Fiat Doblo consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat Doblo

Fiat Doblo consumer reviews by year of make:2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010 2011

Fiat Doblo consumer car reviews

David Hepburn, Shetland Islands

Fiat Doblo dynamique family 2010

My doblo is my second and probably the last. This one is the new mk3 version and has not lived up to my old one. This one has now covered 40K miles and I am on my third set of rear shock absorbers due to the bottom bushes just wearing out. The ones fitted when new lasted fewer than 15k miles so I have just fitted the third set at 39k miles and these ones cost just £240 fitted and the car was of the road for 2 weeks waiting for them to come from Italy as there is none in GB and none in Italy HQ as well. The other problem is the oil filter housing leaking to fit at my expence £145. I really do not rate the new model and the service from main dealers is poor to say the least, for me to get to a dealer involves a 14 hour ferry crosssing and the overall cost excluding garage bill is about £1k. Parts that get ordered come wrong due to the dealer not being able to figure out the part programs from Fiat HQ. The warranty is only valid for 2 years and is at the discretion of Fiat on the third year - a long way from other car makers warranties. Customer service does not have any way to take a FIAT franchise off a dealer as I have asked this to be done to a major car sales garage in Scotland. On the Mk3 tyre, size is so oddball you may have a problem finding tyres to fit them, and you wonder why this may be my last Doblo ever?! P.S. Just in case I am having bushes made from polypropolene as I have spare shocker for fitting the next time the bushes go in about 8k miles I reckon from experience. There is no sign of any recall from Fiat to fix the bushes on the rear shockers problem and they do not seem interested. I am not happy!

Submitted: 2013-03-24 | ID: 38695

Andrew Ames, England

Fiat Doblo 2005

I had an ’05 plate, which had gear box problems at about 120,000 miles; the gear selecter went, but I managed fine with 4th gear missing till it was repaired. It had more gear box problems after that and went through recondition boxs like no tomorrow. The the turbo went at about the same time and second-hand recons didn’t last that long. No engine problems though, except the water bottle leaked a couple of times. It did go through a lot of tyres as the tracking easily goes out. Good on diesel,  easy to handle and with wheelchair space it was ideal. I now own an ’07 plate and also use it as taxi, but tyre wear seems to still be a problem, maybe because I make it lean round the corners?

Submitted: 2012-10-22 | ID: 38694

Firadus Sufee, Singapore

Fiat Doblo 1.4 petrol 2007

The 1.4 Fiat Doblo car my father bought is good and he has had it 3 years. He bought the 7 seater version. It has now over 100000km on the clock and has been serviced twice only, but the car has never broken down. It can travel very far even when fully loaded with people. It is still in good condition and some people say that it is very spacious. My father said that from the five previous vehicles he has owned that this is the best car ever.

Submitted: 2012-08-18 | ID: 38692

Graham, Essex

Fiat Doblo Eleganza 1.6 Multijet 2011

I recently bought the new model Doblo 7 seat Eleganza 1.6 Multijet with 6 speed box. It drives much better than it looks and I usually leave the car smiling. It’s usefully larger than the previous version; I got 3 scrap washing machines inside it, and I could have just about squeezed in a fourth. The height adjustable drivers seat is great, you can have truck driver or car driver positions depending upon your preference. I love the giant rear tailgate, even me at 6 foot 3" can stand under it without bumping my head. The parking sensors, cruise control, climate control and four electric windows are all ’nice to haves’. The economy is not as good as I had hoped as I’m only getting 45 mpg. The hill holder and stop-start are inconsistent, with them sometimes working other times not. The Car used to understeer in tight roundabouts so I changed the tyres and this is now okay. In my first 18,000 miles it’s been completely reliable. I bought it because it is one of the few vehicles that you can transport a large framed bike in upright and still have four useable seats and some storage left.

Submitted: 2012-07-17 | ID: 38693

Paul Myles, Sussex

Fiat Doblo 1.9jtd 2008

Bought as a pre-reg in 2008 and very good value at 11K from PDH in Hassocks, who were very good on after sales and warranty issues. The judder clutch was replaced in warranty, but now has gone a bit juddery again after 50k miles. If Fiat know what this is they are very tight lipped about it. The judder comes and goes, without rhyme or reason. Judging by the comments on line I will just have to put up with it until it becomes unbearable. Apart from this it really is one of the best cars I have ever had. Space, space, space, utility, tow ability, excellent vision, good ride and very good fuel consumption. I invested in a Parrot and 1k worth of sound system, plus towbar so I will keep it, I hope, for another four years. It did have some tracking problems, which have now been solved. What amazing value, it is worth circa 5.5k now, so a low depreciation. If Fiat definitely sorted (judder) the clutch thing out I would definitely buy a new one, there is nothing to match it!

Submitted: 2012-02-19 | ID: 38696

Sandy Murdoch, Durham

Fiat Doblo 1.9 Multijet Dynamic 2006

This is my 2nd Doblo. Part ex’d the first one after 120k miles for this one which had done 17k miles. It has been just as dependable as the first, but has let me down once; something electrical had corroded, but the car was out of warranty. My dealer was/is OK but a good nag with Fiat Customer Services got me a £200 voucher against servicing so... Like the first, it is very sensitive to front tracking. It is easy to go through front tyres quickly if you keep kerbing the car. I find it one of the most comfortable cars I have ever driven; I’m 6’4" and have never suffered back ache in it. Yes it rolls around a bit and yes it looks like a brick, but I cannot think of anything I would replace it with. The new Doblo looks too big, I would ideally like 4x4 for Northeast winters and maybe a longer top or 6th gear as the mpg falls on motorways at anything over 70 thanks to the hopeless aerodynamics. But generally it indicates about 48.8. Also, like the old one, the indicator forgets to cancel itself and you cannot hear the click! Ditch the o/e radio but keep the speakers as they’re not bad. I’m not surprised so many taxis up here are Doblos. Guess I’ll keep this one for a good while yet. This is my 6th Fiat, I really have never had a bad one. Just don’t start me on my Citroen traumas.....!

Submitted: 2011-08-03 | ID: 38697

Roz De-layen Vian, Somerset

Fiat Doblo 2.9 Turbo 2004

Love it! I have owned several so called luxury cars, but use mine to ferry a group of four friends on photo trips from Cornwall to Scottish Highlands and all over UK. Most economical car I have ever owned and I have a heavy foot! It’s truly comfortable on long journeys both as a passenger and driver. Ex-police driver friend and a car mech recently shared the journey to and around the Highlands. Fought for chance to drive it as hugely impressed! One of the group is a Berlingo owner and was also very impressed. Forget the look and consider space, comfort and economy as more important! It’s no slouch either!

Submitted: 2011-04-28 | ID: 38691

Tom Butcher, Derbyshire

Fiat Doblo 1.9 Diesel 2001

Bought this used around 5 years ago and have put over 50,000 miles on it. First the good stuff - it’s big on the outside but massive on the inside - we go camping with masses of stuff, three kids and a dog and it swallows it all. For the size of car it’s cheap to buy and cheap to run. We had an old Volvo estate previous to this and the Doblo holds more. It’s been relatively reliable - never left us standing by the roadside and no massive repair bills. Height makes it easy to spot in Sainsbury’s car park! The bad stuff: You need to thrash it to get any kind of acceleration out of it - fully loaded on some long drags on dual carriageways you have to drop a gear and put your foot to the floor just to hold 50mph. Mostly it’s OK though - especially if it isn’t loaded and you don’t buy one as a sports car. Some of the newer models are a lot more pokey and just as economical. Whilst there have been no big repairs there have been a fair few little niggly ones - often to do with the door switches and suchlike - the sliding doors are good but seem to be a source of glitches. Inside is cheap and cheerful - if you like your luxury this isn’t for you - if you want it as a working vehicle and aren’t houseproud then maybe it is. Would I get another - yes - because I need the space and I’m on a budget. If you want a drivers car and don’t need quite so much space you’d be better off with a traditional estate.

Submitted: 2011-04-07 | ID: 38690

Bill Wade, Durham

Fiat Doblo 1.4 Active 2006

Bought this MPV because of its value for money and front passenger foot space (my wife is disabled and the Berlingo was rubbish in this regard), and I have not been disappointed. In just over 3 years I have covered well over 40,000 miles both in the UK and abroad without even a hint of a problem. The dealer, GMD Durham have been spot on. The most annoying things about the car are the non-swivelling sun visors which are very poor in low level sun situations, and the rather van-like ride for rear seat passengers. Would I buy another? Probably, if I get a similar purchase deal.

Submitted: 2010-10-21 | ID: 38688

Morando Bertoncini, Ayrshire

Fiat Doblo JTD 2003

This car ticks all the boxes for carrying and being versatile, very economical I had have mine since new traveled the continent every year and every year something happens.The turbo failed had to replace it and the catalytic complete exhaust, (not funny driving up the mountain roads at 20 mph). The next year the bearing on the drive shaft, the wiper mechanism had to be replaced, the clutch at 60k and finally I had to replace a head lamp bulb; the holder broke it cost £250 to replace then the radiator started to leak £350 to replace. The last MOT the rear spring bushes had to be replaced, oh no they come complete with the springs very expensive don’t have the bill in front of me. New battery. This car has been serviced at a Fiat franchise, oh yes it has covered 86k the body is in better condition than the mechanics, how can I sell this car with so many new parts on it?

Submitted: 2010-08-25 | ID: 38689

Anne Greenwood, Yorkshire

Fiat Doblo 1.3 multijet 2008

I have had a Fiat Doblo 1.3 multijet from new, 2008 as a motability vehicle. From the first day of driving the vehicle the door sensors were showing doors open, buzzing and even your indoor lights flashing when driving in the evening. I have had to turn the alert buzzer off via the menu system as it was driving me nuts. Had the rear door lock replaced, no different. ABS failure alert when starting up and periodically getting air bag error, resetting of the date time and mpg data etc. Obviously to me it certainly seams an electrical fault. But getting a solution seems bleak. Accelorator pedal sticking. Been back with it to the dealers without much success. This is a shame as otherwise I would have found the vehicle ideal for my mobility needs. It’s comfortable, plenty of room, and great boot space. The size of the engine is pretty good for a 1.3 engine and it drives well. The customer service is very poor from Fiat, I certainly will not be looking in getting another one. The 2 rating is because I have so far not had a solution to the faults in question.

Submitted: 2010-03-11 | ID: 38686

Ben Bovan, Derbyshire

Fiat Doblo jtd 1.9 family 2007

Rubbish! Dealers unhelpful, spent last 6 months in and out of the garage with particulate filter problems. The dealership tried to charge me £1600 although the car was in warranty and had only done 17000 miles. Threatened legal action and it was fixed by "blowing a bit of air down it"... It broke down 5 miles later. Please do not buy any kind of Fiat, the dealers are unsupportive (Sunwin of Derby) and the car is simply terrible. You have been warned.

Submitted: 2009-09-22 | ID: 38687

C Oakley, Gwynedd

Fiat Doblo JTD Family 2005

Would have had much better rating until last August, three weeks after warranty ran out. That’s when the water pump went damaging the cam belt. Both had to be replaced - which I was told was very unusual for age and mileage of car (I do about 16K per annum). So far this year I have replaced tyres due to faulty tracking and they’re still wearing unevenly, had to have rear door lock seen to (for second time) and one of sliding door catches... had to replace cat on exhaust (quoted literally twice as much for part by dealer than Kwik Fit), rear wiper motor sticking and advised I should replace (front one went after only two years though it wasn’t the motor that was at fault but a mechanical part, but you can’t get just that)... and now ,apparently, two weeks after full service (minus 70K cam belt replacement see above) and one day after passing MOT the EGR valve needs replacing or car won’t start from cold. AARGH. All this is approaching £1000 spent in just over a month. Other than that the car has done just what I want and is a lot of space for the initial price - but spares, blimey don’t they make up for it then... Very reliable for first 50K miles thereafter it’s been a bit of a nightmare. I would replace it, but maybe it’s one of those that needs replacing before the warranty runs out despite what you lose in near instant depreciation...

Hello, I had the EGR thing scare, changed to a new more powerful battery and now it’s gone. Still, the dealers should know this detail - Gildas Dubois from France

Submitted: 2009-07-16 | ID: 38699

Steve Walker, England

Fiat Doblo JTD 2002

I have run my Doblo JTD since 2002 & it has covered 100,000 miles & never let me down. It was given a new battery & exhaust this year but has cost me nothing else other than servicing. In the meantime I have a run a Skoda Fabia vRS, Porsche Boxster & Renaultsport Clio 172, all of which have let me down in different ways at different times. The inside is huge, performance is adequate, fuel consumption excellent & it looks like it will run for many miles yet. I have even taken it for 5 laps of the Nurburgring. I love it.

Submitted: 2009-05-12 | ID: 38698

Peter Scott, Lancashire

Fiat Doblo petrol mpv 2007

Petrol version does 40 mpg if you drive like a granny. Good for developing patience and understanding of other road users, who drive inferior vehicles. Or not as the case may be. Juddery clutch, v. light, requires a few revs on take up same as some other cars. On the whole, good and comfy for arthritics etc. Will get another.

Submitted: 2008-09-15 | ID: 38701

Sue & Rob, Suffolk

Fiat Doblo 2008

Have had our Doblo from new in April 2008, please with vehicle but not dealer. Day 1 couldn’t lock as dodgy sensor on back sliding door-obviously not PDi’d properly, also hardly sent out properly de-waxed and cleaned for a new vehicle. Loud clunck when steering on full lock-service manager said Fiat ’know about it’ and are working on modification-wait till 1st service. Since then clutch noise/burn and smell. Dealer have now booked in to get both problems sorted under warranty-want car for at least a week, it goes in next week-will keep you posted.

Submitted: 2008-09-03 | ID: 38702

Diane Whitworth, England

Fiat Doblo Doblo 1.9jtd Active 2007

Disgusting customer service, noisy gearbox and clutch judder from new, Fiat could not diagnose correctly so advised to let it develop! Once the vehicle is 12 months old the clutch is no longer covered by warranty - beware. Terrible ride, if you want an MPVdon’t buy this and expect a car it’s most definitely a van, not a car. We had a Berlingo before it and would recommend the Citroen but no way buy a Fiat. The 1.9jtd is noisy, thirsty but provides good performance.

Submitted: 2008-07-23 | ID: 38703

Jim Hassett, Yorkshire

Fiat Doblo 1.9 2007

Bought the car in July 07 from evans Halshaw (Fiat) Leeds. (06 model) very happy with the car (van!) not so happy with the garage! I have had a problem with the clutch since day one! I have been told by a garage (not fiat) that this engine had a recall problem with the clutch (judering when starting off!) but it was repaired under warranty by Fiat, has anyone any knowledge about this? I would be very grateful for any feed back as the Fiat garage are quoting me £700 for a new clutch!!! (other garage £200!!!) I am starting legal action against the garage as the fault was present from the day I bought the car. If you can offer any help / information call Jim Hassett on 07900322321, or e-mail at alan.hassett@ntlworld.com thanks. 5 seater car..

Submitted: 2007-10-29 | ID: 38705

John Grimley, Buckinghamshire

Fiat Doblo 5dr MPV 2007

06 plate dobbin now 19 months old. I have to say that this is a fantastic car. Being on the large side, I have always found problems getting into and driving cars - the smaller cars seem to have more room for the driver! but they are no good for the family. Plenty of room for five adults to sit comfortably (all above average height/weight) (one guy has a range rover said he had more room in the doblo!) Been away a few times. Two big teenage lads in the back plus a labrador, a boot jam packed with cases, tents, food. Three bikes on the back & the 1.9jtd could still shift on the motorway. Fuel economy is hit and miss. Supermarket fuel delivers 400 miles to the tank around town and similar on a run - usually foot down on the motorway though. Branded fuel has given me 40 - 50 miles more around town. I generally let the tank run down until the light comes on & that usually takes 10 gallons to fill. (book says the tank is larger so I reckon the light comes on too soon - not necessarily a bad thing) It is possible to get more out of a tankful but the 1.9 turbo diesel engine has so much poke it's difficult holding back when the boy racers sit beside you at the lights. Official figures give a 0 - 60 in terms of days but I've left many a car standing - which also explains the poor fuel economy. This is the first car I have been able to drive without having the seat reclined - there is masses of headroom AND I can step into the driver's seat (rather than trying to shoehorn myself in). The only downside for me is the plastic trim around/under the gearstick digs into my leg - but that is really down to my size & not bad design (I'd have had the gear lever coming out of the dash!). In my opinion, this car beats all the other MPVs hands down - similar in length and width to the sharan, zafira etc but with loads more interior room due to the lack of padded trim (ok, it's cheapo trim), but there is also loads more height. In my opinion, this car beats all the other MPVs hands down - similar in length and width to the sharan, zafira etc but with loads more interior room due to the lack of padded trim (ok, it's cheapo trim), but there is also loads more height. These have been around 6 or 7 years now & I know one owner who has gone beyond the 1/4 million miles mark in a 3 year old & still going strong. These babys are thashed as taxis as well as commercials and they just keep on going. Only downside so far is the rear light clusters can be awkward to remove - if you aren't careful, you lose one of the nuts into the bodywork, and some work under the engine can be awkward according to other owners but otherwise, you can't go wrong.

Submitted: 2007-09-24 | ID: 38704

• A response has been made to C Oakley (16/07/2009 09:32:57)

• "Heavy loss of coolant. Got to top up almost daily. There are no signs of leakage though. Had put a clean cardboard underneath the engine area, but th..." (Sharief Bobo, 18/04/2014 08:32:32)
  • "I was removing securing nut from rear light cluster when number one son ran out to ask me a question and hey I dropped nut inside cavity never to be ..." (andy barrett, 14/04/2014 23:23:48)
  • "When my 1.3jtd has reached optimum engine temp and when i brake to slow down esprcially on a down slope the idling speed drops to about 600/650 and a..." (George McDermott, 13/04/2014 20:43:42)
  • "I have got a Fiat Doblo 1.3 diesel. Every now and then it will drop into limp mode which could last for 20 miles or 200 + miles, then it resets and r..." (Tony O`Neill, 04/04/2014 09:47:32)
  • "In reverse gear and all other gears my Fiat Doblo has a shifting problem and it’s not smooth. Can anyone suggest why? ..." (Afroz Mulla, 03/04/2014 08:49:30)

• Polly Parsons's question has been answered: "I had same prob turned out was leak from turbo - George McDermott from South Lanarkshire' '..." (16/04/2014 13:25:05)
  • David Carter's question has been answered: "Ignition on/running lights are set by settings on/off and yes when you turn on lights (headlights are the only option) tail lights come on. I thought - Dave from Essex' '..." (27/01/2014 21:44:28)

Fiat Doblo

1.6 and 2.0 MultiJet Eleganza - The passenger Doblo was launched back at the turn of the century and despite its unappealing appearance, Fiat has since sold a million of the van-based models across the globe. 2010 heralds the launch of the all new Doblo, and with its refined appearance and interior, better engines and even more sp [...]

Road Test Reports Says 3.5 star ratingFull Report