Fiat Ducato Maxi consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat Ducato Maxi

Fiat Ducato Maxi consumer reviews by year of make:2002 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011

Fiat Ducato Maxi consumer car reviews

Mrs Burton, Leicestershire

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2002

We have been the owners since new of this van and to be honest it has been a real good workhorse. We have done less than 70k and we had a problem with a gear box, but once done we have had no problems. We would recommend these vehicles to anyone wanting a workhorse. We are looking for a new one again as this is now outdated and is starting to rust on the body. All in all a really good vehicle.

What was the problem with the gear box? - allan kirk from Australia

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 38969

John McKay, Australia

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2008

The paint on the cab of my Fiat Ducato is flaking off. I would have thought it lasted a lot longer than 5years, but Fiat Australia, does not seem to be interested in doing any thing about it!

Submitted: 2013-02-10 | ID: 38971

John Webb, Somerset

Fiat Ducato Maxi Nu Venture camper 2008

Good on fuel, but the clutch gives off a smell when using it at half if bypassing slowly parked traffic on a tight hill.

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 38968

Mark Sainsbury, England

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2011

I bought this van new this year and so far I’ve had the the following problems, bearing in mind the van has only done 8000 miles: Clutch judder, clutch slips in 2nd and third gear, door warning lights stay on, side door keeps shutting in open position and floor mats worn through. Please save yourself and don’t ever buy one, they really are rubbish!!

Hi, well what can I say? 11,000 miles - now needs new gear box and replacement clutch!!! The fan sounds like it will fall off anytime and there are noises and burning smells coming from it... nightmare. Traded it in for a VW Crafter and I can’t praise this van enough. Buy German, you won’t be disappointed! - Mark Sainsbury from Hampshire

Submitted: 2012-01-02 | ID: 38963

A Rashid, Buckinghamshire

Fiat Ducato Maxi Maxi 2008

All I can say about these vans is they are just a piece of junk. I bought two chassis cabs to convert them into car transporter. I hadn’t even used them for couple of months when timing chain jumped on both in, with just a weeks interval between each other. They also had damage to the pistons, valves, cam and crank as well. Fiat gave an estimate of 8k to repair one of them! My honest advice for you guys is just stay away from these rubbish vans.

Hi, only wished I had read this before I bought one of these vans. Since my last comments about my van, Fiat have refused to replace floor mats when my van is only nine months old with under 8,000 miles, they say wear and tear! My suspension squeaks like I have 100 mice in the back and now I have knocking coming from the front. In dealers been without van for a week now. What have I done! Anyone else had these problems? - Mark Sainsbury from Hampshire

I brought my Fiat Ducato maxi back in 2007 from vans direct and to be honest I am well pleased with it. I have done over 177,000 miles and as long as you keep up the services, it should go for a lot more miles. Yes, there are rattles but what van doesn’t? I am just about to have a new starter motor fitted, and apart from tyres and brakes. everything else seems okay so maybe I’ve been lucky - Paul Smith from Kent

Submitted: 2011-11-06 | ID: 38965

Keith Massie, Australia

Fiat Ducato Maxi comfort matic 2008

Very good vehicle, spends about 40% of time on dirt roads. I do all of my own service. Have done 44000 kilometers. I have recommended this vehicle to many people. I am an electrical contractor.

Submitted: 2011-05-17 | ID: 38959

Peter Gengler, Australia

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2006

I bought one of this LEMONS new in 2006, to start work in my own Business. Before 2000KM, it would not start, Starter motor gone. During Warranty (3 years) I needed another 2 Starter motors replaced. Not to mention ,the Problems with the sliding Door!! Won’t close properly, and holding all the weight of the door just in the middle Rail, what a Joke. All the Parts that hold or close the Sliding Door, have been replaced now 6 times!!! Oh, not to forget the Heater Coil, which is under the dashboard. To replace it, the dashbord has to come out. This cost me around $1600. With it comes the inconvenience to have your Work interrupted all the time. Never, ever FIAT.

Submitted: 2011-01-03 | ID: 38960

JMC, Derbyshire

Fiat Ducato Maxi 160bh 3 ltr 2008

This is the best van on the road by far for style, performance, speed, payload, and superb fuel economy. As a courier have driven every van, big and small in the book, this is a serious workhorse and speed machine. Handles like a car, carries heavy loads evenly, with no roll. Fuel consumption is exceptional (without being chipped!) over 650 miles to a tank (mainly motorway) No difference in pulling uphill with a full load, it’s unbelievable! Doesn’t get blown all over the road like Sprinters do, in bad weather Perhaps has something to do with the 3 litre Iveco engine, 160bh and chassis! Good build quality and finish compared to Iveco. Not all the Ducato’s have this engine. However, there is a bad side, (thankfully only once), FIAT... Warranty and Customer Service is Non Existent Would buy this van again and again, just forget it when trying to deal with Fiat, you may as well tear up the Warranty<br /><br />

I was recently gifted a 2001 Ducato Maxi - have taxed, MOT’d it and it’s absolutely great as you say to drive. One thing worries me. On starting off the back is very low and noisy overy bumps for about ten minutes. Please help, don’t like to think I’m driving it doing any damage - Marion Lloyd from England

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 38961

Frank Sweeney, Ireland

Fiat Ducato Maxi 3.0lt extra long wheel base extra high roof 2009

I bought my van in July 2009 off a dealer in Northren Ireland. When it was delivered I noticed how low the exhaust tail pipe was on the van and stated it to the dealer that it would catch on the road. When i pulled out of the local filling station the exhaust caught on the kerb and fell down off the rubber mountings. I put it back on but it caught 5 more times, so I parked the van up 6 months ago and contacted the dealer. The dealer put me on to Fiat Ireland as he bought the van off them, they said the van would have to go to Sligo to be examined; it cannot be driven as the clearance is only 3 inchs between the road and tail pipe. I contacted Fiat Italy and they asked if it was modififed? Nothing has been done by the dealer or Fiat Ireland to rectify this problem. If anyone else has had this problem with the exaust please email me at mariabsweeney@o2.ie

Submitted: 2010-07-01 | ID: 38955

Barry Kiely, Northern Ireland

Fiat Ducato Maxi maxi van xlwb 3.0 160 bhp 2008

Hi. In feb 08 I bought a new Ducato van from the local Fiat dealer. After 3 months I noticed flaking paint. I reported it to the Fiat dealer and they offered to repaint, but i smelled a rat and got it checked by an engineer and found the van had no primer anywhere on the body, hence it would not be possible to repaint complete and get it back to new condition as it shoud be. Now 06/10 having stopped driving the van since march 09 Fiat have not fixed or dealt with the matter. I have spent thousands on engineers and lawyers, still no outcome. I have loads of pics and would like to hear from anybody interested or with similar problems. Please email me using irishstoves [at] gmail.com.

My Ducato is a 06 plate and I am now trying to sort out a seriously flaking roof and shoulders. Fiat are not interested because it outside of its 3 year warranty. Did you ever resolve your problem? I am very interested in the outcome of your dispute - David Chambers from Norfolk

Hi, I’ve had the same problems. Give me a call on 0783 148 4213 - Hugh Fitzgibbon from Kent

Submitted: 2010-06-11 | ID: 38956

William Friar, England

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2007

I love my Fiat van, it drives beatifuly and is far superior to a Transit, however, dealer support has been lacklusture to say the least and faults, particuarly to do with the central locking on the side door, have been described as design faults and not rectified even after 6 or 7 visits to dealers.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-14 | ID: 38954

Dennis Yates, Gloucestershire

Fiat Ducato Maxi ducati maxi 160 multi jet 2008

Had I done my home work I would not have bought this vehicle. It’s nice to drive on the freeways and main highways but I hit a medium to small dog on the highway and was stunned by the amount of damage. The vehicle is weak in body (plastic and tinplate) and there is no front end protection. I use the vehicle (a winnebago RV) to roam Australia and do not dare take it off a sealed road as it performs badly with wheel slip (they have tried to correct this with some stupid electronic device ,so they know about the problem.) The DUCATO MAXI VAN is a delivery vehicle so should be ok on all formed roads sealed and unsealed, weather permiting on unsealed. I have contacted FIAT and they informed me by email that I should not drive on unsealed gravell roads?????? Enough said. I rate this vehicle as poor for Australian conditions....I will be surprised if this report is ever published.

We have a Fiat ducato with a huge motorhome body, generally we run just under four tonnes. We have driven over thousands of kilometres of gravel roads. The body is not the best but the Fiat bit is wonderful. [It fills us with wonder]. Quiet and powerful smooth and starts after sitting for weeks, would heartily recommend after experiencing the battering given by Sprinters to occupants. Parts are expensive but that should be news to no one. Leaves all other M/Hs for dead in every way. And finally we don’t get bogged on sandy tracks, poor drivers can bog on tarmac. Front drive has been normal for seventy years and IS better - Michael Mullany from Australia

Submitted: 2009-11-20 | ID: 38952

John Robinson, Lancashire

Fiat Ducato Maxi Curtain Side 3.0 litre 160bhp 2007

Over 100kms. I have owned everything else but this is the best drive - bar none. I average 26mpg (no wind deflector). The only consumables are tyres, brakes, track rod end, oil & filter every 20k. Dealers not very well clued up but a real pleasure to use.

Submitted: 2009-09-11 | ID: 38951

Colin Nicholson, Cheshire

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2005

Yes, we found that too - drove to Portugal with a full load, motorway all the way, no problem - came down the steep hill to our destination and the brakes were nearly red hot, had to drive round on the flat road for a while to cool them down. Mad design.

Submitted: 2009-06-08 | ID: 38977

Keith Lappin, County Down

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2007

I have the 07 Ducato 130bhp. It is a very good van, pulls very well and the only problems are when reversing - you have to use the clutch all the time as it judders. I think the gear is to high.

You need to contact Fiat. Your van will need new improved engine mounting and reverse gear. This should be done under warranty by main dealer or approved Fiat garage - from England

Submitted: 2009-04-28 | ID: 38978

Josef Grech, England

Fiat Ducato Maxi Minibus 17 seater 2008

Best all rounder. The three litre engine performs extremely well with plenty of smooth power. Package competitively priced and finishing superb.

Submitted: 2008-09-29 | ID: 38976

Christopher Evans, Wales

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2.8 JTG 2006

I bought a second hand Maxi June this year (July 2006 model) I intend converting it to a camper. The van performed well around Germany. Took it over the boarder to Austria, over the Alps. It climbed very well, kept cool in the heat, but coming down the Grossglockner after 3 Kms the front discs started smoking, I was in low gear letting the engine do the work and correcting the engine revs with slight use of brakes. It took 45 mins to allow the vehicle to cool, to safely drive on, I had to use the hand brake to correct the engine revs, driving in 2nd gear as slow as 20 kph. I stopped at the nearest garage to check out what I thought must be a fault on the front discs. All is correct, just badly overheated brakes. I have since had it in Fiat dealer to find out all the brakes need replaced on newly replaced front discs. The problem? Too small discs on the front for a 3.5 tonne van, every time we do this the whole brakes will need replaced they said 1000 euro. The wheels do not allow for the air to pass freely to the discs to cool and the disc area is to small for the size of the van. What a crazy way to build a van 150 BHP and no brake power to stop a full loaded van. In Germany the front disc is bigger since the van is allowed to travel faster. In a country with mountains, because there is a restriction in speed, the brakes in the front are smaller. What a crazy company, build a van to go up a mountain but not to come down. And what a safety feature, yes they get off with it. Do I hear any driving clubs complaining about the biggest used van in the camper trade can’t come down hills!!! So you folks with a Ducto campers stay away from mountains, unless you come down less than 20 KPH and a bit at a time.

YES CHRIS EVANS, I too had overheating brakes in mountain country in my new 2008 DUCATO MAXI 3L common rail turbo charged (IVECO DIESEL FACTORY FITTED). I have found this vehicle pleasant to drive but VERY WEAK in body construction. I hit a small dog on the highway at 100kph, this caused lots of damage as there is no strong protection on the front end and parts cost an arm and a leg. I’m in AUSTRALIA by the way and would not like to hit a large red roo, wild pig or goat in central Australia where to drive at night is a hazzard. The vehicle is an RV. Had I not rushed in and had done my home work I would not have bought a FIAT, just getting the SELENIA WR engine oil is painful. All vechicles in the outback Australia have solid steel bull bars, but on this DUCATO there is simply no place to fit one. FIAT have a bar that is made out of thin aluminium and attaches to body parts, which costs an arm and a leg and is only good for cosmetic looks...a two year old could wreck it with a small rubber hammer! STAY SAFE - Dennis Yates from Australia

As all Norwegians, I’m used to driving up and down mountains. The rule is to use the same gear going down as up. One should never brake lightly, because then the brakepads are in contact with the disc all the time. Brake firm to you allmost stop - then let go the break totally until the revs come up high. Then brake hard again, and repeat. I just drove over several passes in the Alps with my Campervan which is a Hymer on a Fiat Ducato maxi with the 160 multijet. The car was 4000kg, and I had no problems at all - Halfdan Langfeldt from Norway

Submitted: 2008-09-17 | ID: 38973

Mark Vernon, London

Fiat Ducato Maxi 2.8 JTD lwb h/r 2006

One of the best lwb vans on the market. Good to drive and very comfortable. A real good all rounder.

Submitted: 2007-11-23 | ID: 38972

• A response has been made to Mrs Burton (10/02/2013 14:56:20)
  • A response has been made to Mark Sainsbury (02/01/2012 20:25:37)

• "I charged the battery on my Fiat Ducato Maxi and now I have no speedo and fuel gauge and no air con working in the cab. How can I fix it? I have chec..." (David Rushent, 01/04/2014 15:01:55)
  • "Can you tell me what the warning light to the right of the handbrake light on the dash of my Fiat Ducato Maxi is for? ..." (Gerry Harte, 21/03/2014 09:06:29)
  • "I have a 2008 Fiat Ducato Maxi multijet 130 autrail motorhome. The vehicle starts fine but after 2 minutes the ignition light comes on and stays on? ..." (Steve Northcott, 20/03/2014 14:50:28)
  • "I would appreciate any help with this. I have a 1997 Hymer B544 motorhome based on the Fiat Ducato Maxi chassis and am missing a side repeater lamp w..." (Tommy Regan, 14/03/2014 16:30:12)
  • "My Fiat Ducato Maxi`s injector/glow plug light is staying on. It flickers after about 5 seconds but doesn’t go off. Why is this? (motorhome 2.8 jtd)..." (Michael, 06/12/2013 11:58:18)

• Tommy Regan's question has been answered: "I had the same problem and stuck them in with grey exterior silicon hope this helps regards Steve if in doubt use silicon - STEVE from Yorkshire' '..." (09/05/2014 22:56:08)
  • Michael Wood's question has been answered: "Check brake light circuits, it could be a fuse or bulb. Also check any brake wear indication. I’ve just had a system fitted to mine (5 months ago). On - Kev from England' '..." (20/03/2013 08:44:21)