Citroen C4 consumer car reviews and road tests

Citroen C4

Citroen C4 consumer reviews by year of make:2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013

Citroen C4 consumer car reviews

John Fennelly, Lincolnshire

Citroen C4 VTR+ 2012

Had the car about a year now. Citroen dealers are rubbish, try and get a good independent garage. The car cost over 10,000 pounds, I wish I had got a Focus. Had brake problems warning abs/esp/asr/ and anti roll back system fault all came on because it started to snow. The car never hit target of 67.5 mpg, on average it does 61.5mpg. The cabin is nice. Would I buy another Citroen? No, keep to Ford, who have a good network.

Submitted: 2014-02-12 | ID: 37785

Mike Perkins, Hampshire

Citroen C4 1.6 Hdi 115hp 6-speed manual Exclusive 2013

Okay I have only done 2,000 miles so far but I am very pleased with the car. I received very good service from local dealer L.M.C. Bordon Hants. and because I wanted Babylon Red Pearlescent had to wait 3 months. At the moment I am getting average of 50 mpg. I did not know about turbo run down, but now that I do I will let the engine tick over for 30 seconds before turning off to let turbo slow down from about 130,000 rpm. The car is very comfortable at cruising speed and has a surprising turn of speed for overtaking when needed. I obviously cannot comment on reliability at the moment but the C4 does seem well put together and the interior is solidly built the brakes are outstanding and the traction and road feedback are all there; I am running on 225/45 17" Michelin tyres which came as standard with the Exclusive pack. I tend not to run the headlights or windscreen wipers on automatic as being in front of vehicles that do it often seems like your flashing the car ahead as you drive through dappled light on tree-lined roads and the wipers on auto seem to take just a little longer than you need to come on. I do suffer from lower back pain and the front seat massage function can give some relief.

Submitted: 2013-11-16 | ID: 37784

Andy Bynoth, Suffolk

Citroen C4 1.6 HDi SX EGS 2008

I can honestly say that this is just about the best car that I have ever had. In the past 30 months I have done about 40k miles without a single problem. In fact the car is coming up to 50k miles and there is still plenty of life left in the original factory fitted "eco" tyres. I love the electronic gear selection, and once you get used to the slightly unusual motion of the gear changes (if you have your foot hard down), it returns a great economy. Over the time that I have had the car I have returned an average of 58mpg. On long motorway runs I have had over 75mpg!! Great car, just bought another one.

Submitted: 2013-05-05 | ID: 37765

Wayne Everitt, England

Citroen C4 Hdi vtr auto 2011

I’d had the car for only 4 months when the radiator cracked; under the body plastic cover had fallen off, two round rubbers had fallen out of the bulkhead, the trim came off in front of the wing mirror as did the trim around the windscreen due to a broken clip. At only 43,000 miles the auto gear box is a sack of doggy do; in auto changes the gear change is incredibly slow just when you don’t want it to be. I always drive in manual, which is ok. The hands free phone kit jams, the start-stop only works sometimes and all pedals and switches move far too easily without the pronounced click; I quite often take off the right hand indicator and end up putting the left one on. Also, the brakes send you through the windscreen unless you do anything other than just lightly touch them - no where near enough resistance on the pedal. I will be fitting cheap after market disks and pads and I a hope that the brakes will be worse, hence better! Mpg is pants in comparison to stats just about get 50mpg if I’m lucky. Build quality is very poor indeed. Handling for the comfortable suspension is surprisingly good, this gets the two stars. Would I own one again? Absolutely NOT!

Submitted: 2013-03-08 | ID: 37770

Dean Mills, England

Citroen C4 1.4 VTR 2005

Problems with: Head gasket, boot, broken brake light wire, faulty speed sensor, oil pump, crank shaft and oil seal. It also has a little bit of lag on the acceleration that makes it feel like you’re going to stall. The car has only done 60K and I’ve had it since 50K. Absolute bag of rubbish!

Submitted: 2013-01-01 | ID: 37771

Peter Whapples, Leicestershire

Citroen C4 vtr+ 6speed auto airdream 2011

A very good car with good fuel economy and low road tax (2012 models even better). I did a run to Great Yarmouth and back and recorded a round trip figure of 72mpg. This is where the 6 speed auto comes into its own as you are always in the optimum gear for fuel economy. One complaint I have is the penny pinching idea of only providing a puncture repair kit and compressor, as on another trip I had the mishap of hitting a piece of metal, which fell of a lorry travelling the other way. My front offside deflated insantly. I pulled up in the begining of a bus lane and saw the rip in the tyre for which a punchture kit will not work. I was stuck in a strange town, but a local persn stopped and offered to take me to a near by tyre dept. Alas looking in the boot I saw there was no jack supplied or wheel brace so that squashed that solution. I did get a lift to the local tyre firm who were willing to come out to fix it for a call out fee of £50 plus the new tyre (which wasn’t the best price you could buy them for), but when we got back to the car it had been clamped costing me another £100 for the release fee and bringing the total bill to £227-50p. So when I got home I enquired about a spare wheel tyre, jack, wheel brace and the carrier to fit in the boot. The full retail price including vat was just under £250. My dealer has done me a good deal at less than £180. So how much to Citreon had they provided every thing in the first place? I shall not buy any make of car now that does not provide a spare wheel etc. Just think if it had been in the middle of the night!

Submitted: 2012-08-18 | ID: 37766

Wissam Saliba, Lebanon

Citroen C4 1.6 2012

I have a 1.6 hatchback C4 with manual transmition. I have driven it for 50,000 KM and ’til now it has been problem free. The only problem I have is that the rear windows make a cracking sound when operating, but they open and close normally. The car handles great and performs well with a comfortable interior and good quality material used. The 205/55 r16 rims give it much more stability than other cars in its category, but although it is a comfortable ride on normal roads it is not very good on bumpy roads. All-in-all the car looks and feels great for its price.

Submitted: 2012-06-09 | ID: 37767

Joyce Hall, Hampshire

Citroen C4 2008

I had a similar problem three days ago. I was slowing down to turn left when I heard a bang. I quickly breaked and stopped. There was a speed control faulty sign showed on the dash and the service light came up shortly afterwards. The service light remained while the other information went off. I took the car in to have it checked and was told it was a gear box fault. I then contacted the gear box specialist. The car was towed away and three days later I was informed that the gear box was ok and the car was driving ok. There does not appear to be a problem. I still have a problem. What exacely went wrong? What happened when I heard the bang? What is the solution? When I find out I will come back to you. I hope to get a complete diagnostic later this week.

Submitted: 2012-05-16 | ID: 37768

Mel Clarke, Hertfordshire

Citroen C4 SX Auto 2006

The car jolts as the service light comes on and the panel displays speed control/gear box fault. It over revs but cannot accelerate, I have to pull over, switch off and start again. It happens about 5 mins into a journey. Booked in for diagnostic check in 2 days time And dealer said to receptionist to book in for faulty gearbox! Wondering if he will try any dealer tricks as I’m a lady. Have read other comments regarding problems in cold weather. Did not happen this afternoon at 16 deg.

Submitted: 2012-05-09 | ID: 37769

Phil Tong, Yorkshire

Citroen C4 Diesel 1.6 2008

I bought an ’08 C4 Picasso 1.6 Diesel second hand a year ago. I like the look of the car and all the gadgets, but two weeks ago I went to start the car and it reported the auto hand-brake faulty. After a lot of messing about I manually released it. On the way home the de-pollution light came on, then the ABS warnings, in-fact by the end of the 45 min journey nearly all the warnings were on, and I had no speed display. I took it into a local auto-electrical company and they found that the wiring harness, below the battery had corroded. Many of the wires had disintegrated. I contacted our local Citreon dealer and they offered to replace the wiring harness for £1,200 !!. Fortunately the auto electrical guy managed to repair the wiring, and the car has been ok since. I think there is a design problem there.

Citroen C4’s have a water ingress problem which causes the harness to rot. The wiring harness should only need to be replaced if a car has been on fire. Citroen recalled most of the cars and coated the bulkhead to reduce the ingress. However, they are refusing to acknowledge responsibility for the damage caused to the harness etc. by their manufacture / design problem. All Citroen C4 owners need to contact not only Citroen Customer Services but also UK Trading Standards as Citroen are pretending that they are not covered by UK law. All Citroen C4 owners should contact their M.P. as well to try and force an investigation into Citroen’s trading practises in the UK. - Liz Rose from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2012-03-06 | ID: 37782

Darren Manns, Hertfordshire

Citroen C4 C4 VTS HDi 2005

Great car with endless torque, stunning to look at in this spec and this model has the excellent 6 speed gear box, new fuel filter and using premium diesel makes a big difference on this car. Build quality is good with quality plastics, JBL sound system is very good, the only one thing I worry about is if it goes wrong as I think it will be costly.<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-16 | ID: 37774

Darren Manns, Staffordshire

Citroen C4 VTS HDi Coupe 2005

I have done a review but after reading some things, it is enough to put the fear of God into some people. I have the VTS HDi coupe and it’s terrific, it does have its problems like the cd autochanger has never worked. The directional xenons are deselected as there is a sensor problem, both these problems are repairable at a cost, I have however had a recent problem of ’DE-POLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY’. After thinking "sh*t, this is costly", I decided to get the local garage to put the fault finder on it (£25), it was ’FUEL PRESSURE LOW’. I was advised to avoid supermarket fuel at all costs, I redexed with diesel cleaner and after 2 full fills of BL premium I had the fuel/diesel filter changed. She is now as sweet as a nut, regards how smooth the engine runs. I have had the clutch slip when on motorways pulling in 5th or 6th, not suprised with the brutal torque this engine has. If need be, I will have to have a new clutch, it is okay at the minute, sour may have self adjusted as they can. I heard the tyres are expensive, in life you get what you pay for and I had two budget 215 50 17s fitted with alloy protection for £55 each and they hold the road well. My point here is read reviews of all cars and you get good and bad, all cars go wrong, all cars need repairing, personally this car with all its little faults is the best car I have owned. Also when you have those 320d or the Audi A4 up ya trumpet on motorways and you pull away, they look and wonder what it is. I had an ST Fiesta driver stop and ask how the hell I pulled away from him so easily, my reply was "340 torques, not too clever on take off but once rolling, it can spin the earth".<br /><br />

Submitted: 2012-01-16 | ID: 37775

Ian Gunning, Denbighshire

Citroen C4 2008

I purchased my Citroen C4 from Slaters, Abergele in June 2009. After the warranty had run out this year and whilst travelling along the A55 the anti-pollution warning came on seconds later the car lost power and eventually cut out. Due to there being no hard shoulder this left me blocking the inside lane, a nightmare, especially during a busy time. The car restarted and got me home, but the engine management light remained on for a couple of days. I had no further problems for a couple of months until last night whilst travelling back from Ruthin the same thing happened again on a busy route, forcing me to drive onto a grass verge. This time despite restarting on three occasions it continued to be a problem and I had to call out a recovery vehicle. This is dangerous, I have now read the posts and other sites referring to this problem and wonder why Citroen havent recalled vehicles? My C4 is currently with Slaters, Abergele and is hopefully getting fixed!

Hello, we’ve been having the same problem. The mechanics where we live have no idea about Citroen. Did you get the problem fixed? What did they say the problem was? Thank you for your help - from Australia

We are having the same problem and told it was the steering sensor cost of £465 - John Miller from England

My C4 hdi (07 plate) has done almost 70,000 miles. For the last couple of weeks, it has had an ’antipollution’ fault showing on and off. Seems to be triggered by overtaking/surge of power. Took it to a local garage who put it on a diagnostic machine that showed a ’low fuel pressure’ fault. The mechanic said fuel pressure however was fine. He has fitted a new fuel filter (although it didn’t need one, but may have had water etc in the fuel) and cleared the fault. Got home fine, will monitor the situation - Michelle Duck from Yorkshire

Depollution system fault and limp mode lack of power tuned out to be dirty air filter - Philip Lumley from Lincolnshire

Citroen C4’s have a water ingress problem which they already know about. Although they recalled some C4’s in 2012 to coat the bulkhead to reduce the ingress problem they refuse to do anything about the problems caused by the fault. Water caused the main harness (wiring loom) to rot. This should only need to be replaced if a car has been on fire. The harness costs around £1265 to replace plus est. 20 hrs labour so customers are looking at a £3000 + bill for a Citroen design/manufacture fault. All C4 owners should contact Citroen Customer Services and UK Trading Standards. I would also recommend contacting your MP because if enough of us do then an investigation into Citroen trading practises in UK will have to be investigated. Be prepared to petition in the small claims court against Citroen to recover your costs if your Citroen garage has already got you to pay for repairs. - Liz Rose from Derbyshire

Submitted: 2011-12-06 | ID: 37776

Tom Joyce, Derbyshire

Citroen C4 eHDi Exclusive EGS 2011

This car has exceeded my already high expectations. At 6’5", I needed plenty of room in the cabin, and a seat that would protect my back, rather than fold me forward at the sternum. I find the new C4 seat better for me than the Mercedes S Class or BMW 7 series! The doors close quietly with well-crafted precision, whilst the quietness in the cabin is not only ’as good as’ the class above, as the marketing hype claims, but possibly exceeds some of those examples. This is a very quiet car at all speeds. I have noticed that the acoustic windscreen does a particularly good job in this area. Rear headroom is compromised by the space taken for the cover of the panoramic sunroof to retract into. And as nice as the sunroof is, it is not really appreciable by those in the front. It is great for those in the back, especially on long scenic tours. But for those who, like me, rarely carry rear passengers, and coupled with the limited headroom for them when I do, I would not hurry to spend the extra on this feature. The Denon stereo upgrade is essential, for me. It is not life-changing, merely better than average. I hate to think what the standard system sounds like in comparison. The Denon has plenty of bass and high range detail, but can lack in mid range detail. There is not a full graphic equaliser, just a preselected choice of about five ambiences eg rock, classical, etc. The sound lacks a certain ’quick-ness’, when compared with the upgraded stereo in a Saab, for example. The adaptive(steering) lighting is wonderful. After driving on twisty B roads in challenging conditions, you realise how much more confidence it imparts. It is a major contribution to safety that all cars should have as standard! I feel. Roadholding is absolutely fine. It has all the firmness I would ever want, whilst still being compliant and cushioning. The professional reviewers who criticise it for not being up to Focus standards, say, are just idiots who help feed immature boy-racer irresponsible driving styles. It’s not the car, but the driver, that makes sporty driving both fun yet safe!!! The engine is exceptionally quiet, even from cold. The EGS gearbox does take getting used to, as everyone says, but this is no criticism. Rather, it makes driving more interesting, in an age when cars can be so safe and competent as to be boring. My S Class was exactly that - boring. The 1.6 diesel might look tame on paper, but in the hands of a competent driver will overtake perfectly easily ini mid range, without running out of grunt. The fuel economy so far looks like matching the manufacturer’s claimed figures. I am already getting 60mpg on a cross country run. The whole package is just ace, for the money. I only have the top-spec due to a generous workplace lease scheme, but would say it will be an even more fantastic value car when bought secondhand. For those of you who are not sure of my credentials, I have owned many high end cars with power and toys aplenty, so for me to recommend the new C4 is really saying something.

Submitted: 2011-11-18 | ID: 37772

Steve Wood, Derbyshire

Citroen C4 sx auto 2007

What a bag of rubbish! I’ve had the car one year and had various problems: The gear box went bang, the back shocks needed replacing, the gasket under cam shaft carrier has gone 6 times and a few other problems. Stay clear! The car had 12200 miles when I bought it and now has 25000.

Submitted: 2011-07-28 | ID: 37773

Mike Kosloff (Snr), South Africa

Citroen C4 1.6hdi 2007

I purchased a 2007 C4 1.6 hdi with 17000 miles at end of 2010. The bodywork is very good except for the passenger side front mudguard, which keeps coming loose every time the car is used. The glovebox is badly designed for a car like this as it’s pretty shallow and barely holds the handbooks; the real problem is that it jams closed from time to time and is a pig to get open again. The onboard computer cannot for some reason be reprogrammed to indicate l/100km useage. The front indicator lights are a real problem and continually give in and no sooner is one replaced then the other gives up; this has happened on 5 occasions now and is irritating, making me wonder what’s going to be next. Money has been saved in the boot area as well; the spare wheel bounces around all the time causing rattles in the rear. But, and I have to say this, the engine is fabulous, giving up to 54mpg on the open road with incredibly smooth power all the time. For me, you can keep your BMWs and other very expensive cars. I’ve owned Clubs, DS20/5, C5 2.2hdi Estate, Xantia Estate and Xsara 2.0hdi Estate and all have been fantastic. It would be nice if Citroen could just improve their quality a bit more.<span style="white-space: pre;"> </span>

I purchased Citroen C4 hdi vtr +plus from a Vauxhall garage in March 2008 and the service I received was the best I have ever had. I took it into my local Citroen dealer to question a rumble I was getting from the front suspension and a quote for £845.00+vat was given. I booked it into the dealer who I purchased the car from and they only found two of the eight faults. My local Citroen dealer had said it needed urgent attention a front cv rubber boot and a front suspension drop down link. They had the car in at 9.00am in the morning and even sent one of their drivers 20 miles away to the nearest Citroen dealer to get the parts and had it back on the road by 3.00pm the same day. Now that’s service. Citroen dealers are rubbish in every way. I phoned the Citroen dealer and explained everything and was told their technicians look for ways to make extra money because they’re instructed to do by management. That’s out of order. My Citroen C4 is fantastic, economical, comfy, and practical. Avoid Citroen dealers if you can - Mark F from England

The Citroen dealer you phoned TOLD YOU their technicians are told to be dishonest? Really, or are you fibbing a bit? - Steve RatPatrol from Australia

Submitted: 2011-07-08 | ID: 37736

Ben, Shropshire

Citroen C4 110 HDi SX 2006

I love the car and would give it a 4.5 star rating if I could. Bought last year at 79k miles and has been faultless in the 10k since - until this week when a front coil spring snapped, but fortunately the AA’s home breakdown repair cover has met the cost, to my surprise. Engine seems great, economy over 50mpg out of town even with a heavy right foot. The 110 engine is much more capable than the 92 version, the ride is not quite up to my old 306 but soft away from the biggest bumps, I made sure to steer clear of the 17 inch wheels which always ride harshly in this car. Cornering on the limit is very good, though not quite such sharp steering as a Focus, once you get used to it the car is very quick and accurate. I tried a number of C4s before buying this one and they do seem to vary a lot in history, and how well screwed together they seem, mine has no rattles or squeaks and an intact glovebox. Worth getting a good one, because of the great styling and useful electronics, its a shame the eye level central display has gone in the new design, even in the DS4.

Submitted: 2011-04-13 | ID: 37755

Dan Thomas, England

Citroen C4 1.6sx HDi 2005

Knowing that there have been several problems with build quality on the C4, I thought twice about buying a new one. So I saw my current C4 last month and had to buy it as it is a good car (ie. all of the usual faults had been repaired including the glove box). It’s done 60k miles and is running like new, so I think the key is to wait until some really unfortunate soul has endured the expensive repair costs and buy a second hand model, which isn’t ideal I know. Sorry if this upsets but so far I can’t fault it.

Submitted: 2011-03-25 | ID: 37756

Mark Higgitt, England

Citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6HDI 2008

Purchased my C4 when it was 1yr old with 11k on clock. Found clutch pedal a little high at the beginning but soon found a suitable seating position. Looked at Focus and Golf before buying but both seemed "boring" compared to C4. Instrument displays and steering wheel with fixed central boss are interesting! (Harks back to citroen’s innovative past). Car is now 3 years old with 65k mileage, handling and performance still great with no major reliability issues. Averaging 55mpg even when driven "briskly" which this car is happy to do. (Often throw it round a corner just for fun!). Drove a Focus hire car in Germany recently - disappointed!<br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-03-05 | ID: 37764

Z Rahman, England

Citroen C4 1.6 HDI 90 2005

Hi, I just wanted to add my review of the C4 1.6 Hdi 90 manual- 2005 model. Having faced some very expensive repairs bills, I can confidently say that I will never buy a French car ever again. I am a professional driving instructor and use my car for training learner drivers so a little more than average wear and tear is expected, but the list of failures at low mileage is not acceptable. 1. Gearbox failure at 43k... reconditioned g/box and new clutch £800 2. EGR valve failure at 45k ....£250 inc fitting (bought off ebay dealer price very expensive) 3. and now..at 46.5k drive shaft noise and wheel bearing noise... repair bill £££’s need to get it booked in at my local garage.. 4. oil pressure light on.. checked oil level is fine... again £££’s not to mention previous wheel bearing replaced at around 30k.. plus glove box handle broke... various other squeaking and rattling noises from the interior panels.. overall its a very poorly built car. Another family member has a Peugeot, which is from the same group of manufacturers, which has also had numerous problems. Having previoulsy owned Japanese and German cars I made a huge mistake of buying a French car..NEVER AGAIN..!!

Hi, I had the oil level lights problem on my son’s C4. I changed the oil, filter and switch and it solved the problem. Hope I’m in time to help. Sorry only just found this site - Peter Watkins from Blaenau Gwent

I have a C4 Auto Petrol and have had numerous problems with faults, from pollution fault to engine fault. It’s cost me a fortune so far - Sarah Lewis from England

Submitted: 2011-02-04 | ID: 37757

Danny Bill, Renfrewshire

Citroen C4 EGS HDI VTR 2007

Purchased car with 300mls on clock and 3yrs warranty, fully serviced to date. A problem with the actuator on gearbox was fixed under warranty. Recently the engine started revving, rev dial going through the six gears, resulting in clutches burned out. Has done 37000mls and won’t be 4yrs old till March. Expected car to be more reliable. No give and take with garage £1,100 approx to fix clutches.

Submitted: 2011-01-26 | ID: 37760

Simon Johns, England

Citroen C4 VTS 2005

I have got a problem with the Cruise Control For some reason when it has been activated within a few seconds The SERVICE warning pops up and the Cruise Control Deactivates! It doesn’t reduce speed like a previous post just the Cruise Control stops working. I have had the car serviced but not main dealer. So the mileage to next service has not been reset. Not sure if this would make a diffrence though! Other than this problem I have had this car for four and a half years and it has been very reliable.<br /><br />

This is a problem with the brake switch on the passenger side. Had this problem for ages and replacing it fixed it. Apparently easy to do and a cheap fix - Tony Stott from Ireland

An instant fix for this (but not permanent as it will happen again from time-to-time) is to turn off the cruise control with the cruise/off/speed control roller switch and then flick it back on again straight away. Cruise is instantly back on line. The problem is relatively benign and doesn’t happen that often (it’s annoying that it happens at all, mainly) so can be lived with without searching for a fix. I had various things done to my 2.0 VTR under warranty, including the brake switch thingy and it still happens but it’s no big deal. The same thing happens to my wife’s 1.6Hdi EGS (only when I drive it apparently) and it seems to happen most when parking in our garage and in car parks - I often touch the brake and then the accelerator (almost simultaneously) and cop heaps when the system beeps and that SERVICE light comes on and the "Cruise Control Faulty" message flashes up - ah well, such is life! - Chris C from Australia

Submitted: 2011-01-03 | ID: 37761

Russell Fisher, England

Citroen C4 1.6 SX petrol 2008

Bought this one 10 months old in Jan 2009. Got a good price though would have been wiser to arrange own finance as I’m stuck with Citroen HP. Do bear in mind though that they will negotiate on finance and I got a rate way below what they offer in the showroom. The car is a cheap and cheerful stylish bit of kit. Interior a bit flimsy and build quality a bit low - budget. I have been reporting a suspension noise since buying the car and at both 20 and 40K services was told that they had tweaked some minor cover to alleviate my noises. The noise from the front end has become steadily worse and since the old chestnut dodgy CD player was starting to skip I put the car into Luffields of Loughborough pointing out the noise to a mechanic who came for a drive round the block with me. I have been told that the offside shock absorber is defective and a new strut will be fitted. When I expressed concern that shock absorbers should be replaced in pairs I was told that this was not necessary. I contacted Citroen UK and they have nobody available to discuss technical issues, referring me to the dealers as the ’experts’. I contacted another local Citroen dealer (Bristol Street) posing as a customer wishing to have one shock absorber replaced and was recommended to fit a pair! surprise! when I contacted Luffields with this they repeated the offer to fit a single shock absorber. My experience seems to match that of many other Citroen owners. Cheap and cheerful product if you don’t expect too much in the way of refinement. Dealer support absolutely appalling which is probably not entirely their fault as they can only offer to replace what the service department will pay for. I’ve owned them for years from 2cv to CX 8 seater but I reckon this will be my last one.

Submitted: 2010-12-23 | ID: 37739

John Davies, Cheshire

Citroen C4 1.6HDi 110 VTR+ Manual 5 door 2005

I bought this car when it was 9 or 10 months old and 4 years and 75,000 miles later, have been totally delighted with it. I just drive along, at the speed limit, on cruise control, listening to my iPod in a stylish, comfortable, economical, reliable and safe car, letting the A/C, wipers and lights take care of themselves. It’s so relaxing to drive and long journeys are a breeze. There has not been a single unscheduled day off the road in 4 years. There were three items attended to under warranty - a replacement dipstick; a new Climate Control unit and a replacement turbo heat shield. The local Citroën dealer is a bit expensive, but they do a good job. Michelin Exaltos in the obscure size of 205×50 R17 are VERY expensive, but otherwise first class, lasting over 25,000 miles on the front and twice that on the rear. They probably reduce fuel consumption by 2 or 3 mpg as well. Last year I replaced the front discs (53,000 miles) and this year the rears (74,000 miles) The DV6 engine is superb, powerful and economical, bullet-proof even, and it’s no wonder it’s now in small BMWs. Mpg has never fallen below 50mpg, and on a leisurely drive to Andorra and back, the trip computer recorded 60mpg for the journey of over 2,000 miles. The early VTR+s have all the goodies, and the pull out in boot is tailor made to accept a cardboard crate of 6 wine bottle. I’ve never owned a car for such a long period, and while the economic argument is that’s time to trade it in, I’m reluctant to part which such a super small saloon. Someone is going to get a gem when I sell it - probably for another, though I see Citroën have removed a stack of goodies from the current VTR+s.

Submitted: 2010-10-13 | ID: 37747

Steve Livingston, Malta

Citroen C4 1.4 SX 2007

I am usually extremely biased in favour of cars I buy - however, this bloody thing was a big mistake. Quality issues with the cabin, problems with the electronic child lock (won’t lock at all), oil pressure issues and today it broke down for the second time. The latest issue seems to be the engine management computer. I was stupid enough, like with a few ex-girlfriends, to go for good looks. Never again!!!! I have ordered the wife to punch me if I ever look at Citroen again.

I would avoid Arnold Clark where I bought mine. Had NOTHING but problems since day 1 with this car. ITS A HEAP!!! I feel your pain, Regards - Shaun Gibson from Mid-Lothian (Edinburghshire)

My son and daughter in law bought a C4 and it has been the most expensive mistake they have ever made. The car was not very old when they bought it, and within a couple of months the engine management system kept failing, cutting the engine down to idle when driving, and oil pressure light kept giving warnings. They took it to a Citroen specialist, who took it apart and charged £1,200. Then a couple of months later, it happened again with the engine management system. We went to another garage to see if they knew what was going on, they did huge amount of work and cost another £1,100. It ran ok for the next couple of months, then the electrics burnt out and is now in garage to have that sorted for another few hundred. Citroen have a lot to answer for with these piles of junk. My son is now going to sell it as soon as is out of garage and running again. He will never buy another Citroen - Gail Richard from England

Submitted: 2010-10-11 | ID: 37744

Charlene, England

Citroen C4 1.4 sx 2005

I bought my C4 2 years ago, within a few months of having the car it was coming up an anti-pollution fault it went back to the garage 3 times with this same fault. Finally they sorted this problem then the radiator decided to pack in, then 2 weeks ago the anti-pollution fault decided to pop back up and say hello, the car was "fixed" twice but as soon as I got in the fault came straight back up, I was informed this would not be paid for by the dealership and I had to stump up the cost as it is a software issue! I am currently waiting to take the car back in the garage to be "fixed" again! aswell as these problems the glove compartment handle has snapped off and in winter it is awful trying to get into the car. I am currently looking for a new car and hopefully I will have rid of the hassel by the end of the month! It has been the most unreliable car I have ever owned and would never recommend anyone buying one.

Had my C4 3 years the oil pressure light comes on all the time been to garage several times now just put up with it. Now the anti-pollution light has come on don’t know what it means but not getting it fixed, car would be better of as scrap! - from Essex

Submitted: 2010-10-02 | ID: 37742

Ian Galstaun, England

Citroen C4 Coupe 2007

I bought this car about three months ago after reading all the reviews. It has always had problems squeaky brakes/Oil leaking out from the air valves/rear seats won’t lock/glove section sticks. Have taken it back to warranty twice but the problems still exits, took it back to part exchange for another model but was getting such a raw deal that I will never buy a Citroen car again.

Submitted: 2010-09-27 | ID: 37741

Joe Avery, Cheshire

Citroen C4 5 door hatchback 2006

I purchased my car in june 2006 it has been faultless, now it has clocked up 43300 miles on its first set of tyres, replaced last friday all treads were low but still legal. I average around 70m.p.g but according to the computer the best I have ever achieved was 83mpg over 80 miles. I cant bear to consider changing as the depreciation is very bad and an insult to such a fine car.

Submitted: 2010-09-26 | ID: 37740

B Ross, Somerset

Citroen C4 2007

Had the car about a month now, did have to go back for a warranty issue; boot handle replacement. Boot would unlock when doors opened, a known fault microswitch. I purchased from a dealer with 12 month waranty. I intended to change car or extened warranty in a years time so far very good lots of toys. MPG about 32 around town much better on the run. ; )<br /><br />

I have a similar problem with the boot that kewpt unlocking on its own but now will not unlock at all. I also have found that it seems to have a lot of road rumble which on reading these reports should not be happening. This is still under warranty and I now intend to take it in. Thanks for your review, it has helped identify that this problem is not unusual. My C4 vtr is 09 reg - Arlene Mack from Lancashire

Submitted: 2010-09-18 | ID: 37753

Jadranka, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Citroen C4 2010

A very good car, very low costs - about a 80 EUR for a service. It is so nice to drive a car like this, my next car is definitely going to be the new C4 in November.

Submitted: 2010-08-05 | ID: 37749

Don Williams, Sussex

Citroen C4 Exlusive 2007

Bought it with 5k on speedo and it is superb - fast a bit thirsty about 32-36mpg the cruise control works well use it all the time it has the tiptronic gear box (think that’s what it’s called), plenty of room and has masses of extras. I am trading it Sept 10 for a new C3 diesel airdream, but will be sorry to see the C4 go.

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 37748

Alison Day, Wiltshire

Citroen C4 Cachet 2008

Has anyone experienced early clutch failure? This is my 4th C4 and has done 21.,000 but the clutch has failed. Each of the other C4’s I have had have done between 40 and 60 K miles with no problems. The dealership has informed me I have to pay to replace this as it is wear and tear! And perhaps my driving style had changed. Enraged I contacted Citroen expecting some good customer service after my family buying 7 new cars every 3 years from Citroen but apparently brand loyalty means nothing to them. I have been advised to pay up and that if I take it to an independent then they wash their hands of the car! We are currently researching another manufacturer in order to change after a family history of 30 years with Citroen. Had I truly driven that carelessly then I would have happily paid but in comparison with 3 similar cars this one is well below my expectations. If anyone else has experienced similar difficulties please contact me as I have now appointed an independent court expert and hope Citroen will eventually listen and take responsibility

I am having different faults in this car since i bought it, anti pollution and many more - Nweze Emmanuel Obasi from Czech Republic

Hi there, in response to your review on early clutch faliure... After a load of banger cars, I thought I would finally finance a new run around and purchased a Citroen C4 Hatcback 1.4 2007. I bought the car myself in May 2010. I have only been driving the car for 6 months. The fuel consumption is really bad, bought at 16,000 miles and now 23,000. I am a careful driver who does not hold or burn out the clutch. However, on the 6th of November, I started to smell what I can only describe as an eggy / electrical smell. I took my car to the Citroen dealership as it was still under warranty. The dealership did a diagnostic and said they felt that the burning was comming from a slipped clutch and quoted me £600 to get it fixed! I said I had only had it 6 months, was a careful driver etc. I do not know what to do, incase it is something else such as radiator / A/C and I certainly do not want to pay out money to strip down my car and find out it is not the clutch!! There has been other similar threads from C4 owners, and I do not know what to do. Apparently clutches are not under warranty and seen as wear and tear. Please can you respond to me on my e-mail to sk_osullivan[at]hotmail[dot]com thanks - Sarah O’Sullivan from England

Submitted: 2010-07-23 | ID: 37750

Dave Jones, Northamptonshire

Citroen C4 VTR + 2010

I would not ever get another of these EGS cars. It is always revving very high before changing gear, and often has no drive at all. You have to put it in neutral and back to drive before anything happens. It often spends an age thinking about what gear to be in so is absolutely no use for fast pull offs. The radio cuts off after a few minutes in its eco mode and the only way to get it back or or for that matter open the windows etc., is not just a case of turning the ignition on but you actually have to start the car, very eco. Not much room inside, interior marks easily, poor front and rear visibility for parking. wing mirrors awkward to adjust even though they are electric they have a habit of not going where they need to. Traction control light often flicks on and off but shows no fault. Generally nice to look at but awful quality. Ignore its good fuel economy as you wont get it, in fact this is worse than my 10 year old kangoo 1.9. If I could change this I would and the car has only done 700 miles. I can honestly say this is the worst car I have had the misfortune of driving. I gave it 1 star as unfortunately you cant give it a zero which is what it deserves. Citroen keep you waiting and age to deliver and all you get for your patience is a pile of junk.

Submitted: 2010-06-18 | ID: 37717

Manduth Ramchander, South Africa

Citroen C4 1.8 petrol 2009

I have found the windscreen to have microspeckles when in the full glare of the sun, which tends to impede driving. Further, the rear silencer seems to excessively heat up causing the floor inside the boot to heat up; this is very unusual.

Submitted: 2010-05-19 | ID: 37718

Gary Murray, England

Citroen C4 Hatchback 2007

Bought second hand. A good runner, giving reasonable mileage, c.48mpg at 65mph. Cruise control sometimes indicates "service" but just a quick flick of the Clutch and/or Accelerator micro-switches cures this. Somewhat under-powered I think, as pulling off in 1st frequently gives horrendous judder throughout the chassis, but this disappears when the fuel gauge shows half full. MAJOR BUGBEAR: Unlike most cars the spare wheel is secured by a strap, not a butterfly nut/bolt. The strap comes loose, leading to an almighty thump from the spare jumping up and down when negotiating speed bumps etc.

Submitted: 2010-05-18 | ID: 37719

Gareth Higginbotham, Conwy

Citroen C4 VTR+ 2007

I used to love my car. Very agile and manoeuvrable. The automatic lights and wipers work wonderfully well. Cruise control and speed limiter are superb features that I use a great deal. The fixed hub is brilliant- you know where the controls are! BUT my cruise control/speed limiter has started cutting out and, when it does so, the engine goes into some sort of ’safe’ mode where the revs are limited. Face even a gentle motorway hill and you could be down to 45itmph very quickly!! (The fault rights itself every time you turn off the engine, but only for another few miles - if you’re lucky.) As other reviewers say, Citroen can’t solve this problem. My car has been to Slaters in Abergele 3 times and there has been no improvement. DON’T BUY THIS CAR. Once it develops this fault, you’ll have to rush out and buy another car. Registered dealers can’t repair it and you dare not drive a car whose power will suddenly reduce without warning.

Hi, it couldn’t be due an eloys fluid topup could it? I had a c5 with exactly the same symptoms. Basically eloys is injected into the Exhaust Cat from time to time to burn off the impurities it catches. At around 70000 my C5 started having no power on hills, basically the turbo cut out or rather was cut out by the ECU as it hadn’t been able to clear the pollutants in the exhaust as the eloys needed topping up - Simon Brue from Lancashire

UPDATE: I was hasty in writing my earlier review. Slaters have repaired the car - under the guarantee - and it is as good as new. Well done, Slaters of Abergele, for successfully undertaking a repair that, judging by other reviews, many garages cannot manage. I love my C4 again. When I thought I’d have to change my car and looked for a replacement, I could not find anything in the same price range that had nearly such a good specification. Competing salesmen would boast all sorts of features on their cars, and I would think "my C4 has that - and more". The digital speedo is excellent and the speed limiter is even more useful than the cruise control. Set it and you can’t break that speed limit or set off that speed camera no matter how hard you try (well - for safety, you can if you put pedal to metal). I hope to drive this car for many more miles yet. When I do change, it will almost certainly be to another C4. And Slaters of Abergele is the place I’ll be going to do my buying and my servicing - Garth Higginbotham from Conwy

Did you find out how they fixed it ? I have a problem with the cruise control where occasionally I will get a "speed control" warning flash up on the display. It’s never gone into limp home mode as a result although I have had that happen when the depolution warning light has come on once or twice. Luckily that was when I was parked. If you can tell us what the problem was and how they solved it you might be helping a lot of C4 owners :) - Saul Hudson from Hertfordshire

Much the same on my 2010,8000 ml Citroen vtr C4 1.6 auto; intermittant fault on gearbox, no warnin lights any gear any speed it just starts shaking not unlike wheel balance problem but lasts 1 or 2 minutes but if I brake or accelerate it disappears. Has been back to Lookers Blackpool 3 times now, they said take a note of the milage when it happens because they can trace the "fault" back on the computer. I’ll give it a month of testing then they can have it back period! - Jim McKernan from England

Submitted: 2010-05-12 | ID: 37721

Anthony Perkins, England

Citroen C4 1.4 sx 2005

Bought my Citroen one year ago, looks great, smooth drive, good braking, reasonably comfortable seats although not great material, nice dash layout, glove box handle rubbish broken already. The handling in cold weather is not great. Stereo brilliant quality. If you haven’t a good warranty get one as there are lots of expensive parts that can go wrong, I have only 26,000 miles on mine and apart from tyres and bulbs especially I have had no major problems apart from a new coil pack which packed up after only 8 months. Overall good reliable medium sized economical family car and reasonable to insure.

Submitted: 2010-04-28 | ID: 37720

Chris Berry, Yorkshire

Citroen C4 VTR + 2005

This was my dream car, ever since viewing the robot transformer advert. always wanted one, now wish I hadn’t bothered. It looks gorgeous, I got the 3 door version. Loads of tech inside the car, but my car is plauged with faults. I’ve had it now 5 months and it’s been back to the garage 9 times now. It started off with the cruise control not working, the air conditioning blowing hot air instead of cold (not handy when you have a dog in the car), and the biggest fault I’ve had is trouble getting the thing started. Some mornings it just refuses to turn over until after trying 15 times. I’ve had all sorts replaced trying to fix the issue; the battery, a map sensor, and lots of different sensors. Hopefully it will be going back to the garage soon for good and I will finally get my refund. LOOKS GOOD, BUT IS BUILT LIKE A CITROEN (CHEAP AND UNRELIABLE).

Submitted: 2010-03-10 | ID: 37726

Tom M, Lancashire

Citroen C4 2009

This car is truly abysmal. I think everyone should boycott Citroen or maybe ever French cars altogether. Too many faults to list and to be honest it would be just too painful, but the current problem is an oil leak, which an independant mechanic says is the head gasket, but he says he needs information about a unit on the engine before he can change it and the local Citroen dealership refuse to give him the information. I also refuse to take it to the dealership as the cost would be considerably higher than the already astronomical cost should the independant dealer do the job (which looks woefully doubtful). I am in 2 minds whether or not to trade it in and get a new car or just drive it into a canal.

I traded in my C4 2litre diesel Exclusive after two and a half years, after I had had two Electronic Control Units fitted to keep cruise control/folding mirrors etc working. My understanding is that theses ECU’s cost over £1000 a go, so buy a C4 Excusive out of warrenty at your peril! - Melville Jones from Angus (Forfarshire)

My neighbour has had his for 5 years and has had no problems! I’ve only had mine 2 months so nothing to report so far!! - Tina Clarke from England

Submitted: 2010-01-16 | ID: 37729

Barry Turnbull, Northumberland

Citroen C4 2005

Absolutely terrible in cold weather. I’ve had one day when none of the doors would open but very commonly, the back doors don’t open in freezing weather. My daughter has to enter via the front and climb over into the back with me leaning in from the front to do her car seat up. Condensation is also a problem with ice on the inside of the windscreen on a cold day. The glove compartment door handle has also snapped off. No major mechanical problems though, touch wood.

Try wd40 it’s excellent. I have not had that problem, but am only 2 doors - Tina Clarke from England

Submitted: 2010-01-05 | ID: 37732

Chris, Warwickshire

Citroen C4 1.6 sx 2007

Had it 1 month, been to garage 3 times, says it all really.

Submitted: 2010-01-02 | ID: 37734

Chris, Sussex

Citroen C4 1.6tdi 110hp 2005

I’ve had the car for four months now and unlike most of the reviews I’ve had no problems at all. It’s a very good car and I recommend it to any small families or anyone who does a long commute because of the low running costs.

Submitted: 2009-11-19 | ID: 37728

C Edwards, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4 VTS 2005

I seem to be luckier then most. I love the car. I used to have a top spec laguna, but due to electrical faults I got rid off it. This has many of the same toys plus a few more. I’m not saying it’s perfect, because it’s not. I let my cousin drive it and he’s broken the glove box handle. Also, a larger then average mate sat in the passenger seat and his girth pulled the seat side pocket away. Both are easy’ish to re-fit so I’m chuffed.

Submitted: 2009-11-19 | ID: 37727

Wim Oosterhof, Flintshire

Citroen C4 1.6 HDI 2008

One year old and 25,000 miles. So far flawless except for a minor noisy right window. Easy to drive and exellent fuel consumption.

Submitted: 2009-08-10 | ID: 37735

Laura Hayes, Cheshire

Citroen C4 2006

Very smooth drive with good visibility. Excellent sound system. Generally a very easy car to drive with little complications.

Submitted: 2009-05-29 | ID: 37804

Lou Goldie, Gloucestershire

Citroen C4 320 CDi 2005

Me again - just had to replace the radiator for a third time and the car is just over 3 years old. Worst car I’ve ever owned and is due to be sold shortly. Had recalls, brake failures, loads of intermittent faults which may exist or not depending on accuracy of the car’s fault log. Not helped by terrible local dealership whose eyes light up as I walk in to ask for repairs (again). They are on speed dial on my phone which can’t be a good thing...

Submitted: 2009-02-26 | ID: 37800

Tony Stott, Northern Ireland

Citroen C4 C4 1.6 HDI coupe 2006

Like others mine has been into the garage so many times. ABS recall. Trim on inside wheel arches coming off within month of buying it. I’ve had so many speed control failures but the garage ignored it the first time it happened then it didn’t happen again until it was out of warranty. Now the turbo has failed. I’ve done 90000km; is the turbo covered by any warranty?

Submitted: 2009-02-23 | ID: 37801

Peter Wilks, Staffordshire

Citroen C4 1.6 SX 2005

As usual - great looks, good engine, reliability and ride suspension for type of car. Done 25,0000 miles only drawbacks were glove box which seems a standard fault cost £75 to replace entire door unit. Electric windows seem a bit temperamental in cold weather and the worst fault which pisses me off is the windows badly steaming up and the aircon even on full blast in humid cold weather cannot clear it. The back window heater does clear the back window within 5mins but the condensation in all the car windows gets so bad it literally sometimes starts dripping off when its at its worst on all windows. Asked dealer to check aircon and they say its ok. Also checked seals and they are ok also, and the seat covers stain with water marks very easily. I’m thinking of ditching car soon as its getting on a bit now but apart from these niggles has been an ok family car bought second hand for &pound5,700 back in 2006.

All of Peter’s review is true. It is the same for me - Shadrach Clarke from Yorkshire

Submitted: 2009-01-07 | ID: 37802

R Jones, Conwy

Citroen C4 Hatchback 2008

Best car ever! Reliable, very economical - 60mpg plus low insurance. What more does one want?!

Submitted: 2008-12-18 | ID: 37789

Roy Atwell, Berkshire

Citroen C4 1.6 D Cool 2007

My first C4 had a catalogue of problems too long to list, but with a leap of faith I was given a good deal to change to a new one last year (a 5 door diesel instead of my previous coupe). The only issue I have had with my current C4 is some early driver’s seat wear (the driver’s seat fabric was replaced without argument). The car is 100% reliable mechanically and my mpg averages around 53. It is extremely quiet and comfortable on motorways and around town and whilst not as eye-catching as the coupe it is more practical. The cruise control works fine as do all the electrics and I have covered over 30,000 miles so far. The glove box has only stuck once but anyone who has previously owned a C4 might know a carefully aimed whack underneath the glove box releases it! Overall, I can forgive such things as it is such a good all-round car and is still something different with a unique dashboard layout.

Submitted: 2008-09-30 | ID: 37794

Harry Kenyon, Flintshire

Citroen C4 sx 2005

Good looking car full of all kinds of gadgets. 89000 MILES LATER, 3 head gaskets replaced, Air con problems. Cruise control faulty, dealer unable to fix, tells me to remove battery and start again, problem still there. Glove box lid handle verry flimsy and stupid price from dealer [to replace]. Drivers seat jammed will not move back or forward, stuck in one position. Second Citroen that I have had, will not be going for third one. Shame because nice car to drive.

Submitted: 2008-09-18 | ID: 37793

K Timpson, Nottinghamshire

Citroen C4 SX 1.6 2005

Similar experience to Philip Astin, I bought the Citroen as I thought they were fairly reliable. I got a second hand ’55’ plate, with only 12000 miles on clock - thought it was a bargain - however I have only had the car 6 months and the following faults: Anti-pollution light 4 times; Ignition coils 2 times; Oil going down; Total breakdown on M1, due to loss of compression in cylinder 1 and 3, still waiting for Citroen to finish repairing the engine a week later! If you are thinking about getting this car, think twice, worth spending that bit more on non-French motors.

Hi there, just wondering if you had your problem sorted ’cause I’ve got the same, it would be cool if you could let me know, thanks - Ant Hatton from Staffordshire

Submitted: 2008-09-16 | ID: 37791

Francis Connelly, Dumbartonshire

Citroen C4 vtr+ 2006

Its an OK car; the technology seems to work most of the time but cruise control has it moody moments. Also had a fault with air conditioning which was fixed under warranty and has now returned. Will see if Citroen will repair for free as it seems to be a problem with this model if not will never buy another Citroen. This is my fifth Citroen and I can’t say I have had any problems with past cars.

Submitted: 2008-09-12 | ID: 37790

Chris Beck, Kent

Citroen C4 VTR+ 2Litre 2007

Had the car now for just over a year. Love the looks and the engine which is very quick. The little innovations such as the air freshener in the vents is a nice touch. Overall it is a very nice car, but... firstly I developed a rattle from the boot lid, not major but very annoying. Then the glove box lid became stuck and would not open. Also, drivers side rear brake light had gone out. All 3 I got fixed under warranty. Then when it came back, the wiring in the glove box was left out and then my reverse lights became stuck on. Along with this, my rear wiper stayed stuck on the intermittent setting when the front wipers were put on. Nothing major but very annoying on a car that’s only a year old. Now the rear brakes have developed an unnerving rubbing sound and my boot lid latch has become stuck. Oh, and also the rear seats seem to not want to lock into place. Another trip to the dealer would sort that out. But don’t let these niggles put you off what is apparently a very good car according to a number of reviews. Just be wary when buying. I must admit, I have put in an order for a Golf R32 as I will not buy French again.

Submitted: 2008-07-11 | ID: 37795

Lou Goldie, Gloucestershire

Citroen C4 320 CDi 2005

Have had my C4 for about 18 months and am truly sick of the amount of times it has to go to the dealers for repairs. I get intermittent dash "faults" which prove to be nothing on investigation . It has had the radiator replaced twice in the short time I’ve had it. Latest problem is turbo charge failure. Just waiting to hear whether the £1,500 costs are to be covered under the warranty....... would quite happily sell it for scrap. Make me an offer!

Submitted: 2008-07-11 | ID: 37796

Mike Stanley, Yorkshire

Citroen C4 VTR 2005

Had the car from new. A couple of recalls, and the engine management system developed a fault once which was fixed by the excellent local (Ipswich) dealer. Currently the cruise control has developed an intermittent fault. Cool looking 3 door model, with good fuel economy. If you are thinking of buying one of these try driving it at night first. For some reason the laminations in the windscreen produce a refracting effect which means that the lights of oncoming vehicles appear double. I mentioned this to the dealer who told me it was quite normal. Yeah right.

Submitted: 2008-06-09 | ID: 37797

Richard Graham, Gloucestershire

Citroen C4 1.6 hdi 2007

Car completely faultless in 10,000 miles, the only gripe is the un-Citroen like ride.

Submitted: 2008-05-16 | ID: 37798

Pam Cawthorne, England

Citroen C4 2006

Dutton Forshaw Blackpool Part exchanged a Mazda for a new 06 reg Citroen C4 Auto in March 2006. Up to 25/03/2008 it has had repairs to the value of £3,325 and was taken back to the garage on 10/04/08 for more work. Repairs include 2 new coolant sensors; car would not start on 2 of the coldest days of 07 and 08. 4 times when I was driving in November 2006 there was a loud bang and the car skidded to a stop with the dash board going haywire. I was traveling approx. 20, 30, 40 and 30 miles an hour at the time. The last 3 occasions I was on a dual carriage way, and should have been doing 70 mph. I was told it was a software problem and the car was safe to drive. On the 2nd and 3rd times I called out the AA and the car was taken to the garage. It was found that the engine was actually going into ’limp mode’. I had to have a new gear box and the car was only 7 months old - this cost £2,770. This was the only time I was provided with a replacement car as this repair took over 2 weeks. Since purchase I am continually receiving error messages on the multifunction displays, usually as the car is moving. I have had one of the display screens replaced but the errors still occur. For months last year I had to drive with the front passenger seat belt locked at all times because the car would bleep continuously otherwise. (I was told if I opened the passenger door the car ’thought’ a passenger should be sitting on the seat). The speed limiter is continually turning itself off and has done so since the car was purchased. This was again repaired in March 08 and it is now obvious that the speed limiter had not functioned properly since the car was purchased. One fault has been recorded 10 times on the car’s on board computer. I rang Citroen; they took all the details and I was told these would be put on their database. I was also given a case number but was told my complaints had nothing to do with Citroen, only with the dealer. It was up to me to ask for my money back or a replacement.

Submitted: 2008-04-28 | ID: 37799

Philip Astin, Worcestershire

Citroen C4 2.0HDI Exclusive 2005

Most unreliable car I have ever owned. Ironic really, as my wife has had 2 Saxo’s and a C2, and I chose the C4 because her cars had been so reliable. The story so far is nearly 30 days of the road already this year alone (2007). Here is the list, as they say, "in no particular order": Electric windows failed (about a dozen times), loss of engine power (more times than I can remember - probably about 50), parking sensors failed (twice), headlights failed (once), tyre pressures failed (twice), air conditioning leaked into the cabin (once), turbo failed (3 times), turbo sensor faulty (once), catch on the back seat so you could not use the back seats (once), some weirdly named valve (once), cruise control (not worked for 2 years), immobiliser stranded me (once), depolution system (lost count, but around 10 times I think). Finally, I have also had 2 recalls from Citroen. Most recently the CD player will not let go of my CD’s. Think a comedian is at work, as it ejects the CD so you can see 2-3 mm’s of CD sticking through the hole, then instantly re-loads it. If I am quick I can win this battle of wills, but usually takes me 2 or 3 goes! Disturbing that the car beats me more often than I beat it, but that is its only sign of being "alive with technology", as most of the technology in mine has died. I have been trying to get rid of the car, but unfortunately it is a company car so it is beyond my control. If it was my own car I would definitely feel a little more emotional. Citroen UK have been disinterested when our Transport Manager has complained to them - odd when he has bought a significant number of Citroens in the past. They did give us a case reference number. Don’t really see the benefit, as once they had done that they lost interest. Best e-mail started "we have reached the end of the line with this car, we don’t know what else we can do". This was when the car still had 2 or 3 faults, the engine one being serious (regular loss of power when cruising on the motorway) and re-occurring. The only 2 positive things I can really say about my car is that our company now operates a "no Citroen policy" and contrary to most reports I have read, the dealer I use has been excellent, and I now think of Steve the Service Manager as a friend! If anyone is interested, the dealer is Brooklyn Citroen, Worcester. Just remember to tell Steve that Phil sent you.

I experienced a like problem; loss of power when needed the most, ie overtaking. Fortunately my car is under warranty so I’m sat in garage at the moment. They do not seem able to explain why there is foam running through the fuel pipe. I thought it should be fuel.(Can any one offer an explanation?) The on board computer recognises there is a fault but cannot identify where it is - Keith Wheller from Berkshire

Submitted: 2007-11-20 | ID: 37787

Vinny Smith, Derbyshire

Citroen C4 1.4 SX 2007

Recently leased a 1.4 SX for my wife. Best small car in the market bar none. Great value for money and has all the mod cons of higher spec cars that cost much more. The drive is really smooth and the fual economy is excellent. It fits a baby seat in the back and pram in the boot no problem. Insurance is now a lot cheaper for us. The best feature it has is that when the car comes to a stop all the doors automaticly lock for security with a small button to disable. Great for single women at night. Well done Citroen..........

Submitted: 2007-10-19 | ID: 37786

• A response has been made to Phil Tong (06/03/2012 10:30:57)
  • A response has been made to Ian Gunning (06/12/2011 12:39:03)

• Johnny Loughead's question has been answered: "Your boot wiring harness may be damaged around the area it enters the body. Citroen has a recall for some of the C4s. I fixed mine myself, get access - Don Youngs from Australia' '..." (06/07/2014 05:20:14)
  • Allan's question has been answered: "Hi, I have a 2009 16. HDi, EGS, which sometimes exhibits similar jerkiness. It seems to be a 'learned' behaviour in the throttle position sensor. I tr - Niall from Ireland' '..." (26/06/2014 10:05:49)

Volkswagen Golf