Ford Focus C-MAX consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Focus C-MAX

Ford Focus C-MAX consumer reviews by year of make:2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Ford Focus C-MAX consumer car reviews

kim, West Midlands

Ford Focus C-MAX 2004 - 2007

I bought the car 3 weeks ago. It wouldn't start yesterday, anti theft had kicked in due to the boot not being properly closed the night before. Now I can't start it and I`m not sure what to do? I wish I had really read reviews before purchasing it as I'm not impressed one bit with the car. Any suggestions how to disable the anti theft device? I have no transport now.

Submitted: 2014-06-30 | ID: 98706

Patrick Healey, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 Titanium Petrol 2009

Three+ years old with 17000 miles on the clock and one previous owner. For: It’s quiet, comfortable, spacious, and handles well for a for small people carrier. Against: It has very poor fuel economy. I am an ex police driving instructor - I drove 60 miles on the M5 north, late evening in light traffic at a constant 60mph on the flat and a little quicker on downhill stretches. Driving as though with bare feet and broken glass on the brake and throttle returned 41mpg! 200 miles at 70mph returned 32mpg. Suburban, not inner city use returnes very low 20s mpg. I intend to have ECU remapped in an attempt to improve on the above. My 14 year old MB 230 SLK returns similar or better mpg. Disappointing.

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 39957

Les Riley, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2007

As a garage owner and an owner of a C-Max 1.6 diesel, which was bought with 14,000 on the clock and is now has 59,000, I have to say it is in need of serious repair and I would not wish one on anyone. Ours is an automatic and is now at the point where it just does not want to move; when you try to put it into gear the engine stalls, brilliant! This is not the first C-Max to do this, as it happened to a friend of mine whose car had only 53K miles on it and had to have a new gearbox put in - the car isn’t worth much more than the cost of a new gearbox! So all I can say to anyone out there is if you have an automatic please be very wary when you get around the 50-60,000 mile mark. Also, the rear electronic braking system is a pain in the backside, believe me I have done them a few times and when you replace the pads on the rear the electronics don’t like to work straight away, you have to play around with it. So when the man in the garage says the rear brakes were a pain then please try and believe him.

Submitted: 2013-01-06 | ID: 39956

Claire, Sussex

Ford Focus C-MAX 2005

I bought this car 3 months ago, which suddenly stopped as I was driving along a busy road. Transmission malfunction came up on the screen. The AA was unable to start it, so towed it to a garage who said the gearbox was shot to pieces. The car has only done 47,000 miles and the cost to repair is £2500. Ford and the car dealer deny any liability. I would not even give this car a star.

Submitted: 2012-11-25 | ID: 39955

Adrian, Kent

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 Zetec 2008

Like everyone else who bought a C-Max I was after a family car with good economy and trouble free motoring, hoping Ford would have focused on reliability and value for money. Since owning the car I have had the rear windsreen leak, which Ford did repair for free. The radio never keeps the correct date, the radio rattles, the carpets do not fit properly, most of the dash panels rattle and now I have a water leak turning the passenger footwell into a water feature. The car’s going to the garage to rectify the aforementioned, but I have lost all confidence in the car with its sluggish performance and poor build. Now I cannot wait to finish each journey and I`ll be selling up as soon as I can afford another one. One more note: Never take your car to a Ford main dealer for service or repair - you’re better off taking it to a pet shop!

Submitted: 2012-06-08 | ID: 39954

Mark Chilvers, Norfolk

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCI Ghia 2004

Much as I want to love my CMax I can’t have a car that just refuses to start and drains the battery charge like the Chancellor does the economy (little bit of politics there!!). Bought second hand in Sept 2009, it has been fine until the start of this year. In January it needed four new brakes discs; OK, the originals were still on so I took that with a pinch. Later in Jan the power disappeared on the way home from work, which was diagnosed as being due to the aa alternator (again, original still on so breathed deeply and carried on). Now, six weeks later no power after being used the previous day. I have been told to try a new battery, which  worked for a week and then died again. There is no battery charge and the instrument display is telling me it’s -60C outside (only in my bank account I think). I’m more than frustrated now and just want rid of the damned thing.

I have the exact same problem now with mine and its doing my head in!! I was told to take fuse box out from behind the glove box and put it into the hotpress in the house for a couple of days cause it has got wet!! Before my car stopped going the fuse box was making a lot of clicking noises before you would of went to start it! Can anyone help as have been told it is better to scrap the car now!! - John Hamilton from County Londonderry

Submitted: 2012-03-18 | ID: 39959

Martyn Stribling, England

Ford Focus C-MAX Titanium 2008

Bought this car new in 2008 to replace my 55 reg C-Max. I liked the previous car, but this is awesome! The 2.0 Diesel is so powerful it’s acceleration is frighening. Superbly quiet, and apart from a recall to check a hose (no fault found) it’s been perfect in every way. It easily hits 58 mpg on a long run, and it is so comfortable. A very quiet car, apart from a slight rattle that comes from the radio. Upon investigation I found that it’s the actual Sony unit that "buzzes" when the engine is cold. But, then again, you can’t hear it when the radio is on so it’s only a minor niggle. It’s now coming up to 4 years old and it’s still on the original tyres. Apart from new wiper blades its only needed its required services and still drives like new. I won’t be parting with this gem!

Submitted: 2012-01-16 | ID: 39958

Helen Keeble, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2006

Our 5 drive AUTO stopped suddenly with no warning, as if it had crashed!

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 39927

Bridget Fletcher, Northumberland

Ford Focus C-MAX 2009

My first new car and I have loved it, up until its second service. It went into garage with no problems, but was told that the tyres needed replacing as they were dangerously worn on the front. I wasn’t sure about this so I said I would wait and see. The engine was making a squeaky noise when I got car home, and the tyres were worn. I took the car back in and was told the squeak was a ’out of warranty’ problem. Although I agreed to pay to fix it they managed to get it done under warranty anyway, also 2 new tyres were fitted and the tracking was done. After getting it home again, I noticed a knocking on the front suspension when driving over bumps (and there are plenty of them.) I took it in to be told it needed a new shocker on the front with only 20,000 miles on the clock! I was shocked (excuse the pun!) After much arguing and phone calls, Ford agreed to pay 90% of cost of replacing both shockers and now am awaiting for the dealer to phone to say car is ready, so we will see what happens from here!

Submitted: 2011-07-06 | ID: 39926

Ria, Greece

Ford Focus C-MAX 2005

This car is not at all reliable, I bought it new and had it for 5 years and I encountered: 4 times dangerous steering wheel problems, 3 times problems with the aircondition pump, and once a leakage with the coolant, always without any indication, so I had to have the car always at the garage. Unfortunately aftersales and technicians don’t help at all, it is very disappoiniting.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-05-25 | ID: 39948

Mikki Mack, Nottinghamshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1600 LX 2006

Bought pre registered/new. Generally a good workhorse, no mechanical problems enginewise, but front tyres tend to need replacing fairly often. I do 10,000 miles/year. I noticed a "jiggle" coming through the seat when driving and took it to Ford dealers, but no better. I went to a small local tyre garage and they rebalanced all wheels, which were out, checked tracking, fitted one new tyre (which I knew of) and all for the cost of 1/2 tank petrol. Brill!! I do not bother with dealers anymore. I also use a smal local service garage, again brill, but of course would have to go to dealers for any failings on computer systems. I bought this C-Max after reading reports on handling, smooth rides, etc., but I don’t agree, the motorway rides are yuk. I would now probably go for a used Fiesta or leave Ford totally.

Submitted: 2011-05-25 | ID: 39947

Mike Stewart, Scotland

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 2009

Very poor traction body, too heavy for front wheel drive, and too much wear on tyres for a car; my van tyres last longer! Overall, poor all round performance for a family car.

Submitted: 2011-02-25 | ID: 39953

Chris Parker, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCI LX 2004

I bought my car pre-reg from a Ford dealer in 2005 and has covered 68,000 with no major problems until the last few weeks. I got 10,000 miles out of a set of front tyres, whereas would normally expect 17-20K. Most worrying was loss of power. Has just gone into local Ford dealer and had a new EGR valve at £450! A few hours after getting it back engine warning light came on and there is still some loss of power. Dealer says the car requires a software upgrade. The car is worth about £2500 and having read some of the horror stories here I am worried!

EGR valve for £450, what a load of tosh. The computer needs reprogramming, load of nonsense. The Ford garage is just trying to get money for nothing. None of these things need replacing. If your C-MAX diesel is loosing power, simply change the fuel filter, which if you buy yourself from the parts at a ford garage, will cost you around £30. If you can’t do it yourself then ask the garage to change it for you. It should take them no more than an hour to do. I did my own and it only took me 40 mins and I am no expert mechanic - Steve Boon from Hampshire

I had the similar problem and I figured after spending a lot money that the turbo inlet pipe was creating the problem... might be the turbo inlet pipe needs to be replaced... costs around 110 pounds - Yugant Patel from Aberdeenshire

Submitted: 2011-01-25 | ID: 39949

Edward Onadeko, London

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCi 2006

Bought my C-MAX 1.6 TDCi in 2006 from Autoplanet in Maidstone with 14,000 miles on the lock. For 4 years it was serviced and MoT’d with no problems. In 2010 I had turbo failure and black smoke coming from the exhaust. I was advised by a Ford service dept that the turbo needed to be replaced and I would need to buy other parts to fit the new turbo as it had been upgraded. It cost me £1973 including a service. As of today I have noticed the exhaust sounds as if it needs replacing. I took it to a Kwik-Fit and the mechanic said the manifold exhaust is broken. He said it could be due to the work done on the turbo as they would have disconnected it and possibly not sealed it back properly. They also said it could be due to driving over potholes or speed bumps. I am taking it back to the garage tomorrow.

Submitted: 2011-01-14 | ID: 39952

Bill Carter, Derbyshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 16tdci titanium+sportspack 2008

Bought car pre reg 2008 only prob had centre console coming loose cured with loktite on bolts. No other probs whatsoever drives/handles beautifully!.very pleased with it!! Had test drive in new model and will be having one soon. P.S. My mate’s got a Citreon Piccasso, it’s on the back of the breakdown more than he’s driving it.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 39929

Christos Kalpakas, Greece

Ford Focus C-MAX 1800cc Trent 2004

From 4th July 2004 ’til now my C-max has 146.000 km with normal service (as a service book manual says) and further. I changed only brake discs and clutch kit. I’m a family man and travel always full luggage. In general sold on my C-max 1800cc Trent.

Submitted: 2010-11-22 | ID: 39928

Rita Gorsuch, Spain

Ford Focus C-MAX Ghia 1.6 TDCi automatic 2006

We purchased this car new from a Ford dealer in Spain. After 4 years and only 57K on the clock the gearbox has failed. We paid 22.000 euros for this car and as pensioners expected to have many years use from it. We have been told that as Ford do not produce any parts for this gearbox our only option is a replacement costing 5000 euros. We have been offered 1000 euros scrap value. Ford do not want to know and will only say it is out of warranty. I accept this but do not agree that Ford can get away with producing a car, with a major part (automatic gearbox) that cannot be repaired. Surely at a cost of 22000 euros and only 4 years use, this car cannot be seen as fit for the purpose? I have been told that the automatic gearbox on the Cmax is a load of rubbish and I will never ever buy Ford again, Hyundai give 5 years warranty and Kia 7 years. I know where I will be spending my money next time.

You would still be giving your money to Ford as they own Hyundai and Kia! My Kia Sedona had a self destruct of the fuel pump bearings and it cost £2000 to put right! All the injectors and for new pump (made in France). Flush out tank etc... All caused by grit in the diesel fuel they reckon... This is a common fault on the 2.9 diesels car - had only done 25k miles but was out of the warranty period by 3 months! - Bryan Knight from England

Rita, many of us have had similar problems. We’re in touch with Ford’s Customer Services Director and getting help from AutoLaw. Please see more background and contact details via http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81143 - Reg Pritchard from Gloucestershire

Hello Rita, have you had any luck with following up your problem with the Cmax? We bought a brand new one in 2007 (in Spain) exactly the same model as yours and the gearbox has gone. We have been told that the only solution is to replace the whole thing at a cost of 4,000 Euros! Even though the two year warranty has expired, in the 21st century how can this happen to a four year old car with 52k on the clock?! If we had thrashed it and it had done a lot more kilometers then it’s kind of understandable. Naturally the dealer doesn’t want to know. Did you get yours fixed in the end? - Jan Carter from Spain

Submitted: 2010-10-29 | ID: 39930

Chris Wilson, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCI Zetec 2010

Bought my car 6 months ago and during that period its been into the garage 9 times! 1. Steering fault. Dangerous! 2. Steering fault. Still Dangerous! 3. Steering pump and electrical unit changed. 4. Air con fault. Recharged, still faulty? 5. Alternator and battery renewed. 6. DVD fault. New code issued. 7. Fuel fault, cut out. Breakdown! 8. Fuel fault, cut out. Breakdown! Renewed sender unit. 9. Fuel fault, cut out. Breakdown! Unknown fault? I have now replaced the car! The car is great when it is running, plenty of power, excellent MPG and lots of space, but it is totally unreliable and the worst car I have had! Unlike others though, Ford after-sales and service staff were great and all issues were covered by warranty, I just couldnt take it anymore.

Submitted: 2010-10-07 | ID: 39934

Henry Selley, Canada

Ford Focus C-MAX 2007

Two months after purchase had to return our 2007 model to dealer as noise in right Rear was due to INCORRECT part being installed. Had all 5000km services done and then at 45,000km+ had major job done. About 12 months later parked car and went on holiday for 2.5 months and on return breaks had seized up. This cost additional $175.00 to fix. Just a month or so later had to take vehicle in to Dealer to have noise / knock in front checked.... Front End Job and another $600.00. The Air Conditioning which we used maybe 3 times does not work, that would take $350.00 to repair but Dealer was prepared to chip in 50% of that cost. The one Star in this whole affair. Each 5000km notes a checking of front end extensions, etc BUT I Seriously Doubt they ever checked them otherwise this front end problem would have been noticed earlier. Wrote Ford Canada... what a waste of time! After 3 Fords in a row this is my last insult.

Submitted: 2010-09-12 | ID: 39945

Maizy, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 2007

n May of this year, after saving for almost 2yrs I purchased a c-max from Ford dealer in Northampton. The day I drove it home my husband wanted to look inside the engine, the bonnet catch was broke, took car back the following week, given a hire car then picked up c-max the following week. I thought that would be the last time I had to drive back to Northampton, I was wrong in July I took the car back again because there was an awful smell like sewage/rust while driving, my husband also noticed that the front right tyre had worn on the outside, we had driven aboput 1000 at this point. I was told that the smell was due to bacteria in the a/c and they would de-bug it, apparently no fault was found with the tyre/wheel so the dealer changed the back to front, I drove away with a nearly new tyre on the front. End of August we have been to Scotland and back, the right front tyre has worn away in exactly the same way again, I have got to speak to dealer as I will not accept the cause of of the wear is "my driving" as we have driven less than 1000 mile, I do expect a tyre to last at least 1yr before being replaced, my previous car was a 52 Rover 45, never had any problems at all with my much loved rover. I feel the dealer has had my money and now they are not going to accept there is a fault with this god forsaken heap of junk. One thing I will say is Sale of Goods Act, not fit for puropose.

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 39946

Mo, Devon

Ford Focus C-MAX 2010

For 4 years I loved my C Max - cheap to run/insure/tax etc... Great boot for camping gear, took my bike with ease as well. Not the most prestigious car I’ve ever owned, but loved it until 2 months ago. Suddenly began to lose power intermittently, fuel filter changing made no difference and no coded faults identified. The local Bosch car electronic maestro tracked the problems down to a faulty turbo - had a run in with the local Ford dealers, they sold me the car as a family member’s, only down 40k, no way should it need a new turbo - got zilch response from the local dealer/Ford. So what can you do but have it repaired at a cost of £800+. Then, 6 weeks later, it dies again and was last seen being towed to the dreaded dealer’s on the back of an AA truck. Shock horror, thought the last bill was bad - I ain’t seen nothing yet - the PCM (part of the engine management system) has gone, the PCM I understand costs circa £700 + £500 fitting. £2000 repair bills in 6 weeks for someone who does about 7k a year is mind boggling, or to put another perspective on it this damned car has consumed 33% of my year’s state pension. I could weep, the car will have to go... light, food and heat must take priority over a dodgy motor.

Submitted: 2010-08-09 | ID: 39941

Garry Hill, Staffordshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 2007

After driving Landrovers for 15 years I decided to get something a bit cheaper to run, so I bought a c-max with just 31000 on it . At around 2000 miles later the power steering has leaked all the fluid over my nice , fairly new drive. It’s not the car I thought it would be, and I will be going back to Landrovers shortly.

So your Landrover’s never leaked anything on the drive? All of mine have! - BG BG from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 39943

Matt, Hampshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 Titanium 2009

Very well designed car, I have had no quality issues and the dealership service has been good. The specification level is good for the price and the additional features like cruise control, parkng assist etc are well worth the money I paid. Reasonable economy and handling, comfortable for longer journeys. A few negatives: The satnav option seems very expensive The A/C is a bit feeble for a larger car like this.

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 39942

Cristian, Middlesex

Ford Focus C-MAX 2008

I bought this heap of junk second hand from Alperton Ford in May 2009. The epb (electronic handbrake) has just suffered a total failure and is going to cost at least a grand. It’s not even done 40K miles. Ford couldn’t care less. They really are the epitome of rubbish.

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 39939

Paul, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 Petrol 2004

Possibly the most disappointing car I’ve ever owned. So many design faults Ford has truly taken a big step backwards with this model. In the last year I’ve had the Power steering pump & aircon pump replaced, luckily under warranty from an otherwise completly useless Fraud Garage. On-going power steering issues that really spoils the handling & enjoyment of driving. Fraud tell me nothing’s wrong but how can the effort to turn the steering wheel change from one corner to the next corner at the same speed. Bonnet lock is one to watch out for, keep it lubricated if you’re unlucky enough to own one like me. Avoid!

Submitted: 2010-07-28 | ID: 39940

Ken Adamson, Staffordshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 2008

I’ve had my C-MAx for the past 2 and half years, touch wood it has been ok and I,ve not had any major problems yet. However, the last few weeks, the noise inside of the car has increased whilst driving at higher speeds. I’ve looked at most of the car to try and se what the problem is but I,m struggling to find out whats causing it. The car has served me well and I would like to keep it, I just need to find out what the noise is.

I had a gradual build up of noise in my C-Max. It turned out to be the support bearing on the transfer shaft. The shaft between the dif and the cv joint - Don Brown from England

Submitted: 2010-07-20 | ID: 39937

Louise Bateman, England

Ford Focus C-MAX Ghia 2.0L injection 2005

I bought this as a slightly smaller version of a people carrier, and what a nightmare its been. Gobbles up the diesel like it’s drinking water (it is better on long distances). We have had the car two and half years and have spent a fortune on it. It had very low mileage and only one owner so was in good condition. In the last two years we have had to replace the alternator, rear and front break pads and discs, new clutch and fly wheel (costing £1,000) as the Ghia is more expensive, new air conditioning unit as well as still servicing it and MOTs. All this with less than 50,000 miles on the clock. The car is now juddering when accelerating and the fuses are making funny clicking noises!? First Ford and the last!!

Yesss, mate you are right. Never gonna buy a Ford again. First and the last! I’m not enough rich to drive Ford :) - Sven Gibson from Wssex

Submitted: 2010-07-12 | ID: 39935

Alan Hurt, Cheshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Ghia 2007

I have been a Ford fan for about 20 years and have had many models, mostly sporty RS/XR, but as I have grown older my needs have changed. I decided to buy a one year old 2L Desial Ghia in black, it was a nice car ran well and was a pleasure to drive ’til it came to the first service. It needed new rear pads at 20K because of that silly hand brake and two new front tyres on the same service. I questioned both items and was told it’s the way I drive; to wear out a set of pads in 20k my foot must have been on the brake pedal most of the time. Then at two years old my blue tooth failed on the radio, so I took it back under warranty and again was told it was my fault and the warranty did not cover it. In fact they had smashed it trying to get it out and had broken the fascia. I then had to complain 4 times over 5 weeks before they would admit the fault was theirs. Since then I have bought a SEAT ALTER XL, this car cost less then an equivalent Ford and the after sales has been so much better. PS I do not have the threaten to take this to court, because of the after sales service and Ford’s present pricing policy it will be a long time until I buy a Ford again.

Submitted: 2010-07-05 | ID: 39897

Jenny Murdock, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2004

I bought my Focus C-Max in 2004 new from a Ford dealer as my Granddad worked for Ford and did so out of loyalty; always had Fords previously. Wish I hadn’t. So far the electronic handbrake had a recall and needed replacing,loss of power, burning smells when climbing hills, 2 batteries replaced, faulty airconditioning, had to be bump started 3 times, replacement alternator, bonnet sticks when trying to open, creaking on front suspension. Need to definintely get rid of this car. At the moment the car is over revving and found out it needs a new throttle peddle, another £250 quid probably. Just told my husband we are getting rid. Should never have installed computerised engine system!!!!

Was just wondering - did the garage contact you to recall your electronic parking brake or did you have trouble with it and take it in yourself? I have had dreadful trouble with mine too and they want around £1,000 to put it right! - Julie Tyler from Norfolk

Submitted: 2010-06-25 | ID: 39895

Bill Abbott, Aberdeenshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2009

Bought a C4 12 months ago and, to-date, I have had NO problems, ’sailed’ through its MOT, easy to drive and comfortable. Good economy, 1.6 showing approx, 37 mpg within town. Plenty of rear luggage room and when the back seats are lowered ’huge’. Would recommend, best car even had.

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 39898

Drasko Vucemilovic, Croatia (Hrvatska)

Ford Focus C-MAX 2000cm3 136hp 2009

I bought this car just 2 months ago and I hope that I haven’t made a mistake as I haven’t checked anything about the car before buying it. After reading all mentioned above I am almost terrified. There are so many bad words about the car, the only nice saying is by the guy who said that only those which had been produced in Britain have all those problems and the situation is much better with those produced in Germany. Mine was produced in Germany so I hope that in a year’s time I’ll be happy to inform you that I’m still happy and thrilled with my car as I’m now. Before this car I used to have Citroen cars and I still have a C3 which has more than 100,000kms and still works fine. As I needed a bigger car I bought C-max and hope that I’ll be as contented with it as I’m with C3.

How can you tell if your car was made in Germany? - Andy Smith from Wales

UPDATE: Still in love with the car. I am thrilled I have bought it. It is the fulfillment of my dreams - Drasko Vučemilović from Croatia (Hrvatska)

Did you have any problems with your C-MAX, Drasko? - from Bosnia and Herzegovina

Submitted: 2010-04-28 | ID: 39900

Colin Flexman, Surrey

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 Ghia 2010

Traded in a perfectly good Kia for my C-Max Ghia. What a mistake! Decided to buy the Ghia version with all its optional extras. Unfortunately, also got some non-optional Ford extras like rattles, bangs, clicks and squeaks. The door panels squeak, the dashboard rattles, the radio casing clicks and even the door-pull surrounds make a sound all of their own. It’s like driving a washing machine on ’spin’ cycle. It’s the first Ford I have owned for 25 years and it appears that nothing has changed since my last one. Where is Ford’s quality control? My Kia had no rattles or squeaks during the 3 years I owned it. It’s fine for Jeremy Clarkson to condemn Korean cars but I would back these aganst any Ford, any time. I can only assume Ford’s are tested on glass-flat German autobahns and never on Britain’s third-world roads. Sorry Ford. Definitely my last Ford EVER!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-26 | ID: 39899

Clive Cotter, Kent

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6tdci zetec 2008

A superb family car with great levels of comfort and the build quality internaly is spot on, very Germanic. Compare with Japanese rivals eg Mazda5 and you will feel and see the difference. It drives spot on with hardly any noise in the cabin. The diesel versions are the ones to go for for economy and I dont know why but seem to ride better. The five speed box on the 1.6 and 1.8 petrol create a lot of noise because the revs are high at motorway speeds which becomes anoying. The 2litre is the only petrol choice to have. We have the 1.6 tdci and this is more than plenty for our mix of mainly urban weekday driving with days out at weekends. Achieve 44/46mpg around town with 61/65 on motorways. A great car and highly recommended but only get a diesel.

Submitted: 2010-04-07 | ID: 39906

Nikki Taylor, Hertfordshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 zetec 2004

Bought this car from Gates Harlow in July 2007, it had 35,000 on clock and 1 owner previously. In the time I’ve had it, the mileage is still low for its age at 41,000, I’ve had nothing but problems & expense! First thing to happen was something minor the water washer pump went £40. Then the car kept needing to be bump started so had to get new battery at cost of £50. Then the gears started getting stiff, at 1 point I had to sit on my drive trying to gently loosen them up abit before driving off!!Had to have Gear Selection Cables replaced cost £250. Then the Power Steering hose went cost £270. Now I have a creaking coming from front suspension, which I strongly suspect is either my top suspension mount needs lubricating or new top mount fitted. Well that’s what I hope but with this car it’s normally something more expensive. Everything is plastic on the interior so driving along everything creaks. The gears aren’t smooth or springy and the wheels wear down so quickly. So wish I hadn’t traded my Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2002 plate car in, it was a dream!!!!

Submitted: 2010-03-28 | ID: 39904

Graham Baxby, Derbyshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 zetec 2005

Completely happy with the C-MAX, I have had no problems whatsoever, the most versatile car I have owned I will definately buy the new model when available.

Submitted: 2010-03-06 | ID: 39905

Alan Campbell, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 Zetec 2004

This is, without a shadow of a doubt, the worst car I have ever bought! I traded in a Ka and Mondeo, which I’d owned from new as I thought my expanding family would be better in a car designed for a family. After 100 trouble-free miles the bonnet lock decided to pack in. Not much of a problem unless you do plenty of miles and need to check your levels regularly! Next one was the good old engine warning light. The car spent 3 weeks in a garage and still came out ’broken’ after having amassed a bill of £700 - just for diagnostics! After replacing various sensors and resetting the light the problem still persisted. Fuel economy was down from a pathetic 380mile range to 250miles! Turns out the fuel pump was knackered after 36000miles!! £300 from ’Fraud’ and my fingers are crossed. As soon as the HP is up I’ll be switching to something Japanese. I almost feel sorry for whoever buys my car from me.

Bought my CMax 1.6 TDCi new from the Dovercourts in Colchester back in August 2007. At first it was a great car with good economy and plenty of pull when driving on A roads and motorways. The tyres had to be replaced after just a year of owning it at 8000 miles. I couldn’t believe it. The garage set the tracking so they had a minus tolerance as they were always over towing. I have just had my first MOT done and was told that the tyres need replacing again! 24,000 on the clock now. A month ago the engine cut out when doing 40mph on a main road - just died. Restarted it and limped home with hazard warning lights on. Took it to a local garage, they could’t find anything wrong even with the diagnostics computer plugged in as they were driving it. Took it back home very dissatisfied. Last week on a very cold day, same problem again. Engine cut out luckily on a rural road so not as scary this time. Had to get it towed to another garage this time. They spent a couple of days with the diagnostic computer and eventually diagnosed the fuel pump was knackered. Also fuel filter hadn’t been replaced as the original one was still fitted (dated 2007). Cost of £640 and the guy felt sorry for me so only charged me for the parts at cost. I am so fed up with this car. I just want to get rid of it. Anybody reading this, should avoid CMax’s like the plague. I have had Fords for years now and my previous Focus was a fantastic car, but not big enough for my brood. I won’t be getting another Ford. Too unreliable and too expensive. OK rant over! - Lesley Broadbent from Essex

Submitted: 2010-02-08 | ID: 39907

Keith Ellinor, Essex

Ford Focus C-MAX Titanium Auto 2.0 ltr Petrol 2008

I bought this C-Max 2,0 tr Auto Titanium after having driven Ford galaxy for over 10 years. No comparison to the Galaxy, but still a very nice car to drive. The economy is not very good, and is worse than my previous 2,3 ltr Petrol Manual. Not sure yet on the overall reliability of the C-Max as I drove Galaxy for the 10 years and never submitted to Dealership for Warranty Work. The C-Max suffered an Engine Malfunction after 6000 miles, requiring a replacement Throttle Body which incorporated an elecronic switch.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-04 | ID: 39909

Brian Pearce, Kent

Ford Focus C-MAX 2000 Diesel 2003

This is the biggest load of rubbish I have had the misfortune to buy. I bought the car second hand from a main Ford dealer and immediately had problems of sluggish turn over of engine coupled with flat battery if left for more than two days. After several visits to the dealership and leaving car for three days I was told it was the radio; a second hand one was fitted but did not seem to cure the problem. The clock kept going wrong. The cold weather set in, same old problem, fitted new battery under 90 percent warranty. still vehicle struggles to turn over to start. Thr vicious flywheel went causing a tremendous noise and I’ve had to have a new clutch fitted at same time, six hundred pounds plus fitting. Mileage thirty two thousand. several no throttle responses, I’ve had to change the valve in the exhaust manifold. No power assistance on cold mornings from the brakes, solid brake pedal, which I have ignord and has put itself right. Power steering fault keeps coming up on dash read out, which I ignore. Rear tailgate leaks water in to the boot when lifted all of which was fixed under warranty but it’s still leaking. The washer pump packed in another twenty five quid and fitted it myself. Now to continue not charging new alternator required , another three hundred quid plus fitting. This is the first car in my life that I will feel guilty about selling to some poor unsuspecting sole. This car has still only done forty thousand miles. WHAT NEXT?

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 39910

Sean Carroll, Berkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCI Zetec 2004

Bought as had two small kids and wife needed mini MPV. Great boot, great when rear seat for kids when converted to a two seater, great long distance tourer, great performance and handling and comfort, so fast for a diesel minivan. BUT..soooo many breakdowns due to electrical and alternator issues, 3 faulty heated windscreens, faulty air con on long driving holidsay in baking conditions, dodgy time changing clock. Just had to get rid as too many breakdowns Disappointing as other car was a W reg Focus owned from new to 8 years old and never had an issue. Howeve, I will never have another Ford oand despite the dullness of the drive I am now a Toyota driver.

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 39914

Paul, Warwickshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 2004

After 2 weeks of purchasing the vehicle was loosing power & the engine management light was on, it also sufferd a intermitent starting fault. The vehicle was with the local Ford dealer for 1 entire month. They diagnosed & replaced the fuel pump I almost forgot I had the car. I still have a starting problem when pumping the accelerator pedal the car will then start but still suffers lack of power & now the alternator has failed the car has only covered 36000 miles. A local repairer has diagnostic equipment but it never pulls up any fault codes, I thought this would be a good family car having 2 young children sadly we have spent more time in courtesey cars & walking

Losing !!!!! not loosing - from Kent

Is it repaired now? - Avril Brohan from England

Submitted: 2010-01-03 | ID: 39911

Lorraine McKenzie, Sussex

Ford Focus C-MAX 2005

Less than a year ago we bought our Ford Focus Zetec Max and have suddely found out that the automatic gear box needs replacing. When we bought it, it was only three and a half years old(first registered in May 2005) and also had just over 17,000 on the clock. On looking at our receipt and guarantee etc., typically it showed just a six month guarantee!!!! So we didn;t qualifiy. This is a second car as we have a first family car and my husband uses the focus just to travel to and from his soccer school locally and also to and from our local train station. We havn’t done many miles in the past 10/11 months since purchasing it. Jermyns our local Ford dealership where we bought it have quoted £4000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!to put a new auto gear box in. My husband has protested on the grounds that we cant believe that only having bought it this year, it should cost us so much that we seriously think it would financially not be worth our while paying such a high amount. So far Jermyns havn’t been that helpful to our cause. We have bought 2 previous car from them. They’ve suggested a part exchange deal (out of, as they say good will gesture). We feel that this gear box must have already been on it’s way out when we purchased it and are not happy at all. Clearly if we had done many more miles within the six month guarantee it would have shown the fault but due to such low mileage it’s happened outside this warrenty period.

Submitted: 2009-11-27 | ID: 39916

Gareth, Berkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 2006

Hi, just had had my C-Max back from the garage after it suffered a power failure whilst driving, engine management light on etc., etc. It has had a new coil pack and spark plugs put on and all seemed fine. I drove away from the garage and bugger me if 200 yards down the road everything failed, engine revs dropped,power steering failed and all the dash lights came on. It turns out that the power switch that goes to the side of the coil pack wasn’t in properly, and when i went over a speed bump it lost connection but did’t actually come out. Just a thought for all the others out there with a similiar problem of which there seems quite a few. Fingers crossed

Submitted: 2009-11-24 | ID: 39915

David MacKinnon, Perthshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCI Zetec 2008

I have had a variety of Fords over the years; Sierra, Orion, Mondeo and latterly a Focus 1.8TDCI Ghia. My C Max is the best of the bunch - Love it!

Submitted: 2009-10-30 | ID: 39921

Robert Cash, Derbyshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 1800 2009

A great car, the 1800 has enough power for a 6th gear - high revving on motorway, economy affected by this. Come on Ford - give customers the choice.

Spot on, the car is always looking for that extra gear, the high revs then impact the fuel consumption. Never known a car to drive at such high revs - Dave Dobson from Vale of Glamorgan

Submitted: 2009-10-27 | ID: 39922

Peter, Cornwall

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCI Ghia 2004

I’ve had the car from 1 year old . It’s now done 64000 miles. I love the way the car drives, the room, and very poky engine. However, I am trading it in for a Honda as can not afford the constant repair bills. I have had the EGR problem from when I had it, Ford tweaked it, but it still has flat spot around 1900 revs, but I learned to live with it. Its had a new alternator (£350), brake pads don’t last long, especially the rear ones, new brake disks, it’s very heavy on tyres and I do not buy budget ones, even the back ones wear out quickly. I just had it serviced and a set of 4 tyres was £450.00. I was also told that both front wheel bearings needed replacing costing £200.00 each. The injector seals needed replacing - this is why I have a smell in cab - at a minimum cost of £300.00 but could be up to £900.00 if there are complications. I was going to purchase a new C-Max but will now be trading in for a reliable Honda.

My 2004 1.6 has fumes inside the car again. Another injector seal needing replacement, the second, costing £155 to replace. This seems to be a common problem and I was wondering about taking it up with Ford? - John Hunter from Lanarkshire

Submitted: 2009-10-26 | ID: 39924

Dave Turnbull, Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCI Ghia 2009

This is the worst car I have ever owned, with problem after problem. I bought the car from new and as soon as I drove the car of the forecourt the engine management light came on, resulting in a 3 hour wait, a missed ferry and a hotel bill which Ford refused to pay for. Since, I’ve had problems with the gear box which was fixed under warranty after a big argument, battery, alternator, washer jets, brake calliper and the now the car rarely starts first time, if at all sometimes and it regularly cuts out, as in just switches itself of while your driving down the road. It’s happened to me on a roundabout and on the motorway, usually if you wait a minute then start the car again it fixes the problem but all the same... Don’t go near these things, they will cost you a fortune and are death traps.

Submitted: 2009-09-29 | ID: 39920

David Russell, Essex

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 Zetec 2003

Have read all the reports, am I lucky ?? Got the car from new 2003 from Gates of Harlow, we still have the car in 2009. Problems ?? Window would not go up in 2003 since then... not one thing to report. Miles run up 97,000, it’s gettting a bit "tired" now and we are thinking of a change but... we love the C-Max . Did 1,700 miles in one weekend down to Roma & back, the C-Max did not miss a beat. Sorry guys, we must be lucky??

Hello David. Just wondered what the problem was with your window? Was it the motor or something else? Thanks Richard - Richard H from England

Richard, In answer to your question, it was the window motor which was at fault, "just one of those things" Gates said at the time. 2010 will see I think ,the s-max on the drive if all is well - David Russell from Essex

Submitted: 2009-09-28 | ID: 39917

Becci, Kent

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCI LX 2004

Pile of rubbish... Engine replaced after 40,000 under warranty, now I’m having the same faults with this engine (out of warranty). Engine looses power randomly, no fault codes or engine management lights show up on the dash. Sometimes pulling over and restarting the engine cures this problem but sometimes it doesn’t and I have to continue the journey with no power and struggling to get up to 3,000 rpm. (limp/safe mode) POWER STEERING!!!! Where to start. Useless and a down right death trap. My model has the electronic power steering pump, and a can barely turn the steering from centre when going round a corner, then all of a sudden BAM, power steering kicks in and I look like a drunk driver as the car suddenly decides to turn.... More severe on right hand turns than left hand turns. This has had Ford totally stumped and said it could cost up to £2000 to have fixed! What a joke. Totally hate this car, OK it might have useful boot space and nice headroom in the back but be prepared for it to fall apart as you drive it. Ford are crummy cars with shocking build quality, customer relations are equally appalling and I will NEVER buy a Ford again. The C-Max should be taken off the road by VOSA...

Becci, the same steering problem has happened to me, I have actually taken the car off road on a sharp corner before now and agree that it is very dangerous. I took it to two different garages and both said that they couldn’t fix it ’til it properly broke!! This is all after I had to have the EGR valve replaced, four new tyres and the air con sorted...I have two small children and certainly can’t afford to spend £2000 on repairing the steering, am stuck with it for now - Clare Baxter from Bedfordshire

Exactly same power steering issue - only does it on cold mornings, and only above 20mph. After about 10 minutes driving, the engine has warmed up and steering is fine. Up until that point it’s a data trap. We had power steering pump replaced, pressure switch replaced and even steering rack replaced! No difference! Avoid at all costs - Jon Mullender from Norfolk

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39990

Bob, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2000cc TDci. 2006

Great car. Pros: I pull a caravan and have been impressed with its power. The more weight you put on the back, the better it pulls! Very smooth and comfortable with plenty of acceleration. Economy (solo) can be as high as 60 mpg but for general motoring I expect to maintain the high 40s. Exceptionally manoeuverable and easy to drive. Very versatile luggage space. Cons: Can be heavy on front tyres and I have an expensive air con problem to get sorted.

Submitted: 2009-07-08 | ID: 39993

Tina Gibson, Cheshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2009

I just logged on to find out more about mpg on this car and can’t believe what I’m hearing. This happened to me after having the car for 2 months; the car just cutting out. The ngr valve was replaced and touch wood it hasn’t happened again, has anyone experienced the clock keep changing time?

There is a software fix for the clock but, as always, Ford will charge you for the update! - from Cheshire

YES !!! Clock changes for no reason (always has done). I've had the C-Max from new 2003-2009 and I just put up with it... - David Russell from Essex

Yes, I forgot to add in my review that my clock changes also. Ford have no idea why (no surprises there really) so I’ve just lived with it... - from Kent

Submitted: 2009-06-11 | ID: 39986

Dan, London

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6tdci zetec automatic 2009

Having driven back to London from Lancashire I parked the car outside my partners house. When I came to go out later on whenever I put the car into gear and released the foot brake the engine would stall; after several attempts I resorted to placing the auto box in neutral and revving the bollox off it, then placing it back into drive. This seemed to clear the problem until the other day, whilst driving at 30mph in central London the engine decided to stall. Any clues to what is happening?

Submitted: 2009-05-29 | ID: 39985

Sam Robinson, Lancashire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCi 2005

My daughters car purchased from new in 2005 and has been fault free until six months ago, began with engine cutting out, not starting, loss of power steering & ABS - cause alternator, but as car out of warranty, had to pay up. Latest fault is problems starting and loosing power, press accelerator and no response, pumping accelerator eventually gets revs up followed by a big cloud of black smoke. I’ve read on other reports about EGR valve being replaced. Dealership are at a loss, but say bring it in and we can put it on the diagnosis computer at £75 / hour and maybe we can fix it! Very disappointed with Ford Customer Services response to what is clearly a problem but as a retired Ford employee I’m not surprised, remember the Firestone tyre debacle - cost Ford billions.

Submitted: 2009-05-12 | ID: 39984

James White, Worcestershire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 16 TDCi. 2006

Owned car for two years, 6m, not one problem must b lucky. 0nly one thing is the paint, mine is black scratches as soon as you look at it.

Black looks good but shows dirt and scratches easily, try grey next time - hides everything well. - from London

Submitted: 2009-04-08 | ID: 39997

Jason Fairclough, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2006

1825mm - yes, that’s the width of the C-MAX. Now you try and find a car that wide, that cheap. Well, I couldn’t, especially as I wanted a TD auto. So began the investigations. Horror story after horror story, and yet the "What Car?" types give accolade after accolade. "As good as the Focus!" they say, and then you turn over to page 2, and read through the customer complaints. I come from Impreza country, and Focus’s are fodder to be ignored as a complete waste of effort. I shall now adopt this philosophy with the C-MAX BEFORE buying it. I am sorry for those who have, as clearly, once again, myriads are duped and manipulated into directions they all wished they had never gone. I am buying a Volkswagen Caravelle, where others can breathe my exhaust fumes beneath me, and in thirty years time, I can drive past the rust ridden graveyards of former Dagenham Dustbins, no doubt with over 400,000 miles on the clock, and a breakdown free history. One thing I can certainly claim, is that Caravelle’s will always grow old gracefully, whereas the C-MAX will be retired before it’s middle-aged, with so many ailments, the National Health Service will never be able to keep it alive. But then, it doesn’t deserve it, does it. It’s a cheap vehicle, built with a cheap outlook with cheap support and backup. Interestingly, Ford equates to: Fodder Others Regret Driving = FORD.

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 40002

Helen Pacey, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2004

NEVER EVER BUY A C-MAX! This is the worst car I have ever encountered, mine has had a new engine at 48,000mls, the power steering has failed on numerous occasions and now the car is making a strange rattling sound when you take your foot off the accelerator. Don’t know what it is not investigated yet so if anyone has experienced the same problem please comment. I bought this car because I needed a large car, but I didn’t want the huge people carrier! I wish I had now because this car is a death trap!!! All us C-MAX drivers should go to trading standards because we’ve been ripped off. I paid £18000 and have spent at least 8,000 to keep it road worthy. The problems just keep coming!!!!!!!

Hi Helen, just read your report just to see if anyone had the same probs as us? Yes my steering failed along with abs engine management system then wouldn’t start, went into safe mode, but what i was really interested me was that my cmax also rattles when i take my foot off the accelerator. It’s been into my local Ford dealer for 2 weeks they don’t know what it is, so it’s in the hands of trading standards as we havent had the car for too long. So sorry i can’t help but your are not alone, never had a Ford before now, my wife wont drive it or put the kids in it. I will tell my Ford dealer about your problems as well!! - Shaun Akers from Norfolk

My car didn’t even get out the garage as had power steering probs, since then it has had the same problem 3 times, broke down again xmas eve, I AM going to trading standards on Tuesday as this car is a death trap. I have a disabled child and the car was purchased so as to not have to worry about breaking down, it hasn’t even done 4000 miles yet!! - Tracy Jones from Middlesex

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39999

Norman McElroy, County Down

Ford Focus C-MAX TDCDI LX 2004

I bought this car from my local Ford dealership. It was the manager’s car and I purchased it when it was one year old. The past few years I have enjoyed the car with very few problems. But over the last few months it has started to give problems. I have just received it back from the dealer after spending £340 having a new EGR valve fitted. This has not cured the problem which is lack of acceleration (almost cutting out) and very "lumpy" driving in all gears. Happy to hear of similar experiences and hopefully solutions.

Had the same problem with the EGR Valve on my 2004 C-Max. Strong dose of Redex diesel additive did the trick. Short runs seem to gum it up. Since I experienced this trouble have done 20,000 miles with no repetition - Derek Hilsden from Kent

Submitted: 2009-02-18 | ID: 39994

Fraser Gill, Northumberland

Ford Focus C-MAX 2l TDCi Zetec 2007

This is my second new TDCi C Max. I drove Citroens for years so it was a big decision to buy Ford. I tow and found that it had more pulling power. I had no problems with the first, but 4 weeks after I got this one. It was on the back of a tow truck heading west to Angouleme in west France. having stopped and failed to restart. I had it back in three days with the computer "reset" Two weeks later, whilst still in France it stopped again, but as I’d kept the engine running, but no acceleration, it regained its power before the breakdown service arrived. It was checked out at the dealer on my return but no problem was found. In April 2008 on my return from SW Scotland I lost the power assisted steering and was lifted home. A new unit was fitted on warranty. In October it went again, but I was able to drive it the short distance home and borrow my wife’s car to continue on my necessary journey. The following day it had corrected itself and when checked at the dealership, no fault was detected. This occurred again in December following heavy rain. This was outside my brother’s home and the problem had again cleared by the following morning. Nothing more frustrating that an intermittent fault, or is there... On January 30th, the day after another visit to Scotland, I put the car through an intensive car wash. After parking up, I found that the steering had again failed. I was in the supermarket car park with a boot full of shopping, which my wife had to take home by taxi while I awaited roadside assistance. It was taken to the same dealer where it remains. I like the model, but hate my model. I suppose my real gripe is with Ford Customer Relationships, itself an interesting expression. I use my car during the course of my work and my wife has her own car for her convenience, but mainly to visit her mother daily in a nursing home. I contacted Ford on their 0845 number and requested the use of a rental car at their expense. I was told that they could not do this without a diagnosis. My diagnosis is that my car is unusable through no fault of mine and is in need of specialised repairs. The dealer is unable to determine the fault and following contact with Ford engineers and following their advice have been unable to find the fault. My dealership has no car available, so we re-contacted Ford CR today to be told. No diagnosis, no car! This took 25 minutes to go nowhere, a little like my car you may think. I have no real understanding of car mechanics, but it did occur to me to mention that my car had been very wet on two of the occasions and they may look at water egress. My dealer says I can have a car for the weekend and then again from Tuesday next. I am going on, but I’m not expecting a "diagnosis" until after then! I am fortunate that we have a second vehicle that I have been able to use to carry on my work, or else I would have had to hire at my expense. Apart from the inconvenience and frustration, I realise that the whole set up is a bit of a sham and that customer care, once you have purchased a pig, doesn’t really exist. I will soon be changing my car and this whole experience of Ford apathy and lack of anything that resembles customer care, means that I will return to Citroen as my preferred option. I suppose the truly saving grace is that this has only happened whilst stationery or at very slow speed.

Submitted: 2009-02-05 | ID: 39996

Patrick King, Berkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCi ZETEC 2006

Do not buy this car - if you are unlucky enough to own one - get rid of it before it kills you, your family or an innocent third party. Strong words, why so damming you may ask? Last week, my wife was driving our children home on a dark country road when without any warning what-so-ever, her C-Max power assisted steering and ABS brakes simultaneously failed. I am not talking about heavy steering here - the brake peddle went hard and the steering wheel would not move more than 10 to 15 degrees from centre. Fortunately my wife was cool headed enough to eventually bring the car to a halt from around 35mph before careering into a ditch or having a "head-on" with an on-coming articulated lorry. The cause was a faulty alternator - replaced under warranty - only after a blazing row with Ford Customer Relations.

Submitted: 2008-12-17 | ID: 39983

Jen Lacey, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2004

Was sold a 6 month old demo c-max at polar ford in thirsk. Was all good until we were on holiday in Wales, halfway up a hill when we lost power and the car cut out! After 10 minutes it started up fine and had no more problems. Then, with our 3 month old daughter in the back of the car on a very busy motorway the c-max cut out again at 70mph! We managed to pull over without causing an accident! After contacting the dealership we purchased from we were advised "it’s perfectly normal and nothing to worry about".....how stupid do Ford think we are?! Needless to say we sold the car within the following 6 months........and lost a grand total of £6000! We bought the car when they had just been brought out and cost a very pricey £12,000 - £13,000. We now have a Mondeo and in all honesty I think Ford customer services is total rubbish. We have just found out that we were sold a vehicle with no paint and perforation warranty because "the previous owner never had the paintwork checked and the service history book stamped for it ". I will next be purchasing a Vauxhall!

Submitted: 2008-08-05 | ID: 39982

Richard Brown, Worcestershire

Ford Focus C-MAX Titanium 2008

Ready to buy the 1.8 Titanium. The test drive proved very informative. Living in a hilly urban area driving through crowded streets was an 8 out 10 rating. Open road the same. My main gripes are cosmetics. After about 7-8 miles I was constantly changing `cheeks’ on the very firm driving seat. Also... considering the Titanium is only second to the top models the trim options are extremely poor with only 2 choice colours (Non Metallic) but plenty as `optional extras’. Worse... there is only one choice of upholstery trim and that’s a dull grey black. Cheap Skate FORD.

I am thinking of changing to a Ford C Max from a Vauxhall Zafira. Would that be a good choice? Have been looking at other models, but C Max looks the best choice. Do not want to buy another Vauxhall - Sid Parker from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2008-07-21 | ID: 39976

Simon Mitchell, Oxfordshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Ghia 2004

Hey - I had a C-Max auto....never again! Transmission Failure warning came on but nothing seemed wrong with the car. The garage (Hartwels Oxford) had it for over a week - chased them every day with no response. Finally the cost to replace a faulty (something) £2,000. What - but the car drives fine. Yes we agree but ’computer says no!’ Where are the real engineers - all they tell me is a fault code and present a massive bill - oh and £90 /hr labour........my solicitor would be cheaper to employ. Cack cack cack!

Submitted: 2008-06-24 | ID: 39974

Rose, Essex

Ford Focus C-MAX FORD FOCUS 2000LTR TDI 2004

I have a c-max and have just taken it in to a Ford garage, engine management light came on, diagnostic said the EGR valve needed replacing. Only £325 to replace. It might be nearly 4 years old but it has only 17,000 on the clock. Customer service just say pay and will look into it for you. Does it really take 2 hours to fit? Oh and they gave me the the technical depart telephone number but no one answers. Why have Ford not sorted this problem out. My car too has cut out whilst driving along, very dangerous, garage then said car was ok back then. Who will be responsible if it causes an accident?

Submitted: 2008-06-17 | ID: 39973

John Ritchie, West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Ford Focus C-MAX 2004

Just a note to say modified egr valves have been fitted from about March 06 so together with modified software should cure problem. Valve has to be programmed by Ford ids though but there are many independents that have the kit now... I have and i know others have too. Regards

Submitted: 2008-06-02 | ID: 39975

Teresa Alexandre, Hampshire

Ford Focus C-MAX C-Max 2.0 litre diesel 2003

I have a Ford C-Max 2.0 litre diesel and I am very disappointed with the car. After a year of buying the car I started having problems with the power. The car started losing power for no reason while driving. I have taken the car back to Ford dealer three times already and they replaced lots of parts but I still have the same problem. This happened while still under warranty and even after three attempts Ford dealer still cannot tell me what is wrong with it.

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 39978

Steve, Cardiff

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec 2004

My C-MAX 2.0ltr diesel is in for a service with a Ford dealer. I had told them about the lack of power in the car and smoke coming out of it when the car is turned off. They have just phoned me to say that the Egr valve is faulty on the car, the cost to me to have it fitted by Ford is �400. This is the last straw, I have had this problem with this car on and off over the last 3 years and it’s only done 26,000 miles. Ford never found the problem until it was out of warranty, funny that. Money talks. Come on Ford, do the right thing.

Finally, how did you fix this? I mean what did you change? I have the same car with the same problem. Thank you - from Greece

Submitted: 2008-04-03 | ID: 39980

Peter Farr, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec Diesel 2007

Expected to buy car tomorrow but read the faults submitted and I may not. Thanks for your comments, it was going to be a 1.6 as there would normally be only two of us in the car but would now consider a 1.8 or is it 1.9 Have they put the faults right on the 05/06/07 cars, or even the 08 plate, no answer no buy.

Submitted: 2008-03-28 | ID: 39979

Allan, Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCi Zetec 2004

I really like this car - does everything I need and drives really well, but... I’ve also had similar problems to others. After 1 year the EGR valve stuck and it let me down a few times before Ford admitted a problem. The symptoms were that the car started fine but didn’t restart after a short journey - if it hadn’t had time to warm up properly. Having sorted this, I then had a problem with it losing all power at speed on the moterway with a baby in the back and massive wagon’s up my backside. Ford’s computer said ’no’ so Ford told the dealer to hand the car back with no action. I complained to Ford and got a smooth ’not our problem’. I have now got starting problems again and been let down again this morning. Car now out of warranty. TIP from AA man. Carry a rubber mallet. Take off the engine cover (I now leave mine off) and tap the aluminium pipe to the right of the engine as you look at it, somewhere along the middle of it. This frees the valve and the car starts. Not a permanent solution, but has got me going when I’ve been stuck. Planning to sell but still love the car...

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 39967

Paul, Lothians

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6 TDCI 2006

I bought this car in August 2007 and since December have had the most aggravating experience of my life. The car started cutting out for no reason while driving and the first three times the Ford dealer in Edinburgh just re-set the computer and told me it was fine. The fourth time, after they couldn’t find the fault, I looked on the forums and read about the faulty EGR valve causing these kinds of problems. The next day after I told the garage this, they miraculously said that the EGR valve needed changing. I waited a week for them to do this, and then a few days after getting the car back, I got stranded at Prestwick airport with the same problem and had to get towed back to Edinburgh. So the car is now in for the FIFTH time and four times the AA have had to tow me to the garage. Ford will not provide any replacement vehicle for me so I have had to hire a car four times which has cost me several hundred pounds. Now- they say that the EGR valve they fitted last week must have been faulty too!!!!! and have ordered another one. Because they don’t know how long it will take to come in, Ford still will not help me out with any vehicle hire!!! Both the dealer and Ford customer services have been very, very abysmal and as soon as they tell me the car is repaired I will trade it in at the same garage as I have no confidence in Ford or Ford Customer Services whatsoever.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39968

Barry Grantham, Northamptonshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.6TDCi Zetec Auto 2004

Purchased the car second hand from Seniors of Market Harborough. First noticed problem after 4 or 5 weeks when the car lost power at 1700 - 2000 revs when starting off. When the power kicked in there was a putter of black smoke coming out of the exhaust. Quite disconcerting! The car went back under warranty and eventually had its computer ECU updated by the local Ford dealer, they hoped this would fix the problem. It didn’t! And whilst I was finding this out, I had one of those power losses which Ford call ’get you home mode’. Fortunately I had just got off a dual carriageway when this happened as it only allows you to go at 20mph. Back to Ford main dealer again on 19th December 2007, they have changed the transmission fluids, checked the wiring and generally cleaned up. However, another test drive showed that the problem is still there. It has now been suggested that the EGR valve needs changing. I am now waiting for Seniors to decide if they want to pay out any more or exchange. C Max has lost all of my confidence. Seniors have been brilliant. They have given me a loan car for the whole period. Cannot praise them enough. But it is now the 12th February 2008 and I am still C Max less.

Submitted: 2008-02-12 | ID: 39970

Christopher Coughlan, Surrey

Ford Focus C-MAX Zetec Diesel Auto 2004

Thought I had the perfect car until it lost power randomly. A really frightening experience. Bought from a car supermarket under warranty. The fiddled with it, had it back three times and then finally sent it to Fords who have had another three attempts. Nearly 4 weeks and still no car. Surely Ford knows about this fault as it’s well documented. My first Ford and hopefully my last.

Submitted: 2008-02-07 | ID: 39971

David Turner, Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2ltr ghia tdci 2004

only had it 2 months, 70000 miles on clock, no rds on radio, known fault, back door started to open itself, scary, back window shades don’t retract too good, apart from these minor details this c max is comfortable and very fast, just started with electronic handbrake fault too, doesn’t come off on first push of switch, takes 2 or 3 goes, Japanese equivalents far better, inside and out, but ford engine is better, had a galaxy for 10 years before this and it knocked the spots off the c max

Submitted: 2008-01-21 | ID: 39969

Peter Jones, Worcestershire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2005

very interesting to read Michael Williams’s report regarding fear factor with his C-Max I have had my 2.00TDCI Ghia for one year having bought it from Brooklyn Ford Evesham. First year only driven by their manager. First time it happened I took it in and because their was no computor indication of the fault they couldn’t find anything, second time they still couldn’t but suggested it was the air filter which they changed, lasted a week before it happened again. Usually it happens when pulling away however last Monday it happened five times and then at 60mph on the motorway and then last Friday and as I had free road in front of me I tested to see how long it would last for before coming off the accelerator( which cures the problem , almost immediately ) and it stayed at 15mph for 500 metres. Back in to Ford this week and hopefully this information will solve the problem....I await in anticipation

Submitted: 2007-12-10 | ID: 39972

Dimitrios Vogiatzis, England

Ford Focus C-MAX 2007

I’m really surprised to find continuously on the Net reports about this car.As an owner I’ve never had any real problems with my 2.0TDCi C-max.As a matter of fact I’ve started to believe that all this kind of malfunctions appears to cars made in G.B. I clearly remember that before ordering my car I asked them where it’s been made and the answer was "Colonia,Germany."I’m really sorry to believe this but till now all bad reports come from U.K. However,those men in Ford should have do ne something in order to save the company’s good profile.Looking forward to read any comments on my report. Dimitris, Hellas

Oh dear, I have always had Land Rover’s and got fed up with things always going wrong! I thought I would be safe as I have a great local garage with good customer service, or have I? I collect mine (deal done today!) on the 11th of August. I have 6 months parts and labour and will keep an eye on the power-steering. I thought I had made such a wise choice. I will report back when I have had some time with car, very suprised and sad to hear about your after-sales experiences. - Susan Bratchie from Sussex

Submitted: 2007-11-14 | ID: 39960

Michael Williams, Bedfordshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCi 2007

Been caught out in some hairy situations, very dangerous pulling into traffic - engine has died no power , has not stalled and power returns pumping accelerator. Spoken to a collegue had the same problem. After two years of investigation, turned out to be the ’air mass sensor after the air filter housing’ . My vehicle currently with Ford to see if they can resolve problem, have informed Ford have to wait and see if they take any notice - would appear to be an inherent fault!

Submitted: 2007-10-12 | ID: 39963

Adrian Hall, Shropshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 TDCi Titanium 2007

The all New Ford C-MAX. Yes, now this is suprising. Never liked the styling on previous models however Ford pushed the boat out with the new one! The Drive was great however even the new car had it’s squeaks and rattles, the Titanium has all the specification one needs and excellent functionality. Being a fan of Diesel cars the 1798 Diesel Engine is the one for me. I think all Ford Diesels are excellent value for money! Titanium specification includes: 17in Multi Spoke Alloys, Air Conditioning, Anti Lock with EBD, Driver Airbag, Electric Park Brake, Fr + Rr Velour Mats, Front Foglamps, Immobiliser, Overhead cons+mirror, Ovrhd Cnsl Wth RrObs, Passenger Airbag, Passenger Seat Adj, Power Rear Windows, Quickclear, Rear Head Restraints, Remote Locking, Side Curtain A/Bag, Solid Paint, Sony Aud/Sngl Slt CD, Sony CD, Span Cloth Upholstry, Split Rear Seat, Volume Sensing Alarm. For full details on this vehicle please got to the Manufacturers site and or visit you local Ford Dealer. Working in Car Finance ’Acorn’. I will say this vehicle offers great value for money when looking at Finance Packages too.

Submitted: 2007-10-02 | ID: 39964

Kris Hyde, Yorkshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2.0 TDCi Ghia 2007

In general, I've found this a comfortable car with plenty of power if needed. The 136bhp 6 speed engine is lively and has considerably more power than the 1.8 model. Incidentally, I test drove the 1.6 and found it underpowered and sluggish (I have a 1.6 Focus for comparison) - I wouldn't recommend this engine size in the Cmax.<br/><br/> Good points:<br/>Exciting engine, pretty good economy (45.2mpg average), the rear sliding seat system is very useful, a large boot and lots of toys including voice recognition, auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming rear view mirror, electronic handbrake, bluetooth, decent stereo etc (note some of these are non-standard extras)<br/><br/> Bad points:<br/> -Unsurprisingly with a higher centre of gravity, it doesn't corner as well as the Focus (which is excellent). However, that said, it is considerably better than I thought it would be and better than many lower cars such as the Peugeot 307.<br/> -The auto wipers even on the most sensitive setting are sometimes not sensitive enough.<br/> -The electronic handbrake takes some getting used to. If it thinks you are on a hill it won't let you take it off unless you depress the foot brake. This requires a new style of hill start where you achieve the biting point without the use of the accelerator. Fortunately the engine / clutch are more than capable of holding it on the hill (and indeed pulling off) without the use of the accelerator. Achievable, but as I said, it takes some getting used to.<br/> -In 6months and 8000miles I've had one fault: The voice recognition unit packed up and was replaced under warranty.<br/><br/> One final point is that before purchasing I read many forums and one common fault with the Cmax relates to some cars frequently stalling when pulling off. I think I may have test driven one car with the fault as I stalled it 3 times in 2miles. Be aware of this on any test drive and don't purchase one with this fault as the forums suggest that Ford don't know how to correct it.<br/> In general, I'm very happy with my purchase and would recommend it.

Submitted: 2007-09-11 | ID: 39962

Andy Bowen, Cheshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 1.8 Zetec 2007

Good Points - Seating, room, comfort(5*), driving fun, gearchange, suspension.<br /><br />Bad points - lots of interior rattles, leak into boot not covered under warranty (12 months only for leaks!!), quality of paintwork. Stalls easily & difficult to start in hot weather.<br /><br />Overall - if the quality was upto the driving experience and comfort I'd give 5 stars.

Submitted: 2007-08-30 | ID: 39966

Darren, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus C-MAX 2007

Although this is a good size family car with lots of gadgets, I feel you could get more for your money on something else.From new I have also experienced a clutch problem where it had to be replaced with less than 2k miles on clock! The same problem has since come back with still less than 10k miles.Dealer has hinted this is not the first time this problem has been reported on the c-max.

Submitted: 2007-07-30 | ID: 39965

• A response has been made to Mark Chilvers (29/05/2014 13:25:25)
  • A response has been made to Chris Parker (25/01/2011 18:22:03)

• rob's question has been answered: "Check the switches in the door shut the tend to corrode or wear out, especially the drivers door as it's the most used one! - Garreth from Kent' '..." (24/08/2014 10:49:47)
  • Jill Field's question has been answered: "It's on the gearbox they bolt into the gearbox just tap it with a hammer on the nut part of it, they get stuck a lot! - Garreth from Kent' '..." (24/08/2014 10:47:00)

Renault Scenic