Fiat Scudo consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat Scudo

Fiat Scudo consumer reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012

Fiat Scudo consumer car reviews

Lee Cann, Devon

Fiat Scudo el 2002

Best van I’ve ever had! Amazing on fuel, unbelievable reliability and so useful with three seats and twin doors. Shame modern stuff is so temperamental. Love this van:-))

Submitted: 2014-01-29 | ID: 39321

Chris Lund, England

Fiat Scudo 2.0 tdi 2008

I bought my Scudo new from dealership so I would have security of a new van for at least 3 years. It’s been the worst mistake of my life! No amount of money has made this pile of scrap stay on the road. It’s been recovered countless times by RAC. Engine management light is on more than a street lamp. All the diagnostics put together can’t give diagnosis to put this right. Genuinely DO NOT GO WITHIN 100 miles of one of these, it will make your life a living hell and probably financially ruin you. Don’t say you weren’t warned!

Hi, like you we have had no end of trouble with a van we bought from new resulting in spending over £5000 in 3 years to keep it on the road. Sounds like you have the same issue as us. An approved Fiat garage finally found that all the wires within the wiring loom were burnt out, damaged and not insulated, something that never showed up with diagnostics. Seems like a manufacturing fault. Fiat needless to say have been useless and we are now having to go down the legal route - Oriana Pontone from Surrey

Submitted: 2013-06-09 | ID: 39319

David Newby, Cornwall

Fiat Scudo 120 2007

Purchased new and serviced fully by the supplying Fiat commercial dealer according to service schedules. With relatively low annual mileage only 26 months after purchase the dual mass flywheel broke up (37,000 miles) and Fiat in Turin said it was not covered by the 3 year Engine and Transmission warranty! Now 2013 at 95,000 miles the head has dropped a valve into one of the cylinders and a new engine is required. Also at the same time I bought a new Ducato, which has been a nightmare taking three years to get running reliably due to a wrongly installed wiring loom during manufacture - intermittently shorting out to chassis! I will never buy another Fiat commercial.

Submitted: 2013-04-18 | ID: 39318

Jamie, Essex

Fiat Scudo 2.0 multijet 120 2008

Fantastic van that is quick and pulls with ease everything I tow on it (mainly cars/4x4 on car trailer), even when loaded itself. Very impressive fuel consumption - 500+ miles on a tank of diesel with sensible driving. So comfortable to drive I rarely use my car now. It’s done 80,000 miles. It had 55,000 on it when I got it 18 months ago and all I have done is service it (full service, and I change oil and filter every 10,000 miles) and front and rear pads. Can not fault this van and would buy another, but only the 2.0 diesel not the 1.6.

Submitted: 2013-04-02 | ID: 39311

Sammy Hayes, Lanarkshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

The worst van ever! I’ve replaced the turbo twice as it’s so noisey it rattles like a rattle snake!

Submitted: 2013-03-31 | ID: 39312

Gary Stott, Yorkshire

Fiat Scudo 2007

</p> <div id="_mcePaste" style="position: absolute; left: -10000px; top: 0px; width: 1px; height: 1px; overflow: hidden;">I’ve had two scudos from new. I bought my first in 2004 and still have it and it has 225,000 on the clock. This model is fantastic to drive and I still use it on a daily basis. I had a new engine fitted at 75,000, but this was partly my fault because I didn’t realise it had a leak on the water system. I bought and still have a 57 plate lwb, which now has 195,000 miles on the clock. It’s not too bad apart from front bushes (drop links), which we replace about every 20,000 miles and it has shocking rear near side tyre wear; we had a new axel fitted under warranty to solve this, but it’s still as bad. The mpg on the 57 is not good either and I have to say it is a shocking van to drive. To sum up my 9 yrs driving a scudo I would say the 04 model is fantastic, but the 57 model is disappointing . I have today ordered a new van, a Nissan NV200, and the 57 plate is for sale.</div> <p>I’ve had two scudos from new. I bought my first in 2004 and still have it and it has 225,000 on the clock. This model is fantastic to drive and I still use it on a daily basis. I had a new engine fitted at 75,000, but this was partly my fault because I didn’t realise it had a leak on the water system. I bought and still have a 57 plate lwb, which now has 195,000 miles on the clock. It’s not too bad apart from front bushes (drop links), which we replace about every 20,000 miles and it has shocking rear near side tyre wear; we had a new axel fitted under warranty to solve this, but it’s still as bad. The mpg on the 57 is not good either and I have to say it is a shocking van to drive. To sum up my 9 yrs driving a scudo I would say the 04 model is fantastic, but the 57 model is disappointing . I have today ordered a new van, a Nissan NV200, and the 57 plate is for sale.</p> <p>

Submitted: 2013-03-09 | ID: 39313

Victor Lee, England

Fiat Scudo Van model D 2006

Exchanged the vehicle with my son, who had bought it new. As my wife drove the van I fitted it with reversing cameras, but disconnecting the battery was a mistake. Since reconnecting it the cigarette lighter stopped working, the clock only works when the ignition is on and and the radio keeps having to have the code reinstated. The Fiiat delerships are useless, they can’t even tell you where all the fuses are situated. With no workshop manual available I am at loss. other than this I have found the van very good.

Submitted: 2013-01-13 | ID: 39314

Chris, Leicestershire

Fiat Scudo 120 mjet 2008

Can’t believe I didn’t read the reviews before buying my Scudo 2008 120 mjet. It is garbage and is constantly failing on me despite throwing money at it. Listing the faults would take too long. Stay clear!

Submitted: 2012-10-25 | ID: 39315

Neil Sands, County Antrim

Fiat Scudo 2008

Bad doesn’t describe it. If no stars were an option I’d be on it. Let’s begin. Bought September last year and so far it’s needed: Anti roll bar bushes (cannot be bought separate have to buy the whole thing) all for injector seals, power steering pipe on low pressure end, 2 x wishbone and link bars and now a gearbox. Good going in a year and 17,000 miles. Only 75,000 on the clock and isn’t used for a great weight. If someone gave you this van it would still cost you a fortune. Stay well clear, poor doesn’t even cover it!

Submitted: 2012-10-07 | ID: 39316

Eamon Lennon, Kent

Fiat Scudo 1.6 2007

The list of problems I’ve had with 2007 1.6 Scudo at 69000miles is: EGR valve, 2x start motors, new turbo, brakes locking on and not releasing, broken down wiring loom, sliding door won’t close, lack of power, faulty flywheel and fuel injectors. Although you cant find fault with the roof rack, which is not a Fiat design. Worst of all you can’t find anyone to buy it off you, not even the local scrapyard and car thieves won’t touch them!

Submitted: 2012-09-28 | ID: 39317

Bill Antill, Yorkshire

Fiat Scudo Van 120 comfort 2007

Had nearly a year with no probs and then it broke down in Gretna needing an EGR valve replaced. A month later the EGR valve and turbo needed replacing at a rip off price from a local garage. Now it’s belching black smoke under load. I got quoted £80 for diagnostics. A good van, but could be superb.

Submitted: 2012-09-15 | ID: 39310

Chris Brown, Leicestershire

Fiat Scudo 2007

We bought this van new in 2007, and really it’s been a pile of rubbish since very early on. At first things like new discs, roll bar, etc., but then the EGR Valve went three times and the turbo twice. I complained to Fiat, but they didn’t want to know. Last week the engine seized, so we have gone back to Ford and ordered a new Connect. The Scudo looks nice, has lots of room and is well equipped, but please do not buy one, you will regret it. I wish we had got rid of it long ago, as it has cost a shed load of money. Fiat really need to sort this out, but then again I dont think they care so long as mugs keep buying them.

Submitted: 2012-07-20 | ID: 39306

Mark Jackson, Yorkshire

Fiat Scudo 90 multijet 2012

I’ve just bought a Scudo 90 multijet, but wish I hadn’t! The anti-roll bar bushes had to be replaced before I even went to pick it up. It sounds like someone’s put a bag of marbles in the engine and now the clutch is juddering on take off. Oh, I forgott to say, the intercooler sprang a leak 3 days after buying it. All this and I’ve only done 550 miles in it. Not happy!

Submitted: 2012-07-16 | ID: 39309

Anton Schaeffer, Australia

Fiat Scudo 2008

Hi I am sorry to see so many people have wasted their money on a 2008 Scudo as I have. Mine has had a few faults so far and it’s been in the Fiat dealership trying to solve the knock in the engine for 3 weeks now. The engine has been dismantled, but they can’t find a thing wrong with it. They are in constant touch with Fiat Australia and are now talking about putting it back together as they have no idea and I suppose they need the space. What can you do? They are the experts. ( Ex = unknown, spert= drip under pressure!)

Hi, we have the same problem with our 2008 Scudo. Did you ever get the problem resolved? - W R from England

hello i have same proplem - mr yan turner from North Yorkshire

hello i have same problem with scudo comfort 2008 top right side of the engine - mr yan turner from North Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-07-14 | ID: 39307

Allan Syme, Clackmannanshire

Fiat Scudo 2.0 jtd sx 2006

Hi! I bought this van new in October 2006 and it’s been fantasic. It’s now done 76000 miles. The only repairs I have had done is a starter motor, leaking power steering pipe, abs ring, servicing with timing belt and water pump done as recommened (all the faults have happened in the last year). It’s done fairly hard work and has towed quite a bit as well. I get about 42mpg and fitted one of those tunning boxes to it, which increased the power and torque, which makes it great for towing. I will probably keep the van for another 2 years. I was going to buy the new Scudo, but after reading the reviews I’m a bit concerned about the problems.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 39302

Peter Harrison, Northumberland

Fiat Scudo 2001

I’ve had the van nearly 4 years. I bought it with 140,000 miles and some minor ailments, i.e. it needed a new starter, alternator, etc. Also some major ailments as the gear on the crank that drives the timing belt began rattling loose, so it had new key fitted in crank and new gear glued on due to crank being worn. This gave it a new lease of life three years ago. Since then I have fitted a new clutch. The van has run great considering the head gasket has been blown and let oil into the coolant for over 2 years. It currently has approx 195,000 miles on the clock and it’s time for a new one... Engine I mean, I couldn’t part with the van. Love it!

Submitted: 2012-04-19 | ID: 39305

S G, England

Fiat Scudo Panorama 2008

The Scudo has good pulling power, reasonable fuel economy at 29-38 mpg (loaded and very loaded), but that’s the good bit over with. Okay, here’s the trash on it: Bought at eight months old, the anti-roll bar bushes went at one month out of warranty, it has squeaky seats, a leak from the power steering componant and the air bag light keeps coming on and won’t reset at the local garage as it needs the dealership to do this at a cost of £60! The door needing resetting onto the hangers, it has a rear light fault, wore out its discs at 27k and as a brake force imbalance of 13%, which is only just within MoT limits. Take into consideration that we’ve only done 27k in 4 years - buyers beware step away from the Scudo!

Submitted: 2012-04-09 | ID: 39303

Panos Kyriaakis, Greece

Fiat Scudo Panorama Family LWB 2009

I have had this van for 3 years and have travelled, with my family, almost 30000 klm with no problems at all. The only issue concerns the calibration; the vehicle pulls to the right by itself so you can’t take your hands from the wheel. The kids are comfortable in the rear seats and there is plenty of room for bags. It has low fuel consumption, but the interior plastics are of a lower quality than my Huyndai. However, I am generally pleased with the car.

Submitted: 2012-03-28 | ID: 39304

Jenny Fines, Cornwall

Fiat Scudo 2011

I have to travel out of Cornwall on a 6hr round trip. I took this journey twice in a Fiat Scudo 7 seater taxi. It has very basic seating and gave the noisiest, most uncomfortable journey I have ever endured. The seats shook, bounced and rattled, until they made you feel sick. I had a terrible headache on completion of journey due to the rattle from the sliding door. Also, the four inch plastic casing next to the passenger seat rattled and gave a hollow sound. For a quick trip of no more than couple of miles it’s fine, but certainly no more.

Submitted: 2012-02-28 | ID: 39301

Ernie Scales, Northumberland

Fiat Scudo 2007

This is a follow up to my earlier report: Since August last year (2011) our Scudo has had to have the self-levelling rear suspension replaced together with a drop link and rear brake caliper costing £1,551. Then the power steering failed and while the van was in the garage they noted more engine oil leaks, a clutch that needed replacing and play on the flywheel, which cost £2,537! Do Fiat care? Not one jot! I wrote to the MD Andrew Hunberstone who apparently read my letters, but was too busy to reply leaving it to one of his team who couldn’t or wouldn’t explain why the self levelling rear suspension is a £690 option, but the repair of which costs over £1,000. The van should still be an excellent vehicle but Fiat are a rubbish company.

Submitted: 2012-02-08 | ID: 39300

Geoff Stott, England

Fiat Scudo Comfort Multijet 90 2007

Bought new (pre-registered) May 2007 for use as bakery delivery van doing mainly local deliveries. Apart from a month in the dealers to replace the EGR valve, (under warranty) this van has only cost me consumables and service costs. The heat shield over the exhaust manifold was also replaced under warranty. It is coming up to 5 years old now with 49000 on the clock, but I’m now looking to replace it as I know from here on it will probably start costing. It sounds as though I have been lucky from the reviews I have read, but for a basic van there is nothing to touch the Scudo. New pre-registered ones are being advertised for £9999 now, that’s about 2.5K less than I paid for mine 5 years ago!! I’ve just been to test drive a Merc Vito, but I wasn’t overly impressed and I don’t know if I could cope with having 4 pedals under my feet, (one is the parking brake, released with a handle under the dash!!) and at 18K plus VAT it’s too pricey.

Fiat Scudo Comfort 2.0 Multijet LWB. I have found my van, bought from new, to be comfortable, okay on fuel efficiency and it would appear unusually free of defects, (until end of year two). I am in full agreement with the conclusions regarding customer care and the level of service that FIAT Dealerships provide. I have had the compulsory anti-roll bar replacement under warranty, and a new EGR valve. As I write the EGR valve has just caused a breakdown, had to be flat-bedded home. Its a shame to be honest, I think the Scudo is good looking, drives well and was considering part exchange on a newer version, however reading the reveiws perhaps. I have been very lucky and should look elsewhere - from London

Submitted: 2012-01-17 | ID: 39298

Gareth Smith, England

Fiat Scudo 2001

I have a Y reg Scudo, which I paid £1800 pounds for a year ago. It’s just the best van and does an average 40 mpg. If you’re going to get one make sure its an old one, my mate has a new one for work and let’s just say it’s cost a few quid in repairs and his is only a year old.

Submitted: 2011-10-19 | ID: 39296

Mickie, Surrey

Fiat Scudo 109bhp JTD 2004

I’ve had two Scudo vans, R Reg and 04 Reg, both served excellently for a total 196000mls. The older 1.9td was best (simple efficient van), but I was still pleased with the newer 109bhp JTD, which was smooth, powerful, comfortable, economical, well built and totally reliable. These vans seem to enjoy being driven hard over long periods, with no top up of oil or water between services. I always move off in 1st gear at tickover revs, (163000 mls on one clutch). Buy one, you won’t be sorry.

Submitted: 2011-10-17 | ID: 39297

William Dick, Fife and Kinross Shires

Fiat Scudo comfort 1.6 2002

I bought mine through vans direct. I use the van as a courier vehicle, the milage is now 197,000. Problems: Front anti-roll bar went at 40,000, the lower wishbones at 170,000 and the clutch at 196,000. This is the best van I have driven. Tip: Don’t miss a service, I think this is the key to a reliable vehicle.

Submitted: 2011-09-21 | ID: 39295

Steve Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire

Fiat Scudo 120 multi 2008

A total waste of money, the biggest bag of trash I have ever driven. I’ve had 4 turbos go in 41K. It drinks juice and is vile to drive. More warning buzzers than enough. Don’t go near them. My normal van is a VW transporter, which had 176k on the clock and has only let me down once with a broken drive shaft. Says it all to me!!

Submitted: 2011-08-30 | ID: 39293

Paul Aveil, Kent

Fiat Scudo 1.9 el 2004

I’ve been reading all the threads here and my advice is don’t buy the new shape Scudo, simple as that!!, I have a 2004 1.9 el with 139,000 miles on the clock. It has just had a new clutch fitted, has NEVER needed any water, but it has had the oil topped up now and again. I drive this really really hard and it just keeps going and I’ve run it without a air filter for about 70,000 miles, just sprayed grease in the air filter compartment (without filter in it). It smokes for about 2 seconds when first starting and NO smoke from exhaust. Oh and it had its last oil change 50,000 miles ago! I worked for a company that had the new shape and it had to have a new gearbox and loads of other stuff done. Avoid. Yes, mine’s had a few issues but I would recommend you buy the old shape, they are brilliant.

Submitted: 2011-08-16 | ID: 39294

Robson, Durham

Fiat Scudo 20 jtd 2001

We bought a Scudo from an auction. Previously owned by a vending company (in Lincoln) when we picked it up it wouldn’t run properly; coughs and splutters when half revs were reached. We had it checked out on a computer and found the turbo was faulty, airflow meter faulty, suspension bushes badly worn, oil in water (head gasket gone). Tyres off all the time (tracking spot on), major diesel leak when tank nearly full, plus lots of other defects. Eventually sold it privately and are glad to get rid of it after losing a small fortune on it. Somebody elses problem now.

Submitted: 2011-06-22 | ID: 39264

Mark, Essex

Fiat Scudo 19 el 2001

Bought my van, brand new 51 plate no problems with it at all, 85000 miles, never been in a garage except for services. Extremely reliable, was on the verge of px for the new shape scudo until I read reviews; I know from experience that Fiat dealers are useless, but still liked the van. Sounds like I won’t be investing in the new shape. Cheers for all reviews.

Submitted: 2011-05-11 | ID: 39269

Chris Dulake, Surrey

Fiat Scudo 2008

Should have listened to everyone else. What a pile of junk. Just over two year old and had more things problems than can list. Only thing that’s original is the block, head and g/box I think. Two terminal breakdowns, into dealer a total of 6 times and it’s still not right. Last time they said it was all done. Got out of the dealers gate and there it was again. I can’t knock the dealer, he’s doing his best, but the van, mechanically etc is the pits. Driving is great, when it’s running. Wonder what it will be like when it’s done lots of miles, if it ever gets there. Stay clear of Fiat Vans!!!!!!

Submitted: 2011-05-11 | ID: 39270

Simon, Lancashire

Fiat Scudo JTD SX Dynamic 2006

Bought this van from new five years ago. Got the full spec including a/c and cruise £10,500. Had an anti-roll bar replaced under warranty and the back box on the exhaust has just dropped off. Apart from that this van has been fantastic, comfy and quick and it still looks great in SX trim with met paint.

Submitted: 2011-03-17 | ID: 39268

David Wright, Renfrewshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

Just over three years old, several faults including: major oil leak, excessives tyre wear, knocking front supension, brake failure twice, most of all serious cracking on body work next to side loading doors estimated costs £3200. Fiat will not cover warranty on this, 8 year body warranty not worth paper it’s written on. I am consulting a lawyer on retuning the van as not fit for purpose under trading standards, updates will follow. Be warned, financial disaster if buying Fiat commercial.

We have had a Scudo van for three years and in that time, it has had a new engine, complete loom replacement, two gearboxes and now it had problems with the fuel pump. I am considering the "not fit for purpose" angle and I wondered how you got on with your litigation. Please feel free to contact me on haking@btinternet.com - Hazel King from Kent

Submitted: 2011-03-14 | ID: 39265

Martin, Staffordshire

Fiat Scudo 2007

The general design of the van isn’t bad; good loadspace, decent cab, nice to drive. Reliability is a problem though. The electrics all packed up a few months ago, getting every warning light on the dash lit, and the speedometer dying. This happened immediately after recall work to fix the headlights turning ’off’ (which never happened with our van)- now the headlights turn ’on’ of their own accord, causing at least one near miss due to another driver thinking they’ve been flashed out at a junction. Taken to three different dealers, the first 2 claimed they couldn’t do much because they’re not "van specialists". The final dealer had the van in for 2 months, and after replacing the body computer and power steer unit, the van is back on the road, £2000 later. All this was due to ’corroded wiring’, and on a lightly used van; its done about 45,000 miles. Also various trim pieces are beginning to fall off, the turbo is whistling like a shepherd and cracks are appearing in the paintwork. Fuel economy: 32mpg. Avoid.

Submitted: 2011-03-11 | ID: 39267

Adrian, Romania

Fiat Scudo 2.0 120 HP 2007

I’ ve bought the 2.0 120 HP Scudo second hand from Germany when it had 30K; now it’s at 57K with no major repairs, just changed the belts on the dealer’s recomandation, but that’s routine repairs. I’m having problems with the sway bar that’s knocking but didn’t change it for 20K; changed about 4-5 headlight bulbs. I’ve had problems with the car starting and then stalling and the dealer said I have to change some valve but didn’t and now it’s fine, turns out there was a build up of ash and over reving it fixed the problem. The thing that squirts water on the windscreen was broken but only from a blown fuse. Had a problem with the air bag light in the dashboard, when I adjust the steering wheel but that has gone away. I am finding it hard to list the major faults. I am very worried about the stuff that’s written here, I can feel the pulsation in my clutch pedal, and I’ve read that’s a sign of the clutch failing and the other stuff like blown engine, fuel tank, turbo, horrible and made me think about changing the car. I service it every 6K and rarely reach 3K revs and that must of kept it going longer. I own a tile shop and use the van for delivery so the 1.2 Ton load capacity comes in handy; when fully loaded starting and stopping at the lights I can feel hesitation in the acceleration, something I have also read here and must be related to the clutch. I have owned a 03 Fiesta and before the clutch was gone I felt less power from it; the same thing I feel from the Scudo The old model seams to be getting better reviews. I didn’t see anyone write here they reached 100K with the new model.

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 39271

Dave Brown, Durham

Fiat Scudo 2008

Keep well away from the Fiat Scudo up to now I’ve had more faults than I care to remember at the time of this letter I’ve spent over 5 grand on repairs. Please take my advice, don’t go anywhere near it.

Submitted: 2011-01-12 | ID: 39272

Darren Ratcliff, England

Fiat Scudo delux 2007

First new van ever, worst buy of my life! Very light use hovers etc. turbo noisy after 24000 Fiat said not to replace it till its noisier! Then turbo blows at 26000 taking the engine with it, nice. Fiat said 3rd year so turbo not covered but engine is? And as turbo blew engine go away. Cost £600 for a turbo and £2000 for engine £500 fitting and now air suspension has gone. Pure trash!

Submitted: 2011-01-11 | ID: 39273

Karen McDougall, Renfrewshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

After approx 55 miles nightmare began; fuel pump, rollbar, egr valve, new turbo, power steering pump, oil leaks, window pulleys snapped. Paisley dealership blamed contaminated supermarket fuel at start to buy time as warranty only had 2 months left. Total rip off, never buy Fiat!

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 39274

Jason Beesley, Northumberland

Fiat Scudo 1.6D 2008

Bought my Scudo in Feb 08, wish I’d bought a skip from the demolition company across the road. Scudo looks nice, drives well, that’s where it ends. 2 weeks out of 2 yr warranty EGR valve went causing £730 damage. Roll bar knackered, all the dogs chase me because the turbo whistles that much, passenger seat has collapsed, only gets light use. Paint is cracking across all of the panel seams. Van has only done 35000 miles and is well looked after. Fiat should be ashamed of themselves, product reliability is a joke. This van is only good if you are hiring one for a week, any longer you are wasting your time. Don’t bother ringing Fiat UK, it won’t get you anywhere. Save the price of the call and put the lottery on, you have better odds of success.

Submitted: 2010-12-20 | ID: 39292

Paul Mottram, Aberdeenshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

Damn good van up to now, 65,000 miles on the clock, it gets hard pushed all the time and fully loaded. Just had all the belts done. Very good on fuel and fast off the mark, it bombs around rural Scotland day in and day out. The only faults I have had up to now is possible rear suspension leak but not yet confirmed and it had to go back in on recall for a light adjustment, but that’s it, you can’t expect them to run without something going wrong. I would buy another one no problem when the time comes.

Submitted: 2010-11-27 | ID: 39290

S Morgan, Swansea

Fiat Scudo 2.0tdi 2006

Bought second hand in 2007, was one year old. After 1 year the air bag came on and wouldn’t go out, was told not under warranty, even though the warranty book said it was, dealer said that the warranty isnt worth anything! Wont buy brand new from them then! Got in touch with head office and they agreed to do the work as a gesture of goodwill!! Problems: Driver door doesn’t have its internal stops, to stop it swinging right open; Squeaking coming from rear wheel, sounds like a bearing? Water trapped in spot light; vanity light stuck on, had to disconnect it. I know compared to everyone else these problems are minor, but had to add my info too. Good points: Good mpg, fast, perfect size for window cleaning, reliable (so far).

Submitted: 2010-11-24 | ID: 39291

Graham Marshall, England

Fiat Scudo 2008

Had my first anti roll bar replaced 15000 miles after reading reports it is clearly a design or build quailty problem. Do someting about it Fiat! Broke down last week and had to have the indicater switch assy replaced on 22,000 .. its my fault apparently as it was full of water (LIES!) The engineers at the local Fiat garage (Middleton ) will do anything for you as long as you pay their stupid labour charges! The warranty is a complete joke.

Submitted: 2010-10-18 | ID: 39288

Ernie, Northumberland

Fiat Scudo 2007

This should be an excellent vehicle - the accommodation is good, it handles well, and on the 120 I can get up to 42 mpg on rural roads if the trip computer is accurate. However, reliability is another matter entirely - engine oil leaks, anti-roll bar, exhaust valve, tyre wear are all problems I have experienced. Fiat (and its partners at Citroen and Peugeot with the Dispatch and Expert both made in the same factory as the Scudo but badged differently) needs to take their heads out of the sand about this vehicle. Either there are serious defects with the vehicle or the standard of workmanship at the factory leaves a lot to be desired.

Submitted: 2010-10-14 | ID: 39289

Alan Giles, Essex

Fiat Scudo Comfort 2007

I had a Scudo for almost 3 years bought from new from Glyn Hopkins at Chadwell Heath. Noticed a problem that the tyres show excessive wear on the inside back wheels, reported this problem to the dealer and apparently they all do that and it is not a fault. Also after about 18 months black painted finish on various areas has started to peel/corrode, apparently that is trim and that is not covered under the warranty. Coming up to now 3 years of ownership the air con has stopped working and this is not covered under the warranty, apparently the warranty in the 3rd year only covers the engine and gearbox you have been warned.

I’ve read many reports saying how the Scudo van has nearly crippled them financially, well I’m living proof that it can financially cripple you, My 07 120 multi jet cost 14k on finance over 5 years hoping that it would have a re-sale value at the end and become a company asset, this vehicle has cost me 5k in repairs and is now at the point of v5 being completed for scrap / dismantlers. It’s now not even worth a bean. The repairs have included 3 x egr valves, 2 x anti roll bar bushes, 1 x starter motor, 1 x dual mass flywheel, 1 x turbo replaced, numerous sets of tyres, bulbs and pads replaced. It’s in the workshop more times than out. Never ever buy this van, it should be discontinued and followed up by some form of Office of Fair Trade for being misold and unfit for it’s purpose. Absolutely disgusted with the van and service at Glyn Hopkins. You have been well and truly warned. - Cliff Archer from Essex

Submitted: 2010-10-10 | ID: 39286

Azhar Mehmood, England

Fiat Scudo 2005

Its cltuch and flywheel went at 60000 milage and now gear box problem on 65000 milage.

Submitted: 2010-10-04 | ID: 39285

Micko Jones, Ireland

Fiat Scudo 120 multijet 2008

Ihave had it back with the dealer countless times. Last time a big engine job. I have done 1,200 kilometres and it has burned most of the oil in the sump. I tried trading it in but no one wants. They are having trouble with anti-roll bars, flywheels, side window water leaks, carbon build up in engine, egr valves. I will never buy again but can not even get rid of it.

Submitted: 2010-09-21 | ID: 39283

Fiat Scudo 2008

Just to let everyone going to buy a Fiat Scudo know... Since my last views on the Scudo my major problems have gone up from 28 faults up to 31 faults. Yes, that’s 3 more in the space of 2 weeks - the latest faults have been the engine mounts have collapsed; the rear shockers have gone again (dealer shockers may I add) and I’d like to say, finally, but I am being optimistic - the cooler system is leaking oil again!

Submitted: 2010-09-20 | ID: 39284

Paul Hillier, Wiltshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

I bought 2 Fiat Scudos in 2008, over a 2 year period they both were in Fiat for warranty work at least 7 times each, one of them there for 9 months. Both with the same problem. Had nightmares with both of them. Both broken down again with same problem, Fiat no help at all now out of warranty, even though it’s been a recurring prob from new. I would advise that you avoid Fiat vehicles like the plague!!!!!

Just been looking to get a new van, thanks for your review. Just wondering, did you part-ex them to a dealer in Swindon as they told me? They have had 2 in recently from the same company wanting to trade up their vans, just really don’t want to or can’t afford to make a wrong purchase - from Wiltshire

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 39278

Fiat Scudo 2008

I bought my Fiat Scudo 120 minibus in 2008. I’ve had more problems, in fact 28 faults, firstly holes in the floor, intercooler, all the bushes, squeaky seats, clutch flywheel, steering rack, snapped wheel nut, paint peeling off, turbo replaced, diesel tank exploded, both sliding doors have come off, shattered wheel discs, gear box shattered from inside, oil pump replaced and there’s still major noises coming from the front. In my opinion I would stay well away from Fiat Scudos if you have any sense. Every Wednesday for just short of 2years the van’s been in the dealership for work to be done.

Submitted: 2010-09-06 | ID: 39277

Raymond Boyd, Dumfriesshire

Fiat Scudo 120 Comfort multijet swb 2008

I bought a Fiat Scudo in January 2008 for business use and to be honest the vehicle is fantastic in size with loads of road and a good pay load. Its not a high vehicle, so easy to park in multi storeys with restricted head room for vehicles. The engine size is good and drives very well and is very economical on fuel. As well as all that it looks good and was relatively easy to sign write having large straight panels. The problems arise when the vehicle hits two years old. It has a full manufacturer’s warranty for two years and the third years warranty is only a dealer’s warranty which to be honest covers very little. My vehicle is two and a half years old and despite the vehicle only having done 60,000 miles and has one driver who does not drive the vehicle hard I have had to replace the master cylinder, the intercooler and the anti roll bar all at the same time. The dealer was very good but when I complained to Fiat all they would give was the parts for the master cylinder. Its natural wear and tear they told me. What a load of rubbish, no other commercial vehicle we have had has needed so many major parts at that age. Actually, we had a problem with the Doblo at just over two years old - the full linkage on the windscreen wipers had to be replaced, again normal wear and tear... I dont think so. So be warned, they are really great vans BUT unless Fiat gets to grips with their parts wearing out after two years don’t keep your van any longer than the maufacturer’s warranty period.

Re Fiat and after sales service on a Fiat Multipla. I have a file full correspondence that I have accumulated with my on going battle with Fiat. I had problems far too numerous to mention with this brand new vehicle - mainly electrical I have to say. I eventually got in touch with Fiat Head Office in the UK. The letters I received from ’the big man’ painted a picture of a person who didn’t give a damn about his customers and I was treated with absolute contempt. We love the car itself but I have vowed never to buy another Fiat which is a pity because I really fancy the Scudo van. I arrived at this website hoping there would be some good reviews and that I had just been unfortunate with my dealings with Fiat, but I can see I’m not the only one who is disgruntled! - Ivy Green from England

Submitted: 2010-09-02 | ID: 39281

Fiat Scudo 2009

I bought a Fiat Scudo in November 2008 and up to now I’ve only had 27 faults with it - from the floor to the gearbox, cooler unit, seats clutch, shockers (all of them), doors, trackrods. The fuel tank exploded so I don’t recommend that anybody buys one. I ALSO FIND THE WARRANTY TO BE NOT WORTH THE PAPER IT’S WRITTEN ON - BASICALLY THE FIAT SCUDO IS C**P SO DONT TOUCH ONE

Submitted: 2010-08-31 | ID: 39280

Mark, Scotland

Fiat Scudo 2008

The Fiat dealer was great, customer service centre c**p! The ’unlimited’ 2 year warranty is rubbish; clutch problem at 87.000 miles still under warranty was told by customer care centre that’s wear & tear so it’s not covered under unlimited warranty, total lies from Fiat. Their new ads should say "we have your money now don’t bother us anymore" and I’m being polite. If you have a brain then take my advice and don’t buy a Fiat Scudo. Infact let’s start a forum called ’Lets get back at Fiat for ripping us off!’<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-24 | ID: 39276

Shay O Connor, Northamptonshire

Fiat Scudo 2008

Purchased Scudo 2.0hdi taxi,io/11/2008, it is less than 2 years old, the following problems have occurred: Rear sliding door was pulled off by customer; New clutch after 30000 miles; 2 sets of anti roll bars fitted under warranty; Auxiliary belt frayed, new one fitted; Timing belt and water pump changed; Major problems with engine management, new egr valve fitted under warranty, the problem’s still there, now having 2 cats fitted at £1400. Also, 2 drive shafts done under warranty and by the way the cab has only done 55000 miles, could be all the time spent in the garage that has kept the mileage down! Also my earnings! I do not have a problem with the local dealer, they try their hardest to please but the Scudo taxi as a product is rubbish and I shall not be buying another.

Submitted: 2010-07-13 | ID: 39275

Neil Metcalfe, Yorkshire

Fiat Scudo Deluxe 2008

The Scudo van we bought can be fantastic when all is well but when it’s bad it’s very bad. The van packed up completely on the M6 when the exhaust valve gave up. Why Fiat do not have a manual override for this built in line is beyond me. If this stops working just start walking. Now the van is 2 years and one month old and the suspension is knocking like mad. I spoke to the dealer who tells me this is not a problem but they do have 5 vans waiting for new anti roll bars. We changed the poor headlight bulbs for some bright ones. This took us over two hours and plenty of skin but it is worth it. The van is used for light work only and these are issues I would expect from a 1985 Transit not a 2008 van. Perhaps I will look at Vauxhall or Hyundai next.<br /><br />

It seems from reading several different reviews/websites etc., inc AA recalls -that Fiat have a huge problem with the Anti roll bar (of course they are denying this ). I have noticed a Knocking noise for a while now and when I mentioned this to Fiat they said "they’re not aware of any issues concerning knocking or banging" However, I popped my van into a local garage and not the local Fiat dealers as I wanted to get an independant opinion and as I thought the Anti roll bar & drop links need changing ..Of course the Mechanic is amazed that this is even an issue with a van that is so young! However, on his advice I’m about to do battle with our local Fiat dealer as, like several other owners, my van only does light work and should not need to have the Anti roll bar changed at just 2 yrs 5 months old! Especially that a 3 yr warranty should mean 3 YRS .... Like others I will avoid Fiat for another Vehicle, fortunately I also own a Vito so I already know where my money will be better spent next time! - from Warwickshire

I’m just wondering if you got anywhere with Fiat? I have a Scudo Combi, had an anti-roll bar replaced Jan 10 and already needs another. Considering my car is not 3 years old ’til November I am wary that my last wasn’t fitted correctly. I have contacted Fiat and awaiting a return call to see if they can help with the costs as it’s not covered under 3 yr warranty! The vehicle has only done 24000 miles, carrying small children only so I just can’t see how I have damaged them! - Louise Riddler from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-04-16 | ID: 39245

Cliff Archer, Essex

Fiat Scudo 2008

Very disappointed with the Scudo. the fuel economy of a 120 Deluxe is about 36 mpg. The suspension is terrible with a common problem being that the stabilising bushes wear very quickly and when it comes to replacing these under warranty the main dealers just don’t want to know even though this problem in my opinion is coming close to a recall situation. Don’t even attempt to change the front lamp bulbs unless you were born double jointed. The rear tailgate left hand door has to be shut with an operation of push and pull because the bottom catch mechanism is slightly offset and to shut the sliding doors I have to yank at them to start them off on their journey. A plus point is a very comfortable ride (when suspension correct) with a good-looking van but not enough plus points to make me go and buy another one. Was once told Fiat stood for Fix It Again Tomorrow. I now wish I had taken more notice of those wise words.

Submitted: 2010-03-23 | ID: 39248

William Dick, Scotland

Fiat Scudo 1.6 2008

The only problem was the heat-shield, like the other previews I have that knocking sound at the rear, I think it’s the suspension. Two years old and 89000 on the clock, it’s a good van.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-02-27 | ID: 39241

Clarky, Scotland

Fiat Scudo 1.9d el 2003

Never missed a beat, all it’s had in 50k is two sets of front tyres (still on original rear Michelins 5mm) one set of front pads, exhaust repair and thats it. Had it now for 7 years (53 plate). Been serviced but only minor eg. oil/air filter etc . Still on original battery, bulbs the lot. OK it’s not fast but it pulls and returns 35-40 mpg or 50+ on a run. I like a new van like the next guy but this is a friend and I can’t bring myself to part with her. I will hold on to this van as I know getting such a reliable bullet proof motor that will do 500k with ease (taxi drivers) will be hard to come by. This engine is going to be legendary and it’s only emissions that killed it off.

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 39240

Paul Cumpsty, Lancashire

Fiat Scudo 120 combi 2008

My 2008 plate 2l diesel has done approx 65000 miles, on my 3rd rear anti rollbar, several sets of suspension bushes have been fitted, intercooler exploded at approx 30k, currently waiting on a front lower suspension arm and cv boot to arrive and be fitted under warranty. I also suffer from clutch judder when leaving junctions and every day it has a new clunk or bang from somewhere. It’s being used as a taxi in Lancaster, a very popular choice for taxi’s in this town but every time I go to the dealers with it they have a stack of taxis in there for warranty work. Loads are suffering from flywheel/clutch replacements, anti rollbars, bushes, instrument clusters packing up. One of my friends has been in for all these faults and is now being put on a jig as they suspect the wheels/body is all out of line, its going back to Fiat under the consumers act of unfit for purpose.

Have you tried putting some silicon around the upper rear brake light? I have just done mine and at the moment it’s working! - from Cardiff

Write in to watchdog, they will sort it! - Tony Greenhead from Kent

Submitted: 2010-02-04 | ID: 39242

Tom Hamlyn, England

Fiat Scudo 2007

As far as comfort goes, the Fiat Scudo has none. After a 3 hour journey your entire lower back and legs ache badly, both driver and passenger. The most comfortable area of the vehicle seemed to be plywood decking in the rear, the seats in the front are made from stone, which is possibly also the reason behind the lack of fuel economy. It seems a 2.0 litre petrol Audi has far better economy. When handling speed bumps at high speed in central London, the van performs nicely, the suspension taking the pain well. The only problem here was the lack of a partition between the driver and rear, though having said this we could avoid flying objects using the rear view mirror, which the rest of the time would look at the rear of the van having no windows!! Finally the cup holders seem capable of holding nothing more than a shot glass.

Submitted: 2009-12-17 | ID: 39251

Alec Barkley, Derbyshire

Fiat Scudo 2lt ELX / JTD 9 seats 2006

I looked at many people carriers and vans but this Scudo licks them all, very quiet and the two litre diesel multi jet turbo has loads of power and comfy spacious driving position. It has all the mod cons and looks good too although I don´t like the newer version with big lights and the loss of the small side forward windows but this 2006 car/van is ace, love it to bits and my mates want one too.

Submitted: 2009-12-14 | ID: 39252

Paul Stephens, Wrexham

Fiat Scudo 1.9d 2001

I bought mine from new in 2001. Currently I have clocked up 225000 miles. It uses no oil, i’ve had no leaks, it’s never broke down once. I’ve just serviced it my self, changing the oil every 5000 miles and I have fitted a new set of heater plugs at 180000 miles, this thing is bullet proof. No rust whatsoever and has never failed an mot, a fantastic van!

I’ve owned my Scudo 1.9 td since 2004, it was first registered in 2001. It’s now got 256,000 miles on the clock and the head gasket has just gone! But up until then, it has been superb. I’m a taxi driver, so it’s really been worked hard but apart from an oil leak, it really has earned its money. There is not one area of rust on the body either. Having said that, I wouldn’t buy a new one, after reading the reviews on here! - Andy Boulton from Hampshire

Submitted: 2009-11-27 | ID: 39249

Steve Fowler, England

Fiat Scudo 2007

My previous Scudo was brilliant, the new version has been a lot of bother. It has spent about six weeks at the main dealers, two oil leaks, windscreen split down the middle, rattling heat shield, suspension knocking noise still unresolved, exhaust gas recycle valve replaced after vehicle engine cut out several times (very scary on roundabouts with no power steering!). Also economy mode is frustrating, after being parked for ten or fifteen minutes with engine off, radio goes off and windows will not wind up. So, if you’ve had a break you have to start the engine to shut the windows before you get back to the job - some economy. Still not a bad van though, maybe I just got unlucky.

I'm interested to read that several other people are complaining about the suspension as we also have a 57 plate Scudo 120, which we bought new, that does very little hard work. We have recently noticed that the suspension is knocking yet again, as this is not the first time we have had this issue! Fiat replaced the anti-roll bar bushes on the van when it was just 6 just months old! Now its 2 years old and has just had it's second service; now the knocking noise is back! We have been told by Fiat that this is now going to cost £pound300 to repair . However, when we asked Fiat if there is a general problem they have said no(surprise) - John Wright from Warwickshire

I was interessted to read your review and curious to know if you have experienced any hesitation in acceleration at 2000/2250 revs? Something that is apparently related to EGR. I have an 07 Scudo and have had nothing but trouble with it including 3 clutch/fly wheel assembly, 2 turbos, continuous anti-roll bar bushings, broken cam shaft wishbone and now this hesitation, which is not registering on their computer - Ged Carter from England

I have a 120 57 plate that has done 46k miles as a taxi in York. I have all the same problems. It’s about to have its 2nd set of anti roll bar bushes but they tell me that now its in its 3rd yr of warranty it doesn’t cover wear or tear; its last set were fitted only a year ago. It has clutch judder but only when it is sat in traffic, it performs ok when driving normally but as soon as it hits slow traffic the clutch starts juddering like mad. It pulls to the left also, the front end shakes on acceleration in 2nd gear, the engine revs on its own when changing down gears and there’s a real bad engine flat spot when changing from 1st to 2nd gear. The dealer said its probably the EGR valve? The driver’s seat belt fell off, the brakes are rubbish and there is a different interior rattle every day (no exaggeration). The centre armrest has broken, the ariel disintegrated when the jet wash flashed over it, once turbo kicks in it kicks black smoke out and its fuel economy is ranging from only 23mpg to 35 mpg around town. I went to the main dealer today to book it in for the work and they tell me the 3rd year warranty only covers broken mechanical parts and not things that are worn, i.e. anti roll bar and clutch; if the clutch was worn it would judder every time not just in traffic right? The only good thing i can say about this 120 is it's a nice looking thing - Gary Wrigglesworth from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-10-20 | ID: 39259

Doug, Northumberland

Fiat Scudo 2008 2009

My Scudo has had 3 clutches. It has covered 16,000 miles and has also had 2 drive shafts. It still shudders on take up of clutch. HELP!

Submitted: 2009-10-09 | ID: 39263

Liam Reardon, Cheshire

Fiat Scudo 120 Comfort 2008

Really surprised me! Had a VW Transporter before and this wipes the floor with it. Never missed a beat in 60000 miles.

Submitted: 2009-09-10 | ID: 39253

Alan Barlow, England

Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD Dynamique 2005

Bought 2 and had them fitted with freezer units - one has 210,000 miles - the other 110,000 miles - no problems - never let me down - fantastic vans and will buy 2 more when these are 5 years old - clutch changes can be expensive but hey - they do what they say on the tin!

Second van has now covered 162000 miles and is still on the first clutch (first had a clutch at 110000) - both vans still drive like new - apart from consumables for servicing we’ve had to replace 1 exhaust only. Fuel consumption is excellent and we’re getting 30000 miles to a set of front tyres although admittedly the vast majority of runs are motorway. Now they are 5 years old I’m thinking of replacing them although reading the reviews here about the new shape 120s I’m really not sure that I want the new model - it sounds more trouble than it’s worth - pity since I like the looks but I can’t afford to have the vans in what sounds like an unsympathetic dealership repair shop - Alan Barlow from England

Submitted: 2009-08-27 | ID: 39255

Deano Scudo, Yorkshire

Fiat Scudo 1.9 EL 2003

Best little van I have ever bought!!! MPG-Excellent, better than Ford Connect. Drive-Excellent, better than Vauxhall Combo. Spacious, 3 seats, twin side loading doors, CD player, airbags, PAS, Thatcham approved alarm and immobiliser as STANDARD!!! You can also get the van serviced at any Peugeot / Citroen / Fiat dealer for £99!!!!

Submitted: 2009-08-24 | ID: 39254

Stef Pegg, Cornwall

Fiat Scudo 2000 jtd 2006

<p style="text-align: left;">Never been disappointed by it. It starts, it goes. It’s broken down once in 102,000 miles when the exhaust fell off. It has no mod cons... no air con, or even central locking but the twin sliding side doors are a real bonus. Will get another one when the lease is up later this year - it has been much more relible than the Transit and Combo I had before - FACT!

I have to agree, I bought my Fiat Scudo three years ago and I’ve never had a single problem with it! It’s easy to handle and fuel efficient - job done! - Anna Thomas from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2009-08-19 | ID: 39257

Lindsay Ford, Essex

Fiat Scudo stj 2.0 2006

I purchased my Scudo 3 years ago now. I am on my third instrument cluster and the speedo has packed in. Fiat vans are a total waste of time - keep well clear!

Submitted: 2009-07-14 | ID: 39324

David, England

Fiat Scudo 2.0 JTD 2004

Oh dear, where do I start! From the moment of picking up my van I had trouble but I put the vast majority of the problems down to the dealer. Total incompetence. I know that anyone can buy a jinxed van but when the van is returned to the dealer five times and they still don’t cure ANY of the faults, then you really are stuck. I even tried rejecting the van which was my right- the law, unfortunately is an ass because I would have had to return the van then buy/hire another whilst fighting for my money back. I decided against it. You know what they say FIAT stands for: Fix It Again Tomorrow - but, in my experience, that isn’t true because they don’t fix it. I would advise anyone thinking of buying one not to.

Submitted: 2009-07-01 | ID: 39327

Graham, England

Fiat Scudo 120 lwb 2007

I bought from new 20 months ago. I am now on my 3rd clutch, the air con is broken and am now awaiting parts. I’ve had a new radiator, the headlights flash on their own and Fiat do not know what is wrong. It took 3 months for them to get the bluetooth working. I can’t fault the drive of this van but it’s not that quiet. Don’t buy.

The light problem is the light switch [stalk]. I had same probs, put new stalk on and it now works fine - Chippys Taxis? from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-06-04 | ID: 39325

Vanny Taylor, Leicestershire

Fiat Scudo 2.0 2008

I had van new in 08 - worst van ever - pulls to left, seats worn out, paints patchy... oh, the best bit is it does 22 mpg. Fiat vans are a joke, fly wheel went - clunking noise at front. It had only done 10000, god knows what it will be like at 50000. DON’T BUY ONE! They’re scrap.

Submitted: 2009-03-11 | ID: 39328

Stephen Mitchell, Swansea

Fiat Scudo 2.0 multijet new model 2007 onwards 2007

I have had this van for almost a month and a half now, picked it up new with delivery mileage on the clock. From day one the van pulls severely to the left and is physically harder to steer to the right as opposed to the left. Visited the dealer twice to have the problem remedied (tracking, steering alignment, etc) problem still exists, even had the service manager out for a road test and was told these vans are harder to steer to the right than left and the camber of the road causes the van to pull left. I took the opportunity to independently road test 2 other identical vans and guess what? ....... they do not have any of the symptoms of my van.

Submitted: 2008-08-29 | ID: 39323

Janine Warwick, Kent

Fiat Scudo 1.9D 2007

I’ve had this van for 8 months and it is the best little panel van out there, in my opinion. Firstly, the cabin is designed like a car so it’s very easy to drive and extremely comfortable. It also has an amazing load space for such a small van and Fiat have really thought out their design well. I actually enjoy driving this van, rather than just having to, to do my job. Very stylish too. 5 out of 5!

Submitted: 2007-11-26 | ID: 39322

• A response has been made to Anton Schaeffer (08/06/2014 22:15:31)
  • A response has been made to Chris Lund (09/06/2013 09:48:32)

• Kevin's question has been answered: "Haha, I'm really pleased I could help you Grant. Happy days! - Kevin from Cheshire' '..." (13/07/2014 22:12:18)
  • Jeff's question has been answered: "I have the same van and this is totally normal. Some manufacturers put 'safety features' in the ECU maps to protect the engine and other systems. It m - Andy West from Bristol' '..." (28/04/2014 06:42:10)

Renault Trafic