are looking for a seven seater, go to the Corolla Verso or VW Touran, stay away from Scenics. Renaults are too fragile with no dealer or manufacturer support especially when they know there is all these faults and do nothing about it. Hey Renault, what about some goodwill from you for a change? Stop ripping us off! - William Allen from County Tyrone

I only wish I had read this before I bought a Grand Scenic, this has to be the worst made car ever. Mine has cost me thousands in repairs all I can say to anyone going to buy one is don’t save your money and get a good car - Brid Lynch from County Londonderry

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 45881

Owen Coogan, County Londonderry

Renault Grand Scenic 2007

Why is there no option for zero stars? Can’t believe the four star comments - could guarantee they are employees of Renault. I have been blaming the car dealer but the fact is the car is a disaster from start to finish. Just had the clutch done after numerous other faults and now it has failed MOT on parking brake leading to £600+ to fix. Rubbish car from rubbish company - can anyone give me a list of car review sites where I can bad mouth these cars? I’m going to make it my life’s work to tell the world how bad these cars are.<br /><br />

I know how you feel. All the Renault garage wants to do is rip you off. It’s time that Renault UK started to do something about the crap electronics and supported customers better - William Allen from County Tyrone

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 45884

Graham Taylor, Worcestershire

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9dci 2004

Had this car 2 years, problem after problem; boot wouldn’t shut and lock(electrical),steering lock wouldn’t come off (electrical), window regulater broke costing £160 from Renault and now the electronic handbrake is coming up as a fault on the dash costing £385 +vat from Renault. So if you’re thinking of having one be prepared. Can’t fault the engine (1.9dci), goes like stink, we pull a trailer with all the camping gear in it and a car full of kids and the missus and it never struggles. The interior is fantastic, soft, comfy seats, plenty of room under floor storage, cuby holes, sliding centre console, air con, cruise control, it’s got the lot. Economical; we can get 60 to the gallon on a run (and I don’t drive like a vicar). So all in all a great car, just be warned it might cost you your hard earned cash to keep it going.

Submitted: 2010-07-01 | ID: 45877

Jan, Kent

Renault Grand Scenic dynamic 2007

Have had this car for 3 years now. My husband has mobility problems and needed a comfortable ride car. This we have, he is able to get in and out of the front seat with ease at 6ft 3 and of large frame. The front seats are very soft and comfortable. We have a diesel engine 1.6 and have never had any problems with speed. This car pulls well. As for the middle seats that people have said are heavy to take out, I must say that I can take them out very easily and they are very easy to put back in unlike the seats in our C Max that we had before. Fuel economy is good on a long journey have been able to get 60mpg and average around 42/45. My only gripe, we love our music and the quality of the radio/cd player is terrible. The two back seats are only suitable for children but fold flat into the boot area easily.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-20 | ID: 45878

Linda, Dorset

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 DCi 2004

We have owned our Grand Scenic for the last three years. Initially we had a few teething problems (mainly squeaky brakes, red pull-handle fell off folded rear seat) but most were sorted out under warranty. In general the car is fine. My hubbie hates the ’plastic bucket’. I agree it doesn’t have the looks of some cars around but it gets me to work and back every day without fail. It took us to France this year for our summer holiday and we didn’t have a moments problem with it. My main grumbles with it are the cost of replacement parts, wipers cost £60 per pair!!! To get a headlight changed will set you back £70. Why does it all have to cost so much. Why can’t you just go to halfords, buy the parts then DIY?? With three kids and two large dogs, we need a large car. With the size, MPG and good safety features, we thought this was the best car for us. My hubbie wants a Volvo XC90 next.

Just checked the Halfords website and you can buy wiper blades and bulbs to fit the Renault Scenic (very easy to replace yourself). Renault dealers will try to rip you off. - from Kent

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 45879

James Baxter, Northumberland

Renault Grand Scenic Authentic 2005

To start with I owned a 1.4 mk 11 for 2 years (03) and put 34000 on the clock - very very little trouble with it. I liked the style until I saw the Grand Scenic. I don’t care much for the 5 seater Scenic with the sticky out rear end but the Grand seems to loose it! I’ve had my Grand for just one week, 1 owner, 19000 on the clock - it’s a 1.6 vvt authentic, 7 seats with a/c, I like the colour which is why I bought it (ottoman blue). The road handling is superb with true grip. I like it, the wife likes it and so do the kids. The only gripes I have so far is there are no speakers in the rear doors which I’ve now put in. Also the rear fog lights or should I say light. It seems that they (Renault) only wire up the offside and stick a bulb in the nearside holder, but given time I will get round to rectify it. Overall I like what I’ve got , give me a month or two to see if any thing has changed...

Submitted: 2008-11-12 | ID: 45899

Margaret Roberts, Ceredigion

Renault Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi 130 7st 2007

This car is extremely versatile, great for carrying the grandchildren to school. Very safe and robust.

Don’t buy one of these skips unless you are an auto electrician. 4.5 years old: electronic dash replaced, headlamps failed, query BCM, and heater only works on 3, other than this the 1.6 is painfully hard to drive, vastly under powered and Renault aren’t interested once the vehicle is out of warranty. Extremely disappointed, worse car I have had the misfortune to own - from England

Totally with Jim on this one. My engine wiring loom corroded beyond repair. I’m faced with a bill of ’at least £1400’ from a Renault dealer. Unacceptable for a car just under 6yrs old IMO - from Kent

Submitted: 2007-11-20 | ID: 45896

• A response has been made to William Allen (30/04/2011 09:03:53)
  • A response has been made to Owen Coogan (02/03/2011 15:36:19)

• "While driving the steering lock came on and a visual warning came up on the dashboard "Steering Fault". I had to do an emergency stop, as I had no co..." (alan, 28/07/2014 14:09:59)
  • "Hi there. Can anyone perhaps help relieve some stress. We have a Renault Grand Scenic and couldn't get booked in this week for its 36,000 mile servic..." (Metedith, 25/07/2014 21:30:14)
  • "Hi I have a1.9 grand scenic diesel 2006 my dashboard lights went off .Is there any advise as to what can the cause be of it , and where I can downlo..." (sadiek, 24/07/2014 18:24:33)
  • "Hi there, I have face a problem when driving up hill and normal road with unresponsive gas pedal. I need to press the gas pedal few times in order fo..." (Raymond, 20/07/2014 12:59:58)
  • "Hi hope someone can help me,I have a 57 plate automatic grand scenic 1.9dci,every now and again it will come on dashboard "check gearbox" and it goes..." (Simon, 07/07/2014 13:19:46)

• Martyn whitehead's question has been answered: "Around £300 to £500 at your local garage - brian from Clackmannanshire' '..." (18/07/2014 20:57:37)
  • Kevin's question has been answered: "mine was the same just pull the red cord real hard try gret some wd40 in the spring of the seat and keep moving it back and forward till it releases : - brian from Clackmannanshire' '..." (18/07/2014 20:52:16)

Renault Scenic