Ford Ka consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Ka

Ford Ka consumer reviews by year of make:1997 1998 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Ford Ka consumer car reviews

Norman Appleby, England

Ford Ka 2002

Both the inner and outer sills have rot with rust. The rear inner boot rusts away from both sides and rear corners below the rear lights. The car sub-frame at rear twists and causes breakage at rear bush area. The front discs rust and crack.

Submitted: 2014-03-24 | ID: 40209

Raphie J, Hertfordshire

Ford Ka 2012

Got a Ka Studio 2012 on finance, straight away am very nervous driving the car. I have been driving for 2 years already and commute to work everyday. I am usually a confident driver, but the clutch on this car makes me so nervous but only going into first gear, it seems to stall so easily and jump suddenly in gradually getting used to it but I miss my old 2002 Ka so so so much! Was so much easier to drive, also have noticed that sometimes where the mileage I have done is on the little screen it changed randomly to a really low number with a petrol tank sign next to it? Only occasionally this happens has anyone else experienced this? And am also very angry with the manual locking - the passenger side doesn’t lock unless sitting inside the car..., not sure what to do other than that everything else seems to be fine! Anyone else had similar problems ? X

Submitted: 2014-02-03 | ID: 40211

Mandy Longstaff, Durham

Ford Ka Zetec 2012

When I bought this car I really loved the look of it. It was smart and easy to drive but now a year on I’m really not happy with my purchase, I feel robbed to the bones as I look at what garages are selling them for and I feel I’ve lost big time. I’ve had my wheel nuts replaced once already and in 6 months I’ve notice they’re rusted yet again so I’m not happy. Don’t buy one.

Submitted: 2013-12-09 | ID: 40210

Ford Ka Studio 2013

Update to my dispute with SMC Gravesend and Ford Motor Company regarding water ingress into both driver and passenger doors of 2013 Ka Studio. This is Ka number 2 both with same fault. I have been officially told by SMC Ford at Ebbsfleet, Northfleet, they will do nothing to refund my money on my faulty Ka and according to Ford customer relations it is within the technical design of the Ka and the water ingress within the door seals is of a tolerable acceptance. I now face the long process of asking the help of the ombudsman and then probably going to the small claims court. It is a disgrace that Ford and Swale Motor Company wash their hands with these faults and put people through their own time and expense to seek their rightful refunds. Never again! I have to rate 1 star as I would score 0, but no option of this score, I wonder why?

Submitted: 2013-07-08 | ID: 40208

Karen Dearnley, Nottinghamshire

Ford Ka Zetec 1.3 TDCii 2010

First time in buying a Ford and the last! Loved the new look Ford Ka and wanted something small and nippy. Since purchasing the car I have had to have the radio/cd replaced, had numerous ongoing problems with warning lights appearing on the car - only to be told the reason that these appear is because I don’t drive a long distance and therefore the battery is not charged fully hence the lights coming on and off. Funny thing is that whilst in warranty they didn’t seem to be able to do anything with this constant fault. I was virtually told not to worry when these warning lights appeared!! The last service - when the car was out of warranty - they suddenly managed to find a solution at a cost. Never even had the decency to contact me, went ahead and did the work. Complained bitterly and eventually was reimbursed for the work as they agreed the fault had been an ongoing issue whilst still in warranty. Now the wheel nuts on all four sides have completely rusted. Ford have agreed that they are aware of this, but are not prepared to take responsibility for using cheap components on their cars. Would never ever buy another Ford and will tell anyone I know who is thinking of doing so to take a WIDE BERTH!

Submitted: 2013-06-30 | ID: 40203

Bobbie Crane, England

Ford Ka Sportka 1.6 2003

The old syle Sportka 1.6 is the most reliable car I have ever owned, it has never failed to start in all the 10 yrs I have had it, my partner loves it. But sadly things are starting to go wrong with it, mainly due to wear and tear. I have now handed it over to my partner (keeping it in the family), with its nippy engine it still has a long way to go (55000 on the clock). As for me I have just bought a brand new Ford Studio 1.2 Ka a big change for me engine size wise, but I needed a cheaper running car. I love the new shape and the interior has more space than the old Ka, will see how it goes.

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 40207

Ford Ka 2012

Add on from recent review: Star rating still, 0 pity there is no minus rating for Ford’s! I have had contact from Ford customer relations who seem to have taken Ford and dealership comments on board and have told me basically what I already knew, so they were of no help whatsoever, a bit like a chocolate teapot. I must stress to anyone thinking of purchasing a Ford Ka to think long and hard and to see if the dealership point out the design in the manufacture and the potential defect, which Ford are well aware of. A good sell point could be to throw in an umbrella free. This has been the most stressful time for me as I now dread having to go out in the rain. It is the joke within my family. Shame on you Ford and Swale Motor Company Ebbsfleet Northfleet.

Submitted: 2013-06-08 | ID: 40206

David Merham, Derbyshire

Ford Ka Studio 2003

I purchased a cheap 2003 Ford KA back in 2007 for my daughter. Although I got a great deal at the time, I soon found out that they’re just not reliable, or well put together. The bodywork corroded very badly and various interior compartments came apart easily. The suspension was hopeless!

Submitted: 2013-06-08 | ID: 40205

Ford Ka 2012

Ka bought in 2012 and returned it after 9months with water ingress in doors. Ford then applied a modified seal inside the doors, so I purchased a new 2013 model with modified seal insitu and guess what ? After just 6 weeks the problem remains and Ford along with the dealership in Northfleet don’t want to know and say there is nothing they can do, this is a design in the KA. So my advice to any one thinking of buying one is don’t touch them with a bargepole, go to a descent company who wont rip you off. My star rating would be 0, but that option was not available.

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 40204

Mariln, Lancashire

Ford Ka 2010

I purchased this 2010 Ford Ka in 2011 with only 40 miles on clock from a Ford dealership. There was no previous owner so it was new to me. It has been back three times now for leaking water badly, so I am seeking legal advice as no one at Ford seems to care!

I know how frustrated you must feel. I have the same problem with water ingress on not one, but my second new Ka Studio and like you Ford and the dealership doesn’t want to know. They say it is the technical design of the Ka, so why didn’t they tell me that before they let me part with my hard earned money? It already has the supposedly new modified seal inside the doors, but they are useless. I hope enough people read the reviews, as I should have done before buying the new Ka. My advice is go to a dealership who won’t rip you off and read reviews before-hand and hopefully word will soon get round. I would not recommend Ford motors or Swale motor company, Ebbsfleet, Northfleet. - – Penny Steadman from Kent

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 40176

Neil, England

Ford Ka Zetec tdci 2011

I bought this car from a local Ford dealer as a 5 month old demo car. So far it’s been great, with no problems, great mpg and very low road tax. I would recommend one of these cars to anyone, just dont pick one with a light colour interior as it gets dirty quickly!

Submitted: 2012-08-15 | ID: 40185

Amy Amin, Essex

Ford Ka 2005

A very economical car, but it has a big problem with door locks. It opens from inside, but I’ve not been able to open the doors, even with the keys. Very costly and complicated to repair. I will never advise anyone to buy Ford’s cars.

Submitted: 2012-06-11 | ID: 40178

Arvinder Hallen, Essex

Ford Ka 1.3 tdi 2010

Got a brand spanking new KA from Rates Ford in Grays, whose service was incredible and I found their after care to be amazing. The car itself was really good to drive around London. After the first year service my brother decided to drive the Ka to Scotland . It stopped 5 yards from the destination and I asked was there anything funny happening whilst driving he replied the lights were coming on by themselves the wipers had a mind of there own and the radio kept switching off. The AA were called who said water had blown the electric system; basically a pipe got loose behind the dash and fried everything. I got it towed to Motherwell and the next day I was slapped with £665 bill for repairs as the warranty does not cover it. Apparently cars only have a 1 year for the full car parts and the other 2 just for bit and bobs. I rang Ford customer services; I don’t blame the dealers as they’re all franchise dealers and it is Ford direct who have the final say. Two hours later I was told they will stump the bill as the car is only 18 mths old with 7k on it. Let’s see what happens next week. They classed it as water ingress I think.

I have had a similiar problem with my 09 Ford Ka. It is now in the garage for the 5th time with water ingress. Everytime it is in a different place, so it is not the mechanic not fixing it right. It has been in the garage for 10 days now and the mechanic is baffled by how many leaks it has. They keep telling me they have never seen water ingress as bad as this, but, if you read various internet sites it is obviously a big problem with the new Ka. I am having trouble speaking to anyone at Ford UK It’s time Ford put their hands up and admitted to this problem - Pat Stewart from Somerset

Ford already know they have mega problems with the KA, but will do nothing about it while they can keep ripping people off they are happy to do so. Showrooms still have them sitting there and they will not say they have design faults, which to me is disgraceful and they are getting away with it again. I say just tell all not to touch them, which is too late for us, but if it stops more people being ripped off it will be worth it. - Penny Steadman from Kent

Submitted: 2012-05-24 | ID: 40179

Joyce Robinson, Durham

Ford Ka Grand Prix 2010

I purchased my KA to replace my streetcar. It has been totally reliable and averages 47 mpg day in day out. It rattles from dash in cold mornings until the plastic expands and there is tyre noise on some surfaces due to the tyres being low profile. However, I am totally happy with it and am often asked what it is when in car parks; mine is red with white stripes and body kit etc. I would think any one would be happy with a KA with its cheap running costs, reliability, low road tax at £30, affordable servicing and plenty of dealerships; my dealer Holiways of Newton Ayciffe find nothing is too much trouble. Love it!

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 40182

Kenneth Ashcroft, England

Ford Ka TDi 2010

My KA TDi has a problem with a rumbling noise from the clutch after only 3,000 miles and the dealer and Ford do not want to know. Do not buy one!

Thank your lucky stars then that you do not have one that leaks water in the door seals and yes you are right Ford don’t want to know. I also agree with you when you advise anyone not to buy one. -  Penny Steadman from Kent

Submitted: 2012-04-21 | ID: 40183

Sassy, England

Ford Ka Studio 2003

I’ve had my Ka for 9 years and I’m finally part-exing it in next week. It has only passed one MoT in this time without work being done, always over £200 a time and always on the front suspension and wheels. The first MoT it failed when the tracking was off and caused my tyres to go bald on the inside edge, which you couldn’t even see when checking the tread. Since then I’ve had so many bits replaced. Last year it felt like I was constantly driving on ice causing a "wheels sliding out from under me" sensation, and after sending it into the garage several times they finally discovered both my front wheels had snapped from their mountings (I’m rubbish at car terms!). If you jacked the car up and grabbed the tyres the wheels wobbled backwards and forwards from the car! It cost me a lot to replace the whole bit they attached to. It now feels like its doing it again so it’s going at last. Also the rubber bushes have been replaced every year as they have turned egg shaped, and I’ve been told its a common problem with Ka’s; two of my co-workers have had the exact same problem and have gotten rid of theirs this last year. Engine wise it’s been brilliant, driving has been mostly fab and it’s done well bobbing about the local area. But I wont miss all the money lost.

Have my current Ford Ka for 7 years now and I bought her second hand in 2006. She was registered in 2003 in Ireland and the Axel bearings went in her and cost me a fortune, then she needed new tyres and because I do low mileage I am ok on tyres every other year. I did not open the bonnet on the car for a few months and when I did open the bonnet the bonnet became out of alignment and I have to real bang it hard to close it now. I would not recommend this car to anyone, in the cold weather the breeze flew open the passenger door swung open and the door was put out of alignment and was also warped, it is still not properly closing after been fixed in the garage it does not let in the rain but you can just see it slightly out of alignment. I have a NCT in January and I am dreading my service in Jan also. Hopefully nothing wrong with her, she eats petrol at 1.3 and with the new government increase in taxes in Ireland she is not a worthy vehicle to buy. The heater also does not heat up for ages and the car remains cold and then all of sudden she becomes so hot its like a oil fired radiator. I presume the alternator in the car is acting up. I only have 39,000 miles on her and she is 10 years old next March - Fion Live from Ireland

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 40186

Sue Thomas, Northamptonshire

Ford Ka 2009

When it came to updating my old Ford Ka, I had no hesitation in buying one of the new models. I like my new car except for the locking system. On my old KA there was a lock on the passenger door. With the new model, the only way to open or lock the passenger door is from the inside. Since buying the car I have had three grandchildren. Trying to get them in and out of the car safely is an absolute nightmare and very unsafe as I have to leave the child being transported alone on the pavement, just hoping he remains in the same place while I lock/unlock the passenger door. As a gesture of goodwill, it would be great if Ford would undertake to modify the locking system so that passengers could get in and out of the car safely. If there is no change to this in the future, I shall NOT be buying another Ka.

Buy one with remote locking - from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2012-02-06 | ID: 40193

Claire Wood, Scotland

Ford Ka 2011

I bought this car in June last year and I really don’t like it! It stalls a lot and goes like a kangaroo at times with no reason! It’s also started making a noise now when you build up speed and I have had problems with my wipers; the linkage on my front wipers have gone and the Ford dealer where I bought the car from just don’t seem intrested at all saying my warranty won’t cover me for my linkage because the weather has been cold!!! I now have to pay £245 to get it fixed and it’s not even a year old!!! Don’t buy a Ford Ka!

<p style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;"><span style="font-size: 6.5pt; font-family: Arial; color: #222222;">I am reading a lot of reviews and the one thing they all have in common is that Ford and/or the dealerships do not want to know, so do not buy a Ford KA or any Ford as the aftercare is rubbish. -  Penny Steadman from Kent</span>

Submitted: 2012-02-06 | ID: 40191

Francis Houlgate, Lancashire

Ford Ka Edge 2010

I’ve had my "new" Ka Edge for 18 months now. For the price and what it’s supposed to do, I quite like it. It has a lively engine, is easy to park, cheap to run and great fun to drive, if you drive energetically like an Italian, bearing in mind that it’s a re-bodied FIAT. It corners well and being short bodied can often leave bigger cars wallowing around sharp bends! But it is not really a car for dawdlers or for those who find driving a chore. Mine came with air con. and central locking. The bad news? It gives a punishing ride on all, but the smoothest surfaces. It also has terrible juddery windscreen wipers, even after replacement the blades and the cramped pedal positions take some getting used to. Reflections from the dash onto the windscreen can also be irritating on very bright sunny days. All in all I wish it was a bit more Ford and a bit less Fiat, but I do after all, quite like it!

Submitted: 2012-01-28 | ID: 40190

Rhayzor, Ayrshire

Ford Ka Zetec 2009

This car is unsafe!! I’ll start with the pros: (this won’t take long) Looks pretty good, handles ok, 1.2 engine is fairly lively (but KA is tiny so it should be) and it has Fords heated front screen (unsure if this is standard). Now for the cons: The condensation inside is a nightmare! The windows steam up all the time especially if it rains and you need to have the blower or heated screen on all the time to keep from steaming up (this kills your economy), but side visibility is shocking due to inadequate blowers on the side windows. When trying to heat your feet in the winter there is only a blower from the left side meaning your right foot is still freezing. This usually isn’t an issue because you always need to have the heat directed to clear your windows! There is mould everywhere, unsure if this is due to a leak or purely down to the poor air circulation? Ok if that wasn’t enough to put you off here goes! I went out to find my hazard lights on and after trying to switch them off I found the rear wiper come on by itself and "airbag failure" and "fuel cut-off" messages on my dash display. I then found the glove box wet. On further inspection I found the fuse box inside the glove box to be wet!! I sprayed it with WD40 and waited till morning and lucky it didn’t rain during the night. The next day I got in and started it up and the screen washers blasted the windscreen until they ran dry and the wipers went nuts, at the same time water was spilling over out of the fuse box and into the glove box!! All sorts of lights came up on the dash along with the warning messages again with a few more including "steering failure". I couldn’t see out of the windscreen due to the screen washers and it’s lucky I wasn’t driving when this happened!! I got out and locked the car, the screen washers and hazard lights were still going nuts and the dash was lit up like Blackpool illuminations!! I called Ford Assist who towed it to the Ford Arnold Clark garage I bought it from in Prestwick (they’d serviced it 2 months previously). I called them and explained the problems also explaining that the car was still under warranty. They were quick to tell me that water ingress isn’t covered after the first year of warranty!! Does this mean Ford find it acceptable for a car to leak after its 12months old??!! They still have the car and won’t get to it until Monday. This is a serious design flaw, the fuse box doesn’t even have a rubber seal on it! I am going to Ford about this on Monday. I have read others similar to this on the web, one of which was identical! Avoid this Ka until this has been sorted. You have been warned!!

Hi, we purchased 2009 Ka model and have several problems. Constant steaming up, steering, leaking in all the time on the door rubbers, nightmare car. We have taken our complaint to the ombudsman as I have had problems since the car was six weeks old. I would never recommend Ford for cars or customer service ever - Cath Abel from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-01-25 | ID: 40188

Mike Ross, Warwickshire

Ford Ka Zetec Climate 2012

A good car all round had it new in 1998, no big issues though. It’s prone to dings on the doors due to no side rubbing strip, might consider the new shape.<br />

Read reviews on the new shape KA. I had old design for 12 years and all was good, but rust was an issue. I am now on new KA number two with water ingress problems and Ford say it is in the technical design of the KA and will do nothing about it. My advice would be go look for a company who don’t rip people off. -  Penny Steadman from Kent

Submitted: 2012-01-23 | ID: 40195

Pat Sharp, Leicestershire

Ford Ka style 2002

Well, my little lady Ka has to go soon. She has been a delight. 110,000 miles, minor services, same exhaust, minor MoT issues. A lovely car. The only fault is appaling rust around the filler cap cover and rust on the inner door cill. I’m looking for another car, but the new Ka has the most garish dash of any car I have tested. I like, at present, the Citroen C1vt.

Submitted: 2011-09-30 | ID: 40197

Nigel Sharp, Devon

Ford Ka 2010

I bought my new shape Ka back in January this year I’ve previously owned two old shape Kas with no problems, however, I wish my new one was the same. From day one I’ve experienced a jerky ride and a tendency to stall in low gears, it just takes of and also fails to start so it went back to my local Ford dealer who supplied the car. They told me, in so many words, that running the aircon caused the problem and not to use it, what a joke! Once again it’s going back to Ford next week. I don’t have any faith in this car or my Ford dealership.

I also bought a new Ford Ka in 2010 & want the decent one back. The gears are hell & it’s more expensive to run - Kath Collins from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2011-09-07 | ID: 40199

Becky Picksley, England

Ford Ka 2006

I bought my car 2 years ago and initially loved it. However there were a few faults which the dealer choose to ignore: The glovebox falls out (can’t even fit a sat nav or cd’s in there); The wipers scuff along the window and make a racket- quite dangerous on the motorway as they don’t clear the window properly. Also I recently discovered the worst paint job in the world. It can not withstand a bit of bird mess. Not my first vehicle, but the first time I’ve seen paint literally blister to the shell of the car. Totally shocking. It looks an absolute mess. A waste of money.

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 40198

Emma, Wiltshire

Ford Ka Titanium 2011

I have a new petrol Ka Titanium registered late April 2011. Althought the exterior is fantastic (so far), the interior is shoddy! The stitching in the drivers seat has come loose already. I have not known this in any Ford I’ve had (not even one that I had when it was ten years old). The USB I paid extra for is not compatible with my ipod touch (which was bought in Feb 2011) so that was a waste of about £300. I have written to them regarding this, but there’s nothing they can do, although they have now informed me that if I’d bought a new Ka now it would work, as they have changed the software. The start system is a good feature, but I can’t see how it saves fuel. The charts suggest 50mpg for city driving yet I’m only getting 41.8mpg. Basically I’m not happy with car.

I bought a 2012 Titanium 1.2, I agree with alot of your points. I think that the interior seating seems very poorly made. I have trouble with stalling and starting first thing in the mornings, it’s a bit lumpy. Petrol comsumption is not as good as I thought it would be, had a Fiesta before the KA and there is no difference, or even it’s a little worse. But quite impressed with the way it holds the road, like driving my old Mini - John Wright from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2011-08-09 | ID: 40201

Claire Wiltshire, England

Ford Ka 2009

Bought from new 2009 plate Ford Ka. It’s been in the garage 25 times. Fuel economy is about 25 to the gallon and I’m constantly telling the garage I bought it from, but they’re not interested. Very unhappy with the car. White blemishes keep appearing on plastic inside the car and on the outside quater panels. This, the service department said, was common. I finally got an appointment with the manager of the branch, which sold me this car. The doors are very heavy. Research this car. I’m going to exchange it.

Submitted: 2011-06-27 | ID: 40175

Jim, Essex

Ford Ka Zetec 2011

Hi all! I bought a Ford Ka zetec with stop and start, a new gadget so I was told by salesman saves on petrol and for peeps who don’t know what that is its when you stop at lights or whatever the car turns itself off and when you put back into gear and take handbrake off it starts again. Seems to drive very well, fairly small in boot also back seats, but after all it’s a small car. Seems to get a bit rusty quick though, the bolts to do with the suspension under the bonnet have gone rusty after just 10 days of brand new 11 plate car, but I got my covers off my Fiesta mk 4 car to put over the bolts lucky they fit the KA; wouldnt of hurt Ford to put covers over them. Had no spare wheel with car, which is bad, had that horrible wheel filler. I complained to Ford, but they didn’t want to know so I just bought 1 off a site on here, a lot cheaper as Ford was asking £160 for a spare tyre. I think it’s silly that it has no built in factory alarm, neither has it a fake alarm warning light due to nowadays crime’s on the rise, but it has an immoblisor.

Hi I have just bought the Ford Ka Edge and would like a spare wheel 175x75 14 r82. Where did you get the wheel from and can you confirm it fits in boot as I’ve read a few strange reviews - Karen Smith from East Lothian (Haddingtonshire)

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 40164

Helen Slade, England

Ford Ka Zetec 2009

Interesting to read the various experiences, and to discover that others have had problems that I have also had. Notably the wiper judder and a replacement radio/cd. Apart from that, I am quite happy with my 2009 KA. I opted for the spare tyre (free of charge) and subsequently had the parking sensors fitted (£200), and I did have a couple of add-ons. Most impressive is the spoiler which makes a HUGE difference to the apperance and turns a rather naked rear end into something rather snazzy. I have had my car almost two years and done over 23000 miles (I drive for work) and it handles motorways or country lanes with equanimity. I get about 50-51 MPG even when bashing down the motorway (ordinary unleaded) and would agree that it loosened up after the first 6 months or so. I carry quite a lot of stuff about and find that the boot swallows up a surprising amount, but I do use the back seat too. However, since it is usually only me in the car that doesn’t bother me. Just ordered a new one.

Did you buy a new one and if so how have you found it - what model? - from Surrey

Submitted: 2011-05-25 | ID: 40162

Joe Brooks, Lancashire

Ford Ka 1.3TDCi Titanium 2007

Further to the previous report, I finally got the wipers fixed - took nearly a month waiting for parts. I do not like tyre inflation kit and investigated the option of a spare wheel. Well, don’t bother!! Apparently they are not available and a close inspection of a rear wheel, removed, shows a pair of pins to locate the wheel on the hub. This rules out any alternatives other than "Ford" - read Fiat I suppose - and advice given was stick with the tyre kit. Not a great deal of use if you are considering motoring far from a garage. The Highlands for example. After a bit of reflection, the car was flogged and a Fiesta diesel got instead. A better kind of car all round. So, ok for not going away into the open expanse. Not for us though and to be realistic the previous model of Ka was more practical if wishing to use it in remote areas.

Submitted: 2011-05-16 | ID: 40166

Matthew Radford, England

Ford Ka zetec 1.2 2010

Bought in Nov 2010. So far no faults but windscreen wipers do judder a bit but seems okay so far! 3500 miles on the clock and seems to have loosened up a lot... better than when we first got it! Not bad on the motorway for a small car. Fuel economy poor though, can barely get over 40mpg on a long journey and careful driving! Rather small in the back but it is a small car. Will consider something bigger when it is time to change, but so far I like the car and it is quite fun/nippy around town.

I have owned a mark 1 KA for a year now, and it required a new front spring (not a KA quality issue, just modern springs not too good, garage informed me) for recent yearly MOT. I also ain’t too impressed with the fuel consumption, doesn’t seem to do much more on a good run at 60mph max, 35-45 seems to be about the return - Adrian Butters from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2011-03-20 | ID: 40160

Paul, Suffolk

Ford Ka 1.2 titanium 2011

I’ve owned my new Ka 1.2 titanium since March 1st, build quality seems really good for a car made in Poland, doors shut with a heavy thud rather than a tinny clang of the previous model, drives nice gearbox is brilliant and looks stunning in piste white. I traded down from a Focus 1.8 because of cheaper running costs and i’m well pleased so far, the way it goes round bends, sticks to the road like it’s on rails. Will watch out for the wiper problem mentioned by other owners. My only gripe? Why can’t Ford fit proper carpet in their small cars instead of that cheap looking felt?<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-03-08 | ID: 40172

Dominique James, Gloucestershire

Ford Ka Studio 2010

I bought my new KA in March last year and have owned two previously. As this was new shape was intriqued to see the difference. Firstly the price considering this is bottom of the range I consider it to be overpriced. Previously I had a C1 Citroen and in comparison it was all singing and dancing and cheaper than the KA. The car is fun to drive and whizzes along on the motorway quite happily. I do like the shape and the build, but am not impressed with things like the fact as one previous reviewer commented that you cannot even unlock the thing on the passenger side from outside and have to lean across the passenger seat to open the door. This is absolutely ridiculous from a practicality point of view and from a safety point of view. I have NEVER had a car during period of several decades of the driving that is like this. I would not have bought it had the salesperson told me this was the case. I can only assume it is Ford cutting corners (what cost a manual lock as standard?). I have also had the kangarooing, which still happens on occasion. Have had to have the wiperblades replaced as they bounced over the windscreen. However, worse than this my manual car is acting like an automatic. It will actually drive without my foot on the accelerator and will drive at a speed of 10mph even in 4th gear. Even more peculiar, it will accelerate to go up a slope. Am taking it back to Ford, Stroud this week to see what can be done. Am not impressed either by the economy but then, I have been spoilt by the C1. I shall be keeping the car for another year and then exchange it for another C1. 40 odd miles to the gallon whilst driving sensibly and smoothly doesn’t seem to make any difference.

I have also recently bought a new shape Ford Ka on a 59 plate and wasn’t told about the lock situation. The salesperson apologised and said he didn’t know. I have only had it four weeks and am going through Trading Standards to see if they can help! - Tracy Woodward from England

Submitted: 2011-03-01 | ID: 40170

Judith Swift, Lancashire

Ford Ka Studio 2010

Bought my car in July, by that evening I discovered the wind screen wiper right hand side judders the window winder fell off and the radio did very perculiar things including random jumping to white noise/max volume. Took it back to Pye motors Morecambe, who replaced the radio and said the wiper problem was due to some residue left from the "sale sign" on the wind screen. Next rainy day the windscreen wiper was slightly better but not fixed and got progressively worse again. Since then the glove compartment door fell off, and the trim that holds the parcel shelf in place has fallen off. Flat tyres, which in practice have to call breakdown and get towed to the garage for repairs as the inflator device isn’t recommended by the dealer or the breakdown people and you can’t drive on the motorway after using it anyway! That’s another half day wasted! Yesterday, Friday afternoon the car broke down, the engine turned over but wouldn’t fire. Unfortunately I made the mistake of NOT ringing Ford assistance and used Britannia to take me to Morcambe main dealers. The dealer can’t do anything until Monday and couldn’t give me a replacement car. So I rang Ford assistance today and they have refused to come out and see if they can restart the car as its "already at a garage", but won’t give me a replacement car either even though PYe say they can’t look at it until Monday. So the Ford Assistance" is basically a waste of time as my car’s going to be a least three days off the road and I’ve had no help whatsoever, a real pain when you live in a rural location! Other very annoying things, because I haven’t got central locking, the only way you can lock/unlock the passenger door is by leaning over from the driver side, not good for someone with a bad back! The passenger side door doesn’t have an external lock for your key and doesn’t self lock if you push in the handle. This is de-evolution! So if someone parks right up to the drivers door the only way into the car is via the boot. To open the bonnet you have to lean over from the driver side right down to the left side of the passenger floor side, it’s not underneath the steering column as indicated in the drivers manual, again no good for someone with a bad back and remember if you haven’t got central locking you can’t open the passenger door from outside to access the bonnet catch as you still have to lean over and open the door from the driver side!

Hi Judith. I read your review with interest and agree with your comments. I have also added a review. I have to say that I am absolutely disgusted with the door lock set-up. I even asked at the 1500 service if there was something that I wasn’t doing, only to be told that you cannot lock it from outside. How primitive is that?! I have to take my car back this week as it is running on its own, only at a low speed but its quite spooky. Perhaps I have a Toyota engine under the bonnet by mistake. I won’t be keeping the KA long term but I do like the look and performance, however, with the price of petrol, I will revert to a C1 next time with all the electrics etc. Best wishes - Dominique James from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 2011-02-15 | ID: 40173

T Davies, Warwickshire

Ford Ka 2010

Had my new shape KA for less than a year, the milage keeps on blinking every other day, the window wiper shattered, otherwise the car is great. Have had KA for the last 8 years.<br />

<p style="background-position: initial initial; background-repeat: initial initial;"><span style="font-size: 6.5pt; font-family: Arial; color: #222222;">In a word, no! Unless you want a car that lets in water and if it does Ford will do absolutely zilch. -  Penny Steadman from Kent</span>

Submitted: 2011-01-26 | ID: 40168

Chris Parker, Buckinghamshire

Ford Ka Edge 2010

I borrowed this 10 plate with under 3K for the weekend while my C Max was being fixed. I recently helped my elderly parents buy a new 3 door Fiesta and I loved it. It is a spacious, well built car with a good driving position and a crisp responsive 1.25 engine. So to the KA.......It looks compact and when you get in that is what you get. In fairness the front is quite room and 2 of my children 3 and 10 did fit in the back seats. The boot is small, but I did manage to get a family shop from Tesco in there, so not too bad. Access to the rear was difficult, so trying to strap my 3 year old into his car seat was not easy. The driving position is very poor, with the wheel only adjusting for height. There is no place to put your left foot when it is not on the clutch. The seats are very hard and not that good. The feel of the cabin is cheap and gives the impression they will not last. The rear wiper switch had to be forced to get it to work. The ride is hard and where we live in the country you feel every pothole....ouch! The engine feels very rough until it warms up , then it is not too bad. Acceleration was reasonable even with 2 large adults and 2 kids in it. The most disturbing thing was the fuel economy. According to the ’official’ figures the combined economy is 55 mpg........DREAM ON ........best I got was 46mpg and I drive reasonably carefully. I have seen this type of car on an 09 plate with 2K at £6500 and that seems reasonable, I would not pay any more. This is basically a Fiat with a Ford badge and while I have only had it a few days, it shows. Spend a bit more money and get a Fiesta, you will not regret it.

Submitted: 2011-01-25 | ID: 40167

Elizabeth Theron, South Africa

Ford Ka 2007

The best little car ever. Mine is a 2007, had it 3 years now. Will not change her for anything in the world. I travel 68 km a day and a tank of petrol last me for 2 weeks (10 working days).

What is your engine size please? - Stanley Smith from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2010-12-24 | ID: 40158

David Skews, Durham

Ford Ka 2008

I bought a brand new Ford Ka, the boot fills with water and there’s rust on the wings. Ford did not want to know, shame on them!

Submitted: 2010-12-23 | ID: 40157

Joe Brooks, Lancashire

Ford Ka Titanium 2010

What a good small car, even if it is "tainted" by being a Fiat engine! However, there is a terrible design fault on it, namely the linkage to operate the wiper arms. Some cheapskate opted for plastic wiper spindles rather than all metal so it is moulded onto the metal bar linkage. In cold weather it gets brittle and water pours in and freezes round the spindles. You can clear the windscreen of ice but not the ice chunks down the hole. Turn on the wipers and wreck the assembly. My Ka is currently awaiting parts which are seemingly not available until the new year. Oddly there was not a courtesy car available either when the dealership found out what was wrong. All new Ka owners beware of this fault and lack of available spares owing to "back orders" and INSIST on a courtesy car.<br /><br />

Same problem here. So far I’ve been waiting 4 weeks for the replacement part. Ridiculous - Guy Denning from France

Had same issue, wiper linkage froze with ice and broke. It took Ford 6 weeks to obtain parts from Germany. Ford Customer Service hired me a courtsey car - Roy Stokes from England

Submitted: 2010-12-23 | ID: 40154

Jill, England

Ford Ka 2010

I bought my new Ford Ka Zetec in June this year and what a big mistake! I have owed two old style Ford Ka’s (a Y reg one and an 06 plate from new) and I loved them both and had no issues what so ever with them. However, Ford had an offer on during May Bank Holiday this year and so I decided to test drive one and liked it. After agreeing an OK deal with the sales guy, I ordered it and part exchanged my old one. Within two weeks of getting it, it felt all wrong! When driving in slow-moving traffic in second gear, even when my foot was totally off the clutch, it "kangarooed" all over the place. It lurches and almost fights against you when you put your foot on the gas. The problem has got progressively worse and I now feel the same thing in third gear at 30/40 miles an hour. The other week when pulling onto a roundabout, I got my clutch to bite, it pulled away and then the engine just died and I staggered out onto the roundabout with a Range Rover narrowly missing my back end. I’ve taken it back to Ford who say that when they hook it up to a laptop, it’s isn’t showing any engine faults and even though another woman in the service reception told me her does exactly the same thing, we were told "Oh, well it’s a Fiat engine not a Ford!". My reponse was I don’t care, I bought it as a Ford and it isn’t right. I hate driving it, and swear at it as I approach it in a car park since I know what a nightmare my journey will be, the minute I pull out of the car park. I have phoned the manager at the Ford garage that I bought it from this morning and have insisted that I am bringing it back this weekend and they must do something with it before I have an accident! DO NOT BUY A NEW FORD KA!!! As I said when I marched out last time - "I knew I should have bought a Mini!". It didn’t go down well in a showroom full of potential Ford customers!! Give me back my old Ford KA anyday!!

I totally agree with you. Touch wood, it has not faulted within the last month or so but I do agree that the clutch is a bit tempremental and sometimes you can never seem to get the bite on the clutch just right and end up bunny hopping, looking like I have just past my test. I miss my old one and will never buy another one!!! - Ian Jackson from England

Please tell me this is not a KA zetec 10. I have just bought one today and pick it up on Tuesday - Lynn Malam from England

Submitted: 2010-11-16 | ID: 40151

Emma Hayward, Dorset

Ford Ka 2009

I love my ka, I got it in march last year (09). I’ve had it just 18 months and I’ve been told today that the spark plugs are compleatly worn and it needs a new lead!! I am not impressed to say the least. The dealer is sorting it out thankfully but it’s not good enough for such a new car. I can only imagine what problems will arise after the 3 year mark.<br /><br />

In response to this, my car has just gone over the 3 year mark and to say I am thoroughly disappointed is an understatement. I have had to have new brake pads, spark plugs, fuel pump, pipes in the engine needed replacing as two have split and the entire exhaust. I also need to get the air con fixed. The condensation that people have mentioned before in previous posts is also a big issue in this car. I am actually starting to get a larger scale problem also as the rust on the car is like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I have just started to get the mayonnaise type gunk in my oil, so this I believe to be a cylinder that has gone. This car is only 3 years old registered in July 2009, warranty expired this year. I am so unhappy with this car, I will not buy a Ford again. - Cant wait to get rid if I’m honest :( Keighley from England

Submitted: 2010-09-20 | ID: 40149

Andrew Robin, Essex

Ford Ka Style 2009

Nice car, but totally useless when it comes to new born babies. After purchasing the car six months ago, Ford now informs me that I am unable to switch front air bag off. Deactivation is an optional extra, that is not what it said on the web site and Ford’s own reviews. Not to worry I can fix it on the back seat with isofix brackets? No I can not! Mothercare instructs my daughter that it would be too impractical with such a small child. Car up for sale.<br /><br />

Well the problem is not with the car, the problem is your own fault... lack of planning... on two accounts... - Donny Killgallon from London

I have a Ford Ka and have had the front passenger air bag deactivated. It cost me £30 - from Yorkshire

Not so Donny... car manufacters are very lacking in info on these vital points!! Hope the lady with the babies got a nice new car - Marianne Garety from Scotland

Submitted: 2010-09-10 | ID: 40145

Pete Cannon, England

Ford Ka Edge 2010

55mpg at 70mph and aircon on handles great much improvement over the old model no road noise great on motorway, just like a small Focus to drive, cheap to insure, great look as well.

Lovely to drive, excellent fuel econemy, like driving on rails. I agree Pete, - they are great value for money :) Kev Dodson from Shropshire

Submitted: 2010-09-10 | ID: 40143

Charlotte Smith, England

Ford Ka 2000

I bought this car as my first car. It’s a great little run about for a girl. Mine has fabulous seat interior and the speakers are very loud, which is awesome. I have been driving for 5years now and still have my ka!! Never failed on me and I’m sure i’ll have it a lot longer. I recommend it to anyone! :)<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 40141

Cazza, Lancashire

Ford Ka 1998

I’m really sorry to say that I have just had to scrap my beloved red S reg KA after 8 great years together. Rest in peace The Weasel. In my opinion these are great cars, cheap to run, hardly any repairs over the years and never ever failed to start 1st time even when left standing for 3 months without moving! Unfortunately i never got round to servicing the poor thing in 8 years and only cleaned the outside maybe twice in all that time! No wonder at only 67,000 miles he has gone to the scrap yard. Like I say I have hardly spent any money on this car over the years, only ususal things - new battery, tyres, at least 2 x exhausts, brakes and the most expensive thing a clutch a few years ago. Unfortunately the body work on my KA was another story and the main reason I had to scrap it, having worked in a supermarket some years ago I seemed to aquire new bumps by the day. The £500 mot bill wasn’t worth it with the body work being in such poor condition and better KA’s are available to buy for £500. So I would definately recommend this car to anyone who wants a cheap reliable car that will just keep on going and be a faithful friend to you, if this is what you’re after then the KA’s the one for you!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-08-21 | ID: 40142

James Barclay, Lanarkshire

Ford Ka 2003

Well the best news first, I bought my ka new in 2003 and its now 7 years old.(45,000miles) A very good buy as never failed the MOT, and still on the original battery and exhaust (stainless)..It has only had two repairs and that was the coil replaced, after driving six hours in the rain, dampness got in and cost me £125, and brakes fixed £120. It’s what I call a cheap and chearful car, for example the brake pads cost £19.50 and I have just replaced them, quite an easy job also you can adjust the handbrake by lifting the cover off inside the car and adjust with a spanner, quite easy do do. It does have some rust which I filled in around the fuelcap and rear lock (common on ka’s and the yellow warning light (engine)stays on (on the dash) but is easily covered up with some black tape (common fault) speakers needed replaced (again common fault) and headlights can steam up but take cap off inside vehicle and dampness dissapears; no major mechanical problems with my ford Ka, a good car but lacks quality but then again easy to fix if you are willing to have a go at fixing it!

Submitted: 2010-08-06 | ID: 40140

Heidi Ford, England

Ford Ka 2004

We bought our KA collection 2 years ago and had endless problems with it. The major factors were the front coil which snapped last year, had to replace the alternator and then 2 months ago the back suspension went while we were driving! Spent hundreds on this car, bad to drive, no power at all for overtaking - stay away do not buy a KA!!!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-20 | ID: 40139

Andy P, Warwickshire

Ford Ka Plus 2010

Our Ka has gone back in to the dealer after 1500miles/2 months. The brakes appear to stick on and it was making a terrible noise. So far the dealer has had the car for one week; waiting for parts from Germany? Not sure excatly what they have done but it appears as though it is a full tear down, they said they had to strip down ther air conditioning as part of the repair?? The dealer said something about a new pedal box? Doesn’t make sense to me. Anyway, we are asking for a full written report before we accept the car back. Has anyone else had similar problems? I did check the VOSA website but the only recall was regarding the rear brakes one year ago, this car is new so it can’t be that fault.<br /><br />

Hi, I bought my KA last year (09) and has just gone in for a secound time due to brake problems apparently something to do with the caliper. For a new car I’m upset that its having these issues - from England

Submitted: 2010-07-06 | ID: 40135

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Ford Ka Zetec 2010

Ford’s KA concept was originally the most successful embodiment of the ’wheel at each corner’ principle since the legendary mould breaking Mini. Its egg shaped design quickly established it as a modern icon, enabling instant recognition, warm familiarity and ready appeal. Ford deserves credit for their boldness in going beyond what, to many, represented a perfect design - and if the origin of the word KA refers to an Egyptian spirit, to what extent have they ensured a smooth transition? The question is - does the spirit of the first KA transfer successfully to the remodelled modern version which shares the same platform as Fiat’s 500. It seems to be an inalienable rule of the universe that small cars have to get bigger and bigger. The new KA is no exception. However, Ford has managed to keep a tight rein on unnecessary expansion and I have to report that there’s no excess in its enhanced accessibility. There’s more room inside and more protection outside - but the whole profile is still commendably tight and looks just right. On first acquaintance one might be forgiven for thinking that the design solution has turned out to be something of a curate’s egg. Gone are the familiar contours: gone that sense of instant recognition. There are styling cues that owe more, perhaps, to contemporary tropes than to the initial KA concept. However, mild disappointment is quickly dispelled once the virtues of the restyling become evident - and for die hard stick-in-the-muds, enough of the old, much loved, KA remains for acquaintance to become rapid and rewarding, with styling statements that are very much NOW. For instance, the rear light binnacles are as strikingly noticeable as they’re intended to be. No-one is likely to ignore the fact that you’re braking or indicating unless they happen to be called Andy and are engaged in the process of exceeding the speed of sound. I was comforted by the sense of a tough outer shell and a cosy, secure interior: an interior moreover, that has a dash of funky fashionability likely to endear it to trendy owners. And for the driver, visibility is better than you’d expect, given the high waistline and aerodynamically conceived contours. The cabin is surprisingly practical and well trimmed. There’s a useful boot and seat backs fold down easily to give extra luggage volume when needed. The Zetec version tested - which costs an eye watering Ł10, 860 (Yes. You did read it correctly. Ł10860! - But thankfully, residuals are good.) Is everything an urban run-around should be, with the facility to transform itself into a compact, economical and smooth motorway package. And while Mother Dinosaur may not try to claim you as belonging to her nest, a passing pterodactyl might want to egg you on to the top speed of around 100mph. thanks to that delightfully enthusiastic, low polluting (emissions are so low that road tax is just Ł35) 1.2 Duratec engine that - despite producing just 68bhp - revs enthusiastically and encourages you to play tunes on the slick shifting five speed gearbox, controlled by a stubby lever mounted on the centre console. All this combines with accurate steering and agile handling to give an involving driving experience to delight the young thrusting driver. If any car today embodies the spirit of fun, the new KA must surely come high on the list. Many KAs will, of course, be bought by sedate ’blue rinse matrons’ who will be charmed by the delightful colour schemes on offer, with colourful stripes aplenty and matching sharks teeth effect on the front grille - so I’m pleased to report that the ride quality is jolly composed and won’t upset their tummies. Whizzing along through a market town I noticed that while people did not instantly recognise it as a KA, they acknowledged it at once as a cute head turner. No farmer wanted to take me in a basket to market but many a hatchback driver wanted to swap seats. Ford certainly hasn’t played chicken with the new design and their courage is rewarded - for the new KA, in my view, is a cock-a-doodle-do of a cracker. After returning my road test vehicle, I happened to find myself attending a local séance in the evening and rapped out a few messages across the ether to my spirit guide - begging him to include one of these irresistible little cars in my next Easter egg or Christmas cracker or whatever. I don’t care: can I have one please?

Submitted: 2010-06-22 | ID: 40138

Sarah, Flintshire

Ford Ka 2000

I bought my KA in January from a local auction for £580. 82k on the clock 2 previous female owners and black. It needed about £200 worth of work doing to it such as, drivers window wouldn’t open, speedometer didn’t work, mileage gauge had stopped working, and the heating didn’t work. The milage needed a part that was £80 so that’s what most of the money was on. Eventually after the snow had cleared we took it out (at this time I was still a ’learner’!) Aside from no heating it was wonderful. We had a seriously cold winter and it started perfectly first time everytime. I decided to do my driving test in it as I found it far more easier to drive than a 2009 Ford Fiesta...It was brilliant. Since January I have done 4,000 miles and not one problem touch wood. Garage said it was in very good nick mechanically and inside it was like new. MOT in march was fine except needed a bit of welding doing underneath. Excellent car and would recommend it to anyone.

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 40137

Rhys, England

Ford Ka Ka3 1997

I’m a 17 year old lad and I own a Ford Ka3 1997. Even though I haven’t passed my test yet I’ve been having a little go in the backins behind my house. I paid 320 quid for mine to find a few little bits wrong with it but it’s gonna cost me in the end about 500 quid to get it on the road. The space I have in the drivers seat is madness, im 6ft1 and quite round (lol) and I still have plenty of room and there is still space for 3 other people. It’s no good if I was to go to hockey in it there would be no room for 4 of us with 4 hockey sticks and 4 hockey bags, but for me to use getting to college and work and home I’m sure it’s gonna be fantastic. My dad said it’s not the worst car he’s ever driven but he still prefers his Vauxall Zafira. A few of my mates say it’s a girl’s car but a car is a car and if it’s low on use of fuel and low on insurance and it gets you from A to B it is a good car. Also, parts are not expensive. Overall I’m happy with it but I’ll probabley be happier when I’ve passed my test and taken it for a proper drive ;)

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 40125

Ian Jackson, Yorkshire

Ford Ka 2010

When I bought my new Ka I thought great, it’s got to be better than the original one and that was good. I was wrong: They forgot to put bulbs in for reversing lights; windscreen wipers judder; stickers on cd player came away; gearstick cover came away; no vanity mirror on passenger visor; all this after 3 weeks !!!!! Anybody else have similar problems?

I got my Ford Ka in October 2009 (Ka studio plus 2009), it had to be taken back to the dealership the day after I pick it up because the engine cut out and a warning light appeared on the dash. They said that they had fixed the problem but when I drove the car the next day the same thing happened. Eventually they discovered that a faulty part had been fitted in the engine and replaced it. Then about 2 months later it started to leak oil. I took it back it get fixed and was told first that they couldn’t find an oil leak but when I told them to keep it until they figured it out a few hours later there was a oil leak and it was now fixed. Guess who has started to get large oil marks on there drive again! The person I bought it off says I am just unlucky and no body else has had any problems with their Ka - charlie Edwards from England

My partner and I bought a new KA back in September 2009 and after 6 weeks of having it the clutch master cylinder went and the clutch either wouldn’t disengage or whilst waiting to pull of the clutch would start to apply itself, so a trip back to the dealer for 17 days and a Ford automotive engineer later we had our KA back, about 4 weeks later we started smelling fumes in the cabin, just assuming that is was the old banger in front spuing out fumes, on filling up the washer bottle I noticed that the top engine breather hose was split hence the fumes in the cabin, so after weeks of waiting for the part to arrive and constant moaning at them the part magically arrived and was fitted, then the washer jet started to malfunction and the one they replaced it with was no better, we have gone for another KA and thankfully this has no problems as yet but I’m always wondering what will be next!!! Safest bet is next time the car is changed a Fiesta will be what’s needed - David Sanderson from Warwickshire

UPDATE: Surprise, surprise the Ka as gone back in yet again spot on 3 months and they’re scratching there heads at the mo - Ian Jackson from Yorkshire

Cannot believe it’s gone in again today for the 3rd radio cd front on in 4 weeks. There are apparently problems with the lacquer, please help as am losing the will to live!! - Ian Jackson from Yorkshire

UPDATE: Going in again for the sixth time, not happy - Ian Jackson from Yorkshire

UPDATE: Going in for a 7th time. It isn’t funny anymore. Ford KA? Uh, Ford KAK! - Ian Jackson from Yorkshire

I have a 2009 KA. I bought it brand new. It has been back several times and I will be going back yet again tomorrow. The clutch stuck. It came with scratches. The gear stick knob came off. It had a banging in the engine which they took my dash out for and padded to stop it! Now my cd player has a dent. And then fumes came in the car. I had a new part and now the same thing is happening a couple of months later! Last time they told me to drive with the windows down when driving! Hardly acceptable in winter and waiting for a part! overall the car is fab, cheap to insurance, good to drive, good cd, everything! Howver just some minor faults! But sometimes I do wish I hadn’t sold my old KA for the new and had waited for the faults to iron out! I am glad I have seen someone else review on the cabin smell as sometimes I think I’m paranoid! - Amu Louise from England

I brought my Ka in May 2009, only had it four months when the inside window screen completely iced up. This has happened every winter and has been in to garages so many times but no-one can find a fault. It went in for the last time on 23 December 2010, got it back on 10 January 2011 with no fix avalible. What a joke. Well I have now taken advice from Consumer Direct and I am taking Ford to the cleaners, I have only done 3,000 on the clock - Carol Lewis from England

Submitted: 2010-04-24 | ID: 40126

Frans Merwe, South Africa

Ford Ka 1.3 Trend 2008

The KA is a wonderful small car but suffers somewhat in the refinement stakes when compared to the Japanese offerings, but then it is cheap to service, insure and run. Ideal town car but not much good for the long distances in RSA from town to town. Very buzzy at high speed. Lights could be improved and front seats could be made more comfortable.

Submitted: 2010-04-12 | ID: 40114

Pamela McGill, Lanarkshire

Ford Ka 2009

I’ve had my 2009 reg ka 9 months, it’s been back to the dealer 4 times, 3 for wiper faults; same fault 3 times wipers clashing and snapping. Now it has been in for 4 weeks for a general electric modulator and it took them 3 weeks to find the fault. I got if from Evan Halshaw in Glasgow, worse service ever. I was told by Evan Halshaw that Ford can’t supply the part so haven’t a clue what’s happening with a car I am paying for that I don’t have. Started with a banging noise then next day when I was indicating my hazards came on and when I touched my electric window button they came on too, then it struggled to start. I’m gutted as I fell in love with the car as soon as a saw it advertised. I’ve had nothing but bother with dealer since 1st week of having car, that’s when the first problem started 1 week into buying, it was only 6 month old when i had it. Never go to Evan Halshaw, Cumbernauld Road in Glasgow, the service is a joke.

Submitted: 2010-03-25 | ID: 40119

Doug Newcomb, Kent

Ford Ka SportKa 1.6 AND 2001 Style 1.3 2004

I bought my first Ka in April 2008, this blue Y-reg 1300 was my first car and was the car I learned to drive in. I’m a big petrolhead and car enthusiast and I deliberatly took the Ka over cars like the 106/Saxo and VW Polo because of the way it drives. The little Ka, even in base-spec like mine will go round bends better than some cars that cost three or four times as much new! Of course, the Ka 1.3 will never be the king of straight-line speed, and if I bought another 1.3 Ka, I would probably go for the 2003-on model, which recieved a new 70BHP 1.3 engine (1996-03 cars have the 60BHP pushrod Endura-E unit that can trace it’s roots back to the Ford Anglia engine of the 60’s). However, that said, if your budget can only stretch to a pre-2003 model, then it’s far from the end of the world. My Ka has the old engine and will happily sit at 70 MPH on the motorway, theres a bit more to give afterwards and the little Ka will max out at about 100 MPH. The Ka makes a brilliant car to learn to drive in, with an easy clutch, good visibility and group 2 insurance (bear in mind that if you’re a 17 year old bloke then its still going to be £1k+ for your insurance. Even on this!). Reliability on my 2001 example has been excellent and I’ve covered about 12000 miles in it since I got it at 23k. For my 18th birthday this Feb, I decided to buy myself a little present and I upped the ante by buying myself a 2004 SportKa with 56,000 miles on the clock. The Sportka came out in 2003 and is the result of Ford shoe-horning its 1.6 litre 100 BHP engine under the bonnet of the little Ka. I have to say, that if you’re serious about having fun, then this is the Ka to go for. It’s got an improved steering and suspension set up, better brakes and a more sumptious interior (with optional leather seats and air-con). The SportKa puts in a very respectable 0-60 time of around 9 seconds, but in the real world its the time it takes to get from 40-70 that really counts, and the SportKa does this so quickly that it can put the frightners up BMW 320 drivers on a regular basis. Through the corners, the SportKa will blow other small hot hatches like the Saxo VTR to kingdom come. My Dad has a new VW Scirocco 2.0 TSi and even he admits that he has to push it to keep up with the SportKa in the bends. The slight downside to this is that the SportKa isn’t as economical as the 1.3. But, thats the price you pay for more power, and in any case, it’s no real gas-guzzler. I still have both Ka’s, I use the SportKa daily for a 75 mile commute. My girlfriend is learning to drive in the 1.3 IMPORTANT- Things to look out for. RUST! Ka’s do have a tendency to get rusty. Look for cars that have been cared for, places to check include the bottom of the boot lid, around the fuel filler cap, and around the bottom of the doors as they stand proud of the side of the car and are prone to stone chipping. Some Ka’s have been known to suffer from water ingress into the ECU (the cars electronic brain that controls the engine) look out for misfiring engines. High mileage Ka’s with the old Endura engine can sound very tappety (clacky sound) this comes with age and theres not much you can do. Listen out for a P or R-reg Ka to drive past you in the street and you might hear what I mean. Whilst on the subject of mileage, pre-03 Ka’s only have 5-digit odometers, so if you come across a P-reg Ka that appears to only have 50,000 on the clock, then check the history, it might turn out to be 150,000! Post-03 cars have LCD screens for odometers which will read up to 999,999 miles. There have been reports of older Ka’s with engines that sieze up. As long as you use the car fairly regularly, then you should’nt experience this. This only seems to be an issue with Endura powered Ka’s. Would I have another? Absoloutley, I thoroughly recommend the Ka and SportKa to anyone in search of a cheap, fun and if you go for the 1.6, fast little car. My Ford dealer has been great with me and I find the running costs excellent. How much to pay? £700-1000. This will get you into the driving seat of an early model Ka. Bear in mind that these cars can be getting on for almost 14 years old now, and they will most likely be a bit (or alot) ropey. Many of these cars will have done alot of miles so insist on a full service history. Very early base-spec cars (’96-97) had no Power Steering, best to steer clear. £1000-2500. The market for Ka’s opens up here and you should be able to pick up a nice pre-03 Ka 1.3 here. Be picky with colour, mileage and spec because base cars dont have a lot of equipment. £2500-£4000. You’ll be able to get an nice post-03 model 1.3 or an early Sportka for around £3k. Very low milage 1.3’s (less than 20k) are around for £4k £4000+ This is the domain of the SportKa and the last 2005-09 registered 1.3’s. These will be the cars on the Ford dealers forecourt and should be immaculate. Dont accept anything less than that.

Exactly the same as I did. I got an 04 Ka style in 2008 and then traded for an 04 sportka last year. I loved my ka and love my sport it and def agree with everything said in your review. I deliberately chose a Ka over clio/corsa/polo etc because of how they are to drive :D - from Lancashire

I had a sport Ka se when they first came out What fun we had with it. I kept it for 2 years, finally changing it for a Red streetka. Moved to Devon, another 2 years of wonderful fun driving across Dartmoor early morning with the roof down, bottom warmed by heated seats and hat on. Fuel bill was high and road tax was £210 but every mile was worth it. We still recall it 3 years later. Finally changed it for a Fiesta Zetec S tdci. I cannot tell you how much time it has spent in the cocal Ford garage, one problem after another. Finally got rid!!!! Tried the new Ka, was very disappointed with it. Finally managed to get a Ford Finale (£3200 under list price). What a bargain!!! Fantastic Ka - every extra apart from leather! It has never been in the garage, apart from 1 service in 2 years, the next is in November. Only 2 colours, all white or all black with a chequered roof. Wonderful, cheap, exciting little Ka. Why ever did Ford go down the route with "Fiat" after the success of the original Ka? I for one wonder. Perhaps the next car Ford produces will hark back to the original Ka. It is just a shame they used the Ka name on this poor impersonator that bears the name on the current model - Martin Smith from Cornwall

Good review Doug - pretty much as good as anything I’ve found on the net. Searching for info as my wife’s keen to get a Ka. So, thanks for your efforts! Keep up the good work - Alisdair Naulls from England

Submitted: 2010-03-04 | ID: 40115

Steve McCabe, Cheshire

Ford Ka 1.3 2000

I purchased a "W" 2000 Ka, one previous owner with full main dealer service history, 40k on he clock, taxed with 9months MOT, 4xnew tyres and back box for £1500 for my daughter as her 1st car. She loves it. Handles like a go-kart and starts 1st time, every time. Then we put it in for an MOT: £500 required, Rust, broken front coil, faulty steering rack with an advisory for front discs and pads. Google Ford Ka problems and read the endless list. Ford should hold their heads in shame. The distress of seeing your daughter crying her heart out because we’d bought a lemon was heartbreaking. I picked up the tab but won’t be buying Ford again!

What do you expect from a 10 year old car? No car lasts forever and £500 is nothing to spend on a car of that age - ka ka from Yorkshire

I think if you google any car for their faults and they all come up with a huge list. I’ve owned 4 used cars in the last ten years and all had very different annoying problems that cost a lot to fix..just a risk you take buying a ’used car. Saying that many forums that I’va read have problems with new cars too - from England

I have bought loads of cars and I have found fords to be the best. You want to buy a vauxhall then you must expect problems - Dean 17 oct 1981 - from

What can I say but snap. Paid £1,600 for my V reg Ka for my daughter, spent nearly as much on welding, coils etc and just been told the steering rack has gone and will cost at least £300. Just read an ad in the local paper offering £225 if you can drive your car into the scrap yard - guess which option will be taken? I shall never buy or recommend a Ka to anyone - from Essex

Submitted: 2010-02-19 | ID: 40120

Roy Privett, Surrey

Ford Ka Ka3 1998

Basically a good, cheap, city car. Needs rubbing strakes on doors to prevent damage in supermarket car parks, a 4 X 4 door bouncing off it can do £500 worth of damage in seconds. Have had trouble with the air flow meter on the injection system, the door locking system can operate all night without warning, leading to a flat battery in the morning, (traced to waterlogged wiring harness in the doors) and the floor can get damp if parked facing downhill in heavy rain. Spark plugs need to be removed on a regulat basis and the threads greased, otherwise they can corrode in the head and snap off, leaving thread in head. Expensive repair! Horn is pathetic, even for town use, totally inadequate for motorways. Bought new and never had any seriopus troubles, although oil filter change is very difficult as a DIY job unless special tool is available. Would cheerfully buy another one, preferably with the more powerful 1.6 Sport engine. Tried the Fiat-based new model which, in my opinion, is nowhere near as good as the original which was miles ahead of it`s time and still looks good, and handles well, even against todays Japanese/European competitors.

Submitted: 2009-12-14 | ID: 40113

T Jackson, Lancashire

Ford Ka Blue 1.3 2009

Firstly my Ka gets its rating from the nippyness, and nothing else. Now for the bad bits. she has been the most expensive car to run I have ever had. Now for the catalogue of problems - apologies to people who are offended or upset, but I think my experiences are worth mentioning. In her first year of purchase she needed a steering grid at the cost of £590 fitted. Quickly followed by a second one ten months later - thankfully the garage had guaranteed the grid for twelve months. (the second one lasted a very lucky 4+ years) Since then I’ve battled with so many problems I could scream. Rust that spreads faster than weeds. The genuine Ford petrol caps failing to lock. After replacing genuine twice, I solved the problem by buying a cheaper off the shelf version. Exhausts snapping in two just over the warranty mark, thankfully when the third ’snapped’ I had found a small local garage who agreed to weld it for me till a replacement was really needed. Even thought the rest of the exhaust was fine, it snapped again in a totally different position while driving on a motorway and on the way to meet my new bosses for lunch - the shame. Electrical fault with the doors - the thing kept unlocking itself. The first time I replaced at (again not cheap) thankfully the second time happened was after I had met my local trusted garage, who offered to pop a new one in or he suggested a cheaper option, I could go home, chop the wiring in the passenger door therefore stopping the loop. The heater stopped working. Again I paid the first time it happened then when it went the second time I just wore gloves in winter. Eventually the blower itself decided to work on all settings just 10% of the time - the rest of the time, just the highest setting would work. Electric windows failing to open/close intermitently. Windscreen seal leaking - finding this out in a rain storm and 250 miles from your home and your local trusted garage isn’t pleasant, and also proved quite pricey to sort. Then finally a short in the electrics at one in the morning that involved a crew of 7 firemen and one of the boys in blue. Since my Ka finally gave up the ghost, and obsessesed with my seriously bad luck especially when so many sites seemed to say that these were really reliable cars - I decided to trawl the internet to see if I could find a different story. Typing in Ford Ka common faults gave me the answer, and over 40,000 local hits. Most of the problems with my Ka seem to be classed as common faults. Just not so common to people like me who have just a basic knowledge of cars. Would I buy another - daft question really, I have had such a nightmare with this car I’m seriously considering trading in my driving licence for a weekly bus pass.

Submitted: 2009-09-30 | ID: 40112

Adrian Harrison, England

Ford Ka 2004

Purchased new in 04 and I still own it. I put CD player in and it broke, so put original radio/cassette back in. The dealer serviced at Ford and have had no problems, driven all over UK and it performed well, only niggle is suspension creaks a little and paintwork showing age and plastic bumpers are fading a little, but just needs a little TLC. Over all for a purchase price of 5K new and little maintenance it was bargain buy. As for being a girl’s car it ain’t, but you do get Neanderthal man complete with bad attitude trying to cut you up thinking it only has a 50cc engine, but when the 1.3cc engine complete with sensible driver holds its own, they lose their temper and throw toys out of pram and play horn honking. Ka: a design classic and fun car.Variant: base model. Year Of Make: This car was leased

Submitted: 2009-07-27 | ID: 40212

Gemma Kelland, Hertfordshire

Ford Ka 2003

I have to say this little car is reliable. My first car, a 53 plate, bought 2 years ago for £4000. The only problems I’ve had with it is that my air con kept going boiling hot on me... and the passenger side foot well was soaking with water. My dad later found out that the air con was blocked and pulled out a lot of dirt and leaves and re connected the pipe to the draining system at the bottom of the car. I have had 2 oil leaks as well!!! I’ve also had problems with the locks, being that I couldn’t open my car from the drivers side, and having to get that repaired. I’ve also needed the obvious tyres etc. However, I now have a creaking sound when turning right, so I know there’s is a problem there!!! The positives are that its started every time, and I’ve not had any problems on long journeys!

I’m interested to know if any other problems have developed with your Ka, as I am about to take on a Ka which has suffered a very similar history of problems to the one yours has. Thankyou - Melanie H from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-02-18 | ID: 40213

Alex Cooke, England

Ford Ka collection 2001

I bought this car 4 years ago for £3000, and I have easily spent £1000 a year on repair since then. I have replaced all of the suspension yearly, brakes and disks too! the interior is a bit on the cheap side even for an entry level car. The air con work fine in winter but when i turn for its cold settings in summer it leaks water into the passenger and driver footwell. The locks are another annoyance they keep sticking and for the last year I have not been able to unlock the car from the drivers side. I would give it 1 star but on the plus side it has always started first time and never broken down on a journey. It’s just a shame its such an uncomfortable one.

Submitted: 2009-02-06 | ID: 40215

D Moore, County Down

Ford Ka 2007

Just got a 2007 Ka, 1,400 (yes, one thousand four hundred) miles for £3000!!! It was a write-off but has been fixed and is now like brand new. Very happy! Great wee car!

Submitted: 2009-02-02 | ID: 40216

Shaun Beautyman, Yorkshire

Ford Ka 1997

I bought my 1997 1.3 Ka for a mere £450, it was extremely cheap and it was to suit me perfectly with my money income being low. I thought that the car would only last a couple of months before it would need replacing, but I’ve had the Ka for 6 months now, I’ve been travelling at least 20 miles a day and its still in full working order, it just wants to keep going. The fuel consumption is excellent, it takes only£30 to fill and can get around 300 miles out of it, it doesn’t have many luxury features but it still handles very well and I have found that it can squeeze into the smallest of spaces. When people look at it from the outside it may throw them off but when in the car it’s amazing how much room there is, with any 3 door car the back seats are cramped up but I sit nearly all the way back in the drivers seat and there’s still plenty of room in the back. I think the perception of the Ka being a girls car is nonsense, since buying mine I’ve noticed a few of the local lads investing in them. I think men are just scared what people will think of them if they drove one. Overall I would strongly recommend the Ka to people on a low income or first time drivers, they are BRILLIANT!

Submitted: 2008-11-03 | ID: 40228

D Gridley, Surrey

Ford Ka Zetec Climate 2008

For starters Ford had a deal so the purchase price was £5995 OTR, very good when you consider this has ABS, PS, Climate, coloured bumpers/spoiler and all the accessories. Overall a very good little motor for the price though I wouldn’t pay full whack for it. Handling is exceptionally good with enough from the engine to make it fun. The finish/quality is not brilliant, especially when you think that Ford have made this model for 12 years now, I would expect all the fit and finish to be ironed out to perfection. Generally a good fun car that can easily put a smile on your face and would be very good for a first time driver as it is so sure footed. Have spent an extra £500 making it look right. This has taken the form of silver Ford stripes over the top, SportKa leather, colour coded instrument surround, eyebrows on the headlights, mudflaps all round and a different tailpipe. Why do all this? I prefer the original Ka shape to the SportKa but after many years in design I see things that just don’t look quite right. At the end of the day it still only cost me £6500 and people tend to walk past it that little bit slower to have a nose. Would I recommend a Ka to a friend. Yes. Expect to have a budget small car and you’ll be happy. If you want better build quality spend more on a Japanese motor and put up with the bland styling you’ll get.

Submitted: 2008-10-06 | ID: 40229

Sheana, England

Ford Ka 1.3 Collection 2002

I purchased my little Ka just two weeks ago and am loving it! Its very nippy around town, easy to park and a joy to drive. Love the smart interior and the metallic paintwork. Would definitely purchase another one. Ka’s rock!

Submitted: 2008-07-21 | ID: 40227

Dominic Colgan, Essex

Ford Ka 2000

I bought a W reg KA recently and while I like its good handling, excellent gearbox and lively engine there are somethings I distinctly don’t like. 1/ I find the accelerator pedal and the brake pedal too close together which can mean you hit both pedals by mistake which could have lethal consequences. The accelerator should be further to the right but I think the "curves everywhere design" doesn’t allow this. 2/ Changing a headlight bulb is a nightmare and a mechanic even has extreme difficulty. The normal person will find it impossible (I kid you not). 3/ The "curves everywhere" design may look cute from the outside but prevents accessories having a flat surface to mount on. Map compartments are inadequate. The hidden "glove compartment" is ridiculous). 4/ The floor seems to have little indents suitable for nothing except perhaps putting a can of coke in. 5/ The horn is very insensitive and has to be pressed hard to work. Not what is required when you have a myopic old lady coming at you on the wrong side of the road which happened to me in Colchester. 6/ According to the previous owners service notes the brakes were getting too hot and it has now failed the MOT on every aspect of braking including the handbreak. 7/ The doors open and lock in a peculiar way which I suppose has the virtue of fooling an opportunist thief. 8/ Don’t forget to make sure you have a key for the lock nuts on the wheels and bring it with you every trip or it could be expensive if you get a puncture miles from home. This is my first Ford and I think they should know better as they have been building budget cars longer than everyone else. Ford should realise that cute design has its place but not at the expense of practicality and safety.

Submitted: 2008-05-14 | ID: 40226

Alice Vitori, Cheshire

Ford Ka 1.3 Studio 2006

I love my little Ka. It’s a car with bags of personality and even though it’s been around a while the shape still looks funky and makes it stand out. Good, solid and reliable and doesn’t cost me the earth to run.

Submitted: 2008-04-21 | ID: 40224

Tom Balmer, Durham

Ford Ka 1998

My wife’s KA has been an excellent buy. Very little has it ever needed repairing. I put two new tyres and a new battery on it a couple of weeks ago and then found that the air-flow meter needed replacing ( approx.£150). As it’s getting a bit long in the tooth now we decided to look for a replacement. The best deal is £1000 trade-in for a new KA Zetec Climate Panther black and fully kitted out - £5999 at Holloways Ford near Durham. It’s a brilliant deal - picking it up on Friday. We’d recommend a KA for all seasons !!!

Submitted: 2008-03-27 | ID: 40225

Colin Lewis, Bridgend

Ford Ka 2007

I bought a Ka on the weekend for work and for running around in. I took it for a test drive and I was very impressed, part exchanged for a 02 Vauxhall Agila and got a one year old car for £3000!! 13000 miles on the clock.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 40222

Charlene Simcock, England

Ford Ka 2004

The Ford Ka is excellent as it is easy to drive because it's small but big enough for the children to get in. It's reliable, cheap to insure and cheap to run.

Submitted: 2008-02-27 | ID: 40223

Dan Gladwin, Powys

Ford Ka 1.3 Style 2007

An excellent car, suitable for almost any purpose, big enough for the kids but small enough to make it easy for the wife to park. A good choice for those of us on a budget.

Submitted: 2007-10-31 | ID: 40221

Adrian Hall, Shropshire

Ford Ka 1.3i Studio 2007

What can I say, Its Fun, Reliable, Cheap to repair, Cheap to Insure and Cheap to run with MPG ranging from circa 60mpg at a constant 56mph. I have had and driven many cars as I work within the car industry at Acorn Finance. I would say the Ford Ka offers excellent value for money. Starting with the Studio model, specification includes: 5000 Radio/Cassette, Anti-Lock Brakes, Driver Airbag, High L Brake Light, Immobiliser, PAS, Rear Head Restraints, Solid Paint, Split Rear Seat, TicToc Upholstery. For further details visit your Local dealer and or go to the Manufacturers website.

Submitted: 2007-10-02 | ID: 40220

Michael Taylor, Cheshire

Ford Ka 1.3 Luxury 2007

Outstanding little car with bags of character and great fun to drive. Cheap to run, with inexpensive servicing costs. Having driven this car many times around central London and also up on numerous driving tours of Scotland, it has coped with every driving situation presented, has never let me down, and I can only recommend it. One word of caution, though - it IS more of a 2+2 than a real 4 seater for adults!

Just purchased a Ford Ka luxury 2003 model, having had many so called decent cars eg. Saab, SEAT, Honda, VW, Renault. This is cheap (£2,500), stylish and all anyone really needs in this artificially hyped materialistic car world we live in. It’s nippy and comfortable. Great car - Phil Howe from England

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 40218

Mica Uknaija, London

Ford Ka 1.3 3 dr 2007

This is the perfect car for getting about around town. It’s cheap to run and insure and looks great. I had a Fiat before my Ka but would never go back to one now.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 40217

• A response has been made to Mariln (16/12/2012 20:39:25)
  • A response has been made to Arvinder Hallen (24/05/2012 21:37:11)

• Mary-anne McCrow's question has been answered: "Either tyre pressure or steering rack I suspect. - Dangerous Dave from Nottinghamshire' '..." (31/03/2014 15:49:06)
  • Waugh Ali's question has been answered: "Are you still there? Do you need a lift? - Steve from England' '..." (24/03/2014 17:03:45)

Ford Ka

1.2 Zetec - The previous Ka had been in production since 1996 and proved a roaring success for Ford. Sharp looks, practicality, immense affordability and go-kart-like handling made the blue oval’s baby a great choice, new or used, for new drivers, pensioners and everyone in between. So, 13 years on, the next ge [...]

Road Test Reports Says 3.5 star ratingFull Report