Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate consumer car reviews and road tests

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate consumer reviews by year of make:2002 2004 2007 2008 2009 2010

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate consumer car reviews

Hugh Austwick, Monmouthshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C250 2010

Really dissapointed with my C250. The car is generally nice to drive with impressive torque, but it has been plagued with faults. The car has an intermittent misfire, which gets worse in warm conditions. I have has Mercedes breakdown out 3 times and have raised the issue at every service, but to date I am continuosly told that no fault can be found. Other failures have been loss of coolant, seat electrics failing and an intermittent alarm fault, which again cannot be found. I now sleep with the spare key in the bedside drawer, so that I can turn it off without having to get up. Back to Audi I am afraid for my next car.

Submitted: 2012-06-04 | ID: 42913

Jonathan Russell, Oxfordshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate 220cdi Avantgarde 2007

My car was bought as an ex-management car with 4500 miles on the clock and all the toys, but with a huge discount, but it would have been expensive at half the price. Ok a little has actually gone wrong with it, but under warranty and it has now done 100K miles. I was back to the garage constantly because the fuel economy was so bad, matched only by its thirst for oil and uneven tyre wear. The car itself is pretty useless in that it is noisy, uncomfortable and basically small. It is also very uninspiring to drive. Over the 95K miles I have had it the mpg has averaged less than 35. I do virtually no town driving mostly open A and B roads and usually I get better than quoted mpg out of cars; when given petrol equivalents on loan whilst mine was being investigated I got just under 40mpg! Mercedes eventual response was to agree mine was not very good, but was within manufacturers tolerances. With regards to the tyre wear they said they could’t find anything wrong. Independantly I had the car re-tested; all wheel geometry was way out and actually adjustment was either not possible or where it was only just achieved getting close to where it should be. Rear tyres remove inner edges after 5000 miles. I have now discovered that on the Merc sports suspension,, which mine has they don’t adjust the rear camber angles, which the lowered suspension needs and this is apparently a common problem. I hate this car with a vengance and as and when I change it I will go no where near a Mercedes again!

Submitted: 2012-01-24 | ID: 42915

Michael Schilling, Australia

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C220 CDI Blue Efficiency Estate 2010

A great car to drive with sufficient power, good fuel economy and comfortable front seats. It would benefit from a park assist system as a standard item. The only gripe is the different sized alloys; tyres should be the same all-round, preferably 225x45x17, at least for this car. This gives a more comfortable ride and be less expensive as tyres can be rotated.

Submitted: 2012-01-09 | ID: 42914

Dave, Surrey

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate 220 CDI Estate 2002

I had ’52 plate Mercedes 220. I liked the car, it was comfortable, handled well, was quiet, and often topped 40mpg. However, it has to be one of the most unreliable cars I have ever had! It was beset with electrical faults, and went backwards and forwards to the dealer like it was on a piece of elastic! Three out of the four injectors failed at £300 a shot! The car was three years old when I got it with 38,000 on the clock; one owner, full history. I got rid of it at 70,000 and vowed never to have a Mercedes again. Even the local Mercedes dealer felt sorry for me, and we’re at a loss as to why it was so much trouble!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-11-02 | ID: 42916

Ian Robinson, Essex

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate c350 cdi Estate Sport Blue Efficiency 2010

I bought my car as a 3 month old Mercedes management car. It came fully loaded with all the toys one could need at a very substantial discount on the list price. In truth, I really wanted to replace my Jaguar S type with the new XF, but, being practical, a mid size estate is the car I actually need. The C class estate ticked all of the selection criteria. I have owned the car for 7 months and I have logged 9000 miles. I am very impressed. The only problem I have had was when a local vandal nicked the "gunsight" emblem. It is well built and the ride is comfortable. The engine sounds a tadge argricultural (compared with my old S type) when just started, but soon quietens. The faster you go the quieter the cabin seems to get. If you want to play the 7 speed paddle gear change works very well allied to what is a powerful engine. Driven more conservatively the car will easily return over 40 mpg. Load carrying is good and fulfils my expectations. The powered tailgate is a dream. My only niggle with the car is an inability to start from 2nd gear in snow. There is a safety override on the paddle gear change that stops the driver selecting inappropriate gears. Mercedes have decided that you can only start in 1st gear.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 42911

David Woollam, Cheshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate avantgarde CDi 2.2 2004

Bought this car with 48,000 miles on it. It is smooth and a delight to drive, especially with the auto trip tronic gear box. The 2.2 engine has plenty of pulling power and is smooth and quiet. I love the feel of the car and it handles really well. I love the interior. I must admit the boot space seems smaller than I would have liked (compared to some estates I have had) probably due to sloped tail gate but there is more room for passengers as compensation. MPG extra urban is around 35 MPG so a little disappointing compared with my last slightly smaller diesel engine. That said this a bigger car all round and I havent yet been on a proper run to see what its like over distance so the jury is out. Only fault I encountered was a faulty fuel pump, which I think was on the way out when I bought it, I just didnt recognise it until too late (listen for a slight whine coming from the rear of the car sounds at first almost like interference on your stereo - but gets louder!. That said all cars develop faults at some time or other unless your lucky and I love this car and smile every time I drive it.

Submitted: 2011-02-08 | ID: 42912

Alan Jefferies, England

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate cd220 est 2010

Having moved from a 2007 180 K sport manual I can compare the new model. Good points: Superbly damped ride, more space, parking sensors, economical 45mpg, quality of dash, doors etc, great clunk on closing doors, stereo now plays mp3 cds, bluetooth, rain sensors, pace got real boost around 3k. Super brakes, stands on its nose. Despite being a diesel the engine is not too coarse only only grinds away at low speed. Bad points: Seats hard and flat, steering wheel large, too light, totally devoid of feel. Tyres, too skinny at 205, needs 225 which means looks poor and doesn’t handle as well as my old car with 245 on the back, I know I have the base model, but it’s my main gripe. Auto and diesel are not good combination, floor the throttle either at standstill or at speed and there is a 1-2 second delay before it decides what gear to be in and then the boost comes on, this makes roundabouts a bit lethal as the car just lingers before anything happens, with a car bearing down on you. That stupid auto boot, open the boot half way and let go and this motor then drives the boot all the way up, so if you park under a garage door or near a wall, it grinds itself into the wall ( this happened in a hotel car park 2 weeks from new) The motor should only work on the key, not manually. PS Mercedes, next time you design a car let me know! Despite all this. I wouldn’t choose anything else like an audi for example.. its a Merc and it makes me feel good!

Alan Jeffries from Brixworth? - Peter Oliver from Australia

Submitted: 2010-10-23 | ID: 42909

Bob Wilson, Aberdeenshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C220CDI BE SPORT ESTATE 2009

This is my second estate car both c220cdi’s. I just loved the first one. The current one is a blue efficiency with loads of extras, a beautiful car. However the intrusion of road/tyre noise into the cabin is almost unbearable at all speeds and on all road surfaces. What can I do about it. If it can’t be remedied then it will have to be returned to Mercedes. My first one did not have this problem.

Submitted: 2010-09-03 | ID: 42908

Wendy Sutherland, London

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate 2010

The new Mercedes C-Class does not need any more convincing for any shopper to think about it. For starters, the three star quality markers from the Mercedes Company is a sure representative of what a Mercedes car is capable of. Mercedes has had a long history of producing quality automobiles and the C-Class lives up to that name. The 2010 models are currently riding the Mercedes flag high with impeccable sales and impressive test scores in a number of consumer reviews. Even though the price might block out some potential buyers, the luxury and sports models of this sedans are worth it. Mercedes C-Class for has done it yet again. As an entry level sedan that features both luxury and sports, Mercedes C-Class is available in different models to meet the needs of different drivers. For that luxurious, uninterrupted ride, an appealing and comfort oozing interior coupled with a classy finish and styling, the C-Class delivers competently. The sports Mercedes c class car comes with a suspension and a more a brash style to meet the sporty nature of this low rider. The twin engines with powerful horse power render the car the ultimate sports machine of choice today. The Mercedes C-Class has cut out a niche for itself and the luxury and sports car market without much difficulty. Even though it is pricey when compared to its rivals, the C-Class delivers with the assurance of its three star pointers that is a symbol of what a Mercedes car can achieve. If you have always wanted a more austere driving experience, this is the car to have. Whichever models suits you; there is a Mercedes C-Class that will have all the features you want. No matter your tastes and preferences this car is what you crave.

This is not a user review, it is a paste from car sales text from the US. Who speaks of ’sedan’, ’twin engines’ etc... delete it - Alan Jefferies from England

This is not a review, it’ a cut and paste from an american car advert - Alan Timms from Devon

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 42905

Rob, Conwy

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C250 Diesel Blue Efficiency 2009

This car is a real let down. Broke down twice in 5000 miles. Yes its extremly fast i don’t think the auto box goes well with this engine it would be awsome in a manual gear box 220 with auto is better. Fuel consumption is poor averaged only 33 MPG. Rear brakes were binding smell of burning Brakes Problems; Glove box is rubish no room open it and everthing falls out then you can not shut it. Cruse control is in wrong place to be easy to use, there are to many controls on the indicator stick with wipers,back wiper indicators main beam etc. Hand Brake set up is from 1960 out of date system needs auto release type you can try to drive off with it still on. They havent actualy converted the car to RH drive if cruse was on RH side of steering wheel it might work ok. Lack of storage space in cabin side pockets are to small and they even have the cheak of asking for £18 for cup holders, arm rest is not adjustable in height etc. Boot is rubish they made floor flat and lost loads of space under where spare wheel is Booted version of car has more room. Folding of seats is not good as the cover is attached to one of the seats. Frankly i would not buy another. I got my money back.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 42904

Bob Wilson, Aberdeenshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C22OCDI SPORT 2008

More space inside than my previous A4 Avant. It is 100mm shorter than latest Avant but looks bigger. Sport model has aggressive good looks and great handling. Firm suspension but I like that. Excellent driving position but interior let down by the dashboard which lacks the special quality and appearance expected from Mercedes (fit and finish in my previous Audi dash was far superior). Despite this I love the car.

Submitted: 2009-06-15 | ID: 42920

Jeremy Silverman, Herefordshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C200 Kompressor Estate 2008

Mercedes have got it spot on with this car. It has everything you could hope for from an estate and more. Not only is ot a joy to drive but it’s a real handsome devil of a car. Prices are good too and when you consider what you’re getting - a car that will run and run - I actually think it’s a bit of a bargain. Space wise it’s HUGE. Can’t think of another car I’ve owned that I would mark 5 out of 5.

Submitted: 2008-04-23 | ID: 42919

Eddie Downes, Lancashire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate 220CDI Manual 2002

We were promised high re-sale values, which on selling for replacement in March/April 2008 have proved false. We bought this as a final car to last through retirement, but that dream has been shattered by the very high maintenance costs. Frequent costs include several sets of injectors, several sets of suspension bushes, too many to count attempts to replace correctly the footbrake ratchet mechanism and constant tracking adjustments (probably due to road conditions) but nevertheless very costly. Not good seat support for passengers when getting a move on around bends. Good points: 50+mpg @70on motorways, 55mpg+ if you drop to 65mph on excellent cruise control. Towed caravan very well. Really nice as drivers car till you pay for servicing and take depreciation into account. 2* rating based on costs - would be 4/5 otherwise.

Submitted: 2008-01-21 | ID: 42917

Roy Sumner, Flintshire

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C320 CDI 5dr 2007

A very classy car. Excellent on performance and handling as you’d expect from a Mercedes. Space is more than ample and comfort for both driver and passenger is well thought out. About as thirsty as you’d expect on a car this size but as always the resale value on this extremely high. Can’t fault it.

Submitted: 2007-10-27 | ID: 42918

• "The carpet in the back of my Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate behind the seats keeps getting wet and the windows steam up all of the time and it smells. ..." (Sarah Saunders, 16/01/2014 11:58:01)
  • "My Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate`s rear wiper won’t shut off. Any idea what’s wrong? I have checked the relay in the trunk which is okay. (200T-CDI) ..." (Raymond Solem, 07/11/2013 12:06:02)
  • "I’ve got white smoke coming out from underneath my Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate when the heater is on in winter. It smells of burnt diesel. There is ..." (Marina, 21/10/2013 10:32:49)
  • "The brake pedal on my Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate slowly travels to the floor when driving, all the more when the car`s standing still. It`s running..." (Barry Graham, 26/09/2013 15:53:56)
  • "My Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate C200 loses power and will not accelerate when I put my foot down. Acceleration is really slow. The maximum I can get ..." (David Nicholson, 26/07/2013 10:27:42)

• David Hanson's question has been answered: "Did you ever get this sorted as I have the same problem buddy? - Barry Roberts from England' '..." (28/02/2014 22:07:19)
  • David Nicholson's question has been answered: "I once had the same problem with my last C200, it turned out to be an air mass flow meter what ever that was. The Labour cost was more than the part. - Keith from Rhondda Cynon Taff' '..." (26/08/2013 22:18:16)

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate

250 CDI BlueEfficiency Estate Sport - Carmakers are falling over themselves in an attempt to be ‘greener’ at the moment, so the Mercedes-Benz C250 CDI BlueEfficiency’s captures the zeitgeist perfectly. Our test car came in estate form, which we think is better-looking than the saloon, because the roofline stays at pretty much the same h [...]

An image of the Mercedes-Benz C-Class Estate 250 CDI BlueEfficiency Estate Sport

Volvo V50