Nissan X-Trail consumer car reviews and road tests

Nissan X-Trail

Nissan X-Trail consumer reviews by year of make:1992 1994 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011

Nissan X-Trail consumer car reviews

butichi khamisi, Kenya

Nissan X-Trail 2001 - 2007

I bought this car - X-Trai Axis - and since then it has been losing power and currently the vehicle is so unstable on the road, losing control. Any ideas?

Submitted: 2014-06-30 | ID: 98719

derek, Cumbria

Nissan X-Trail 2001 - 2007

I used to have a Landrover Discovery (old design) and gave up on it after putting the third engine in. Twice the engine basically blew up on the M6. Also various other annoying things went wrong in between engine problems . Then I bought my XTrail 2006 demo car . Wow. Fast and comfortable on road or field. The car has never let me down in 110,000 miles. Could be a bit more frugal, but so pleased with it that I'll replace soon with another XTrail .

Submitted: 2014-06-06 | ID: 97052

Samuel, Nigeria

Nissan X-Trail 2003 - 2005

The x-trail do hard starting. when scanned it showed crankshaft position sensor and it has been replaced yet it continues

Submitted: 2014-05-07 | ID: 95205

Elaine Larkin, Ireland

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 cdi 2004

I have had nothing but problems with this tin can since buying second hand. Both the driver’s and passenger’s door handles have broken, there has been a diesel leak, bearings went on both sides in the front, it is rusting in areas especially underneath and I am just so disappointed having driven a Nissan Patrol for many years, which was just fabulous. Had to downsize and really thought the X-Trail would be a smaller version of the Patrol. It is just one thing after another at this stage and I dread getting into it every day!! The brakes seize up quite a lot and I’m starting to think I bought a death trap. At my wits end.

Submitted: 2013-06-08 | ID: 44476

Richard Barker, Northamptonshire

Nissan X-Trail Sport 2005

I have had my X-Trail for nearly 6 years and it has now done 106000k. No problems to mention apart from replacement intercooler under warranty in 2007 until last week when I needed a new turbo and intercooler. The Nissan dealer quoted me £3400, but a local reputable garage did the work for £1800. Unfortunately I now have an oil leak and hopefully this will be sorted on a return trip to the garage. Am thinking of changing and am tempted to have the same again as I love the car, but turbo failure has made me think twice, but I can’t think of an alternative motor.

Submitted: 2013-05-05 | ID: 44474

Joanna Hope, Essex

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 TD Sport 2001

I have owned this car for 4 years, it had 70k on the clock when I bought it and it now has 123k. This car has been absolutely fantastic. The only time the car has ever let me down was when the accelerator sensor needed replacing, which I understand is a common fault. Unfortunately, they make an 8 pin and a 10 pin sensor, the 10 pin being rare and only on my model. 8 pin sensors easy to find, however, couldn’t find a 10 pin anywhere so bit the bullet and went main dealer, which cost me £500. Been fine ever since. I totally admit, I am useless with servicing, it’s only just had its 2nd service since I owned it. It’s been used on some major journeys with no problems. It pulls a 1.1ton trailer with 1 tonne of horses in the back with no problem. It gets used over some VERY uneven surfaces with MAJOR pot holes and handles them well. Fantastic car. Am looking at selling mine now and buying another newer one with some more of the mods inside :)

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 44475

Colin Church, Dorset

Nissan X-Trail 2003

I bought this car from the local dealer. It was the sport version and I loved it. I had no problems with it for three years until a driver hit me up the rear at 70mph while I was stationary - I can tell you it damn well hurt! At the time all the muscles in my back locked up and effectively paralysed me and I thought that was it. The fire service had to cut me out and at the hospital I was told that if I was in most other cars and that had happened I would not be here now, so thank you X-Trail for saving my life.

Submitted: 2013-04-07 | ID: 44473

Paul Amond, Spain

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 DCI 2004

We moved to Andalucia/Spain in 2004, and the terrain required a 4x4. We chose this car against a Rav4 and Freelander because it came out on top in a 4 page Autocar review. The first 6 years we experienced no problems at all, enjoying the comfort on long motorway journeys, and the off road capability towing a 1 ton trailer full of logs or building materials. At approx. 140,000Kms the air intake sensor packed up, the symptoms being loss of power and only revving to 1800 revs, limp home mode. This set us back €450 for a standard Bosch component. 28,000 kms later there is a significant leak from the intercooler, so now searching Spain and UK for replacement asap. I am heartened by Kevin Windle´s experience (one of the first reviews), he claims 291,000mls, for me will be 465,600 kms.I wish. After all the negatives from other owners re fuel pumps, turbo´s etc, thinking a change may be in order, quit whilst ahead. Discovered last year the cockpit air filter had never been changed, it contained every dead insect from Morroco and Africa. 10 min job using a utube Aussie vid, worth googling. Have very much enjoyed this car to date.

Submitted: 2013-01-13 | ID: 44463

Mike J, Devon

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 SVE 2004

Yet another disaster of a car! The intercooler was leaking on purchase from the garage and six visits later was replaced with a recon one, which still leaks! Now after four months from purchase, the fuel pump has failed costing almost £2k. This car has done less than 70k and it’s really shocking.. almost as bad as my Laguna ’Sport’ Tourer which cost me £000’s. Stay away from any diesel Nissans (or Renaults) older than 3 years. You have been warned!

Submitted: 2012-09-19 | ID: 44465

Geoff Henson, Surrey

Nissan X-Trail Aventura 2.5 petrol 2006

I bought this in August 2011, five years old. Wanted a sturdy car that could handle slippery conditions and carry large loads in comfort. Also to travel long distances occasionally in comfort as my wife’s family live in Scotland. No towing so the slightly lower torque compared with the diesel wasn’t a problem and plumped for the 2.5 petrol after reading some mixed reviews about diesel reliability and the performance of the 2.0 petrol. I can honestly say that this is the best car I have owned. It is 100% reliable and very well equipped, including sat nav, heated leather seats, cruise control etc. It has a full sized alloy spare wheel which is better than the newer version which has a space saver in order to provide a little more storage space. The road tax is maximum and the petrol consumption fairly heavy around town, but I knew that before I bought it.

Submitted: 2012-04-21 | ID: 44464

Geoff Lockett, Surrey

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dci 2007

I love the car when it is not in the garage for repair! I have it serviced regularly and carry out normal weekly checks. I have had the car three years and in that time it has had two new turbos (out of warranty), the last one only 10 months after the first one was fitted, but 3k past the warranty limit. The front brakes seized twice (difficulty in sourcing new calipers), it needed a new battery, which took three weeks to source. Its also had several engine management issues and several minor repairs to engine. It has cost over £4000 in repairs bills in three years, plus the normal servicing. Considering one of the main reasons I bought the car was for the reputed Nissan reliabilty I feel totally let down and I will never buy a Nissan again. It has also put off several friends.

Submitted: 2012-01-25 | ID: 44472

Robert Sproat, Kirkcudbrightshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.5 petrol 2008

I wanted a 4X4 to replace my ageing Honda HRV (which gave faultless service! Sold Honda at 110K ). Bought a 29000 2.5 X-Trail petrol and converted to LPG (as I had done with the Honda). The consumption on petrol was 27mpg best, but on LPG equivalent returned 40+ mpg. Problems started at 50K miles. The oil consumption increased dramatically, 1pt per 50miles. The oil control rings stuck. Rings valves etc replaced also the catalytic convertor. Blew a head gasket (?) at 60K miles, head skimmed etc. At 67K miles it blew out all water with a cracked cylinder head; I replaced with another set of valves and a recon head. Now the engine is suffering from a misfire on both petrol and LPG . The diagnostic checker cannot detect where the fault lies. I like the vehicle to drive and for comfort, but I cannot afford to have such poor reliability. (In 1994 I had a 2.0D Primera and it was fantastic, 100K on the clock until a crash wrote it off. What has happened to Nissan?)

What did they diagnose the problem to be. The same is happening with my X-Trail - Troy Watchorn from Australia

Submitted: 2011-11-06 | ID: 44468

Leo Nice, Berkshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 TDi Sport 2002

A Great car! I have covered over 250,000 miles since buying the car second-hand in 2003. The fuel pump was replaced at about 140,000 miles and the EGR valve has just been diagnosed as ’stuck open’, but other than that all repairs have been due to wear and tear (one wheel bearing, disks and pads etc). I would definitely buy another!

Submitted: 2011-10-24 | ID: 44467

Kevin Windle, Berkshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 TD Sport 2002

I bought my X-Trail at one-year old and with 11,000 miles, and over the past 8 years I have added 280,000 miles. They haven’t been trouble free miles, but I guess the problems have been relatively few considering the miles it has covered. The main problems have been; the fuel pump at about 120,000 miles, a corroded oil sump and problems with brake callipers at 230,000. At 260,000 miles I experienced intermittent power loss, which ultimately turned out to be a problem with the EGR valve sticking, and eventually sticking open. Thanks to the AA man for fixing that. There hasn’t been many other problems, and it handled trips to Frankfurt and Inverness with no complaints. Only temperatures of -20C in Frankfurt, causing the diesel to ’become sticky’ caused me many delays through the last two bad winters. I still love driving the car and at the moment have no desire to replace it - with 291,000 miles on the clock, the car runs extremely well and seems to pull as well as it ever did.

Submitted: 2011-10-19 | ID: 44466

James Bisset, Herefordshire

Nissan X-Trail Tekna Bose 173 - Connet Premium 2011

The latest incarnation of the X-Trail comes supplied with Nissan’s brilliant (but also useless) Connect Premium sat-nav (or sat-lost) + audio system. The following applies to all Nissan UK models with this system (XZ-trail, Navara, Pathfinder, Murano,370Z); When you buy this you get a 40GB hard drive with the sat-nav pre installed (no back-up discs), but what you won’t get told is that Nissan (or any other firm) have never released any mapping update discs so whatever the age of the map data when you buy the vehicle this is the mapping you have to use for the whole life of the vehicle!! So it can be up to 2 years out of date when purchased new! As a £1500 extra this is very expensive for what is in effect an unusable and unsafe sat-nav system. Nissan UK customer service/technical couldn’t care less. The dealer was very helpful in trying to solve the problem, but once purchased "Premium" in this case means lowest class with no support. My advice? Do NOT buy any Nissan vehicle with Connnect ’Premium’ HDD infotainment-sat-nav system!! I love my X-Trail, but not the Connect Premium system or Nissan UK Customer service.

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 44470

Juliette Cartwright, South Africa

Nissan X-Trail 2x4 petrol R60 2008

What a fantastic family car. We bought it new and in 103000km we have only replaced brake pads and have never had to top up oil between services. It has been regularly serviced by the dealer every 15000 km and although this is the pricier option we have been very satisfied with its performance. As you can tell the mileage is high and we do a fair amount of traveling often on dirt roads and it has always performed. Will definitely be sticking with this model!

Submitted: 2011-08-03 | ID: 44471

Alan Harvey, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Nissan X-Trail 2.2d sve 2004

I bought our Nissan new Sept.2004 And had it serviced by the main dealer every year. It has done us proud, I have yet to change even a bulb! We have a boat and lug much boating items to and fro. including diving gear in its wipe clean boot area, I have no faults other then having cars with better brakes especially handbrake as I need to fully apply and plus when loaded. I would buy another having had a Freelander on long demo, but due to the extortionate cost and reliability probs decided on a Japanese car with controllable 4x4, comfort and 40plus to the gallon.

Submitted: 2011-05-17 | ID: 44451

Michael Brennan, Northamptonshire

Nissan X-Trail Columbia 2005

Bought an Nissan X-Trail Columbia at Maindealer 27,000 miles. Ran it 5000 and now have to replace Flywheel and Clutch. This car has no tow bar and I am a senior thus drive in a civilised manner. Mechanic reports Brake pads and discs badly worn and scoured despite dealer service on purchase. On purchase there was an oil leak, which they tried to convince me was from the Aircon. Totally disillusioned with Japanese manufacturers and their UK wheeler dealerships.

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 44450

Clifford Mead, England

Nissan X-Trail sve diesel 2003

We purchased a 2003 sve diesel in 2004 with 15k on the clock and the car has been very, very reliable. I will not pay £60 per hour to main dealers and get ripped off, we use a local mechanic who services once a year. Last year it had a new accelerator sensor £700, had to wait 27 days as no parts available in UK or Europe!! This year it needs a new fuel pump, £1,800 new, £900 reconditioned. The car has covered 80,000 miles from new , it has been a great car, but in the last couple of years has started getting expensive. On the whole one of the best cars we have owned, but maybe time to move on. I fancy a VW Touran.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 44444

Tom, Berkshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dci Diesel 2003

Bought from a Nissan Dealer 6 months old in 2004. Selected for lots of leg room, good mpg (39) and 5-speed box. Joy to drive and excellent in the snow. Has had the injectors replaced under Warranty and the battery, now done 90,000 (2011) Now the down side - The fuel filter body was replaced to fix a leak last year, as it would not start and run properly. Now the Fuel pump has gone (Nissan diagnosis) and will cost £1,850 + VAT + labour (engine-out). Reluctant to pay out such exhorbitant prices. The Suction Valve (the bit actualy faulty) would be a much simpler fix, but the part is not available from Nissan. The fuel pump is not made by them. I think I will have to bite the bullet and hope for the best . Disappointed as very good overall - I see so many other reports above of similar story.

I had the same problem and was preparing myself for large bill (new or reconditioned fuel pump) but my local Nissan agent informed me that suction cups were now available (only just recently) and quoted £285 for supplying and fitting. Job done, motor now back running. Champion! - Samuel Meteer from Cumberland

I have just been quoted by Nissan Dealer £102 + vat for the suction control valve and £82.10 inc. vat for fitting. I think this is what I need to sort erratic idling - Nigel Thomas from Ceredigion

Submitted: 2011-03-14 | ID: 44445

Darcy Waldron, Surrey

Nissan X-Trail Columbia 2007

Shocked by the high cost of ownership. Heavy on tyre wear, 4 new tyres at £130 each since new and recent MOT/service revealed that the brake calipers/discs and the shock absorbers will require replacing at the next MOT at an overall cost in excess of £2000. This is on a vehicle which has done 38,000 miles since new and has never been used off road. The break calipers required replacement today, (2 weeks following MOT & service) and in my opinion this vehicle is way over rated, noisy and costly to own.

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 44448

Bob Hobbs, Surrey

Nissan X-Trail diesel SVE 2006

Had this one from new, April 2006. 40k and no trouble. Engine noisy when cold but regular service keeps the noise down. Loads of extras which somehow makes it pleasant to drive, MPG mid-high 30’s depending on type of journey. Very comfotrable, loads of torque, probably wouldn’t buy another one, but who is that boring they have the same make/model twice?

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 44449

Melanie, Surrey

Nissan X-Trail 2.2DCi 1992

I bought my Xtrail diesel when it was 3 years old with 47k on the clock. It now has 82k and until recently not much wrong with it so maybe I have been lucky. However, similar to many reviews of late the car has been losing acceleration in 4th gear and above, foot flat to the floor and not much more than 2500 revs. Then it kicks in or I change gear and it’s back to normal and fine on town roads. I have a very good garage near me who could see but not find the problem so sent me to a diesel specialist. Their diagnosis is the fuel injector valves - no surprise. However because it’s not gone to a dealer the guy is reparing the fuel pump for £675 including parts and VAT. It’s still a huge amount of money but not the cost of a new fuel pump, which the dealer would charge for. I am hoping that the car will now last another year or so and I can get some of my money back but having read all this I’d never buy another.

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 44440

Dudley Fitch, Norfolk

Nissan X-Trail Columbia 2006

I bought this X-Trail in September 2006 as a pre registered vehicle Great at first comfortable etc then last year at about 57K Bang!! Dual mass flywheel in pieces out of guarantee and nobody wants to know! Costs over £1100.00!!!! Today 15/2/2011 Turbo goes - another £1000 + labour for repairs This vehicle is not used off road, only for normal motoring and towing a caravan - within suggested limits - twice a year I’ve had more trouble with this vehicle than any other I’ve owned in 50 years of motoring. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY NISSAN.

I’m interested in the fact that your turbo failed. Mine went "pop" after 36,000 miles and as you can expect the Nissan dealership who I purchased the vehicle from (and who did all the servicing) did not want to know. In every other respect, I like the vehicle but unless Nissan sort out their dealers, I will look elsewhere next time - Frank Scribe from Surrey

Submitted: 2011-02-17 | ID: 44441

John, England

Nissan X-Trail Columbia 2.2 DCI 2006

We bought a X Trail 2006 2.2 DCI back in May 2010. At first we were really pleased with the car especially in the snow towards the end of last year. In all the time we had the car there was an annoying rattle behind the dash board especially when the engine was cold and also the glove box fell off a few times. It went back to the garage a few times for them to sort it out. On one occasion they said the problem was one of diesel injectors, which they replaced under warranty. Two weeks ago whilst driving along a dual carriage way overtaking slower traffic doing about 65 to 70. There was slight rattling noise coming from the engine so I pulled over to the hard shoulder and braked heavily whilst doing so, there was a explosion from under the bonnet and before we came to a standstill the car inside and out was engulfed in smoke. Turned the ignition off but was unable to stop the engine at this moment I decided to leave the car. Apparently the garage think one of the diesel injectors failed causing a catastrophic chain of events costing in the region of 6K. Luckily the car was still in warranty.

Submitted: 2011-02-04 | ID: 44443

Chris, Fife and Kinross Shires

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 Dci Trek 2008

I bought a 2008 model second hand with 25,000 on the clock last week. We live a hilly mile off road, have 18 inches of snow, and so far it has behaved impeccably. On the roads, despite the weather, over 100 miles it has performed in excess of manufacturers mpg figures. Not achieving figures is usually a driving error, rather than manufacturers error. I have always driven to the manufacturers numbers, except in cars over 6 years old or so where things are wearing out. Loads of room - good visibility. nice touch to be able to see the headlights over the bonnet to assist with parking etc. Big dog happy in the back, even with boxes of shopping. Only a week in, so not the most balanced review, but it has been a tough first week for any car. One happy owner.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-07 | ID: 44457

Tom Brand, Lanarkshire

Nissan X-Trail SVE 2005

Got the car nearly 5 years ago, the intercooler was changed 3 times in the first year under warranty then the injectors were replaced under warranty. I’ve done 50k and I’m now afraid to overtake other cars as I try to pass and speed up the power drops and I have to change to another gear to regain power. Apart from these faults the car drives great, I’m looking to change cars and thought about another X-Trail, but after reading these reports I think not.

I had the same problem with my X-Trail. I fitted a new fuel filter - problem sorted. It would not suprise me if your fuel pump problems are indeed the filter - Ronnie Firth from Yorkshire

I think clutch and clutch disk (mechanical device which transmits power from the engine to the gears (in a vehicle)) should be replaced - Ismail Hakki Atac from Turkey

I have a similar problem losing power for a few seconds when overtaking. Did you solve this problem? It feels like a fuel problem caused by electronics - Ronald Talbot from England

Submitted: 2010-11-16 | ID: 44453

John, Staffordshire

Nissan X-Trail 2008

Bought mine just before the fuel went through the roof. Had an Astra estate for 9.5 years with next to no trouble and 50 to the gallon. Xtrail is a lovely ride, all the toys but 30 m.p.g was a bit of a pill. 18 months in and had a new heater blower motor. Dealer said £300 plus labour and vat. 1st choice car spares said £80 plus £40 to have it fitted. :-). Now... after 2.5 years I’m facing a fuel pump or injectors. On top of redundancy its all I need. Lovely motor though. Pity they don’t last like Astras. I miss my Astra. :-(

Submitted: 2010-11-13 | ID: 44452

Steve Phillios, Gloucestershire

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 Aventura Extreme 2008

Purchased new November 2008 and has covered 59000 miles. Dealer serviced at recommend mileage. Excellent vehicle in my opinion but was not impressed with the suppling dealer servicing and changed dealers who are excellent. Front tyre wear is disappointing 20k but rear tyres 50k. Fuel consumption according to computer 39-42 mpg. Have found it does about 3miles more per gallon on Shell Diesel. Have not had to replenish oil between services. Have usually always driven quite long distance so engine always obtains optimum heat. I have always allowed engine to idle for about 30-45 seconds to allow turbo to cool down before switching engine off. Hope this proves effective. Previously had Audi diesels driven in the same way A4 240k no problems serviced every 10k. A6 200k no problems.

Submitted: 2010-09-29 | ID: 44458

Mark Dempsey, England

Nissan X-Trail SVE 2005

Like a lot of other reviewers, the fuel pump went on my 2005 X-Trail - out of warranty but only 37k on the clock. Nissan were helpful but it took at least 3 weeks to get the pump reconditioned at a cost of £1,600. I bought this car because I thought that it would offer me boring Japanese reliability. Apparently not. Now I am just waiting for the turbo to go ... Apart from that, it’s a good car!

Having same problem, told by Nissan garage need new fuel pump, 1300 pounds, luckily we have an excellent mechanic in the family who within 2 hours diagnosed wasn’t fuel pump just fuel regulator at cost of 200 pounds. car now fixed and working fabulous - Deborah Robertson from England

Submitted: 2010-09-04 | ID: 44461

Paul Blackwell, England

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 dci teckna 2009

Bought my 09 X Trail Teckna in Jan 2010 only has 7000 mliles on the clock. On holiday in July 2010 and the turbo has blown, in the garage for 10 days. Dealer loaned replacement while mine of the road. Otherwise lovely vehicle.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 44460

Nigel V, Surrey

Nissan X-Trail SVE 2.2DCI 2004

I have owned this car for 4 years, it’s done 46K miles, I have just been told it needs a new fuel pump and the inter cooler is starting to leak. The quote from my dealer to replace the fuel pump, and fuel rail injector is £4,880 inc. labour. These cars have a 6 year, 50,000 mile lifespan. It’s a real shame, because it is perfect in every other way, quick for a 4x4, powerful, spacious, economical and very well spec’d. However, dealer and parts prices coupled with poor reliability on the diesel models make this car a tough one to recommend.

Submitted: 2010-07-21 | ID: 44459

Brian McMahon, Durham

Nissan X-Trail DCi 2004

These cars have only a 6 year life span. In the past month I have paid £1000 to replace the Intercooler, 2 weeks later I paid £1000 for to replace the Turbo Charger. Now I have been told the Fuel Pump has gone and it will cost around £2000. Nissan should be ashamed. DO NOT BUY A NISSAN!!!

The first DCi (Diesel) X Trail Nissan made was in 2008. How come you got one four years early? - Mez L from Australia

Australia is just a bit slow - Edzard Biermann from South Africa

Submitted: 2010-07-04 | ID: 44425

Stephen Byrne, County Antrim

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dci sport 2006

Bought this car 2 years ago (4 years old) already replaced turbo and was a bit sceptical after reading some comments on this type of 4x4. Nissan gave me the turbo for free but would not pay for the fitting. Fitting cost £375. Insist on connecting manufacturer if the turbo goes, they will honour it. No problems now. Car running like a dream and so long as you don’t over push it, it will look after you.

Submitted: 2010-05-07 | ID: 44424

Stephen, New Zealand

Nissan X-Trail DCI 2.0 Diesel TL 2009

Bought this over the Kia Sorento (145kw and 450NM torque), and came out of a Subaru Outback H6. Very pleased, fun to drive, luxury all around. Well thought through vehicle, not for everyone but perfect for families. Holds way more luggage than any other SUV (eg Outback, Outlander, Kia, Holden, Ford etc). Noisey when cold, sweet torque curve when warm. Better than most SUV’s for passengers; visibility out of lower windows, squarer design = more space. Very surprised, not hard to give up the Subaru at all (180kw and 297NM torque). The 2.0 Diesel seems a better more reliable unit than the older 2.2 model. I hope!

Submitted: 2010-04-22 | ID: 44423

Sue Britt, Australia

Nissan X-Trail 2007

If you live in a remote location you will have to pay a lot of money to truck the car to a repairer with a Nissan computer. You can’t even find out what is wrong without investing a lot of time (weeks) and money.

Submitted: 2010-03-28 | ID: 44417

Mike, Dumfriesshire

Nissan X-Trail DCi Fat Face 2005

Traded in my Volvo V70 and needed something with similar carrying capacity and a bit of 4x4’ness for the winters in rural Scotland. The car has just topped 50k miles and the only issues so far are minor. The satnav is very big and can be disconcertingly bright in certain conditions and annoyingly dark in others. Yes, you can change the brightness of the display but all you end up doing is moving the problem to a different time of day. The other issue is the fuel filter (I think). It was fine during the bad weather then developed a problem when temps dropped much below -5c. The engine would just lose all power however would recover once the temperature rose. It’s a due a service soon and I will get the filter replaced then. Hopefully next winter the issue won’t raise itself again. Otherwise, performance compares favourably with the Volvo and the general spec (albeit a special edition) is fine. The one thing I could do with though is for the car to warm up sooner in cold weather. Overall a good road cruiser, due to the long wheelbase, with acceptable offroad capability.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-09 | ID: 44416

Robert, Scotland

Nissan X-Trail Dci Aventura 2006

Bought from new. Fine and comfortable at first. MPG never reached the stated figures - low 30s at best. Then the engine blew up on the dual carriageway - four years old and 78000 miles!! Still waiting for Nissan dealer to phone me back. Very disappointing. Very poor after sales service.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-02 | ID: 44418

Philip Tull, Berkshire

Nissan X-Trail Aventura 2006

Hello, Thought I had a brilliant small 4x4 and it has performed really well up until two weeks ago. Whilst driving at 50mls/hr I changed from 4th to 5th and suddenly there was no drive at all! No warning, no noise or smells, just no drive in 5th, or any other gear. No garage I have spoken to since knows why (including Nissan dealers) so I am awaiting a very long and expensive investigation involving removing gearbox and clutch and whatever else they think of. Has anyone else had this problem? Drive there one minute, gone the next, no warning lights in the management system, no obvious symptoms of clutch wear or anything else? Just when you think you have found a car to rely on you get this!! Cheers.

I have the Nissan X-Trail 2.2dci fat face, 29000 miles on the clock, today whilst the wife was driving it she heard something pop/maybe snap, then it just wouldn’t drive. The engine starts fine and the gear seems to engage but won’t drive just accelerates as though in neutral. Have you found out what is wrong yet? good luck!! - Brian C from Durham

It sounds like a drive shaft failure to me, possibly the splined end has sheared. This is common on a lot of vehicles, not just on Nissans. It would be first place I looked if I owned it - I would not take the box out first - Anth Lynn from England

Submitted: 2010-02-15 | ID: 44419

Peter Jones, Somerset

Nissan X-Trail Dci Sve FatFace 1994

Bought my car in Feb 2009 in Spain to return to UK, mileage then @ 60K. Chopped in my 500SL, Spanish Plated and LHD. Since done 13kmiles with absolutely no problems.Journey back,1400 miles,returned 50mpg and was quicker than in the SL...more comfort,much more room and cruised around 90 mph. All the stuff the SL had, hot seats,leather, plus SatNav..much better lights for night driving and the recent bad weather here brought it into a different category. So why haven’t I had Turbo/fuel pump problems etc? I have owned probably 40 cars in the past, including Mercs,Jags,BMWs Lotus,Marcos and "normal " high performance stuff and drive my cars within their capabilities.I didn’t buy the X-Trail to burn rubber. Performance is adequate for it’s design and purpose, and,for continental travel with comfort,space and economy, the best car I’ve had. I fully intend to keep it for long distance stuff to and from Spain, and use my son’s TVR for fun whilst in the UK..Wouldn’t risk taking it further than the Chunnel.

Submitted: 2010-01-27 | ID: 44429

Martin Drury, Yorkshire

Nissan X-Trail DCI SVE 2.2 2004

I bought this car two years ago, mainly to pull our caravan. I agree with the majority of comments below. This summer, the intercooler cracked, the turbo packed in and to put the icing on the cake, the engine ceased. I have recently spent over £4000 on a reconditioned engine and new turbo and intercooler. With hindsight, I wish we’d got rid of it in the summer but we decided to keep it and costs just spiralled out of control. I would advise anyone considering purchasing this car to read comments on sites like this . They are full of common (expensive) stories; turbos and intercoolers. I will never buy another Nissan again.

Submitted: 2010-01-23 | ID: 44428

Norman Lee, Ireland

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 DCI 2005

Got mine secondhand 12 months old in February 2005. It ate tyres at first but once the wheels were tracked it has been fine. I tow boats and trials bikes all over the country plus a trip towing to Northern Sweden in 2006 and she has never hiccuped. I have lent her to a lot to different family members and all are full of praise. In the recent snow and floods she was great and felt very secure. Not the comfiest seats in the world and the internal space is limited compared to large MPVs but excellent value for money for me and my family and 2 dogs.

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 44430

Ian Jones, England

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dci fatface 2005

I bought my Nissan Xtrail 2.2 dci fatface from new. It had to have a new turbo intercooler fitted after one year, which was done under warranty. 35000 miles later it is losing power at motorway speeds, hope it is not the fuel pump. It’s in the garage this week. Nissan’s reliance with Renault has affected quality somewhat as all diesel engines, gear boxes, some electrics are sourced from Renault. The petrol engines should be fine as they are Nissan. I work at Sunderland Nissan manufacturing and hope things will improve. My previous car was a Nissan Primera gt, which I owned for 10 years, from which I had a 100% reliabilty record. No renault parts on this car, overall most of the other Nissans are fine, just stay away from diesels.

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 44431

Raymond Kelly, Northumberland

Nissan X-Trail sve dci 2004

I bought my X-Trail in June 2009. The turbo went in september 2008, so I was 650 quid poorer. I did a bit of history research on the car found out this is fifth time the turbo has been replaced. I phoned the Nissan dealer and the service manager politely informed me that if the turbo had gone 2 weeks earlier it would have been replaced for free as it would have been under 5 years old. He admitted there is a serious fault on dci turbos over spinning causing the bearings to collapse the shaft bend and then the seals go. I could have cried. I might try writing to Nissan but I don’t hold up much hope though, getting shot of it might be a better idea.

Submitted: 2009-11-27 | ID: 44432

Bryn Jenkins, Bedfordshire

Nissan X-Trail Diesel 2006

The 3rd turbo is being fitted as I write!! The garage also tell me that the intercooler has developed a leak and needs changing. From new the dashboard has a rattle but only when cold and the general trim quality is rubbish. I have had many Nissan (Datsun) cars in the past but NEVER again. Renault, who own Nissan, have a lot to answer for!!!

Submitted: 2009-10-09 | ID: 44439

Anthony Hatch, Berkshire

Nissan X-Trail Aventura Exp DCIA 2007

The X-Trail is comfortable and well fitted, but the automatic gearbox is of such poor quality that it should be avoided at all costs. The effect is that of a slipping clutch, and the result was an MPG of only 31mpg. Having complained persistantly to the Nissan dealer and main Nissan office at Rickmansworth, that mine was faulty, they insisted it was ’within specification’. After suffering it for 2 years I could stand it no longer, so sold it. Delighted to see the back of it. I should note that I had happily owned the 1st version for 5 years. Petrol auto. I changed when the diesel auto was introduced. No mention in the literature of a change in the gear box.

Submitted: 2009-09-04 | ID: 44433

Viru, County Down

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 Petrol 2006

Brilliant car!! Great value compared to others in its range and much faster on-road and capable off-road... Under full servicing. A door replaced because of minor accident which has many issues... but that is only the dealers fault... I love the car and it does not have mechanical issues... no matter how roughly it gets treated. It got hit on a speedbreaker twice at 80kmph and thrice at 60kmph and only thing that happened was a loose skid plate!!!!! Well my actual location is Nairobi, Kenya.

I have a 54 plate 2.5 petrol SVE, bought second-hand in 2008 for £6k, a total bargain. It handles well, needs nothing doing to it (just passed another MoT). It’s great for the snow, rain and mud though not brilliant on mpg but then it’s a petrol and at the time it’s why I got her so cheap. Fantastic family/dog car with absolutely no probs...thank God I didn’t get a diesel! - Angela Fell from Worcestershire

Bought 2000cc petrol X-trail new in England in 2002. Exported it to Cyprus 18 months later. It has now done 175,000km and has only had one major problem, at 160,000 km, and that was the oxygen sensor mounting in the exhaust manifold breaking away where it was welded. Cost £700 with new sensors. Excellent car, really impressed. Would love to buy a new one except that they no longer make a petrol version, so from the write-ups about the problems with diesels it looks as if this one has got to last a long time yet. Disappointed with the stereo system though, had to have both the radio replaced once and continually have problems with the CD player going into error mode - Chris Dodds from Cyprus

Submitted: 2009-08-26 | ID: 44434

John, Cornwall

Nissan X-Trail 2003

Lots of space and well equiped for a 2003 car. Problem is that expensive things break down on these cars! We needed a new intercooler (which is just like a radiator but laid on its side - it cools the air to the engine) and were quoted over £2000 for the part alone!!!! That is approximately 18% of the vehicles original new price! Why do Nissan attempt to rip customers off in this way? The part must cost about £50 to make. We managed to buy a good second-hand one off ebay for £30! but I will NEVER EVER BUY ANOTHER NISSAN simply because of the rip off prices for parts + the dealers are unhelpful and hopeless. I’ll go back to VW!

Submitted: 2009-08-19 | ID: 44438

Harry Wilson, Perthshire

Nissan X-Trail SVE 2006

140,000 miles up. 36mpg. Okay it has blown 1 turbo, intercooler and fuel pump at 59,999 - but not long after I filled with petrol by mistake. Otherwise far far far better than my previous two Freelander’s (both mk1 and >100,000 miles). As a forester I am hard on my 4x4 but the Xtrail is excellent - and very good on tarmac - faster and almost as good handling as the Freelander. (Freelander feels tougher off road and is probably better but for the insanely high first gear and lack of low down grunt).

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 44437

Stewart Anderson, Orkney Islands

Nissan X-Trail sport. 2003

Bought s/h with 30k now up to 71k. Fully serviced. Car us a real contradiction: great to drive but every day you wonder what next is going to go wrong. Camshaft sensor failed 12k miles ago, replacement etc cost £200 but already it is failing - sometimes the car starts, sometimes it does not and towing power is down. Intercooler has a leak; door seals are coming off; exterior window trim is corroding; passenger door locked shut and could not be opened, door had to be dismantled as lock corroded; tailgate lock corroded. I love it & hate it - a super vehicle spoiled by poor quality control and the ever present awareness (unknown when I bought it three years ago!) that this model has a serious history of failed turbos and intercoolers. I would not have another.

Submitted: 2009-07-10 | ID: 44495

Colleen Waite Woolcock, England

Nissan X-Trail 2007

I agree mostly with the report stated below. I however, have some concerns - the driver’s seatbelt gives off an annoying creaking sound that can sometimes be overbearing, especially when you have a passenger you are trying to impress. I have tried countless times to get it changed under the warranty by Fidelity Motors in Jamaica (that is where I am from but the country is not in the listing), but has been told, after several test drive by the service representative(s) that most of them have this problem. Also, just now after two wonderful years, I have a slack driver’s seatbelt and I have never been in an accident. The seatbelt just does not spring back anymore with that vivaciousness like it used to. I also notice that the front passenger’s seatbelt will soon follow suit, but there is some restraint still in it for now. I have moved from a car to this type of SUV, and have driven heavier SUVs, and noticed that it does not turn corners as in a car, in that, it feels as if it will overturn and this is when you really accept that this is a light-weight vehicle. Overall, however, I feel proud to drive one and despite the few concerns glad that I had made that choice in purchasing.

Submitted: 2009-06-10 | ID: 44494

Barney Gee, Buckinghamshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 diesel 2008

Very impressed with the car. The appearance is quite pleasing but dynamically; great, even when fully loaded. Fuel consumption is very respectable (35.5mpg), ride and handling superior to anything similar I’ve driven. Acceleration is very impressive and ride/noise very smooth/quiet even at high speed. Audio sound quality is terrific, seats comfortable; heated leather a real benefit. Loading is easy, volume cavernous and all washable. Reliability has been flawless. Great car for field, urban road and motorway. A really refined work horse; a car for all occasions/seasons. Thanks Nissan!

Submitted: 2009-04-24 | ID: 44497

Brian Hodson, Durham

Nissan X-Trail sve dci 2005

Bought it in September 2005 after being pre owned by dealer with 9000 miles on the clock. It has now had three new turbo’s (all on warranty). At a cost of £975 plus VAT each. I am dreading the turbo blowing again now I have to pay for it. The plastic studs on the rear door seals have failed and I have failed to source new ones at a reasonable cost (£160 from dealer for new seals, not just studs). Average 36 mpg solo and 26 towing my caravan.... not bad. Overall the car is satisfactory but nothing to write home about. I will not buy another one. I understand the new 2 litre diesel engines are causing more problems than the old (fuel pumps, underpowered). Not a patch on my previously owned Isuzu Trouper which was a superb tow car but rather too heavy on fuel (18 mpg towing), road tax and insurance.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 44496

Mike Tovey, Gloucestershire

Nissan X-Trail 2.2 dci SVE 2004

We bought a late 54 plate pre-used X Trail October 2008 to replace a Mazda pick up. With only 20k miles on the clock it is just run in nicely. I had the car fully serviced and made sure that the ECU was updated to limit the turbo spin (quite a few turbos have blown on 2.2 dci). Added Slick 50 to the gearbox which has made the box very smooth (it was a bit "notchy" before) and got a Warranty Direct insurance just to be on the safe side (£300 buys a lot of peace of mind). We have taken it out on 2 long journeys so far and we love it. The 135bhp power unit has bags of low down torque (which should come in handy when towing our caravan), it cruises at 70mph quietly, good economy (about 39mpg), it is a stable and relaxing car to drive and the CD/Radio sounds great. Heated leather seats with electronic adjustment are refinements that I would never of bought in a new car but add ownership pleasure. Great big sunroof and a "no lip" boot which makes it so easy to get the dogs in and out of the load area. Overall 99/100 - wish I had bought one earlier.

Can you tell me any more information about the up grade ECU for the turbo please? I am just about to buy a X trail for the first time and would like to prevent the turbo over spinning - Eric Bishop from Norfolk

Submitted: 2008-11-25 | ID: 44486

Andrew, Yorkshire

Nissan X-Trail Diesel 136 Sport 2004

Avoid like the plague. Bought from new, 3 turbo’s down the line (1 under warranty) and now up to £2k plus for a new fuel pump. No more Nissan’s for me.

You’re right. This is my last last Nissan, too. I have a Qashqai since brand new. No more Japanese cars for me. No more Nissans. OK, Nissans are cheaper than European cars, but we get what we pay. Then... expensive replacament parts, not long-lasting cars. I’m all right with used my BMW 530TD. I’d rather pay £60 more road tax and £240 more on fuel yearly than paying £10000 more for a brand new eco-friendly Jap car vs a 10 years old German quality! :) Just do the math! - from England

Submitted: 2008-11-14 | ID: 44484

Richard West, Fife and Kinross Shires

Nissan X-Trail Columbia 2.2 CDi 2006

I purchased my pre-registered 2006 Colombia X Trail 2.2 cdi in July 2007 with delivery miles only. It came highly recommended and I believed the official MPG figures - big mistake! After 3000 miles I achieved 30 MPG at best. Nissan dealer and Nissan customer services said this was acceptable! I have now completed 22000 miles and average has gone up to 32 MPG. After a few weeks the rubber trim round both rear doors came away and the plastic studs were lost. Nissan dealer could only sell me the complete seal - £160.00 plus VAT per door! Nissan Customer service offered me a 10% discount. Local body shop obtained the plastic studs and fixed the seals - no charge! My first service cost £175.00 and the bill came with a £560.00 plus VAT list of extras (not under warranty) that I should have done. I took the car to a local garage and they agreed some of the items needed done but most did not and charged me £120.00 including VAT for the lot. If you buy, do not expect quality after sales back up or the economy figures they claim. By the way I have just sold mine!

Submitted: 2008-10-24 | ID: 44482

John Neill, Lancashire

Nissan X-Trail Trek 2008

A great family car with plenty of goodies. Good on fuel and so far faultless.

Submitted: 2008-10-21 | ID: 44483

Mike Davies, Bridgend

Nissan X-Trail 2004

2.2 DCI SVE- What a fabulous car!! It really is a work horse. We have three children (one being a baby) and a dog... they all fit in perfectly. We pull a 23’ caravan all over the country and you don’t know it’s there. Plenty of torque and very comfortable. Avoid main dealer servicing though as its a total rip off - especially in Cardiff. They charge you for work they don’t do!!! Overall the vehicle is superb and definately buy another one. No problems with anything. Top car.

Submitted: 2008-09-12 | ID: 44488

John Bird, Yorkshire

Nissan X-Trail Columbia Diesel 2.2 2006

I have owned the vehicle from new, June 2006. I have found the engine to be very noisy. Under warranty the injectors have be replaced but it is still noisy. On the annual service this year I mentioned it again and was told after test that it was the norm for this engine. Disappointed. In May 2008 when we travelled down to the French Alps towing a 1500Kg caravan. On coming out of La Mure on the N85 the vehicle overheated within the first part of the climb I had to stop and let it cool down. On re starting the journey from stand still it only just coped, but I could not get out of first gear for the rest of the climb and had to stop a second time, overheated again. On the flat or lower grade mountain roads, for example on the A75 from Milau to Beziers it is OK. I will be get rid very soon but not for another X-Trail.

The X-Trail is great, in my case since 2003. We must remember it is a car and not a tractor. Towing 1.5 tons is quite heavy I must say hence don’t blame the X-Trail - Jason Mochache from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2008-09-10 | ID: 44489

Tony, Sussex

Nissan X-Trail 2.2di 2002

Nice to drive BUT CANNOT recommend a car that needs new fuel pump for £2000 at 58000. Very common fault according to NISSAN dealer. Air flow meter, common fault £400 , new key £300 with coding. How can they charge these prices. DO NOT BUY unless you have deep pockets.

I spotted an X-Trail in the garage the other day on ramps. Guess what? Fuel pump. The mechanic says it has to be a design fault as he has replaced 5 over the last two months; the part alone is £1600 and it seems to affect 2.2 dci engine. Please heed this warning and buy something else - Ian Garnham from Durham

Submitted: 2008-04-21 | ID: 44492

David Noble, Lanarkshire

Nissan X-Trail Columbia diesel 2007

For three years I previously had an X-Trail 2.2 litre sport six speed giving an average of 33 miles to the gallon. I looked at the new X-Trail in November 2007 when I was due to change but was disappointed to see they had reduced the cc to a 2 litre. As I tow a caravan the extra power is a must. The dealership were very good in that they checked to see if the old model was available and managed to supply a Columbia version with sat nav and cruise control and I can honestly say its as good as the previous one.

Submitted: 2008-04-10 | ID: 44491

Stuart, Northamptonshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 Dci SVE 2005

The Nissan Xtrail was a good car to begin with but two years on we are now on to our 3rd Turbo and have had to have the suction control valve changed. I would never buy one of these cars ever again.What a complete let down it has turned out to be. Once this car is back on the road we are going to get shot of it ASAP and get something more reliable. Luckily for us we are having the work done under Warranty but when we have to start paying they are talking £1,000 money we can’t fford to keep paying out...

Submitted: 2007-12-17 | ID: 44477

Gordon Brown, Sutherland

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 dCi (148) 2007

If you’re going to get an X-Trail, get the diesel. The six-gear manual gearbox is a delight and I think it comes as standard. The ride is comfortable, visibility excellent. Corners well and the diesel engine is lovely and quiet when cruising. Great space, equipment and safety make this one of the best 4x4s, especially at the price.

Submitted: 2007-11-09 | ID: 44481

Lizzy Jones, Somerset

Nissan X-Trail Sport 2007

I’m excitedly waiting to collect my first x trail sport, I had a test drive yesterday & am so impressed. The drivng position, easy handling, comfort & what really sold it to me ... the wonderful fuel consuption. I didn’t think I could afford to run a 4x4, but this is brilliant. I’ll report back when I pick him up ... I’ve called him Neville!

Do you still have the X-Trail and have you had any serious faults? Also, mileage to date please? - Jim Ashcroft from Scotland

Submitted: 2007-09-12 | ID: 44479

Ash Kashani, Cheshire

Nissan X-Trail 2.0 dCi 171 Sport 5 dr 2007

So far everything has been reliable, and trouble free. Plenty of space for 4 adults to travel comfortably and very good on fuel consumption. Great car.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 44478

• A response has been made to Robert Sproat (06/11/2011 21:29:59)
  • A response has been made to Tom (14/03/2011 19:56:32)

• "Hi there, our Nissan X-trail engine died while driving on a small hill. This is the first time something like this has happened and it won't start ag..." (Lani, 20/10/2014 23:10:13)
  • "When i press the accelerator or clutch, the nissan makes a very loud hisky sound. when i start it in the mornings, it also makes the same sound but a..." (M, 20/10/2014 07:53:39)
  • "Mt rear wiper & wash will not operate, have checked & replaced the fuse still nothing? looking at the tailgate there are 2 cable entries, which on..." (Brian Bishop, 18/10/2014 20:42:03)
  • "My X-Trail is T30 2001 model 2.0 petrol (manual trans). The 4wd yellow light day time is indicated on the dashboard and is not working the (2wd/ auto..." (gayan, 13/10/2014 05:37:29)
  • "Rev control sudden drops out and car shuts down, car restarts but no rev counter, works again after an hour then intermitaly shuts down..." (John Read, 11/10/2014 20:31:17)

• bob gillespie's question has been answered: "The excess water is from your aircon evaporator. This is created because the fan sucks in warm air and blows it across a much colder coil [evaporater - Geoff from Essex' '..." (16/10/2014 21:50:31)
  • john's question has been answered: "My x trail is T30 2001 module,2.0 petrol (manual trans).the 4wd yellow light day time indicated in dashboard, and not working the (2wd/ auto/lock) an - gayan from Sri Lanka' '..." (13/10/2014 05:23:03)

Nissan X-Trail

2.0 dCi 150 Aventura - The X-Trail was first launched back in 2001 and was among the first of a new generation of so-called soft-roaders. In 2007 came the all-new X-Trail and, like its predecessor, this model is a lot more capable off-road than its soft-roader tag implies, while also being civilised enough for the school [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report