Honda Jazz consumer car reviews and road tests

Honda Jazz

Honda Jazz consumer reviews by year of make:2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Honda Jazz consumer car reviews

Danny, Lincolnshire

Honda Jazz 2012

I have had this Hybrid little over a month and I really can’t fault it. It’s extremely quiet, comfortable to drive and fun with the ECO dials changing blue to green when you are driving in a economical fashion. Its only fault, if you can call it that is stopping and running on battery, you must have the brake depressed, which is annoying for the driver behind.

Submitted: 2014-01-02 | ID: 41161

Shane, Australia

Honda Jazz 2012

Very unsatisfied with the power steering. Great normally but doing three point turns and parallel turns the steering gets real heavy. I am a tradesman and bought this car for my daughter. I have put the car in for warranty, six months old 2013 model. I was teaching my daughter on her learner permit how to do these turns when this steering issue manifested itself. I really hope the dealer takes this seriously as my complaint was handled in a very dismissive manner. I was asked "Well did you realise that it has electronic steering?" So what, who cares, the point is the steering is progressively heavy when performing basic tight turns to park the car. It was like trying to park an old Holden without power steering. I am reporting to them that we experiences heavy steering and I , like my daughter found it hard to turn the wheel after a few parking manoeuvres. I shall have an update from Ferntree Gully Honda in Victoria Australia tomorrow.

Submitted: 2013-10-21 | ID: 41160

Dimitris, Greece

Honda Jazz 2003

I got this car new in 2003. It is almost 10 years old (with 165.000 Km) and hasn’t had any problem so far. And I mean no problems at all. Nothing. Not even a single light... Not even a battery. The garage only sees me once a year, when I take the car for the regular service. On other aspects, the car is fun and comfy to drive, it is very economical and pretty spacious for such a small car. My father, 1.98m tall, who hardly fits in his Volvo S40, does fit himself easily in the Jazz, both as driver and as passenger. This is an excellent car. I highly recommend it to everyone looking for a reliable small family car that won’t let you down, won’t trouble you and won’t cost you extra money on repairs.

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 41159

Philip Marsh, England

Honda Jazz 2006

I recently wrote a review concerning water leaking into the spare wheel compartment of my Honda Jazz. After several weeks of rain and soaking up water, I eventually found it was leaking from underneath the black rubber seal on top of the roof, so I lifted up the seal and thickened underneath with silicone. Problem solved!

Submitted: 2013-04-06 | ID: 41158

P Marsh, England

Honda Jazz 1.2 2006

I bought my 2006 1.2 Honda Jazz in January 2013. I find it to be a good little runner averaging about 40-45 around town, but has a couple of problems. The hand brake was on 7 notches when I bought it, but it did not hold on the bank so I had it adjusted to 2, but still no difference. The boot is letting in water; I’ve had it in the garage twice, but they were unable to find where it’s leaking from, so now I have decided to try silicone. I have read other reviews on the internet about other Honda Jazz owners and they too have the same problems, so I assume it must be a manufacturing fault?

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 41147

David Jones, Hampshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES iShift 2009

I traded down to a 1.4 iShift from a manual top of the range Honda Civic diesel, which I really enjoyed owning and driving and which was very well equipped. I also did a test drive of other small cars as well before settling on the Honda (Fiesta, Corsa, Clio) to satisy myself which best suited the purpose to which I would use the car. I spent two long test drives in the Jazz as not only was I getting a car with considerably less power, I was also transferring to a semi-automatic gearbox and had seen lots of reviews slating its poor performance. I needed to be sure that I could live with the car on a daily basis. I had also reduced my annual mileage from around 15,000 to 6,000 and the diesel was not the most economic vehicle to use on the reduced mileage. However, on both drives I found the car to be responsive to the throttle and although gear changes (particularly between 1st and 2nd) were a little slow in automatic mode, this could be easily overcome by using the paddles on the steering wheel. The same is true whilst down-changing when approaching a roundabout or road junction but again changing to manual gives you back control and overcomes the hesitation of the automatic change when pulling out. I also like a degree of involvement as a driver and using the paddles suits me and keeps me focussed on the road, instead of worrying whether it will be safe to pull out. I would definitely recommend taking the car on a range of journeys for a test (town, motorway, dual carriageway) to make sure that it will do what you need it to. There is no comparison between my former car and this one in terms of performance but for a small car the fuel consumption is reasonable at an average of 44 MPG on a five mile each way journey to work. The VVT engine can be a little loud when pressed, but for me this is the fun of owning a small engined Honda. Once you get the revs up, the gear changes in automatic are really quite good but at the cost of increased fuel consumption. The car is easily able to join the motorway at an appropriate speed to match the flowing traffic and once at speed the automatic function is very relaxed. For overtaking, I use the paddle shift to get immediate and useful power to safely complete the move. Having driven ’proper’ automatics in the past, the iShift system cannot hope to compete, so avoid if this is the experience you are expecting. Transferring from a conventional torque converter or Honda CVT automatic is likely to be very dissapointing. I really like the build quality of the car which has just 11,000 miles on the clock and Honda FSH, so not expecting any major problems. The driving position is comfortable (I am over 6 foot) and the car rides and drives well, is reasonably well equipped and very cheap to insure (over 50). I would definitely recommend that if you are looking to buy this economical, well built, well equipped small car that you do an extended test drive first. I drove both the iShift and the manual version before making an informed choice on whether the car was suiable for me and how I drive. The vehicle is also small enough to tow behind our motorhome on an A Frame. As with all cars there are compromises to be made and the Jazz iShift is no different, but the same addage is always true, make sure that it fits the driving for which you intend to use it and ensure that you have a long and varied test drive first.

Submitted: 2013-01-19 | ID: 41148

Carl Clayton, England

Honda Jazz se auto 2009

I wish I looked at some reviews before I purchased this jazz, it’s got the auto box out of a 1970 Daf I think! The box has a mind of its own, don’t go there!

Submitted: 2012-10-29 | ID: 41144

Robin Willett, Yorkshire

Honda Jazz 1.2 DS 2006

I bought this car second hand from a dealer in Feb 2012 as my Nissan Primera which was 14 years old was failing in bodywork. It had been an excellent car. However, I decided that the price of fuel warranted a car with very good mpg and decided to downsize to a smaller more economical car. I had it on high recommendation that the Jazz was both very reliable and very economical, at least 50mpg. (My 1600 Primera would give an all round 39mpg based on over 10 years and mainly short runs). The mpg meter on my Jazz averages about 46mpg mainly local motoring. In reality measured by topping up to the brim, the mpg is on average 40mpg. On a long run, 100 mile round trip I have had 50mpg driven at average speeds. Ironically, similar runs driven very carefully with max speed 60mph have given only 43mpg. Over the 8 months I have had this vehicle the overall mpg is currently 44mpg which is based on lots of average 10 - 20 mile trips and occassional 100 mile trips. A disappointing car regarding economy. To drive I find it a love/hate relationship. It’s very roomy for a small car and holds lots in the boot. The clever fold up back seats are useful at times. The visibility in the front seats is great and my wife and I find the seats very supportive. I like the controls and the gear shift is so precise, the best I’ve ever used. It doesn’t handle as well as the Primera around bends, but that was exceptional. You seem to be travelling very fast in the Jazz and at speeds over 70 it becomes unstable. A few times I have been caught out when driving at high speeds on motorways and I’ve put my foot down and there’s been nothing there. I rarely went over 3000 revs in the Primera as I am more of a limousine style driver, but even when I drive the Jazz like this fuel economy is no better, sometimes worse in fact! Going up a bank in the Jazz requires either a very fast run up to it or changing down sometimes to as low as 2nd gear and thrashing it if you don’t want to hold up other motorists and it obviously gets very noisy. Reminds me of being on the back of my mate’s Honda 50 long ago. The Jazz has a lovely almost silent tick over. It’s a great little car for nipping to the shops etc, but let down by the mpg. It’s well built, but a bit thin and tinny. Although it’s 6 years old it looks and feels brand new. It has been 100% reliable and everything is in good working order. I did have a steering fault in that I had to compensate all the time for it veering off both to left and the right, worse at 40mph plus. That disappeared a couple of months ago and I understand it is a fault on some models. So whether it has gone for good or returns remains to be seen. The ride is on the hard side but it has a very positive feel to it rather like the older VW Polo. (never driven a newer model). The ride in the back is very rough on minor twisty roads but again the seats are firm and for a small car there is plenty of room for someone like me who is 5’10" and 15 stone. Would I buy another one? Not with that mpg. If the mpg was an average of 50 plus instead of 44 I would rate it 4 stars.

Hi, just got a 2007 auto Jazz. I took it back to Honda dealer with steering problems, you can’t keep it straight at any speed, you have to keep adjusting the steering wheel. Dealer said it me. Did you find what the trouble was? Thanks - from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2012-10-07 | ID: 41145

Patricia Bray, Rutland

Honda Jazz CVT 2012

I tested a Jazz CVT fitted with hand controls at a Mobility Road Show, because my very old Honda Civic, with which I had been absolutely delighted, was beginning to show its age and needed to be replaced. As a disabled driver I must have a reliable car and it must be an automatic, fitted with hand controls. I found the car to be to my liking and was assured that it would meet my needs, so I went to a Honda dealer and ordered my new Honda Jazz EX CVT. It had hand controls fitted before I could drive it. On my first opportunity to drive on the open road, I discovered, to my horror, that it doesn’t behave like a conventional automatic, holding the car on inclines, but rolled backwards. It isn’t possible for me to hold the car on the hand brake, as my left hand is occupied with steering and so at the point when the hand control is moved from braking to accelerating the car rolled backwards. Fortunately there was no one behind me on that occasion, but I was not prepared to risk driving it again. I tried to point out the problem to Honda, but they would not answer my phone calls, so I had to go back to the dealer, who could only solve my problem by buying the almost new car back at considerable financial loss to me and selling me a Hybrid. It has Hill Start Assist, which should apparently solve my problem, but at considerable extra expense, as with my very low mileage I will never recoup the extra expense in fuel savings and I have a second expense for fitting hand controls. I have, during my 20 years as a Honda customer, always, until now, thought very highly of the company, but they have really let me down. Even the manager of the dealership did not know that a CVT will not hold on an incline, so is unsuitable for the fitting of hand controls and thought that there must be something wrong with the car. I hope that my new car will be safe to drive when it arrives, but it will be at considerable expense and after a lot of worry.

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 41138

Huey, Australia

Honda Jazz Vibe S 2012

I’ve traded in my 2004 VTi 1.5L with CVT and upgraded to this 2012 limited edition Japan built model. Pros: Excellent finish, quieter than the previous model, feels less bouncy, auto air conditioning is a bonus, paddle shifts on the steering wheel for the 5 speed auto transmission, firmer steering feel, and the stereo system has a much better sound out put. Cons: Uses more fuel (5-7%), engine has less revving ability mated to 5 speed auto box. The last one with CVT was very flexible when it kicked in for extra oomp, though a little bit noisy, maybe to with noise insulation from fire wall? Apart from the wear and tear items that need to be replaced, the previous one had two rear wheel bearings replaced after 60,000km and two CVT services at 65,000km and 90,000km respectively, which was expensive. Otherwise it was a very  reliable and economical to run; 7,7L/100km in the city and 6,5L/100km on highway trips.

Submitted: 2012-08-04 | ID: 41139

Alex Thomas, Suffolk

Honda Jazz 2004

The hand brake is a problem, we can not trust it. If you forget to put it on gear, the car will be at risk. Recently the brake was checked and they could not find any fault. Yesterday, it rolled away from its place and hit against a building and caused serious damages. I need a lot of money to fix it properly. I regret choosing a Honda Jazz.

Submitted: 2012-07-03 | ID: 41136

Darren, Hertfordshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2007

I don’t get most of the reviews on here. Parking brake issues are not a problem, I’ve learnt from previous mistakes to leave in gear on all cars in case this happens. Common sense to me. The car was bought with 98000 miles on it with full service history for a good price and we have had several months of trouble free motoring from it. 50mpg on a good run and 44mpg on mixed roads motorway, town and country lanes. Have to say for the price we paid it’s been a bargain and extremely versatile. It does what is says on the tin. People complaining on here about tyres and wipers need to get a grip - They are consumables i.e. wear and tear, therefore they will need replacing at some point, depending on how the have been used.

Submitted: 2012-06-21 | ID: 41137

Wilhelm Yaeger, United States of America

Honda Jazz Fit Sport 5spd Auto 2011

I have really enjoyed the car, why they don’t call it the Jazz in the US is beyond me since Jazz came from places like 18th and Vine in Kansas City. My car was made in Japan and the fit and finish is better than my Dad’s Lincoln. It has enough inside space and that space was so flexible that I was able to replace my previous car, a supersize Ford Windstar. At least for my families use. The US version comes with a fairly torquey 1.5-litre engine that has enough punch even with the automatic to be fun and interesting with fuel mileage that is like at least 2x the minivan it replaced. Even at US Interstate speeds it will easily cruise all day at 80mph or so with power in reserve to climb inclines. The car has been absolutely dependable. The ride at least in the automatic was decent but little noisy like Honda didn’t do due diligence in the sound deadening content. I do wish at least for the US market that carpeting and interior came in a more dirt friendly color besides black. Also black interiors get really hot in the summer here in rural Missouri. The US federal safety standards are much tougher than they are for the international market and so the car with its enhanced ACE structure is solid and the doors sound vault-like when you shut them. The body is stiff and rigid with absence of flex sounds. The car under full power has little or no torque steer or hop. It handles extremely well with little body roll and is pretty neural in the corners until you near the limit with marked understeer. This car is effortless to drive in town or on the open road. This car is the best car Honda makes for the US market. It is a WAaaaayyy better car than the Civic or Insight or for that matter the 4cyl Accord. And it is the cheapest. How can you beat that!! The lights by the way are excellent and better than even some super expensive systems on say the MB C class. In my opinion the brakes a little weak and should be in this day and age 4wh disks. If you get the chance get the 5spd manual vice the automatic The manual is sooo goood that it worth the trouble to learn how to drive one. Everything is better with the manual-the fun factor the fuel efficiency the acceleration. The shifts in it are racing slick and instant. Overall I give the car an A.

Submitted: 2012-06-06 | ID: 41142

Jeannine Lees, Australia

Honda Jazz 4 Door 2011

Honda Jazz is ideal for my lifestyle in Victoria. A continuing and annoying fault is the front panel when it scrapes on the kerb, comes loose and the retaining screw comes out which happens frequently. I would not recommend this otherwise ideal car.

Submitted: 2012-05-30 | ID: 41141

M Williams, Buckinghamshire

Honda Jazz 2006

This drives ok, but the poor handbrake system is a big problem, It rolls down my drive when parked. I have been to Honda the garage twice in six months, but it’s still the same. In my opinion the handbrake is not adequate for the weight of the car. I will never buy another Honda again. This is a manufacturing problem that Honda will not accept responsibility for. I have owned cars for over 40 years and this is the worst car I have ever owned. Steer clear of the Honda Jazz if you want to buy a good car.

Submitted: 2012-05-12 | ID: 41143

Mary, Dorset

Honda Jazz 2008

I was talked into buying a new Honda Jazz in 2008 to replace my Renault Clio. I thought it was a good buy as I had tried the Honda Civic and liked that. However, the Jazz soon began to cause trouble when the handbrake started to fail on my drive, which is not very steep. I also had to replace the windscreen wipers after one year and had to have two new front tyres and the tracking done after two years. The car feels tinny, (I have cut myself several times on various parts of the metal work). It is difficult to steer and is costly to run. It steams up very quickly and it is sometimes difficult to get into reverse gear. It has been recalled once because of an electrical fault with the front drivers window, etc. I would never touch another Honda after this experience. I am now looking to replace it with a smaller much more ecomonical car and will be very wary this time before I make that all important decision as to what car to purchase.

Submitted: 2012-04-21 | ID: 41140

Jay, Leicestershire

Honda Jazz 1.4 Auto 2009

This is the worst car I’ve owned for 30 years. The driver’s window failed at 36,000 miles, it has dire fuel economy (34mpg), it developed gearbox judder (not fixed) at 43,000 miles and also has external temp sensor failure (not fixed). I can’t wait to get rid, it’s rubbish. The dealer is very jolly, but not curing the issues.

What a plonker this man is, I have owned 4 of these cars and not one problem - David Fisher from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2012-03-23 | ID: 41155

Marco Lemieux, Canada

Honda Jazz Fit 2009

Car of my life and believe me, I drove many cars as a car salesman from 2006 till 2009. This car is very roomy, fuel efficient, very comfortable in all seat, very versatile with those seats that you can fold down so easy. I compare this car to a small pick up truck, just to tell you how roomy this can car can be.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-10 | ID: 41157

Margaret Leppard, Stirlingshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 2004

A great car that is used regularly on 130 mile motorway trips and locally. I love the seating position, visibility and tardis like interior. I was very happy until I too had my first problem this summer with the handbrake when parking on a slope and only just escaped going into a shallow stream. My husband finds the engine a bit ’busy’ at higher speeds.

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 41154

John Drennan, England

Honda Jazz 1.2 2008

The car is a fine example of a supermini and I love the deceptive space inside, but I have a big concern regarding the handbrake after I left it parked on a small hill and upon returning to the car I found it had rolled forward about 12 inches. Luckily I had parked tight to kerb. I now always leave it in gear when it’s parked. I believe others have handbrake concerns with the Jazz. Mine passed it’s MoT ok!

Submitted: 2011-12-07 | ID: 41153

Pat, Australia

Honda Jazz 1.5 CVT 2004

Just sold our 2004 1.5 CVT Jazz after 7 years and 60,000km of ownership. A great car. I loved the interior space; you should have seen our two bullmastiffs sitting in the back! Now, are you ready for this? In 7 years of ownership we replaced one windscreen, one battery and one set of rear wheel bearings. You can’t complain about that! Would I buy another one? Like a shot, but sadly, Oz Honda gets its cars from Thailand now and that doesn’t attract.

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 41150

Panos Kiriakakis, Greece

Honda Jazz elegance 1.3 5mt 2011

I have my Jazz since 25/1/2011 and I am very happy with the car. It is very quiet inside and economical on fuel; 5.6l per 100 km inside town. The engine is very powerful in high rpm. It has exellent build quality with nothing creaking inside the car and everything is very well assembled. The brakes are very good with good sensitivity.

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 41149

Trudie Tearle, Gloucestershire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2008

The car was provided with a 45,000 mile service prior to being collected from the dealership. I wasn’t told that the brake pads were almost gone and the clutch was worn, I thought it was just a case of getting used to a new/different car and of course Honda don’t provide any warranty for wear and tear. To find out if there is a problem with the clutch they would have to tear the car apart which would only take 5 hours, after which if it was discovered that the problem was wear and tear then I would be responsible for all the charges. After forking out for what I thought was a quality used car to then be stung with brake pad and replacement clutch all within 4 months certainly doesn’t reflect well on Honda. I will never buy from a dealership again.

Submitted: 2011-08-14 | ID: 41151

Tom Callaghan, Lanarkshire

Honda Jazz 2008

A great car pity about the water ingress at the rear end, also mine has a dodgy drivers door lock, but I would still recommend the car. It is generally good on fuel consumption and it’s very roomy.

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 41152

Jane Nicholas, Carmarthenshire

Honda Jazz 2006

Love most things about the car, but handbrake is dangerous. Had a ’goodwill’’ replacement of calipers in April 2010. Less than a year later it needs new calipers again. I’m not prepared to pay. Honda won’t help because ’goodwill replacement parts are not covered by 12 month warranty’. Not much goodwill there! Do they fit sub-standard parts when they are paying for the repair themselves??!! I intend to take the matter further. Any suggestions welcome.

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 41127

Ruth Sheppard, England

Honda Jazz 2002

I bought my Jazz 3 years ago and was impressed by the fact that it is so roomy for a small car. I like the fact that the bck seats drop down to make a flat base. I easily put a fridge in it and there was still more space. However, I have recently discovered that it has a leak in the boot and this causes water to sit in the spare tyre space and the water is also under the passenger rear seat foot space. I didn’t realise this was common ’til my friend had the same problem. I note another reviewer has the same thing. I can never achieve more than 44.4 mpg so not sure whether that is average. I am mostly a short distance around town driver. I would say on the whole the Jazz ticks all the right boxes, just a shame about the water problem.

Hi Ruth, I got the same car and it has the same problem. It’s leaking in the boot, can you help me? What did you do to stop the leaking? I have been with this problem for one  year now - Ahmed Mohamed from Lancashire

I also have the same problem. How’s the leak of your Jazz now? I just discovered mine recently and haven’t addressed the issue yet. TIA - Von Manzano from Philippines

I had my 2002 Jazz for six years now and I have the same problem with water in the spare wheel well and the car is always very condensated up in cold weather. Also could anybody give me any advice on why both door locks have seized up? The only one working now is the boot - Susan McShane from Lancashire#

Hi same car, same problem. Noticed the problem soon after I bought it from a Honda dealership. They wouldn’t do anything about it as it was covered under wear and tear. They quoted me £75 per day to find where the leak was coming from and that it may take them up to 3 days to find it! What a cheek! I’ll never go back to them to buy a car. I still have a leaky car. Anyone have any idea where it may be coming from? - B Ayers from Inverness-shire

Guys and gals, all these slightly panicky sounding reports of water leaks, someone already posted their fix. A little bit of sealant top centre of the rear window rubber seal. If that doesn't work I would simply drill a hole in the bottom of the spare wheel well where the water is pooling to let it out. I did that in my old Pug 306 passenger foot-well - works a treat! Other than that... I like the reviews and am trying to persuade my other half to buy a Jazz :-) - from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 41131

Doug, Warwickshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 cvt 7 2008

Have just tried the new cvt Jazz. The old one is better, the new one has more body roll (running the tyres at 40 psi improves the handling.) The old DSI will take a serious amount of revs, the cvt is smooth. This car comes after a Range Rover 4.0 auto and a bunch of motorcycles, it gets used hard but never abused, 29000 on the first set of tyres. Insignificant wear on the discs front and rear at 32000 miles, engine barely audible at idle and between 39 and 49 mpg. No mechanical problems, can fit 3 mountain bikes inside (only front wheels removed) I don’t know what the comments regarding the steering relate to, the car handles brilliantly, flat around corners even up to the point where the car is drifting. I can’t fault the straight line stability, maybe at speed in a cross wind, but what do you expect? It’s a small light car. Three years old and not a single rattle or squeak anywhere, whats not to like?

I bought my Jazz through a private sale 3 years ago and also have this problem. Took me 3 months after purchase to figure out why my windows were steaming up and the car smelled of damp. Have had the car looked at by a local garage and they couldn’t find where the water was coming in. I now put 2 large towels in the tyre well to soak the water up and know that when my windows steam up. I need to change the towels - from England

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 41128

Liz McDonald, Renfrewshire

Honda Jazz SE 1.4 2008

Hand break is dangerous, doesn’t hold on hills. Steering is poor. very stiff and doesn’t self centre. Still in dealer’s waranty and they say that is just the way it is. Very disappointed. Have to keep it as can’t do much else.

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 41130

Shaun, Devon

Honda Jazz Automatic 2007

Good little car with more space than you may think. However no one mentioned the leaks, I have a water leak in the back, as a result the tyre well and rear foot wells have been soaking up water for some time The constant wet dog smell in the car was the give away. Also found that the rear window washer pump has gone at a cost of £75 to replace.

Submitted: 2011-02-19 | ID: 41125

Paul Bird, Lancashire

Honda Jazz 2009

I’ve found my Honda Jazz great but the dealer sold me a car owned by someone else when I stipulated I wanted an ex-demo car owned by them. The car is ok, but the after care service is zero, they won’t even answer my phone calls. I would never go back to Honda again.

Submitted: 2011-01-21 | ID: 41126

Rome Rodriguez, United States of America

Honda Jazz 2008

Good car to own. There are some expensive dealerships so do your research first. The roomy interior is the first thing that caught my attention. Though not the best steering, it is easy to maneuver. This is thanks for the under-the-hood upgrades like the axle assembly.

Submitted: 2010-11-30 | ID: 41111

Reg Kelly, Vale of Glamorgan

Honda Jazz 2008

Good car but problem with parking brake. Ours has run backwards as have Jazz models of several friends.Honda checked our car and made a few adjustment (for which they charged.)

I also have a 2008 Honda Jazz and it let me down very badly with handbrake failure on a steep hill in traffic. Very scary! Took it into the Honda dealer who tightened the brakes no charge, but this had not cleared the fault and the car still rolls with handbrake still on. Get no response from Honda apart from trying to tell me how to drive. On telling them I am experienced and know how to drive on hills they have not responded! Am taking the car back to the garage tomorrow... - Marie Pugsley from Sussex

I have Honda Jazz (54) Automatic 1.4 CVT. It is now over 6 years old but since it was new I have complained about the handbrake to the Main Dealer. The brake is ’adjusted’ at least twice a year, improves for a day then it is rubbish again, fortunately being Automatic not so hazardous on hills, although I park on steep sloping drive. From the reviews I have read this is not an isolated problem - Lynne Smith from Gloucestershire

Traded in a Civic for a 57 plate Jazz Sport. I do agree about the parking brake problem as my car rolled down our driveway as a wee girl was going by on her bike. Luckily we were in the car at the time and managed to stop. Complained to Honda and all they did was put it through a roller test mahine which they use for MOT testing and it PASSED. I got the handbrake cowl replaced twice as it broke when trying to park. My friend is a mechanic and he said to me that the only way to resolve the problem is to replace the handbrake cable. Failing that it is quite possible that the car is too heavy for this type of braking - Steven Hutton from Lanarkshire

I have exactly the same handbrake problem. The car rolls backwards on hills. Despite having it adjusted, the problem returns. I have also had two recalls on the car in two years for faults with window controls and lights. Very disappointing. This handbrake problem seems quite serious but I’ve found Honda to be a very inefficient company. I’d never buy another - Kelly Jones from England

On my 2008 Jazz, I have a potentially serious problem with the car rolling forwards without warning. Honda know all about this established fault with the Jazz but presumably think that if they ignore it long enough customers will give up in defeat. It is not safe to leave your Jazz parked in neutral with the handbrake firmly on. Funny how you don’t see this fact mentioned much in the sales literature. Honda need to address this problem and recall - G Stafford from England

Submitted: 2010-10-29 | ID: 41104

Karen, Yorkshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2004

Great car to drive but watch out for expensive dealers. Got mine new and it’s now done 80,000 miles. Problems I’ve had seem very familiar: rear discs corroded within a year (replaced under warranty); gearbox bearings replaced at 65,000 miles (£390 at independent gearbox specialist); nearside rear wheel bearings have just been replaced (independent mechanic, £165, this is a whole unit, he normally expects to charge £50 for this job). Apparently in December 2009 Honda issued a Technical Service Bulletin extending the gearbox warranty on 2002-2008 models (manual) and will strip and replace the bearings. Unfortunately this came a few months too late for me and other Jazz owners who were clogging up forums with the same complaint (I phoned Honda at the time and they didn’t want to know). Also water gets into the spare wheel well in winter - I’ve heard Honda will replace the rear door seal for free as it’s faulty so will be looking into this. Overall a good car to drive but with some expensive flaws Honda are slow to do anything about. Beware if you’re buying second-hand as they’re not cheap and you might be about to encounter these problems.

Submitted: 2010-10-25 | ID: 41110

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 EX 2010

When you put one of the most refined little engines into one of the most cultivated bodies that is clean and attractive - though not particularly memorable - and when you ensure that all subservient systems from the ’snickety snick’ gearbox to the precise steering and compliant suspension have been designed to perfectly complement each other - and when you make absolute provision for the driver to be in total control, yet totally at ease along with fellow passengers, you have produced an excellent small car. That is what the Honda Jazz is; and that is how it was created. The essential character and quality of any complex piece of machinery is, of course, frequently mislaid by ’improvement’ or ’refinement’ - especially when the economic pressure of the marketplace demands cost cutting at every turn - but I’m pleased to report that the new Jazz meets, as ever, those self imposed stringent standards of detail design, construction quality and integrity to make it one of the best small cars. And an outstandingly useful feature, which reflects the ingenuity of Honda’s designers, is the way that rear seats fold flat in an instant to give a van-like facility. There’s none of the nonsense of tugging and pulling or shuffling seats. You just release two catches and.. Hey Presto! You can load it up as if you are ’white van man’. Honda engineering standards are well known for being top notch - and, for example, as one who has worked on many a Honda motorcycle engine - I can tell you that quality and precision are the marks of the marque. The latest version is now better looking but still retains all the qualities of the previous model. The Jazz range starts at £10,990 and rises to £16,620. There is a choice from two petrol VTEC engines in either a 89bhp1.2 or 99bhp 1.4 capacity and specification variants range from the fairly basic S to the sooper dooper luxury EX (Tested here with the 1.4 engine and manual transmission) - not forgetting, of course, the Si which purports to be a ’sporty’ Jazz: completely at odds, I suggest, with the very concept of this Honda which is well established as a car for the genteel and definitely not for members of the deranged ’Go Faster Battalion’ who used to drive flashed up Vauxhall Novas in their yoof. And so, as I threaded the Jazz through the congested network of streets of Gotham City with consummate ease, I delighted in the comfortably light steering and generous field of vision. Where the Jazz excels is the smoothness and easy feel of the controls: gears are creamy, pedal pressures are light and brakes are progressive and strong. These attributes make it a lovely car to drive. Away from the strictures of city life, a brisk dash along more demanding twisty roads revealed a crisply competent car with fluid and elegant handling; but a slightly jiggly ride (curiously, despite the compliant suspension over rough roads). Throughout the range, performance is measured and mannerly rather than inspiring and on motorways speed can drop considerably on long inclines - and at high speed it is not a particularly quiet car when compared to some rivals. Nevertheless, this little Honda is the epitome of creamy smoothness and sophisticated ’delightfulness’ for those who just want a magic hassle free ’do everything we want with minimum fuss’ transportation podule to match their quiet and respectable lifestyle in Acacia Avenue. Of course, being a wicked motor journalist it was my bounden duty to explore the extremes of the envelope. And so, in the interests of truth, justice and etc., etc... I found that top speed was about 113mph. (Readers will surely rest easy knowing that this was achieved whilst driving over a cliff and well away from public car parks). And for cost conscious readers, I’m pleased to report that no matter how much your correspondent used his spurs, fuel consumption never dipped below 40 mpg. Overall, throughout the test, 52 mpg was achieved. I can tell you now that had Aunt Maud been driving, 60 mpg would not have been out of reach. So there we have it. Dare I say that maybe - just maybe - the Honda Jazz is the ’best’ small car in the world?

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 41124

Kate Rhodes, Sussex

Honda Jazz 1.4 EX 2010

Having traded in our Civic 1.5 Sport which was 10 years old we bought our 1.4 Jazz EX thinking this was the ideal car for us as we are now retired and wanted some thing a little eaiser to get into, but we are very disappointed in the Jazz as fuel consumption is worse than the Civic averaging about 45mpg rather than the 50mpg. Also poor quality interior, too many gimicks rather than good quality finish and we have a problem with the gear box as on occasions it is not possible to get any gear. All in all I think Honda need to look at this model and bring back quality.

Submitted: 2010-08-22 | ID: 41123

Andrew Brooks, Leicestershire

Honda Jazz 1.4 s 2002

Retired recently and needed economical runabout. Generally interested in cars & always do my research. Previously had company 2.2 diesel FN2 Civic,(own choice) so knew about Honda quality & engineering. Found a low mileage (43500) example at local dealer, with "proper" Honda 12 month warranty. Spare wheel well was full of water, but knew about common rear door seal problem.(that’s why I checked!) Replaced by dealer. Noticed "buzzy" gearbox, but thought nothing much about it. Noise became much worse-turned out to be bearings, but replaced under warranty. Since then (now 6months), have been nothing but impressed. Ideal "pensioner" car (sorry!). As stated before Grp 3 insurance, £120 raod tax and fantastic economy. Worst 38mpg, in winter, on very short trips with all electrics on, best 63mpg. Averaged 55mpg on holiday (I dont hang about), currently doing 50mpg. Surprisingly nippy for a 1.4 (even my son says so, and he drives a 2.3 litre V5 Golf!). Remarkably versatile luggage area- I recently helped someone to move house, and it’s amazing the stuff you can cram in. Fit and finish generally good. I agree about the ride, and can be noisy, but apparently depends upon the tyres you use. Steering can also be slightly "sticky". However, overall, would have no hesitation in recommending one, provided you check for the common faults first.

Submitted: 2010-08-07 | ID: 41122

D, Northern Ireland

Honda Jazz 1.4s 2004

Bought it new in 2004, 33k done so far. Used 6 tyres, 2 sets of front brake pads, serviced it yearly, 38mpg urban, 51mpg motorway. Great little car, could recommend it to anyone.

Submitted: 2010-08-04 | ID: 41121

Deborah, Essex

Honda Jazz 1.4 2009

Against my better judgement I was persuaded to buy this as we needed to replace our worn out and much loved Toyota Starlet runabout last year (110,000 miles and much missed). It’s undoubtedly good on fuel consumption, but a noisy ride and weirdly uncomfortable seats. Tolerable, but I find myself choosing to take the proper car more often. Keeping the mileage down on this one seems not to have saved us much cash though - we have just had to have the two front tyres replaced at 11,000 miles. The dealership were shocking - rude and unhelpful and unwilling to explain the tyre wear on the inside front on both sides. Not what I would expect and if it goes on like this... Not cheap to run either.... no more Hondas for us! Ever.

My Jazz auto 2006 only done 2866 miles; I only use it for shopping. It went in for a service and M.O.T today and I have been told next year I will need 4 new tyres as they have started to perish. When asked why as only done such a low milage I was told they do after 4 years. My wind screen wipers had also to be replaced; funny all 3 went at the same time! Also had to get a new battery this year. Not on my list now to recommend to anyone. servicing also very expensive. So much for Honda Quality - from Hertfordshire

Tyres do degrade with time as do wiper blades, you get this with ANY car! - from England

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 41118

George Cunningham, Fife and Kinross Shires

Honda Jazz i-shift 2009

After having a 2002 Jazz CVT I bought a 2009 i-shift model. I’ve had it less than a year and have now gone back to a CVT model. A great car spoiled with this terrible auto i-shift system. I have given 4 star rating to the car only, I am afraid 0 for transmission.

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 41117

Geraldine, Berkshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 2010

Noisy, tinny, unstable on motorways, a real gas guzzler, windscreen cracked within first month, dealer said it was a fault with the car design due to large glass roof reducing rigidity of body, unecessary complex automatic wiper and light controls. Honda should remember the old axiom: KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid! Will NEVER buy another one!

I can agree whole-heartedly with the comments about the instability on the motorway of the Honda Jazz year 2010 models. I am currently in a war with the dealer and Honda customer services, trying to get it fixed. Predictably both are dodging the issue. Must admit to being a bit worried about your cracking windscreen, I did feel that the large glass panel in the roof could potentially weaken the body shell. After my experiences with this car and Honda’s dismissive and unhelpful attitude towards it, I will never buy anything made by Honda again - Geoffrey Bailey from Dumfriesshire

I own a 1.4 Honda Jazz ES 2010 and have no problems with stability. I tow a small 2-berth caravan and have no problems whatsoever. Although you will never be first away at the lights. This is my 4th Jazz, get them serviced at a local private garage, none have been back to a dealer for warranty work. I would drive nothing else - Peter Dobbie from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2010-07-12 | ID: 41112

Brenda Lanchester, Suffolk

Honda Jazz 12.2 auto/man 2003

I own a Jazz auto/man 2003 12.2. I am presently recording 55.6 to the gallon urban use, very pleased with this. I travel 12 miles back and forward to work, twice daily totalling 48 miles daily. I did not expect to achieve this on short journeys.

Submitted: 2010-07-09 | ID: 41115

Reg Ward, Surrey

Honda Jazz 1.2 2010

Picked up brand new 1.2(2010) from dealer whilst my 1.4(2008) was having some paint work done. It felt like a tin can compared to my own car. If I was to buy another similar car again I would NOT buy this car as it has lost its quality appeal.

Submitted: 2010-07-07 | ID: 41116

Ben, Northern Ireland

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2007

As has been often repeated this car is very practical and offers great interior space for it’s overall footprint. It can hold 3 child seats (we’ve got stages 1, 2 and 3) next to each other in the back and fit a double buggy and a weekend’s worth of luggage in the boot. Driving it is OK with light controls, good gearchange and free revving engine. However, the steering is vague (I think due to the electric power steering Honda have used) and a the car a little noisy at speed. I don’t notice any problem with poor ride quality. Fuel ecomony is reasonable but nowhere near the claims made by Honda. We get low 30’s mpg for town driving, high 30’s mpg at motorway speeds and low 40’s mpg for more relaxed cruising. Initial purchase and servicing are higher than other cars in the same class but you get more space and better resale so if you can afford it in the first place I don’t think there is anything to lose overall.

Submitted: 2010-06-25 | ID: 41083

Jim Newman, Sussex

Honda Jazz 1.2ES 2008

I have 2 Jazzes both 1.2 engines. The old model knocks spots of the new one for ride, performance and economy. What a disappointment. Can’t wait to trade the new one for something else (not Honda, on this showing), I`ll be keeping the old one though...great car.

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 41082

Frederick Pidgeon, Hampshire

Honda Jazz EX 2009

Thought I was buying a quality product but paintwork finish left a lot to be desired compared to other makes. Less than a year after purchase the alloy wheels started to corrode badly; Honda has yet to comment on full replacement. Would definitely not consider buying another Honda.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-14 | ID: 41080

Annie MacCallum, Argyllshire

Honda Jazz 2010

Great car, I just wish that I could keep it!

Submitted: 2010-06-10 | ID: 41081

Geoffrey Bailey, Dumfriesshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 EX I-shift 2010

Great little car, loads of interior space, the multi folding rear seats are a piece of genius design. On the road, poky little engine gives great MPG, and the I-shift transmission suits both my wife and myself. HONDA THEN SPOIL IT ALL BY GIVING IT THE STEERING CHARACTERISTICS OF A TRABANT. At any speed over 55 MPH it is impossible to keep it in a straight line without constant correction. The electric power assistance comes in in fits and starts resulting in over correction in response to even minute steering wheel movements. Repesentations to both the selling dealer and to Honda Head Office have brought totally dismissive responses, stating that there is no known problem?? So much for Honda`s much trumpeted Customer Care.

Exactly the same problem as my mother in-law had with her jazz. Went for its second service back in September. it has got only 5500 miles on the clock. Told the dealership in Hereford. They checked it and we were then told that the steering rack had to be changed. This problem was on the car from day one. The job was done today on the warranty. Take your car back to your dealership and ask them to check it out. Good luck! - Mark Witt from Wales

I’m glad to see someone else has the problem of the power steering operating in fits and starts on the motorways - it feels really strange and heavy at times - from Kent

I have just been using my father’s 1.4 cvt Jazz, 2006, and I just couldn’t keep it straight in a straight line at speed above 40mph. I found it noisy, and needed to adjust the stereo all the time. This Jazz had a gutless engine, the 1 litre Yaris is better by a long way for handling and ride - Robert Wilson from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-06-10 | ID: 41076

June Hornby, Berwickshire

Honda Jazz ishift auto 2010

I have driven automatic Honda for years and was totally disappointed with the ishift it is like someone doing a very bad gear change and when moving off from stationary, it is very slow.<br /><br />

I find the auto OK anticipating the gear change just like I did way back in the double declutch days. For faster travel the shift stick or paddles are ideal. Quite well kitted out but doesn’t attract unwanted attention for its looks which is fine by me - Richard John Hornby from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-05-30 | ID: 41089

Linda Parker, Lancashire

Honda Jazz 1.4 2006

The only thing I don’t like is the floppy back ledge. The dealer said it was for safety, as in a shunt solid ledges could push forward and injure a rear seat passenger, I doubt the validity of this. Apart from that I like it, as a roomy economical runabout it has to rate with the best. For a long journey too noisy as is the Accord, which we have ridden in.

Submitted: 2010-05-30 | ID: 41091

Pat, Yorkshire

Honda Jazz 2008

Second Jazz, no problems last two years but bought spare wheel. Best car to park, just a pity insurance is expensive. ENJOY.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-26 | ID: 41086

Ali, Angus (Forfarshire)

Honda Jazz 2005

Great car to drive and very versatile. I get 30mpg town driving and 37mpg on motorways, which is nothing like it says in the book. It has had some problems including gear box going, a recall for a window switch and is going in to get the window seals fixed as it leaks rain into the boot and back footwell. Despite this I have never had any concerns that it would break down or be unreliable. Tyres are quite expensive for it and difficult to get if not going to the main dealer; apparently due to the size of them. These cars are like a tardis and huge inside. I have the backseats folded up and have room for 2 dogs in the car. Great wee car.

Fofarshire is questionable. Scots on alert! - Dean Wallace from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-05-23 | ID: 41087

Sam P, Surrey

Honda Jazz 1.2 Petrol 2010

I own a new Honda Jazz 1.2 petrol which is a quite a basic car one can drive. For those users who drive extensively on motorway, this is definitely not the car I would advise. The car wobbles due to the wind pressure, air and traffic noise can be clearly heard when all windows are shut (Honda dealers mentioned this is normal in Honda Jazz), steering is not easy, pick is poor on motorways but the best of all is the fuel consumption. Otherwise I would not go for a Honda Jazz. Honda dealers rip you off during the servicing by frightening you about the condition of your car. Beware of the dealers.. Rgds,

Picking my new Honda up tomorrow, so a bit early to comment on the car’s performance. Please don’t class all Honda dealers by your bad experience(s). Have had some brilliant service from the staff at our local Honda agents in Chesterfield. Not pushy... Gave a good price for the small motorhome we were trading in. If this is a taste of what’s to come - great. If not will let the website know! - David Griffiths from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-05-04 | ID: 41084

Graham Atherton, Cheshire

Honda Jazz 2009

Bought another Jazz in Feb 2009 based on my experience of my first Jazz. Again a great little car giving me no problems with a few important little extras that the first car did not have - air con being the main one BUT it now has a service interval computer that tells me when it wants a service. I have done 15 000 miles in 14 months and it has just informed me it wants another oil change service - the third in that time. This is twice the rate of oil change needed by the old Jazz and at £120-140 its not cheap! Allied to that moan is the fact I read that I could have opted for the fixed price servicing for an up front price of £500 for the whole period of ownership which would have saved me a lot of money but the dealer never mentioned it (I wonder why??)

Submitted: 2010-04-16 | ID: 41073

Tony Green, England

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE Sport Auto 2008

The car has only done 18000 Miles from new (Genuine) it has just developed the the judder from the gearbox start clutch assembly. I have not yet reported it to the Honda Dealer. At the moment I am not very happy.

We have a Jazz as well. It too stutters from a full stop start. Been to Honda several times, all parts changed and it still does it. Took it to aftermarket service in an attempt to repair; they just shake their head and say there is no way to fix it. Apparently there is a computer for the transmission and one for the enigne and they are not syncronised or if they are the dimensions on the parts are not correct but there is no adjustments that can be made.... what you get is what you have. Wish I could sell it but with a problem like this, who would want it? - Ken Lowe from Australia

Submitted: 2010-03-31 | ID: 41074

Bill Taylor, Warwickshire

Honda Jazz 2007

Where to start? the fuel consumption 42 mpg for a non urban daily journey, the grinding noises ("it’s the tyres sir") the days of wasted effort trying to get stuff fixed, the jiggly suspension, the frankly terrifying steering (don’t EVER expect it to steer straight ahead) the tappet clatter on start up (at least this is very nostalgic - it reminds me of a thirty year old Triumph 650) the switchgear it took four attempts to get fixed. Very nondescript. Strange white blooms on the paintwork. GOOD POINTS: Friendly garages (pleasant to talk to while you are waiting for an hour or two) very clever internal layout, nothing else has failed. Paddle shift was very useful in the recent snow. Overall...where is the number of that VW dealer??

Tappet adjustment should be carried out at each 24k/2 year service for the earlier models or at 62.5k for later versions. If you don’t have this full service you will slowly get this noise develop when cold. The white bloom you see, is a scuffed lacquer coat on metalic/pearlescent paint finishes - be more careful! - Marshall Honda from England

Submitted: 2010-02-28 | ID: 41067

Colin South, England

Honda Jazz ES 2009

This is the 4th Jazz I have owned and each new model improves on its predecessor.The current model ticks all my requirement boxes,is comfortable , economical and like the previous models is a terrific all rounder for load carrying and utilisation of space. My one gripe is the rear brake discs are showing a lot of corrosion, which is a bit disconcerting on a car less than 12 months old, but the dealer is to replace them under warranty.

I have just had a 1st service on my 09 Honda Jazz, with less than 4,000 miles the rear brake discs have had to be replaced ( all be it under warranty), the discs were corroded and when releasing the handbrake it would hold on and release with a thud. My biggest worry is that the Civic ( an 09 model) courtesy car had the same issues, the rear discs were even more corroded than on my Jazz and had only 10,000 miles on clock. If the rear discs are only going to last 12 months then I will not be keeping long. This is not the first rear disc vehicle I have owned, it is however first Honda, but is first with a problem - Barry Walton from Cheshire

Yes, I agree with the corrosion on the rear brake discs! My Honda Jazz is only one month old and there are signs of corrosion and it isn’t right. Not impressed. I am still keeping my eye out on any other problem areas, however, the good outweighs the bad for now - Leigh George from Middlesex

I bought my Jazz in April 2009 and like Colin only have one gripe. During the first service in April 2010, the rear discs and pads required replacing at 4,500 miles, I am now approaching my second service and the replacement discs are showing the same signs of corrosion and scoring as before. I have contacted Honda on 0845 200 8000 and have received a response in which they will await a report from the dealer when I have my second service at the end of the month. As an ex-motor industry employee, I know this is not acceptable. I would recommend anyone with this issue to contact above number and complain - Barry Walton from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-02-20 | ID: 41069

Ian Sinclair, Suffolk

Honda Jazz Sport CVT 2005

When the new model Jazz came along in 2009, I tried the i-shift version. I had never realised that a gearbox could be so bad, and I told them. I still use the CVT, despite two letters asking if I would sell it back to the dealers (what could I replace it with?) Since it keeps going, I’ll wait until Honda comes to its collective senses (and I don’t fancy the extra weight and complication of a hybrid).<br /><br />

How great to read this review. I have had a Jazz for 3 years with the CVT and have to say that it has been a most enjoyable car to drive. Hence when I saw the new model with that panaramic roof panel, I thought I would investigate further. Went to Honda garage where I was offered a good price for my 07 Jazz as well as what I thought was a good "cost to change". Everything was going well untill I had a test drive....and OH DEAR HOW AWFUL. The new "automatic" system the i-shift proved to be AWFUL. I was told you had to learn to drive it! I even wrote direct to Honda and was told more or less the same. IT’S AN AUTOMATIC !!!!! which means in my book means you do not expect to do anything but point it and go, not have to watch the revs and feather the throttle for goodness sake. PLEASE PLEASE Honda either bring back the CVT, or take a leaf out of BMW’s book because they are able to produce a SMOOTH automatic drive. I am so sad as I really wanted to buy the new Jazz but no way could I put up with that gear box - Debs Allan from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Submitted: 2010-01-27 | ID: 41092

Marc, Bedfordshire

Honda Jazz SE Sport 2005

Superb, practical car. Gearbox bearing failure must be related to how one drives. Mine got noisy at 120,000 or so and the bearings were replaced then. The car has now done over 150,000 miles, returns 44mpg and has required no other work apart from normal service items. OK, so it’s not the fastest, the ride’s a bit bouncy and the low profile tyres are easily punctured but reliability and practicality are second to none.

Submitted: 2010-01-03 | ID: 41094

Jack Johnson, Caerphilly

Honda Jazz ES I-Shift 2009

I upgraded from the CVT version and find this new car to be more fun to drive. The CVT was smoother but the i-shift works well too. From a cold start I use the manual option, in order to change up rapidly, then shift it into automatic when the car is warmed up. Only once have I opted to shift down manually, when facing a very steep descent. At all other times I let the i-shift do its job in automatic, and cannot fault its performance. I commonly carry a folding wheelchair behind the front seats; this leaves the ’boot’ space free for other luggage. With the rear seats down, the new Jazz will also carry an electric invalid carriage, with plenty of spare room for shopping. The driver’s seat can be raised much higher than in the old version, giving a panoramic outlook to rival an MPV. Only one complaint, and it’s a minor one, like its predecessor the new Jazz still gives a somewhat jittery ride over poor surfaces, but I forgive it since in all other respects the car is ideal. I love it.

Submitted: 2009-12-10 | ID: 41095

Tony Robson, England

Honda Jazz 1.4 EX i-Shift 2009

Having bought my Jazz last February I have found it meets all my needs. I agree the i-Shift is ’differant, but no more than that. Having read my handbook and taken the trouble and time to practice using the i-shift - it works well, folks! Do not expect it to operate as other well established automatics.

Fair point, but not all drivers that buy this car have driven a manual. Or hold a manual licence. This car is very popular with people of retirement age. An I-Drive only version is not practical for people looking for a smooth drive. It is directed at the Sports models, and that type of driver for a more involved drive - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-12-03 | ID: 41096

Keith Jackson, Yorkshire

Honda Jazz esi 2009

This is a great Car and my 14th Honda! I started aound 1972/3 with a Honda N600, then a Honda Z, then one of he first Honda Civics in York. Since them I have had two other Civics, a Honda 600 truck, four Honda preludes, a Honda H-RV and a Honda C-RV. I’ve now got the Jazz, which I’ve had 10 days. I’ve only been let down once by one of their Preludes, which let me down with the petrol pump but then redeemed itself on the drive. Great Cars.

Submitted: 2009-11-23 | ID: 41098

John Kidd, Middlesex

Honda Jazz 2002

I bought a 2002 Jazz from autotrader 1 year ago. I’m very pleased with my purchase, even though EGR valve failed shortly after I bought it and I have had to replace a driver door lock which seized solid, both common faults in a second hand jazz I understand. These problems aside I do not contemplate too many more. It drives very well and is very well equipped. It has more than enough space for 4 adults and averages 48 miles to the gallon. I have to take into account that I paid only £2600 for a very good car, which should now prove a reliable runaround for my rather tall kids.

Submitted: 2009-11-02 | ID: 41099

Kenneth Smith, Nottinghamshire

Honda Jazz 2009

Went for a test drive. Must say that the i-shift "auto"is dreadful compared with my truly automatic 1.4, 3-year old Jazz. Also,the dealer wanted to add on £175 for not having a spare wheel! Think again Honda.

Submitted: 2009-10-13 | ID: 41100

John Lees, Stirlingshire

Honda Jazz Sport. 2006

I have had this car since Sept 2006 [my second one] and it has never let me down. It now has 37,000 miles on the clock and so far all I’ve replaced is the two front tyres and the windscreen wipers. I easily get 45 MPG . It’s amazing what you can get into the back with seats folded flat. My only complaints are dear servicing, no engine temperature gauge [you get blue and red symbols to let you know if the engine’s cold or hot] and a space saver wheel. Also the car isn’t the quickest. Apart from that it’s great.

Submitted: 2009-09-18 | ID: 41101

Dave, Surrey

Honda Jazz 1.4 ES manual 2009

Although I have owned my Jazz for just one month and clocked up only 480 miles, mainly on B roads in Surrey and Sussex, I can honestly say that it is a delight to drive. The seats are really comfortable, better than some of the more expensive cars I’ve owned. Close inspection reveals good fit and finish, no squeaks or rattles and taken over all, a well built little car. Must go, I’m of for a drive, just for the fun of it.

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 41102

Kim Davies, Surrey

Honda Jazz i-shift 2009

I agree with Colin Horey - the i-shift in auto mode is dreadful. Previously I had a Jazz Sport Auto which I loved. I’ve even considered exchanging my new Jazz for the previous model!

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 41103

Horey Colin, England

Honda Jazz ishift 2009

Having just read Ian Sinclair’s report on the Jazz ishift I have to agree. In auto mode it is absolutely terrible. I have had the car 4 weeks and used it mainly in manual. My previous Jazz was auto which I had 4 years. I am very sorry I bought this. Honda should go back to the drawing board and design a good auto.

Submitted: 2009-07-20 | ID: 41186

Peter Dabbs, Lincolnshire

Honda Jazz 2008

The way Roger Ashton of London has been told to set the handbrake is quite correct. Press firmly of the footbrake and pull the handbrake lever up without operating the release button. This is the instruction given in the drivers manual for the Corsa D and a Ford Fiesta 1.6 diesel which I owned recently. As a driver instructor I have been teaching this method for some time now and find that the handbrake is far more efficient. You can soften the sound simply by curling a finger underneath the button. Although this method is still queried by some driving examiners I am sure the manufacturers know best !

Submitted: 2009-07-09 | ID: 41187

Julian Dolman, Worcestershire

Honda Jazz 2008

Can Roger Ashton of London whose aunt had problems with the Jazz handbrake please get in touch - forgemill@btinternet.com. Thank you. Julian Dolman.

Submitted: 2009-06-11 | ID: 41190

Robert Little, Dorset

Honda Jazz 2007

I am on my second Jazz, the first time I have bought a second car. Local use or trips to Scotland from Dorset - a doddle. Next replacement - yes - a Jazz.

Submitted: 2009-05-11 | ID: 41189

Will Henry, Yorkshire

Honda Jazz 1.4EX 2008

Unbelievably good car with space that far exceeds that of many in a class above. Practicality cannot be bettered, this is simply the most useful small car you can buy. Terrific engine, especially with a few miles on the clock and never gives less than 50mpg. EX variant is very well equipped and is worth the extra money to get climate control and the like. Great design, fantastic build and excellent to drive. Also totally reliable. The complete opposite of its predecessor (Toyota Yaris) in every respect.

Submitted: 2009-05-08 | ID: 41188

Roger Ashton, London

Honda Jazz Mach 2009 2008

My aunt bought a brand new (March 2009) Jazz ES 1.4 i-VTEC (Petrol) i-SHIFT. She applied the hand brake in the normal way and left the car, when she returned she found the car had move from the position in which she left it. On reporting it to the supplier, they said you must NOT use the button on the hand brake; you must click it through the ratchet. This is not something we were taught to do, as we are told the ratchet will wear out and not work. Comments on this would be appreciated

Submitted: 2009-04-20 | ID: 41180

Keith Watton, Staffordshire

Honda Jazz 1.2DSI 2007

Bought new 2007. I had 3 of the old style Civics previously. No problems with the car it does what it says on the tin. 1.2 engine not very powerful but hey what can you expect from a car that achieves 64/65 miles per gallon on a run and over 50 miles per gallon overall. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Submitted: 2009-03-09 | ID: 41181

Sheila, Berkshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE CVT 2004

I have always been extremely happy with my Jazz, particularly with the space and fuel economy. I was disappointed however to have the rear wheel bearings replaced at 35K miles at a cost of £400. Not something I was expecting so early in my car’s life. I understand this is not uncommon having looked at the internet.

Submitted: 2009-02-06 | ID: 41182

Ian Sinclair, Suffolk

Honda Jazz Jazz ES 2008

It’s a lovely car for anyone who drives a manual. The "auto" version (i-shift) is, however, abominable. I never thought I could ever criticise a Honda for the way it drives, but the ES i-shift was both sluggish and jerky. Rather like being driven in a manual with a very bad gear-change. It felt slow to get away, with a back-jerk at each gear change, as if I were stabbing the brake at each change up. My options are to keep the old CVT (smooth and nippy) or look for another small automatic that is truly automatic.

Submitted: 2009-01-22 | ID: 41183

James Logie, Fife and Kinross Shires

Honda Jazz 1.4 se 2004

Car is easy to drive and has been trouble free for 4 and a half years. Full Honda service history. Car bought from new, service costs can be high. Just touched 55000miles without any major repair, only brakes [second set all round only 50% worn], tyres etc. [15000mls front replacement]. Only gains 2 stars as gearbox bearings have failed at 55k so you can imagine the cost of repair. Ensure you take out a warranty after the manufacturers warranty ends. Awaiting reply from Honda UK as I believe this should not have happened. Won’t hold my breath but I will raise the star rating if Honda assist and keep my custom. The new Jazz looks good but if build quality is in question what will the future costs be?

I wish I could have got that far! My gearbox bearing failed after only 13,500 miles! My fault for being a low mileage driver, as the warranty had expired the year before. Honda paid labour charges, but I had to pay out for another £113, plus various other charges, for what I consider to be faulty original parts! Reading on the Internet I find that gearbox bearing failure on the Jazz is is not unknown, and I have heard from a good source that it is due to side- loading when the clutch is depressed; that I cannot comment upon. I bought my Honda on the basis of its great reliability record, and am disappointed. Yes, it is a great car otherwise, but now I do not think I would buy another, you must have confidence in a car - Michael Simmons from Buckinghamshire

Submitted: 2009-01-07 | ID: 41184

Lex Jackson, Middlesex

Honda Jazz Auto 2003

Very economical, very roomy and practical. A/C failed after 49,000 miles. Also this has 8 spark plugs, local garage (not Honda) did not know, eventually burnt out the 2 coils....... Costly, but a brilliant car. Sold after 5 years for 1/2 of new cost.

Submitted: 2008-11-12 | ID: 41165

Ken, Cheshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 dsi 2003

This was my wife’s company car until very recently when she purchased it from the company! The car is now five years old and other than routine servicing has only ever had tyres, wiper blades etc. It has sailed through its two MOTs and has never failed to start on first turn of the key. Fuel consumption is approximately 50mpg and on the motorway will cruise no problem at 70 all day. I sometimes have to check the rev counter at traffic lights etc to see if the engine is still going as it is that quiet.The bodywork keeps remarkably well and looks as good as new after a visit to the local hand car wash. Interior is extremely spacious given the exterior dimensions and the general interior feel is quality without being luxurious.We have enjoyed our "little Jazz" and my wife treats it as one of the family its that dependable. Finally my company car is a brand new Golf TDI 170 bhp which on the motorway is exceptional, but when I am going out locally I still find myself reaching for the Honda keys knowing I will come back smiling (all of you Jazz owners know what I mean).

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 41167

Dudio Ludio, Swansea

Honda Jazz 1.4 LS 2008

I was thinking which car to buy instead of my Citroen Xantia as a second car for my family (kids 7+9) for long journeys and holidays (we decided to keep 12 year old Citroen Ax for city rides) and was very disappointed when first saw JAZZ because it was small in dimensions comparing to Xantia. But my friend who have had it for several years just said: go inside and try to drive it and ask the dealer agent to show you all that can be done inside it (all positions and tricks with seats). I was really surprised with its possibility on the road but also huge space inside. So when I took my wife on a test drive she said that we don’t have to look at other cars (price of new Jazz was 13.460 EUR) because she loves it at first sight. After a few minutes of discussion in front of the dealers shop we agreed to buy it - no regrets. When I was buying the Xantia I spent several months trying to decide what car I’ll buy. We really can’t wait the day Jazz will be delivered to us.

Submitted: 2008-10-20 | ID: 41166

Nicola Scott, Berwickshire

Honda Jazz 2005

Great car, well worth the money . Fuel is a lot cheaper than my old car. It is good for room in the boot and smooth running.

Submitted: 2008-09-15 | ID: 41168

Graham Atherton, Cheshire

Honda Jazz 1.2 base model 2006

Brilliant car, cheap to run. Has returned 48mpg over a combination of 5 - 10 mile daily trips and monthly 500 mile motorway journeys totalling 38.000 miles over 30 months. Nothing has broken, never failed to start and it even cleans up well after a couple of weeks of my 18 month old son daubing various unnamed substances all over the rear seats. It has been suggested that I upgrade to a bigger car next year with more comfort for rear passengers - a Civic perhaps - but with fuel prices the way they are 68mpg from the new model Jazz sounds very attractive.

Submitted: 2008-07-14 | ID: 41172

Sajid Choudry, Lancashire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2003

I bought the jazz from the local Honda dealer, I have been very impressed with the Jazz. For me the clincher were the back seats - that is the base of the seats can be raised up, the amount of interior space is more like a class above, my previous car was an Astra 94 model and the boot space was very similar to the Astra but the jazz is a lot smaller outside. People sitting in the jazz for the first time comment on how much room there is. Running costs, road tax £120, insurance group 3 and petrol costs are very low. Making visits to the petrol station less frequent than the previous car. The Jazz has idsi petrol engine with vvt the engine uses 8 spark plugs, this results in 50mpg, the same economy as a 1.0 litre but the performance of a 1.4. The petrol tank has been moved forward instead of the rear which frees up load space. Equipment wise the jazz is very comprehensive, ac electric windows all round electric sunroof, cd player, alloy wheels all of these enhances the drivers enjoyment. The only negative is the ride its bit harsh on poor roads, and tyre noise is loud too but this is due to my car being one of the early model, and i have changed the tyres to Nexen tyres these are a lot better then the Yokoma which were on before. I had a courtesy car from the Honda dealer a jazz 08 and the ride was a lot better, engine performance wise i go for the 1.4 anytime, as its ideal for cruising on the motorway. For servicing costs I pay into a servicing plan monthly, a reasonable £15 per month, to which all the consumable items and labour are covered which to me is a good deal. If i did not pay into the plan I would have been paying up to £450 so its best to enrol into the service plan, another aspect of Jazz ownership is that it holds its resale value very well.

Submitted: 2008-07-11 | ID: 41173

Chris Smith, Shropshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2003

Marilyn Burford, England Honda Jazz 2007. I have the diesel engine version which is pretty noisy on starting and takes about 5 miles to get going. As I only do about 10 miles a day this is a big draw back. The children like it however and they call it the jazz mobile. I don’t know what car you are driving Marilyn but Honda have never sold a Jazz with a diesel engine - your two star rating for a non-existant model has prevented the Jazz getting an average of 5 stars in this forum - well done.

Submitted: 2008-06-23 | ID: 41179

Chris Smith, Shropshire

Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 2003

I’ve had Honda cars before and thought I was downsizing to a Jazz, but it’s a lot bigger inside than people think. Can get two sets of golf clubs with two folding trollies and holiday luggage for two in the boot without folding seats down. Normally get about 55mpg commuting 25 miles each way to work, and about 45mpg around town. Smooth engine with torque coming in low down in rpm range, tractable and easy to drive without having to change gear too often, the gearchange is light and direct. Easy to park with very small turning circle and light steering for parking, but stiffens up as speed rises, fairly quiet ride (depends on tyres fitted) and can hold conversation easily at 70mph.

Submitted: 2008-06-05 | ID: 41178

Marilyn Burford, England

Honda Jazz 2007

There isn’t a diesel version of the Jazz to my knowledge - Keith Watton from Staffordshire

As stated, there has never been a diesel version sold in the UK, therefore the comments are completely useless. - Neil Moor from Devon

Submitted: 2008-06-03 | ID: 41174

Tom, London

Honda Jazz 2008

Hello. Does anyone out there drive a Honda Jazz or know anyone who does? I work for a company in London who is putting together a short promotional documentary film for Honda, and we’re looking for contributors to chat about their car and their passions/interests, and how the two come together. If anyone does have a Jazz and would be interested in contributing then please give me a shout - my name’s Tom and i can be contacted either on hondafilm2008@yahoo.co.uk or on 0207 194 7056... Thanks for reading this, Tom.

Submitted: 2008-06-03 | ID: 41177

John Morton, Suffolk

Honda Jazz 1.4cc 2007

Best car I ever owned, beats my previous Volvo 440 hands down. It took 3 adults and myself as driver on a journey through France just after I purchased it; with four cases in boot. We averaged 48.5 MPH over 1,875 miles. Amazing around town; about 46 mph, on longer journeys with two we average 49.2 mph... Its upright seating is extremely comfortable which means I can drive further without have to get out and stretch my poor old legs. If the Jazz has a downside it’s a harder ride than my old Volvo. Finally, it will be my car of choice for years to come.

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 41170

Jennifer Kelly, Vale of Glamorgan

Honda Jazz 1.4 i-DSI SE 2007

This is quite simply a wonderful car - it was Japan's 2002 Car of the Year and I can see why. The driving position is excellent; the interior is well constructed with everything where you would expect it. One thing that pleased and surprised me was the generous amount of loading space once the back seats had been lowered, carrying flat-pack furniture was not something that I thought would be possible when I purchased the Jazz but it has proven remarkably adept in this area. I wanted long-term reliability from my new car - reports suggested that this is exactly what the Jazz would give me and that it has done. This is a well constructed, green and stylish car.

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 41171

Sally Crooks, Surrey

Honda Jazz 1.4i SE CVT-7 2004

I’ve had this car from new and it has been the best car I’ve ever owned. It’s been totally reliable and I still enjoy driving it after all this time. I will be looking to change my car soon and will have no hesitation heading straight for my local Honda dealer and getting another Jazz. Brilliant car, loads of space for size of the car and very capable over short and very long (France and back) journeys.

Submitted: 2008-04-22 | ID: 41169

Daniel Chan, Cheshire

Honda Jazz 1.4i-DSI SE 2007

Excellent car, out-classes all of it’s rivals. A brillant supermini, featuring fold flat rear seats for clever storage solution. Great on the motorway, quiet and acceleration is fantastic. Residuals are great too.

Submitted: 2007-10-31 | ID: 41163

Brian Harrison, Norfolk

Honda Jazz 1.4 Sport 2007

After one year of ownership, this really is a great little car. After changing from a Passat Estate I had expected to have to make a lot of compromises, it may be smaller but the adaptability and quality more than make up for that. Don’t waste time, buy one now!

Submitted: 2007-10-23 | ID: 41162

Marnie Russell, Ceredigionshire

Honda Jazz Honda Jazz 1.2i DSI 2007

This is a brilliantly versatile little car. I love the way I can fold both the back and the passenger seat flat for storage space, it’s inexpensive to run and to insure and I think looks really smart. I really like the wide windscreen too, makes me realise how poor visibility was in my previous car (Matiz). Really nippy around town although I must admit I’ve not been on a long journey in it yet so will see how she does when I go to Cornwall next month.

Submitted: 2007-08-09 | ID: 41164

• D O'Gorman's question has been answered: "I think the car assumes it is dark when the lights are on and so does not want to dazzle nor spoil your your night vision of the road ahead. - Hugh Walker from Surrey' '..." (28/08/2014 13:29:48)
  • jagdish's question has been answered: "Anyone who says, "just avoid potholes" doesn't live in Surrey. - Hugh Walker from Surrey' '..." (28/08/2014 13:25:50)

Honda Jazz

i-VTEC HE Hybrid CVT - Freshened up for 2011, the enhanced Honda Jazz builds on the characteristics that has made the Japanese supermini one of the most popular in its segment. A new front, reintroduction of a CVT gearbox, improved magic seats and revised engine choices can’t disguise the fact that the introduction of hyb [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Honda Jazz i-VTEC HE Hybrid CVT

Honda Jazz

1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT - Looking for something to make the pulse race? Then move along. Looking for a well made car, easy to drive, with high fuel efficiency and low CO2 emissions? Then the Honda Jazz could well be for you. Honda’s smallest car might be low on thrills but it makes good sense in so many other areas. The old [...]

An image of the Honda Jazz 1.4 i-VTEC ES i-SHIFT

Honda Jazz

A surprisingly roomy supermini, the Jazz is a great car to drive. Honda is not offering the cheapest supermini but the Jazz is without question a classy car to own.

An image of the Honda Jazz