Kia Picanto consumer car reviews and road tests

Kia Picanto

Kia Picanto consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Kia Picanto consumer car reviews

Bob Whatley, East Sussex

Kia Picanto 2004 - 2007

Well !! Three years down the road with this little car and what can I say? Its amazingly reliable and has not failed its M.O.T. once. I had the cam belt replaced soon after purchase due to age rather than mileage and this was surprisingly cheap and the front anti roll bar bushes needed replacing which , again, was very cheap to do as well. It does exactly what it says on the tin. The build quality is pretty good even if the materials are not the best and now at 10 years old, it is remarkably free of rattles inside. Down sides? Yes, there are a few, The fuel consumption is not up to the advertised figures but given the test conditions used to obtain those, I`m not really surprised. It still does pretty well anyway. The road tax levels are now high for this class with many rivals costing £o - £30 per year, this costs £110 now, although, the later versions were cheaper, (a sign of the times I suppose). The ride quality is shocking on anything but billiard table surfaces, which we certainly don`t have down this neck of the woods. Its a good job the steering is quite responsive so you can dodge the potholes. High speeds are not its strong point either. Up to about 50-55 its fine but venture much over that and the noise of the engine gets frightening. You tend to back off out of pity for the poor little thing. It IS smooth however. I have taken it to 80 on a couple of occasions and that scared the life out of me. But, taken into context, it is a city car so that is where it is most suitable. Generally though, I have to say its a fine little car and won`t disappoint you providing you are not looking for a long distance hot hatch `cause that it, definitely, is not. Oh, and as long as you don`t want to carry people AND luggage its quite spacious but the boot is tiny. The equipment levels are excellent for this class though. Brakes are excellent, with ABS and EBD, it stops quickly enough. So would I recommend it as a good second hand buy? Yes I certainly would from my experience. Kia is not a brand that should be discounted when looking for a cheap runabout. Their cars are not bad at all !!

Submitted: 2014-08-25 | ID: 102058

Dave, Sussex

Kia Picanto 2012

I’ve had many brand new cars over my years, from Escorts, Minis, vauxhalls, Cortinas and even a Proton, but this Picanto is something else! What a great, nifty, sharp little mover she is and the space inside is unbelievable! My Tardis!

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 42003

Keith, Northamptonshire

Kia Picanto 2012

Rubbish car with only 38 mpg from a 1300cc engine. I keep taking it back to the garage but Kia are not interested.

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 42002

Paul Hollington, England

Kia Picanto 1.0s 2006

Small and cute, are the only terms to describe the Picanto, and our 1.0s is no exception. Bought second hand and now six months into ownership, we’re ready to reveal all to potential buyers. So first the good points: Easy to park, good all round visibility, fun to drive (around town anyway), good interior with space for four adult passengers. Brakes are good if snatchy, good tyres improve handling and reduce road noise (Bridgestone). Bad points: The boot is very small, but does have split rear seat. The fuel economy is not as good as claimed either by Kia or prospective sellers, the best figure 47mpg, worse 37mpg which is only slightly more than my Kia Sedona (I was driving it hard) 1.0 litre engine is very poor on fast roads or motorways, you really have to rev the engine through the gears to make it go at all, so hills and overtaking need to be planned. The suspension is hard and you do feel every bump in the road, and the CD player certainly feels them too. Seats are flimsy and not very well padded, leg room is poor for a 5’10 male driver, OK for the ladies though. The rest of interior is good though, well put together and it feels built to last. Finally our example had 65,000 on the clock when bought by us, now had 68,000 plus, so OK so far. Prices on some websites can be high for second hand models, so check out Parkers guide for up to date price information, before buying. If you can get one with service history all the better. Would I buy this car again? Well yes is the answer, even with the limitations. The best bit is it’s fun to drive.

Submitted: 2012-10-15 | ID: 42000

Ken Gill, Yorkshire

Kia Picanto 1 2012

Quite a nice little car, but Kia and the dealerships are using fictious figures on fuel consumption to sell the car. They quote 52/77mpg with average 67. Anyone who gets this must have found the only one. The true mpg is 52/53 if driven sensibly.

Submitted: 2012-10-07 | ID: 42001

Tony Tilbury, England

Kia Picanto 1.1 litre 2012

Very reliable, a pleasure to drive and an audio set up I find excellent. The Mileage is very good. I have no complaints at all!

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 41998

Diana Brown, England

Kia Picanto Domino 2011

Bought this when it was 3 months old as the previous owner found it too small!! Suits us perfectly; ecomical, quiet, very cheap to tax and insure. My son borrowed it to drive to Edinburgh (about 350 miles) and he said it was uncomfortable for long trips. My only problem is it seems narrow inside. If my husband changes gear he gropes my thigh (unless I just got lucky?!). Maybe I should diet, but I don’t have same problem in my son’s Corsa.

Submitted: 2012-05-27 | ID: 41999

Joe P, Hampshire

Kia Picanto 2011

I have the new three door Picanto. What a wonderful little car. I am a big fella and I have no trouble behind the wheel. It’s comfortable, handles well and very cheap to run. The 1.0 gives you low emissions, so road tax is free and insurance is cheap. It is a well built car with a 7 year warranty. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-12-22 | ID: 42007

William Taggert, Nottinghamshire

Kia Picanto 2008

I have done over 51000 in two and a half years, with not a single fault! If only all cars were built this good!!

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 42004

Katlego Ntshe, South Africa

Kia Picanto a 2010

I have always owned old cars, then I decided to buy a new car, a Kia Picanto. I love my small, cheap car to bits. I’ve done 15,000k in 4 months. There is one problem, the car sweves to the right regardless if I drive slow or fast, but it does not rattle. I still love the car and and intend to keep it for a very long time, even if I buy another car.

Try getting your wheel re-aligned. This could help - Mike Rocco from Philippines

Submitted: 2011-10-25 | ID: 42005

Raymund Salas, Philippines

Kia Picanto A/T 2011

Good interior and exterior, but in our Country I call it the ’Gas Guzzler’, averaging. 8/10 Km per litre. It beats my Galant 2000 2.0.

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 41997

Brian Portelli, Malta

Kia Picanto 2010

Rubbish car, service a disaster. I discovered the car that I thought was new wasn’t. Don’t buy Kia cars from Malta.

Don’t buy a Kia anywhere, they’re crap - Keith Tinworth from Northamptonshire

Submitted: 2011-06-01 | ID: 41994

Nadine Wallace, Malta

Kia Picanto 2005

Bought this Kia Picanto in November 2005 and yes I’m still paying the car loan in 2011. Already have oil leak in the gear box and oil leak from the power steering , the inside roof went down and the company in Malta told me as the guantee was 3 yrs the are not responsible for any of this. I was always told that Kia was a serious company, but now how can I think that? I don’t expect a 4 yrs old car to have all these defects? Well I can pass around the word about this and say that whoever buys a Kia expect it to only last 4 yrs...

Submitted: 2011-05-19 | ID: 41993

Stephen Lloyd, Yorkshire

Kia Picanto 2010

Lovely motor all round except .. first gear is totally useless and it can be very scary in a cross wind.

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 41996

Dereks Sheffield, Lancashire

Kia Picanto 2010

Got it brand new, had no trouble with it. Bolton Kia are a very good company to deal with, the car sells itself, no complaints.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 41992

Sanjay Curry, Zimbabwe

One word: rubbish.

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 41990

Christine McClean, Scotland

Kia Picanto 2005

The engine has been hunting since the day I got it Kia customer services said it was to do with the fuel consumption and it was meant to be like that. I have asked various mechanics that have worked with cars for years and they all say the engine is hunting which is a bit like a miss firing spark plug shudder while the engine is idling. I also have a problem with the third brake light as it will only work when the tailgate is open.

Submitted: 2011-02-12 | ID: 41991

Declan Kelly, England

Kia Picanto 2008

To be honest, considering that the Picanto now comes with a 7 year warranty, and still costs below £7000, you can’t expect a luxury vehicle for the money. I own and drive the Picanto on a regular basis, I drive the Picanto 2 and some of the comments within your report - although accurate - are in some respects quite unrealistic. For example, "The power steering is over assisted for our liking". The steering in the Picanto rival much better more expensive models such as the Yaris or I might even stick my neck out and say a Polo. The steering is a pleasure to use allowing accurate handling, and considering the size of the car, the steering is very well balanced. Another point I must have to make is the 0-60mph speed is very perky considering its a small, low geared 1.1 litre engine. Kia claim it will do it in 15.1 seconds, however I myself have shaved nearly 4 seconds off that time once the car had been driven over a longer period of time. However, I must agree with you on the comfort front. Although the seats are rather comfortable on first impressions, take it from a person who lives in a rural area, potholes or speed bumps are an absolute nightmare. In fact, the suspension is of such poor quality, I had the front struts changed on my Kia within the first month ownership service. The interior is simply awful, the plastic interior is easily scratched and any potential dust is noticable from any lighting situation. The car also now only holds four passengers customers, whereas the model I own holds five, and it can easily cope with the pressures. The limited engine selections also limit the potential of this car, a potential diesel model could make this car into quite the economical run around that people may require.

Submitted: 2010-08-18 | ID: 41989

Alan Wheatly, England

Kia Picanto 3 2009

I purchased our Picanto 3 in September 2009 and have had absolutely no problems. It is great to drive, easy to get in and out of and is very good on fuel consumption. All-in-all, very pleased and a great little car.

Submitted: 2010-08-16 | ID: 41988

Kevin Pearson, Kent

Kia Picanto 2009

Hi, I have had my Picanto for a year now. 6 months after I got it - from new - the wheel nuts went rusty. Has anybody had the same trouble?

Yeah, my wheel nuts have gone rusty too, on my 2009 - from England

Submitted: 2010-08-10 | ID: 41982

Ken Hand, Staffordshire

Kia Picanto Strike 2010

I’ve recently purchased a Picanto Strike 2010 reg, anyone who wants a great little reliable car with not too much money to spend should consider a Picanto. It’s just been voted the most reliable small car on the road we bought this one because we had a 2005 1litre gs, when we got rid of it I missed it so much we had to get another one and this one’s just as enjoyable to own and with the bigger engine it’s a bit nippier. So here’s to some happy motoring with the best little car on the road, thanks KIA.

Ken, I have seen a 2010 1100 5 door manual Picanto for sale with just 12,000 miles. It is all genuine - I know the dealer very well. No experience with the Picanto - would you still say a good little car to buy - have you had any issues. Anything I should know Ken? Thanks, - Brian Harris from Essex

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 41984

Smith Steve, Hampshire

Kia Picanto ice 2007

Rubbish. Air con leaked from new. Washer bottle leaks when filled to top on connection. Rear suspension changed 3 times and they still squeak in warm weather. Front anti roll bar bushes sound terrible when driving over speed bumps. Stereo has intermitent glitches. Rear brake drum replaced as faulty. New Picato has rear brake shoes and no longer the discs. New Picanto only has 2 seats in the back, not 3. Metal body work is paper thin. This car will dent by just touching it. Everything rattles inside. Fuel gauge sometime does not show full when filled right up. Engine makes loud squeal sound when started in winter in cold. This car is my first new car ever and has been the only one that has caused me problems. It has only covered 19,000 miles. Kia can’t resolve issues and Kia UK never reply to letters of complaints to them. Servicing expensive. If you go to main dealer for 7 years to keep warranty in place the servicing will cost you £1000’s. Chevy gives you 5 years free warranty, servicing and breakdown cover. I will be switching to them.

You are a sad person, mine’s fab - Rob Hazeldine from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 41986

Jan Geoffrey Abalos, Philippines

Kia Picanto 2009

The Kia Picanto is the best. It is my first car and I dont have any regrets. Great value for money it has a strong engine, with 4 cylinders unlike other compacts (i10, celerio, alto) that only have 3. It has a cute exterior as well and a good design, very roomy on the inside, feels like a size of a sedan inside, actually it is like a sedan that doesn’t have a trunk.

Submitted: 2010-01-23 | ID: 41981

Sanjay Singh, Newport

Kia Picanto lx2 2008

Love this cute little car... great mileage and zippy... very comfortable!

Submitted: 2009-01-28 | ID: 42013

Mark Pickett, Cheshire

Kia Picanto LX 2005

Just completed 62000 miles in my Picanto and about to Part-ex. Showing signs of mileage now. Parts don’t tend to last long in particular brake pads. Make sure you get the dealer to throw in a spare tyre the foam kit Kia give instead of a spare tyre is useless.

Submitted: 2008-03-25 | ID: 42012

Amy Hughes, Hampshire

Kia Picanto 1.1 3 5dr 2007

I love my Picanto, it’s such a good car and at a price that doesn’t break the bank! Really affordable to run too. Great nippy little mover and comes with an ipod socket so all mod cons. Loads more space than I expected. Absolutely can’t rave about it enough.

iPod socket in your stereo, mine is iPod ready only - Tyrone Bill from Philippines

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 42008

Dave Bennett, Westmoorland

Kia Picanto 1.1 LX 2007

Bargain price and no compromise! Roomy inside, well equipped with air con, C.D player and electric windows. A good buy.

Submitted: 2007-11-02 | ID: 42011

Rachael Nicks, Cornwall

Kia Picanto 1.1 LS 5dr 2007

Really nicely designed little car. I’m very pleased with it’s performance but have noticed that it’s not as comfortable on the motorway as it is nipping around town. I very rarely do any long journeys so for me it’s not really a problem but may be a consideration for other users. It’s really very good value for money and wonderfully cheap to insure and run.

Submitted: 2007-10-27 | ID: 42010

• "There was a noise like a spring snapped and when I got home water was dripping. It is an automatic and has aircon. Was told that it's the aircon but ..." (Ina Malan, 09/11/2014 05:32:21)
  • "when my cars parked up and locked the alarn goes off in windy conditions it stops for a short while then starts again so i switch it off with the rem..." (t molloy, 06/11/2014 17:09:19)
  • "Will a Kia 5 door hatchback 2009 model front bumper section fit on my 2008 5 door Kia 5 door hatchback? They look very similar apart from a slight di..." (howard, 22/10/2014 12:58:19)
  • "My front door windows do not clear morning dew from the outside when you wind the window down as if the bottom seal is not touching the window itself..." (Kathleen metcalf, 04/10/2014 14:22:05)
  • "My car in the morning when I start the engine it stars ok after 1min the idling goes up and when the engine is heated and the car is moving it goes b..." (Milton, 30/08/2014 07:20:22)

• Richard's question has been answered: "Hi Richard. You don`t quote ant engine size but the 1.0 and 1.1 on the earlier Picanto has a timing belt. Hope that helps. Regards Bob - Bob Whatley from East Sussex' '..." (25/08/2014 01:58:35)
  • Catherine Steen's question has been answered: "If this happens more in cold weather its probably the power steering pump, no need to bother, mine’s squealed for 5 years. It should stop sqealing soo - Ivan from Suffolk' '..." (24/03/2014 16:40:49)

Kia Picanto

3 1.25L - The fact that very few people are aware of Picanto’s supposed meaning is probably a good thing; there can’t be many people who would leap at the prospect of driving ‘a small chicken’. Regardless, there’s nothing poultry about this small yet mighty supermini. With a slick new style, swifter performan [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Kia Picanto 3 1.25L

Kia Picanto

Ice 1.1-Litre - There are many rivals with more prestige but this city loving Picanto’s good looks, affordability and green ethos will appeal too many who need a car for the urban jungle. Small on the outside but surprisingly big on the inside, this city slicker may have just what you want.

Road Test Reports Says 3.5 star ratingFull Report