Land Rover Freelander consumer car reviews and road tests

Land Rover Freelander

Land Rover Freelander consumer reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

Land Rover Freelander consumer car reviews

Panos Pastides, Hampshire

Land Rover Freelander 2003 - 2006

I have a 56 registered TD4 HSE MK1 which I have owned since October 2007; I bought it through a local LR dealer when it had 2,828 miles on the clock, it now has just under 45,000. The only problems experienced during the past 7 years have been the replacement of both rear window regulators, one set of tyres, one set of discs and pads on the front and the replacement of the rubber turbo inlet pipes to silicon on the recommendation of a fellow Freelander owner who had to replace one when on holiday in Holland, which he thought was expensive i.e. he could have replaced all with silicon for the price he paid for the one. The sunroof opens and closes fine, but on closing there appears to be a clutch slipping, but it still works fine. We have just completed a 3,498 mile trip to Italy travelling via Mount Blanc on the way out, and up through the centre of France on the way home, towing our 2010 coachman 460/2 caravan without incident, averaging 28MPG. After several years of umming and ahhing and knowing that I was going to need extra power for the journey I invested in a fuel system digital tuning module and the transformation in the power and torque was excellent, and I only used position 3 of 5 of the settings whilst on holiday and ran with it in position 2 for everyday use. I have thoroughly enjoyed my 7 years with this car and am now looking to upgrade to a Freelander 2 SD4 hoping to be as lucky with that as I have been with this one. Well done Land Rover.

Submitted: 2014-07-30 | ID: 100602

Blakey, Northumberland

Land Rover Freelander HSE AUTO 2010

I have a 2010 Freelander2 HSE Auto. It is so different from my Freelander1. I use the Freelander2 on farm tracks, when fishing and on motorways, travelling up and down the country. The fuel econony is about 30mpg on short runs and 49.8 on long motorway runs keeping at 60mh, not bad for a 4x4 auto. The Freelander2 is a great all round 4x4 at home up to its door cills in mud or on motorways with no problems found. Keep it up Land Rover!

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 42263

James Gregory, Durham

Land Rover Freelander sd4 hse 2006

I have owned a 2006 Freelander 1 and then a 2008 Freelander 2 hse auto and went on to own 3 more a 2009 xs manual, a 2011 sd4 hse auto and now a 2013 sd4 hse auto. The freelander 2 is a great car totaly different from the freelander 1. In the last snow storms I travelled with ease through 600mm plus snow drifts as well as towing cars out of deep snow. Well done Land Rover on what I think is the best compact 4x4 ever!

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 42262

Geoff Kelly, England

Land Rover Freelander gs 2008

I have had my Freelander2 gs from new in Jan ’08. I have to say it has been a great car and I have had no problems at all. The tyres needed changing at 21k and I also changed the front pads, but the back did not need doing. No other faults, but forget the mileage claimed; my true is 34 motorway and 28 urban. A great car, but search on the history of rear diffs going, of which there are many!

I thought the rear diff problem was only on 2007 models and older? I heard it was fixed in 2008 but maybe much later in the year? - Dawn Munnings from England

Submitted: 2012-11-27 | ID: 42260

William Elgie, Lincolnshire

Land Rover Freelander 1.8 petrol 2001

I bought a 2001 Freelander from a main dealer costing £ 12,500 .For the first 4 years it was a brilliant car then after that it was rubbish. I had it serviced every time it was due, but the head gasket went on it four times costing a fortune to replace. The model was a 1.8 petrol. The milage was only 71000, which for a car of 11 years old is nothing. I contacted Land Rover about the problem and they didn’t want to know. I was told by an AA patrol officer it was a design flaw with this model, which I told Landrover, but they still didn’t want to know.S o dont buy a 1.8 petrol Land Rover as it will be a costly mistake. Cost for head gasket is £650 a time!

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 42259

Gerald Clapcott, Cornwall

Land Rover Freelander GS 2011

I have previously owned both a mk1 then a 2007 Freelander mk2, which were as different as chalk and cheese. The mk2 is a fantastic, trouble free and a brilliant drive. I’ve now changed for 2011 model. Well done Landrover!

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 42257

Bob Cockerham, Yorkshire

Land Rover Freelander RD4 2.2 E GS 2010

Having owned this vehicle for 10 months (6,500 miles) it is long enough to present some balanced feedback and as an ex Land Rover mechanic (25 years OUT of the trade) and ex- owner of some early LR models I hope I understand what is good and bad in a 4DW motor vehicle. A great vehicle in many, many ways but in the first 3 weeks of ownership I told the dealer and Land Rover I was close to rejecting the vehicle as it went into safe mode twice in a week and would not rev over 2,000 rpm. I consider this was very likely brought about by the fitting of a Land Rover tow bar kit by the supplying dealer a week after delivery (modern tow bar electrics have to be matched into the computer) and at over £500 for the LR kit (fitted) this not only should not happen but it is also a complete rip off price. Otherwise the vehicle has been fault free so far. Round town type journeys give a fuel return of up to 35mpg which is very acceptable for a vehicle of this weight driving all 4 wheels and on longer journeys keeping around 70 the mpg hits around 40mpg when loaded. Not long after delivery I asked LR about supplying up-rated headlight bulbs as the standard bulbs throw only average light, LR dealers though cannot or will not supply them but they are available through the internet. The down side of general ownership of any Freelander I feel is it is far too expensive to service at a LR dealership, a first service price quoted to me for what is no more than a oil and filter change and a kick of the tyres was £386 and within 2 minutes of pushing on that price this dropped to £275 and as in law you can keep a full warranty if you use a VAT registered local garage using genuine factory sourced parts you can guess where may Landy is going. Our Freelander is not used as a Chelsea tractor and goes with us to the local allotments full of gardening gear and Yorkshire Moors/Dales when we go hiking, but I have decked out the load area with a home made removable covering. As it is a manual version and does not have a low ratio gearbox I have reservations about how aggressive I can be as 1st gear is just not low enough to climb steep, loose boulder strewn, broken tracks. That is were an auto version should score better, as then there are no worries about having to slip the clutch or go that fast you risk grounding and damaging the underside of what is not a cheap vehicle. In last winters snow (in the snow setting) it performed very well while my wife’s car sat for 2 weeks in the drive unable to travel anywhere. So in summary: A great vehicle when compared to the Land Rovers and even Range Rovers of old and on the motorway it is quieter up to 70 mph than my wife’s BMW due to the BMW run flat tyre system and the Landy gets you there just as quick. One other final comment, why on earth would you not want a spare wheel and why is it an optional extra?

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 42258

Colin, Sussex

Land Rover Freelander TD4 2007

At the moment I drive for work a 7.5 Ton Isuzu and I can honestly say that that is much smoother, much more responsive, and a much more comfortable drive than the Freelander 2 I am unfortunate to own. It wallows about like a drunken elephant, acceleration is appalling, there is just no power. You have to absolutely floor it to get it moving at any speed and constant gear changing traffic is just hard work. I now realise that you have to have an automatic if you buy one of these. It feels as if it is built out of tin, try closing the bonnet, sounds like a Ford Transit, and if you don’t use it much the battery runs down, even the batteries in the remote run out fast. Yesterday we drove into central London and had the Sat Nav set to take us there, it was utterly useless when there was a problem on the roads, admittedly it got us close but when there was a diversion it gave up, several times it did not even show a route to take. All in all it’s probably the worst car for drivability, I have been unfortunate to own. On the other side of the coin, there is loads of room inside and plenty of boot space and if I get stuck in the snow it will probably be brilliant, and if you take your cars to uncharted territory or live rural then it will suit fine. But for a comfortable road car forget it.

Submitted: 2011-05-29 | ID: 42247

Alan, Saint Kitts and Nevis

Land Rover Freelander V6 2.5 Petrol 2006

I bought a new 3 door V6 2.5 in UK in 2002 and exported it to the Caribbean, where I live. After 4 years the automatic gear box packed up. Various remedies were tried but to no avail and I had to air freight a new one in at my own expense - the best that LR would do was supply a new gear box at the re-con price! I sold the vehicle fast and, guess what, bought a new late 2006 V6 2.5 5 door for a knockdown price - do I ever learn? Anyway, 3 and a half years later I have had no trouble until last week when it started mis-firing. three of the six coils are faulty, according to the computer. FedEx are bringing me some new ones, hopefully arriving tomorrow. It really does drive beautifully on and off road - I live off-road up a steep rough dirt track but the difficulty of obtaining spare parts in such a remote location and the very positive road reports on the Freelander 2 are making me actively consider changing now before the next catastrophe!! I was very impressed with an Australian video on YouTube showing the Freelander 2 on the rough. And if you squint it looks like a Range Rover!!

Submitted: 2011-03-17 | ID: 42248

Neil Osbourne, Northumberland

Land Rover Freelander ES 2001

Having gone through many Northumberland winters in many different cars I finally decided that it was high time I bought a LandRover. What a fantastic decision it has turned out to be. Very reliable and comfortable with heated leather seats as well. Decent performance and economy from an engine pushing 100,000 miles. The bodywork is superb too. I hope it retains its reliability and I’m looking forward to many more miles.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-19 | ID: 42250

Victoria Horsewood, Lincolnshire

Land Rover Freelander TD4 2001

I have had my TD4 2001 Freelander for 5 years now and I can say this has been a brilliant little 4x4. It has just done 168,000kms and is still going strong. Mechanically it’s sound and passes its MoT annually with minimal cost. In the last 5 years I have had to replace a alternator, brake caliper and some coolant pipes, not bad for the sort of mileage it has done. Only bugbear is the electric windows, only one of which still work. It was great in the snow and kept me mobile, it has towed my horse and trailer around on a Sunday without a problem. I am going to part exchange it shortly as I need more towing weight and I will be sort of sorry to see it go, not sure if I have been lucky with mine but it’s served me well.

Submitted: 2011-02-02 | ID: 42249

Frank Anatole, London

Land Rover Freelander SE 2008

The Freelander 2 is an entirely different car to the Freelander 1 and really deserves to be rated separately as the reviews above can give a rather misleading impression. This car is simply brilliant. Everything from drivability to comfort and safety have been improved. I have owned the car for almost 3 years and had not one single problem. The word is slowly getting out that this is a car Land Rover have got right as they have clearly learned from the mistakes on the Mk 1.

Submitted: 2010-11-09 | ID: 42252

Steve, France

Land Rover Freelander TD4 s Magellan 2005

Nothing but trouble from day 1 - five years on and just had the injectors changed for the fourth time. I actually like the car. it pulls my boats well and is great off road although seems to hate long journeys and motorway driving. Shame ! I’m going to change it for an X3 because it’s just too unreliable. Sorry...<br /><br />

Can’t beat the Honda CRV 2.2 i-CTDi for towing! I tow my boat on the trailer obviously, caravan, horsebox, car trailers etc and the car gets on with the job no bother at all! When towing it feels like there’s nothing on the back at all, on the motorway I easily get 48 mpg with the cruise control on, when towing I usually get 29mpg which isn’t that bad! - Pat M from County Down

Yes, I agree with the last comment about Diesel CRV. I tow a trailer and caravan with 08CRV ex and it’s great. I get 44mpg max and 29 when towing 1500kg caravan. Thought the Rav2 was good but CRV is better - Fred Philips from Yorkshire

Don’t you know where your diesel engine was made? By the same company that makes your next car! Oh well happy days - Alan Carter from Northumberland

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 42253

Eamonn Reid, County Armagh

Land Rover Freelander 2.0 TD4 S SW 2005

Hi, I’m currently driving a 2005 Freelander TD4 S SW and only one word can sum it up - TERRIBLE! The car has given me sooo much trouble. The interior is shocking as well, your legs are offset to the right for the pedals and the steering is offset to the left! What’s that all about??? The seats are far from comfortable and the engine is noisy and underpowered. Visually I like the car alot, it looks funky and makes me want a new one but after this car, I don’t think so! Also I used to teach in a school and another teacher drove a new 2008 2.2 TD4 HSE and she was having trouble as well with hers! It doesn’t come as a surprise to see LR down at the bottom of Satisfaction and Reliabilty surveys because they are terrible.

Submitted: 2010-09-02 | ID: 42251

Sandy Gait, England

Land Rover Freelander gs auto 2009

I had a fantastic Discovery 3 but a change of caravan meant I did not need such a large tug, so went to my local dealer, he gave what I paid for the Discovery a year ago and I bought a Freelander 2 gs auto 2009 ex demonstrator, with 4500 on the clock and full landrover warranty. What a brilliant car, it is lively, very economical and handles brilliantly. My wife and I took up the dealer offer of a half day Landrover experience to see what it could do, (we had one with the Discovery and were amazed ). We wanted to see how close it could come off road, well apart from 2 very extreme sections where you needed adjustable suspension and low ratio, the FL 2 was terrific, up and downsteep slushy/muddy slopes, thick snow it gave complete confidence,it went places the opposition can only dream about. Well done Land Rover still top in all the classes.

Submitted: 2010-04-20 | ID: 42245

Willie Hendriks, South Africa

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 HSE 2008

I have done 70,000km’s in 12 months, bought it secondhand on 32,000km’s. If it wasn’t for the radio software upgrade and right front electric seat new gear frame, the car would have had a 100% perfect record. The standard tyres have done 100,000km’s it is now time to change them. It is amazing for a 4x4 that the tyres and alignment stays true. I average 12.3kilos/liter at +120kph, my best were 13.6 at 120kph. Can recomend this SUV with pride. NB! Excellent handling and accelaration, thanks to 400nm.

Submitted: 2010-03-15 | ID: 42246

Julian Brown, Norfolk

Land Rover Freelander TDI 2003

Really pleased with the Freelander, does exactly what it says on the tin ! Mine may be a bit dated yet with 100k on the clock it cruises along very comfortably. Being manual it is a little agricultural around town but I accept this as all part of the Land Rover experience. Once rolling along in 5th it is not bad on the economy front, all things considered. I have the 3 door so the hardtop bit at the back unclips for summer fun! I believe mine has the BMW engine with a timing chain so no cam belt service which saves a few bob! It’s not a luxury vehicle but has good a/c, leather seats etc., and a ruddy good radio/cd system. It has done 30k on a set of tyres and there is still plenty of tread left. All in all, yes it has it’s faults but it is a Land Rover not a Jag and 4 wheel drive during this snowy, cold spell has been a saviour! Here’s to the next 100k miles!

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 42235

Vance, Hampshire

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 HDI HSE 2007

This is the biggest pile of sh**e i have ever owned. It has given me nothing but trouble since day one. I think I could bath my son in the passenger footwell after a night of rain, that’s how bad the leaking is. The seats have jamed twice on me and it takes for EVER to heat the cabin up. The only good thing about it is the engine, which isn’t even Land Rovers, its a Peugeot/ Ford hdi engine!! Stay well away if you even want a half DECENT car. Buy a RAV4/ CRV, VITARA, X TRAIL, TIGUAN or even a Kuga if you want a nice reliable and easy to run small 4x4

Submitted: 2009-11-30 | ID: 42234

Michael Garrett-Yates, Nottinghamshire

Land Rover Freelander SE 1800 petrol 2009

I bought my Freelander second hand having done research that advocated a cautionary approach. The vehicle was on at top book price for its year and on face of it appeared to be value for money. However, alarm bells were ringing about the mechanical and electical history of Freelanders in general so I forked out for extra warranty cover in addition to the usual dealer post sale assurances. I’m so glad that I did! I do a working commute of around 50 miles per day to my local office but am ocassionally required to travel anywhere in the country. I purchased a 4x4 because my work does take me into areas, weathers and terrains that require the capabilities of this sort of vehicle and as a health care professional I cannot contemplate any circumumstances where I fail to attend a client. Reliability of transport is therefore an essential part of my professional portfolio. I am presently faced with another four years - the length of the finance deal - of uncertainty with this vehicle. I have been running the vehicle for 8 months and in that time it has been off the road three times for repairs. At this moment in time it is off the road for for repair of the head following a water leak that was only discovered during a routine service. Luckily I have a very good relationship with my dealer as I have bought all my cars of him in the past. He has been good enough to provide me with transport so that I can continue with my work. Would I buy another Land Rover? Nope! If I performed to the same standard as my vehicle, I would be struck off (not to mention sued)!

Sorry to hear about your problems with your Freelander. My first petrol Freelander, a 2000 Lxi, also needed a Cylinder Head Gasket after 50,000 miles otherwise it was problem free over 4 yrs. I now own a 2054 petrol Freelander which has covered 40,000 trouble free miles over 3 years and even if the head gasket needs to be replaced at 50,000 miles I feel that it has been good value for money - Edward Green from Durham

Submitted: 2009-09-15 | ID: 42243

Harry Wilson, Perthshire

Land Rover Freelander tdi 2002

No No No. It will break down. I had two with over 100,000 miles each (company cars, not my choice). Very good handling, tough off-road but too high first gear and lack bottom end for towing or off-road work. Very poor ventilation/demisting, noisy and sooo unreliable.

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 42242

Phil Bryant, England

Land Rover Freelander xei 2004

I bought this car as an ex demo with 2,000 miles on clock from a main dealer. In the 4 years I have had it, it’s practively lived in the garage:- 2 replacement clutches, hydraulic clutch failure, both window regulators in drivers and rear drivers side door faulty, new steering rack, stereo speaker in drivers door, 2 replacement headlights on drivers side and rear nearside taillight replaced due to water leaking in, rear tailgate window leaked, washer bottle cracked, ’god knows how’, new exhaust, forward mount of the rear diff replaced, 2 sets of front brake pads and on the 2nd time had to have the calipers and disc’s changed as well, new set of tyres all round, ’this car by the way has only done to date 35,000 miles, numerous headlight bulbs blown 3rd set of wiper blades. As we speak it still has to get done:- alarm imobliser fault and noisy tappet sorted. Good things about this car, looks nice and good soft roader, body wise strongly built. Would I buy another one? Not on your nelly! I’m now looking at either a Hyundai Tuscan or a Kia Sorrento, my own fault really. I did some reseach on Freelanders before I bought this and one of the main comments was that you will be on first names terms with your mechanic, and it’s true. Mine is Dave by the way, he’s not here at the moment; gone on a Carribean cruise - I think with my money!!!

UPDATE: It’s me again! Just a follow up on my previous tale. Since I wrote the above report, it’s now had both rear mounts on the diff change, steering belt changed twice, head gasket done at 40’000 miles, 2 slow punchures. I don’t think this was a friday afternoon car, it must have been a sunday morning one!! - Phil Bryant from Hampshire

Update on previous report... Now had both rear mounts on the rear diff changed, 2 steering belts renewed - in 6 months!! Head gasket changed, 2 slows on front offside and rear nearside due to alloy corrosion, will need to renew all wheels soon. Still have not had chance to sell it as its always in garage!! - Phil Bryant from England

Me again, another set of tyres,’£552.00’ and now the water pump!! - Phil Bryant from England

Head gasket gone again, new cam belt and I think clutch is starting to go again now. Car now done 43,600 miles. Land Rover should hang their head in shame in selling this pile of s**t - Phil Bryant from England

Thank God, finally managed to sell it. I traded it in for a Kia Sportage,’new 2011 shape’. absolutely brilliant, good build quality, lots of spec and more importantly, no problems with it, it actually does what it says on the tin , ’It goes’ and this Kia has got a 7 year warranty, it’s a shame Land Rover did not! Will never touch a Land Rover ever again! - Phil Bryant from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 42236

Richard Griffith, Conwy

Land Rover Freelander XS 2007

Still own a mark 1 (diesel) with 136k miles and no real problems encountered. The mark 2 is however a class apart in every respect. More comfortable, quieter and refined than many a prestige saloon- speaks volumes for the engineering /development team entrusted to overcome the mark 1’s unenviable reputation. Have now covered 30k trouble free miles-oh by the way new cars tyres last twice as long as the original as well as having vastly superior handling.

Submitted: 2009-01-02 | ID: 42271

David Parry-Jones, Shropshire

Land Rover Freelander Td4 HSE 2008

As a motoring journalist I was fortunate in being able to try all the 4x4s on lengthy road tests - if only everyone could they would come to the same conclusion. The Freelander2 was head and shoulders above the competition in both, value, engineering and its delightful new sophisticated interior. I still love it to bits and it tows delightfully.

Submitted: 2008-10-31 | ID: 42264

Patrick, Shropshire

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 diesel SE 2007

Just love the Freelander 2. Off and on road it is brilliant. Just a pity that the colour range is a bit uninspiring. I have the tamboraflame (orange) seen on most Freelander publicity but no longer available. Such a pity. When we see other Freelander 2’s in this colour the other car occupants invariably wave at us and us at them. Silly maybe but this car is fun so why not enjoy!

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 42265

Iwan Rodgers, Denbighshire

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 2006

I do actually use the Freelander both on and off road and this is why it was worth spending a little extra money. I own a farm and the fields become difficult terrain when the rains come and the CR-V and Rav4 just wouldn’t be able to cope.

Submitted: 2007-11-05 | ID: 42269

Sarah, Cheshire

Land Rover Freelander 2007

The latest shape Freelander is a lovely car. MUCH better that the previous shape. Still quite a rare site on the roads too at the moment. Very pleased.

Submitted: 2007-10-25 | ID: 42270

Mike Harris, Norfolk

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 HSE 5 dr 2007

I’m really impressed with my Freelander. The drive feels smooth and seamless. Off road driving in this car is great fun and the design has a real touch of class about it. A bit special.

Submitted: 2007-09-06 | ID: 42268

Louise, Middlesex

Land Rover Freelander 1.8S 2007

The previous model Freelander was OK, but nothing special. Build quality was only as good as less expensive rivals. Quite economical, but under powered.

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 42267

Chris Sandford, Flintshire

Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 SE 2007

Land Rover have delivered a fantastic car that bears no resemblance to the glitch prone Mk1. It really took a lot to stick with Land Rover after owning the previous Freelander model but I’m a firm believer in supporting home grown products and this one is a beauty. If you are in anyway unsure about this vehicle because of things you’ve heard about the previous one don’t be, they really don’t compare.

Submitted: 2007-08-09 | ID: 42266

• A response has been made to Geoff Kelly (27/11/2012 21:25:40)
  • A response has been made to Steve (11/10/2010 22:02:55)

• "Any ideas why my 2.0 diesel Freelander 2006 5 door has started losing power uphill and on the motorway around a speed of 70mph? It only lasts a few s..." (jane, 05/11/2014 17:22:13)
  • "2003 Land Rover Freelander Question: Car starts fine but drive it, turn it off, it won't restart...." (al haddad, 26/10/2014 16:29:41)
  • "Land rover freelander 98 diesel: car starts runs for a few seconds then cuts out? ( my car got stolen, I got it back with no keys so I bought another..." (monty, 06/07/2014 14:08:08)
  • "Hello, I have a landrover freelander td4 and all of a sudden it keeps cutting out, while being driven it felt like something was slipping earlier and..." (Emma, 19/06/2014 00:03:57)
  • "can anyone please tell me why the hill desent warning light has come on and wont now go off on our freelander and how I can get it to go off thanks..." (bill, 29/05/2014 19:02:18)

• Pieter Wentzel's question has been answered: "Hi Pieter-I wish I had a simple answer for your problem, but, having similar problems with my TD4, I have been battling non-stop for 2 weeks to resolv - Gerhardt Nell from South Africa' '..." (16/04/2014 13:05:48)
  • Husskhat's question has been answered: "Hi, my 2011 sd4 auto sounds like it is wheel spinning on gravel when pulling away or sometimes changing gear on a hill, is this the same thing? Dealer - Steve Jackman from England' '..." (27/08/2013 12:10:41)

Vauxhall Antara