BMW X5 consumer car reviews and road tests

BMW X5 consumer reviews by year of make:2004 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011

BMW X5 consumer car reviews

Adam Simmons, Dorset

BMW X5 2008

Luxury and power are the appeal, but reliability is the achiles heel. I have had small niggles, but at 30,000 miles a fuel pump and turbo charger have failed. Goodbye £3000. Beware, unless you have deep pockets or extended warranty.

Submitted: 2012-12-16 | ID: 37043

Cobey Poletti, Australia

BMW X5 4.4 sport 2007

This is my second X5 and we are yet to find a comparable drive in this class of vehicle. Service costs can get high however and both cars have had the front lower control arm bushes changed and suffered heavy rear tyre wear. Good safe car to transport the family!

Perhaps sorting out the rear bushes would save you money on rear tyres. It appears there is a heavy wear problem hidden by the air suspension keeping the bushes under tension hence the wear doesn’t show at the wheel. Have a look on YouTube under BMW tyre wear - Allan Taylor from Norfolk

Submitted: 2012-05-18 | ID: 37040

Andrew Smith, Leicestershire

BMW X5 3.0 SD M Sport 2008

Hmmm, firstly let’s get this right, it’s not a sporty car and it’s not a fast car, it’s far too big and heavy. It is however a fast 4x4 but if you think it’s going to be like a fast car, forget it. If you want to speed along with your family get a 550 sport instead. As a 4x4, it’s spacious, kids love being high up, 7 seats useful at times but fiddly to use, sounds ok for a diesel, 25 mpg, eats £300 tyres after 10-15k, some unreliability niggles, but prestigious. Rides firmly but much better IMHO than those silly floaty air suspended RRs and much quicker. If you want to make a statement, you will, but at the end of the day it’s for lugging stuff around and not driving pleasure.

Submitted: 2012-05-01 | ID: 37042

Simon Davies, Oxfordshire

BMW X5 diesel 2010

When I first got this car I was overall very pleased with it. As time went on I realised what a mistake I’d made, fuel economy is around 22mpg and servicing is outrageous. The huge chunky tyres last around 10,000 miles and are useless off road. Other drivers pull out on you as most people think you are an arrogant BMW driver. I’m getting rid of it this week and will never buy a BMW again.

Submitted: 2011-11-14 | ID: 37039

Christo, United States of America

BMW X5 Diesel 2011

My second X5. Previously owned RR Sport. Does not even come close. The Brits sure can glue nice looking wood to a dashboard but the Germans know how to put a great car together. <br /><br />

Submitted: 2011-11-09 | ID: 37038

Mieke, Canada

BMW X5 3.5 diesel 2010

I have a 2010 BMW X5 with twin turbo’s and 3.5 diesel engine. The thing can go 0-60 in less then 6 seconds and is amazing. Also it doesn’t smell like diesel so it’s good. I can also go over 1000KM with out needing to fill up on gas. The third row seating has very bad legroom and can only be used for kids and not adults. I would also recommend getting an extended warranty because as everything’s automatic then something is bound to go! The rims and tyres are over £2,000, which is over priced so I would suggest either keeping the ones that it comes with or buy some off the internet for a cheaper price.

Submitted: 2011-08-14 | ID: 37037

A Law, Hong Kong

BMW X5 3.0 Si 2008

This generation X5 is just awesome, good handling, high performance and good carriage with seven seats and flexible for close five of them. We used it traveling in between Hong Kong and China and we felt safe and comfortable the whole way. We have no regrets owning our Bmw X5, best SUV/SAV ever so far.

Submitted: 2011-03-25 | ID: 37034

Jie Geng, Canada

BMW X5 X5 50i M-package 2011

I bought a X5 50i M-package which has a 4.4l twin turbo inside. It can do 0-60km per hour in 5.5 seconds, it’s a very fast car. When you drive it, you feel the car just is like a tank, it’s very heavy but still can run very fast. The sound of the car is very great, like a racing sport car but if you drive this car over 170km per hour you will feel it is not fast.

Submitted: 2011-03-25 | ID: 37035

Luis Oliveira, Portugal

BMW X5 3.0 d 2004

I would wish to add to previous comments that I have used this car extensively to tow a caravan around most of Europe during my Summer vacations. It always leaves me with the comforting feeling of ample power, even when climbing steep grades, and of safety to spare. This is the second X5 I have owed and the first was so good that I would no change brand. I previously owned a Range Rover 2.5 TD and it played a few unpleasant tricks on me, like going too hot with temperature gauge moving into the red zone, and forcing me to make frequently when towing uphill and once dying on me on a road in Germany, with caravan in tow. You can imagine the annoyance and the frustration. Well, no more of that.

Submitted: 2010-08-03 | ID: 37036

Ian Gibson, Yorkshire

BMW X5 35 xd xdrive m sport 2009

This is 4th new shape I have had. They are stunning, a complete and superb drive. I would recommend the adaptive drive, auto headlight adjust and usb port connected. The drive is fantastic, economy at 25 is nowhere near combined, but I only do short journeys. A sublime mile eater. There are niggles with the rear wheel arch pits so I have fitted f mud flaps and had some plastic coating in that area - money well spent. Very, very well recommended - buy buy buy!

Submitted: 2009-10-27 | ID: 37033

Bernard Leclercq, Aberdeenshire

BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport 2007

Lovely car to drive, the performance of the diesel engine is out of this world - it pulls away with no effort and still achieves 30MPG. I do regular long distances (+600 miles a day) and it is a pleasure to do so. I did drive the Range Rover and Mercedes ML but found the RR very slow and the ML boring to drive. I do have the comfort seats and the panoramic sunroof.

Tyres possibly under inflated, excessive wear down the middle of the tread means over inflated tyres hth - from Conwy

Submitted: 2008-11-17 | ID: 37044

Martin, Kent

BMW X5 3.0d SE 2007

Best BMW I have ever had (having had M3,540 and 545). Ride and handling for a car of this size is excellent. Built quality good, although in 20k have had a few problems. Wipers stopped working, dealer unable to find fault but they started working again. Rear parking brake failed leaving the car unable to be moved (I know know there is a manual release). Running cost 26mpg. If you have runflat tyres - ouch! check availability before needing new ones. Fronts wear on outside and lasted only 18k, backs should last 30k+. Only negative point is its size - parking can be difficult due to its width.

Submitted: 2008-07-30 | ID: 37047

Ashley Chouhan, England

BMW X5 3.0sd M Sport 2008

A classy, luxurious car that is stunning to drive. I had an X5 before and nothing comes close to the new one. Looks the business, has German quality. It is FIRST CLASS travel.

I had same problem, mine turned out to be cable twisted behind the heater knob. Plastic fascia around radio unclips (be careful) then star screwdriver to get to cable behind the heater knobs - Jay Potter from Kent

Submitted: 2008-07-14 | ID: 37048

Roger Peterson, Durham

BMW X5 30d SE Auto 5dr 2008

A real contender to the Discovery, which was my previous car. I’ve decided to go for the X5 because it feels more exciting, in design and driving exerience; that and the wife said she prefered it. The cabin layout and excellent i-drive system do make for a very pleasurable ride and the comfort level is very luxurious. Storage space is excellent also. I know it’s slightly contentious to jump ship from a British made car and to one that has less off-road ability but I don’t want to drive up mountains, I want a car that’s reliable and can cruise myself and my family in complete comfort and safety and this car fits the bill. BMW know their market and design superbly for it.

Submitted: 2008-04-24 | ID: 37046

Lionel Ackroyd, Yorkshire

BMW X5 3 ltr Sport diesel 2004

I drove a Saab Aero Auto, Audi A6 Avant. The X5 gives "Sports" performance with car handling. The Auto / Manual tiptronic box is great, and yes it smooths out all the bumps in the Yorkshire roads. An excellent machine. I am a pensioner as well.

Submitted: 2007-12-20 | ID: 37053

Matt Blake, Cambridgeshire

BMW X5 3.0d SE 5 dr 2007

Excellent handling and responsiveness on the X5, for me, really sets it apart from the competition. Terrific to drive and looks the biz, what more could you want?

Submitted: 2007-09-06 | ID: 37052

Dave, Devon

BMW X5 3.0i Sport Petrol 2007

The BMW X5 is like a 4x4 BMW 5 Series. Great car, roomy, but as with any BMW the must have extras do hike up the price though.

Submitted: 2007-08-24 | ID: 37051

Martin Henson, Hertfordshire

BMW X5 BMW X5 3.0d SE 2007

I looked at the Range Rover Sport as well as the X5 but as much as I like to buy British I’m afraid, for me, the X5 has more to offer. The handling is superb and the car just looks fantastic. Can’t fault it.

Submitted: 2007-08-10 | ID: 37050

BMW X5

The new BMW X5 is a significant improvement upon the old BMW X5. Featuring an excellent choice of engines, the third row of seats turns the X5 into a genuine seven-seater. The X5 is a capable performer both on-road and off-road.

An image of the BMW X5