Mazda 5 consumer car reviews and road tests

Mazda 5 consumer reviews by year of make:2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Mazda 5 consumer car reviews

Jon, Suffolk

Mazda 5 2005 - 2010

Bought the car at 15k miles, fully dealer-serviced. Now up to 40k miles. I'd never buy another one, nor any car from Mazda again. On the plus side, the sliding doors are great, the seats fold nicely, it look nice, and it's pretty quick. On the minus side, there are just too many design faults, some serious: Rear tyre wear on inside edge caused by rear camber being wrong, and non-adjustable. Rear electric windows that can't be used, and the passenger window is intermittent One rear door only works intermittently ...other design faults are just annoying: Useless trip computer - litres per 100 miles instead of MPG! Excessive road noise Suspension noise - loud squeaks over time you go over a road hump Aux power socket in the boot needs ignition to be on - this makes it pretty useless

Submitted: 2014-06-16 | ID: 97783

Jason Brown, Aberdeenshire

Mazda 5 2007

This car is total gash! It’s been back to the dealership 16 times in 6 months! I’ve just got a full refund. My advice is to never buy this car!

Submitted: 2013-06-16 | ID: 42633

Gary, England

Mazda 5 2.0 D Sport 2008

Bought my Vehicle from new, I got the revised 2008 version because the dealership had told me the problems with heavy tyre wear on the edges had been resolved. Not true, I am on my 3rd set as 25,000 miles. Run them now at 46psi and this at least gives them twice the mileage of the 1st set. I had to have the rear shocks replaced at about 15,000, this was done under warranty. I reported a problem with power steering being heavy at low speeds before warranty ran out and was told there was no problem found and to use a higher tyre pressure, which of course I did. Now I’m told I need to replace the steering pump and of course the car is now out of warranty and the cost of repair is £1500+. I have complained to Mazda about both the type wear issue and now the steering pump issue, both known issues and in the US fixed under recall and warranty. Why do the dealers here deny there is a problem? I no longer trust Mazda as a brand, I will never use their dealers again and will sell this vehicle as soon as possible. I cannot even get an MOT on it!

Submitted: 2012-07-10 | ID: 42631

Margaret Hamill, County Down

Mazda 5 2006

I have had every problem mentioned in other reviews; tyres, electric windows, dpf,sensor. To date I have spent £1800 on the car in various garages and it’s still not fixed. The Mazda dealership offered a new turbo at the cost of £1800+ vat. I took it to another garage and put in a reconditioned turbo, a new sensor and all the usual oil filters etc, however, the dpf light was still on and there was smoke billowing from the exhaust. I took it to another garage who are experts in electrics and the light is now off, but has cost me another £500. No one knows where the smoke is coming from. I did expect some after the turbo was replaced, but not to this extent. I now hear words like "pistons" and "catalytic converter". When is it going to end? I cannot trade it in and cannot afford to not fix it further. This car cost £15000 and now 5 years later at 65000 miles it is going to end up worth £150 as scrap. I am very cross to say the least.

Submitted: 2012-05-26 | ID: 42632

James, Cheshire

Mazda 5 Furano 2010

The car is superb. Quick, responsive and handles very well. You can really power through corners like roundabouts with confidence as the electronic trickery keeps you on the road and increases friction. Of course, tyres are the place where all of this is dependent and (inside or outside wear due to model/year aside) the more you thrash the corners the more tyres you will need more quickly. The fact that you can drive this car so confidently and assuredly should be applauded.  I am on 22k with one front change of tyres and can’t speak highly enough of how good the drive, sliding doors, engine, control and interior have been. Love it!

Submitted: 2012-02-06 | ID: 42628

Paul Brown, Norfolk

Mazda 5 1.8 TS2 2008

I have had our Mazda 5 1.8 TS2 for 3.5 years and have done 24000 miles. We have it on a lease with all maintenance covered. After two years, at around 13000 miles the power steering pump cut out twice after performing a number of turns at low speeds. This was replaced under warranty and the dealer advised us it was a known issue to do with overheating. Our car then failed on its first MOT at three years and 19000 miles. Both the rear shocks shocks needed replacing (dealer advised this was normal for my vehicle and I see why reading all your comments) and because we lease this was done at no cost, but we were left without our car for a week and offered no courtesy car, which was just great as that week my wife needed to go in to hospital for a scheduled op and we needed to drop our niece and nephew back to Colchester from Norfolk. So although our car has had issues that do seem to be caused by design flaws I’m happy because I’ve not paid to put it right. If, however, I was expected to pay for repairs due to clearly flawed design I would have been very angry by now. A note on tyre wear: As with everyone elses mine have worn unevenly, but lasted 12000 miles on the first set and I thought this was reasonable. The problem seemed to improve by running slightly higher tyre pressures.

Submitted: 2012-01-25 | ID: 42626

Steven Tayler, Pembrokeshire

Mazda 5 1.8 ts 2006

For any of you out there who are having problems with the electric windows there is a reset for them if your passenger windows are not working from the drivers side controls: 1). Switch on ignition 2). Jump in the passenger seat and push down electric window button hold for 5 seconds. 3). Pull up the button and hold for a further 5 seconds. You should now be able to operate the windows from the drivers controls panel. I had this problem and a friend of mine told me this is a reset for them. The only other thing I have had go wrong with the car is the tyre issue, but I changed them to budget tyres at only £30 each and I have done over 20k on them.

Submitted: 2012-01-25 | ID: 42627

Annoyed, England

Mazda 5 2006

We bought this car second hand, with a full service history, in 2006 with 33K miles on the clock. So far I have replaced the tyres (fair enough), shocks, there has been a DPF fault and now it suddenly goes into limp mode if on the motorway! I took it to Mazda who said air filter was blocked. I then had an air flow sensor changed and the problem is still there. Mazda said if the sensor didn’t fix the problem then it would be the computer, which would be mega expensive to fix. This car is 6 years old and has only done 59,500 miles, yet it appears to be a right off. On a positive note the sliding doors are ace and I highly reccommend them. So in summary: A brilliant car if you only own it when it’s under full warranty, as soon as the warranty expires get rid!

Just part-ex’ed my ’07 Mazda 5 sport with 85k on the clock - DPF filter fault caused a near desth incident on motorway at Xmas. Mazda said the DPF filter, exhaust valve and sensor have gone, quoted £5-6k! Got it done for £2.4k and have got rid for a meagre £4.5k - don’t go near an old model diesel! - Fezzer Fez from Oxfordshire

I have had a 2000 premacy for 9 years. No problems apart from dealers inventing failures. I had problem with exhaust valve.  Dealer wanted £700 to check fuel pump. Local Bosch diesel fitter fixed it for £60. Blanked off sensor so valve didn’t operate. Fantastic car otherwise as long as you steer clear of British dealers - B C from England

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 42622

Lin Willo, Canada

Mazda 5 2007

A colleague of mine at work had this car and drove it about 250km a day. The problem with the tyres is solved by installing "camber bars" on the rear of the car. And the dealer paid for it when the car was new.

Submitted: 2011-12-31 | ID: 42621

Mike Dowling, Fife and Kinross Shires

Mazda 5 1.8 ts2 2007

I bought this car in 2008 with 19000mls on the clock with one previous owner, a car hire firm. Since then I have done 21000mls and have the same problems as everyone else; the noises coming from the rear and the constant shock replacement. I replaced the rear shock (passenger side) in 2010 April then the driver’s rear a year later and now I am back to replacing the passenger side again. I do like my car but the shocks are a let down so I would not advise buying this car unless Mazda are going to solve the problem.

Submitted: 2011-12-27 | ID: 42620

Lincu Dan, Italy

Mazda 5 2007

I’m very disapointed with my Mazda. It’s now the third time that the right rear shock absorbers have gone in only 76000km (the third time after only 9000km). Now even my right anterior shock absorber is broken. I don’t know what to do with this car, isn’t there a way to make a class action against Mazda? In my city there alone there are at least 20 others who have experienced more or less the same problems!

Submitted: 2011-11-22 | ID: 42625

Inger Thompson, United States of America

Mazda 5 2010

I’m getting ready to have four new tyres put on for the second time in about two years. I’ve also experienced oil and break fluid leaks, the rear shocks have gone out and the rear swaying is horrible. The road noise is so loud that you can’t hear anyone sitting in the back and a headache is sure to happen after a long road trip. So very disappointed. I’m getting ready to unload this car and find something that’s made for driving.

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 42629

Arthur Parsons, Canada

Mazda 5 2010

I bought this car new. In less than a year I’ve had to replace: tyres due to excessive wear, rear shocks, right side motor mount at 100 km, right brake calipir. I have been unable to solve problems such with brake chatter and rear sway bar. There have also been many minor repairs. I will never buy another Mazda product!

Submitted: 2011-09-05 | ID: 42630

Graham Waugh, Scotland

Mazda 5 2007

Do not buy this car, you will regret it! The worst car around. Sometimes the internet can be a bit over the top, but not in this case, most things said about this car are true. Unless Mazda is going to step up to the mark and deal with the issues I’d recommend you don’t buy a Mazda full stop!

Submitted: 2011-07-18 | ID: 42592

Rob, Hampshire

Mazda 5 2L petrol sport 2005

Oh dear, what has happened to the legendary Mazda build quality? I bought the car one year ago and it has been a bit of a disappointment on the reliabilty front. The car has 55K on the clock with full Mazda service history and only one previous owner from new. The problems are as follows: 1. Window seal problem causing window to Jam. 2. Brake fluid pipe in engine bay leaking. Dripping onto exhaust! very dangerous. 3.Expensive option in car entertainment system failed.(for second time). 4. Rear shock absorber failed (for second time). 5.Minor Trim comming off. 25MPG around town :( On the plus side I love the sliding rear doors and flexible 6 seats. 7th seat for short journeys and child only. Top tip: If your going to buy a secondhand one of these get a comprehensive after market warranty.

Submitted: 2011-07-15 | ID: 42594

Jon Smith, England

Mazda 5 Sport 2009

A great car to drive, it looks great and is practical. I’d had the car two years and then all started to go wrong: 1) Seatbelt frayed badly. Mazda reckons it is the driver’s clothing, obviously the chain mail suit. 2) Tyres dangerous worn on the inner egde of both fronts. This was supposed to have been fixed on the 2008 model but obviously not. Mazda again blame under inflated tyres, if this was true both sides of the tyre would be worn not one. 3) Rear light cluster condensation. Apparently a natural occurrence, but why only on Mazdas? 4) Rear link bar needed replacing 5) Shock absorber went. So only a few things went wrong. The dealer has been very good, but Mazda UK customer service is appalling. They never phone back. The issues above have now been going on since Feb and are still not resolved. On the customer service front I would never buy another Mazda.

Submitted: 2011-07-15 | ID: 42593

I A Kirk, Dorset

Mazda 5 1.8ts 2005

This car has been a huge disappointment for us. We bought a Mazda as they seemed to have a good reputation for build, reliability and decent dealers. Our car has been dreadful. Leaky door seals, noisy window seals, poor starting, a faulty alarm that was only fixed by ripping the siren out! A harsh jarring ride, uncomfortable middle and rear seats, peeling paintwork and premature tyre wear. The local dealer could not care less and all their charms were switched off once we paid for the car. I will NEVER buy another Mazda again. This car is built like a British Leyland Marina from the 1980’s.

Hi there, my wife just bought the Mazda1.8 ts2 and there’s a juddering coming from somewhere. I have had a mechanic look at it and they don’t know what’s wrong with it, can anyone help? - from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2011-05-16 | ID: 42595

Alan Craddock, Buckinghamshire

Mazda 5 Ts2 diesel 2008

Bought new and still have it after 32K miles, but not that impressed as have not seen fabled Mazda reliability or build quality. Front tyre excess wear on outer edge but managed 19K before replacement. Gearbox is very stiff and notchy in lower gears especially when cold. Biggest disappointment is poor fuel economy for a diesel - don’t think I have seen better than 40 mpg and I drive gently. Latest problem is front suspension noise and am about to have the antiroll bar bushes changed.

Submitted: 2011-02-22 | ID: 42597

John Smith, Cheshire

Mazda 5 Sport 2006

A bit of balance, and for the record I have no relationship to Mazda or its dealers. We bought our 2.0 sport petrol as an 06 pre-reg. It has been serviced by RRG Stockport ever since. The tyre issue was dealt with sensibly and fairly and there has been no issue with it since. The car has never let us down and is super practical as well as fun to drive. It’s done 30k and it has used 6 tyres to date plus half worn currently on the 4 in it. It is perhaps a reflection of how you approach the dealer as to how you get treated? Be assertive but not rude; we have been very satisfied with how the car and dealer have performed. Having had many different cars over the years the overall ownership experience is second only to Volvo..but they cost a packet!<br /><br />

Must agree with you. The biggest mistake Mazda5 owners have made was buying a diesel. My 2.0L petrol Furano has done 50k (07 plate) and has two issues: airbag light caused by resistance in the connections that you’ll never find (I know, it’s an area of expertise for me), and rear drivers-side shock (I’m now on number three). The rear tyre issue is easy to sort with camber adjustment. Also, owners must stop whining on about Mazda dealer cost when the car is out of warranty. Go somewhere cheaper, by going to a dealer for your FSH. You are not stopping depreciation on your car or adding value. Don’t be such fools. It was a value product in the first place and looks lovely which is why you didn’t buy a Vauxhall Zafira! Wake up people! - Mark Livesey from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-02-02 | ID: 42601

Martyn Griffiths, England

Mazda 5 2.0 Sport 2007

My Mazda 5 has had a few problems. Airbag warning light; Mazda complained but eventually gave in under warranty. Complete power steering failure whilst driving at low speed through a safari park, tiger section, 21 degs outside, 5 people on board, kids were not very happy, tigers didn’t seem too concerned !!! Engine off, wait, switch on, never happened again. Tyres are a joke!! Eats them! Had 2 rear shocks replaced in March 2009 back in again 27 Jan 2011, more required no doubt. Good points: Never uses oil quite fast, but noisey at above the national speed limit, needs a 6th gear, very high rpm. This is the 2nd Mazda I have owned and will hopefully try a Mazda 6 next.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 42603

Never Again, County Down

Mazda 5 Ts2 diesel 2006

Bought this car in 2008 and it drove like a dream for 2 years, the only problem being expensive tyre changes, 2 shocks needing replaced and seemed to drink a lot of oil, but nothing to worry about we were told! In 2010 the engine suddenly went into limp mode (no warning) and we were quoted £3500 to relace the DPF system (apparently too clogged to fix). Thankfully we got a second opinion as it turned out to be a faulty turbo (only £2500!). After about 8 weeks the DPF light started flashing and we ended up every couple of days having to do do the suggested 20 min run to clear the system. The car was also using a ridiculous amount of oil. Having spent our savings on repairs, having read so many awful reports on this car and faced with a future of endless oil changes, tyre changes, new shocks and presumably a new DPF system we had no choice but to get rid of the car and trade it in for something cheaper. STAY AWAY FROM THIS CAR AT ALL COSTS!!!

I have the same problem as yours and I only bought the car last year and still under finance. Now I am in trouble where to get money for repair of the turbo. It’s annoying because I thought Mazda were reliable cars but unfortunately they have not passed the British standard - from England

Exactly the same situation at the moment. Had the DPF replaced and now the turbo has gone, billowing smoke and unsafe to drive so I have to hire a car. I’ve no money left, I’m stressed to tears and no idea what to do for the best. Do not buy a Mazda! - Emma Young from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2011-01-22 | ID: 42598

Ron Mr, United States of America

Mazda 5 2008

Our 2008 Mazda 5 operates well, but we have experienced a problem with the wheels. What started as a low vibration in the vehicle increased to a rumbling/thumping sound. The Mazda dealership diagnosed the problm as being the Toyo Tyres that came new with the vehicle. On advice of the dealership technician, we took our vehicle to a tyre shop that was licensed to sell and do warranty work for Toyo Tyres. The tyre shop found the yires to be sound, but one wheel was bent. Taking their advice, we purchased a new Mazda wheel. After leaving the tyre shop we discovered the rumbling/thumping sound had not changed. We returned the vehicle to the tyre shop where, this time, the technician recommended replacing one Toyo Tyre under the warranty. We purchased the tyre and had the wheel re-balanced. When we departed the tyre shop we found no change in the noise we had detected earlier. After $750 in repairs, we decided to abandon the Tyre Shop and return to the Mazda dealership. The technician at the dealership re-diagnosed the issue as being tyre related. We waited two weeks and returned to the Mazda dealership for a four-wheel alignment and rotation/balancing of the wheels hoping that might solve the problem. The technician did the work and then reported that we had two bent wheels on the vehicle! He further stated that the problem is common to the Mazda 5 because of the low silhouette tyres on the vehicle. Our next step was to complain to Mazda North America (NA) about the bent wheels, now a total of three. Mazda NA stated to us that they would not honor the vehicle warranty for replacemeent of the wheels and that the technician at the Mazda dealership had denied telling us about the wheel/tyre problem with the Mazda 5. Our only remaining choices are (1) never return to Brown’s Mazda for any reason and (2) send a documented letter to Mazda NA with copies furnished to the Better Business Bureau, Consumer Reports, etc. We have a recall letter from Mazda concerning the power steering on our Mazda 5. We will seek this repair at a dealership other than Brown’s Mazda, Chantilly, Virginia. Meanwhile, we are pursuing the replacement of the four wheels and tyres now on our Mazda 5.

Submitted: 2010-11-23 | ID: 42604

Bala, Surrey

Mazda 5 2.0 Sport Nav 2007

Bought it in 2008 with 9k miles on the clock. Although suits our requirement, the TMC (traffic messaging channel) does not work. Contacted Mazda who said I have to contact via the dealer. The final answer was due to licensing issues it will not work in the UK, not happy at all. Took it to repair a slow puncture to a local tyre shop and had to change the front tyres at 21k miles which both showed excessive wear on both inside and out. I don’t think I will go for another Mazda!

Submitted: 2010-10-30 | ID: 42605

Trevor Stubbins, Essex

Mazda 5 Furano 2006

Just got rid of ours (Oct 2010), bought in Feb 2007. We did about 5k miles a year and had 3 sets of tyres, due to the wheel alignment problem, which Mazda were supposed to have fixed (twice). Our drivers side electric window was also intermittent as somebody else has commented here. The final straw was the traction control system failure, which appears to be another common fault that Mazda will not own up to, but expect you to pay £1600 to fix (plenty of posts about this error on the web). It was a lovely car, but let down by so many faults. No more Mazda’s for us.

Submitted: 2010-10-22 | ID: 42606

Bill, England

Mazda 5 Diesel sport 2006

Just sold the car after 4.5 years. I was pleased to see it go. I had a real love hate relationship with it. This is a fast comfortable and versatile car and had it been reliable I would have been delighted with it. I bought it new and it chewed up a set of tyres in 8k miles. It needed a new driveshaft in the first year. The pump for the ESP etc failed just out of warranty, three factory recalls and problems with the DPF and several other niggles. Mazda and my local dealer have been good at sorting it but far too many problems for a new car. If you are buying one second hand beware, it could cost you a fortune. My advice is stay clear, a brilliant concept spoilt by poor build quality.

Submitted: 2010-09-26 | ID: 42608

Andrew, South Africa

Mazda 5 2.0L Active 2008

Got a Mazda 5 in June 2008. I really like the car (my wife uses it daily), BUT: Tyre use is horrific 10,000km replaced Dunlop tyres - worn out 21,000km replaced second set of tyres, worn out 34,000km replaced third set of tyres, worn out With the last replacement the rear tyres are worn right through to the nylon cap ply on the insides, but 4 mm left on the outsides. 28,000km brake system failure - all fluid leaked internally. 33,000km thermostat failed - stuck closed and overheated the engine 33,500km powersteering seal leak on supply pipe and powersteering belt had to be replaced Fuel consumption of around 11.5 L/100km around town on the school run.

Submitted: 2010-09-24 | ID: 42607

Richard Horton, England

Mazda 5 Sport 2007

Nice car, very practical but so sadly let down by faults. Car has done <45k miles, serviced on the dot. Rear shocks have failed, tyre wear before and after shock replacement is excessive. Electrics are unreliable, can only open drivers window from drivers controls now. Front parking sensor has had permanent fault since car was new.

Submitted: 2010-09-21 | ID: 42616

Genevieve Nicolas Genny, United States of America

Mazda 5 2009

I bought mazda 5 last year. Just recently, month of July, when driving in the freeway that was traffic at that time when my husband felt the power steering malfaunction. we were scared because we are in the freeway. I did not report this matter to the dealership.<br /><br />

There’s a recall for the p/s system. Many of us had the same issue and went to the dealer to get it fixed, way before Mazda issued the recall - A Z from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 42612

Big Ewan, Fife and Kinross Shires

Mazda 5 Sport 2007

Avoid at all costs!!! Excessive tyre wear, dpf problems (£1500 to replace!) Turbo blown (£2200), what next with a 3 year old car? Mazda’s response? Couldn’t care less! Car driven 50 miles a day on motorway, full service history.....aargh. Will never buy another Mazda!

Lucky you! Our turbo cost over £2,500 and the dpf?...quoted a shocking £3500!!! - Jill Piggott from England

Our DPF went in Germany whilst on holiday. A £3,000 bill, what with the Euro exchange rate, and now ( after it went again on the way home one week later), Mazda say it’s actually a fuel injector that will cost another £1,500. We’re broke, Mazda UK are being utterly unhelpful - I would say to anyone never go near one of these. The dealer is no help and never rings us back. I so wish we’d bought the Honda we looked at when we got this... - Cathy Scott-Burt from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-08-23 | ID: 42609

Mark Livesey, Hampshire

Mazda 5 Furano 2007

We bought our Mazda5 as a demo model which had 370 miles on the clock. The car was bought from Nyetimber Mazda in Bognor Regis for a 30% discount on the RRP including a full warranty. Yes, the rear tyre wear issue was present but corrected properly and replacement tyres offered to me at 20% of the value. Nyetimber Mazda have dealt with three issues all under warranty, picked up the car and dropped off a courtesy vehicle. As for some of you being ’ripped off’ by Mazda’s in-house service centres, why didn’t any of you take the sensible approach of getting other quotes like I did. They are all local garages trying to run a business after all. My Mazda5 Furano has now done 30k+ miles and is everything my family needs in a car and although it is now out of its warranty period, I’m still a confident owner driver. Well done Mazda!

Hi, I have had our Mazda 5 since new (2006). The only problem we’ve had is the rear tyre wear. Reading your review, you had this problem fixed. Could you please tell me exactly what repair/adjustment was carried out to rectify this? Thank you - Desmond O`Reilly from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-08-19 | ID: 42614

Andrew S, Durham

Mazda 5 2.0 sport diesel (143PS) 2008

Excellent car in many respects, however, I too have suffered the ’tyre wear’ issue on the front! After less than 2 years and 23,000 miles, my car now needs its THIRD set of front tyres!! My local Mazda dealership made me pay for a 4 wheel alignment when this problem first reared its head in October 09, saying that because I bought the car from a Mazda dealership in Wolverhampton and not at the local one (Jennings Sunderland) they wouldn’t take responsibility... so £50 for an alignment and £160 for two front tyres it was!! I wouldn’t have even known that the tyres were still wearing, as it is the inside edge that is wearing down, but (un)fortunately? I picked up a puncture and when I tried to get it repaired the tyre place pointed out the wear! So back to Mazda it went, who first off tried to charge me for another 4 wheel alignment!! (after a brief argument they said they’d check it free as a "gesture of goodwill"!!!! And the result? Your alignment is fine, the suspension is all fine, Mazda suggests you use Dunlop tyres and rotate them every 3000 miles!!! Well whoop-de-doo!! So, a phone call to Mazda UK, who have started an "investigation" into my problems and have hinted that they may provide some free tyres!! At least then I’ll be able to trade it in!! The end result? I certainly would never buy another Mazda, or a car from Jennings Sunderland (I have bought from them in the past).

UPDATE: Well, three weeks later and Mazda finally decided to respond to my complaint - the result? A letter in which they deny ANY fault with the vehicle and say that my tyres are simply worn out and needing replaced!! Awesome! DO NOT BUY A MAZDA 5!!!! - Andrew S from Durham

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 42617

Arthur Jackso, Staffordshire

Mazda 5 2008

I have owned from new in 2008 and have now done 48000 miles. I did experience excessive wear on the inside edges of the two front tyres. My Mazda dealers stated that the allignment had been rectified and was now within the manufacturers tolerences, I asked why they were not from the start but they just shrugged their shoulders. I have tried to complain to Mazda but have wasted my time. After a second set of tyres shredded on the inside edges I took the vehicle back and again they said all was ok...it obviously was not. I changed tyres to a Goodyear make and from an independent tyre fitter was told that the tracking was out. He rectified the problem and touch wood the tyres although a little noisy are doing far better than the originals fitted by Mazda. I can not fault the car just the after service and servicing costs.

Submitted: 2010-07-14 | ID: 42619

Colin, Northamptonshire

Mazda 5 2.0D SPORT 2008

Bought the Mazda new and the family love the versatility. It has been really reliable (no faults, touch wood). Servicing has been really expensive considering the car has only just got 17,000 miles, my local dealer has quoted me £350 for 1st and 2nd services (that would be £700 for 2 years). I went ballistic when I compared it to the rivals, got them down to £250 on both occasions in the end. Tyres seems to be the issue, on the last service in April the dealer reported mis-alignment on both off side tyres as they were badly worn on the inner edge. I complained to Mazda (worst customer service in the motoring world) but they weren’t bothered at all and fobbed me off with, "My chassis number did not have the problem of previous models and if it was all 4 wheels then they may have a look at it". The dealer said they would still have to charge £70 + VAT to do an alignment after I fit new tyres. All in all, we like the car but would be put off from buying another Mazda based on poor customer service and high servicing cost for diesel engines. Consider why on earth do Mazda diesel engines need an expensive valve adjustment on the first service (irrespective of mileage) and the end user has to pickup the rip off labour rates of the dealers, that’s just poor engineering. I wonder where they source the diesel engines from and do other users (if there are any have similar issues)?? I would also suggest not bothering with the diesel engine at all if your mileage is low (below 10k pa). You could easily run into DPF problems with to much fuel in the oil, extremely high servicing costs and MPG isn’t that great (we average 27mpg).<br /><br />

We have a Mazda 5 06 plate. Could you explain a bit more about the DFP problems as our light has just started to flash. Thank you - from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2010-07-04 | ID: 42583

Sharon, Fife and Kinross Shires

Mazda 5 2005

Hi! Bought the car 3 years ago, now onto the 4th lot of shocks the car has only done 42,000 miles. Had to replace brake fluid pipe which cost quite a bit for a small tube. had to replace 2 lots of front tyres! Hate the car, hate mazda, would never recommend! The worst car I’ve ever had (I’ve even had an old style fiat panda!)<br /><br />

Did you ever contact Mazda about these hock problems? And if so what did they say? - Siobhan Wood from County Down

Submitted: 2010-07-03 | ID: 42585

John, Hertfordshire

Mazda 5 TS2 2.0 DIESEL 2008

I have owned this car since March 09 and found that the drivers electric window (one touch operation) doesn’t work in the cold but works fine during warm weather. The engine runs lumpy during warm weather but is fine in cold weather.

Submitted: 2010-07-03 | ID: 42587

Nigel Henry, Oxfordshire

Mazda 5 Sport Diesel 2010

Great car to look at. Interior trim in black gets very dirty quickly low profile tyres are very expensive, 2 replaced in 6 months from new due to being so low profile, look good but not practical. HERE IS THE KILLER !!!! FIRST SERVICE AT MAZDA DEALERS AT 12,500 MILES IS £453.00 FOR A FILTER OIL AND INSPECTION OF THE VALVES WHAT A RIP OFF!!!

Submitted: 2010-07-01 | ID: 42582

Olivia, South Africa

Mazda 5 2009

I do agree one hundred percent, the worst car ever. We had a brand new Maza 5, never missed a service. First the engine seized, Mazda found they did not put oil in after a service. One month down the line I went to the mall and when I came out the car was on fire, worst experience ever. Choose a Mazda car and your worst nightmares ever will come true.

Submitted: 2010-06-13 | ID: 42580

Chris Simpson, England

Mazda 5 Sport 2010

I’ve only had the car for 18 months but have sold it now as I’m not risking my families lives any longer, driving a car which isn’t safe. The tyre wear on the front was unacceptable, both had worn though to the threads on the inner shoulders. As the previous reviews also state, due to the position of the wear, it’s not easy to spot unless you are specifically looking for it. Mazda customer services - what a joke, they don’t know what customer service is. I’m still trying to speak with something other than voicemail. When you do manage to speak to a person they never phone back. I will never touch a Mazda again and you certainly shouldn’t buy a Mazda 5 whatever a salesman tells you about the tyre wear problem being fixed. IT IS STILL A BIG PROBLEM ON THESE CARS.

Submitted: 2010-06-08 | ID: 42581

Sid, Northern Ireland

Mazda 5 2.0 diesel 2009

Thought it was a great, versatile & value buy. Boy was I wrong. Have had the car on the road 3 months out of the 6 I have now owned it. Problems with DFP, Turbo, Oil rising etc., etc., as noted before by others. Won’t be touching a Mazda of any description after all this, dealers et al just aren’t bothered.

Had our Mazda 5 30 months, has had 3 changes of tyre and currently needs another set, can hear that the shock abs are going at the back. Had enough, we are trading it in for a Peugot 5008. This is supposed to be a family car but we don’t feel safe using it as a family car. I can’t wait to get our new car this week. Do not risk your family’s safety and don’t waste your money on this car - Mrs S Stevenson from Stirlingshire

Hi, what problems have you had with the DFP? Our light has just started to flash and I need to be prepared when tackling the Mazda garage. Thank you - from Leicestershire

The DPF is Diesel Particulate Filter, and unfortunately a massive problem in modern diesels. A quick search on Google under Mazda DPF and you’ll see what I mean, French cars are really bad for them too - Matt Hill from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-05-10 | ID: 42588

Gillian Sheeran, Hampshire

Mazda 5 2006

The car has been fine up until now but the engine just blew up with no warning (no oil or other warnig light) when just over 4 years old & out of warranty. Mazda garage (Winchester, Winnall) offered no explaination & said just unlucky. Mazda head office were not interested once found one of services not done by Mazda dealer, despite the fact it could have resulted in a serious accident (attitude was appalling). Wouldn’t buy another Mazda after this experience.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-14 | ID: 42568

Charles Sanderson, Yorkshire

Mazda 5 2.0D sport 2008

The car is ideal, over 43 mpg on long runs, drives like a car not a converted van. The Leather seats and electric rear doors make it an ideal family car; the rear doors will not open until the car is in neutral and the handbrake applied. The reason for not giving the maximum stars is the 17 inch wheels and low profile tyres, which are expensive and do not last long. I was told by the main dealer that you only usually get about 12,000 miles on the front tyres, which wear on the inside shoulder. Mazda UK do not acknowledge that there is a problem, their customer care is the worst I have ever had to deal with. I will sell and never touch a Mazda car again.

I completely agree with your comments regarding Mazda being the worst to deal with. My husband and I had a mazda 5 2.0D Sport 57 plate. The wear on our tyres was so dangerous that when the car was put in for a service we were told that we couldn’t drive the car unless we got new tyres. We were shocked as we had been aware of the tyre wear issue with older models but apparently the problem had been fixed. My husband was very careful in checking the tyres on a very regular basis and had only checked the tyres a few days earlier. Given the wear is on the innerside it is impossible to spot. Given that this is a family car we are furious with mazdas unacceptance that there still is a problem. We have written 2 letters and had to send the second one recorded to even get a reply. They are making out that the problem is only with older models and from September 2007 the problem has been rectified. It is very interesting to read your comments with your model being a 2008. I hope you read this and would email me back as we are planning to email watchdog and other consumer websites as we feel that these cars should be recalled before a family is killed! - Lynne Wilson from Angus (Forfarshire)

Hey, Just been reading through your comment on your Mazda 5, I had near enough a life threatening problem with my Mazda 6. Mazda UK customer service is extremely poor! I have been left without my car for over 10 months now because i am getting no valid answers from mazda dealers or mazda motors uk. From this i have researched into every single Mazda problem, you guys with the tyre wear are for sure not alone, on other sites its happened to hundreds of other people! I have started a campaign to finally get our voices heard as a group not as individuals, please visit and join the forum at www.mazda-campaign.co.uk, you can submit your problems and experience with Mazda customer service as at the end if they still do not listen to us, i am legally taking it to Japan. Look forward to hear from you all. www.mazda-campaign.co.uk - from England

Have just read your review and we to are having problems with tyre wear and juddering when breaking, we were quite shocked to realise this is such a big issue for Mazda owners. the car itself is so useful when you have a young child, we just hope it does not turn into a money pit! thank you to other owners who are raising the profile of these issues - S McCulloch from Leicestershire

Hi: On my 2007 GT I noticed the beginnings of tire wear on the inside edges of the rear tires, so I rotated the tires and had the car aligned. The rear tires (previously the fronts) unxepectedly wore through to the beads at the inside edge in only 5000 km later. I have pictures. You won’t believe them! The outside edge of the tread looks new. Very expensive to replace at about $1100 dcn for a set of 4. My local Mazda dealer says tire issue is due to lack of rotation and tire pressure - which is incorrect but I cannot disprove it because I rotated the tires and checked the pressure myself - monthly. I am fairly sure now that it is due to the high negative camber of the rear suspension that gives the Mazda5 impressive handling in corners. From the treatment I received from my dealer and comments I see on the internet Mazda have adopted a stonewall tactic to avoid what could be an avalanche of claims from irate owners. Now the left rear shock is leaking oil, therefore I need to replace both rear shocks.. Stabilizer bushings creak and groan in the -20Cs Brake wear and rotor problems mean’t a $1200 brake job in November 2010. From internet reports the 2008, 2009 appear to have the same problems and there are already a few reports of similar issues on the 2010s. The only Zoom Zoom I am getting from my Mazda5 is the zoom zoom sound of dollar bills flying out of my wallet. I am currently debating whether I should sink money into more tires and replace the rear upper control arms with adjustables from SPC to fix the camber problem or just to rid myself of the car. Soon Mazda are going to find their sales dropping for the same reason it happened to Ford and GM vehicles. It is all about reliability and repair costs. People want reliable cars and will vote with their feet and their wallets - Terence Hawkes from Canada

Submitted: 2010-03-20 | ID: 42569

Jim Smith, Argyllshire

Mazda 5 Sport 2006

Bought the car new in march 2006.At first service dealer wouldn’t let me leave as REAR TYRES DANGEROUS. Mazda paid. At 18000 miles FRONT TYRES CONDEMNED. Mazda paid for one. At 27000 miles N.S.SHOCKER FAILED M.O.T.. Mazda paid. At 33000 miles O.S.SHOCKER GUBBED. Fighting with Mazda as we speak. Car now out of warranty. Apart from these things car has been excellent. If only Mazda had done the honourable thing at the beginning. This model is now tainted.

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 42574

Glen Hickman, Staffordshire

Mazda 5 2.0D Furano 2007

Bought a 2.0D Mazda Furano in 2007, ex-demo car with 6000 miles on the clock. I have now covered nearly 80,000 miles with good and bad points. The good bits first: Practical layout, sliding doors are great, especially for those with young kids or elderly parents, and great in tight car park spaces. I average about 45mpg, which isn’t too bad considering the size of the car. The bad points: Eats it’s way through tyres! First set lasted only 17,000 miles. Poor suspension geometry set-up was to blame and eventually got Mazda to sort under warranty and reclaim 50% of cost of tyres - don’t let them fob you off, they know about the problem. Still quite heavy on use though and now on fourth set! Clunky gearbox and whines in low gears all "very normal" characteristics! My suspension is now very noisy, creeks & groans and worse when cold. Servicing costs are quite expensive. In summary, practical, more van like than car like but wouldn’t buy another.<br /><br />

If you’ve still got the car get rid before the ABS pump packs up, they cost from dealers is £1800.00. Since my last post the air bag light has now come on, not a very happy person :( Mazda UK sucks like Mazdas. ANYONE THINKING OF GETTIN ONE THINK TWICE, STAY AWAY - from Bridgend

Submitted: 2010-02-12 | ID: 42575

George, Bridgend

Mazda 5 2007

Do not buy a Mazda 5 or a 3; I’ve had the tyres done, had shocks done all under warrenty. 3 years later, the first week of no warrenty the abs pump went. I phoned Mazda UK who said "sorry can’t help you." Now the third week of no warrenty there is some kind of a fault on the air bag. In  the 25 years since I’ve been on the road and of all the cars I’ve had Mazda has been the worse one and Mazda UK is useless.

I bought a brand new Mazda 5 in 2007 in Long Beach, USA with extended warranty (which means it is more than the 36k warranty) . The first issue about the car was the seat tracks which came loose. They fixed it because it was covered by their "warranty". Next was the brake rotors that got warped. It was machined and fixed ok. Next was the transmission fluid that got burned and had to be replaced. Then there was poor alignment and had to be aligned. Next, the tires had uneven wear which needed replacement. And now the rear shock absorber is leaking hydraulic fluid. All of these happened when the car is less than 3 years old and less than 40k mileage. The car is used mainly on freeways and never been subjected to abuse or misuse, I think there is something wrong with the car (lemon) and the craftmanship is poor. I wonder what mechanical problem will happen with the car (I will keep you posted). When the dealer was asked if these were coverd by their "extended warranty", their answer was a flat NO. I have a 2007 Toyota and I drive it almost everyday. It has 60k mileage and never had any issues. For sure, I will never buy a Mazda again. - My only problem is how to get rid of the car since I from United States of America

Totally fed up with my Mazda 5 Sport - bought new in 2006, thouht the sliding doors were great, and setup very practical. However, a). Replaced all tyres in first year (9000 miles) due to excessive wear on inner edges caused by unsatisfactory suspension setup. Mazda reimbursed half the cost of the replacement tyres after a fight. Underlying fault repaired under warranty, but only after Dealer consulted Mazda Servicing Bulletin. Tyres have since been replaced again, at 25,000 miles. b). Dynamic Stability Control malfunction necessitated replacement of ABS computer after 18 months (approx 13,000 miles). Repair carried out under warranty. c). Alarm system activated while car under way, in May 2009, 2 weeks after 3-year service. (approx 24,000 miles). Repair carried out for free after dealer fought our case with Mazda. d). Electric window panel in driver’s door required resetting March 2010 - freebie demonstration from Dealer, so we can do it ourselves if it happens again. e). Ongoing electrical fault with factory-fitted roof-mounted DVD player: Approx 30% of the time it suffers a loss of power on startup, requiring car ignition to be turned off and on again. f). Throughout its life, we have occasionally returned to the car to find all the windows down (!!!), despite it being locked with the alarm on. This is particularly disturbing, since on occasion it has been in a public car park and had the car been stolen because of this, my insurance would have been void as the car was effectively "left open". This was highlighted to Dealer at a service in May 2009 while car was still under warranty, but the fault was not found and nothing has yet been done. g). Last week, at 32,000 miles, the rear shock absorbers needed to be replaced as they had split and were leaking. This latest incident has cost me over £300, since the car is now out of warranty (3 years or 36,000 miles). However, this fault would have arisen while still under warranty had we covered a higher mileage than 8000 miles per year - in essence we have been penalised for having a below average mileage. Thoroughly disillusioned with said car and will be moving it on at the weekend - from Cornwall

Submitted: 2010-02-09 | ID: 42577

Sandy Moggach, Dumbartonshire

Mazda 5 2007

I purchased a Mazda 5 TS2 (16500miles) 10 days ago from the an Arnold Clark branch in Kirkcaldy. When I picked up the car and travelled to my home, outside Glasgow, I became aware of a slight shudder from the rear of the car. I have now taken the car to Arnold’s in Glasgow, and they have diagnosed "faulty rear shock-absorbers", which will be replaced under warranty. I have been advised by the Service Dept. not to drive the car as it is dangerous. However, looking at other reviews, I will also be checking the condition of the tyres. My wife purchased a new 2000 Premacy and over the last nine and a half years has had few complaints. It’s a pity that Mazda seem to have let quality slip when they inntroduced the Mazda 5 as its replacement.

Hi, I had same problem last night and my car is back in with the dealer as I type. They say there is no tyre wear problems on 2008 models as the problem was rectified! Mine also has uneven tyre wear on the outside edges. My car is under 2 years old and has done 19,500 miles. They say lucky tyres have lasted this long on an MPV!! Waiting for Mazda to decide if they will contribute but dealer thinks they will refuse. They blame under inflation despite following the pressures recommended on the plate on the door frame! - Paula Jones from Essex

Submitted: 2010-01-30 | ID: 42563

Stephen Bonas, England

Mazda 5 2008

Had a blowout this week and on checking found the extent of horrific uneven wear on both front tyres. The car is currently with the dealer but dont know if I will have to pay for replacement tyres. Only had car for 15 months and it has also been back in 3 times for problems with gear box which still isn’t right. Will be very reluctant to undertake any motorway journeys in case I have another blowout. Can’t wait to get rid of it as soon as I can afford to.

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 42562

Dale, Northamptonshire

Mazda 5 2.0 Sport petrol 2008

Got the Mazda 5 Sport in July 2008, (after Mazda’s claimed cure for the rear tyre wear, about Feb I think). I have covered 34000 miles and is now on it’s 3rd complete set of tyres. All have worn through to the inner carcass of the tyres on the front inner edge. Mazda try to hide or extend tyre life by moving worn front tyres to the rear therefore effectively doubling their useful life. See photos of tyres at http://mazdaforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20951 . From my many years of experience I will declare that this front inner edge tyre wear is due wholly to the incorrect CAMBER (too negative) because this vehicle has the 17" wheels as opposed to the originally designed 15" base model with no alteration to thoe front geometry in this larger wheeled version. Do not be fobbed off by Mazda’s excuse of "..it’s toe-in, toe-out, under inflation, over inflation or heavy/fast cornering." All these excuses show different symptoms to what we see and experience. The effect is that the car is really running on its inner edge while driving causing the poor handling, grip and performance. I have tried Dunlop 2050, Dunlop Maxx TT and now Continental Contisport3 (the ContiSport 3 are the best gripping for the UK’s cold and wet roads). It is not the tyre manufacturers fault as Mazda have suggested with some rubbish about a redesigned tyre (I have talked to & e-mailed Dunlop and there is no knowledge or proof of a ’redesign’ of Sport 2050). There is no easy cure for the Mazda 5’s front inner edge tyre wear problem except for a major expensive refit of the front suspensions’ McPherson Strut. Other than that and both rear suspension dampers being replaced (failed and leaking oil) it goes well with its 2 litre engine and built in bluetooth for mobile phones it’s okay. Consumption is less than 31MPG (27.5 - 30.1)

Submitted: 2009-12-30 | ID: 42561

Steve Branney, Derbyshire

Mazda 5 TS2 2007

The reports of tyre wear have not applied to me. I bought the car at 23k a year ago and am now on 46k and these original tyres now need changing - not bad. The kids love the car and I think it’s a great drive and do many long journeys for work. Also, it’s interesting when I get it serviced (independent mechanic) that the car is always liked and considered a great drive.

What can I say? My 1.8 ts has been utterly reliable and only has routine servicing. Tyres last about 40k miles. I was so pleased with mine that I have just traded it in for another new 5 nov z sport though, as they seem to be the ones that eat tyres - John Johnson from England

Submitted: 2009-10-16 | ID: 42565

Stephen Kizis, Aberdeenshire

Mazda 5 Sport 2006

Apart from the rear tyre wear and failing rear shock absorbers, the car has been great. I had the rear tyres replaced at about 13,000. Mazda refunded 60% of the cost. Had 2 sets of rear shock absorbers fitted under warranty as well as a set of alloy wheels due to slight corrosion. Absolutely no quibble with the wheels and shock absorbers under warranty. The last set of shock absorbers fitted were redesinged/uprated versions. The issue with the rear tyre wear was seemingly finally narrowed down (by Mazda) to the tyres which Dunlop had designed specifically for the 5 Sport. I’m just about to buy a new 2009 model and seemingly all the previous issues with tyre wear and rear shock absorbers leaking has been sorted.

Submitted: 2009-09-11 | ID: 42567

E Lecossais, Hampshire

Mazda 5 Sport 143 2007

Following my previous comments...went to Mazda Dealer (Perry’s / Portsmouth): 1) I was told the problem was probably due to me not checking the pressure regularly enough!!! 2) Beside, they would not check the geometry and I had to go to an independent garage to do so! 3) In terms of complaints, you have to go straight to Mazda, as you can not file a complain to the dealer. Consequently, I have just sent a recorded mail to Mazda copying BBC watchdog, as I still think this tyre wear issue is cause of serious concerns for safety. I am now waiting and see what solution they (if they) come up with...

I have the same problem with a Mazda 5 2007 about the tyres; my tyres are bursting. They the company said it is not their problem. I can sell the car back to them for R120 000 or pay R100 000 then they will give me a other car.. What now?? - Carin Janse van Renburg from South Africa

Submitted: 2009-06-26 | ID: 42642

James, Gloucestershire

Mazda 5 2007

Sport Nav. Superb car! That is apart from horrific tyre wear on the front, similar problem with off-side tyre down to the metal although as it was on the inner wall you couldn’t see it! Also air con starting to play up a little - not kicking in straight away. Big shame as this is an excellent family car. Although regular checking of tyres is a must!!!

Submitted: 2009-06-23 | ID: 42641

E Lecossais, England

Mazda 5 Sport 2007

I bought my Mazda 5 Sport in October 2007, 13,000 miles on the clock at today’s date (02 June 2009). After noticing a front flat tyre, I went to replace it. Both front tyres were totally worn out on the inner side (could see the metallic bits in the tyre). Impossible to see from the outside so I had no idea...very dangerous indeed! This is my 4th Mazda (2x 323’s, 1 Premacy) but surely my last. Needless to say I have to done my Mazda services from the start so I am going to fight with Mazda to see if warranty can be taken into account. Wish me good luck as the comments on the various forums for the same topic let me think it will be ... mmm ... difficult. Also watch out for air condition system... there might be an issue there (I had one on my previous Premacy) as it does not kick in right away... Pity though as nice car to drive, and sliding doors a must.

Submitted: 2009-06-02 | ID: 42644

Sarah, Worcestershire

Mazda 5 sport 2006

I whole-heartedly agree! I have had so many problems with my Mazda 5 Sport and can’t wait to get rid of it next month. Mazda have been useless and are reluctantly agreeing to cough up half of the costs for the replacement tyres. I will never buy a Mazda again and would strongly recommend that others don’t either!

Submitted: 2009-05-28 | ID: 42640

S Stevenson, Stirlingshire

Mazda 5 2007

Please be very wary when purchasing this car. Just after buying the car we found that all 4 tyres needed replaced, Mazda paid a % and we hoped that this was just an isolated incident but yesterday it had its 12000 service and yet again all the tyres need replaced. This has made me lose all faith in this car and now feel that it could in fact be extremely dangerous. There should be a recall. I would say do NOT buy.

Aquired the Mazda 5 1.8 ts2 in May 2008. Yes, I have the one touch window problem intermittently, not a serious problem, had a brake disc issue sorted under warranty. I have done 21,000 miles so far on original tyres, just coming up to replacement time now as for the dealer, Magna Mazda in Southampton have been fantastic. I think the car and dealer have been brilliant - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-04-09 | ID: 42638

Andy Hay, Angus (Forfarshire)

Mazda 5 Sport Diesel 2006

I’ve had this car for coming up for three years now and it’s due it final service before the three years warranty runs out. I bought the car from Struans in Perth. I can see that its going to need yet another set of expensive tyres. They are worn on the outer edges and seem to last for about 10 000 miles. The problem was supposed to have been rectified at the first service where they gave me a crappy discount on the front and back tyres. Last service the problem was still apparent and this time I was told that it was because of Mazda’s ’Sporty’ set up of the car road handling. Its pathetic to say to someones face that you should only expect 10 000 miles form a set of tyres (over 400 quid a pop). This cars also had a few recalls. I would never ever buy another of this model which is a real shame as they are great cars in all other areas. Mazda should come clean and sort it out properly. As for Struans in Perth, you should hang your head in shame.

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 42634

Angry Furano Owner, Surrey

Mazda 5 2.0 Sport Furano 2006

These vehicle suffer appalling and dangerous tyre wear. The tyres wear unevenly on the inside edges where it is difficult to spot unless you crawl underneath. The dealers are very helpful and try to blame YOU for not checking the pressures every month and/or driving like a lunatic and so on. They nearly had my wife in tears last time she took it in for a service. Our Furano has done 16k miles and the bill for a service was 700 quid (and its still under warranty) verdict - AVOID at all costs.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. SHOP AROUND FOR SERVICING ON CARS!!! It can’t affect your warranty terms whatsoever. Blame yourself for paying over the odds, not Mazda. All car manufacturers are the same... - from Hampshire

Owning a Furano I know how you feel. We had the car tested at our vehicle test centre and were informed that the steering/suspension geometry was not correct for the size of wheel/tyre they had put on. When I had it out with both the dealer and Mazda, I eventually got a set of wheels (front) for half price which wasn’t the point as the vehicle is still out and at 22,000 miles. I’m on my second set of tyre’s (part worn). When I can afford to I will get rid of it - Ian Alexander from England

Submitted: 2009-04-03 | ID: 42635

Nina Ketel, England

Mazda 5 Sport 2006

Warning to all Mazda 5 Sport owners. I bought my Mazda 5 sport in October 2007 from Oakmere Mazda Dealership. Around August’07 we had a flat tyre and on changing the tyre found out about the serious bad tracking on all Mazda 5s. I contacted Oakmere where the Service Manager (SM) admitted that Mazda are aware of this problem. I arranged to take the car in for an inspection. The SM said he would order 4 new tyres for me (before he even saw the car). I said I was not prepared to pay for 4 new tyres when I have only had the car for one year, and only done 6,000 miles. In total the car had only run 14,000 miles. We took the car into the dealership and they were very sneaky and tried to get us to sign a form saying we would pay for everything. They had also booked the car in at 1:45 pm for the wheel change. I stood my ground and said this was not what I had arranged. We brought the car so the SM could check the tracking and discuss who was going to cover this cost! We were then told that this couldn’t be done outside, the car would have to be put on the ramp for a full inspection. As we couldn’t stay now we had to book another time when they had a courtesy car for us to use, as they didn’t have one today. The SM then said he would have a quick look at our tyres. He took one look at the front tyres and disappeared inside the show room, then came out to say he had now found a courtesy car and wouldn’t feel comfortable with us driving off with the state of these tyres. Do remember that this is a family car and our sales man really pushed the safety aspect. With half bald tyres it becomes a death trap! The garage is only offering a percentage of the cost of each tyre. Unless I wanted to risk having a serious accident or being given points on my licence from the police, I had no choice put to have the tyres changed. I have made an official complaint to Mazda UK requesting that the full cost is met by the garage. If you check the internet about this serious fault, you will find out it has been reported worldwide. Mazda should recall this car and rectify all Mazda 5 Sport cars before an unsuspecting family is killed, it could happen.

Submitted: 2008-10-22 | ID: 42651

Shona Helm, Scotland

Mazda 5 2.0 Diesel Sport 2006

Bought car in January 2007, had to replace all four tyres 10 months later. All slick round inner edges. Got 50% paid on rears and 25% paid on front tyres by dealer. Now 8 months after the last replacement & the tracking having supposedly been fixed we are now faced with the outer edges of the tyres wearing down where the tread meets the sides of the tyres! That doesn’t include the 3 visits to the garage to have the same shock absorber replaced or the breakdown we had less than 12 hours after the major service with the £250 bill! Steer clear of this car - I wish I had.

Your problem could just be poor camber adjustment which may have been a result from a drastic change in the vehicle’s height. A simple camber alignment could do the trick. In the absence of camber adjusting facilities, aftermarket camber bolts can be purchased and installed - from England

Submitted: 2008-09-03 | ID: 42649

I Buchan, Aberdeenshire

Mazda 5 Sport 2007

Good car spoiled by tyre wear, after one replacement of tyres and repair of tracking, 1500 miles later tyres were gone, so was the car - I sold it , had enough.

Submitted: 2008-08-28 | ID: 42648

Chris Flather, Yorkshire

Mazda 5 2ltr diesel sport 2006

Thought i was buying a car for cheap running costs. Not to be diesel particle filter light a problem and had to have it’s first service 10 months old and 7000 miles as the sump levels rise the service cost £259 is this right? Tyre wear horrific 7000 miles and tyres are ready to be replaced. They are like slicks on the edges.

Submitted: 2007-11-14 | ID: 42645

Charlotte and Eddies Dad, Lincolnshire

Mazda 5 2.0 Sport 2007

Indeed. A very appealing package. The sliding doors and fold away seats are a class apart from the alternatives. However, the tyre wear issue is a real one. Mazda are more than aware of it, but to date are unwilling to treat all customers equally when it comes to replacements. A lot goes down to how good your dealer is as to how much compensation you get on a new set of tyres. Mazda keep claiming to have fixed the problem.... If they have the need to issue a recall to ensure that ALL the cars are reset and there are no potentially lethal cars left on the road. My advice is, if you have one keep a constant check on the inner edges of all the tyres and get to the dealer as soon as you notice uneven wear.... As for buying new... I am not sure I would replace mine....

Submitted: 2007-09-24 | ID: 42646

Iain Forrest, Yorkshire

Mazda 5 2.0D Sport 2007

An appealing package, very badly let down by appalling tyre wear issues under normal driving conditions. Expect to replace all four corners before 10,000 miles are up.

Submitted: 2007-09-03 | ID: 42647

• A response has been made to Annoyed (17/01/2012 11:27:31)
  • A response has been made to I A Kirk (16/05/2011 11:33:13)

• "Hi, I have a Mazda5 which is over a year old, unfortunately I had an accident and hit a wooden post on the side road running around 40-60mph. The poi..." (Jeff Dominguez, 01/09/2010 14:56:37)

• Jeff Dominguez's question has been answered: "The airbag is a last ditch method of reducing occupant injuries. It goes off only when the crash is severe enough that the occupant would suffer serio - Mike from England' '..." (31/10/2012 09:36:27)

Mazda 5

2.0 DISI Sport - Despite being the first and only MPV of its size to boast sliding rear doors, the four-year-old Mazda5 has slipped under most buyers’ radar. But with a new design, new engines and more, maybe this second-generation seven-seater will divert potential customers away from Ford, Renault and Vauxhall dea [...]

An image of the Mazda 5 2.0 DISI Sport

Mazda 5

2.0d Sport Luxury - Do you have a large family but still hanker after a little bit of the ‘zoom-zoom’ philosophy? The second generation Mazda 5 Sport has athletic good looks and enough room for six (seven at a push) with perky performance and decent fuel economy, the MPV from the Japanese carmaker comes with rear elect [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report