Ford Fusion consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Fusion

Ford Fusion consumer reviews by year of make:2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Ford Fusion consumer car reviews

david Price, Kent

Ford Fusion 2005 - 2010

I bought my 2007 Fusion with just over 9,000 miles on the clock. A slight judder on acceleration or going up a hill became apparent. This fault would manifest itself very intermittently, sometimes not for 100 miles and then several times in the next few miles. It was worse after being stuck in a hold up on the motorway. When the traffic cleared it jerked badly for the first few hundred yards after moving off at normal speeds, then cleared and was fine again. This shudder is best described as being like driving over a bump in the road. The engine just seems to misfire for a split second. This fault got progressively worse and became more frequent. At one point it was doing so badly I put my foot to the floor but there was no response whatever from the engine, the fault then cleared and the car drove normally. I took it into a Ford dealer for a service and to see if they could find this fault. On the way there the engine lost most of its power and the amber engine system warning light came on along with the red led with a message in the display saying consult handbook. While going up the kerb to park outside the dealers the engine stalled and when I restarted it the light was out and it revved normally. The garage could find no fault when they connected their computer system and re-programmed the injectors along with the gold service. When driving home the initial shudder was still there. The next day when I started the engine it was rough and within 200 yards the warning light was back on and the engine would not rev above 2,000 rpm. Another slow drive back to the Ford dealer. This is my second Ford, the other being an Orion years ago. It will be my last as as soon as this fault is cured, (if it ever is). Modern Fords clearly rely on too much rubbish electronics.

We are having the exact same problem with a Ford Fusion 09 1.4 tcdi. I'm hoping they fixed the problem for you. Can you tell me what the problem was ? - craig thomas from Caerphilly

Submitted: 2014-09-11 | ID: 102982

Stuart Regler, Lincolnshire

Ford Fusion + 1600 TD 2008

Brought new in 2008 now has 76,000 on the clock. The average fuel consumption is 65mpg, this drops dramatically if supermarket fuel is put in. The only thing that has gone wrong is a broken drivers side front spring. It drives just as well full as empty. A very much underrated car.

Submitted: 2014-01-05 | ID: 40070

Linda Bell, Renfrewshire

Ford Fusion 1.6 TDC+ 2006

Bought car having only 1 previous owner in 2011. It has never failed me. Loads of ’extras’ on the + model too - heated front window, electric power-folding side mirrors, 6 change CD player built into dashboard, tinted rear windows and more. Extremely spacious car without being too big. Very easy gear change and simple to park. Best of all is cost of road tax - £30 a year. You can’t beat that! My only criticism is that it looks a bit outdated. But who cares? I don’t see the outside of the car when I’m driving it!

Submitted: 2013-09-28 | ID: 40071

Ian Strangward, Vale of Glamorgan

Ford Fusion Fusion 2 1.4 petrol 2005

Bought from an independent Ford dealer with 12000m on the clock, the only problem has been a broken front driver’s side spring, no doubt caused by the rubbish local roads! While under warranty it was serviced by Ford garages, since then I have changed oil and filter every six months spring and autumn. It had a new cambelt, tensioner and auxiliary belt changed at 57000m due to me being fussy about maintenance, it is currently indicating 68000m and has never failed to start or given any cause for concern. As I do mainly local runs, the fuel is used roughly at the rate of around 38 mpg, this rises to around 43 mpg with some out of town driving. A very versatile car, I have even managed to carry a full size bath in it back from B&Q! I kid you not! I am now considering the 1.6 tdci for more mpg.

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 40062

Eleanor Allen, London

Ford Fusion 2009

My Fusion has an ongoing problem with the E.A.C.

Submitted: 2013-03-24 | ID: 40069

Paul Windle, Yorkshire

Ford Fusion 2004

Semi-auto. Rubbish! Never again.

Submitted: 2013-01-28 | ID: 40068

Geoff Kelly, England

Ford Fusion 1.4 Fusion 2 2005

The most unrelirable car that I have owned. I purchased this car June 2011 with 37,775 miles on the clock from a Ford dealer, by 45,000 miles it has had a new coil, throttle valve and map sensor at a cost of £828 at a independant Ford garage. Then in June this year at 44,500 miles it needed a new lambarda sensor, which cost £228. During the dealer’s warranty at 6 months a new clutch was fitted due to it sticking and making the reverse gear difficult to select. The car is fine to drive and I like the higher seating position, although it does not like being driven at thirty miles an hour in third gear. If this is the best Ford can make then it is my last one. I have owned six Fords before, but I feel that cars have got far to reliant on electronics to be reliable. Mine is a 1.4 petrol.

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 40067

Phil Brammeld, Ireland

Ford Fusion Fusion 3 1.4tdci 2004

We have owned this car for nearly 3 years and it has been reliable, although we have replaced a few thing like injector seals, front driver side coil spring and an air flow metre; the car had lost all power with no warning lights. On the whole though it is good to drive. The ride is a bit jiggly and thehandling is a bit dodgy especially in the wet, but fuel economy is very good and it has a decent spec. We would happily buy another one.

I have had my Fusion 1.4TDCI since new (2003). It now has 168,000 miles on the clock, drives well, no major work done apart from new brake pads, shoes, tyres and can belt at 100,000. I service the car myself every 10,000 miles with new oil and filter, that’s it!! Still runs lovely, same clutch and average of 52 miles to the gallon. Best car I have ever owned for reliability and running costs - John Holden from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2012-10-09 | ID: 40065

Ivie Davies, Spain

Ford Fusion Urban 4 2008

Excellent design spoilt by very bad build quality and PDI to the point that the side repeaters were different, one clear glass the other side orange. On delivery the wheels were not balanced; the side rubbing strip came off and the panel between the windscreen and bulkhead did not fit. This all in the first two weeks of ownership. Love Ford audio, Bluetooth, auto lights and wipe. Now the boot switch has failed that indicates ’Boot Open’ on the display.

I agree 100%. I have similar problems myself with boot actually closed but indicating it’s still open on dashboard. Any quick (cheap) repair before taking it to local dealer? - Donald Vella from Malta

Submitted: 2011-08-26 | ID: 40063

Thomas Hegarty, Hampshire

Ford Fusion 1.4 Semi Auto Fusion 3 2003

Just bought this a couple of weeks ago with only 25,000 miles on it. Very impressed with the "manual" gear change, so smooth and the auto like wise. I do hope this is a durable set up, if it is I will be greatly impressed. I like the boot space and easy access to the cabin due to it’s height. I think the colour scheme is poor; charcoal grey outside and lighter shages inside...shrieks "BEIGE and BORING". The obligatory grey facia panel doesn’t help! I feel it is substantial and well built, solid clunk on the door closing. The mirror seems too low on the windscreen, I feel I want to be looking under it all the time incase I’ve missed something. Obtaining 5th gear in auto could be quicker to assist with the fuel economy, it is probably set up for town driving and a longer gap to get you up there on the duel carriageway or motorway. This is replacing a 1.2, 16v Corsa Club which was just a little underpowered for towing my micro caravan. I think the noticeably different pulling power of the 1.4 will make those BIG hills a doddle now. Only given three stars as I haven’t owned it long enough to make a full personal assesment. Oh before I go, the reversing sensors were a nice surprise, didn’t know they were working!

Submitted: 2011-07-01 | ID: 40061

J Cworth, United States of America

Ford Fusion 2010

I just bought my Fusion in March. I love the technology. This car drives very smoothly as well!

But model in America is different to UK isn’t it? - from England

Submitted: 2011-05-19 | ID: 40057

Jonathan, Norfolk

Ford Fusion 1.4 2 2004

I needed a car that I could use in the city for my work (lots of short runs) and be able to cover 600 miles in one go for my trips abroad. The Fusion handles both these jobs very well even though its the 1.4 model. I think part of this is how well the gearing has been thought out. Ford have such a massive engineering background and it shows in the way the car drives. To get the most out of the car I run it with the tyres pumped up to full load all the time, the trade off is a harder ride but it makes the handling and stability very good. There’s plenty of space in what is a small car and the boot especially is a good size. A Fusion is consistently one of the most reliable Fords and I, like most of the reviewers here really like it. A 5 star award because this is a tough, dependable and very well engineered car.

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 40059

Graeme Somerville, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Fusion 1.4tdi style 2006

Drove this car for a year and a half and it was fine then the problems began. First I had aj uddering when accelerating, my fuel rail was replaced this sorted the car for 5 months. Then the problem I had came back with a vengeance, this time the orange light with an exclamation mark began to flash. After 2 or so diagnostic checks I eventually had to have the fuel filter 4 injectors fuel pump and egr valve replaced to fix the problem. I got it back yesterday £1600 lighter in the wallet and that was done at a small garage, I could not afford Ford prices. What a disaster, hope nobody out there experiences the stress I have had to go through with this car. As soon as my loan is paid off I’m launching it. Would never ever buy a Ford again.

I bought my 2007 1.4 TDCi Fusion with 9,000 on the clock It soon developed this intermitant fault where by it would shudder for a split second when under load accelrating or going up a hill. It would drive 100 miles and not do it then it would do it every few miles. At one point when it was doing it quite badly I puit my foot to the floor and nothing happened, no acceleration at all. It got progressively worse, and I took it into a Ford dealer. On the way there the amber engine system fault light came on along with the red warning light. It lost most of its power and would not run above 2,000 rpm and acceleration was almost none existant The engine stalled while reversing into the Ford dealers and when I started it the light was out and the engine reved up normally. Fords could not find any fault on their computer system. they reprogrammed the injectors and I drove it home. Next day started the engine , it ran very roughly and within 200 yards the same fault appeared Car driven slowly back to the Ford garage. I am awaiting to see what they find this time, as I left the engine running with the fault showing on the warning lights. As soon as it is fixed I am selling it I will not be buying another Ford , that's for sure. - david Price from Kent

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 40060

Sidney Parker, Staffordshire

Ford Fusion 2010

I had a mobility Ford Fusion Zetec 1.6 Automatic. It is very noisy to drive, I have got to take it back to have the power steering checked because of the noise. Had the car 6th December 2010 but the engine is that noisy it seems like I’ve had it years. Wish I stayed with Vauxhall!

Submitted: 2010-12-22 | ID: 40055

David Frew, Ayrshire

Ford Fusion 2007

Bought the car at one year old, extremely happy with the size, boot, etc. Had bad accident in August this year and sadly it was declared total loss, but on the good side, considering the extent of the accident, we walked out with minor injuries, the car inside was immaculate so from a safety point I am going for another Fusion. I would highly recommend this car.

Submitted: 2010-09-28 | ID: 40056

Les Abbott, Gloucestershire

Ford Fusion 1.6 TDCi + 2008

We do in excess of 24,000 miles a year. This is the 2nd Fusion we have owned since June 2008. Bought as a low miles Ford Direct car like its previous incarnation (an 07 model) it has been faultless. This one has the rare ESP which transforms the handling and gives you side airbags as well. Expect around 60mpg and adequate performance from the 1.6TDCi engine. Avoid the 1.4 diesel if you do lots of miles as an 06 Fiesta we owned with that engine normally only managed 50mpg and struggled when laden to pull away cleanly from the lights. Sadly due to an expanding family we are moving on to a C-Max 6 months earlier than our normal change point, but I would not hesitate to recommend this vehicle as a great everyday tool. Look out for a Ford Direct Car as they are normally very highly specced (ours also has leather, bluetooth and reversing sensors), and a warranty which is better than the standard New Car warranty.

Submitted: 2010-04-22 | ID: 40054

Brenda Nicholson, Northumberland

Ford Fusion Fusion 2 Diesel 1.4 TDCi 2002

I have owned this car from new - being an ex motibility car for my husband which I bought when he died. It has been the best little work-horse I have owned, and has never let me down in 6.5 years and I intend to keep it until it drops!! For the last two years it has also been used as a tow car for a very small caravan and manages this adequately. It has had one change of tyres, no major repairs, and is still on the original exhaust after 41,000 miles. I would recommend this car to anyone.

Please don’t recommend this car to people, they are terrible, terrible things. You are very lucky to have had no problems with yours - Dan Miltsem from England

Submitted: 2009-07-17 | ID: 40072

Ray Fuller, Kent

Ford Fusion Diesel 2003

Bought my Fusion in 2003 and 47,000 miles on the clock. A very underrated car. Absolutely reliable with no faults in 5 yrs and not even needed a replacement bulb. The diesel engine is economical (64.2 MPG combined) and performs well in all conditions. Amazingly, it seems just as happy going up hill with 5 as with one. Loads of space and a pleasure to drive.

Submitted: 2008-04-16 | ID: 40074

Paul Shelbourne, Cheshire

Ford Fusion 2002

We have had our Focus for a couple of years now and it handles most surfaces well with the steering responding to my every request. It is quiet enough engine wise and even inside the car external noise seems minimal. The Focus seems well put together although I find the dashboard on the passenger’s side a little uneasy on the eye. Being able to move the driver’s seat up and down electrically (via a button on the side of the seat), is especially useful when having to make all the necessary adjustments after my wife has been driving. Rear vision is excellent when reversing, with no obstructions. Although there is good headroom, my wife informs me that the Focus is not very comfortable when travelling as a rear passenger, as the suspension seems to struggle (and no it’s not the size of my wife that causes the problem). Overall the Focus has proved to be reliable for me (up to now) and the running costs have been reasonable.

Submitted: 2008-01-16 | ID: 40076

Marion Ward, Gloucestershire

Ford Fusion 1.4 tdi zetec climate 2007

I bought this car to fit my lifestyle and it certainly ticks all the boxes it looks at home on the country lanes, and in the town holds the road and pulls well up the hill, its roomy comfortable, takes me and my three dogs in comfort (and style) with the tinted privacy glass tto the rear they look like celeb pooches. Its leather upholstrey is a luxury I decided to reward myself with as its something Ive always wantd. Its easy to park, the rear parking sensors are practical and audible. The blue tooth sytem makes business on the move safe and legal. I dont agree its a fiesta on stilts as someone wrote. To me its a a classy, yet practical car and I would best describe it as a Ford "For all reasons all seasons!!!

How did you find a Fusion with tinted windows? I can’t find one anywhere. Please help - Angela Woodhead from England

Submitted: 2007-11-26 | ID: 40077

Sandra Bullock, Nottinghamshire

Ford Fusion 1.4 Style 2007

I had a Fiesta before the Fusion. This car cost more, but is not really much better. Quite spacious & a nice enough drive. I purchased mine used from a car supermarket so paid a reasonable price. Basically it’s a 4x4 Fiesta!

Submitted: 2007-10-26 | ID: 40075

• "I have 1.4 automatic fusion .noticed that when it goes from first to second it had a few seconds delay in between meaning the car revved high and had..." (Jason duncan, 14/12/2014 18:07:27)
  • "My ford fusion cuts off while driving on gear 5. Ford fusion 1.4 petrol semi auto. Power went off, failed to start until a power booster was used. H..." (A Obi, 13/12/2014 02:51:49)
  • "My fusion diesel feels like it is missing when its idling, its fine when driving, but when in neutral at the lights the rev drops down by 1 and it fe..." (jem, 07/12/2014 17:52:26)
  • "hi all, i have ford fusion 1.4(petrol) 2005 model car.Several times in the last few days, the engine of my car died while driving on the road. All ti..." (matthew, 30/11/2014 20:08:58)
  • "my headlight on the driver side just stop working, i check the wires, but i can't figure it out. help..." (gina, 10/11/2014 23:12:01)

• Richard Ogbuka's question has been answered: "It might be neither. You can get smells from the air conditioning too. - Reg Vernon from Staffordshire' '..." (08/12/2014 00:33:35)
  • Richard Ogbuka's question has been answered: "The nearest equivalent in the UK car market is the Vauxhall Meriva. Both were launched at about the same time and have similar specifications. The mod - Reg Vernon from Staffordshire' '..." (06/12/2014 22:11:28)

Toyota Aygo