Ford Transit consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Transit consumer reviews by year of make:1994 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Ford Transit consumer car reviews

Derek, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 90t 350 LWB 2002

Had this van for almost 9 years, bought with 68k miles on it, building trade so heavy work at times , gave very little trouble and still going strong with 134k miles now on the clock. In general I could not really fault this van.

Submitted: 2014-03-24 | ID: 40740

John Boy, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Transit SWB 2006

Bought my swb 2.2 Transit with 43k. It had no problems until it hit around 60k. New gear cable as snapped whistle in city centre, 2 new fuel injectors and I have just fitted a new clutch and flywheel to it. Lucky for me I have a good mechanic. Fixed it all no problems, on 75k now. I love my Transit, I’m glad I got it for a good price; I would never fork out 23K on a new one. I would consider the mk8 once they come down in price. My honest opinion though is the mk6 Transit was the best ever made, bullet proof.

Submitted: 2014-01-28 | ID: 40750

A Beckett, Shropshire

Ford Transit 1996

Mk 5 ’smiley’ is a great van. Totally reliable (to be fair it’s only done 65000 miles). Drives really well, the only problem has been some rust, which was my fault for not fixing a hole that appeared right away. Apart from that it’s awesome and we will be keeping it as long as we can. If you’re going to buy a transit, make sure it’s a pre 2000.

Submitted: 2013-12-04 | ID: 40748

Mark Bronte, County Armagh

Ford Transit 2009

Hi, just got a new Transit Custom 2 weeks ago, but traded in my old 2009 Transit with 290,000 on it with the same clutch. What a workhorse.

Submitted: 2013-11-11 | ID: 40749

Ray Davies, Lancashire

Ford Transit 1998

Bought new Transit van from Fords of Bolton back in 98. Lovely van, only done 100 miles when on the way to work the van started to misfire and loads of smoke coming from the exhaust took it back to Fords of Bolton they had the van for 3 days then told me the bomb shell that the engine was goosed so they wanted £5000 to replace the engine. I told them it only done 100 miles and would be under warranty they came back to me and said that some had dropped something in the engine I said, "Why would someone do that when it’s your only vehicle?" To cut a long story short after 3 months of the van being down at Dagenham for forensic they came back and told me it would be done under warranty because there was a fault with the valve stem seals. I had no problems after that.

I bought my 2007 280 85ps SWB in 2009 and it had 18k on the clock. Never caused me any problems until a couple of months ago when I noticed it leaking oil. Apart from that it ran like a dream. Took it to the garage, by now with 132k on the clock and they replaced two mail seals and as they had the gearbox out I asked them to put a new clutch in as well. The total was just shy of 1k (ouch !). - When I got it back from them it was noisy where previously it had been qui

Piston on my 2003 2.4 diesel minibus has got big chip out of it - why? Why did yours go? Engine has only done 72k miles - William G from Lancashire

Submitted: 2013-09-23 | ID: 40743

Omar Ahmed, Conwy

Ford Transit 2000

I love my Ford transit 120 swb smiley face. This van make and model is fantastic in so many ways. its cheep to repair and just goes on and on without a fuss. This is my third 120 swb nothing can beat it as long as you service it well and keep the body work up to date then you will have a van that makes you smile for life well dune ford please remake them as they beat all other transits hands down. swb is like driving a car ive use it everyday and life would be dull without it. Camping, fishing, working everything you could wish for.

I am getting one of these vehicles this week end. Is it possible to ask you how much shelving you would recommend as I plan to install custom built storage for my wooden work materials and completed items of work. Many thanks - Adam MacIvor from England

Submitted: 2013-09-14 | ID: 40741

Andrew Hope, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 280 SWB 2010

Van was sourced through Ford Direct and sold by a Ford dealer in Middlesbrough. Six months in wrote and gave them a list of ’snags’. Thing was in dealers’ garage for a week, supposed to have done all 7 items on the list but hadn’t. So-called exhaustive tests couldn’t discover the cause of squeaking noise. Mate discovered the exhaust wasn’t secured properly. Rust has been an increasing problem. Wiper blades are rubbish. Stone chip guard to underside is coming off. VW can show Ford how to apply good quality stone guard! Electrical faults are on the increase, fuel injectors are clogged and the fuel consumption is through the roof. Body work develops rust on a daily basis. Ford couldn’t give a care. The dealer is a waste of space, admits the product is of poor standard "the one that got away "he said. Service at the dealership is dreadful and their work incompetent. Dealer thinks by way of compensation he’ll sell me a new van. He doesn’t appear to understand that I bought this one so that I wouldn’t need to think about buying a new van for at least 7 years. At this rate the one I have will be nothing but a rust bucket before it’s 3 years old. Plan on taking dealer to court under Sale of Goods Act 1979 for faulty goods.

Submitted: 2013-09-14 | ID: 40747

Debbie Lampard, Surrey

Ford Transit 1998

Up until now I would have given a 5 star rating, but this past month has been a nightmare. My van has only got 15,000 on the clock and yet I broke down on the M6 and had to be towed to main dealer in Stafford as the AA couldn’t do a proper diagnostic test on it, so it had to be done by dealer. It turned out no.4 injector had gone. Got it repaired and had it back from the garage a week before it broke down again. And now after another diagnostic test injector no. 1 has gone down. This is at a different garage now that I’m back in Surrey. No telling if no’s 2 and 3 will go or when. Costing a fortune. I would normally be covered under warranty but I’m out of it, despite only doing 15,000 miles. Not nice.

Submitted: 2013-08-05 | ID: 40746

Charlie McWilliam, Northumberland

Ford Transit LWB 1996

Hi. I’ve had a few of these vans over the years (Smileys with banana engine) Ford Transit aficionados will know them. They are the best! So much so that I have searched the internet for another with a good body (the only let down) and found one. I bought one of these years ago from a local guy who was wanting quite a bit for his van considering it was a bit rough and no oil showing on dipstick. Topped it up and got a years service with only the clutch pedal ratchet failing (a £ 30.00 fix) sold it and got what I paid for it. Then saw it two years later still going strong! So looking forward to my new one, which I will apply a million coats of Waxoil to. Happy motoring!

Submitted: 2013-07-08 | ID: 40735

Toussaint Chevallier, England

Ford Transit Luton 115 6 speed 2006

Remember the smiley face? The last decent transit! In a word all new Transits are rubbish, good luck to those with ones that have provided no hassle. Mk7 known faults: Wiper motors, locking system, egr valves, uncomfortable if you are 6ft with long legs, DMF, gearboxes, thirsty as hell, only run on the cleanest of fuels, electric spasms if left unlocked, useless headlights, badly designed handbrake causes wrist and back strain in stop/start conditions, useless brakes under load. All my vans have covered no more than a poxy 140k miles and all have needed major work at major cost, ironic when the parts are made out of the cheapest materials known to man. I run a fleet of these and I am happy to tell Ford to shove them when it’s upgrade time. P.s. My X reg Merc Sprinter just past 800k, yes, 800k miles on the same engine and box. Transits are cheap for a reason, they are the biggest piles of rubbish on the road! I have two Renaults that have cost less to run by a long way. Never ever again will I buy a Found On Rubbish Dump (Ford). I hope they go bankrupt! I grew up round Fords, but I now want them to be resigned to history. Steer well clear and buy a Merc instead (polish it every 6 weeks though!). Had to give 1 star as there was not a minus 30000 option.

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 40734

Frank Carberry, England

Ford Transit 2009

Starts first time. Since I got it four years ago its only needed new pads on the front and one oil change.

Submitted: 2013-05-18 | ID: 40736

Brian King, County Antrim

Ford Transit 2008

Bought my 2008 Transit at a year old with 10,000 miles on the clock. The side door handle was broken so was replaced as was the battery. It also needed a new ERG valve and the track rod had gone at 20,000 miles. I had a ’97 Transit bought in 98 and drove it for 11 years of trouble free driving. I drove it like a slave and it never let me down. It had to be scrapped, not because the engine was done, but the old Ford issue of rust! My 2008 is 5 years old with 28,000miles and now the old issue of rust is back, it seems the Ford will rust no matter what you do as I keep my van immaculate. People remark thinking its a new van and if it wasn’t rusty round the edges it would be good as! A Mercedes for me next as I can’t be doing with the let down.

Not Mercedes if you want to avoid rust, Vitos have an awful reputation for it - from England

Spend a few dollars on fish oil and spray all the inner panels and boxed sections. I’ve never had a spot of rust on my cars or van. - Michel Frenchys from Australia

Submitted: 2013-05-12 | ID: 40737

David, England

Ford Transit fwd 2006

The build quality is a let down, bits just seem to fall off. The rust cannot be stopped, wheel arches have been sanded back treated, primed and painted, but one month later the rust returns. I cannot see me keeping this van, which is a shame because the ride is good.

Submitted: 2013-03-30 | ID: 40731

Mark, Leicestershire

Ford Transit 125ps swb 2004

When I first got the van, wow, I loved it! Then the clutch exploded @30,000, then rust started to appear. Ford use cheap metals. I bought the van for £7800 and I’ve spent to date about 4k! Beware, it’s also has terrible mpg - the rust bucket just has to go!

Submitted: 2013-03-19 | ID: 40730

John Clark, Ayrshire

Ford Transit 125 T350 mwb fwd 2012

I wrote a review sometime last year mentioning some minor faults with this van and decided to give it a chance and the benefit of the doubt. So where do I start? In 85000 miles it has had three clutch assemblies, three flywheels, two complete gearbox rebuilds and this month’s fault was a gearbox mount failure resulting in the gearbox being left hanging precariously. The company I work for has also got another two of these vans, one has been off the road since January with various electrical problems and the other has had gearbox rebuilds and flywheel failures, so not a good advert for Ford. When these vans are due for renewal I will be strongly advising my company to go back to Sprinters as from 2001 till 2012 we had seven Sprinters all covering in excess of 300k miles each and only four days in total off the road due to fuel pump failure. As it happens we will be luck to get to the end of our lease period with these vans as they are basically turning into nothing more than scrap metal. As for the dealer, they couldn’t be more unhelpful if they tried. Thank God for the AA.

Yes... You’ve had the same problems as me, I’ve got a 2003/53. 125 t350 LWB fwd, and I’m on the 4th gearbox, and 5th clutch and flywheel. 3rd set of engine mounts and I’ve has the gearbox mount fall off as well. Other than that all pretty good, I think the fwd transmission is massively under built for the 350’s with the 16" wheels. Mine runs fully loaded at all times and it can’t take it. Just bought a 280 with 15" wheels and it feels better geared - Ben Rogers from Devon

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 40732

Michael Kenny, Ireland

Ford Transit 2.4tdi t350 115ps 2007

The worst bus ever! The side sliding door never closed properly after visits to several Ford dealers. I found back suspension to be too solid [hard] and passengers complained. Ford changed the shocks once, springs twice and made the suspension harder resulting in two passengers being injured. A factory built bus in Turkey. Ford don’t want to know about it they just take your money and say goodbye to you.

Hi, I own a T300 Transit van. But I have to say, it’s even stranger to reply to someone with the same name, as it happens my father’s name is also Michael Kenny. - Our family decended from Mullengar and County West Meith.

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 40728

Donald McIntyre, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Transit Trend 2012

I purchased a brand new Ford Transit Trend in July 2012 and have had various problems with it. The main problem is several leaks in the rear of the van. The dealer had had the van back 6 times and cannot find where the leaks are coming in, even after extensive examination. Of the 6 months since I purchased the van, I have had it for only 3 months and it had been in the dealer’s garage for the other 3! This was my second Ford van and I certainly will not be buying a third one.

Hi Donald, I can only say like you I’m disappointed with the acceleration with this model, it dies on hills and takes forever to get from 70 to 90 and it cannot even get to 100 before it runs out of road. I went back to the delear to have it checked out, but nothing wrong they said. I went out in a new van, same model trend 125bhp, I got 200m and then had loads of warning lights come on. I had to go back to the garage, what does that tell you? Not at all impressed and I’m still waiting for answers. What a waste of money. - Joe Smith from Cornwall

Submitted: 2013-01-12 | ID: 40723

Graeme Lock, New Zealand

Ford Transit 2010

At 38000kms the clutch and gearbox had to be replaced (at my cost too because "It’s the way you drive it", according to Avon City Ford). When we complained that it should be a warranty job their response was "You can’t have the van until you’ve paid the bill" ($7500 thank you very much)! Since then we have spent another $20000 approx keeping it on the road. A totally appalling vehicle purchased from an equally appalling dealer. Avon City Ford know they sold a lemon, but won’t stand behind their product. The 03 Transit I had prior was a superior vehicle reliability wise and I wish I still had it.

You should write and complain to the head of Ford for your country explaining your problem with the dealer and tell them you will be cc-ing all complaint and correspondence with every car magazine, program and online forum you can. I would leave them in no doubt by cc-ing your first letter to all. You should also let your scum bag dealer know you are doing this. You can do this all the way to the head of Ford USA - Graeme Powell from Renfrewshire

Submitted: 2013-01-01 | ID: 40726

Mike, Cardiff

Ford Transit 2008

Been told by everyone buy a Tranni and finally took the plunge. Lovely to drive, just bad luck at the beginning; the oil cooler went, fingers crossed things will get better.

Submitted: 2013-01-01 | ID: 40725

Mike, Ireland

Ford Transit 2009

A great van. The only issue is the rust problem.

Submitted: 2012-12-26 | ID: 40720

Mike Thompson, County Antrim

Ford Transit 110 260 swb 2008

Bought brand new it now has 95k on the clock and has always been dealer serviced. It’s awful! £2500 spent since it has been out of warranty. Ford should be ashamed to put their name on these vans!

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 40719

Jon Roberts, Flintshire

Ford Transit Jumbo 17 seat bus 2006

Good basic bus, comfortable and averages 27 mpg. Have had from new and have done 60000 mile, replacing 1 set of brake discs, 1 egr valve and 2 sets of tyres in that time. Also, under warranty, I had the gear linkage adjusted, a new heated screen, gear-box oil seal and a half shaft oil seal replaced. I love the drive, nice and torquee, smooth and quiet.

Submitted: 2012-12-04 | ID: 40718

Steve Beck, Hertfordshire

Ford Transit lwb high roof 135hp 2004

Bought this dead on 3 years old with a possibly clocked 32000 and no service history and a crunchy 6th gear (still no worse now). I have run it for 5 years in London, all day every day and it now shows 102000. Unfortunately a driver pulled out of a T junction last night and I T boned their Saab 93 at about 20 mph, I still drove home though. Overall this van has been very reliable, although it wears front tyres on the inside. It has also needed a new clutch and single mass flywheel at 80000, new brakes, battery and starter motor and it had a bad misfire last week that turned out to be a poor electrical connection on an injector (fixed for £60 + vat). Very pleased with it, I hope they don’t write it off.

They have just written the van off and offered me £3100 for it!! All I see on autotrader for that money is 140-160k rubbish so just contract hired a top spec 316 mwb high top sprinter with all the toys for £400 per month - Steve Beck from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2012-11-20 | ID: 40721

Luke Pierrepont, England

Ford Transit 120 swb 2000

Had this W plate smiley van 3 years and it’s been an absolute legend!! It now has 155k on the clock and other than routine servicing it’s never had a spanner on it and never let me down. It’s pulled heavy trailers, towed various vehicles and carried as much as I can fit in the back! It takes it all in its stride. It may be steady, but always gets me there. Just recent I’ve considered buying a 2008 110 bhp model, but I’m put off by all these bad comments about them,still unsure what to do!! And my old smiley is still looking quite tidy and is rock solid underneath.

A mate of mine has one of these after upgrading from a 1999 Transit, he swears by it. If he didn’t need a bigger payload for his business he would still have his original business vehicle to this day as it is truly a piece of marvellous engineering - Adam MacIvor from England

Submitted: 2012-09-08 | ID: 40716

John Williams, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2.2 TDCi LWB MR 2011

Could not leave 0 rating, what a bag of ’rubbish’. I’ve had problem after problem and it is costing me so much money on loss of production and garage costs. The dealer is just a parasite.

John, are ALL dealers not parasites? I believe they are, smiley, helpful, courteous... then the sale... then the ’who are you?’ and couldn’t give a shit about you stage. Scumbags - Brian Drummond from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2012-08-27 | ID: 40714

Norman Collins, England

Ford Transit Limited 2010

After many years in the maintenance sector I have had many vans, including early Transits, but this is one of the best vans to date. It had a small electrical problem after about a month, but that was soon sorted by the dealer. The only thing I would change for my own personal use would be: 1). A built in sat nav. 2). A speed limiter in place of the cruise control. This would be more use than the 6 cd player fitted to my van. I believe there is a new Transit to come out shortly, let’s hope Ford have got this one right as well or I may have to look else where as I change my van every 3 years.

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 40713

James Whiffen, Hampshire

Ford Transit 1.9 tdci 2005

I have a 2005 Torneo minibus, which is used as a taxi. It is a continuous money pit for replacing non consumables. Crank pulleys are a favorite along with the tensioner. I have replaced the engine mounts and the stupid dual mass flywheel. The track rod ends are a usual 20k mile replacement. All the parts are designed to fail a few weeks after the warranty runs out. It shakes and wobbles. I’ve now been told it needs a new gearbox, which has come out in sympathy with the rest of the failing parts. Real Rubbish, £25ks worth. Aaaaaarh!

To say the vehicle is rubbish you are very kind in words, I have a similar minibus here which I bought only after one year on the road and since it has been at my garage. I have changed 3 cylinder heads, one turbo, loads of fuel injectors (here they cost near 200 euros each), fuel pump twice and 8 months ago I decided to change the whole engine so I bought a reconditioned one from England, total cost for shipping engine and fitting cost over 4000euros. Last week timing chain broke without any warning so we had to dismantle the whole thing and are waiting for parts so it is also costing loss of use totaling to thousands of euros since I had it. It spends more time at the mechanic than on the road. BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY WORKING LIFE HAVING BEEN IN TRANSPORTATION BUSINESS FOR OVER 25 YEARS. FORD TAKE NOTICE YOUR VEHICLES ARE WORSE THAN RUBBISH - Alfred Zammit from Malta

Submitted: 2012-06-10 | ID: 40709

Andrew Wood, Durham

Ford Transit 2.5 2000

I bought a transit 7 years ago with 76000 on the clock and full service history and only sold it last year with 3578000 on it as it was getting a bit long in the tooth. It was the best van I have ever owned, it never once let us down and it would be hard to find another van as good anywhere.

Submitted: 2012-05-30 | ID: 40711

Mustafa Assadi, Australia

Ford Transit VH 2002

I wish I could give this van a rating of -5. I got this van with 100K on the clock for 12,000 AUD. Three weeks later it stopped in middle of the road and had to be towed to a diesel mechanic. I was told it would cost $5000 for new fuel pump. A call from the mechanic revealed that as the old pump died it killed the injector with it. A further call from mechanic and I was told there are more problems and the car’s now been in the garage for a month. I think I’m changing every mechanical part in this van! Stupid me for trusting the useless Ford brand.

Submitted: 2012-05-28 | ID: 40712

Tommy Kernohan, County Antrim

Ford Transit lwb hr 350 2002

Bought it in 05 with 55k on it. I have spent thousands keeping it going with none consumables. eg. new injector pump, central locking, fuel pump, injectors, dual mass flywheel, clutch etc., and a replacement engine at 125k miles! The guy who fixed it said the third piston always goes in them and you’re better off replacing the whole engine with a second hand one. It’s now bust too. I always hated it and it is now a big white garden shed as I wouldn’t sell it to any poor soul. Actually it makes a better shed than a van.

Submitted: 2012-04-30 | ID: 40704

John Clark, Ayrshire

Ford Transit 125 t350 mwb 2012

Just got rid of a Merc sprinter to have this van due to increased payload and being cheaper overall to run, or so I thought. Turns out to be quite thirsty and very cramped and uncomfortable in the cab. After covering 25k miles in first 3 months a few things are starting go wrong, allbeit minor problems like drop links, ball joints and wheel bearings, although I suspect the state of the roads may have something to do with this. I have also noticed that when the van is running at maximum payload at motorway speeds it tends to sway about the road. On the upside it has bags of torque, it’s quiet, the payload is brilliant and servicing and repairs are cheap enough. I probably wouldn’t get another Transit, instead I’d go back to Mercedes as they really do run forever, my last having done 240k miles without a day off the road. Mercs also offer loads of standard equipment such as cruise control hand free bluetooth, trip computer, etc., and they have a much roomier and more comfortable cabin.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 40705

Chrit Houben, Netherlands

Ford Transit 2.0l Duratorq Bus 2001

In 2011, I was, more or less, forced to buy a bus in order to let our holidays in Spain happen. We planned to go with 2 passenger cars, but a week before departure the driver of the second car got seriously ill. So I bought a Ford Transit 2.0l Duratorq 2001, which used to be a taxi and so it already had a high mileage at 208,000 miles. I bought it and a week later we were heading for Spain. I only had renewed all tyres and had new oil and oil filter put in it. Now, after almost one year of ownership it has not yet needed to go in to the workshop. It really is a terrific car. The mileage now is 219600 and I will take it into the workshop for maintenace next month. I have been driving a Renault Safrane for 11 years. I sold my French limo and will keep on drinving in my’" Tranni". I really love it and hope it will keep on rollijng for many years. The engine really is super; practically no oil consumption and it has no problem with towing my caravan or trailer. By the way, the very first car I bought way back (35 years ago) was a Ford, and now "I’ve come home", back to Ford again.

Submitted: 2012-04-11 | ID: 40707

The Kid Hom, England

Ford Transit lwb 115ps 2008

After having an 2001 transit for 10years with no faults Decided to treat myself to 2008 lwb 115ps. I have had the van for a year now and yes I have had a few problems; egr fuel sensor, replaced door seal and wiper motor too, it has been in the garage just as many times as my old transit. The engine power is good, but I’m also having problems with a cruching gear change. In short this is a big let down by Ford and I would not buy another, but I do like the Transit van. This van now is not the same and will cost you a lot in up-keep. Sort it out Ford and built back in the UK.

Submitted: 2012-04-09 | ID: 40708

Dave, Lincolnshire

Ford Transit LWB T350 Medium Roof 2.4 Diesel 2005

I use my LWB medium height roof T350 as private, everyday transport. It doesn’t carry loads (of anything), but I would absolutely recommend it to anyone who needs a decent sized inexpensive van for that purpose. Being a rear-wheel drive model, the floor is a tad high if you need to load heavy cargos, but on the other hand, it’s ideal for easier-to-handle objects, equipment, or building materials for example. They also make an inexpensive good option for anyone thinking of converting a van to a home-made camper? It’s reasonably nippy for it’s size and weight (empty) and there isn’t a lot that can make the 2.4 diesel engine run out of steam. The 5 speed gearing is just right for a vehicle of this size in my opinion, but I will say the gearchange lever is a bit like a spare lamp-post (if that kind of trivial thing bothers you?). It’s quite content to sit at motorway cruising speed all day, or low speed town work, but is understandably ’slightly’ more lumbering around town. The dashboard is all plastic (easy to clean?), but admittedly looks a bit dated compared to very recent vans. The one I’ve owned for the past 2 years, has now done 160,000 miles. As far as I know, it has had no MAJOR components replaced during it’s lifespan so far. (I got some history with it when I bought it). I think it’s a great ’all-rounder’ in the van world, and if you are choosy, and wait for the right one to crop-up for sale, you can still find them in decent condition, with no serious problems, and undented/undamaged body panels. They would be almost the perfect van (in my opinion) if the M.P.G. was better, but having said that, don’t we ALL wish ANY vehicle we own was better on fuel? Much as I like my Transit, I have to be honest with anyone who is a potential T350 buyer and tell you that there is one thing I totally hate about T350’s, and that is the amount of electronics involved in making the engine run. They have ’sensors’ and ’relays’ in abundance, and if and when they conk-out, finding the problem can be a nightmare if you haven’t got big bucks to hand over to Ford or some auto-electrician to rectify it. But then, most modern vehicles have that downfall nowadays. Other than the electronics side of them I definitely recommend them to anyone hunting for a good van.

Submitted: 2012-04-05 | ID: 40706

Barry T, Ireland

Ford Transit 115 Trend 2011

I got this van in April 2011 from Desmonds. An absolutely amazing vechicle spec for the Trent, a must have! The tecnology is great. I love the hill hold, a brillant feature and the heated windscreen is too. I’ve had Transits for the past ten years and I have never been let down ONCE. A credit to the brand.

I agree. I have had TRansits for the past 20 years and can’t fault them. My latest one was bought in March this year, a new 13 plate 260 110. A great van. I always waxoyl all my vans when I buy them and keep them polished. I also have a 10 plate Transit camper and I still see a couple of the vans I sold running around. - Donald MacDonald from Hebrides

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 40701

John Lockie, Durham

Ford Transit Jumbo crew cab 2005

The roof panels were not sealed during the manufacture and the rust came through in 3 years. It was repaired at the dealership, but 2 years on and the rust is through again, rust at the top of the windscreen, rust underneath and all over. I have spent thousands on repairs. One one occasion I had to brake hard; the brake and clutch servo burst off, leaving me without either. I am lucky to be alive. The van needed a new servo, a new clutch and as fifth gear was damaged, you guessed it, a new gear box costing £4000 to fix. This was the last straw and I gave the van to my dad as I can’t afford to keep it. I got a company van on lease. Guess what? Another Ford! Dad has so far had to replace the prop shaft, brake pipes and tyres. The front door top rubber seals have fallen off for the second time! The dealership reckons they are only guranteed for 12 months, what a joke! I can’t believe the Ford Transit has got so bad. Dad’s got a 1988 Transit pickup and it’s still reliable, maybe they are now being built in the wrong country where standards are non existent. Do you think I will buy a Ford Transit again? No chance, unless they come with a no quibble life-time guarantee!

I have all the same problems and worse. It would cost me more to fix than what the van is worth. I will never buy another Ford - Michael Coll from Ireland

Submitted: 2012-01-05 | ID: 40699

Chris, England

Ford Transit 100ps SWB 280 Medium Roof Executive 2001

Bought mine at 80,000 with four previous keepers including a hire company. Very impressed with how these drive, smooth quiet and car-like. Has had front wheel bearings and batteries. Love it!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-12-02 | ID: 40698

Phillip Wright, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 2009

Hi all. Don’t buy one of these vans. They have just about sent me bankrupt. The back bone of this country, what a joke. It’s had: 2 fuel pumps, 3 sets of injectors and the duel mass is the worst idea ever. Not to mention the rust that’s coming through. Money, money, money that’s what Ford want from you and they’ll get plenty out of you. Buy a smiley Transit, not the fastest but they keep going. If you need something more stylish and need more power my best advice to you is don’t use Ford.

Submitted: 2011-12-01 | ID: 40697

Pete Jenkins, England

Ford Transit 2.5di 190 lwb 1997

I bought this van two years ago with 125k on the clock and have now covered another 30 thousand trouble free miles in it. It’s been fantastic! I had to get rid of my 2005 Renault Master due to lack of work and thought I’d only keep the Transit for a few months, but I just can’t get rid of it, it’s so reliable. If it wasn’t for the fact that people judge you and your trade on first impressions of how your van looks I would keep it forever. Its a shame, much better van than the Master I had.

Submitted: 2011-12-01 | ID: 40696

Pete Johnson, Yorkshire

Ford Transit T260 85 2004

AVOID! AVOID! AVOID! These vans turn into rust buckets within 2 years from new, and in many cases one year. Ford have a misguided understanding that the majority of business owners will dispose of the vehicle after 3 years as a tax loss and buy another new vehicle. Not a good mind set for any vehicle producer!!

Submitted: 2011-11-28 | ID: 40695

Derek King, Scotland

Ford Transit swb 260 110 2008

I’ve only given the van 1 star because 0 not available. It’s done 19000 miserable miles and is now on its third gearbox which is still not right. Ford refuse to fix it and their staff say all 5 speed boxes are rubbish. It is knocking whilst turning left again, but Ford say there is, no fault, it must be me with 36 yrs driving behind me! The side door came out of its runner, the engine malfunction warning comes on when its a cold mornings and Ford’s excuse is a ghost on the ecu. So it’s haunted or is it me again?! Now to a more serious problem, rust. Yes, plenty of it; rear wheel arch, all weld sections on the underside and no underseal. After a difficult warranty claim the wheel arch is to be repaired, but they are not intrested in the underside or welds. Please note!

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 40690

Irish Pete, Ireland

Ford Transit 260 110 lx 2007

I’ve had this van new and had a few little problems under warranty; heated windscreen ,quarter glass, egr and the gearbox has been partly re built. It started burning oil at 44000k and I  eventually got a compression test done, which revealed cracked rings and piston. The van is serviced regularly by Ford so I’m trying to get Ford to cover this under the "goodwill warranty". Not hedging my bets though!

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 40689

John, London

Ford Transit 280 swb semi hi- roof 2000

I bought it in 2007 with 60,000 mileage and paid £2000. There was no service history so I replaced the cambelt (just in case) and have now covered a further 25000 miles and had 4 MOTs. Apart from tyres the only money spent has been on a new exhaust system. A great workhorse but Boris tells me we’re persona non gratia in London come January so it looks like the knackers yard! Call me a cynic, but I feel it has more to do with getting old vans off the streets of London in time for the Olympics than saving the planet. I’ve had a couple of 6 cyl VW LT 35s before the Tranny, they were much less noisy but not so reliable, especially on winter morning start ups. Even after fitting new glow plugs and new battery, I needed to keep a spare battery on charge and the use with jump leads on occasions. The Tranny was left standing for over 2 weeks during last winter’s snow and started first time on the turn of the key.

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 40691

Paul Harrison, England

Ford Transit 280 SWB 2010

I bought a new 280 SWB from Lookers, Sheffield. I will never buy from thier commercial dept again. They don’t want to know when they’ve off loaded the van, but the warranty are helpful. It’s a rubbish van, it went in for the clutch and flywheel after 150 miles, then it went back in 10 months later for a 3rd/4th gear syncro. You can get a hand massage on the steering wheel when you turn the fan on full and the radio has to be on to drown out the gearbox noise. My previous 02 Transit had done 90k. Can I have it back?

I’ve got the same problem with my 2011/61 plate 140 AWD. It developed knocking from flywheel at around 1,900 miles, several Ford dealers said "no probs" or "erm we dunno mate, keep driving it". At 2,200 miles, very loud noises from drivetrain and vibration in every gear, undrivable, it’s still at Ford and probably will be when I need it for the snow! 2007/57 100T330 previously, 120,000miles drove faultlessly, whatever Ford have changed, they need to change it back, fast! - from England

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 40685

Darren, Lancashire

Ford Transit lwb 2.5 diesel 2000

I purchased my 2000 smiley face lwb 2.5 diesel van 2 years ago with 99000 on the clock for £1150 on ebay and in that time I’ve had 2 faults, being the exhaust and the brake pads, which have both been very cheap to fix. I have never had any other faults and I’ve done 20k since I’ve had it, and that’s with heavy loads everyday. I’ve always had this shape Transit, which in my opinion is the best van on the roads by far. Mine is all full of rust now; wheel arches and back doors, but it wouldn’t cost that much to fix as the parts are very cheap for these vans. I was going to buy a more stylish van, but to hell with them I’m gonna clean it up and keep it forever!

1998 Ford Transit 2.5 Custom 120. Water pump started leaking. That`s it for problems. Bought a Mercedes VIto 2000 CDI. Big Mistake. Going to look for another low Km Ford Early 2000. Brilliantly slow and reliable. They don`t really rust in NZ either - Mattias Fridgh from New Zealand

Submitted: 2011-11-06 | ID: 40687

Paul Jenkinson, Berkshire

Ford Transit 350 lwb hitop 115 2007

I had to replace the main shaft bearing in the gearbox at 100,000 at a cost £1000. Then engine started to make a bad rattle sound when cold and then when hot. I had the fuel side checked at a cost of £160 only to be told its an electrical problem. I had this checked at a cost of £249 to be told it’s an injector problem! I feel like I’ve been taken for a ride and I’m not happy. I have always had Transits, but I think will be changing that next time.

It had the same problem as you. The van never ran right since I bought it new in ’07, engine blew and the cost to fix it is 6,000euros not worth even thinking, they reckon the injectors and cause the funny noises, bring it to the dealer and tell them check it. I also had the usual jobs done EGR valves etc, it’s a costly fix when it blows, might try the Renault Master five year warranty seems interesting - Derek Smith from Ireland

My van has been with the dealer for two months as injector destroyed piston and ruined engine. Ford say that I should have known something major was wrong which I absolutely did not until the day it went, no warning lights. no smoking. The van is 08 with full Ford SH. They give a three month warranty as standard which I think is outrageous, would expect at least a year. I feel completely let down as their stance is basically that it’s out of its (three month!) warranty so I’m left with a £4,500 bill having only had the van 11 months and it’s only just done 60k! Shocking - Dan Cross from England

Submitted: 2011-10-26 | ID: 40682

Dan Patience, England

Ford Transit 115ps limited 2009

This van is a joy. I previously owned a vw and in my mind it doesn’t even compare. I have the limited 115ps, it has all the toys, not even most prestige cars have heated seats, a/c, auto lights/wipers,bluetooth, voice control and parking sensors. The driving position is great and it pulls very well, due to its sixth gear it will sit at 70 to 80 mph on the motorway very comfortably. Its very economical for a large van and if driven right I can get 43mpg on my commutes (A roads and motorways), although I’ve found if you do start taking it much over 70 mph it will become just that little bit more thirstier. The rear load space gets the 8x4 sheets in easily and it will carry a ton of sand with no problems, what more can you say? The only problem to date was a software upgrade needed for the stereo/bluetooth system, which was resolved under warranty.

Submitted: 2011-08-03 | ID: 40693

Sid, Roxburghshire

Ford Transit 130 t280 GLX Doublecab 2007

I bought mine 11 months old with 2700miles on it and it ran great. The items I’ve replaced so far are: Air con pipe, window winder mech, 2 egr valves, flywheel bearing(?), 2 sets of anti roll bar bushes and an anti roll bar drop link. The other issues I’ve had are that the white paint has a brown stain just below window height, which won’t come off with traffic film remover. It has also started rusting under the arches, weld joints and inside the door rubbers. All in all I’m not impressed. It does have 86k on the clock now, but I do need another egr valve. The thing is fully Ford dealer serviced 1-2k before service date, and the clock won’t keep the time, according to Galasheils garage, due to the aftermarket alarm. Also, the door recesses in the front can fill with upto 4" of water when driving in heavy rain. open the door and it all flows out, but the same dealer told me that part of the vehicle is external to the van so that’s OK! Even though at 70mph, I can lock the van, and soak my feet in 4" of water. Needless to say that garage is not on my list of useful places to go. No rust protection and poor water seals, along with expensive egr valves. Otherwise it hauls like a steam train and is very, very comfy to drive very long hauls in. The air con in the double cab is a little weak, 35C degrees in France and it struggles to stop you sweating, even with a gas change the week before, at least that is my finding.

Submitted: 2011-08-02 | ID: 40694

Paul Sharples, Lancashire

Ford Transit LWB Med roof 2007

I Bought this van late last year. The starter motor failed two days after buying it, which was replaced under warranty. Other than that there were no other issues. I am aware the 2.0 lt model is gutless on motorways, I had one over the weekend to move house,  the 2.4lt, however, pulls like a train with 32+ mpg. A great van. I like the driving position and that the gear shift is on the dash. Last week the egr unit failed, this is a very common fault and a clean up does not fix the problem, a new one is required. This is an expensive part from Ford at £270. Other manufacturers supply the part for much cheaper at £150 and it seem to last as long. There is a lot of them out there so some people will get a bad one. You need to keep to service schedule to look after the engine and then you will have less problems. Good luck.

Submitted: 2011-07-22 | ID: 40692

James, Essex

Ford Transit 260 100 SWB 2004

I’ve never been let down by my 2004 SWB Transit van. I bought mine getting onto 4 years ago. It has started EVERY time, in all weathers (Be it -5 or the height of the summer) without fail. I treat my van to Redex Diesel treatment when I fill a full tank of fuel. I change the fuel filter well before it needs changing (a tip from a Dagenham man, who drives a spotless white Peugeout 205 Diesel van that is very, very rare now). Best wishes to you all.

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 40651

Philip Turner, Sussex

Ford Transit t280 125ps 2006

Bought second hand with full service history and 27000 recorded miles on clock. 12 months later with 40000 miles on clock diesel injectors failed, replaced by Ford main dealer for £1250.00+. 6 weeks after same problem, apparently diesel pump failed wrecking new injectors, another bill for £1250.00+. Rust spots all over side panels and sills appearing. Good load space and that’s about it. I would not buy another one.

Submitted: 2011-06-06 | ID: 40647

Roger Owen, Shropshire

Ford Transit 260swb td 2006

I bought a 260swb td year 2006 2 years ago with 27.000 miles on the clock, now done 62.000 serviced regulary, not by main dealer. The only parts it’s had are front brake pads. Excellent van, would buy another one.

Submitted: 2011-06-06 | ID: 40648

Pauly Milburn, Yorkshire

Ford Transit Trend 2010

Bought brand new Transit 01 2010 nothing but flat first battery, nothing done by dealer Sanderson Ford, Scarborough. Now may 2011, fire under steering wheel, fuse had blown no 77- 5a, I had to remove the covers, van was going to burn to a crisp. I had my two young boys in the van. AA arrived, I replaced fuse 77 with a led blown fuse, I test circuits. Took van to same Ford dealers, they refuse to do anything with my van saying that the fuse was changed with 10a from 5a although fuse was circuit test fuse. I am left with new van, no electrics. By the way I am a Ford trained electrician and marine auto electrical specialist.

I had my van set on fire. Ford would not even look at it so the more I looked into the fault the more I found. Follow @transitonfire twitter, well worth a look. - John Isle from England

Submitted: 2011-06-01 | ID: 40649

Andrew Brittain, England

Ford Transit 115 hp 3500 2006

Done 206000 miles, been serviced at all the right intervals, not had any problems all apart from a water pump at 196000 miles original exahust and battery. This van pulls like a train and is nearly alway loaded with at least a ton and can’t even tell it’s in there. Amazing, much better than the disposable vans; Renault, Peugeot and Fiat, that I have had before.

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 40638

Innes Deignon, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2008

I’m sorry to say but this van is gutless, nothing but problems. My latest problem is the van won’t always start straight away. I’ve had a diagnostics on it, changed the ignition barrel and lock, starter taken out, the fly wheel teeth checked and cleaned, a new fuel filter, still have the same problem. This van has spent more time in the garage than on the road, now every time I’m driving Im waiting for something to go wrong.<br /><br />

Is it in cold weather? It could be cold start valve on pump - Pete Smith from England

I had same problem but found it to be a bad connection at switch at end of barrell. So I tied a tie rap around the wiring to pull wire to side where connection was better. It worked - Tony K from Ireland

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 40639

Shane O Hara, County Down

Ford Transit 2.4 TDDi 90 Flat Bed 2004

I have a ’04 Transit TDDi dropside with tail lift on the back. Bought the van seven months ago with 87k on the clock and was going fine for the first few days. In the cold, the engine was very hard to get started, it had a major service before I bought it and had just been MOT’d. Then the instrument dials all failed as did nearly all electrics in the cab such as radio, heater, light and windows. Then driving home in the snow the engine died and lost power steering along with the brakes. I was extremely lucky I wasn’t involved in a serious collision! Got that fixed and now more recently I have been losing all power and it will not rev at all unless I pull over, turn her off and let her sit for 15 seconds, then restart it and she revved perfectly. Everytime this happened the heater light kept flashing until I pulled over and switched it off. Once I was 59 miles from home and this happened 34 times on the way back. Apart from all that it’s handy and despite the problems I’ve had, I love it! Only other complaint is the gearbox, it revs over 3300rpm when sitting at 65/70 mph in fifth gear too!

Sounds like either your injectors are on the way out or your turbo electronic actuator is knackered - Stuart Quinn from Scotland

Is the clutch good? Also sounds like its in limp mode, check your fuel hoses are secure - J J from England

Your fuel pressure switch in the back of the pump is failing causeing the van to go into limp home mode. The light should be flashing on the dashboard, will not rev. Costs about £65 for a new one (2.4 tdci delphi system) - G.S Autos from Staffordshire

I had the same problem on my 03 van. It was the fly by wire throttle sender. Ringways changed it and five years later it`s still going strong. Off topic - it went through four starter motors in quick time till I I had the dual mass flywheel replaced with and after market solid flywhee for £150.00 plus VAT - Gordon Taylor from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-04-28 | ID: 40642

Patrick Cooper, County Antrim

Ford Transit swb 1.8 tdci 2005

At 123000miles boom, clatter, clatter; leg out of bed, 3rd piston, looking at the front a 2nd hand engine required.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-04-12 | ID: 40652

Paul Bond, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 350 2003

Bought brand new in 2003 used for transporting granite worktops. It’s a 350 90 psi never had anything apart from a new power steering pump done now 131000 in it. Running good, not the fastest, go everywhere about 80 on motorways, just goes and goes, don’t know when to change? Do I keep on going or change? Hear so many stories saying easy 250000 miles, dont know what to do. Still a fantastic van, would not buy anything else other than a Ford Tranny.

Hi Paul, I’m considering buying a 2004 350 lwb 90bhp for my wholesale food business but for what I’m using it for, I could have it doing 1000 miles/week so fuel economy is a big point of issue when making my decision either way. I like the length and reliability of a Transit but don’t know how this model would perform on fuel. Would you have any idea of what sort of mpg you’re getting from yours? - Neil McMullan from County Armagh

Hi Neil, I had a 2003 Transit TDCi and it was the worst van ever, you name it and it went wrong! I’m an Armagh van man myself and I had to buy a new van due to the amount of problems with the Transit. So I bought a 2005 Peugeot Boxer 2.8 HDI and I currently have 150k on the clock and she never lets me down! Great vans. I would avoid the Ford - Damian Murray from County Armagh

Submitted: 2011-03-11 | ID: 40653

Mike Stewart, Scotland

Ford Transit 280 Lx 2007

I’ve got to say this is a great van in general, however there are a few flaws. The battery is not good for cold climates, the bluetooth does its own thing and the engine can mistime while idle, but it is worth the money for the workhorse it is.

Submitted: 2011-02-25 | ID: 40633

Ron Anderson, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 130l 1996

I had a mark 3 good bus, had it for 3 years, repair costs nil just basic servicing. I had a mark 4 good bus, had it for 3 years repair costs nil just basic servicing, very, very good plus one starter motor. I had a mark 5 good bus, had it for 5 years repair costs nil just basic servicing plus one battery, very, very good. I had a mark 6 bus, had it for 3 weeks biggest load of total c**p I have ever had! It overheated, rattled, rusted, wouldn’t start wouldn’t stop unless I stalled it, leaked all over, was always full of water, engine was the noisiest I have ever heard sounded like a tank! I apologise to a tank because the engine was worse than that, the police pulled me one night because the engine was so noisy! Ford said that is was natural for mk6 to be that noisy so I have swapped my mk6 piece of rust for another mk5 8 months ago and back to silence and no repair bills. Looking forward to driving this for the next 20 or so years. PS: I would never dream of buying another Ford from about the year 2000 onwards.

I’ve owned a Ford Transit 190lwb for just under seven years now. My mechanic says they’re the best and all the RAC say they are and with reading the reviews what everybody says about the new Transits. I would never get one of them. Smiley’s are the best. The banana engine is very easy to work on and any mechanic can fix one, piece of cake. The part’s are cheap and even though they rust like hell it’s well worth spending your money getting them through their MOTs and just hanging on to them because Ford actually got it right when they made these beasts and you have got a GENUINE, SOLID, RELIABLE workhorse. I couldn’t agree with you more Ron on these beasts - Michael Todd from Cheshire

Smiley Transit all the way. They’re the best van Ford ever made. I’ve had a mk6 and the new mk7, what a load of crap they were spent most the time in the garage so I’ve gone back and found myself a nice mk5 with 114thou on it so it’s barely run in for a smiley. I’m fitting all new arches having a full pro paint job and intend to do it all again if I have to, will probably outlast me! Keep those smileys trucking I say tell Boris and his crew to go and do one - Jon Green from England

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 40634

Greg Roots, Sussex

Ford Transit 300 125ps 2005

Never buy a Ford Transit, mine has spent more time in the garage than on the road. In three years it’s had: Three sets of injectors; four needed at Ł200 per injector each, turbo, head gasket, drive shaft, rear door wiring loom, window switches. In one year I spent roughly £3500 in costs just to keep it on the road and now the garage tell me it needs a new fuel pump £££! I WILL NEVER BUY A FORD TRANSIT AGAIN. I’ve been a loyal Ford owner for more than 15 years, NOT ANYMORE!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-13 | ID: 40637

Guy Rencher, Hampshire

Ford Transit 2.5 swb 2003

Had for 7 years and now done 210K. Got us two Kiwis through and around 14 countries over 8mnth period with only a new water pump replaced and one tyre and since then brakes, exhaust and rust underneath done once. Well done the Brits on an excellent van and top marks for reliability. If it wasn’t for the rust she’d be a keeper. Unfortunately don’t think it’s going to pass next MOT. Glad I chose this instead of a transporter :-)

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 40630

Rick, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 115 T260 trend 2010

Had a Fiat Ducato from new, by 40,000 miles it had been in the garage more times than I could even keep count, new e.c.u, 3 turbos, new catalyst, earthing probs, wipers sheared, headlight motors nackard, tickover problem that could not be solved, new alternator, cant even remember what else! So decided to get rid and get a new Transit and as we thought the Transit has lived up to its reputation! 23,000 miles on the clock now, only been in the garage for a service, no knocks, no rattles, still drives like brand new after 1 year. Only one problem they seem to have is the top brake light seems to go pretty quick, but nothing to moan about! Best van available, best looking, and drives like a luxury car! The trend model has too many extras to list,6 speed, cruise control, auto lights, auto wipers, heated screen, elec mirrors, e.s.p (good in snow) hill launch assist etc etc! I get 40mpg out of mine as its driven properly so cheap to run too! If you’re reading this debating wether to get one or not, I highly recommend you do.

Got a new transit. Today the central locking faulty, play in steering, head gasket leaking, the van is scrap. I will never buy Ford again, it’s only done 146 miles - from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 40631

Matt Chadwick, Lancashire

Ford Transit 280 SWB Semi High 2000

Best van I’ve ever owned! Reliable and a great work horse. Getting around 35 mpg too! Usual Ford rust problems, however, I do have a added extras. Air con, electric heated mirrors, electric windows and a window in the side door, plus there’s a back seat! Would definitely have another one. It’s got over 115000 miles on now.

Submitted: 2011-01-07 | ID: 40629

Ad Ramoth, France

Ford Transit 2.0l duratorq 2001

Currently with 145000 on. bought in pristine condition around 05 with 88k fsh. Clutch went at 100k rattling due to a fault on dual mass clutches, replaced with old style clutch, had to replace starter with it. OK since. broke down going to France, could only select 1st gear, stuck in Caen for 2 weeks. Ford couldnt explain what happened, just cost me 400 euro. Drove her to the south and happened again! Ford paid to fix under 3 month warranty. despite the problems I’d have another, still pulls really well, worst thing is RUST. There are worse vans on the road though.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-23 | ID: 40666

Gareth McKnight, County Down

Ford Transit 130 bhp 280 2007

I bought this van new in 2007 and have done 110,000 miles and it has never given me one bit of bother. It handles like a dream and is very good on fuel. Due to change next year, buying another transit.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-22 | ID: 40665

Daniel Esteve, Carmarthenshire

Ford Transit 2010

Amazing van, brilliant, reliable, never let me down in the 300 miles I have had it. .. Sorry but I have decided to crow before the thing falls apart!

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 40663

C Kennedy, Dumbartonshire

Ford Transit swb 85 t260 2004

Bought the van 4 years ago with 18,000 miles, it’s now got 80,000 miles on the clock with f.s.h. serviced every 15,000 miles, it never missed a beat even in the harshest of weather (had to help a sprinter driver out the snow,lol!) Apart from new tyres, front brake discs and pads and the rear shoes cleaned it’s not cost me much at all to keep on the road. I know someone that bought a Renault Master brand new and has got probs already! can’t fault the van at all, starts first time and everything works as it should.

Submitted: 2010-12-01 | ID: 40664

David Jones, Gwynedd

Ford Transit panel van 2006

What a load of SCRAP!!!!!!! 56 plate 260 lx 50k, light use, just had its 4th MOT been told it wont pass a 5th. Underneath has rusted so much it needs welding. Told Ford and guess what the 5 year warranty does not cover it as it’s rusting from the outside not from the inside out. Whatever you do don’t buy one of these, load of rubbish!

Submitted: 2010-11-12 | ID: 40667

Bill Moss, Derbyshire

Ford Transit 100 2004

Bought this van new at the end of 2004. Just sold it with only 25K on the clock, All I ever replaced was a pair of tyres and a battery. Apart from a few rust patches starting to show the van seemed as good as new after nearly six years. No rattles and nothing had fallen off. Never failed to start first touch. Always found Transits excellent. Just hope my new 115 Trend turns out as good.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-11-04 | ID: 40672

Declan Brouder, Ireland

Ford Transit T260 85BHP 2007

For the 4 months I had this van, it made 7 trips to the local Ford dealer. Van seemed to race in tick over, and then tick over so low you would think it would cut out. And then it would rev up again. On one occasion I pressed the brake pedal and nothing happend. I pressed it again and there was some response but the pedal kept bouncing up. After a terrifying slalom between a bus and a car, the Ford stopped. Local dealer said this was normal. So having no brakes was something I had to get used to? I then sold the heap to a dealer, and I feel sorry for him to have it. But this van nearly cost me my life, so I`m lucky. Avoid at all costs. You have been warned!!!!

Submitted: 2010-11-03 | ID: 40673

John Lawrence, Aberdeenshire

Ford Transit 110 300 mwb trend 2010

What a bit of kit!!! Had them all before; VW’s, Mercs, LDV’s, Ford, this is by far the best. Look forward to driving it every day. Even loaded with 2 pallets of carpet tiles it pulls great, set the cruise control and off you go.

Submitted: 2010-10-31 | ID: 40674

Peter Pops, London

Ford Transit LPG 2005

We have several LPG vans, which are great when they run right. At 60K the problems start Cat exhaust 1,700 but identical Iveco much cheaper. Sat nav says 129 mph before change and struggled at 80 with new exhaust. Constant missing and backfiring, especially on low revs, its a toss up if it starts off or backfires and stalls, Dual mass clutch again expensive and without warning U just lose any drive. Uses expensive platinum plugs and the 2 coil packs at 70 each constantly going causing missing. Gas runs hot and head gasket problems, and with timing chain and tensioner 700. If U run out of petrol you can’t start, Always hole in rubber from left heel, and drivers seats wear on outside. Feels every bump on rough road. 280 SWB nippy but 350 LWB no good on U turns. On average about 60 a week in repairs. Very quiet, comfortable, fast.

Submitted: 2010-10-31 | ID: 40675

Neil Hartup, Hampshire

Ford Transit 85bhp 2004

I purchased an ex BT swb Transit with 28000 miles on the clock. I know the manager of the depot so he picked out a well looked after van. I wax oiled the chassis and this has helped to keep the rust away. The van came with a water heater at the back which comes in handy for hot water but during the 3 years I have owned it, the pipes from the engine that heats the tank have rusted and allowed the antfreeze to leak! The engine has been excellent with only servicing required. Airfilter box likes to let in the rain so filter becomes knackered inside 6 months! Only problem so far after 50000 miles is the front rubber bushes on the suspension arms and one shock absorber rubbers rotted. Has been very reliable and trouble free so far but now need a bigger van. The best part of the van is the driving position, very comfortable and good dash layout. The only irritation is the clutch which judders as you pull away but if you give it more revs its OK! I have a Merc 212 camper and its better build quality but the Transit is nippier around town with very good turn circle. The BT van also come with the Eiberspacher cab heater which is very handy during cold days. Very happy with the Transit and will be sad to sell her!

Hi Neil, let me know when you want to sell - Tim Hall from Kent

Submitted: 2010-10-26 | ID: 40668

Mick Doherty, Australia

Ford Transit rwd swb low roof 1997

I have a 1997 vg transit with 2.0 litre dohc engine. I live 1 hr north of Melbourne, Victoria and I am the second owner. I’ve had the vehicle since 2000 had 80,000 kilometres when I bought it. This thing steers like its on rails, gets 530 -540 k’s a tank, when I fill it takes 56 - 60 litres has 65 litre capacity, only ever used mobil 1 oil. In its life it’s had after market clutch. Got rid of the original catylitic convertor; Ford ones had a resonance problem at 2200 rpm, and a complete timing chain set at 340,000 kilometres. Do all my own service as I live on a farm, has all the the general maintenance, plugs leads,tyres that’s about it. Now has 540,000 kilometres on the dial, still goes good, but needs timing chain shortly. Cheers.

I have been reading through all these postings as I was thinking of buying a 140 t330 swb rwd but seems you guys have alot of problems with the diesels, surely someone at Ford reads these items? - from Australia

Submitted: 2010-10-25 | ID: 40670

Sally, Gloucestershire

Ford Transit 2006

Would give this one zero rating if there was one, so far in 15 months: vacuum pump EGR valve Catalytic convertor exhaust mainfold gasket gearbox 2 x track rod ends engine f****d! Ford took 6 weeks to get part for gearbox and it was leaking oil when returned. Shall seriously look at other vans when renewing.

Hi, just read your report on the Tourneo bus and I can’t believe that there are so many problems with them. I bought mine about two months ago and I’m p*ssed off with already, had to have new EGR valve, had to go into Ford for a PC download is what they say. The engine light kept staying on and for a 2.2, I think it’s slow really. I’ve just bought a chip for it and that made a big diffrence. A workmate has got the 2008 model and has same problems. Why are they so sh*t? - Paul Vann from England

’07 transit 2.2 campervan had to have new dash clutch power steering pipe, now bottom pully broke it’s a load of trouble and it cost £58,000 new - Tony McElligott from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 40678

Simon, Derbyshire

Ford Transit 1999

The Mk5 version has got to have been one of the best transits made the banana engine what a classic not very fast but damm it’s a tough old nut. With odd tweek heard your can run them on cooking oil.(But please don’t attempt seek proffesional advice) How many Transits made today could you do that to? (None) Plus costs of repairing one these is through the roof complicated technology nightmare. If going to have a Transit have one before 2000, yes some might be looking dog rough rough but aslong as chassis rails are fine you’ve got a real brusier for a van. Good Points: Engine can withstand moderate abuse Cheap Parts You know you’ve got the best Transit model out there. Bad Points: Love to rust but keep on top and should be right as rain Not much power compared to today’s monster but less to go wrong than new. But with weight in they seem to run better to do with the gear ratio’s Can not seem to give them much bad points due to fact that they are a amazing feat of engineering. Don’t think we’ll ever see Transits made this way again a shame really just shows what the motoring industry is becoming like.

Interesting reading your report! I am looking at a campervan (Duetto) based on a 1999 Ford Transit with the 2.5L engine. Would this be a Mk5 as you described? Thanks - Jock Mc from Hampshire

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 40676

Jhon Smith, United States of America

Ford Transit 2008

The Transit handles like a nimble hatchback on busy city roads, and cruises effortlessly humming on an open motorway. The 5-speed transmission is perfectly matched to a smooth and powerful 2.2L common rail diesel engine. Fuel efficiency is brilliant (+800Kms on 75 Litres) I have never been more impressed with a commercial vehicle, and I believe it should be compared in favour with comfort and performance of a smaller passenger vehicle. I have had many commercial vehicles through the years at my work, and nothing has compared to the Transit.

Submitted: 2010-10-02 | ID: 40681

Kevin Ramparsad, England

Ford Transit t350 lwb recovery truck 2006

Probably the best van I have driven so far. Laden with a two tonne car on the back the transit still cruises at 90 and returns a good mpg compared to my last 2004 transit. Car like to drive, very responsive and nice interior. The only problem I’ve had is the truck lost revs a couple of times at the traffic lights but picked up again after turning the van off and restarting.

That’s your EGR valve or diesel pump playing up. Give it six months and you’ll be replacing one of them. That’s exactly what happened with my 2006 mk7 - Aaron Lee from Kent

Ermm... 2 tons on a 3.5 ton truck... wait till VOSA stop you hahaha - from Lancashire

Vosa can`t do anything if it`s got a tacho...towing weight of 350 140hp Transit is 2500kg – Iain from England - from

Submitted: 2010-09-12 | ID: 40658

Martin Gray, England

Ford Transit swb fwd 2002

Bought mine April 2009 for £2,700, 105,000 on clock, ex-water board van. I have covered nearly 20,000 with 1 new clutch did not replace DMF as recommended, but no problems as yet. Lots of long distance driving will get 530 miles to tank, 39 mpg average now converted to camper van, found it like a car to drive and hope to get many more miles yet. Reading some of reviews Ford seem an unhelpful lot, we will see.

Submitted: 2010-09-08 | ID: 40662

Barrie Jackson, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 280 2l tdci 2004

Only done 34000 from new superb economy. New battiery map senscor £176 inc computor check. High top camper van owned from new.

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 40656

Terry Mangan, Yorkshire

Ford Transit tourneo 1998

I bought my Tourneo in Feb ‘99 it had 60’ish thousand on the clock. I used it from day 1 as a taxi / minibus service and still using it today. Nearly 700000 on clock and its third engine (first got to 450000) and I can not tell you how happy I am with HER! Far as I can remember the only time she didn’t start was with a flat battery and the only time she stopped is when the engine had just about lost its compression. Engine £50 - £450 gearbox £10 - £150 clutch kit £60 - £100 how can anything on the market compete with it? This year was going to be its retirement year but a bit of welding and its good to go for another year! FORD please when you have a diamond at your fingertips don’t let it go! Start making new shells and you will sell more shells than new vans and I will be your first customer! (Painted would be nice.)  Just to finish, I drove a car for 2 weeks then got back into my Tourneo, I had the biggest smile on my face all day and that’s what driving is all about. Thanks for reading.

Submitted: 2010-07-20 | ID: 40657

Les Smith, Essex

Ford Transit Tipper 2001

I’ve had several older transits with no problem, the 2001 model, however, is a heap of s**t!

Submitted: 2010-07-06 | ID: 40600

Paul Varley, Yorkshire

Ford Transit Tourneo 1995

I bought my 1995 Tourneo 2.5 TDI in 1999 from a friend who was emigrating. It had 35000 miles on the clock and now has 180000 miles. In all the time I have had it it has never let me down. Apart from the usual expenses of tyre, battery etc it has cost me a new clutch, power steering pipe, and a tail end exhaust. I have never had it serviced at a garage but change the oil and filters twice a year What a vehicle. 30mpg no matter what I am doing. It is just a shame about the transit rust on the wheel arches. If only all vans were made like this one.

Submitted: 2010-06-10 | ID: 40599

Kay, Dorset

Ford Transit 280 swb 2001

My dad has just bought me a 280 swb 2001 model. Picked it up and drove it 95 miles on £20 and still left with diesel in the tank. Much better than my dad’s t350 lwb hightop 2000 model which guzzels diesel like there was a drought coming! The only thing is there is a slight wheel wobble on the front driver’s side, which is not much to fix, apart from that at £1800 t&t was not a bad deal!

Submitted: 2010-05-28 | ID: 40601

Steve Brown, New Zealand

Ford Transit 1997

All pre-2000 transits were totaly reliable, tough and easy to work on, that’s what made them such a succes. Now they have lost all of the above, doesn’t matter what you buy now, just another complicated wallet emptying modern vehicle. Just found nice older model, going to make it last as long as I can.

Just wanted to agree with you about new vans/cars all full of bits (particularly electronic) that go wrong and often make the vehicle uneconomic to repair. I’ve still got a 1993 Trafic van thats been going strong with only service items needing replacement - from Staffordshire

I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on these diesel vm transits and the all have the vp30 bosch pump diesel. A guy here in Campbellfield, Victoria completely rebuilds these (electronics and pump mechanicals) continually. He gets them in at around 40,000 kilometres shagged and reckons they are a lemon - does not like the engine either. It’s a pity because all other aspects bodywise are good. Once he does the pump it has no more problems but costs $2600. If he can fix the pump, why cant tight arse Ford do the same. Maybe they should be selling roast chickens instead of cars because they have not built any thing decent in Australia since the 1972 XA GT FALCON - Mick Doherty from Australia

Submitted: 2010-05-26 | ID: 40602

Jason Whittle, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 2009

I’ve got 09 plate Transit and having problems with the booster hose pipe. First the front pipe came off (blew off) and then 3 days later the back pipe blew off; it’s held on by one jubilee clip that’s on solid but with the power that’s going through it, it keeps blowing off. Two other things about it are it’s noisey and c**p on fuel.

Having a similar problem on 2010 plate (has done 1000 miles), how did you get the problem fixed, because I can’t seem to find anyone at Ford who knows what I am talking about? - Malc Flanagan from Yorkshire

I just had the same proble, AA guy said if it comes off once it could just be a lose clip if mor than once the turbo is pumping out to much pressure so it blows the hose off. Just sent it in to be sorted under warranty - from England

Submitted: 2010-05-19 | ID: 40605

Ian Picot, Gwynedd

Ford Transit 2006

After only 38k miles the van is now in the garage and needs a new engine as well as a clutch. The van is only 4 years old, bought from new with only one driver. It has had regular servicing so I can’t believe it has failed in this way so quickly. The cost to put right will be about £4.5k. The van was £23k new!!!! I always assumed diesel vans should last for over 100k in terms of mileage!<br /><br />

Hi. I have currently same problem. Tensioners prematurely worn causing total engine failure, new engine required. EH does not want to know and Ford takes no responsibility. Will have to go down the claim route to recover in excess of 6 grand plus out of pocket expenses totalling £2000 (Hire van) I have been advised by solicitor to obtain as many similar cases as posible as he believes Ford knew about the problem and has done nothing to advise - John Szponarski from Lancashire

I had a 55 plate lwb transit, 135, had second engine at 20000 miles, now on a third engine at 88000 miles. It seems we are going backwards as old transit hardly had a spanner on it - Peter A from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2010-04-28 | ID: 40611

J Jack, Renfrewshire

Ford Transit 2.0 turbo 2002

Van was always ok but have had starter motor problems since the day I bought the van 3 now going on 4, even changing clutch and flywheel. Just hitting the 100k mark now and everything seems to be giving up ie. water heater, exhaust etc. I just don’t think Transits are as good as they used to be, having only bought them, now considering going to another make. Value for money and fuel consumption has never been great but I suppose it’s bought and paid for itself, except for faulty starter motors but avoid transits from 00 - 03

Transits made after the smiley are a load of rubbish everything is sensors, one after another it starts to fail costing a fortune. I am selling my c**p 2001 Transit and buying a smiley van, easy to work on and no sensors all over the place. Ford need to get their act together and stop selling c**p - Randy Roberts from England

Submitted: 2010-04-26 | ID: 40609

Ian Houghton, Worcestershire

Ford Transit SWB Medium Roof 2006

We have three 56 plate transits. Would not recommend buying if you plan to run for commercial van as they are not up to the task. After replacing vast amounts of EGR valves we have now replaced engines in all three vans. All were fully serviced and when engines went all fluid levels were good. Planned to run the vans for 5 yrs but will not get this and have paid out the same in engine replacements as the amount that one van costs. Ford no help at all once out of mileage. Also do not cover within mileage warranty if you are out on servicing bearing in mind that if you do around 500 - 700 miles a week a main dealer might not be able to service for a week which puts you this amount out on the service due date so best to book service in advance of actual due date. May be o.k for low mileage running but expensive to do any sort or mileage. Also most parts end up on back order so vans tend to sit at garages for a while. In particular EGR valves but these are replaced so often its no wonder they are hard to get!!!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-22 | ID: 40608

Redford McMannus, Hertfordshire

Ford Transit Transit Hallmark 1995

Used to have a Mk 5 Transit Hallmark, before it was stolen and wrecked by some lowlife. Had to use the car for a while which made me realise how essential and enjoyable a vehicle it was. The Transit never left me wanting, in any situation and the Hallmark was a great model too. It broke my heart to lose it but I managed to get myself another, almost identical, from the same place I got my first Transit (www.gates.co.uk). I prefer to drive the van over the car any day - cannot imagine life without it.

Submitted: 2010-03-26 | ID: 40617

Danny, Lancashire

Ford Transit 2002

The Ford Transit is one of the best vans on the road, best engines too. Vauxhalls and Renaults etc., have common problems with the engines and always seem to let out smoke. Transits have the American muscle and they are really reliable. Also, parts are cheap unlike all other vans. My advice? Buy the Transit.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-25 | ID: 40618

Steven Hargreaves, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 100 2007

If I had been writing this during February I would have given it a 5 star rating but after 3 years and 22 days and 69000 miles my gearbox is shot. "Tough luck!" I hear you say, "if it had gone last month you would have been covered under warranty" OH NO! THAT WAS FORD SAYING THAT!

Ford Transit 110 T280M purchased new March 2007. In June 2010 with 31,000 miles on clock and warranty just expired - gear box ’dropped’ - £1400 to replace! FORD NOT INTERESTED because I didn’t go to a Ford dealership to fit the new gear box! It was the old one that was the problem! It’s now December and I am still chasing them! - James Smith from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 2010-03-24 | ID: 40615

Pete Sellars, Lincolnshire

Ford Transit lwb 2000

Over one hundred thousand miles, good on fuel, drives well. The only problem I have had was a tickover problem that was soon sorted. It doesn’t hold resale value but then what does?

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 40614

John Knights, Suffolk

Ford Transit swb 260 tdi 2001

I have had several transits since 1972 and this one is complicated when something goes wrong as I used to do all my own maintainance. Although this van has now done 86,000 of which I have done 11,000 it gave me a bit of trouble the other day and two computers have diagnosed different problems which I am hoping is now ok,The engine cut out after several attempts with a horrible rattling sound just after leaving home and the engine still a bit cold with it in second gear. RAC came up with crankshaft sensor prob and fuel pump. Ford garage came up with chain tensioner problem but advised me to have oil change and flush with a higher grade oil. Failing that if it plays up again its £500 for tensioner but they are not sure! At the moment it’s running well and is comfortable to drive without any other problems. I like Fords as normally spares are cheap to find, apart from this one!

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 40619

Daniel Caulfield, England

Ford Transit swb 2008

Despite some of the horror stories you would be unlucky to buy a seriosly unreliable trany. The latest model I drove for about 1000 miles wasn’t too bad, maybe a bit more van like to drive than some rivals but the new interior has a much better feel to it particuly the dash mount gear shift. One of the party pieces of the swb Transit is its ability to swallow whole 8 by 4 sheets of wood, so more of a builders van. If you’re after one steer clear of the entry level 85bhp, this unit is designed purely for economy and can get a bit tiresome, almost waiting to shift up a gear. Generaly a good van but seeing a Transit drive past only makes you think one thing, ’scrap metal collection’. Why not dig a grand deeper and get a Mercedes-Benz Vito parked on your drive?

What a load of rubbish. Overpriced, problematic, expensive. And that fuel injectors are a nightmare to fit, as I know to my cost. If only my wallet could talk. NO MORE VITO’S FOR ME - Jeff Bailey from Cheshire

Cause its smaller, rustier and even less reliable (if you thought that was possible!) - from England

Submitted: 2010-02-26 | ID: 40620

Dean, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 2001

Having had only second hand Ford Transit vans previously, in 2001 I decided to push the boat out and treat myself to a brand new 100ps swb medium roof van. I cherished, waxed and looked after this motor like it was a car and from the moment I drove it have only ever had enjoyment from it. 153000 miles later and still on the original clutch, exhaust, battery and with only having very little trouble decided to sell and bought a 2008 58 plate with 11000 miles on the clock. I can honestly say that my 2001 was always excellent to drive even up untill I sold it only 3 weeks ago was a joy to drive, however after initially being impressed with the 2008 I have to say feels much noisier in the cab and the engine seems to emitt horrible grinding noises when under load and climbing hills. After a drive out to mid wales for the day I was glad to get out the van as my head was pounding from the in cab row. Hope I get used to this van because so far its quite a dissapointment.

Submitted: 2010-02-15 | ID: 40626

Paul, Yorkshire

Ford Transit 2005

What can I say? Sold my good old 2000 v reg smiley Transit and bought a new shape 2005 05 plate one, reading all the reviews on the new shape ones mine is still going strong at 189,000 miles and still only just over 4 years old.

Submitted: 2010-02-15 | ID: 40625

Adem Cornish, England

Ford Transit Di non turbo 1994

An ebay bargain at £400 with a full years mot and I have had it for nearly a year now.It already had 160,000 on the clock and I have added another 20 and its still going!!Just!!Ok so no turbo or power steering but the reliability has more than made up for this. Also, good to run on neat veg oil with a diesel mix in winter smoother running more mpg. Overall very pleased, I would buy another 100% but next time with turbo and power steering.

Submitted: 2010-02-14 | ID: 40627

Keith Wardrop, Lanarkshire

Ford Transit sportsvan 130bhp 2007

I’ve had ’Sportacus’, as I call her from new, I’ve had a shed load of problems with her, and went to Brentwood HQ with other members of the Ford Transit Forum, 9 in total, the main problem being tyre wear. Ford in their wisdom listened to all of our complaints and gave us all a new set of michelin primacy tyres, as well as sorting out all the other issues we had with the sportsvans. I’ve had mine over 2 years now and even with the problems I’ve had with her I’d still have another. The dealer I go to now is Evans Halshaw in Provan Rd, Glasgow, they have been a credit to the Ford name and I’ve been more than happy with the service I have received. All in all, I bought a van costing over 20k and although I’ve had problems with her, they have all been rectified thanks to Evans at Glasgow, and due to this I would definitely buy another sportsvan, as long as it was from them.

I am the dealer principal at the Provan Road dealership for Evans Halshaw and am delighted to read your report. It is great to be able to feed it back to the team. Thanks again - Jim Hall from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 40623

Harry, Ireland

Ford Transit T350 2001

Simply the best vans on the market!

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 40628

David Seamans, Lancashire

Ford Transit 300 2003

I’ve owned this ex-BT van for the past 12 months. It’s generally a good work horse, apart from the dreaded fuel pump, 73k on clock, maybe just unlucky. It pays to shop about though as originally quoted £2000+ ended up paying £1300. Fingers crossed, so far so good.

Submitted: 2010-01-22 | ID: 40592

Graham Frow, Yorkshire

Ford Transit Motorhome 2008

Bought my new motorhome Transit in May 08, now with 8650 mls. Not many problems, took it to my local Ford dealers for spongy brakes and last Nov had an update on the computer as tick-over a bit rough. P.S. still got spongy brakes..

Hi Graham, What’s your opinion on the motorhome part of the vehicle- does it have all the stuff to live in comfort? Planning to get one in a few months & like the look of the high roof transit, nice cab & good fitout plus double rear doors a handy set up. Diesel is preferred yet some comments rate the fuel pump poor & expensive, Regards Jim domlanic@hotmail.com - Jim Gregory from Australia

I have a 2008 Ford Transit motorhome and have the same problem, spongy brakes. Checked twice by Ford agents who say no problem, but I am not happy having to pump the brakes. Our friends also have a Ford Transit 2009 motorhome with the same problem. Ford have rectified the problem once but it has now reoccured, they are returning the vehicle to Ford agents on Monday 11th Nov. for further investigation - Ken Skidmore from Worcestershire

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 40596

James O Mahoney, London

Ford Transit 2000

I know someone who had bought a white x reg ford transit mk4 and I have been in so many and I think they are the best vans ever! Reliable and fast for it’s age and a wicked work horse man. It is a bit rusty but that doesn’t effect anything and will run till they die. I have rarely known a transit to break down man. The old ones are better then any new transit sport van or transporter sportline or iveco, I’m not saying they’re bad vans but the mk4 transit can do about 100 mph and will always get you to where you wanna go man. Old mostly and new transits are the best.

Cool man!!! - from England

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 40594

I Macdonald, Scotland

Ford Transit SWB RWD Ex BT 75 PS 2001

As usual with vehicles these days the engine will go on forever, its the stuff round about that breaks. All my probs have been well known and predicatable for its age. Its an ex BT so has been pretty well maintained so far. They don’t drive them fast either but they are loaded lot. Big fixes have been a belt pulley collapse and susequent steering pump and steering rack replacement. This was done at a main dealer and I am suspicious about the rack and pump replacement. It was an emergency, need it now fix so I took the hit. Other repairs have been consumables like pads and wear items like bushings and hubs. It has eaten batteries and needs one in good condition for cold weather. You can easily fit two. Suspension now looks like the next big repair item. it has done 85000 miles. BT flog them at about 74000.

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 40593

James Palmer, Wiltshire

Ford Transit 260 swb 2003

Well, I bought this van 3 1/2 years ago on 54k, tidy and well maintained. I have it serviced every 10k, and yet it lets me down. 1 new gear box and clutch at 68k, 3 drive shafts, 2 engine mounts, 1 strut, 1 power steering pump, 1 water pump, 2 new key fobs. It’s now done 106k and the injectors need changing as they are leaking, also its rusting terribly even though I have it wax oiled and keep it clean and tidy. 75bhp is fantastic on fuel, loaded up with kit on a long run I can squeeze out 39mpg but short runs average 32 mpg.

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 40589

Alistair Ewan, Nottinghamshire

Ford Transit 220 swb 2006

I bought this van second hand from a Ford dealer with 45000 0n clock, traded in my Peugeot Expert van. I love it, fast, reliable, as a bathroom fitter it gets some hammer but take it all in its stride. All it’s had is front tyres, exhast, and a front wheel bearing, oh and central locking moter went on passenger door. Best van I’ve had and I have had a few. Stylish, comfortable, fast, reliable, cheap to service, it’s more like driving a car than a van. I will certainly have another but I think it will be a long wheelbase model.

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 40588

Rob Scott, Hertfordshire

Ford Transit 2005

Please don’t buy a Ford Transit unless your pockets are full and deep. If you stand by Ford with initial servicing etc., when major faults occur they will deem warrantys are invalid through red tape. I see from here people have waived their time for support so maybe it’s just a lottery that we recieved this dog. Ford were very helpful when I suggest selling and buying a new one from them. They suggested I buy a new one and up my APR from 5% to 18% and up my monthly payment from £289 a month to £479 and over a extra year. Silly me, it was when i got home and looked in the mirror that I had the letters T**C on me forehead. DO NOT TOUCH YOU HAVE ABOUT A 20% Chance of a real costly nightmare. I don’t use ford anymore but still have the van, it causes fits of histeria when i turn up to the local garage, all the guys there I know on first name terms. Thanks Ford.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 40587

Dale Rostron, England

Ford Transit 2.4 td 2001

I have always had a Transit, they have been the best. My first was in 1986 and I have had a total of six up to my present 2001 a 2.4 td. I have had it for four years, the horrible bosch diesel pump was the first thing to go on it; &pound1200 or &pound662 for a recon unit and that’s with out fitting. The garage bill is &pound400 but any one with a transit of this model will be faced with this bill. Ford should have never got the germans to build this pump. I will be looking at other makes of van, it’s a very sad day for all Transit lovers. P.S. Bring back the di engine.

Submitted: 2009-12-21 | ID: 40590

A, Renfrewshire

Ford Transit 260 2004

Mine has only a few spots of rust, leaking rear roof and passenger side head lamps constantly need replacing but apart from that a cracking van that drives well, is comfy and heats up quick. I drove one of my companys old "smiley" transits the other week I went over a speedbump and the rear o/s bumper fell off. I got onto a duel carrigeway and lost all power, it then started spewing thick black smoke and there was oil all over the place. It was fixed by fleet support. The vehicle’s oil filter screw worn housing and had to be replaced. It rattles, squeaks, backfires, runs like chitty chitty bang bang and the seats have no spring or fabric, only W reg too! It also has rust all over the place, the rear doors are crumbling and whistle when driving on the duel carrigeway, it shudders when reversing and the road noise at 30 is unbearable. The is engine far more noisy than my 04 plate, the radio is not loud enough (when it works), the passenger window jammed 3/4 of the way up, the faults just go on and on. But there is just something about the old girl that wants to work. I would never have my own smiley because I prefer my mk6 04 plate; compared to the old transits that I’ve experienced and the LDVs and some of the sprinters too, the mk 6 is the best van I’ve ever laid hands on, even better than the new 08 plate mk7s my company has recently aquired.

Submitted: 2009-12-16 | ID: 40591

Karl Tiroke, Hampshire

Ford Transit 2004

Buyers Beware. We bought a Transit from new from a Ford main dealer, a silver, short wheel base, mid roof transit. From the off, this vehicle belched out smoke, developed extensive rusting and had fuel problems. Ford did not find any fault with the excessive smoke problem nor could they find the true fuel fault. The vehicle came with a 5 year paint corrosion warantee but the small print in the contrat states, you have to request they inspect for corrosion at service intervals, and as a subsequence our vehicle was not covered. However the rust was put down to stone chips. Total cr*p. It has put us off buying a new Ford van.

Hi, I’ve a works Ford Transit T280 .It’s done just over 22000 miles, the fuel has dropped by 44 miles a tank acording to the computer. I’ve got a car jack under the passenger seat as its the only way to stop a terible rattle, the roof lining ,dash air vent and plastic stip under windscreen wipers rattle to the point I’ve got to turn the volume up to hide the noise . Plus, even though the engine still pulls well it sounds like it will fall out at anytime. The Vivaro I had for 5 years before much beter all round - from England

Submitted: 2009-12-03 | ID: 40585

Keith, County Tyrone

Ford Transit t260 75hp swb lr 2003

A good enough van there’s not great power in this model, however, when you get the speed built up its grand and easy on diesel. Mine is starting to rust in spots and I try to keep it clean. It’s got 114,000mls now, having had it a year and I’ve had to replace a wheel bearing, fan belt and tensioner, brake shoes and handbrake cable so not too bad. I’m thinking of buying a 2008 or 2009 t280 mwb 115hp next.

Submitted: 2009-11-18 | ID: 40584

Gary Gower, Bedfordshire

Ford Transit T350 140 GLX (lwb, rwd, hr) 2007

Ordered in April 2007. Delivered in November 2007 !! OK, so it was to my own spec but 7 MONTHS?? Anyway, I got a good discount from my local dealership so I spent it on a GLX model, plus some other extras. I work as a multi-drop driver; possibly the toughest road test for any van and I wanted lots of toys. Currently covered 73k in 22 months of stop/start urban driving mainly over speed humps! Serviced every 15k and maintained regardless as I need 100% reliability. It came with air con, electric windows/mirrors, heated screen/mirrors. multi CD player, cruise control, heated drivers seat (mmm!), auto headlights, rain sensing wipers, slam locks, configurable locking, ply boarding, to name but a few. Apparently my van was built in Turkey, where, it seems, they haven’t discovered Quality Control. On delivery, apart from the poor PDI that the dealer charged 90 quid for, it had a faulty EGR valve, rasping turbo wastegate, intermittent engine management warnings, faulty heated front screen, faulty rear door lock, poor fitting side loading door, poor interior trim fit, crunchy 1st-2nd gearchange and it steered to the left. Stupidly, I believed that showing some loyalty to the dealership that gave me the decent discount would mean a decent experience in the service department. It didn’t. And they were pitiful; if it wasn’t broken then they couldn’t be arsed to investigate it. Waste of time. Without going through the entire maintenance schedule, I’ve had the following parts replaced in addition to the regular service items. Turbo and wastegate (cured rasp/hesitation) 2 EGR valves, (what DO they do??!) Fuel pump pressure regulator (cured poor starting/idling/stalling) Starter motor (shagged!) Vacuum pump (leaking) Radiator (leaking) Sump seal (leaking) Steering rack (recall?) Steering column (fell apart) Rear axle (diff fault) Ignition lock (fell apart) Radio/CD player (cd’s jamming) Driver’s seat base (internal foam fell apart) Rear door lock (jammed internally) Front screen (hit by rock). Amazingly, I haven’t needed a clutch/flywheel assembly (common on the previous model) and while this may all sound like a bit of a horror story, I would point out that none of these things actually left me sitting by the side of the road. All of the above were sorted under Warranty after having found myself a decent Ford service department (they do exist!) in Evans Halshaw in St Albans. They get it right first time about 70-80% of the time, but undoubtedly the most important ’service’ they offer me is a courtesy van. If only all Ford dealers knew the value of such a benefit it would surely cut their customer complaints massively?? There are a few extras I wouldn’t bother with again. Slam locking and configurable locking spring to mind. Slam locking allows you to press the ’lock’ button on your fob with the door open so that when you close the door it self-locks. Great idea for delivery drivers as you can open door, ’lock’ door while it’s open, grab parcel, nudge the door shut with your bum, door locks (I wear my keys on a chain so I’d never lock them in). However, Ford also have a system where if you haven’t shut a door properly and try and lock the van, it warns you of this by tooting the horn. Suffice to say, when using the slam lock function it still toots the horn to annoy/attract the attention of those around you. Nice try, Ford, but no cigar. Similarly, with configurable locking you can unlock the rear door or drivers door or SLD independently, so while you’re in the back, no-one is climbing in the front. Nice idea. However, if you’re in the cab and get out, both the driver and passenger doors automatically unlock. So to keep the front secure while you’re in the back you need to relock the van and then unlock the back door. A bit pointless? Worthwhile extras? Cruise control? Definitely. Apart from the inevitable mobile speed cameras/ average speed cameras that you can avoid getting caught in, it also saves fuel in a job that hammers consumption. Heated drivers seat (lol)? If you have a bad back and it’s sub zero at 4am, it’s a must. Pity it’s only on a 5 minute timer! Heated front screen? No more scraping at 4am either. Overall, I think it’s a great van let down by poor QC at the factory, poor dealer support (but there are good ones) and indifferent Customer Support (unless you make a fuss). It’s comfortable, fast enough, economy is reasonable and it can cope with the punishment my work dishes out without leaving me stranded. STILL the best van on the road.

What you should try is some BP diesel ultimate, after one tank full you will notice the difference, after then it just gets better. I know its a little dearer but if you shop around its only 3/4p more and well worth it. My 140 now does 29mpg fully loaded and aircon on and I don’t hang about. The flat spots have almost gone and the James Bond smoke effect has gone for good. If they made a spray for crunchy 1st to 2nd I would use that too. cheers! - Pete Dumelow from Nottinghamshire

You miserable git, try an LDV for a day and you’ll realise that Transits are the kiddy . MY 2009 ST is faultless and I love it - from England

I think LDV tyres will last longer than yours will, so now who is a miserable git! (stripes are so "last year") - Pete Dumelow from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2009-11-15 | ID: 40574

Philip Wyatt, Somerset

Ford Transit 280 MWB 2006

Bought from new, now done 56,000 miles, mostly motorway miles. No major problems to report apart from 2 x new windscreen wipers,, ECU fault causing it to hunt when at idle. Fixed with a software upgrade! The engine sounds a bit noisy when starting from cold (they are like that sir!) but soon settles down. Servicing has always been reasonable. Still on original tyres and brake pads which is pretty good. Oh yes, a new back door catch was fitted under warranty. Good metallic grey paint and loads of room in front with the small gear knob which means you can now lie down in the front! Overall a very good workhorse which I can recommend.. 8/10.

I have the same problem mate. Just had the ECG replaced and still doing the same thing. Did the software update sort it out? - from England

Hi there, I have the same problem with 08 Transit hunting or surging on idle after having EGR replaced, so not able to help on this one. - Murray Mark from New Zealand

Submitted: 2009-10-26 | ID: 40578

David Doherty, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 2004

I’ve driven this van from 2004. I can’t complain. I get roughly get 520 miles for a fill of the tank which would normally cost 80 euros to fill. I get the van serviced every 15,000 miles from new. I have also not driven it into the ground when I go to and from work.

My bus does 440 on full tank at a cost of 80 pound to fill up the tank and it’s a 2.liter diesel is that about right do you think? - Rob Roberts from England

Submitted: 2009-10-13 | ID: 40581

Philip White, England

Ford Transit t280 2003

I bought a new Transit so that for once I would have a van that I could rely on. Two years later I had rust spots on the cills which Verwood Ford repaired on warranty. Second MOT failed on a large hole in the repaired cill. Ford claim it is not their fault and refuse to repair. The van has been great but beware the Ford warranty which you pay for is not worth the paper it is written on. I have found rust spots coming through in several places all over the van. The vehicle is well looked after and has only done 51,000 miles. I would never buy a Ford again, they are not worth the money and I will be looking elsewhere for my next vehicle.

Submitted: 2009-10-08 | ID: 40583

David Welford, Cambridgeshire

Ford Transit T260 SWB 2007

I recently purchased my second Ford Transit. A couple of weeks after buying it I noticed a leak coming from the roof seam at the back of the van. I recognised the fault immediatley as the Transit I had before this had exaclty the same fault. When the seam was checked it was clear that it was manufacturing fault as there was a gap in the sealant applied to the seam. But when I took it to Ford’s, they used the fact that the previous owner who sold it to the garage had not got the body and paint work check carried out in the service book, rendering the waranty invalid. The fact that it is a manufacturing fault has not been denied by Ford, but because the paperwork was incompleted, I am left with a second van with the same fault. Have I just been unlucky in buying two consecutive Transits with this fault or is this a wider probelm with the Transit (T260 SWB)?

I have just bought a van with the same problem. How do you fix this? - Rob Lewis from England

Submitted: 2009-09-16 | ID: 40572

Mark, Suffolk

Ford Transit 90T350 2003

Lovely van to drive, even after 150,000 miles. Very comfortable. Problems are that it eats clutches and starters (from what I’ve heard a common problem) and back lights have earthing issues.

I had a 90 350 transit 2003 a very good van apart from the clutch and starter motor problem, transits have a clutch called a dual mass which causes dust to accumilate in the starter motor causing the starter to jam and short out,you can cure this problem by converting to a solid clutch flywheel which costs about £170 off ebay and fitting costs various but around £475. Your problem will be solved, I know as I had the same problem. It really is worth doing, no more dust in starter motor etc. Hope this helps - Royston Bennett from Essex

Nice advice about the clutch convertion kit, my mechanic recommends the same advice, will be doing the same when mine goes - from Dorset

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 40569

Peter Purfect, County Londonderry

Ford Transit 100 lwb 2000

Best van on road. Mine has done 200000 and still does 105 miles a hour and 30mpg. A good van all around. Top of the morning to you!

Submitted: 2009-07-02 | ID: 40779

Wayne Youngman, Essex

Ford Transit T 330 swb 2007

I got the van when it was six months old, an ex-demo with some extras on it. Can’t find any faults, best van I’ve ever had. It is good on fuel as I get about 35 miles to the gallon; and I’ve got a heavy foot. It has never let me down and is always serviced on time - only got 52,000 on it. I have only had to put a new fan on it as the bearing went and had to buy whole kit for £160. I was going to buy the new mrk 7 but the works one is heap of s...t - only one year old and on second engine and gear box. Come on Ford - pull it together. I will keep my van.

Submitted: 2009-06-02 | ID: 40780

Dan, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 350 LWB 2006

Within a week of collecting my van it was back in the garage with engine warning light on, after 3 visits and having no van for almost a month it appeared to be sorted. A few months later the clutch went and was taken back. It was also taken back twice again for product recalls, one serious as a van had blown up due to wiring not been protected properly. For a few months the van was fantastic, but this was the calm before the storm. In March the van was parked up at 5pm. At 10.25 3 explosions were heard, the van was in flames! The fire brigade pointed out it was an electrical fault along with the insurance underwriter as the van was a complete write off. As I write this almost 3 months later Ford do not want to know and I have no vehicle. I have had many heated arguments with Ford customer services who assured me that they are in contact with my insurance company as van is still under warranty, but according to my insurance they have never been contacted by Ford. When the insurance decide to settle I doubt I will be able to buy another van of the same value, so after 2 1/2 years of paying off a 23k van I will probable have enough left to buy a 3k van. WHERE IS THE JUSTICE IN THAT?

Hi Dan, I was just wondering what was the outcome was? - from England

Submitted: 2009-05-21 | ID: 40781

Peter Miles, London

Ford Transit SWB 70PS 1996

Over 240,000 reliable town and country miles! Still going strong on original mechanicals except one clutch and one set of injectors! Wheel arches are showing signs of rust (bummer). Never mind, should have undersealed them when new. Forget all your super fast engines, they all go at the same speed in traffic!

That’s so true man. Ford Transit mk4 simply one of the best! - James O’Mahoney from London

Submitted: 2009-05-07 | ID: 40783

Martin McGuinness, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Transit 260 SW 2009

I have only had this vehicle for 6 weeks and I can’t believe how unrefined it is compared to my previous vehicle: a Vivaro. It’s noisy, slow and terrible on fuel. I used to drive quite hard and got approx 38-42 mpg; I now don’t go over 70 and am lucky to get 32-35 mpg if I try and stick to 50-60. Ford need to look at their competitors and learn that this van needs another gear to bring the revs down on a long run.

Submitted: 2009-05-05 | ID: 40765

Louis Jones, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 2.4 2006

Shocking van. Under powered, had to have a new engine, clutch, gearbox rebuilt, back doors packed up, roof leaks. A pile of crap - stay away. Buy a Mercedes. Ford customer service is a joke.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 40763

Iain, Essex

Ford Transit T350 2008

Excellent van, had 6 of them now and only had 1 major problem on one of them (flywheel) and one EGR valve on another. The interior on the new model is excellent and very comfortable. I can get 450 miles on a tank includes city & motorway driving. Central locking key can fail sometimes but is an easy self fix. Wouldn’t buy anything else except maybe a sprinter. Had an LDV for 3 weeks... rubbish!

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 40762

Scott Buckley, Lancashire

Ford Transit 115 350 2007

Bought the van new, LWB semi high with tow bar fitted at dealer, looks good and drives good but that is where the fairy tale ends. Since then nothing but problems such as the valve has gone twice, new heated front screen door, lock handles come off in your hand, had to have a new remote key, it just packed up, been in body shop to repair rust, now the transmission isn’t working currently, possibility of clutch faliure, only done 18000 miles !!!!!!! It is in dealer’s, hoping to be repaired under warranty, they wont supply hire van until fault diagnosed. I can’t look at van for 5 days, load of c***, had the van 2 years been in dealers 4 weeks out of that time. Costing me a fortune in lost time and revenue, buy a Merc.

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 40764

Andy Walker, England

Ford Transit 90 2006

The Transit 90 is a gutless thing with a sad excuse for an engine. I say an engine, because sometimes I think it is an elastic band underneath the bonnet. Had no end of troubles with its stupid glow plug light coming on and cutting down my engine speed which is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS when overtaking something like a truck. Then you pull in, turn the engine off and it resets itself. Then, 3 hours later, it does the same again. Avoid like the plague. Terrible van.

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 40759

David Callister, Lancashire

Ford Transit lwb semi hi roof 2008

Best van I’ve ever bought. I got it last September with only 95000 on the clock!! Bodywork was a bit rusty but all sorted now, just waiting to get it resprayed excellent drive.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 40761

John Thomas, Oxfordshire

Ford Transit 280 swb 2009

Bad news... so far clutch gone, ecu brakes bind, roof leaks, winds in 3rd, back wheel bearings gone. Apart from that a bloody good van!

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 40760

Erjon Metohu, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 85 280t 2006

The best van I have ever owned, I cannot fault it.

Submitted: 2009-03-02 | ID: 40770

Ger Doyle, Northern Ireland

Ford Transit 90 t350 lwb 2008

Possibly the worst piece of c**p I ever bought, power steering pump replaced twice and still leaking, alternator, vacuum pump, pullies all over the place, front wheel bearings, dash board clocks the lot of them, clutch, flywheel, starter motor, intercooler unit, turbo unit, wishbones both of them, fuel tank sensor unit, fan blade twice, keep changing brake lights - wasting my time, back door lock, 3 windscreens - finally found out 3rd time; factory fault on bodywork where glass goes in. I could keep this up but won’t because I’m getting annoyed. If you know anybody considering buying a Ford... shoot them!

Submitted: 2009-02-23 | ID: 40771

Brian Harrison, Shropshire

Ford Transit 2000

You are not alone! Heavy loss of power, one third lower fuel consumption and of course smoke!

Submitted: 2009-02-16 | ID: 40769

Neil, Somerset

Ford Transit 260 SWB 100ps 2001

I bought my van from auction 3 years ago for £3,200 including VAT with 91,000 on the clock with a full service history. It now has 122,000 on the clock and is still driving brilliantly; starts every time. The only problems are standard every day things (starter motor, glow plugs and battery, that’s it!). I service it every year also I have started looking into getting a new Transit and have been offered a £1500 trade from a main Ford dealer! I would say that is very good value as it has seen me through my first 3 years of business with a cost of about £2000 including depreciation! Buy one do not buy any other French rubbish!

Submitted: 2009-02-06 | ID: 40766

Chris Davies, Warwickshire

Ford Transit 280 100hp execair 2005

Had the van a year; had the AA out 5 times - says it all really. Clutch, starter motor, battery; Ford customer service is terrible, once bought they are not interested. Just out of interest the van is going in on Thurs 5th Feb 09 for a new heater switch, it came of in my hand. Buy a Sprinter if you want a good van.

Submitted: 2009-02-04 | ID: 40767

Peter Fogwill, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Ford Transit 2000

I bought a Transit with 100,000 miles on the clock, and a week after the fuel pump went at the cost of £1200. 18 months later and less than 10,000 miles, same thing happened again. Seemingly the pump has a guarantee period of 12 months. The pump was fitted at one of Fords main dealers but they were not interested. I phoned Ford customer service, and the same thing, not interested. The funny thing is they would have done something about it had the van been younger than 8 years old, but since it wasn’t tough luck for me. No wonder the country is in such a state when small business owners are treated in such a way. I wouldn’t take another Transit even if it was free. £2400 in 18months with the same fault, is more than my business can handle.

Submitted: 2009-02-03 | ID: 40768

Craig, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 280 2002

Well, apart from the new clutch, fly wheel, starter, rust all over the place, door locks droping off and now an electrical problem amonst other things. Don’t all vans have problems?

Submitted: 2009-02-02 | ID: 40775

Mike Watson, Cornwall

Ford Transit 330 2008

After having used an 02 T350 model for 6 years I was looking forward to getting my 08 T330. But it seems that Ford have shoehorned a Focus dash into the transit can which just doesn’t seem to work for me. The steering wheel appears smaller than the older model, and with a 4 tonne laden wagon, that small wheel feels just wrong. My old van, when I turned the engine over, used to growl and snarl at me as if to say "COME ONE! LET’S GET TO WORK!" This new one just seems to whine at me "Ooh, do you mind awfully if we take it easy this morning?" I used to put my foot to the floor in the old girl and she would say "Oh? Want some more do you? ’ave it!" This one? "Uh? What? Oh heavens no." Nothing, and I mean nothing happens. No comforting lunge forward, no pitch change and no growl. You can’t though fault it as still the best work horse on the road. The load area and access is second to none and I would always recommend one to any tradesman, but the square shaped interior and weak engine just take the edge of what would otherwise be another winner. Come on Ford. Why did you change the engine?

I couldn’t agree more. I have the 140 engine that stalls, smokes and has nerve racking flat spots and... the dealer just told me that it is my driving style that is causing the problem! The trouble is I like everything else about the van - Pete Dumelow from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2009-02-02 | ID: 40773

Keith, England

Ford Transit R - reg 1998

Hi, could you help me resolve a problem with my Transit Luton please? I bought it in Colchester for £1250 reduced from £2500. It has a reconditioned engine so - one reason why I bought it was the engine looked newer than its R reg plate, well it is by a couple of years but I believe the fuel pump may still be the old one (the wheel arches are rusty and the back step has rusted). Could the fuel pump be blocked, rusted or rusted to unrepairable - I have tried diesel injector cleaner on the four injectors by removing the injectors individually. When I first got it it was only running on 3 of 4 spark plugs with diesel so it conked out going up a hill. (The breaks disks had to be changed as they were causing no break then another day sticky breaks and steaming wheels - (fire hazard)). Thanks.

As an expirienced mechanic I would recomend a full service to the engine and get the fuel line assembly checked you may have a blockage in the filter. As for the whel arches these may be repairable however the charge may be extortionate. Contact me on adammacivor409@yahh.co.uk and I will send you contractors that I use when required, these are decent honest reasonable guys with years of trade as regards to body repairs. As far as I know they even give free qoutes just charge fuel coverage - Adam MacIvor from England

Submitted: 2009-01-27 | ID: 40776

Terry Hayter, Perthshire

Ford Transit Tourneo 2002

We have had the 2002 Transit Tourneo for 3 years. No major problems although engine did cut off a few times (cylinder head cut of sensor saved our engine) and then we found out it was the water pump - pump and egr valve replaced at same time plus the usual wheel bearings. Brakes are excellent and last well, as do tyres. The abs light comes on and off for some reason as cant find any faults with it. It can rust in strange areas; like the top of the windscreen on early models like mine before they removed the rubber along the top. Very good on fuel; 470 miles per tank approximately. I was going to change to a Renault Trafic minibus but changed my mind after looking at their reviews.

Submitted: 2009-01-21 | ID: 40778

Chris, Gloucestershire

Ford Transit 130ps swb low top 2006

Had van from new, when it’s running excellent drive but had numerous trips to garage for warranty faults, egr valve, abs faults and the latest, turbo failed just after being serviced by main dealer. The engine is a right-off £4500 to put right and Ford say no warranty as van on its very 1st service was serviced 2000miles early. Yet they seem to operate a selective warranty scheme, as other warranty is done, except this claim, obviously the recession hit em hard and they need to save a bit here and there, mileage now is 47,000 and its completely useless unless I fork out this much to put right. Other Transit we operate, just as bad, numerous trips to garage for egr valve and abs faults. Never buying again as Ford customer services is crap!!!

Submitted: 2009-01-19 | ID: 40772

David Callister, Lancashire

Ford Transit LWB semi high-roof 2008

Bought this smiley transit 4 months ago, just 100.000 on the clock, goes like the wind, doesn’t blow smoke, goes like the wind wouldn’t part the world for it. They should be still making this model, when a Transit was a Transit!

Submitted: 2008-12-29 | ID: 40755

Barry Holland, Staffordshire

Ford Transit 260 swb m/r limited 2008

Looks good, drives very well, good on fuel, no faults yet after 6000 miles. I just love going to work in it. A nice car like feel inside - shop around for a good deal - I got my from Heartland Ford - nice to deal with and I got a good deal on my van.

Submitted: 2008-11-05 | ID: 40754

Pete Angell, Berkshire

Ford Transit LWB HIGH TOP 1996

Very reliable has 166,000 on the clock have been running on 90% bio fuel, renewed cam belt, and brakes all round, looking a bit tatty now. Love the driving position, very difficult to stall unlike the modern ones, loads of room in the back and will take a two tonne trailer and everyone who has borrowed it has enjoyed the experience of driving it. Easy to do your own servicing unlike modern anything nowadays. Only paid a grand for her four year ago so all round value for money, I prefer to drive the van over the car any day - cannot imagine life without it.

Submitted: 2008-08-01 | ID: 40756

Dean Bull, Derbyshire

Ford Transit 2.4 lwb 2006

Unreliable, problem after problem, two new sets of injectors, new turbo, faulty fly wheel this in turn destroyed the clutch, pipe came off the power steering pump, fuel leak of valve replaced, this is all from new!! I’ll never have one again and can’t wait to swap!

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 40757

Darren Jones, Berkshire

Ford Transit 2008

The best van I have ever owned, I cannot fault it.

Submitted: 2008-05-09 | ID: 40758

David Jackson, Hampshire

Ford Transit 280 2007

The Transit is good on fuel and ride is good too. Front wheel drive has a low floor so loading is easy. Had problem with the E.C.M. and the radio needed replacing within three weeks of collecting the van and had to wait six weeks for replacement. Nice drive but steering has no adjustment.

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 40753

David Jones, England

Ford Transit LWB 2007

hired a transit from a major hire company to move some equipment from Lynmouth to Bristol. The vehicle didnt disappoint, from a well designed interior to a large load space, and with sufficient power to cope with most of the hills that the roads of West Somerset threw at it. The only exception was the incredibly steep and bendy Porlock Hill, where, unladen, the transit struggled to have enough traction to get up what is officially (and surprisingly) a main road, and as the ever-annoying traction control kicked in almost all power was lost. Having arrived at our destination in Lynmouth the transit was easy to load, with plenty of space and wide opening doors making access easy. The maneuvrability of the van, with large wingmirrors, made light work of reversing it into a narrow gateway, aided by good power steering. Once laden, the van continued to exhibit a powerful engine, pulling away happily even on a couple of tricky hill starts. On the motorway the engine noise was more of a whistle than a roar, and it could barely be heard over the radio. Road noise also was no problem. The driving position and drivers seat were comfortable, with a folding arm rest, while a solid bulkhead provided confidence that sudden braking wouldnt bring the whole load crashing down on me! On the way back a stop at the motorway services for lunch and fuel was required, as the onboard computer was telling me that i could only complete another 20 miles. With its fold-out table the cab made a comfortable place to eat lunch, and the plentiful cup / bottle holders around the cab meant that a drink was always on hand throughout the day. On entering Bristol during the school-run, the transit was easily maneuvrable among the mothers in their chelsea tractors, and again coped with some of bristols toughest hill starts. All in all a well rounded van which i would recommend to anyone.

Submitted: 2008-01-02 | ID: 40752

Jerry Moreton, Huntingdonshire

Ford Transit 260 2.2 TDCi mwb m/r 110 2006

Still the best van around. I wouldn’t use anything else.

Submitted: 2007-11-26 | ID: 40751

• A response has been made to Ray Davies (23/09/2013 21:54:21)
  • A response has been made to Omar Ahmed (14/09/2013 16:41:56)

• Paul Davies's question has been answered: "CV joint on the drive shaft. - leigh bennett from Cardiff' '..." (15/04/2014 20:39:36)
  • Sharon Smith's question has been answered: "The splines are worn in the water pump so it’s only partially efficient. - Rosie from Herefordshire' '..." (13/03/2014 21:05:20)

Renault Trafic