Mini Cooper consumer car reviews and road tests

Mini Cooper

Mini Cooper consumer reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2007 2008 2010

Mini Cooper consumer car reviews

Teresa Mahon, Ireland

Mini Cooper 2008

A cooling system failure at 100k destroyed the engine!

Submitted: 2012-12-02 | ID: 43393

Graham, Scotland

Mini Cooper 2005

I’ve had this wee car for 5 years now, to be honest it was just an "itch" I needed to scratch and I fully expected to be selling it on after a few months. So, how have the 5 years been? This year’s MOT was the first where the car needed any work (exhaust and rear discs/pads) and apart from the servicing, most of which was covered by the TLC pack, and tyres the car has really needed nothing. It’s not been perfect though; as it approaches 70k a few rattles and squeaks are starting to appear, and the interior trim (seats, door trims etc) is looking decidedly shabby and certainly not up to the standard I’d expect from a BMW group car. Would I buy another? I’m not sure, the newer post-06 cars appear to be plagued with issues and the pre-06 cars are getting long in the tooth, so perhaps I’ll just tick it off as "itch scratched" and move on....... Or maybe not ;)

Submitted: 2012-10-15 | ID: 43394

Adrian Johnston, County Antrim

Mini Cooper 2010

My wife bought a 2010 model with 7000 miles and paid £11500. They are very plain looking so I ordered the jcw aero kit at £1500 and fitted it myself, which only took 2 hours, no problem. The BMW garage was asking £500 to do the job. First job was to get the run flat tyres off as they make the ride so harsh and road noise unbearable, I fitted 18" Khan wheels with 35 profiles, which should have been even worse in theory than run flats, but they were a dream to drive on; run flat tyres just ruin the car. Bmw Mini are very over priced for what you get, you would be better going for a 3-series to be honest. The good point is the fuel as it’s getting 45-50 mpg.

Submitted: 2012-06-17 | ID: 43395

Roger Wood, Warwickshire

Mini Cooper Pepper 2010

I bought one for my wife and it really looks the part, pepper white with leather seats, sun roof and dark rear windows, however, on the road it is a different matter. The switches are impossible to differentiate, the turn indicators frequently do not cancel and they are difficult to turn off. The computer switch button on the indicator stalk controls every thing and it is necessary to study the hand book (which is not clear) to change settings. The stalk is too short and it is only too easy to change to an unwanted setting when operating the indicators. Body work gaps are appalling; I thought ours had been in a pre sale shunt until I inspected others at the dealership. Fuel consumption is never above 36mpg. If you want a stylish vehicle for rushing about town ok, but it is not a car you can get addicted to. BMW now use the same indicator system on the 3 series, so I bought a Merc instead.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 43396

R Turner, Hampshire

Mini Cooper 2003

Very good fun to drive.

Submitted: 2011-04-12 | ID: 43391

Jim, Hampshire

Mini Cooper 2008

We recently purchased a BMW Mini Cooper 2008 model with 26K on the clock. Great little car and fun to drive. However, last week we took it on a run from Southampton to Chester and found the great little car very hard to the point of painful. We got to Chester both of us with back ache due to the shock transmission from the road. Obviously this is a sporty car with sport suspension but now they have added run flat tyres, this has tipped the balance from sporty fun to painful. If we had known how uncomfortable this was to drive we would have got something else.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-10-19 | ID: 43392

Matt, England

Mini Cooper 2007

What a waste of £15,000!! For a start alarm bells should have rung when I had to add nearly £2,000 to get some equipment on it (air-con etc). In and out of the dealers monthly for build quality and engine problems (the car actually cut out on me for no apparent reason). Did 35,000 miles in it in just under 18 months then just simply had enough and sold it. On the plus side it was fast(ish), handled well and it was economical (50mpg). The car also had a good wash and vacuum every time it came back from the dealer. Would not recommend at all!! The worst car I have ever owned.

Submitted: 2009-04-20 | ID: 43405

Jane Biscoe, Suffolk

Mini Cooper 2001

I have had my car for approx 6 months now and although an older model it has done very few miles. However the problems have started with airbag light, intermittent fault with indicator, trim popping off of seats. Should I sell it now????

Submitted: 2009-02-27 | ID: 43404

Paul, Surrey

Mini Cooper 2002

Sorry to hear about the clutch / gearbox issue; most likely your dealer didn’t notify you on the massive recall (some 50-60,000 cars) concerning the 2002 Minis. The recall was due to gearboxes issues (’stickiness’ between 1st and 2nd gear, most likely to affect you if driving a lot in slow traffic. I had experienced this issue myself...

Submitted: 2008-09-12 | ID: 43402

Sarah Benchall, England

Mini Cooper 1.6 Cooper 2007

If I was asked to design the car that I really, really wanted then I think it would look almost identical to the Mini Cooper. I’ve always loved the style of the Mini, it is an icon and quintessentially British. I picked up a brand new 1.6 Cooper for exactly £12,500 and I think that I have an absolute bargain. The Cooper looks good from the outside but it was when I first sat in the cabin that it really took my breath away, the large switches are just perfect and the choice of ambient lighting for the dashboard is customisable, a beautiful touch that allows you to make the Mini uniquely yours. The acceleration is quick (1-60 in about 10 seconds) and the top speed of 126mph is 30mph more than I need. Good fuel economy (approximately 50mpg), great looks plus supreme performance make the new Mini Cooper a winner, BMW have thankfully improved upon the previous model while leaving everything that makes the Mini British firmly in place.

Submitted: 2008-04-30 | ID: 43403

Nicky Evans, London

Mini Cooper 2002

I LOVE the styling of the mini both inside and out. It is comfortable and distinctive and ticks every box for me as far as design goes.... Why the poor star rating? Reliability, or lack of to be more acurate. A CATALOGUE OF FAULTS. Before the car was two years old and with only 24,000 miles on the clock it needed a new gear box and clutch. It has had its power steering replaced twice, the tracking went, the airbag light continually keeps coming on and needing to be reset... adn as the other reviewer stated, at every service something needs to be repaired or replaced. The customer service from BMW/Mini and the dealershiphave been appalling. All in all, this car is a real lemon. If you are thinking about this car, DON’T DO IT! Sense over vanity!

Submitted: 2007-11-26 | ID: 43397

B J, Staffordshire

Mini Cooper Cooper 2004

I have owned this car since 2004. I do like it and this model is an automatic with every extra you can think of. BUT, everytime it goes in for service they manage to find something wrong. I have had new tyres when it was only 18months old and had done 11,000 miles plus new discs and a bolt costing £75, something to do with one of the wheels. So far I have had 2 sets of tyres. The last time I took it in when something was wrong with the stereo it coat over £600 to relace, the ariel alone was £19,00 for the part £200 to fit it. Scandalas. And they found that there was a problem with the power steering and tried to get me to pay over £1300 to put it right, until I told them I was taking it for a second opinion some where else, they then said Mini was going to pay for the repair. So it is going.

Submitted: 2007-11-19 | ID: 43398

John Doolan, Lancashire

Mini Cooper 1.6 2007

A great buyers package persuaded me to go for the Cooper, especially when the TLC pack is included, giving you your first 5 yrs servicing for a pittance! The car itself is nippy and spirited with sharp handling and a great engine, although the firm ride will not be to everybodies taste.

Submitted: 2007-09-25 | ID: 43399

Michael Shepherd, Middlesex

Mini Cooper 1.6 2007

I hate this car, too heavy on petrol, quite heavy steering, no boot space to speak of, only 2 seat belts in the back. If you are single and never want passengers, then this is the car for you, if like me you have friends, don't get one.

Submitted: 2007-08-23 | ID: 43401

Rachel Wilson, Lancashire

Mini Cooper Mini Cooper 1.6 2007

I love this car! It looks fantastic and the drive is superb. It’s reasonable to run, nippy about town and just pure fun on long distance drives. A really, really great car.

Submitted: 2007-08-09 | ID: 43400