Nissan Almera consumer car reviews and road tests

Nissan Almera

Nissan Almera consumer reviews by year of make:1997 1998 1999 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2008

Nissan Almera consumer car reviews

ashley, Trinidad and Tobago

Nissan Almera 2002 - 2006

I purchased my Almera when it was 4 years old, I have had it almost 8 years now and it is the best car. Very reliable, all I have to do is periodic tuning up (every 4 - 5 months). The usual wear and tear i.e. tire (changed twice, battery - changed twice). No problems at all, if this car was not number one on the stolen list in this country I would purchase another.

Submitted: 2014-06-12 | ID: 97529

Lee Willson, Sussex

Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel 2004

I’ve owned my Nissan for 5 years now and it’s been totally reliable throughout that time. The only item I’ve changed is the maff air flow sensor and that was my own fault due to being rough with the cleaning. Nissan quoted £316 for this item, but I managed to pick one up on the net new and good spec for £36.00. I also do regular oil and filter changes and it keeps me happy. It had 50000 on the clock when I bought it and it now has 136000. I do a 80 mile round trip every day to work. I would give a good rating for the car - keep it happy and it will last.

Submitted: 2013-07-21 | ID: 43770

Eliza Jones, Cheshire

Nissan Almera S 1.8 auto 2008

I disagree with the other reports. Mine has been absolutely lovely to drive, very comfortable and very nifty with the powerful engine. Had for 5 years and not had many problems with it, just normal wear and tear. It’s a great size, not too big, but big enough to carry passengers comfortably.

Submitted: 2013-07-21 | ID: 43769

Colin Pook, Pembrokeshire

Nissan Almera SE Auto 2005

A nice comfortable car, which is reasonably quiet with a smooth, nice auto transmission. I do like the chain timing instead of a belt, but I don’t like the keyless entry. I havent had chance to do a motorway run yet for mpg. I’m 72 yrs now and I hope this is my last car.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 43768

Joop Balzacq, Netherlands

Nissan Almera 2.0 GTI on LPG 1998

Besides the regular maintenance, there are no costs whatsoever. A very reliable car and on LPG, it is extremely economical. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-09-05 | ID: 43767

Simon Worley, Sussex

Nissan Almera Ambition 1999

I brought my Almera in 2003 with 28000 miles on the clock. Although not the worlds most exciting car it has been totally reliable and has now reached 107000 miles. I’ve had no significant costs but my MOT tester still needs the odd pound of flesh. On balance reliable, discrete and economical.

Submitted: 2011-05-08 | ID: 43764

Martin, Lancashire

Nissan Almera 1.8SE Auto 2004

Own a 2004 Almera 1.8 Auto, bought for my wife a year ago (less than 30000 miles on the clock). First impressions were - poor handling, loud engine, cheap tinny construction, slow, but reasonable equipment level with a good stereo. However reliability has been appalling with major faults (coolant leak, power steering fluid leak) as well as minor (faulty switches, boot sticks shut, vibration at 70mph). Awful car.

I think you’ve been really unlucky, Martin. I bought an ’04 1.8SE automatic in October 2006 with 27,000 on the clock. I’ve still got my one now, and it’s done 104,000. Two light bulbs blowing aside, I’ve not had one problem with it! It’s passed every MOT, and reliability wise, the best car I’ve ever had! - from London

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 43765

Jackson Gibson, Ireland

Nissan Almera 2002

I purchased my 1.5 Nissan Almera new and have 160,000 on the clock and it has never let me down even once. Keep it serviced and well kept and you will be happy. Best car I ever bought.

I take it it’s the only car you ever bought then? - from Yorkshire

My 1.8SE auto has done 104,000 - not had one problem with it! Well done Nissan! - from London

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 43761

Simon Stewart, England

Nissan Almera 1.5 2006

I have just sold mine now after 5 years of ownership. It has never let me down and the only parts apart from service ones I have purchased are tyres. It was a comfortable and felt a very safe car with powerful brakes and economical. But the only other two things I liked about it were the 6 speaker stereo and that it had aircon. The performance of the engine was awful the 0-60 mph time seemed like forever,so you had to be very careful when trying to overtake. So if you want a very reliable, comfortable, safe and ever so boring car then this is the one for you.

Submitted: 2011-02-09 | ID: 43760

Walid Mousbah, Northamptonshire

Nissan Almera 2004

I like the space and large boot. It’s not very comfortable but it’s not too bad either. This model would have been good if it hadn’t had the timing chain defect. This problem seems to be very common and very costly. The first time it cost me £500 in my local garage, now I’ve got the same problem and Nissan are quoting me £1500-£1700 to fix their own problem. I wouldn’t recommend this model to anyone.

You’re exaggerating - from Lincolnshire

Complete and utter drama queen. No need for it - Minnie Mills from County Tyrone

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 43757

Phil Richards, Lancashire

Nissan Almera 2002

This is my third Almera and the previous two have had 120,000 on the clock when px’d and still had plenty of miles left in them. They have only been serviced and a clutch cable broke but that was it. Tried to get my daughter to buy one but to her it was not trendy - who cares if it starts everytime and costs are minimal?

Submitted: 2010-05-20 | ID: 43756

Elaine Murphy, Ireland

Nissan Almera SXE 2006

I had to renew seatbelts at 123k, also new clutch at 123k. I think I to have get a new car soon as it drives like a banger now.

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 43755

Simon Jee, London

Nissan Almera 1998

Having owned this car since 2006, it has never needed to go into a garage for major repairs, outside of MOT`s and services, so has been incredibly reliable. It will start first time, every time, even during the recent cold winter spell and after lengthy periods of idleness due to holidays. If I had to make one criticism of my car, it is the fact it is only a 3 door model. This is because I feel it`s a safety issue in case of accidents and the difficulty in getting rear seat passengers out of the car. Of course, I hope this will never be an issue for me but when I do need to look for another car I will seek out a Nissan model with 5 door access in the future.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-14 | ID: 43754

Joe Kavanagh, Cornwall

Nissan Almera 2.0 diesel 1997

I bought my rare diesel model 7 months ago with 6 months mot for 350 pounds. slow, yes, reliable, comfortable and very economical more than make up for the sluggishness though. covered 10000 miles to date but oil leak, corrosion and worn seatbelts mean it will probably have to be scrapped at end of the year. My search for a replacement diesel model may be difficult, I’ve not seen another. If anybody out there can help?!

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 43753

Tom Foxe, Norfolk

Nissan Almera Action 5dr Hatchback 1997

I bought this used 5 years ago, brilliant reliable car, good handling & consumption, no major MOT work & it’s now 12 years old! Just one piece of advice, my sump rusted through & leaked oil, I was lucky to notice before the oil got too low, so if you want to keep your Almera into old age, get the sump painted/coated to stop it rusting. My local service manager said this is fairly typical of modern cars "They don’t leak oil like cars in the 50s & 60s did, so there’s no oil on the engine casing to protect it from rusting!"

Submitted: 2009-09-29 | ID: 43752

Stephen G, County Down

Nissan Almera 1.5SX 2006

I own an 06 1.5sx Almera. Standard kit is fantastic compared to much more expensive cars, e.g. - climate control, air con, half leather, alloys, full body kit etc etc. You know what they say, you can with a Nissan!!!

Submitted: 2009-02-09 | ID: 43775

Connor Marston, Yorkshire

Nissan Almera 1.5 S Petrol 2001

Excellent little car. Rides well, economical, good acceleration and brakes. One small thing, timing belt gone - £500 - nasty.

Submitted: 2008-06-24 | ID: 43773

Tom Jade, Pembrokeshire

Nissan Almera 1.6 16v 1997

I bought it at 7 years old with 57000 on the clock. A good drive and good supportive drivers seat. I have now done 204,000 miles and still going. Had a new clutch about 45000 miles back. Minor work on front suspension. All in all a brilliant car although the clutch has been rather stiff to use. The engine has only failed me once (this winter in damp weather...gave it a spray with wd40 and fine since) rear suspension now sounding a bit knocky on sharp bends. Will continue to drive it until major problems arise then sadly have to move on. All in all the most wonderfully reliable old car I’ve ever had...can’t really fault it

Submitted: 2008-03-31 | ID: 43774

Pargat, England

Nissan Almera 2008

Excellent car. Nice interior, good handling. Very economical and quite comfortable interior.

Submitted: 2008-02-21 | ID: 43772

Patrick Woodhead, Wiltshire

Nissan Almera 1.5 16V SE 4dr 2005

Good space, large boot, good level of comfort. This isn’t the most exciting car I’ve ever driven but as a family car it is reliable, safe and gives good mpg.

Submitted: 2007-11-22 | ID: 43771

• A response has been made to Martin (25/04/2011 11:02:21)
  • A response has been made to Jackson Gibson (10/04/2011 21:17:50)

• "What do I look at when the immobiliser lamp is lit and the radiator fan is on when the ignition is switched ON? The central locking works fine. The O..." (Vic, 30/08/2014 19:22:34)
  • "In the mornings my almera will not start it cranks fine but you can smell excessive fuel at the exhaust while cranking it seems to be flooding when i..." (dennis, 27/08/2014 05:57:29)
  • "hi my almera is running well ,no clutch slipping,noise or juddering. i just dont have pick /pull.runs ok upto 40 mph and then takes ages to climb a..." (nasser, 26/08/2014 20:43:40)
  • "can you please try to answer my problem on where to find the washer bottle motor front on my car and what i have to remove to find it the rear is wor..." (dennis ready, 24/08/2014 23:43:24)
  • "We have an intermittent problem with the NAS warning light some times it is on and the car starts fine sometimes we cannot start the car and have to ..." (Melanie Ronan, 24/08/2014 11:20:13)

• Andy's question has been answered: "Hi Andy Did you find out why? I ask because I have the same problem but worse because my immobiliser comes on as well Any help welcome - Vic from Suffolk' '..." (30/08/2014 19:16:23)
  • Manny's question has been answered: "Reset the code - common fault in the airbag/seatbelt light. It will fail the MOT so fix the error. The simplest way I found was by turning the ignitio - eddy from Falkirk' '..." (12/08/2014 12:28:18)

Volkswagen Golf