Chevrolet Captiva consumer car reviews and road tests

Chevrolet Captiva consumer reviews by year of make:2007 2008 2009 2010

Chevrolet Captiva consumer car reviews

Alan Hall, England

Chevrolet Captiva 2010

My 2010 Chevrolet captiva had slight-crashing in 2nd and 3rd gears. I took to Pentagon Sheffield who reconditioned it under the warranty, but it is now worse than when i took it in. I was told by Pentagon that’s how they are and if I wasn’t happy to go back to whom I bought it from. Avoid manual chevrolet captiva’s.

Submitted: 2012-03-02 | ID: 37132

Keith Henderson, County Down

Chevrolet Captiva 2008

I bought this second hand with 40,000 on the clock and I can confirm, as with all other reviews, that this is a great car. Mine was bought from a main dealer and it came with a few minor issues (rear tail gate was leaking), but the dealer was fantastic and had it fixed in no time and with no hassle. As far as driving goes it’s really comfortable and the engine pulls really well. Yes there is a tiny bit of diesel grumble first thing in the morning, but it goes away quickly. The seven seat option has been really useful for me and as far as fuel goes it’s pretty good for a vehicle of it’s size and weight. The interior is just right, not too busy or bland and pretty well made (my kids haven’t damaged it yet). All in all a great car and a great ownership experience. And yes, I will buy another no problem.

Submitted: 2011-08-14 | ID: 37131

Russell Jones, Caerphilly

Chevrolet Captiva ltz 2.0 auto 2010

It’s the second captiva for me.The first was the 2.0 lt auto, and the only problem I had was from the ESC coming on whilst travelling. This caused the engine revs to slow as the cars computer thought the car was in a skid, but this was sorted out. The new version I have is the ltz auto. I am very pleased with this and the only "fault" I have is the alarm system light on the dash (next to the clock) doesn’t come on when the system is activated, but hopefully the dealers will sort this out for me. Otherwise like I said, very pleased with this new model.

Hi, did you ever get your alarm light sorted? I have the same problem with my Captiva 2010 - Daiv Devin from England

Did you ever get the light indicator next to the clock to come on when the alarm is activated? I have the same problem - Mike Cummins from Rhondda Cynon Taff

Eventually dealer replaced the time clock in centre of dash. The clock incorporated the Alarm LED. Although they kept saying that on 2010 models "the alarm light was never intended to show visually", BUT after arguing my point that when I took delivery of the NEW vehicle, it was working, they changed it - Russell Jones from Caerphilly

Submitted: 2011-03-30 | ID: 37127

Carlos, Portugal

Chevrolet Captiva VCDI 2.0 Automatic gearbox with manual override 2007

Before I bought it I considered lots of similar cars, Santa Fé, Sorento, Mitsubishi Outlander, I even tried a top level Touareg, and MB ... I ended up with the conclusion that the Chevy was the most balanced one. Mine is the 7 seater, 4x4 150Hp version, it has an automatic gearbox with manual override, and beige leather seats and wood like applications on doors and dashboard. The problem most guys have with the precision of the gearbox in my case doesn’t apply, because of the automatic transmission, it’s a bonus... I’m very pleased with it. Of course it has its pros and cons, for instance running with a cold engine is not very enjoyable, lack of power and very noisy, but after a few miles it’s smooth like any other. Of course if it had a diesel 2.5 L 6 cylinders or so engine with a few more Hp it probably would be more agile, but like I said it’s a balanced product. If there was one thing that they could have that they lack it is a GPS integrated system, and the posibility of a USB entrance on the audio system. Also they could have designed a bi-sided independent A/C, and more outlets of the A/C on the rear 3rd row, because the windows have a tendency to experience condensation. In general it’s a very good vehicle, well built and "honest". If I had to choose again I would buy it again! Congratulations to Chevy!

Now you’ve got the electronic amenities you’re asking for. GPS, mobile telecomunications, backing up camera, video/audio access ports. Performs as specified. no gimmicks, just ride one and you’ll see the difference. No late appointments for me in short notice. Fitted for the wise filipino family - dominic eli areno from Philippines

Submitted: 2010-05-13 | ID: 37124

Robert Lockhart, Argyllshire

Chevrolet Captiva LT 7 SEATER 2009

I bought the car after looking at the Freelander, couldn’t get the price down. I managed to get our 7 seater for 13,000 new and we all still love it, my wife, 2 kids and our chocolate lab have loads of room. It handles well, I’ve had it off road to go salmon fishing and it was no problem. I’ve had 40 mpg out the car on long runs and we’ve had it on holiday. For the price it really is some buy. We had 2 new Vauxhall Zafirias before this one, this has more torque, better seats at the back and I can use the car for light off road work. Kids love it, real value for money. Engine noise little high in town but fine on the motorway.

Submitted: 2010-04-04 | ID: 37126

Pete, Kent

Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 VCDi LT 7 seat 2008

This vehicle does what it says on the tin. Firstly the ’cons’. The diesel engine is a bit agricultural for a modern day vehicle. At idle and around town you are aware that is an oil burner, but once underway it quietens down significantly making it a peaceful tourer. The gearbox is rather notchy making baulked gear changes very possible until you get used to its foibles. The intermittent wiper speed selector is fiddly and the front/rear fog light switch is not very intuitive. The good poins. The diesel engine has good pull between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm and can get you around slower traffic without to many frey hairs. Interior space is very good with seats 6 and 7 being full size (but a bit restricted on leg length). The on demand 4 wheel drive works without fuss and during a recent snowy spell the vehicle never lost its grip at all, even on standard road tyres. The hill descent control is just magic. Fuel consumption has been around 32 mpg on bendy country lanes and in town. On a motorway run at the legal speed limit it is nearer 40 mpg. Steering and ride are a bit ’American’, non-precise steering, but this is not meant to be a sports car is it? You can see its American design even if was built for the European market and assembled in Korea. The USA version is called the Saturn Vue and has the obligatory gas guzzling engine. This vehicle is worth every pound of its price.

Submitted: 2010-01-24 | ID: 37122

Mike Salisbury, Leicestershire

Chevrolet Captiva 2.0Cdi LT 7 Seats 2008

I have thoroughly enjoyed this car since taking delivery in March 2008. It is a pleasure to drive both in town and on the motorway where it cruises almost nioselessly. It’s versatile having extra seats when you need them, when folded down into the boot floor the bootspace will take almost anything you are likely to want to move. Would I recommend it ? - 100% yes, you will not be disappointed.

Submitted: 2010-01-20 | ID: 37123

Kevin Pritchard, Staffordshire

Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 VDCi 7 Seats. 2008

After several months of searching for a replacement for my Vectra Elite, I finally chose the Captiva and I’m very pleased. The car looks more expensive than it was and I’ve recieved lots of admiring glances and good comments from friends and neighbours. The drive can be a little bouncy on poor roads but despite many reviews I’ve read the car is superb on motorways and A roads. The engine has plenty of power and overtaking is no problem. The car easily accomodates 2 adults, 2 growing kids and a dog along with large amounts of luggage. The main benefit is no more complaints of ’feeling sick’ coming from the back which was a constant whine with the Vectra. The added bonus of the seven seats is great for days out with grandparents although the dog has to stay at home! To sum up a great car for the growing family who can’t afford a big german equivalent.

Submitted: 2009-04-08 | ID: 37133

Ronald Irvine, Northern Ireland

Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 vcdi auto 7 seater 2008

I have bought a Captiva 7 seater and it gives me the best of all worlds , I have plenty of room and comfort for very little money GM have got it right , a 4x4,an estate car, a van, a saloon car, an MPV, so many variations in one vehicle and on top of all this elegance with very nice sporty clean crisp lines with the executive look, what other car company gives all this for so little money. Well, GM have won me over and with 50 years of cars and driving behind me I’m won over so I will stay with GM, I only wish this car had been in the UK earlier, so thank you GM and keep up the good work, Ron.

Submitted: 2008-11-10 | ID: 37136

Wayde George, Bedfordshire

Chevrolet Captiva LTX 2007

Lets start with the bad, the steering is very light (but this aids parking) and you loose the feel of the road when driving especially at speed. The view out the back is poor but that has been compensated for by large wing mirrors and reverse sensors (a must). My wife has a Land Rover Freelander and it handles better but I must say this vehicle is magnificent. Its a big car which looks and seems smaller than it really is and handles well for its size. There is lots of space kit and gadgets for the price and it does nothing wrong. There are SUV that do things better but none that do all as well as the Captiva and thats including the price. it may not bring you the respect of an X5 or Merc but it will make people sit up and look and for a whole lot more, give it a try.

Submitted: 2008-07-02 | ID: 37135

Mike Bury, Cornwall

Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 CDi LTX 5dr 2007

A very capable vehicle that really can hold it’s own. I’m very impressed with Chevrolet, this car really does what it says on the tin and is very enjoyable to drive. For the money, it’s a hell of a lot of car.

Submitted: 2008-04-20 | ID: 37134

Simon Thompson, Gloucestershire

Chevrolet Captiva 2.0 VCDi LT 5st 2007

I’m really pleased I chose the Captiva after test driving several different 4x4 including Nissan and Citroen. The Captiva offers huge interior space, lots of kit as standard and good looks. The price helps as well - a LOT of car for a little price. There is just one thing I’d change on this and that’s the level of engine noise, but you get used to it pretty quickly. Excellent value for money.

Submitted: 2007-10-27 | ID: 37137

• A response has been made to Russell Jones (30/03/2011 15:25:40)
  • A response has been made to Carlos (13/05/2010 20:35:41)

• Richard Lennon's question has been answered: "Mine did that - then the tailgate catch starting to fail so I assumed the alarm was sounding because the lock hadn’t shut correctly. The dealer says i - Jan M from Durham' '..." (14/05/2013 10:32:51)

Chevrolet Captiva

2011 - A bolder look for the front end of the Chevrolet Captiva doesn’t turn it from SUV into crossover, but this capable car is all the better for its revisions. A classier cabin appeals and the engines have been improved. Only downside is the prices have crept up to make the Captiva good but not great va [...]

An image of the Chevrolet Captiva 2011

Chevrolet Captiva

Ikon 2.0 LS - The Chevrolet Captiva Ikon is the special edition version of the popular SUV, offering plenty of space and chunky good looks, in an attractive low price package. The special edition Ikon is based on the standard LS edition which comes with a generous level of specification anyway, but with the Ikon [...]

An image of the Chevrolet Captiva Ikon 2.0 LS