Peugeot 206 consumer car reviews and road tests

Peugeot 206 consumer reviews by year of make:1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2006 2007 2008 2010 2011

Peugeot 206 consumer car reviews

William Hankin, Essex

Peugeot 206 1.4 hdi sw 2010

If you leave the engine running when you put fuel in, the fuel gauge wont register any increase, even if you turn off and restart. If your door check needs replacing the front is smaller than the rear as ordering 2 front I found out the hard way.

You should NEVER leave your engine running whilst you put fuel in. Every garage you pull in to to re-fuel has signs telling you to TURN OFF ENGINE before you re-fuel. Sorry don't understand comments about 'door checks needing re-placing'. Enlighten us! Steve (possibly looking for a previous user 206 CC here in Cyprus) - from Cyprus

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 44681

Steven Bulmer, Northumberland

Peugeot 206 2001 1.1 LX 2001

Owned this 2001 1.1 LX 206 now for 5 years, I bought it on 66,000 miles from a dealer for £850. I haven’t looked back since. I’ve now managed to rack up to 117,000 miles and haven’t received any problems with the car expect for a few brake pads and tyres. The engine still keeps ticking and the car had never failed an mot. Great little runner, cheap insurance, cheap tax and cheap to fill up. I get 45mpg on average, the car handles smoothly and apart from a bit of a awkward driving position (only really apparent on long journeys) there’s nothing wrong with it. I intend to keep this car until it dies, I love it.

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 44686

George Hencken, England

Peugeot 206 GLX Auto 2002

As a city dweller I went for the automatic gearbox when I bought my 206 GLX 4 years ago from it’s previous ’one old lady owner’. The car only had 20,000 on the clock, it’s just reached 45,000 and the automatic gearbox has failed. Apparently this is not rare on these cars, but it’s not something I see mentioned in these reviews. I’m gutted, and not a little irritated, especially as it’s cost me upwards of £500 to get through it’s MOT the last couple of years, despite being regularly serviced. It’s also had very annoying electrical issues. The two stars are for the fact that it was fun to drive and looked cute. I won’t EVER buy a Peugeot again.

Submitted: 2012-12-26 | ID: 44687

D Jones, Isle of Anglesey

Peugeot 206 1.4 petrol 2003

Had this Peugeot 206 1.4 petrol from new (2003) and it’s been an excellent car over it’s 155K miles. The only major surgery needed was changing the cylinder head gasket on 150K. Being a DIY mechanic I found the car easy to self maintain and fix on most jobs. I did change clutch at 120K, but this was my own fault as I tried to pull a static caravan with the Pug :(. Had LPG fitted ages ago and it delivers 72 mpg on last calculation. The people side of Peugeot have been disappointing. Rude and pushy at times. This is the third Peugeot I have owned together with two Citroens covering roughly 350,000 miles in total. The only thing that ever went ’pop’ were cylinder heads x2, but the mileage was high on both cars. Wish my driving was as good as the cars reliability. Parts are cheap off eBay. I use my cars always to tow trailers without any issue.

Submitted: 2012-09-08 | ID: 44689

Mohinder Sidhu, England

Peugeot 206 1.1 look 2002

I have owned my Peugeot for 10 years from new and have never had any real problems apart from replacing wear and tear items such as brakes, cambelt, clutch and a few bulbs. A good runner that has never let me down, an excellent car. I have only had to ask the AA to come out once in the whole 10 Years, which was my fault as I left the lights on and ran the battery down. The AA told me that I had an excellent battery in my car. I’ve still got the car. I wanted to swap it for a new Peugeot 207, but reviews have been bad due to electrical faults on these cars. I don’t know what to do yet. I can’t fault the Peugeot 206 though, so I may just buy a new Peugeot 206 at the end, again.

Submitted: 2012-05-02 | ID: 44688

Kate, County Antrim

Peugeot 206 1.4 8v 75 LX A/C 2002

I bought this car as an ex-demo from Charles Hurst with only 6000 Miles on it. Today I have 109,000 miles on the clock. Overall this wee car has done the job perfectly, never let me down, well, once, the battery needed replacing, but apart from that it has been grand. I service it every 12000 miles at a local mechanic and it just keeps going without a problem. A few wear and tear parts have been changed such as a bottom pulley and 2 shock absorbers. For a small car it’s pretty well equipped; electric windows/mirrors, CD player, air con, auto wipers etc. Running costs aren’t too bad, 48 Mpg according to the trip computer, the engine is fairly nippy and loves to rev. I can safely say to anyone thinking of a 206, they are a great wee buy as long as they have been well maintained and taken care of! My husband bought a 2004 1.4 HDi, which he hasn’t a bad word to say about, though it’s only got 70000 miles on it! :-)

Submitted: 2012-03-02 | ID: 44683

K C, Devon

Peugeot 206 5 Door 2003

One of the worst cars I have ever purchased. A waste of £3,500. I bought it with 42,000K in Oct 2009. It now has 68,000K now so it has low mileage for a 9 year old. Yet in that time I have spent at least £3,000 on major problems like head gasket, timing belt (should have been changed at 80,000, but went before I got to 55,000 miles), anti-roll bars and pins, radiator, rear axle passenger side bush and now the driver’s side is going too. It looks good and is nippy, but be warned it’s thirsty, even for a 1.4, and I have noticed the insurance seems to be higher than most cars, and I have been driving for 25yrs with 8yrs no claims or convictions. Stay away from these cars.

Well said mate, I couldn't agree with you more. These cars are rubbish and should not be allowed out of France. I bought the 1.4SW and after 5 mins of buying this pile of junk from the garage it had major problems. I managed to get it back to the garage in limp mode to be told it had a hole in the exhaust, but that doesn't make the bottom half of an engine shake or misfire. Three weeks later I noticed it was using 4 expansion tanks of water a day and once again took it back as I had a week`s warranty left and told them the head gasket was away. Problem after problem with it and now the wiper just stopped working. - scott campbell from Falkirk

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 44682

Mark White, England

Peugeot 206 diesel HDI 2ltr 2002

I love my Pug: I’m the second owner on a 52 plate. The car has passed every mot first time and has never let me down once !!! I cannot find a fault with this car. I have the diesel HDI 2ltr,which is a powerful, tought little car and the best car I’ve ever had!

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 44684

Patrick Linden, Conwy

Peugeot 206 1.4 Look 2007

I love my little 5 door Hatch. It has lots of spec, is great on the road and quick for a 1.4. No mechanical problems at all. It seems to have its critics, but if you are thinking of buying the 206 it is a great buy and way better than the 207. Take one for a test drive then you will see how good it is, but avoid the base model, the 1.4 Look is a cracking choice!!

Submitted: 2011-09-05 | ID: 44685

Ehsan, Iran

Peugeot 206 1.6 16v 2011

I bought a new 1.6 litre 16v Peugeot. I like this car because of its low price and high performance. I have had no problems with this car.

Submitted: 2011-07-03 | ID: 44680

Terry Dixon, Lincolnshire

Peugeot 206 206 2003

Having just bought the car 2 weeks ago the first thing to go wrong was the fuel reading, I filled the tank to the top and I could see the fuel in the filler cap hole but the gauge stayed on 3/4 full, it never moved. The second problem I have now is with the drop arm anti roll bar linked to the n/s/f lower ball joint is knocking so I have just ordered 2 to do both sides the car has only done 54 k from new. My only niggle is the road noise after 30 mph is too bad to hear the radio and the faster you go the worse it gets, it’s as if the wheel bearing have all gone but they are ok. My other niggle is my size 11 feet with my left foot on the clutch, it hits the steering wheel rod as it goes through the floor to the rack, I hit my toe on it every time. All in all very good on fuel for a 13.60 engine and very powerful, the car goes round corners as if you’re on a go cart track, very smooth. The other problem is the rear seats, you have to take the lower rear seats out to get the rear back seat down to make it flat then you have know where to put the lower seats, poor build no thought gone in to this at all. A big come down from my Mondeo 1.8 verona; better on fuel, but more on insurance. For a smaller car that’s no good at all. I think that’s enough for now, phew!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 44675

Si Murphy, Sussex

Peugeot 206 206 1.1 lx 2001

Bought in 2003 with 11,000 on the clock. Now nearly 10 years old with almost 70,000 miles covered. Hardly been looked after, serviced maybe every 18 months and has never let me down yet ...touch wood. Only repairs have been consumables, 2 exhausts, maybe 8 tyres and front and rear brake pads. Been a great car, but due to work am buying a diesel estate, however 206 will be staying in the family, just too good to let go. Only criticisms would be; driving position isn’t that comfortable on long journeys (mind I am 6ft) and as someone else said....watch those swinging doors!

Submitted: 2011-03-05 | ID: 44676

Bob Jones, Wales

Peugeot 206 2000

Had this car from new, done 100,000 and only had disks and pads changed. Oil and filter every 10,000. Not a day’s trouble.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-08 | ID: 44677

Geraldine Carrigan, Ireland

Peugeot 206 2002

Had from new. Love it. Good on fuel, cheap to maintain. Have done over 100,000 miles. Would recommend to all.

Submitted: 2010-08-22 | ID: 44679

Laura Iredale, Gloucestershire

Peugeot 206 1999

I bought this car 4 months ago and was really happy with my purchase as it looked smart and was very tidy, until one month later... The head gasket went which luckly it was still under waranty with the garage; occasionaly it would break down. Then last week for no reason the engine burst into flames, writing off the car :(. The head gasket has also gone on two of my friend’s cars so we have all decided to keep well clear of them from now on!!!

Submitted: 2010-07-16 | ID: 44678

KC, Devon

Peugeot 206 5 door hatch back 2006

I bought my low milage 206 in oct of 2009, must admit the best car that I have ever had. It’s very nippy, for a 1.4lx, but the downside is its thirsty on petrol, even though I drive sensibly. Comfort on the motorway as I do drive up north every 5 - 6 weeks. Another problem seems to be that oil deposits are found under the engine, and nothing seems to be leaking, no oil or gearbox oil, etc. I guess the newer models have much improvement?

Check that the sump is not porous - that was what was up with my sons 2001 206. Replaced the sump and it was fine - John McGlone from Lanarkshire

I am looking at buying a 2006/206; 70km on dial, loaded. When you say the car is thirsty on mileage, what exactly is the mileage you get? From what I have been able to find online, the 1.4 l engine gets around 45 mpg. or 12 km/l. Thanks for responding - Steve Benak from Brazil

Submitted: 2010-04-22 | ID: 44667

Naji Pooh Poohee, England

Peugeot 206 2003

I got this car and my dreams came true. I love this car so much but it is a shame that it isn’t a female otherwise I would get married to it. That’s all. thanks for reading.

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 44670

Reece Hutchinson, County Londonderry

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi 70 LX 2003

Hi, I bought my 206 1.4 HDi LX in late 2003 brand new and its has been fabulous to own, Excellent reliability and fantastic fuel economy. Plus the £35 per year tax is a huge bonus. I have over 130000 Miles on it and all I have had to do is change the T/Belt and service it regulary. One suggestion I would make is that if you hear a knocking noise from the area around the wheels it a drop link arm, they are cheap (£7) and easy to fix. The main cause is speed ramps, I hav 8 ramps to drive over to get to my housing development, just think how many times the car has been over them (Roughly 4 times a day) and the front one started to rattle recently, they have lasted nearly 7 years!! This is a great car for first time drivers and anybody who is thinking of changing their bigger cars for something smaller or newer. I’m not planning on changing anytime soon, i’ll drive the car into the ground before I get rid!! Will definately be buying the 207 in the near future

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 44671

Sarah Whittington, England

Peugeot 206 2007

Cheap comfortable little runaround, ideal for students, cheap on petrol, smooth drive, safe!

Submitted: 2010-02-21 | ID: 44673

Emma Wolski, Sussex

Peugeot 206 2002

Been good to me for 7 years!! Not much work has had to be done but my top tips include: Careful when windy as the doors swing wide open! (I had to have a new door!). Also I accidently left my window open and the inside froze, I now have a problem with steaming up and cannot dry the car out, lol!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-19 | ID: 44672

Kathy Cakebread, Kent

Peugeot 206 1998

I bought the Peugeot 206 ’98 edition from a car sales room in November last year. It looked really nice and I didn’t think it was as old as it is just by looking at it, showing how lovely and cared for it had been! The car had done a lot of miles but according to its service history had had its cambelt done at 100,000 miles so it didn’t seem a problem. The car is a 1.6 sport edition so is quite a speedy little number and picks up speed reasonably quickly. There is one issue with it regarding it failing to start at all sometimes, but that’s nothing a slamming of the door can’t solve. Bit of a nuisance really but it’s not so bad the car won’t start at all.. or eventually. The Peugeots are known to fall apart eventually but this car is 12 years old and nothings fallen off yet! Although the inside door panelling on the left seems to be a little loose and it looks like the pegs have popped out. The seats are comfortable and easy to adjust and the heater works really well, perfect for them cold, nippy days! It also has a sunroof, which I’ve not had the chance to test out yet, obviously, I’ve accidentally pressed the button a few times however and it hasn’t done anything so not really sure if it works. All in all not bad for a starter car, although it can be a killer on petrol!

Submitted: 2010-02-16 | ID: 44674

Keith, Lancashire

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi 70 Look 2004

This car is bomb proof, I’ve covered over 150000 miles and she goes like the day I got her. I can safely recommend these to first time buyers because it’s cheap to run (Group 4 ins, £35 tax) and it hardly uses any diesel. Fantastic little car.

Submitted: 2010-01-24 | ID: 44666

Paul, Northamptonshire

Peugeot 206 2008

Bought mine; a 206 hdi diesel in October 2008, so far not had a problem engine wise but it’s very noisy on the road surface and the brakes sound like a traction engine when you slow down using them. The garage say it’s the hard type of pad, since they got rid of asbestos which you can longer buy. Also the suspension creaks getting in and out of the car. Sadly I’m stuck with the car which I have another 4 years to pay off and the garage I got it from second hand went bust in February. I can’t say I will ever buy a Peugeot again; today I found that the water bottle has a split in it... enough said.

Submitted: 2009-09-21 | ID: 44665

Sam, England

Peugeot 206 Look 2004

I foolishly purchased this car based on looks alone in 2006. Within six months the car had fell to bits, the car would cut out and die on me far too often, then the gear stick would not go into reverse so I went into the garage to be fixed and when I got it back the stick came out in my hand! The back window leaked, when that was fixed they scratched the boot. When I had the car back all the badges fell off the boot. This was the final straw for me so I got rid of the 206 & got a C2 (which was a heap of crap) now have a Grande Punto & much much happier :)

Ha,ha, prepare to experience a bad car! A neighbour used to have a Grande Punto Sporting and it was an awful car. It was in the dealers more then on his drive way! I recommended to him a 207 like my own and he’s never looked back - from Northern Ireland

Sounds like it was your garage that let you down...not the car - from England

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 44662

Paul Robert, England

Peugeot 206 gti 2002

I can’t fault my 206. On interior and styling it is immaculate for its age and has only done 57k miles from new. However road noise is so loud on motorways and it knocks and bangs really bad on rough road surfaces that makes the drive uncomfortable. Had it in the garage and they say there is nothing wrong with it???

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 44693

Marilyn Francis, Kent

Peugeot 206 2002

I am having problems buying a child car seat for my car (granddaughter 14 months old) which one is the correct one for my car...

Hello, did you find what was the best seat for your granddaughter? I am looking for a seat to fit mine and unsure of what one to get - Joanne Silk-Smith from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-02-26 | ID: 44691

Adam Hamilton-Paulley, Oxfordshire

Peugeot 206 GTI 2001

Hi there guys, can you please tell me why you have not got the Peugeot 206 GTI in your road tests???? I have one, its a 2001 and it would be nice to see a road test on it.

Submitted: 2009-02-10 | ID: 44690

Liz Stewart, East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDI 2003

I adore my 206 - wouldn’t replace it for the world - £35 a YEAR for the tax, sailed through its MOT, and for a small car it’s really nippy and so pretty - fuel economy is amazing - even compared to the 1.3 fiesta I gave up for it. Love it, highly recommended!

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 44696

Daniel Pickering, Lancashire

Peugeot 206 glx 90 hdi 2.0 2001

I have just got a 206 after previously driving a Zafira. The reason for getting the 206 was the fuel economy which is really fantastic, ten pounds worth of diesel has taken me to places that would have cost twenty five, thirty quid in the other car. My main worry with having a young family was space but yet again; pleasantly surprised, two child seats in the back; no worries and there is room for a child in between them. The drive is excellent and, more importantly, fun. Great extras i.e cd multichanger and climate control. Cannot recommend highly enough get one!

Submitted: 2008-05-27 | ID: 44694

S Frost, Suffolk

Peugeot 206 Roland Garros 1999

I used to be loyal to Ford, but not since I got my Peugeot 206 Roland Garros in 2001 for £6k. I have it serviced regularly, and it's nippy, reliable and still going strong. I've had a few small parts replaced that have worn out. It's done just over 90,000 miles and I do around 10,000 miles a year, including driving on dual carriageways to get to work and back. The climate controlled aircon works a treat, the petrol consumption is around 40 - 50mpg. It corners better than the Ford Puma, and unlike Ford, extras (like aluminum wheels, aircon, 6 x CD stack in the boot with the control at your fingertips on a stalk by the steering wheel) came included in the price (and it was still cheaper than the Puma). DOWNSIDES: 1) I hate the intermittent automatic windscreen wipe that seems not to turn on when you need it, and go bonkers when you don't need it. Ford's intermittent wiper control was much better. 2) I am averagely tall (5 ft 8 inches) and when the sun visor is down, visibility is severely restricted. 3) There is no windscreen demister (like you have on the rear windscreens on most cars) - you have to rely on the blower. 4) It has occasional phases where it kangaroos for seemingly no reason at all.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 44695

Jenny Charlton, Sussex

Peugeot 206 2001

We bought this car for our 19 year old who was desperate to own a Peugeot 206 (we couldn’t afford the huge extra cost of the new shaped mini which is what he would have preferred! This car has taken a real beating, it has been hammered over road humps, parked in places you wouldn’t want to leave a more valuable car and generally done pretty well considering its main driver is now a hefty 18 stones and 6.4 inches tall; not quite the size the car was designed for. It was walloped in the back when we’d juts got it, and the car stood up amazingly well compared to the BMW that drove into the back of it. This confirmed our opinion that although it was cheaper to kit out an 18 year old with a banger, buying a newer car with good safety features was well worth the money. Our family cars are a top of the range SAAB and top of the range Jaguar but to be honest, leaving aside the mess ( which is nothing to do with the manufacturer, I enjoy driving the 206 just as much as the other two and compared to them the fuel economy is excellent. Its now done over 40,000 (it had 10,000 when we bought it) and in that time the only major thing that has needed adjusted was the steering propellers and double replacement of all four tyres ... but we believe that’s largely down to the fact our son was living in a road with vicious speed humps. So this car has been driven pretty hard and stood up well.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 44699

Jamie Spencer, Cheshire

Peugeot 206 2.0 HDI D Turbo 2007

If you are going to get a 206 in diesel form then it has to be the Hdi turbo diesel!! It’s great to drive, swift and economical and whilst you may think you have saved money by buying or leasing the standard non-turbo 1.9D life is just too short to be honest.

Submitted: 2007-09-18 | ID: 44697

Ian Burt, Essex

Peugeot 206 1.9D LX 3dr 2007

I’ve had my 206 since October last year and I’ve really enjoyed driving it, but I’m not sure when the time comes that I’d buy another. My main gripe is the noise it produces when going in excess of 60mph – very loud! Other than that it is a good car and I can’t fault its reliability.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 44698

• A response has been made to K C (14/06/2014 21:38:57)
  • A response has been made to William Hankin (20/05/2014 20:44:58)

• John's question has been answered: "Hi John. I had a very similar problem. I replaced the 'Sagem coil' pack with another second hand one (cheaper) and have not had a problem since. Hope - Danny from New Zealand' '..." (12/10/2014 09:04:21)
  • lambert's question has been answered: "Same issue with the noise on the left hand side, realised the headlight bulb was gone, not sure if it's related. - Ben Justice from Aberdeenshire' '..." (07/10/2014 23:43:29)

Toyota Aygo