Ford Ranger consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Ranger

Ford Ranger consumer reviews by year of make:1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012

Ford Ranger consumer car reviews

HR, Philippines

Ford Ranger 1999 - 2002

Had my 4x2 ranger XL since 2001. Now it's been more than 150,000km. It's been abused around the farm and hills under the tropical sun and humidity by my father treating it like a 4x4. I had it overhauled in 2013 fixing it's clutch, breaks, bushings, raised it a bit, got bigger tires. It runs like new now. I'm contemplating on putting on differential lockers to make it more off-road worthy. Looking forward to more years with my ranger. My only regret, We should've gotten the 4x4.

Submitted: 2014-05-13 | ID: 95454

Robert Powell, Norfolk

Ford Ranger 2012

Having purchased this 62 model l had nothing but problems with it missing at 1600-2000 rpm. After the local dealer couldn’t fix it and 2 trips to Ford’s own facility to be repaired it was finally sorted (some months later). The after sales service was disgusting and nobody wanted to accept responsibility for the out of pocket expenses incurred. Has anyone else experienced this?

Could you tell me what was found i have the same fault and has been to two ford dealers who plug it in and say nothing wrong but when asked wont put it in writing any info would help if it embarassess them - from West Midlands

Submitted: 2014-03-12 | ID: 40486

Peter Shanga, Zimbabwe

Ford Ranger Double Cab 2001

I bought a Ford Ranger double cab 2001 model with 172000 miles and it drives well. I drove it from Namibia to Zimbabwe to Mozambique to South Africa and not even on a single day can I say that it gave me a problem.

Submitted: 2013-03-30 | ID: 40477

Dai Twp, Wales

Ford Ranger 2008

Bought 2nd hand 18 months ago to replace a Nissan D22. It has good comfortable leather seats and plenty of power. The gearing is too high in first and reverse when pulling away, especially when towing necesitating the driver to ride the clutch but is OK once underway. Having to stop to change into fourwheel drive is a complete pain e.g. as snow increases half way up a hill and there’s nowhere safe to stop to do so. You can shift into 4x4 if the front wheel hub lock light is on (at lower speeds). The paintwork not brilliant. My 2008 model lacks EBD on the brakes and is inclined to use the ABS system too easily on a wet muddy road turning the vehicle into a 2 ton sledge -beware! Its going to be sold ASAP.

Submitted: 2013-02-18 | ID: 40482

Stuart Gray, Lancashire

Ford Ranger Thunder 2007

I read on here some have had problems with their rangers. None for me. This has been without doubt the best and most reliable vehicle I have ever owned. Bought it with 18,000 on it and have now got 68,000. The only thing that has gone wrong, apart from service items was the battery, which died at just over 2 years old. The Ranger is my daily drive. It goes four times a year to the south of France and tows my motorcycle all over the country. It has never broken down yet and if I stick to about 65mph it returns 40mpg. Just going to buy a new 2.2 6 speed Ltd. Hope its as good.

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 40481

Richard Miller, Aberdeenshire

Ford Ranger 2.5 Thunder 2005

Great truck so far. I bought mine 6 months ago, 2005 with 48000 miles on it. My only complaint, like a lot of others it only returns 20 mpg and I also agree it is low geared, but this is probably because it designed for towing and not to be a Chelsea tractor!

Submitted: 2013-02-07 | ID: 40480

Paul Davis, Bridgend

Ford Ranger 2.5tdci 2008

I have a 2008 Ford Ranger 2.5tdci, which I bought second hand three months ago, with only 27,000 miles on it. The clutch starting giving off an almighty stink after reversing up a hill. I took it to my local garage and was quoted £575 for a new clutch. The garage has just phoned me and the flywheel also needs replacing at £260 plus vat, so not much change out of a grand. I have a demountable camper on the back of the pick up, which is fibreglass and weighs much less than load capacity, I do not tow with the vehicle either. A quick internet search throws up pages and pages of horror stories relating to clutch problems with this vehicle and the total disregard by Ford to it’s customers. They have known about this problem for years and have done JACK to solve it, they should recall all Rangers and sought it out. I will not be holding my breath. Ford Ranger? Not fit fo purpose!

Most modern vehicles run dual mass flywheels, and sadly unlike the old days where a clutch kit was a pressure plate and clutch plate at well less than a hundred pounds, with these dual mass flywheels you usually have to replace the flywheel as well often around £600 ish. With conventional clutch kits the flywheel is just a solid lump of metal, and the springs to take up load fluctuations and cylinder pulses were in the clutch, so clutch not just a friction plate, but spring loaded as well. With DMF’s the springs have been moved into the flywheel which helps with some of the technology to improve fuel consumption and emissions. But now you have two parts that wear. There was an issue in the early 2000’s where the wear surfaces in the flywheel were soft so they’d fail at 30 to 70,000 miles. Since about 2006 this wear surface has been improved and we would hope they last better. So while I share your frustration with dual mass flywheels, this isn’t a Ford problem, it’s a penalty of emission technology and something most modern vehicles suffer from - M Vaughan from Cornwall

Submitted: 2013-02-01 | ID: 40478

Alex Young, Oxfordshire

Ford Ranger Double Cab 2002

I bought my Ranger at 2 years old and have driven it every day since, its done 150,000 m. It’s regularly serviced and has had no major work done on it in that time! The only work I have had done is wear and tear stuff; brake shoes, tyres etc., other than that I had the brake callipers replaced (seized) and one leaf spring, and some minor front suspension stuff done. It starts first time, every time, and tows my horse trailer with no problems. There is nowhere that I have wanted to go that the Ranger wont; deep mud, snow, flooded roads. It’s getting old now and I have couple of electrical issues; heater fan works intermittently, one electric window is temperamental, and the ignition barrel is worn and needs replacing, but overall it’s a great pick up. I hope my next Ranger is as good as this one.

Submitted: 2013-01-26 | ID: 40483

Paul Griff, Cheshire

Ford Ranger Double cab 2006

I’ve had my Ranger for two years and can not fault. It tows a 2700kg Ifor Williams trailer daily and also tows a 5 berth caravan. I have covered 25k on the same cluch, but I find it’s not as strong as the clutch in my old l200 as it tends to struggle pushing the trailer fully loaded up my steep drive. If you feather the cluch there is no juddering, but more aggressive use of the cluch and juddering occurs. Conclusion: Be gentle and you should get another 25k from the clutch.

Submitted: 2012-07-03 | ID: 40484

Robert Sleigh, Norfolk

Ford Ranger XLT 2.5 TD Double Cab pickup 2001

Mine is actually a late 2001, but it is the same as the early 2002. I have the 2.5 TD Double Cab pickup. As we live in North Norfolk when it snows we get it quite badly and most of the country roads haven’t seen a piece of grit since Roman days. The truck coped admirably, no problem. Never misses a beat. Takes on the worst of terrain like a tank and never slides. Power is good and towing 2 large welsh cobs in a horsebox is a doddle. Definitely will buy another when she dies. However she’s only done 99,500 miles so hasn’t even reached her teens yet!

Submitted: 2012-03-28 | ID: 40485

Jon, Lancashire

Ford Ranger Thunder 2008

Having bought a second hand 2008 Ranger I’m less than impressed! I’ve had the car less than 2 weeks and the gearbox has gone with only 31500 miles on the clock, even though it has been dealer serviced! This motor is not fit for purpose and does not do as described! I shall be getting refunded and sending the car back! For anyone else having problems with garages or dealers please refer to the ’Sale of Goods Act 1979’. I had to give the car a 1 star rating only because it wouldn’t let me rate it as zero!

57 plate Ranger Thunder. Gearbox failed at 97K the truck was dealer serviced. The gearbox was repaired (£1500) but now 110K it keeps slipping out of 5th - from Devon

I bought a 2007 Ranger from new, regularly serviced, at 70,000 miles , kept jumping out of fifth. 3 months out of warranty. - from Tyne and Wear

Submitted: 2012-01-28 | ID: 40470

Bob Free, England

Ford Ranger Thunder 2011

A great pickup! I’ve had it 3 months now. It pulls like a train and the cab is the best of the bunch. Well pleased!!

Submitted: 2012-01-19 | ID: 40469

Eddie Conroy, Northamptonshire

Ford Ranger XLT Thunder 2004

Hi I bought my supercab 4+4 2.5 2004 Thunder diesel at 59000 miles and I have had her nearly a year. Now with 80000 on the clock it’s used as a hunting/fishing/builders truck with no problems. I use it in 4+4 mode across the fields to get to the hedges and around lakes. I would highly recommend the Ranger as a work horse and it would pay to take out extended warranty on it or look around for a cheap low milage version. I have an Ifor Williams cab on the back and I have the mesh door and the window door for the back. I have a number of dogs, which go in the back as well and I would be lost without it. Recommended.

Submitted: 2012-01-04 | ID: 40468

Peter Eacrett, Ireland

Ford Ranger crewcab 2003

I’ve had my Ranger since May ’03 and Ican’t complain about it. It is one of the best pickups for fuel, 33-35 mpg, and has 183k miles on it now. So far I’ve had to change the fuel pump due to a fill of dodgy diesel, both rear sets of springs at different times (not sure why they snapped as wasn’t doing very heavy work), both front shocks, and recently my radiator; a word of warning here as Rangers are known for getting the rads blocked with dust and starting to overheat, if it happens then change rad asap. One small gripe I have is that it has no low diesel warning light as I found out when I ran out of diesel! It is very easy on tyres and I am only on 3rd set now. I wouldn’t change it for anything and look forward to breaking the 200k and 250k mile barriers.

2003 2.5 Ford No major problems with 118,000 hard km. Lots of stops and starts the glow plugs go bad, and the clutch 3 times. The engine is simple, no computers. When this engine is no longer made their will be a newer better engine, which will be more fuel efficent and quieter, however, with all its sensors and computer will come breakdowns costs and headaches. If you have this type of car cherish it because it’s the best compromise out there. They have completely lost their value now, worth only 20,000 etc dollars or like 3000 pounds. How long will the engine last? - Sweet Boy from Saint Lucia

Submitted: 2011-10-21 | ID: 40472

Jon, England

Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab Thunder 2004

So, you get all the dealer wonderment about how these things are "bulletproof", "are the most popular truck in the Asia Pacific region" and have stated you want to tow a heavy American Airstream trailer. What you get with a brand new motor (back in 2004): Truckman top just never arrived so <br />I was refunded after a 3 months wait and fitted the more rounded roof with roof spoiler(!) model, which actually looks better. I purchased mine in 2004 with standard warranty. In 2007 after 3 years I bought the 5 year extended warranty for £1000; full cover stated the dealer. Stated every service that the smoke was just starting to get noticed. To date I have always taken to the main dealer and had it serviced at the correct mileages. It’s never been abused in the cold and never thrashed. 6 months later I had lots more smoke coming out of it so asked to have it looked at. £1,700 for an inspection as the warranty only covers repairs! The smoking comes from valve seals or something different so they charge to find the fault, the warranty only covers fixing the fault! So on start up (at 30k miles onwards) it has belched out blue/black smoke on start up every day. With no weight or loading when you try reversing up a mild incline you get a smoke screen of fried clutch (been driving 25 years so know how to reverse), no matter how gentle you are to get some movement. Useless in snow/ice melt with the factory Duellers, all over the place on mettled roads. Do not attempt to corner at a reasonable speed in the wet when unladen, you can practice skid pan control on most wet roundabouts. I had 43K out of first set of Duellers and they still had wear left in them so they are made of wood I guess. Falken LandAir AT 110 are working well, but they change the dynamic of the handling so you feel less bumps and have a smoother ride, again the Duellers are made of wood. Fog lights on Thunder are at chip height and I have had 4 so far as they also randomly fill up with water and corrode so they can’t change the bulbs, so it’s £75+fitting+VAT if you want fogs the next year! The MPG is miserable, mainly as the design template was a brick in 2003 wind tunnel, so cruising at 70 (78 on speedo) gives a max 26 mpg un-laden, 18mpg with 200kg in the bed area at the same speed; don’t even think of going faster with a heavy load, you can watch the gauge drop as you put your boot down, plus if you are on motorway in windy conditions it’s like trying to steer a bouncy castle. Every now and then the Speedo zings around to 140mph then to zero, then back to the actual (well, indicated) speed; the Speedo is over the actual speed by 15%, so when doing 70 on the clock the GPS states you are doing 63. I have had to fit a new battery every three years (Winter and cold spell) so far as the charge was just not holding, so maybe not being charged that well. Now I have a fancy new type of battery that is so powerful the engine bursts into life, before it sounded like an asthmatic for 5 seconds before firing up. The 4WD is easy to operate, with electronic diff locks when you engage 4WD, the manual states to NEVER use 4WD if on a any mettled/tarmac road, so you are in effect buying a 2WD for road use, not a 4WD. When you do engage 4WD and turn it will kangaroo around and generally grind to a halt if you use any more than minimum lock. Good points: You can load it up to the roof of the truck top, take out the back bench seat and load that up as well and as long as you can afford 15mpg you can get about anywhere with the right tyres. The interior is a pleasant place to be, although the spings in my seat have now made their way through the padding so some after-markets on the shopping list. Ditch the radio unit and fit something average like a Sony 40+40 Watt unit with factory speakers and MP3 port and I’m happy driving from South London to the Isle of Skye with a few breaks. Also with 2004 understated looks I prefer it to the replacement 2006 that looks like it has most of Halfords bling items bolted onto it, and the stupid higher sides around the bed so you can’t transfer the truck top over from the old one unless you want even more drag. So, would I buy another one, NO. I’d probably go with a Toyota after watching Top Gear drive to the North Pole in a Hilux, the Ranger would have blown up for sure. Also, there are no real options to upgrade suspension to heavy duty like you can get on a Land Rover 130 as standard, no options for after market hubs and manual diff locks, and so I am going to get another vehicle to go to Cape Town towing the Airstream.<br /><br />So, you get all the dealer wonderment about how these things are "bulletproof", "are the most popular truck in the Asia Pacific region" and have stated you want to tow a heavy American Airstream trailer. What you get with a brand new motor (back in 2004): Truckman top just never arrived so I was refunded after a 3 months wait and fitted the more rounded roof with roof spoiler(!) model, which actually looks better. I purchased mine in 2004 with standard warranty. In 2007 after 3 years I bought the 5 year extended warranty for £1000; full cover stated the dealer. Stated every service that the smoke was just starting to get noticed. To date I have always taken to the main dealer and had it serviced at the correct mileages. It’s never been abused in the cold and never thrashed. 6 months later I had lots more smoke coming out of it so asked to have it looked at. £1,700 for an inspection as the warranty only covers repairs! The smoking comes from valve seals or something different so they charge to find the fault, the warranty only covers fixing the fault! So on start up (at 30k miles onwards) it has belched out blue/black smoke on start up every day. With no weight or loading when you try reversing up a mild incline you get a smoke screen of fried clutch (been driving 25 years so know how to reverse), no matter how gentle you are to get some movement. Useless in snow/ice melt with the factory Duellers, all over the place on mettled roads. Do not attempt to corner at a reasonable speed in the wet when unladen, you can practice skid pan control on most wet roundabouts. I had 43K out of first set of Duellers and they still had wear left in them so they are made of wood I guess. Falken LandAir AT 110 are working well, but they change the dynamic of the handling so you feel less bumps and have a smoother ride, again the Duellers are made of wood. Fog lights on Thunder are at chip height and I have had 4 so far as they also randomly fill up with water and corrode so they can’t change the bulbs, so it’s £75+fitting+VAT if you want fogs the next year! The MPG is miserable, mainly as the design template was a brick in 2003 wind tunnel, so cruising at 70 (78 on speedo) gives a max 26 mpg un-laden, 18mpg with 200kg in the bed area at the same speed; don’t even think of going faster with a heavy load, you can watch the gauge drop as you put your boot down, plus if you are on motorway in windy conditions it’s like trying to steer a bouncy castle. Every now and then the Speedo zings around to 140mph then to zero, then back to the actual (well, indicated) speed; the Speedo is over the actual speed by 15%, so when doing 70 on the clock the GPS states you are doing 63. I have had to fit a new battery every three years (Winter and cold spell) so far as the charge was just not holding, so maybe not being charged that well. Now I have a fancy new type of battery that is so powerful the engine bursts into life, before it sounded like an asthmatic for 5 seconds before firing up. The 4WD is easy to operate, with electronic diff locks when you engage 4WD, the manual states to NEVER use 4WD if on a any mettled/tarmac road, so you are in effect buying a 2WD for road use, not a 4WD. When you do engage 4WD and turn it will kangaroo around and generally grind to a halt if you use any more than minimum lock. Good points: You can load it up to the roof of the truck top, take out the back bench seat and load that up as well and as long as you can afford 15mpg you can get about anywhere with the right tyres. The interior is a pleasant place to be, although the spings in my seat have now made their way through the padding so some after-markets on the shopping list. Ditch the radio unit and fit something average like a Sony 40+40 Watt unit with factory speakers and MP3 port and I’m happy driving from South London to the Isle of Skye with a few breaks. Also with 2004 understated looks I prefer it to the replacement 2006 that looks like it has most of Halfords bling items bolted onto it, and the stupid higher sides around the bed so you can’t transfer the truck top over from the old one unless you want even more drag. So, would I buy another one, NO. I’d probably go with a Toyota after watching Top Gear drive to the North Pole in a Hilux, the Ranger would have blown up for sure. Also, there are no real options to upgrade suspension to heavy duty like you can get on a Land Rover 130 as standard, no options for after market hubs and manual diff locks, and so I am going to get another vehicle to go to Cape Town towing the Airstream.

Ha ha you all waste  your money on 4 wheel drives. There is only one 4 wheel drive to have - the Defender 90 td5. It beats anything off road and you won’t lose any money. It’s the most sought after 4x4 on the planet - Gordon Gladstone from Berwickshire

Well, I had my 2004 Ranger for over 4 years now and think it’s a fantastic vehicle for my use. I have a proper single cab pickup so I use it for gardening work, kayaking and mountain biking. As I have a canopy fitted, sometimes, when away in the summer kayaking, I throw a mattress in the back and it’s then great, free accommodation as well! Mechanically it’s been first rate, with only the glow plugs needing replacing - if this happens, don’t buy Denso as a set I bought only lasted 8 months and they would not honour their so called 12 month warranty . I got ADSL plugs in the end but will probably get NGK next time, as that’s what it says to use in owner’s manual but couldn’t get them for my year when I needed them last time. Mine’s had a proper remap (not a cheap, dodgy chip or plug-in job) and taken the power from 109bhp to approx 140bhp. More importantly, torque is up from 196 ft/ib to 245 ft/lb. It’s now much better on longer jouneys and pulls strongly up inclines. As well as stringent servicing, I also use about once a year, a proper full fuel system cleaner, that removes gum etc from injectors and basically cleans the whole fuel system. I’ve used BG in the past but now use Archoil AR6400 which has the latest cleaning agents in it. It’s about £20 but works fantastically. Do not make the mistake of using a cheap £5-10 from Halfords as they won’t work as they dont have the latest chemical agents in them. In summary, I can totally recommend a well-maintained Ranger as a workhorse. As for the guy’s comment, that he’d probabaly get a Hilux next time as Top Gear used one, well they would of used a Hilux because it’s what Joe Public think of when they think of pick-ups as the Hilux has been around since the 70’s. They could of used any of the pickups available and they would have done the journey just as well! Pickups are built tough but will eventually need parts replacing (even on your over-priced Hilux) - from Somerset

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 40474

Eastern Garib, Trinidad and Tobago

Ford Ranger Thunder 3.0 diesel automatic 2003

I upgrade from a 2003 Ford Ranger 2.9 diesel manual to a 3.0 diesel automatic (Ford Thunder). The vehicle has two major mechanical defects that the dealer can’t solve: 1-Transmission hard shifting with heavy backlash. 2-Breaking is insufficient for vehicle.

Hey man, I have the same problem and Ford call me and said they want me to come in tomorrow to fix the problem. Hope they can fix it because I am very fed up, can’t waste any more time and money on this stupidity. If you can give me a call, my number is 686-0825. We have to get together because they telling customers that is how the ABS works - Shah P from Trinidad and Tobago

Hey, I have the 2010-2011 Ranger but I haven’t had any problems YET but I keep coming on here to see what other people’s experiences are like. I hope things work out with the firm. If I have any problems, I will post them and hope you all stand up with me if I need to face them and trust me, I am willing to do anything for fairness and what is right. Please keep in touch. I refuse to be misled and ill-treated after spending that much cash - Jay Mohamed from Trinidad and Tobago

Mr Jay, give me a call. It’s important. Regards - Shawn PP from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 2011-05-25 | ID: 40446

John West, Lancashire

Ford Ranger Thunder XLT 2004

I’m chuffed to bits with mine 54,000 miles same clutch, 2nd set of tyres pulled caravans with it, light off roading, encountered floods, snow storms, severe ice. Cannot fault it, hasn’t missed a beat, only problem was one of the fog lights corroded inside in the chrome lens, but replaced by Ford.

Submitted: 2011-04-19 | ID: 40445

Paul Burr, Essex

Ford Ranger Thunder 2007

I have owned my Ford Ranger from new and followed the sevice schedule to the letter. Still didn’t stop it needing 2 new cambelts and engine rebuilds due to the premature snapping. First at 60 000 miles and second at 96 000 miles. Engine rebuild needed both times. Like a lot of other people on here who have dealt with Ford’s customer relationship centre, no help what so ever, should be renamed the ’Obstruction Centre’. Do not buy this vehicle unless you have seriously deep pockets to deal with the inevitable breakdowns and the patience of a saint to deal with Ford (sorry, we can’t help you centre.) Cambelt snapping was preempted by the vehicle shuddering at about 60 mph, be warned!

Submitted: 2011-04-10 | ID: 40444

Ford Fers, Lancashire

Ford Ranger 2007

Nothing but trouble. I had it for one year and spent £2,000 fixing it.

I bought a 2007 Ford Ranger TDCi from the UK and I have had it for less than a month the rocker arms have broken twice. The first problem was that the vehicle was overheating. Any advice? - Japheth Chanda from Zambia

Submitted: 2011-02-28 | ID: 40461

Robin Teasdill, Buckinghamshire

Ford Ranger Tipper 2007

I loved my Ford Ranger Tipper until the cambelt tensioner failed at 24,520 miles causing extensive damage to the engine. Ford havn’t given a reason as to why their product didn’t do "what it said on the box" Even worse they can’t get the parts to repair the damage and two weeks later I’m still out of business and heavily out of pocket as this was a work vehicle and I can no longer work. I say Toyota everytime as I’ve had three consecutively which never missed a beat on an average of 200,00 miles each and sold on as runners. Alan Mulally the CEO of Ford has not even responded to my questions about his product, his e-mail is available on request. Very disappointed.

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 40460

Colin Livingstone, Powys

Ford Ranger 2.5 TD 12 valve Double Cab pickup 2002

I bought this ’02 Ranger pickup specifically for the snow or other tough conditions we get in the hill country. As a 4x4 the car coped easily with 30 cm of snow in December, as well as mud, grass or sheet ice on a 25% forest road gradient. It has a high and low gear 4 wheel drive selector, with remote free wheel button. The remote free wheel comes into play as soon as you select either 4 wheel drive option: although you have to make sure it is not in RFW mode when slipping into 2 wheel drive. All this aside, the car is in my opinion more useful than most 4x4s, because it has a comfortable double cab and the pick up truck bay. As a light truck with 4x4, great in snow, ice, floods, mud, or off road it is hard to beat. Reliable, tough, durable and and economical, it is a powerful alternative to Toyota, Jeep, Mitsubishi, or Landrover. If you are looking for a 2nd hand 4x4 truck for winter, these cars are great all rounders and made to last.

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 40463

Stan Duke, England

Ford Ranger Tipper 2008

In a nutshell the Ranger is utter rubbish, I will never buy a Ford commercial again! I invested in a brand new 2008 Ranger 4x4 tipper. The tipping frame rusted terribly in no time , as did the chassis worryingly especially along the welds, the leaf springs have rusted to a bright orange glow, the paint on the Ford fitted tow-bar came off in sheets after a few months, the tool boxes rusted and the cheap locks seized up. I have started to notice a panel in the engine compartment is rusting too. Now for the clutch, what a joke! I bought this truck on the basis it was meant to be the class leader for towing capacity I really need to tow for work, I towed with the truck several times, I had to give up towing with this vehicle, each and every time I reversed an ’’empty’’ tandem axle trailer, the cab and immediate vicinity would fill with the stench of burning clutch, this truck is NOT fit for purpose! The truck had a starting problem too if the vehicle sat for more than 5 days, Ford could never put their finger on problem, overall I’m very disappointed.

Where did you park it in salt at night? The Ford Ranger is A1 and mine has done 148 on 52 plate and it’s like new. It’s a 4x4 that goes off-road so you need to help it with water and sponge - Bob Man from England

The Ranger is utter rubbish, you only have to read the reviews on here to see that. Get a proper truck, buy a Toyota! - Stan Duke from England

Well mine’s gone to a new owner, thank God - Stan Duke from England

Submitted: 2011-02-17 | ID: 40464

Joe Abela, Malta

Ford Ranger XLT Thunder 2007

I agree with most reviews, excellent truck, fits my lifestyle perfectly, a work horse, towing, loading and so presentable I even go out in it. My Merc spends most of the time in the garage now. Consumption is the only snag. Now, at 50,000 miles I feel a bit of shuddering, does it mean the clutch is going?

Check your propshaft - hanger bearing - Barend Lintvelt from South Africa

Hi, do you feel shuddering all the time when you are driving? Is it first thing in the morning or when you have done a long trip and come to a stop where you are doing a lot of clutch work? Is it shuddering only when you go off in first and if you pull off in second is there no shuddering? - Ash Man from Suffolk

I have a Mazda and Ford 2.5 TDI excellent engines, terrible drivetrain and transmissions. I have paid the best people to balance propshafts and to work on the gearboxes and the shutter and humming is still there - from South Africa

Submitted: 2011-01-26 | ID: 40454

Richard Parsons, Somerset

Ford Ranger XLT Double Cab 2006

I have had my 06 Ranger for 18 months now and love it! It runs on mud terrain tyres and will go anywhere! Has pulled out my friends L200 and is much more reliable than my other friends Navara! Regularly pulls a horsebox, an off road range rover (very heavy) and occassionally a boat! Would agree about pulling off in 4wd when towing to save the clutch. So far just had regular servicing and recently had it’s 60k cambelt service which was very easy/cheap to do! Great load bed space and a really good value truck to own and drive.

Submitted: 2011-01-21 | ID: 40458

G Harper, Lanarkshire

Ford Ranger Thunder 2007

Ford Rubbish!! I bought a new 57reg pre registered Ranger "first mistake" I’ve done 40k miles in just over 3 years and it had the rear end painted 3 times because of blisters. One of these times the dealer broke the front fog lamps taking the front bumper off to paint the front scuttle panel, which wasn’t approved to be painted and took 2 weeks to get new ones. Also replaced; two new compasses on the dash, three sets of parking sensors, new propshaft, two sets of front tyres (alignment checked 5 times). The bonnet blistered like the back end and the whilst dealer agreed to repaint the back for a fourth time they wouldn’t touch the bonnet, saying it was stone chips even though they finaly agreed it was a blistered. Because I bought it pre reg I had to pay the servicing £350-400 plus vat each time. The steering would clunk when you turn it full lock. It ended up that I just wanted rid of it. DO NOT BUY ONE!

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 40459

Alan Brown, Leicestershire

Ford Ranger xlt 2008

Had my Ranger 2yrs now, 180,000 on the clock and still drives like new. The only problem I’ve had was with the gearbox cost me £600 to sort out but I did fit a new clutch at the same time. The Mazda engine is bullet proof, not the most powerful or economical, but you read the reports on the Nissans etc and see the problems they have. Parts are cheap, service it regularly and you won’t have problems.

Hello, what was the problem with your gearbox? Did it keep jumping out of fifth? - Frank Warwick from Staffordshire

My 2002 Ford Ranger 2.5L TDI 4x4 seems to have a gearbox problem. It keeps jumping out of 5th gear and gears starts to stick when hot. Please assist - Thabo T from Botswana

Hi Alan, the Ranger gearbox has three rubber seals on the top of the box, these can leak gearbox oil. You don’t notice the leak when the vehicle is parked up, it leaks when driving. The oil level gets low and causes the gearbox to overheat. I would check the oil level straight away as if it has been doing this for some time it may need a rebuild or replacement gearbox. I am a Ford mechanic and have seen this problem quite often. I myself own a 2001 Ranger double cab and have never had any problem other than the leak I mentioned. If I can help in any other way just ask. Thanks. - Alex Hylton from England

Submitted: 2011-01-11 | ID: 40450

Liam OBrien, Ireland

Ford Ranger 2005

Good to pull, watch clutch on hills, take off in 4wd on hills when pulling heavy trailer, back to 2wd when you get over top .Plenty power but very very heavy on diesel, even when driving in 5th without trailer. I get 18-22mpg max. Has anyone solved mpg problem with 05 2.5td? Otherwise plenty space in back of regular cab. Good for tyre wear and cheap maintenance, shame about dieselaholic. Someone out there must have solved this problem?

Submitted: 2010-11-03 | ID: 40440

Jamie Brindlebinder, Cheshire

Ford Ranger thunder double cab 2007

I had no intention of buying a new ranger, but when the price of the last of the old shape mk 111 was only 13,500 grand on the road, well it would have been rude not to. The truck is without a doubt the cheapest, most capable and best looking pickup out there. Mine is a black double cab thunder. I recently took it offroading and it shamed the numerous defenders there. Of course they all took the p*** out of my pickup, but I cheerfully pointed out that my truck hadn’t got stuck, broke down or infact cost half off most of their pieces of uncomfortable c**p. My freind has just bought a Navara, 27 grand, looks like mine and does pretty much the same thing...oh, but his has satnav.

Submitted: 2010-10-28 | ID: 40441

Neil Mooney, Lancashire

Ford Ranger 2007

We use our ranger for transporting small plant inc. a micro digger and a scissor lift. The motor is excellent to drive apart from towing. The first clutch had to be replaced after 6000 miles done under warranty, the second clutch went at 9000 miles warranty not accepted. Every time we towed something a severe burning smell filled the cab-Ford told us we must be riding the clutch and refused our warranty claim. Now at 30000 miles the clutch is on its way out again along with fly wheel and gearing, quoted £3450 for repairs. Ford have apparently issued bulletins to their dealers stating the gearing is not low enough to cope. The conclusion is the vehicle is not fit for purpose. Ford refuse to accept they have a problem and have little regard for their customers.

We have been unfortunate to buy a brand new Ford Thunder, which we have had absolutely nothing but trouble with, firstly the incorrect hard back was fitted, then on our first trip out it broke down in Wales, it would not start. Been in the garage (who are the most un-sympathetic, obnoxious group of people I have ever met) for three days and finally got it back on Monday evening. Guess what, it broke down on Tuesday morning with the same (undetectable ) fault. The garage, who where only 25 miles away, did not want to know about towing us in and insisted we use the AA through Ford Assist. Now it’s back in again. This is a nightmare and does not seem to be getting any better. I’m afraid my opinion is NEVER BUY A FORD RANGER and CERTAINLY NEVER BUY ONE FROM POLAR FORD WARRINGTON - Mark I’Anson from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-10-15 | ID: 40442

David Conroy, Kent

Ford Ranger Single cab 2WD 2009

Bought last of old model Oct 09 using Uncle Gordons £2000 trade-in. Traded ex AA Brava 2.5TD 250K miles Total paid £10,000. Better spec than Maxda 250 clone. Quite good performance; initially slid a lot, exiting r’abouts. Poor fuel 32/3 mpg; (previously 37 on Brava). Ford dealer ’Wait until run in’. 12.500 (first) service at 13,500 - no change. Perhaps I should give it another 12,500 at poor economy and expense to let it improve? Re fixtures and fittings - not bad for a base model. Two ommissions; 1) heated door mirrors even though they get a mention in the ’handbook’ (a very poor publication, flimsier binding than Readers Digest and poor layout - like deciphering the Rosetta stone) Does the current model have heated door mirrors if so is it possible to substitute those? And can they be fed off the heated screen fuse? 2) Rear bumper; good for (spares) sales of tailgates and lights; fitted L/Rover front bumper utilising tow bar fixings - not Ford. More personal gripe; at 1.9m tall suffer usual problems with sigle cab - seat does not go back far enough for legroom. I have two M/Benz seats in a King cab L/Rover 130Fo so intend to steal one and substitute as this will give better thigh support (deeper seat squabs) and, whilst creating new seat frame, will raise to utilise 4" head clearance. Is the electrical control for the airbag under the drivers seat as this may be a problem? Still on height. Can anyone see the bonnet and fuel release catches? Thought it was exclusive to ’tallies’ but as ’shorties’ will have the seat further forward they can not see them either. One more for me - will be extending bonnet stay by 5 or 6" to keep sharp bonnet corner out of my scalp. What a pitiful volume is available for screen washing. I really could........ but musn’t brag and it could be tricky with the window! There is a large empty space on the opposite side of the engine bay which will soon be sporting a 5 litre water container when I can get the existing wiring out of the way It is irritating when you have to remake something bought new!! Thinking costs nothing at the design stage bur repairing, renovating and redesigning poor design and installation does cost! There, that’s said it all. Overall reasonable value for money (even at list price) and you only get what you pay for.

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 40437

Ian Davies, Swansea

Ford Ranger 2005

I am about to buy a used Ford Ranger and am hoping that I do not suffer any of the clutch problems that some reviewers seem to have had. One of the reasons I’m attracted to the Ranger is that my employer is on his second and so is his son. I do not advocate their maintenance (or lack of) techniques but believe that anything that can survive in their hands must be a tough truck. Boss - bought his 52 Ranger, had its warranty service carried then drove it for 107,000+ miles without performing an oil change. As well as this trailers of up to 5.5 tons were pulled as well as the engine being started and then thrashed from cold in the depths of winter. On top of this, 1.5 tons were often carried in the pick up bed until the day it was driven into a wall thanks to a large patch of black ice. A friend who specialises in 4x4s/commercials said if a Ranger can put up with what ***** does to it without it seizing or snapping then maybe you should think about buying one... A runaway D6 (dozer) on a batter ran onto and stopped on his son’s Ranger so they replaced the tub??!!!

The Ford is rated to tow about 2-3 tonnes, I hope I don’t have the misfortune to meet this idiot coming the other way with his grossly overloaded, badly maintained lightweight truck - Steve Peal from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 2010-07-17 | ID: 40438

Brian Sheppard, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Ranger 2005

I have a Ford Thunder 55 plate that we bought when one year old. I have had it over 3 years and I find it a great truck to drive. The truck has done nearly 80000 miles and in that time its only been serviced and had a new set of tyres. It’s still on original clutch brake pads etc.  I use it for my work in the building trade so its always carrying tools, heavy items etc. I’ve had it in deep mud; bonnet high in water this winter. We had 2-3ft snow drifts and it has coped with everything I have put it through. It started in -20 temperatures this winter and starts first turn every morning. The truck is showing very few sings of aging yet no body rust and very little surface rust on chassis. This has been a great truck to own. I have just been down to local Ford garage to enquire about a new Thunder; I hope the new one will be as reliable as this one has been.

Submitted: 2010-05-28 | ID: 40416

Stev, Lancashire

Ford Ranger Thunder 2006

I have a 56 plate Thunder 2.5 and can not fault it, it has done everything I have asked it to, and some. I regularly go off road and tow trailers and boats over rough ground, without a problem. The only thing I could say about it, is the fact that there is a bit too much power on the back wheels when in 2WD, can be fun in the wet on corners, kind of reminds me of the old Capri in that respect. As I have read all the above, I can honestly say that I have not experienced any of what has been said (touch wood) and would be quite happy to replace with another when the time comes.<br /><br />

Same problem - Tracey Ferguson from England

Submitted: 2010-05-05 | ID: 40414

Tom, Kent

Ford Ranger thunder d/cab 2007

Re Ford Ranger Brake Problems 56 reg onwards: I had a accident 4 months ago in my Ranger truck, I was travelling from a major to a minor road at 12 to 15 mph, when I felt a kick in the back so I put my foot on the brake to stop but nothing happened, and I hit a wall. This is not a isolated case as other people have had problems stopping. My solicitor has been in contact with ford but they will not acknowledge there are serious defects, and they wont let a brake test happen at a garage of my choice , which must mean they have something to hide. People could of even been killed in these trucks like toyotas. So if you have problems please contact me at letzrecycle@btinternet.com.

Hi, I am from Trinidad and Tobago and I bought a 2010 Ford Ranger and I am getting the same braking problems. The vehicle is just not stopping. The mad individuals at Ford only give you hot air. It’s time we go to the media and anywhere else. Ford really means ’Fix or repair daily’. Everyone who buys this pick up will complain with the same problem - Shaw Pp from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 2010-03-12 | ID: 40435

Keith Appleby, Aberdeenshire

Ford Ranger Thunder twin cab pickup 2006

During the last few weeks very bad weather our Ford Ranger has been virtually impossible to stop when trying to brake on a steep incline. It rolled backwards for over 100 yards on one steep drive before I could stop it. Another time it shot forwards onto a main road when I lightly applied the brake. My wife had a similar experience with it and could not stop it even when applying the hand brake as well. We are now very wary of it and wonder whether to just get rid of it.<br /><br />

Yup mine is the same! Thought it was just me! ABS is a little over-zealous!! - from Devon

Hi, I had an accident with my Ranger truck 2007 57 reg 17 weeks ago, which I am positive is a result of brake failure. I currently have a solicitor on the case to try and get it in court, but Fords are refusing to acknowledge that there is any problem, these trucks have got big problems. You contact me direct at letzrecycle[at]btinternet[dot]com - from Kent

Try getting the brakes fixed! You need working brakes to stop any vehicle, not drive around saying it doesn’t stop, err? - Steve Ellerbeck from Essex

Don’t suppose you were driving it in 4x4 with the centre diff locked causing a diff wind up? You cannot drive with the centre diff locked on a dry road and the wheels need to all rotate at different speeds as they take different paths around bend, etc. This would cause a surge which the brake would struggle to prevent - Chris Jones from Cornwall

Mr Chris Jones, sorry but you are talking some serious crap - Shaw Pp from Trinidad and Tobago

Submitted: 2010-03-02 | ID: 40429

John Oliver, Essex

Ford Ranger thunder d/cab 30 tdci 2007

Bought new in 2007, drives great and auto ok for off road. Long journey no problem and with auto town also good. MPG fair for a heavy vehicle. Equipment is basic, like no heated mirror options and heated seats, nne button warms all butts, however these are minor grumbles. The main issue is RUST on all welds front and rear chassis. The dealer refuses to put right even though warranty says it’s covered; Fords customer service needs to be re-named. Currently taking action. I don’t think it will make it’s sixth birthday without needing major work. Before you buy one have it on a ramp and check. other than that it’s great ! Any one else notice the same rust conditions?

Hi, I’ve a 2008 3.0 AutoThunder D/Cab, I have the same issue with rust, also on the welds across the slam panel at the front. I got our service guys to respray mine as Ford did not want to do it, only done 22k since new not a good sign as supposed to have warranty on the body work. Other than that great to drive, had no issues as yet. - from Staffordshire

H John. I`ve just read your post about the rust on the Ford Ranger chassis. I have a late 2004 model and yesterday it went for it`s MOT and our works` mechanic told me that the chassis was rusting quite badly. I only travel 12 miles a day, 20 on a good day and the only hammering it gets is going down a bumpy lane every day. I am going to get a second opinion as this doesn`t seem right at all. How did you get on with your dispute? Also last week my back driver`s side window fell down - all the internal fixings have rusted away completely. I currently only have one out of four windows that will open! The truck has less than 65,000 miles on it and it would seem in my case the engine will far outlive the body! - Jo Kemp from Cornwall

Submitted: 2010-02-16 | ID: 40426

Richard, Dorset

Ford Ranger 2007

I have an 07 Double Cab, very comfortable. I use it privately as well as for work,plenty of room for the kids,bikes,etc. Then there is the towing....DO NOT TOW WITH IT!!!. My first clutch went at 24000 miles and I am not even towing with it that regularly. We had a battle with the Main Dealer who said that the clutch was not ’Heavy Duty’ so we had to pay £1500(!!!) for new clutch, flywheel, slave cylinder,etc,etc. It has now done 29000 miles and is going in for another new clutch next week....you guessed it, even the ’Heavy Duty’ clutch has worn out now and Main Dealer is not interested as ’you have towed with the vehicle’.....ahh yes, it is a work vehicle , but is as such NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE. I would not have another one. I know of a local Utility company who have many Rangers and most have had Clutch issues. One of their 08 models has had 3 already, maybe I’m getting off lightly. BEWARE OF THE PLASTIC CLUTCH!!!!!!!!!

Help is at hand!! I’ve just been told that they will re-do the gears in the gear box!! Bob Ford are keeping it very quite and is only for a few made in 2006/7 Mine was new 03/07 but made 07/09 ask your dealer about warrenty work Ford CS say they know nothing about it!!! REALLY HOPE YOU SEE THIS - Bob Help from Devon

Bob, Thanks for that, I was about to write another post as I literally heard about this last week when mine went in for it’s second clutch. I have just heard that due to demand the parts are in short supply and I may not get the vehicle back for 3 weeks! Aty least they are doing this one under warranty. We are now going after Ford for a refund on the first clutch. Now they have admitted that there is a fault I think everyone should push them for compensation. Good Luck - from Dorset

Let me know how you get on as I’ve been told there is no way Ford will refund my first clutch!! {:o( And yes I’m still waiting on parts for mine!! - from Devon

I too have gone through two clutches now. The first went within three years 24000 miles ( in March 07 for 04 thunder ) my dealer told me that upon inspection, I had misused the clutch. The second has now gone with 51000 miles on the clock. Both Ford and the dealer tell me that there is no problem with the clutches in the rangers. Could you provide me with a few more details of your claim please? If it is a problem with the trucks, I can hopefully get a new clutch and the money back for the first repair - Anthony Montague from Kent

Hi there. I’m just away to purchase a 2006 Ford Ranger wildtrak, I was not pleased to learn about clutch problems in some 2006/7 models? Perhaps you can let me know the serial no, in which I could then check mine after purchase and see if it’s been manufactured around or at the same time as you’re Ranger, which Ford would appear to know suffer from clutch problems - from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2010-02-11 | ID: 40420

Richard Higgott, Leicestershire

Ford Ranger XLT Thunder 2004

Bought my 04 plate ranger when it was 2 years old; had the full chrome pack and leather seats. The paperwork shows the original owner paid £21,000, I paid £10,000 to him at 20,000 miles, so beware how much you could loose if you buy new and have all the trinkets! Use it for my Landscaping work, and has been a good reliable tool. Diesel consumption is only around 24mpg which isn’t great. Could do with a 6th gear as 70mph on the motorway is quite noisey, but I can put up with that as it is an off road tool that I have as yet not managed to get stuck. I have like other owners noticed the glow plug light flashing when being driven, its only happened 2 or 3 times in the summer and not done it for months now; ideas anyone??? Have just this week had a starting problem with the Ranger. Took out the glo plugs and found 2 not working (just drop a 12 volt current through them and see if they glo). Ford Dealer T C Harrisons wanted £104.23 per plug supply only!!!! WHAT A RIP OFF. Went down to my local Diesel specialist (Swadlincote Diesel) and they are getting me 2 genuine plugs at less than £20 each. I expect to keep the truck some years. I am still only at 38,000 miles apart from a bit of clutch judder as you pull away and the 2 issues above I would still recommend one.

I had a similar fuel heater light showing sometimes. After several trips to the main dealer and making arrangements with my bank manager(thats how serious it was) a guy on one of these forums told me to drain water from the diesel filter - took 5 minutes and one spanner, no problem since. I swear by these sort of help each other rooms, all the best - Leslie Miller from Essex

Had a similar problem with the glow plug light on mine. Ford couldn’t diagnose a thing so when I got home I sprayed all the electric contacts under the bonnet with DW40. Cured! - Richard Moss from Durham

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 40417

Chris Maddison, England

Ford Ranger Thunder 2009

Great to drive but for the feeling that the clutch is crying when you pull off. I’ve had the plates stinking just reversing solo up a slope?? The stainless sill bars are rusting!! hardly stainless of any quality, can’t comment yet on customer services as I am just about to embark on that path, I’ll let you know what occurs. Finally, amongst all the gadgets why no heated mirrors?? They are as big as a mans face and bloody useless in winter.

Submitted: 2010-01-24 | ID: 40413

Lee Lane, Northern Ireland

Ford Ranger 2.5td 2005

I bought my Ranger at 54000 miles. Comfortable on long journeys, I use 4wd low on hills, taking off to save clutch and changing immediately when reaching level ground saves clutch. I often pull 3 TON. I had a problem with a flashing glow plug light and the engine going into slow mode I took off the EGR valve, cleaned out soot and blanked off pipework near the rear of bonnet where the pipes connect with a piece of aluminium from brake fluid bottle. I’ve no problems since, however, the Ranger is only doing 15 -18 mpg since I got it, What do I need to do to improve this? That is 15-18 MPG empty, even on long journeys.

Hi. I have an 03 2.5 & have had same problem as a lot of owners.Like you 15-18 to gallon.Now flashing glow plug light.Worst of all loss of power at 3300 revs plus when hot. I`ll try doing what you`ve done, if it works I`ll certainly let others know. Hope yours continues to be OK. Otherwise, best truck I`ve owned...hope it`s not diesel pump though ???!!! - Graham Curtis from England

Had my Ranger since new on 53 plate, had problem with glow plug light flashing a couple years back but no loss of power. Ford dealer sorted that but now light flashing and loss of power until turn engine off for about 10sec, this all happens at about 3000 revs. This winds me right up but thought it’s glow plugs because its started to take ages to start literally over night. Brilliant truck though, good in snow, even with 2 bald tyres on the front. Its done lot of off roading and never got stuck but drinks way too much - Daz Button from England

Submitted: 2009-12-30 | ID: 40398

Dave Newsham, Inverness-shire

Ford Ranger Thunder 3.0 auto 2008

This is my second Ford Ranger. I prefer Auto’s so when the new 3.0 auto was launched I traded my 2.5 manual in for it. I am a fan of the car for a few reasons, its great value for money, nice to drive and a fairly quiet and civilised cruiser. The ride is a little bouncy but it is designed to carry loads, so to be expected. Could do with more toys, cruise control, heated mirror / screen, steering wheel radio controls, trip computer etc. However I have one major gripe with this car, and the reason I am considering swapping it for a Hilux after just 13 months, is the dreadful fuel consumption. I am averaging less than 20mpg. My previous 2.5 manual was managing 30mpg. Take a look at the brochure and it tells you that the 3.0 auto manages the exact same combined mpg as the 2.5 manual of 31.7mpg. I feel like I have been ripped off by Ford. I could live with this fuel consumption better if it had a bigger tank, however I am looking for fuel ever 250 miles. Towing a car transporter and I’m not kidding you when I say it goes through a tank full of fuel in 150 miles... Its a real shame and I will be sad to see the car go. If you want one, I would urge you to avoid the 3.0 Auto.

Local Ford dealer warned me off the auto for fuel economy reasons - he said stick with the manual! - Adam Szymborski from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 40401

Bruce Harwood, Cambridgeshire

Ford Ranger Thunder 2009

I originally went to buy a Navara, but when I saw the Thunder I just fell in love with it. It has the best cabin out off all of the pickups; I drove and I tested them all. Even though The Nissan is more powerful on paper it just didnt feel that way on the road. The Ranger is never short of power. The suspension was initially very bouncy but the dealer told me it would settle with time, which it did after about 6,000 miles. I’ve had it two and a half years now and done over 50,000 miles. The only faults it’s had have been minor and the dealer dealt with them. I can’t see me changing in the near future as I’m still very much in love with driving it and it still looks great. If you want a 4x4 pickup, this is a no brainer. It’s in the top 3 best cars I’ve ever had. I didn’t expect ever to say that about a truck but it is.

Hey, it looks like you are getting paid to say such cr*p. The Ford Ranger pk model tdci is very dangerous. People, don’t buy any Ford vehicles again. Let them drive their piece of sh*t "t 6 ford" all by themselves. The vehicle has same problem - Shawn PP from Trinidad and Tobago

I have owned four Ford Rangers now, all of them have been brilliant. I agree with some of the reviews regarding clutch judder and yes the way the trucks handle is not in Ferrari style but this is a working vehicle even in Thunder trim and is comfortable, fairly good on fuel and won’t look too bad when you take your mum shopping. Hilux is stronger but twice the price. If you do get a problem do not expect Ford UK support, technical department is fronted by call centre type barrier and more market trader than global car manufacturer - Danny Crowley from England

Submitted: 2009-11-29 | ID: 40403

Dave, Lincolnshire

Ford Ranger 2.5 LWB crewcab 2005

DO NOT BUY THIS CAR!!! 6000 mile service intervals, 24 mpg, way too low geared hence very noisey cabin at m-way speeds and comedy handling as standard. This vehicle has cost the lease company thousands in repair bills! The ranger now has 117,50 miles on the clock. Over the last 4 months it has been in the garage for 3 of them. It has had a new fuel injection pump, head gasket, water pump, radiator and two sets of glow plugs. There are approx 150 rangers in the fleet for the company I work for and I’ve heard of quite a few overheating and also some with the big end bearings going after 90,000 miles ( requiring new/ reconditioned engines ). In my opinion this is the worst vehicle ive every driven!

Thats the opinion of a typical yuppie! I hate seeing people like you driving them on the motorway wearing suits! And also meeting you on our country roads ’cos you can’t back-up! Get a smart car and leave us country folk alone! - John Hodgson from Lancashire

I am by no means a yuppie/ wear a suit to work! This is a proper working vehicle and goes off road on a regular basis, (which is its only good point ) but most of the time is spent on a-roads or at the dealer for repairs. The vehicle has been returned to me from the dealer last week after overheating for the 4th time! The fault turned out to be a cracked cyclinder head which was diagnosed by a specialist enginering company. This is the 2nd time the head has been off and its the 2nd engineering company to look at it. In my opinion don’t go near an older high mileage example - from Lincolnshire

Sounds to me like your local dealer needs a new crew of mechanics! I have a 2004 xlt, its done 120k+, serviced every 6k from new by a local backstreet company, and is an absolute bag of fun to drive. As for comedy handling?? Its a TRUCK not a bloody hot hatch although saying that if you could drive you’ll find they go sideways round large round abouts very nicely! :) Then there’s the small matter of these trucks being so sh**e and unreliable that your company has 150 of them, do you work for the dumbest employers ever??? I agree with John, go buy a smart car and stop whinging!!! - from Suffolk

Late 2006 saw the new Ranger come out with extended service intervals to 12,500miles, and had a new more powerful more fuel efficient engine - so much so the yearly tax disc was only £110 as a result. Yes if you put your foot down the rear will spin out on a corner but that’s because it’s rear wheel drive and it’s a commercial load carrying vehicle with nothing in the back. Put a load on it and no problem, or just don’t be so heavy footed. For the same lightweight rear end, towing isn’t so good unless you put something in the pickup bed - spread your load out. We towed just shy of 3 tonne of livestock down to southern France with half a tonne of water in the pickup bed and it was the most stable towing rig I’ve ever driven sitting at 70-80 on the motorways quite happily - Adam Szymborski from Leicestershire

I have a 2004 Thunder and it is so unrelialble it is unbelievable. ’Fix Or Repair Daily’ springs to mind. Buy a Toyota or a Mitsi, leave the Ford alone. And before someone accuses me of being a yuppie, I am a tradesman that works on and off road, off road is not bad on road is comfortable and nice to drive, but it is totally bloody unreliable. Latest issue either head or block split. The heap of s**t has to go!!!!!! and I will never buy another FORD - Ray Osborne from Essex

Dave, I think you must have a "Friday afternoon model". I have a 53 plate single cab (proper pickup!) and its been great. Owned for 2 years, no problems whatsoever. As for your comment about buying Mitsubishi/Toyota, well they’re basically all the same! My Ford Ranger even has a Mitsubishi motif on the alternator! You get bad example of all marques - I’ve heard plenty of horror stories of pissed off l200/Hilux owners as well - Matt Lay from Somerset

Submitted: 2009-11-22 | ID: 40406

Phil Orwin, Sussex

Ford Ranger 2007

DO NOT BUY! What a terrible truck, nothing but problems. It can not tow. Ford customer services are not worth phoning and as for the warrenty, it is not worth the paper it is written on. I have had a new clutch, warped discs, the cam belt go, the paintwork peel off, various knocking sounds that couldn’t be explained by Ford, the car shuddering when it hits 60 miles an hour, the list goes on, and its not 3 years old yet!

I’ve got a 57 reg double cab I’ve had from new. 3 weeks ago I was doing 10 to 15 mph when I put my foot on the brake, my abs brakes locked up resulting in me hitting a wall at approx, 30 mph not even the airbags went off. Ford and my insurers dont want to acknowledge the fact that there could be a fault with the truck unless I can find people with the same problem. Apart from this the only answer is watchdog!! - from Kent

I’ve got an 07 Thunder 2.5, it’s just started to shudder at about 40mph when accelerating not too hard and again at 60. Did you find out what the problem was? I do around 50,000 miles, used for work and pleasure, thanks - from Essex

Hi Phil did you find out what the shuddering was caused by? My 07 Ranger has just started to do this at 40 mph and it has done 50,000 miles as well - Ian Coope from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2009-10-30 | ID: 40393

David Simpson, Cambridgeshire

Ford Ranger Thunder Double Cab 2.5 TDCi 2007

Great truck until you need parts. The truck overheated and needs a new coolant temperature sensor. Due to Ford having no parts in stock worldwide I will have been without the vehicle for a month!! Spoke to customer service and they won’t help with a courtesy vehicle. The truck has covered 97,000 miles so I don’t mind it breaking down but cannot accept Ford’s inability to supply parts or Ford Customer Service unwillingness to help. I would not have another Ford based on this experience.

Submitted: 2009-10-16 | ID: 40397

Mark Wright, Cornwall

Ford Ranger Double Cab 2007

Well here goes thought I would spoil myself a couple of years ago and buy a Nissan Navara but having been patted on the head by an overbearing salesman in the Nissan garage in Bodmin I decided to check out Ford and stumbled across the Ranger. Absolutely fabulous to drive, superb engine, very usable and 3K cheaper than the Nissan - fantastic! Then it all went wrong; pretty much the first time I towed with it! It goes forward OK but reversing was a nightmare - I had to engage low gear everytime otherwise it would fry the clutch. Literally, I had been used to an old Pajero which could pull a freighted 7.5Tonner off a duel carriageway but the first Ranger Clutch lasted 7 thousand miles and it was a brand new one! I am now not towing with the vehicle which makes it worthless to me so am trading it in for a new Transit this week. So to recap: if you want the Ranger as a cheap 4wd fine; if you want to tow with it AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!

Submitted: 2009-07-27 | ID: 40491

Robert Priest, Devon

Ford Ranger Thunder 2007

Last week it would have been a 4star! Clutch has gone!! Oh and Ford have upgraded the clutch plate now but its still our fault! I was told when towing you should start in low box and when on the move change to high! that’s fine! Have you tried that I asked ? NO! that’s good eh! coz you cant go from low to high unless you stop!! or will Ford replace the gearbox when it goes?? If you want to tow ’do not buy one!’ hell of an engine, pulls like a train! but first gear is geared like second, so you have problems pulling away! People even stall it with out a trailer!! I was told this was to do with emissions!! Talk about "bull" I bought the truck coz it said it was a work horse and industry leading pulling capacity of three tonne, which is fine but the clutch is not up to the job so that makes the Ranger not up to the job!! Am I strong enough to take on Ford ? No, but I will not buy any thing else from them!!

Submitted: 2009-06-29 | ID: 40487

Graham Kitchen, Lincolnshire

Ford Ranger 2007

Just brought an 07 plates with 25,000 on the clock. Awesome! I am a part-time game-keeper, landscaper and a mad fisherman. It performs every time.

Submitted: 2009-06-05 | ID: 40488

Ann, County Tyrone

Ford Ranger 2007

My brother has just bought a "new" 2007 Ranger with 2 miles on the clock and after driving a couple of hundred miles the clutch went and Ford refused to repair it and said it was wear and tear. I think this is utter rubbish! Ford should take responsibility for this especially in this economic climate. I shall be writing to the chief executive of Ford and also to TV’s watchdog programme.

Typical Ford, put it on Watchdog, although to be honest everyone would have to as well, or no joy. Ford say it’s a 3 year warranty but in reality your only getting one year, the second and third are severely limited in what they’ll cover. In your case I would push them and or shame Ford into replacing. I wish you success as Ford Customer Service is a joke but they are excellent at negating warranty work. I know I’ve been there too. I won’t be buying Ford ever again. Funny how Kia can cover their cars for 7 years, and Hyundai 5 years, bumper to bumper. I think that says in all about Ford’s confidence in it’s own product - Nigel Smith from County Armagh

Submitted: 2009-06-03 | ID: 40489

Andrew Duncan, Moray (Elgin) and Nairn Shire

Ford Ranger 2.5 2007

I use my 2007 ranger 2.5 as a workhorse in the water industry. Working in the Highlands and islands of Scotland on all sorts o’ sump busting, wheel spinning and bogging down stuff! I had been using a Ford Connect for 3 years previously, broke it heaps of times and persuaded the boss to get me something a bit more appropriate, ie 4x4! finally the day came that Mr Ranger appeared. Immediately I loved the look, the 2.5 is bare, not chromy and leathery like the higher level models, but that’s what makes it look so good. You can see the bash plates underneath clearly, no frills and sparkly bits, immediately one can tell it means business! Having driven Land rovers in the military, I thought also that it may be all look and no action. I got in, liked the interior. I do find the nooks and crannies are way too small though, and in a working vehicle they can get manky pretty quickly, dust, spilt coffee etc, and can be fiddly to clean. I drove off and immediately found the Ranger has the turning circle of an oil tanker!!! it is a long vehicle, parking in a busy street is another problem. City boys, do NOT buy this vehicle! long drives on main roads are a pleasure, with enough whoomph in the engine to do confident overtakes, a rarity in a hard core fourby. Good fun with nippy third acceleration. Proof of the pudding though was getting to my work locations, up steep fields, crossing moorland and rocky ground, not bogging down! Didn’t like having to stop to change into four wheel drive, not convenient when you hit a bad patch and you have to stop to change into 4x4! bloody annoying! You know when you see a spot that looks nice steep, scary and do able? Well, I’ve taken the Ranger up anything I would attempt in a Landie, had it at alarming angles where I was positive it would roll and had it as deep in water as I dare! It came through with flying colours - apart from one thing... why is it, when in full lock in 4x4, especially in reverse, that it feels like the handbrake is on? It doesn’t want to move! In all, I love it! Price is reasonable, looks good, and does what it says on the tin! Get one!

That’s only because when the Ranger is in 4xr4 mode the front wheels are in diff lock (they turn at the same speed), so when you are going around a corner the outside wheel has a greater distane to travel than the inside wheel so with the diff lock is on the outside wheel will be trying to slow down and the inside one will be trying to speed up thus making a jumpng/ juddering/ braking effect on the front wheels . Hope this helps :) - Alastair Pye from England

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 40494

Aidan, Worcestershire

Ford Ranger 2003

Re: Everyone with flashing glow plug lights. These motors are rebadged Mazda B2500s, and as such their engines are taken from the Bongo (a camper van). As you all probably know there isn’t a normal ODB2 diagnostics port in the car, instead a unique connector in the top right of the engine bay (looking towards the car). Instead of paying Ford for a diagnostics you can do it yourself with a paperclip. Go on this link: http://www.igmaynard.co.uk/bongo/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=25081&hilit=flashing+glow+plug. Its hard to figure out first, and I found it easier to record it on the camera phone and play it back. PS, my flashing glow plug light refers to timer control valve and EGR malfunction. As EGR is active only when warm I suspect that may be the common fault resulting in glow plug flashing when warm.

You’re a legend, cheers - Paul Gardner from England

Submitted: 2009-04-08 | ID: 40492

John Whyman, Somerset

Ford Ranger XLT Thunder supercab 2004

This is by way of an update and a recommendation regarding the flashing glow plug lamp and the injection system. The flashing glow plug lamp is usually an indication that the on board computer has detected a problem, although it may be due to a worn out glow plug (worth checking at about 50K miles). The flashing may be accompanied by a loss of power at around 3000 rpm in all gears and may even give up. If you stop the vehicle, let it stand for a minute and re- start the problem may go away until the next time power is required. If this is the case then the Zexel injection pump is faulty. I have just had mine rebuilt at 54000 miles , (£2000) and been given back all the faulty parts. The speed regulator and priming pump were replaced as was a ball race and other parts. The immediately noticeable thing was that some of the parts were brown gummed, and this is the fault of poor diesel or water in diesel. The recommendation from the diesel expert here in France, (and France runs on diesel) is;- that as the pump is known to be faulty by design ( I believe the new parts fitted are improved), it is worth using a good injection system cleaner additive (like Bardahl winter cleaner or Wynns) in the diesel to keep the pump clean from gumming. In winter bleed off any trapped water from the fuel filter- there is a butterfly bleeding nut on the bottom of the filter. The only other recommendation for owners with the Mazda engine configuration is to get an extended parts warranty, the extra cost is negligible compared to my own experience. Apart from this ’hiccup’ I’m not going to get rid of it, it is the most flexible and surprisingly good machine.

Submitted: 2009-03-03 | ID: 40502

Robert Lloyd, England

Ford Ranger 2007

I bought a demo Ranger with 20 miles on the clock in December 2007. It has now done 9 thousand miles and the clutch has gone. Ford told me it is wear and tear and I had to pay 700 pounds to fix it - worst still - if I took it away to get a better quote I would have to pay 300 pounds to put it together again. Has any one else had this fault as I think if this happens after this mileage something is wrong?

Ford Ranger clutch problems seem to be inherent to the vehicle. My 2008 Thunder has just gone to the garage for new clutch plate /dual mass fly wheel release bearing / pressure plate over - £2000 in parts and labour. The Ford warranty is a joke, they are not interested - Nigel Hales from Devon

Submitted: 2009-02-27 | ID: 40500

Justin Miles, Devon

Ford Ranger Thunder 2008

I woke with bleary eyes and a heavy heart - it was the day for me to be test driving the new Ford Ranger Thunder, but the thought of getting behind the wheel of a car carrying the blue oval on the front grill was not filling me with enthusiasm. I swung my leaden legs out of bed, creaked upright, splashed about in the shower, showed a razor to my stubbly chin, threw on some Ralph Lauren labelled rags, fed the dogs, and made my way into the office. At eight am, as promised by Ford, the buzzer on the door "buzzed" to herald the arrival of my nemesis. Now a few weeks ago, when a sexy little BMW 125 was delivered to the office, no-one even raised an eyebrow. This morning the boys were in early - not just early for them, I mean early! Even more surprising was the way that they snaked down the stairs behind me to witness events. It could have been a genuine interest in the truck, or wanting to mock me behind the wheel despite me very vocal antipathetic view of the entire Ford range (apart from the Transits!), or it could have been just a bloody good excuse to stop work (or should that be "not to start work"?!). I nonchalantly strolled around to the rear car park where, I have to admit, I was pleasantly surprised by the masculine aesthetics of this new Ford Ranger. In fact, at first glance, this Thunder really did look the part; the metallic Titanium Grey paint did the truck plenty of favours - drawing the truck away from the plain whites and reds of the utility truck and into the realms of the much more highly regarded, and higher priced, Toyota Hilux and Mitsubishi L200. Two circles of the Ranger confirmed that everything was as it should be. It was a double cab, it had lights, alloy wheels, glass in the windows, and a well sized and accessible load space (simple latches on the drop down tail-gate that even cold and gloved hands could operate with ease). It was very tempting to put a little tape over the blue Ford oval before I headed off, but I took the mind over matter approach, swallowed the bitter little pill, and hopped into the drivers seat. Craig and Tom were already seated and buckled up, bouncing up and down like kids, opening every compartment and pushing every button (and I can confirm that the sound system is efficient enough to blare out some track by the Blackout Crew at an astonishing level of decibels). The cab was well laid out, surprisingly spacious, and had that "new car leather" smell that I adore. Everything was well finished and was very conspicuously absent of the "plasticy" interior that I have come to expect from Ford. One thing that really drives me potty in any car is engine noise. In this case the engine noise in the cab was minimal and in no way interrupted the noise emitting from the standard fit CD player (courtesy of a CD provide by Craig and Tom). The first thing to strike me about driving the Ford Ranger Thunder was how simple it was. The car didn’t feel "heavy" at all; it felt more like driving a large car and reminded me of the first time I drove a Vauxhall Vectra - but bigger and with a much better field of vision. One of the best things I like about driving Land Rovers and pickups is the visibility. You can see all four corners of the vehicle so despite them being much larger than a standard car they’re still easy to manoeuvre, and the Ford Ranger is no exception. We took off along the dual carriageway to open the engine up a little. It flew along quite comfortably in fifth gear, with a little positive acceleration still available for overtaking. Unfortunately, we didn’t get the chance to take the Thunder off road, but I did check out the selectable four wheel drive box. It’s difficult to tell how well the four wheel drive works when you’re on a freshly tarmacked road, but all of the gears were easy to select and the instructions for use were clear and precise. I tried the Ranger Thunder, which is towards the top end of the Ford pickup range, but even in it’s most basic form the Ford Ranger is a great truck offering good "workable" functionality. The Ford Ranger could be the unsung hero of the working pickup truck - the saviour of its breed, the last of the true working vehicles. All in all, despite carrying the blue Ford oval on the front grill, this Ford Ranger Thunder is a fantastic piece of kit and offers terrific value when compared with other trucks in the category such as the Hilux and L200. Look out for deals around the £13700 (plus VAT) mark; they are few and far between, but they are out there. I really did enjoy driving the Ford Ranger Thunder, and at this price it knocks spots off of it’s competitors. Could it be that, thanks to this one truck, my nemesis is transmogrifying into my nirvana? Check out www.bestpricedvans.com for more info.

I’m bloody glad that wasn’t a long story you where telling. Hahahaha - Trev Murch from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-02-10 | ID: 40504

John Whyman, Somerset

Ford Ranger XLT Thunder supercab 2004

It seems that there is a problem with the Injection system on the Rangers fitted with the Mazda engine. I have had the same problem as well with the flashing glow plug lamp. The Rexel? ( now Bosch) injection pump appears to be prone to a ’sticky valve’, and whilst it may not appear to be much initially, the pump may suddenly go wonky without notice and cause a sudden loss of power. The only solution is to change the pump, which is a ’ VERY’ expensive business. Here in France, a pump is 4000 (yes that’s four thousand) Euro’s. It’s cheaper to buy a new engine! In the U.K. they are about £2K for a rebuilt exchange unit. Luckily I have managed to get a second hand pump sent over from the U.K. for £300 and will get the other re-manufactured at the local Bosch service unit. Otherwise the Ranger is magic. I have used it everyday in very rough country to haul trailers heavily laden with logs and farm machinery. It copes beautifully with no fuss at all. I am having it repaired and wouldn’t dream of parting with it!

Submitted: 2009-02-09 | ID: 40503

Jan Michalunio, Northamptonshire

Ford Ranger 2002

I’ve have had the 02 Ford Ranger for a couple of months now and have had a flashing glow plug warning light when warm. I’m told this is common but am also told this could be fuel injection problem - can anyone help? Also, the belt for the air con was missing... Is this a cover up?

I had to replace the fuel pump on my Ranger - Scott MR from United States of America

Hi Jan, I was reading your review and a friend of mine seems to have the same problem with his truck. Have you gotten this issue solved yet? If so, could you let me know how it was taken care of? Thanks and happy motoring...I hope - Laine Tony from France

Submitted: 2009-01-12 | ID: 40496

Aidan, Worcestershire

Ford Ranger 2003

Had the Ranger since May, since done 13500 miles in it including 2000 miles in France in July, now on 130,000. No problems in it as yet apart from the flashing glow plug light when warm as quite a few people seem to have. Can’t fault it really, its not the quickest or the most economical but it seems to keep on going, its not got the ridiculously expensive to repair components that other vans of the same age have. Example, Ford TDCI injectors and programming is apparently £1000 at the dealer. I got a 2nd hand low mileage set of 4 injectors for this Ranger for £20. As far as I know it doesn’t have a dual mass flywheel, and as far as I can tell with the detailed history its on its original clutch, which feels like new. It looks dated inside but has air con, electric windows and arm rest as standard. The only rattling comes from the truckman top I fitted myself with only 2 out of the 4 bolts. It is rear drive, therefore it doesn’t have any problems pulling away in the wet (unlike my old company T5 130bhp which either wheelspins or traction control cuts all power) You aren’t sat as upright as in a T5/Vito or similar with a bulkhead, meaning its much more comfortable. I would change it but then read about Vivaros/Traffics-gearbox and turbo faults; T5s-gearbox, clutch and flywheel; Transits-rust! clutch/flywheels, injectors?; Vitos-injectors? But otherwise very nice. Caddys cost a fortune, Astras nice, but low roof height, back of load area difficult to reach with bulkhead, and on it goes. I think my next purchase will be an 06 Thunder, last of the old shape with leather.

Submitted: 2009-01-02 | ID: 40499

Declan Ryan, Northern Ireland

Ford Ranger XL 2003

Super work and pleasure truck, decent handling and good on motor way too. I purchased it new and have just sold it with 90k on it. It is really easy on tyres too, the second pair were just coming to there end of life when I sold it . Ultra reliable, a must for any one who wants a 4x4 that will last for ever and cost little to run, rear light lense only cost £20. Don’t buy this if you live in a city as its just too big and has a brutal steering lock .

Submitted: 2008-07-08 | ID: 40510

David, Durham

Ford Ranger XLT 2007

Had a Toyota Hilux and an Isuzu Rodeo 3.0tdi previously but this Ranger is in a class above. Anyone contemplating a pickup, must try one.

Submitted: 2008-03-25 | ID: 40509

Mick Hume, Cheshire

Ford Ranger 2003

Hi, I am currently experiencing this problem. What have the dealership done? I was about to change the air flow sensor?

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 40507

Mark Rudd, Essex

Ford Ranger Thunder 2004

I was wondering if anyone else has had a problem with the fuel injection system on the 04 ranger - ours went wrong at 16000 miles was repaired under warranty but has just started to go again - the warning sign is when the glow plug light comes on and flashes.

Submitted: 2008-02-25 | ID: 40506

Stan Hollier, Leicestershire

Ford Ranger 2.5 TDCi Double Cab XL 4x4 2007

This is a working van and is used to it’s full potential everyday (in construction). This is a cracker of a workhorse and has towed, lugged and hauled just about every piece of machinery on site without any problems whatsoever. The only negative is the handbrake which, in my opinion, is in a stupid place, but you do get used to it. Highly recommended.

Submitted: 2007-11-22 | ID: 40508

• A response has been made to Robert Powell (08/09/2014 19:49:30)
  • A response has been made to Jon (15/04/2014 07:48:35)

• "Where on a 2.5 tdi w/l diesel engine in a Ford Ranger is the timing belt mark on camshaft and crankshaft?..." (Livingston Mckenzie, 15/09/2014 02:34:44)
  • "I replace 4 injector new and turbo new and it start and run for a bout four hours a it smoke a lot and now the engine will not start but be four I sh..." (Livingston Mckenzie, 08/09/2014 02:44:50)
  • "I replace 4 injectors new and replace turbo new and the engine smoke a lot the engine lost power and burst the after cooler hose..." (Livingston Mckenzie, 08/09/2014 02:36:20)
  • "Hi, have seen while visiting S.A. and the U.K. that Ford Rangers have their side lights activated (front only) so they operate as D.R.L's (Daytime ru..." (david mcpherson, 04/09/2014 04:50:54)
  • "My van got towed in the morning last monday and that night whiles driving I saw this light flashing on the dash that never came on before, I search t..." (SELWYN MAHON, 24/08/2014 20:42:13)

• Livingston Mckenzie's question has been answered: "How can you tell when your timing chain is broken? - Billy Oliver from Somerset' '..." (14/09/2014 14:26:58)
  • Bennie's question has been answered: "Can I ask for an engine control diagram for my Ranger Trekker? - rosely from Philippines' '..." (21/08/2014 14:46:59)

Ford Ranger

2012 - The Ford Ranger takes a much more unashamedly US of A approach than its predecessor. In both the looks of the latest Ranger and the way it drives, it’s content with being a pick-up truck and not trying to be a lifestyle SUV. For this, those who need a useful workhorse will be very grateful, while th [...]

An image of the Ford Ranger 2012

Ford Ranger

Compared to other pick-ups available to private buyers who might want to use the Ranger as a family car, the Ford acquits itself reasonably well. The soft-ish suspension wallows and lurches its way along the road, soaking up most bumps but with little in the way of sophistication or astute control. [...]

An image of the Ford Ranger