Fiat Croma consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat Croma

Fiat Croma consumer reviews by year of make:1996 2003 2005 2006 2007 2008 2010

Fiat Croma consumer car reviews

Tom Cobbold, Cambridgeshire

Fiat Croma 1.9JTD [150] Eleganza 2007

Bought at 2 years old with 28,000 on the clock for under £6k with full leather. It had been £19k new. A few problems: The rear tyre wear was certainly an issue on Continental sport contact tyres, not so since with Goodyear NCT5 and uprated dampers. An alternator gave out, a rear suspension coil broke, the interior plastic finish is poor (glove box door broke, sun visor tries to fall off, drivers left foot rest falls off, gear lever indicator falls off). It’s clunky over bumps and the handling isnt terrific due to the car’s height and the lacklustre chassis, but you know for the money it’s been good value in the 3 years I’ve owned it. I plan to run it 2 years more and (touch wood) total ownership costs will have been under £150 pcm even if I dispose of it for nothing. I only get less than 45mpg though and I don’t drive it very hard. But it’s big and comfy and ideal for long runs. The engine is certainly the best thing about it.

Hi. I have a 2007 1.9 multijet also owned from new had a couple of things go wrong cruise control stopped working turned out to be brake switch also just today battery light came on took it to Fiats who look after my car they said looks like alternator problem lets hope that’s all it is I have got 63 mpg on a run which I think is very good love the car even though you don’t see many on the road. - Don Utton from Kent<br />

Submitted: 2012-04-16 | ID: 38666

Sharon Waring, England

Fiat Croma Multijet 2005

We have had the car for 5 years and we have had lots of things go wrong with it. We have had to have new back brakes and two new batteries in the first year. Then the servo went and then the ECU was replaced. Just before Christmas last year a new alternator was fitted. Now the front suspension spring has snapped and the ECG valve has gone. It has cost a fortune to get it all fixed.

Submitted: 2012-03-23 | ID: 38669

Joseph McCullough, Ireland

Fiat Croma 1.9 multi jet diesel 2003

A great car to drive, reliable comfortable and cheap to run, was driving a 2007 diesel Passat but this is a better car to drive. It’s had no major faults; wiper motor failed, turned out to just be a linkage, but had to buy the whole unit, got it second hand one from a web site. Hand brake is a bit awkward to use at times with the big centre console in the way. Returning 47/57 mpg and the engine has 120k. Runs lovely, would buy another. and you don’t see many of them on the road.

Submitted: 2011-02-23 | ID: 38661

Joseph McCullough, Ireland

Fiat Croma Eleganza 2010

A rare car in Ireland, but that adds to Its appeal, wonderful to drive and great on diesel 45/55mpg. Problems: A few minor ones, a knocking when going over pot holes, haven’t got it looked at yet, but the pot holes here are huge! So no surprises the car has a knocking sound. Plenty of leg room, comfortable to drive, good sound system and great diesel engine. Boot is big enough, would I buy another, Yes... Drives better than the new Passat and is a cool looker too.<br /><br />

Just check the locking system of the luggage door for knocking problems - from Italy

Submitted: 2011-02-08 | ID: 38662

Richard Clist, Somerset

Fiat Croma Eleganza 2006

Bought second hand 1 year ago. Superb value when compared to similar 2nd hand vehicles (Modeo Volvo were £2.5-£3k dearer) Confortable, quick and fairly good on fuel. I have had a couple of problems but both fixed by dealer (under warranty). Excellent service from these. The car is unusual, its fairly rare and its very spacious. Model 1.9TD Eleganza. Will keep this car.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-11-08 | ID: 38665

Alex Higgins, Ireland

Fiat Croma Eleganza 2007

Generally I’m very happy with my Croma, 100,000km on the clock and the only problems have been the boot release broke twice but covered under warranty, use the remote and not the button on the boot and you won’t have a problem. The most luxurious FIAT I’ve ever driven and really comfortable for long journeys. Fuel consumption is very good for such a big car, I’m getting c.16km/l average and >19km/l @ motorway speeds of 120km/h. I hear everyone in UK complain about their FIAT dealers but in Ireland they’re absolutely excellent, courteous, professional and all problems are sorted under 4yr warranty so I can’t complain.

Submitted: 2010-11-08 | ID: 38664

Richard Clist, England

Fiat Croma Eleganza Automatic 1996

Purchased Nov 2009 from Fiat Dealer, 46000 mls £5250. Brilliant value. Had to return to dealer due to suspension noise which was sorted under the 1 year warranty. No other issues. A spacious quality motor which is very quick and economic on runs. You will not find an equivalent vehicle of this year for less than £7k in my view. If you see a good one go for it!

Submitted: 2010-07-01 | ID: 38658

David West, Fife and Kinross Shires

Fiat Croma 1.9D 2006

Have been driving the Croma for 4 years (bought new in 2006) and have only seen a handful on the road. It has the ’rarity’ tag. As with all cars it has its advantages and disadvantages. The ride is comfortable both in town and long distance. Consumption is between 40-55mpg (diesel1.9D). The 55 mpg is easily achieved on motorway at steady 65-70mph in 6th gear. Parts are expensive so better to source them yourself rather than asking the dealer (for example the back tailight costs c. £70 but on e-bay price is as low as £25). Front tyres wear out yearly (15,000-18,000 miles) and I have had to replace the front wiper motor. The main selling point of this car is its comfortable ride, good consumption and above all else there are very few out there.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-05-29 | ID: 38657

Brian Cohen, Lancashire

Fiat Croma 1.9 Auto prestige 150 2006

I bought this Croma (new shape) my 5th so I’m used to them, second hand with 25’000 miles on the clock, it now has 110’000 miles . A great car easy on juice 45/50 mpg on long trips I’ve had very little trouble: new front springs (Lancashire Potholes ), new tires 30’000, rear 25’000 front, NOT BAD. My other cars lasted a lot less. Extremely comfortable, fast, easy driving (thank God for cruise), which is excellent. I would highly recommend this model to any executive salesman or rep, who wants to travel distances in relaxed comfort. I bought it for half the retail so overall I reckon this was Top value for a Top Car.

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 38656

Debs, Essex

Fiat Croma 2007

Bought our Croma 3 years ago. Although nice to drive it’s had so many little faults with it; boot lock braking twice, door handle broken, switches falling out, but besides all that a lovely spacious car to drive. It’s a shame most Fiat dealers are not very helpful when it comes to its issues!!!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-19 | ID: 38659

Wayne, Yorkshire

Fiat Croma 1.8 Dynamic 2008

Had the car two years now, all ok apart from the boot door switch not working from time to time but I’ve found a way to make it work by tapping the door handle above the switch it works give it a try. The next problem is the gutless engine in Yorkshire we have plenty of hills and this engine hates them. There’s no torque what so ever so to achieve a moderate hill you have to drop two gears. It’s a must to keep the revs above 2000 rpm. It’s supposed to have 140 bhp but i’ll be damned if I can find it. Avoid the 1.8 petrol model. Apart from that the car is a beauty plenty of room, well kitted out aswell for a dynamic, very good on long distance runs. Fuel consumption could be better though. If I was to buy another I would definitely buy the 150 jtd.

Submitted: 2010-03-15 | ID: 38660

Bob Kilsby, Warwickshire

Fiat Croma Dynamic 120 JTD 2006

So far so good. I have owned the Croma for 6 months now, I picked it due to it’s size / value for money / rarity. I have had a couple of problems, the boot door switch has stopped working and the RH indicator occassionally will not stay on plus there is a rattle from the front offside suspension - I haven’t investigated this yet. Overall I love the car, I get an average of 47 MPG with mixed motorway / urban driving, very comfortable and relaxed 6th gear cruising on the motorway, which is great for long journeys, the dealers ARE useless (nothing new there?), but what a pity this car is not still sold in the UK. I think people here do not realise that Fiat’s are great cars.

Submitted: 2009-08-03 | ID: 38655

John, Northern Ireland

Fiat Croma 1.6 Mjet 120 Dynamic 2007

Picked up my used 2007 Croma (Ex Fiat Staff Car) for a huge discount off normal retail. Very happy with the car. I had a 120 bhp Alfa 159 when they came out and strangely I think the build and drive of the Croma are better suited to our roads. The drive is great, no fatigue after long runs due to great seats, acceptable levels of road noise and a good stereo. The 120 bhp is plenty of power I find I have to keep my eye on the clock on main roads, fuel ranges from 39mpg to about 47mpg on motorway driving which is very good for a car this size. I live in the Republic of Ireland and it seems the service here is a bit better than in the UK thankfully. But so far so good very happy with the car and no hesitation in recommending one to anyone thinking about picking one up second-hand!

Submitted: 2009-04-01 | ID: 38685

Martin Clare, Cheshire

Fiat Croma 1.9 tdi Dynamic 120 2006

Have enjoyed 3 years trouble free running with this car. Tyres lasted 20K miles - driven without extra care. Averages 36mpg . No complaints; given good purchase deal and extremely comfortable relaxing progress. Unique style always impresses and stands out from the loads of common shapes on the road- sad to see poor UK support. My family are Spanish and in Spain this car is much better accepted with good reviews and dealer care.

Submitted: 2009-02-24 | ID: 38684

Andrew French, Worcestershire

Fiat Croma 1.9diesel 150bhp Eleganza 2007

Very nice car and exceptional value for money. Touch wood, we haven’t had any of the problems listed. Just changed the tyres after 17,000 miles (my old Mondeo used to get through them quicker than that.) Very roomy with plenty of space for the kids in the back and the luggage in the boot. It feels safe and the ride is pleasant and comfortable. I would highly recommend it.

Submitted: 2008-11-26 | ID: 38682

Steve Hayes, Cheshire

Fiat Croma 150 Prestigio 2006

Great car to drive, spacious and a lovely drive. 150 multijet diesel is an excellent engine, plenty of torque. Loads of head & leg room. OK for baby and pushchair, decent sound system. Cruise control is great. Sun blinds on rear windows is handy when baby is in car. On the bad side - It seems to go through tyres by 10,000 miles, right front inner tyre wear seems strange. Had brake servo replaced & boot catch, around 10k. Sky dome is very slow to close, sometimes stops half open. Handbrake could be better positioned.

Submitted: 2008-10-20 | ID: 38683

Coz Blooor, Staffordshire

Fiat Croma 1.9 120 JTD 2007

Done over 20k miles the only thing to go wrong was the clutch return, the spring broke (apparently this is a vauxhall vectra problem). May nead 2 new tyers soon, lovely car and the kids love the extra leg room in the back. Got a great deal from the dealer as it was a discontinued model but what other large executive size car can you get brand new for less than £11k???? Will keep this car until Fiat release another similar sized car that can tow a descent sized family caravan.

Submitted: 2008-09-18 | ID: 38681

Graham Fields, Lancashire

Fiat Croma 150HP Prestigio 2005 2005

Great car to drive, spacious and a lovely drive. On the bad side - never had more than 33mpg out of it. It goes through tyres every 10,000 miles, eats break pads about the same every 10,000-11000 miles. Already had new disks all round. Lost count of the recalls on different things. I have been driving Fiats for 25 years, this is by far the most luxurious and the most expensive to run I have ever owned. Generally I have not a bad thing to say about Fiat but if this had been my first it would have been my last. The big question is how can a company with so much experience end up with a model so lousy. One would have thought with the mess they made of its namesake predecessor they would not let it happen again. PS: It’s currently in for a 40,000 mile (three year) service and needs new front disk pads again. For info my last vehicle a Stilo Abarth did 60,000 on the same disks and pads.

Just bought this very same car, Mr Fields was the previous owner. I’m hoping I feel differently to him when I’ve had it a while, although I know now the fuel consumption isn`t good, I`m only getting 31 mpg but hope it gets better when I`m doing the usual Blackpool run. I find the drive to be very good, it’s comfortable and roomy and at the moment I love it - Martin Taylor from Lancashire

I have an 05 16v 150bhp Eleganza and find it strange that the fuel consumption is so bad, I average 38 - 55mpg but I did have a problem with one F disc wearing out more than the other, this was rectified by a new Master Cylinder, after a new Caliper then a new Hose. This problem was holding the car back. Do consider an after market Diesel Tuning Chip. I bought one from SPEEDUP. IT called a D-Box and it’s been great for the last 3 years, the car is more responsive and the mpg greatly improved. Other problems? alternator MELTED this time last year £190, broke a F spring this year, (Hertfordshire Roads!!) so changed both. Boot lock, I sprayed WD40 into it and it seems to have cleared, I love the car, 46,000 mls to date, 3 trips to Italy and didn’t miss a beat. Presently I have the Engine Check light on and need to clear this up!!! - Vince Ciuffa from Hertfordshire

Submitted: 2008-07-31 | ID: 38677

Matt, England

Fiat Croma PRESTIGIO MULTJET JTD 200 2005

I’ve had nothing but joy from this car. Don’t get me wrong, Fiats do have their faults, but this one Fiat appears to have got right. Being the 2.4 it has 200BHP, and was fast - in fact surprisingly fast considering it’s size and diesel engine (I also drive response Police vehicles so I’m not used to 1.1 Pandas ;)). I paid �249 to have it ’chipped’ which made a massive amount of difference. The car is astronomically fast and is great fun. A few times I’ve been past 140+mph. I have had a few issues with the sun dome roof which were sorted under warranty and with tracking, but all now, touch wood, appear to have been solved. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was the fact that the dealers are next to useless and they stopped selling the car in the UK. I am worried about support for it in the future but having a Saab and Vauxhall connection, hope this wont be too much of a problem. All in all a great car which I would highly recommend but only the 2.4 Prestigio, due to high equipment levels and superior performance.

Hello I got my 2.4JTD late last year and so far impressed. Can I ask about the chipping you had done, which company did you use? Thanks - Martin Cooke from Kent

Submitted: 2008-06-11 | ID: 38675

Jonathan Parkes, Staffordshire

Fiat Croma Dynamic 120 2006

Where to start. If it worked it would be a great car. Unfortunately it doesn’t. I have had in under a year: EGR 3 ECU 6. The car completely rewired, 2 new boot releases, 1 new filler cap. A bizarre fault that meant that either the sensor on the electric windows or the engine management didn’t work. The stereo reception is so good I can pick up radio stations practically on the moon. Unfortunately this means that any iPod FM thing is useless due to interference. The Fiat mechanics are useless, as are the dealers, to be fair this is because this is a mix of Fiat/Saab and Vauxhall mechanics. When it works it’s a dream, shame the reliability is a nightmare.

Submitted: 2008-05-15 | ID: 38674

Matin, Berkshire

Fiat Croma 1.8 Eleganza 2006

Nicely built huge Fiat. Plenty of room inside, super comfortable and super quiet. Has proved 100% faultless to date - its a shame fiat saw the need to drop this model in the UK

Submitted: 2008-03-25 | ID: 38680

Andy Watson, Warwickshire

Fiat Croma Prestigio 150 2005

Bought the car new with employee discount, apart from 3 sets of rear tyres in 36K miles, 2 reprogrammes of the ECU, replacement of the EGR at 4K miles, new tailgate switch at 8K miles it is actually not a bad car, unfortunately with sales withdrawn and no advertising campaign when launched it is now worth nothing at trade in, unlike my last 2 multipla’s. The 150 multijet diesel is an excellent engine the only problem is the denial from Vauxhall Signum and saab93 owners that it is the same car and engine. Cruise control is essential to keep your licence and 45+mpg at cruising speeds! The only let down is the very poor fiat customer service and majority of the dealerships. I do not wish to have this car after it is 3 years old, the stress and worry would kill me which is a shame because it does everything I ask of it so well.

Submitted: 2008-03-05 | ID: 38673

Stephen Patterson, Staffordshire

Fiat Croma 1.9 JTD 120 2006

Bought mine from main agent, paying 50% of list at 17 months old (5000miles). Feels very well built with superb attention under wheel arches etc. 60mpg if driven very gently on the motorway (1.9 JTD 120). Love it. Plenty of space and excellent stereo. Very comfortable but the GM chasis/suspension does lack Italian responsiveness.

Submitted: 2008-01-02 | ID: 38672

Sammy Gus, England

Fiat Croma u.k. 2006

Bought Croma 2.2 Petrol nothing but problems from door handle breaking outer and inner. rear tyres wearing due to tracking out FIAT re call code 5138. engine consuming burning oil Need new engine !!!! Sun roof fell apart. rear boot lock faulty. wiper motor jams Gear leaver jams its a pain I know and its ongoing with Fiat to sort out the problems

Submitted: 2007-12-12 | ID: 38671

Dave Gilbert, Norfolk

Fiat Croma 2.2 Eleganza 2007

UNBELIEVABLE VALUE - BOUGHT MINE 7 MONTHS OLD 4000MLS F0R 7999 - EXCELLENT PERFORMANCE / ECONOMY / RIDE / ROOM - AVERAGE HANDLING / NOISE / BUILD QUALITY - POOR HANDBRAKE AND ROAD NOISE

Submitted: 2007-10-10 | ID: 38670

• "Recently my Fiat Croma`s fuel pump has had no electrical power when starting. Is this a relay problem? (1.8 16v)..." (Aant Foarset, 24/01/2014 08:44:04)
  • "My Fiat Croma has a rough idle and when I give it gas it is very rough until I pass 1500 rpm. The car is great after. I have new glow plugs, new batt..." (Andre, 22/11/2013 15:58:44)
  • "My Fiat Croma has poor acceleration. The turbo seems to come in at about 2000 revs. If the speed drops in high gears it goes flat again. What can I d..." (John Brannan, 31/10/2013 15:00:33)
  • "My Fiat Croma was driving okay last night but today it was hard to start and it sounds terrible. It drives okay but the engine sounds rough. What can..." (Malcolm Dunn, 29/10/2013 12:37:54)
  • "Can anyone offer me advice as to why cruise control on my Fiat Croma would stop working? Also the little switch / solenoid restricting the gear lever..." (Andi Dunmore, 22/10/2013 09:43:53)

• Debbie Horley's question has been answered: "Burning smell could have come from the burgers!! Lol Seriously though, the smell may have been a sticking brake calliper as I understand this is commo - Doug Suckling from Kent' '..." (11/02/2014 08:25:29)
  • Valeriy Dimitrov's question has been answered: "Do you have ecodrive turned on? If so, you need to download the data on a USB stick and that will sort it - Mihajlo Vlajic from Serbia' '..." (24/01/2014 14:13:48)

Renault Scenic