Kia Carens consumer car reviews and road tests

Kia Carens

Kia Carens consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Kia Carens consumer car reviews

Frank Madin, Nottinghamshire

Kia Carens 2lt LE 2006

I have had my Kia Carens 2lt LE from new in 2006 and 4 MOTs later all I have had to do is get a new battery for the key.

Submitted: 2012-06-28 | ID: 41901

Roger Borton Borton, Staffordshire

Kia Carens 2005

I purchased a Kia Carens because of the height. A great car that has never let me down in 3 years. I was so pleased with it I have purchased a 2010 model. I would recommed this car to anyone wanting a spacious reliable vehicle.

Submitted: 2012-06-11 | ID: 41898

Peter Avinou, England

Kia Carens diesel LS 7 seat 2009

There is banging and clattering at the rear end of this car, but nothing obvious is causing this. A quite ridiculous spare wheel arrangement and no 16" 5 stud wheels available, although this would not fit that spare wheel carrier. The windscreen washers are a perpetual failure and they cannot be accessed at all. The flimsy insulation panel under the bonnet is a real mess. This was never intended to be removed either, any attempt to remove the fastening and the panel breaks. Brittle! No help anywhere on removing the OEM radio. I have owned numerous Kias but this is the last!

Submitted: 2012-05-26 | ID: 41900

Gerald Mills, Nottinghamshire

Kia Carens 2006

Hi there! I run a 2 ltr cdr Carens, which I have had since ’06 and returns 45 to the gallon doing 50 or 70mph. I also run an ’03 2.9 Sedona for towing a large caravan and get 30 plus to the gallon. I have had 5 Kias all told and found them very reliable.

Submitted: 2012-05-19 | ID: 41899

Ferdie Wakay, Philippines

Kia Carens EX CRDI VGT 2009

The Kia Carens is a good minivan, however, the fuel consumption for city driving is not so good and the ground clearance is low. The Carens must be designed with 5 speed automatic transmission and not a mere 4 speed as the engine noise can be heard inside the car, but the motor or engine is really good and with power to move. In general the Kia Carens can be recomended for daily use.

Submitted: 2012-02-24 | ID: 41897

Richard Black, England

Kia Carens 2008

It’s virtually impossible to change a head light bulb in this car, without dismantling the engine compartment!

Rubbish! It’s really, really easy. There are two bolts on the headlight. Unscrew them, then the headlight assembly pops out. I changed one in ten minutes in the snow! - Daniel Forde-Pogson from England

The head lamp bulb takes about ten mins, if that. Two bolts at the top of head light, it pops off, job done - John Stewart from Ayrshire

Submitted: 2011-11-18 | ID: 41894

Brian Hall, Cheshire

Kia Carens LS diesel Auto 2008

A friend had bought the Kia Sedona, but this was too big for me. I looked at a number of Carens and chose the diesel Auto model from a Kia dealer. The dealer would not move on the price but included for free the next two service (two years) and the next two MOTs. I’m very pleased with the car, it has plenty of room, lots of storage area and all seven seats have been commented on as being comfortable. It is easy to drive and park and has superb visability. I cannot think of anything to complain about. I have driven for over 45 years and this is the first time I will consider the same car when I come to replace it.

Hello, thank you for your comment on this car. Did you buy a 2008 model? If yes, can you please tell us if the front seats are not too short for people with long legs? I need some space not only to sit but also to put my legs somewhere. I’m 1m87. Thanks a lot for your reaction - Jack De Schepper from Belgium

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 41892

Ernest Lundy, Yorkshire

Kia Carens 2009

After a minor problem with clutch due to leaking cylinder the car has proved to be very good. One problem, however, was the need to buy a rear boot cover at £260, which should have been incorporated in the price of the car overall. The only disappointment is the low MPG (30), which, after my Nissan Quashqai ’s (45) is not what I might have expected. Other than that, as a driver for over 60 years, I could recommend the car to anyone.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 41883

Bill, Surrey

Kia Carens LS 2010

Got LS model cannot fault, really good ride and performance, backed up by 5 year warranty what more can you ask for, just hope resale is as good as said it would be when purchased.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 41884

Barry Good, Yorkshire

Kia Carens LS CRDI 2lt 2010

I Upgraded to the 2ltr LS Carens, from a 57 reg Carens. what a fantastic model, plenty of room in the cabin, and the added extras what a treat, a very versatile vehicle and a quiet,comfortable driving experience, A true value for money vehicle you would have to go a long way to beat. strongly recommended for family use.

Hi, can you tell me what the 07 model was like? I’ve heard bad reviews on clutch and gears. Thanks - Dean B from Kent

Submitted: 2010-09-27 | ID: 41885

Gordon Powis, Worcestershire

Kia Carens GS 2005

Not had this car long, seems good all round car, BUT the seats are very hard under the font end of the legs, does any one know how to make them more comfortable? On this model it has not got the seat adjusters on it.

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 41891

Michael Swift, Kent

Kia Carens S 2008

I really cannot fault this car. I bought the earlier model in 2005 and traded it in for my current car in 2008. A number of the minor irritations in the earlier model have now been eliminated, especially the position of the rear washer switch which, in the earlier model, was located on the dashboard. The car starts easily in all weathers and has proved to be extraordinarily reliable; I am fortunate to have purchased it from a local dealer, Hidsons of Northfleet, who maintain it to a high standard and have a very good level of customer service. My only gripe was: why is it so difficult to access the headlight cluster if you need to replace a bulb? I bought a bulb, thinking it was going to be an easy job to replace, and ended up taking the car to the dealer for them to fit it! Overall, I would certainly but another Kia. I do like the look of the new Sportage!

I have to fully agree with you, the car is good but changing a headlight lamp is impossible without dismantling the front end - Richard Black from England

It’s only 2 bolts on headlamp and it pops off: 10 mins job done - John Stewart from Ayrshire

Submitted: 2010-08-22 | ID: 41888

Terry Graves, Bedfordshire

Kia Carens S 2008

We did a lot of home work before our purchase, but having owned a Kia before and knowing the great aftercare service we had the Kia range was a starting point. we looked at Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, etc, but with the 5 year warranty and build quality and the price tag Kia floored the rest. Now any one who is looking for a vehicle just think if Kia offer now a 7 YEAR WARRANTY they must be very confident of their products, makes you think why the rest only offer paultry 1 / 2 year ones? I rest my case. And yes we are very pleased with our Carens, a great car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-21 | ID: 41887

Mark, Yorkshire

Kia Carens LS CRDi 2010

We have had our Carens now for 2 months, and couldn’t be happier with it. Despite what some "knowledgable" reviewers may tell you, the ride and steering are responsive, and there is very little roll. We got the LS CRDi Auto, and are loving it. The 2.0 litre diesel engine has plenty of torque and the auto box is extremely smooth and quiet. Engine noise is very quiet as well. Exterior styling is quirky (but not in a bad way!), interior styling is excellent - a pleasure to drive. There’s loads of room in the cabin, and the engine copes well with heavy loads when you fill the cabin up! Coupled with the 7-year warrenty I would heartily recommend the Carens (we got the LS model for £1,000’s less than the base model of certain other MPV’s).

Submitted: 2010-04-21 | ID: 41882

Amirali D, Huntingdonshire

Kia Carens 2008

I am really satisfied with it, a very quiet engine, good air conditioning and a great sound system. I slept in my car while on a trip, this could provide savings for those who travel a lot.

Submitted: 2009-08-14 | ID: 41881

Dudley Jackson, Wiltshire

Kia Carens LX 2004

I bought my diesel 2 litre automatic Carens new in March 2004. It has 39,900 miles on the clock and has an overall fuel consumption of 35 mpg. That is one of the few disappointments I have. It has been very comfortable and reliable. Looking at trading in prices it is considered to be worth only a fraction of the original price, but I rate it much more highly and would certainly consider it to be a very good second hand buy for anyone giving it consideration. I am not too happy with the dealership which is a multi agency company with big flashy showrooms but poor service to existing customers (certainly Kia customers) but that does not detract from the qualities of the car. Fortunately I have had little need other than annual MOT’s and servicing, . I like the basic but practical dials and controls (apart from the rear wiper switch which is a bit beyond reach.) The gearbox has been faultless and its function has been close to perfect. Many road reports criticise the amount of plastic in the cockpit but to me that is not a problem. I carry a lot of passengers to hospital appointments and have had a lot of praise of the comfort and the ride they have had - I don’t remember having had any bad remarks. The seats are much higher than most cars and getting in and out is quite simple. I think Kia name has had a lot of prejudice against it but to me the range and quality of cars is something that is not widely appreciated. But if you drive one you can soon become convinced and my experience is that most Kia owners are very satisfied with their choice.

Submitted: 2009-06-22 | ID: 41913

Jim Bond, England

Kia Carens CRDi 2.0 LS manual (7 seats). 2009

I did a lot of research on the MPV class and almost turned into a bit of an Anorak in the process. Time and time again I kept coming back to the Carens because I simply couldn’t find anything else to suit our limited budget. It would be unfair to name names but it’s always the same 2 or 3 manufacturers that are most popular choices. I wish car buyers would ditch the ’badge’ snobbery and go for something like a Kia that in my opinion offers the same if not more. Whilst many people are tightening their financial belts and holding off on that purchase, more and more people will soon latch onto the Carens. I may not be fully qualified to review this car as I have only owned it for a few weeks but can safely say that I am loving the Carens as I knew I would. I have found that many of the reviews that I have read are most unfair and unjust. Of course you get what you pay for, but I honestly don’t think this is the case with the Carens. You get a lot of car for your money. Don’t be afraid to consider the LS version with the extra gadgets on board. I bought my 2 year old for £8,500 which is considerably cheaper than most GS models. The ride, handling, economy, space, practicality, looks all score highly for me. One other thing; ’boxy’? ’boring’? - certainly not!

I must agree big time with your comment this car/van is good easy getting in and out of handles quite well. I would say I was a quick driver, tyres would be my gripe, I do not know what to put on after these rubbish rear RUNWAY are done I quite fancy hankook all round - John Stewart from Ayrshire

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 41911

Bob Butterworth, England

Kia Carens gs crdi 2008

Excellent all-round car. Just as good at touring round town as motorway trips to Scotland. However, CHOOSE YOUR DEALER CAREFULLY! the ’cheapest’ discounted deal, may mean naff service; it did in my case.

Submitted: 2009-02-02 | ID: 41910

LOL, England

Kia Carens CRDI GS5 2008

Excellent car; good performance, good mpg. Lots of room and well built. However, I WOULD NOT buy from Perry’s again.

Submitted: 2008-10-13 | ID: 41908

Alain Mudds, Cambridgeshire

Kia Carens LS 2006

After driving a 1993 Toyota Previa for 8 years and 145000 miles, we bought a 2002 Renault Scenic. The Scenic was too small; used too much petrol and within 2 months we have just bought a 56 Carens LS and it is packed with stuff. 18000 miles 2L diesel Auto for £9500; we test drove numerous cars including the Ford C-Max, Zafira , C4 , Megane Estate, Jeep , Honda CR-V etc... The Carens beats them all in ride, fuel consumption and space inside. I think it looks pretty good in its LS livery. In the USA its called a Rondo and has accessories which are not available in the UK can be bought over the net. We have just experienced a grumbling rattle noise when turning left , but with the remaining 3 and a bit years left on the warranty it’s going in to Kia. The Kia garage we bought it from said that if the warranty did not cover the fault , they would deal with it. Seems like good service so far.

Submitted: 2008-10-03 | ID: 41909

Barrie Oughton, Lancashire

Kia Carens 2.0 GS 7Seater 2008

This is the second Kia Carens I have owned. The new model is by far the best to date. I can truthfully say they represent good value, all round. Roll on the next one...

Submitted: 2008-08-21 | ID: 41906

Derick Delboy, Lancashire

Kia Carens 2008

Reading some of the reports above makes me think some people don’t know a thing about cars. the Kia Carens is a well built MPV, 5 or 7 seats, good spec, even for the entry S model. The ride is good and steering is positive, very little roll on corners. Interior is very spacious, and gives the feel of a big 4x4. 5 year warranty is a good tempter, which other cars don’t have. A good all round car, I say it beats the Zafira, on comfort and ride. I’d certainly buy another Carens, and I don’t have anything bad to say about it.

Submitted: 2008-08-21 | ID: 41907

Frank Madin, Nottinghamshire

Kia Carens 2lite diesel 2006

I’ve had my Kia Carens 2lite diesel for 2 years now. It’s OK but would not buy another Kia. Yes, it was cheap to buy but I know a man who has one for a taxi and its done 230,000 miles - 2004 model; so they cant be all that bad.

Submitted: 2008-08-13 | ID: 41905

Roger Chamberlain, Leicestershire

Kia Carens 2005

my carens runs on in gears 2-3-4-5 when i slow down to 26mph it starts to stall then it picks up to a speed of about 32mph as if it went into auto drive i have reported it to kia uk and the kia dealer i had it from they test drove it with me they say its the engine management doing its job giveing power to the engine when its needed i think there is a fault on the management as i have driven a wide range of diesel vehicle in the past and this has never happened before i have spoken to a few kia owners they say theres dont do it i have read a magazine where a another kia owner in selby has had this problem with a serento could someone adise me on my next move thank you r chamberlain

I have had my Kia Carens from new; it has now completed about 4000 miles. It hesitates a little in 2nd gear at about 2000 revs. KIA ADMIT IT HAS A PROBLEM WITH SOFTWARE AND SAY THEY ARE WORKING ON IT. Otherwise the car runs realy well and returns about 37 to the gallon - Michael Cummings from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2007-12-13 | ID: 41903

Sheila Brooks, Isle of Anglesey

Kia Carens 2.0 2007

I hired this car when on holiday to help ferry around my extended family. I’d say that it doesn’t do anything very badly but neither does it do anything very well. I’m guessing that it is not an expensive car due to it being very cheap to lease. A respectable MPV but a bit dull.

Submitted: 2007-11-06 | ID: 41902

• A response has been made to Richard Black (18/11/2011 14:09:55)
  • A response has been made to Brian Hall (06/09/2011 10:01:29)

• Russell Seex's question has been answered: "Indicators/hazard lights not working on a 2010 Kia Carens. Hazard lights flashing when operating central locking - Des Rice from Antrim' '..." (21/08/2014 10:12:58)
  • Mike's question has been answered: "Lift the seat bases to 90deg. Remove the head rests. Then pull the ring on the backs and at the same time fold them down. The head rests can be fitted - Rick from Lincolnshire' '..." (12/05/2014 11:56:33)

Renault Scenic