Peugeot 407 SW consumer car reviews and road tests

Peugeot 407 SW consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007 2010

Peugeot 407 SW consumer car reviews

David Ward, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

I purchased my 407 new in 2006. It’s been a load of rubbish, giving nothing but trouble. I’ll be going for a Mondeo next, but never a Peugeot again. I’ve had three with not a good one amongst them.

Submitted: 2013-01-01 | ID: 45367

Ian, Hampshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

Bought with 20000 on the clock. I’ve had to replace 3 abs sensors front discs and both front ball joints. The clutch has now started to slip and vibrate; looks like a new clutch and fly wheel. The sliding sun roof failed and the central lcd display is going. A nice car to look at and drive, but no where near as big inside and reliable as a 406. I’m now looking to change for a Passat or S-Max.

Sounds like you had a bad time Ian. It’s a shame you had so much trouble with yours, obviously a bad batch! - Ian Leighton from Kent

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 45368

Just, Denmark

Peugeot 407 SW 1.6 HDI 2010

This is the ninth Peugeot I have driven and is by far the best. The handling is on the money and the cruise control, navigation and bluetooth are all wonderful. A great motor.

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 45370

Richard Russell, Surrey

Peugeot 407 SW SW136 2006

Bought in 07 with 17k on the clock. The door strap and rust on the tailgate were repaired/resprayed under guarantee in 07 and 09. The tyre valve snapped in 07. It lasted well until 51k (2011 MOT) when the front brake pads and discs replaced along with rear pads. Front ball joints were also replaced at £316; they were found to be badly worn and probably dangerous. The PUG garage refused to replace them under guarantee. Now the ABS/ESP is playing up as many other owners have found. More expense. I have owned many PUGs over the years and this is easily the most temperamental, but I have found the car quite rewarding to drive with nice power curve and handling when the ball joints are OK! The average fuel consumption is 42mpg. The low front is a constant worry and with the larger tyres and the car is a bit cumbersome to park due to the wide turning circle. Boot space is disappointing and loading poor compared with 406, which I drove for 150k with little cost. Lots of rattles on buy roads and tyre noise in the rear seats when at speed on motorways. A case of style over practicality. The 508 looks like a return to sanity by PUG.

Since I wrote this, Pug refunded cost of front bearings. They have been very fair with me over the past few years - Richard Russell from Surrey

Submitted: 2011-11-19 | ID: 45371

Alan Vial, Cumberland

Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 HDI Executive 2005

Bought this car privately in March this year after having owning a 406 1.9TD SX for 12 years. I was a bit worried after reading all these negative reviews, but decided to take the plunge and suffer the consequences later because I just loved the look of the 407SW. I have to say even though it has all the extra electronics, colour sat-nav, electric seats etc, it has been absolutely fantastic. The only niggle I have is a bit of a rattley rear door, which I know I will sort out. I know the previous owner looked after the car with a meticulous service record and maybe that is the reason, but I have had none of the hassles in some of these reviews. The car is so smooth and the power curve is predictable and progressive throughout the rev range. Also it’s very comfortable with full leather oyster seats. A full service costs £198.00 and 215x55x17 tyres for £56 each (from Peugeot dealer). I had a tow bar fitted, but had to sort and wire a smart relay in myself and everything works perfect, I also fitted some Greyston spring assisters for towing and it is a fantastic tow car. I don’t normally do reviews, but just felt I must try and balance the record out a bit. So to summarise: smooth, powerful, economical, pulls like a train when towing. Maybe if you get a dodgy one, it can be bad, but get a good one and it’s fantastic. <br />

Hi Alan, I had exactly the same problem with the rattle on the back door. I found it was the glass top section of the boot which opens separately. The catch needed adjusting and it instantly stopped the rattle. Regards - Ian Leighton from Kent

I must also say how pleased I am with my 407sw 2.00 HDI Exec I bought myself in 2006 and still have. So far I have done 67000 miles and it’s never let me down yet. I have had a tyre pressure sensor go and two ESP sensors replaced but apart from that I am very pleased with the car and enjoy driving it. However, I do still have it serviced by Simon Bailes in Stockton and maybe that’s the reason it’s been so reliable. (I have no connection to my garage apart from taking my car there for service). - David Lee from Durham

Submitted: 2011-08-01 | ID: 45373

Graham Simpson, Kent

Peugeot 407 SW 1.6 diesel 2004

I have a 407sw 1.6 diesel on a 54 plate and without doubt it is the biggest pile of cack I have ever owned. Currently locked away in shame for having blown its turbo (I think.) All I know is it starts but it won’t rev and won’t move. 74,000 on the clock when I got it and 2,000 miles later and as much use as a ashtray on a motorbike. The turbo is a Garrett and costs bloody fortunes too. I have had dozens of warning lights about emissions and tyres and bulbs blowing almost weekly. Trust me It’s C**P, avoid it. Do as I did, when it went wrong I went out and bought a £400 Mitsubishi which has never let me down and is a damn sight cheaper than a new turbo.

Submitted: 2011-02-15 | ID: 45366

John, County Down

Peugeot 407 SW S HDI 1600cc 2005

I bought this car second hand recently, only one owner, small dealer known to be very reliable. A raft of electrical faults emerged, all of which he has agreed to have repaired; door-locking and alarm problems, interior lights, cooling fan comes on randomly after even a short journey, cigarette lighter failed, so no sat nav and charger use, LCD screen fades away after 45mins of driving. This last one seems expensive so dealer is wavering on replacement! Economical enough-50+mpg and accelerates quite well, but the electrical stuff leaves me waiting for something else to go wrong.

I had my 407Hdi (2005) for about a year. It’s a lovely car to drive but fault codes are constant. Wish I could afford to trade but so nice when all is going well - Tania Gooch from New Zealand

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 45364

Tony Hutch, Berkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 136hdi 2005

2005 407 SW Executive SW 136hdi, disappointing vehicle from start. Within the first few months the emission/depollution sensor failed. Next the ABS sensors started to fail repeatedly. Satnav screen failed at 40k. Started motor failed at 60k, Turbo failed at 80k and the flywheel failed at 85k. Having driven a Peugeot for almost 20 years the 407 is by far the most unreliable and expensive to maintain.

You are right on all accounts, the 407 is a shit car. It cost me lots of money and all - from Kent

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 45362

Jim Jackson, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2006

I had the 140bhp version diesel, and so it was a real mover even when loaded. This didn’t make any difference to the fuel consumption achieving around 600miles per tank. The handling wallowed a bit when cornering at speed but the suspension on the whole was pretty good. Unfortunately, I hammered it a bit and so had to replace the wishbone suspension, all disks and clutch (twice first one failed) Unfortunately the wheel hub disengaged from the suspension so it had to go that was at 110 thousand miles. A good tourer, comfortable an a nice bit of power.

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 45361

Mike Rignall, Gloucestershire

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

ABS sensors are a problem. My first failed in January, then the next in June , followed by another in August. It was then obvious that the fourth would go soon, but Peugeot, despite having their Platinum warranty said they would not replace it before failure, that would be maintenance! Needless to say, the final one failed en route to a new destination in Cornwall early September, and of course the sat nav failed at the same time. I was in a right mess, since my final location was not easy to find, yet the pre programmed satnav system knew exactly where to take me (if the wretched thing had worked) Thank you Peugeot for putting your profits way ahead of customer care. The 407SW is due to be replaced in 12 mths and a 3008 was on the possibles list. No longer!

Submitted: 2010-09-19 | ID: 45360

Roger Hewitt, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 1.6 hdi se 2006

Ok, I have had numerous cars from main dealers over my driving time, first a 206 1.4 8v, then 307 xsi hdi 136, then the 407 sw se 1.6 hdi then a 206 gti 180 and have just purchased an 09 reg 407 sw hdi sport 140. My first 407 (the 1.6 hdi) was a wonderfull car plenty of space in the car and boot, once had warning light for tyre and turned out to be a nail :( new tyre £94 fitted, sorted. Covered 12,000 miles and turbo’s clamp broke, courtesy car for two days and done under warrenty. Never had another problem. That’s why I just bought another :) Only downside is I felt the 1.6 hdi was pulling too much weight and fuel was about 35mpg round town and 45mpg-50mpg on a run. That was the reason for getting a 206 gti 180. plenty of power for less weight. Test drove my new 407 2.0 hdi sw sport. not a massive difference in performance but given the size its GREAT and oh to have comfort again. My partner has a 107 for shopping, also a GREAT car. Would I recommend the 407? DEFFINITELY but only with the 2.0 hdi or bigger.

Submitted: 2010-05-09 | ID: 45357

Gez G, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2004

I have had few regrets in my life but buying this vehicle by far, is the biggest!! I can only take a little comfort to see I am not alone!! (sorry), My beautiful head turning Pug, conceals a host of problems steming from depollution error codes to early clutch replacement. WARNING!!! Please turn away from the gaze of its beauty or you too will turn to stone!

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 45358

Glen Burnett, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

My girlfriend purchased a Peugeot 407 SW new in 2005. It has been a wonderful car and we have loved it, but for one small thing. We seem to blow headlight bulbs about every 6 - 12 months. In Australia, these are not a cheap item and due to their position and fittings, quiet difficult to replace. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and can shed some light on possible causes of the problem and especially how to fix it. I’m going broke keeping the headlights on!!!

Submitted: 2009-11-26 | ID: 45359

Graham Stamper, Nottinghamshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

My advice would be not to get one. The looks are fine and the space and ride comfort are good. The economy and performance of the engine are what you expect of a Peugeot diesel. So what’s the problem, it is very bad electronically, and constantly needs to go in to be reset. The garage I bought it from got sold and the new main dealer doesn’t fill me with any confidence. Services are fairly priced but as an example other repairs are expensive - clutch £1000, fuel pump £700 and sensors £200. Let me put it like this; my old Mercedes-Benz, with 120,000 miles was more reliable.

Submitted: 2009-06-15 | ID: 45391

James, England

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

I had the 406 and was over the moon with it, but I now find the 407 looks good and drives well BUT... Big car on the outside and small on the inside, not enough space in the boot to put my golf clubs and trolley. Not sure what the glass roof is meant to offer me?????. And very very low to the ground. I am sure I have more scratches under the car than an old banger racing car. The seats are not as good as the 406; a bit small and hard.

Submitted: 2009-05-01 | ID: 45390

Dave Bass, Derbyshire

Peugeot 407 SW 136 2.0 Zenith 2005

Had this car for 1 year used. Great drive and very comfortable. It is just spoilt by a few faults. I get the odd warning light come on for esp and indicator bulb faulty. Have to reset the ignition to clear. Also tyre pressure sensors are a pain have to keep tyres at about 34psi. But I think the main fault is it could do with a bit more power. I have always felt that it was probably powered by 136 French horses, you know the ones that constantly strike. I had a VW 130bhp previous and it would thrash the 407. I am therefore going to the doctor who claim the can re-map my car to 175bhp. Should cure that. All in all though no horror stories. Would buy another but probably the Coupe 407.

Just to note your tyre pressure sensor are just trying to do their job as minimum recommended pressure for a 407SW is 38psi! - Jon Chad from England

Submitted: 2009-04-27 | ID: 45388

Tony Burrough, Cumberland

Peugeot 407 SW 136sw se with sat nav 2007

Brilliant car; bought new; great discount; dealer excellent. I bought the car to run as a taxi and so far have had 40,000 trouble free miles, 18,000 on front tyres, amazing. An average of 55 miles to the gallon around town, 60 on motorway. Only wish it had bigger brakes because it’s a bit quick. I will definitely have another - Viva La France :)

This is rubbish 55mpg - ooooooooooh - 60mpg do you think we are all as silly in the head as you. These 407s are the biggest pile of rubbish that Peugeot have ever made... well, patched together. I have owned 205 /2x 306 /5x 405 as taxis/ 5 x 406 as taxis and still running them. Now here is the 407 SW: have two, both have had clutches done, both have abs/esp/speed control problems. 406 are fantastic cars, 1 has 273000 on the clock... 03 plate, the other is 198000 on it 04... These 406s cover 80000 miles on a clutch not 30000 like the 407s. The 2 407s only give 42mpg town, 49mpg on a run. The 406s will give me 47mpg town, 54 mpg on a run and never had electrical problems. 407s ARE RUBBISH - Pet Buck from England

Good car, 68.8mpg over 200 mile journeys using cruise control and common sense - Derek Kelly from Lancashire

I am a loud mouthed tw*t - Derek Kelly from England

Submitted: 2009-02-19 | ID: 45384

Alan Varnham, Gwynedd

Peugeot 407 SW Exectutive 136hdi 2005

Disappointing vehicle from start. £24,000 for Executive SW 136hdi , top of range >>>>> That`s where it ends. 800 miles and `STOP` break failure sign appeared. Took to dealers > reset computer and modified brake pads fitted. ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD ? 6 months passed and then emission/depollution control warning light appears > dealer did not have one in stock so cannibalised car in showroom. `Clonk` on front suspension > modified mounting washers fitted. One year on ABS / ESP light on , no sat /nav working. > reset computer, new ABS unit to o/s/f. Year 2 , ABS / ESP light on again so another 60 mile journey to dealers > reset computer , new ABS to n/s/f. Reversing warning system constant `bleep` when in reverse especially when wet > cleaned out units. Every time car is washed - - same trouble. Later year 2 the ABS / ESP light on again and no sat/nav > 60 mile to dealers, reset computer and new o/s/r ABS unit. Year 3 reversing aids again `constant bleep` and sometimes not working. 3 weeks BEFORE warranty expired ABS /ESP light on again, another trip to dealers > cleared fault, reset computer. 2 weeks AFTER warranty expired ABS / ESP light on again , another 60 mile trip. This time told that it needed a new ABS unit to n/s/r and that would be approximately £130. Having argued that the fault had been reported before the expiry date was told that they would have to speak to Peugeot and would get back to me. That was 10 months ago and despite phone calls to them still no phone call received to confirm acceptance from Peugeot of payment for repairs. Needless to say I have not bought another new vehicle from them and to date am still driving with the warning light still constantly on. Have driven to Ukraine and back and with several emergency stops in the past few months. Breaks seem perfectly OK with no `ill` effects. I now know that the ABS units suffer from getting dirty so a good blast of air could do wonders. Oh! and suspension still `clonks`. Good looking car but so many niggling faults. DEALERS ? This car must be their flagship for extracting money for warranty work or vulnerable customers with no mechanical or computing knowledge. It`s a pity that the PLUS`s don`t weigh more than the `MINUS`s. Having been in the motor trade and worked on Peugeot’s since 1967 it is somewhat disappointing that today`s models have so many common faults which apparently have not been overcome despite the many submitted reports. Would I buy another one????

As an update to what I have previously written. After 43,000 miles, it has seized up. The reason? Turbo blown and syphoned engine oil from sump to air intake. It’s a nightmare to get access to turbo, damn nigh impossible. It appears I’m not the only one with this trouble. Peugeot 407, don`t buy one - Alan Varnham from Gwynedd

Submitted: 2008-11-10 | ID: 45376

Paul Blitz, Hampshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2005

As others have said, a great car to drive:. I have a 40 mile journey to work along dual carriageway / motorway, and the car is a pleasure to drive. BUT it is marred by having had several faults (all covered by warranty, but still a PITA)... worst one, luckily only doing 5mph, the brake servo stopped... turned out to be a brake fluid leak into the servo. Also, not over-impressed with the level of customer support given by my garage... but that is probably no different from any other garage! With my constant high-speed driving, still get 44mpg in the 1.6HDi, which is nice... and can easily get over 50mpg if I go more gently!

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 45378

Clive Langman, Yorkshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2007

Performance reports are generally fine... but beware.... in the first 6 months I’ve scraped the overhanging bonnet to bits and I’ve now smashed the fuel pipe and air coolant supply. What on? Speed bumps, drives, kerbs... in fact anything that sticks up slightly from the flat. It’s so low slung it hits everything.

Submitted: 2008-09-03 | ID: 45381

Malcolm Pearson, Worcestershire

Peugeot 407 SW SW 136bhp Sport pack 2005

Bought used from dealer. A really nice car potentially spoiled by niggly faults. Carries five adults with luggage in comfort and is smooth and fast on the motorway. Very good steering and fairly good handling on A and B roads. Good acceleration when needed. Braking is also very very good. Smooth and refined inside with climate control audio system and trip computing all helpful. fairly economical, can do over 50 mph on a long slowish run. Even at high motorway way speeds delivers over 40mpg. Achilles heel seems to be low level niggles - warning lights for lights alert when all is ok. Reverse is great but again false warnings. Front ball joints wore at 30,000 but extended warranty took care. Roof failed and needed re sticking but warranty again came to rescue. Particulate filter needed unblocking. You wonder what will go wrong next which takes away from the other excellent aspects of this classy looking, safe, fast, versatile car.

Do you know how to reset the bulb failure lights please as mine is doing the same? - Mark Gallacher from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-08-26 | ID: 45379

Chris, Berkshire

Peugeot 407 SW SE 2005

When I first bought the car I thought it was fantastic. Everyone commented on the great shape of it, almost hiding the fact that it was an estate. Boot space was not great but enough for the family. However, things went downhill from there with the car’s reliability. First off, there was a depollution system fault and the cruise control failed. Both fixed under warranty. Then the end of one of the tyre valves snapped off, obviously requiring Pug to fix it due to the pressure sensor. Then one of the tyres developed a bulge, and when the car went in for its service (at a Pug main dealer) they didn’t have any replacement tyres and so left it on the forecourt for me to replace it with a spare! Then another tyre value end snapped off. Then the front suspension failed, but to replace that they had to replace the ABS sensors which were out of stock at the factory for about six weeks, so the car was off the road for this time. So far, however, all fixed under warranty. Then at 48,000 miles the clutch suddenly failed - it went from working perfectly to fully burnt out over the course of about a mile. This time Pug said that it was probably just wear and tear - despite being well under the normal wear for a clutch and driven mostly on motorways - and so they refused to pay for the replacement. Cost £1k to replace the clutch kit. Then there was a split in the CV boot which cost another £200 to fix, again not under warranty. Finally the electric sun blind failed, and when I took it in just before the warranty expired they said that they needed to get someone else to have a look at it a week later. When I took it back, they tried to claim that the warranty had expired. All in all, a great looking car and I may have been unlucky, but the reliability of mine was appalling and the after sales service from Pug was similarly poor. I am now looking to buy a Mondeo Estate as it is winning loads of awards.

Submitted: 2008-03-13 | ID: 45383

Tim Kelly, Bedfordshire

Peugeot 407 SW 2.0 HDi 136 GT 5dr 2006

Very nice to drive, I do on average 30,000 miles pa so I wanted something comfortable and the 407 SW is definately that. Good family car too. If I could change one thing it would be the long nose which has proved tricky once or twice with steep ramps but all in all a good car.

Submitted: 2007-11-27 | ID: 45382

• A response has been made to Ian (15/09/2012 20:52:38)
  • A response has been made to Richard Russell (19/11/2011 14:38:45)

• "Could anybody please tell me the correct ref for power steering fluid for Peugeot 407 SW sport 2.2 ltr? Regards. ..." (Dennis Mitchell, 07/04/2014 11:09:53)
  • "I`ve just had the temp/radio LCD display unit changed on my Peugeot 407 SW at main dealer (£265!) and now I have lost the Bluetooth connection. It is..." (Martin Pallister, 03/04/2014 11:35:17)
  • "Hi there. I have a Peugeot 407 SW estate diesel. It continuously has warning lights beeping on it, bulbs faulty, esp light, tells me I have a punctur..." (Leigh Davis, 03/04/2014 10:02:20)
  • "I’m having trouble with my Peugeot 407 SW`s charging system so I’m having to disconnect the battery overnight, but now all of the doors and fuel lid ..." (Thomas Parkinson, 31/03/2014 15:13:53)
  • "I have a Peugeot 407 SW diesel engine 2005. The starter was changed about 6 months ago, it had just worn out, but I had no trouble whatsoever with st..." (Kevin Phillips, 21/03/2014 10:03:04)

• Peter's question has been answered: "Hi I put the above post on a different website to describe how to replace a broken door mirror on s Peugeot 407 SW ..the information is not to give gu - Alan Glister from Norfolk' '..." (12/12/2014 22:48:23)
  • Keith Evans's question has been answered: "Keith, sometimes it`s difficult to understand. Today the whole car is electronically controlled and it`s very, very difficult and even the agent will - Paul from Malaysia' '..." (30/08/2014 10:07:39)

Peugeot 407 SW

Sport 2.2 HDi - The Peugeot 407 SW is one of the best looking estates on the road - with its angled rear and short overhang it has certainly left the boxy estate looking dated. But is it style with no substance? For the average 4.2 family the 407 SW should have what it takes as long as you don’t have any six footer [...]

An image of the Peugeot 407 SW Sport 2.2 HDi