Ford Fiesta consumer car reviews and road tests

Ford Fiesta consumer reviews by year of make:1989 1998 2000 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012

Ford Fiesta consumer car reviews

James, Aberdeenshire

Ford Fiesta 2008 - 2012

Should the coil be changed when the car is serviced???

Submitted: 2014-06-19 | ID: 98074

Naomi, Australia

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2010

I decided to upgrade my 2007 Yaris with 175,000km in the dial. I’d pretty much decided to trade it in for a later model Corolla ... Until I drove the beautiful little bright blue 2010 Fiesta Zetec at the local Ford dealer’s yard. I’m 38 and have had a car every couple of years since I was 17. I’ve also driven a variety of other company cars and hire cars ... .. this one is my favourite (except maybe for my ’69 mini but the mini didn’t have cruise control and air conditioning lol). This car feels like quality. Some little hatch’s feel like tin boxes lined with tupperware. This one does not. It’s tight and solid and everything fits together nicely. It drives like it’s on rails. Very direct and flat around corners, none of the sloppiness of the Yaris. The seats are firm and supportive. A note for taller people, I am tall and have the seat all the way back on most cars, this one if I put the seat all the way back I can’t reach the pedals. Plenty of room. I bought the 5 speed manual, I think automatics are for my grandparents. I travel up the freeway here from town, about 5 km of fairly steep uphill. My Yaris used to scream along in 3rd at 4000 rpm all the way to the top. This one cruises up the hill in 5th at 100kmph like it’s on flat ground. No shortage of power. I pulled my Alpine head unit and speakers (including amp and 10inch custom sub) out of the Yaris before I traded it in. I was going to put them into the Fiesta. Now I’m not so sure. The sub, maybe, when I get around to it, but no rush. The sound in the Fiesta is very good. Balanced and clear with plenty of volume and bass. 100 times better than the Toyota factory unit, and much better than other cars I’ve driven. It also has a USB port to plug a thumb drive into. No expensive iPOD required (although there’s iPOD connectivity if you want it. To sum up, I spend about an hour and a half a day in my car. It used to be a chore. Now it is not. This car is pure joy. P.S. Please don’t think I’m hating on the Yaris. I’ve had mine for 6 years and it’s been a very reliable little car. No complaints. I just didn’t realise how very BORING is was. Ditto for the Corolla I had the "pleasure" of driving yesterday. I’m glad I didn’t buy one.

Submitted: 2013-07-14 | ID: 39604

Jane Sax, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.4 2010

I have just changed my 7 years old 1.4 automatic Honda Jazz for a 3 years old automatic 1.4 Ford Fiesta Titanium which is an ex motobility car with only just over 6000 miles on the clock. The first thing to say about my silver Fiesta is that it is an extremely good looking car with its streamlined shape and alloy wheels. I found it comfortable too with plenty of interior space and room for 5 adults. The fascia display was fully functional, uncluttered and pleasing. It also has a good sized boot and I was very pleased to find that it came with a full sized steel spare wheel, presumably because it was ex motobility. Visibility was very good all round and I at once found it an easy car to drive with very precise steering. The automatic gear changes were smooth both up and down. If one wants to over-ride the automatic gear changing, the gear lever only needs to be moved to the right and then gears can then be selected by pushing the lever either forward or backward. The car seems very well balanced and is a pleasure to drive. It has a firm, but comfortable ride with not a trace of a rattle anywhere. On steep hills the car climbed readily with the use of "kick-down". On a recent 200 mile trip the car performed beautifully and it is equally good, whether on rural roads or the motorway. The noise level on the roads was at a comfortable level. The "official" mpg figures, as usual are nonsense and driven carefully the car seems to return around 40 mpg overall. I will see if that can be improved on! The titanium is of course the top of the Fiesta Range and comes with electrically controlled air conditioning, cruise control, quick-clear windscreen, auto dimming mirror, electric windows with privacy glass and mirrors that fold automatically when locking the car. There is also a very useful trip computer that shows running, and overall mpg etc. This car also came with reversing sensors which I have never had before. Very useful indeed! A word of warning though: the car locks itself after a short time when you leave it so do not ever leave your keys in the ignition when you get out of the car! Overall I find absolutely nothing to dislike about the car. I am absolutely delighted with it.

Submitted: 2013-07-08 | ID: 39603

Philip Ashton, Derbyshire

Ford Fiesta Edge 1.25 3 door 2012

The car lacks power in 1st and 2nd gear on hills, gutless to say its 82 bhp. Poor vision when reversing, bland interior, but smooth to drive. Nice gear change, good brakes and light steering. The low profile tyres will be poor in snow. Wish I had bought a diesel.

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 39602

Terry, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta 2007

I have a Zetec 1.2 and the clutch went on me with no warning. Ford garage have said it will cost me £189.00 to replace brushes and a rod but there is no guarantee this will sort out the problem - may need a new clutch! I’ve been told this is a known fault with the Fiesta, which is seriously bad. Well disappointed as I have only ever purchased Ford cars. Previous cars were Escorts, last one I had for 11 years with no problems although I had done well over 100,000 miles. Have been looking at new cars the last couple of weeks and this has now completely stuffed it and put me off buying another Ford, will be looking at other makes from now on. Why don’t they sort it out? Definitely not my driving considering how long I’ve kept cars in the past plus the mileage! One customer not returning.

I have only had the Ford Fiesta Style 8 months and the clutch went on me without warning! I am very disappointed! - Allen White from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2013-05-25 | ID: 39600

Shaz Mog, England

Ford Fiesta 2008

So far I’m quite surprised about the comments about the 1.4 Tdci diesel as I find it a lovely car to drive with cheap tax, nice looks and good on running costs, what more do want? All cars will need new parts somewhere along the line. Go Fiesta Tdci diesel Zetec!

Submitted: 2013-03-02 | ID: 39612

Samual Rennie, Aberdeenshire

Ford Fiesta 2012

Great wee car, I’ve had her six weeks. She can be a bit noisy in lower gears, but has a very satsfying growl. She pulls off well and has great road handeling.

Submitted: 2013-01-26 | ID: 39611

Ron Friedlos, Surrey

Ford Fiesta Edge 2010

The car had done only 6000 at the purchase date. Now 4000 miles later gearbox chatter has developed when going into neutral (kind of a diesel type noise), when the engine is just slightly warm but not hot. It goes completely as soon as the engine is fully warmed up and doesn’t come back. The main dealer is going to drop the gearbox and have a look. I expect it will come back with exactly the same problem as I don’t see Ford fitting a new gearbox which would cost £2500 approx. Shame ’cos the car is really nice to drive.

Please see my previous post. I have now disposed of the 2010 Fiesta. I bought the fiesta, a ford employee owned the car having only done 6000 miles from new. I am 72 , but have quite an reasonable knowledge of cars, it being my hobby throughout the 60’s and 70’s and into the early 80’s I have rebuilt the engines and worked on the gearboxes of Ford Escorts ,Cortina’s, Sierra’s and many others, including Minis and so on. So although I am a 72 year old boy compared to all you youngsters, I do have some motor vehicle maintenance experience. Now back to the 2010 Fiesta. My earlier post was a comment about gearbox clatter, in idle with clutch pedal up, increasing gradually in volume as the weeks went by. I realized at outset that it could be either the clutch release bearing, clutch cover fins, gearbox mainshaft bearing , idler gear chatter or even a centre friction plate spring problem. For the more experienced ,I know about gear rollover and gear lash and that heavier oil in the gearbox can mask gear rattle but that’s always at the expense of damaging delicate syncro hubs and bearings. Bear in mind that the noise went totally when pressing the clutch pedal to the floor. This was and is, always, a the vital clue. Ford UK under pressure, and to their credit replaced the clutch and installed a brand new gearbox but the noise was still there afterwards. At this point it all became clear to me. When the clutch pedal is pressed to the floor, the pressure exerted is passed through the release bearing and clutch cover assembly on to the flywheel and thus on towards the crankshaft. Critically, If the crankshaft inside the engine has too much end- float it moves forward under flywheel pressure and the chatter thus disappears. Absolute accuracy of crankshaft end float clearance is vital. It has to be precise to allow for expansion and lubrication. If the clearance is too great one has what is called a "floating" crankshaft. When the crankshaft is in a "floating" situation as mine obviously was, main bearings and big end bearings take the stress. This is due to the shaft moving forward putting pressure on these components and hammering them with each revolution of the engine. Premature failure is almost a certainty and is inevitable. However ,my problem has gone along with the lovely Fiesta after only being driven a gentle 4000 miles by me. Thank goodness.! So I repeat what many have said about the New Ford Fiesta, "beautiful car, shame about the build" - Ron Friedlos from Surrey

Submitted: 2012-12-26 | ID: 39608

Gogopogo, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Petrol 2009

Not for motorway driving! I changed from a Focus to a Fiesta as I wanted a more economical car, but the Fiesta is not so good for motorway driving. No 6th gear. I can change into 5th gear at 40 MPH, so it should have a 6th gear for higher speeds to keep the revs and engine noise level down. I’ve experienced significant road-tyre noise at higher speeds. Long distance driving gives me headaches. I need to drive very carefully i.e. keeping revs under 2500 RPM or speed below 55 MPH to achieve Ford’s MPG figures. Reverse gear has no lift switch, so it often grinds, fails to engage, and makes me look like a learner. I will go back to a Focus as soon as I can afford to.

Submitted: 2012-11-11 | ID: 39610

Damon, Suffolk

Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2009

I’ve had my 1.4 tdci for 2 and a half years and it always seems to be leaking from somewhere at any given time, no matter how carefully I drive and look after it. It just dribbles annoying little amounts of oil, which can’t be traced after 3 garage attempts. The paint finish is poor and thin with no clear coat layer meaning everything sticks and stains. Apart from that, there’s just the usual wear and tear replacement of components. Having said that, the ride, handling and fuel consumption is excellent and parts are cheap. I manage to get about 72mpg routinely on every tankful (except very cold weather), which gives me a range of well over 500 miles, though I don’t run it to near to empty to protect the fuel pump.

Submitted: 2012-07-26 | ID: 39606

Ben Smith, Cumberland

Ford Fiesta 1.4 16v Zetec 1998

My Fiesta has been a great little car over the years I have owned it. It has covered 99,000 miles and still drives very well! I always have a smile on my face when I drive it, it’s just so much fun!!

Submitted: 2012-07-25 | ID: 39607

Rod Playford, Dorset

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2011

The reason for buying the Fiesta was primarily economy. It hasn’t dissapointed. With the Fiesta I will save approx £1300 per year over my previous car (Jag S Type 2.5 SE) even the returned monies from DVLA for the tax disc from my previous car will give me three years road tax for the Fiesta. Comfort levels are fine, whether on short or long journies. It’s a delight to drive and the high spec extras that are included as standard really do make the whole package a good deal. I have added one extra myself which was scuff plates on the door sills, which finish it off nicely and are well worth buying. I would recommend my particular model to anyone looking for a new car in this grouping.

Submitted: 2012-05-06 | ID: 39605

Derek Clegg, Cheshire

Ford Fiesta 1.1 Ghia 1989

My little Ford Fiesta (Uncle Fester) is a 1.1 Ghia in silver, and is now 23 years old. It has covered only 25,000 miles and runs as sweet as a nut! I get 40 mpg urban, and it will sit all day at 75 on the motorway. I purchased him from an elderly lady 3 years ago, who had had the little car from new, and at that stage it had covered only 17000 miles. Uncle Fester cost me £200, and has passed each MOT test without a fail for the last 3 years! He is comfortable to drive, has 4 doors, and I wouldn’t part with him for the world. A great advert for Ford.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 39637

Brian Miller, Middlesex

Ford Fiesta Centura 2011

I bought a Ford Fiesta Centura from Dagenham Motors, Hounslow. When I got the car home I checked it on the internet only to find the day-time running lights were missing. I returned the car to have them fitted and they had the car for two days and botched the fitting of the lights and scratched the car in doing so. At this time I then noticed that the the car had paint imperfections and there was a noise coming from the gear box. The (car had done 300 miles at this time) and together with the refit of the lights it took them a further three weeks to fix these problems and one week to offer me £200 for inconvenience, 4 weeks in total, which considering they had the car for longer than I had I felt this offer to be derisory, also when considering the depreciation of the car for one month plus my loan. Poor show Dagenham Motors, Hounslow - not nice people to do business with.

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 39638

Alan, England

Ford Fiesta Zetec S TDCi 2011

What an awesome car. It handles great and looks great. It’s got heated leather seats, bluetooth and the city pack. Averaging 51 mpg around town this is the best car I’ve owned!!

We bought a new 2011 Fiesta Titanium 1.6 Diesel on the 1/03/11 and have been taking it back to my dealer as it Jerks on acceleration and has a slight flat spot. Both of these are intermittent and have been confirmed independently and by a Ford Motor Company Field engineer. Ford now say, after a year of checking, that all the Fiesta diesels have this type of performance. Everyone else involved would consider it a fault - Geoffrey Hampson from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2012-01-16 | ID: 39633

Ivan Field, Lanarkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci titanium 2011

This car comes with a great package, but lots of road noise in the rear when going over slightly rougher surfaces on the motorway. Also fuel consumption is not what it’s made out to be; the best I have achieved so far is 49mpg at 60mph on a 25 mile motorway run. Around town I’m only getting mid 40’s mpg so not as expected. The auto headlights and wipers are great as is the heated front screen.

Since getting the car in May 2011, I’ve put 16k on the clock with an average 56 mpg. 50mpg is easily obtainable around town, you just have to drive economically. If you rag these, like any other car, you’ll not see decent economy figures. Best mpg was on a 350 mile motorway trip where I averaged 63.5 mpg - John Smith from England

Submitted: 2012-01-09 | ID: 39635

Kevin, Norfolk

Ford Fiesta zetec s 1.6 2011

I have a Ford Fiesta mk7 2011 zetec s 1.6 petrol. I have parking sensors and folding mirrors, DAB and more. It’s also a very good small fun car. It gets good MPG, 50mpg on motorway runs at 70mph. I’ve got the 17s and 30-35mm Ford lowered springs and wow! The only bad thing is the poor rear leg room and rear door cards are very rough on your arm. Also the rear headrests come out way too far and hit on your neck. Mine is a 3 door so a 5door maybe different?

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 39632

John Rivers, Berkshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2005

I bought this low mileage lovely little car for my daughter who’s at university in Bath, for her 18th birthday 2 years ago and could not fault it until recently. It was due a service 3 months ago, but we left it a bit longer as it had passed the MOT with no faults. The oil and water were checked and it went back to Bath University. We had a call last week stating it was making a whirring noise and the oil light was flashing, so we told her to carefully drive it back the 5 miles to her home. The next call was to say it had stopped in the middle of nowhere, we drove the 100 mile round trip to Bath and back to recover it only to discover that the oil filter had rusted through at the bottom! ( I can’t believe it!) then the engine emptied out of oil and seized up. NEW ENGINE REQUIRED! A very bad design and a very upset family.

So you ignore servicing the car (no way do oil filters rot through in 12 months) then advise to drive the car with oil light flashing! I’d say you got exactly what was coming and you deserved it. Hope you’ve learned a lesson - from England

Your problem is not the fault of the car it seems - Ashley Law from Essex

Was it a Ford oil filter that corroded? - Kevin Simms from England

David has clearly bought the wrong car! One, parking sensors are a luxury, not a necessity, so stop whining that it doesn’t beep when you put your car in reverse! Are you an idiot? Have you forgot about how you used to be able to drive before parking sensors were around! To be frank, you’re just whining for the sake of it and being far too goddamn LAZY! Mpg figures are guidelines. If you really are a fool and believe what Ford tell you, that’s your own fault! Ford would have done tests and got average figures from every road, weather, bumpiness, condition of every surface they can to get the best miles per gallon. If you stuck to speed limits, and drove sensibly and stop faffing about trying to listen for your parking sensors, you might actually acheive somewhere near the range you’ve been told. Different mpg also for different engine sizes and engine types e.g. Automatic or Manual. This car is amazing, it’s quite by far the best little hatchback of today and is very modern. Ford are trying to keep in touch with a wider range of customers to appeal to everyone. It is spacious, looks sporty, good to drive, EASY to drive (with/wo Parking sensors -.-) And is a real head turner. David, I believe you want to check your hearing first before moaning. Like I say, parking sensors are a luxury, hence why you paid for them as an EXTRA OPTION on your Fiesta. Ford have been around for years and always tried their best in making the best cars around and I feel they are doing a fantastic job with new innovation and technology to keep up with today’s fast moving times - from Kent

Submitted: 2011-11-21 | ID: 39627

Adam Adamson, Durham

Ford Fiesta S TDCi 2011

Quality interior and exterior finish, 55+mpg normal driving. 60+mpg if driving with econ in mind. Not the quickest, but it goes okay when worked. Overall, a decent buy.

Submitted: 2011-11-07 | ID: 39615

Laurence Bloxham, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta Flight 1.3 2002

Really great first car, handles well, gets you from A to B comfortably, quite quick and handy compartments in interior, runs smoothly as well.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-10-27 | ID: 39614

D Close, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S 2009

What a great car, drives so well smooth and fast. Only problem I have had is a squeaky clutch pedal soon sorted by my Ford dealer. The car drives so well it feels like a £20k+ car and holds the road so well.

Submitted: 2011-10-10 | ID: 39613

Cheeko, Scotland

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2007

Ford Fiesta style purchased new in 2007. No problems as yet at 29,000 miles. The car is great to drive and a bit more punch in high rev range than you would expect from a 1.2. The car handles well and is very comfortable inside. 4/5 given due to the poor fuel consumption of between 35-42 mpg max on motorway journeys.<br /><br />

I’ve had my 1.25 (82hp) Fiesta Edge since February 2011 and am also disappointed with the (lack of) economy. Granted manufacturers figures always need to be taken with a pinch of salt but a week’s driving around town gets 35mpg (in mild weather) and the best I have achieved on a run was 46mpg average on a trip from Norfolk to Surrey and back including motorways, travelling at the legal limit wherever possible, but also trying to drive economically. I had a previous shape Fiesta 1.25 (which was heavier) which would do 50mpg on same journey without really trying so was expecting at least 50mpg from the new one. The gear change indicator is impossible to use (you cannot change up between gears quick enough making anything other than pedestrian progress) and does not appear to take into account road gradient, car load etc? - from Norfolk

Apart from the poor fuel economy, I have no other complaints about the Fiesta - it rides and handles well, is very comfortable, roomy (especially the boot), quiet and the engine comes alive at motorway speeds. The radio is good as with all Fords, once you’ve worked out the fiddly menu system! - from Norfolk

Submitted: 2011-08-22 | ID: 39616

Hana James, Devon

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2011

I too hate this car. I feel conned as the car only does 35mpg. Ok I’ve only had the thing six weeks, but there’s no sign of improvement and I read of others with same problem. I have the city pack fitted, folding mirrors and rear sensors, however, the sound from the sensors is so low it’s hardly worth paying extra. The car is not that comfy and lacks covered areas to store things. I could go on. I just hate it and would not recommend to anyone.

I have to agree with you about the parking sensors, they are far too quiet. You have to turn the radio down to make sure you don’t reverse into anything. They also don’t beep when you select reverse, to show they are functioning, which they did on my previous car. Ford are a bit tongue-in-cheek about fuel economy figures. My 1.6 tdci can only get within 15 miles per gallon of the alleged combined figure. Also there is no carpet on the back of the rear seats, how tight is that! - David Fenn from Norfolk

You paid for reversing sensors on a Fiesta? How the hell did you pass your driving test? It’s like match box size. I drive lorries and buses and I don’t need reversing sensors. A sign of a bad driver - David Surman from England

I assume you have the 1.25, but please forgive me if I’m incorrect. I felt the same way at the start with the 35mpg, however I now manage to average at least 42mpg, and if I’m travelling long distance, i.e 150+ miles, I can usually average 55 mpg at a speed of 68mph, it’s going over 70 that seems to make the car drink more fuel, because of the high revs, really feels like the car should have a 6th gear. However, I have to completely disagree with you on the comfy part, it is definitely the most comfortable car I have driven (that’s between an Austin Mini, Rover 214, Kia Sportage, Mitsubishi L200, Vauxhall Corsa, Peugeot 307) and one of the most comfortable I have been a passenger in. Although my parking sensors are quiet, I don’t feel they’re that bad, I don’t see the problem with them not beeping when you select reverse, they’re there as a last resort, incase you are about to bump something you may have not seen. As for storage area, there’s the usual glove box, seat pouches, door cards and a little hidden storage thing to hide your phone in or something for the driver. It even has cup holders for every passenger! What car are you reviewing? I totally agree with David’s point about Ford saving money, there was no engine cover or carpets as standard in my car. Alex is right about the handling brilliant little supermini! - Garreth Evans from Suffolk

I had this car five months now and the most mpg I have achieved is 36, on a mix of roads, 37 motorway. Been into garage 3 times, same story, nothing wrong. Paid for independent check with RAC, they say same but agree with me regarding Ford and their fairy stories. Regarding mpg, Ford fail to respond to letters and emails, garage uninterested. Not a bad drive but unless you have access to free petrol, this car is not recommended. By the way, drive at a boring 55mph on motorways and keep to limits everywhere else. Any thoughts? - Hana James from Devon

Submitted: 2011-08-14 | ID: 39621

Claire Kellett, Cumberland

Ford Fiesta Finesse 1.4 Tdci 2004

I’ve had mine since new, it’s done nearly 60,000 miles and apart from new front springs and a new exhaust (due to living down a farm track), it’s been pretty good! I did have a chugging injector problem fixed last year and some of the trim has come loose but all in all, I love my little car. The boot happily accommodates my large Airedale terrier and it is good fun to drive, so much so I’m struggling to find a replacement. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-08-11 | ID: 39620

Craig Sull, Ireland

Ford Fiesta zx zetec s 2000

I only got the car 2 days ago. I drove all the way to Mayo and it was grand on the 3 hour drive back. Then two days later it start overheating and the water was boiling. It’s done 116k.

Submitted: 2011-08-02 | ID: 39619

Gary Forrest, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Fiesta 1.4 16V ZETEC 2003

Had my car since July 2010 (now 83400 miles) and I’ve had to replace few consumable items - i.e. starter motor, power steering pump, water pump etc., but so far it seems quite reliable. If driven carefully I get approx 32 in town 43 mixed driving 57 if I am doing 50-55mph on motorway. Insurance group 4, but I wish road tax was cheaper currently £155 per year - wish I had new shape fiesta 1.6 tdci econetic!

Submitted: 2011-06-01 | ID: 39549

Trevor, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta ghia 1.4 se 2004

It lacks the bhp a bit, i.e. 80, but it is ok for small runs etc. It can struggle at times with weight etc, and on hills you need to work the 5 speed gear box a lot. But a 1.4 is not going to set the world on fire... Still a fair car.

Submitted: 2011-05-17 | ID: 39547

Trevor, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 SILVER 2004

It is ok for short trips, but on 195/45 tyres it is a bit harsh on the long roads that we have. The the engine is only ok. Load the car and it will be hard work to press on, but it is only a 1.4 as you will find out up hills ! You need more b.h.p for a main car, mine is a town car. 80 bp is ok.

Submitted: 2011-05-11 | ID: 39548

Caitlin, Selkirkshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec Blue (Special Edition) 1.4 TDCi 2008

I have had this car for about 6 months now, and covered about 10k in it (Borders to Edinburgh every day). Tax is good, £30 per year, insurance is about £1k/year (both drivers are under 25, so this isn’t too bad). It drives well, has some kick to it (being tdci). It’s the special edition so has low profile tyres, alloys, Sony CD player etc, it it fairly attractive. I get 55 mpg on average (about half the 3 hours spent in it per day is city driving, i.e. 30mph/less and the other half is country roads, i.e. 60mph), however the last few weeks it has been more towards 58mpg. This is with two of us in the car 80% of the time. In terms of problems, the car only had 10 500 miles on it when I bought it at 14k one of the fuel injector seals went (luckily it was still within warranty) I wouldn’t have expected this with such a low mileage, however with any luck it means that they won’t go again at 40k (as seems to be a problem many others have had). Due to the low profile tyres, you can ’feel’ the road surface a fair amount. The leg room in the front is vast, and the back is very generous compared to other small cars, three people car sit very comfortably in the back (knees don’t touch the seat in front, and it’s not too tight). It is comparable in size to the back seats in the Focus etc. I have been in the back of a friend’s Peugot 206 and it was very very tight. The boot is a good size, my dogs (a lab + a spaniel) fit quite happily. When the seats are folded flat the space is relatively enormous for a small car; I have transported fridges, rabbit cages, laminate flooring, tvs, etc with no bother at all. The interior is not particularly attractive, however it is not bad and this is down to personal taste. The seats are relatively comfortable for long journeys. It is easy to get in and out of the back seats (I have the 3dr version). Overall a good little car, and I would recommend it to anyone. So impressed that my next car will definitely be a Ford!

Submitted: 2011-04-25 | ID: 39546

S McIntyre, Lanarkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec TDCI 2003

Bought this car from a Ford dealer with 20,000 mile on the clock. Now has 85,000. All in all a good little car; economical, pleasant to drive, cheap to insure and tax, handles well. Problems: injector seal went at 40,000, £250 to repair. This is a common fault with this engine apparently. Clutch went at 60,000, £400 to repair. Both front alloys dented by potholes (Low profile tyres as standard), haven’t replaced them yet (£150 each). Air conditioning stopped working about 40,000. I get about 50mpg no matter how gently I drive it. Sometimes 55 on a run but no more than that. It has nice torque across the rev range and is reasonably quiet on the motorway. Legroom in the front is pretty good (I’m 6’ 2"). Would I but another one? Maybe, but I think I’d prefer something a bit more reliable.

Submitted: 2011-04-12 | ID: 39541

Richard Robinson, Nottinghamshire

Ford Fiesta 1250 Zetec 3 door 2010

Fuel consumption first, I get readings on the computer of 50,51 when on the longer trips with just me in car. With a couple of passengers it drops to 49. Around town so far it reads in the low 40s. But the point is that this car is a brilliant drive and can really serve up some fun if you want it. If you want a boring car that will give better economy then there out there for you. If you want a small car that drives brilliantly AND has the capability of giving real driver enjoyment then this car does have that. This is my honest opinion and after thirty years driving police vehicle have I ever driven a better small car? NEVER! Try one. Hope this helps.

I have recently purchased a Ford Fiesta 1.25 edge model, I am disappointed with a droning/howling noise at all speeds. The general consensus seems to indicate tyre noise. Does anyone out there experience similar problems as described or is this a common characteristic of 2010 Fiestas? Hopefully Fords can provide a true answer to my question! - Michael Murphy from Oxfordshire

Submitted: 2011-04-07 | ID: 39543

Peter Lane, Cardiff

Ford Fiesta Diesel Econetic TDCi 1.6 2009

I bought this vehicle on the 29/01/2010. It was an ex Ford Managers vehicle with 7,500 miles on the clock. I have been very pleased with it in all respects: its performance, fuel consumption and reliability. There have been not bodywork rattles or squeaks, or electronic problems at all. I don’t niggle over fuel consumption: it is around 60mpg. The right hand external mirror trim fell off in a car park; I put it back on myself and it hasn’t come off since. Most people do not feel moved to write a review until something annoying and expensive occurs. I have not had any faults to return the vehicle for and have done 13,500 miles since acquiring it. It has had one 12 monthly servicing. My last 1.4 TDCi 2004 did 120,000 miles driving from Cardiff to Bristol daily and never produced one single fault. Most of this is just luck, like the bad luck the other reviewers have had. Now to be really critical, I will list everything that did annoy me a bit in order of precedence 1. The useless tyre repair kit in lieu of a spare wheel , jack and wheel brace. I purchase the lot and threw the kit into my loft. That doesn’t involve loss of space. 2. The annoying feature, that when the heater fan is switched on, with the heat turned off and any screen setting is selected, the air con comes on and freezes you to death. 3.The annoying oil can symbol that warns that servicing is due, this will come on after you have had it serviced annually and not by mileage. This takes a long search on the Internet to find the multiple combination of pedals and switches to operate simultaneously to switch it off. 4. The low skirt under the radiator grill that clips Sleeping Policemen: that is unless you hit the centre of these obstructions with one front wheels in the centre of the mound. If this is all I have to worry about for 120,000 miles and no other problems arise I will consider myself very lucky. A very good car indeed.

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 39542

Jack Blease, Aberdeenshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1250cc 2010

Bought car 1 year ago. Poor mileage, 37mpg is the best I can get using all the recognised tips recommended. Had to invest in a spare wheel etc., which of course hurts the fuel consumption. Some other small niggles, but the steering and roadholding are very good. Next one I will have will be a 1.6TDCI for a bit more poke and better mileage. It’s still much better than my previous Yaris, which you can find on Toyota reviews.

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 39545

Stefano Jackson, Bedfordshire

Ford Fiesta TDCI 2005

For years I drove only Volvos. I had a lot of breakdowns too. I tried a diesel Fiesta Zetec in 2002, to save on fuel costs and had 90,000 trouble free miles in that car. My 2005 diesel Fiesta Ghia now has 70,000 miles and has been faultless, it still returns 59 mpg and (touch wood) has been totally reliable.

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 39560

Balazs Toth, Cyprus

Ford Fiesta 1.4L 2011

Pros: Fairly inexpensive. Small. Low maintenance cost. Great air conditioning (needed in Cyprus)</p> <p>Cons: Poor fuel economy (less than 500km per fill up). Slow acceleration. Poor build quality (lots of rattles and squeaks). Road noise. Doesn’t retain its value.

Submitted: 2011-02-28 | ID: 39554

Trev Bamford, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 2004

Very good, but a bit loud on motorway its 1.4 petrol engine can flag on the hills too, but it’s good in town. Leather seats, air con, all the bells and bits 2004 reg, 4000 miles no probs. NICE car, but could do with a bit more waft.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-02-27 | ID: 39558

Claire Young, Lincolnshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 zetec climate 2010

My Fiesta has started making a scraping noise from the front, only since this spell of bad weather, on slow corner manoveres and pulling back down my drive, it’s like the springs! My Ford dealership have yet to find it. Also tonight have heard water slushing about somewhere, found water dripping from off the bottom of the rear passenger door. Another trip booked to the dealership tomorrow!

I bought my car in January 2011, 2010 model. It’s nice to drive, struggles a bit up hills. I have used every tip in the book to obtain better fuel economy but no joy. Still can’t get past 36mpg, this is urban and motorway driving. Very disappointed as this is nowhere near what Ford says it can do. It has 1,400 miles on the clock and the dealer said it should improve by 2000-3000 miles, if not there is a device I can buy for £30 to check the driving pattern. Seems a bit ludicrous, got 45 urban and 58 motorway in my 9 year old Punto and even better when new, my driving hasn’t changed. If anyone can offer advice other than the obvious to improve consumption, it would be appreciated - Linda Douglas from Scotland

I too had a problem with water in my Ford Fiesta. It was in the doors, then in the engine - Marie Newton from Lancashire

Submitted: 2011-02-25 | ID: 39555

Paul Bolton, England

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI ZETEC S 2010

Well chuffed With my new buy. Purchased for my Wife. Had about 2 months now. Build quality Very good, smooth drive, great driving postiton, smooth gear change and the quietest diesel I have ever driven. Mpg very good too. If you order one, make sure you order it with the spare wheel/brace and jack, cost me extra £50, but well worth it. Owned Fords now for over 20 years and this is the best yet. A great small car with a very big personality. Before you buy any small car, you must have a test drive. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 39559

Peter, Surrey

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium 2010

I traded down from a 2 litre Ghia Focus, so I now benefit from lower emissions and less road tax plus better consumption. The performance is just as good, the engine is much smoother and very willing to rev. My only gripes are; manual rear windows, no drivers central armrest and biggest of all is drum brakes at the rear. If Ford had addressed those shortcomings they would have had a lovely small executive sports car. Rear seat leg room is a bit tight and the boot is not over large, but for two people it is more than adequate. Two adults in the back are ok for short journeys. After speccing my car came to around £15,300 but with trade in and discount from my on line buyer I reduced that to £10,500.

Submitted: 2011-02-11 | ID: 39563

Alan Thomas, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 zetec 2005

Ford 1.4 zetec 2005. Bought mine second hand 3 months ago, no problems so far but have noticed high fuel consumption.

Submitted: 2011-02-08 | ID: 39561

Jimmy Ngan, New Zealand

Ford Fiesta TDCi 1.6 LX 2011

Just purchased new diesel 1.6 LX. Had if for 7 days now So far, no teethening problems Just that fuel usage around 5.6L/100km not 4.4L as stated by Ford, but it’s early days as the engine is still tight. But for a new cheap diesel car with bell and whistles for NZ standards it’s not bad. Have tried a few new small diesel cars, this one is quieter than some engine noises. One thing Ford should give back as a car package is full size spare tyre and jack/brass instead of the mobility kit.

Submitted: 2011-02-08 | ID: 39562

James Millward, Derbyshire

Ford Fiesta zetec s 2008

Worst car I have ever owned. Been a big fan of the ’fast Fords’ but with the rise in fuel I had to trade my Focus ST in and unfortunately bought this. It’s basically falling to pieces after 20k, it’s had to go in for a new gear box, air flow system, which is still not right, plastic, rubber trims are falling off. Awful, awful car, stay away!<br /><br />

Have you considered that this is not a Focus ST and needs to be driven more as a family car? - from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2011-01-25 | ID: 39552

Jane Allen, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta 2005

Rubbish car. Had it for 3 years (bought second hand from a Ford Dealer - who saw me coming and laughed all the way to the bank). So far it has needed new springs, steering column, new clutch, a new computer chip because it kept bringing up an EAC error and would not drive, so this became the last resort (small change out of £1000 for that one). Now it has a noisy ticking sound, which I am starting to wonder has some link with the cam belt. Utter rubbish. I have always been told that Ford’s are cheap to repair but all the parts are garbage so it costs a fortune in the end. I had 3 Rover cars before this, which had dreaded Gasket problems, but were cheap and reliable compared to this hulk of junk. Would never touch another Ford again.

Submitted: 2011-01-11 | ID: 39551

Joe Brooks, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6 petrol 2007

I am currently on my third of the new Fiesta models, having previously also owned an early model 1.6 Titanium petrol version, as well as a second car a petrol 1.6 Zetec S. The current Titanium is streets ahead of the first one although why is unknown. Have not heard of any modifications. Both were subject to careful running in despite claims it is no longer necessary. Yes it is, just as is changing the oil evry 6,000 miles max, using a Forte oil flush and also Forte fuel flush. Makes a considerable difference to smooth engine, fuel economy and low emissions. Honest! The first one I had couldn’t get near the fuel economy of the newer two despite having around 14,000 on the clock. The only reason the Zetec S was traded was because the ride was a bit too firm for comfort! It sure took the Scottish Highlands winding roads in style and power though. For those inclined to save by doing services at the standard intervals, and at Main Dealerships, my advice is "don’t". My trusty small good garage scheme registered business does a much more thorough job. Finding defective plugs in my first Titanium well before the first due service was a shock and helped improve it somewhat. The main dealership tick list would have missed this for many more miles - for less I get more. All the crucial bits are taken off or out for inspection. If you think this is OTT, take a look at your air filter at 6.000 miles. Even better, look at one with a full service Main Dealer history of 2/3 years. One second hand car I owned had the screws securing it rusted into position, with a filthy, never changed filter and a cupful of sand in the housing. No surprise perhaps that if I buy a second hand car with a FSH at a dealership, its first visit is a lookover at a proper garage!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-09 | ID: 39550

J Russell, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec climate 2005

Had this car for over 4 years having bought it when it was 9 months old with 1,000 miles on clock. Now has 35,000 miles. So far have only had to spend out for routine servicing and tyres. Has been very reliable and economical. My only negative comments would be that the front seats aren’t the most comfortable and the back seats don’t fold down flat otherwise it’s an excellent little motor.

Submitted: 2010-12-07 | ID: 39567

Nick Southam, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2009

There are a few things that I see on these reviews that one would think that Ford would address. It might be that those who are in the area of customer relations and their tech department should stop and think about how lucky they are to have a job. The fact being that all of us pay their wages; this also goes for dealerships as well. From reading many of these rants, which I think are very fair indeed, why in hells name when you have told them of the problem and where it is and you show them, they have the cheek to say they can’t find the fault or it’s normal for the model. What tosh and don’t treat us like fools! I Have just started to have fuel probs; using a lot and so took it in , “Ah, yes Nick we have upgraded the software”  Oh yeah? So when I looked at the trip it told me on half a tank I could go 94 miles then walk! So I filled it up to see if it would reset ...um nope, it now tells me I can go 234.7 mile before I walk. They tell you that it should settle down. It’s going back as I think you may all agree when you first buy the car it has not worked out anything on the trip ...yet when you fill up you get around 480 to 490 per tank, well that’s what I got anyway, cods that it what I have to say and it is going in again. I did see that CD player had over heated as well mine did sometime ago must see if it does it again as I have noticed a small crack, hard to see but its there all the same just above the player... Well all I can say is Dagenham motors have always been fair with me, it might be that I am blunt and having worked on cars and plant I don’t take silly comments well. I’m going to ask if they can do a full check on the pc as I am sure this is where the fault lies, or in the way the software has been added. Give me back my Morris Minor.

Submitted: 2010-12-06 | ID: 39566

Edward Miller, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta Diesel 2009

Bought the car new last November and was very impressed with the roadholding particularly when it snowed and I was able to push on when others were left wheel-spinning. Good points: I’ve kept a detailed spreadsheet of MPG over the last year - worst was 50.5mpg, best was 60.0 so I’m getting about 500 miles per tank. My daily commute is 80 miles with about 20% being through congested towns. Bad points: Seems to take forever to produce heat in the cabin, usually about 8 miles/ 20 mins. Maybe I’m spoiled, my last car, a BMW 320i was warm by the time I left my driveway. No frost detector, it would be nice to know the outside temperature and be able to react accordingly. I always carry a black towel to put on top of the dashboard because the reflections onto the ’screen in sunlight can make driving difficult. Engine can be noisy under acceleration. All that aside, I’m glad I bought it

It takes long to heat up because its a diesel, diesels take longer to warm up, I’m sure your BMW was a petrol - S Dani from London

Submitted: 2010-12-05 | ID: 39564

Wendy Clayton, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 2009

I purchased my car in October 2009, it has keyless entry/power start, leather seats so list price was just under 18k, I traded in a 53 reg (2004) Fusion 1.4 tdci and handed over 10k so all in all a good deal. I had an annoying rattle in the front of the car, seemed to be coming from the headlining and my various passengers kept trying to trace it. Eventually one passenger gave it a mighty thump and the rattle stopped and hasn’t returned. I haven’t had any other problems until today. I got a puncture and have a had to buy a replacement tyre - obviously not Fords fault. I have picked the car up at 4pm and drove back to work (100 yards). When I came out of work at 5pm the folding door mirrors didn’t unfold, at traffic lights I checked the menu for the vehicle and the setting had changed to not respond to locking. I changed it back but still not working. I also have a headlamp out, which I noticed when I pulled up against a wall when I got home. In 30 years of driving and my last 6 cars being Fords I have never had to have a new bulb. What should the life expectancy be? Hopefully the puncture, the mirrors and the bulb are my 3 things and it will be ok now. Diesel consumption is about 50mpg and I have done 14k miles.

Where did your friend thump the car? I want to try it on mine! - Matthew Smith from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2010-11-18 | ID: 39568

Alison Hayes, County Antrim

Ford Fiesta 2008

I bought my Ford Fiesta in December 2008 and I loved it, but now after having had it nearly 2 years I am having major problems; 1). My exhaust it’s making a really weird noise and I thought it was blowing out so I booked it in to get it looked at and the top tech man said this was a normal thing but quite common in Ford, and he said to me that exhaust problems are only covered in the first year warranty like omg who’s exhaust is going to give up after a year? 2). There is water getting into my car behind my drivers seat and I mean my floor is absolutely soaking with water and again ford say water damage is only covered in their first year warranty so I’m out a lot of money which I am totally disgusted at. Overall I have found Ford to be very unhelpful and I would never buy from Ford again, by far the worst car I have ever bought, do not buy one you are just throwing your money away.

I totally agree. Bought my car with water in the boot from the beginning, the roof seams needed sealing up and the dealer was rubbish. I had no idea about the warranty being pretty worthless after one year, and was disgusted when I found out. In this day and age a manufacturer who does not have faith in a warranty of more than one year, that covers everything is poor indeed. Like you I will not be buying another Ford - David Fenn from Norfolk

The new Fiesta I have, 58 plate, has had water ingress, seems to be a common fault! Carpets in the front drivers well and back passenger well saturated, was in warranty but was not covered, but they did pay for it and so they should do! Very bad, you would think they would sort out the problems before selling this new car! It’s a shame, it’s a good car and drives well but silly problems like this let it down! - Anne Cash from Buckinghamshire

You were lucky. My water problem was in my doors and engine - Marie Newton from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-11-01 | ID: 39581

Ian, Cheshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 petrol 2003

What a pile of sh**e, cam belt just snapped at 89k (100,000 supposed to last) and wrecked valves, £1300 repair bill on top of new clutch and collapsed rear wheel bearing, awful piece of c**p, no torque, c**p fuel consumption, utter garbage give me Japanese anytime.

I also have a Fiesta which is 2003 1.4 Zetec and I always air on side of caution and changed all my belts at 77,000 miles (my friend is a mechanic). I only use manufacturers time scale as guide - I change under this. Hope this helps you for future cars you buy - Gary Forrest from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Submitted: 2010-10-30 | ID: 39585

Robert Tyka, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta TDCI GHIA 2008

Hi, bought this Fiesta 2 years ago. What a car, it does everything and has never let me down. 60 mpg. Passed every MoT. Everybody who has used it has remarked how nippy it is, they keep coming back to use it. Superb little hatch, would recommend 10/10 well done Ford.

It’s 2008 so has only had one MOT at the most - Steve Walters from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-10-30 | ID: 39587

Nigel de Stadler, South Africa

Ford Fiesta Ambient 2010

My new fiesta 2010 Ambient has a few faults: 1) terrible road noise 2) bad fuel consumption 3) noise from release bearing.

Got to agree with 2 points you made and that is the noise from the release bearing in the gearbox is dreadful and the fuel consumption, which is an absolute joke for a 1.25. I think Ford have fiddled the figures for fuel consumption - from Kent

Same problems as you. Mine is also a 2010 model. How do you know it is the release bearing? What are the symptoms? I delivered my car back to the main dealer today and he is going to drop the gearbox to check every thing out under warranty. My problem was a gear rattle in neutral with clutch pedal up. Only when cold it went entirely when the engine/gearbox was warm - Ron Friedlos from Surrey

Submitted: 2010-10-03 | ID: 39570

Ghael, Lanarkshire

Ford Fiesta Fiesta Zetec 1.25 (82)5dr 2010

I purchased my Fiesta 3 weeks ago - and quite frankly I hate it. It is very uncomfortable and I find the seat belt far too tight which is causing great discomfort to my shoulder. . After having a Citroen C3 which was pleasure to drive - very spacious in terms of headroom and visibility. I find the Fiesta very confined and the rear window visibilty is poor. I am considering trading it in at the turn of the year.

I should have thought that a test drive would have revealed these ’problems’ - from Cheshire

Submitted: 2010-10-03 | ID: 39573

Andrei C, Romania

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Trend 2010

5 stars deserve my little Fiesta, after 12.500km (8000miles): the average consumption is 3,8l/100km (not even once passed 3,9l/100km!!!), not a single problem with bodywork or the engine, well manufactured (built in Cologne, Germany - yes, "Ze germans...), very cheap to run, an unbelievable driving experience - despite its size (compared even with large class models). The only minus is the total lack of power (torque) under 1800rpm.

Submitted: 2010-09-29 | ID: 39580

Joe Gillespie, Dorset

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 Automatic 2010

I am very happy with my new Fiesta. It is a pleasure to drive and the handling is first class. The automatic transmission is smooth - unlike my previous Toyota Yaris which was a dog. Fuel economy is difficult to judge at this stage as I haven’t done anything other than short hops though town so far. I have an iPhone which I can plug into the console to play music and make hand-free calls with BlueTooth. The voice activated commands are surprisingly good. My only gripes are minor ones. I would have liked the back seats to fold flat as the Yaris ones do and I would have liked a proper spare wheel.

Yes I agree, my one major gripe with the new Fiesta is that the back seats do not fold down flat like the useless Toyota Yaris I had before, which was its only good point - from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2010-09-25 | ID: 39578

Ray Perry, Lincolnshire

Ford Fiesta Ghia 2004

I have owned a Fiesta Ghia for 3 years: good road-holding with even braking. The excellant air-filter in the cabin assists hay fever passengers. I average 43 miles to the gallon. It is a smooth ride and I have changed front suspension springs but have had no major problems - the judder on fast accelation is normal.

Submitted: 2010-09-22 | ID: 39577

Marion McKenna, County Fermanagh

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi 90 Zetec 2008

I traded in my ultra reliable 2006 PEUGEOT 207 1.6 HDi 90 SPORT for this bucket of pure and utter sh*te, bought the car late 08 and have been having trouble ever since. The engine has been ok so far, I bought the 1.6 TDCi with the knowledge of having the same engine in my old 207 which was faultless. The electrics have the odd glitch and the optional parking sensors I asked for have been playing up, brought it back to FORD and they ’FIXED’ it according to them, the next day they broke again! Also I was surprised to find I could bath my child in the footwell one morning after a shower of rain. I’m not in any way impressed with this car AT ALL! Even the engine feels really slow and sluggish compared to my old 207. Once November comes I will be going back to a 207 I think, I have always driven Peugeots ’til this Fiesta and I wish I had never bought it.

I have been reading both the reviews of the 2006 Peugeot 207 (just bought one) and the 2007 Ford Fiesta (family currently has two) and am surprised by your comment. The Fiestas have been good with a few minor problems as per the reviews on this page. The 207 has been with us for only a few weeks so can’t comment but going by the reviews it seems we have made a mistake. Still, a lot depends on driving style and the care you put in, and each has its own personality. I’m looking forward to seeing how the 207 fares in the months ahead - from Bedfordshire

Submitted: 2010-09-21 | ID: 39575

Richard Greaves, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCI 5Dr 2009

Hired a Ford Fiesta for the weekend from Avis. Firstly the bad points: Visibility. In comparison to an old P-reg Fiesta I drove many moons ago the rearview is pretty poor, making you far more reliant on side mirrors. Visibility up front is also limited by the roof encroaching - this may have more to do with mty height than anything else but it did seem to be noticable in comparison to other cars I’ve driven. Good points: Where to start! We only booked a basic car for the weekend so wasn’t expecting much, when picking the car up I managed to ensure we got a diesel-powered car as I was planning on doing a couple of pretty long journies. The car is sharp and responsive on the road, and when though there isn’t much power under your right foot the car feels and acts like a little nippy motor. Driving down country roads was a really pleasure as you can throw the car into a bend with great confidence. It made for an engaging and pleasurable journey. The other big plus was fuel economy, obviously at the end of your hire it’s much better to fill the car up yourself rather than pay a premium on Avis doing your job for you, so it came to a real surprise to have a much lower fuel bill than I was expecting, even taking into account switching to a diesel car rather than petrol. Its a good looking car too - the Ford metallic blue which is a pretty common sight now is a real eye-catcher. For me the engine and quality driving dynamics far outweight the downsides and its easy to see why the Ford Fiesta is the most popular car in the UK.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-20 | ID: 39593

Peter Devonshire, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta Style 2007

Finally this unforgettable car has gone to be replaced by a Skoda Fabia. A far better car which has quality all over it. And the joke made about the depreciation can be forgotten. Ford’s reputation is becoming as tainted as old Skodas of years gone by. They depreciate like Ladas these days<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-09-07 | ID: 39594

Alan Sanders, Norfolk

Ford Fiesta 1250 2010

Have had new Ford car every 3 years for 30 years just changed Fusion 1.4 diesel for 1250 Fiesta and the fuel consumption stinks at 34 mpg, not a happy bunny.

Submitted: 2010-08-26 | ID: 39596

Susannah Middleton, Shropshire

Ford Fiesta titanium 1.4 2010

Purchased the new Ford titanium 1.4 and have problems with the power. Can be good or bad, driving me mad, can be going along and the car lacks acceleration which is scary, been in the garage 4 times and now taking it further. Love the car otherwise.

The problems you are experienceing could be caused by the air conditioning. Please look at my review that is just below yours. Just to let you know Ford are not interested. Took my Fiesta back again last week, charged for diagnostic test. By the way my car is only 18 months old, been back to Ford on numerous occassions - Mark Witt from Wales

I have had problems with power on my 1.4 titanium as well. Mine has been back 3 times and I’m convinced the car is jinxed. It drinks fuel also and I am not a fast driver at all. The auto wipers come on when its as perfectly dry and sunny day, the auto lights come on in a cloudless blue sky at 2pm in the afternoon. The fuel consumption in the book is nothing like the reality of driving the car. I am in the process of trying to get another Fiesta off Ford as mine is only 3 months old. I sold my 5 year old BMW 320ci 2.2 litre to get an economical small car, only to find out it drinks a lot more fuel than my old BMW sports car. The car is a nightmare - Russ Hill from London

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 39597

Nick Thorne, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium X pack 2010

There seem to be very mixed reviews for this new Fiesta. I am obviously one of the lucky ones. I have had non of the problems other people have suffered (so far anyway, touch wood!) I am, like many others, disappointed with the economy, which falls way below Ford’s figures. It is comparable with the Vauxhall Corsa 1.3CDTi (90HP) model that I had before though and that had 6 gears. As for driving, the Fiesta is leagues ahead of the competition. I drove several other cars before choosing the Fiesta and the ride, handling and especially the steering are vastly superior to most other superminis. The diesel engine is also quieter, smoother and more responsive than average. One thing I would say, stick to the standard 16" wheels. The 17" rims that come with the X pack look great but do give a firmer ride. It is not bad, just not as good as standard. On my experience I can easily recommend the Fiesta. Perhaps the early cars had teething troubles. I hope Ford has sorted them, it would be a shame if a great car was spoilt by poor quality control.

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 39595

Mark Witt, Wales

Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetec 2009

I’ve had my Fiesta from new, March 2009. When the air con is running the car hesitates under acceleration. Going up hills I have to change down to second gear. The car feels as if it is missing. Ford are aware of the problem and said to give the engine at least 10-15000 miles to get run in. By then the warranty will have expired! Has anyone else had the same problem? I would be very interested to find out.

I am having the same problem. I bought my car in Jan 2008 and it was fine until christmas this year it started struggling. It had a service done on it at christmas and since then when you use air con it struggles and feels like it is missing. I am also experiencing trouble with the fan in the back on the dash board as it’s very loud even have to turn the stereo up to get rid of the noise. Just got my car back and have found that since it went in this morning they have driven it back to me and there is no a starnge noise coming from the engine so am pulling my hair out at the moment. Apart from that the car has been great and I love it - from England

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 39590

Nick Smith, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2009

Why can’t you post lower than 1 star? What a pile of c**p, if you’re after good fuel economy don’t bother. I told the dealer I do 50k a year and was looking at the Ecomotive but was pushed to the Zetec as only 7mpg difference. What a mistake! I get on average about 52mpg - nowhere near the 67.4 stated in the brochures or the website, so you looking at 25% less than stated. And the engine has been run-in. I bought the car onn 5/11/2009 and on 23/7/2010 I have covered 34k. I have pushed this with Ford customer service and you get a standard letter. If you do this quote what others get from this forum in your second letter. Ford hope that noone responds to their letter and hope you go away. Just push them. I am looking to set-up a Facebook page up soon to advertise how c**p they are so everyone notices and sales will hopefully drop. I will post the link on here at a later date. Other issues are rattling speakers, had to be sorted and has anyone else got warm air con? I have to have mine on full power of the fans to get it cold, once cold it does not stay cool. My former Auris and Avensis were like feezers they were that cold. Tyres don’t last, the Michelin lasted for 19k on the front, previous Bridgestone lasted me 28K. More rattles come fro, the dashborad area than the local creche.

Submitted: 2010-07-26 | ID: 39589

Owen, New Zealand

Ford Fiesta 2010

A car with good handling and effective breaks. A bit too much noise from the tyres and the poor around town fuel economy are complaints I have in common with others. However, I have also had a stability problem with the new style jack. While jacking up the front wheel to fit mud flaps, the base of the jack slipped out and caused damage to the body of the car. Has any body else had a problem with the jack?

Submitted: 2010-07-20 | ID: 39592

Jim Cole, Bridgend

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2010

The majority of reviews appear to be based around poor fuel consumption, my new Fiesta has now completed 2000 miles, mostly of journeys under 30 miles either in cities or the South Wales valleys,and so far has averaged 47.8 mpg. If, as is suggested, the fuel consumption will improve as the engine beds in, then I am very pleased. A vast improvement over previous Fiestas. Ford have at last given this model the refinement it deserves.

Submitted: 2010-07-04 | ID: 39429

Karen Clarke, London

Ford Fiesta 1.6 petrol 2010

Purchased a brand new 1.6 petrol Titanium Fiesta last month. Very happy with everything about it, apart from the starting. It’s fine first thing in the morning as it starts just as I would expect it to but if I leave it an hour after and try to start then I have problems. It just about starts but sounds really really weak until I put my foot on the accelerator. Took it to Ford service last week who have put it on computer and started it during the course of the day and they say there is nothing wrong with it. I know there is as I have had 2 other Fiesta’s for 13 years and they both started perfectly well.

I have just bought a Ford Fiesta Titanium and have exactly the same problem. They have taken it in to look at it today. Have you had any luck in resolving your problem? - Sandra Hemley from Northamptonshire

I had the same problem when I bought mine. A year on and its fine. Just needs running in I think - Matthew Berry from England

AH! The ZERO REVs start problem which occurs generally on hot (above 20ºc) days on 1.6 petrol engines. Engine stuggles to run and tacho shows NO engine revs (you can count the firing strokes) and the ignition light is showing!!!!!!!!!! My first Fiesta was "sold" back to Ford at Christmas and I picked up the replacement in Feb when I got back to the UK. The replacement also exhibited the same problem in May. The number of times the first car had the INJECTOR RAIL AND INJECTORS replaced was 3 times. The current car now has "Mark 2" injectors and rail fitted - RC John from Lincolnshire

Re-took my car back to Dagenham Motors in Walthamstow after the first visit. Fully explained the problem again to them. They brought it back to me that evening having used all my petrol and had obviously used the car as a run-around as I had an extra 40 miles on the clock and said they could not find anything wrong and it had been on the computer. They also said they think I am turning the key too quickly and that I have to wait until all the dash symbols have gone. I was livid with them for the fact they didn’t need to take my car on a 40 mile trip but just needed to keep car in garage and switch on 40 minutes or so later. Then took the car to Gates who have said I should mention it when it comes in for first service and that it’s garbage what Dagenham Motors said about turning key on quickly - maybe for a diesel engine but not petrol. It is exactly as the other person has said that it happens in warm temperatures so at the moment in October it is not happening. I will also keep a camera in car to take picture of oil and battery dash light on and no revs. Then maybe someone will believe me! - Karen Clarke from London

Submitted: 2010-06-28 | ID: 39430

Peter Taft, Shropshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2003

Now 8300 miles with an average of 42 mpg mixed undemanding driving. No large bills with servicing every 12 months. Has developed a transmission whine in all gears that does not appear to be a wheel bearing. Rather harsh suspension but steers like a dream. Reliable starting in all weathers and kept outside.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-25 | ID: 39436

Paul Fuller, Norfolk

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2006

Dodgy set of reviews here. I’m just about to replace my 56 1.25 for a 2009 Style+. I had an 04 model first and they have both been driving school cars, without any problems except a battery change on the 56. And I’m concerned about the amount of prostective faults I’m possibly about to encounter. Time will tell  but with reliability and fuel consumption major factors I’m beginning to wonder.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-06-25 | ID: 39435

Jane Williams, Somerset

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2009

I took delivery of my fiesta a week ago - 4,000 miles on the clock - and am very pleased with the way it drives. However I find that the noise generated by the Continental Premium Contact 2 tyres is making my ears hurt. Apart from the road rumble which I would find acceptable there is also a constant hum, rather like the horns at the current world cup. Today I took it back to the dealer and they have changed the rears to the front but I already kow that there is no improvement. I am hoping that they will agree to exchange these tyres for a set of Hankooks from one of their demonstrators but feel that they don’t really believe my problem. My ears are still hurting from my 12 mile journey home from work - 2 hours ago. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Is there a solution?

I know this is an old review but I have the same problem. Have you or anyone else cured this sound? - from Lancashire

Same noise coming from tyres must be a common fault, thought it was wheel bearing at first - from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2010-06-21 | ID: 39437

John Clavery, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 2008

Had this car since new at the end of 2008 and generally it has been good, but the last 6 months have been a little different with a variety of problems such as the paint not looking as if it is wearing well, also seems to chip very easily. And with only 12000 miles on the clock the water pump failed, Ford did replace it with no cost to me. Dissapointing for such a new car.

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 39441

Donald Stephens, England

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Zetec 2009

I bought a Corsa 1.4 Design and had problems with it from day one. Took it back to Vauxhall who took 18 months to fix the fault with it. So I bought a new Ford Fiesta the 1.4 TDCi Zetec. Yes, I lost a couple of things like auto lights, wipers etc... but I prefer the Fiesta so much more to the Corsa. I also prefer Ford’s customer service to Vauxhall’s. It’s an all-round winner.

Submitted: 2010-06-17 | ID: 39440

Trevor Bamford, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta Silver 2004

It is a used model and it rides on 195/45 tyres, which is VERY firm but still a good city/medium trip car.

Submitted: 2010-06-10 | ID: 39442

Sophie Phillips-Levy, Cyprus

Ford Fiesta 1.6 2005

I bought my car 2yrs ago second hand, it had just been shipped over to Cyprus from the UK. At first there were no problems but then I got the EAC fault flashing, also loss of power so I took it in the the local electronics shop and had a diagnostics test (60.00 euro), they just said it was a dirty sensor. Then I was driving about one day and she (my car) was fine, popped into a shop and when I came out 5 mins later she wouldn’t start, the battery had just died on me so I had to get a new one (95.00 euro). I then had to get a new coil (200.00 euro) and the spark plugs (25.00 euro)!! It’s only the second car I’ve had since I started, driving 3yrs ago but we’ve bonded well, she’s a fantastic little race car aswell people dont realise how quick it is. It’s also fantastic for picking people up from the airport!! LOVE MY FF TO BITS AND THERE’S NO WAY I’LL CHANGE HER FOR ANYTHING ELSE!! well maybe a Honda s2000 or BMW x6!! =)<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-18 | ID: 39445

Chris Black, Northamptonshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Titanium petrol 2009

Have had this car for 6 months and it has been in 5 times to the dealer with gear crunching and refusing to properly select reverse (since new). The car has had a new clutch at 900 miles and another second clutch at 3000 miles. Dealer has replaced selector forks on gearbox but it still crunches and grates intermittently (about every 6th time) when selecting reverse. Dealer has informed me that this is the design of the gearbox (no syncho) and all Fiestas ("and BMW Minis!!") have this issue. Think I have a worse gearbox than most because I can’t see all Fiesta owners just "putting up" with this reverse issue?? Fuel consumption is also disappointing; 35mpg compared to quoted consumption. Such a pity that a cheap gearbox has ruined an otherwise excellent car - sort it out Ford!!!!

I bought a Fiesta semi automatic 4 months ago (2005 model). When I put on reverse gear, the gearbox problem signal comes on the dash. Quickly it started to get stuck on either 1st or on 2nd gear. I took it to Fareham Ford garage, they said I needed to change gearshift lever and clutch accutator assembly costing nearly 2000 pounds. Unfortunately the car is not starting at all after their dignostic test. Has anyone experienced similar problems? I understand that it is a common problem for semi automatic fiestas. Can anyone help me with this? - Byju Mani from Hampshire

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 39443

David, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Titanium Manual 2009

Superb car! Looks excellent and far more swish than any previous Fiesta. Very efficient on fuel. I often get 63 mpg and last trip from London I kept to 60ish and got 72.5mpg! The mirrors look too small but set just right and you can see everything in your blind spots including stuff in the 3rd lane on the Motorway. The ride is comfortable but very sporty. It helps that the car is relatively light. It’s a nice place to sit with the dash looking more interesting than a lot of others. My left leg appreciates the light clutch and my right the cruise control. Only one gripe. The literature had me believing there would be a USB port for mp3s. It comes as part of a £200 extra! There’s already a 3.5mm jack there and a USB port would have cost ford about £1 to put next to that. Probably the decision of the person who decided to charge more for green after they realised it was popular. Tight! I read Ford drove the equivalent of around the planet perfecting the steering. You can tell.

Submitted: 2010-04-25 | ID: 39446

Lianne Crossway, Berkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 2007

Also had 2 expensive repairs. At 40,000 miles cambelt failure - just under £1,000, in Feb 2010. In April 2010 clutch failure, another £650. Cambelt recommended change 100k or 10 years. Ford told me ’very unusual to go this early’ but offered no compensation. Car to be repaired and traded in pronto! Previously owned 2 Ford Orion’s and a Capri - would not buy another Ford.

Buy anouther Capri - from England

Submitted: 2010-04-16 | ID: 39452

David Patchett, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6 2009

New in Sep 2009. Some noise in dash, found to be dash and side trim rubbing together once interior got hot, solved by inserting a strip of thin rubber inbetween. Also paint peeling off inside of front bumper, told by paint shop manager "Your not the first and won’t be the last", when I booked it in. Otherwise a cracking little car, certainly the best Fiesta I have owned.

Hello, can you tell me exactly where this is in car as I think I have the same problem and it’s doing my head in. Thanks. - Matthew smith from Fife and Kinross Shires

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 39454

Rebekah, Oxfordshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2010

I’ve just bought a brand new Fiesta Zetec on a 2010 plate. 5 days after ownership the centre console stopped working so that I couldn’t use any of the functions. I took it to a local dealer who ’reset’ the system. Next day - same thing happened, it froze and the green cog symbol appeared (which in the book means the settings). Most annoying. I now have to book it in to be looked at again. I’m wondering if its the car at fault or my iPod thats fudging it up? Has this happened to anyone else?

I have just bought a new Ford Fiesta Zetec, as soon as I tried to use the USB system, the car drained it’s battery and I had to have roadside rescue. I now understand that it is a known fault and a software update is necessary. The software update is not yet available!!! Should not Ford have done something about this known problem? - from Dorset

The software update for the Bluetooth system is now available. I’ve just had mine done (Jan 2011) - Nick Thorne from England

Submitted: 2010-04-15 | ID: 39456

John Dennison, Durham

Ford Fiesta 1.4 AUTOMATIC TITANIUM 2009

Super car except for the standard complaint, fuel consumption dreadful. I am 75 years of age so obviously I am not a speed merchant, 36 miles per gallon. I part exchanged my 1.6 Honda Civic for the Fiesta and was getting about 10 miles more per gallon out of the civic. I realise that automatics use more fuel but come on Ford, 36 mpg out of a 1.4, could this be improved?

Update: Unbelievable,I contacted Ford UK and complained about the appalling fuel consumption on my 1.4 Fiesta automatic. I had a telephone call from a gentleman at Ford insisting that he was totally unaware that Fiesta owners were unhappy about this situation, I told him that he should read the complaints you get to the contrary.....as I said UNBELIEVABLE - John Dennison from Durham

Thank goodness someone else has reported this to Ford. Saying that, my 2011 Zetec with 2,041 miles on the clock does 33-35 mpg. I am a careful driver, traded my lovely Mazda 3 auto for this heap. What a mistake, the look of the thing lured me. The car has just returned from the garage where I demanded they check it for mpg. I was told it was ’perfect’ guy admitted that they had had other customers complaing re. mpg and Ford know! Trouble is, Ford don’t reply to letters or emails but I make sure I tell everyone about it. Huge, huge con. Never ever ever buy a Ford. I am sorry you too are suffering - Hana James from Devon

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 39449

Henry Ford, United States of America

Ford Fiesta Ghia 2005

Absolute Belter. Drives great but a bit noisy over 80, had mine from new and not a problem in 68,000 miles, still on original clutch. Only things changed are regular servive items and tyres. Screen wash bottle a little on the small size but then again I tend to drive a lot on country roads so I use it lot. Thinking of swapping it for a new one but a little reluctant to let this one go.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-04 | ID: 39448

Amanda Savage, England

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.4 2005

Had the car for a week & so far so good. +ve = very nippy -ve = V poor fuel consumption, lots of ’taccy’ plastic pretending to be metal over the dashboard & no spare wheel as standard!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-03-28 | ID: 39447

Neil Breheney, Cornwall

Ford Fiesta 1.4 ghia 2007

The car handles great with good turn in and little trace of understeer; fun and reliable. The interior is reasonably comfortable with the leather seats providing both support under cornering and some comfort. This face lift model looks great and in this 5 door model offers reasonable legroom and practicality. The boot space is adequate but is a little on the small side. No problems with the car mechanically in 3 years and is a joy to drive. The 1.4 engine could be a little more torquey through gears but is nothing to complain about. The fuel comsumption could also be a little better, but if you’re careful with you driving, it will be good enough. Overall, the car looks great, handles well and is reasonably comfortable, however, the boot could be bigger, the fuel economy could also be improved and some of the trim could also be uprated but other than that, mine is a joy to own.

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39460

Adrian McNulty, County Fermanagh

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi 89 Zetec Plus 2009

Buying this car is the biggest mistake I made, I got it in October of 2009 and I’m having trouble already, the door handle came off on me when I pulled it and the power steering pump failed after 6 weeks, also the handle for sliding the seat back and foward does not work for some reason. I’m not impressed with it because it isn’t overally comforable and not that nice to drive. I had a Peugeot 207 SPORT HDI 110 before this and I wish I had never sold it. There was more equipment in the 207 and it was cheaper than the Fiesta when new, also it was far more comfortable to drive and it was better looking with the bold front end styling. Lastly the dashboard is poorly built with cheap plastics, it has developed an annoying rattle and the silver effect around the dash is flaking off in small pieces. My old 207 had a higher quality dash and everything in it was easier to reach and was it was much easier to make out and to see the buttons. I am going to change my Fiesta already for the new 207 because its really bugging me.

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39459

Peter, Nottinghamshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCI Zetec 2009

My last 3 cars were Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci’s and I was very pleased with all of them. Took delivery of this car March 2009. The car is very nice to drive but problem after problem. Oil leak on engine returned to garage 3 times. Blue smoke when starting first thing in the morning (none of my previous Fiesta, did that) If you lock the doors with the remote then try to open the door with the key (as if the battery had failed in the remote) then you nearly break the key you have to put that much pressure on it and ford say "We know they are stiff but acceptable" what rubbish. A known problem is the squeeky clutch pedal, remedy? Grease it; I suppose that will work until the warranty expires. Since they greased the pedal the clutch has now started to judder. I will be returing it for them to register that before the warranty expires. Same as everyone else fuel consumption nothing like what is advertised. When you turn the heater control to "windscreen" the air condition comes on, that is just great when the temperature outside is minus 2. The heater stays just warm not hot until you have done about 7 miles. I know this is a problem because they gave me a courtesy car once and it heated up in about a mile and a half. I have had this about 11 months now and although I like the car I am fed up with taking it back to the garage. All this and although I have had it 11 months it has only covered 4500 miles. I am looking at what to replace it with but not sure at the moment. Very disappointed.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-26 | ID: 39461

Diane, London

Ford Fiesta 2009

I purchased a 1.4 Zetec Fiesta on 16th January. 5 days later the power steering failed. Many phone calls to Ford Customer Services and the Dealership and have now been told the part to repair it will not be available until 22nd February. This leads me to question why there are no parts available? Is it because they have had so many similar faults they have utilised all the stock or are they having problems with the part and having to resolve this before producing a new batch? I have now told Ford that I am not accepting the vehicle back as it is not fit for purpose and insisting they supply me with a new vehicle. If you bought any other item that broke down after 5 days and they could not repair it for another month there would be no question that they would have to replace the item but Ford continue to think it is acceptable to provide me with a courtesy car and for me to wait until the car is repaired!

The new reg will be nearly out when your car is repaired, Ford should accept your rejection request, keep on at them. Maybe contact a solicitor, I had to years ago with my wife’s new Peugoet 106 and won - from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 39465

Geoff Witts, Kent

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6 TDCI 2009

I use this car for my driving school, my pupils find it very easy to drive. Just recently the seat belt warning light keeps chiming during lessons checked everything but cannot solve problem, any ideas out there? The funny thing is it dosen’t do it when I am driving? I agree with the poor fuel consumption, I’m getting around 47/48 mpg compared with 53/54 on old model, a much better car in my mind. I also dislike the silver dash board, too chavy by far.

My car did the same thing, and rather than going straight to the dealer with it I looked myself first. If you look carefully at the seat belt point between the seats, you will see a small wire coming out of it. It’s a tight squeeze, but if you get your hand in there and push the wire up a bit it may help your problem. If not there is a small box underneath the front of the seat, and the seats sensor wire goes into it . Just push on the wires, if it’s a loose connection this may help. Otherwise it’s the dealer I’m afraid, hope they’re better than mine! - David Fenn from Norfolk

Submitted: 2010-02-06 | ID: 39463

Lionel Agunyego, England

Ford Fiesta 2006

I have had my 06 fiesta since 07 and I think it’s a great car. I’ve never broken down, or had any engine problems with it so far. I don’t really hear any noise from the motor and it’s still a pretty smooth drive, it’s only recently that my clutch went and to be honest I have driven this car about like a boy racer and I have also lent it out to a number a friends over the years. I must say it’s well worth £7500 and it’s done its job but now it’s 4 years old, so I wouldn’t be surprised if it starts making noises and braking down on me all of a sudden, lol.

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 39462

Syd Taylor, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 3 Door 1.4 16v Duratec Auto. 96PS 2009

Question. What does this 3 Door Hatch have that others don’t? Answer. The ’blue oval’ on the bonnet that signifies Ford. And Ford, "As any fule no" (To quote the legendary Molesworth) is THE dependably progressive mass motor manufacturer of all time. As reassuring as belt and braces both and as enterprising as a dozen ’Dragons’ smoking away with hot ideas in their den to hatch forth trendsetting hatchbacks of prodigal style and variety. If you haven’t guessed by now..I’m IN! For generations now, Ford has been a byword in the trade for practical driveability, sensible economics and superlative motoring at all levels of performance from the prosaic potterings of the happy shopper to the roaring abandon of hot racing at its best. This is a company, which is both David and Goliath. For example, the legendary GT40 might only have been knee high to a grasshopper - but to its opposition it was as formidable as Everest. Time now to festoon the plaza, strike up the band, load the tables with goodies and ring all the bells to welcome the new Fiesta into the fold. Just in case you fear that your correspondent has been gorging with happy pills, let’s look at some no-nonsense, straight from the hip, plain talking facts. This is a car that’s not going to break the bank because of the purchase price (although for a car in this class £15,877 OTR is no bargain even though it is the top spec Titanium model) - but it might break a few hearts as your neighbours look on with envy and wish that they’d had the foresight to depend on the ever dependable. Here is a car that has got more extras than Ben Hur and - as the 3 Door 1.4 litre 16v Duratec 4 speed automatic - has enough horses (96) to put similar specified chariots to shame. Behind the wheel of this little wonder you will be forgiven for thinking that, with a twitch of an eyebrow, you could part the Red Sea - or at very least, find a parking space in Piccadilly. This car is ’full bore fun’ for everyone from the dashing young blade to the working mum. Nimble, smooth, quiet and refined; on the go in this Ford you’re not going to want the experience to stop. Seats are comfortable and supportive, even for the corpulent - and as a driver, the position at the wheel can be tailored to be nigh on perfect. Rear seat passengers are not cramped either, as testified to by ’Tiny’ - my rugby playing anthropoidal pal from the hills. Inside you’re greeted with attractive features made of functional and elegant materials and a composition of fine touches to put this model high up in the comfort line. The chic and stylish interior can only be described as ’tasteful’. Naturally you can tailor it to suit your fancy with the likes of a leather trimmed handbrake and premium velour mats. The range of colour and trim combination is so extensive that you might wonder if Ford has acquired the rights to all the rainbows in both hemispheres - and then borrowed a few more from Saturn. You personalise the colours so that it becomes your very own right from the word ’go’. In our eco-conscious age, you can feel reassured that while economy itself (I only achieved an overall figure of 31.8 mpg) isn’t going to save you a packet, the low CO2 emissions (154) might help to save the planet. Not only that, but the new ’keyless’ refuelling system is going to save you valuable time by sparing you the hassle of fiddling with a recalcitrant filler cap - a procedure that has become quite a hobby these days. Just look around at any filling station and see what I mean. If any curious acquaintance demands to know ’What are they like?’ in reference to this car, then you have to tell them that words aren’t really enough - you have to be behind the wheel. It’s quite simply a delight to drive whether pottering along or exploring the outer edges of the performance envelope which isn’t wildly exciting (about 105mph top speed) - but certainly enough for most needs these days. The handling and ride, however, are remarkably good, and should you wish to drive like a demon through bends you’ll remain safe and secure with no nasty moments because it’s a driver’s delight; fluid and rewarding A responsive and willing engine, linked to only a four speed automatic, means that ’sedate’ is the order of the day. This version is the one in which to sit back and relax and enjoy the qualities of refinement that are there in abundance. Everybody has their own ideas of what the ideal small car should offer these days, and the new Fiesta, with its indomitable charm, seems to be the solution that embraces them all.

Couldn’t Ford afford an advert down the side like everyone else? - David Fenn from Norfolk

Submitted: 2010-01-25 | ID: 39473

Eric C, Surrey

Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCI 2006

65K and had enough really. Great little car, but just too many issues and poor Ford service just continues year after year. Oil leaks from sump gasket - replaced - worse than before, oil leaks from engine block meaning new cam belt and engine rebuild, started leaking again 5k later (all warranty luckily). Slipping clutch sound, it’s fine says ford. Out of warranty 3 months ago so this week, exhaust fume smell into cabin, ticking from cold, injector seal/s gone. Supposedly the injector seal is a fairly common issue. Poor quality parts in first place. Unfortunately the injector in question is stuck in the head. Also not unknown as per Ford technician. So far just to replace 1 seal (a copper washer) and a few pipes (2 hours work max) the bill is up to £500 + as they need to remove the head completely. 4 days and still no car. Oh fuel consuption...I think I managed 57mpg once with the wind behind, down hill being towed by a bus!! Time for a change, not a Ford though. After 3 in a row I have learnt my lesson.

Hi, I’m having problems with my 1,25 zetec s 1998 model. The sump was removed to replace the piston rings and now it won’t seal, I have tried evarything new gasket and all different kinds of sealers, even tried the old gasket again, can you please tell me how you solved your sump gasket leak? PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE. Thanks in advance for any help I’m given. I’m at my witsend. EMAIL: j.a.e.wilson@hotmail.co.uk PHONE: 07596406748 P.S I have car booked in for MOT this monday but may have to cancel if I dont figure this out so any help would be greatly appreciated - James Wilson from West Lothian (Linlithgowshire)

Submitted: 2010-01-21 | ID: 39471

Sean Cheung, Rhondda Cynon Taff

Ford Fiesta 2008

Hey guys, I’ve got a 58 plate Fiesta Zetec Climate. It’s done 14k miles so far and it’s been a great car until recently I noticed that when I turn the steering wheel left/right while parking and doing a U-turn or just driving around a corner (without the indicator stalk on) I hear a quiet click/pop noise behind the steering wheel (in the steering wheel column). It sounds like a plasticky click/pop noise like a cable or something is lose within the steering column. It only happens sometimes and is not constant. I took the plastic steering wheel column surrounds off to check if anything was loose but everything seemed normal. I think the noise is coming from the steering wheel joint (bearing) or in the airbag, it doesn’t affect the steering wheel or the stalks, the horn works etc it just makes an annoying plasticky quiet click/pop noise. Any advice/ help on this? Anyone else had this noise too?

The symptoms you describe are exactly the same as I get with my 1.4 58 Titanium! It sounds like it could be a bolt not fastened properly on the suspension arm or other steering linkage - Tom West from England

I also have this problem but only when you move the steering wheel to a higher position. When it is at its lowest there is no noise, hope this helps - S Dani from England

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 39468

John McFarland, Durham

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 5dr 2009

Have owned the car for 6 weeks now and overall it is a decent motor. My main gripe is the same as just about everyone else`s on this site - the pitiful fuel consumption. I am lucky if i get 40 mpg at any time and these figures fall well short of the figures claimed by Ford, so with that in mind I contacted Ford directly and was told that these figures are made up from tests done in a lab of all places and that the actual consumption may differ to the published figures YOU DON`T SAY... The only other thing I can see is that the range you have in your tank, once the reserve light comes on is very inaccurate - do not trust it. I did and narrowly avoided breaking down due to lack of fuel. So to sum up: the car is an improvement on the older versions but there seems to be a pattern developing with the faults that occuring. My advice is, yes, buy a Fiesta but question your dealer well about what will be covered in the warranty.

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 39467

Colin Harris, Leicestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2009

I bought a Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec to replace the Toyota Yaris 1.3 T3 I had owned for 5 years & 28,000 miles. I have always monitored my fuel consumption and achieved about 49.5 MPG overall. In my new Fiesta (same driving style, same petrol, same journeys) I have achieved only 39.8 MPG over its first 2,000 miles. The car is fine although a bit sluggish, but the MPG is a great let down. The official MPG figures for my 2004 Yaris and this 2009 Fiesta are very similar yet I am getting about 20% less than I used to. I suspect that Ford have been less than honest on these figures and have emailed customer services with my suspicions. That was over a month ago and I still await a reply! Where the 60.1 MPG extra urban figure comes from I can’t contemplate - perhaps down a steep hill with a following wind? Ford should not be allowed to get away with these fairy stories.

I have got to agree with you about Fords over zeolous fuel consumption mate, it’s c**p. Bet they haven’t got back to you yet? Appears the test was done in lab conditions..duh. My next car funnily enough is a Fiesta or a y<br />Yaris, leaning more to the latter at mo, sent off for brochures. Good luck with your motor and keep on at ’em - Clive Whitham crwhitham@hotmail.co.uk from Derbyshire

I have a 2010 Fiesta 1.25 5dr Zetec which has now covered only 500 miles, as regards the comments regarding fuel consumption and the response that it will "Improve with time", then if it does I shall be delighted as I am averaging 48 mpg only driving locally for the two weeks since purchase. Possibly driving style has something to do with it! - Jim Cole from Bridgend

Thanks for your comments on fuel consumption, I have been worried about my car being faulty as I have never got anywhere near the 60 mile per gallon claim. I too was told that it’s based on lab tests and not reallity (so its b******s). However, I have noticed that if you only drive at about 55-60 mile an hour you can get about 50 mpg rather than about 40 at 70 miles per hour. Saves about 10 litres for every extra hour spent travelling, but you feel conned. Anyway thanks for putting my mind to rest! - Pete B from Berkshire

You will get a standard letter blaming you on how you drive. once you get this you need to reply ASAP. Ford Customer service generally believe that after they send out this letter they will not a reply from 75%. Iam still waiting my second response. I got the 1.4 TDCi and get 25% less than they quote, but it’s the smae engine in the 207 and theirs more or less matches the brochue - Nick Smith from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 39476

M Smith, Essex

Ford Fiesta TITANIUM 1.6 2009

The steering is over-sensitive, especially at slow speeds, there is no engine temperature gauge, the rear seats do not fold flat enough, the car is easily buffeted on motorways on windy days, fuel consumption could be better, is there really 120HP under the bonnet? Mine just broke down and had to be recovered by the AA and taken to the local dealer, just conked out and won’t start!!

I recently bought one of these... if it "conked out" and wouldn’t start....what was the reason? - from Bedfordshire

I echo the comments made by this poster. I’ve had the car three weeks. It’s a nice little car but fuel consumption is atrocious. My old car was an X type diesel 2.0 litre - used to get average of 44 mpg on urban. With the Fiesta, I’m getting around 34 mpg. Crazy! I also think the steering is too light at times, and you really do get buffeted about the road like a toy on a windy day. Very disappointing - Sue Pattie from England

What, no temp gauge on a titanium? I don’t think so! - Trevor Bamford from Lancashire

I bought a 2011 1.6tdci Fiesta Tit in March 2013 to replace a 2007 Focus that died with immobiliser problems. Unpredictable throttle especially at low speeds with flat spots all the way up through the gears. Took it back to Lifestyle Ford who merely changed a fuel filter under warranty. If anything problem is now worse. Much of the dashboard consists of a central protruding wedge peppered with little shirt buttons. Irrelevent outside temperature gauge and NO engine temperature gauge. Heater controls are fiddly and out of driver’s peripheral vision tucked low down under the ’wedge’. Auto wipe works unpredictably, sometimes for no reason at all. Auto dimming rearview mirror is inadequate especially against boss-eyed/cross-eyed headlights. Will abandon for something more basic and conventional once I no longer have to visit sick parent in hospital each day. It won’t be a Ford - from Kent

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 39481

Paul Wilson, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci Zetec Climate 2007

I bought this car in Jan 09 from a main dealer,it had just turned 3 yrs old and had 21k on the clock. I had to take it back because the alloy wheels were so damaged they caused a severe wobble even though it had just had its first MOT (by them) before I drove it away. Also the glove box hinge was broken and had to be replaced. Since then the fan belt keeps slipping despite being tightened twice, and there are loads of rattles in the car from the cheap plastic design used. The alternator is noisy and as the 3 yr warranty was about to run out they wouldn’t investigate further because of the cost. I am disappinted with the MPG as i only get 54 - 55 MPG not the 60+ advertised, despite driving sensibly on long motorway journeys. I have purposely driven wel to see the max I can get. It drives well enough and holds the road but is noisey. Our other car is a Nissan Note, we get 60mpg+ and is much much quieter on the road. Theres more room inside and is a far better finish. My next car will definately be an upgarde to another Note. Ford have a long way to go to improve their standards for me to buy another Fiesta, I have no idea how it won the best supermini!

Submitted: 2010-01-03 | ID: 39475

Shaun Gibson, England

Ford Fiesta 1.4tdci 2009

Hi. I love my new Fiesta! But sadly today its started making a loud knocking noise from the engine! its only done 10k! anyone any ideas or have a fault like this? just a bit gutted, I only got it 2 days ago!

If you’re getting fumes in the cabin,then it sound like the injector seals - Duncan Macpherson from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 39511

Colin, Derbyshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 tdci Titanium 2009

I bought this car for my wife in November, it drives well and the build quality is excellent, the only down side is the fuel comsumption, it’s doing around 48mpg. My wife had a petrol 1.25 58 reg Fiesta new shape for 3 months, this was obtaining 39mpg but had no mid range power so we swopped it for the diesel plus £2,500.

Submitted: 2009-12-26 | ID: 39510

N Mann, Gloucestershire

Ford Fiesta 2009

Like other people I am unhappy with fuel consumption. Is this correct it takes a while to kick in, as this sounds rubbish to me? Happy with the rest of the car though. Can I get a refund I wonder?

I have now completed over 30000 miles in 13 months of ownership. I would say that the brakes are exceptional. My pupils always brake too hard!! I think it drives very well indeed. It is fun to drive although my previous Fiestas have arguably been better. Let downs on this car are 1 Boot warning light stays on intermittently 2 Cooling fan was faulty at 20000 miles. Ford said that it was normal that the radiator was extremely hot. The air conditioning failed to work and the car kept steaming up. Added to this the smell of burning rubber caused me to cancel several lessons until Ford accepted that there was indeed a problem. 3 The main reason why I am not getting another one to replace the current one, is that the fuel consumption for a 1.25 petrol has never been much over 35mpg even with me driving it. On one occasion it went down to low 30’s. 4 Having driven the Skoda Fabia and looked at the feedback on it on this website, I have already decided to go and buy one this Tuesday coming - Peter Devonshire from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-12-17 | ID: 39508

Ford Fiesta Style+ 2009

I Rejected a late 08 car due to all the problems: Doors jammed shut, duff engine, droning sound in the car at idle, stink from somewhere,etc., etc!! Got it swapped for a new one. Covered 12 miles in the replacement car and the gear linkage fell apart and onto the road and had to be pushed to the roadside by the AA. A temp repair was carried out. Rejected this car too. Unbelievable, 2 duff new Fiestas one after the other. I’ve got a Peugeot 207 now, no problems at all !!

Submitted: 2009-12-12 | ID: 39507

William Lewis, Torfaen

Ford Fiesta Tatainium 2009

A great little car, I love the feel and drive, BUT cannot stand or get used to the wing mirrors. They seem to have a left hand drive overtaking mirror fitted for a left hand drive car. Is this because we are not considered over here, only being a region of the great EU?

Submitted: 2009-12-11 | ID: 39506

Ian Fallowfield-Cooper, Sussex

Ford Fiesta ghia 1400 2003

I have had 2 expensive repairs following rusting of spark plugs despite regular servicing based on the mileage. Currently 33000 miles only. (5500m per year) This seems like a design fault. Two weeks ago it was undrivable so I called AA who towed it to my regular garage. They advised me to annually change the plugs(longlife) to avoid this problem in the future. So far this has cost me in excess of £ 350 for the two occasions this has happened. This surely is unacceptable? Your comments please as I am about to consider changing cars and have had only Fords in the past from 1962 Prefect, Anglia, 4 makes of Cortina, 2 sierras and 3 Fiestas.

Hi, I’m used to BMW but bought Ford Fiesta 03 plate to try and save some money, this error on my part as it has been costing me more. Mine was sluggish really bad I had the coil changed never fixed my problem it stopped raining and i stopped using my window wash and all was fine. It’s been raining again and I’m back to square one. Turns out if it is an early 2002-2003ish MK6 then they didnt come with rubber washers under the washer jets which means water tracks through the holes into where the spark plugs are. Some say if you install later washer jets which come with a seal it sorts it. Apparently you will notice the spark plugs and HT leads being damp when you replace it - Jennie S from England

I have seen spark plugs snapping in heads of Ford engines on many occasion and it has always been when Ford / Motorcraft plugs have been fitted. The cure is simple. Before you remove the old ones blow out all dirt from around plug and spray plus gas and leave to penetrate. DON’T use Ford plugs. Use bosch plugs and put copper grease on the threads. This problem is not confined to any particular car or engine but is more common if 16mm thread size plugs are fitted with the smaller hex size. I have even seen the problem on a 1970’s Fiesta - Kevin Cozens from Wales

I have had a lot of trouble with water in my door and engine it has cost me a great deal of money over the years, replacing spark plugs. The water keeps getting into them some how. It’s give me so much bother and cost a lot of cash - Marie Newton from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-12-10 | ID: 39502

John Bristol, England

Ford Fiesta Style 2009

After owning a Ford Sierra for about 20 years with no problems I have now traded it in on the scrappage deal this year. I decided to get a brand new Ford Fiesta Style 1.25 (82), I am now beginning to regret buying this 59 Reg Ford Fiesta. The petrol consumption on the Fiesta is only about 28-29mpg around town, my old 1.8 Sierra did 30mpg. The gearbox on the Fiesta clunks when you go in a forward gear and crunches when you try to go in reverse, I think they forgot to put the synchromesh in the gearbox on this new car? If you ever need to change a rear lightbulb you have to dismantle half the boot to take the whole light unit out just to get at the bulb assembly, it’s the same with the front headlamps you have to take the whole light unit out. I expect a lot of the new Fiesta owners will have to pay Ford mechanics to change the light bulbs for them "expensive". Overall I think it is a very disappointing car.

My Titanium 1.6 is suffering from the same reverse gear crunch! Are we an unfortunate minority that got the rubbish gearboxes or is everyone with a new Fiesta having this issue? My brother in law has a 1.4 and he has not experienced the reverse problem which leads me to believe not everyone is getting a rubbish gearbox? - Chris Black from Northamptonshire

Have you tried putting the car into 5th then into reverse? This works for most Fiestas with this problem - Jeff King from Essex

Changed headlamp bulb in 15 mins, 4 screws, job done - Robin Evans from Norfolk

I have had a 1.25 Ford Fiesta 2009 style since Christmas and although I do love this car, the fuel consumption is rubbish and I also have this reverse clutching problem. I took it back to the garage and they said they could not replicate the problem so would do nothing. It jumps out of gear when you raise your clutch and you have to hold it in place - Ann Elcock from Lincolnshire

Submitted: 2009-12-10 | ID: 39497

Andrew Baron, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 tdci 2009

On the whole I’m happy with the car but like so many reviews on here "Boot open" problem is driving me mad. Every time I get in the car and go to start the engine the boot pops open and I have to get out and slam the thing shut. I then have to drive the car with the doors locked for fear of it popping open again. It’s going into the dealer’s on Thursday so fingers crossed they sort it but the review’s I have read don’t fill me full of confidence.

I have a titanium Fiesta and had exactly the same fault kept saying boot open, so it went in to the dealer and they fixed the problem, all been fine ever since. Think its a common fault by what I have read! Good luck - Anne Cash from Buckinghamshire

Same here, I have a 58 plate and the display kept saying the boot was open when it was open or shut. I took into the dealer and it was fixed. Not had any problems since - Taha Taylor from Leicestershire

Hi, did they say what’s was wrong with the boot at all? I’m having the same problem but my local Ford is being funny about it, saying there’s no problem - Nils Pea from England

My 2009 Fiesta boot opens too when starting, does anyone know what the cause was or which dealer they used that fixed it please? The display only shows when the boot is actually open so no errors there. Will book car in under warranty but prefer to know of a dealer that has fixed the problem before as Alperton Ford (London) think its a short circuit somewhere and want the car for 2 days... any advice? Please help - Jean Walker from Berkshire

Regarding boot opening problems on my 2009 Fiesta which occured whilst starting the engine and driving along, first attempt by Alperton Ford replaced the latch and made it worse. Second attempt by SMC Ford in Slough solved the problem by replacing the switch, which I assume is next to the latch inside the tailgate / boot lid. All fixed free under warranty but car seems to have some marks and a small dent to the paintwork not previously there... THANKS SMC Ford! Car has been absolutely great apart from those issues, shame - Jean Walker from Berkshire

Submitted: 2009-12-03 | ID: 39486

Mike Broadbent, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta zetec s tdci 2009

I collected a 59 plate Fiesta Zetec s tdci with 17" alloys, body kit and privacy glass at the end of sept 2009. It’s been to the garage 3 times already. The first time was for an oil leak, they said the oil cooler was loose. The second time was for a bonnet respray and the third time was last week for another oil leak and what I thought was a turbo whine. The car now requires a complete new oil cooler and a full new gearbox. The car is back at home unable to be used. I am going to start rejection proceedings, never ever another Ford.

Submitted: 2009-11-30 | ID: 39492

Katherine Byrne, Northern Ireland

Ford Fiesta titanium 2009

I purchased my car in March and had a few little problems but was very happy with the car until I discovered water in my boot today. It is going into the dealer on Thursday. Has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?

See my reply a few reviews below. It turned out to be a faulty roof seam, which only leaked in wet and windy weather. This needs to be fixed by a bodyshop - from Norfolk

Hi Katherine, my wife bought an ’09 Fiesta last Sept, we discovered water in the boot well yesterday. After doing some investigation, we found that water was leaking, through the plastic insert on the roof left hand side of the car. Don’t know how they secure this moulding, it could just be glued. Anyway it’s going into the Ford garage for repair under warranty - Lyn Bettinson from Ceredigion

I had water in my boot it was the seal on the back window - Marie Newton from Lancashire

Submitted: 2009-11-24 | ID: 39493

Jill Smith, Nottinghamshire

Ford Fiesta 2009

This is an excellent car. I bought mine with the heated front screen, spare wheel, scuff plates amongst other things. It runs very well and I’m very pleased with the car. Well done Ford.

Submitted: 2009-11-12 | ID: 39523

Nicole Beaver, Sussex

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 2008

A surprisingly similar story to all the others. The sensors have been adjusted by Ford and are working (for the minute). The rust on the rear wiper has been covered by Ford (it’s still there, you just can’t see it). The noise from the gear box is a "normal gearbox sound" for a Ford (according to Ford’s Mechanic), it is only there if you do not depress the clutch. The car now judders just before the gears engage. The fuel efficiency is not what I would expect of a 1.4 l car. The paint scratches even if you lightly touch the vehicle (and this is the most expensive Hot Magenta paint). The door sil on the drivers side actually has a whole in it big enough for two of my fingers (but that does not bother Ford). Oh yes, the engine warning light came on after about 5 months of owning the vehicle following a lack lustre spell of about a month. Then there was spluttering and juddering and then the problem sorted itself. Ford then updated the engine software and said it was all fixed. So do you think I am happy? Shall we say its a nice looking vehicle and I got rid of it. Now getting a new VW instead. Ford? NEVER AGAIN

Submitted: 2009-11-02 | ID: 39524

William Masters, Berwickshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 2009

On behalf of my next door neighbour and his 2009 Fiesta Titanium. When the weather is really blustery, with driving rainv for some reason he has water on his back seats and boot space. We had the reply of "did you have the windows down a bit?", but the car was secure all around. Anybody any ideas?

I have the new 1.4 Fiesta Zetec. You have to give the tailgate a good hard push to make sure the door is closed properly, same with all doors as they are all air tight doors . To make sure the doors are closed properly on to the second catch, wind a window down slightly before closing it and it will close easier. Your friend probably is not making sure they are closed onto the second catch, they are probably only closed on safety catch. A light on dashboard tells if doors are not closed properly and make sure windows in rear are fully wound up. Also check all door aperture door seals are fitting properly. I guarantee this will cure your problem. This is an ex Ford panelbeater talking. Good luck - John Craig from Lothians

If the other answer doesn’t help. I have experienced water in the boot space, which was traced by the dealers bodyshop to the roof seams. Which they fixed. The bodyshop manager also mentioned to me that they had a Fiesta in with very wet rear seats. This was also traced to a faulty roof seam. So it may be worth having the dealers bodyshop look at it, if you can persuade them to of course! - from Norfolk

I have 59 1.4 Zetec. Boot filled with water and passenger side floor soaking wet. Going into the garage next week to ( hopefully ) put right. Note: The doors and boot were all properly closed. Although I bought the car in March 09 I am told by the dealer it is not covered by warranty for this problem !! - Derek B Bushnall from England

Submitted: 2009-10-08 | ID: 39516

Alan Perkins, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta 2009

We have a 2009 Ford Fiesta Zetec bought in January. The car has recently broken down. The fuel range read 45 miles at the time. The AA found that the car had run out of fuel. The facts were all witnessed and recorded by the AA on its Breakdown Report. The dealer (Evans Halshaw) is unwilling to repair the vehicle because they say they don’t think anything is wrong. They have suggested verbally that we should fill up wth fuel before the car shows a range of 60 miles or less!! We consider that this is dangerous and we have therefore left the car with Evans Halshaw.

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 39521

David Hughes, Herefordshire

Ford Fiesta ST 2009

OK, buying an ST?? For 10 grand a nearly new example, I think the car is superb. You’re never going to get raw performance with a Fiesta, but the grip envelope is superb, with a decent driver in control, you can upset some serious cars in A and B road territory. I’ve owned the ST for almost 2 years and it never goes wrong! Fuel consumption is the right side of 35 MPG and it’s like a faithful terrier. I wouldn’t buy another one as I’m looking for a Focus RS in 2010, but by God, what an experience this car has been. Anyone looking for a dependable, inexpensive car with a lot of bite, look no further. Seats are great by the way, and stick with Zero Neros all the way. Grippier than an Amazonian tree frog dipped in superglue.

Submitted: 2009-10-07 | ID: 39520

Peter Thornton, Surrey

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 2009

I have had my Fiesta for 3 months now; - it is the first new vehicle I have ever bought that is completely faultless and has not needed any remedial attention from the dealer. The 1.4 engine is smooth, quiet, and surprisingly lively, and it’s steering, road holding, and comfort puts it in a class way ahead of the competition. The dealer included the audio/bluetooth package foc, which has resulted in one very satisfied owner.

Submitted: 2009-10-01 | ID: 39522

Joe, London

Ford Fiesta ECOmatic 1.6. 2009

I haven’t obtained the car yet and after reading your article on its reliability I think I will go for the new VW instead. Its a pity because it sounds like a nice car in all the blurb and hype. Spoilt by the quality of components and Fords inspectors not doing their job properly.

Sorry Joe of London but your review is just nonsensical. You haven’t road tested or owned a 2009 Fiesta so I’m not sure why you bothered posting and giving the car a low score. I also don’t know which build quality and reliabilty report you read but it certainly wasn’t Jack Carfrae’s because he praises the new Fiesta as ’much improved over Fiesta’s of old’. I hope you enjoy the new Volkswagen and post a more-informed review of that car - Bob Moody from Somerset

I agree, why write a report about a car that you haven’t even driven? It will be interesting for me as we have reserved a 2011 Fiesta in the states and I would like to compare my experiences with those of you across the pond - Eric Edwards from United States of America

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 39513

Shampa Dutta, Hertfordshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.4 TDCi 68 PS 5 door 2009

I was happy with the car because the road tax is low and the fuel consumption on this diesel model is very good. That was until last week when I had to stop the car in the middle of the road because of real dense smoke coming from the bonnet. When the AA looked at it, they stated that because I drove on the steep hill, mostly on the clutch, the clutch plate has worked hard and thus the smoke, but no need to replace the clutch. However when I took the car to the Ford dealer I bought it from, they suggested I have the clutch replaced at a cost of £462. As the car has only done 5,000+ miles, I hoped it was covered under warranty, but Ford is denying that. How can a car with 5,000 miles need a clutch replacement? I feel strongly that it was a faulty clutch and Ford should pay for a replacement.

You want to learn how to drive properly! - John Deeds from Devon

Agree with the guy from Devon. I had a VW Passat estate car, a 1.9 tdi and used it as a taxi. A lot of the roads in central Edinburgh are hilly and I (admittedly) used to ride the clutch myself in traffic queues on the hills. If it was smoking you would smell a burning smell and that is the start of the clutch losing its usefullness and advice on renewing was right - manufacturers do not cover for wear and tear so put this one down to experience as I had to do to and drive properly - John Craig from Lothians

Submitted: 2009-09-16 | ID: 39525

Anne Cash, Buckinghamshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 2009

I brought my Fiesta back in May 2009, and apart from having the common problem of the boot, having to slam it shut, but had it sorted out under warranty (has been fine ever since), it’s a superb car. The fuel consumption is very good, only fill up £30 for the tank and it drives so well. It’s very nippy and the steering is brilliant. All in all an excellent run around, Ford have really improved this car. I used to have a Vauxhall and can honestly say that my Ford drives so much better and feels safer. Very happy customer.

Hi Anne. I got the same prob, driving me mad. Got a 2010 plate 1.4tdi, going to repair on Tuesday, but they sounded like they didn’t know what I was talking about. Do you know what they actually did to fix your boot so it does not keep opening? Any info most appreciated. Kind regards, Clare Ledwith (clareledwith@hotmail.com) - Clare Ledwith from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2009-08-28 | ID: 39530

Bob Moody, Somerset

Ford Fiesta Style 2009

Bought a 09 Reg 3-door Fiesta Style in March and really like it. Not only does it look great but it also drives great. The ride and handling is excellent for a car this size and the speed-sensitive steering is a real noticeable bonus too. The only problem I had was the apparently common issue of an over-sensitive electronic boot latch where it kept saying boot open and needed a good slam shut to clear. Fortunately, this stopped happening after about 3 months - so although my Ford dealer said they would replace it under warranty, I didn’t actually need it replaced in the end. The peppy little 82 bhp 1.25 cc engine is nice and nippy too with just a little lag at the beginning of any foot-to-the-floor hard acceleration. Petrol consumption is fine as well. I am getting regular 46mpg with a mixture of motorway driving and to a lesser extent, town driving. I’ve also driven for another 75 miles after the fuel empty light came on and still had a couple of litres left in the 45 litre tank when I filled up again. It would definitely be better if the rear seats folded flat to make the boot space more versatile but I knew they didn’t before I bought it so can’t really complain. I also think that the silver plastic trim around the console looks a bit cheap but I can’t say the same about the installed sound system because it is excellent. All in all, a lovely car that I find a real pleasure to drive.

Keep your driver’s door window slightly open when closing tailgate, let some air in as these vehicles are air tight. Door will close easier and you will not have to slam tailgate (ex Ford body builder) - John Craig from Wales

Submitted: 2009-08-27 | ID: 39528

Mandy Bubbles, England

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.3 2009

I have had my Fiesta Zetec 1.25 for 5 weeks now... not good. Have done 1200 miles but spent £207!!! I’ve only been driving for a year but I seem to think this is not good!! I use to spend £70 a month in my old Fiesta 1.3 1997 plate. My average mile per gallon is currently saying 30 when it is suppose to be 49.8mpg, Ford told me it takes a while to "kick in" before I start getting my 49mpg. I do a lot of mixed driving, motorways etc... so I’m sure it is not my fault, also it is impossible to get the car into reverse without it making a crunching noise!!! Nice car but tooooo expensive to run.

Submitted: 2009-08-19 | ID: 39535

Sarah Cardiff, Cardiff

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium 2009

Brill little car, why is everyone whinging about fuel consumption? I had a 2.0 S-Max before this and spent £70 a week (300miles); now I only spend £30 a week and get around 300 miles out of the tank - brillant in my eyes. Although problems are there; the doors have to be slammed due to the high pressure in the car, keeping another door open or window open whilst shutting car has a better effect (not when locking I admit). Power folding mirror have just started to have a whinge on fold in so keeping an eye on them. Clutch release bearing is the problem with the noisey clutch. You will never get rid of it! I have the aux & bluetooth on the stereo which are now causing me probs but I’m going to re-set the stereo 1st before going back to the dealer, its less hassle, plus if you re-set the ipod as well that re-boots the system. Only real problem is the noise from the front tyres, whiring noise and now increased to a loud metal noise. I’ve had the tyres off, brakes cleaned and its still there. No idea what it is. Thankfully I have a trained Ford technician at home who has helped solved some probs & too can be stumped on what actually wrong. But generally its a little fab car, there are better cars out there that do cost a lot more I have to agree.

Submitted: 2009-08-17 | ID: 39536

Roger Kingdom, Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

Ford Fiesta 2009

Road noise is terrible on bad surfaces, especially on the motorway. I’m not sure if it’s just the Bridgestone tyres to blame I think it’s a combination of the tyres and the Fiesta. It can get so loud I’m pretty sure extended use would cause hearing damage.

You will get that on any bad road surface mate. Try and keep your windows up and your radio on until you get on to a smoother surface - John Craig from Lothians

I’ve had the same problem with very bad road noise. I think John Craig must work for Ford PR department. I’ve tried other makes and the road noise is a lot better then in a Ford - Roger Andrews from Somerset

Submitted: 2009-08-12 | ID: 39532

Anne Morfitt, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium 2009

Bought it in January; by February the seat belt warning sound started constantly bonging! Applying indicator cancelled it! Petrol consumption not good. In July knocking began on steering, new steering column fitted. It is now August and the steering has gone again!!!

If you have only had the car since Jan surely everything is covered by warranty? I understand where you are coming from though, its a lot of grief! - from London

Submitted: 2009-08-05 | ID: 39537

Amy T, England

Ford Fiesta Titanium 2009

I bought my new car back in March and had nothing but problems with it. Within 3 hours of having the car and filling up with fuel it leaked about 10 litres of disel everywhere. The AA had to come and fix it and it turned out to be a loose filler neck clip. Since then there has been a constant fuel leak every time it is filled up. I have taken it back to the garge 6 times, 4 of these times I was asked if I was filling it up correctly! I was not happy as they did not find the fault but it still kept leaking. The next time I took it in they had it for 3 days and said the fault had been rectified. This was not the case and my car has now been in the garage and classed as off road as they are wating for a new designed part. There is no release date for it. I have been told that there will be no compenstation for this, even though every time it is filled up I lose about 5 litres straight away. I do excessive miles and have to fill the car up about 3 times a week so this has cost me alot in fuel. All I want now is my car to be fixed and to have an apoligy. All I can say to the people who have the new Fiesta is to check after they have filled up that there is no fuel leaking from under the vehicle.

Hi Amy, I’m from Sydney Australia, and have had exactly the same problems that you have had. I’ve had the car six months, and it has been back to the dealer six times. In addition to the fuel leak under the car - which I was told was my fault for filling the car incorrectly (?) - there was a panel on the dash under the radio that would constantly come loose every time I went uphill or changed gear (without dropping the clutch thank you!). Unbelievable! For my first new car, I am definately not a happy customer. Have you had any further responses regarding the fuel leak? - from Sydney, Australia

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 39539

Robin Phelps, Gloucestershire

Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate 2008

Update on creaking doors: just booked car into dealer to have a look at the problem. I did manage to get service manager to have a quick look. He agreed it is unacceptable, which is a minor victory. We checked a few more Fiesta’s that were on the forecourt and began pressing the window frames where the rubber weather strip is. They all had a bit of inward movement but I was told that it is normal and in fairness, none of them sounded like a herd of frogs were trapped in the door - unlike my car. I await what happens next.

Smear a light bit of white vaseline around door aperature rubbers - no more creaking doors - John Craig from Lothians

Submitted: 2009-07-23 | ID: 39689

Peter Devonshire, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2009

Initially I was very pleased with the new Ford Fiesta 1.25 that I use to instruct pupils. My particular gripe with this car is that the fuel economy is a disappointing 34mpg and the rubber seals on the doors do not allow the door to be closed with a firm clunk like VWs that I have had before. The clutch squeaks when pressed down and the seats and upholstery has not worn that well. The previous model Fiesta that I had before was a better car and more fun to drive. I doubt that I would go for another one when the hire is up in six months time. By then I will be on around 40000 miles. Options that could be considered are the Yaris and Clio. Both drive nicely and exude quality---and economy.

The Clio exudes quality, rubbish! The Fiesta is the best driving car in its class and you lot are the few people that must have bought the initial launch stock of these vehicles. These issues are sorted know, you should probably change it for a fresh one; there are some great offers on at the moment after all - from England

Just like to say, I used to have a 1999 Clio and loved it, I now have a Yaris and hate it in every possible respect, the new clio gets good reviews, I am in the process of rejecting the Yaris and am contemplating getting a Fiesta. Will be watching these reviews with interest - from Bedfordshire

Just to provide an update. I agree that the Fiesta is a great driving car and my pupils love it. The fuel economy is dire as mentioned previously, and recently the cooling fan went wrong on it; something the local Ford dealership refused to initially accept. Symptoms were rubber smells, overheating, gurgling of water when stopping. Added to this the warning light came on and the air conditioning didn’t work. All in all a good car but spoiled with such faults. I hired the Renault Clio on holiday which was great. I have test driven the Skoda Fabia and the Hyundai i20 and have to say the Hyundai is something else. Superb to drive, cheap to buy and a 5 year warranty... and by the way reverse is easy to get which it isn’t on the Fiesta. I rest my case - Peter Devonshire from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39692

Robin Phelps, England

Ford Fiesta Zetec Climate 2008

I bought, from new (58 plate), a Fiesta Zetec Climate (5 door). I have just clocked 5K miles. The driver and passenger doors are creaking very badly at low speeds and my Ford main dealer’s answer was to put some kind of silicone on to the door seals. I am pleased to say that it is now worse than ever and sounds like Henry 8th’s four-poster bed - with all six wives on board! It’s driving me crazy. I fear this is going to be one of those back and forward to the dealer episodes and could lead to depression or worse. I’ve read similar on other forums and this problem seems to be prevalent on new Fords. You’d think Ford would read these forums and be proactive and fight to keep their customers in these ’difficult times’ but it’s probably a case of "they’ve had your money".

Submitted: 2009-07-22 | ID: 39691

Gemma Black, Essex

Ford Fiesta 2009

I got a new Ford Fiesta Titanium on Option plan and have had the car for a total of 6 months- in that time I have experienced problems with both the boot sensor as this rattles a lot where it has come loose and won’t close properly and I keep having to shut the drivers door forcedly so that it registers as shut. Overall I am very disappointed as I have been advised that 2 of the wheels need replacing due to them being slightly buckled, which is not down to me as I had not been in a pot holes or over anything to warrant that level of damage. The wheels seem to be crap as I had a 2001 VW Lupo and in all that time never had to replace a wheel. The average cost for a new wheel is £150 from the dealer and I think that this is disgusting having to pay out that sort of money as well as £260 per month for a new car. Fair enough if I went off roading in it!!!! However, can anyone advise if this is something I can take up with Ford? Thanks

By all means take it up with Ford. If that is unsuccessful contact your local Trading Standards Dept., and be prepared to go to the County Court to seek your remedy - Joe S from London

Ask for the zone technical rep to inspect your car when he is coming to the dealership on his visits. If no luck, ask him to put in a goodwill claim on your behalf. Ford don't like complaints and maybe they will help you out - John Craig from Lothians

We have a 2009 Titanium fitted with the X pack option (bigger alloys). Just been told the vibration is being caused by 2 buckled alloys and this is only after 1600 miles. Ford do not want to know about a claim and its £360 to replace the wheels - Brian Wyatt from Essex

Submitted: 2009-07-21 | ID: 39696

Nick Harwood, Suffolk

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 TDCI 2008

This is my first Ford (bought as a dealer, ex demo car - 6 months old). Previously, I’ve generally bought Citroen/Renault. Overall, I like the Fiesta: body shape, interior layout, general handling and visibility is great. On the down side, fuel economy is poor, as noted in a number of reviews posted here already. Ford use a Peugeot 1.6 HDI series diesel in the Fiesta and this engine’s fuel economy in similar, rival French cars, is significantly better: approx. 15-20% more mpg compared with my initial readings. I had an ECU software update (via Ford dealer) yesterday as a result of an engine management error and mpg is now 57-60; was previously 46-50. Door seals are a bit inflexible and this leads to door closure errors but it seems to be improving as the seals bed in. My local Ford dealer (John Grosse) has been very helpful in resolving issues. Overall, I think Ford has a great product but it is let down slightly by cheap plastics in the interior, poor rubber seals on doors and boot, and poor engine management software.

Hi, I also have the zetec S 1.6 TDCI and only get 49mpg. How did you get the ecu update? Did you just ask? And I’m also having a problem with the boot - it won’t open - what do you advise? - Mathew Banks from England

Submitted: 2009-07-17 | ID: 39686

Sue Garbett, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Style Plus 1.4 TDCI 2009

Car delivered 2nd Jan 2009. No antifreeze in washer bottle, blew fuses on operation, sat in car to check car over for about 30 mins seat material sagged. I weigh 9 stone!! Car returned to dealers 3rd Jan for fuse change charged £8. New seat material ordered. All doors and boot very difficult to shut. Seat height drops daily constantly, jacking seat up, must be my weight!! Paint extremely brittle (Squeeze Green), chips all over bonnet, sills anywhere a brick can hit it. Noisy inside sounds like a fuel pump running constantly. The rear folding seats could have been designed to actually fold flat very disappointing carrying capacity. Quite powerful, pulls well and will cruise at high speed. Done 9,000 miles ( 11/07/09) and engine malfunction lights and service indicator lit up. Service due at 12000. Drives better than Corsa 1.3 tdi but quality of Corsa better. Bought the car based on design, 1st Ford owned not sure if I would buy another. Overall only just about happy with the car and looking forward to the lease ending. Shame!!

Had to have my seat pad replaced as it kept dropping everytime I sat in it, moved the seat and it would drop whilst driving. Had it replaced under warranty as in the end it stopped adjusting all together! - from Cardiff

Submitted: 2009-07-14 | ID: 39684

Paul Newton, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta Style + 2009

Took receipt of a brand new fiesta on 30/06/09. On 01/07/09, whilst driving round a roundabout the electric power steering failed with no warning causing the steering to go from light to excessively heavy. I narrowly avoided accident. I feel I can not trust the car after this, and also, if this happens with no warning somebody may get killed.

Submitted: 2009-07-13 | ID: 39688

Stephen Craddock, Staffordshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 diesel titanium 2008

I bought the car din December 08 and the car itself is not bad; but for one overriding problem - tyre noise! The noise from the tyres really ruins what would otherwise be an enjoyable drive. I contacted the dealer and also Ford who both, after several visits, agreed the noise was indeed excessive and from the tyres. The dealers maintained that tyres were not a warranty item and that was the end of the matter for them. Ford suggested I replace the tyres but gave me no guarantee this would cure my problem. Has anybody else experienced this problem? I have also experienced the need to slam doors and boot lid as described by other reviewers.

Same car, same problem, same result. Very poor service from Ford - Roger Andrews from Somerset

My 2009 manufactured Fiesta has the same problem, I love the car but the in cabin noise is almost unbearable. I took it back to Ford who change the tyres for free (they gave me continentals but dont know what were originally on), they said that they believd this had solved the problem, however, as soon as I drove it out of the garage I realised that nothing had changed at all! The outside noise from other traffic etc., is really very quiet but the noise inside the cabin is a mixture of what I consider to be excessive but normal tyre noise plus some kind of unidentifiable drone, which had a low, deep(ish) metallic tone to it (Ford say this is tyre noise too but I am not convinced as that noise has been consistent and is still there even with the new tyres) - from Lancashire

I am so glad to hear that someone else is having the tyre ’noise’ problem! I recently bought a 2009 Fiesta 1.25 climate, tyre noise is awful, took it back to dealer, who changed all the tyres on it, which improved it slightly but there is another noise now! It sounds like I have left a back window open and it is the wind, also a low droning noise like the brakes are binding but I have had the wheels off and brakes checked. Every time I get into the car I am just waiting for the next noise! I am going to end up being very paranoid! - Fiona Hughes from Hebrides

Submitted: 2009-06-29 | ID: 39678

Philip McGarrick, Gloucestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Style+ 2009

Bought my wife a Style+ 5 door in May 09. Only done 500 miles so far so haven’t worked out the economy yet. On collection one of the rear doors wouldn’t open from the outside, but it would from the inside. Ford had ordered the relevant parts to fix this but fault cleared next time we tried it. Ford still changed the lock in case it was intermittent. The car came with no driver’s handbook. Ford say they will send one as soon as they are ready - 6 weeks later still no handbook! The car handles brilliantly; acceleration is excellent for a 1.25. The CD / MP3 player is also brilliant. The only thing I’ve noticed is there is a bit of acceleration lag if the air con is on. Overall a fantastic car, I like it so much I’ve ordered 1.6 Titanium with all the extras for myself which will be a 4 month wait from the time of ordering.

Submitted: 2009-06-26 | ID: 39677

Susan, Fife and Kinross Shires

Ford Fiesta 2009

Bought new Ford Fiesta Style in March 2009 only to find that repairs had been done before registration! NOT A VERY HAPPY BUNNY!!! Rear window shattered from inside car. I have been in touch with Ford - IT IS NO FAULT OF MINE. They say no defects regards window and I will have to claim from my insurance. Seeking advice from my solicitors. Anyone had any problems with windows?

Although not on a Ford, a friend of mine had a similar issue on a Skoda Octavia (went through windscreens like I drink beer!!!). His Skoda dealer would duly replace the windscreen each time (under warranty - in one case, the Skoda had been driven home from the dealer = 10 miles, after a replacement screen, only for it to break too on the way home !!). In the end, the dealer found a small weld spot on the windscreen surround that was causing a high-spot and subsequently cracking the windscreen when going over a pot-hole or bump. Removal of the weld sorted the problem. If it continues, insist that your dealer checks for errant welds on the bodywork around where the screen fits - Paul Mc from Somerset

Submitted: 2009-06-26 | ID: 39675

Tasha Taylor, Leicestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Style 2008

I was delighted when my car was delivered on 19th December 2008. I have had the car six months and have been back to the local Ford garage who have been very good. First problem, the RPM were going crazy when I turned the engine on and eventually I couldn’t drive the car. They found a problem with the throttle on the engine and had to be replaced. The car is going back in the garage next week next week due to many problems, the boot is closed and the display says it is open even though I know it it closed shut, so I have to slam it so hard to get to register, I have a pack on my car and the wing mirrors which fold in when the car is locked continue to make a grinding noise even when they are closed, I have to alter the seat position every day and it deflates but the best thing is where the CD player is the dash above has began to melt and all the paintwork has bubbled and flaking off. The guy at the garage thinks the CD player is faulty because my CD’s are really hot when I take them out. They think it is overheating causing the dash to melt and have told me not to play it! My local Ford have been great and have said they will take the car after all the repairs and do full overview to check the car out, fill the tank and give it a full valet! Even though with all these problems I still love the car but each time my confidence in it is getting less and less but Ford are being so cooperative. Thank god for warranty!

Submitted: 2009-06-11 | ID: 39669

Paul Davies, Swansea

Ford Fiesta Zetec 1.6TDCi 2009

I entirely endorse Amar’s comments on fuel consumption, I manage only 60mpg nursing the car on a long journey, and consider that Ford’s published figures of 78.5 extra urban impossible to achieve, even in artificial conditions of a flat road, no wind and cruising at a steady 55mph! I too bought this car partly because of the published fuel consumption figures. Otherwise I am very happy with the car, but would like to hold Ford to account for misleading advertising on fuel economy.

Don’t listen to these fuel consumption figures from the manufacturer’s. These figures are achieved while tesing on a track driving at a steady speed without stopping. In the real world you drive at different speeds, stop/start, changing gears etc... They don’t do this when testing. Anybody who gets the mileage they say you will get os telling porkies - John Craig from Lothians

That is exactly the point, I don’t believe ford’s fuel consumption figures can be achieved, even in theory on a track with a steady speed and no stopping, that’s why I wish to bring Ford to account for its published fuel consumption figures - Paul Davies from Swansea

My wife has a 1.6 TDCI and it only does 49mpg its been back to Ford and will be going back again, as it’s false advertising and I’ve heard of ECU updates for them. Regarding the MPG stated by the manufacturers, I have a Alfa 147 JTD 140bhp and does better than the Fiesta and does what the MPG the manufacture has stated it will do, so I think Ford need to sort this out - from Yorkshire

I’m busy researching reviews of the new Fiesta 1.6tdci as this is the option for my next company car. What I’d get re-imbursed for fuel is based on the manufacturers MPG figures less 10% for ’real world’ use, however what many people seem to be reporting is that they struggle to even get 50 mpg let alone the 60+ I need it to do! I currently average 53mpg overall in my Audi A3 1.9 tdi and at least that doesn’t have the cheap feel plastic like the Fiesta..... I’m not looking forward to changing my car! - Alan Harvey from Warwickshire

Submitted: 2009-06-10 | ID: 39670

Louise Clark, Essex

Ford Fiesta 2005

Just bought a second-hand Ghia - wow!

Yes it’s me. I am going to name mine ’KRONKORD’. It is on verge of me scrapping it, engine electric problems? 36,800 miles near as darn it, oil changed every 3 to 4k, it is a heap total rubbish - Ian Graham from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 39682

Chris W, Wiltshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCI 2008

The car is excellent but has been back to dealer five times since purchase for high pitched whine when engine revs are between 1500 & 2000 rpm. Dealer has at long last agreed with me that there is a problem, previously I was told that this is a characteristic of the car, not content with this I kept hassling them and eventually told them that I was not bringing the courtesy car back until the problem was sorted. Eight days later they told me the fuel pipes were the problem, you could feel the fuel pulsating through the pipes and this was causing the whine, a report was submitted to Ford and I have now been told the service manager is attending a Ford service forum on May 6th and will hopefully have a fix for the problem. They clearly know there is a problem so why try and deny it?

If only I had read this review before I bought my Fiesta. It’s been to the garage several times for the irritating whine; they said Ford know about the problem but it could take up to another six months to put right, its driving me nuts . I would advise anybody not to buy a Fiesta 1.4tdi - Paul Jackson from Derbyshire

Hello Chris, did you get this sorted? I have the same fault and am being told exactly the same as you 12 months later - Paul Morris from England

UPDATE to my post one year ago: There is a fix for the problem I had. My car had a modified fuel line bundle fitted approx. 1 month ago and the loud whine has now disappeared. Such a shame I had to hastle, write letters and in the end threaten legal action to get the problem rectified. Anyone else with this problem, there is a fix, do not take no for an answer - Chris W from Wiltshire

Mmmmmmm... Just been in for my 37,500 service and this was a recall issue they have done by replacing the fuel pipes. Nice of Ford to let everyone know... - Nick Smith from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2009-05-01 | ID: 39721

Sue Johnston, Kent

Ford Fiesta 1.25 (82) Style 3 door 2009

Purchased car Feb 2009. Model 1.25 (82) Style 3 door. Not very impressed at all with fuel consumption as averaging at 30mpg which is far less than my 2003 Fiesta 1.4. Interior is not very well finished and the rear seats do not fold down flat, despite being told by the dealership that they did. The inside appears to be much smaller than my old Fiesta and the front seats are not very easy to move when rear passengers need to get in or out. No problems with the engine yet, but all the doors and boot require a hard slam to shut properly. Performance not great, but handles the road well and the steering is very light. However would think twice about buying another one in the future.

Submitted: 2009-04-24 | ID: 39718

Mike, Dorset

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2008

I bought a 1.25 Zetec (new shape) in December 08. The day after buying it I had to take it back mainly due to the fuel consumption, which was showing to be poor on the distance to empty after filling up. Was told that Fiesta’s are not very economical and to give it a while to settle in?? The car since then has been in at least another 3 times for poor fuel economy. I have had the fuel sender & pump changed, and now it is worse. The technicians don’t seem to think that there is a problem with a Fiesta only doing 22 mpg!!! It’s going in again tomorrow, for that, and problems with the clutch/gears. Had the clutch spring oiled, but now its hard to get into reverse and grinds like a good ’un, and jumps out of reverse. Its hard to get into 1st & 2nd, and there’s a noise that stops when depressing the clutch pedal. It lacks power and there is hesitation. The wipers stopped working as did the washer jets, so had them sorted as well. The doors are hard to shut, and the warning lights come on even when they are shut. The rear lights do not line up, the alloys are soft. The wing mirror knob has broken and the dashboard has split (only a very small split). When I took it in to have the doors looked at, the service department said they tested them and there was nothing wrong!! The test they did was to open the windows slightly then close the doors, and as the doors closed properly then they said it was OK. How many people shut their doors lock their car and leave it with the windows open?? Honestly its mad!!! I put £10 in the other day, and it gave nearly half a tank full on the fuel gauge, but on distance to empty showed 58 miles to the half a tank full!!! As for the distance to empty, its sooo unreliable. Can be driving along and it will say 40 miles to empty, will drive a couple of miles and it will go down to 10 miles to empty. Then another few hundred yards and there are no miles to empty. The distance to empty goes up and down so much that I never know what fuel is in it!!! I am now getting really annoyed and will be having words with them. I have previously taken a nearly new car back to a dealer recently (not Ford) due to problems and demanded a full refund which they said I couldn’t have, but after finding out my rights, and 10 days of stress and hell with them I got it back in full. So if anyone not happy then a full refund can be got if stand your ground!!

My wife and I purchased a new Fiesta Zetec 1.4 in February 2009. We bought the car for our daughter who travels 50 miles each way to work on the A1 each day. On 9 October 2009 my daughter left home at 7.00am to travel to work. The Distance to Empty reading was 50 miles. She drove one mile from home and her car cut and stopped in the middle of a busy main road. After investigation by the AA, the car was found to be out of fuel (yes completely empty!) yet the Distance to Empty still read 45 miles and the fuel guage was not on empty. The AA told me that the AA has knowledge of this problem with Fiestsas and also that Ford is aware of this problem and that we should take the car back to the dealer for urgent repair. The car has gone back to the dealer (Evans Halshaw) which says it knows nothing about the problem. They say they have examined the fuel system but cannot find anything wrong. They simply want to return the car to my daughter without having repaired it at all. They suggest that in future she does not allow the Distance to Empty to go below 60 miles!! We have refused to accept the car because we consider it too dangerous to allow my daughter to drive 100 miles each day on a motorway, surrounded by 40 ton trucks, without any confidence in the fuel guage or computer. The dealer says that Ford has not received any other similar complaints - Alan Perkins from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2009-04-21 | ID: 39719

P, Surrey

Ford Fiesta Style + 2008

I’ve only had my car for nearly 3 weeks and I’ve not had and problems yet. I have noticed a slightly higher noise when car is started in neutral but this disappears as soon as you clutch down. I like the car and hopefully won’t get any problems like other people are getting, the problem nowadays is that car’s are too engineered with too many gadgets to go wrong. At least its under guarantee for 3 years.

Submitted: 2009-04-14 | ID: 39726

David Fenn, Norfolk

Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi Zetec 2008

Bought this car in December 2008, it then went back three times with water in the boot!. The spoiler hits the bodywork and the paint is coming off on the inside of it. The immobiliser light stays on sometimes when you start the car and you have to turn off and on again to clear it. The stereo occasionally has a mind of it’s own. Several annoying rattles and a creaking sound have appeared. The rear seat has started creaking when it has been sat in for a while. I too have to slam the boot to get it shut and have noted sharp and unfinished edges on the interior fit and finish. I drove a 1.25 Zetec 2008 model demo as a loan car and have also heard the terrible whine when the clutch is released. I have never bought a Ford before and was swayed by the looks and handling but after this I won’t be buying another one. Fuel economy is an underwhelming 50 mpg. Far short of what Ford are suggesting what you should get, my 2.2 Almera DCi did 47 mpg!

Hi David, my Ford Fiesta is at the dealers again for the third time for water leaking into the boot. This is my first brand new car experience and I will be researching better nextime - from Australia

Submitted: 2009-04-07 | ID: 39727

David Bearne, Somerset

Ford Fiesta 1.6 tdci Titanium 2008

Purchased this car in October 2008 and completed 12000 miles as a business user. Have similar problems with boot shut sensor but a firm shut does the trick. Had some initial fuel economy issues obtained about 54 mpg but this has improved with the miles now returns about 59 on mixed driving. Have achieved 64 so is improving. In all other respects the car is fantastic and a great drive.

Submitted: 2009-03-31 | ID: 39734

John Pugh, Worcestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2008

Just a quick update on noisy clutch/gearbox, now done over 1500 miles and the noise is no better, so took it back to my local dealer who again got in touch with Ford technical who advised them to try a different oil in the gearbox, this made no difference. So the car was booked in to have the gearbox dropped so they could have a look for any obvious faults. They found that the clutch release bearing was shot, this was replaced and the gearbox put back in. However this did not cure the problem, so they got back in touch with Ford technical who said it could be something to do with some green thing on 5th gear, at least that’s what I think he said, my mind was wandering by then, now I have to wait for them to get some parts in and then rebook it in. Will let you all know the outcome.

Submitted: 2009-03-30 | ID: 39735

K P, Cambridgeshire

Ford Fiesta Titanium 1.6 tdci 2008 2008

Owner since Oct 08. I too have problems with my Fiesta. My issues are 1. Sensors - the passenger door sensor showing open when not. Also the boot 2. Occasionally when I turn the engine on the alarm light does not extinguish and goes solid. My workaround on this is to turn the engine off and turn the key more slowly 3. I ordered the full dress up kit - my colour is Morello and the front and rear spoilers do not match the bodywork paint 4. The fuel economy is poor compared to my previous 2006 Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 tdci. Initially I was getting 48 mpg on my commute and and now 5 months on I am getting about 51 whereas before my Zetec S was giving me 59mpg. I did have a gearbox oil leak approx 3 weeks after purchase and that was sorted under the warranty. But as yet I have not seen the local dealer regarding my other issues. I have completed the marketing company’s questionnaire that was sent out and I hope that Ford take on board all the issues raised by their customers and acknowledge and address them sooner rather than later. If not I for one may look to other manufacturers for my next purchase.

Was your body kit fitted in the dealer? If it was there is your answer. Probably came in primer colour and dealership sprayed it in the paint shop. There are lots of variations in colours, I remember years ago there were about 15 shades of Arizona Gold. If it was painted in the car factory there should be no significant difference in colour. Car manufacturers use different paint suppliers i.e. ICI, Berger, Glasurit etc... And one batch of cars from the production line can be slightly different from the next batch, especially when the use different manufacturers paint. Maybe the painter mixed the colour incorrectly or maybe his spray gun technique was wrong - John Craig from Lothians

Submitted: 2009-03-23 | ID: 39731

Natalie, Berkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2008

To Paul from Yorkshire and others. Before I start I’d like to say our Ford is a really lovely little car without many of the issues described by others in their reviews. However ..... .... The car displays a whine from the gearbox/clutch when idling which disappears when the clutch is depressed (car not moving). Then, if you select 1st gear and rev the engine slightly there’s a terrible whine which corresponds in volume and pitch to the amount of revs applied. It gets worse; if you then drive off in 1st and have to slow down back to a halt (say in slow moving traffic), depressing the clutch just before you stop, there’s a terrible whine until the car physically stops moving. Again, pitch and volume consistent with engine revs. If you get into 2nd and allow the car to stop in 2nd (clutch depressed of course!) it’s the same. If you drop the gearbox into neutral while the car is moving the whine disappears straight away. So when engine is idling, car is stationary, no gear selected and clutch is out, there’s a whine. When moving, gear is selected, clutch is in or out, there’s a whine. When moving, gearbox in neutral, there’s no whine. It’s appears to have something to do with forward motion of the car. Paul from Yorkshire, is this consistent with your car’s behaviour? Many thanks.

Submitted: 2009-03-23 | ID: 39733

Paul Clancy, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 3 dr 2008

Bought new Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 3 dr, 01/03/09, for my daughter. Only 16 days old and noise coming from clutch/gearbox, only done 200 miles, will be back to Polar Ford this week.

Submitted: 2009-03-19 | ID: 39730

Stephen Rudge, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6TDCI Titanium 2008

I got my car at the end of November and initially it was great but then on came the driver door open warning going off in the car. This gradually got worse until, like Carol, my car would not lock. I then booked the car into the dealers where I bought it from. The fault diagnostics told them that the drivers side lock was faulty. After repeatedly trying to get spares from Ford for the car, after a week they had to strip down another car for the spares. This initially was OK until it all started again. Again the car went into the dealers for repair. I told them what had been happening and again they put it onto the diagnostics and this time they found a loose connection on a cable and changed a wiring loop in the car. Since then (2 weeks) I have not had a problem with the car. The jury is out at the moment on the car I hope it is the end of my problems as for Ford - no help at all. I cannot blame the dealer they are doing all they can.

Submitted: 2009-03-13 | ID: 39729

Peter Koth, Cumberland

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 2008

Had my Zetec petrol since November 2008 and have now clocked up 3,500 miles. MPG stuck on 37.2; not quite matching Ford’s claimed 47? Also, a rattle occurs, more so on a cold day, from the left door speaker. Also, had recent problems with the boot lid, which only shuts with a massive slam! Now fixed.

Submitted: 2009-03-06 | ID: 39705

Carol Jones, England

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium 2008

I AM SO FURIOUS!!! Got the car on the 27th of December 2008. 4 weeks later the message came up saying passenger door open. After slamming and slamming it would still not recognise the door was closed and therefore I was unable to lock my car in anyway. Ford told me "Oh it is because it is cold!!! The problem had resolved by the time I got it to Ford’s. However 2 weeks later this problem happened again. 4 days in a row. Ford put it on there diagnostic machine and said they were unable to find a fault, therefore unable to fix a problem they could not find. Now, 3 weeks after that, my car alarm went off and again says passenger door open and once again for 8 hours I was unable to secure my car. I am told that it appears to be an intermittent fault so unless I get it to them while it will not lock, they can not fix it. May I mention THE SALES OF GOODS ACT 1979. This car was delivered to me with this fault, they can not find the fault to fix, therefore this car is faulty and of unsatisfactory quality. I am bringing in legal advice. Imagine going away for the day, arriving and being unable to lock your car. Great day out. I have no faith in this car or in Ford’s. This is the first and last ford I will ever own. I am currently looking to see if I can reject the car. How dare they say it is the cold weather. Even if it is to do with that, it still means there is a fault. The height adjustment on the drivers seat deflates and I have to inflate it every other day and my god do you have to slam the boot. I should have gone to Vauxhall or stuck with Peugeot. Stiff gear change from 1st to 2nd. Did you know you are meant to have a special nozzle to fit the fuel tank in case you run out and need to use the little green tank to put fuel in. I am angry, and really disappointed.

Submitted: 2009-03-03 | ID: 39704

K Scothorn, Derbyshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Titanium 2008

Gorgeous looking car, but I have had nothing but problems with it from the first week of owning it. Not happy with the customer service care from Ford, as I have taken this into the dealer 3 times since buying it in November, and wasn’t even offered a courtesy car for my troubles... had to arrange for one from a garage which had nothing to do with the Ford ’after care’!!! I too have noticed a ’ticking’ noise coming from the engine when you press the accelerator, but yet it stops when the pedal is depressed! I have noticed a low knocking noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel. This happens on many an occasion, but is very particular when reversing the car first thing in the morning. I have also had to take it back into the garage to have a tinny rattling sound looked at coming from underneath the car at the front...especially more so when driving over speed humps. And finally, to top it all off, the windscreen wipers packed in!!! I truly am annoyed as it is a new car, and the dealers don’t really want to know about it when you take them in. I have had a new shocker and this had no effect on the noise. If I purchased a new TV or furniture from a shop and it was faulty, I would be offered a new one. Why should a car be any different? It’s obviously faulty and I understand there will be teething problems with a new model, but having to take the car back in on numerous occasions is just not on! I am that disheartened now, that I am not taking it into a dealer anymore, and I’m going to wait for the problems to get considerably worse, so when I do decide to take the car in, it will be a ’ball-ache’ for them because it will create much more work for them to repair in the long run. Thank goodness it’s under warranty!

Submitted: 2009-03-02 | ID: 39710

Ford Fiesta 2008

Update: My car has now been returned after spending 2 weeks in the workshop having the gearbox repaired. I was told the garage has changed the layshaft and that it has OK now. Sorry, but the gearbox whine is still there, nothing has altered. What a shame; a nice looking car that sounds like a electric milk float... I’m now thinking what to do next???

Submitted: 2009-02-27 | ID: 39709

Amar Majhu, Buckinghamshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 tdci 2008

Yes, the consumption is not good as the 2007 Fiesta. I have had diesels since 1982 and Fiesta models have been my last three. The 2007 Fiesta Diesel 1600 gave me 60-62 MPG on my normal driving commuting to work with economy in mind and this is as registered by the fuel computer in the car. The results were achieved as soon as the car was on the road with only 7 miles on the clock. This matched the figures specified by the Ford’s own specification. However, the new Fiesta even after doing 4400 miles is giving me 54 MPG on the same journeys and again with more economy in mind to try and get maximum MPGs. I expect at least 62 or more, and taking Fords specification I should be getting at least 65MPG. Fords spec for New Fiesta is 54.3 (Urban), 78.5 (Extra Urban) and 67.2 (Combined) in comparison with its predecessor 54.3 (Urban), 72.4 (Extra Urban) and 64.2 (Combined). One of the reasons for purchase of the New Fiesta was better MPGs, but I am disappointed. I have been to the dealership who say that they checked everything as required in its first 1500 courtesy check and all is OK. And also that the fuel computer could be inaccurate so don’t go by that- I fail to understand. I have also checked and calculated the MPGs on every fill up, this has been same as the fuel computer. I have tried to contact Ford’s customer relations and am going round in loops from their customer relations to Technical. By the way, going to technical on phone costs £1.00 a minute. I am thinking of taking some advice from consumer advise bureaus or trade descriptions offices. I would like to hear if any more drivers have the same experience.

I have just recently read your report on your Fiesta and I am having the same problems regarding the fuel consumption. My car is returning 20% less than what Ford say it should and I am trying to build enough evidence that they have misled people into buying their cars based on lies about the fuel consumption. Would you be prepared to back up my complaint that we have been given misleading information that has resulted in us buying a car which does not deliver the facts and figures quoted in their brochures? - Alan Gemmell from Ayrshire

I would like to say I totally agree with you. I brought my Fiesta in November 2008 mainly for the good fuel consumption that it was meant to come with, unfortunately I’m only getting 47mpg at between 70-75 sat on the motorway for fours at a time. After reading through some of these reports on here I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who purchased a new car that was built in a rush on a Friday afternoon. If you do or you have been in touch with the Consumer Advice Bureau’s then please let us know how you got on. Cheers - Paul Whatling from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-02-27 | ID: 39706

Dan, Essex

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Zetec 2008

I have had the new shape Fiesta since the 28th of Nov and I must say that everything has been fine with it. However, recently I have noticed that the gears are not smooth anymore, especially when I am changing from 2nd to 3rd. Also I find it difficult to get it into 1st gear and sometimes find myself having to keep going into neutral just to get it into 1st (not good when your at traffic lights). I contacted my dealer today and am going to arrange a date to bring it in as I am a bit annoyed with this. Oh, another thing, my steering seems to want to go off to left sometimes, so I will get them to check it out as well. Apart from that all is OK!

Submitted: 2009-02-26 | ID: 39711

Ford Fiesta 2008

Latest update.... Ford HAVE finally agreed that the whine from the gearbox is louder than normal and requires repair. The car has been in the workshop over a week now and I have been told the gearbox is under going repairs (why not just fit a new gearbox I say)... car should be back Thursday or Friday this week... Will it be any different? I will let you all know.

Submitted: 2009-02-18 | ID: 39712

Matthew Perry, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec S 1.6 tdci 2008

I’ve got a new shape 1.6TDCI and, after 4500 miles, it is by far the most disappointing car I’ve ever had. I bought it for its "good" fuel economy, however I get less than 46mpg at 70mph and only 48mpg at 60mph. I have been back to my dealer but all they said was "it takes time". I think it’s had long enough and it is not fit for purpose. There are loads of trim quality issues, the boot doesn’t shut properly, the passenger door doesn’t shut properly, the stereo often has no sound and I have to change to another source to get any output. There are sharp edges on the handbrake, the climate control buttons were defective (fixed under warranty). This is the 3rd brand new Ford I have had and unless something drastic happens, it will be my last.

Submitted: 2009-02-11 | ID: 39700

Ford Fiesta 2008

Return my Fiesta due to whining noise whilst idling and was told Fords are aware of the problems and suspect a fault on the 5th gear? Anyway the first check is the gearbox oil level, so this was checked and topped up... whining noise still the same. Getting back to the dealer to find out that is next on the list. I have registered a complaint with Fords customer relations on 0845 8411111 and have a fault number against the car, I suggest everyone with this fault do the same.

I am also having a steering problem, they have changed it 3 times already and it keeps coming back. I think I’m gonna lay a complaint as well - Ajay Nd from South Africa

Submitted: 2009-02-04 | ID: 39702

David, Warwickshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 tdci zetec s 2007

I agree with Melvin about most points. It’s a good car but occasional gripes can let it down. I struggle to find a really comfortable driving position. Town only mpg is dropping to 46 but I expect it to improve significantly on longer runs. As it’s the Zetec S it seems I can’t put a towbar on - why not, Ford?? My car came with auto wipers which I must admit I could do without - I certainly prefer to be able to make my own choice for a delay. You’re right about the rear seat, Melvin. Why do Ford not split the base so you can put one side completely flat?? This is a real pain. My old xr2i was much better - each side of the rear seat dropped flat and you didn’t even have to lift the base. Even my old MG Metro (did I have to mention that?) had a brilliant split fold rear seat. These apart I really like the car - I was looking at Mini Coopers when I decided to save money and buy the Fiesta instead and after a year although I look at Mini’s I reckon I saved a load of money buying the Fiesta. Most of the extras were included and for the same money; a Mini was nowhere near as good value. The cheap Car Tax helps as well...

Submitted: 2009-02-03 | ID: 39701

Les Harber, Monmouthshire

Ford Fiesta 2008

Reported the gearbox whine to Fords UK and sent the 2nd email of complaint to my local dealership. Had a phone call from the Dealership asking me to return the car as the possible fault on the 5th gear and may be caused by low oil level in the gearbox! Its going in Monday 2nd Feb 09, will let you know the out come. Yes I have to slam the tail gate to stop the alarm coming on. But I still love driving the car....

Submitted: 2009-01-28 | ID: 39717

Les Lees, Kent

Ford Fiesta 1.25 2002

I have had the Freestyle, for two and a half years now, bought it second hand at 24k miles, it now has coming up to 90k miles without a single problem. I change the oil regularly, as I do 100 miles per week day, (work) plus the weekend odds and ends, am on the second set of tyres, and had the cambelt changed after about a year. I couldn’t recommend this car highly enough, and yes the gearbox is a bit noisy in neutral, I thought it might be the start of a major problem but it hasn’t got any worse. In the summer (lights and wipers mostly off) I can get 500 mile per tank, in the winter it comes closer to 400 (at 55~60mph, you can half that mileage if you cane it). Goes like stink for a 1250, and holds the road like glue. Good CD player and for me, the buying point was the air con’. I’m seriously thinking of buying another one, as this car does what it says on the tin.

Submitted: 2009-01-23 | ID: 39715

Kayla House, Hampshire

Ford Fiesta Zetec 2008

Bought a gorgeous new shape green Fiesta in September but have just started to have problems with boot - you have to slam it down so hard otherwise the warning light comes on in the car and it’s a right pain when you have to pull over and check it’s not open. When you do its always closed, was told by the dealer you do have to slam it shut!!!!. Now have a problem with the fuel gauge, needle shows full,, but computer warning says 34 miles and a a petrol sign with a circle with a cross running through it. Phoned ford and told that its a problem they are now aware of so expect a recall at some point. I also find it takes ages to warm up in the morning, however I love it and am hoping its just teething problems.

Submitted: 2009-01-22 | ID: 39716

Ford Fiesta Ghia 2007

Re Fiesta Ghia 2007. Purchased new as mentioned before - I am still having problems with the clutch noise - the dealer offered to put in a new clutch under the warranty. This has just been done but the noise is no better, in fact it sounds louder. Re to John Pugh - if you get any more information would you let me know - regarding the mileage they have mentioned I have done 15000 miles so I think that your dealer is having you on - they told me the same when I bought the car This a bad fault with this model and the worst part about it is that Ford agree.

Submitted: 2009-01-19 | ID: 39714

John Pugh, Worcestershire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec 2008

What a disappointment this cars turned out to be. I agree with Gary Whittle about the whining clutch/gearbox, I took mine back to my local ford dealer who got in touch with Ford’s technical department and they were told that the noise "will be a lot better or even almost gone between 1200 and 1500 miles". So far the cars only 850 miles so I guess I will have to wait and see if it gets better. The fuel consumption is a depressing 29.4 mpg. OK, I do a lot of short journeys, 4 or 5 miles, most of it in heavy traffic, but my old car, a Rover 214 , returned 35 mpg on the same journey. I also find that the car takes ages to warm up, perhaps that’s why the fuel consumption is poor, I think I will pop into Ford and get the thermostat checked/replaced, by the way is it just me or do other owners find it strange that there’s no temperature gauge? I like to see where the needle is on the gauge as its an early warning indicator of cooling/overheating problems.

Submitted: 2009-01-09 | ID: 39713

Ford Fiesta Style +. 2008

Forgot to mention......both front seat cushions have saggy fabric to the point that they look worn out ...... 3 WEEK OLD CAR !!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted: 2008-12-22 | ID: 39666

Ford Fiesta Style +. 2008

Update ! Dealer says clutch and flywheel now replaced, however, clutch smell returned almost immediately. Also shudders when moving off and performance dropping off.....ABSOLUTE DISASTER of a car !!

Submitted: 2008-12-22 | ID: 39665

Tony Bufton, Shropshire

Ford Fiesta Style Climate 2008

I bought a 1.25 style climate in July. First of all it was OK with the fuel average around 42-45 mpg. Even 50 mpg on a long run. But recently my fuel range display has dropped from 409 miles down to 350miles, even when I have brim filled the tank. And my mpg on the last 3 fills has been down to 36mpg. Also the interior light switch has broken and the front passenger hand rail came out of it’s mounting when my son put his hand on it. Anyone else having these troubles? Especially the poor mpg?

Just read that bit on fuel display, mine did read approximately 480-490 when full... Mine went right down after a service so I took it back... Software udate picked it up and they say should of sorted it out. Um... not sure about that, there was half a tank before software update. When I took a look at the trip it said 94 miles then your walking... So I filled it right up thinking that might reset it, nope, it now tells me I can go 235.7 miles till I have to walk. Looking at what others have put on here I would say that there is a problem with the onboard computer but they do not want to admit it... - Nick Southam from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2008-12-15 | ID: 39663

Ford Fiesta 1.4TDCI 2008

Brand new Fiesta 1.4TDCI... just 10 days old. Flywheel AND clutch problems. Drivers door won’t open. Interior light not working. Door trim falling off. Apart from that probably ok!!!

Submitted: 2008-12-15 | ID: 39661

Chris Hawkins, Cornwall

Ford Fiesta 1.4 style 2006

One of the worse cars I have owned! Bought from new but very disappointed with the finish - lots of rattles from the poor plastic interior; the paint is soft and marks too easily - no customer care from Ford. I have just been charged £20 to drill a drain hole in drivers door as Ford did not put it in when made. I have no faith in Ford at all; even now they are saying they will refund the £20.

Submitted: 2008-12-15 | ID: 39662

Ford Fiesta 2008

Ford have brought the new Fiesta into the future with its style and comfort... BUT I am NOT happy with the whining noise whilst idling, it sounds like an electric milk float. I have taken the car back and was told," they are all like this"... Well I am not impressed and will be writing a letter of complaint this week.

Submitted: 2008-12-09 | ID: 39657

Mr Graham, Yorkshire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 auto 2005

Totally reliable. just fabulous. Ride is good and handles well.

The winter of 2009/10 changed things. The lambada sensor went and is on the blink? I had bosch coil fitted ok, new plugs twice. First went due to leaking wiper jets, the heater tubes from header tank went short on August 10. The large one went last Monday. It is 5 years old with 30,000 on the clock - Ian Graham from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2008-11-26 | ID: 39659

Melvin, Sussex

Ford Fiesta zetec 1.6 tdci 2008

Very pleased with this car. It’s like a diesel Puma estate! Handling is sublime on 16 inch wheels, I have to regularly remind myself I’m not in a sports car when pushing hard through bends. I chose a 3 door to get a coupe feel, with that the cabin is great fun to be in and has everything I could ever want, including bluetooth and USB. Engine is very smooth, torquey and quiet. Good for a long run but perfectly set up for nipping around town. Not that quick away from the lights but great torque for pulling out of bends and up hills without lots of cog swapping. Some reviewers are not so sure about the electric power steering but having also driven an earlier Fiesta recently I really like the new set up and think it is spot on. The only gripes are, I wish the engine was same spec as the Mini Cooper diesel with 110 bhp and a six speed box, perhaps more to come in the ST diesel version. Fixed back seat bench is also not so good. Overall a great looking, great fun car to drive that is practical and cheap to run. It makes the Mini look dated, cramped, impractical and very expensive. This car is the stuff of dreams.

Submitted: 2008-11-25 | ID: 39658

Ford Fiesta Ford Fiesta Ghia 2008 2007

Gary whittle of Lancashire - you are having the same trouble as I am. My car, which I purchased new has been to 3 different Ford dealers and they have all said the same - that this is a characteristic of the Fiesta clutch release bearing. Ford have stated that if changed the noise could be even worse. Let me know what your dealer has to say.

Submitted: 2008-11-05 | ID: 39668

Gary Whittle, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.25 zetec climate 2008

I bought my Fiesta 1.25 zetec on 1st October 2008. I had a Fiesta before that for 5 1/2 years - a 1.3 Duratec. This was a much quieter car. The new one suffers from a whining noise whilst idling. It also has a strange "ticking" noise, again at idling speed, but this disappears when the clutch is depressed!! Not impressed with it - taking it back to the dealer to check, although I’m not optimistic!

Submitted: 2008-10-20 | ID: 39667

Ford Fiesta 2007

Re David of Suffolk thanks for your comments regarding the gear box trouble I thought I was the only one with this problem and that the dealer’s were trying it on. All new Fiesta cars since 2006 according to the manufacture have had the gear box modified ???

Submitted: 2008-10-06 | ID: 39650

David, Suffolk

Ford Fiesta 1.25 Zetec Climate 2006

Like George Roberts from Lincolnshire, I also have a very noisy gearbox in neutral. It is worse when cold. It has been like it from day one, and has been back to the dealer on several occasions. I have also been told it is characteristic of the model, and that it is the clutch release bearing. I also find that 1st and 2nd gear whine, more of a howl, and with the wide section tyres roaring it is a very noisy car.

Submitted: 2008-10-02 | ID: 39655

Ford Fiesta 2007

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ghia Reference to my report of the 24Sept 08 concerning the excessive noise of the gear box when the car is idling. Once the car is in gear the noise disappears and all the dealers visited said it was a Characteristic with the Fiesta and that some are worse than others. Is there anyone out there who have the same problem?

I have a Fiesta style Climate 07 I purchased with 1000 miles on the clock.I’ve taken it back 4 times now as I’m not happy with the whining clutch when changing down. Also, the gearbox whisltles when in gear and on straight runs. Ford have told me there is nothing wrong. It’s due a service this month, which will cost 235 pounds. I think this is a rip off just to keep the warranty valid. I hope this helps - John Down from Devon

I have also had this problem. I have a fiesta 1.4 zetec climate, the car makes a whining noise when idle and an even louder noise wen reverseing, how would this be sorted? What has the dealerships stated about this? Is this a serious issue? Many thanks - Daniel Johnson from England

Submitted: 2008-09-25 | ID: 39652

Ford Fiesta 2007

Very disappointed with the gear box noise when idling. I have taken this back to 3 different garage’s they have all told me the same that this is a characteristic of the Fiesta car and that the noise in some is much worse than others. Apart from this the car is a lovely drive.

Submitted: 2008-09-24 | ID: 39651

Paul Hughes, Cheshire

Ford Fiesta 2005

I’m a driving instructor and have clocked up around 110,000 miles in this car, just about to change it. I bought the 1.6 diesel and pleased that I did. This has been the most reliable car I have owned so far with very little going wrong. The clutch lasted 97,000 miles. The fuel consumption ideal, I have nearly always got over 400 miles on a full tank of fuel and most of that is town driving. The performance is superb; this engine being hard to beat in its class. My negatives would be the gear box it is a bit notchey when putting it into 1st and reverse is a bit of a pain having to double the clutch to get it into at times but overall an excellent car with performance and economy to match. Would highly recommend.

Submitted: 2008-08-29 | ID: 39656

Sarah Holden, Clackmannanshire

Ford Fiesta 1.4 Ghia 2006

The 2006 Fiesta had undergone a face lift and is a good ride with impressive handling. This is possibly the best supermini available (although the Fiat 500 is extremely tempting...). Front and rear visibility are very good and it is a joy to park. The tyre noise is a negative though. This is a great first car, reasonably priced and fun to drive.

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 39648

Kirsty Nolan, Cheshire

Ford Fiesta 2008

Not much to look at but a nice comfortable car to drive. quite a lot of space front, back and in boot for all of your shopping!!! used to drive my mum’s older model fiesta and this one is a very big improvement. very quiet and does great on fuel. all around a very good little car.... not really very many minus points to it.

Submitted: 2008-04-24 | ID: 39649

Keith Atkins, Surrey

Ford Fiesta Zetec climate 1.6 TDCI 2005

The car is excellent to drive around town and is economical and reliable. The ride is harsh on bumpy roads but road holding is good. The 1.6 diesel gives a lot of torque (more than the 2.0ST) so is easy to drive and surprisingly quick. I test drove the 1.4 which I found sluggish. The negative points are the seats, I cannot get comfortable as the back slopes away from the shoulders. Also there is no space to put your left foot to the side of the pedal. Otherwise a fun car to own.

Submitted: 2008-03-26 | ID: 39647

Andy Tran, Aberdeenshire

Ford Fiesta 2.0 ST 2006

Cracking little car - drives like a go kart. Seriously needs a 6th gear as it revs highly in 5th at 70mph. I never got better than 30mpg from my ST, but it was excellent fun when putting your foot down.

Submitted: 2008-03-11 | ID: 39645

Jamie Hartle, England

Ford Fiesta Style, 5 Door 2005

The ford fiesta is very stylish outside and inside. In the cab there is enough room to seat four adults comfortably the cabin is very spacious and the interior is stylish with little detailing. The silver CD player stands out from the dash board and is a nice feature. To drive it is very nippy in low gears but does tend to struggle at higher speeds. It is very easy to drive and viewing capability is extremely good you can see the corners of the car from driver’s seat and visibility to the rear is very good. The exterior of the car is nice looking with quite wide arches to house the width of the tyre. Two distinct lines run up the bonnet and are a nice feature along with the headlights and chrome grill sets the front of the car nicely. The boot is a little lacking in space and you would struggle to fit luggage for four in the back. Handling in the car is very good with very little body roll through the corners at any speed; the steering is very responsive and with the addition of power steering makes manoeuvring simple. All in all the fiesta is a solid well built super mini perfect for around town driving and can seat 4 passengers comfortably although the boot may be a little lacking you could still fit the weeks shopping in. Perfect for cities but not so suited to the motorway.

Submitted: 2008-01-28 | ID: 39646

Barry Lloyd, Ceredigion

Ford Fiesta 1.4 2006

I used to drive a Fiesta in the 1980s and thankfully they have come a long way since then. I had to loan a friend’s Fiesta for a couple of weeks because my own car was in the garage. I found it good to drive with plenty of space, good controls and an inexpensive mode of transport. I would not call it visually inspiring but it is a HUGE improvement on my first model!

Submitted: 2007-11-06 | ID: 39640

Jamie Milward, Cornwall

Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi Ghia. 2007

Fun car to drive, nicely built and a pleasure to drive. Good on fuel economy. What more could you want?

Submitted: 2007-10-31 | ID: 39639

Andy Heywood, Lancashire

Ford Fiesta 1.6 Zetec S 2007

There were two things I expected when I took delivery of my new Fiesta, a keen engine and slighlty jarring ride ( it is the Zetec S after all ). I got both. Over the course of the last couple of months I have come to love driving the thing though, the engine is torquey and gives you lots of punch at low revs although as always with a ’spirited’ engine you find yourself wishing it had a little more power at times. Still half the insurance and running costs of the ST make it a far more sensible ownership prospect. Working out VERY cheap to lease at present!!

I have owned almost every model of Fiesta, then went on to driving allsorts: Capri, Calibra, Nissan premier sports, some quite good handling fast cars well most, but since my Zetecs, I’m amazed by the way it handles. If you know them, ex, it’s clear to see why if you look under, at structure and new sus designs. Mine needs lot of work on the body but never thought I’d see the day of wanting to keep one and more tasty than the new ones I think! Ford are starting to look like new Peugeots in a way don’t you think? ;-) - Phil Brill from England

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 39642

Michael Stewart, Middlesex

Ford Fiesta 1.2 2007

Good little runaround, gets me to and from where I wish to go quite easily, even if the street cred isn't high, you wont find a better little motor than this.

Submitted: 2007-08-24 | ID: 39644

Roy Hurst, Devon

Ford Fiesta 1.25 16v Zetec 2007

A joy to drive. I’ve had my fiesta now for 5 months and it’s been nothing but reliable and economical to drive. I have done a couple of fair distance journeys in this car too and it handled just as well at 70mph as it does at 30mph around town. A really good all rounder and very smart looking too.

Submitted: 2007-08-13 | ID: 39641

• A response has been made to Terry (25/05/2013 11:58:32)
  • A response has been made to Ron Friedlos (26/12/2012 12:18:19)

• Steven Burrows's question has been answered: "Check the brake fluid level. If low get the vehicle`s hydraulic system checked for leaks and check brake pads for wear. Check rear shoes for wear and - Scott merrills from East Riding of Yorkshire' '..." (20/08/2014 20:37:29)
  • vic's question has been answered: "The clutch slave cylinder has failed The gearbox will need to be removed and a replacment slave cylinder installed. Also a clutch would maybe requir - Scott merrills from East Riding of Yorkshire' '..." (20/08/2014 20:32:04)

1.6 TDCi ECOnetic - Ford’s latest Fiesta has already been established as one of, if not the top hatchback on the market today. Sublime handling, distinctive looks and excellent build quality are all mainstays of the standard Fiesta, but does an environmentally friendly option add a dull edge to an exciting range or doe [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Ford Fiesta 1.6 TDCi ECOnetic

1.4-litre Zetec - The Ford Fiesta is a roomy and reasonably inexpensive mode of transport. A competitive supermini that is good to drive but slightly lacking in character.

An image of the Ford Fiesta 1.4-litre Zetec