Hyundai Amica consumer car reviews and road tests

Hyundai Amica

Hyundai Amica consumer reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2006 2007 2008 2009

Hyundai Amica consumer car reviews

Melvin Morris, Kent

Hyundai Amica GSi 2007

I bought this car from new, originally for my wife. She was suffering from back problems and this car was perfect for her to get in and out of. She traded up to the i10 a couple of years ago and I inherited the Amica. Overall a very good car for running to and from work, 15miles each way. Average approx. 40 mpg, which is more than respectable with the mixed driving I use it for. The biggest fault of the car is its eating of the front tyres. It has only done 30,000mls and I am on my 4th set of tyres. The rear tyres are still hardly worn and the original set? Big disappointment on an otherwise very nice car. Roomy, split rear folding seats, air conditioning, excellent in the bad weather.

Submitted: 2013-02-26 | ID: 41239

Julie Brandwood, Lancashire

Hyundai Amica 2007

I have a silver Hyundai Amica, it’s the second one I have owned and I bought this from new. I love this car. I’ve had this one for 7 years and have done nearly 50,000 miles. It’s cheap to run and easy to drive. It’s passed its MoT every year without fail. I do have it serviced every year and never let the petrol get too low. I also make regular checks on my oil, water, tyres etc. The seats fold down to give you loads of space. I helped my daughter move house in mine and it’s surprising how much you can fit in. I use it on the motorway and around town, it’s so easy to park, you can fit into gaps that much bigger cars can’t. I wish they still made this model as I love it to bits. We’ve had many happy trips together, it’s the best thing I’ve ever bought!

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 41241

Louise Nash, England

Hyundai Amica 2001

A fantastic car that is great value and reliable. I’ve had it for years and I’m scrapping it today as I’ve purchased a new one. I am actually sad as I will miss it; she been everywhere with me, all over the UK.

Submitted: 2013-02-01 | ID: 41240

Anna Ressel, Cheshire

Hyundai Amica 2001

I have had my Amica for 3 years now. It was my first car and it’s been great to run aswell as cheap to run! It’s been everywhere with me, however, the list of problems I have had is endless: Missfires due to damp weather; I have replaced the apart plugs and leads twice and had a new coil pack, yet still everytime I drive it in wet weather it will misfire. Coating it in WD40 helps but the design is faulty meaning it let’s water into the plugs. Breaks: I’ve had my shoes crumble in the drum recently and my disc breaks seized-up last year. Exhaust: My catalytic converter cracked, so I had to get a whole new exhaust! Air in fuel tank: Too much air in my fuel tank caused fuel to squirt out and not pump in properly. There are more things, but that is mainly wear and tear. It’s great for short trips to the shops/school, but I will say if you want a car to drive then probably best going for something else!

Submitted: 2012-06-10 | ID: 41238

Ian Fraser, Cheshire

Hyundai Amica si 2002

Bought the Amica to replace a Corsa. Have used the car on trips of 500 miles each way and 250 miles with no problems. I have found that oil usage, however, is high on such trips, otherwise very pleased with vehicle.

Submitted: 2011-02-17 | ID: 41236

Trish M, Yorkshire

Hyundai Amica 2009

Bought it from new, this is my 4th Hyundai (all new) and I love them. Previously had 2 accents and a coupe (best car ever). Have never needed any warranty work done on any until now (engine warning light has come on) so will be phoning the delaer tomorrow. I did try 2 brand new vauxhall corsa but had so much warranty works on them that it sent me back to Hyundai. Now, I wouldn’t buy anything but a Hyundai. Amica is cheap to run, ideal in the city - you can squeeze in parking spaces where others can’t! It’s okay on the motorway too - can get a bit wiggly with side winds but youjust have to slow down, I drive 100 miles to work each day with 90% of which is motorway, If you’re thinking of buying one just get yourself down to the dealer - best thing I ever did.

Submitted: 2010-08-22 | ID: 41237

Hannah Buckie, England

Hyundai Amica 1.0 2001

I like the car as it is a good drive but recently the check engline light has come on and I have checked all the levels of fluid and there is nothing wrong there but it seems to be in the morning when starting up and in the rain that it gets really sluggish and jolty and feels like it will stall. Does anyone have any ideas it would be perfect if not for this?????

Hi, I have exactly this same problem with my breaks and some noise. Sometimes my car goes like yours, is snapping like it’s without petrol and I have some lights on, which no one knows how to switch off. I hate this car!! - Aneta Orzech from Carmarthenshire

The check engine light will usually be indicating an ignition fault probably caused by damp getting into the ignition system. The jolts you are experiencing are most likely mis-firing and you are driving on only a few cylinders resulting in the interrupted power delivery. If you are mechnically confident it would be worth taking the spark plugs out, checking the spacing and also the seals around the plug tube. You can get water displacement spray to stop water getting in from most outlets such as Halfords for around £5. If you’re not technically minded, ask someone who is to do it for you as you’re out of warranty and its not worth paying someone to do such a simple job. If the engine runs smoothly after that, the light shoudl turn itself off after a few runs. If it doesn’t sort it then its time to ask a mechanic - Matthew A from Northamptonshire

Matthew A is absolutely correct. Your problem is damp on the ignition. Your engine is only firing on three cylinders giving all the symptoms. A can of WD40 or Damp Start will solve your problem. The Check Engine light will go out as soon as all plugs are firing. As he says, taking the plugs out, giving them a clean and checking the gap is also a good idea - Howard P from Yorkshire

Hi, I have this car, the problem may be caused by the ignition coil. My car is 8 years old with 35k miles and the iginition coil had melted. Have a look, it is only a £70 part and it fixed my car instantly - R Fleming from England

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 41231

Rosemary Ogg, Angus (Forfarshire)

Hyundai Amica gsi 2008

I’m having problems with the brakes. I have had new brake pads fitted by Kwik-Fit in March but still getting some scraping and squealing. They say it is dust getting into them but surely all these cars can’t be like this? Does anyone have any problems with this?

Dear Rosemary, Contact KWIKFIT head office and ask to speak to the Area Manager. Explain the circumstances and that you wish for the problem to be rectified asap. If the symptoms were not evident before the replacement disc pads were fitted, there is an issue. Usually on inspection of recently fitted replaced disc pads, which have squealing or rubbing sounds the following is found. 1. Poorly fitted pads without copper slip to their backing surfaces. 2. Missing anti- rattle tension springs. 3. The disc surfaces were not cleaned. 4. Binding or sticking Caliper Pistons. KWIKFIT make a big statement on their highly trained personnel, specifically in the area of brake servicing. Sadly visit their facilities and often you will find they are lacking in cleanliness and order. This reflects in the quality of service. All work undertaken however is covered by warranty - Robert Erskine from Middlesex

Submitted: 2009-07-14 | ID: 41242

William Provan, Scotland

Hyundai Amica 2008

I got my Amica six months ago and love it. I have covered nine and a half thousand miles - that’s how much I love it - so does my partner and my small dog Candy. So, I would recommend them - thanks for reading my review.

Submitted: 2008-09-08 | ID: 41244

Julie Hull, England

Hyundai Amica GSI 2001

I have had my Amica for 18 months now and wouldn’t swap it for the world! I down-sized from a much bigger car and it was the best thing I have ever done! She is a dream to drive and as well as being ideal for commuting to and from work takes me on a 300 mile round trip on the motor way every month also. The best investment I have ever made!!

Submitted: 2008-08-29 | ID: 41245

Stephen King, Northern Ireland

Hyundai Amica 2008

I have not had this car long but I will recommend buying one. I have been driving Vauxhalls for over 8 years and they are all good motors but the Hyundai Amica is far better on motorways, more economical, brakes better and easier on tyres. I have fitted remote locking and have done between 400 and 500 miles all in one day with no problem.

Submitted: 2008-02-22 | ID: 41247

Brian Stallard, Lancashire

Hyundai Amica GSI 2006

I have had this car for 18 months and on the whole I have been delighted with it. It is economical to run, suprisingly roomy inside with 4 door access and can carry a reasonable load with the rear seats folded. The 1.1 engine is nippy and although very much a ’city car’ can move on the motorway. Even the narrow width has it’s advantages when passing on narrow country lanes or city streets. Negative points are poor resistance to side winds on the motorway, a reverse gear that sometimes is sticky and the fact that the front tyres wear fairly badly. So far no breakdowns have occured.

I have same problems with front tyres only lasting 4000 miles. I have had the car from new and I will be having my third set of front tyres in 3 years . Any comments from Amica owners or if your have had the same problems please post on this site - from Vale of Glamorgan

Get the cars tracking done, with 4 people in it this helps spread the load and makes the tracking better and you get more life out off the tyres - William Provan from Scotland

Despite having had tracking done at each time tyres have been replaced, our Amica is now 30 months old 26,000 miles and we have just put the third replacement pair of front tyres on. Back tyres are still good! Has been suggested that there might be a suspension/steering issue that needs resolving - David Butterworth from Durham

Submitted: 2007-11-14 | ID: 41248

Tracy Wardle, Suffolk

Hyundai Amica 1.1 CDX 5dr 2007

My husband bought this car purely because I needed something to take my children to school in and get around locally. It’s very cheap to run and I really like the good visibility, however, I don’t think I’d ever want to take it on the motorway, the handling isn’t very smooth, and I tend to wait until weekends when I can use my husbands car if I need to go any distance. Fine if you need something to tootle around in.

Submitted: 2007-10-02 | ID: 41246

• A response has been made to Hannah Buckie (20/01/2010 16:11:23)
  • A response has been made to Rosemary Ogg (14/07/2009 09:21:30)

• "My Hyundai Amica has an intermittent starting problem. Moving the gear lever from P to N it will start. Is this a switch problem, if so what is it ca..." (Terry Pick, 07/04/2014 09:59:00)
  • "Hi. My Hyundai Amica`s ignition will not turn and I can`t get the steering lock released, it seems as if the barrel is stuck. The key goes in and out..." (Billy Hills, 23/01/2014 11:59:02)
  • "Is there a problem with the engine sump on the Hyundai Amica Gsi? ..." (Bob Mills, 07/10/2013 11:46:48)
  • "Hi. My Hyundai Amica won’t start, no lights etc. I did have the battery replaced not too long ago. I have noticed the past couple of weeks there’s be..." (Tracy Barbero, 06/09/2013 16:08:46)
  • "I`ve put new reverse bulbs in my Hyundai Amica earlier, only to find out that they stay on constantly. What can I do myself to fix the problem? Many ..." (Chris Lloyd, 08/01/2013 11:45:17)

• Tracy Barbero's question has been answered: "Hi, I’ve got the same problem, did you find out what the problem is? - Kathleen H from Nottinghamshire' '..." (06/01/2014 18:50:57)
  • Alex Kear's question has been answered: "It sounds very much like the battery, most suppliers have tools to test them. Could be broken down cells, if so you will need to replace it. I am told - Ken Fowles from England' '..." (07/11/2012 08:51:31)

Toyota Aygo