Fiat Punto consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat Punto

Fiat Punto consumer reviews by year of make:1995 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009

Fiat Punto consumer car reviews

Connor Thompson, England

Fiat Punto mia 2000

Rubbish!

Submitted: 2013-08-04 | ID: 39209

Ian, England

Fiat Punto 2001

Do not even be tempted to buy a Fiat. I changed the plugs but oil was leaking into them. Next I heard the sound of water, so I changed the water and cured the problem. Then the bonnet release cable snapped. Then the windscreen wiper on one side stopped working. Today I saw a puddle of water so had a look at the water pump, which was leaking like a tap. It is the worst car that I have ever owned. I have had it for one month. I will never buy a Fiat again as they are made so badly it is hard to believe. I am expecting Candid Camera to say it’s all just a big joke. But no, it’s a Fiat!

Submitted: 2013-04-07 | ID: 39208

Jennie Jones, England

Fiat Punto 2009

The worst car I’ve ever had the pleasure of having. Had it 3 years from new and it has been in and out of the garage constantly. The power steering has gone, the brake pads kept wearing away quickly so had to keep having them replaced, the gears kept playing up so the car wouldn’t change gear (its automatic) and now the car smells of petrol everytime I put the a/c on or heaters and it’s over reving and not changing gear again! Terrible car, which I can’t wait to get rid of!

Submitted: 2012-07-16 | ID: 39203

Guy Press, Buckinghamshire

Fiat Punto I.2 Active 5dr 2002

I feel very sorry for the people who have clearly been ripped off by mechanics on this vehicle. It’s a very simple car to fix, evaluate and also cheap to repair and run. I feel that people who had bad experiences should look online! Almost all Punto issues are detailed here and solvable!! 45mpg minimum is achievable even when running at 85mph.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 39202

Malcolm Smith, England

Fiat Punto 2006

I have a Fiat Punto 2006 with 46000 miles. I have had it serviced by a local garage from new and keep it in a garage over night. My first problem was the exhaust tail pipe cracked and was replaced at 29000 miles, then one of the gear selector cables snapped at 34000, both were replaced at a total cost of £260. The cable that moves the front pasenger seat forward to gain access to the rear seats (2 door model) snapped at 39000 miles. I have left this problem for now. At 40000 miles the seat belt would not reel in (left that as well for now). At 46000 miles the power stearing has packed up; the 5 minute diagnostic check cost me £80. The worst news was that I require a full replacement steering column at a cost of £900 inc fitting and vat. This is a common fault so I will be lucky to find a good one second-hand. What is worse Fiat know about this fault and have never recalled them. I will never buy another Fiat as long as I live.

We have a 1998 Fiat Punto SX and the power steering has packed up at about 48,000 miles. Our mechanic said he will replace the whole steering column for £350 for a used one, but as the car is old, I think this will be ok. I think the price you have been quoted of £900 may be a bit excessive. It might be a good idea to get a few quotes and call parts suppliers yourself. Our cam belt also needs replacing now, as recommended and he will replace that for £150. I think there is life in the old dog yet though! - Monique Punto from Lancashire

I have a Fiat Punto 2000. I bought it when 5 years old and the only problem I’ve had is power steering. For the last year, it has been on and off. Now it’s off completely at 84,000 miles. One of the Fiat Franchise Garages that I know has quoted me £460 for complete new steering column. Not sure when to have it done or not as I also have some corrosion under the car which is another £300 and also cylinder head gasket has gone; another £200. when I add it all up, along with 2 new tyres for MOT purposes, I wonder whether it is worth it. It has been a very reliable car and am reluctant to part with it. What would other Fiat Punto owners do? - from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2012-01-02 | ID: 39205

Mo, England

Fiat Punto 2004

Stay away at all costs!! I bought it with only 13k on the clock. I needed to change the wiper mechanism, then the exhaust decided to come off whilst driving. Also had to have the radiator and fan changed. The thermostat wanted to leave the bonnet. The Pads and discs were gone before you knew it. Then the bonnet opener snapped. A problem water pipe next and oil leaking not to mention how the car rattles on the motorway. This car needs an mot on its 1st birthday because it isn’t road worthy. Never again!!!!

Submitted: 2011-09-01 | ID: 39204

James Goodhew, England

Fiat Punto 1.9 JTD ELX 2001

I have mixed feelings... As a car when I bought it, it had new fan belt and timing belt fitted, and seemed pretty roadworthy. I drove it some 12,000mi, during which the ONLY problem was the wiper mechanism stopped working (common problem, simple fix = drill hole in, add pin, weld shut - garage can do it ;) ). Then, I left it cold for the winter, while I went to Colombia. Asked gf to turn the engine over once a week, fine; she put a solar panel (12W) into the cig lighter and left it on the floor for me. She started up just fine after that, got a winter safety check on it and found front discs were shot to pieces - fair enough, I was mean to her, she was mean to my wallet!! Now then, 3k miles later she went for her 1st MOT with me. OH DEAR. New exhaust needed, and new headlamp ’cos I crashed and smashed the clips. £600 total, bought parts myself from breakers (new), £300 labour + £25 Halfords had to fiddle (washers were used!!) with the light to align it and make it pass. 2 days later, I crashed again - hit a curb at 30. Oil sump cracked, 1 breakeryard.com had one for £120. Needed feed pipe too, another £46, plus £60 labour and opening on a Sat charge from garage in Liverpool. AFTER doing the work, these ’clutch specialists’ told me the clutch would go in about a week or 2. I’ve seen a kit on Ebay for it at £90, plus approx. £200 labour I hear. Still not had a service yet, because I had to save up for the MOT/tax/insurance (£900 on their own!!) so couldn’t afford to keep the car if I’d serviced it. Now wish I had though, cos they’d have told me it was a heap and I’d have scrapped it. So, it’s a clown’s car above about 80k miles/10yrs old. Live and learn ;)

Stop crashing! It makes ’em last longer - Happy owner from Kent, England

Any car would’ve given you problems after what you put it through. I love my Grande Punto and it has already done 100,000km or about 60,000miles - from South Africa

Submitted: 2011-04-13 | ID: 39199

Disaster, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Fiat Punto 1.2 ELX 2001

Fix It Again Tomorrow!!! I owned one 5 years ago. That’s all I was doing with my damn Punto. It’s a total C**P! It had 35.000 kilometres believe me or not and all I was doing with it was fixing something.. I could service BMW M3 cheaper; Head gasket, water pump, thousand electrical breakdowns from servo to wipers etc. It costs a fortune to repair(Front wiper engine is around 300euros) You can’t even replace damn light bulb without pulling apart half your car. 1.2 Engine 60HP and it drinks gas like racing car. GOD FORBID!

Is there anything to get better fuel consumption? - Holy Fitzpatrick from Norfolk

Submitted: 2011-04-12 | ID: 39197

Malcolm Smith, Lancashire

Fiat Punto Active 8valve 2007

I have owned my Fiat Punto from new. I find it good in town and on motorways it usualy returnes 47 to 51 mpg and the engine never misses a beat. I have serviced it myself and have only put it in the dealers for a cam belt replacement. The only problem I have had to date is the gear cables snapped, which cost me £160 supply only (Fiat dealer prices) I fitted them myself that afternoon. All in all it has been a good car and a hard act to follow.

Submitted: 2011-03-13 | ID: 39196

John Bolton, Lancashire

Fiat Punto 1.2 Petrol 2000

Bought a X reg as a first car I learned in a Audi A1 and I love my Punto, it’s really nippy for a small car and looks really good compared to other people’s first cars. They only fall to bits if you buy them second hand from boy racers.

Submitted: 2011-03-07 | ID: 39194

H, Staffordshire

Fiat Punto 2005

The car was ok until it reached 35,000 miles and has had new radiator, water pump, brakes pads and discs (twice), cam belt, gear box, clutch (twice) and a problem causing the front tyres to wear down only on the inside of the wheel soon after being replaced (all of this in the space of about 12months). I would not buy a Punto again, ever!!!!!

Submitted: 2011-03-02 | ID: 39195

Paul, Cheshire

Fiat Punto hgt 2006

A 51,000 mile car that has had so many problems,it’s unbelievable; new crank sensor, new cam sensor, new cam belt, new lamda sensors and it still runs like a bag of spanners! It won’t tick over and keeps cutting out, and yes the throttle body has been cleaned, twice, so clean you could eat you dinner off it. My local mechanic is now saying it is the throttle body with all it’s electronic gizmo’s on it. Yes when it was running right it was sweet and fast too, but too many people seem to be having major problems with these hgt’s now, there are too many electronic devices to go wrong on them. I woundn’t encourage anyone to get a Punto hgt, but that’s my view, I’m sure there are lots of people out there getting smiles per miles out of their hgt.

Submitted: 2011-01-26 | ID: 39193

Charlie Miller, Sussex

Fiat Punto Active sport 1.2 2003

When I first saw this car, I had to have it! What a mistake!! I thought I’d be safe buying a 5 year old car with only 21000 on the clock I have the Fiat punto Active sport 1.2 and have had nothing but trouble. Firstly the airbag lights came on and under warranty I kept taking it back to the garage where they fixed it, a week later it would come on again, this happened numerous times! Other problems: gearbox leaked oil over the clutch, brake pads, discs, wipers, exhaust falling off, overheating fan....the list is endless! I’m too scared to drive further than 40 miles in it as the fan tends to not kick in properly. Only positive thing is when it is actually working it is a nice smooth easy drive!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-22 | ID: 39192

Colin Newill, Lanarkshire

Fiat Punto 1.9td jtd elx 2001

I have a 2001 punto 1.9td jtd elx. I am currently averaging 61mpg, it’s done 130768miles and is very, very reliable. It doesn’t use any oil, water, it’s got a lot of room for a small car (2door). This is my 5th Punto. All it’s cost is tyres and a pulley and steering motor. I am a very happy Punto owner.

Submitted: 2010-12-27 | ID: 39185

Craig Hinchcliffe, Staffordshire

Fiat Punto elx 2007

Don’t buy one! Not worth the money! I ain’t even got time to list the problems!!

Submitted: 2010-11-28 | ID: 39186

Callum, Essex

Fiat Punto Active MK1 2003

If I could give it no stars I would. One month into owning the car it needed new breaks and the wipers stopped working. Both were repaired. Then for 6 months it was a good car, not the best handling, but goodish speed for a 1.2, quite nippy; then the problems started. Water pump blew, causing my engine to overheat, had to rebuild the engine £500. New tires, new exhaust after exploding pulling away at a roundabout. Wipers broken again. Constant airbag light on even after being fixed. Replaced a bulb, same bulb needs replacing again. Lock for back window broken. Suspension is going. City drive (I thought was meant to turn itself off over 5mph) stays on. I can’t have cold air on. lights, well I might aswell not have any, or even better just hold up the light from my phone as I drive. Then today, on my way home from work, flapping coming from my engine when I rev, as if it’s going to stall if I go below 2000rpm, engine jumping all over the place. I think more has been spent fixing the car than what I paid to buy it, and much more than what it’s worth now. I think sometimes they can just last with few problems but every now and again they go all wrong. I did not expect so much for a car that had only done 56,000 though. Positives -mpg was good however, often exceeded 50mpg, but average about 48/49 depending where abouts I’m driving drops to about 45 if I go into the town. Comfort, electric windows, built in CD player, the mpg/trip miles/ trip time/trip miles left on petrol etc counter is very handy, decent size inside space and boot, 2 cup holders. You get alot for the money and it can be a good car but I wouldn’t risk buying a Fiat again.

2003 car is Mk2 - Mark Forrest from England

I had a mk1 Punto for 9 years and can say overall it was a good car. Wipers are poor and broke more than once but otherwise pretty good. The city steering in response to above comments switches off at 40mph not 5mph!! It’s designed for light use driving as well as parking and does work. Driving a Citroen C4 Coupe now which is a great car and has been reliable for past 2 years so will be replacing with another C4 Coupe - from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-10-05 | ID: 39187

Michael, Aberdeenshire

Fiat Punto 2.0 2006

Punto is a very good car but the 1.2 8v engine kept having problems so I decided to change it to a 2.0 stilo engine and that hasn’t given me any problems at all. It is easy to modify and to insured and good fuel consumption.

Submitted: 2010-09-09 | ID: 39190

Neil Raynor, England

Fiat Punto hgt 2000

I got my Fiat Punto hgt 6 months ago, it is fast & reliable and gives a very thirsty 34mpg if I drive steady.

Submitted: 2010-07-15 | ID: 39191

Dan Vernon James, Virgin Islands (British)

Fiat Punto 2001

This car is the worst car ever built, it’s rubbish ...absolutely rubbish. No one should buy this car unless they want to throw money away and be humiliated when it bloody breaks down. I have had mine for nearly a year now and have spent over £1500 just on repairs. Head gasket, wiper blades, brakes, engine misfires, overheating fan, and loads more I can’t even remember. And a changed engine as the last one started smoking and fried everything in the engine. After putting in a second hand engine, have had more problems, stops in traffic, usually at lights. Judders down the road in 1st and 2nd gear, oil light keeps coming on even though I’ve put in oil, engine cuts out leaving me breaking down either on a roundabout or at lights. Arghhh! Hate it, hate it, hate it. NOT RELIABLE AND WILL NEVER EVER BUY A FIAT AGAIN.

My daughter bought a Punto van 54 plate and I have never known a piece of cr*p in my life, wipers breaking, bonnet cable breaking, can’t get gears, rubbish. Good job I don’t own one, I will stick with my VW - Shaun Mac from England

Submitted: 2010-04-29 | ID: 39172

Dave Hill, Yorkshire

Fiat Punto 1.2 8 valve active 2003

My first punto and I must say I’m really impressed. Livley engine, amazing fuel consumption, upto 54.5 mpg doing 340 miles a week in comfort. Low tax, low insurance, what more could you want?

You are one of the lucky ones. I drive the same model but it was registered in 2006 and has covered 46,000 miles and has cost me a packet as the gear cables and electrics are poor. Best get shut at the first electrical fault - Malcolm Smith from England

My other half has a 2003 Punto 1.2 Sporting and loves it. It does 50+mpg, costs nothing to insure. is fun to drive and has been very reliable. Yes, it has needed an exhaust, brake pads and has a slight oil leak but its now an 11 year old car - what do you expect. I have offered to replace it but she won't let me! - from

Submitted: 2010-04-11 | ID: 39176

Marshall Bradley, France

Fiat Punto ELX Speedgear 2005

Had the car from "nearly new" and have now done 80,000 miles. Had new head gasket in early 2007 and as part of the front suspension spring fell off recently, have had that replaced. New battery also recently. A warning lamp relating to the Auto Gearbox recently lit-up but garage cancelled it and so far (1000 miles later) it has not re-lit ! Shall be sorry to see the car go, but travelling back and forth to France requires something larger, so off to buy a Citroen C4 Picasso later this year.

Submitted: 2010-03-31 | ID: 39175

Anto Hooper, Ireland

Fiat Punto 2001

Hi! I had a 98 punto before, it was perfect, never had anything wrong with it but I sold it for a bigger car (biggest mistake ever). I bought a Fiesta, good car but tyres kept bursting too easily. I then got a Fiat Brava, was again perfect but it ate petrol; I took it to a garage 3 times to get the petrol pump fixed but it never got fixed, always drank the petrol and it was only a 1.2. I then had a Lancer and all sorts was wrong with that so I swapped it for a 01 Punto Sporting, a lovely car, probably my favourite car out of the lot, but I did a straight swap for the 96 Lancer because my pregnant girlfriend wanted something smaller and cheaper. This was perfect except the day I got it I had to put in a new battery and two bulbs charged me 130€ for it in advanced pitstop, I only had 140€ on me and I travelled so far to do the swap lol. Because it was good on petrol I managed to get it home. I was in Dublin last week and I pulled up to a garage to put petrol in, went to reverse back out and the engine mount collapsed and broke two of the brackets holding the engine up, the engine fell and crushed the drive shaft, gearbox and brakes. It’s now in Dublin, where I’ve to collect it friday and the bill for repair is 400€, so I’ve paid 600€ in one week with this car for repairs. It’s due for it’s road worthy test 20th april and it’s no way near ready for that so I suspect another 200€ to get it ready. But saying all that I love Fiat, they’re my favourite cars. This Punto not only has comfort but it’s very quick on the move, brilliant on petrol and cheap tax and insurance. I can see peoples frustration with Fiat but I’ve heard their newer cars are brilliant so I’m looking forward to getting a job and buying myself a 2010 Fiat Punto. I have one question though, hopefully someone can help me; the custom 5cd disc changer in my car won’t work, it loads the cd up but won’t play the song, is this easily fixed or should I scrap it???  Also, the heater fan is not connected to the dash properly is this easily fixed because there is no heat in my Punto and it’s bad for my girlfriend? Puntos are a good car, just put a bit of money aside incase you need it because garages don’t like fixing Fiats so they charge extra for even having to try.

Submitted: 2010-03-17 | ID: 39174

Anthony Griffiths, Herefordshire

Fiat Punto Dynamic 16v 2002

I have read loads of reviews about the Fiat Punto 2002, and infact about all cars. Complaints here and complaints there. Its sad to see that car owners attribute errors to the car type. All cars break down, and the cheaper the car the more they break down. My Punto for example, has had 3 new exhausts pipes, 2 clutches, new hand break cable, a new sensor, because it wouldn’t start when it was warm and other small wear and tear stuff. The AA man has helped me start the car because of the above faults, 4 or 5 times. It doesn’t matter, the car has done 101000 miles and when it drives it is a great car to drive. Ok so the endless amounts of squeaks and noises, may become annoying, but I love the car’s handling, response time and overal driveability. There is not a lot of roll in the car, but the suspension is soft, makeing it a very comfortable ride. The MPG I can get the Punto to 55MPG, but average about 40MPG in the City. I was unlucky to have the number of faults that I had, but it doesn’t matter. I am a big fan of the Punto, and enjoyed driving the car, and I think people should stop complaining about how poor a model of car is, when it is really only a select few cars (of any make) that go wrong. I would buy a punto again quite happily. And I would probably encounter different problems, because its a different car, and not because its a Punto.

This is quite possiibly the worst review I have ever read!!!! "Yes my car is rubbish, it breaks down all the time, but I’d buy another one"..... Are you real???? It breaks down because it is a Punto, simple as. Never mind you can always Fix It Again Tomorrow :-) - Juan Carlas from Iceland

I agree totally Anthony, we have a 2002 Fiat Punto 1.2 16v Dynamic Sporting, very rare example. we bought it when it was two years old, 6 years ago, it has only done 43,000 miles from new after 8 years of going to Ireland and other places, well built for a cheap car, handling is fun and quirky and the size of the car is deceptive, it IS larger than you think. (5 Door). Best car we have ever had and hope we have it for a long while, I want it off my Mum when she is finished, my first car hopefully, I learn in july. If in any need for advise for your next car, here’s your answer - Matthew Longmate from Nottinghamshire

Submitted: 2010-02-24 | ID: 39182

Frank Wilkinson, Northumberland

Fiat Punto 2008

Fiat Punto 1.2 is a load of rubbish, it runs at 3,000 rpm off and on instead of ticking over. MPG is not even 38mpg where these people get 60mpg I just don’t believe it, driving on the flat at 55mph I can not get over 45 mpg. I had the car in the dealers they charged me £1,006.29p to change two sensers on the carburetor top part (its fuel injection but the thing that looks like the carb under the air filter. After 2 days went back no good revving again on start up they changed other sensors and tuned it £475. I went away, couldn’t get 45 mpg and the same fault. Went back and moaned I spent £1,500 here and the service and MoT last month, which cost £623 makes it over £2,000. WHAT A USELESS CAR THE PUNTO IS AND ITS ONLY DONE 30,000 MILES. THE WORSE CAR I HAD IN 50 YEARS MOTORING TOTAL RUBBISH I WILL SCRAP IT THIS WEEK.

This car was made for Italy, here we have Km not Miles. It is the way you drive, why don’t you drive a R.R. (Real Rubish). Are you sure you put petrol in the car? I have a Fiat Punto and I can only say it is value for money, it is very much like a Mini, great fun to drive! - Abby Normal from Italy

Hmmm, Frank, your driving is most likely at fault, because I average 52.3 mpg combined. As for rpm, no problems there either. I LOVE MY PUNTO!!!!! - Louise Pole from Scotland

Hi, well I am driving a Fiat Punto 1.2 8 valve since year 2000 and now it is nearly 11 years old with 111,000 miles and never missed a beat. All I have fitted is new battery and a set of front shocks. The car has been 100% reliable and does about 45 miles per gallon. It has been a great car so far and I hope to get 20 years out of it in total. I always changed the engine oil every 5000 miles without fail, maybe that’s the secret to a good strong engine - Tony McGowan from Ireland

Submitted: 2010-02-03 | ID: 39178

Toni, Northumberland

Fiat Punto 2001

HATE this car! My mother brought this car in 2001, by the time I past my test I decided to buy the car off my mum and have it as my own. Even though it lasted 7 years on the 8th year, everything started going wrong. The first problem was my gasket; the engine coolant light came on and it kept revving up. After this was the battery, which was then replaced. Following this was my HT leads, as every time i would get in the car, it wouldn’t start up properly. From this the starting motor went, this also had to be replaced. From that my car slowed right down when i was driving it & cut out, this was due to the timing belt, which had only recently been replaced when they did the gasket. Thinking that things were ok with it by now, my headlights started to dim even more! Then surprise surprise the car wouldn’t start again. took it to the garage, which seemed like the hundredth time were i was told that it was the alternator. replaced that! (also the battery AGAIN, as apparently it was scrambled by the volts) All was well for a month then then my car broke again!! Gasket again! Thinking that everything would be fixed, I decided to drive on the motorway (started not driving as much as was scared that the car would brake & i’d have to phone the RAC one again!) the engine coolant light turned red (which is normally when the gasket is on it’s way out) it then made a funny sort of creaking noise coming from under the bonnet while smoking wildly as I was driving. I then had to pull over on the motorway! Later, i found out that the engine needed replacing!! This was enough & i sold the car without an engine. After all the money, time & energy I have wasted with this car i would never encourage anyone to buy one! If you do, I’d advise you to get RAC breakdown cover as they come in REALLY handy!!!

You say it was a 2001 model.... That makes the car 9 years old when it started having trouble. What do you expect? They don’t last forever. I have a 2004 Punto and it is absolutely perfect! Not had even the tiniest problem with it! It is a joy to drive and insure, it looks the part over similarly priced cars in its sector and the 1.2 that I have is particularly economical. And at approximately £3500 when it was bought last year it was a bargain! Im sorry, but I can’t see how you can justify advising people to avoid the Punto based on your unfortunate experiences with a 9 year old car - from Perthshire

Hi,I have an 11 year 1.2 litre punto 8 valve. It has done 111,000 miles, so reliable, only fitted front shocks. It does 45mpg. A great car if you look after them. They look after you, make sure to change the oil every 5k miles and don’t drive it past 70 miles an hour, they prefer 50 most times!!!  Tony McGowan - from

Submitted: 2010-01-25 | ID: 39166

Kayleigh, Kent

Fiat Punto 1995

I can’t go out at night anymore because of the crappy lights, I can’t see a thing. Are puntos made with dim lights or something? I even bought bright bulbs and it seems the actual lights don’t let any light through, it’s so dangerous. I have a 95. Also, it keeps overheating and making strange noises but think it’s because it’s getting old. Does anyone else have a problem with night driving?

You will have your beams dipped, silly - from England

Hey, your lights are probably out of alignment, possibly due to a slight knock (that’s what happened to me, anyway!) - James Goodhew from England

Submitted: 2009-11-22 | ID: 39169

Chrissie Kelly, Sussex

Fiat Punto 2006

Great little car for running around town. Annoying ’vibration’ noise when driving. Seems to be coming from drivers side dashboard area? Garage cannot find where problem is anyone else had any problems? Also problem with the airbag light [drivers] staying on, can anyone help please...

Hi, my Clio had the airbag light on and my garage didn’t know what it was but eventually we rang Renault and they said that it’s where the wires are under the passenger seats. I had put a CD case and it had moved the wires. Maybe if you store anything under your seats then move it and adjust the wires to see if that helps? - Kate Duffy from England

I have a 52 punto and mine makes a strange noise as well. I think mine is coming from the radiator or something because it only makes the noise when I turn the heater on, which is all the time now. Yours might be the same thing? - from Lancashire

My mate brought a Fiat Punto and there was vibrating coming from somewhere. Her steering rack / power steering box needed replacing - Mark M from Leicestershire

Submitted: 2009-09-10 | ID: 39162

Lucy, England

Fiat Punto Active sport 1.2 16v. 2004

2nd punto after my original 1.2 8v....loved that and this made a tidy little upgrade, looks the part, drives a dream and is a fantastic run around for both town and long distance driving!

Submitted: 2009-07-09 | ID: 39211

Jennifer, Lanarkshire

Fiat Punto Active 1.2 Stripe 2008

Fiat Punto Active 1.2 Stripe - Bought my car in Feb 08 brand new - had no problems - very smart little car - more space than you would think - boot’s a bit small - road tax is cheap and fuel consumption is even better - an all round good car.

Submitted: 2009-01-07 | ID: 39210

Liam Gibson, Hampshire

Fiat Punto 1995

Car of the year in 1995, the Fiat Punto lives up to its recognition even now. With the 1.1 fuel injected engine ticking over with all the tightness of a car half its age. The car being Italian it is obviously not well built and were I to crash it I would be almost definitely dead within a second but you still can’t look past the sheer vitality and energetic nature of this all time great. As well as good looks the car has monumental speed still at its old age, with the engine managing 110mph even now. This car will one day be a classic and I know now that I love it to bits.

You will probably find most of them die from chronic electrical failure before they can become classic. The common fault being the airbag warning light comes on the power steering fails (costs £900 to repair) and water pump fails. These are just a few common faults, there are too many to list - Malcolm Smith from England

Submitted: 2008-12-15 | ID: 39231

Ben, England

Fiat Punto mk2b 1.25 16v active sport 2005

I have a 2005, mk2b 1.25 16v active sport Punto... It’s fantastic!

Submitted: 2008-11-25 | ID: 39233

Linda, England

Fiat Punto 1.2 Active 2003

Bought my Punto in 2003 with 199 miles on the clock. Has a full Fiat service history until this year when local garage did the pre MOT service and found the horn not working. I’m just about to have the faulty radiator fan replaced, all in all, not bad repair record for a 5 year old car. Really nippy around town and easy parking with the city steering on. My trusty little steed has taken me all around the UK both with and without the kids!! I bought my Punto after using the works one and guess what my next car will be - you got it!! A Punto :)

Submitted: 2008-10-27 | ID: 39230

Joe Fox, Lanarkshire

Fiat Punto 2002

Bought the car 6 years ago and I can honestly say that I have totally enjoyed it., A nippy wee car and it’s taken us up and down Britain over the years; Blackpool, Liverpool, Hastings, Brighton. Oh canny forget Saltcoats - all being well we will pick up our new Punto on Monday - can’t see us changing makes ever again.

Submitted: 2008-10-03 | ID: 39227

Anthony Bye, Yorkshire

Fiat Punto 1.2 Active 8 valve 2008

Have had this car from new, has had new clutch under warranty and cooling fan at 13000 miles. It gets serviced annually. Since then I find the car is a delight to drive, a nice gear shift, smooth and and quiet nippy too. Cabin well put together, no rattles. Overall, very pleased with this car.

Submitted: 2008-09-26 | ID: 39228

Stephen Booth, Leicestershire

Fiat Punto Sporting 16v 2000

I bought this wonderful car from new. I have had problems with the head gasket [as per other people] but I have been absolutely enthralled by its style [which still puts more modern cars in the shade] and its performance. It seems to have a restrictor that curtails rapid acceleration up to 105mph but its real character shows when you drop down to third from forth, the car just flies! Unlike some, I find the extra width of tyre on road gives the driver the feeling of sticking to the road. There is very little roll and it’s an absolute pleasure to corner in this very safe-to-drive and value-for-money superstar. I make any excuse to drive the thing - Fiat got the design really sorted with galvanised bodywork that doesn’t have a hint of rust after eight years! I’m keeping mine as I’m sure it will be a "classic" in years to come. Economy - even though it’s a 1.2 multi-point ’injection’ carb., I get fifty to the gallon on a run, wow! It’s all true...............

Submitted: 2008-08-07 | ID: 39229

C Smith, Yorkshire

Fiat Punto 1995

We had a head on crash with the back of a lorry in ours - not at fast speed 20/30mph and the car crumpled like paper. There seemed to be no safety in it whatsoever. Luckily the children were unharmed in the back, but the front of the car just gave way and the lorry demolished the front of the car where I was sat. Lucky to be alive - no thanks to the lightweight Punto.

The car crumpled like paper because it was designed to do so - the reason why you are still alive is because as the car crumpled it absorbed and dissipated the energy produced as a result of the opposed forces generated by the crash thus decreasing the force transmitted through the cabin into your body - from England

The guy’s got a point. I’m sure you would rather the engine was dead rather than your face, watch crash tests and you’ll see how it’s not really the car’s health that you should be worrying about - from Hampshire

They’re things called crumple zones, they take the force so the passenger cabin does not - from England

Submitted: 2008-08-04 | ID: 39223

Marc, Cheshire

Fiat Punto 2005

The car was good ... until I had a steering wheel failure while on a curve and the steering blocked and I crashed heavily into the wall ... this was on my 25000 km and the company said it happened after the crash .... and once the brakes pipe had leakage and I lost the brakes as well so I don’t think these things can happen with another brand at 25000km

Submitted: 2008-03-14 | ID: 39214

Janet, Scotland

Fiat Punto 2007

Only just bought the car this week, hopefully I’ve made a good choice plenty of room for 3 kids. Some reviews are good but on other web pages the reviews are pretty bad hope I’ve got myself a good car and that it turns out to be a reliable wee runner.

Submitted: 2008-02-04 | ID: 39212

Lisa, Yorkshire

Fiat Punto 2006

Love it. Small car, bags of space, room for the three kids and dog. Husband says he looks like a boy racer car but loves driving it also.</p> <p>Looks good , Drives well, Quick of the mark and feels safe. Allrounder family car thats cheap to run.

Submitted: 2008-01-04 | ID: 39213

Lisa Watson, England

Fiat Punto 2003

Love my punto - only just got it though so might feel different after a few months - one thing i have noticed is that it seems to be chugging a lot.

Submitted: 2007-12-19 | ID: 39215

Lee Brown, Wales

Fiat Punto 2003

I have owned my punto active 1.2 8 valve for 3 years covering 57000 miles.I have only had one problem the radiator fan needed replacing. I have a full service done every 10000 miles not the reccomended 12000 as I drive it very hard.

Submitted: 2007-11-19 | ID: 39216

Marc Attwood, Cheshire

Fiat Punto 2000

Head gasket has gone twice.

They do that if you put the wrong coolant in them. Absolutely essential that you put the correct FIAT coolant in the FIRE engines - from Ceredigion

Submitted: 2007-11-05 | ID: 39219

Nder Yasuf, Hampshire

Fiat Punto 1.2 Active Sport 2007

Reliable, smooth ride yet also quick off the mark. Spacious and nicely equiped with alloys, MP3 player and leather steering wheel. Stylish is the word.

Submitted: 2007-10-31 | ID: 39218

Aaron Hargreaves, Lancashire

Fiat Punto Active 1.2 2007

I have owned my Punto for 4 years and has been reliable throughout. I have had some problems in the last 6 months which is just normal wear and tear stuff that is expected with any vehicle at 4 years old and not had a lot of service history (oops). All in all it has been great and would consider getting the new punto as fiat have improved on looks and functionality recently.

Submitted: 2007-10-25 | ID: 39217

Pat, Cambridgeshire

Fiat Punto 2007

Great car, reliable, versatile. I learnt to drive in it. No troubles with it. Rides high so although it is a small car you don't feel you are about to get crushed when in traffic!

Submitted: 2007-08-28 | ID: 39221

Andrew, Derbyshire

Fiat Punto 2007

Having heard of previous build quality issues I approached the prospect of Fiat Punto ownership with a little trepedation I must admit! I have however been pleasantly surprised, a spirited engine, excellent interior space and touch wood nothing going wrong so far, have made buying the Punto a decision I haven't yet come to regret.

Submitted: 2007-07-24 | ID: 39222

• A response has been made to Dave Hill (04/06/2014 18:04:53)
  • A response has been made to Malcolm Smith (02/01/2012 20:05:27)

• "I have a punto grande 58 plate only done 40,000 when driving recently it sticks in 3rd gear or goes into neutral and says check transmissions see han..." (marian mcpike, 25/10/2014 00:48:28)
  • "I do not know how to turn on my fog lights. Please help me with this. Thank you ?? ..." (paul bell, 17/10/2014 21:09:07)
  • "I own an 03 reg Fiat Punto 1.2 and I have blue smoke coming out of my exhaust and the engine management light has just come on... Is this going to be..." (Jason, 16/10/2014 11:25:27)
  • "Hi, I have one small problem when I turn on my key my dash says HIGH OIL. I`ve thought of 2 problems, maybe my oil is on max level or my oil is not c..." (Zlatko, 08/10/2014 18:42:56)
  • "Hi, I have a Fiat Punto 1.2 16v sporting automatic and need to change the body control module. I've been told I can use a 16v manual body control mod..." (michael, 24/09/2014 22:00:14)

• Teresa jeacock 's question has been answered: "Hi Teresa, this is very likely a problem with the column stalk switch. what year is your car? I do have some replacement stalks in stock in the West M - Magik Joe from West Midlands' '..." (11/10/2014 09:27:43)
  • leilahbucbkingham's question has been answered: "Hi Leilah, this sounds to me like either driveshaft / cv joint failure or maybe a gearbox problem. I would be happy to take a look at it for you. 0798 - Magik Joe from West Midlands' '..." (11/10/2014 09:17:53)

Volkswagen Golf