Fiat 500 consumer car reviews and road tests

Fiat 500

Fiat 500 consumer reviews by year of make:1991 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Fiat 500 consumer car reviews

jen, Brighton & Hove

Fiat 500 2010 - 2013

My fiat 500c boot loom needed to be repaired, fiat stated not under warranty , £500 later should they be helping me,? Car has only done 15000....miles

Submitted: 2014-06-01 | ID: 96649

Wayne Robinson, Canada

Fiat 500 2010

I rented a Fiat 500 from Hertz at Heathrow, London in February 2013. I liked the little car as I was alone and had very little luggage. I understand the depreciation is incredibly low. I only did 700 miles in two weeks but really liked it and considered it to be an ideal form of transportation for a person wanting a small car. It had sentimental value for me as our village doctor had a 1964 Fiat 500 when I was a kid. They are selling well over here in Canada (Alberta) and seem much better value than the smart range.

Submitted: 2013-10-01 | ID: 38618

Mark McEwan, Aberdeenshire

Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge 1991

I owned my Fiat 500 for exactly 1 year. It was a year old when I bought it, hardly ’run in’ with 2k miles on the clock. I sold it with 8K mile on the clock. I drove a BMW before and I have returned to BMW. These brands are not comparable so I do not intend to tell why the Fiat is inferior. The Fiat was bought with my heart and I’m glad I did it. I really enjoyed the car and it certainly trumps most cars for ’feel good factor’. It was ridiculously cheap to own and run - it cost my depreciation of about 15% of the £8500 I paid for it - essentially £25/week. Insurance was £75 per year and tax £30. I did not have any other bills in the year. So from an economic point of view it made sense. For 95% of what I do it was great, small commutes of around 5-10 miles. Unfortunately I took up golf and it didn’t carry clubs too easily- although with back seats down it was possible, if a little bit of a squeeze. Also my dog was consigned to the foot well as he didn’t fit in boot. The quality of materials were on the budget end - but it is a budget car - so no complaints. I had ’Lounge’ spec and it was really well equipped - bluetooth, USB, panoramic glass roof, steering wheel controls. I enjoyed the ’sit up’ driving position and visibility is great - although these cars are popular with young people (I’m middle aged!) they would be great for older people too. The boot can easily carry a week’s shopping - much better than the mini for this in my opinion. So in summary - the car is not just cute/trendy, its a real option for a city car that may cost more in initial purchase but holds it’s value, it is well spec’d but has cheaper materials, looks great and won’t break the bank. If you play golf or have a dog - it isn’t the best choice. Most of all it’s great fun!

Submitted: 2013-07-08 | ID: 38617

Linda McKie, Dumfriesshire

Fiat 500 2009

A complete waste of money! The engine blew up after 10 months and the garage didn’t want to know. It has been stored in my garage since as I don’t know whether it’s worth the money to repair it?

Submitted: 2012-08-18 | ID: 38616

Michelle Egan, Kent

Fiat 500 2011

I bought my Fiat 500 twin air lounge brand new in September 2011 and I love it. It’s really fun to drive, very easy to park and is quite nippy even with the small engine. The styling is great and it’s has plenty of room in the back and the boot space is good for a small car. The only negative thing is that I am not getting any where near the claimed MPG you are meant to get, but then I knew this before I bought it. Overall I love this car and look forward to getting the Abarth version!

Submitted: 2012-04-26 | ID: 38615

Paul Revere, Italy

Fiat 500 2009

Poor fuel consumption, very cheap car interiors (they are same kind of Fiat Panda).<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-02-02 | ID: 38614

Mike, Canada

Fiat 500 Fiat Sport 2011

I rented one in Canada and I loved it! It’s good in the city as well on the freeway. Has enough power, good interior, awesome interior and an excellent styling. Will definitely buy one. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-11 | ID: 38613

Rock, United States of America

Fiat 500 2011

Has it occurred to you that this car won European Car of the year? Also I have a Honda Civic 2009 and you would consider a Honda high quality in manufacturing, yet it had leaks in both rear doors due to sloppy assembly and rust forming underneath. It is only two years old. This is Honda, right? You might be the unlucky owner of a car that had a bad day on the assembly line. This happens and it does not apply to ever car. I say stop the bashing of Fiat and learn how to maintain one. Instead of complaining, go after the dealer and fight to get issues resolved.

Submitted: 2011-07-08 | ID: 38609

William Starr, Guadeloupe

Fiat 500 2011

Very good car that you might want, it is very good it is about £13,000.

Submitted: 2011-06-13 | ID: 38610

Claire Waters, England

Fiat 500 2008

This car was a big winner on looks and performance. It was for my boyfriend and I to share and until we found this car we couldn’t agree on anything because I was more interested in the look and he wanted performance. We found that the Fiat 500 price was the best value for the type of car we were looking for. It’s almost a cross between the VW Beetle and BMW Mini, just with a much bigger design range.

Submitted: 2011-04-06 | ID: 38611

Richard Hall, Cheshire

Fiat 500 Pop 2009

Didn’t drive the Fiat 500 but I was a front seat passenger in my friend’s little car; I have to say I was seriously impressed with the amount of room available. Four adults went on a walking trip and the car coped with accommodating all four, plus rucksacks in the boot without too many problems, and when you look at the exterior dinky proportions then I’m not sure how Fiat have done it. There’s a couple of handy storage areas too, like the flip lid front passenger seat with a storage area beneath. Great idea. All in all, it’s great to look at, it has a good economical engine in it, and a surprising amount of space front and back.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-07-14 | ID: 38612

Kerry, Gloucestershire

Fiat 500 Abarth 2010

Have this little gem as a company car and I absolutely love it and will hate (and cry) to give it back at the end of the week :( I change cars weekly and this is the first small car that I have been impressed with. Even though you get bounced to death on the British roads from the stiffened suspension, all the qualities put a huge smile on my face when I drive. Torquey enough to speed away from the annoying tailgaters on the motorway and leave them hanging in the distance.

Submitted: 2010-06-22 | ID: 38606

Stu, England

Fiat 500 1.4 Sport 2008

Knocking from suspension and steering developed within a few months of delivery. Suspension bearings, drop links, and steering rack eventually replaced following multiple visits to dealer. Knocking from nearside front still persists. Dealer unwilling to replace any more parts. Poor quality chromework has started deteriorating rapidly, with bubbles appearing in various places. Boot handle and 2 chrome bumper trims replaced under warranty. Paint work fragile, leading to lots of chips and scratches. Paint flaking off centre caps on alloy wheels. Blue and Me microphone poor- replaced twice under warranty. Ride quality is appalling, which has lead to the car developing lots of rattles. All in all, it’s a poor quality car- certainly not the big step forward for Fiat that the motoring press would have you believe.

I worked as a foreign car mechanic for 30 years. The common reply we give to all Fiat owners is to (a) sell it immediately and take your losses or (b) send it to the junk yard. It is funny how time erases bad memories and apparently, Fiat (Chrysler) decided enough generations had passed for them to re-issue their little headache. I notice a lot of words that owners used to describe their feelings about the car when they bought it were based upon "how cute they thought their little car was." Well, mark my word, they are in for an education - Jay Johnson from United States of America

Submitted: 2010-05-16 | ID: 38607

Eamonn Kane, County Londonderry

Fiat 500 1.3 diesel 2009

A truely great car in every way, well done Fiat.

Submitted: 2009-12-03 | ID: 38605

Derek Compton Compton, Sussex

Fiat 500 Pop 2008

Best little mini on the market; our first brand new car for us retired folk - always had used cars but now everybody admires our four wheels, especialy with the red green & white strips down the sides plus extra chrome. Wonderful! Thanks DRC!

Submitted: 2009-05-27 | ID: 38620

Clive Robson, Cheshire

Fiat 500 1.4 Sport 2007

Had the car in Italy for the past year (24,000 kilometres).100% perfect car, still as new. If there were 6 stars, this car would get them. Returning to Italy in march, will be buying the Abarth SS.

Submitted: 2009-02-11 | ID: 38619

Nick Bowyer, Hertfordshire

Fiat 500 1.2 2008

What a fantastic car. It looks fantastic - I have the bossa nova white with the Italian stripe down the sides. It certainly turns heads. It is great to drive, handles really well and is very economical. Fiat have certainly set the standard for future compact city cars. I see they have just launched a cabriolet version - might have to get another one!!

Submitted: 2008-12-12 | ID: 38627

Elizabeth Priestley, Berkshire

Fiat 500 1.2 Lounge 2008

A great looking little car, both inside and out. It also gives you a nice feeling of safety and security which is not always the case in a supermini. I would like to give the 500 five stars but the handling is not too hot and and the cornering leaves a bit to be desired.

Submitted: 2008-05-07 | ID: 38626

Natalie Hayles, Durham

Fiat 500 1.2 2008

This car is soooooo cute! The attention to detail of the interior takes my breath away. I never used to enjoy driving but since buying the 500 I’ve begun to find myself driving more and more often (not very good from a green perspective admittedly). For a small car it gives a great feeling of safety and security and a car that is pleasingly comfortable. There is something about the 500 that makes you feel like you are stepping back in time every time you open the door and get in - there’s something very 60s about it. The fuel economy is almost double what I’m used to and at a time of rising fuel prices and higher taxes on non-green cars I felt that this car was a pefrect choice in terms of style and finance.

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 38623

Marc, England

Fiat 500 1.4 Sport 2008

Okay, I am a guy and I love the Fiat 500. Loved them when I was little and a neighbour had one - love them now. Drives superb, sport mode is divine and firms up the steering for motorway work and at speed. Comfortable for short or long journeys. If you offered me the chance to have my BMW 325 back right now I’d point blank refuse. Love the car - hope it lives up to the hype. So far it has!!!

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 38624

Teri Mathers, Cheshire

Fiat 500 1.4 Sport 3dr 2008

This has to be the best looking car to come out in ages. Retro and modern at the same time it. Such a little car but a huge style statement. Can hardly take my eyes off it! It’s a brilliant car to drive too, very zippy. Love it!

Submitted: 2008-04-24 | ID: 38625

Carrie Graham, Middlesex

Fiat 500 1.2 Pop 3 door 2007

I finally took delivery of my gorgeous Fiat 500 2 weeks ago and I just love it!!! It’s the most stylish little car out there and is such a good price; absolutely sips petrol and is cheap to insure. Really nippy and fun to drive and the interior is very funky. Enough space in the back for a couple of mates so it’s the perfect girlie car!

Submitted: 2008-03-18 | ID: 38622

Cheryl Moss, Oxfordshire

Fiat 500 1.2 Pop 3dr 2007

I love this car because it’s so unusual and very, very stylish. Suits nipping around town perfectly and is a breeze to park. Definately fun to drive, it the type of car that makes you smile. Good value to buy and definately cheap to run. Cute and cheeful without being too cheap.

Submitted: 2007-11-27 | ID: 38621

• A response has been made to Stu (16/05/2010 22:20:02)

• "Anyone else had to get the. Boot loom repaired, my car less than 3 years old, its not covered on warranty, £500 later......" (jen, 01/06/2014 10:04:43)
  • "Hi, I wonder if someone could help I've just bought a brand new fiat 500. It's started making a very quiet ticking noise when the gears change up ..." (Danielle, 19/05/2014 09:33:47)
  • "Hey Guys, I really need your help, i had a major accident with my car recently and i have sent to the garage to fix it and change the damaged part..." (Emad Swedan, 30/04/2014 14:29:17)
  • "when driving down steep hill and changing into lower gear the fiat 500 makes a rotating noise from underneath?? then when road evens flat the noise g..." (angela dickson, 25/04/2014 08:04:42)
  • "Hi, I put petrol in my Fiat 500 today, drove to the supermarket and on the way back my petrol light came on and it went down to 2 bars. Please help? ..." (Rose Ellaby, 10/03/2014 09:54:58)

• Vicky Mackins's question has been answered: "Depress the brake a couple of times before engaging into gear - Juanita from Yorkshire' '..." (24/03/2014 09:16:46)
  • Kathleen Gore's question has been answered: "I have exactly same issue - only highlighted as the intermittent windscreen wipers were only working... intermittently. Replacement stalk at £350 at F - Carol Clark from Kent' '..." (04/02/2014 10:55:52)

Fiat 500

TwinAir 85hp - The Fiat 500 of 1957 was an affordable and practical city runabout originally powered by a half-litre, 2-cyl engine. Fifty-three years on, the latest addition to the current 500 range pays homage to that car by also having just two cylinders, but the new TwinAir engine hasn’t come about for sentimen [...]

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Fiat 500 TwinAir 85hp

Fiat 500

Abarth 1.4 Turbo Esseesse - Fiat’s new 500 is about the cutest and most desirable city car on sale. Following the re-launch of the famous Italian tuning brand in 2008, this even newer Abarth version is no cuter, but for keen drivers and committed petrolheads the ‘small but wicked’ 500 could prove utterly irresistible.

Road Test Reports Says 4.5 star ratingFull Report
An image of the Fiat 500 Abarth 1.4 Turbo Esseesse

Fiat 500

1.3 Multijet Pop - The new 500 pays homage to the classic car from the Fifties and Sixties. A chic and competent city car with great looks what will make it a very desirable proposition to its target urban customer.

An image of the Fiat 500 1.3 Multijet Pop