Citroen Xsara Picasso consumer car reviews and road tests

Citroen Xsara Picasso

Citroen Xsara Picasso consumer reviews by year of make:2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010

Citroen Xsara Picasso consumer car reviews

Michelle, Lancashire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000 - 2010

Love my picasso only think bothering me is had oil and filter changed,now the oil pressure low alert keeps coming up. The bleep is awful I have no idea why it has started now especially with just having these changed apart from that this is my second picasso and I wouldn't have anything else .

Submitted: 2014-08-16 | ID: 101613

Max ferreira, Plymouth

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000 - 2010

I left a review for my current pic so this is a review on my old one it was a y reg 2001 sx hdi silver picasso it had air conditioning front fog lights cd player and alloy wheels it had done 120,000 miles when I changed it I had it for 11 years and it only needed a new brake switch but in the end it was getting hard to start in the cold it would start after 2 or 3 turns my neighbour bought it from me in February 2012 for £1000

Submitted: 2014-08-03 | ID: 100814

Max ferreira, Plymouth

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000 - 2010

Well where do I start I bought this 55 reg 2 litre HDi in 2012 for £3995 it is the desire model so ice cold air conditioning front fog lights nice interior 6 cd changer cruise control lumbar support on drivers seat auto locking when the picasso reaches 6 mph 50-60 mpg even around the town remote locking I think it has a lot of optional extras before this I had a y reg picasso 2 litre hdi sx for 11 years that was a great car neither have ever let me down the first one was silver and the 2005 one is dark grey the first one the brake switch went so the brake lights stayed on but next I will buy a 2009 exclusive in about 5 years forget the overrated german car buy a citroen

Submitted: 2014-08-03 | ID: 100813

John Donaldson, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2003

As an ex-commercial vehicle mechanic I’m very happy with my 2.0 litre hdi Xsara Picasso 53 plate. Bought at 47k now 82k with no problems. New cam belt and water pump when purchased. I get an average fuel consumption of around 48mpg, best figure was 52mpg. It has its downsides - visibility with thick pillars at roundabouts not ideal and large turning circle a nuisance, but overall a great car. Wish I’d got one years ago.

Submitted: 2014-01-02 | ID: 38476

888 111, Ireland

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000

This is the worst car I have ever owned. It broke down the first day we had it. It’s ugly and it’s really unreliable, it brakes down at least once a week. If you’re looking for a comfy family car get a Chrysler Voyager or a Hyundai Santa Fe, do not get a Picasso. T’he car doesn’t deserve to be a car. All Picassos should be crushed, they’re money pits, I have spent at least €3500 on it. If you’re looking for a 5 seater get a Renault Megane.

I had sympathy for you, but then you said get a Megane! Now I know your bonkers! The Xsara Picasso is a great car for what it does and I know dozens with them, that’s why we are getting one Saturday. I have a Partner Escapade and my Mrs has a Berlingo, they are great too. They don’t rust like the fords AND Renaults. - Dave Johnson from England

Submitted: 2013-08-03 | ID: 38474

Frederick Allard, Hampshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2005

I bought this car as a run around till my other car was repaired. It had nearly 160.000 miles on the clock and I have now 180.000 miles on the clock. Apart from a new alternator to replace the original one and a couple tyres it has sailed through 2 MoTs and has been serviced once. The mechanics said it was perfect throughout. It’s not the fastest of cars, but in all my years driving and I am 63 now, it’s the best I have had and you guessed it I am keeping it. Also, I get an amazing 48 to the gallon just local driving and more on a long run.

Submitted: 2013-07-21 | ID: 38473

Alan Worthing, Ayrshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso SX 2002

I have had my Picasso for 7yrs. I had some problems with pulleys at first and discovered that when I bought it there was no undertray fitted. I had one fitted 6 yrs ago and I have never had any trouble with the car for 82000mls. I have been driving for 46yrs and this is the most reliable car I have had, it’s just a shame they don’t make it any more as the C4 Picasso from what i have read is quite troublesome. I am looking for another one with more upgrade.

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 38472

David Wilson, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2 HDi 2004

Bought it today. I was worried, but every thing works, with 84000 on the clock one owner FSH, new cambelt and water pump. I paid £2400 cash from a dealer and after 50 miles I’m loving it, one well looked after motor. The quality is not the same as a BMW, but it is a French car - naughty but nice!

Submitted: 2013-04-28 | ID: 38471

Jim Dearden, Northumberland

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

Generally I’ve had very few problems with the vehicle (my second Picasso) but at 8 years old and 180, 000 on the clock you’d expect a few niggles and component failures (new clutch, gear selector etc.)I Until a few days ago i would have recommended it to anyone as a good safe family car. Until a few days ago! The front offside suspension spring broke - not too bad you would think, except that it dropped down the shock and came in contact with the tyre immediately ripping it to shreds. This seems to be the same fault that Citreon had a VOSA recall on other vehicles a few years back - had it happened at any sort of speed/in traffic I would not be writing this, I would be dead or lying in hospital. Apparently my Xsara Picasso (54 plate) was not on the recall list. When I went to the dealer I was told that because my car is over 6 years old they wouldn’t repair it free of charge (or fit the safety modification) even though this fault is a known design fault. The modification consists of a cup at the base of the spring to prevent it from coming in contact with the tyre in the event of spring failure. If you are driving a similar vehicle I urge you to approach your dealer and have this checked out before someone is injured or possibly killed. As cars get older and given the number of potholes and speed bumps out there...

Had the identical problem, same year car 54 plate but only 38,000 miles. Spring broke and went down the shock absorber, just missing the brake fluid feed pipe. Fortunately, happened on my driveway when reversing out. If I had been on a motorway at speed, and brake pipe and tyre had been hit, god knows what would have happened - from England

Submitted: 2013-03-04 | ID: 38451

Super Car, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso Exclusive 1.6 HDi 2005

Reading some previous comments regarding MPG returns on this vehicle prompted me to reply with this information: The VIN Code holds information on OEM (Oil Engine Management) Catalytic Converter/Particulate filter, which can be in different combinations depending on when the vehicle was manufactured. From October 2005 DV6TED4 (Euro4 Engines) were fitted with a particulate filter seperate to the catalytic converter and some models a ’Combined’ Unit this can be observed/clarified looking at Complete Exhaust Systems. Those having part of the alphanumeric VIN code CH9HY do not have a particle filter only the catalytic converter. Those without Particulate (FAP) also tend to give a higher MPG on short as well as long journeys.

Submitted: 2013-02-11 | ID: 38453

Barry, Sussex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.8 2002

I needed a replacement car and was recomended this one. It only had 40,000 on the clock, but it’s the worst car I have ever owned. The sunroof is very noisy and there are rattles and squeaks from every panel.

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 38455

Tony Bowles, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara Picasso 16 HDI VTX 2008

Bought this car 3 years ago with 6500 on the clock it has averaged 61.4 miles to the gallon and never missed a beat with good acceleration when overtaking. I was advised to buy the 16 HDI 92 BHP diesel as the 110 BHP has a particulate filter; people should bare in mind that cars fitted with a particulate filter should not be used for short journeys as they have to reach full working temperature for them to work, which is usually about 4 to 5 miles. The reason for the good economy is probably because we never do short journeys so Citroen’s average of 55 mph is probably about right. Downsides are the service costs are a bit more expensive than with a petrol. I have had a few niggles with the service from my particular garage, but they have bent over backwards to put this right. I do have some advice to anyone driving any model turbo diesel and that is to make sure the garage use a top quality fully synthetic oil and genuine filter as several people that I know have had turbo problems, which I suspect are attributed to low quality oil from cheap servicing. Change gear early in first and second as in the lower gears starts to sound harsh. Anybody wanting to remove the rear seats needs to be pretty strong as they are very heavy. These cars have been produced for a long time, which gives the manufacturer plenty of time to sort out any bugs. I am consdering a C4 but they are a much more complicated car with much more to go wrong and servicing is more expensive.

Submitted: 2012-10-07 | ID: 38454

Simon Green, Dorset

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0L HDI SX 2002

Recently changed from a 1.4 petrol C3 to 2.0L HD1 Xsara Picasso with no regrets, except for a slight disappointment with the low rev pulling power. With some misgivings I have invested in a Superchips re-map and can report that everything claimed has been achieved, with much smoother pulling especially from low revs and continuing to drive as previously, the on-board computer shows an overall MPG improvement of 6-7 MPG. My only niggles with this otherwise excellent car are lots of plastic squeaks, and a dashboard display which can be difficult to read as even on the brightest back light setting it isn’t always bright enough (especially with lights on on a rainy but otherwise bright day). Generally though, a very good car.

Submitted: 2012-06-19 | ID: 38460

Nicolae Cotlau, Moldova

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.8 Exclusive 2002

Bought it second hand, with 105,000km, in late 2009. A very roomy, versatile and comfortable car, with flat floor, passage between the front seats, well equipped and a very pleasant interior in Exclusive trim. My kids like it very much due to its large windows, individual seats, trays and visible intstrument panel. On the other hand, the suspension is stiff, pedal position cramped, it’s difficult to feel the front of the car (hence dents on the bumpers) and it is scary to drive on windy days. It was ok for a few months, with excellent mileage, good climate control and acceptable ride, although clearance was not enough for my needs. But then, all kind of problems started - from one exhaust valve burnt for no good reason, one door actuator unlocking at night, wiper pump not working, electrical problems (Citroen dealer totally useless), flywheel failing, exhaust falling off, high oil consumption of about 0.2 l/100km, periodical total electrical black-outs, and now completely overhauling the rear suspension at 125,000km. I am afraid to drive it on long journeys and only use it  around town. I wonder if we are talking about the same car. Mine is extremely unreliable, with incompetent dealers and stupid electronics.

Submitted: 2012-06-13 | ID: 38461

Martin Eastwood, Kent

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi Exclusive 2002

Hi! I own a 2.0 HDi Exclusive Picasso, which I bought at 89k over a year ago and it has been fine apart from some minor points. The heating for feet was poor until I had the Cam Belt, tensioners plus the water pump (was weeping) replaced at 90k. I can report that the heating vastly improved in both output and time taken to heat up. In addition the brake light switch had failed and once replaced the engine feels far perkier! The Panoramic Sunroof emits wind noise sometimes at motorway speed, but does not leak. Maybe because I am tall I sometimes get uncomfortable on longer journeys (lower back ache), which I suspect is due to the seat design. I’m obtain an average of 38mpg on the trip meter, which is made up of mostly town and some B roads, plus I am not a stately driver. I’ve never got anywhere near 50mpg, even on a pure motorway run however average 70 to 80 on the speedo. To sum up, once fully serviced it is an enjoyable diesel mpv to drive, there is a flexible blend of power available at the throttle with real time driving, pulling away at roundabouts included and passengers will be impressed by the amount of room afforded to them. ’Suits me sir’ inc the family!

Submitted: 2012-05-28 | ID: 38456

Paul S, Cambridgeshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6hdi 2005

Ok let’s start with the good bits. Plenty of room for three kids and two adults as all seats are full sized meaning three booster seats can fit in the back. The boot is large and the rear seats can fold tip slide or be removed leaving a cavernous load area should the need arise. The interior is well laid out with plenty of cubby holes etc although it’s cheap inside it’s adequate and comfy on long journeys. Now the bad bits the handling is like a go kart, ie two wheels and a bit of string, the car will not feel composed at speed and prone to side winds. The result is negative feedback and feel in the steering not unsafe just not inspiring . Built for comfort the suspension soaks up the bumps but around bends it feels like your the figure out of a jack in the box. Now the really bad bits... The 1.6hdi has a dual mass flywheel clutch system which is prone to failure and ours did with £1,100 pound price tag to fix - this part is not exclusive to Citroen’s so do your homework carefully on any recent diesel engine as manufacturer’s share parts. Low mileage or service history won’t help either, a bad design fault. The fuel injectors can leak with similar costs if they can’t remove them. So the moral of the story is, if your buying one buy the 2.0l diesel and enjoy life on the high seas, a Parrot is on the option list. PS. We didn’t fix ours it wasn’t cost effective! 99p Auction on eBay.

Submitted: 2012-04-23 | ID: 38457

Dave Elliot, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDI exclusive 2002

After having BMW and Mercedes (both hopeless in snow) I bought a Picasso. I fitted Bridgestone tyres and it is brilliant in snow conditions.I have had this car now for 10 years (my wife has one also) and both are 2002 2.0 HDI. The ONLY faults I find are the turning circle is too small and the heater takes ages to heat up. I would buy a Picasso again.

Hi mate, read your review which was helpful. I’m really considering part ex my Vectra 07 for a Picasso due to having a young family. Would u get in touch an let me no if you think I’m doing the right thing cheers speak soon - Vinny H from Northumberland

Vectra to Picasso? Well, an ex mechanic I speak as I find I. Vauhalls.....had a couple, not good. Picasso tsara 2.0litre deisel had it 4 years, good workhorse. 53 plate with 83k on the clock. No real problems. 40-53 mpg is v achievable. I let it warm up for a couple of miles, give the turbo a chance to get lubricated, and leave on tickover before turning off helps too. It rattles, thick pillars are a pain, but a cheap car to run and thousands built so plenty s/h spares around. I will keep it for now. Oh yes, a local taxi driver has done 220k and only had a clutch fitted.......... - from Essex

Submitted: 2012-04-21 | ID: 38458

John Holmes, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI SX 2002

After over 9 years of ownership of this amazingly versatile, reliable and economical car I am passing it on to my son as I know it is a totally good vehicle. I am having a change, or so I thought; cheap tax and more mpg drew me to the C3 Picasso. However, I was truely NOT impressed. It had poor storage, poor space and no full size spare and the appearance of a converted van, which had me pining for another Xsara Picasso. As a result I am about to collect a 56 plate 1.6 hdi [110] Exclusive. I would have liked a more modern one, but they are sought after especially the diesels. Apart from a few more ’toys’ on this model it should be a bit more perkier and deliever a few more mpg. At 65 this should be my last car purchase and that’s why I’ve picked another Picasso, they’re brill.

Hope you are enjoying your 06 plate Exclusive Xsara Picasso? I have one with 70,000 on and apart from consumables it has not cost a penny. My local garage service and MOT costs £170 for an annual FULL service. MPG is around 45/50 urban (hilly area--Pennine foothills) 55/60 on runs with a best of 65mpg last week. I have had cars since 1964 and this is certainly my best ever. Treat `em like a lady with love and affection and you can`t lose - Perfect Picasso from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2012-02-13 | ID: 38469

Mick Well Happy, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso VTX electric pack as extra 2008

This is the third Picasso I have owned. I previously had a 2002sx 2.0hdi, which I thought was brilliant, spacious, very comfy with good return on fuel. I was so impressed I bought a 56 1.6hdi exclusive, with all sorts of extras including air conditioned glovebox for your sarnies and coke. I sold this to replace it with a brand new 2008 VTX 1.6hdi which I paid an extra £700 for the auto wipers and lights and the digital climate control as I had got used to these on the exclusive. I know this car’s capabilities and that’s why I got a new one. I have done 68,000 miles and still have the original rear tyres, have replaced the front discs and pads, I did this myself, which only cost £48 for the lot! I do approx 23,000 miles a year travelling to work, a lot of this I do plodding along at 60 - 63 mph, and I return on the trip computer ALWAYS 65 to 67 mpg. I have had 799 miles before I bottled it and filled up and I still haven’t managed to break that 800 mile per tank barrier. Usually I always get 730-750 mile to the tank full and I fill up everytime, costing £80 at moment. I filled up the other week in Bolton and did 84 miles to home along the motorway, I set the trip and it said 73mpg when I got home. I have had the car serviced twice a year because of the mileage I do. I never put oil in and apart from the brakes and one light bulb I have not replaced or had any work done. I was thinking the other day about changing it for a newer one if I could find one VTX or Desire, but think I will keep this as long as I can and see what mileage I can get to! I highly recommend it. A friend has just bought a 2004 exclusive 1.6hdi 110 bhp, mine is only the 92bhp, but powerful enough for me, and I do blow it out everynow and then and it sits fine at 80 - 90 if you do want to get your foot down. I do agree that the older ones seem to be better built, with less rattles n squeaks, as everyone else says take out the seat (easy) and you can chuck ’ought in; I have had double beds, settees, wardrobes, fridges, rubbish, even a kitchen sink and the bath ’n toilet all at the same time!! For the money and versatility this ticks all the boxes and it’s ded easy to get in and out with the doors opening real wide for access. Fantastic, do you think I like it??!!!

Submitted: 2011-12-12 | ID: 38468

Nigel Lister, Cornwall

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI SX 2002

I’ve owned this Xsara Picasso for 5 years with very few problems. I was thinking of upgrading to a C4 Picasso, but having read the (dreadful) reviews I think I’ll hang on to the Xsara for a bit longer and then buy a newer version-possibly the 1.6 HDI 110 bhp. I have given the Xsara Picasso 5 stars because it’s never ever let us down, apart from when the 8 year old battery failed, the load carrying capacity is brilliant, the ride is good and the engine doesn’t use a drop of oil between services. We achieve around 52 mpg on mixed driving. What more can I say?!

Hi, can anyone tell me if they have problems in the wind with their Citreon Xsara Picasso? I find it hard to keep it straight on a motorway when the wind is high - Ali Coogan from Ireland

Hi Ali, I have a 2004 Xsara Picasso. I was actually reading the reviews to find out if anyone else has experienced problems driving in windy conditions and came across your review. I found my car blowing from side to side today and difficult to keep in lane on the motorway. I know today was very windy but I have experienced the same problem when it is simply a windy day. It has gotten to the stage that I will not take the car out if it is even the slightest bit windy and if I have to, changing my route to accomodate the wind. I also find the brakes are not very sharp. I have had them tested but nothing was detected. I, like another reviewer, find the car not at all good in snow or ice conditions - Colette Trainor from County Down

My wandering steering was down to cheap import tyres, putting firestones on the front cured it, must have more rigid sidewalls, took a long time to discover this, steering and suspension checked many times - John Holmes from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2011-10-12 | ID: 38464

Michael Davis, Dorset

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Hdi 2007

I picked up my Picasso 1.6 Hdi about 14 months ago it had 14,000 miles on the clock and looked like new; this was purchased from a Citroen dealer. |I do a high mileage and my last Picasso 2.0 Hdi gave me good service for 490,000 miles. All has been going well up to the point when I put the vehicle into my local dealer for a cam belt change at 70,000 miles. It came out of the dealers workshop sounding like a bag of old nails and I was told that it needed a new camshaft linking chain and this would cost £945.00. I have lost faith in the dealership network so I took the car to an independant workshop who had a very good reputation with this model of Citroen. They changed the chain but could not start the enginge afterwards. The problem turned out to be the injectors, some of which were blocked with what appeared to be alluminium swarf this was traced back to the high pressure pump. To cut a long story short most of the fuel injection system had to be replaced the tank and lines cleaned. All this was completed for a very reasonable £3200. So think long and hard before opting for this twin cam version of this engine, the chain, which will need changing at some time, is very inaccessable due to poor design. They should revert to the single camshaft with eight valves, it could save you thousands.

Having a similar problem now with my 33,000 mile C4 1.6HDi. The car has been serviced regularly by Citroen and for the year I’ve owned it, there have been no problems until now. What seemed a lack of power turns out to be a seized turbo due to swarf somehow entering the system. At best, it’s a new turbo but perhaps even a new engine as the dealership can’t guarantee all the swarf will be removed when flushed. As it is now four years old, Citroen won’t help despite a full service history and the fact that the probable cause is poor engine oil being used - Stevie Clark from Northumberland

Is this a missprint 499,000 miles? My 2.0 d has only completed 84k.....so only got another 400+ miles to go b4 scrapping it? - from Essex

Submitted: 2011-10-11 | ID: 38462

Stephen Hann, Kent

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi Exclusive 2005

This is my 2nd Picasso after my 2002 SX was written off due to a non fault accident (was gutted to lose it). I knew straight away what our next car would be though. I went for an upgrade and got the exclusive with climate control, auto headlamps, auto screen wipers, parking sensors and cruise control. Certainly not the the most exciting of cars to drive, but then when you’re getting an average of 49+ mpg and more on a longer run who cares? Loads of well thought out cubby holes and love the fridge in the glove compartment. You only have to take the easily removed seats out of the back and you have a van! My last Picasso swallowed up a 2 seater sofa and armchair in one go! The kids love the space in the back, the aircraft style tables, the middle rear seat that drops down as a table and the storage holes in the floor at the back. The flat floor throughout the car makes life easy if you should need to clamber about the car or jump in through the passenger side if someone parks tight up to drivers side. The auto climate control is handy. Getting in and out is easy especially when loading a sleepy child, you won’t have to break your back to do it. The trim is a bit cheap and the reflection off the dashboard into the windscreen can be a bit scary on sunny days. Our last Picasso had a few slight rattles appear, but then it did have 113,000 on the clock, but still ran as sweet as a nut and in the 4 years I owned it and always started 1st time on its original battery. The easiest car I’ve ever driven in snow too. You get a lot of car for the money, the driving experience won’t set you alight but for practicality and affordability you’d find it hard to beat.

Deja vu. I was reading Stephen’s review and thought this is me. My 2006 1.6 hdi "Cassie" was written off due to a non-fault accident (the b*stard didn’t even stop). Just had to get another one love the engine, my partner and I can live with the interior. The miles per gallon, well with the way I drive, I can average 65mpg. Wouldn’t have another car. Loads of cubby holes and places to hide things. Have now got a 2008 1.6hdi vtx model. The other one we brought new. This one is second hand, no complaints as yet - Dave Dewey from Hampshire

Submitted: 2011-07-16 | ID: 38449

Andy Smreczak, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso desire 2.0hdi diesel 2009

Best car I’ve ever had. My mpg is unbelievable, but then I do add 0-60 diesel booster from Wilkinsons, especially when going on holiday. What can I say? The car is just great!

Submitted: 2011-05-08 | ID: 38445

Tammy Lusty, Warwickshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.8L Petrol 2002

Only had this car a few months and found it good on space for three children. I’m not happy with the squeaks and creeks from windows and sunroof though and they can be really annoying. Not too bad on fuel although we found Vauxhall Zafira was better but the main problem with this car is in windy conditions, it is very light and hard to control especially on motorways when you find yourself uncontrollably veering into another lane - very scary! For that purpose, we are looking for a Ford Galaxy.

I have searched the web looking for answers on the wind problem and everyone says it’s fine. You are the first person to say that the wind is a factor. I don’t go on long journeys on the motorways on windy days cause it is so scary. Glad to read your entry and know it’s not in my head as some people have said. Thanks - Ali Coogan from Ireland

Submitted: 2011-04-12 | ID: 38447

Alex Smith, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000

No problems, smooth ,reliable and just amazing it is the best car I have owned and i will get another one after this if it ever breaks down, which I doubt. Amazing with panoramic sunroof air con and many more, I love this car, I would recommend this big Citroen for anyone who wants a decent acr not a crummy Ford or Vauxhall. It is also surprisingly easy to park.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-04-02 | ID: 38446

Barry Holmes, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso Desire 1.6 petrol 2005

Hi, I have had my 1.6 petrol Citroen Xsara Picasso for 2 years. I get 30 to 35 mph around town, I love it. The bad points are: Steering pump is above the atlternater; Pump went very noisy and I found it to be leaking; Fluid dropped straight down into the alternater and knackered that too, had to change both. Very bad idea, they should be offset.

Submitted: 2011-03-05 | ID: 38444

Mike B, Bedfordshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2007

Had a 52 plate from new, serviced regulary, apart from one set of tyres no problems. After 80000 miles traded it in for new 07 plate Xsara Picasso. This one’s mechanics O.K. so far, but interior finish poor. 40,000 miles, no troubles, would recommend as a family motor.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-01-21 | ID: 38443

David Stuart, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

Has been a very good and trustworthy car. Has completed 94000 miles. A few problems, airbag lights coming on and off, aircon display fading, electric window ceasing up in salty/sandy air, cigarette lighter not working, it tends to eat up oil and petrol consumption is poor compared with newer cars. Road tax quite high. Battery situated under passenger seat is a great bonus in damp conditions.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 38442

Bob Cooper, Surrey

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi 2001

I’ve had this Picasso and previously a 2.0Hdi Dispatch van. Both have been bullet proof solid vehicles with only niggly problems. The Picasso has a dreadful blind spot from each A pillar and often I miss pedestrians waiting on zebra crossings. I guess it’s just a design issue and cannot be helped but in town it does become a pain. There is also a bad reflection from the plastic dash in the windscreen on sunny days (not many of those in the UK these days is there?) It can completly obscure your forward vision in some cases. Apart from that, mine has done over 150k and is still going strong. Things are getting a bit clunky and the air bag light is on but it passed it’s MOT again and will do me until it drops dead or become uneconomical to repair (I think the clutch must be going soon) Oh and the heater is awful....my feet stay frozen on winter days as the single lower vent barely breathes on them. I was thinking about changing to a C4 Grand Picasso after this but after reading all the reviews I think I might look elsewhere - I couldn’t live with a car I cannot rely on.

Just reading Bob’s reveiw and realized I could have written it myself! My left foot and shin always freeze in the Winter. The reflection from the dash is a real pain and the blind spot from the pillar is quite awkward. But it’s great to throw tools in, take stuff to the tip and when you have a problem you can usually find the answer to your question on-line on one of the many forums - Tim Watkins from Worcestershire

Submitted: 2010-09-14 | ID: 38439

Gill Stanton, France

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi 2000

We have had the car from new and now has 135,000km on the clock and bits are starting to need changing. It is the most comfortable, versatile car we have ever owned and will be considering a new one of this model when we change. The down rating from five to four stars is because I do find the quarter light causes blind spots, especially on bad weather days or at tricky junctions. Excellent all rounder for load and passengers.

Submitted: 2010-08-26 | ID: 38436

Simon Hickie, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi Desire 2005

I’ve owned this from new and have covered 82000 virtually trouble free miles. I had a dash rattle and thermostat replaced under warranty and apart from some service items, that’s been about it. Fuel economy has averaged around 48.5mpg overall from new (book figure 51 and I don’t mess about on the motorway). Switching away from the supplied Michelin Energy tyres has improved handling but worsened economy. I believe the 2.0hdi engine does not have a dual mass flywheel - this is a good thing. It’s due for a cambelt change in a couple of weeks - no idea how much this will cost though. Load capacity is excellent. When I replace it, it’s looking like being the Berlingo Multispace rather than the C4 Picasso - I just don’t like the idea of not having a proper handbrake.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-08-13 | ID: 38438

Bob Davis, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi sx 2010

Something must be very badly wrong with you’re motor R at Yorkshire, I recently purchased a Picasso 2.0 hdi sx, from a dealer in Batley, Yorks, at first I thought I had a fuel gauge problem, boy was I pleasantly wrong, how’s about these apples? from great yarmouth to Bolton in greater manchester, with a bit of local running around 267 miles, top up cost £23.20,I haven’t bothered to work out the mpg, I don’t think you could travel that distance, in that comfort, for that cost, by any other means. Also when returning home, bowling down the A1 at 72 mph, fuel computer showing 62 mpg, either I have the best on the road, or your’s is knackered, keep on persevering, you’ll find the problem eventually, or it’ll find you!!!

Submitted: 2010-08-11 | ID: 38437

Brian Comerford, Cheshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi 2005

I have had this car since new and in general I am reasonably happy because it is; 1) Comfortable 2) Flexible, (back seats down, folded up, easily removed) 3) Tough, good over bumps etc 4) Massive payload area (you won’t believe what I’ve carried in this car from fridge-freezers to wardrobes etc 5) Reasonably economical (40-50mpg), though nowhere near as good as my old ZX. There are a few notable problems; 1) It has annoying plastic rattles from around the window, 2) The vision for a tall person is not good when turning right or going around a roundabout because of those massive window/door pillars. 3) Doesn’t really like 4th gear at 30mph (prefers French town speed of 36mph before changing up) 4) The heater takes approx 20 minutes to warm up in winter (It takes me 22 minutes to get to work), 5) Main dealers are poor (especially here in Warrington) with practically no knowledge of the correct way to fault find etc. We had a problem with the braking system, in that the servo would somtimes not work when first driving off from cold, which can be a hell of a fright!!! They wanted us to go away and come back when it did it again!!! (Presumably if we didn’t die first).

Submitted: 2010-07-30 | ID: 38441

John Baines, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 sx 2006

I took my Citroen for the MOT test last week May 5 and it failed on the front o/s coil spring. The MOT garage repaired the car with a new coil spring, now there is a loud banging when I go over speed ramps or a bump. The garage has had the car back 3 times since and they say they can not find anything wrong. They have changed the spring 3 times, the anti roll bar, the top cover for the spring and it’s still knocking.

Submitted: 2010-05-12 | ID: 38434

James Blake, Derbyshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi exclusive 2006

For the family this is definately a car to consider as the room and comfort is the best in any car I have ever owned. My car is the new 1.6 hdi version and while it isn’t going to win any 0-60 races it is flexible and quiet, especially when cruising on the motorway. Practicality is spot on as it has a massive boot and you can slide or fold all the rear seats although according to Citroen you can only slide the middle seat. There are plenty of toys too including climate control, and a first for me with cruise control. 4 electric windows etc. Downsides? So far i havent really found any although my car’s light coloured seats will probably not stay clean for long, lol! So in summary if you need a large comfy well equipped family car you could do a lot worse!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2010-04-28 | ID: 38435

Ben Bruce, Perthshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 diesel Desire 2008

This is my second diesel 1.6 Picasso and is nothing like my 2005 one of the supposedly same spec. My 2005 diesel returned between 51 & 55mpg depending on length of journey, and to a lesser extent on speed. This 2008 Picasso, unfortunately bought from Arnold Clark, returnes about 47mpg at best and during this cold spell is down to 43mpg. I spent a year researching the reason for this diabolical fuel economy with NO HELP FROM ARNOLD CLARK OR CITROEN. Eventually, I found out that some of the newer Picasso’s were manufactured with an exhaust particle filter called FAP. This system has a tank which requires being filled up with a special chemical from time to time costing around £250. It also requires regeneration at 100,000 miles, or less if on short journeys, which costs around £500. Non of these changes to the engine were ever explained to me at time of purchase and I assumed that I was just buying a newer car same as the first. No one would buy a second car same as the first if the first was unsatisfactory!!!!!!! It appears that I was well & truly done and apparently there is nothing I can do about it. BE WARNED - any car, be it Ford, Volvo, Peugeot or Mini and Citroen, which are fitted with the 1.6d v6 engine may well include this expensive FAP fitment.

Submitted: 2010-01-19 | ID: 38428

Paul Edwards, London

Citroen Xsara Picasso Grand Picasso HDi 2008

Contrary to a lot of reviews I love this car, mine has been on the whole trouble free although an early mystery rain water leak caused the local main dealer to keep it for a week. Apart from that its spacious, economical, reliable and is good to drive. Added to the value for money, I’d certainly buy another and hope it would be as good as this!

Submitted: 2010-01-13 | ID: 38429

Brian Jenkins, Hampshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0hdi desire 2003

Just had the 37500 mile service done at a Citroen dealer. Since having this service, even on the day it was done, when driving it appears that the engine dies on me for 2 or 3 seconds then comes back to life again. It has been back to the dealers on five occasions now, on five consequetive days for this problem and the dealers cannot appear to solve the problem.Has anyone else had this problem and what is the answer?

I had the same trouble to the relays, have them checked, the garage never told me which one but it cured the problem - John Downing from Yorkshire

I also have a 2 litre HDI, it also cut out and putting my foot down it would pick up again. This fault did not show on dealers diagnostic. Eventualy traced to brake light switch under pedal easy to fit and under a tenner. Noticed brake light on in shop window when parked. hope this helps. Mine has just topped 100k on 02 plate and been relatively trouble free just the normal consumables, Regards - Ray Thomas from Somerset

I encountered the same problem with my 2.0l HDI, I took it to the dealer and he hooked it up to the diagnostic system, reset two fault warnings and it has been perfect since. Whole thing took about 10 minutes - Neil Searle from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-12-31 | ID: 38430

Lionel Knights, Norfolk

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6HDi 2006

This is the second Xsara Picasso I’ve had, the first was a 2.0HDi. The economy is really good, usually low to mid 50’s, however recent careful driving has regularly produced 58 - 61 mpg. In 56000 miles there haven’t been any problems with the vehicle and I would recommend this car if your looking for a comfortable ride with good luggage space for a family, or if you need to move bulky items about. The seating position is higher than most saloons which is a good advantage and the controls are easy to operate without being distracted from the road. The rear seats are individual which ensures that all passengers get a comfortable ride unlike other saloons.

Submitted: 2009-10-20 | ID: 38427

John Wood, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso Exclusive 2002

Good, comfortable with plenty of space inside. It is powerful enough but has a large turning circle.

Submitted: 2009-08-14 | ID: 38426

Verity Longmire, Nottinghamshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2004

A fantastic car perfect for families, young and old. Plenty of boot space plus added space when the entire back seats completely collapse. Above all it is an absolute dream to drive very smooth.

Submitted: 2009-06-01 | ID: 38494

Mick Durnall, Shropshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2000

A great roomy car that has been very reliable over the 4.5 years I have owned it.

Submitted: 2009-05-15 | ID: 38495

R At, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0HDi 2001

Excellent spacious seats - able to fit 3 child seats across the back, 2 with Isofix. Not impressed with fuel economy. Seem to get about 35mpg around town and 45mpg on a run - less if we have the roof box on. Solid car, we have had to fix odd bits on it. Eg: brakes, exhaust, but it is 7 years old now, so nothing not expected for its age. Reliable and drives brilliantly. Very comfy. Would buy again.

Submitted: 2009-03-09 | ID: 38496

Stuart Beardmore-Smith, Gloucestershire

Citroen Xsara Picasso Exclusive. 2006

I have owned two, the first from new for 4 years being the 1.8 petrol exclusive and the second a 06 plate 2.0 petrol exclusive. I was so impressed with my first picasso it made perfect sence to go for the second, now 2 1/2 years old I have not regretted that decission for a sec. The 52 plate exclusive was impressively equiped but I was very impressed with the additional equipment on the later model having traction control/cruise control/auto lights & wipers/boot net and improvements to int & ext styling and trim quality, in short given they are the same car the newer model drives and feels noticably better. The cars space and practicality for our family in this price bracket is hard to beat. I intend to continue along this road and buy the C4 picasso in a year or so. Thank you Citroen, keep up the good work.

Submitted: 2008-12-22 | ID: 38484

Chris Raynes, Somerset

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6Hdi 2008

As basic good value family transport, that can cope with kids, dogs and a whole family luggage this vehicle is still very hard to beat for the price. The 1.6Hdi is surprisingly quick for overtaking once it is away from a standing start. Ours easily achieves 55 to the gallon and gets driven very briskly when on long journeys. 34K and only one minor fault (heater fan switch) repaired under warranty. Services (non franchised) cheap. All tyres original. It does what it says on the tin. A great cruiser when loaded. Quiet and spacious. We paid just over �11k for ours new - on the net. Both my daughters have the 2.0Hdi version. Both delighted, both trouble free.

Hello, I’ve just read your report on the 1.6 diesel XPIC. Can you tell me please if your car is fitted with FAP or not. If fitted with FAP, how do you manage to get 55mpg? My email address is blondchaser64@gmail.com and I am very interested to receive your comments. Thank you - Rob Thomson from Fife and Kinross Shires

PLEASE tell how you get 55mpg from your 1.6 diesel XPIC. How do you measure your mpg and how many miles between top ups?? Thank you - Ben Bruce from Perthshire

Just seen questions. My car has done 47K now, another heater resistance gone -£60 quid fitted, also had to buy one tyre-rears still original and still in good nick. The onboard computer has done over 10,000 miles since last reset and is showing 54.9mpg. This car has a particulate filter but note it is not used much for short journeys, we have a non DPF Diesel Berlingo for those. If others are having consumption problems I guess they are using this engine for short journeys. It needs long hot runs to keep the exhaust clean and it also needs to be driven hard occasionally, up hills in lower gear. Run as i have run it, fuel consumption for such a big vehicle is astonishing, quite often the computer shows us whispering along at nearly 100 mpg. Range is upto 700 miles.. With a bit of effort on non motorway journeys 60 mpg is achievable. Had one other minor glitch in very cold weather (-10) a fuel sytem warning light came on, that was reset for nothing by my non franchised mechanic. He said something about preventing overfueling to protect the cat - Chris Raynes from Somerset

In response to those questions about the consumption, my 1.6HDi (110bhp version) is not fitted with the type of cat that needs fluid. I was under it yesterday for an oil change, it has a standard catalytic converter set right up under the manifold where it can get very hot, obviously the reason it works so well - Chris Raynes from Somerset

Submitted: 2008-12-10 | ID: 38479

Lynda Cockburn, Aberdeenshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2002

A very comfortable drive. Very reliable for the 2 years I had it. Only downside is that it had no holding power on ice or snow. Traded in, for that reason, for Nissan Almera Tino.

Submitted: 2008-12-08 | ID: 38478

Mick Rumelhart, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi 2005

Just an update since my last posting. The Picasso has found that it enjoys ’named’ diesel more than Tesco’s! ... drives much more smoothly on BP or Total, engine is much quieter and more responsive. On Tesco’s the engine response very ’on/off’; on the named brands it more controllable and just all round better... Even at a few more pence per litre it is well worth it! I still haven’t got used to the brakes.. A known problem on the 2.0 diesels ... they are so sharp! So you have to be heavier footed on the throttle and lighter on the brake pedal, and that is difficult. It also has the normal Picasso trait of being moved around a bit by sidewinds. The engine though is great on the motorway, quiet, powerful and smooth... It’s very easy to end up going faster than you should! I’m still happy with it, and if you need the space/size but with decent fuel economy (I’m averaging now around 55mpg), this is a car that should be high on your list to look at and test drive.

Submitted: 2008-11-14 | ID: 38485

Peter C, Hampshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 hdi vtx 2007

Great space, economy and comfort. After-sales service letting the experience down.

Submitted: 2008-10-14 | ID: 38487

Mick Rumelhart, Essex

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDI 2005

This is my second one, the first being a 1.8 SX on a Y plate which I owned for 4yrs. The diesel takes a little getting use to as you have to be a little heavier on the right foot and be a gear down on where you would be in the petrol! I mostly drive on the motorway and by staying between 56 to 60 mph I am getting just over 60mpg (based on the amount of fuel I put in, not on the on-board computer), I was getting around 45 in the 1.8 petrol driving in the same way... so a lot better. A great car, at good prices, versatile, roomy, nice high seating position and lots of ’kit’ on-board for the price. I would recommend the Picasso to anyone thinking of buying one.

Submitted: 2008-09-23 | ID: 38486

Peter Charlesworth, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

In addition to my last report... It was found that a part under the engine/radiator had been left off when repair/service had been done allowing stone to damage radiator. Citroen will still not replace this part, or replace the second radiator that was damaged due to this, or refund my money. They have gone down in my esteem and I’m due to change the car and am looking elsewhere, and at different manufacturers. I was disgusted at the treatment i received.

Submitted: 2008-05-19 | ID: 38488

Charlesworth Peter, Yorkshire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2006

I have had three Picasso’s. Good cars, value for money. I had a problem with third- radiators - stones keep hitting and putting holes in it, this was not covered by warranty. At £350 a time this was expensive. Has anybody else had similar problems?

Submitted: 2008-04-07 | ID: 38493

Mike Rutch, England

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2001

This car, well O-6O in 7 seconds, excellent for a family MPV; acres of space. The best in its class.

Mine does 0-60 in 2 mins!! - Iain Black from Scotland

I’m jealous, can’t do 60 round here for potholes and cash cows, sorry, speed cameras - John Holmes from Yorkshire

There is no Picasso on earth that will reach 60mph in 7 seconds! Do you mean 60 kilometers per hour? - Steve Lloyd from Essex

Submitted: 2008-04-07 | ID: 38489

Moira Tidwell, Lancashire

Citroen Xsara Picasso 2.0 Hdi 90 LX 5 dr 2007

Having a far flung family and three children I wanted a car that was spacious and comfortable for long journeys as we make at least one a month. I've had my Picasso for just under a year now and I've found it to be a very reliable choice. The kids have plenty of space, which cuts down on arguements and the boot has plenty of space for everything we need to pack. Maybe not the most exciting drive but definitely does what I need it to and not too heavy on fuel. Thumbs up.

Submitted: 2007-09-05 | ID: 38477

• A response has been made to Michael Davis (20/05/2014 17:14:08)
  • A response has been made to Dave Elliot (20/05/2014 17:10:25)

• colin's question has been answered: "It sounds like the Com unit. I had a similar problem with mine. I picked one up from a dismantlers for £65 and my garage fitted it for about £100. - Paul Davies from Swansea' '..." (17/09/2014 10:51:38)
  • GLEN BROWN's question has been answered: "I had the same problem for about 3 months, sometimes 2weeks between the problem happening. The engine fault used to go out after about an hour. All th - greg from Buckinghamshire' '..." (09/09/2014 18:36:58)

Renault Scenic