Mitsubishi Shogun consumer car reviews and road tests

Mitsubishi Shogun

Mitsubishi Shogun consumer reviews by year of make:1993 1996 1999 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Mitsubishi Shogun consumer car reviews

Mae Faulder, Ayrshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2011

Needed new brake discs and pads at 10000 miles/ 10 months old! Dealer wouldn’t do this under warranty as was told it was wear and tear and my bad driving. Now.done 32,000 miles and the new discs /pads. are still ok, my driving must have improved!! The transmission failed when I had it off- road and got a lecture from the mechanic who came to it saying I shouldn’t have had it in a field!! It’s a 4x4 for heavens sake! The alarm went off one day when driving down the motorway. The dealer hadn’t a clue as to why this happened and thankfully it hasn’t done it again. It can be difficult to start if left for a few days, and have had to get it jump started on a few occasions, which is a damned nuisance! It is absolutely useless on snow/ice and doesn’t handle well in such conditions, I was told to get off-road tyres costing £600! Wouldn’t buy another one. Had a Daihatsu Fourtrak for 10 years with no problems and a great workhorse, wish they still imported them as I’d get one tomorrow!

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 43663

Paul Tustain, Gloucestershire

Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 2011

I have owned two Shoguns previously and found them totally reliable. I made the mistake of changing to a Discovery 3, which I kept for only 5 months (most of that time was spent in the garage). I went back to a new Shogun in June 2011..wow! What a difference to the older ones. I have had no problems to date, it is completely reliable, comfortable and has all the toys. Also the performance (197bhp) is brilliant. My only criticism is the claimed fuel consumption. There is no way you will average 34mpg unless you drive for many miles on a flat road with no hills at a steady 40mph with the revs not going above 1200rpm. I drive extremely light footed and can never average more then 28mph. Saying that I would recommend the Shogun to anyone who wants a true, reliable 4wd that now looks the part and performs better then most of its competition.

I agree, mpg is bad to what the book says. Good all round car but the suspension is so hard I am looking for a modification. Can you help? - from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2012-04-02 | ID: 43656

Paul Tustain, Somerset

Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 2011

This is the third Shogun I have had and wished I had always stayed with them, having tried Land Rover twice with a Freelander and then a 2005 Discovery; a total disaster with both as they spent more time in the garage then on the road. This latest Shogun is amazing and I find it difficult to understand some of the bad press reviews that are always stating how brilliant the Discovery is in comparison. If you want to stay driving at nearly half the new cost of an unreliable Discovery pick the Showgun every time.

Submitted: 2012-01-28 | ID: 43662

Bruce, Berkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun L200 2003

I bought this car with only 12000 miles on the clock. I took it for its first main service and I was told it needed a new clutch £700+ to repair. I refused to have it fixed. The garage had it for 2 weeks and couldn’t find why it was down on power. A couple of months later and 38000 miles on the clock the cylinder head cracked. I had the head replaced and it was then back to full power. Mitsubushi are not interested!! At 72000 miles the car suffers from oil pressure issues, I spoke to the General manager of Mitsubushi UK (I have his e mail address if anyone would like to tell him what they think of their cars), but he was not interested as it was out of warantee, and had no explaination as to why loads of these cars fail at 70000+ miles. He also can’t explain why my clutch is still going strong after 72000 miles when they said it needed chainging. This is my second and LAST Mitsubushi, I wouldn’t ever buy another one. I can put up with the odd problem, but major issues should be covered by the manufactures, they know they have engine problems and all Mitsubushi do is bury their heads in the sand! Buyer beware you will need deep pockets to keep a Mitsubushi on the road!!

Hi, had my 2011 shogun from mitsubishi dealer,bought used. Rust appeared on black window surround on rear doors. Searched net and found its a known problem. Dealership says not warranted as car is 3 years old,but rust warranty 10 years ! Had bad service from dealership. Also have been waiting for sunroof to be repaired for 9 months. Awful company. - from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2012-01-24 | ID: 43661

Alison Dickinson, Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun LWB 2008

Hi, this is the second Shogun I’ve owned as I previously had a 2004 SWB and never had a problem. Then I bought a 2008 LWB plate and sold it in 2011 as it was the worst car I had every owned. In 6 months it spent 12 weeks in the garage with a rusting door and engine managment problems. Then the particulate filter went at 43,000 miles and from then on it just drank fuel like it was going out of fashion, plus a £2000 bill to repair it. So I decided to sell it. When I contacted Mitsubishi they knew they had a problem with the rusting round the windows, but then I noticed even on the bottom of the doors it had rust inside. The garge actually said it needed all new 4 doors, but Mitshubishi wouldn’t cover this on warranty and only allowed them to paint it. I was so disappointed as it was good in the snow and fab to load the children and dogs into. My first Shogun was fab, what happened Mitsubishi to the new ones?

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 43660

George Musungo, Zimbabwe

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Warrior Auto 2007

I recently bought a Mitsubishi Shogun Sport Warrior Automatic with 50k miles in the UK and exported it to Zimbabwe. The vehicles runs well but tends to show high temperatures when being driven at slow speeds. This problem does not occur when driving at high speed.

Hi George, I also intend to import one of these from the UK. I would appreciate being able to converse directly with you regarding your experience. Please mail me on tafadzwamahachi@gmail.com. Thanks and regards - Tafadzwa Mahachi from Zimbabwe

I worked on one of these Mistubishi Shogun 3.0 petrols, the temperature gauge goes up at low revs and it has now developed an automatic gearbox problem, it delays ingaging gear and is making funny noises with the 4x4 light showing on dash. I’m still trying to get to the bottom of it will keep you posted - Shelton Bogezi from Zimbabwe

Submitted: 2011-08-18 | ID: 43657

Jo Shaw, Derbyshire

Mitsubishi Shogun Field 2007

A great work horse that has been well abused, even though the milage is not high. It is used for moving stock and has never let us down. Two feet of snow, minus 15 temeratures and High Peak hills could not stop her. We have had her since she was 18 months old and definitely have no intention of parting with her. OK she’s a little pricey on the fuel, but at 3.2L I suppose that’s what I should expect. Anyway she’s my baby so I’ll put up with it.

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 43655

Patricia Downes, Wrexham

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004

Hi I bought a Shogun 3.2 Did elegance in 2008. In late september 2010 I had a catastrophic overheat. I eventually booked it in with an enginer remanfuacturer (whom I would highly recommend), only to find out that the problem was in fact the EGR cooler and dipstick. Apparantly the car had a recall on in July 2005, good news!! Previous owner had a head gasket fitted in 2007, but the car was NEVER booked in for the recall. My finance company are likely to have to pay after speaking to the the trading standards and financial services ombudsman. A very expensive problem at £4200, but found a very reputable garage to carry out the work! Fingers crossed all goes well. Check with Mitsubishi if there are any recalls outstanding..

Submitted: 2011-05-21 | ID: 43623

Khaled Tillawi, Jordan

Mitsubishi Shogun 2005

Perhaps the best 4x4xfar. I have owned previously an almost new Range Rover. everyday I faced a breakdown, electrical, mechanical, wipers, power windows, center lock, pumps, gearbox, engine...etc. I wasted lots of money and time on the Range. I bought the Mitsubishi for 30% of the Range price, same year. Now this is the 6th year with the Mitsubishi and only oil change and normal maintenance. I fully recommend the Mitsubishi.<br /><br />

I fully agree with your assessment of Range Rover. The same happened with me - Abu Ismael from Lebanon

Submitted: 2011-05-11 | ID: 43621

John A, Northamptonshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 Diesel Field 2005

Bought a mint example in March 2011. 30000 miles full history. Irrespective of the background to the car I had the timing chain tensioner changed although garage reported that there was no fault and like wise the near side rear drive shaft (it is only the one that can suffer from the faulty circlip problem). No apparent issue but did as a precaution. The major failures reported on this forum tend to be related to these two potential problems and for a few hundred pounds, not a lot, prevention is better etc. I also took the advice to change auto transmission fluid and diff oils. I also checked with Mitsubishi direct to determine if all recalls had been done and got those up to date. Shoguns are off roaders and if used as such need proper care and preventative maintenance. They are not family hatchbacks that potter to the shops. So hopefully with proper care and servicing I can look forward to many miles with no major mechanical failures.

Submitted: 2011-05-08 | ID: 43620

James, Buckinghamshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2005

Shogun the best 4x4 by far. A few tips. Make sure only genuine Mitsubishi filters are used. Change auto gearbox fluid every 30,000 as there is no filter. Change top timing chain guide every 30,000 do the tapets at the same time, make sure to only turn crank clockwise. Change coolant every 3 years. Use 4wd to keep it working. Try not to drive in 4 WD on dry roads unless towing otherwise transmission can wind /heat up. Don’t thrash it when it’s cold. Needs all terrain tyres to go well off road. Keep plenty of grease on 4wd actuator on front axle. Try to have the same depth of tread on all 4 tyres.

Hi there, I have to tell you that after I’ve read all these reviews I got worried about my recent decision to buy the 3.2 did, SWB 2002 reg. It has 80k miles with full service. I don’t know what to do, I couldn’t afford to stay with it in the garage and to pay all those huge bills for faults as injector pump. Isn’t that considered a fabrication fault? Not to mention the cam chain. Do you have this model? You seem to know it quite well - Daniel Enachi from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2011-03-26 | ID: 43624

Mel Spear, Surrey

Mitsubishi Shogun Elegance 2006

Boy, reading these reports have I been lucky? My ex Mitsu management car bought for ten under list with 14000miles now has 169000 on the clock and is still sweet, until just before Xmas. Only problems ’til then are the gearbox sensors (they all do that sir...), failed tailgate door lock (must be due to getting the dogs in and out all the time), slight bit of rust below RHS tailgate window, which I also had on a previous Shogun - must be a weak point. Also had some issues with the roof not closing properly, but resolved under warranty, but it may have been something to do with letting it close onto the cable for a yellow rotating beacon...doh! However, the engine’s been rattling; originally thought to be hydraulic tappets, it turns out to be a timing chain. I’ve probably done 2000-3000miles since it started rattling, hauling laden car trailers, so I think I must be lucky it didn’t break!!! But it’s apparently a 20 hour engine out job estimated at £2500-3000...gulp! However, two years ago my price to change to a comparable new shape was £10000 so in my book I’m still quids in if that is ALL that has gone wrong in that time and mileage, I’m happy!!!! With regards to the Satnav; when I first bought it it hardly worked at all, but they did something with the aerial in the rear side window and it works 90% of the time, not a great problem ’cos I trust my TomTom!! Also had some condensation in a rear light (replaced under warranty) and a dipstick recall; new design has two seals. Would I buy another one? Absolutely!!

I have got to agree with the sentiment of your review. I have read through all the horror stories that people have and can only say that they must simply be unfortunate. I have owned Mitsubishis for years including Space Wagon, Charisma, Space Star, Colt Cabriolet Turbo, Lancer sport (twice), Colt Turbo (3 door), Outlander and have recently purchased a Shogun Sport. In all those years and through all those vehicles, I have only ever had three problems, all fixed by our local Mitsubishi dealer under warranty. Now our dealer, Devonshire Motors, is Mitsubishi Dealer of the year, and wins this award with nauseating regularity, but their attitude, service and experience demonstrate why they have received the award. I bought the Shogun Sport for towing, having used a Jeep Cherokee and Shogun 3.2 D in the past and had the option of a Jeep Cherokee on this occasion. My decision to purchase the Mitsi was not based on internet gossip or, perish the thought, Top Gear reviews but on simple statistics. Shoguns have fewer warranty claims than any other 4x4, end of story. I buy my vehicles with my eyes open, not for image or status. My colleague handed back his brand new BMW M3 4x4 after 6 weeks because of leaking windows, noises under the dashboard and faulty lights that meant he could be doing 80 at night and his lights would simply switch off. BMW took three weeks to find the problem, behind the dashboard, and returned his car with a ill-fitting display binnacle that rattled over 50mph. I quote this by comparison to my experience with Mitsubishi which I can only conclude is down to the dealer and a car marque that is renowned for its reliability. Incidentally, my Space Wagon, Space Star and Charisma are all still in the local area where the Charisma is now a taxi with 150K plus on the clock (1.6 Petrol). I hope this helps to allay the fears of any would-be buyers. As a last thought, I bought a new Renault Clio 1.6 Dynamique that receives orgasmic reviews everywhere, and kept it for only 12 weeks after the dealer responded to every problem with "yes, they all do that" and Renault wanted paying for solving the cold starting problem (won’t start at -3 degrees owing to an EMS problem). The car was a rattling bag of nails that I would never go near again, and our local Renault dealer, Prideaux Motors, were an indifferent bunch of showmen. I replaced it with a Colt 1.5 Turbo, 147bhp, 0-60 in 7 secs, no rattles, no squeaks and started first time in -17degrees! Enough said - Paul Ward from Devon

Submitted: 2011-01-20 | ID: 43628

Adrian Clark, Fife and Kinross Shires

Mitsubishi Shogun Classic 3.2 Di-D Auto 2006

I have a Shogun Classic Di-D Auto 2006, 44000 miles. The "Check Engine" light came on on 8th Dec 2010. Dealer diagnosed faulty fuel pump but couldn’t source one ("on back order" at Mitsubishi UK). I moved the car to a specialist diesel garage on 20th December. I have an extended warranty through Warranty Direct and have been battling with them ever since. Finally got authorisation to proceed with repair yesterday (13th January 2011). Two things to note: I’m told Mitsubishi’s diesel fuel pumps are prone to failure (replacement exchange unit £1300-£1700 + vat; new pumps £2900 + vat) + 4 hours labour to remove/refit. Secondly, don’t buy an extended warranty unless you are prepared for a major and lengthy battle to get the insurance company to pay out. And then no guarantees. Apart from that I would award the Shogun 4 stars. It is a good rugged comfortable towing vehicle that I use to launch boats off sandy beaches and tow caravans effortlessly for miles. If you need or want a proper 4x4 (not an AWD) then you have to be prepared for higher motoring costs. If you are just doing a school run or the ASDA shopping, then buy a car more appropriate.<br /><br />

Update: Collected 17th January 2011. Fault with fuel pump fixed. But 400 miles later the engine light came on again. Back in the garage and this time the fault code diagnosis was for a faulty boost pressure sensor (£18 + 30mins labour + VAT). New one fitted and car collected today (28th Jan). - Hopefully nothing else will go wrong :-) Adrian Clark from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 43626

David Rudd, Durham

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2005

Bought Shogun Sport in 2005 new, has 26,000 miles on clock and have just been told need new injector pump at cost of approx £1700 excl VAT, this is an absolute disgrace. My last Mitsubishi L200 encountered major engine problems, wont be buying Mitsubishi again unless they pay for new injector pump.

The Shogun Sport and L200 with the 1980s 2.5 4d56 engine are very weak due to being overloaded with higher boost pressures and electronic fuel pump gizmos to get more power and fail as a result. I had a Shogun Sport Warrior with 60k on the clock and the diesel pump went, the turbo was knackered and the head cracked within two months! I then bought a 3.0v6 model and converted it to LPG. Very economical and far more comfortable on the motorway where the 2.5td felt like it was struggling above 50mph - Aaron Kay from Cornwall

Submitted: 2011-01-07 | ID: 43630

Karen Bizzell, Kent

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 auto field 2006

I have had my shogun 3.2 auto field from new. I have done 64,000 miles and the automatic transmission has gone. I’ve had terrible trouble trying to get a reconditioned one and have waited over six week for someone to locate one. This has now been found and is costing £2000. I have been informed that this is a common fault on this vehical. I feel let down as I purchased it with a view that if I looked after it I could expect at least 80,000 miles trouble free driving.

They need the auto transmission fluid changing every 28,000 miles. Did you do that? - James Frost from England

Hi, I have a 3.2 DID Automatic 2007, 33000 miles, so far no problems but reading about transmission fluid every 28000 req’s changing which I have not had done myself yet which has started to worry me about the costs! - from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 43652

Hattie, Surrey

Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior 2002

Having done my research on timing chains and engines being flung from cars I decided to get my recently purchased well looked after second hand shogun checked. Car serviced and chain checked for tension etc, away we go. Two days later the transmission switches stop working, replace all 5 of them costing £430. As shown in earlier reviews this is a common fault, brilliant! Two weeks later chain snaps (nice AA man suggests I’m lucky not doing 70mph on motorway). Looking forward to the HUGE bill for a new engine. Guess what? All Mitsubishi dealers in our area are busy until early/mid Jan 2011! Probably busy fixing other utterly useless so called UTILITY vehicles.

Did you have the top chain guide replaced at 30,000 miles? Sounds like the checking garage turned your crank shaft the wrong way while checking, that’s why chain broke because they damaged the chain tensioner - from England

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 43650

Clive Thomas, Surrey

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004

Mitsubishi Shogun 2004 Diesel 3.2 DiD. Purchased new and now in garage again! 87K miles and now needs a new engine. Started with major over heating problem, which turned out to be a recall for the oil pump which was replaced under warranty. 6 months later had to have a new Ali head (Warped) at over £3.5K which was amazingly nothing to do with the major over heating warranty problem. In the snow last year the 4 wheel drive diff got stuck and could not be taken out of drive. I had to wait 4 weeks for a new bit to arrive as apparently everyone had needed one and there was no longer stock in the country. Of course this could not be not a manufacturing fault. Now top end timing belt completely shot and looking at another £3k bill. Rubbish.

Submitted: 2010-11-09 | ID: 43649

Ali Morris, Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 LWB 2008

This is my second shogun owned a SWB for 5 years never had a fault with it fab motor however, the shogun I have now is nice to drive and does the job but has had a few minor faults. The main one I have just noticed is that on each door frame round the window it is starting to rust it is under it’s 3 year warranty & therefore, will be going back next week. Also the drivers seat when taking a sharp corner eg in a car park the seat seem to slide. The garage man said he could not find anything wrong & it was my seat cover!! It is of course going back again. I hope we do no find any more faults with it as the warranty runs out next year.

Submitted: 2010-10-02 | ID: 43646

Michelle Dennis, Kent

Mitsubishi Shogun 2001

Bought in ’07 from main dealer, had nothing but trouble, diesel leak, diff switches replaced all 6 of them, brake calliber replaced as snapped. Now head gaskit blown and needs new engine. All this and a few more, under extended warrenty which i must say fight me to do any repairs, its been in the garage every month this year, I am thinking of doing a calender to advertise its faults. The car has only done 100,000 miles which is nothing on a diesel engine, I need this car due to my equestrian business, but as its been in the garage for the last 3 weeks due to the head gaskit blowing and needs a replacement engine, which the warranty people are refusing to pay the £7000 bill, I feel let down by this car and the warranty and Mitsubishi. I wonder if any body has experianced the same problems?. It’s a shame as I really thought it would be a good workhorse, may look nice but the engine and reliabilty are zero, not only that a very expensive car to repair with so many faults think twice.

Hi, I have a 2004 Shogun with about 87,000 miles on the clock. I love this car but had a catastrophic overheat. I found a company (Federation of Enginer Rebuilders Member) that took me ages to commit to as I know about ’shark’ garages.<br />Anyway, long story short, he rebuilds the engine only to tell me that it’s blown again due to EGR cooler and dipstick recall!<br />He wants me to pay another £3,700 plus VAT! No chance so I’ve contacted Trading Standards and thankfully he has to put it all right for original contract - phew! Check your legal rights before giving your car to any garage - Patricia Downes from Wrexham

Submitted: 2010-09-28 | ID: 43647

John Mark, England

Mitsubishi Shogun SWB Warrior 2010

I’ve only had this car for 8 days and 700 miles. It handles well and is well behaved on motorways and country roads. The downside? It drinks (I’m averaging 27mpg in an automatic). It rattles, particularly the rear parcel shelf (a poor excuse for one) and the leather upolstery, which is fitted in the UK, squeaks. The Kenwood ICE, also UK fitted, is impossible (you need a degree in electronics, and a microcope to see the buttons) and mine doesn’t have a functioning Sat Nav (it seldom aquires satellites). For a ’true offroader" the 4x4 system has been downspecced and the locking rear diff has been omitted. So too has the headlamp wash. The wind noise at speed is intrusive. Shooters buy the LWB or your dogs will have to sit on the seats. The cargo area in the SWB is a joke. I have removed the rear seat headrests so I can see out the back.

27 mpg is not bad for a powerful auto 4x4. I have driven many 4x4’s and I think you may find that fuel mileage will improve after 10k miles when things have loosened up a bit and the fun factor of blasting around has worn off - from England

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 43639

Andy Cunningham, Ireland

Mitsubishi Shogun 2010

It’s the dog’s b..... It’s just in a class of its own!

Submitted: 2010-09-03 | ID: 43641

Joe Hagan, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2.d elegance 2005

Never owned a 4x4 before. I recently traded in my Audi S3 02 plate for a Volvo V50 sport 2.5 turbo d5 engine auto, it had 97 k on the clock and full dealer history. I had it 5 weeks, it was in garage 4 of them, what a crock of sh**e! Got my coin back and bought a Shogun 3.2.d elegance, 54 k, 1 owner, full history; feel like a millionaire, best motor ever. It’s fantastic inside, how can any nugget slag the leather interior? It’s better than the Recaro I had in the Audi. The sound system and sat nav is awesome. It’s good on fuel, love it! The Japanese know what they are doing.<br /><br />

Mitsubish Shogun Elegance 2005. I bought my LWB Shogun Elegance 2 years ago and I cannot tell you how much I loved this 4x4 until now. I ADORED it, however it let me down 3 weeks ago and nobody seems to know what is the matter with it. Mitsubishi are clueless. Felt like an idiot walking through the snow this morning with a broken down 4x4 on the drive and it now looks like this is going to be the most expensive Xmas ever to get it back on the road. I am heartbroken but think I will test drive a Toyota Land Cruiser next time - Alison Bowden from Cheshire

When my Shogun works it’s outstanding. But has had too many problems, all costing fortunes, won’t be getting another one - from England

Submitted: 2010-08-16 | ID: 43632

Chaz Angel, Durham

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 D-I-D Warrior 2006

Car is just gone 4 years old and done 67k miles. It’s had problems with the rear brakes binding on and overheating. The pads have been replaced a couple of times and the disks also. The Scorpion tires seem to last 35k miles and are coming up for replacement again (so that will be another £600-£800 soon). Recently I’d noticed a little oil under it, and a drip hanging on the diff, (as in, not actively dripping, just sat there) but not got around to getting it checked. The diff exploded on the motorway due to overheat due to insufficient oil. First painful lesson - get oil drips checked *very* promptly. Recovery and replace of diff - £400 and £2100 respectively. A full service, another £500. In the time it had been stood awaiting inspection and repair, the battery had failed. Oh and the OSR coil spring was broken. Apparently speed bumps do that. So another couple of hundred. Just got it back from the dealer’s garage, and it won’t shift into 4WD. The wheel lights flash and go out; the diff light flashes orange. Traction control is permantly off. Back to garage, did they even road test it? Apparently this is a common fault, all the gearbox actuator switches are worn and need replacing (another £450). And completely unrelated to the work they have just done. This is a car that has rarely seen 4WD since I figured the fuel consumption was better in 2WD. The worst it’s had to cope with is the odd muddy field/slope and snow/ice on the road. So worn how? You can argue fault over the diff but in the space of a month this car has cost me the thick end of £4k with more to come. Its hardly been overworked and is just 4 years old. It’s certainly not lived up to any "robust" image and I won’t be buying another, I cant afford it!

UPDATE: The garage advised that the oil seals were probably leaking whilst the vehicle was being driven, rather than when stationary, so could have been leaking for a while. There is no warning for low oil in the diff, even though the results are catastrophic. The 4WD issue related to the gearbox/transmission actuators / switches. Apparently these failed due to water ingress and have been replaced with a newer design that come as a block rather than individual switches, with better sealing. Although the design has been upgraded, there is no recall or programme for renewal other than by the owner. On a more positive note, I finally used the 4WD fixed diff (high gear) setting this weekend camping in the Lakes, to ascend a rocky mound overgrown with wet grass, navigating between boulders. Performed perfectly - Chaz Angel from Durham

I was advised when I purchased my Shogun, to regularly (every week or so) put it into the 4WD positions, even if not needed, as they have a tendency to stick with knock on bother. Other owners please note! - from Fife and Kinross Shires

A year on, it’s now done 82k miles. Yet another set of pads and disks and this time a replacement of the sticking calliper. Apparently, this should be £850 but I’m getting it for £450. The OSR spring is broken again (apparently I don’t put enough weight in the back of the car) another £300. Corroded brake pipes £200 (MOT fail); leaking coolant pipe £200 (or your car will seize). Somehow this adds up to £1600 with the service & MOT (I feel the garage are taking advantage) The car has started refusing to go into top gear unless I use the manual shift so I can see a new (reconditioned) gearbox being just a matter of time. All this on a 5 year old car that has rarely seen a muddy field. I will never buy Mitsubishi again. The only plus I have, in the blizzards and deep snow last year, I finally got to use the 4LLc. The road holding was superb. Passing abandoned cars that were just humps in the white-out, it was good to get home safely - Chaz Angel from Durham

Submitted: 2010-08-16 | ID: 43635

Sam Sabate, Northumberland

Mitsubishi Shogun Warrior LWB 2003

This is my second shogun having owned a used 94 LWB 3.0 V6 with a mileage of 149,000-190,000 for five good years before it finally retired due to a broken push rod in one of the cylinders a few years ago. Since then I had a 98 Nissan Patrol 2.8 LWB, a 2005 Discovery 3 2.7 HSE, a 2004 Toyota Landcruiser 3.0 V6 LWB and now my 2003 Mitsubishi Shogun LWB 3.2 DI-D Warrior. I love this car because it not only look good it is generously equipped as well. I particularly love its auto box for its smooth operation and the fact that you can shift from auto to manual because it has a sport mode feature similar to high-end sport cars/SUVs. You can also engage four wheel drive on the fly just by simply engaging the lever, even when your doing 70 mph. This car has the largest engine in its class having 3.2 litres when most 4x4 in this range has only 2.7-3.0, which is very anaemic by 4x4 standards (Disco). Another thing I love with this car is the ability to accommodate 7 people (which is a must for me having 5 kids) with the rear seats can be folded unto the floor when not needed. Fuel consumption is just average compared to all the 4x4 I have owned with the exception of the Disco, which guzzled fuel more than a tank. The only drawback I have with this car is the suspension on the rear (independent suspension) of which I have noticed is bound to sag when moving 7 passengers all the time, a thing which my previous Toyota and Nissan were more capable of in this area because of their solid axle on the rear which translates to good load carrying capabilities. I also like the visibility this car offers in relation to the driver and the road, a fact my wife learnt to appreciate having passed her driving test with this big 4x4 when she refused to drive the likes of the Patrol. As all cars suffers from minor to major hiccups my shogun had suffered an Engine oil leak but was quickly fixed when the oil pressure switch was replaced. Initially experienced vibration from the steering wheel when doing 60 mph but disappears at 70 mph or 50 mph which was strange at that time but was gone when I fitted wheel spacers to all four wheel hubs. The only existing problem I have at the moment is when starting up cold in the morning, the engine sometimes won’t fire up, which at first was thought to be a flat battery but after this was changed the problem was still there this was soon resolved by engaging the auto box (sliding the lever from park -drive-park) before switching on again. My Shogun isn’t perfect but it does the job and it has never bothered me one bit. It faithfully abides whatever its owners ask it to do whether going camping with 2 adults+5 kids+1 dog and a gigantic roof box + a Canadian canoe going Mt. climbing on the lake district to the lovely Aberdaron in Wales, miles after miles it has been going strong thanks to bullet proof Japanese technology and Mitsubishi. I would definitely recommend it to anyone contemplating of getting one it’s a lot of car for the money of just go for Japanese build quality for that matter and you will not go wrong.

Hi, I’m interested to know what you did with the Landcruiser? - Josh Thomas from Australia

Submitted: 2010-07-18 | ID: 43642

James Frost, Buckinghamshire

Mitsubishi Shogun Field 2005

I have 2005 Field and 2006 Elegance LWB autos. If you go off road ditch the road tyres and get some General Grabber AT2. I got stuck on a flat grass field with the road tyres. The traction control is amazing on these Shoguns I have pulled several 4WD pickups out of fields with it. I use the Field everday on road and off road and it is the most comfortable car I have ever been in. I have been in every 4 WD made except a Hummer and the Shogun is as good as the best. Having read the reviews on here I’m going to have a look at the timing chain. Also parts are really expensive, fog light £170, rear door handle £80 wife was rammed by a wheely bin. Also I have fitted an aluminium grill behind the bumper to match the other grills to keep the bugs/grass seeds out.<br /><br />

James, you seem to have a lot of knowledge about the Shogun. Is this acquired from experience or can anyone find out this kind of info? - Alison Bailey from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 43644

Mac Pritchard, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 did classic 2002

Bought the Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 did classic in 2006. Right from purchase had problems with juddering when cruising. Been in to dealer numerous times. Had throttle valve solenoid replaced, new clutch and new flywheel after it "shattered". Currently been in garage for three weeks with problem with diesel pump. Now told needs replacement main engine block!!!!!

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 43613

Bob Coulton, Nottinghamshire

Mitsubishi Shogun elegance 2008

Have not had any problems yet and can only praise the car really. My wife uses the Shogun to tow a Ifor Williams 510 (and horse of 16.3 hands), which it does easily. I cannot fault the comfort either as I do hundreds of miles at a time and never feel tired. It is also fairly good on diesel, which is surprising for the size of the engine. All in all, so far so good and hopefully look forward to a new model soon.

Submitted: 2010-05-23 | ID: 43614

Colin Bell, Lancashire

Mitsubishi Shogun Equipe 2003

Purchase 6 months old, travelled everywhere with a Caravan on back (twin axle) done 109,000 served according to manufacture. Still original battery exhaust. replaced Front Disks and heater pipe to back only. Never broke down. Trading in now for the new model.

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 43615

Paul, Lancashire

Mitsubishi Shogun SWB For Work 2008

Absolutely brilliant vehicle, bought after owning four Isuzu Troopers, the Shogun is a better vehicle in every way but is not economical when pushed. Superb in the snow, could not have kept my business going without it this winter, nothing has gone wrong with the vehicle and I will definitely be getting another.

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 43616

Kerm, Northern Ireland

Mitsubishi Shogun SWB Equippe 2003

Wiper linkage snapped on my 2003 SWB also in January. When I rang Mitsibushi they advised me to get one from a breakers yard. Problem was nobody had them.

How much did YOU pay for replacement if you don’t mind me asking?? - from Northern Ireland

I repaired a friends wiper linkage on a 01 SWB Shogun when it popped off the ball end by drilling a small hole through the end and into the metal ball and put in a nice self tapping screw. Thats over 2 years ago and still working - from County Tyrone

Submitted: 2010-03-20 | ID: 43617

Peter, Surrey

Mitsubishi Shogun LWB Equippe Diesel Auto 2004

Let me down for the first time this week since purchase new in Nov 2003. Battery failed first (not bad after over 6 years and 75000 miles) and now the windscreen wiper linkage has broken. Very frustrating that when you need a 4x4 its off the road because you cant see through the windscreen! Otherwise great car, have lugged four people and camping gear through Europe with no problems. Hopefully extended warranty will cover any of the issues highlighted by others.

Submitted: 2010-01-12 | ID: 43612

R Owen, Gwynedd

Mitsubishi Shogun 2009

What a load of C**P. Have owned a Nissan Teranno before the Shogun and being a farmer/forestry worker I need a vehicle that will tackle both jobs. I have realised how useless and c**p the Shogun is when it comes to off road/snow. I would not recommend the shogun to any one needing to work in these situations.

With the standard road tyres I got stuck on grass. Fitted General Graber AT2 and it goes better on the farm than any other make of 4x4 I have had to tow out. Don’t blame the Shogun, blame the rubbish show room tyres - from England

I ran a lwb Ford Maverick on 96 plate for 4 and a half years with no problems. I just got a 98 Shogun and spent 500 quid in the last 2 weeks. They’re not a patch on Mavericks, ie Terranos - Robert Peake from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-01-03 | ID: 43609

Richard Prenter, England

Mitsubishi Shogun DID Eligance 2003

I had the same experience as Daine Halliwell above, at about 90,000 miles the timing chain snapped and lunched the whole engine, second hand replacement and fitting Ł3,000. Colt didn’t want to know and sent me to the dealer. The dealer had done a valve adjustment 14,000 prior to the failure so also didn’t want to know. I wrote to the CEO of MMUK, (who now own Colt), describing at least 10 cases I had found on the internet all over the world (these are just some of the ones that can be bothered to go on-line), some from Mitsubishi Service engineers included, stating that this is a known fault. MMUK denied that there was a problem, however, admitted some years ago to instructing dealers to check the guide at each service. I asked 2 dealers if they did this, and they confirmed ’no’, and they have never had this instruction, only a letter advising to watch out for it. According to one mechanic on-line, you need to replace the guide yourself at least every 30,000 miles as the plastic gets brittle and breaks off dropping down into the timing gear and chain, breaking the chain. Hard to give a good rating to an otherwise great truck that is let down by engines that fail, through a simple fault, when the UK Corporate Head Office and dealerships are more interested in profit than protecting their brand and lookig after the customer. Caveat Emptor!

Hi Richard, sorry to hear you have had the same experience as us, not pleasant from a so called luxury car. We did have the engine repaired, all top end done cost 2,000 plus pounds now at 59,000 miles the bottom pulley has broken and I’m looking at maybe another 1,000 pounds to sort out, this is all in the space of less than 6 months. If the car was an old banger I would have scrapped it by now. Another thing, the windscreen wiper linkage snaps like a piece of string in cold weathe, ours has and a friend with the same car has done the same. When you ring Mitsubishi up they usually giggle and say its a common fault that bit of metal will be a hundred and fifty pound. Hopefully these reviews will help people to decide to not spend there money on these cars any more ,what was once a good solid reliable 4x4 brand are now just a former shadow of themselves, the engines are not up to the job and we as the buyers are suffering but Mitsubishi should remember the internet is a powerful communications media and if we can save one person buying thier cars, they have lost out. Little consolation to us who are lumbered with them. I have wrote to Mitsubishi about there scrappage scheme asking what my 03 shogun’s worth i,m still waiting on a reply on the plus side the car made a great fridge for my beer over the xmas in this cold weather. If i didnt laugh I’d cry - Diane Halliwell from Durham

I was just about to purchase a 3.5 Shogun. Luckily I use the internet to do a little research before i purchase. I am sorry for the people that have had engine failures, but, hopefully you will see that your post’s are working. MITSUBISHI TAKE NOTE, NEARLY EVERY HOUSE HAS A COMPUTER, WORD TRAVELS FAST, YOU HAVE JUST LOST A CUSTOMER. BE ASSURED YOU WILL LOSE MANY MORE UNTIL YOU GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER - ANOTHER LOST CUSTOMER from Leicestershire

I have had a Pajero 3.5 Petrol for many years now, was going to buy a 2007 3.2 Equippe manual diesel but reading all the posts on here is making me doubt myself. You’re right, news travels - Alison Bailey from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 43595

Neil Smith, Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun equippe 2009

A brilliant motor, I’ve been out in the snow and it did everything asked of it and more, can’t fault the big diesel.

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 43608

Mark Lacey, Berkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2006

Replaced our 52 shogun with newer model.Few annoying problems- auto box rather eratic, not very smooth. Biggest problem is off road capability with Dunlop AT/20 tyres-useless. Fitted with standard 18’’ rims and cannot find an off road tyre to fit- BF Goodrich don’t do them so we now have to keep on the road which defeats reason for buying vehicle!!

General grabber AT2 - Gareth Smith from Norfolk

Hi Mark, please tell me what size general grabber tyres you used and I have been trying to find for a long time with no success, I also have 18" rims-285/55/18. I was told by my local tyre company that they would rub the inner arches. Any help will be good as the Pirelli Scorpions are cr*p and I just don’t like them. Cheers - John Roberts from Devon

Hi. I’ve just got a 2011 Shogun 5 door LG4. It arrived just in time for the heavy snow. The Shogun is brilliant, comfortable, really well equipped and it has a rugged presence on the road. Any tips on which Dif lock modes to use in snow and ice would be great, the manual is a bit vague - Ricky Gee from England

Submitted: 2009-12-16 | ID: 43604

Dave Howkins, Leicestershire

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 di-d lwb auto 2008

I bought my car from the Leicester Showroom as an ex-demonstrator with full warranty in April 09. Only had 9931 miles on the clock but had problems right from the start. The dealer has had the car back now 9 times since I identified fault. Apparently the breather tube for the map sensor blocks with carbon and starts to stall the car over time. Mitsubishi have now found that the pipe is in the wrong position on the manifold so have change a lot of pipes and part of the manifold. The MPG is no where near the advertised for the car and they have said, quote: "only one car on the production line is tested as being representative of the model and may therefore produce a better or worse result than another similar vehicle." So if you’re lucky you could get a good car, if not a very bad example but they are not willing to deal with it any further. Other faults also apearing on car, so stear clear of them.

We have a 3.2 did for work 54 plate shogun. Over time this truck is progressively getting worse with intermittent stalling problems (when pulling away). Then sometimes needs a lot of cranking to start. In morning can start ok though we have changed egr valve and timing chain tensioner - no difference - have seen someone posting about a map sensor that blocks with carbon??? would like to know more about that - from England

UPDATE: 3.2 2008 did Elegance. Well it’s now June 2010 27000 miles in and the car is back at a dealership again, 11th time now. Leicester one closed now! Rear brakes still come on when driving and 3rd set of rear pads now fitted. Apparently only 30% worn on the fronts though. Mitsubishi still say there is not a problem with this car. We all need to get together to deal with this companies dismissive behaviour! Still stear clear of them. These pages regarding the faults are getting longer and longer. At least Toyota took ownership of their problems! - Dave Howkins from Leicestershire

Hi, did you get the problem solved with your car stalling and getting progressively worse? I have the same problem with mine - David Fraser from Aberdeenshire

I had a 2008 LWB shogun & had to sell it as I couldn’t cope anymore with the garage visits and the breakdowns - Alison Dickinson from England

Submitted: 2009-12-11 | ID: 43599

June George, Neath Port Talbot

Mitsubishi Shogun 1.9 Estate 2004

I bought a 2004 1.9 petrol Vitara in July 2007, as I was very impressed with my daughter’s 1993 JLX model. My Vitara was very reliable, and extremely comfortable, although rather expensive to keep on the road. I averaged 36mpg on motorway driving, travelling at 60mph. I reluctantly part exchanged it a few weeks ago for a more economical vehicle.

Submitted: 2009-11-16 | ID: 43594

Ian Scott, Nottinghamshire

Mitsubishi Shogun swb 3.0 v6 2006

An exellent looking vehicle I’d previously owned a pajero exceed diesel then found this one going cheap with a private plate so bought it. So far so good.. It came with a brand new mot and no advisory issues and seems ok, however, there is a small water leak somewhere on the windscreen seal above rear view mirror. Not much to complain for what i paid, lets hope the car keeps going.

Submitted: 2009-11-16 | ID: 43593

David Thomas, Bridgend

Mitsubishi Shogun Sport 2004

I purchased this vehicle in 2005, in 2009 with 34,000 on the clock, the front discs failed, in that they warped, has any other owner had a similar problem? As expected Mitsubishi deny any problems or recall in relation to this siuation. Their Customer Service Advisor states, and I quote. " I do not feel that we supply or sell defective components. This vehicle has been subject to 1 recall."

My 2002 Shogun Sport has only 37k miles on the clock yet has been showing signs of warped discs for over the last 15k miles. It has passed several MOTs without comment. I can feel the brakes pulsing throught the pedal but otherwise the brakes seem OK. Eventually, I’ll change the discs, which I’ve discovered are not expensive - Nick Nicholson from London

I have had 2 Shoguns where front disks have warped. 1st one at 26,000 & 2nd at 67,000 miles. Common fault due to overheating. Second change, replacements (not Misubishi) failed within 200 miles. Second replacement OK. Disks are about £70 - Brian Mckay from Kent

Try NBC Brakes (Google it). These are British made and do all specs from standard road to full race spec. They also do extra heavy duty for large 4x4. These brakes are the best in the business at half Mitsubishi prices - John A from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2009-10-27 | ID: 43589

Chris Heathcote, Leicestershire

Mitsubishi Shogun swb 1999 3L 24v GLS 1999

The Shogun is brilliant on wet & dry roads - it sticks like glue.

Submitted: 2009-07-02 | ID: 43676

Michael Edward, Nottinghamshire

Mitsubishi Shogun gls 1993

I bought this shogun for two reasons. One, I always wanted one and Two, the fact that I needed the seating required for the kids. It’s been an interesting purchase over the time I’ve owned it; I have replaced some service items - balance belt etc, but found that I have had some serious welding to do. It’s fabulous off-road, very stable but it feels that on road the gearing could do with an improvement, ie the final gear is rubbish. I would of thought that 60mph at 3,000 rpm is bad, thought it would be better at say 2,000 rpm thereby saving fuel and noise. Overall it’s been good and would buy another one without hesitation.

I’ve had a 1993 3.0 V6 GLS LWB for over a year now, and while the mpg is not fantastic with the autobox, this is a great car for the winter, living on a farm off the beaten track. It has proven to be 100% reliable (so far it has needed the sealing washer on the petrol tank drain replaced!!) The chassis is rock solid, it has obviously been well looked after during its life. I have power washed the chassis, wire brushed it and waxoyled it. Going to keep it forever! (esp when I read the reports and faults of the more modern 3.2 DID!) I have an "ordinary" car for the summer (diesel xantia HDI) and a little Renault cabriolet for the sunny days. All in all, my three cheap cars are fantastic; I can repair and maintain them relatively easily, and don’t need a degree in computing to keep them on the road - Jim Gilliland from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 43674

John Kelly, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.0L td 1996

Hi, I have a 1996 Shogun it is the best car. A lot better than a s****y old Land Rover or Toyota Hilux, it will go anywhere. It has a 3.0L td and does 0 to 60 in 6.6 secs with no super charger! And it has a chrome bull-bar, so Shogun lovers buy a 1996 shogun!

6.6s eh? You using an egg-timer to measure that? - from Berkshire

Ho ho John, know any more good ones? 6.6s... The 1996 2.8TD we owned (same car twice, sold it and bought it back) proved very reliable in the 2 years we owned it and the wife loved it. No major problems with it at all. Thinking of buying a later model now around 02\03 reg but slightly put off by reports on here. Hmmm... - from Lancashire

0-60 in 6.6 seconds? You’re having a laugh - from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2009-05-26 | ID: 43677

Antony Dala, Cheshire

Mitsubishi Shogun equippe lwb 2005

After 75,000 miles and nearly four years towing many of those round the country as a horse transporter this has been 99.9% reliable. Only the alarm fob needed replacing after 3 1/2 years. OK, its a bit wallowy compared to the newest model but no sore back (which I am prone to) on 600mile round trips. Very short 1st gear is so good when towing. Off road my lwb is as good as my old swb Terrano (much more comfy though). Mud, rock crawling etc and ground clearance deceptively good though the tow bar, as with any car can catch at approach and departure points on the steeper inclines. 4x4 system works better than anything I have used off road. Only negative, a bit bland but nothing comes close at this price and pulls 3.3 tonnes. Show me another SUV (Pathfinder, most of the new pick ups, Kia etc) that can legally tow a fully laden Ifor Williams 505 or 510 horse trailer (except disco / defender) at just short of 2.9 tonnes and no road cars. Am about to buy my second Shogun in auto this time.

Submitted: 2009-05-01 | ID: 43681

Diane Halliwell, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2did elegance 2003

I did not have a bad word for this car until it had reached 51,000 miles. The guide the chain runs through has also twisted and snapped as it is made of plastic and it has completely wrecked the engine. I have looked after my vehicle, serviced it regularly and now have a nice looking car with a completely shattered engine due to the fact the tensioner designed to hold the timing chain taught has in fact snapped and dropped into the timing chain. Mitsubishi want no part off looking into this problem, which at 51,000 miles is a bitter pill to swallow. The cost of repair is running beyond £2,000 - you have been warned, this has happened to other people as well.

The timing chain snapped, repaired it costing over £2000, it’s been a nightmare - Steve X March from England

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 43682

John Man, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 1996

I think the Shogun is the best car made - no problems ever.

I’m sure Rolls Royce might beg to differ! - Stuart Armstrong from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 2009-02-09 | ID: 43684

Mike D Ambrosio, Yorkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun Field 2005

Not had a problem with gearbox but rear drive shaft popped from iol seal. It seems there’s stress on the circlip that holds in the seal and drive shaft with the consequence of loosing all the oil from the dif. causing damage to gears in the dif. any body out there had similar. My warranty ran out last year not got bill for repairs yet. Hoping Mitsubishi will see this as manufacturing fault and repair under warranty. Other than this, really love the beast best motor I’ve had.

Re your diff seal problem; You should do a google search on pajero companion seals...in Australia. Have a look at the Pajero club of victoria forums too . I believe Mitsubishi Motors Aust are replacing this rear diff seal (a change to a better design late 2005) as a warranty fix if it is asked for - John Croker from Australia

I have the same problem with my 2003 Field, what did you have to do to rectify it? As I understand it, I need to have drive and companion shafts replaced, but have also heard about fitting modified circlips, which would certainly be a much cheaper repair. I don’t want to go down the circlip route if it won’t hold up though, especially as I tow a caravan - Patrick Frick from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2009-02-05 | ID: 43686

Keith Hilsdon, Northamptonshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 Elegance LWB 2003

I have had the same problem of overheating when towing and changed the main radiator which fixed the problem. It seems they are not man enough on the automatics as a friend had the same problem on 1999 2.8 and changing the radiator fixed this as well. I had a 1998 2.8 manual before and never had this problem, have been in touch with Mitsubishi UK about this but they do not want to know.

Submitted: 2008-11-18 | ID: 43672

Andrew Mildren, Suffolk

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 Elegance 2004

I’ve had Shoguns since 1994 (this is my 4th) and never a problem with towing until this one that we’ve had from new. It overheats after about 60 miles and was recalled in 2006 for overheating. I had the recall work done but it still overheats at about 90 miles. After sales is rubbish as no dealer wants to know. Now going to chop it in for a Toyota Invincible - what a shame as my wife and I love the Shoguns but I think its bad design in the new engine. If any one knows the answer I would be grateful.

Submitted: 2008-07-16 | ID: 43673

Mike Hedges, Hampshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2005

I had the same problem with our Shogun Field, also a 05 and was told the same thing. I also had intermittent problem with oil warning light coming on and told ’no known problem like this’ and then got a recall notice to attend to problem!! I agree that after sales care is not that brilliant.

Had my Shogun for 3 months when I went to get filters of Mitsubishi and was told about this recall... The oil level switch in the sump is too high and needs more oil to keep it out so they put in a new dip stick with the max mark higher up the stick... - from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 2008-02-19 | ID: 43668

Andrew Lowrie, Berkshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 DiD Elegance 2004

I bought this to replace a Chrysler Grand Voyager as the family wagon (two adults, three grown kids, two dogs and family holidays around Europe with roofbox/trailer and five full-sized bikes!) - not an easy job. The Shogun had a couple of teething problems which were resolved by adequate dealer. The equipment is good and durable, it’s quiet, comfortable, well equipped and remarkably economical when loaded on long trips (less so if you use it for Tesco run...) and a lot more stable and safer than a Grand Voyager! Mitsubishi Assist program (�15/yr for European recovery etc) is fantastic value and service was amazing only time I used it. I have recommended Shogun to one friend and my father so far - so I must like it.

..update on last report. After another two years of ownership - mileage creeping close to 35k (yes ... that low!) Shogun is proving lot less robust than it originally appeared. Every six months I need to visit garage to get the drive belts tightened - screeching away every time it gets damp. Fan squeaks away on low setting (dashboard out job?) and the external bodykit (wheelarches and bottom of door) started peeling off in sunshine in France! All held on with just double-sided sticky tape (a £36k car!). Starting to get concerned as I’m reaching end of warranty and the number of reports of timing chain failure started me thinking about going back to Jeep/Chrysler - sad state of affairs when a US built car is MORE reliable than Japanese - Andrew Lowrie from Berkshire

Submitted: 2008-01-25 | ID: 43666

Scott Gibson, Scotland

Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2 did equipe 2002

Great car but I have had a problem with autobox select drive in morning. The stick feels spongey and very reluctent to pull away when it does fine for the rest of the day after warm up. Been in local Mitsibushi dealer for 2 days and they don’t have a clue. Any help please email - scottgibson76[at]blueyonder[dot]co[dot]uk - I’m losing hope.

I have the same problem, does anyone know the reason for this? Mail me - daveeasltd[at]aol[dot]com thanks - Dave Lowe from Lancashire

Submitted: 2007-11-19 | ID: 43664

Adrian Brown, England

Mitsubishi Shogun 2006

Most surprising element was the fuel economy of the 3.2 diesel engine. I expected it to do far less per litre. On road this is avery smooth ride, easily manouverable despite its apparant size. In ice/snow the 4 wheel drive performs very well and control is easily kept. Off road in low and very low drive this vehicle needs off road tyres. On general off road, grass damp surfaces it performs well. Once the mud starts to depen it gets more difficult without the all terain tyres. With them it drives, even when i sunk it to the axles.... not on purpose of course. The all leather interior was comfortable and the driving controls are well placed and easy to reach and use.

Submitted: 2007-11-13 | ID: 43671

Andy Jones, Hampshire

Mitsubishi Shogun 2007

Own Shogun Field, have problem with gearbox locking intermittently. Told by local dealer and Colt cars that if fault not seen by garage than no further investigation will be undertaken until vehicle breaks down. Car is 05 and still under warranty. Have been very pleased with Shogun up to now but would not consider buying another one due to after sales service.

Submitted: 2007-08-24 | ID: 43670

• A response has been made to Bruce (23/08/2014 08:45:18)
  • A response has been made to Paul Tustain (23/08/2014 08:37:41)

• "3.2 dd shogun engine quite "rattles" for first few miles until warmed up then reasonably quiet. Could this be the top chain tensioner needs replacin..." (Stuart, 21/12/2014 14:46:40)
  • "Hi, I have a 2005 (55 plate) Shogun 3.2 did elegance. When I start it from cold after sitting for several hours, it belches out white smoke for aroun..." (david thomson, 18/12/2014 22:11:18)
  • "I can't work the rear door windows via the switches but the motors are good and work when you take a direct feed from the battery to the door motors...." (Ken jennings, 14/12/2014 14:06:34)
  • "I have a mitsubishi pajero 2.8 automatic diesel. When you sit at a junction in drive then go to pull away it has no power and a lound clicking noise ..." (sam cranshaw, 02/12/2014 11:00:40)
  • "Hi guys can anybody possibly shine some light on this problem.......centre display unit has stopped working (is just a black screen) radio wont tune ..." (Stuart, 29/11/2014 13:52:05)

• ian Pippen's question has been answered: "Hello again Steve. Thought I'd just let you know, today I took the shogun to Aberystwyth. I filled up with fuel until I could see the diesel right up - ian Pippen from Caerphilly' '..." (14/12/2014 00:32:17)
  • clive's question has been answered: "No you do not need a gasket to refit AC compressor to the engine but you will need to visit a specialist to take the refrigerant gas out of the system - pete from Wiltshire' '..." (27/11/2014 17:10:51)

Vauxhall Antara