Jaguar XJ consumer car reviews and road tests

Jaguar XJ

Jaguar XJ consumer reviews by year of make:1968 1995 1996 1997 2000 2006 2007 2008 2011 2012

Jaguar XJ consumer car reviews

Graham Rabbetts, Dorset

Jaguar XJ 3.0D Portfolio SWB 2012

Am I glad that I bought my Jaguar XJ 3.0D Portfolio in March 12? Darn right I am! The car almost suits my requirements 100%. In fact the only niggle that I can think of at this moment is the clock, silly I know. A very pretty clock set in the middle of the dash, but difficult to read especially at night. There is another clock in the instrument screen in front of the driver but this is too small to be practical. I say instrument screen because the main clock is the only real instrument in the car. The rest, including the speedo, rev counter, fuel gauge, etc., etc., is in a TV type screen behind the driver, and very effective it is too. The first thing that you notice when you first drive this car on the road is that people around you notice you. They will turn their heads as you waft past, or you might find a little crowd around your car as you return to the car park. It brings a good feeling. After you have owned the car a while you get to realise that the fuel consumption figures are pretty good for a car of its size, whilst I only get 35mpg overall because I do mainly town work I can achieve 46mpg on a run, better than my XF that I part xd. If any of you out there are worried about the noisy diesel engine like I was, forget it, I swear you won’t notice the difference. Just go out and buy it, you won’t regret it.

Submitted: 2013-10-17 | ID: 41754

Anne Wren, Caerphilly

Jaguar XJ XJL portfolio 2011

I bought a XJL Portfolio new in September 2011 and regret it. It has duff paintwork, rattles from the dashboard and sun roof area and is noisy in reverse gear. Now I have been without my car for at least a week whilst the dealer tries to sort it out. This is unacceptable for a £72,000 vehicle. Do not believe the hype, Jaguar still builds problem cars and what quality control there is allows them out of the factory!

Submitted: 2012-03-10 | ID: 41752

David Jones, Gwynedd

Jaguar XJ diesel 2008

I have had the car for 9 months. I bought at 18k miles and it now has 36k on the clock driving mainly 400k mile trips and more on motorways. It gives excellent mileage averaging 47mpg, but around town quite it’s heavy. Generally a very good car with just a few niggles; At 140mph on the autobahn the car feels uncertain going around the bends, rather wallowy (perhaps why Jaguar changed the suspension ont he new one?), but mostly I am driving at 70mph. The lightness helps with firm stopping. The kick down and turbo boost are very variable. Sometimes I get it and the car blasts off with a great press of the backside on the leather, but sometimes during an overtaking manoeuvre it just doesn’t go. Sport mode sometimes helps but I can’t feel any real difference. The car is mainly without fault, but I had to short out the bonnet open sensor and the door seals are in tatters. No other faults to report, A very reliable car and I am happy with it.

Submitted: 2011-10-12 | ID: 41753

Jon Gwynne, Lancashire

Jaguar XJ XJR 1995

Grace, pace and space; everything a Jaguar should be. Tough as an old boot in the reliability department. What more can you ask?

Submitted: 2011-04-26 | ID: 41750

Archie A, Staffordshire

Jaguar XJ 2006

This is a very good luxury motor, full of extras and a great ride. Smooth, fast and brilliant.

Submitted: 2011-03-25 | ID: 41751

Rob, Hampshire

Jaguar XJ X300 1996

Always had things go wrong, electrics are a joke, repairs very expensive but good mid range power. I have now got the Mazda 6 mps 2.3 turbo awd, 0-60, 6-3 secs, 150mph. Enough said!!

Submitted: 2011-01-11 | ID: 41749

Peter Masson, Dorset

Jaguar XJ 4.2 1968

I bought my first XJ in 1968 which replaced a Rover 3 litre saloon which was its inferior in all respects. The power, performance of the XJ were far superior to anything I had driven. Following the wonderful comments about the 2.8 litre engine’s smoothness I purchased a 2.8 model in 1972 which was really a dud - lacking in performance and reliability, I sold it before the end of the first year and purchased a 3 litre Ford Granada Estate which served me well for 6 years and over 100,000 miles. I was drawn back to Jaguar again in 1979 to a 4.2 which was superb again as was the Series 3 XJ which I purchased in 1986 which lasted me 153,000 miles until 1989. I then went Jaugarless until 2003 when I bought my first aluminium bodied XJ - this time with a Ford derived V6 which was reliable in all respects and has in 2010 been replaced with another 3 litre - this time a Sovereign which has all the power, toys and comfort a 70 year old could wish for and instead of the 17 mpg of my first XJ returns just under 30.

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 41748

Barrie Spooner, Durham

Jaguar XJ 2.7 TDVi LWB 2007

This is my fifth Jaguar saloon and by far the greenest. 40 mph, low emissions and superb 0-60 - and it's a diesel. Very comfortable even on drives of 400+ miles plus; you know you have a well oiled service organisation for your services when required. Buy this model in the LWB set up and you won't want anything else. Call me old fashioned with my wood finish but I like quality and lots of it.

Submitted: 2008-11-03 | ID: 41759

Ward Robertson, Monmouthshire

Jaguar XJ 2007

This is my first Jaguar, bought new in sept 2007, had it for one year and 38000 miles. Ave 37 mpg, the car is sublime and faultless. Utterly superb to drive and own. Its a dream machine, a true luxury car. Everyone loves this example, Should you get one? Dont wait ! go for it.

Submitted: 2008-09-19 | ID: 41758

Recardo, Sussex

Jaguar XJ 1997

XJ 22o still one of the fastes cars in the world 0-60 3.4secs and top speed 220mph.

Submitted: 2008-09-17 | ID: 41757

Steve Barnes, Merthyr Tydfil

Jaguar XJ Sovereign 4.0 Auto 2000

I’ve bought my Jaguar Sovereign second hand in 2003. It has given me unfailing performance and maintenance costs have been very low. Urban driving returns approximately 20 miles to the gallon although I have, when steady driving was allowed, managed 30. The car is now 9 years old and still in pristine condition. This was not my first Jaguar. If you have ever fancied a Jaguar, get the best you can afford, you will not regret it. Classy and British!

Submitted: 2008-05-21 | ID: 41756

Richard Hall, Middlesex

Jaguar XJ 2.7 TDVi 2007

A sporty saloon which is refined and agile. Much better than it predecessor.

Submitted: 2007-11-23 | ID: 41755

• "My rear park distance control has stopped working on my 2004 Jaguar XJ. Any suggestions please? ..." (Janet Davis, 23/12/2013 10:30:44)
  • "My Jaguar XJ`s amber light came on stating restricted performance. The RAC scan indicated an air flow meter problem. I`ve replaced one of the 2 meter..." (Jeff Shimmin, 14/11/2013 11:17:19)
  • "I have recently repaired a water leak in the radiator pipe of my 2003 Jaguar XJ65 fully filled to the top with water, but my red light still comes on..." (Ted Comiskey, 10/10/2013 14:56:34)
  • "I recently purchased a 1994 Jaguar XJ. When I start it, I can see blue smoke from the exhaust. It usually stops but at times continues, but not nearl..." (Blondie, 06/06/2013 09:18:15)
  • "It rains inside my Jaguar and now my power seats and driver side window do not work and when it is raining, if I try to open the other windows more t..." (Antonio, 20/10/2011 08:54:33)

• John Roe's question has been answered: "Change gearbox fluid regularly, sealed for life does not work. - John Wright from Hertfordshire' '..." (27/08/2013 13:03:52)

Jaguar XJ

5.0 Supersport - The fourth-generation Jaguar XJ has undergone a radical transformation. Whereas the previous iteration was a very tradition-looking luxury cruiser, much-loved by executives and retired gentlemen of a certain age, the latest model has become a much sportier coupe. And no version is sportier than the [...]

An image of the Jaguar XJ 5.0 Supersport

Jaguar XJ

3.0 Diesel - The flagship Jaguar XJ has been a much-loved model since it first hit the roads in 1968. However, this large executive saloon has desperately needed a complete overhaul for some time: the last iteration, the Mk 3, first appeared in 2003, but on the surface it was very similar to the XJ40 model first [...]

An image of the Jaguar XJ 3.0 Diesel

Jaguar XJ

Mk4 2010 - The XJ is Jaguar’s flagship model and is a British automotive icon. Since the appearance of the first generation in 1968 this large executive saloon has been the ride of choice for many senior executives and has become a badge of respectability. However, it has needed a thorough overhaul for some ti [...]

An image of the Jaguar XJ Mk4 2010

Jaguar XJ

Jaguar has ditched its traditional curvy looks for its luxury flagship after 42 years of evolution. Now, the XJ is all about sharp lines and equally sharp driving dynamics as part of the company’s reinvention as a brand led by design and sporty manners. Time will tell whether this is what XJ custome [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report