Ford Focus consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Focus consumer reviews by year of make:1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Ford Focus consumer car reviews

Bernard Forrester, Lancashire

Ford Focus 1600 zetec 2010

Good work horse, roomy enough and nice shape. Seems heavy on steering, but has been very reliable on 20k- 30k since I’ve had it. 34.4 mpg around town.

Submitted: 2013-12-24 | ID: 39848

Eugene Stander, South Africa

Ford Focus 2.0 Si 2005

Great car and I’ve had great service out of mine so far. I bought it from Ford and it was a lease car with 16,875 miles on the clock. I’m on 62,500 miles plus and not a day of problems. It still drives like a new car. It’s got amazing handling in a mountain pass. I’m not one that pushes too high speeds all the time but now and then I’ll test the limit in nice flowing bend and it’s got amazing grip. It’s very easy to work on. I do all my own servicing since the car ran out of the service plan.

Submitted: 2013-10-01 | ID: 39847

Robin Boyd, England

Ford Focus Hatchback 2012

The windscreen wiper on the passenger side my 2012 Ford Focus hatchback hits the edge of the frame and makes a loud banging sound.

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 39843

Robert Henderson, Renfrewshire

Ford Focus Ford Focus ST3 2012

This replaced my Focus RS and the car is excellent apart from the sat/nav, which has many faults and my Ford dealer and Ford technical do not seem to have the information on how to repair. On the main screen when on a selected destination it will show and say turn right in 500 yards and at the same time on the small screen between rev counter and speedo it will show turn right in 500 FEET. Also speed camera warnings are useless as they only show a small triangle (red when on selected route and only give a single "ping sound" a few feet from camera.No lead up audible warning as one gets with Garmins etc.To get prior warning one has to take eyes off road to look at screen-dangerous. The cost of this option from Ford is very expensive and definitely not worth the outlay. In fact it is not fit for purpose.Four months have passed and Ford are no where near to fixing it.One of their comments "its too new" that should not be the buyers problem.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39845

Peter Langridge, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus 115 Zetec Diesel 2010

Bought my car new. It broke down after 12 months and was off the road for 3 weeks with clutch and gear selection problems. 12 months later it broke down again with same problem and was off the road for just over 1 week. Seems it was ’fit a new part each time’ until fault was ’cured’. The car is totally unreliable and fuel consumption is nowhere near those stated in the book details, failing by about 10 mpg and I pride myself on being very frugal. If only I had my 1.8 back with no stop/start to add to any problems and was more economical avereging 64mph

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39846

Rob Hill, Dorset

Ford Focus titanium 2008

Bought our 1.8 petrol Titanium last year and wish I hadn’t. on a couple of times the engine has cut out, but started fine. The dealer can’t find fault. now the a/c has packed up. It’s had a re/gas, but now needs new condenser £400+. I have used the a/c each week to keep it "going", but an independent Ford engineer said a stone is to blame. Rubbish on fuel, only getting 37’ish to gallon. F.O.R.D.-Found On Rubbish Dump!

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 39844

Colin Sears, Hampshire

Ford Focus Titanium 1.0 ecoboost 125 2012

Quite simply an amazing piece of engineering. I am 61 and have driven and owned many cars in my life. Some have been very good and some have been poor, but the all round blend of ride, poise, comfort and accomplishment offered by the Focus is outstanding.

Submitted: 2013-03-30 | ID: 39831

Becken Michael, London

Ford Focus Tdci 1.6 90 h.p. 2006

I bought my Focus in a second hand car fair with high mileage. The car´s superb in almost all respects. It´s comfy enough, safe solid and is pleasent and fun to drive. It’s also ultra economical and its style is modern and attractive. Problems till now? None. The car’s fine!

Submitted: 2013-01-26 | ID: 39832

Steve Daley, Surrey

Ford Focus LS Automatic 2009

Owned the automatic 1.6 petrol ls version of the Focus. Pros: Nice boot space; reliable; nice interior; good looking car. Cons: Heavy on fuel, 17mpg urban and 28 mpg combined; expensive on road tax due to 184 c02 emissions; uncomfortable seats on long journeys. If you are thinking about buying one of these in an automatic keep clear of the 1.6 model as it is very underpowered and feeble considering it is an automatic. I got rid of it in the end, the only reason being the running costs.

You must be unlucky or have a lead foot? I get 28 round town and 44 on motorway - Chris Parkes from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2012-09-25 | ID: 39833

Roy, Bedfordshire

Ford Focus tdci zetec 2007

I had an 07 TDCi Zetec, which ran trouble free for 2 years, so much so that I did not do anything to it. Wrong! I should have serviced it on time as the turbo went one winter’s day (oil went all though turbo), which cost £1400 to get sorted by a local garage as the dealer wanted over £2000 as due to lack of service the warranty was no longer valid. Once a new turbo was fitted, oil change and a complete airway clean out the engine was very, very good once again. The moral of this story? If you have a turbo change the oil at least once a year!

Submitted: 2012-08-25 | ID: 39836

Phil Child, England

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2008

I’ve had my car for three years and although a very good drive, which keeps going no matter what, there are two things which I’d strongly suggest to other owners that I have learnt to do at my cost. 1). Do oil changes more then regularly, it does not only effect the engine but feeds the turbo and any containment will damage the turbo at a cost a 1k+. 2). Get the particle filter checked regularly as there’s no indication it’s blocking, the self clean does not always work and it’s expensive to replace. Both these faults you will be told are common faults AFTER they have gone wrong, and it’s down to poor design.

Submitted: 2012-08-22 | ID: 39835

Mark Rumis, Essex

Ford Focus zetec 1.8 tdi estate 2002

I’ve had a Ford Focus 1.8 tdi for five years with two cam belts, four oil changes and 270065 on the clock. It’s an absolutely wonderful estate car and the 1.8 tdci has a bit more go.

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 39837

Kevin Spicer, Cambridgeshire

Ford Focus ST3 2007

Brilliant car, excellent handeling, lots of torque, comfy seats, a little thirsty but the noise from the 5 cylinders makes up for that. Never fails to put a smile on my face, highly recommended.

Submitted: 2012-07-03 | ID: 39838

Mihangel Ap Gwilym, Isle of Anglesey

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec S 2011

Very reliable and decent MPG, but poor build quality and aftersales from Ford. Poor paint quality, which marks very easily. The driver’s side carpet underlay is soaking wet for no apparent reason and inspite of numerous visits to the dealer, it is still not sorted. It will be going soon as I am fed up with it. I will probably go back to Peugeot, which gave me faultless service for 5 years!

Submitted: 2012-06-30 | ID: 39839

Gary Hipkins, England

Ford Focus 1.6tdci titanium 2012

First let me say I wasn’t a Ford fan until the new Focus came along. I’d looked at all the rivals and mostly they were boring to look at or drive. I came from a new shape Honda Civic, which was a good car although it had a very hard ride, and I didn’t like what Honda had done to the newer shape. (What have they done to the rear lights?) Anyway I’ve had the Focus for 10 months now and I’m glad to say that it is the best car I’ve ever had; brilliant to drive, good turn of speed, an excellent interior, well put together and made of good quality materials. Also all the gagets do what they say. I had slight problem with it running a bit rough for a time, but I took it back to the dealers and they downloaded some new softwear and now it’s running sweet again. I really do enjoy driving this car and if it’s as reliable as my Honda it will be an excellent car.

Submitted: 2012-06-04 | ID: 39842

Robert, England

Ford Focus Titanium 2012

I went from a 03 Mondeo ghia x to a 1.6 petrol Focus titanium and oh, how I’m regretting it. This car is gutless, too small, 30mpg in rush hour traffic, the rear wheel bearings are made of cheese and now to top it all off my engine management light has come on and I think that the engine isn’t cooling down properly. I’ve only owned this car for 1 month and I’m sick of it already. The best thing about the car, honestly, is the stereo! I should of spent a little more money and bought a Golf. The Focus is a rubbish car in any spec.

Well the Titanium 1.6 is useless due to power to weight ratio. Had you bought a 2.0l you would have noticed a huge difference - Nick Blignaut from South Africa

Submitted: 2012-04-03 | ID: 39840

Power full car, nothing wrong with it. Just go for it, trust me!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-29 | ID: 39825

Neil, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.8 Diesel Style 2008

I bought my Focus in March 2011, it had about 33,000 on the clock and still had warranty cover until the November. After about a month or so I noticed juddering so I contacted my local Ford dealer who were frankly useless. I was assured a new fuel filter would solve this problem as Focus’ were prone to this if there was any dirt in the filter. This didn’t solve the issue. I visited another Ford dealer who wasn’t my local branch. They told me the software needed to be updated and this would solve the problem. As it is now six weeks out of warranty I’ll have to pay. But! And this is the painful part, I was also told the clutch release bearings are worn and it would cost me £1200 to replace. All this on a car barely over 3 years old and with now only 35,000 on the clock. I’ve contacted Ford customer service twice now as I think this is very bad for such a young car. As I anticipated though, I’ve had no reply. I previously had Peugeots and both of them exceeded 100,000 miles without anything so major going wrong. This is my first Ford and frankly I am appalled at the standard of them. Ford are not interested in even replying let alone offering any form of goodwill. I aspired to own a Focus as my father owned the mk1 version and it’s been perfect for nearly 10 years. Even he is disgusted by what’s happened with this car and, like myself, will not be purchasing another Ford.

An update on this: Ford customer care contacted me and although both people I spoke to were very helpful the bottom line is Ford deem it acceptable for a clutch to need major repair work even at 35,000 miles. And it is just classed as normal wear and tear. After forking out just under £9,000 for this second hand car I expected more. First chance I get the car will be sold and I will never touch a Ford again - from Yorkshire

Gee whiz second hand you say. Mmmm let me think. Perhaps the previous person/persons drove the clutch to the condition in which it was and then you came along and it decided to pack up due to previous abuse. Just a thought - from South Africa

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 39828

Peter Greenwood, England

Ford Focus 2.0 tdci diesel 2011

I’ve had five focuses so far. My 2.0 litre, 6 box tdci is excellent on speed, roomy and fuel effecient. I love it and it’s my 1st diesel. Wow!

Submitted: 2012-01-08 | ID: 39827

Jim James, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.8tdci zetec 2009

This is my fourth Focus and my second diesel. All have been ultra reliable and brilliant to drive. So far no problems at all and I enjoy driving it every time I go out. Diesels get over 50 mpg and considering how they whizz along this is quite remarkable. I find comments on bulid quality a bit unfair as they are often compared to VWs when thay are not in that price bracket. Buy a second hand one and you get a real bargain. You really have to take one on a quick sprint along some twisty B roads to appreciate the handling.

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 39817

Charlie Westen, Wiltshire

Ford Focus ZETEC 1.6 MANUAL 2002

I love my car to bits. It’s great to drive and only has 55k on the clock which is genuine and it’s like having a newer car. My sister has a 1.4 2007 reg with 53k and paid £7000 I paid £2,500 when it was only 44k so I think it was a steal. The only issue I have is my nearside rear bearing; I had the bearings and drum changed 10months ago and now the whirly noice has returned and another garage have said it’s another £200 for the bearings to be replaced again. I must say I’m a bit disappointed at that and I hope this isn’t going to be a yearly issue as my others are fine?! I find that odd. But regardless of that it’s a great family car and I plan on keeping it for many years.

Just for peace of mind, if the bearings keep going, could be that the geometry of the car has been compromised ie: a smack can reflect on the price as well. Hope that I am wrong, does it break in a straight line if you let go of the steering wheel? - from England

Submitted: 2011-10-31 | ID: 39818

Al, England

Ford Focus 2011

My petrol engine model was completely gutless from the start and after less than 2 weeks ended up in the garage. It coughed whilst driving at speed on the dual carriageway and pulling out at junctions and roundabouts became terrifying. It has been there over 7 weeks now and despite the garage trying lots of different things and being in contact with Ford engineers, it still isn’t fixed. I’d be very wary of buying one of these until Ford get their act together. I am really disappointed as it seemed a nice car, but I’m not able to drive it.

Although I don’t own the new model, my 2007 Focus has just cost me £800 to change broken valves in the cylinder. Only had the car just over a year and this shouldn’t happen in a car with low mileage ie. 35k. Even Ford said this was highly unusual! My advice is to stay clear of Ford full stop, I wish I had - Sara Bignell from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-10-05 | ID: 39820

George, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium 2008

Really bought as a "stop gap" when needing a car in a hurry and offered a good deal by local dealer, and took a Titanium as that was the only 2.0TDCI available. I find the spec rather bizarre eg. heated seats (why with cloth trim?), but no climate control, which I find unforgiveable on a supposed top spec car. General driving is ok, with reasonable performance and economy and a decent sized boot. It has a Weird seating position, which feels mpv-like even with the seat at the lowest setting. Also the vehicle seems to ride 1-2" too high as if the suspension has been raised in an (unsuccessful) attempt to improve the ride, but to the considerable detriment of the handling (too much roll, very vague steering). I have had some problems with erratic running; stalling, accelerating on shut throttle, which is rather disturbing. I took it for its first service today and was told an updated engine management software has been uploaded; I hope this helps. Overall, not a bad car (especially for price paid), but certainly not the involving drive promised by various reviews and (in my opinion) nowhere near as good a drive as earlier Focuses or the current Fiesta.

Submitted: 2011-09-30 | ID: 39822

David, Northumberland

Ford Focus Titanium 1.6 TDCi 2010

Before buying we read various magazines and websites to qualify our choice. The 1.6 TDCi came out top. We bought a full option (leather,Sat nav, Zenon follow me headlights,rain sensor wipers etc.) model. I must admit one year on I find the road noise unbearable, the seat comfort poor on long runs and the diesel engine, in my view, is noisy during urban runs. We get 54 MPG max which is not bad? Worst of all is the depreciation of the model and the new model is cheaper even though they have applied better technology. Too many on the road they say and Ford’s part ex offer is derisory. So we are getting rid of it and although it has all the bells and whistles I will not be sad to see it go.

I have just been given a 1.6 tdci Focus hatchback as a company car on a 61 plate. The car is easy to drive and fairly comfortable but I find the road noise on certain surfaces very loud and even with the radio on you can still hear it. Very poor for a car which only has 12,000 on the clock. I drive all day and by the end of it I cannot wait to have some piece and quiet. Looking at the reviews, this seems to be a common problem with the Focus - Andrew Goodall from Hampshire

I HAVE A FORD FOCUS 1.6 TDCI 61 PLATE AND I AM ON THE ROAD ALL DAY AND I FIND THE ROAD NOISE UNBEARABLE. I SPOKE TO FORD ABOUT THIS ON LAST SERVICE AND TOLD THEM TO CHECK STEEERING ETC AND THEY SAID THERE WAS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. THEY DIDN T SEEM TO THINK THE ROAD NOISE WAS A PROBLEM. BELIEVE ME IT IS. SOME SURFACES ITS LIKE A TANK. IT IS A COMPANY CAR SO NOT ALOT I CAN DO . BUT I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND A FOCUS TO ANYONE. - from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-09-19 | ID: 39823

Mike, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Petrol 2008

Bought this car with 3,000 mile on the clock, amazing car to drive, had no problems with reliability. The engine is plenty big enough, easily enough power to overtake and pull away from junctions. Overall, a brilliant car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-09-06 | ID: 39816

Jim Tanner, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 sport 2010

I am very pleased with my Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Zetec, although I am only getting 40 mpg instead of the 52mpg Ford indicate. I like the headlights, the boot space and the room inside the car; my last car was a Ford Mondeo 2 ltre, but the Focus is still very good compared with that. The car is in white, which looks very nice, the car is one year old and is soon due for its first service, I paid for the 3 year servicing so it should not cost anything. The ride is a litle harsh, but this maybe due to mine being the Sport model? I don’t know. I would recommend the Focus, but as I have said, do not expect as many miles to the gallon as Ford advertise.

Submitted: 2011-08-16 | ID: 39815

Rob Welch, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Tdci 110bhp Titainum 2005

Best car we have ever had: 58.4mpg, handles really well, 3 door face lift version. The only fault in five years is the fuel sender which tells lies. It says it’s 1/4 full when really it’s empty. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 39814

Chris Benson, England

Ford Focus 1.6 lx 1999

I’ve got a Focus 1999-2000 reg, petrol, five door 1.6lx, but it seems to be having problems because dark grey smoke is coming out of the exhaust and manifold under the bonnet. To be honest I’ve been looking this up on the internet and can’t seem to find advice why this is happening. I would say it’s a pretty annoying problem. The Focus is an ok car, this is the first one I’ve had. I only got it today and I’m having this problem already so it’s kind of put me off the Focus, even though I like the look and how comfortable they are.

Submitted: 2011-07-01 | ID: 39813

Rebecca, Middlesex

Ford Focus 1.6 lx automatic 2005

Bought the 1.6 lx automatic Focus in 2006 when it was a year old and for three years the car was absolutely brilliant with no problems at all. BUT it’s started to go down hill quite rapidly: The car has done 34,000 genuine miles and been regularly maintained, however, at 4 years old the offside wishbone needed replacing then at year 5 the nearside one also had to be replaced. OK not too bad so far, now the major issue is the spark plugs filling up with rusty water and causing the engine management light to flash on and off. This problem is a common fault with the Focus and although Ford knew about it and were going to recall the cars, in the end they never did anything. (and some will deny all knowledge!) The concensus of opinion is the water either comes from the badly designed water jets (which sit directly over the engine) or its water "from somewhere" getting into the core plugs. All this is expensive to try and sort out (which doesn’t always happen) so your back and forth to the garage spending lots of £’s each time. Until this nightmare developed I was very happy with the car, now I wouldn’t advise anyone to chance buying a Focus because when it goes wrong it certainly goes wrong in a big and expensive way. So beware: as long as it doesn’t rain, you don’t use the windscreen washer/wipers, don’t wash the car and most definitely don’t put the Focus through a car wash, you might be lucky and escape this common fault.

I am having similar issues with my 2006 registered 1.6LX, worked wonderful for four years but has developed a fault such that it jerks and loses power on accelerating. I have had several trips to the garage to fix it, with the "heating circuits changed". It helps for a few weeks and the problem re-emerges - from Leicestershire

I had a speedo stop working on a Fiat Ducato, which is the same van after all. It was a sensor in the gearbox but the garage swapped over the whole box telling me the box was sealed and non serviceable. It wasn’t my problem fortunately because it was still (just) in warranty. God only knows what a new box would have cost me along with fitting - Steve Blacker from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-05-13 | ID: 39796

Jamie McNiece, Northern Ireland

Ford Focus 1.6 100 Zetec Sport 2009

Bought my Focus in 2009 from Linsday Ford in Craigavon. With 33,000 Miles on the car I am far from pleased with the car. Firstly you can’t carry petrol to it, I am constantly putting petrol in it. Secondly I don’t find the seats comfortable on long journeys and tend to have a sore rear end. Also on anything but the smoothest surfaces the road noise is unbearable and you tend to be turning up the radio quite loud. Lastly the cabin quality isn’t anything to shout about, the lower dash and door panels are very scratchy and quite uninspiring to look at. Moreover, I have had a few electrical glitches where the radio sometimes wouldn’t work or the door locks wouldnt flick open. Also the heated windscreen is bit of a gimmick, the heater in my wifes 2004 307 CC demists the windscreen faster in the cold mornings. Overall I wish I didn’t buy the car, I was looking at a new Peugoet 308 or Astra and I wish I bought one of them instead!

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 39800

Lorraine Motley, Surrey

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6d Sport 2009

Got this with sat nav, tinted windows and I love it. Never had a problem, had it serviced first time last month (on a 09 plate!) still drives like new. Sometimes a bit gutless when pulling away if you don’t quite catch it but only £30 a year road tax on a 1.6 diesel, i’ll put up with it. Overall excellent car.

Submitted: 2011-04-30 | ID: 39799

Rob Skulte, Warwickshire

Ford Focus Titanium 2010

Have tried all ways to set the steering to comfort or sport, but nothing comes up on the menu. Would like to use comfort as I use hand controls and standard gets heavy on a long run.

Submitted: 2011-03-04 | ID: 39788

Shane, Ireland

Ford Focus 1.4 Zetec connection 2007

I bought a 2007 3dr Focus from new and still have it. But one regret I have is not getting a bigger engine. The 1.4 is so sluggish and under powered. 80hp in a car that size just isn’t enough. In the 4 years I’ve owned it I’ve only had one problem, a pipe for the powersteering burst, wasn’t an expensive fix either so didn’t really mind. All in all very happy with the car.. Time now for an st!!

How much did you pay?! - Nick Kuti from England

Submitted: 2011-02-09 | ID: 39789

Charlene Hughes, County Armagh

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 SPORT 2006

I bought my Focus in October 2006 and I’ve hated it ever since! I sold my old 2000 Peugeot 206 1.9d to my sister and decided to buy this car and I truely regretted selling the Peugeot, it never gave me any trouble at all and to this day my sister is still driving about in it and has still had no problems with the car! The Focus isn’t nice to drive, it’s uncomfortable to sit in and is generally unreliable. The engine has been a big problem in terms of not wanting to start, also the turbo had to be replaced. The interior is horrible, lots of the dash panels have either fallen off or are about to fall off! I had to get 2 new shock absorbers for the back when the car was still in warranty, I took it to Ford themselves and they refused to fix it under warranty because "It was my fault, not the cars". I’m a 28 Year Old hair dresser, not Colin McRae! In the end I got 2 new shocks off a Focus from the scrapyard. My friend in work has an 07 308 HDi 1.6 Sport and she hasn’t had any problems at all since she has owned it, I find it a lovely car to drive, fantastic looking, lovely and comfortable and really economical! Guess what my next car will be (308)... Overall, Dont buy a Ford Focus!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-29 | ID: 39792

Jen, Lancashire

Ford Focus 1999

Bought ours 2 years ago (T reg) from local guy with full service history. It has been the best car ever! When this one finally decides to give up, we are definatly getting another. Only thing I can fault it on is the window misting up but that’s not the end of the world : )

Submitted: 2011-01-28 | ID: 39791

Michael, Devon

Ford Focus 2006

After 3 years happy motoring (car bought 1 year old in Sep 2007) the faults appear to mounting alarmingly. Little did I know when I purchased this car that I needed to replace the Diesel Particulate Filter every 37K (at a cost of £400), however, every time I take it for service it seems uncanny that a further fault needs attention! The car is approaching 70K miles and the bills just keep on coming! The latest problem to appear is a high-pitched screeching noise from the engine compartment when I accelerate to above 2000revs (in any gear). Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was needed to rectify it? Make no mistake, this is a good car to drive but reliability is becoming an increasing problem - so much so that I’ll be going elsewhere for my next car.

Regarding your dpf, I have a Citroen C5 diesel with a dpf and it will self clean if periodically driven at around 2-2500 revs for about 10 mins. The problem arises if the car is in slow or start/stop traffic so every so often give it some welly and that should prolong its life. My dpf should have been replaced at 75k but it’s currently on 78k so fingers crossed on mine. With all the problems that diesels have (dpf, dual mass flywheels and clutches, turbos etc) is it really worth it - cheaper tax, slightly better mpg over an economical petrol car. I am looking for a petrol car but her indoors must not know about until I’ve got it - Keith Morshead from Berkshire

Submitted: 2011-01-19 | ID: 39794

Henry Richards, England

Ford Focus 2007

I’ve had a couple of problems whilst I’ve owned my car mainly bushes going first on my suspension now they have worn on my steering arm but other than that its an excellent car I’m really happy I bought it.

Submitted: 2011-01-16 | ID: 39793

Keith G, Staffordshire

Ford Focus 16 tdci 109 bhb 2005

Very good car, it has done 187000 miles some of it pulling a 6 berth caravan.

Submitted: 2010-11-14 | ID: 39812

James Tanner, Buckinghamshire

Ford Focus 2010

We purchased our brand new ford focus sport on 1st August 2010, we are very pleased with it. it is a brilliant white, which we think, (my wife and I) that the colour sets it off. It is keyless ignition and has a multitude of extras, the dash mounted menu set up takes a while to get adjusted too. the mpg is not as good as the brochure says, that says 52 mpg extra urban, the best we have got is 43 extra urban, this may improve as the car is "run in". We are impressed with Perrys of high Wycombe, who have telephoned us twice to enquire if we are satisfied with our choice, which we are. The salesman at Perrys was excellent, explaining everything to my wife and I, and made us feel as if we were the only customers that he had to deal with, and yet there were other customers waiting to see him.

Thanks Mr Tanner, I have just bought a Focus Zetec and your review was helpful - Marianne Garety from Scotland<br /> <br />

Submitted: 2010-11-01 | ID: 39810

Paul Rowles, Kent

Ford Focus Ghia Tdci 2007

Bought our car in 2007. It is a Ford Focus Ghia Tdci. We bought it for cash. Never again because there is very bad after sales service. Flywheel went wrong and then the parking sensors. Then pipe in the steering and now for no apparent reason the plastic surrounding the control panel has started to crack and this does not come under the warranty and they expect us to pay £400 to have it repaired. We have always bought Fords but after this experience would not again. If we had known the problems we would have gone for a less expensive car because we feel we have wasted £13,000.

Submitted: 2010-09-07 | ID: 39802

Lucy, Somerset

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2007

Bought this car in 2007, lovely to drive, handles really well, decent enough power for engine size. Lovely spacious boot, easily large enough for a  double buggy, plus associated ’essential’ junk! Had no real problems with the car, except exhaust rust and one on occasion ’blowing out’ on the motorway... but it was still driveable to garage! Great petrol consumption, smart interior and there are 116,000 miles on the clock and no sign of the power loss mentioned in other reviews. Fingers crossed that continues! Would buy again, and now looking for an RS!

Submitted: 2010-09-06 | ID: 39804

Jessica Wilson, England

Ford Focus 1999

I bought a Ford Focus and wish I never did. It’s been nothing but pay, pay, pay since I got it. Before I had a little Fiesta and regret letting it go. The Focus has had new speed sensor, new air flow meter, new spark plugs and leads basically new everything and it’s still losing power. I would never ever buy a Focus again, nice car but burns a hole in your pocket.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-05 | ID: 39803

Colin Whittock, Cambridgeshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Style Duratec 100PS 2007

Having had a Vectra SRI, it took a long time to get used to a smaller less powerful car and TBH, I hated it. But, it’s grown on me. It seemed the Focus was not as economical as the more powerful Vectra (and that still holds true) but you have to drive economically to achieve best results from the Focus. The best economy comes in speed bands. Its more economical at 36mph than 30, more economical at 65mph than 50mph...and so on. Use the computer, you soon see where it works best. If you drive it hard, you’re going to gulp the fuel. I guess the 100PS engine just isnt quite powerful enough for economy. Its zippy, but if you’re a tightwad like me...its hurts your pocket. I’ve had it about a year...its ok on long journeys, its ok round town if you avoid constant stop starts (that really hits the economy). Everything works as it should, no reliabilty issues. Nothing bad to say really other than the tyres are a bit noisy and the engine a bit raucous...but it is a relatively base model. I’d definately buy another Focus, but perhaps a more powerful version. Constant stop start town driving, IRO 35mpg. Urban driving at say 35mph, IRO 50mpg. Motorway driving at 65, IRO 46mpg. You can guess I’m not in love with it, but it’s grown on me. I may even be converted to Fords.

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 39801

Chris Turner, Scotland

Ford Focus 1.8TDDi Zetec 1999

My car is actually a 1999 Ford Focus (2000 is the earliest choice for leaving a review?! On a car that was launched in 1998...). Anyway, it’s a 1.8TDDi-powered 5-door hatchback with Zetec trim. I have owned it for almost six years now, And I love it! I should state that I am a mechanic, so I do all of the servicing and repair work on my car. I change the oil at 5,000 mile/ 12 month intervals, I clean the K&N air filter every 2 years, I change the fuel filter at 15,000 miles or 2 years, and the timing belt at 50,000 miles (or I may give it five years depending on usage) The Focus has always had a reputation for being a bit heavy on wheel bearings, and mine is no exception. I always have a spare brake drum in my lock up with a new bearing fitted - although my current set have actually lasted me quite a while this time! The TDDi’s Achilles heel is the fuel injection pump electronics. The Bosch VP-30 fuel pump, and the similar Bosch VP-44 (as fitted to Audis, and some Vauxhalls, among other things), both have a reputation for failing without warning, and sadly my Focus suffered this fate last year. However, because there’s a lot of sentimental value attached to my car, I went out and bought a reconditioned fuel pump from a Bosch approved service centre, and fitted it myself along with all new gaskets, pipework, and a new timing belt kit along with new camshaft and fuel pump gears. Beyond that, my car has only suffered the normal wear and tear items: Brakes, tyres, a couple of bushes, the occasional ball joint, and a steering rack at 160,000. And over the past 2 years I’ve gradually replaced all the brake pipes with new copper replacements. Given that it is knocking on for 11 years old, and it now has over 200,000 miles on the clock, I can’t really complain I love driving my car. Even with over 200,000 miles on the clock, the suspension feels nice and tight, and it is a confidence inspiring car in the corners - the harder you corner, the more it grips! The engine is sweet as a nut, and besides my fuel pump problem, I’ve only had to replace a fuel injector pipe (£25 for a set of four in 2005) and a turbo boost hose (I paid £60 for a set of blue silicone replacements), and just today, the oil pressure switch (£15). Again, on a car with over 200,000 miles, that’s very good going! The engine still pulls like a train, and still returns an easy 50MPG. There is only one downside to owning a pre-2001 TDDi, and that is the road tax. Pre-2001 cars fall into the "over 1549cc" tax band and pay £205 for a year (2010 rates), whereas post-2001 cars have 143g/km emissions and currently pay just £125 for a year. However, that is not the fault of the car, but the fault of the government. Everything else about my car - the way it looks, the way it drives, the easy maintenance, the reliability, the fuel economy, the comfortable interior (which is still looking new) - I just love. Back when I bought the car, my dad was adamant I’d be disappointed and want to replace it within 12 months. 6 years on, and I want to keep it for another 6 years at least!

Chris, thanks for your great report. I’ve had my 1999 1.8 Zetec petrol for 7 years now and it is a very good car. I also drive a Honda NSX and a single-seater race car, so have no doubt when I say the Focus is a great drive. I wonder if the rear wheel bearing wear because the rear wheels work so hard in the corners when compared to other cars...that’s a positive by the way. I read your review only as I’m considering changing to a 2009 version. The Mk 2 was a design disaster, whereas the Mk 1 looks fresh and up to date even now. My only dissappointment is my air-con is dead; a leak in the evaporator under the dash we believe, not an easy fix. I am nervous about changing to the larger, heavier versions in case I lose the agility and driving feel that my Mk 1 has. Have you any thoughts/opinions on the 2008-2010 ’facelift’ model? I am thinking of the 1.8 petrol Titanium version - David Garnett from Gloucestershire

Submitted: 2010-07-22 | ID: 39805

Patrik Sestak, England

Ford Focus 5 door tdci 110hp 2005

I bought this car 2 months ago from private seller and after 3 weeks starts my nightmare. First, what I’m doing when I buy new car is changing oil and oil filter. Mechanic in service said that was on time to change...? With new oil car starts driving like old 50kw diesel, noisy with shaking, losing power. When I opened the hood on engine there was oil leak. This cost me £200 for diagnosis and fix oil leak, changed some plastic on turbo. For noise, shaking and lack of power diagnose says: egr fault, flywheel fault - repair in High Wycombe, Bosch service cost £1600 :D very expensive parts for this engine, "special" dual mass flywheel. cool. After changing the flywheel and egr after 20 miles dies alternator. Nice. What can I say? Nothing, back to service, fitted new alternator. Driving back home, oil pressure warning light comes on!!! Now I was not sure what is wrong ’cause car was driving smooth so I drove to nearest service in Aylesbury. 6th service wants to take the car for repair. After 30 minutes waiting they said that it’s oil pressure switch fault but they don’t have it and I must wait another day. Cost me £71. One more thing is windscreen and rubber around it. 5 years old car and this rubber is hard and coming off from glass. I need to change it and thank god for insurance costs me only £75. What a luck. Car got 98650miles, when I bought was 98050, so just 600 hundred miles in 2 months and 90 percent to service. All this cars around 100k are expensive to repair, expensive for parts, especially euro 4 with special filter for £1000 new. I’m happy that mine is just euro 3. Never, never Focus with this engine, for me never in my life Ford again. Lovely my last volkswagen passat with 1.9tdi engine best diesel ever made.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39807

Jonathan Thompson, England

Ford Focus 1.6 Sport 2006

I’ve had my 06 Focus 1.6 Sport for 6 months now and I’m a regular at the petrol station. What a pig on fuel this is. I wouldn’t mind if it had a bit of get up and go but it doesn’t. It’s been into Ford for hard starting and detonation issues. It had the computer updated and the trouble is still there. I’d hoped the update would have improved the gas guzzling but it’s still at it. The detonation while accelerating is really bugging me and as for motorway driving, its great until I need to pass someone and god help me if its up hill. You can drop a gear or even two if you really feel optimistic but all it will do is suck down more fuel and it still won’t perform. The average fuel consumption on a long run, 500 miles plus, is 36 mpg. I can get that from a Discovery diesel. Ford say everything is ok. I think not. I’ve been a professional driver for 20 years, I know how to do the eco drive, the Focus does not.

Hi mate, I have a 06 focus sport 1.6 and I know it does lack power and guzzles a fair bit of petrol but I find it still quick pokey. I got the 3 dr version and I’ve done a bit of colour coding on it and changed air filter to a k and n one, and gave it a full service and mine seems quick quick most of the time. Ok it would be great to have a better interior, more power than standard 98bhp but with added power comes higher running and up keep costs. I’ll be keeping this ’til the st or rs is within my budget and insurance - David Boughtwood from Cambridgeshire

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39808

Allan Thomson, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 2009

I have bought a 10 month old Ford Focus Zetec 1.6, prior to that I had a 1.6 Ford Fusion. I am actually getting a better miles to the gallon with the Focus, never below 40 mpg, also its quiter, smoother and more comfortable. On the motorway in fifth gear, if you have to overtake , there is plenty of power there, just have to press the accelarator a little bit more. All in all a great roomy car and a better looker than the original Ford Focus.

Submitted: 2010-07-04 | ID: 39787

Janet Thurling, Lancashire

Ford Focus 2009

Our 2009 Ford Focus decided that after being with us for just TWO weeks it would suddenly roll down our drive with the handbrake FULL on and smash into the drive gates!! The car had been parked for nearly 2 hours when we heard the loud smash. We ran out to find it embedded in the drive gates. FUNNILY enough the dealership we bought it from suddenly wanted nothing to do with us saying it was an insurance job and no concern of theirs!

Funny enough mine did that. I was parked in the city centre for about two hours and it rolled back stopped then rolled back again into another parked car. There was no damage but two police officers were there waiting for me as it was behind a station. Funny thing is I have my car fully cctv system and watched it with the officers they were amazed to see it happen and my handbrake was on fully too, mind you there was a church near us and the Police just said "okay, have a nice day" and ran - Ken Conway from Northumberland

Submitted: 2010-06-27 | ID: 39785

Mrs Smith, England

Ford Focus 1.6 zetec 2009

I’ve had my 1.6 zetec for 9 months I use it for mainly motorway driving, It is great for long journeys and has the speed when you need it, I just wish it was better on fuel as now looking for new car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 39784

Phil Taylor, Lancashire

Ford Focus Titanium 2.0 TDCi 2010

They are great cars. It’s my first TDCi engine and will not be my last! The torque is superb, my only gripe is its narrow rpm range but still you can not have it all...

Submitted: 2010-06-10 | ID: 39777

Kathleen, United States of America

Ford Focus 2010

Road noise is driving me bonkers!! Bought the car new. Dealer in my area (St Louis, MO) states that they hear "nothing". Everyone that rides in this vehicle comments on the LOUD noise. Everyone. New tires did not seem to relieve the situation. Numerous shop visits - "nothing wrong....no noise". I know I am not deaf. Any suggestions????

I have the same problem with my 2010 Focus SE. At least the dealers here are honest and acknowledge the noise. They say it’s the tires that they are "feathered" maybe due to past misalignment. They checked the alignment (free) but did not help. I’m not sure if it is indeed the tires or something in the drivetrain; not willing to forkout $$ for new tires on a car with only 13,500 miles. Please let us know if you discover the problem with yours - from United States of America

Is the road noise a vibration/shimmy coming through the body of the car? We have taken it back five times and tyres have been replaced 3 times with 7000K on the clock (3500mile). It is not a tyre issue. Go to an independent mechanic and get a report as to the problem then take it back to the dealer. This is not the only case of this type - many other complaints have been made but smoothed over. This is a product recall being avoided - Stu Coles from Australia

Submitted: 2010-06-08 | ID: 39781

Kathleen, United States of America

Ford Focus 2010

Road noise is driving me bonkers!! I bought the car new from a dealer in my area (St Louis, MO). They state that they hear "...nothing". Everyone that rides in this vehicle comments on the LOUD noise. Everyone. New tyres did not seem to relieve the situation. Numerous shop visits - "...nothing wrong....no noise". I know I am not deaf. Any suggestions????

This contributor is obviously referring to a USA car which is a completely different car. This review should be removed. - from

I have a 56 plate 1.6 Zetec mark 2 and the road noise is terrible. I had an 03 plate 1.6 Zetec mark 1 before and road noise was much, much less - Rob Carter from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2010-06-08 | ID: 39778

Sharren Hussey, England

Ford Focus 1.8tdci sport 2006

I purchased my car alomost four years ago now but in the last year it has cost me over £500 for having things repaired. First it was the alternator and now whilst driving my car the whole power went and the enginer failure light came on. I turned the engine off and restarted it and it seemed fine but then it happened again whilst going around a very busy island. This is the third time this has now happened but does anyone know what could cause this fault? I have always had Ford cars since I started driving but this car has put me off ever buying another in the future!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-25 | ID: 39776

Adam Pegler, Hampshire

Ford Focus Style 1600 2007

I bought my Focus in 2009, I’ve had it for about a year now. It was and is a brilliant car. The speed is fantastic it’s comfortable and economic. At first I had trouble with second gear and ended up taking it back to Ford to replace the Gearbox (under warranty). I now have another issue. Does anyone elses Focus have a hole in the carpet behind the clutch Pedal? It’s where the PAS pipe goes through to the Steering. My pedal became caught on this and caused me to crash. I was wondering if anyone had experienced the same problem? I am currently trying to get them to repair under manufacturer warranty but with difficulty. I’ve looked up images on the web and managed to see that mine is not the only one. If you would let me know about this little problem your help would be greatfully recieved.

Well well, yes I have had tremendous like for like problems with the brand new 1.8 Zetec Ghia Focus, an absolutely horrid new car. I had it back in 99, the same fault as yours, finally repaired under warranty but other faults were that the brakes squealed constantly on cold; front tyres rubbed badly under braking; the finish was generally poor for a new car; loads of expensive defects so I got rid at a mere 18,000 miles. The dealers were disgraceful; Ford customer services were careless. Go along to your nearest Kia dealership and try the new Ceed SW 1.6 GRDi turbo - without doubt the best car build quality - spec 3 comes with duel control climate and the best fuel at motorway limits (66 to 72 mpg); the best interior quality (up to Audi/BMW standards). Simply great – Mercs are rubbish; Ford has upped prices but lost quality. Quite frankly, the Ceed with its 7 yr warranty is honestly the best spec car ever for around 15k - Jon de Quincy from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-05-21 | ID: 39774

Ian, Berkshire

Ford Focus Ghia 2.0L 2002

I bought my 2002 Ford Focus 2.0 litre Ghia in 2004 for £8000 second hand from a Ford Dealer. The handling was and still is, brilliant. The ride is great. The escalation is average for a 2.0 litre engine. Body work has only minor scratches through normal wear and tear so still looks good. Same for the interior - still looks good. Some things have not lasted of course. Front tyres wear out pretty quickly but that is mainly due to my driving - well since the handling is so good you just have to push it through the corners dont you?!?! So what else has been replaced?....well the sump was replaced in 2009 due to rust - should have been done before that but I had no money. The wheel bearings and rear suspension link arm bushes were worn in 2009 so replaced for £600. Headlights and reverse lights were replaced once in its life. Break discs and pads as per any other car were replaced a couple of times (again more to do with my driving :-) ) Other than that there has been little or no problems with this car. It’s the car that keeps on giving. Long live the Ford Focus. Mine did. However today I have sold my Ford Focus after 8 years of its life with me for £2500 as part exchange. I thought it was worth more. On Wednesday I get my new car which is not a Focus but a Golf. I will be sad to see that Focus go. Wonderful car. In 2011 the new Focus comes out and I hope I need a second car at that point in time so I can buy another Focus again.

I bought my 02 Focus about 2 and a half years ago and it has been a great car. It was previously salvaged so it only had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it it - now has 133,00 and I really haven’t had to do much work on it except the expected to maintenance a vehicle. Here, recently, we had some severe storms and I accidentally had no choice but to drive it through 16 inches of water and water logged it. The mechanic said it’s done for but this Ford takes a licking and keeps on ticking, so I am hoping to salvage it and get another 100,000 out of it, but who knows, they really are excellent cars and I kinda hate to see mine at it’s end too. Good luck to you and your new car, I hope it is Ford strong! - from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 39772

Adrian, England

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI 2002

Bought the 1.8 TDCI with 72k on the clock and have had nothing but truble the aircon failed and now the dual mass flywheel clutch is rattling and banging away; lucky the job isnt beyond my own capabilitys as the cheapest clutch kit I found is £360. I think Ford need to do something about this problem, I have had diesel cars now for around 20 years and never had problems like this before, DMFs suck big time. It wouldn’t be so bad if they were cheaper to buy, Ford wanted £1200 to do the clutch; that is so silly as I only paid £1800 for the car. The seats are hard and uncomfortable, the engine is very fast it’s the 115hp one I have. The car itsself feels like it’s made out of tin foil, dents very easily, paint marks very easily. I was expecting more as I’ve been thinking about getting one of these for a long time and now I wish I had just held on to my Citroen Picasso 2.0HDI that I had for two years and never had to do a thing to it, other than tyres and front springs but that’s it. If you want a good car that won’t brake down and cost an arm and a leg don’t buy a Focus get a Picasso.

Submitted: 2010-04-18 | ID: 39770

Paula Hynds, County Tyrone

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi 115 ZETEC 2003

Hi, I bought my Zetec TDCI Focus brand new in May 2003 and it wasnt great. I recently crashed it and have replaced it with a lovely HDI 308 SPORT. The Focus started playing up after 2 years with the speedometer not telling me the MPH and RPM. Then the button on the dash for opening the boot quit working and radio would jump stations by itself, to be honest that was all little niggles. But the big expensive problems started around early 2008. Frstly in order to get it into 3rd gear when accelerating from a junction I would have to rev it over 3500 rpm for it to go into gear. Then in the mornings it struggled to start even though it was during the summer months, I got it checked by the AA and Ford themselves and they said it was 100%. So when it came to the winter it simply would not start and it had a new battery. The heater plugs were changed loads of time hoping it would cure the slow starting but it never helped. I had 137000 miles on it when I crashed it and I’m glad to see the back of it. It wasn’t started for over 6 days due to it’s shocking reliability. Not a good car!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-25 | ID: 39771

John Tyas, Oxfordshire

Ford Focus Silver 2002

Brammer car, I have had no problems with this car so far. I am hoping that it keeps me on the road for a few more years as well; I am sure it will, not been let down by FORD before.

Following on from my previous review, the car has now done 111,000 and about to sell it. No problems over the years, although 1.6 lacks any get-up-and-go on inclines - from Devon

Totally agree, Ford’s are really built strong. I have an 02 Ford Focus - it has been a good car for me for the last 2 and a half years. I have gotten 101,000 out of it and it would still be running if I hadn’t of had bad luck in some storms and got flooded out. Who knows, it may even run again but I’m sure you will get your money worth! - from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39767

Mo Gordon, County Fermanagh

Ford Focus 1.6 Ghia 2002

I have had this car for 5 years with no problems. Have it serviced regularly and I do a lot of miles each year. A problem has arisen after driving on pot holes left by frost. My speedometer has stopped working and the volume on the radio is rising and dropping at will at the same time. This can be quite alarming as I am not too sure of exactly what speed I am doing at any given time. The mileage clock does not register the miles I do when the speedometer is at zero. What can the problem be? I have been told I could be needing a sensor, a coil pack or an air coolant thingy?! Any ideas Please?!

A lot of these had problems with the instrument cluster, speak to your dealer as they should replace it at a discounted cost - Anna Rack from Kent

It is almost certainly the speed sensor. I had the same problem. The speed sensor can be a bit difficult to get at so I had mine replaced by local Ford dealer, should not be too expensive. The reason the radio volume goes up and down is because there is an automatic volume control to compensate for increased road noise at speed, this is fed from signals to the ECU so that when it gets a signal from the speed sensor it adjusts the radio’s volume. Hope this helps - Ken Brown from Staffordshire

Mo, have you got the problem fixed? If you haven’t then it could be a cluster problem, its quite a common problem and will cost £99 to fix at the Ford dealers. If you search google for a cluster problem there is a lot more detail for a temporary fix using wd40 - from England

Submitted: 2010-01-28 | ID: 39763

Craig Bennet, Somerset

Ford Focus ST170 2003

A very reliable and good fun car. Had it 3 years before growing family forced me to get rid of it. The ride was a bit hard at times but once on the motorway was as comfortable as my dad’s new Mondeo and it took us to Scotland and back no problem doing over 1000 miles in 3 days. It drinks petrol like its going out of fashion but I put that mainly down to a few modifications I had done to it. I never had any major problems with it and kept it well serviced and it never failed me once I would defently buy this car again.

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 39761

Gordon Stephenson, Lincolnshire

Ford Focus ghia 1600 2007

Having gone down from a vauxhall omega 2.2 automatic to a focus 1600 automatic for the reason we wanted a smaller car now that we have given up caravaning & something more ecnomical, we find it is very heavy on petrol. I don’t do a lot of long distant runs so I feel that it should be better, can anyone else give me any figures on the same car? I am getting a average of 21.6 miles at the present time having had the car since August the best return on mpg as been 33 according to the onboard computer could anyone give me any figures on this car if they get better mileage.

I owned a 2005 1.6 auto Focus. MPG 19/22. Went back to Ford several times to be told in a rude manner that there was nothing wrong. Got fed up, sold it and bought a SEAT Altea Diesel. FAB! - Douglas Hershman from England

Hi, I have a Ford Focus Ghia 1.6. Petrol. 2003. Whilst the performance is not brilliant the fuel economy has always been excellent. The lowest it has been is 38.6MPG and that was during our recent spell of bad weather when I was doing short start/stop journeys in traffic. I have owned this car for three years now and I have always kept a log of all the vechicles I have owned. I usually fill the tank when purchasing petrol, then check fuel consumption from one fill to the next. Apart from the instant above the MPG has varied between 40 and 44 on a mixture of journeys. I would be interested in what you think of the performance of your Focus? - Ken Brown from Staffordshire

Hi, I also have a 2006 Focus, it’s spent most of the time in fuel stations Around town. I am getting 270 miles to the tank, on a long run(motorway work) I can get around 370 both before the fuel light comes on. It’s been into a ford dealer who said there was nothing wrong with the car, that’s just how they are - Colin Searle from Cornwall

As I’ve already wrote further up the page, my 2006 1.6 Focus Sport is a gas guzzler. On one occasion I got 41-mpg, mostly I get 400 miles at best from a tank full, it doesn’t seem to matter whether I’m doing motorway miles or a mixture. I’ve done 15,000 miles in the 1 year I’ve had it. When I corner the throttle surges with no input from me, it starts well when the weather’s cold but any other time it seems to take an age to start. Performance is ok unless you’re wanting to pass at higher speeds, 50 mph plus or up hill, then it’s poor. Like most modern cars you use twice the throttle and nothing else happens, other than it sucks away on the fuel. It’s been into Ford, they just shrug and think it’s ok, UK customer service at it’s pitiful best. I’ve had a full service done and nothing has changed. Many mechanics seem to think you’re lucky to get 36 mpg out of one. I actually got the same mpg from a 20 year old 3.1 V6 Cavalier Auto in Canada. Not impressed but can’t afford to change it - Jonathan Thompson from England

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 39753

Robert Hayes, Shropshire

Ford Focus Hatchback 2001

Bought it in a car auction in Walsall in 2004, now done 145,000 miles had an annoying rattle on gearbox, which stops when you depress the clutch but has got no worse in 3 years so why worry. All it’s cost me is services, tyres pads, etc. I am now told it might need a clutch so I’m looking for, guess what? Another Focus turbo diesel, hope I’m as lucky this time.

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 39762

Rod Bailey, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec (115bhp) Climate 2007

Hi, I’ve just finished giving my other car 2 stars its a 308. The focus though.....BRILL Love it. Can not put a foot wrong. Never let me down, now done 41000mls all its had is new tyres and one set F/Pads. Now the Bad news. I am now doing 122mls a day to work and back, around 30k a year. Need a Diesel, found one at listers in Grantham I just hope the Yaris D4D Zinc is as good as the Focus. The ford was doing 43.5mpg and hoping to get 60 plus out of the Yaris. So if you need a FAB FOCUS you can find my old one in Grantham. If you turn up as I hand over the keys you can come with your mates kids other half etc., and see a Big guy cry like a babe, no not the pig.

Hi, I actually got rid of my old 08 Focus 1.6 TDCi 110 Zetec and replaced it with a 308 1.6 HDi 110 Sport. I got rid of the Focus because it was simply an appalling piece of rubbish, The electric had a mind of their own and the interior simply fell to pieces on me. I would never recommend a Focus to anybody as long as I live. My 308 is brilliant, even though Ford uses Peugeot diesel engine the 308 was quicker and more economical and it is a heavier car, how I’m wondering?? You would have to be mad to buy a Focus over the 308 - Fintan Flannigan from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-12-23 | ID: 39758

Paul Shallcross, England

Ford Focus ZETEC S 2009

I’ve never had any problems with the Focus and I have owned quite a few. This model is sporty and eye-catching. A great car to drive.

Submitted: 2009-11-24 | ID: 39760

Suzanne Parkes, Cheshire

Ford Focus Ghia 2006

I bought my focus in 2006 (1600 Ghia) new. The car seemed fine, although I thought steering was a bit noisy (whirring sound), the windscreen water ran out quickly and the air con light was always on. I Took it back to dealers but they said everything was ok. I then took it for its first service 1 year on (8000 miles); first I got ripped off for key fob battrey replacement (£14) and they charged me £28 for oil on top of the service charge £130. When i picked my car up i had only driven for 5mins when the steering felt sloppy and made a loud screeching noise. I had to join the AA as Ford said there was no one available to collect me off a busy A road. They said the Pipe off the Powersteeing pump needed replacing and fixed it. Here is a summary of what has happend upto this weekend: Leeking oil detected in july 2007 - Ford wanted nearly £300 to fix this but I took it to another garage and they fixed for £170 (2nd garage said it was pump but Fords insisted it was the pipe; Had to be towed by AA to garage. Had a new pump and two new pipes - garage found Ford had cut through a barcket and left it loose. My husband asked Ford about this and they said it was common practise. Fords would not take liability for fault pumpp, even though one of their sales assistants admitted 2006 Ford cars have faulty pumps; In September 2009 I noticed more oil leaking. The AA mechanic said it was definitely the pump-, which cost £400 from 2nd garage. Ford wanted £170 for pipes and £550 plus vat for pump without fitting. Sorry for going on folks but Ford after care service has left me incensed. I will never ever buy a Ford or trust them to service my car ever again. I hope this is useful to anyone considering buying a focus 2006 model or any Ford model! PS I had to choose 1 star as score of no stars not available.

So technically you’re giving 1 star because you dealt with a dodgy dealer and got ripped off? I’ve never experienced any of this..nor has the many people I know that own them - Rob Sanderson from England

I totally agree with Suzanne. Ford dealer network and customer services are useless. My local dealership is Linsday Ford in Craigavon and they are woefull, it took them 4 days to fix a problem with the parking sensors. When it happened again i took it to my local mechanic he could fix it in half an hour. I know Peugeot ar supposed to be the worst dealer network but their not. i have had many peugeot bought from main peugeot garages and they are excellent - from County Armagh

Hi Suzanne, I can totally empathise with you and your frustrations. I have recently had a similar problem with my 2005 Focus. The auxillary pump and the pipe leading to the pump both needed to be renewed. The noise that was coming from the car when I was steering was horrendous. I took it to local garage at the end of Jan 10 whereby it was repaired and I was quite happy with the repair. However 7 weeks on and the problem has reoccurred. The mechanic has again confirmed the pipe to the auxillary pump has split and is leaking power steering fluid. Fortunately I only need to replace the pipe. The parts supplier where the garage purchased the pipe and pump for the initial repair have agreed to a replacement pipe free of charge because it was only purchased 7 weeks ago. The supplier informed the mechanic that this is a recurrent problem on the focus due to bad design and this is the most common part that he has requests for from mechanics. Now waiting to get my vehicle back from the mechanics and will keep my fingers crossed that I don’t have further problems - Annie Campbell from Essex

Submitted: 2009-11-12 | ID: 39745

Janet Caesar, Kent

Ford Focus Zetec 1.8 2001

I have just become the proud owner of this Focus today and have found it lovely to drive and interior very nice. But my only problem is I have lost power twice, on both times I was approaching a roundabout and for a few seconds had no control of car at all then it was fine. Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be wrong? Please help.

I have the same problem. I took it to the dealer and they could find no fault. It didnt do it for a week but it has now happened twice in one day, both times after I’ve pulled up at a junction and then tried to set of again. You’re forced to keep trying to rev the engine until it clears. Now dealer says it `MIGHT`be EGR valve, which will cost £330 plus fitting to replace - Colin Hinchliffe from England

My car did this. The situation escalated so that the car would die at low revs and eventually broke down. It turned out it was the Idle Control Valve which cost me £100 to have replaced - from Berkshire

Hope you’ve fixed the problem by now, but for you or anybody reading this topic my focus used to drop revs considerably when pulling up to junctions. Found the MAF had oil deposits on sensors. Removed MAF and cleaned with electrical spray cleaner. All Fixed !... ps. Ford couldn’t detect it. Sorry Ford but some of your cars can go forever but unfortunately most don’t. I still have problems of other kinds like coil packs going after nine months.(on my 5th now) Why doesn’t the engine management pick this up? Selling as soon as possible! - from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2009-10-12 | ID: 39749

Barbara Wakerell, Kent

Ford Focus 2006

2006 Ford Focus. How do I reset the mpg and average speed read-out as they are way out? Can anybody help? Car is great.

Hi. I am Chris Murphy and I am a reporter. Long shot, but are you the lady with the 96p car insurance? If so can you call me on 07801 029 729. Thanks - Chris Murphy from Kent

Hello, hope this isn’t too late and you still have the car! On the left stalk you have a switch that says "menu", start the car and flick the switch until the display on the dash shows "My Settings" then press the end of the stalk once to select. Flick through the items using the first switch until you reach the item you want, press the end once to select, then release and straight away press again and hold, this will reset the figures. Do this for the avereage milage, average fuel consumption and the trip counter. When you are done return the display to show, total milage, trip milage outside temp. The figures are worked out from the last 6000 miles (according to the hand-book). How to do all this is in your handbook. Hope this helps - Graeme Hall from England

Submitted: 2009-09-08 | ID: 39742

Michelle Nall, Sussex

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci 2005

Its a very good car BUT you must get the turbo intercooler pipe replaced before it cracks and is out of warranty. I did not and it cost £220 to have it replaced. Also, if you have a complaint and you can’t find the email address of Ford’s complaint department this one works although they’re not happy I’m passing it out - corrospo@ford.com. Many thanks, Michelle.

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 39741

Matt, England

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Zetec 2008

Positives: The car handles well and the build quality is fine. It has a nice level of standard equipment. The face-lifted model looks very nice. It has proven reliable in the 12 months I have had the vehicle, as was the previous Focus I ran. Negatives: The seats in the Zetec trim are very very uncomfortable, as a high mileage driver that is a problem. The engine is noisy, inflexible and the economy is poor for a diesel. The vehicle is a company car. I would buy a Focus as a private buyer but not this spec or engine. Overall, its a nice car but wrong model.

Submitted: 2009-08-20 | ID: 39740

Alan, Surrey

Ford Focus 1.8 TDI 2006

Great family car. Boot space a little short, but very well-balanced, good driving position, and good visibility all round. One problem with dash electrical pod - speedo/rev counter flicking on and off, lighting failed and intermittent nuisance red/amber fail lights. Whole pod replaced at 65,000 miles and worked fine ever since. Cheap to run and goes about 500 town and country miles to a tank of diesel. Would definitely get another one.

Submitted: 2009-08-04 | ID: 39739

Jeanette Redding, London

Ford Focus Zetec 2006

I have not had a good experience from the word go. Ergonomically, even with an automatic model, the design of the car is all wrong for me - something you don’t find out on the average test drive. I went to a mobility centre for an assessment. The depth of the seat was nipping a nerve behind my knee and giving me parasthesia! I got a wedge to sit on and a wedge for the footwell, which means I am virtually touching the roof while driving! Now I wish I had swallowed the depreciation rate and got a different car because after only 30,000 miles I had to have a new alternator. It was out of warranty by five months. I put it down to bad luck. However, after the power assisted steering pump went as well last week, costing nearly £800 to fix, it is more than bad luck. It has 35,000 on the clock! This car is a lemon. I had a Daewoo for 8 years from brand new and did considerably higher mileage per annum but it never cost as much as this heap of junk to fix or maintain.

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39855

Michael Whittle, Essex

Ford Focus Zetec 2003

Overall a very good car. But has had some niggling electrical problems, one finally traced to an ABS sensor connector, the other to problems with the PCB on the dashboard which caused a lot of intermittent problems.

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 39858

Rich, England

Ford Focus 2006

Who ever said the 2.0 TDCi is c**p because it’s a Peugeot unit... how wrong you are!!!!! The EGR valve went because the Peugeot and Citroen variant use hardened steel gears in the EGR valve and when Ford take the engine they use plastic gears inside the EGR - a bit of cost cutting. All the HDi engines built in France by Peugeot are very reliable and never go wrong. My Dad has a transit 2.2 AA van and engine built by Ford and it’s the 2nd transit in under a year, 2nd engine and the Ford dealer have it more than he does.

Yes, Ford are rubbish; their customer service is appauling and they are true rip off merchants. I own a Ford Focus Ghia 1.6. and have had powerstering problems from the word go, which have cost me alot to repair as Ford will not accept liabilty - Suzanne Parkes from Cheshire

Submitted: 2009-05-14 | ID: 39856

Dave Owen, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.6tdci (110) 2007

Bought 57 plate 1.6tdci focus from Evans Halshaw. I had the car half a day and a fuel leak covered the engine; then steering pump bearings went. I’ve been back 3 times for same leak and steam cleaning. Excellent drive, superb economy but absolutely none existent customer service from Evans Halshaw. Ford I would recommend but not Evans Halshaw.

I agree that Evans Halshaw don’t care about you after you have bought your car. I nearly bought my 2 litre tdci from them but I felt they could not be bothered about my purchase, so i told them this and the answer I got back was "go and see someone else then." The car I have is spot on, brill 07 with 11500 mls, no probs at all - Trevor Bamford from Lancashire

Could not agree more bought my for from Evans Halshaw had a bad fuel leak staff were pig ignorant and very unhelpful - Charlie Rowland from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-05-05 | ID: 39859

Paul Tasker, England

Ford Focus 1.8 Style 2007

This is my second focus. First one a mark 1 and gave me no problems. So far after 18 months, nor has this one. It’s a good car. The mark 1 was more fun to drive on B roads due to hydraulic steering (1.8 mark 2 has electro hydraulic which is worse), better visibility and felt more agile but this mark 2 is much more of an all rounder. Nicely made, no rattles anywhere, smooth clutch and gearbox. Still handles pretty well although in a more mature, sure footed way. 1.8 petrol is good once you get the revs up, a bit lacking in low down torque as per most 16 valve petrols. Diesel probably better cos you’re more likely to get power when you want it and get much more MPG. I get 35 out of this overall. Not too bad, but motorway economy should be better, gearing is too short. Very very stable at speed, side winds barely noticeable but also a bit too noisy. Those 16 inch tyres kick up a fair racket although no where near as much as my mark 1 which was awful in this area. Far from flawless but I haven’t found anything else without significant drawbacks. Its practical, comfortable, nicely laid out (the steering wheel stereo control stalk is ideally positioned), good in every area but road noise which remains a focus weakness, though I hear, significantly better in 2008 facelift model.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 39852

Lee Brewer, Somerset

Ford Focus 1.8 petrol 2007

I leased this car for first time. It drives pretty well and is pretty nippy but watch out for knocking noise on front suspension. Had it in garage 4 times trying to cure it; in the end got fed up and gave up. Other than that it is a really nice car; all round plenty of room for kids dogs!

Submitted: 2009-03-16 | ID: 39849

John Wiltshire, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 2006

This is my second Focus having had a MK 1 for 5 years and this MK 2 for the last 3 years. So far so good with little or no problems at all. To all you Focus owners though check your spark plug receptacles are not filling up with water during heavy rain. It is a common problem and it requires a modification to the windscreen washer nozzles which are letting water by and onto the top of the engine. If not rectified this can cause the spark plugs to "explode". It would have been nice if Ford had contacted everyone rather than having you to find out this for yourself and to contact your Ford garage to have the mod done. Other than that it is a good solid reliable car and I would recommended the Focus to anyone thinking of buying one.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39851

Mark Jones, Wales

Ford Focus 2008

The Focus is a good car - no problems with my Focus.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39850

David Setterfield, County Antrim

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci (109bhp) zetec 2007

This has been my second Mk2 Focus, 3rd just purchased. Overall an excellent motor car with excellent fuel economy, fault free and also comfortable and versatile. Have readily recommended to others...

Submitted: 2009-01-19 | ID: 39853

Steve H, Cornwall

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec Climate pack 2000

I bought this car new in 2000. It has now covered around 70k miles, averaging around 42mpg (minimum 38 - maximum 47). It transmits more road noise than expected over rougher road surfaces and the interior storage is not the best, but driving it is still a pleasure. Very reliable so far, although the engine management system indicator lights occasionally if stuck in traffic (says due to a weak mixture on No 1 cylinder). Not a problem - just buy the tool from Gendan Ltd and reset the light. Do not go the Ford Main Dealer - expensive waste of time! My big problem will be what to replace it with! The new Focus is so ugly, although I am sure it is nice to drive. The Seat Leon is looking good, but the old Focus will be with me for a while yet.

Submitted: 2009-01-12 | ID: 39854

Steve Isaac, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus ST2. 2007

Nice blend of performance and practicality. Mid-range surge and addictive exhaust grumble are great. Averages 34 MPG on motorway runs but this drops to 23 MPG when pushing hard cross country. No getting away from 224g/km CO2 and resulting tax bill. Brakes resist fade and ABS is not intrusive. Chassis/suspension set up is mini GT rather than hot hatch. Driven as mini GT, for the money, there are not many alternatives that would beat it. If you want a hot hatch then look elsewhere there are better alternatives. Interior is holding up well, nothing fallen off or broken, WD40 has cured seat squeak and odd rattle. Standard fit Recaros are great - fabric grips better than leather on ST3. Have built in sat-nav which is easy to use and works well. Overall, the performance (as a mini GT), practicality and noise outweigh fuel and CO2 - just!

Submitted: 2008-12-22 | ID: 39862

Clyde Wiley, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 1.8 tdi lx 2001

Very reliable car and having done 60,000 miles in it I never had one problem engine wise. The only issue was coil in front suspension. Now upgraded to 1.8 tdci zetec climate 2007 and it’s brilliant. Would highly recommend.

Submitted: 2008-08-22 | ID: 39863

Phil Knibb, England

Ford Focus ST2 2007

Of all the cars I’ve owned this is the biggest let down of all. Whilst is isn’t a bad car, it is poorly put together, unreliable and although it has a hot hatch engine, the handling is too soft. The interior panels weren’t properly put on in the factory, i had to pop those on and in the back it needed aligning properly, the lights on the dials flicker annoying at times, the turbo gauge gets stuck, the immobiliser is a little too keen - I’ve had to disconnect the battery several times to reset it when it wont start! The rear suspension bushes are worn out and make a nasty noise over the slightest bump and the car is just over 6 months old! Theres more but you get the idea, its crap! If you want a proper hot hatch look at the Seat Leon Cupra (i had one of these before and it was 10 times better!) or Golf GTI, I’m getting rid of the Focus for another Leon...

Submitted: 2008-06-17 | ID: 39870

K B, England

Ford Focus Ghia 2005

I have had my Ford Focus for 3 years, it is absolutely fantastic to drive and I have had no problems with it at all... I have just ordered my new Focus that I will be collecting in September. I recommend this car to anyone.

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 39868

David Hawley, Surrey

Ford Focus Zetec 2007

We recently purchased a 2007 3-door Ford Focus Zetec Climate. The first fault we found was a strong pull to the left the second fault was an annoying drivers window rattle not the best result for £7,494.

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 39869

Louise Littlewood, Berkshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2008

I have recently part exchanged my old car for a new focus Zetec to accommodate my growing family! After looking at every possible family type cars on the market we fell in love with the focus. Inside is very spacious and we are able to fit three car seats on the back seat which is a must for us, the boot is also huge and was one of the only boots that would have fitted our pushchair! The car feels great to drive, very smooth, the only downside is it can feel slightly underpowered at times but thats not a major concern for me. I’d definitely recommend this car to anyone as it doesn’t look like your typical family car it drives great and looks great with the alloys and Sony CD player.

Submitted: 2008-06-04 | ID: 39867

Nick, Leicestershire

Ford Focus ST2 2007

Initially, I was absolutely thrilled with my ST. The performance was awesome, and the build quality seemed sound. Just over a year on, I am gravely disappointed with the vehicle. Creaking plastics are a regular occurance with just about every piece of trim sounding like it is ready to fall off. Ford Customer Services, including the service department are very poor, as I have had many problems mis-diagnosed, with the vehicle returning to the dealer on numerous occasions. And to put the icing on the cake, considering how thirsty the ST is, it isn’t much faster than any of its main rivals. I am very disappointed with this, my first and probably last Ford. I put the Focus ahead of the VW Golf when purchasing, but I now wish I’d spent a little extra cash and gone for the VW. Final verdict: If you are like me and are very picky about the quality of your cars, i.e. - cannot tolerate creaking interiors and endless problems, stay well clear of the ST.

Submitted: 2008-05-06 | ID: 39866

Francis McDiarmid, Devon

Ford Focus 2.0 litre TDCi 2004

My job means that I spend a lot of time driving and I needed a reliable and comfortable car. The fuel economy works out at over 50 miles to the gallon provided you drive sensibly and attempt to avoid rush-hour traffic. It is not the best looking car I have ever seen, in fact it looks a bit dated now but the interior is very stylish. Suspension handles motorways and country roads well. The doors shut with that satisfying clunk that I love. Performance is good, everything is good, just wished that it was a tad more pleasing on the eye...

Submitted: 2008-05-02 | ID: 39865

Sharon Knight, Middlesex

Ford Focus 1.4i Studio 3dr 2008

This is my 3rd Focus and I don’t see me changing at anytime in the future as long as Ford continue producing such a brilliant car. It’s reliable, affordable, fun to drive and still looks great. It does everything I need and never lets me down.

Submitted: 2008-04-23 | ID: 39864

William Rogers, Caerphilly

Ford Focus 1.6 tdci zetec climate 2007

Simply the best car I have ever had. Drives well and I get over 50 miles to the gallon to boot. It is well screwed together, what more do you want or need?

Submitted: 2008-03-17 | ID: 39878

Rex Whitehead, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2007

I have owned my new Ford Focus for 12 months now. I love driving this car, the 1.6 115 VCT Ghia, it is a real pleasure. My only complaint is that in some situations it is under powered, the handbrake is awkward as it was designed for left hand drive models but I still love it.

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 39877

Andy Tran, Aberdeenshire

Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Ghia 2005

Lovely car to drive. However, I only kept it for a year as it broke down 8 times! Problem was with EGR valve - Ford dealers were unable to fix it. Ford UK didn’t care. These diesels are developed with Peugeot, a BIG mistake if you ask me - they are guaranteed to give problems. Peugeot reliability is very poor.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39875

Mark Johnson, Wales

Ford Focus 2.0 TDCI Ghia 2005

I have owned a Volkswagen Golf GT TDI 130 bhp and I have to say I was a little bit optimistic at the thought of having to trade it in for a Focus. I have to say that everything about the Focus, when compared to the Golf, is outstanding; value for money and drive quality are second to none and I still get that little grin when i put my foot down. So those of you who are thinking of getting a Focus go on get down to your dealer and buy one .

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39876

David Eccles, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 2.0 ltdci zetec climate 2008

Just taken delivery of my new car [previous car 1.6 tivct focus 2007 model] what can i say its an awesome beast, interior tons better, diesel engine gave me 54.3 mpg on a run out yesterday tons better than petrol engine 38 on same run in previous car, both cars stood next to each other at my local dealers yesterday they look totally different a job well done thanks ford go on buy on they are an awesome car.

Submitted: 2008-03-03 | ID: 39880

Matthew Smart, Suffolk

Ford Focus Zetec 2001

I have had this car for 2 years, and it's a dream. Smooth driving and nifty steering, in a classy exterior....what more can i say?!

Submitted: 2008-03-03 | ID: 39879

Sarah Whittington, Kent

Ford Focus 2007

The Ford Focus is an ideal compact family car, ideal for school runs, shopping trips etc. The interior is nice & comfortable with lots of space. The car has a large boot for holding extra luggage. The car is made of high quality with safety features. The Ford Focus has been created to empower the driver. Each precision built component, each advanced technology, chosen to work in harmony and deliver a smooth, exciting driving experience - one that allows you to enjoy every twist and turn in the road and leave stress behind. The Ford Focus is packed full of technology that delivers at every turn from the Anti-lock braking system (ABS) to the optional Electronic Stability Programme (ESP), with Traction Assist for extra stability. Driving is always more enjoyable when you are protected. So the Ford Focus's tough body structure is complemented by an Intelligent Protection System (IPS). Ford Focus has a 5-star Euro NCAP rating and has also been awarded a 4-star child restraints rating and a 2-star pedestrian protection rating. You can feel the excitement of driving the Ford Focus just by looking at it. Refined design and functional elegance provide a look that's solid and well crafted.

Does Sarah work for Ford by any chance?? - Christopher Sparks from Kent

Submitted: 2008-02-22 | ID: 39883

Gary Stilgoe, Worcestershire

Ford Focus 2005

Like many of you out there the Focus is my work hack. In a fetching grey and with a diesel lump it does little to stir the imagination of any driver BUT I have to say, it does exactly what it says on the tin. Reliability is second to none, build quality is good and she has now withstood more than two years of daily toil and isn’t yet showing any signs of age. Able to cruise effortlessly at the national maximum and still provide a reasonable return per gallon the Focus is a comfortable ride for anyone doing serious mileage. A few forays into the twistier stuff have revealed she is taut and holds a line well. A racy little number ......No! A head-turner ....... No! An everyday work horse and no nonsense, get the family where they have to be with all of their, and their mates’, baggage, drive..... Definitely. If you can put up with the handbrake been ideally positioned for left hand drive but being in exactly the wrong place for right hand drive vehicles you can’t ask for more from an everyday vehicle. Save the Caterham for the weekends!

Submitted: 2008-02-18 | ID: 39882

Christine Hutchinson, England

Ford Focus 2003

I love my focus its ideal for me and my family very spacious the kids enjoy a drive out in it because its comfortable the only fault i have with this car is that there was a fault with the clocks and they all went off cost me a fortune to fix right when my mot was due so i couldn€™t drive it for a few weeks! till i got he cash i was guttered other than that I’ve had no other (touch wood) problems with my car.

Submitted: 2008-02-14 | ID: 39881

Craig Broadman, Gloucestershire

Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Zetec Climate 2005

After months of research I finally decided in Sept 2007 to go for a Focus to upgrade from my Ibiza. Having a diesel was a must for me as it is so much more economical (especially with today’s prices). MPG is great, around 55MPG. It is comfortable, spacious and looks great too. Boot space is especially generous.

Submitted: 2008-01-30 | ID: 39872

Norman Noel, Surrey

Ford Focus 2007

I LOVE MY FOCUS BECAUSE IT A CAR THAT LIVES UPTO IT’S NAME FOR ME,A CAR THAT FOCUS ON EVERY DETAIL A CAR SHOULD HAVE.

Submitted: 2008-01-28 | ID: 39871

Dave Niel, Yorkshire

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2006

Right then; the last Ford I drove was a 1982 Escort straight into the back of a two ton Ford Transit van full of angry policemen heading for a environmental rally down in Worcestershire, where some prat called Swampy was hiding high up in a forest full of engineers who wanted to build a new motorway straight through it. My passenger at the time was a brand new boss of a chicken factory where I had started work two weeks earlier. So I was encouraged by fate, never to own a Ford car again. Last week I was asked if I would go along with my in-laws to help them check out a used Focus, and guess what ... they asked me to drive it. The internal quality and finish was really good with plenty of room for the four of us, (that’s the two in-laws, me and the wife). Comfortable and well buttoned up; with easy to use controls is what was so noticeable, as well as the smooth and really quite keen diesel engine. The car felt a lot newer than the 18 months old it actually was. There was a couple of small issues i had, in that the drivers seat was a little lacking in movement and adjustability, which was awkward for a guy who is over 6 feet tall and the rear vision is not what it maybe could be, (that could have been affected by the rear view vision of the two in-laws though)! Overall, a very solid and reliable feel to this car, and easy to see why so many families are prepared to go out and buy what must be the best car in its class. Oh and i managed to get 6 points on my driving licence, for driving without due care and attention, speeding, and a £120 fine for verbal abuse! Thanks Swampy....

You are a poet mate. - I enjoyed reading your review it was very entertaini from Middlesex

Submitted: 2008-01-07 | ID: 39873

Michael Bairstow, Somerset

Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi 136 2007

There are some great points made in the other reviews. Although this not a BMW, Volkswagen or Audi it does have the same level of reliability and build quality. This is the best hatchback available and the price range means that it is affordable and excellent value for money. There is a lovely feeling of space in the cabin and a great safety record adds to a very comfortable ride. The economy is good, especially on the diesel. THE BEST HATCHBACK

Submitted: 2007-11-06 | ID: 39892

Rex Whitehead, England

Ford Focus 1.6 VCT 115 Ghia 2007

I have had my new Ford Focus for 9 months now. It’s the 1.6 VCT 115 Ghia and it’s great to drive, nice to look at and I love the automatic lights. The windscreen wipers are self dipping and the Focus features cruise control. I just love driving it.

Submitted: 2007-11-01 | ID: 39893

Walther Golding, Durham

Ford Focus 2.0 TDCi 136 2007

Jamie Hobb does indeed sum the Focus up nicely. Lovely to drive, comfortable inside and the best family car. I would like to add that the 2.0 litre diesel is the pick of the engines and gives me almost 50 miles per gallon.

Submitted: 2007-10-30 | ID: 39894

Adrian Hall, Shropshire

Ford Focus 1.8 TDCi Titanium 2007

Although the Ford Focus doesn’t have a Germanic build. This car proves itself time and time again. I have had and driven many as I work within the car industry at Acorn Finance. All derivatives keep improving with their design and build quality. I myself am a great fan of the Diesel derivatives, they prove great value for money. Even the Studio model offers a great specification with the likes of: 5000 Radio/Cassette, Anti Lock with EBD, Central Locking, Dr St Height Adjust, Driver Airbag, Generic Upholstery, High L Brake Light, Immobiliser, PAS, Passenger Airbag, Power Front Windows, Rear Head Restraints, Solid Paint and Split Rear Seat. If you are unsure I would advise taking a test drive at your local dealer!

Submitted: 2007-10-02 | ID: 39890

Stephanie Purdey, Surrey

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2007

I can not think of a negative thing to say about my Focus - it does everything I need with plenty to spare. Thoroughly recommended - reliable and good-looking.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 39891

Martin Jordan, Lancashire

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 16v Ghia 2007

Although I have had more expensive and supposedly better cars, I must say that the Focus was a pleasure to drive, good on fuel, plenty of space, and suprisingly handled well.

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 39888

Chris Pembleton, Cheshire

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec 2007

I bought my nearly new Ford Focus from a car supermarket and saved ££££ on the list price. This car is a great run around, cheap to insure, economical and with the Focus being so popular will be easy to sell when I fancy a change.

Submitted: 2007-08-24 | ID: 39885

Sarah Bentley, Wiltshire

Ford Focus 1.6 100 Zetec 2007

I completely agree with Jamie's review. I will add that the car seats are the most comfortable that I have ever had. This is also a car that is pretty good on mileage. I normally get more than 45 miles per gallon.

Submitted: 2007-08-16 | ID: 39887

Jamie Hobb, Pembrokeshire

Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec 2007

I bought my Ford Focus a couple of years ago and can not speak highly enough of it. It only cost just over £11,000 which was the limit of my budget and I do not think that I could have done any better for the money. It is lovely to drive, comfortable inside and easy to maintain. In my opinion, the best choice of family car out there.

Submitted: 2007-08-14 | ID: 39886

Craig Millington, Norfolk

Ford Focus Ford Focus 1.6 16v Ghia 2007

I’ve just got this (company) car and have been driving for only 2 weeks so it’s still early days but I have to say I’m having real fun driving it. I must admit I thought this would be a boring car but so far it’s proved itself to be a nice smooth drive. Nice interior too. Quietly impressed.

Submitted: 2007-08-09 | ID: 39889

• A response has been made to David (24/04/2014 19:42:32)
  • A response has been made to Steve Daley (25/09/2012 21:37:20)

• "Stability Control Light(ESP) keeps coming on, garage done investigation and changed the steering wheel angle sensor, but light still coming on. Came..." (Sarah, 27/07/2014 12:08:08)
  • "My car is grand 1;2;3till i hit 60k put it in4th its screwing same in 5th gears change ok its just the noise after 3th gear an dosnt move much past t..." (nicola, 25/07/2014 18:06:01)
  • "My car is grand 1;2;3till i hit 60k put it in4th its screwing same in 5th gears change ok its just the noise after 3th gear an dosnt move much past t..." (nicola, 25/07/2014 18:05:55)
  • "My car is grand 1;2;3till i hit 60k put it in4th its screwing same in 5th gears change ok its just the noise after 3th gear an dosnt move much past t..." (nicola, 25/07/2014 18:05:51)
  • "My car is grand 1;2;3till i hit 60k put it in4th its screwing same in 5th gears change ok its just the noise after 3th gear an dosnt move much past t..." (nicola, 25/07/2014 18:05:44)

• sophia davies's question has been answered: "Mine is a 09 plate Focus and the radio code is on the inside of the glove box door. - Geoff from Cheshire' '..." (31/07/2014 19:22:38)
  • TESSA ADAMS's question has been answered: "Your key fob can easily be reprogrammed to unlock all with one press of the button. With the ignition turned off, press and hold the unlock and lock b - Graham from Kent' '..." (16/07/2014 19:52:14)

T 125PS EcoBoost - International Engine of the Year winner, the mighty little 1.0 EcoBoost engine joins the Focus range. Will this diminutive 3 cyclinder engine leave the Focus feeling deflated? Not on your nelly, as proved by Ford’s use of it on larger models including the Transit Connect and Mondeo. If anything, the [...]

An image of the Ford Focus T 125PS EcoBoost

2011 5-door - The all-new, third-generation Focus arrives in March, and it’s the company’s first truly global car. That the Focus has been a UK best-seller since 1998 was further incentive for Ford to get it right, but March 2011 also marks Ford of Britain’s centenary, so there’s more than a little corporate prid [...]

An image of the Ford Focus 2011 5-door

ECOnetic 1.6 TDCi diesel - This has got to be one of the most eagerly awaited green cars of all time for both the business and the private sector – it’s the £16,050 Ford Focus ECOnetic. With fuel at an all time high and road tax based on CO2 emissions green cars have never been in such high demand. So we got to work and put o [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Ford Focus ECOnetic 1.6 TDCi diesel

ST500 - A special edition Ford Focus – enough to make your eyes water, the ST500 is a gem. The car drives brilliantly and represents good value for money at £20,495 as there are only 500 of them on sale. This makes this car a very desirable machine.

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report