Fiat Panda 4x4 consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat Panda 4x4 consumer reviews by year of make:2005 2006 2007 2009 2010

Fiat Panda 4x4 consumer car reviews

Joanne Douglas, England

Fiat Panda 4x4 2010

A good little car. I have always ben a little anxious about snow conditions; I live in the North East and I need a car that is reliable in the conditions. Moving up the gears is noisy, but I have got used to this. I will buy another Panda.

Submitted: 2013-03-24 | ID: 39155

Debbie Wilson, Aberdeenshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 2007

After all the good press on this car I can only assume I got a ’lemon’. In the last year I have replaced the prop shaft at a cost of £1300, 2 sets of shocks on both front and back, exhaust, rear axle bush link bar (don’t ask me what that is!) front suspension bushes, rear brake calipers at £240 each. The whole car rattles and clunks, I get one noise fixed and the next one starts. The drivers side window motor is also failing. I initially told everyone to get one of these as they are superb at getting through the snow here, but my advice is to replace it when the warranty runs out. I am only hanging on to it until I can face having another car payment.

Submitted: 2012-10-22 | ID: 39154

Peter Hillcox, Powys

Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross 2009

I live (out of choice) on a mountain in rural wales, access to me is via a poorly maintained lane much at 1 in 4. Recent winters have seen me either snowed or iced in leading me to look at 4x4 vehicles. There are lots out there and having rejected the un-green ones, the pretend ones, the expensive ones and the trendy ones I was down to the Panda 4x4 Cross. Following further research into this vehicle I decided to purchase and was lucky to get one of the last new ones in the country. It is an amazing vehicle. Recent snow and ice has shown how capable a vehicle it is. I spent 30 years driving Landrovers (mainly off road) as an estate manager so I know the limitations of even the best 4x4’s, given that, I think the Panda Cross ticks all of the boxes and more. There is a long list other good points including price, economy, build quality, relaxing to drive, it fits the bill as far as I’m concerned. Well done Fiat but you need to keep making them, and do a better job at promotion. This vehicle must be your best kept secret.

Submitted: 2011-01-12 | ID: 39150

Carl Parker, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 Cross 2010

Fantastic liitle car brilliant in deep snow and we have had a lot of bad weather recently. I am averaging 54mpg (diesel), so it is also cheap to run. Got a pre registered new car 4 miles on clock for £11000 so i think it is great value. You can’t seem to get them at the moment due to higher demand and a new engine is out soon so delays in the factory. If you get one you can’t go wrong, well done Fiat.

Submitted: 2010-12-24 | ID: 39153

Murat, Turkey

Fiat Panda 4x4 1.2 2005

I have the same rear break pads problem. The fuel consumption is a little higher than the FWD Panda’s. Instead of icy roads if you want to go uphill in a very rainy slippery road buy this car! You never loose the control when the power distribution is 50/50 between front and rear wheels. However, you need high revs to catch the 50/50 beacuse the transmission fluid needs to get very hot. 35,000 kms and no noise coming from the engine or the other parts of the car. Use to have a Ford KA before this, KA has a incredible grip for that size car, but I never expected Panda to be so. Also the acceleration is not satisifying but if you are respectful to the speed limits, there is no problem with the car.

Submitted: 2010-09-22 | ID: 39152

David, Yorkshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 2007

Although a great wee car, I had the same problems as John Russell above, After first year, rear brakes binding badly and loud squealing from them, they were ok after changing pads but have had the same problem every 12 months which must show some fault with design or manufacture. Otherwise very happy with car, bit slow on acceleration and very very small fuel tank, get about 40mpg which should really be better. This sounds more like a big moan but I love the wee car for all its faults and it is fantastic in the North Yorkshire Dales with our rotten roads and snow in winter. Buy one if you can, you will love it.

Submitted: 2010-09-17 | ID: 39151

Julie Smith, Sutherland

Fiat Panda 4x4 2005

Brilliant car, just what you want in a small 4x4. No complaints, in fact after 50,000 miles I’m looking to buy another one.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-01 | ID: 39140

John Ford, Norfolk

Fiat Panda 4x4 2007

After a lifetime of driving various cars I bought a 57 panda 4x4 for £5k. A great little, cheap to run, quirky tool, Who needs speed with one of these go anywhere motors? I’ve seen all the videos on Youtube and cant wait for the first snows to come.

Submitted: 2010-04-29 | ID: 39141

Janet Davidson, Inverness-shire

Fiat Panda 4x4 2009

We live in an area which has snow and ice every year, and at the end of a steep drive. I took delivery of my Fiat Panda 4 x 4 at the end of September and am completely delighted. It is very comfortable, light and easy to drive, holds the road well and will do any speeds I want - up to the limit. Since December 18th we have have temperatures below freezing, with since just before Christmas, up to 30cms of snow. The Fiat has been absolutely brilliant in slush, deeper snow and on slopes. It gives a great sense of confidence. Added to this, it looks so cute and makes everyone smile. If you need a small car for all conditions, buy this!

Like Janet, I will soon be moving to Inverness-shire and am looking to buy a new small 4x4 Jan/Feb this year. I would like to ask Janet her views on visibility as I will be driving a lot on single track roads and need to be able to reverse park easily and avoid any ditches at the roadside etc. margaretdon@tiscali.co.uk - Margaret Duffy from Perthshire

Husband kept going on about the Fiat Panda 4x4 but could never find one for sale in our area. Eventually found one an hour away from us. Just bought my Fiat Panda 4x4, collect it tomorrow. We live down a 1/2 mile single private road in the middle of nowhere and have had problems getting my Peugot 307 out during the snow that we have had. Did not want to pay over the top with running costs for another 4x4 just to reap its 4x4 benefits for only 1-2 months of the year. Did you put on special winter tyres and can anyone recommend tyres for winter use? - Else Mills from Aberdeenshire

Hi! We live on the North York Moors in the middle of a forest. Last winter in all that snow it never let us down. Chugged through the snow without a slip. Only thing was it slipped a bit on thick ice but then so does all other 4 X 4 s. Very dependable and reliable car - Peter Ward from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2010-01-01 | ID: 39142

John Russell, Shropshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 2007

I purchased my Panda in December 07 and have had three problems up to date October 09. 1, rear discs binding after braking, loud squealing. Resolved after 12 weeks. 2, after approximately 12 months a sound like a worn cam from 1000rpm on but not at tick over; this problem has not been resolved to date. I was told by Fiat UK that as it did not effect the running of the car I had to put up with it. This is not in the sales literatue that I read before my purchase. 3, loud knocking from the left rear wheel area, loose bumper fouling on tow bar, new rear shocks fitted, dealer now thinks it may be a sub frame problem. I noticed today that the knocking seems to stop when the brakes are applied, could the brake caliper be loose? Any answers please.

I’ve had similar problems with my Panda . Replaced rear brakes with Ferodo brand and no more squealing. Also after 12 months the car sounded like a ferrari at low revs, this was due to bad weld on the exhaust got it replaced and no more problems. On my car some knocking noises come from right rear wheel area after fitting a tow bar but nothing to be worried about, the main reasons for this is in many 4x4’s there is: raised suspension, rear diff, material tolerances, driving in hot or cold conditions, rear wheels being to much or or not enough inflated... On my car this knocking stops as soon as there is over 60 kilos of weight in the rear compartment. I took out rear seats in my car because I don’t need them so it is too light in back when empty . Also check out how do you inflate your tyres: 2,2 in front , 2,0 rear, this is very important! I’m from Slovenia , not NI - from Northern Ireland

Submitted: 2009-10-16 | ID: 39148

Geoffrey Hawthorn, Cambridgeshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 2005

Four and a half years, nearly 40,000 miles, not a single fault, no rattles, great style, and endless fun. An object of undiminished family affection. The car has done everything that’s expected of it and nothing that hasn’t been. For the occasional large load, I’ve rented larger cars; these have of course been faster, but none, including a nearly new BMW 3-series diesel on an Italian holiday, has been so intelligently designed or such a pleasure, in all conditions, to drive; among other smaller cars, an Opel Corsa, also nearly new, on another European holiday this year, was a revealingly coarse contrast. (A recent recall for a permeable ABS control unit is a mild irritation, but FIAT is dealing with this efficiently and of course, no cost.)

Submitted: 2009-09-23 | ID: 39147

S Williams, England

Fiat Panda 4x4 4x4 2006

Had one for a year, when my g/f insisted we had to do camping. I put a towbar on it for a box trailer, and behold - the perfect pocket camper. It snowed that year, the plucky 1.2 engine and winter tyres made the car so much fun I went out rescuing Land Rovers with it. I loved that car. The downsides were being cut up in traffic as it was so small, and a lack of motorway speed. Fuel consumption was high with the car struggling to make 45mpg. Otherwise, brilliant. Later ones come with the much better diesel engine. Buy one if you can. They’re perfect for country types. Sliding rear seat option best.

Submitted: 2009-08-26 | ID: 39146

Richard Sawyer, Somerset

Fiat Panda 4x4 2007

A great little car, fun to drive, cheap to run. No "locking diff" (I think?), no low range gear box (?), no bull (bars). Trundles across fields and up muddy slopes with apparent ease. Loves snow. Has been known to leave "Landie" drivers scratching their heads! If you need a "proper" 4x4 and also a very practical small car that can take friends to the pub and back, give this little Fiat serious consideration. Don’t be put off by the doubters - the internet has plenty of footage showing just where a Panda can roam! The only bad point is a "space saving"spare wheel - not much help when you have a puncture motorway. The tyres are "highway/ terrain" pattern, which some lazy fitters say can’t be got hold of - rubbish! They just take a few days to order but are needed to go off road. Finally make sure your insurance allows you to go in the mud - some don’t! This is the best little car I’ve ever owned!

Submitted: 2009-01-20 | ID: 39161

Sara Gifford, Norfolk

Fiat Panda 4x4 1.2 4x4 5dr 2007

Brilliant little car, on or off road it performs superbly. This is my second Panda 4x4 and still as enjoyable to drive as the first. Cheap as chips to run and you get all that off road capability - what’s not to love! Boot is ample for me and my partner but I agree it’s not huge so not sure how it would fare as a family car. A really fun car.

Submitted: 2008-04-21 | ID: 39157

Lynda Beard Lowe, Devon

Fiat Panda 4x4 2006

For a surprisingly small 4 x 4, this cheeky little chappie has a lot of guts. I use it daily driving down a narrow, muddy Devon lane and it has got me out of a few, what could have been, nasty muddy predicaments. Recently, whilst moving some gravel up through three of our field in the back of the car, it out performed my husband’s Honda CRV, which couldn’t quite make it past the muddy entrance! On the downside, you have to think ahead of pulling out as the acceleration is not very good, as already mentioned: 0 - 60 in 20 seconds. Also, the fuel tank is quite small [30 litres]. However, that aside, it is a good robust performer, although it could do with a more powerful engine.

Submitted: 2008-04-11 | ID: 39156

Ronald Lennard, Cambridgeshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 4x4 2007

I bought the Panda last March for my wife we love it we have had four before this one but they get better and better its auto or manual gears you choose i have a top of he range vauxhall over £18000-00 but i still love to drive the little fiat panda easy to park nice drive good looks inside and out, I highly recommend this to anyone who wants a good value car. I will get the diesel next over 60 mpg and £35-00 road tax can€™t wait.

Submitted: 2008-02-25 | ID: 39159

Raviv Goren, England

Fiat Panda 4x4 Israel 2007

An amazing car! Goes off road with all the big boys, and can get out and in narrow places and out of troubles easily. Surprisingly smooth and quiet on and off road, easy to drive, no high/low gears or any need to stop for differential locking... just keep on moving and moving easily! Each time i think that I’m about to cross its limit, i discover I’m wrong again. don’t get fooled by the catalogue specifications on it’s 20sec from 0-60/// i used to live with sports cars and now I’m in love. Even on highways it surprisingly good again, I do 75-80 mph naturally. Do your soul a present, buy one and start to enjoy life!

Submitted: 2008-02-01 | ID: 39160

Simone Heron, Derbyshire

Fiat Panda 4x4 1.1 8v Active 2007

Brilliant little car. Cheap to buy, cheap to run and can take some battering. Runs brilliantly in snow, rain or shine and is very enjoyable to drive. A good bargain, well worth the money, I’d highly recommend this car to anyone.

Submitted: 2007-10-27 | ID: 39158

• Steve Hunt's question has been answered: "Hi Steve, 12 mths RFL is £120 - Steve Hunt from Lancashire' '..." (05/11/2012 14:42:53)
  • Nigel Rollings's question has been answered: "Should be 185 / 65 x 4 T rated. If you can’t get replacements easily MyTyres.co.uk can supply various ones - Martin Wilson from Kent' '..." (02/11/2012 11:05:25)

Fiat Panda 4x4

1.2 - Need a 4x4 but don’t want to break the bank? Want to get your tyres properly muddy occasionally but don’t wish to be branded as some kind of maniac eco-saboteur? Fiat’s thrifty, diminutive and surprisingly capable Panda 4x4 could well be what you’re after.

Road Test Reports Says 3.5 star ratingFull Report